Hinckley, Agnes (Arbuckle) Crabtree
In the settlement of Whatcom county the women bore their full share of hardship and suffering, helping the men in the arduous work of the newly-created homes, cheering them when discouraged, sharing their dangers, mitigating their sufferings and rejoicing in their success, so that the record of the early history of this should consistently contain mention of the part women have played in the development and improvement of the community. Among the honored and respected women of Lynden township none occupies a higher place in the esteem of the people than does Mrs. Agnes Hinckley, who is managing her splendid farm in a businesslike manner and is meeting with well deserved success. She was born in Ontario, Canada, and is a daughter of Robert and Jane (McNivers) Arbuckle, both of whom were natives of Scotland, where they were reared and married, and who became the parents of twelve children, six sons and six daughters. They immigrated to America, locating in Canada during the late '50s.
Agnes Arbuckle received her education in the public schools of her home neighborhood and in girlhood went to Minnesota, where she spent the winter of 1888-89. There she was married to Charles H. Crabtree, who was a native of Illinois, and they came to Whatcom county, locating in Lynden township, where Mr. Crabtree bought eighty acres of land. Their tract was located in a veritable wilderness, to which only a trail was opened, so that everything had to be carried in - even the lumber for the house which they built. The land was badly encumbered with logs stumps and brush, shingle bolts only having been taken from the place. A vast amount of hard work was required to get the g round ready for cultivation, but at the time of Mr. Crabtree's death, in 1893, he had made a very excellent showing and the farm was on a productive basis. To their union were born five children, namely: Herbert, who lives near Sumas, this county; George, who lives in Idaho; Ethel, who is the wife of Lee A. Williamson, of Lynden, and the mother of three children; Walter, of Roy, Washington, who is married and has two children; and Edgar, who remains at home with his mother. In 1902 Mrs. Crabtree became the wife of A. H. Hinckley, who was a native of Michigan and a son of Asa and Caroline Hinckley. Mr. Hinckley came to Whatcom county in the '90s, and he was the owner of forty acres of land.
The years intervening between the death of Mr. Crabtree and her marriage to Mr. Hinckley were strenuous ones for Mrs. Hinckley, as there was yet a large amount of work to be done in the way of clearing the land and making other improvements on the farm. In this task, however, she was ably assisted by her sons, who loyally gave her their best efforts, so that between ten and fifteen acres of the land were cleared and put under the plow. She also traded ten acres of her uncleared land in return for labor in clearing. Mr. Hinckley died in 1912, since which time Mrs. Hinckley has continued the operation of the farm. To her second union was born a daughter, Audrey Mary, who died in 1920, while a student in high school. Mrs. Hinckley is now the owner of seventy acres of good land, between forty and fifty acres of which are cleared, the remainder being devoted to pasturage. She gives her attention mainly to dairy farming, for which purpose she keeps sixteen good grade milk cows and a registered Jersey sire. Her fertile fields produce hay and grain in abundance for the stock, while a good vegetable garden keeps the table supplied in season.
Mr. Crabtree was a member of the board of directors of the Northwood school district and assisted in the building of the schoolhouse, donating material and labor. When he and his wife first settled in Lynden township, Sunday school and church services were held in their home until the erection of the schoolhouse, where the services were held for many years. Mr. Hinckley also was deeply interested in educational affairs, and he was for nine years a member of the school board, serving in that capacity at the time of his death. Edgar Crabtree is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. Mrs. Hinckley is an active member of the Baptist church, as was Mr. Crabtree. A woman of fine personal qualities, tactful and gracious in manner, she is a popular member of the circles in which she moves, being greatly admired for her useful and worthy life.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 60-61
Hinton, George W. A.
In every community there are men who by the consensus of public opinion are classed with its most useful and enterprising citizens, and to this distinction George W. A. Hinton has attained, for Glacier is indebted to him for its development and progress along many lines. A native of Canada, he was born in Bathurst, New Brunswick, July 3, 1883, and his parents, William and Mary (Armstrong) Hinton, came to this section of Washington in 1907. The father entered coal claims and secured patents to his land, which contains six hundred and forty acres of the best hard coal west of Pennsylvania. With the assistance of Judge Emory, of Everett, William Polsen and Angus Oliver he organized the Glacier Coal Company and remained at its head until his death. This is one of the most valuable coal properties in the United States and will soon be developed. The demise of William Hinton occurred in June, 1924. His widow still resides at Glacier.
George W. A. Hinton received a public school education and after laying aside his textbooks learned the plumber's trade. During his youth the family migrated to Michigan, and he remained in that state until 1908, when he came to Washington. He worked for a time in a coal mine at Glacier and in 1915 purchased a ranch adjoining the town, establishing a dairy on his place. He has installed modern equipment and his output is of high quality, finding a ready sale on the market. In 1920 he bought the Glacier Waterworks plant and is now supplying the town. He has erected a fine garage in Glacier and rents the building. On April 14, 1925, Mr. Hinton became the owner of the general store of D. A. Griffen & Company and recently added a bakery to the establishment. He handles groceries, shoes, hardware, ready-to-wear garments, etc., and has a large stock of general merchandise of the best grade. A sagacious, farsighted business man, he is always prepared to supply the needs of customers, and his trade covers a wide area. He also owns eighty acres of valuable coal land with a mile of railroad trackage, and he is constantly expanding the scope of his activities as opportunity offers, carrying forward to a successful termination whatever he undertakes.
In July, 1904 Mr. Hinton married Miss Elva Sisson, a native of Munising, Michigan, and formerly a teacher. In 1921 they adopted a daughter, Eleanor. Mr. Hinton is identified with the Masonic order and casts an independent ballot, standing at all times for clean politics and good government. He has been chosen to fill important public offices, serving as township clerk for two years and as township supervisor for five years, and for seven years he has been treasurer of the township. He has lived in Glacier for eighteen years and in point of continuous residence is the oldest settler. Possessing that quality which has been termed the "commercial sense," he has avoided the many pitfalls into which unrestricted progressiveness is so frequently led, focusing his energies in directions where fruition is certain. His breadth of view has enabled him to recognize possibilities not only for his own advancement but also for the development of his community, and his loyalty and public spirit, have prompted him to utilize the latter as quickly and effectively as the former.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 643-644
The basic principles of practically all American institutions are English, and no people who have come to this country have so affected the destinies of the nation as have the English. They have proved to be the best of our foreign-born citizens, have been true to our institutions and have bravely defended our country in time of danger. Among the Englishmen who have proven potent factors in the development of Whatcom county is Harry Hinton, one of the successful and enterprising farmers and public-spirited citizens of Nooksack township. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, on the 18th of November, 1867, and is a son of H. W. and Mary Ann (Mitchell) Hinton, both of whom also were born in England, the father in March, 1842, and the mother in 1844. H. W. Hinton came to the United States in 1868, locating first in Wisconsin, where he remained two years, going from there to Iowa, where he followed his trade, that of a carpenter. In 1879 he came to Spokane, Washington, and bought a quarter section of land from the Northern Pacific Railroad. He cultivated this tract for twelve years and then, in 1891, sold it and coming to the Nooksack valley, Whatcom county, bought one hundred and sixty acres, four miles north of Everson. He applied himself to the task of clearing the land of the timber and brush which encumbered it and in the course of time developed a fine farm, on which he lived until 1910, when he retired, and he is now living in Bellingham, at the age of eighty-three years. His wife died in December, 1889. They were the parents of eleven children, of which number six survive, namely: Harry, Susan, William, Robert, Albert and Minnie.
Harry Hinton attended the public schools in Spokane county and then devoted himself to assisting his father until his marriage. In 1891 he had purchased forty acres of raw land, three miles north of Everson, and after his marriage he settled on this tract, to the clearing and improvement of which he devoted himself. He had learned the carpenter's trade, and to some extent he worked at that vocation for a number of years. He then devoted himself exclusively to his farming operations, built a small house, and was soon on the road to success. In 1906 he bought twenty acres adjoining his farm and is now the owner of sixty acres of good fertile land, thirty acres of which are under the plow, the remainder being in pasture and timber. Mr. Hinton keeps twelve good grade Jersey cows and a team of horses, and he devotes his arable land mainly to hay, grain and beans. He also has a good size berry patch and keeps about four hundred laying hens. He raises many varieties of fruit, of which Mrs. Hinton keeps a well stocked cellar, and they have a splendid vegetable garden, the table being thus well supplied.
On July 2, 1896, Mr. Hinton was married to Miss Augusta Smith, who was born in Wisconsin, a daughter of G. D. and Rose (Bowen) Smith, the former a native of New York state and the latter of Wisconsin. Mr. Smith came to Whatcom county in 1888 and homesteaded forty acres of land four and a half miles north of Everson. His first house there wa built of split cedar lumber. He cleared off about half of the land, was successful in his farming operations and lived there until his death on July 17, 1906. His wife is still living there. They were the parents of four children: Augusta, Esther, Maude, deceased, and Warren. To Mr. and Mrs. Hinton have been born seven children: Mrs. Ida Sollenger, born May 22, 1897, is the mother of four children - Edna, born August 30, 1919, Joseph, born December 2, 1921; Betty, born December 30, 1923; and Phyllis, born August 3, 1925. George, born January 26, 1899, is at home and has taken over the active management of the home farm. Robert, born March 11, 1902, was married to Miss Margaret Kirkman, and they have two children - Alvin Gene, born December 13, 1921; and Wilma, born November 2, 1923. Mrs. Helen Hannah, whose husband is instructor in manual training in the Nooksack high school, was born February 16, 1904, and is the mother of a son, Kedric, born March 15, 1925. Edna, born September 3, 1906, died August 8, 1925. Leo was born July 12, 1910, and Warren was born September 3, 1919.
Mr. Hinton is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has taken an active part in local public affairs, and he helped organize the township board of supervisors, of which he was a member for six years. He also served for six years as a member of the board of school directors. He earnestly supports every measure calculated to advance the best interests of the community along material, civic or moral lines and has long been considered one of the most substantial and influential citizens of the community. He is a man of broad general information and sound opinions on the public questions of the day, and his personal character has never been questioned.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 484-485
As one of the pioneer building contractors of Bellingham, Fred Hintz is widely and favorably known, and for thirty-five years he has also been numbered among the progressive agriculturists of this district. A son of John Frederick and Jane (Davis) Hintz, he was born August 27, 1860, and is a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. His father was a wagon maker by trade and in 1865 moved with his family to Iowa. He took up government land and resided in that state until his demise in 1876. He was long survived by the mother, who reached the venerable age of eighty-two years, passing away in Bellingham in 1922.
Fred Hintz was but five years old when his parents migrated to Iowa, and his education was acquired in the Hawkeye state. After his graduation from high school he obtained a position in an architect's office in which he spent two years, and then served an apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade. He followed his trade for seven years at Fort Kearney, Nebraska, and in 1890 came to Bellingham, which was then known as Whatcom. He is a master workman and has erected many buildings which are the principal ornaments of their respective neighborhoods, pleasing to the eye and constructed with a conscientious regard for real utility and the comfort and convenience of their inmates. In 1891 Mr. Hintz purchased three and one-third acres of land near Bellingham and afterward added seven acres to his holdings. He has one of the best farms of the locality and is much interested in fruit raising, having a fine apple orchard of three acres. He owns four blooded cows, and he is also engaged in the poultry business, keeping a flock of two hundred hens. He gives deep thought to his work, which is performed with thoroughness and efficiency, and has prospered in all of his undertakings.
In 1887 Mr. Hintz married Miss Sophia Maria Wilson, who was born in Ohio and in early life moved to Kansas. They have become the parents of six children, of who Hazel is the eldest. She is the wife of Jack Boyd, of Acme, Washington, and they have a family of four children. Itha Fern was united in marriage to T. E. McCoy and they are now living in Seattle. Forrest Ray, who married C. M. Harter, resides in Tacoma and has two children. Jessie, the next in order of birth, is at home. Majel, a talented vocalist, is a widow and has one child, a son. Vera is the wife of L. R. Hensley, and their home is in Spokane, Washington.
Mr. Hintz is an accomplished musician, playing both the clarinet and the bass drum, and his daughters have inherited his artistic gifts. During his youth he was noted for his athletic prowess, winning many foot races, and he also achieved prominence in exhibition boxing, participating in that sport until 1920. He is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America and in politics follows an independent course, placing the qualifications of a candidate above all other considerations. His is a symmetrical, well rounded life, crowned with success and marked by the appreciation of men whose good opinion is worth the having.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 549-550
James Hoag received no assistance at the outset of his career, but with ambition and confidence in his own powers he has steadily progressed along lines of general usefulness as well as individual success and has long been recognized as one of the most progressive agriculturists of Deming township. He was born March 7, 1868, in Huntington county, Indiana, and his parents were R. W. and Sabina (Tarn) Hoag, the latter also a Hoosier. The father was a native of New York state and engaged in farming and merchandising, also operating a sawmill.
James Hoag received a public school education and early in life began to provide for his own maintenance, losing his father when but ten years of age. He was employed along various lines in Indiana and in the fall of 1891 arrived in Deming. He worked for some time in the lumber camps of Whatcom county and then purchased a livery stable in Deming. He operated a stage line and also engaged in contracting. In 1905 he purchased a tract of twenty acres adjoining the town and has since devoted his energies to the development of this property. He has a fine farm, equipped with modern, labor-saving devices and improved with good buildings. His well tilled fields produce rich harvests, and he has also found dairying a profitable industry when conducted along scientific lines.
On July 2, 1895, Mr. Hoag married Miss Miriam Langdon, a native of Pennsylvania and a daughter of William and Jane D. (Jackson) Langdon. They migrated to Alameda, California, in 1886 and afterward went to San Francisco, where the father passed away. Mrs. Langdon and her daughter Miriam came to Deming township in 1893, and the mother bought from the government a relinquishment claim of eighty acres. She developed the tract and continued to make her home on the farm until her demise. To Mr. and Mrs. Hoag were born five children: Edna, now the wife of D. A. Vaughan, of Colfax, Washington; Harry, who lives in Bellingham and has a wife and daughter; James V., who resides in Bellingham and is also married; Fay, who was married to Chester Bott, the owner of a ranch near the Hoag homestead, and has two children; and Alice, aged eleven years.
Mr. Hoag is identified with the Knights of Pythias and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has many sincere friends throughout Deming township, in which he has spent much of his life, and every project destined to prove of benefit to the district receives his strong endorsement and earnest support.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 660-663
Hoff, Carl Herman
Carl Herman Hoff is known throughout the Pacific northwest as a successful lumberman, and for more than a quarter of a century his energies have been directed into this field of activity. He has aided in framing the laws of his state, and Lawrence has derived additional prestige from his citizenship. He was born January 24, 1878, in Wisconsin, to which state he father and mother, Hans Christian and Caroline (Lunde) Hoff, went with their parents early in the '50s. Hans C. Hoff followed agricultural pursuits in Wisconsin until 1881, when he settled on a ranch in Nebraska, and for several years was a resident of that state. In 1891 he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and purchased a tract of sixty acres in Lawrence township, casting in his lot with its early settlers. He cleared his land and as the years passed converted the place into a productive farm. Death summoned him in 1918, and the mother passed away in 1915. They had three children: Mrs. K. A. Sorenson, whose husband is manager of the Grange warehouse at Bellingham; Gustave C., who is living in Ephrata, Washington; and Carl Herman.
Carl H. Hoff attended the public schools of Nebraska and Washington and also had the benefit of a course in a business college at Parkland, Washington. He was employed as a clerk in Bellingham and in 1897 opened a store in Lawrence. He conducted the business for three years and in the spring of 1900 formed a partnership with James Pinkey. They conducted shingle mills in various parts of the country and now have a large mill of this nature at Kulshan, with a force of thirty-five men. They have also established a sawmill in Kulshan, having twenty-five workers in the plant, and sixty men are employed in their logging camps. Since 1909 the business has been conducted under the style of Hoff & Pinkey, Inc., and the subject of this sketch is filling the offices of secretary and treasurer. The members of the firm are exceptionally capable business men, well informed on matters pertaining to the lumber industry, and the output of their mills is of high quality, finding a ready market in the coast cities.
In 1900 Mr. Hoff married Miss Josephine Tollum, a daughter of Christian and Helga Tollum, who migrated from North Dakota to Washington in 1888 and have since made their home in Whatcom county. Mr. and Mrs. Hoff have three children: Hubert James, who is a young man of twenty-three years and assists his father in business; Raymond, aged eighteen years and a high school student; and Caroline, a child of five years.
Mr. Hoff has a beautiful home in Lawrence and also owns valuable farm land in this vicinity. He is affiliated with the Lutheran church and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He served for many years on the school board and for four sessions was a member of the state legislature, to which he was first elected in 1911. He carefully studied the problems brought before the house and gave his earnest support to all measures which he believed would prove of benefit to the commonwealth. Mr. Hoff owes his rise in the business world to a capacity for hard work, coupled with the ability to meet and master situations, and is honored and respected for his integrity, enterprise and public spirit.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 522-523
Hoffman, Angus and George
Commercial activity in Acme has received marked stimulus from the members of the firm of Hoffman Brothers, general merchants and for more than twenty years influential factors in local business circles. The firm is composed of Angus and George Hoffman, natives of Ontario, Canada, and sons of Henry and Annie (McMillan) Hoffman. They were reared on their father's farm, and in 1898 Angus Hoffman came to Washington. He lived for a year in Snohomish and in 1899 went to the Klondike, spending four years in the mines of that country. He returned to Washington in 1903 and clerked for a year at Acme in a store owned by his uncle, Hugh McMillan. The year 1899 witnessed the arrival of George Hoffman in Snohomish, and for some time he conducted a restaurant at that place. In 1904 he came to Acme and joined his brother in purchasing the McMillan store, formerly owned by Al Brant, who acquired the business from Lawson Parker. The building was erected in 1901 by Mr. Parker, who established the second store in the town, and for a quarter of a century the business has been in continuous operation. The present owners are enterprising merchants and capable business men of high standing. Their stock includes groceries, dry goods and ready-to-wear garments and their patronage is drawn from a wide area. They have always maintained a high standard of service and their success is based upon strict observance of the Golden Rule.
In 1917 Angus Hoffman married Miss Mae L. Turkington, a native of Acme. she was born July 19, 1891, and her parents, William and Augusta Turkington, came to Whatcom county in the '80s, casting in their lot with its early settlers. The children of this union are: Wilma, Edgar and Jean, aged respectively seven, three and two years.
George Hoffman is a strong advocate of educational advancement and has served for three terms on the Acme school board, of which he is still a member. In 1907 he was married to Miss Minnie Frisk, who was born in Kansas in 1888. She is the daughters of K. J. and Christina Frisk, who was born in Kansas in 1888. She is a daughter of K. J. and Christina Frisk, natives of Sweden and pioneers in the settlement of Whatcom county. Mr. and Mrs. George Hoffman have become the parents of five children: Edwin, Harry, Mabel, Clara and Melvin James.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 776
One of the old pioneers of Whatcom county, who has borne his full share of the hardships, discomforts and privations of the early days and is now, after a life of successful effort, living in honorable retirement in Lynden, is Henry Hoffman, a highly respected citizen of this locality. Mr. Hoffman is a native of Germany, born in 1851, a son of Henry and Katrina Hoffman, both of whom died in their native land. Our subject received his educational training in the public schools of the fatherland, remaining at home until he was about twenty years of age, when, in 1871 he emigrated to the United States. He first stopped in Buffalo, New York, where he remained a few months, and then, in 1872, went to Kansas. He located at Dodge City, where he hunted buffalo, and in that occupation covered most of the buffalo country. There were then many Indians in that section and he had a number of fights with them.
In 1878, the buffalo being greatly diminished in numbers, Mr. Hoffman went to Colorado, where he was engaged in mining until 1883, in which year he came to Whatcom county, taking up a homestead near Delta. There were no roads near his land and he was compelled to pack in all his goods, though he used the old Diagonal road part of the way toward his tract. The land was heavily timbered and he applied himself vigorously to the task of clearing it, though during those first years he also worked out a good deal in order to earn ready money. He cleared over thirty acres of the land, which he maintained in a fine state of cultivation, and lived there until 1920, when he sold the place on contract, and he is now making his home with Frank Weidkamp, in Lynden. His farm comprises eighty acres and is, with its up-to-date improvements, considered a very desirable property. A man of quiet and unassuming manner, Mr. Hoffman nevertheless possesses those traits of character which commend a man to the good favor of his fellowmen, and he has long enjoyed an enviable standing throughout the community, where his character and fine public spirit are fully appreciated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 270-273
Hokland, Esten A.
Among the large element of foreign-born citizens who have cast their lot with the people of Whatcom county and who have won success through their industry and indomitable energy is Esten A. Hokland, one of the progressive farmers of Delta township. He comes of a splendid people, a race that has always stood for right living and industrious habits, education and morality, and in his own life he has exemplified the elements that make for good citizenship. Mr. Hokland is a native of Norway, his birth occurring on the 21st of March, 1880, and is a son of Arne and Pernelle Hokland, both of whom spent their entire lives in their native land, the mother dying in 1894 and the father in 1913. They were the parents of five children, namely: Esten A., Bendiks, Mariane, Bendikte, and Peter, who died in infancy.
Esten A. Hokland received his education in the public schools of his native land, and on leaving school he engaged in the fishing business, which vocation he followed until 1903, when he came to the United States. He came at once to Whatcom county and obtained employment in the sawmills here during the winter months, while in summer he worked for the Pacific American Fisheries Company, going with the salmon fishing fleet to Alaska. In 1911 Mr. Hokland bought forty acres of partly cleared land in Delta township, seven and a half miles southwest of Lynden. He gave his attention to the clearing of the tract and now has fourteen acres in cultivation, and he has met with very satisfactory success in the operation of this place. He keeps four good grade Guernsey cows, and in 1923 he engaged in the chicken business. He fancies the White Leghorn breed and now has eight hundred laying hens, his intention being to greatly increase his flock. Mr. Hokland built a fine hen house, twenty by one hundred and thirty feet in size, and a brooder house, twenty by fifty feet in size. In 1924 he built a fine home, comfortable and convenient in arrangement and attractive in appearance. He raises fine crops of hay and grain and has plenty of pasturage for his cattle.
Mr. Hokland was married, June 3, 1904, to Miss Hanna Edwards, who was born in Norway, a daughter of Edward and Andrea Mikelsen, both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of Norway, where they passed away. Of their ten children, seven are now living, namely: Markus, Hans, Iver, Mikel, Hanna, Jakobine and Elizabeth. To Mr. and Mrs. Hokland have been born three children, namely: Nellie, born June 13, 1907, now a high school student; Agnes, born October 4, 1910, also in high school; and Esther, born November 12, 1913, now in grammar school. Mr. Hokland is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He is a busy and industrious man, untiring in his efforts and practical in his methods. He lives near the Iverson sawmill and for several years has served as head sawyer there, in addition to managing his farm. Mrs. Hokland has proven a true helpmate to her husband, assisting and encouraging him in every possible way, and has been especially efficient in the care and handling of the chickens. Because of their earnest lives, splendid characters and kindly and hospitable dispositions, they are both deservedly popular throughout the community, being held in the highest esteem by all who know them.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 353-354
Hokland, Esten S.
A highly respected citizen of Delta township, who although an American by adoption only has had the interests of Whatcom county at heart ever since coming here, is Esten S. Hokland, a man who has won success in life because he has been persistent and has not permitted obstacles or hard work to thwart or discourage him. He came here without capital, but, liking the country and having faith in its future, he cast his lot with the people of this locality, and prosperity has crowned his well directed efforts. Mr. Hokland was born in Norway on the 21st of August 1890, and is a son of Sivertsen and Matilda Hokland, both of whom were born and spent their lives in that country. They were the parents of eleven children, namely: Petra, Sophie, Anna, Marsele, Esten, Alf, Magnus, Hilberg, Oscar, Peter and Anfen, of whom Alf and Anfen are deceased.
Esten S. Hokland attended the public schools of his native land and spent three years of his youth on his father's small farm, which he helped to cultivate in the summers, while in the winters he devoted himself to the fishing business, which is one of the principal industries of that locality. In April 1911, Mr. Hokland came to the United States, coming direct to Whatcom county and locating at Bellingham, where he lived for nine years. During the winter months he found employment in the sawmills of that locality, while in the summers he went to the Alaska fishing grounds. He was steady and industrious, carefully husbanding his resources, and in 1920 he bought forty acres of land in Delta township, seven miles southwest of Lynden. About an acre of the land was cleared and since he has had the land he has devoted his spare time to the clearing of the remainder, in which he has made good headway, and now has a splendid farm, in the operation of which he is meeting with well deserved prosperity. He keeps three good grade cows and his crops have been bounteous, so that he is comfortably situated and has a well improved and attractive homestead. The place had a very nice house on it when he took possession, and he has made other improvements, including the building of a garage in 1925.
Mr. Hokland was married January 18, 1915, to Miss Olga Mesford, who was born in Minnesota, a daughter of Hans and Jacobina Mesford, both of whom were born in Norway. The father came to the United States in 1881 and the mother two years later. They settled in Minnesota, where they remained but a short time, going from there to North Dakota, where they took up a homestead. They lived there until 1890, when they sold out and came to Kitsap county, Washington, where the father bought forty acres of land, to the cultivation of which he is now devoting himself, in addition to which he also conducts an insurance business. To him and his wife were born seven children, namely: Olga (Mrs. Hokland), James, deceased, Maurice, Ivan, Clarence, deceased, Grace and June. All of the living children are residents of the state of Washington. Mr. Hokland has shown himself to be a man of strong and alert mentality, deeply interested in everything pertaining to the advancement of the community along material lines, and today is recognized as one of the representative men of his locality, where he is held in high esteem because of his fine personality and his genial and friendly disposition.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 355-356
Joseph Hollingsworth, one of Deming's venerable citizens and honored pioneers, has made his own way in the world, receiving his training in the hard school of experience, and his life has been devoted to agricultural pursuits. A native of Ireland, he was born in 1845, and his parents, Samuel and Henrietta (Hopkins) Hollingsworth, both died when he was fifteen years of age. He has since depended upon his own resources for a livelihood, and when a young man he sought the opportunities of the United States. He spent four years in California and in August, 1885, arrived in Seattle, Washington. In October of the same year Mr. Hollingsworth came to Whatcom county and entered a homestead, securing a tract on which a portion of Deming now stands. He was one of the earliest settlers in this district and with courageous spirit entered upon the arduous task of hewing a farm out of the wilderness. He devoted much thought to his work, and his intelligently directed labors have been rewarded by abundant harvests. He has eight cows of pure-bred stock and owns one of the most valuable ranches in this part of the county, but the burden of its operation now rests upon younger shoulders.
In 1895 Mr. Hollingsworth was united in marriage to Miss Frances Belding, and Violet, their only child, is now the wife of Walter Harniger, a resident of McNeil's island. Mrs. Hollingsworth was reared and educated in Michigan and came to the Pacific coast early in the '90s. Her parents were Edmond and Lucy (Vedder) Belding, the latter a native of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Hollingsworth have four grandchildren: James, Mary, Paula and Josephine Harniger, in whom they renew their youth. Mr. Hollingsworth is a democrat but not a strong partisan, standing at all times for clean politics and for measures of reform and improvement. He served on the first school board formed in Deming, and the welfare and advancement of the community is to him a matter of vital importance. He has reached the ripe age of eighty-one years and is spending the sunset period of life in ease and comfort, surrounded by many sincere friends, who appreciate him at his true worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 594
Hollingsworth, O. R.
O. R. Hollingsworth, mortician, is successfully following in the footsteps of his father as relates to business, and although his residence in Bellingham covers less that four years he has already won a position of leadership in his chosen field of endeavor. He was born November 10, 1887, in Quinter, Gove county, Kansas, and is a son of W. W. and Mary Jane (Moon) Hollingsworth. His father opened undertaking parlors in Newberg, Oregon, in 1895 and is still a resident of that place.
O. R. Hollingsworth supplemented his public school education by attendance at the Pacific College in Oregon and was graduated with the class of 1908. In 1910 he became associated with his father in the undertaking business, and at the end of two years he decided to start out for himself, locating in Toledo, Oregon. He spent four years in that place and on the expiration of that period transferred his business to The Dalles, Oregon, where he lived until 1918. Coming to Washington, he was engaged in business at Seattle for two years and then moved to Port Angeles, where he lived for two and a half years. He arrived in Bellingham on the 1st of August, 1922, and purchased the Bingham undertaking business, which he has since conducted. It was started in 1887 and is one of the oldest in the city. The business is located at No. 120 Prospect street and occupies two floors of a brick building forty by one hundred and twenty feet in extent. The chapel contains seats for one hundred and fifty persons. Mr. Hollingsworth operates three sedans and one limousine type of hearse, and his equipment is unexcelled by any undertaker north of Seattle. He has a natural aptitude for the work and patrons of his establishment are provided with a high grade of service. His prices are moderate and the business has increased rapidly under his expert direction.
Mr. Hollingsworth is a prominent figure in fraternal affairs. He is president of the local aerie of Eagles, is a Scottish Rite Mason and has taken the fourteenth degree in the order, and is also connected with the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World, as well as the Lions and Country Clubs of Bellingham. In his political views he is a republican. He has made many friends since coming to the city and lends the weight of his support to all projects destined to prove of benefit to the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 124
An earnest and enterprising man whose depth of character has gained him a prominent place in the community and the respect and confidence of his fellow citizens, is Willie Holm, farmer and dairyman of Ferndale township. A man of decided views and laudable ambition, his influence has always been exerted for the advancement of the community in which he lives, and in the vocation to which he is applying his efforts he ranks high, his fellow citizens having long ago recognized in him a man of excellent character and sound ability as a farmer. Willie Holm was born in Minnesota on the 20th of November, 1887, and is a son of Otto and Eliza Holm, both of whom were born and reared in Sweden. Otto Holm emigrated to the United States in 1881, locating in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he lived for a number of years, being employed as a carpenter in a sash and door factory. In 1889 he came to Washington, locating first in Seattle, where he lived for about six months, and then came to Whatcom county and bought ten acres of land near Ferndale. The tract was densely covered with timber and underbrush, but he cleared this off and developed a good farm, on which he spent the remainder of his days, his death occurring January 18, 1921. His wife had passed away December 11, 1917. They were the parents of nine children: Emma, Ernest, Adolph, Fritz, Godfrey and Willie, and three who died in infancy.
Willie Holm attended the public schools at Ferndale, and he remained on the home farm with his father until his marriage, in 1915. He was then employed at farm labor until 1918, when he bought twenty-four acres of land, located about one and a half miles west of Ferndale. To clear this tract and get it in shape for cultivation demanded a good deal of hard labor, but eventually he found himself the possessor of a very desirable and valuable farm, to the operation of which he has devoted himself to the present time. He keeps good grade Holstein cattle and six hundred laying hens, and he has a nice bearing orchard and raises hay and grain. He has met with very gratifying success in the operation of his ranch, which is a very attractive place. Mr. Holm also has an unusually fine vegetable garden, from which he gathers a vast amount of marketable truck. He knows no such word as idleness, and he is justifiably proud of what he has accomplished since coming to Whatcom county.
On September 14, 1915, was consumated the marriage of Mr. Holm to Miss Hilda Swenson, who was born in North Dakota, a daughter of Charles and Cecelia Swenson, both of whom were natives of Sweden. Her father came to the United States in 1882 and located at Joliet, Illinois, where he lived for five years, and then went to North Dakota, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, to the cultivation of which he devoted his attention for a number of years. He then came to Tacoma, Washington, where he remained but a short time, going from there to Preston, where he was employed as a blacksmith for six years. In 1906 he came to Ferndale, Whatcom county, and bought twenty-five acres of land in Mountain View township, where he is now living. His wife died May 22, 1921. They became the parents of seven children, two of whom are living: Edd and Mrs. Holm. Mr. and Mrs. Holm have two children: Fred William, born June 30, 1916; and Alice, born May 13, 1923. Mr. Holm is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Association and take a good citizen's interest in everything relating in any way to the welfare of the community. He is a genial and companionable man, courteous and accommodating in his relations with his neighbors, and throughout the community where he lives he enjoys a high measure of confidence and esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 934-935
Holman, Lena M.
Lena M. Holman conducts an attractive millinery establishment at Bellingham as proprietress of the Tulip Hat Shop, which she opened in 1923. Her birth occurred in Chicago, Illinois, while her parents were born in Wisconsin. She spent her girlhood in her native city, where she acquired her education and when still very young began learning the millinery business with Gage Brothers & Company of Chicago, wholesale manufacturers and importers of millinery. She continued in the service of this concern for about eighteen years and was employed as designer for a number of years. During this period she also designed millinery for Taylor Brothers of Kansas City.
It was in January, 1923, that Miss Holman made her way westward to Whatcom county, Washington, and opened the Tulip Hat Shop at No. 209 West Holly street in Bellingham, where she has since developed a gratifying and profitable patronage. She displays the most advanced millinery modes at all times and is widely known as a woman of marked artistic sense and personal charm as well as excellent business ability.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 665
Holmquist, J. V.
Among the farmers of Whatcom county who believe in following twentieth century methods is J. V. Holmquist, well known and successful farmer at Judson Lake. He comes of a splendid people, one that has always been strong for right living and industrious habits, for education and morality and for all that contributes to the general welfare. Such people are welcomed in any community, for they are and always have been the basis for the highest accomplishments in all lines of effort. Mr. Holmquist is a native of faraway Finland, born on the 22d of May, 1876, and is a son of John and Maria Holmquist, both of whom also were born and reared in Finland. The father came to the United States in 1903, locating in Mount Vernon, Skagit county, where he bought thirty-two acres of land two and a half miles south of the town. It was heavily timbered land, but he set himself to the task of clearing it, in which he was successful, built a house and barn, and lived there until 1911, when, his wife having died, he came to live with his son, the subject of this sketch, at Clearbrook, where he is now residing. His wife's death occurred in October, 1908. They were the parents of ten children, namely: Ida M., deceased, J. Victor, E. Hugo, E. Wilhelmina, A. Georg, deceased, O. Ivar, deceased, M. Elizabeth, deceased, Daniel E. O., deceased, Einar J. and Maria E., deceased.
J. V. Holmquist secured a good education in the public and high schools of his native land and then went to work in a drug store at Karstula, which employment he followed for fourteen years. Finding that the business was impairing his health, he then gave up that vocation and came to the United States, landing here in October, 1905. He came to Mount Vernon, Skagit county, where he lived until 1909, helping his father clear the land which he had bought there. On July 4, 1909, he came to Whatcom county and settled on seventy acres of land at Judson Lake, which he had purchased that year, and a few acres of which had been logged off, the remainder being heavily timbered. He at once began the clearing of the land and in the course of time has developed a fine and productive farm here, where once stood a forbidding wilderness. He remodeled the house in 1911, built a fine barn in 1920 and has made a number of other valuable improvements, all of which have made this a most attractive and desirable homestead. About forty acres are cleared and in cultivation, the remainder being devoted to pasturage. He also leases sixty acres of school land, and in 1915 he bought eighty acres of land across the boundary in British Columbia, of which he has cleared five acres. He carries on general farming, raising all the crops common to this locality - hay, oats, peas, beans and potatoes being his main crops. He gives considerable attention to dairying, keeping fifteen good grade Holstein cows, fifteen head of young stock and a fine registered sire.
Mr. Holmquist was married June 14, 1901, to Miss Cecilia Oikari, who was born in Finland, a daughter of Elias and Wilhelmina Oikari, both of whom were born and lived in Finland, where the mother died in 1890. They were the parents of nine children: Edith Maria, Eva J., Cecilia, Albert, Emil, Johannes, Tyyne, Aino and Abraham. Mr. and Mrs. Holmquist are the parents of seven children, namely: Elise M., Leo J., deceased; Anton A., and Anna W., who were graduated from high school with the class of '26; Ruth C., who is attending the Nooksack high school; Eva I., deceased; and Ivar V. W.; who also is in school. Mr. Holmquist is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, the Whatcom County Farm Bureau, and the W. C. D. B. S. The splendid success which has come to him has been the direct result of the salient points in his character. With a mind capable of formulating well formed plans, he has had a will strong enough to execute them properly, his indomitable energy, keen foresight and sound judgment resulting in the accumulation of a comfortable competency. He is recognized as a man of alert mentality, deeply interested in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community along material, civic and moral lines, and is widely known as one of the progressive and enterprising residents of his locality. He is a genial and companionable man and throughout this community holds an enviable place in popular esteem and confidence.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 769-770
In touching upon the life history of John Holtrop, well known farmer of Delta township, Whatcom county, it is desired to avoid fulsome and extravagant praise; yet it is purposed to hold up for consideration those facts which have shown the distinction of a true, useful and honorable life - a life characterized by perseverance, energy, broad charity and well defined purpose. To do this will be but to repeat the estimate of the man given by the people who have known him long and well. John Holtrop was born in Holland on the 10th of April, 1863, and is a son of Ralph and Tressie (Van Loo) Holtrop, both of whom were also natives of Holland, where they passed away, the father dying in 1905 and the mother in 1920.
John Holtrop received his education in the public schools of his native land and was engaged in farming there until the spring of 1898, when he came to the United States. He came direct to Whatcom county and bought forty acres of land in Delta township, five and a half miles northwest of Lynden, about half of which was cleared and on which was a house and barn. He finished clearing the land and has devoted himself indefatigably to the cultivation of the soil, in which he has met with very gratifying success. He also gives considerable attention to dairying, keeping seventeen good Holstein cows and a pure-bred bull. He is wide-awake and alert, neglecting nothing that would contribute to the success of his work, and he has gained a high reputation as an enterprising and progressive farmer. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association, his interest in the last named organization arising from the fact that he carries a large run of laying hens, for which he has erected a fine chicken house. Other improvements on the place consist of a milk house and a substantial garage, and the house that was on the place when he bought it has been thoroughly remodeled and is now a very comfortable and attractive home. He and his family are members of the Dutch Reformed church at Lynden, to which they give generous support, as they do to all worthy benevolent and charitable objects.
On November 15, 1888, Mr. holtrop was married to Miss Fronwje Bosma, who was born in Ondwonde, Friesland, Holland, a daughter of Haring and Grietje (Visser) Bosma, both of whom were lifelong residents of that county, where they passed away. To Mr. and Mrs. Holtrop have been born nine children, all of whom excepting the youngest were born in Holland. They are: Harry B., who was born september 23, 1889, is married and has three children, Floyd, John and Joseph; Mrs. Grietje Dykeman, born April 1, 1891, who is the mother of five children - Herman, born October 22, 1915; Florence, born March 9, 1917; John, born April 16, 1920; Fred, born January 16, 1923; and Dick, born September 12, 1924; Ralph, who is the next of the family and was born July 29, 1894; Egbert, born in December, 1897; Mrs. Trientje Schluk, who was born November 4, 1901, and is the mother of a daughter, Dora Joyce; Ernest, born June 1, 1904; Garret, born May 30, 1906; Willie, born April 24, 1908; and George W., born July 17, 1910, in Lynden, Whatcom county. Mr. Holtrop is a broadminded and public-spirited citizen, giving earnest support to every movement for the advancement of the community along material, civic or moral lines. Kindly and genial in manner, he has formed a wide acquaintance throughout this part of the county and is held in the highest esteem in his community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 151-152
Herman Holz, who has long been considered one to the leading dairy and poultry farmers in Ten Mile township, was not favored by inherited wealth or the assistance of influential friends, but in spite of this, by persevering industry and the exercise of sound judgment, has attained a comfortable station in life, while at the same time he has made his influence felt for the good of his community. He is a native of Germany, born in 1870, and is a son of William and Matilda Holz, the former dying in his native land, while the mother is still living there.
Herman Holz received his education in the public schools of his home neighborhood and then worked as a farm hand until about eighteen years of age, when, desiring a larger and better field for individual advancement, he emigrated to the United states, locating in Wisconsin, where he obtained employment in a carriage shop. He held that position six years and then went to Indiana, where he spent three years as a carpenter and cabinet worker. In 1896 Mr. Holz came to Washington, locating in King county, where he followed his trade for sixteen years, and in 1910 he bought and moved onto his present place, which comprises about one hundred acres. When he acquired the land only about four acres of it wa cleared, but by untiring labor he has cleared between sixty-five and seventy acres. He has erected substantial and well arranged farm buildings and made many other important improvements on the ranch. He keeps fourteen cows and about one thousand laying hens, from both of which sources he derives a comfortable income. His fine, fertile fields produce abundant crops of hay and grain and he also raises enough corn for ensilage purposes. About twenty-three acres of his land is tile drained and mr. Holz neglects nothing that should be done in the way of farm work.
In 1898 Mr. Holz was married to Miss Sarah Ernst, a native of Richardson county, Nebraska, and a daughter of Christian and Emma (Beeseiker) Ernst. The father, who was born in Germany, crossed the Atlantic to America when a youth of sixteen years and became a farmer of Nebraska. Subsequently he removed to Kansas, in which state he spent the remainder of his life, passing away in Osborne county. The mother, Mrs. Emma Ernst, who birth occurred in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, resides in Seattle, Washington, with her children. Mrs. Sarah Holz came to Washington at the time of the great Seattle fire. By her marriage she has become the mother of twelve children, namely: William, of Bellingham, who is married and has two children; Frederick, who is manager of the dairy department of the state hospital at Sedro Woolley; Benjamin, who lives on the Axton road, is married and has two sons; Wallace, who remains at home; Mrs. Dorothy Parker, who resides at Ten Mile and is the mother of one child; Albert, Oswald, Walter, Helen, Emma, Leslie and Donald. Frederick, Dorothy and Wallace Holz are high school graduates, and the first named spent one year as a student in the State College of Washington at Pullman.
Mr. Holz has long been a member of the Grange warehouse and earnestly supports all other enterprises for the benefit of the farmers. He did considerable free road work for a number of years and has always been ready to cooperate with his neighbors in any direction for the advantage and welfare of the general public. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He is a man of broad views, sound business judgment and energetic habits who does will whatever he undertakes, and his career here has been such as has gained for him the unbounded confidence and esteem of the entire community in which he lives.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 724-725