Handschy, F. F.
The banking institutions of a city are a fair index of its commercial character and the centers around which all the movements of trade gravitate. The history of the Bellingham National Bank is closely linked with that of the city which it serves, and among the men of enterprise and integrity responsible for the growth and prestige of the institution is F. F. Handschy, one of its officers and founders. The bank was chartered September 24, 1904, and opened its doors to the public on the 3d of January, 1905. It was capitalized at one hundred thousand dollars, and Victor A. Roeder was elected president. William G. Brown, now deceased, was chosen vice president and F. F. Handschy became cashier. The capital stock was increased to two hundred thousand dollars in 1909 and this sum has remained unchanged. The statement of its condition, issued June 30, 1925, shows a surplus of three hundred thousand dollars and deposits amounting to two million, eight hundred and thirty-three thousand and forty-two dollars. The present officers are Victor A. Roeder, president; William McCush, first vice-president; Charles F. Nolte, second vice-president; F. F. Handschy, cashier; and H. P. Jukes, E. P. Sanford and E. D. Bates, assistant cashiers. Its board of directors is composed of H. P. Jukes, William McCush, F. F. Handschy, Robert W. Battersby, E. P. Sanford, Charles F. Nolte and V. A. Roeder. On December 1, 1913, the bank moved to its present home, an imposing structure, five stories in height and built of concrete. It is listed in Class A and contains every facility of the up-to-date banking establishment. Since its founding the spirit of conservatism has always guided the activities of the institution and a desire for rapid expansion has never been permitted to overrule the feeling of caution which has served to protect the interests of the depositors and stockholders. The steady advancement of the bank has made it a helpful ally of Bellingham's business corporations, young and old, which, like the institution, are growing along constructive, progressive lines.
Mr. Handschy was born in Huron county, Ohio, in 1866 and was but two years old when his parents moved to Illinois. He was educated in that state and after the completion of his high school course went to Kansas, in which he located in 1884. He arrived in Bellingham in 1890, when a young man of twenty-four, and was appointed deputy county treasurer. In 1900 he was elected county treasurer and served for two terms, proving an able and faithful custodian of the public funds. In 1904 he aided in organizing the Bellingham National Bank and throughout the period it is existence has filled the office of cashier. With a comprehensive understanding of every phase of banking, he has labored earnestly and effectively to broaden the scope of the institution, and his well known trustworthiness is one of its most valuable assets. He is an adherent of the republican party and has long been prominent in fraternal affairs. He is a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner, a past grand chancellor of the Knights of Pythias of Washington and is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His rise in the business world is a attributable to his natural sagacity, keen powers of observation and devotion to duty, and public opinion bears testimony to his worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 379-380
Handy, Fred W.
It is an unquestionable fact that the biographies of enterprising and successful men serve as guides and incentives to others. In the cases of many of the men who have been identified with the development of Whatcom county it would seem that the apparently insurmountable obstacles that have confronted them have but served as a stimulus to greater effort and ultimate success. Fred W. Handy, one of Nooksack's enterprising farmers and public-spirited citizens, has succeeded in his life work solely through his own unaided efforts and his persistency along well directed lines of labor, and today he holds a high place in the esteem of all who know him. Mr. Handy was born at Palmyra, Wayne county, New York, on the 14th of October, 1867, and is a son of Lewis and Euceba (Winston) Handy, both of whom also were natives of New York state. The father was a cooper by trade, which occupation he followed until 1873, when he moved to Banker Hill, Kansas, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of prairie land, to the cultivation of which he devoted himself until 1887, when he retired and moved to Shasta county, California, where he spent the remaining years of his life, dying there September 4, 1908. His wife had preceded him in death many years, having passed away in 1881. They were the parents of two children, Fred W. and George.
Fred W. Handy received his educational training in the public schools of Kansas, to which state he went with his parents when he was six years of age. He lived on the home farm and was employed in that neighborhood until 1890, when he came to Whatcom county, Washington, locating in the Nooksack valley. In the fall of 1899 he bought forty acres a half mile northeast of Nooksack, the land being densely covered with timber and brush, and to the improvement of this tract he at once set himself. He first built a house and then directed his energy to the herculean task of clearing the land. The amount of labor required is well understood by those familiar with conditions at that time, and he has his now practically all cleared and under cultivation. The field crops are mainly hay and peas, with some acreage in sugar beets, which have proven a profitable crop here. He keeps five good grade milk cows and some chickens, and he is very comfortably situated, his ranch being numbered among the good farms of this locality.
On January 13, 1892, Mr. Handy was married to Miss Emma Bulmer, a daughter of John and Jane (Morrell) Bulmer, both of whom were natives of England, where the father was born October 16, 1835, and the mother October 27, 1831. Jane Morrell was a favorite servant in the household of Lord Byron, the poet. John Bulmer was proud of the fact that he threw a railroad switch on the Darlington & Stockton Railroad for the first locomotive built in England. He was a tailor by trade and followed that vocation in England until 1870, when he came to the United States, locating in Clay county, Kansas, where he homesteaded eighty acres of land, to which he later added by purchase eighty acres. To the improvement and cultivation of this tract he devoted himself until 1891, when he came to Whatcom county, locating in Nooksack, where he spent his remaining years, his death occurring in 1900. To him and his wife were born the following children: John; G. D., whose personal sketch appears elsewhere in this work; Thomas, deceased; Joseph, who lives in Bellingham; Emma, Mrs. Handy; and Kate, the wife of I. B. Carman, of Nooksack. To Mr. and Mrs. Handy have been born eight children, namely: Mrs. Jennie Metcalf, who is the mother of four children, Stanley, Lewis, Leroy and Morrell; Mrs. Bessie Nelson, who is the mother of two children, Edith and May; Mrs. Helen Olin, who has four children, Vernon, Melvorn, Lois and Beth; Lewis Earl, who is married and has two children, Morrell and Arvilla; Mrs. Josephine Johnson, who is the mother of a daughter, Jean; Jack, who is married; George Oscar, who remains at home; and Mrs. Dorothy Hannowell.
Fraternally, Mr. Handy is a member of Nooksack Camp, Modern Woodmen of America, and of the Grange and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He is deeply interested in everything relating in any way to the advancement of the community or the welfare of his fellow citizens. He maintains a generous attitude toward all benevolent or charitable organizations and is genial and friendly in all his social relations. He has a wide acquaintance throughout this section of the county and his fellow citizens accord him the highest measure of confidence and esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 189-190
Another of the sterling sons of Norway who left his native land for this country of great opportunity and, after making various investigations, decided that Whatcom county appealed to him more than did any other locality, is Andrew Hansen, of Ferndale township, a man who, owing to his habits of industry, frugality and integrity, would have succeeded anywhere. He has ever strived to live up to the standards of good citizenship, has been loyal to our flag and our institutions and today stands high in the estimation of his associates and neighbors. Mr. Hansen was born in Norway on the 19th of July, 1864, and is a son of Morten and Christina Hansen, who also were born in Norway, and there the father is still living, the mother having passed away in 1885. They were the parents of eight children, Hans, deceased, Martin, Andrew, Ole, Annie and Christina, Bendak and Edwin, who have passed away.
Andrew Hansen was educated in the schools of his home neighborhood and remained in his native country until 1892, when he emigrated to the United States, settling in Wisconsin. For five years he was employed in sawmills and logging camps, and then returned to Norway, where he remained about three and a half years. In 1900 he again came to this country, settling at Houghton, Michigan, where he was employed at carpenter work until 1910, when he came to Whatcom county, and bought twenty acres of land in Ferndale township, three and he came to Whatcom county, and bought twenty acres of land in Ferndale township, three and a half miles northeast of Ferndale. It was at that time all in woods and underbrush, but Mr. Hansen immediately went to work and soon had a part of it under cultivation. It is now practically all cleared and produces good crops of hay and grain. Mr. Hansen keeps four good grade Jersey cows and about three hundred laying hens and is realizing a very satisfactory income from the ranch. In 1910 he built a neat and comfortable home and in 1911 erected a substantial barn and a chicken house. In 1924 he built another chicken house and a root house, and now has his place in very good shape as regards improvements, being well equipped so as to secure the best results at a minimum of labor and expense. He thoroughly understands farming in all its phases and is known as an enterprising and progressive man.
Mr. Hansen was married, in April, 1890, to Miss Mary Johnson, a native of Norway and a daughter of John Olsen and Bartha Johnson, both natives of Norway. Her father died in 1922 and is survived by his widow, who is now ninety-four years of age. They became the parents of four children: George, deceased; Mrs. Hansen; Nicoli, deceased, and Mrs. Janetta Henricksen. Mr. and Mrs. Hansen have a daughter, Annie, who became the wife of Theo Anderson, and they have three children, namely: Raymond, born May 24, 1913; Agnes, December 9, 1919, and Gladys, June 1, 1925.
Mr. Hansen is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He is a man of up-to-date ideas, is persevering and untiring in his efforts and is absolutely square in all his dealings with others, so that he has won a well deserved reputation for integrity and uprightness. Friendly and affable, he has won a host of warm friends throughout this locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 514-515
Hansen, H. C.
Though of European birth, H. C. Hansen, one of the well established farmers and dairymen of Custer township and proprietor of a well kept place on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale, has been a resident of this country for many years and of Whatcom county for the past thirty years. Mr. Hansen is a Dane, born in the kingdom of Denmark, October 25, 1848, and is a son of Hans Christian and Christiana (Andreasen) Michelsen, also natives of that country. The mother lived to be eighty-two years of age. The father was a government pilot and his last days also were spent in his native country.
Reared in his native land, H. C. Hansen was early employed at farm labor and was thus engaged until eighteen years of age, when he entered upon military service and while with the army finished his schooling and learned the trade of brickmaker. When his three years in the army had passed he was employed as a journeyman in various places in Denmark and remained there until 1886 when he came to America, proceeding to Olympia, Washington, where he found employment at his trade. For twelve years Mr. Hansen made his home in Olympia and then came to Whatcom county and for two years thereafter made his home in the vicinity of Bellingham, engaged in cutting shingle bolts. In 1900 he bought the tract of eighty acres on which he is now living in Custer township and settled down to improve the place, which in due time he developed into a good farm. He made substantial improvements on the farm, including the erection of a seven-room dwelling house which was destroyed by fire in 1923. Of late years Mr. Hansen has given his particular attention to dairying and has a good herd of graded Jersey cattle. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and his operations are carried on in up-to-date fashion. Mr. Hansen was one of the organizers and a member of the first board of directors of the Farmers Mutual Telephone Company, and was one of the most active factors in securing initial subscribers to the same. In other ways he has been helpful in local development work and has long been accounted one of the substantial citizens of the community in which a quarter of a century ago he elected to make his home. He is a member of the local grange of the Patrons of Husbandry and of the Fraternal Union of America and he and his wife are members of the Congregationalist church.
Mr. Hansen has been married twice. His first wife, Maryanna Sorensen, whom he married in Denmark, died in Olympia in 1896 and on October 25, 1900, at Bellingham, he celebrated his fifty-second birthday by marrying Miss Anna J. Showers, who had some to this county in 1898. Mrs. Hansen was born on a farm in the vicinity of Zanesville, Ohio, daughter of A. B. and Mary Jane (Terrill) Showers, who were the parents of nine children. By his first wife Mr. Hansen had five children, namely: Christina, who died at Olympia not long after the arrival of the family there; Linde, now living in Bellingham, who married Zena Lee and has two sons; Chester, a Mountain View farmer, whose wife, Katy Long, died leaving five children; Louis Hansen, who died on the home farm in 1906, and Madda, who married R. Elliott and is now living in Alberta, Canada.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 812
Mathias Hansen, who has been a resident of Whatcom county for over forty years, is numbered among the "old timers" of his locality and has played a large part in the progress and development of his section of the county. A man of earnest purpose, well directed efforts and public-spirited interest in the general welfare, he has so ordered his career as to receive the unbounded respect of the entire community. Mr. Hansen was born in Denmark in 1857 and is a son of Hans and Lena (Mathiesen) Hansen, farming folk, who came to the United States in the '90s and are now living in Sumas, Whatcom county, where the father, at the age of one hundred and seven years, is conducting a mercantile business.
Mathias Hansen secured his education in the public schools of his native land and was reared on his father's farm. Because of being underweight he was not called for military service, and in 1880 he emigrated to the United States, coming direct to California, where for three years was employed at various occupations. In 1883 he came to Lynden, Whatcom county, and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, comprising his present farm. The condition of the country here at that time was anything but inviting, the locality being so densely timbered that it was necessary for him to bring a surveyor with him in order to locate his land. His first trip here was made by way of Ferndale, where he crossed the river, which he then followed up to his location. There were no roads and even practically no trail between his place and Lynden. Peter Hansen, who though bearing the same family name was not related to him, came with him and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres adjoining his tract. They were compelled to pack everything in on their backs during the first three years of their residence here, but in the course of time they and their neighbors cooperated in the building of a road. Mathias Hansen's first act was to build a hewed-log cabin, which is still standing. Wild animals and fowls were numerous, and deer and pheasant meat, with an occasional bear steak, furnished a variety of meats for the daily menu of the early settlers.
For a while after coming here Mr. Hansen worked out in order to secure ready money until he could get his farm in shape for cultivation, and those early years were strenuous ones. He now has twenty-six acres of his land cleared, the remainder being devoted to pasture. In the early years he gave his attention to the raising of beef, though afterward he did a good deal of logging, but in recent years he has again turned his attention to the raising of beef and veal for the market, now having about twenty head of cattle on his place. About 1890 he built a second house, commodious and well arranged, and he is now very comfortably situated. He is a man of quiet manner but possesses to a marked degree the essential qualifications of good citizenship, and his career has been such as to win for him the confidence and good will of all with whom he has come in contact. He has been deeply interested in the progress of his locality and has supported all movements calculated to advance the public welfare in any way.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 418
The United States is greatly indebted to the little Danish kingdom for having sent so many of her best citizens to help in the development of this country. They have been coming to our shores from early days and have settled in every section of our land, devoting themselves indefatigably to all lines of endeavor, and usually succeeding in whatever they undertake. They have been intensely loyal to our institutions and have been ready on all occasions to defend our flag in times of national peril - in short, we have no better foreign-born citizens than the Danes. Niels Hansen was born in Denmark on the 23d of January, 1863, and is a son of Hans and Annie (Jensen) Hansen, both of whom were born and reared in Denmark, where they spent their lives, the father dying in 1884 and the mother in 1905.
Niels Hansen received his education in the schools of his native land, and then went to sea as a sailor, following that vocation for nine years and also spending part of one year in the Danish navy. During this time he visited every country in the world, stopping at practically all ports of importance. He then went to Australia, where he spent three years, and about 1885 came to the United States, locating in Logan, Utah, where he lived for three years. His next location was in Preston, Idaho, where he took up a homestead, but at the end of five years he sold that place and went to Vancouver island, where he engaged in farming for about a year. He then went to New Westminster, British Columbia, where for about ten years he engaged in the fishing business. In 1910 Mr. Hansen came to Whatcom county and bought forty acres of land in Ferndale township, located on the Smith road. The land was partly cleared and he went to work to complete this important work, which done, he bent his energies to the cultivation and improvement of the place. He carried on general farming and dairying there for about fourteen years, meeting with very gratifying success in all of his operations, when, feeling that he had acquired a sufficient competence to enable him to take life more leisurely, he leased this farm and bought five acres of land on Sunset avenue, where he and his good wife are now living, enjoying that rest to which their years of toil so richly entitle them. Mr. Hansen does not know the meaning of the word idleness and so, while practically retired from active business, he keeps a flock of five hundred chickens, has two cows and maintains a nice garden, so that he has work sufficient to occupy his time. He take great interest in the poultry business, which affords a very comfortable income.
On November 27, 1885, Mr. Hansen was married to Miss Jensine Jensen, who was born in Denmark, daughter of Jens and Carrie (Petersen) Jensen. Her parents were born and reared in Denmark, and there spent their lives, the mother dying in 1879 and the father in 1900. To Mr. and Mrs. Hansen have been born seven children, namely: William, who is married and has two sons, Earl and Herbert; Chris, who is married and has a son, Wallace; Anna, who is the wife of Merl Carla, and they have three children, Billy, Lorena and Annetta; Caila, who is the wife of Arthur Lund; Harry; Albert; and May, who is the wife of Ray Furch. Mr. and Mrs. hansen are members of the Grange, and Mr. Hansen is a member of the Danish Brotherhood. He is a fine type of citizen, standing for all that is best in community life and supporting all measures for the improvement and prosperity of the locality in which he lives. Because of these commendable qualities, he enjoys a well-merited popularity among his fellow citizens of Ferndale township.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 505-506
Peter Hansen is one of the valuable citizens whom the Scandinavian countries have furnished to the United States and is the owner of a productive, well improved farm in Lawrence township. He was born in 1861 and is a native of Denmark. In 1882, when a young man of twenty-one, he responded to the lure of the new world and first went to St. Paul, Minnesota, spending five years in that locality. In 1887 he migrated to South Dakota and took up a homestead on the Indian reservation. He developed the claim, which he afterward sold, and in 1905 came to Whatcom county, purchasing a tract of forty acres in Lawrence township. He has since cultivated this land and is engaged in general farming and dairying. He also raises poultry and receives substantial returns from his labors, which are guided by intelligence and sound judgment. Mr. Hansen is an experienced agriculturist and his methods are up-to-date and effective. He has built a modern home and good barns and is constantly enhancing the value of the property, which reflects his progressive spirit and energetic nature.
Mr. Hansen's first wife was Miss Annie Newhouse, now deceased. In 1914 he married Miss Elizabeth Peterson, a Norwegian, who came to northwestern Washington in 1899, during her girlhood. To the first union were born six children: Ruth, a professional nurse; Marie, who was married to Alfred Knutsen and is living in Bellingham; Clarence and Tony, both of whom reside in Skagit county, Washington; Esther, the wife of William Wright, of Los Angeles, California; and Carl, a young man of twenty, who ably assists his father in operating the homestead.
Mr. Hansen belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is a republican in his political views but has never aspired to public office. Frank, genuine and unassuming, he has the faculty of making and retaining friends, and in a land unhampered by caste or class he has achieved the object of his ambition, enjoying the prosperity which results from a life of earnest endeavor.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 779
Hardin, Edward E.; Judge
In both the paternal and maternal lines Judge Edward E. Hardin is descended from ancestors who have been prominent in American affairs. In person, talents and achievements he is a worthy scion of his race. He comes of a family which has furnished many sons noted for legal ability of a high order.
Judge Hardin was born in Kentucky, June 27, 1860, and his parents, William H. and Martha J. (Boston) Hardin, were also natives of the Blue Grass state. The mother was a native of Oldham county and the father of Jefferson county. Both families were originally from Virginia and migrated to Kentucky in the early history of the state. One of Judge Hardin's ancestors was a colonel in the Revolutionary war. Another was a soldier in the army which forced the surrender at Yorktown. Hardin county and Hardinsburg, Kentucky, were named in honor of a member of the family. Among its distinguished members were a governor of Missouri, several congressmen, two supreme court judges and numerous state officers. The subject of this sketch is also related to the Olgesby, the Wickliffe, the Helm and the McHenry families.
After the completion of his high school course Edward E. Hardin attended the State College of Kentucky and then took up the study of law at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, from which he graduated with the class of 1887. He practiced law in Kentucky for two years and during that time served a term in the legislature of that state. In 1890, when a young man of thirty, Judge Hardin removed to Washington and opened a law office in Bellingham. Eight years later he abandoned his practice to raise Company B of the Washington Volunteer Infantry in the Spanish-American war and served as its captain until the close of the war. He then returned to Bellingham and resumed the practice of the law. In 1899 he was called to the mayoralty. His administration of the city's affairs was popular and he was elected for two further terms. He continued in the private practice of law until 1908, building up a large clientele, and was then elected to the office of superior court judge, which he has since filled, now serving his fifth term. He possesses a fine knowledge of human nature and a judicial instinct which makes its way quickly through immaterial details to the essential points upon which the decision of a case must rest, and he displays breadth of mind and a comprehensive grasp of the law and the facts in adjudicating the many questions brought before him. Judge Hardin deals fairly with his fellowmen and the justice of his judgments proves his moral worth. As a place for diversion and on which to rear his sons, the Judge resides on his farm near Bellingham. Like most Kentuckians he appreciates fine stock. His hobby, if it may be so called, is the raising of pure bred Jersey cattle. He has developed a fine herd, many of which are prize winners, and is doing much to improve the quality of the dairy cattle in this section of the state.
Judge Hardin has been married twice. His first wife was Miss Victoria E. Morgan of Kentucky, who died in 1915, leaving surviving her three sons and two daughters. Two years later Judge Hardin married Miss Elsie Haggard, of Oregon, by whom he has two sons.
In politics the Judge is rather independent but believes that democratic principles and policies properly applied will best promote the welfare of the nation. He is a member of the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and some other fraternal associations. He contributes membership to the Dairy and Poultry Associations and the Grange.
Among his outstanding qualities are energy, industry, steadfastness of purpose and devotion to duty. He never lacks the courage to stand for the maintenance of the principles which he believes to be right. He is honest, sincere and upright and his record reflects honor and dignity upon him and the state of his adoption
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 561-562
"Through struggle to triumph" seems to have been the maxim which held sway for many of the older citizens of Whatcom county, especially those who came here in the early days when to create a farm meant a vast amount of the hardest kind of preliminary labor, the greater part of the country being a veritable wilderness. It required men with inherent force of character to rise above their environment and all that seemed to hinder them, and persevere until they reached the plane of affluence toward which their faces were set through the long years of struggle. Among this number stands Fred Harksell, now one of the leading farmers and public-spirited citizens of Delta township. Mr. Harksell is a native of Germany, where he was born on July 10, 1858, a son of Carl and Wilhelmina (Vogel) Harksell. His parents also were natives of the fatherland, where they spent their lives, the father dying there in 1872 and the mother in 1882.
Of their nine children, all are now deceased except Fred Harksell, who attended the public schools of his native land, completing his education in a college, and later had charge of several large farms there. In 1886 he emigrated to the United States, locating in Iowa, where he remained two years, employed as foreman in a linseed oil factory. In 1888 he came to Whatcom county and went to work in stone quarries for Captain Roeder and Charles Roth at Chuckanut, where he was employed for seven years. In 1894 he bought one hundred and forty acres on Nooksack river, in Delta township, and at once entered upon the task of clearing the land of the stumps and brush which covered it. He devoted a tremendous amount of the hardest sort of labor to this task and eventually had the satisfaction of getting the land under cultivation, bountiful crops rewarding him for his efforts. Later he bought one hundred and twenty acres and is now the owner of two hundred and sixty acres of fine land, about two-thirds of which is cleared, the remainder being in woods and pasture. Mr. Harksell keeps thirty-five good grade Holstein cows, twenty-five head of young stock and eighty-five head of Blackface sheep. His field crops are mainly hay and grain and he maintains a large silo. Another valuable feature of the farm is the eight acre orchard, mainly of cherry trees. Mr. Harksell is thoroughly practical in all his farm operations, doing well whatever he undertakes and he has gained a high reputation as an enterprising and progressive farmer. He is a stockholder in the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and keeps in close touch with everything affecting the agricultural interests of the county. He has a very comfortable and attractive home and a well improved farmstead in very respect.
On May 26, 1896, Mr. Harksell was married to Miss Emily Anderson, who was born in Sweden, daughter of Erick and Johanna (Olson) Anderson, both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of Sweden. They were the parents of four children: August, who lives in Iowa; Mrs. Harksell; Mrs. Hilma Peterson, who lives in Bellingham; and Mrs. Edla Larson, who still lives in Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Harksell have three children, Albert August, Fred August and Ruth, who is an accomplished player on the piano. Mr. Harksell's life, being one of untiring activity, has been crowned by success, and at the same time he has won and retained the confidence and good will of all who know him because of his fair dealings with his fellowmen, as well as for his friendly and genial manner.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 758-759
Harlow, Arthur C.
Arthur C. Harlow, veteran mortician at Bellingham and proprietor of what is recognized as the best equipped mortuary establishment and crematory in the state outside of Seattle, is a Canadian by birth but has been a resident of Washington since his infancy, and all his conscious recollections are thus based upon his activities in this state and in the neighboring state of Oregon. He was born at Shelburne in the maritime province of Nova Scotia in the dominion of Canada, October 3, 1881, and is a son of Steadman and Isabel (Johnston) Harlow, both also natives of that province, who were residents of Washington for some forty years and are now living retired in Portland, Oregon.
Steadman Harlow came to Washington with his family in 1883 and located in Wahkiakum county, at the mouth of the Columbia river. He was an experienced ship builder and there became employed in the ship building operations of George Loggie. In the next year he went to Empire city as millwright for the Loggie industries and was located at that place until 1893, when he became engaged in the fisheries industry at Eagle Cliff. There he remained until 1898, when he took up his residence in the Bay settlements, coming here to aid in the erection of the Bellingham Bay Company's mill in that year. He later also took part in the construction of the Loggie mill in Bellingham and upon the completion of that work established himself in Portland, where he became connected with the operations of the Schaffer Transportation Company. When after this country entered the World war in 1917 the call came for prompt production of wooden ships his services were secured in that connection, and he rendered effective service during that period of stress as superintendent of operations of one of the companies engaged in the task of turning out wooden vessels under government requisition, retiring upon the completion of that service.
Arthur C. Harlow was about eighteen months old when his parents moved to Washington, and he was reared here, securing his education in the public schools of this state. He was seventeen years of age when the family took up their residence in Bellingham in 1898, and for some time after his arrival here he was employed in the Loggie mill, later securing employment with the Bellingham Bay Improvement Company. In 1902 he went to McMinnville, Oregon, where he attended the McMinnville College for three years, at the end of which time he became connected with the Portland Railway, Light & Power Company and was thus engaged until 1908. It was in the latter year that Mr. harlow embarked upon his career an a mortician, entering the old pioneer undertaking establishment of Edward Holman & Company at Portland, where he acquired a thoroughly familiar knowledge of this exacting profession. In 1913 he returned to Bellingham and here bought an interest in the undertaking establishment of Mock & Sons on Elk street, established in 1902, and in 1916 he became the sole proprietor. In 1922 he erected his present admirably appointed mortuary at the corner of Holly and Forest streets, opening it on November 8 of that year. The building comprises a story and a half, is fifty-four by ninety-two feet in ground dimension and in addition to the crematory and columbarium has a chapel with a seating capacity of three hundred. This mortuary is equipped with standard modern appointments and its vehicular service is fully motorized, including a private ambulance, a limousine burial coach, two family sedans and a clergyman's car, the various appointments being recognized in the trade as being the best in the state outside of Seattle.
On April 3, 1910, at Pendleton, Oregon, Mr. Harlow was united in marriage to Miss Adna Raley, who was born at that place, a daughter of Colonel J. H. Raley, a prominent attorney and a member of one of the real pioneer families of the community, and they have one child, a daughter, Helen. Mrs. Harlow is associated with her husband in the direction of the mortuary establishment and is an able helpmate. Mr. Harlow belongs to the First Baptist church, while Mrs. Harlow is a member of the First Presbyterian church. Both are republicans, and they have ever taken an interested part in civic activities. They are members of the Country Club and are otherwise participants in the social activities of the community. Mr. Harlow is a charter member of the Bellingham Yacht Club, of which he is secretary, and is an active and influential member of the Chamber of Commerce and of the Kiwanis Club, is a past president ('25) of the Tulip Festival Association and is a member of the board of directors of the local branch of the Young Men's Christian Association. He is a Knight Templar and Scottish Rite (thirty-second degree) Mason and a Noble of the Mystic shrine, while both he and his wife are members of the Order of the Eastern Star, Mrs. Harlow being an officer of the grand lodge of that order in the state of Washington. Mr. Harlow also is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Woodmen of the World, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Loyal Order of Moose and the Fraternal Order of Eagles, as well as the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to all branches of that order. Years ago he rendered service in the National Guard of the state of Washington, serving for almost three years as a member of Company M in Colonel Wisenberger's regiment, beginning in 1900, and he has never lost his interest in National Guard affairs.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 104-105
Harman, Sidney E.
Bellingham is a monument to the combined labors of many enterprising business men, and among the most prominent is Sidney E. Harman, a well known contractor, who has done much to improve and beautify the city. A native of Quebec, Canada, he was born February 19, 1852, and in the same year his parents, William and Mary (Arnold) Harman, crossed the border into the United States, settling in New York.
Sidney E. Harman received a public school education and was reared on his father's farm, assisting him in the work of tilling the soil. In Vermont he learned the carpenter's trade, and in 1877 he went to Minnesota, entering the field of contracting. He came to Whatcom in 1888 and was one of the early building contractors of this locality, continuing his operations here for twenty-five years. He then moved to Centralia, Washington, and for some time conducted a sash and door factory. He returned to Bellingham in 1921 and resumed his work as a contractor. He builds and sells homes and has greatly enhanced the value of property in the neighborhoods in which he has operated. His buildings are pleasing to the eye and constructed for real utility and the comfort and convenience of their inmates. He is an acknowledged leader in this line of activity and is a business man of broad experience and keen sagacity.
On September 5, 1880, Mr. Harman married Miss Mary A. Meek, and two children were born to them. The son, F. D., is a graduate of the State University and superintendent of the electric light plant in Seattle. He is married and has two children. The daughter, Elsie, is the wife of Rollin Owen and resides in Idaho. Mr. Harman is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. A life of intense and well directed activity has brought him prosperity, and although he has reached an age when most men relinquish the burdens of business, he still remains at the head of his affairs, retaining the priceless possession of physical and mental vigor. His work has been of direct benefit to the city, and his many good qualities have drawn to him a large and ever widening circle of sincere friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 564-565
Harris, Charles F.
Charles F. Harris has been engaged in the contracting business in Bellingham for over twenty years, doing much important work as a city builder, and his life record is written in terms of success and honor. He was born in 1867 at Sullivan, Illinois, and is a son of W. H. and Susan (Buxton) Harris, the former a retired contractor. The father has resided in Mount Vernon, Washington, since 1902, but the mother has passed away.
The public schools of Illinois afforded Charles F. Harris his educational opportunities, and when a young man he went to Iowa. He engaged in brick laying and contracting in Albia and was later in Missouri. He came to Washington in 1903, reaching Bellingham on the 10th of July, and worked at his trade for a year. He has since been engaged in general contracting under his own name and has met with notable success in the undertaking, leaving examples of his skill throughout the city. His buildings are substantially constructed and attractive in design, representing the best in workmanship and material consistent with the prices charged. He supervised the placing of the brick and stone work on the new Catholic church and completed the sixty thousand dollar annex to the State Normal School. He erected the Long, Charlton, Kulshan, Quackenbush and Frey buildings in Bellingham and the Miller Hotel in Lynden. He constructed eight dry kilns for the Bloedel-Donovan Lumber Company, and he was awarded the contract for the Burns buildings. He employes (sic) a large force of men, and a well merited reputation for thoroughness and reliability is one of his most valuable assets.
In 1894 Mr. Harris married Miss Edith E. Miller, a native of Wisconsin, and five children were born to them: Alta, now the wife of George Adams, of Bellingham; Mona, who was united in marriage to H. B. Fenstra, of Everett, Washington; Ione, the wife of Irvin Dunkle, of Bellingham; Edith, who is attending high school; and Charles W., a grammar school pupil. Mr. Harris' father served in the Civil war and he is one of the Sons of Veterans. He is also connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. He has done much to develop and beautify his city, and his enterprise, ability and fidelity to principle and amply illustrated in his career.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 587
Harrison, Jabez C.; Rev.
Rev. Jabez C. Harrison, beloved pastor of the Garden Street Methodist Episcopal church of Bellingham, has thus served since 1920. He is a native of Charleston, South Carolina, and a son of J. Z. Harrison, who was born in New Hampshire. His paternal grandfather and grandmother were natives of the north of Ireland and the former was identified with manufacturing interests. J. Z. Harrison, now living in honorable retirement, was for many years a successful cotton planter, as well as a merchant. In early manhood he wedded Julia Padgett, a native of Charleston, South Carolina, and of French Huguenot stock. The Padgett family was early established on American soil and the majority of its male representatives have devoted their attention to the learned professions.
Jabez C. Harrison supplemented his early education by study in Clemson College of South Carolina, from which he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science. Subsequently he matriculated in Meridian College of Meridian, Mississippi, which institution conferred upon him the degree of Bachelor of Literature and Oratory, and the College of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington, later conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Divinity. It was in September, 1910, that Rev. Harrison came to Whatcom county, and for two years he served as pastor of a church at Nooksack, while thereafter he preached at Ferndale for three years. He next occupied the pulpit of the Calvary Methodist Episcopal church of Seattle for one year and was then made district superintendent of southwestern Washington, maintaining his headquarters at Olympia for four years. On the expiration of that period, in 1920, he assumed the pastorate of the Garden Street Methodist Episcopal church at Bellingham, where he has remained to the present time.
The Garden Street Methodist Episcopal church is composed of two congregations, namely: The First Methodist Episcopal church on I street, the first church in Bellingham; and Trinity Methodist Episcopal church, located at Garden and Magnolia streets. It was organized by Chancellor Crawford R. Thoburn, who was born in Naini Tal, British India, in 1862, and became pastor of the Centenary church of Portland, Oregon. He was chancellor of the Portland University at the time of his death in 1899. His father was James M. Thoburn, Methodist Episcopal bishop, who built the largest English church in India and who became widely known throughout American, England and the East. Isabel Thoburn College of India was named in honor of Isabel Thoburn, a sister of Bishop J. M. Thoburn and an aunt of Chancellor C. R. Thoburn. The Garden Street Methodist Episcopal church now has twelve hundred active and one hundred and eighty non-resident members. It carries an annual budget of about twenty-five thousand dollars and each year donates ten thousand dollars for missions and for benevolent purposes at home and abroad. The present church property is valued at one hundred thousand dollars.
Rev. Harrison is a member of the board of control of the Epworth League of the Methodist Episcopal church, with headquarters in Chicago; a member of the board of trustees of the Seattle General Hospital; a member of the board of directors of the Wesleyan Foundation; a member of the board of trustees of St. Luke's Hospital of Bellingham; a member of the board of trustees of the Chamber of Commerce; and past president and board member of the the Rotary Club of Bellingham. He also has membership in the Twentieth Century Club and the Hobby Club and in fraternal circles is known a a Master Mason, Woodman of the World and Modern Woodmen of America. His political support is given to the republican party.
In 1910 Rev. Harrison was united in marriage to Miss Ida Ophelia Daniels, a native of Mississippi. She received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from the Mississippi Woman's College at Hattiesburg and prior to her marriage was a high school teacher at Meridian, Mississippi. Rev. and Mrs. Harrison are the parents of five children, as follows: Ruth, James and Virginia, twins, and Florence and Paul. Like her husband, Mrs. Harrison is a republican in politics and a Methodist in religious faith. She also belongs to the Twentieth Century Club of Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 67-68
Hart, W. B.
W. B. Hart is one of the substantial business men of Everson, and for twenty-two years he has made his home within the borders of Whatcom county. He was born August 30, 1875, in Independence, Kansas, and his parents, Silas A. and Harriet A. (Graham) Hart, were both natives of Ohio. The father was a captain in the Union army and served under General Sherman during the memorable march to the sea. After the Civil war Captain Hart settled in Alabama and remained in the south until 1879, when he established his home in Kansas. He was engaged in merchandising for several years and in later life followed the occupation of farming.
After the completion of his high school course W. B. Hart attended a normal school at Fort Scott and was also graduated from the Kansas City Business College. He entered the lumber industry in Missouri and spent three years in that state. In 1904 he came to Washington and at Ferndale was identified with the operation of a shingle mill. He also conducted a general store in partnership with Edward Brown and prospered in his undertakings. In 1922 he came to Everson, where he has since been engaged in general merchandising as a member of the firm of Scott & Hart, which enjoys a large trade. Mr. Hart owns valuable real estate in Ferndale and Seattle, Washington, as well as in the east and derives a substantial income from his investments.
In 1903 Mr. Hart was married, in Kansas City, to Miss Mamie G. Hume, of Missouri, and Katherine, their only child is now the wife of C. C. Bryan, of Seattle, Washington. Mr. Hart is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He lends the weight of his support to all worthy public projects, and that he is a sagacious, farsighted business man is indicated by the success of his ventures.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 861
Whatcom county is characterized by her full share of the honored pioneer element which has done so much for the development of the state and the establishment of the institutions of civilization in this fertile and well favored section. The biographical sketches in this volume deal largely with this class of useful citizens, and it is not in the least too early to place in the permanent record of the annals of their county the principal items in the lives of these hard-working and honest people, giving honor to whom honor is due. They will soon be gone and the past can have no better history or memento than these records. In this class of citizens is Vincenz Harter, who has long stood among the most respected residents of the county and who contributed his full share to the development of the community which is now honored by his citizenship. Mr. Harter was born in Baden, Germany, January 22, 1857, and is a son of Martin and Theresa (Bilman) Harter, both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of that country. Of the seven children who were born to this worthy couple three are now living.
Vincenz Harter attended the excellent public schools of his native land and remained at home until he was almost twenty-five years of age. He then emigrated to the United States, arriving here September 12, 1881, and first located in Indiana, where he was engaged in farming until 1885. In September of that year he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of timber and brush land in Delta township, seven miles west of Lynden. He at once built a small house, sixteen by twenty feet in size, the lumber for which he hauled by ox team from Blaine to about a half mile from his building site, to which he was compelled to carry the material, as it was impossible to drive through the timber, which was extremely heavy. He then set to work on the prodigious task of clearing the land, and one of his first improvements was the planting of an orchard, which was greatly appreciated by the family in later years. He then planted a garden and continued at his work of clearing the land, which was eventually accomplished. He has through the subsequent years made many permanent and substantial improvements on the place, which is generally conceded to be one of the most beautiful and attractive in this section of the county. Mr. Harter keeps his land well cultivated, hay and potatoes being his main crops, and he has eight good Jersey and Guernsey cows and one hundred and fifty laying hens, from both of which sources he derives a nice income. In 1913 he built the present splendid home and in 1923 a new and commodious barn. The home is well protected by a fine grove of timber, the magnificent old trees affording a very striking setting for the house.
In October, 1885, at St. Charles, Missouri, Mr. Harter was married to Miss Kathrina Ringelspacher, a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Myer) Ringelspacher, both of whom were natives of Germany, where they passed away. They were the parents of eight children, four of whom are now living. To Mr. and Mrs. Harter have been born six children, namely: Mrs. Elizabeth Grasher, who is the mother of three children - Edna, Albert and Martha; Martin, who remains at home and who is a veteran of the World war, having served nineteen months overseas; Mrs. Louisa Getchell; Herman; and Mrs. Katherina Rudy, and Freda, who is at home. Mr. Harter tells some very interesting stories of the early days in this locality. Among his reminiscences is that of the great forest fire of 1891, which wrought such havoc through out this locality. The early settlers passed through a terrible experience at that time. Mr. and Mrs. Harter had a deep cellar, or root house, and into this they shut their two children, while they devoted their efforts to save their property. In this they were successful, though several times they almost gave up the fight. Sacrifices and privations were the common lot of the pioneers, but they fought on from day to day in their efforts to create homes, and the present advanced condition of the county stands in eloquent testimony to the splendid results of their efforts.
Mr. Harter has always taken a deep interest in the general welfare of his community, giving his earnest support to every measure advanced for the public benefit. He is kindly and generous in his attitude toward all benevolent objects and stands on the right side of every moral issue. Because of his upright life, business success, fine public spirit and genial disposition, he has long enjoyed the sincere respect and esteem of the entire community and is looked upon as one of its representative men.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 757-758
Harvey, J. H.
J. H. Harvey, chairman of the board of supervisors of Custer township and a member of that board since the township was organized, was formerly for years overseer of highways in that district and in other ways has long been actively identified with public service. He is also one of the substantial landowners of Custer township and a progressive poultryman and orchardist, with a well improved place on rural mail route No. 2 out of Blaine. He is a Canadian by birth but has been a resident of Whatcom county for almost forty years and is thus properly accounted one of the pioneers of this region, for when he came here modern development work was just getting a good start. Mr. Harvey came by the Winnipeg route in midwinter and still retains vivid recollections of the temperature of sixty degrees below zero that was prevailing much of the time spent on this journey.
Born in the province of Ontario, Canada, February 9, 1853, J. H. Harvey is a son of John and Agnes (Storey) Harvey, both of whom were born in that province, the former a son of a Scotsman who had taken up his residence there about a month prior to the birth of his son John. Reared on the home farm in Canada, J. H. Harvey grew up familiar with farm and timer operations and as a young man became connected with the timber industry, working in the woods and mills until May, 1881, when he came to the States and preempted a tract of land in what then was the Territory of Dakota. He settled in northern Dakota, and in the next year married and established his home on that place, where he remained for seven years. In the fall of 1887 he disposed of his holdings there and came to Washington, coming by way of Winnipeg, and arriving on December 1 at Blaine which was entering upon a stage of development that gave every promise of being a "boom" and Mr. Harvey got in on the crest of that boom. He established himself as a freighter and for three years remained there, doing a good business. He then settled down to his old vocation of farming, renting for a couple of years, and in 1893 bought the place on which he is now living, he and his family being very comfortably situated. About three acres was cleared when he took charge and the remainder of the clearing has been done under his direction. In addition to general farming he gives considerable attention to poultry raising and horticulture operations and is doing well. Not long after he took up his residence here Mr. Harvey was elected road supervisor of his district and in that capacity did much to promote the extension of the good roads movement. When Custer township was erected into a separate civic entity he was elected a member of the board of township supervisors and by successive reelections has been retained on that body, being now president of the board. The registration rolls of the township have been in his charge since 1916.
It was on November 29, 1882, in Dakota Territory, that Mr. Harvey was united in marriage to Miss Mary McInnes, who was born in Ontario, daughter of Archibald and Rachel (Lecksie) McInnes, and to this union six children have been born, namely: Wallace, who died in childhood; Mabel, who died when four years of age; Ethel B., who married G. J. Stewart and died in 1920; Leslie M., who is a veteran of the World war; Nellie, who died at the age of ten years; and Clara B., who married M. G. Still and is now living in California. Leslie M. Harvey, who is connected with the operations of his father's place, rendered military service in connection with this country's participation in the World war, serving from July 12, 1918 to April 2, 1919, and was a corporal in the Motor Transport Corps, in service at Camp Lewis. The Harveys are members of the Free Methodist church and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the good works and general social activities of the community of which they so long have been a part and in which they are so firmly established.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 477-78