Henderson, Charles M.
The representative and honored citizen of Delta township whose name forms the caption to this sketch has been distinctively the architect of his own fortunes, has been true and loyal in all relations of life and stands as a type of that sterling manhood which ever commands respect and honor. He is a man who would have won his way in any locality in which fate might have placed him, for he has sound judgment, coupled with great energy and business tact, together with upright principles, all of which invariably make for success. By reason of these principles, he has won and retains a host of warm and devoted friends throughout his community. Charles M. Henderson is a native of Sweden, where his birth occurred on the 28th of December, 1859, and is a son of M. and Mary (Nelson) Henderson, who spent their entire lives in Sweden.
Charles M. Henderson attended the public schools of his home neighborhood, completing his studies sometime later in night schools while living in Chicago, Illinois. He remained at home until 1882, when he emigrated to the United states, locating first in Grand Haven, Michigan. He next went to Muskegon, Michigan, where he remained about a year, and then spent five years in Chicago. In April, 1889, Mr. Henderson came to Washington, living in Seattle for about a year, and then came to Whatcom county and, in partnership with his brother John, bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, all of which was heavily covered with timber and brush and through which there were no roads. The immediately went to work and cleared off about fifty acres of the land, which they put into cultivation and that same year built a house on the place. This was occupied until 1917, when a fine, modern home was built and is now occupied by the family. Mr. Henderson carries on general farming, raising very satisfactory crops, and in 1925 had an unusually fine crop of corn, the immediate locality being very free from early frosts. He keeps fifteen milk cows and about three hundred laying hens, form both of which sources he derives a nice income. He has made many permanent and substantial improvements on the place, which now ranks among the valuable and well managed farms of the township. Mr. Henderson is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has always been enterprising and progressive in his methods, as was evidenced a s far back as June 19, 1890, when he brought the first wagon into the district, it being drawn by ox teams over the very poor roads which existed here at that time. It took him fourteen hours to drive from Bellingham, a distance of less that twenty miles.
On June 6, 1885, Mr. Henderson was married to Miss Martha C. Soderberg, a native of Sweden, and the daughter of P. O. and Martha (Lars Kelso) Soderberg, and they are the parents of six children, namely: O. W., who lives in Alaska, is married and has twin children, Robert and Evelyn; Lena, who lives in Seattle, is the wife of Lee Kilgour [Kilgore] and the mother of six children, Roy, Verna, George, Willie, Addie Lucile and Doris Dean; Manford E. is married and has a son, Sherwood Ford; Mrs. Mamie Schar has a daughter, Betty June; Mrs. Ruth E. Bibbius; Mrs. Ellen J. Krause has a son, Sherman Charles. The mother of these children died September 24, 1925. Mr. Henderson's career has been characterized by persistent and untiring industry, guided by sound and discriminating judgment, and the success which has accompanied his efforts has been well deserved. He has taken a good citizen's interest in public affairs, especially such as relate to the welfare of his community, and stands for better schools and good roads. He is a man of forceful individuality and throughout his section is held in the highest regard by all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 723-724
Henderson, Charles R.
Charles R. Henderson, a well known carpenter now living retired in Bellingham, and one of the honored octogenarians, is a veteran of the Civil war and of the Indian wars and is one of the oldest surviving pioneers of the northwest country now living in Whatcom county. As a young man he began mining in Montana, went from there into Utah, thence into Nevada and in 1875 became a member of the Pendleton settlement in Oregon. In 1886 he arrived in the Sound country and in 1898 became a resident of the Bay settlements so that he has been a witness to and a participant in the development of the city of Bellingham since the days before this present corporate name was adopted. His pioneering brought him an unusual variety of experiences and when in a reminiscent mood he has most interesting stories to tell of the days when the northwest country was being made fit for settlement.
Mr. Henderson is a native of Tennessee, born in 1846. His father was also a native of that state, a member of one of the pioneer families there, and the mother was born in Georgia, both members of old colonial families in America. The Hendersons of this line in America are of Yankee stock, early established in the Connecticut colony, and during the war of the Revolution Mr. Henderson's great-grandfather rendered service in the command of gallant Israel Putnam, one of the most conspicuous heroes of the Revolution. Though but fifteen years of age when the Civil war broke out, Charles R. Henderson got into the fight long before that struggle between the states was over and as a member of Company A, Seventh Regiment, Tennessee Mounted Infantry, served as a soldier until the close of the war. In 1868, not long after he had attained his majority, he joined the adventurers then flocking to the mining regions of Montana and there remained as miner and teamster, until 1871, when he went to the Utah mining fields and thence into Nevada. In 1875 he settled at Pendleton, Oregon, where four years later he married and where he remained for about twelve years, or until 1886, when he came into Washington Territory. During the time of his residence in Pendleton Mr. Henderson again became a soldier, taking part in the Indian wars, volunteering as a member of the military contingent raised to put down the last of the Indian uprisings in that state, in 1878, and in that service was five times wounded. At one time the command to which he was attached, a company of forty-five men, was surrounded by a greatly superior force of Indians and a fierce battle ensued, a battle which the Oregonians finally were victorious, but not until two of their men had been slain, nine wounded and forty horses left dead on the field of battle.
On coming to Washington Mr. Henderson settled on a sheep ranch in the Ellensburg neighborhood in Kittitas county, but the depredations of prowling bands of Indians against his flocks proved disastrous to that venture and after the redskins had killed or carried off all his sheep he came to the conclusion, after a year or more of effort, that this was not the place for sheep raising, gave up his ranch and went into the Roslyn mining field. In 1889 he made a trip to the Bay settlements and became established as a carpenter in Skagit county, where he remained until 1898, when he returned to Whatcom and engaged in building operations. Here he has since resided, now living at 1018 Liberty street. With the exception of the two years in which he was trying to raise sheep, Mr. Henderson was engaged in carpentering from the time he settled at Pendleton in 1875 until his recent retirement and he thus has been a useful and substantial factor in the upbuilding of the region to which he became so definitely attracted in the days of his adventurous young manhood. He is a continuing member of the Bellingham local of the Carpenters Union, is an active member of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic, a member of the Congregational church and a republican.
On November 23, 1879, at Pendleton, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage to Miss Cozbi Carden, who died at her home in Bellingham in 1924. She was a member of one of the pioneer families of Oregon, the Cardens having become settlers at Pendleton in 1852, coming into the northwest country from Wisconsin. Of the nine children born to Charles R. and Cozbi (Carden) Henderson all are living save one, Mr. Henderson having three sons, Charles, now living in Portland; Samuel, a resident of Sedro Woolley, and Ralph, who continues to make his home in Bellingham, associated with the operations of the Northwest Lumber Company. His five daughters are Mrs. Cecil Isadora Goldbury of Kent, Mrs. Edith Ione Benner, Ruth, Mrs. Cozbi Sterling and Grace, all of Bellingham. Mr. Henderson also has sixteen grandchildren, in whom he take much pride and delight.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 459-460
Henderson, Charles W.
Possessing a courageous spirit and a self-reliant nature, Charles W. Henderson has made his own way in a land far removed from his native country and is now numbered among the prosperous dairymen of Lawrence township. He was born January 7, 1875, in Sweden, and his father, Hendrick Anderson, still makes his home in that country. In 1896, when a young man of twenty, Charles W. Henderson severed home ties, joining the tide of immigration to the United States. He spent six years in Providence, Rhode Island, and in 1902 came to Whatcom county. For several years he was connected with the lumber industry, working in various mills, and in 1917 invested his savings in land. He purchased a tract of thirty-three acres in Lawrence township and has since made his home on this property. Seventeen acres are under cultivation and the balance is pasture land. He has a well equipped dairy and owns a valuable herd of cattle, specializing in pure bred Guernseys. He recently built a fine barn, and his well improved farm reflects the progressive spirit and enterprising methods of its owner.
In 1903 Mr. Henderson was married, in Seattle, Washington, to Miss Anna Marie Johnson, also a native of Sweden, and they have a family of seven children: Thelma, who is the wife of Herbert Oliver, of Tacoma, and the mother of a son, Robert C.; Oscar, at home; Ella, who is attending high school; and Henry, Edward, Edna and Anna, who are grammar school pupils. The family are adherents of the Lutheran church, and in politics Mr. Henderson follows an independent course, regarding the qualifications of a candidate as a matter of first importance. He is serving on the township board of supervisors and conscientiously discharges the duties and obligations of citizenship. He belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is contributing his quota toward the development of one of Washington's chief industries.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 859
Henderson, James M.
James M. Henderson, a veteran of the Spanish-American war and a well known retired farmer of Whatcom county, now living in Bellingham, is proprietor of a well appointed apartment house on Iron street. He has been a resident of the coast country since the days of his young manhood, a period of nearly a half century, most of which time has been spent in Washington, and thus he is thoroughly acquainted with conditions here, for he has witnessed the development of this region from the days when the railroads were just being builded and knows every step that has been taken in the progress of this state to its present high stage of development. Mr. Henderson is a native of the old Hawkeye state, born in Jefferson county, Iowa, in 1858, and is a son of William R. and Eliza Jane (Hogue) Henderson, the latter born in Holland. The father was a member of an old Southern family but when the Civil war came on he enlisted in behalf of the Union cause and went to the front as a member of the Third Iowa Cavalry, with which gallant command he was serving when in 1864 he was killed in action at the battle of Ripley, Mississippi.
Thus early bereft of a father's care, James M. Henderson, who was but a small child when his father met a soldier's fate in battle, was taken into the home of his paternal grandparents in Iowa and was there reared. When he attained his majority he went to Minnesota, where he became engaged in teaming, but did not stay there long, for in that year, 1879, he came to the coast county to take a hand in railroad construction work in Oregon. Later he came to Washington, working out of Dayton as a freighter, hauling goods from Walla Walla to Spokane. He afterward took employment in the railroad shops at Sprague, then became a car inspector, following the line of the Northern Pacific railroad as it was gradually extended to its terminus. In 1885 he settled in Seattle but in 1895 returned to Dayton and engaged in farming in the vicinity of that city, where he remained until 1904, when he closed out his affairs there and homesteaded a tract of land in the Quincy neighborhood in Grant county. He "proved up" on that place and in 1908 closed out there and came to Whatcom county and took over a ranch in the Anderson creek bottoms in the neighborhood of Rome, where he carried on his farm operations until his retirement in 1920, when he removed to Bellingham, where he since has made his home, proprietor of an apartment house at 1251 Iron street for which he traded his farm.
Mr. Henderson is the possessor of a Medal of Honor granted by congress for conspicuous service in the Philippines as a soldier during the time of the Spanish-American war. When the call for volunteers went out in the spring of 1898 for service in the war against Spanish oppression in Cuba Mr. Henderson enlisted as a member of the First Regiment, Washington Volunteer Infantry, and was sent to the Philippines, his service covering the period from April, 1898, to November, 1899. He is a member of the United Spanish War Veterans and has ever taken an earnest interest in the affairs of that patriotic organization. He is a republican and is helpfully interested in local civic affairs.
On May 1, 1881, at Dayton, Washington, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage to Miss Frederika Richardson, a native of Canada, who had become a resident of Dayton during the days of her young womanhood and is thus also accounted among the pioneers of this state. Of the children born to this union all are living save one, Mr. and Mrs. Henderson having three sons, Otto H. Henderson, now living at Quincy; Elmer Henderson of Bellingham and Herbert Henderson, who is now serving in the United States navy and six daughters, namely: Adella, who married Norman D. Johnson, now living at Quincy; Mrs. Enola F. Wood of Tacoma; Mrs. Ella larson of Medford; Mary, wife of Joseph Handley, of Bellingham; Bonnie and Alice A., who are still at home. The Johnsons have six children, the Larsons one and the Handleys one, thus giving Mr. and Mrs. Henderson eight grandchildren, in whom they take a very proper pride and much delight.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 452-453
Henika, George H.
George H. Henika, who spent the last two decades of his life in honorable retirement at Bellingham, had attained the ripe old age of eighty-eight years when called to his final rest in January, 1923. His birth occurred in the year 1835, in New York, of which state his parents were also natives.
Mr. Henika spent the first seventeen years of his life in the Empire state and then made his way to Kalamazoo, Michigan, where he learned the trade of cabinetmaker. In 1858, when a young man of twenty-three, he removed to Wayland, Michigan, where he established a cabinetmaking and undertaking business, which he conducted at the same location for a period of forty years, developing his interests to extensive and profitable proportions. He sold out and retired from active business affairs about 1898. It was in 1904 that Mr. Henika traveled westward across the continent to Whatcom county, Washington, and he erected a home at No. 1502 Eldridge avenue, in Bellingham, where he spent his remaining days in well earned ease.
On May 8, 1901, Mr. Henika was united in marriage to Miss Ethel Avery, who was born at Hilliards, Michigan, in 1867, her parents being James H. and Ellen C. (Dillenback) Avery, natives of Ohio and New York, respectively. In the maternal line she is descended from the Fullers and Martins who came to America on the historic Mayflower. The Dillenbacks are of Pennsylvania Dutch stock dating back to early colonial days. James H. Avery was of English and French lineage, and was a republican in politics. His daughter Ethel spent the period of her girlhood in her native place and remained under the parental roof until the time of her marriage. She has continued a resident of Bellingham since the death of her husband and is widely and favorably known here. She gives her political allegiance to the republican party, as did her late husband, in whose passing the city of Bellingham lost a highly respected and substantial citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 92.
Albert Henke is one of the valuable citizens whom the old world has furnished to the new and is a prosperous farmer with a wide acquaintance in Lawrence township, in which he has made his home for thirty-eight years, acquiring an intimate knowledge of pioneer life. He was born September 15, 1855, and is a native of Germany. When a young man of twenty-five he came to the United States and first located in Texas. He lived in that state for five years and then journeyed to the Pacific coast, spending three years in Stockton, California. In August, 1887, he came to Whatcom county and in the following year entered a homestead in Lawrence township, casting in his lot with its early settlers. There were no roads and his supplies were secured in Bellingham, eleven miles distant. He would make the trip in a day, walking over the narrow, uneven trail and often bearing upon his back a burden of one hundred pounds. The first home of the family was made of split cedar logs and is still standing on the place. Mr. Henke secured a quarter section and through strenuous effort succeeded in clearing his land and bringing it under the plow. He has built a modern home and good barns and utilizes up-to-date appliances to facilitate the work of the fields. He is engaged in general farming and also operates a dairy. His work is carefully planned and is performed with system and thoroughness.
In 1881 Mr. Henke married Miss Augusta Abram, also a native of Germany, and their union was terminated by her death in 1920. In their family were seven children: Hugh and Ernest, both of whom passed away in Texas; Ida, who became the wife of Nicholas Garno, both being now deceased; Ollie, who was married to C. P. Rogers, of British Columbia, Canada, and has one child, a daughter; Hulda, the wife of Turner Riddle, who operates a ranch near the Henke homestead; Emma, the deceased wife of Walter Baker; and Henry, who has also passed away.
Along fraternal lines Mr. Henke is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and in politics he is nonpartisan, casting his ballot for the candidate whom he deems best fitted for office. He is deeply interested in all matters affecting the growth and progress of his district, particularly along educational lines, and served for many years on the school board. Resolute and energetic, he has never lost sight of his objective, and success has crowned his well directed labors. He has always been considerate of the rights and privileges of others, guiding his life by the Golden Rule, and his highly esteemed throughout the township.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 501-502
Henrickson, Peter J.
No country in the old world has sent to the United States a more desirable class of citizens than has Norway, for her people are characterized by those elements which are most essential in good citizenship, being people of great energy, indomitable perseverance, sound judgment and sterling honesty. They have been important factors in the development of this country, and Norwegians have attained front rank in practically every profession or vocation to which men may apply their energies. To this worthy class belongs the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this sketch, and in him are exemplified the sterling characteristics of his people. Peter J. Henrickson was born in Norway on the 7th of July, 1863, and is a son of Henrick and Marie Knutson, who were natives of Stolene, Norway. Both are now deceased, the father having died in 1895, while the mother passed away January 2, 1925, at the advanced age of eighty-nine years. They were the parents of nine children: Ingebord, Karu, Peter J., Hans, Elisa, Gerard, Mina, Ragna and Andrew, the last named being deceased.
Peter J. Henrickson received a good, practical education in the public schools of his native land and then went to work on the farms of his home neighborhood, also working to some extent in the fishing industry. In June, 1885, he came to the United States, settling in Minnesota, where he was variously employed until 1889, when he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in Lyon county, that state. He devoted his attention to the cultivation of this tract until 1894, when he sold it and obtained a position as coachman to a private family in Minneapolis, which he held for eight years. He next went to work in a foundry in that city, remaining there for two years, and then came to Washington, locating in Everett, Snohomish county, where he was employed in a sawmill for several years. In 1907 he came to Ferndale, Whatcom county, and bought thirty-five acres of raw land, of which he cleared twenty acres, and he has developed this place into one of the choice ranches of the locality. He is a good farmer and under his painstaking efforts and good management the farm has returned him a very satisfactory income. He raises general crops, principally hay, and keeps seven good grade Holstein cows. He has also a fine orchard, which adds materially to the value of the farm. He has made many splendid improvements on the place, including the erection of a barn in 1908 and of a very comfortable and attractive residence in 1913. The place is well equipped with modern machinery, and in every way Mr. Henrickson has demonstrated his capability as a progressive and up-to-date farmer.
On April 30, 1898, Mr. Henrickson was married to Miss Louise Knutson, also a native of Norway, and a daughter of Kjelstad and Marie Knutson, both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of Norway, where they died. Mr. and Mrs. Henrickson have one child, H. Conroy, who was born March 3, 1899, and is now employed as machinist's helper for a packing corporation in Alaska. Mr. Henrickson is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and of the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has been true and loyal in all the relations of life and stands as a type of that sterling manhood which ever commands respect and honor. He takes a commendable interest in the public affairs of his community, cooperating with his fellow citizens in everything relating to the public welfare, and he stands deservedly high in the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 889-890
Henspeter, Fred E.
Among the successful farmers and public-spirited and popular citizens of northwestern Whatcom county, none takes precedence over Fred E. Henspeter, to whom belongs the additional distinction of being a native son of this locality. He comes of sterling old pioneer ancestry, his father having been one of the active participants in the splendid work of development in this locality over a considerable period of years. Mr. Henspeter was born at Birch Bay on the 8th of October, 1872, and is a son of Henry and Dorothy (Herbst) Henspeter, the former of whom was born in Schwerin, Germany, of a family of generations of farmers, while the mother was born in Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Germany, her father being a farmer and stone mason.
Fred E. Henspeter received his education in the public schools of his home township and than had ten weeks at the Northwest Normal School at Lynden. Since leaving school he has devoted himself closely too the operation of the farm, in which he has shown himself a most capable and up-to-date agriculturist, maintaining the farm at a high standard of improvement and raising splendid crops of such products as are usually grown in this locality.
In 1903 Mr. Henspeter was married to Miss Genevieve O. Lafond, who was born and reared in Scranton, Mississippi, a daughter of Godfrey Lafond, who is a native of Quebec, Canada, and is now living at the old soldiers' home in Orting. To Mr. and Mrs. Henspeter have been born three children, namely: Lenore, who lives in Bellingham; Winston C., who is in the United States navy; and Jessie G., who is at home. Fraternally Mr. Henspeter is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Grange. He has taken an active part in township affairs, having served for four years as clerk of the township, one year as treasurer and six years as assessor, while in many other ways he has shown a commendable and effective interest in the material, civic and moral progress of the community. He is a well educated man, through years of close and studious reading, and is a lover of books, possessing a splendid library of the old classics and the best of current works, among which he spends many enjoyable hours. He is a companionable man and an interesting conversationalist, kindly and affable in all his social relations, and few men in this locality are held in such high esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 188
Henry Henspeter was born in Schwerin, Germany and came to the United States in 1849 locating in Pennsylvania, where he remained about six months, then moved to Illinois, where he was engaged in farming for about five years. In 1854 or 1855 he made the long overland trip, with ox teams, to California, and for about three years was engaged in gold mining. He then returned, by way of the Isthmus of Panama, to Illinois, where he bought eighty acres of land in Cook county. He was married to Dorothy Herbst and remained on that farm until 1870, when he went to Indiana and was engaged in the sawmill and lumber business for a time. In 1871 he came to San Francisco, California, on one of the first through trains, and from there by boat to Puget sound. He first located at Steilacoom, later went to Seattle, and finally took up a homestead on Fidalgo island, where he remained about six months, but did not prove up on the land. In the meantime he had purchased property at Birch Bay amounting to six hundred and thirty acres of raw and uncleared land. He came to this place by water from Whatcom, B. H. Bruns and he chartering a vessel, and he at once entered upon the task of clearing his land and getting it into cultivation. He was an indefatigable worker and by perservering industry succeeded in clearing about seventy-five acres, with the assistance of his sons, and developed it into a fertile and productive farmstead, now one of the best in this section of the county. He was a man of sound judgment and keen foresight and had a well founded vision of the wonderful possibilities of this section of the country, backing up his faith by his works. He was a man of wide general information, having received a good education in his native land, but though he talked English very well he never learned to read that language. He was deeply interested in the welfare of his adopted homeland and contributed in every possible way to the advancement and progress of his community. His death occurred August 6, 1914, and his wife died December 6, 1910.
To Henry and Dorothy Henspeter were born ten children, namely: Rose, who is married and has one child; Captain Louis, of Bellingham, who is married and has one child; Henry C., who lives near Tacoma; Ann, who is the wife of Byron Kingsley, of Blaine; August, deceased; Mrs. "Beany" Berryault, of Seattle; Emma, the wife of Richard P. Roberts; Fred E., who is the father of 3 children; Frank, of Mount Vernon, Washington, who is the father of six children; and Mrs. Carrie Mallott, of San Francisco.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 188
Henspeter, Louis; Capt.
Captain Louis Henspeter, a navigator of many years' experience in local waters, is now mate of the Milwaukee, owned by the Chicago, Milwaukee & st. Paul Railroad Company, and was formerly in the service of the Gilkie Brothers Tug Company of Anacortes. He is a member of one of the pioneer families of Whatcom county and has been a resident here, now living in Bellingham, since the days of his boyhood, a period covering more than fifty-five years. He has been in the service of the sea since the days of his young manhood and is familiar with every foot of the waters in the wonderful roundabout archipelago and throughout the sound and the straits. Captain Henspeter is a native of Illinois, born in Will county, that state, in the year 1856, and is a son of Henry and Dorothy (Herbst) Henspeter, who in 1868 came with their family to the then Territory of Washington and after a brief residence at Steilacoom came up into Whatcom county and settled on a homestead tract in the Birch Bay neighborhood, being among the pioneers of that section of the county. Henry Henspeter was a good manager and a good farmer, and as he prospered in his affairs he added to his holdings until he became one of the large landowners of that part of the county. On that place he spent his last days, his death occurring in 1918. His wife died in 1914. The farm which he built up there in the wilderness still is in the possession of the family.
Louis Henspeter was twelve years of age when he came into this region with his parents in 1868, and he grew up familiar with the many trials and hardships incident to the development of a farm in a timber wilderness. The sea presently attracted him, and instead of remaining on the farm he took to sea service and before he was twenty-five years of age was a licensed marine engineer. He studied other phases of navigation and in 1874 secured his master's papers and ever since has been engaged in navigating the waters hereabout. He was for some time the owner of three tugs - the Phantom, the Dispatch and the Columbia. For seven years Captain Henspeter was mater of a passenger vessel plying between Seattle and Bellingham, the Island Belle; was captain in turn of the Prosper and the Puritan in the Bellingham Tug & Barge Company service, and from 1922 until July, 1925, was a master in the service of the Gilkie Brothers Tug Company, operating in local waters and concerning which well established concern further mention is made elsewhere in this work. Since July, 1925, he has been mate on the Milwaukee.
On January 19, 1886, at Sacramento, California, Captain Henspeter was united in marriage to Mrs. Mary A. Hernan, who was born in that city, a daughter of Loreen and Fidelia Sperry, the former a native of Wisconsin and the latter of New York. To this union three children were born - two daughters, Lulu and Viola, deceased; and a son, Freddie, also deceased. Captain and Mrs. Henspeter reside at No. 359 South Forest street and are pleasantly situated there. Mrs. Henspeter is one of the active members of the Whatcom Falls Club and is otherwise interested in the general social activities of the city. Captain Henspeter is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is widely known in marine circles up and down the coast and has a well established record as a careful navigator.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 814-817
Hickey, A. L.
The true measure of individual success is determined by what one has accomplished, and in contradistinction to the old adage that a prophet is not without honor save in his own country, there is particular interest attached to the career of the subject of this sketch, since he is a native son of Whatcom county, where his entire life has been passed, and he has so directed his ability and efforts as to gain recognition as one of the representative citizens of the vicinity, being a worthy scion of one of our sterling pioneer families. A. L. Hickey was born in Ferndale township, Whatcom county, in 1892, and is a son of M. A. and Mahala F. (Wheddon) Hickey, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Tipton county, Indiana. They are referred to at length in a personal sketch of M. A. Hickey, which appears on other pages of this work. Our subject secured his educational training in the public schools of Woodland and Weiser Lake and was reared to the life of a farmer, which occupation he has followed throughout his active career, assisting his father for many years, and he is now giving his sole attention to the operation of the old home farm, consisting of one hundred and fifty-four acres, on which the family located in 1902. When they came to this place only twenty acres were cleared, but one hundred and thirty acres are now cleared and the major portion of it is under cultivation. Dairying is the principal occupation of the family, and they keep thirty-three high grade Guernsey cows and a registered sire. They raise their own hay and grain and also enough corn for ensilage. A. L. Hickey has shown himself well adapted to the vocation which he is following and has gained a high reputation throughout the community because of his progressive and up-to-date methods. Idleness is entirely foreign to his nature and he does thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes.
In 1916 Mr. Hickey was married to Miss Edith Marr, who was born and reared in Missouri, a daughter of J. S. and Ann (Hilgie) Marr, both of whom now live in Bellingham, this county. To their union have been born four children, namely: Hazel Dell, Glenn, Earl and Jack. Personally Mr. Hickey is a man of strong personality, keeps closely in touch with the great issues of the day, on which he holds decided opinions, and has been deeply interested in everything pertaining to the prosperity and welfare of his community, cooperating with his fellow citizens in the advancement of every measure for the public good. Genial and friendly, he enjoys a wide acquaintance throughout his section of the county and has a large circle of warm and loyal friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 197-198
Hickey, M. A.
The old pioneers of Whatcom county are deserving of every consideration, for to them the present generation is indebted for laying the foundation on which is builded the present splendid prosperity of this section of the country. Their early years here were characterized by innumerable privations and hardships, their days were filled with the severest labor, and not a little danger attended them night and day during those years, for Indians and wild animals were numerous. Among this courageous band of first settlers was M. A. Hickey, who after a long and useful career is now retired from active life and in his comfortable home in Ferndale is enjoying that leisure to which he is richly entitled.
Mr. Hickey was born in Canton, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, in 1853, and is a son of M. A. and Margaret (Falver) Hickey, both of whom also were natives of the old Keystone state. The father followed the vocation of farming, and he was accidentally killed by a falling tree. Our subject attended school in his native locality, but his health was poor, and at the age of twelve years he went to Iowa, where he remained until 1878, when he went to Colorado, Wyoming and other states, being engaged in mining and similar work. In 1881 he came to Washington and in the following year to Lynden, where he homesteaded and preempted tracts of virgin land, later converting his preemption into a homestead, located near Weiser lake, in Ferndale township. He remained there a number of years, proving up on his land, and then returned east to be married. His early years here were years of continuous toil, for the land which he took up was previously untouched by human hands, and a vast amount of work was required to remove the dense growth of timber and brush with which it was covered. There were no roads and all provisions had to be "packed" in from Ferndale, which was his nearest trading point. Wild game and fish were plentiful, however, and he did not lack for meat on his table. He cleared about sixty acres of the tract and ditched it, the land proving to be very fertile and productive.
Mr. Hickey lived on that place until 1900, when he sold it and bought one hundred and fifty-nine acres on the Guide Meridian road, near the river in Lynden township. He cleared all of this land excepting about fifteen acres, the tract having been encumbered with small timber and brush, and some cedar, while many cedar stumps had to be disposed of before the land could be cultivated to any advantage. To the cultivation of this place Mr. Hickey devoted himself closely until 1918, when, feeling that he had done his share of work, and having accumulated sufficient competence, he moved to Ferndale and turn the operation of the farm over to his son, Arthur L., who is now managing the place. Mr. Hickey have his attention largely to dairy farming during his later years, keeping an average of about twenty cows, and also raised diversified crops. He was known as an energetic and progressive farmer, created a fine farmstead and at all times has enjoyed a high reputation among his fellowmen.
In 1888, in Iowa, Mr. Hickey was married to Miss Mahala F. Wheddon, who was born in Tipton county, Indiana, a daughter of Cornelius and Lydia (Stewart) Wheddon, both of whom were natives of Kentucky. She went with her parents to Iowa when seven years of age and lived there until her marriage. Her parents came to Whatcom county in 1889 and thereafter spent most of their time in the home of the subject. They are both now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Hickey were born four children, namely: Arthur L., who is operating the old home farm, and who is mentioned in a personal sketch on other pages of this work; Esther, who became the wife of Ernest Miller and has one child; Susie who became the wife of Alvie Sooter, of Ten Mile township, and has two children; and Norman F. who also lives on the home place, is married and has one child. Mr. Hickey was one of the first stockholders in the old Lynden Creamery and was active and influential in the affairs of the locality, lending his influence to the promotion of all legitimate enterprises for the general good. He rendered effective service as road supervisor and served as a school director of the Ferndale district and of the Weiser lake district. Few men of the county have played a better role in the general progress of the locality that he, for while laboring for his individual advancement he never shrank from his larger duties to the community, and now, in the golden Indian summer of his years, surrounded by the comforts of life as a result of his former industry, he can look back over a career well spent, in which duty was well and conscientiously performed, and know that he has the good will and hearty esteem of all who have come in contact with him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 186-187
Higgerson, Lawyel E.
Lawyel E. Higgerson, proprietor of "Red's" cafe, 1320 Cornwall avenue, Bellingham, and widely known throughout Whatcom county, is a native of Illinois but has been a resident of Bellingham since the days of his boyhood, being but eight years of age when in 1901 his parents, F. M. and Laura (Ash) Higgerson, came with their family to Whatcom county and settled on a farm near Bellingham. Lawyel E. Higgerson supplemented the education received in the Bellingham schools by a course in college at Canton, Ohio, and in 1915 in that city was united in marriage to Miss Sadie Montgomery, daughter of C. C. Montgomery of Canton. They have one child, a son, Howard E. Higgerson, born in 1917.
Upon his return to Bellingham in 1915 Mr. Higgerson embarked in the restaurant business and in 1918 bought an interest in Martin's restaurant. On April 8, 1923, he sold that and established his present place at 1320 Cornwall avenue, to which he gave the name of "Red's" Cafe, and has since been quite successfully engaged in business there. This cafe is equipped in a thoroughly up-to-date fashion, with seating capacity for about seventy persons, and it has acquired a wide reputation for the excellence of its cuisine and the high standard of its service. From twenty to twenty-five persons are employed in the establishment, to which Mr. Higgerson gives his personal attention, and the popularity attained by the cafe has caused it to become recognized as one of the fixed institutions of the city.
Mr. Higgerson is a member of the locally influential Optimists Club, an indefatigable "booster" in behalf of the general interests of his home town, and is also affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 870
HIGGINSON, Mrs. Ella Rhoada, poet and author, was born in a log cabin near Council Grove, Kans., in 1862. Her maiden name was Ella Rhoads. In 1864 her family moved westward over the plains to Oregon, where she has spent most of her life. Her educational advantages were limited to a grammar-school course and a short season in the Oregon City Seminary. In 1886 she became the wife of Russell C. Higginson, a druggist, and their home is in Sehome, on Bellingham Bay, Puget Sound, Washington. Mrs. Higginson edited a woman's department in the "West Shore" for several years, and she also contributes to a number of eastern periodicals and journals. In her girlhood she wrote several love stories, but she did not seriously attempt literature until 1888. In that year she sent a poem to the Boston "Courier," which attracted general attention and was widely copied. She had published a number of poems in the "West Shore," but the Boston incident was her first important incentive to higher effort. Since that date she has written and published many remarkable poems, and she now ranks with the foremost of the younger singers of the United States. (Source: American Women, by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
The late Delos E. Hill, veteran painter and decorator, who died at his home in Bellingham in 1912, was one of the pioneer business men of that city, for years widely known throughout this region, and it is but proper that in this definite history of the county in which his interests were so long centered there should be set out some brief tribute to the good memory he left at his passing, together with some mention of the character of his life and services here.
Mr. Hill was a native of the old Empire state, born in the village of Prattsburg, in Steuben county, in 1861, and was a member of one of the old families of New York. He was brought up in his home town, was given good schooling and early became a proficient painter and interior decorator, a vocation he followed all his life, active in the trade in him home state until his arrival in Washington in 1890, the year after this state was admitted to the Union. Upon coming to the coast Mr. Hill took up his residence in the Bay settlements which in 1903 were consolidated under the name of Bellingham, and opened up a paint shop in the Pike building, there entering upon his long career as local painter and interior decorator. As occasion and the increasing demands of the expanding city required he moved from time to time to various locations, was located on Elk street and later on Cornwall avenue and prior to his death in 1912 was a member of the firm of Sutcliffe & Hill, doing business on Holly street.
In 1885, in Prattsburg, New York, Delos E. Hill was united in marriage to Miss Anna Hayward, who was born in Prattsburg, that state, and who survives him. To that union were born three sons, Harry Hayward, Joseph (deceased) and Ray Hill, the last named making his home with his mother. These sons were given a college education, Harry H. Hill, now living in Seattle, married Daris A. Miller and has one child, Stirling M. Hill. He is a Mason and is also affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Since the death of her husband Mrs. Hill has continued to make her home in Bellingham, with the exception of a year spent in New York and a year spent in Tacoma, and is quite pleasantly situated here, residing at 319 Magnolia street.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 291-292
Hillard, O. E.
The Scandinavian races are largely represented in the citizenship of Whatcom county, which is much indebted to these hardy pioneers for its development, particularly along agricultural lines, and of this type is O. E. Hillard, the owner of a valuable ranch in the vicinity of Everson. He was born January 8, 1860, and is a native of Norway. He came to the United States in 1889 and settled in Polk county, Minnesota, in which he lived for seventeen years. On November 1, 1906, he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and purchased his present homestead, a tract of seventy-seven acres, situated in Lawrence township. He has built a good home and his place is well cared for, reflecting the close supervision and enterprising spirit of its owner. Mr. Hillard has made a success of the poultry business, specializing in pure bred Leghorns. He has a flock of eight hundred hens, and from the sale of the products of his dairy he also receives a valuable addition to his income.
In June, 1895, Mr. Hillard married Miss Inga Strand, also a Norwegian, who came to the new world during her girlhood. To their union were born six children: Esther, the wife of Ole A. Nesset, of Acme, by whom she has three children: Arthur Ingman, at home; Martin, deceased, and Myrtle, Ivan and Alma, who reside with their parents. The elder son aids his father in the operation of the homestead, relieving him of much of the burden of the work, and is an experienced and capable agriculturist. He belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, with which his father is likewise connected, and the son is also a member of the Poultry Raisers Association. All of the family are affiliated with the Lutheran church, and the subject of this sketch is an adherent of the democratic party. He take the interest of a good citizen in public affairs, while Mrs. Hillard's contribution to the general good covers a term of service on the school board. The family is highly respected in the community and theirs is one of the most hospitable homes in the township.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 564
Hillier, B. S.
The prosperity and welfare of a town or county are in a large measure due to the enterprise and wise foresight of its business men. It is the progressive, wide-awake men of affairs that make the real history of a community and their influence in shaping and directing its varied interests is difficult to estimate. B. S. Hillier, who for a number of years has been recognized as one of Whatcom county's most successful poultrymen, is well deserving of specific mention in the annals of his county, for he had in a large measure set the pace in his particular line of business.
Mr. Hillier is a native of Wisconsin, his birth occurring in Dane county, February 23, 1882, and he is a son of J. W. and Amelia (Willard) Hillier. On the maternal side he is directly related to Frances E. Willard, whose splendid achievements in the cause of temperance forms an important chapter in our national history. The father was born in England, June 5, 1843, and when four years of age was brought to this country by his parents, who became pioneers of Wisconsin, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1915. The mother, who was born December 8, 1850, passed away in 1913.
B. S. Hillier received his elementary education in the public schools of his native state and then entered the State Agricultural College, at Madison, where he was graduated in 1903. He was then for a time employed on fruit ranches, and was later put in charge of horticulture and poultry at the State Boys Industrial School at St. Charles, Illinois, where he remained two years. He then bought twenty acres of land at Sparta, Wisconsin, and engaged in the fruit and dairy business, in connection with which he also gave considerable attention to poultry. In 1913 he sold that place and came to Whatcom county, Washington, where he rented a small ranch, which he operated for about a year, at the end of that time buying fifty-two acres of land in Ferndale township, known as the old Ramsay place, one of the oldest homesteads in the township. It is located about eight and a half miles north of Bellingham and contains both creek bottom and high land, very suitable soil for poultry raising and for summer pasture. Mr. Hillier remodeled the old house, making of it a very comfortable and attractive home, and also built two big laying houses for his hens, each twenty by one hundred and forty feet in size. He began the poultry business here with about two hundred chicks, of trap-nested stock, and as he succeeded in the business he gradually expanded and increased his flocks until now he carries between five thousand and six thousand hens, about a thousand of them being high grade, trap-nested fowls. He does his own brooding, and in 1925 raised about three thousand two hundred pullets. He also keeps a herd of fine Guernsey cattle, thus giving him and abundant supply of milk for the chickens.
Mr. Hillier handles only White Leghorns, of the Tom Barron, Tancred and Hollywood strains, than which there are no better or more reliable strains, and he specializes in trap-nest work, having a trap-nest capacity of one thousand pullets. In this way he is enabled to produce some very fine high grade breeders. He traps only pullets that show marks of making good breeders and sells no hatching eggs, baby chicks, pullets or cockerels except from breeders that have been raised and trapped on his own ranch. His trap-nest work has been approved by the State Trap-Nesters Association, so that buyers of Mr. Hillier's stock have every reasonable guarantee that the stock they purchase will be of the very highest grade and of purest strains.
In April, 1907, Mr. Hillier was married to Miss Ethel Hamilton, who was born and reared in Iowa county, Wisconsin, a daughter of Robert and Etta Hamilton, both of whom were born and reared in Arena, Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Hillier have two children: Willard, who was born in Wisconsin, June 4, 1911, and is now a student in high school; and Philip, who was born in Washington, June 16, 1915.
Mr. Hillier is a member of the board of directors of the Whatcom County Poultry Association, having been one of its organizers and the first president, while his wife is secretary and treasurer of the Co-operative Hatchery of Whatcom County. To her helpfulness he attributes much of his success in the poultry business. He is president of the local Federal Farm Loan Association. By a straightforward and commendable course he has made his way to a respected position among the successful business men of Whatcom county, winning the hearty admiration of the people of his locality and earning a reputation as an enterprising, progressive man of affairs which the public has not been slow to recognize and appreciate. Unostentatious in manner, he is, nevertheless, friendly and affable, and since coming to this county he has won a host of warm and loyal friends, who esteem his for his genuine worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 534-537
Hills, Julian C.
Julian C. Hills, city engineer of Bellingham, has used his knowledge for the benefit of mankind, and his superior ability has made his known and respected throughout the northwest. He was born March 4, 1873, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, a son of William and Mary Hills, who are both deceased. His higher education was received in the engineering department of the University of Minnesota, and he began his professional career with the Great Northern railroad. For nineteen years he was in the service of that corporation, his labors during that period extending from St. Paul, Minnesota, to Vancouver, British Columbia. In 1906, he came to Whatcom county and constructed the road from Blaine, Washington, to New Westminster, British Columbia. He resigned his position in 1909 and aided in building the line in the Real River district of Canada. For two years he was engaged in the private practice of his profession at New Westminster, and in 1912 he was called to Blaine, Washington, as city engineer. He built the sewer system and the docks and also laid out the streets. In 1917 he was appointed assistant engineer of Whatcom county and subsequently was made acting county engineer.
In 1918 Mr. Hills was chosen county engineer, and his record won him reelection at the close of his first term. He served for five years in all, and under his supervision one hundred and twenty miles of concrete pavement were laid in the county, whose highways now rank with the best in the state. He then returned to Minnesota and afterward made an automobile tour covering a distance of twenty-two thousand miles. On the completion of the tour he was appointed to his present office, assuming his new duties in January, 1924, and he was the moving spirit in securing for the city its fine water supply. He has a comprehensive knowledge of Bellingham's problems and needs and recognizes the value of its splendid natural resources, working at all times for the city's best interests.
In October, 1895, Mr. Hills was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Jourdain, a native of Minnesota, and they have two children: Julian C., Jr., and Marjorie M. Mr. Hills casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party and along fraternal lines is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a distinguished representative of his profession, and thorough technical training, constant study and broad experience enable him to speak with authority upon many questions of civil engineering.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 91
Hilmes, John B.
Though two decades have come and gone since John B. Hilmes was called to his final rest, he is still remembered by many of Bellingham's older residents as a citizen of high standing who owned and controlled valuable realty interests here. Prior to coming to Washington he had attained success as a lawyer and a journalist. He was fifty-eight years of age when he passed away June 26, 1906, his birth having occurred at Riedenburg, Germany, June 4, 1848. His early education was acquired in the schools of his native country, where he remained until he reached his majority, when he immigrated to the United States and joined a brother who was preaching the gospel in Illinois as a minister of the Methodist church. Subsequently he spent four years as a student in the Central Wesleyan College at Warrenton, Missouri, after which he was engaged in teaching school at Chester, Illinois, for one year. At the same time he read law and eventually opened a law office in association with the firm of Johnson & Horner, well known attorneys of Chester, where he was engaged in the practice of his chosen profession for three years.
On the expiration of that period Mr. Hilmes removed to Perryville, Missouri, where he resumed law work and was also the owner and publisher of a weekly paper, The Sun, which he subsequently lost by fire, together with his law office. Immediately afterward, by reason of the persuasion and assistance of a very dear friend, William Furth, he purchased a new printing office equipment and in less than a month The Sun was welcomed by the many appreciative subscribers. At the end of seven years of residence at Perryville Mr. Hilmes followed the advice of Horace Greeley to "go west" and made his way to Saint John, Kansas, where he devoted his attention to law practice for a period of seventeen years, and there he filled the offices of probate judge and county attorney, also serving as a member of the school board. He was likewise identified with journalistic interests as editor and publisher of the County Capital, a weekly newspaper, and as publisher of the Democrat-Populist, the organ of the party formed by the fusion of the democrats and the populists. Leaving the Sunflower state in 1902, Mr. Hilmes came westward to Washington and took up his abode at Bellingham, then known as Whatcom. Here he owned and managed the Sunset block for a time and after selling that property purchased the Maple block.
On March 10, 1879, at Alton, Illinois, Mr. Hilmes was united in marriage to Mary J. Medlen, whose birth occurred at Pilot Knob, Missouri, in 1859, her parents being George Washington and Jennie (McBride) Medlen, natives of England and Scotland, respectively. She was left fatherless and motherless at the tender age of five years and thereafter spent seven years in an orphanage, for all of the property belonging to the children of the family was stolen by unscrupulous persons. Subsequently she made her home with a sister at Decatur, Bunker Hill, Chester and Alton, Illinois. For a period of six years she directed the major portion of the newspaper work connected with her husband's publishing enterprises. By her marriage she became the mother of eight children, but the three sons of the family are deceased. Those who survive are as follows: Anna Mae, who owns stock in the Bellingham American, a daily paper; Lillian C., who is employed as bookkeeper by Newton's Incorporated, a women's clothing establishment of Bellingham; Sarah A., who is assistant treasurer and private secretary in the service of the Metropolitan Building Company of Seattle; Abigail M., who is the widow of G. L. Crews and mother of one son, Jack Hilmes Crews, and who now has charge of the circulation department of the Bellingham American; and Ruth Fay Amelia, the wife of Raymond W. Kidwiler, superintendent of the electrical department of the Metropolitan Building Company of Seattle. Mr. and Mrs. Kidwiler are the parents of two children, Jean Helen and William Wayne.
Mr. Hilmes gave his political support to the democratic party, was a Methodist in religious faith and held membership in the Fraternal Aid Union. His widow has the same political, religious and fraternal connections and also belongs to the Tribe of Ben Hur. Mr. Hilmes never regretted his determination to seek a home in the new world, for here he found the opportunities which he sought and through their wise utilization won both prosperity and an honored name.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 143-144