With the history of agricultural progress in Whatcom county the name of Jacob Hablutzel has been closely identified for more than forty years and as one of the pioneer settlers of Lawrence township he is widely known and highly esteemed. A native of Switzerland, he was born May 24, 1861, and his parents, Martin and Elizabeth Hablutzel, were lifelong residents of that country. In 1882, when a young man of twenty-one, he severed home ties and sought the opportunities of the United States. He lived for a time in Ohio and in 1884 came to Whatcom county. In 1885, before the land was surveyed, he settled in the northern part of Lawrence township, at that time a wilderness far removed from civilization. The nearest store, conducted by William Moultry, was five miles distant, and at Nooksack Crossing there was another store, of which Mrs. John Simpson was the proprietor. After the township was surveyed Mr. Hablutzel homesteaded a quarter section, and of this he now retains eighty acres. He has cleared most of the land, converting it into a productive tract, and has built a fine home. He also operates a dairy on his ranch and specializes in pure bred Guernsey cattle. He is an exponent of the scientific school of farming and his well improved homestead, equipped with labor-saving devices and supplied with modern conveniences, is convincing proof of his up-to-date methods. His uncle, Herman Wusher, came to the township in 1881 and homesteaded land in the vicinity of Mr. Hablutzel's ranch, spending the remainder of his life in this district.
In 1906 Mr. Hablutzel married miss Lottie Howarth, who was born in Kentucky and came to Whatcom county in 1905. They have a son, Ray, who is eighteen years of age. Mr. Hablutzel is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and exercises his right of franchise in support of the candidates and measures of the republican party. He left home a poor boy and through the exercise of the qualities of industry, perseverance and self-denial has reached the goal of prosperity, gaining at the same time the respect, confidence and good will of his fellowmen, for high principles have guided him in all relations of life.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 532-533
Dave Hadars, one of Bellingham's energetic and progressive young manufacturers, is the proprietor of a well equipped factory for the manufacture of suit cases, traveling bags, shopping bags, lunch bags, "telescopes" and ladies' hand bags. He is a native of Russia, born February 8, 1893, and in 1912, when nineteen years of age, came to the United States and proceeded out to the state of Washington. For some time after his arrival here Mr. Hadars was located in Tacoma and then went to Seattle, where he presently became engaged in the manufacture of trunks and suit cases and was there until 1924, when he closed out his affairs in that city and came to Bellingham. Here he embarked in business, operating Coast Bag & Suit Case Factory, with a well fitted establishment at No. 319 West Holly street, and has since been thus engaged, meeting with success. In addition to his large local custom and retail trade he has developed a considerable wholesale trade, and the products of his factory enter the market as far south as Portland, the Hadars stamp having become recognized as a guaranty of substantial manufacture. Mr. Hadars specializes in repairing and gives special attention to mail orders.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 890
Hadfield, A. G.
It is a compliment worthily bestowed to say that Whatcom county is honored by the citizenship of A. G. Hadfield, whose fine farm is located in the northwestern section of the county. He has achieved definite success through his own efforts and is thoroughly deserving of the proud American title of self-made man, the term being one that cannot but appeal to the loyal admiration of all who are appreciative of our national institutions and the privileges afforded for individual advancement. Mr. Hadfield was born in Waukesha county, Wisconsin, in 1867, and is a son of A. and Eliza (Cooper) Hadfield. His father was born and reared in Liverpool, England, and after coming to the United States followed the trade of a shoemaker, in addition to which he also farmed. His death occurred in 1914. During the Civil war began buying cattle and norses, which line of business he followed until 1870, when he went to Iowa and engaged in farming on three hundred and twenty acres of land, to which he devoted his attention during the remaining years of his life. He was twice married, having twelve children by the first union and five by the second. His second wife, and the mother of the subject of this sketch, was born in England, becoming the wife of Mr. Hadfield after arriving in this country, and her death occurred in 1899.
A. G. Hadfield secured in education in the public schools of Iowa, to which state the family moved when he was but three years old. He was reared to the life of a farmer and remained on his father's farm until he had attained his majority, when he engaged in farming on his own account, renting land until 1905, when he came to Whatcom county. Here he continued his farming operations, renting the Calhoun farm at Pleasant valley, which he operated for four years, at a monthly rental of three dollars. He then rented the Dell Gooden place, where he remained for two years, and next moved to the David Hintz farm, which he rented for eight years. In the spring of 1919 Mr. Hadfield bought his present farm of twenty acres, on which he has done considerable clearing, fifteen acres being now cleared and in cultivation, the remainder of the land being in pasturage. He gives special attention to dairying, keeping five good grade milk cows, for which he raises his own feed on the farm. He has made many permanent and substantial improvements on the place and has shown himself a thoroughly practical and up-to-date farmer, doing thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes, and he has gained a high standing among his fellow agriculturists.
On April 5, 1892, in Mitchell county, Iowa, Mr. Hadfield was married to Miss Orrie Doane, who was born in DeKalb county, Illinois, in 1868, a daughter of Frank W. and A. M. (Thornton) Doane. Her father, who was a native of Vermont, lived successively in Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa, and in 1907 came to Whatcom county, where his death occurred in 1909. Mrs. Hadfield's mother was born in Cook county, Illinois, and now lives at Custer, Whatcom county, with a daughter, Mrs. J. A. McDonald. They were the parents of eight children, four sons and four daughters. Mrs. Hadfield received her education in the public schools of Iowa, and she possesses many gracious qualities, being a popular member of the circles in which she moves. To Mr. and Mrs. Hadfield have been born two children: Beulah, who lives at home and who has taught twelve years in the public schools of Whatcom county; and Roy, who married Miss Nina Colby, of Blaine, and lives in Blaine. Mr. Hadfield is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He possesses to a marked degree those qualities which commend a man to the good opinion of his fellowmen, for he has not only been successful in his individual affairs but has also been not unmindful of the general welfare of the community, which he has endeavored to advance in every possible way. He is generous and accommodating in his relations with his neighbors and is friendly and genial in his social intercourse, so that he has won a host of warm and loyal friends, who admire him for his genuine worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 827-828
Alonzo M. Hadley, one of the leading representatives
of the legal fraternity in Whatcom, Washington, and an absolute authority upon all matters pertaining to his profession,
was born October 4, 1867, at Sylvania, Indiana, a son of Jonathan and Martha (McCoy) Hadley, the former of whom
was a farmer of Sylvania and died in 1892, and the latter was a native of southern Indiana, of Scotch-Irish descent,
now residing at Bloomingdale, Indiana.
Alonzo M. Hadley has two brothers, Hiram E. Hadley, of the supreme bench of the state of Washington; Lin H. Hadley, member of the law firm of Dorr & Hadley, of Whatcom, the other members being C. W. Dorr and A. M. Hadley. The latter was educated in the public schools, the Bloomingdale Academy and Earlham College. Two years intervened between his completion of the public school course and his entering the academy, which he employed teaching in the public schools of Indiana. Leaving the academy in 1887, he again taught school for one year, when he entered college at Richmond, Indiana, remaining two years. For one year more he taught school, and then commenced his legal studies in the law office of Elwood Hunt of Rockville, Indiana, being admitted to the bar in 1891 at that place. In September of that same year Mr. Hadley formed a partnership with Elwood Hunt, and continued the connection until June, 1894, when he withdrew, and went to Indianapolis and practiced until October, 1898. In November, 1898, Mr. Hadley removed to Whatcom, and entered the firm of Dorr & Hadley, which is one of the leading firms in the city, and is attorney for the largest corporation in the northwest of Washington.
Mr. Hadley has always been a Republican and has taken an active part in politics in Whatcom, as well as in other localities. In 1896 he was a candidate for the secretaryship of the state central committee of Indiana and was allied with the Harrison constituency, and was defeated by one vote. Upon numerous occasions he has been called upon to attend both county and state conventions in Indiana, and county conventions in Whatcom.
June 12, 1901, Mr. Hadley was married to Edna Beebe, a daughter of Almon M. Beebe, of Kankakee, Illinois, a retired farmer. She was born at Kankakee, and hers is an old American family of English descent. Mr. Hadley was born into membership in the Friend's Society, and has never withdrawn his name, while his wife is a Presbyterian. Fraternally Mr. Hadley is a blue lodge Mason. Mr. Hadley is one of the best posted men in his profession to be found in the entire state, and he is recognized as one of its most logical and successful attorneys.
A History of the Puget Sound Country Volume 1, Col. William Farrand Prosser, pub. 1903
Hadley, Alonzo M.
Alonzo M. Hadley, who enjoys an enviable reputation as a corporation lawyer, has back of him thirty-four years of experience as a legal practitioner and has long been recognized as one of the leading members of the Bellingham bar. He was born October 4, 1867, in Indiana, and his parents, Jonathan and Martha (McCoy) Hadley, were also natives of the Hoosier state. He was reared on his father's farm and was graduated from Bloomingdale Academy. He attended Earlham College at Richmond, Indiana, and read law in the office of Elwood Hunt, a well known attorney of Rockville, that state. In 1891 he was admitted to the bar and practiced at Rockville for three years. He moved to Indianapolis in 1894 and for four years followed his profession in that city. In 1898 he came to the west and in November of that year located in Bellingham, becoming a member of the firm of Dorr & Hadley, consisting of C. W. Dorr, Lindley H. Hadley and himself. In 1910 Mr. Dorr established his home in Seattle, Washington, and the firm in Bellingham then became Hadley, Hadley & Abbott. The business was conducted under that style until March 1, 1915, when Lindley H. Hadley went to Washington, D. C., as congressman from this district, and his brother Alonzo has since been senior member of the firm of Hadley & Abbott, which has successfully handled many of the important cases tried in the local courts. Mr. Hadley is thoroughly familiar with the fundamental principles of jurisprudence but has made a special study of corporation law, on which he is well informed, and his work is chiefly in connection with litigation pertaining to fisheries and the lumber industry.
On June 12, 1901, Mr. Hadley was united in marriage to Miss Edna Beebe, of Kankakee, Illinois. Mr. Hadley is a republican in his political views and his interest in Bellingham's progress is indicated by his affiliation with the Chamber of Commerce, of which he has been a trustee. He is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Masonic fraternity and has filled important offices in the latter organization. He is a member of Bellingham Bay Lodge, No. 44, F. & A. M.; a past high priest of Bellingham Bay Chapter, No. 12, R. A. M.; a past eminent commander of Hesperus Commandery, No. 8, K. T.; a charter member of Bellingham Consistory, No. 8, A. & A. S. R., in which he has taken the thirty-second degree, and has received the honorary degree of K. C. C. H., and he is also a Noble of the Mystic Shrine. He likewise belongs to the Bellingham Country Club. Mr. Hadley owes his success to intensive study and a natural aptitude for the law and in every relation of life has conformed his conduct to a high standard, thus winning the respect, confidence and good will of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 380-381
Hadley, Lindley Hoag; Hon.
The name of Hon. Lindley Hoag Hadley is inscribed upon the pages of Bellingham's history in terms of honor and success. He is a lawyer of high attainments and for six terms has been congressman from this district. Manifesting at all times a statesman's grasp of the vital questions and issues of the day, he has so conducted the interests intrusted to his charge that beneficial results have accrued, and his course has received widespread commendation.
Mr. Hadley was born June 19, 1861, in Sylvania, Indiana, of which state his parents, Jonathan and Martha (McCoy) Hadley, were also natives, and his father was one of its pioneer farmers. Lindley H. Hadley attended a local academy and also took a course at the Wesleyan University of Illinois. He mastered the fundamental principles of the law and on September 6, 1889, was admitted to the Indiana bar. He had previously been engaged in teaching and at Rockville, Indiana, filled the position of superintendent of schools. He continued his educational work until the fall of 1890 and on September 10 of that year arrived in Bellingham, where he has since practiced with marked success. His naturally keen mind has been thoroughly disciplined through close study, and his arguments are lucid, cogent and always to the point. For a few months he was associated with his brother, Hiram E., and Thomas Slade. After the latter's withdrawal from the firm the brothers were alone until October 16, 1891, when the firm of Dorr, Hadley & Hadley was formed, and this relationship was continued until H. E. Hadley was called to the bench of the superior court of Washington in the fall of 1896. He served as judge of the supreme court from 1901 until 1909 and is now a member of the Seattle bar. The other partner, C. W. Dorr, went to San Francisco, California, as counsel for the Alaska Packers Association and subsequently located in Seattle, again forming a partnership with H. E. Hadley, with whom he practiced until his death.
Lindley H. Hadley became senior member of the firm of Hadley, Hadley & Abbott, his associates being his brother, Alonzo M. Hadley, and W. H. Abbott, and remained at the head of the organization until March 1, 1915, three days before the beginning of his term in congress, to which he was elected in 1914. He then withdrew from the firm, which is now known as Hadley & Abbott, and has since been a member of the national legislative body, taking a leading part in its deliberations. He was selected as one of the members of the merchant marine and fisheries committee, on which he served for four years, and in that connection accomplished much important work in relation to the shipping board bill and the Alaska fisheries legislation, while he was also instrumental in improving the merchant marine service. Believing that the great increase in drug addicts is largely responsible for the appalling increase in crime in the United States, he has devoted much time and effort to the promotion of anti-narcotic legislation, acting as chairman of three sub-committees. He was assigned to the thirteenth position on the ways and means committee, on which he now holds fifth place, and prior to the entrance of our nation into the world conflict he strongly advocated preparatory measurers, realizing that war with Germany was inevitable. He was an ardent supporter of the soldiers' compensation act, and he espouses the moral side of every issue, vigorously opposing whatever he regard as useless or vicious legislation. For seven years he has specialized in taxation and tariff matters and has three times aided in revising the revenue law. He is a deep student and a recognized authority on these branches of legislation.
On June 1, 1887, Mr. Hadley married Miss Lavelette Cross, of Rockville, Indiana, a daughter of Joseph F. and Mary (Trevy) Cross, both natives of Virginia. To Mr. and Mrs. Hadley were born three children: Virginia, who is the wife of G. R. Trafton, of Seattle; Gordon, deceased; and Helen, who was married to McLean Gander and also lives in Seattle.
Preeminently loyal and public-spirited in all matters of citizenship, Mr. Hadley has utilized his talents as readily for the public weal as for his own aggrandizement, and he was chairman of the commission which framed the charter of Bellingham. He is a director of the First National Bank of Bellingham and was the first president of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce after the consolidation. He is a Knight Templar Mason and in the Scottish Rite Consistory has taken the thirty-second degree. He belongs to the Mystic shrine and is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. A man of broad views and wide interests, Mr. Hadley has ever been dominated by a strong sense of duty, and the record of his achievements affords the best commentary upon his ability and character.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 627-628
Haggard, Leslie E.
Leslie E. Haggard, a product of the west, has been engaged in merchandising at Maple Falls for a period of eighteen years and is also filling the office of postmaster. He was born February 9, 1878, and is a native of Minnesota. His parents were Henry E. and Sarah E. (Mathews) haggard, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Wisconsin. They were among the early settlers of Minnesota and in 1893 came with their family to Washington, locating in Seattle. After a short stay in that city they journeyed to Eugene, Oregon, where the mother still resides. The father passed away in 1896.
Leslie E. Haggard attended the public schools of Minnesota, and he was a youth of fifteen when his parents migrated to the Pacific coast. He was graduated from the high school at Eugene, Oregon, and for two years devoted his energies to the profession of teaching. In January, 1902, he entered the employ of a merchant at Wickersham, Washington, in the capacity of bookkeeper and soon assimilated the details of the business. In March, 1908, he opened a general store at Maple Falls and in the intervening period has established a large trade. His stock is carefully selected and attractively displayed and patrons of his store receive good value for the amount expended.
In 1904 Mr. Haggard was united in marriage to Miss Julia Bottiger, a native of Seattle and a daughter of Henry Bottiger, a well-to-do farmer residing in the neighborhood of Wickersham. Mr. and Mrs. Haggard have a family of three children: Henry and Josephine, who are attending the State University of Washington; and Fred, a high school pupil. Mr. Haggard is connected with the Woodmen of the World and also belongs to Bellingham Lodge, no. 194, of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a stanch adherent of the democratic party and has been postmaster of Maple Falls since 1915. His long retention in the office is proof of the quality of his service, and he has also performed valuable work as township supervisor and member of the school board. His life has been guided by a high standard of conduct and no resident of the community enjoys in greater measure the respect and good will of its citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 648-649
Hagin, Roy Eugene
Specific mention is made within the pages of this work of many of the worthy citizens of Whatcom county, men who have figured in the growth and development of this favored section of the commonwealth and whose interests have been identified with its every phase of progress, each contributing in his sphere of action to the well being of the community in which he resides and to the advancement of its normal and legitimate growth. Among this number stands Roy Eugene Hagin, of Sumas, who owns some splendid farm land in that locality and is widely known as an expert millwright. He was born in Illinois on the 27th of June, 1876, a son of Albert and Mary (Bennett) Hagin, the former of whom was a native of Illinois and the latter of Iowa. The father went to Oregon about 1879, remaining there a year, and then came to Washington, stopping at Seattle. At that time he could have bought ten acres of what is now the heart of that city for one thousand dollars. After a short stay in Seattle, Mr. Hagin came to Clearbrook, Whatcom county, and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, four miles north of Everson. He cut and slashed twenty acres of the timber, but a year later he abandoned that place and bought one hundred and sixty acres of the Cummins homestead, fifteen acres of which were cleared and on which stood a good log house. He cleared the remainder of this land, developed it into a good farm and lived there until his death, which occurred in November, 1909. His widow survived him a number of years, passing away in 1917. They were the parents of six children, namely: Mrs. Lottie Jamieson, of Tacoma, Washington; Roy E., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Grace Turuer (sic), of Spokane, Washington; Edward, who lives on the home farm; Mrs. Nettie Kaden, who lives at Monroe, Washington; and Miss Cora.
Roy E. Hagin was educated in the public schools of Clearbrook and he then devoted himself to assisting his father on the farm until his marriage. He then turned his attention to the occupation of millwright and saw filer, in both of which lines he is acknowledge to be an expert. During the past twelve years he has been with C. L. Miller, at Sumas. He owns a nice, attractive home in Sumas and also owns part of the old homestead farm.
On April 18, 1908, Mr. Hagin was married to Miss Nellie E. Jones, who was born in Minnesota, a daughter of Henly and Anna (Folsom) Jones, the former of whom was a native of Michigan and the latter of Minnesota. The father, who was a saw filer by trade, came to Washington in 1889 and, locating at old Whatcom, followed his vocation there for several years, retiring from active work about 1912. His death occurred April 29, 1922, and his widow is now living at Everett, Washington. To him and his wife were born three children, namely: Nellie E., (Mrs. Hagin); Robert F., who lives in Lynden; and Paul K., of Norfolk, Virginia, who has been in the United States navy for seventeen years, serving on transport ships during the World war. To Mr. and Mrs. Hagin have been born four children, namely: Leonard E., born December 31, 1909; Gladys, born May 17, 1911; Dorothy, born January 21, 1917; and Robert E., born November 12, 1923. Mr. Hagin has long been numbered among the substantial and dependable men of his community, having shown himself the possessor of those attributes which make for good citizenship. He supports all measurers for the public benefit and works in every possible way for the material, civic and moral welfare of his fellow citizens. Because of these qualities he has attained a high place in the esteem of all who have come in contact with him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 240-241
Hale, Verne W.
Forceful, energetic and determined, Verne W. Hale is well qualified for the conduct of important business interests, and although young in years he has already become an influential figure in mercantile circles of Bellingham. A native of Michigan, he was born September 25, 1894, and is a son of C. E. and Alta (Cram) Hale. His parents migrated to the Pacific northwest, arriving in Bellingham on the 1st of January, 1906, and for some time the father was employed in the mills. He then formed the Hale Taxicab Company and conducted the business until 1920, when he opened the Bellingham Outdoor Store, of which he was the proprietor for five years. He is now operating the Cabin Automobile Camp on the Ferndale road, and success has attended all of his undertakings. Opportunity has ever been to him the call to action, and his progressive spirit is guided and controlled by sound judgment.
Verne W. Hale attended the Fairhaven high school and for a year was a student in the pharmaceutical department of the University of Washington. He was employed as a drug clerk for a time and was next associated with his father in the taxicab business. On June 1, 1925, he became the owner of the Bellingham Outdoor Store, which is located at No. 1223 Elk street and occupies one story and the basement of a building thirty-five by one hundred feet in dimensions. He carries a full line of outdoor wearing apparel, men's furnishings and camping equipment, and his trade is rapidly increasing. He has inherited the executive ability and business acumen of his father and is one of the city's most enterprising young merchants.
In 1915 Mr. Hale married Miss Georgia Dickerson, a native of Blaine, Washington, and a daughter of Ernest and Cora Dickerson, who came to Whatcom county as pioneers. Mr. Dickerson was prominently identified with logging operations, also conducting a sawmill, and his widow is now a resident of Oakland, California. Mr. and Mrs. Hale are the parents of two children: Verne W., Jr., and Robert. Mr. Hale is allied with the republican party but has never aspired to public office. His interest centers in his business, and through concentrated effort and good management he is forging steadily to the fore in the line in which he specializes.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 703-704
Halverson, Henry C.
Enterprising, self-reliant and determined, Henry C. Halverson typifies the progressive spirit of the west, and although but twenty-three years of age he exerts a strong influence in mercantile circles of Lawrence. He was born in Whatcom county on the 9th of October, 1902, and is a son of H. B. and Carrie (Fingalson) Halverson. The mother was born in the state of Minnesota and the father is a native of Norway. They came to Whatcom county in 1901 and the father purchased land in Mountain View township. He also owns property at Cottonwood Beach, where he conducts a summer resort.
Henry C. Halverson was graduated from the high school at Ferndale and remained at home until 1924. He clerked for a year in the Mundel store at Lawrence and on January 1, 1925, joined Ivar B. Moen in purchasing the business, which they are now conducting. They are general merchants, handling groceries, flour and feed, dry goods and boots and shoes, and in response to their combined efforts the trade of the firm is rapidly expanding. The business is wisely managed and rests upon the solid foundation of honor and integrity. Mr. Halverson is affiliated with the Lutheran church and casts his ballot for the candidates and measures of the republican party. He is a young man of worth and intelligence and his future is a most promising one.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 796
Frank Ham, well known as a substantial farmer and dairyman of Custer township, living in the immediate vicinity of the village of Custer, is an Englishman by birth but has been a resident of this country since the days of his young manhood. He formerly had his home for years in Nome, Alaska, having gone in there in the days of the gold "rush" nearly thirty years ago, and when in a reminiscent mood has some mighty good stories to tell of the stirring scenes enacted there when men from all parts of the world were in a mad quest for gold or for such unnatural excitement as attends the making of a gold camp in a new country. On leaving Alaska he sought a home in Washington, took over a piece of land in Whatcom county and is now quite contentedly following the peaceful and uneventful life of a dairyman. He is doing well in his operations, and is satisfied with the choice which brought him here. Mr. Ham was born on a farm in Somersetshire, England, June 21, 1871, and is a son of Edwin Ham and wife, the latter dying when her son Frank was but a babe. Edwin Ham, who also was born in Somersetshire, spent all his life there.
Reared in Somersetshire, Frank Ham was educated in the public schools and remained on the farm with his father until he was nineteen years of age when, in 1890, he came to the United States, landing at New York. For a year he was employed at farm labor in New York state and then came to Washington, locating in the White River (Thomas) settlement in King county. For four years he worked there at farm labor and then leased land in the Kent neighborhood and engaged in farming on his own account until 1899 when he closed out his interests there and went into the Atlin gold fields in British Columbia. In 1900 he followed the rush into the Alaskan fields and became located at Nome, where he remained for eight years, at the end of which time he "came out," spending a winter in Washington. He then returned to Nome and two years later took a trip back to his old home in England, returning thence to Nome, where he remained until 1911, when he "came out" for good and has since been a resident of Whatcom county. Upon settling here Mr. ham bought the tract of fifty-two acres on which he now is living in the vicinity of Custer, fifteen acres of which tract was cleared at that time. He has cleared the remainder, improved his place in up-to-date fashion and now has a model dairy farm here and a fine orchard. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, has a good herd of dairy cattle and is carrying on his operations in accordance with approved methods.
On July 2, 1913, in Bellingham, Mr. Ham was united in marriage to Miss Alice Durstin, a schoolmate of his boyhood days in Somersetshire, who had come to America on the Mauritania to fulfill the troth they long before had plighted, and who at once took her place in the community thousands of miles away from her old home. Mrs. Ham was born in Somersetshire and is a daughter of George and Tamar (Evans) Durstin, the latter of whom died in 1913. George Durstin, a carpenter, is still living in Somersetshire. Mr. and Mrs. Ham are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and take an interested and helpful part in church work as well as in general good works and social activities of the community of which they are a part.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 828-829
Hamilton, Manley A.
Manley A. Hamilton, who death occurred December 9, 1925, was one of the well known agriculturists of Van Wyck township, in which he made his home for more than thirty years, and his life record illustrated the power of diligence and honesty in the attainment of prosperity. A native of Canada, he was born in the province of Ontario, december 12, 1856, and his parents were John M. and Matilda Hamilton. The family went to Iowa in 1878 and the father operated a farm in that state.
Manley A. Hamilton was educated in Ontario and attended school in Iowa for five months. He went from that state to Minnesota, in which he followed agricultural pursuits for a time, and from 1881 until 1884 lived in the province of Manitoba, Canada. He then returned to Minnesota, where he remained until 1889, when he came to Washington. He spent two years in Seattle and on the expiration of that period purchased a tract of land near Bellingham. He became the owner of a ranch of one hundred and sixty acres and retained fifty-eight acres of the original property. The land was covered with stumps, and he cleared twenty-five acres. The soil is fertile and produces abundant crops of hay, oats and peas. His standards of farming were high, and he equipped his place with modern, labor saving appliances, making many improvements which have increased its value.
In 1887 Mr. Hamilton was married, in Minnesota, to Mrs. Marie Hanson, whose father was one of the pioneer farmers of that state, and two children were born to them but both are deceased. The son, William A. Hamilton, married Miss Josephine Waters, by whom he had three children, and they now reside with their mother in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Like many broadminded, farseeing men, Mr. Hamilton maintained an independent attitude in politics and strove ever to advance the general good. He served for years on the school board in Van Wyck township and signed the first petition for rural free delivery in this district. His life was one of unceasing industry and his loyalty and public spirit made him a strong center of his community, where his passing was deeply mourned.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 626