Hubbard, Earl F.
Earl F. Hubbard, a young man of exceptional ability and sagacity, is successfully managing the interests of the Bellingham Implement Company and worthily sustains the traditions of a family whose members for four successive generations have devoted their energies to his line of business. He was born May 12, 1895, in Medford, Oregon, and is a son of Fort and Theresa (McKee) Hubbard. The latter was also born in that state, to which her father, John McKee, journeyed from Missouri in 1852, enduring all of the hardships of frontier life. Fort Hubbard, Jr., was a native of Iowa and migrated to Oregon in 1882, establishing a farm implement business. He was a son of Fort Hubbard, Sr., who was one of Iowa's pioneer dealers in farm implements. His father was the New York agent for the John Deere implements in 1837, when this well known inventor made his first plows, which were produced in a blacksmith shop, and the Hubbard family enjoys the distinction of being the oldest in the United States to engage continuously in this business.
Earl F. Hubbard received his higher education in the Oregon Agricultural College and his business training was acquired under the expert guidance of his father. For eighteen months he was a member of the Oregon National Guard, enlisting the day after the United States declared war against Germany, but was not called upon for overseas service. In July, 1919, he entered the employ of the Walla Walla Implement Company of Washington and was later appointed manager of the business in that city. Since February, 1923, he has been manager of the Bellingham Implement Company, which was incorporated March 15, 1921, with Robert Lord as the first president. He was succeeded January 15, 1925, by Benjamin C. Keitor, and Edward Jones acts as treasurer, while Mr. Hubbard is filling the office of secretary in addition to his managerial duties. His detailed knowledge of the business is supplemented by mature judgment and executive ability of a high order, and he has succeeded in keeping the company not only in line with but also in the lead of it competitors. The business was first situated at No. 100 Grand avenue and on February 15, 1925, was moved to its new home at No. 1217 Railroad avenue. The building is fifty-five by one hundred and ten feet in dimensions and two stories in height. The firm handles the John Deere line of farm implements and has the exclusive agency for Whatcom county, Orcas island and Linit island. It also deals in seeds, harness and supplies for poultry raisers, dairymen and apiarists. The company carries the most complete stock in the county and its trade covers a wide area. Three salesmen are employed in the establishment, and the success of the house has been founded upon straightforward dealing and high ideals of service. The business means much to the farming community and is essential to the development of this district.
In 1914 Mr. Hubbard was married to Miss Marie Norman, a daughter of Wylie Norman, a well known poultryman of Medford, Oregon and to this union have been born three children: Marguerite, Wayne and Robert. Mr. Hubbard is a Royal Arch Mason and is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He belongs to the Rotary Club and his political allegiance is give to the republican party. Although still a young man, he has advanced far on the highroad which leads to success, and a large circle of loyal friends attests his personal popularity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 697-698
Humes, Edmond T.
Edmond T. Humes, a veteran of the World war, is now engaged in the drug business and is rapidly coming to the front in mercantile circles of Ferndale. He was born August 25, 1891, in Seattle, Washington, and his parents, Thomas J. and Alma E. (Roberts) Humes, were natives of Indiana. The father was a talented lawyer and in 1882 established his home in Seattle. His legal acumen and well known probity led to his elevation to the bench and for eight years he was judge of the superior court of Seattle. He dispensed justice with an even hand, proving a natural arbiter of human differences, and also made a fine record as mayor of the city, an office with he filled for eight years. While a resident of Alaska he was made district judge, and his demise occurred in the country in 1904. He was a distinguished representative of his profession. The mother long survived him, passing away in 1921.
Edmond T. Humes attended the public schools of Seattle and in 1907 took up the study of pharmacy. He was employed in various drug stores, and in June, 1917, he entered the service of his country, joining the Eighteenth Engineers. He went overseas with the American Expeditionary Force and was made sergeant of his company. He remained abroad for two years and was wounded while at the front. He spent five months in a hospital and in June, 1919, received his honorable discharge. Returning to his home, he obtained a position as a drug clerk and later continued his pharmaceutical studies. graduating from the University of Washington in March, 1924. Hen then came to Ferndale and on September 22, 1924, opened a drug store in partnership with Earnest D. Whitby. The firm handles the Lilly, Squibbs and Mulford remedies, carrying a large stock of drugs of the best grade, and makes a specialty of prescription work, exercising the utmost care in serving patrons. The partners are young men of scientific knowledge and practical experience in the drug trade, and the business is making rapid strides as a result of their combined efforts.
On November 20, 1920, Mr. Humes married Miss Elizabeth Marks, of Seattle, a daughter of J. L. and Alice Marks, and to this union has been born one child, Betty Mae. Mr. Humes is a republican in his political views but has never aspired to public office, preferring to discharge the duties of citizenship in a private capacity. He belongs to the American Legion and the Disabled Veterans Association and along fraternal lines is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He has never been afraid of hard work, knowing that industry and perseverance constitute the basis of success in all lines of endeavor, and he possesses many exemplary traits of character, as his fellow citizens attest.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 733-734
Huntoon, Bert W.
Bert W. Huntoon, engineer for the Pacific American Fisheries, manager of the affairs of the Mount Baker Development Company of Bellingham and former county engineer in and for Whatcom county, is one of the old established civil engineers in this section of the the state. He has been engaged in engineering activities here for more than thirty years and there is probably no man in the county who has a more intimate acquaintance with the general affairs throughout this section than has he. Mr. Huntoon is a native of California, but his activities have centered in and about Bellingham since the days of his boyhood. He was born in the city of Sacramento, February 6, 1869, and is a son of Daniel R. and Nellie (Waldron) Huntoon, the latter of whom was born in New Hampshire and is still living, being now a resident of Long Beach, California.
The late Daniel R. Huntoon, one of the pioneer promoters of the interests of what now is the city of Bellingham, was a native of the state of Vermont. In the early '50s, during the height of the rush to the gold fields of California, he came to the coast county and engaged in mining activities, becoming a mine superintendent. After becoming well established in his line he returned east, was married in Boston and in 1867 returned with his bride to California. In 1873 his mining operations took him into Utah, and in 1883, when development at Seattle began to attract general attention, he settled in the latter place and became one of the active and influential factors in the realty business there. In the next year, 1884, Mr. Huntoon acquired realty interests in the Sehome district of what is now the city of Bellingham. In 1887 he established his home here and began to take a prominent part in development work, with particular reference to city extension activities, and exerted a large influence in the labors of establishing here a substantial community. In his time he was one of the leading realtors in this section of the state and was the owner of considerable property, including the site on which the Sehome Hotel was erected. Upon his retirement he returned to Seattle, where his last days were spent, his death occurring in 1917.
Bert W. Huntoon was fourteen years of age when his parents took up their residence in Seattle in 1883, and he was graduated from the high school there and then was sent east to finish his education. After a course in civil engineering in the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at Troy, New York, he returned to the coast and has since been engaged in engineering activities here. Mr. Huntoon served for some time as assistant engineer under J. J. Donovan, being helpful in the development of that pioneer promoter's railroad activities, and in 1896 he was elected county civil engineer, a position of technical and professional responsibility which he occupied for two terms. In 1899 he became connected with the engineering operations of the Pacific American Fisheries, with headquarters in Bellingham, and has since been thus engaged, being one of the oldest continuous members of the organization of that great concern. In 1923 Mr. Huntoon enlarged his operations to include connection with the Mount Baker Development Company and as general manager of that concern has been an influential factor in recent development in the Mount Baker National Forest and in town extension enterprises, including the establishment of the fine new Mount Baker Lodge resort.
In November, 1901, at Seattle, Mr. Huntoon was united in marriage to Miss Marguerite Wilcox, who was born in Michigan. Mr. and Mrs. Huntoon are republicans and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the general civic and social life of the city. Mr. Huntoon is an active member of the Chamber of Commerce and of the Rotary Club and has attained to the fourteenth degree in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of the Masonic order.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 121-122
Hurley, Elmo T.
Elmo T. Hurley, well known and progressive young merchant of Bellingham, is head of the Ekho Drug Company and proprietor of a well stocked and admirably appointed drug store on Cornwall avenue. He was born in the Fairhaven section of what now is the city of Bellingham, December 20, 1891, more than ten years before Bellingham adopted its present corporate name, and is a son of J. C. and Rose A. (Mooney) Hurley, who had settled there in 1889, J. C. Hurley becoming established as a building contractor in that year. He was born in Oregon, a member of one of the pioneer families of that state. His wife was born in Missouri but was reared in Oregon, her parents having come into the northwest with their family when she was but a child.
Reared in Bellingham, Elmo T. Hurley was graduated from the high school and supplemented this by a course in the State Normal School, majoring in chemistry. He also carried on special work in pharmacy and in 1910, when in his nineteenth year, passed the state examination and become a registered pharmacist. From the days of his boyhood Mr. Hurley has been interested in chemistry and pharmacy, having begun as a clerk in a drug store during the vacation periods when but fourteen years of age, and he has long been recognized as a thoroughly competent pharmacist and an expert chemist. After he secured his license he was employed as a pharmacist in local drug stores until 1917, when he opened a drug store of his own in the Fairhaven section of the city. In 1921 he opened a branch cigar store at his present location on Cornwall avenue and in 1923 organized the Ekho Drug Company, of which is the head, and he set up at that point a thoroughly equipped and completely stocked drug store and has since been engaged in business there. Mr. Hurley is an active member of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and takes an interest in all movements and measures looking to the advancement of his home town and the community at large.
In 1913, in Bellingham, Mr. Hurley was united in marriage to Miss Mabel Stillwell, and they have three sons: Thomas, James and Joseph. Mrs. Hurley also was born in Bellingham. Her mother was daughter of Ozias D. McDonald, a veteran of the Civil war, who came to Washington in 1883 and a few years later, in 1887, became a resident of Whatcom county. In 1889 he was appointed to the customs service and in 1908 was made collector of customs for the port of Bellingham. Mr. and Mrs. Hurley are members of the Roman Catholic church and Mr. Hurley is one of the active members of the local council of the Knights of Columbus. He also is affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Loyal Order of Moose. He and his wife are republicans. Mr. Hurley is one of the most ardent sportsmen in this section of the state and has a statewide reputation as a dog fancier, with particular reference to hunting dogs. He is the founder of the Whatcom County Sportsman's Club and as a wing shot has few, if any, superiors in the state.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 932-933
Hyatt, John G.
A member of one of the oldest families of Whatcom county, John G. Hyatt has always resided within its borders and is one of the well known agriculturists of Marietta township, to which he has rendered good service as a tiller of the soil and also in the capacity of a pubic official. He was born May 2, 1864, in Bellingham, which at that time was known as Whatcom, and his parents were John G. and Emma Hyatt. His father and Charles Richards erected the first brick building in the county, to which they came as pioneers. In the early days it was used as a courthouse, and the structure is still standing. After the death of John G. Hyatt, Sr., his widow remarried, becoming the wife of James H. Taylor, a ship carpenter, who arrived at Fort Bellingham in July, 1854, when this region was populated chiefly by Indians.
John G. Hyatt was reared on a farm and his education was acquired in the public schools. He worked on the ranch, on boats and in logging camps, and since 1910 has owned and operated the homestead which his stepfather entered in Marietta township in 1868. His boyhood was spent upon this place, which is a well improved and fertile tract of one hundred and thirty acres. He raises the crops best adapted to the soil and climactic conditions of the locality and also finds dairying a profitable occupation. His cattle are of high grade and his methods of farming are both practical and progressive. The buildings are large and substantial and a general air of neatness and thrift pervades the place.
Mr. Hyatt is a strong adherent of the republican party and has ever manifested an unselfish spirit of devotion to the general good. As school director he was influential in improving educational facilities and standards in this section , filling the position for nine years, and for sixteen years he has been township assessor. His long retention in the office is eloquent of his capacity for such service, and his life record commands uniform respect, for fidelity to duty is one of his salient characteristics.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 346