Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led at Genealogy Trails History Group


Whatcom County
Washington
Genealogy and History


Biographies

 

Hon-How

 


Hong, Phillip

    Among the citizens of Whatcom county who have, by virtue of their strong individual qualities, made their way to high standing among their fellow citizens, in Phillip Hong, a successful farmer of Ferndale township, where the family has for a number of years been well and favorably known. He was born in Minnesota on the 22d of March, 1899, and is a son of P. K. and Ranghild (Glosimodt) Hong, both of whom were natives of Norway. P. K. Hong came to the United States in 1872, locating in Minnesota, where he took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, being one of the pioneer settlers in his community. He cleared his land, created a fine home and continued to live there until 1910, when he came to Whatcom county and bought fifty-five acres near Ferndale, all of which, excepting about ten acres was cleared. It is now all cleared and here Mr. Hong, by indomitable energy and persevering industry, developed one of the best farms in his locality. Three acres were planted to orchard and on the place there are twelve good milk cows and a pure-bred Guernsey bull. The land is devoted to diverse farming and gives bountiful returns for the labor bestowed upon it. He is also the owner of eleven acres of land on the Nooksack river, a half mile north of Ferndale, and there he is now living, being practically retired from active affairs. In 1921 he leased the land to his son Phillip, who is now operating it with skill and good judgment, the results of his efforts stamping him as a thoughtful, up-to-date and enterprising farmer. To P. K. and Ranghild Hong were born seven children, namely: Knut, Christine, Ben, Melvin, Phillip, Theodore and Pearl. Christine is the wife of Peter Petersen and they have four children.

    Philip Hong received his education in the public schools of Minnesota and Ferndale, having been eleven years of age when the family came to Whatcom county. He lived on the home farm continuously since coming here and, as stated above, has leased the homestead from his father and is now successfully farming it. He is a member of the Dairymen's Association of Whatcom County and takes a commendable interest in everything pertaining to the agricultural or dairying interests of the community. He is quiet and unassuming man, but possesses a genial and social nature, having won a host of warm friends throughout the community where he lives, and makes a good impression on all with whom he come in contact.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 581-582


Hood, John A.

    John A. Hood, of the Union Iron Works of Bellingham, a manufacturer of long established connection with the industrial affairs of that city, having engaged in his present line for the past twenty-five years, is a native of the Dominion of Canada, born in Ontario, October 27, 1874, and is a son of Finley and Jane (McKay) Hood, the latter of whom was born in Ontario and both of whom died there. The father, a native of Scotland, was a machinist during the earlier years of his active life and later became a farmer in the neighborhood of Ontario.

    It was thus that John A. Hood grew up on a farm, familiar with the detail of land development, and when he went to British Columbia in 1899, he engaged in farming there. A year later, however, he abandoned that plan and went to Westminster, where he was employed in an iron foundry and became thoroughly acquainted with foundry operations. Coming to Bellingham, he was placed in charge of the Letson & Burpee foundry. In 1907 Mr. Hood, in association with John C. Borchard and Frank and Edward McParland, became engaged in the foundry business on his own account in Bellingham, he and his partners in September of that year opening an iron foundry on Grant street, which has been developed into the present extensive plant of the Union Iron Works and with which concern Mr. Hood is still connected, one of the best known iron manufacturers in this section of the state.

    On October 19, 1904, at Port Elgin, Mr. Hood was united in marriage to Miss Bethea Struthers, who also was born in Ontario, and they have three sons, John Struthers, James Finley and George Douglas. Mr. and Mrs. Hood are members of the Presbyterian church and have ever taken an active part in church work and in the general social affairs of the city. He is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In his political views he is inclined to side with the "independents" on general local issues.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 570


Hood, Paul

    Paul Hood, of the mercantile firm of Hood & Snortland, proprietors of the Ferndale Pharmacy, has been a resident of Whatcom county for more than twenty years and is one of the best established merchants in Ferndale, to which place he moved in 1909, moving there from Bellingham, where for some years prior he had been employed in the drug trade. Mr. Hood is an older brother of Percy Hood, president of the Ferndale State Bank, concerning whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work. Born in the vicinity of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1884, son of the Rev. S. M. and Mary (Marshall) Hood, Paul Hood was but a child when his parents moved with their family to Kansas and in this latter state he grew to manhood and became a competent pharmacist. In 1905, the year in which he attained his majority, he came to Whatcom county and at Bellingham was employed as pharmacist in the store of the Graham Drug Company. In 1909 he bought the Ferndale Pharmacy, which had been established by A. P. Long in 1903 and which is the oldest drug store in that place, and has since been carrying on in that line, with Oscar Snortland as a partner since 1921. Mr. Hood is a republican, interested in local civic affairs and has rendered public service as a member of the Ferndale town council.

    In 1912, at Ferndale, Mr. Hood was united in marriage to Miss Antionette McLain and they have a son, Paul Hood, Jr., born July 27, 1916. Mrs. Hood is a daughter of Miner and Dena (Antionette) McLain, the former of whom, now living retired, was for about twenty years the postmaster at Ferndale. Mr. Hood is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and he and his wife are interested and helpful participants in the general social activities of their home town, giving proper attention to all movements and measures having to do with the general advancement of the interests of the community of which they are so firmly established a part.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 217-218


Hood, Percy

    There is no one element which has a greater effect in upholding the financial stability of a community than has a well organized and conservatively conducted bank, and of such an institution Percy Hood is the executive head, ably directing the operations of the First National Bank of Ferndale. A native of Pennsylvania, he was born July 18, 1883, and during his childhood his parents, Rev. S. M. and Mary (Marshall) Hood, moved to Kansas. He attended the public schools of the Sunflower state and his higher education was received in the Wesleyan University at Salina, Kansas, from which he was graduated in 1904. Coming to Washington, he obtained work in a shingle mill at Ferndale and since 1908 has been identified in an official capacity with the institution which he now controls. It was founded December 14, 1904, as the Ferndale State Bank, which started business with a capital stock of ten thousand dollars and was housed in a building erected for this purpose. Charles Cissna was the first president and H. E. Campbell became cashier. In 1906 Mr. Cissna sold his stock to Mr. Campbell, who succeeded him in the office of president, and Percy Hood subsequently assumed the duties of cashier. Mr. Campbell remained the largest shareholder in the bank until December 1, 1919, when Mr. Hood purchased the controlling interest in the institution, converting it into the First National Bank, of which he has since been president, while E. R. Campbell acts as cashier. The  capitalization was increased to thirty thousand dollars.

    In 1908 the bank moved to its present home, a substantial brick structure two stories in height and well adapted to its needs. The building is fireproof and thoroughly modern, containing the complete equipment of the modern bank. The institution maintains both savings and checking departments and renders to its patrons service of high quality. In 1908 the bank had deposits of about forty-four thousand dollars, and it now has more than fifteen hundred depositors. There is a surplus of seven thousand dollars and the deposits amount to five hundred and thirty thousand dollars. The steady growth of the bank is due to the wisdom of the policy adopted by Mr. Hood, who is a capable executive and an astute financier as well as a shrewd judge of human nature.    

    On January 11, 1905, Mr. Hood was united in marriage to Miss Grace Haines, of Nortonville, Kansas, and they have three children: Harriet Haines, Lois J. and Jack C. Mr. Hood is a member of the Old Settlers Association, of which he is treasurer. His influence is always on the side of progress and improvement and his life record is written in terms of honor and success. 

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 470


Hoopes, William S.

    William S. Hoopes, sales manager for the Morse Hardware Company and widely known in commercial circles throughout the northwest, has been a resident of Bellingham for more than twenty years and is thoroughly conversant with conditions as related to the fine trade area centering here. He was born in the village of Vermont, Fulton county, Illinois, June 17, 1873, and is a son of S. F. and Mary J. Hoopes, who in 1883 moved with their family from Illinois to Kansas and later to California, in which state they now are living retired, residents of Santa Cruz.

    William S. Hoopes was ten years of age when he went with his parents from Illinois to Kansas and his education was finished in the high school at Stafford in the latter state. As a young man he went to Colorado and was there engaged in activities connected with the mines until 1903, when he came to Bellingham and as buyer entered the wholesale establishment of the Morse Hardware Company, with which concern he ever since has been connected, being sales manager since 1922.

    In 1903, they year in which he became established in Bellingham, Mr. Hoopes was united in marriage to Miss Helen B. Husted of Sacramento, California, and they now have a pleasant home here. They are republicans and take an interested part in local civic affairs as well as in the general communal activities of the place in which they have for more than twenty years had their home, being helpful participants in all proper movements having to do with the advancement of the common welfare. Mr. Hoopes is a member of the Kiwanis Club, whose motto is "We Build," and is a firm adherent of the principles on which that motto is based. He is a veteran member of the United Commercial Travelers, is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and is also a Noble of the Mystic Shrine, having been affiliated with the Masonic order for many years, being at all times a loyal and exemplary representative of the fraternity.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 436


Horst, Charles A.

    Charles A. Horst, a resident of Bellingham since 1889 and one of the pioneer business men of the city is now, in association with his son, Fred F. Horst, engaged in the automobile accessory business at the corner of Elk and Magnolia streets, under the name of Horst's Service Station, Incorporated. He is a native of the Badger state but has been a resident of the Evergreen state since the days of his young manhood and there are few here who have a better acquaintance with the varying conditions that have brought about the development which has marked this region during the past thirty-five years and more. Mr. Horst was born in the village of Buffalo, on the Mississippi river, in Buffalo county, Wisconsin, September 4, 1858, and is a son of Ferdinand and Katherine Horst, who had come to this county from Germany with a company of German colonists and had proceeded up the river from Cincinnati to St. Paul, from which point they returned down the river to the Buffalo settlement and there established their home. Ferdinand Horst was an expert machinist, having learned his trade in the great Krupp works in Germany, and was a valued factor in the new settlement in Wisconsin. He helped to set up sawmills and the like and among the mills he built were those operated by his brothers-in-law, Adolph Beucker and Fred Laue. For some time the Horst family lived on a farm in Buffalo county and then moved to Independence in the neighboring county of Trempealeau, where they had a hardware store, and thee they remained until 1889, when they came to Washington, Ferdinand Horst and his wife settling in Tacoma, where they spent the remainder of their lives.

    Reared in Wisconsin, Charles A. Horst was educated in the schools of Buffalo and Trempealeau counties and became a saddler and harness maker and in time opened a saddlery at Independence. Later for three years, in association with E. W. Williams, he engaged in the wholesale shoe business. When in 1889 the family came to Washington he closed out his affairs in Wisconsin and in October of that year came to the Bay country. In partnership with Edward Lindsey he engaged in the saddlery and harness business in the Sehome section of the present city of Bellingham, the firm doing business as the Pacific Harness Company. That was the year following the formal incorporation of Sehome and two years prior to that town's consolidation with the rival settlement under the name of New Whatcom, which ten years later was simplified by the dropping of the "New" and which in 1903 by a majority vote of the citizens became Bellingham, so that Mr. Horst, though a continuous resident of the place has, in succession, been a resident of four towns. For three years Mr. Horst continued in the saddlery line and then sold out and became a letter carrier, one of the first postmen on the staff of the local post office. Presently he was attached to the office force of the post office for three years or more, at the end of which time he engaged in the real estate and insurance business, thus continuing until 1918, when, in association with his son, Fred F. Horst, he turned his attention to his present line, the Horst Service Station having been incorporated in that year. In addition to a general service business this station handles a full line of tires and automobile accessories, oil and gasoline, and on its advantageous corner has become a fixed "landmark" of the town, one of the most popular service stations in this section of the state. Mr. Horst is a republican, has ever give a good citizen's attention to local civic affairs and for some time rendered public service as a member of the common council of the city of Bellingham, for two terms.

    In 1892, at Chaseburg, Wisconsin, Mr. Horst was united in marriage to Miss Laura Laue, who was born at Alma, Buffalo county, Wisconsin, daughter of Fred Laue, and they have two children, Althea and Fred F., his father's partner and also proprietor of a drug store in Bellingham. Miss Althea Horst married H. T. Raymond, a singer of more than local note. Mrs. Raymond is an accomplished musician and is a professional teacher of music, with particular reference to the piano and organ, and has long been a favorite in local musical circles.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 428-429


Hovander, Hugo H.

    Though of European birth, Hugo H. Hovander, of the mercantile firm of Hovander & Olson of Bellingham and one of the best known merchants in that city, has been a resident of the country since the days of his boyhood, and of Whatcom county for nearly thirty years. He was born in the city of Stockholm, Sweden, July 11, 1880, and is a son of H. O. and Leontine Louisa (Leaf) Hovander, the latter still living on the Hovander homestead in the Ferndale neighborhood in this county, where she has resided for many years and where she is very pleasantly and comfortably situated. The late H. O. Hovander, who died July 29, 1915, and concerning whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work, together with much interesting information regarding the Hovander family in this county, established his home in Whatcom county in 1898, buying a tract of land in the vicinity of Ferndale, where he developed a good farm and spent the remainder of his life, one of the substantial pioneer farmers of that neighborhood. Besides his widow he is survived by seven children and the family is well established in this county.

    Hugo H. Hovander's first trip to the United States was made when he was a young land of six and among his earliest conscious recollections are those bearing upon that voyage across the water and the longer journey across the American continent with his parents and other members of the family into California. That was in 1886 and his Americanization properly thus may date from that year. After two years in Los Angeles the Hovanders returned to Sweden, but ten years later, in 1896, came again to America and settled in Seattle, from which city in 1898, they came to Whatcom county, settling on the farm near Ferndale. By this time Hugo Hovander was eighteen years of age and he became an active factor in the labors of improving and developing that new farm, remaining thereon until 1906, when he became a clerk in one of the Bellingham stores. In 1912 he engaged in the business on his own account, opening a grocery store at 1311 Elk street where he has since continued, doing very well. In 1913 Felix Olson bought a half interest in this store and the business has since been carried on under the firm name of Hovander & Olson. This store occupies a room with a thirty-foot front, running back one hundred and twenty feet, and is fully stocked and admirably appointed, to take care of all demands made upon it by its large and constantly growing list of customers, being one of the leading grocery stores in the city.

    On August 20, 1914, in Bellingham, Mr. Hovander was united in marriage to Miss Wylie Alta Sheppard and they have three children, George and Carl and LeElla. Mr. and Mrs. Hovander are republicans and support all progressive civic affairs. He is a member of the Masonic order and is also affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. As one of the veteran merchants of the city he gives his interested and helpful attention to all movements having to do with the general advancement of the community and has long been recognized as one of the progressive and public-spirited business men of this county.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 426-427


Hovander, Hakan O.

    The memory of the late H. O. Hovander, whose death occurred July 20, 1915, is revered by a host of friends and acquaintances among whom he labored, for in all the relations of life he proved signally true to to every trust. He was known as a true friend, a good farmer and a careful and able business man and one whose integrity of purpose was beyond question. He was born at Malma, Sweden, on the 6th of December, 1841, and was a son of Olaf Oleson and Elna (Person) Hovander, both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of that country.

    H. O. Hovander was educated in the public schools of his native land and when twenty-one years of age came to the United States, locating first in Chicago, Illinois, where he obtained employment as a bricklayer, helping to rebuild the city after the big fire of 1871. He then returned to his native land, where he remained a few years, after which he again came to this country, a short time later returning to Sweden a second time. He was married there in 1879 and located in Stockholm, where he became an architect contractor and builder. In 1886 he brought his family to the United States and located at Los Angeles, California, remaining there two years, at the end of that time returning once more to Sweden, where he lived until 1896. In the hope of regaining his failing health he then went to Auckland, New Zealand, where he remained about six months, after which he came to the United States and located in Seattle, Washington, where he lived about a year. He then came to Ferndale, Whatcom county, and bought one hundred acres of land. This land he cleared and put under cultivation, creating a splendid homestead, and here he spent the remainder of his days, meeting with success in his operations and gaining a high place in the esteem and regard of all who knew him. In connection with his farming activities he also conducted a dairy, keeping about thirty head of cattle, and he likewise had about three hundred chickens. In 1898 he built a comfortable and attractive residence and made many other good improvements. In addition to the raising of hay and grain he gave considerable attention to the raising of sugar beets, for which his soil was well adapted, it being rich bottom land. He was essentially a man of affairs, sound of judgment and farseeing in what he undertook, possessing concentration of purpose and energy. To these qualities were added scrupulous integrity and uprightness in all his dealings. He was kindly and generous in his relations with others and possessed excellent traits of character, and his memory is an honored one.

    Mr. Hovander was married in 1879 to Miss Leontine Louisa Leaf, a native of Sweden and a daughter of Golian and Louise (Larson) Leaf, both also natives of Sweden, where they spent their entire lives. Mr. and Mrs. Hovander became the parents of seven children: Hugo, who was born in Stockholm, Sweden, July 11, 1880, now lives in Bellingham, Whatcom county. He is married and has three children, George, Karl and Le Ella. Mrs. Elsa Stromee, born in Stockholm, Sweden, July 10, 1882, is the mother of a daughter, Eloise, born September 2, 1918. Otis, born in Stockholm, July 21, 1884, now lives at home with his  mother, and he is a member of the Knights of Pythias at Ferndale. Angelo, born in Stockholm, August 21, 1889, is married and has a son, Harland, born December 22, 1922. Charlie, born in Stockholm, May 23, 1893, lives at home. During the World war he served overseas with the American forces and is now a member of the American Legion. Mrs. Ada Juvet, who was born at Malma, Sweden, is the mother of a daughter, Lorraine, born February 24, 1924. Vera, born in Ferndale, July 22, 1899, holds a splendid position in Bellingham. Mrs. Hovander is a member of the county Grange. Her two sons, Otis and Charlie, are now operating the ranch and are ably carrying forward the work so well inaugurated by their father. They are good business men and are energetic and progressive in their methods.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 158-159


Hovel, George

    One of the leading farmers of the Sumas valley is George Hovel, who has gained not only material prosperity but also a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens. His valuable property has been acquired through his own efforts - his persistency of purpose, determination and indomitable industry - and he is eminently deserving of the success that has crowned his efforts. Mr. Hovel was born in Duesseldorf, Germany, on the 2nd of February, 1848, and is a son of John and Dora Hovel, the latter of whom died in her native land. The father, who was born in 1819, died in Wisconsin in 1900. He came to the United States in 1860, settling in Wisconsin, where he bought a farm, which he operated for many years, but he finally retired and moved to Buffalo City, that state, where he spent his remaining years. To him and his wife was born one child, the subject of this sketch.

    George Hovel was educated in Germany and in the public schools of Wisconsin. He remained with his father until 1888, when he came to Seattle, Washington, and went to work for the Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad, helping to construct that line. He followed railroading for nineteen years and then came to a small ranch which he had purchased near Sumas, Whatcom county. Later he added twenty acres and then fifteen acres, so that he is now the owner of forty-five acres of good, fertile land. When he bought it, the land was covered with timber and brush and a vast amount of work was required to get it ready for cultivation. About forty acres are now cleared and under the plow. He gives special attention to dairying, keeping ten to twelve good grade milk cows, for the feeding of which he raises good crops of hay. Mr. Hovel built a good house on the place and built a substantial barn some time later. He has been an industrious and steady worker and keeps his farm in good shape, it being a well improved and very attractive property.

    In 1869 Mr. Hovel was married to Miss Mary Hiller, who was born in Wisconsin, and whose death occurred in 1879. to this union were born four sons, John Henry, Andrew, Joseph and Mathias, the first two of whom are deceased. In 1881 Mr. Hovel was married to Miss Elizabeth Mahlmann, who was born in Buffalo county, Wisconsin, and whose death occurred July 30, 1924. To them were born eight children, namely: Mrs. Rosie Morrison, who lives in Ferndale, Whatcom county, and is the mother of four sons, Percy, Mortimer, George and Leonard; George; Harvy; Mrs. Mary Baxter; Elmer; Harley, who is a veteran of the World war, having served with the Ninety-first Division; Mrs. Josephine Wells, who is the mother of three children, Delois, Rowena and Lorene; and Annie, who remains at home. Mr. Hovel has lived a long and useful life, discharging his duties of citizenship in a manner that has earned the commendation of his fellow citizens, and he has well earned the high place which he holds in their confidence and good will.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 199-200


Howem, Lars

    Lars Howem is an influential member of the Scandinavian colony of Lawrence township and one of its prosperous agriculturists. He was born September 16, 1858, and is a native of Norway. He crossed the Atlantic in 1895, arriving in the United States on the 1st of June, and at once started for Whatcom county, in which his brother Ole had settled in 1882. The latter entered a homestead in Lawrence township, which was then a wilderness, and wildcats, bears, deer and other animals roamed through the dense forests. The subject of this review lived with his brother until the latter's demise in 1920, aiding him in the operation of the homestead, of which he has since had charge. He has cleared the tract and now has eighty acres of fertile land. He has a good home and is constantly improving the place, which presents a neat and attractive appearance. He has made a close study of agricultural science and utilizes the most effective methods in the cultivation of the soil.

    In 1894 Mr. Howem was married, in Norway, to Miss Carrie Olson, a native of that country, and five children were born to them namely: Martha, who is the wife of Israel Putnam, of Bellingham, and the mother of two daughters, Eunice and Gertrude; Sigurd, who assists his father in the conduct of the farm; Gertrude, a teacher of music and a resident of Bellingham; Gunhild, the wife of Frank Hatley, who is engaged in teaching at Deming and has a son, Lowell; and Johanna, a high school student.

    The family are Lutherans in religious faith and Mr. Howem exercises his right of  franchise in support of the candidates and measures of the republican party. He served for one term on the school board and his support can always be counted upon to further projects for the general good. His son Sigurd belongs to the Whatcom County Poultry Raisers Association and he is a member of the Dairymen's Associating. Mr. Howem is deeply attached to the country of his adoption and a wide circle of loyal friends is indicative of his personal popularity.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 259-260


Howard, Clinton Woodbury

    For thirty-six years a member of the Bellingham bar, Clinton Woodbury Howard enjoys the distinction of being the city's oldest practicing attorney and ably upholds the dignity and honor of his profession. He has filled public offices of trust and responsibility and is also prominently identified with business affairs. He was born July 25, 1864, in Lima, Ohio, and his parents De Witt Clinton and Christiana (Rankin) Howard, were also natives of that state. His father was a clergyman of the Episcopal church and his influence was a strong factor for good in the communities in which he labored.

    In 1885 Clinton W. Howard completed a course in Griswold College at Davenport, Iowa, and then entered the law department of the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated in 1887. After his admission to the bar he located at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and there followed his profession until October, 1889. He then came to Washington and since November 1, 1889, has practiced in Bellingham with much success. Nature endowed him with a keen intellect, and his analytical powers and careful preparation of his cases have brought him a large and lucrative clientele. He was city attorney of Fairhaven in 1891 and in 1892-93 was assistant county attorney, while during 1912-13 he served as United States District Judge of the Western district of Washington, ably administering the affairs of that tribunal. Judge Howard is much interested in development work and was one of the three organizers of the Bellingham Coal Mines, of which he is a trustee. He is performing a similar service for the Bellingham Bay Improvement Company and the Bellingham Securities Syndicate, Inc. He  has faithfully discharged every duty, and his standing in the community is indicated by his selection for these important positions.

    On December 17, 1902, Judge Howard was united in marriage to Miss Beth McCord, a daughter of R. P. McCord, of Madison county, Kentucky. Judge Howard belongs to the Country and Cougar Clubs of Bellingham and is a charter member of the Fairhaven lodge of Masons. He is identified with the commandery and has taken the thirty-second degree in the order. He has crossed the hot sands of the desert with the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine and is also a charter member of the local lodge of Elks, and he has been master of the Masonic lodge. He is also a member of the Rainier Club of Seattle and was the first secretary of the Cascade Club of Fairhaven. His professional affiliations are with the Whatcom County, Washington State and American Bar Associations, and during 1910-11 he served as president of the State Bar Association. He is an adherent of the republican party and one of the progressive members of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce. Judge Howard stands for everything that is truly American in citizenship, strongly opposing the menace of Bolshevism, and his professional colleagues and the general public unite in bearing testimony to his high character and genuine worth.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 489-490


 

 BACK-- HOME

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site
©Genealogy Trails