Iddins, Clemmet M.
Among the progressive commercial organizations of Bellingham none enjoys a higher reputation than does the Washington Grocery Company, the pioneer in this field of activity, and for thirteen years Clemmet M. Iddins has been connected with the business, of which he is one of the owners and officers. He is a native of the south but has spent much of his life on the Pacific coast and is thoroughly imbued with western energy and enterprise. A son of the Rev. James V. and Mary (Holliday) Iddins, he was born in 1881 in Tennessee, and his mother is now residing in Knoxville, that state. The father was a minister of the Baptist church and an earnest Christian who influenced many to choose the higher course in life.
C. M. Iddins supplemented his public school course by two years of attendance at Marysville College of Tennessee and was engaged in teaching for a year. In 1902 he located in Edison, Washington, and embarked in general merchandising in association with his brother, James J. Iddins, who was drowned in 1905. After the latter's death the subject of this sketch was joined by another brother, Bert R. Iddins, and for some time they conducted a general store. C. M. Iddins next took charge of a mercantile establishment in Douglas county, Washington, and later became a traveling salesman for the firm of C. C. Morse & Company of San Francisco, California, representing that house for a year.
In 1913 Mr. Iddins became connected with the Washington Grocery Company of Bellingham, the oldest and largest wholesale grocery firm north of Seattle. It was established in May, 1902, and its first officers were S. A. D. Glasscock, president; R. A. L. Davis, vice president; and John Trezise, secretary and treasurer. L. P. White was also a large stockholder and one of the incorporators. The first home of the business was a three-story building, twenty-seven and a half by one hundred feet in dimensions, and it was started with seven employees. The trade increased steadily and in 1913 the firm found it necessary to provide more commodious quarters for the business, erecting a modern fireproof building four stories in height and one hundred and ten feet in dimensions. It is situated at the corner of Railroad avenue and Chestnut street and has ample shipping facilities. About thirty persons are employed, including five traveling salesmen, and the firm has a large business in the state of Washington, while its trade also extends to Alaska. The company features the Blue and Gold and the W. G. brands of canned goods, and the steady increase in the volume of business is the best commentary upon the quality of service rendered patrons and the spirit which actuates the men who control the destiny of the house. Upon the death of Mr. Glasscock in 1915, R. A. L. Davis was elected president and E. H. Holt acted as vice president, while John Trezise continued as secretary and treasurer. In 1919 Mr. Iddins purchased an interest in the company and has since filled the office of vice president. He has a detailed knowledge of the business, to which he gives his undivided attention, and has formulated many well devised plans for its expansion, bringing to the discharge of his duties executive capacity and a keen zest for his work.
In 1910 Mr. Iddins was united in marriage to Miss S. A. Barrow, of Mount Vernon, Washington, and they have three children: Bert, Alice and Maxine. Mr. Iddins is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and the United Commercial Travelers, while his political views are in accord with the principles of the republican party. His life has been one of unabating industry and what he has accomplished represents the fit utilization of his time, talents and opportunities.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 875-876
Ingersoll, M. S.
A typical westerner, M. S. Ingersoll has an intimate knowledge of life on the frontier and possesses the strong phisque (sic) and breadth of view which characterize those who live close to the heart of nature. He has resided in northwestern Washington for nearly two decades and is now engaged in farming in Lawrence township, owning one of the old and valuable ranches of this locality. He was born August 7, 1861, in Fillmore, Andrew county, Missouri, and his parents, John and Sarah (Monroe) Ingersoll, were natives of Ohio. They were among the early settlers of Missouri, and the father followed the blacksmith's trade, also making wagons. He enlisted for service in the Civil war and valiantly defended the Union cause. He went to South Dakota in 1876, being accompanied by the subject of this sketch, who was then a boy of fifteen, and in 1881 they were joined by the other members of the family. The father engaged in freighting, transporting supplies through the Black hills, in which were many Indians, and both parents passed away in South Dakota.
M. S. Ingersoll was educated in the public schools of Missouri and as a young man homesteaded land in South Dakota. As one of the pioneer farmers of that region he endured many hardships but eventually converted the virgin soil into a rich and productive tract. In 1905 he disposed of his property in South Dakota and went to Texas, spending two years in the Lone Star state. He next came to Washington and embarked in the fishing business in Seattle, owning a purse seine boat. He was thus engaged from 1913 until 1919 and then came to Whatcom county, purchasing the old Wilcox homestead in Lawrence township. It was taken up as a homestead nearly a half century ago and contains eighty acres of land. The house and barn are still standing and the latter is made of split cedar boards. The house is well preserved and is constructed of twenty-seven inch face cedar logs, hand hewed on four sides, presenting an interesting landmark of the early days. Mr. Ingersoll has a large poultry ranch and also operates a dairy. He has made a close study of these industries and owes his success to well formulated plans and scientific methods.
In 1884 Mr. Ingersoll married Miss Cora Knickerbocker, also a native of Fillmore, Missouri, and four children were born to them: Fred T., who is married and lives in Seattle, Washington; Chauncey C., at home; Harry M., who operates a ranch near the Wilcox homestead and has a wife and three children; and John Francis, known as Frank, who is also married. Mr. Ingersoll is a Mason and belongs to the Whatcom County Associations of Dairymen and Poultrymen, while he is also connected with the Cooperative Hatchery. He follows an independent course in politics, voting according to the dictates of his judgment, and his public spirit has led to his service on the school board. In the training school of life he has learned many valuable lessons, profiting by each experience, and he is now enjoying that prosperity which is the reward of honest labor.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 502
Ingersoll, W. R.
One of the most widely known and highly honored of Whatcom county's pioneers is W. R. Ingersoll, of Lynden township, who came here when this region was largely a wilderness and has contributed his part to its development and progress. he early had the sagacity and prescience to discern the eminence which the future had in store for this fine section of the country, and he has realized the fruition of his hopes and plans, being now one of the enterprising and successful farmers of his community. He was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1866, and is a son of O. R. and A. M. (Weeks) Ingersoll, the latter a native of Long Island. The father was born in New York city, where he followed the paint business during his active life. Both died at their home in Brooklyn.
W. R. Ingersoll attended the public schools of Brooklyn and then took a commercial course in a business college. After completing his education he entered the paint business with his father, with whom he remained until about 1886, when he came to Seattle to make a bid for a large railroad paint contract, and he took a decided liking to this region. Loading a wagon with merchandise, he started out through the country, but settlements were few and far between and the roads few in number, so that he made practically no sales. he went through the Puyallup region to Chehalis and thence back to Seattle, after which he returned east. However, he had contracted the "western fever" and shortly afterward again came to Seattle. he bought a third interest in the Seattle Soap Company, having learned something of the soap business in his home city, and acted as manager. While out making collections his route brought him up into Whatcom county, and , liking this section, he bought from the state one hundred and sixty acres of wild land just west of Lynden. On his return to Seattle he sold his interest in the soap business, this being in 1889, just priot to the great fire which ravaged that city. He then turned his attention to clearing his land, which was heavily covered with timber and brush, and in the meantime contracted to have forty acres of his land slashed. he continued to make improvements, among which was the first plastered house in this locality. In 1894 he lost his house and other buildings in the great forest fire which swept down from British Columbia to Bellingham, but he at once rebuilt and again applied himself to the development of his homestead. He was one of the first men in Whatcom county to engage in the handling of thoroughbred cattle, starting in with pure-bred Jerseys, and in many ways manifested an enterprising and progressive spirit. he was literally in the midst of a wilderness when he located here. Bears, deer, wild cats and cougars infested the woods about him, but they gradually disappeared before the incoming settlers. There were no roads and he was compelled to pack his provisions on his back from Bellingham. He remained on this place until the spring of 1903, when he moved to Lynden and then to Northwood, where he bought eighty acres of land, which he cleared and improved. Selling that place, he bought another tract about one mile north of Everson, about fifteen acres of which he cleared. In 1916 Mr. Ingersoll bought his present place, comprising forty acres, which was fairly well cleared but in a badly neglected condition. However, he has made many fine improvements and it now ranks among the best farms in this locality.
In 1897 Mr. Ingersoll was married to Miss Lillian A. McKee who was born in Kansas, a daughter of R. C. and Mary A. (Follis) McKee, both of whom were natives of Illinois. Mrs. Ingersoll came to Washington with her mother in 1887, remained in this locality about two years and then removed to Astoria, where they lived until 1892, when she returned to Whatcom county, where she has resided continuously since. To Mr. and Mrs. Ingersoll have been born five children, namely: Addie W., who is the wife of Wallace Burgy, of Bellingham, and is a graduate of the State Normal School at Bellingham; Walter W., of Hamilton, who is married and has one child; Oliver R., who is a student in the University of Washington, at Seattle; Arthur, who lives at Bothell and is married and has two children; and Agatha, who is a student in high school. Mr. Ingersoll has long been active in the public affairs of this community. He helped to organize the Glendale school district and served for three terms as clerk of the school board; also serving as clerk of the Roeder school board for several years. He was justice of the peace at Glendale and also for several years was constable. He has been a life of persistent and well applied energy, high principles and fine public spirit.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 161-162
Ireland, Charles C.
A highly productive farm in Mountain View township pays tribute to the care and labor bestowed upon the property by its owner, Charles C. Ireland, who is widely and favorably known in Whatcom county, in which he has resided for a period of twenty-eight years. He was born March 16, 1858 in Dubuque, Iowa, and his parents, Christopher E. and Fannie (McMasters) Ireland, were natives of Canada, in which country they were married. The father was born on Prince Edward island and migrated to Iowa early in the '50s. He was engaged in farming in the Hawkeye state for many years and in later life came to Whatcom county, Washington, where he passed away in 1903, while the mother's demise occurred in 1920.
Charles C. Ireland attended the public schools in his native state and after his education was completed followed the occupation of farming for a time, later opening a hardware store in Kingsley, Iowa. He conducted the business for six years, building up a good trade, and then went to Florida. He spent ten years in the Seminole state and on the expiration of that period returned to the west, settling in Whatcom county in 1897. He lived in Bellingham for four years and then purchased a tract of forty acres in Mountain View township, near Ferndale, where he has since resided. He grows the grains best adapted to soil and climatic conditions in this region and has an orchard of eleven acres, raising fine varieties of pears, plums and prunes. He adds to his income by the operation of a dairy and has also won success in the poultry business. Constant reading and study keep him well informed regarding the latest developments along agricultural lines, and his work is systematically and efficiently conducted.
In 1880 Mr. Ireland married Miss Annie E. Davis, also a native of Iowa, and two children were born to them. Melissa, the elder, is the wife of Monte Sheppard, of Bellingham, and the mother of three children. The son, Charles E., resides at home and assists his father in the conduct of the farm. Mr. Ireland maintains an independent attitude in politics and is liberal and broadminded in his views on all subjects. He has served on the school board and loyally supports every project for the general good. He is a member of the Grange and the Poultry and Dairy Associations of Whatcom county. His work has constituted a vital element in the development of this district, and at the same time he has won that individual prosperity which is the legitimate reward of a life of industry and thrift.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 548
Energy is the key which unlocks the portals of success and perseverance constitutes the path to prosperity. Possessing these qualities in abundance, David Ireland has steadily progressed toward the goal fixed by his ambition and his name has long been an honored one in business circles of Bellingham, which for thirty-eight years has numbered him among its loyal citizens. He was born in Quebec, Canada, in 1864, and his parents, Francis and Mary Ireland, migrated in later life to the States, settling in Iowa. There the father was engaged in farming until death terminated his labors. The mother is still living.
David Ireland received a public school education and remained at home until he reached the age of seventeen, assisting his father in the cultivation of the soil. He began his business career as a clerk in a grocery store in Quebec and in 1887, when a young man of twenty-three, came to the state of Washington. He spent about a year in the city of Seattle and then located in Whatcom, becoming manager of the grocery store of Harrington & Smith. He filled that position for a year and in 1889 purchased the business in partnership with Albert Pancoast, with whom he has since been associated. They operated the store on West Holly street for twenty years and then moved to their present location at No. 1321 Commercial street, occupying a building thirty by one hundred and twenty-five feet in dimensions. They carry a full line of staple and fancy groceries, and the business is the oldest in the town. The firm has always followed a policy of honorable, straightforward dealing and each year has chronicled a marked increase in the volume of its trade.
In 1897 Mr. Ireland married Miss Laura C. Korthauer, formerly a teacher in the Whatcom schools, and David Kenneth, their only child, supplemented his public school education by a course in the Oregon Agricultural College. He belongs to its Alumni Association and is now in the employ of the Standard Oil Company. Mr. Ireland is one of the influential members of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and exercises his right of franchise in support of the candidates of the republican party, while his fraternal affiliations are with the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He has fought life's battles unaided, developing that strength of character which never fails to win admiration and respect.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 393
Ireland, William J.
Through personal experience William J. Ireland has become well acquainted with many phases of pioneer life in the west, bearing his share in the work of progress and improvement, and although he has passed the Psalmist's allotted span of three score years and ten, time has dealt kindly with him. He is one of Bellingham's prosperous merchants and brings to his daily tasks both mental and physical vigor, finding true contentment in the performance of useful labor. He was born August 17, 1855, and is a native of Ontario, Canada. He is one of the seven children in the family of Richard and Marie Ireland and was but four years old when his father died.
Mr. Ireland was educated in the public schools of the Dominion and on starting out in life for himself chose the career of an agriculturist. In 1879, when twenty-four years of age, he went to South Dakota and entered a homestead, casting in his lot with the early settlers of the state. After years of arduous labor he converted the land into a productive tract, to which he added modern improvements from time to time, and also found time for public affairs. He was made auditor of Roberts county in 1893, filling the position until 1897, and for four years served as deputy county treasurer. In 1902 he came to Washington, opening a grocery in Bellingham, but soon afterward disposed of his stock and resumed the occupation of farming. He lived in the vicinity of Lynden, Washington, for a few years and then sold a portion of his land, going to Fergus county, Montana and returned to Bellingham, becoming the owner of the Van Wyck dairy store which he has since conducted. He is a reliable merchant, a business man of experience and ability, and has established a good trade.
In 1890 Mr. Ireland married Miss Alice Little, who was born in Minnesota and during her girlhood went to South Dakota. To this union were born four children, of whom Winnifred is the eldest. She is the wife of Robert Rittenberg, of Bellingham, by whom she has four children, two sons and two daughters. Her sister, Susan, is teacher of the violin in the Bellingham School of Music. Eva is the wife of Lee W. Day, of Bellingham, and the mother of three children. Ruth, the youngest member of the family, is engaged in educational work and resides in Oregon.
Mr. Ireland is a stanch adherent of the republican party and in former years was active in politics. Along fraternal lines he is connected with the Woodmen of the World and the Knights of Pythias. He has faithfully discharged every duty and obligation, having a keen sense of responsibilities of citizenship, and in the course of a long, upright and useful life he has won the esteem of many friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 707-708
Helmer Iverson is one of the leading farmers and dairymen of the northwestern part of Whatcom county, where he located many years ago, and through close attention to business and unswerving honesty he is meeting with a very gratifying measure of success. He comes of a sturdy Norwegian ancestry, long connected with the annals of the mountains, valleys and fjords of Norway. So he has in him many elements that contribute to success and today holds a high place in the estimation of all who know him.
Mr. Iverson was born in Norway on the 24th of June, 1868, and is a son of Iver and Mary (Olson) Iverson, both of whom spent their entire lives in their native land, the mother dying in 1878 and the father in 1894. They were the parents of six children, all of whom but one are living, namely: Ingeborg, deceased; Mary, who lives in Sweden; Ivrine, a resident of Norway; Marie, who makes her home in Seattle, Washington; Iver, who lives in Skagit county, Washington; and Helmer.
Helmer Iverson attended the public schools of his native land but at the age of ten years he left home and engaged in fishing, following that occupation until 1888, when he came to the United States. He arrived in Whatcom county in August of that year and at once joined his uncle, Ever Everson, who had come to Washington in 1868 and "squatted" on one hundred and sixty acres of land, where the town of Everson now stands, and which town was named in his honor. He filed on the land in May, 1871, at which time it was heavily timbered and roads were conspicuously absent. He settled down to the task of clearing the land, in which he made good progress, and lived there during the remainder of his life, his death occurring October 11, 1915. He was one of the first white men to settle north of the Nooksack river, was a man of kindly and generous nature, a friend to many in adversity and commanded the universal respect of all who knew him.
After Helmer Iverson came to this locality he engaged in the lumbering business, which he followed for many years. In 1891 he bought forty acres of land in Lawrence township, which he cleared of the timber which stood on it, and kept the place about eight years, when he sold it and bought one hundred and twenty acres of land located one and a half miles farther east. After clearing a part of this tract he sold it, and in February, 1907, located in Everson in order to take care of his uncle and run his ranch, which he inherited on the uncle's death, since which time he has continued to operate it with success. The land is exceedingly fertile and good crops are the rule, especially under the skillful cultivation of Mr. Iverson, who thoroughly understands all phases of farm work. He is especially interested in dairying, keeping forty head of good Holstein cattle, some of which are registered, and also a registered bull. He raises hay and grain chiefly, with some sugar beets. In 1925 one three acre field of sugar beets produced sixty tons of that vegetable. He maintains the place in good condition and today it is regarded as one of the best farms in that section of the county.
In 1898 Mr. Iverson was married to Miss Elizabeth Todd, who was born in England, a daughter of John and Helen (Robertson) Todd. Her family came to the United States in 1886, settling first in Nebraska, but in 1889 they came to Whatcom county, the father buying a ranch in Lawrence township. He lived there many years but finally retired about 1913 and moved to Everson, where he spent his last years, dying there in 1917. He is survived by his widow, who now makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. Iverson. Mr. and Mrs. Todd were the parents of three children, namely: Mrs. Elizabeth Iverson; Mrs. Belle Fisher, who resides in Ferndale, this county; and George, who lives on the old home farm in Lawrence township. To Mr. and Mrs. Iverson have been born six children, namely: Mabel, born September 19, 1899, is now engaged in missionary work in Honolulu, Hawaii; Harry, born November 10, 1900; Ida, born February 20, 1902; Mrs. Mary Ellen Bailey, born March 18, 1904; Hilda, born December 6, 1907, and Earl Theodore, born March 11, 1918.
Mr. Iverson and family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran church at Lawrence, to which he gives generous support. He is active in his advocacy of good schools and improved roads and supports every movement that promises to better the interests of the community along any line. He life history exhibits a career of unswerving integrity, indefatigable private industry and wholesome home and social relations - a most commendable career crowned with success. He possess a strong social nature and by his genial and kindly attitude to all with whom he comes in contact he has won the confidence and respect of every one.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 510-513
Deeds are thoughts crystallized, and according to their practicability do we judge the worth of a man to his community, and in his works we expect to find an index to his character. A worthy representative of that type of American business man who may properly be termed progressive and who promotes public good while advancing individual prosperity, is Ole Iverson, well known and successful sawmill and shingle mill owner of Delta township. He has been prominently identified with this locality for a number of years and is favorable known throughout this section of the county. He was born at Albert Lea, Minnesota, on the 31st of October, 1883, and is a son of Iver and Olena (Brekken) Iverson, both of whom were natives of Norway. They came to the United States in 1875 and located at Albert Lea, Minnesota, where the father engaged in farming, in which he was successful, and he remained there until 1889, when he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and bought ten acres of land north of Bellingham. He prospered in the development and operation of this place and added to his holdings from time to time, and at his death, in 1905, he was the owner of ninety acres of timber land. He is survived by his widow, who lives in South Bellingham. They were the parents of four children, those who survive being Thomas, of Bellingham, and Ole.
Ole Iverson received his educational training in the public schools of Whatcom county, to which he came when six years of age. At the age of seventeen he went to work in a shingle mill, eventually becoming filer in the mill. In 1910 he leased a shingle mill, located on the Smith road, and went into business on his own account. After running that mill for about four years, he went to Badger, in Delta township, and bought what was known as the "Modern Mill" from Henderson & Anglin. He operated that mill successfully for four years and then sold it. In 1918 he bought another sawmill, which is located in the southwest corner of Delta township. This mill has a capacity of ten thousand feet per day and is run full time practically throughout the year. Mr. Iverson also carries a full line of building material, in which he does a large business throughout the community, his line including brick, lime, cement, building paper, nails, tile and, in fact, everything required in building. Any lumber called for and not manufactured by him he buys from the larger mills at Bellingham, so that he is prepared to furnish anything required. He is progressive and enterprising, has a loyal force of employees, to whom he pays top wages, and fully merits the high position he holds in business circles. Mr. Iverson owns one hundred acres of land in Whatcom county, fifty-five acres of which are heavily timbered.
In September, 1909, Mr. Iverson was married to Miss Ida Dux, a native of Wisconsin and a daughter of Fred and Martha Dux, the former of whom was a native of Germany, while the latter was born and reared in Wisconsin. They came to Whatcom county in 1904 and the father is now successfully engaged in farming here. To Mr. and Mrs. Iverson have been born four children, namely: Florence, born in 1911; Gilbert, born in December, 1913; Adeline, born in June, 1916; and Leo, born in January, 1921. Fraternally Mr. Iverson is a member of Custer Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is easily the peer of any of his fellow citizens in the essential qualities of manhood and good citizenship, and he has attained his present standing solely through the impelling force of his own strong nature. Sound business principles, sterling integrity, indomitable energy and a winning personality have been the elements which have gained for him the success which has crowned his efforts.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 345-346