Jackman, W. H.
W. H. Jackman is one of the enterprising farmers and influential citizens of the western part of Whatcom county. His life has been a busy and successful one fraught with much good to his fellowmen, for, while laboring to advance his own interests, he has never been neglectful of his larger duties to the public. His record is worthy of perusal by those who would learn the intrinsic essence of individuality and its influence in moulding public opinion and giving character and stability to a community. W. H. Jackman was born in Iowa on the 26th of October, 1870, and is a son of Martin L. and Ellen (Townsend) Jackman, natives of New York state, the father born December 20, 1830, and the mother March 7, 1836. The father, who is now deceased, went to Iowa in 1853, being a pioneer of Bremer county, where he located and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land. He devoted his attention to the operation and improvement of that ranch until 1888, when he brought his family to Whatcom county. He bought a small ranch north of Lynden, which he operated until his retirement, when he moved into Lynden, where he lived until his death in June, 1906. His wife died November 14, 1925. Of the nine children born to them, five are now living: Mrs. Emma J. Arnold, of Los Angeles, California; Stephen T., of Lynden; Mrs. Effie Kelly of Lynden; Mrs. A. R. Smith of Seattle, and W. H.
The last named secured his educational training in the public schools of Iowa and Lynden, and after completing his studies remained at home until his marriage when he bought on hundred acres of the the old homestead from his brother Fred, the land being located three and a half miles northwest of Lynden. At that time it was badly encumbered with brush and stumps, but Mr. Jackman has cleared sixty acres, which he has under cultivation, the remainder of the farm being in timber and pasture. He built a fine new house on the place in 1895 and has otherwise made many substantial improvements, which have contributed to the value of the farm. He raises grain, corn and hay and has the farm well stocked, keeping fifteen high grade Jersey cows, three work horses, and about eight hundred chickens. The farm machinery is of the best and most modern type. he has good barns and chicken houses, and conducts his farming operations in a manner that reflects creditably on his ability and judgment.
Mr. Jackman has long taken an active part in local public affairs and has been an important factor in the welfare of his community. He has been treasurer of Delta township ever since its organization in 1912 and has also served for three years as a member of the board of supervisors. In educational affairs he has evinced the deepest interest and has been clerk of the school board of Sunshine district ever since its organization, in 1898. He is a stockholder of the Lynden Creamery, of which he has been treasurer for the past ten years and is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, the Whatcom County Poultry Association and the Whatcom County Farm Bureau. Fraternally he is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, belonging to Lodge No. 56, at Lynden; the Modern Woodmen of America, and he and his wife belong to Lynden Chapter No. 12, Order of the Eastern Star, the oldest chapter in the state. Mrs. Jackman is also a faithful and earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Lynden.
On October 30, 1895, Mr. Jackman married Miss Mary Shoemaker, who was born in Cass county, Michigan, a daughter of B. P. and Ellen (Eddy) Shoemaker, the latter born at Three Rivers, Michigan, March 26, 1842. The father, who was born at Andover, New York, October 16, 1837, left Michigan November 5, 1888, and came to Skagit county, Washington, where he lived for three years, during which period he served as United States deputy marshal. He then retired and came to Lynden, where he spent his remaining years, his death occurring February 11, 1925; his wife dying February 24, 1915. The father had gone from his native state to Michigan in 1855, locating in Van Buren county, of which he was a pioneer. To him and his wife were born three children: Mary; Benjamin, living in Ketchikan, Alaska, and Clarence D., who died in 1911. Mr. and Mrs. Jackman have two children. Orel Eva is the wife of Paul Helgath, of Seattle, and they have a son Paul Helgath, Jr., born October 17, 1925; Ellen Louise, is the wife of Harry Orner, of Corvallis, Oregon, where he is engaged in the butcher business, and they have a son, William Jackman, born April 16, 1925. Both daughters graduated from the high school at Lynden and from the Oregon Agricultural College, at Corvallis, Oregon, in 1920 and 1921 respectively. Mr. Jackman's energetic nature, strong determination, sagacity and capable management have not only brought him material success, but also the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens generally.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 759-760
Jacobs, F. M.
One of the honored old families of Lynden township, Whatcom county, is that of which the subject of this sketch is a worthy representative. They have been identified with this locality for over forty years and have not only attained a due measure of prosperity but have also measured up to the highest standard of good citizenship, contributing of their efforts to the welfare and progress of the community. F. M Jacobs was born at Yates Center, Kansas, in 1877, and is a son of J. H. and Marie (Ehlers) Jacobs. His father was born in Hanover, Germany, November 22, 1834, and died in February, 1913; while the mother was born in Aldenburg, Germany, August 14, 1842, and died in February, 1917. These parents came to the United States in 1869, stopping in New York city, where they remained about eight years, and in 1876 moved to southeastern Kansas, where the father was engaged in farming until July, 1884, when he came to Whatcom county, locating in Nooksack township.
The following year Mr. Jacobs homesteaded land in Lynden township and applied himself to the clearing of the tract, which was heavily timbered. There were at that time no roads leading to this locality and the nearest trail was two miles distant, so he went to work and made a road into his land. When they first came to the place, everything, even the cook stove, had to be brought in by hand. Wild animals, such as bears, deer, cougars, beavers and other wild game, were plentiful in the surrounding woods, but they soon disappeared before the onward march of the settlers who came into this locality. In addition to the clearing of the timber from the land, a good deal of ditch draining had to be done. A small log cabin was the first home, but it was later replaced by a comfortable and commodious frame house. In those days Mr. Jacobs had to go to Nooksack Crossing for provisions and supplies. About thirty acres of the land have been cleared and are in an excellent state of cultivation. To Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Jacobs were born eight children: Johannah, who was a teacher, died October 25, 1890. Mammie (Mary) Henrietta, who has never married, keeps house for the subject. Pauline is the wife of H. C. Kamp, of Bellingham, and they have a daughter. Mrs. Annie Doverspetre resides in Raymond, Washington. Julia, a twin sister of Annie, died December 9, 1898; F. M. is the immediate subject of this sketch. Celia is the wife of H. E. Huling, of Buckley, and they have two children. Paul died in Alaska, August 25, 1907.
F. M. Jacobs received his education in the Clearbrook and Northwood schools, which he attended three months each winter. He has spent practically all his life on the home farm here, which he is now operating. He is devoting his main attention to dairy farming, keeping sixteen good grade Shorthorn milk cows and a registered sire. He also keeps a number of registered Poland China hogs, and in the summer time he runs cattle on his place for other people. He ships his milk to the Carnation milk plant at Everson, and he has been very successful in the operation of the ranch. Mr. Jacobs is progressive in his ideas, keeps the farm well improved and shows good business ability in all his transactions. He takes commendable interest in the welfare of the community, which he endeavors to promote in every possible way, and has long been numbered among the representative men of his locality. Accommodating to his neighbors, friendly in all his social relations and generous in his attitude toward all benevolent objects, he has won and retains a deservedly high place in the confidence and good will of the entire community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 289-290
Jacobsen, J. C.
Regardless of the fact that Denmark is one of the small countries of Europe, it has sent many of its best citizens to the United States. They began coming in early days and have located in practically every section of the country. They have become splendid citizens of our country, loyal to its flag and institutions, and have done their share in building up their respective communities, having proven themselves substantial elements in our cosmopolitan population. In this class is J. C. Jacobsen, of the vicinity of Blaine, Whatcom county, who was born in Denmark, in 1865, a son of Jacob and Elsie (Jensen) Jacobsen, farming folk, who spent their entire lives and died in that country.
J. C. Jacobsen received a good, practical education in the public schools of his native land and then served the required time in the national army, first serving eight months with the infantry, when eighteen years of age. Two years later he served a month, and two years afterward served another month. He worked for his father and on other farms until 1890, when he emigrated to the United States, coming direct to Blaine, where "old-country" acquaintances of his had already located. He remained at Blaine for fourteen years, being employed in the mills in that locality, and then, in 1904, came to his present location where he bought forty acres of land. The tract was densely covered with timber and brush and he at once went to work to clear it and get it in shape for cultivation. Later he bought thirty additional acres, and he now has about fifty acres under the plow. He has made many permanent and substantial improvements, including an attractive house and a commodious barn, and has tile-drained a part of the land. He gives his main attention to dairying, for which purpose he keeps thirteen good grade cows. He raises hay and grain sufficient for his stock, and he has prospered in his work.
In 1890 Mr. Jacobsen was married to Miss Elvina Jensen, also a native of Denmark and a daughter of Jens and Dorthea Maria (Christensen) Jensen, who never left their native land, both now being deceased. Mr. Jacobsen and his wife came to this country at the same time and were married soon after reaching Blaine. They are the parents of four children, namely: Mrs. Dora Otto, who died in 1910; Mrs. Nora Bishop, of Blaine; Lyle, who lives in Montana; and Charles, who died in infancy. Mr. Jacobsen is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He is a man of good business ability, exercising sound judgment and discrimination in all of his transactions, and is absolutely dependable in everything in which he takes part, enjoying an excellent reputation as a man of honor and reliability. He gives his support to all movements for the betterment of the public welfare and enjoys the confidence and good will of the entire community in which he lives.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 436-439
Jacobson, Christian P.
Christian P. Jacobson, proprietor of a well established automobile repair shop and iron works on Elk street in Bellingham, one of the best known and most widely experienced craftsmen in his line in the city, has been a resident of Whatcom county since the days of his young manhood, a period of almost forty years, and is thus thoroughly familiar with conditions here. Mr. Jacobson was born in the kingdom of Denmark and as a boy there received early training in iron working, getting there his first lessons in blacksmithing and millwrighting. When little more than a boy he came to this country and proceeded to the western coast, locating at Tacoma, but two years later came to Whatcom county and took service as a millwright in the employ of the Bellingham Bay Milling Company. That was back in the '80s. Presently, in association with George Butler, Mr. Jacobson engaged in the general blacksmithing on Railroad street, building up quite an extensive establishment there, which Mr. Jacobson bought. As his affairs prospered he extended his interests to include land holdings, becoming the owner of a farm known as the Hagler place, on the Ferndale road, which he later traded for the present Alderson farm, and thus came to be recognized as one of the substantial citizens of the community. In 1907 he bought from Mr. Butler the latter's interest in the blacksmith shop and in 1912 he bought a half interest in the Maple block in Bellingham, meantime having discontinued his operations in the blacksmithing business, but in 1915 he resumed his proprietary control of the old shop and converted it into a general automobile repair shop and iron works, a business which he has developed in fine shape and in which he is now engaged, moving from this location to 1055 1/2 State street, proprietor of one of the best equipped establishments of its sort in this section, with a well appointed plant.
Mr. Jacobson has been married twice. On December 16, 1892, at Fairhaven, he was united in marriage to Miss Marie Hansen, who died August 26, 1914. By that union Mr. Jacobson has five children: Edward, now living at Snoqualmie Falls, who is married and has five children; Charles V., now living in Everett, who is married and has one child; Alfred P., who is living at Snoqualmie Falls; Bolitta, who married Ira Tawes and has two children; and Mrs. Annetta M. Frank, of Great Falls, Montana.
On November 10, 1921, in Bellingham, Mr. Jacobson was united in marriage to Mrs. Matilda (Nelson) Fretheim, widow of Erick Fretheim, and they reside at 420 Lakeway drive, where they are very comfortably situated. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson are members of the Lutheran church and are republicans. Mr. Jacobson is a member of the Danish Brotherhood and of the Woodmen of the World. Mrs. Jacobson was born in Denmark, there grew to womanhood and in 1886 married Erick Fretheim, a native of Norway. In the year following their marriage Mr. Fretheim and his wife came to America and settled in Minnesota. An experienced dairyman, he became engaged in the dairy industry, as manager and supervisor of local creameries. Two years later, in 1889, he came with his family to Washington and settled at Tacoma, where he was living when the great gold strike was made in Alaska. He made two or three trips into Alaska, taking part in the "rush," and later became employed as window trimmer and advertising manager for the Peoples Store at Tacoma. In 1900 he moved to Bellingham to take a connection with the Greensburg store and the remainder of his life was here spent, having from time to time been connected with the Peters clothing store, the Jacobs store and the Fair store, and his death occurred here in 1918.
To Erick and Matilda (Nelson) Fretheim were born twelve children, namely: Mrs. Margaret Armstrong, who died leaving a daughter; Mrs. Gertrude Hall, also now deceased; Mrs. Agnes Robinson, who is now living at Long Beach, California, and has four sons; Mrs. Hedwig Joint, of Fresno, California, who has four children; Fred K. Fretheim, a resident of Los Angeles; Mrs. Wey Miller, of San Diego, California, who has two children; Alphild Fretheim, deceased; Mrs. Ingrid Perkins, deceased; Ralph Fretheim, who is now living in Long Beach, California; Einar Fretheim, now (1926) a student in the Washington State Normal School at Bellingham; Viggo, deceased, and Irene Fretheim, a student in the high school.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 475-476
For more than thirty years Easton Jacobson, one of the veteran merchants of Bellingham, the proprietor of a well stocked and admirably appointed grocery store on Eleventh street, has been a resident of this city and he thus has seen it develop from a group of wrangling villages along the Bay into its present compact and well established proportions. Mr. Jacobson is a native of Norway, born in 1863, a son of Jacob and Annie Jacobson. Jacob Jacobson spent all his life in his native land, and some time after his death his widow came to this country, her last days being spent in Wisconsin.
Easton Jacobson was reared in his native country and there remained until he was twenty years of age when, in 1883, he came to the United States and became employed in farm labor in Wisconsin. He presently became the owner of a farm in Vernon county, that state, and after his marriage in 1886 established his home in that place. In 1893 he closed out his holdings there and came to Washington, in the fall of that year settling at Fairhaven, where he became employed in the lumber mills. Three years later, in 1896, he entered upon his mercantile career by becoming employed as a clerk in a local grocery store, and in 1904 he bought the S. M. Wood store at the corner of Twenty-first and Harris streets and became engaged in business in association with H. N. Anderson. For fourteen years Mr. Jacobson continued in business at that old stand, or until 1918, when he sold out, intending to retire. The lure of business proved too strong, however, and in 1920 he bought the A. L. Steinwick store on Eleventh street and resumed the grocery business. In 1923 he leased his present building, a well adapted structure forty by one hundred feet in ground dimension, at No. 1204 Eleventh street, and he has since been engaged in business there, being the proprietor of one of the best stocked and most up-to-date grocery stores in the city.
It was in 1886, in Wisconsin, that Mr. Jacobson was united in marriage to Miss Katherine Forton, who also was born in Norway and who had come to this country with her parents in the days of her girlhood. To this union twelve children have been born. Two sons died in infancy and ten children survive -- three sons, who are associated with their father in business, and seven daughters. The latter are all married and Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson have nine grandchildren, in whom they take much pride and delight. Annie Jacobson, the eldest daughter, married O. L. Sandwick of Bellingham and has two sons. Sophia Jacobson married N. Strand of Bellingham and has one daughter. Tillie Jacobson married P. K. Knutson of Bellingham and has two sons. May Jacobson married S. Sandel of Bellingham. Amanda Jacobson married Peter Johnson of Bellingham and has three sons. Julia Jacobson married George Morgan of Bellingham and has one son. Eda Jacobson, the youngest daughter, married S. F. Dewey and is now living in St. Louis, Missouri. As noted above, Mr. Jacobson's sons, Edward, George and Arthur, are associated with him in the grocery business on Eleventh street, the partnership forming a most effective and successful commercial combination.
The Jacobsons are members of the Lutheran church and are republicans, and they have ever taken a proper interest in church work and in the various good works of the community, as well as in the city's general civic affairs. In addition to the old established family residence in Bellingham, Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson have and attractive country home, a twelve room house with an individual water system, electric lights and all modern conveniences. It occupies a three acre tract which has been admirably parked and is situated within the city limits of Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 108-109
Jacobson, Nels, Sr.
Nels Jacobson, Sr., one of the most successful and best known farmers of Lynden township and one of Whatcom county's representative citizens, was not favored by inherited wealth or the assistance of influential friends, but in spite of this, by industry, perseverance and wide economy, he has attained a comfortable station in life. He is easily the peer of any of his fellows in the qualities that constitute good citizenship, for he not only possesses those powers which render a man efficient in his business affairs but also has that broadminded and public-spirited interest in the general affairs of the community which has rendered him a potent factor in the improvement and progress of the locality in which he lives. Mr. Jacobson was born in sweden in 1859, a son of Jacob and Cecelia (Falk) Jacobson, both of whom also were natives of that country, where the father, who was engaged in the mercantile business, passed away. The mother came to the United States and located in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1904, but later came to Whatcom county and made her home with her son Nels until her death.
Nels Jacobson attended the public schools of his native land and then entered the army for the prescribed period of military service, but after twenty-one days he was relieved of further service. He then learned the trade of a machinist, which vocation he followed there until 1881, when, desirous of a larger field of opportunity for individual advancement, he immigrated to the United States. He first stopped in Chicago, Illinois, where he followed his trade for two years, at the end of which time he went to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and entered the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, where he worked as a machinist for ten years. In 1902 Mr. Jacobson came to Whatcom county and bought one hundred acres of the old Shagren ranch, part of which land was fairly well cleared. Later he bought an additional forty acres and cleared about thirty acres of that tract. He is still the owner of this land, but in 1916 he located on his present farm of twenty acres in Lynden township, where he is devoting his attention mainly to the dairy business. He keeps twenty-two good milk cows, some of which are registered stock, and his well cultivated fields produce practically all the feed required on the ranch. About 1910 Mr. Jacobson established the first herd of registered Guernsey cattle in this part of the county, but he sold the herd in 1918. Of late years he has not been as active in the operation of the farm as formerly, his two sons having assumed the major portion of the work, and he is now able to enjoy the leisure to which his former years of effort have entitled him.
In 1883 Mr. Jacobson was married to Miss Johanna Monson, who was born and reared in Sweden and is a daughter of Mons and Johanna Atlas, both of whom also were natives of Sweden, where the mother's death occurred. The father served in the Swedish national army. About 1888 he came to the United States but died several months afterwards. To Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson were born ten children: Annie died August 17, 1890, at the age of four years. Charlie, who died in 1919, was married and left a son, Carl. Arthur is married and lives near his father's farm. Olga is the wife of Leon Barton, of Lynden, and is the mother of one child. George, who lived north of Lynden, was married and had three children. He died November 25, 1925. David lives on his father's farm. Mary, twin sister to David is the wife of Levy Axlund, of Lynden, and they have two children. August died in 1915. Nels, Jr., is married and lives on the home farm. Mrs. Edith Baldwin resides in Bellingham.
Politically Mr. Jacobson is an earnest and active supporter of the republican party and is now the representative of his district in the state senate. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He was interested in the old Lynden Creamery, of which he was president for about ten years, and also a director before the plant was sold to the Dairymen's Association, and he is now a director of the latter organization, which he likewise served for one year as president. He has been treasurer of Lynden township continuously since its organization and is a member of the board of directors of the People's Bank at Lynden. His religious affiliation is with the Lutheran church, to which he gives generous support, as he does to all worthy benevolent and charitable objects. He has always stood ready to identify himself with his fellow citizens in any good work and extended his aid to advance any measure for the best interests of the community along material, civic or moral lines. A man of genial and kindly manner, he enjoys a wide personal acquaintance and has a host of warm and loyal friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 454-457
Jamieson, David Henderson
The late David Henderson Jamieson, who died at his home in Bellingham in 1918 and whose widow still is living there, had for years been engaged in the mercantile business in this county and was widely known throughout the county. He was born in the province of New Brunswick in the Dominion of Canada, one of fourteen children, all but three of whom in time came west, six of them settling in Whatcom county, and the Jamieson family thus is well represented here.
David H. Jamieson remained in his native county, engaged in farming, until 1901, when he came to Washington and joined one of his brothers in business in Olympia. In 1904 he disposed of his interests there and came to Whatcom county and here joined another of his brothers in mercantile business in Lynden. Two years later he became established in mercantile business on his own account in Everson and was there thus engaged until 1915, when he sold his store and moved with his family to Bellingham, where he opened a shoe store which he owned until his death May 15, 1918. Mr. Jamieson was a republican and a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
On November 10th, 1906, at Lynden, Mr. Jamieson was united in marriage to Miss Kathryn Beernink and to this union two children were born, William and Sarah. Since the death of her husband Mrs. Jamieson has continued to make her home in Bellingham, she and her daughter residing at 611 Oak street. They are members of the Congregational church and Mrs. Jamieson is the leader of one of the women's organizations of that congregation. She was born in Wisconsin and was there reared. In 1898 she came to Whatcom county, rejoining her brothers, who had located at Lynden, and with them made her home until her marriage to Mr. Jamieson.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 468
Jamieson, Hugh Herbert
The late Hugh Herbert Jamison, for years a well established merchant at Lynden, where he died in the summer of 1922, and whose widow now is living in Bellingham, had been a resident of Whatcom county for more than thirty years and was widely known throughout this region. Mr. Jamieson was born in the maritime province of New Brunswick in 1859, of Scotch-Irish stock, and was there reared. As a young man he became a resident of Minnesota, where he remained until 1889, when he arrived in Washington and became connected with the logging operations of his brother, John Jamieson, in the Bay settlements. Some years later he bought the store at Clearbrook in this county and thus entered upon the mercantile career in which he engaged the remainder of his life. Five years later he sold his Clearbrook store and helped to organize a wholesale grocery establishment at Bellingham with which he was connected until 1904, when he bought the old Killdall [Kildall] general merchandise store at Lynden and moved to that place, creating there the widely known Farmers Mercantile Company, of which he was the head, and thus continued in business at that place until his death, August 8, 1922, being one of the best known and most successful merchants in the county.
On December 25, 1896, at Bellingham, Mr. Jamieson was united in marriage to Miss Cena M. Byron, who survives him and who is now making her home in Bellingham, residing at 830 Liberty street. She was born in the state of Maine, daughter of Josiah and Susan (Richardson) Byron, both members of colonial families in New England. Mrs. Jamieson has been a resident of Washington since 1890 and has three children: Cecil B. Jamieson, a veteran of the World war, who was graduated from the Lynden high school and from the University of Washington and is now living in Chicago; Ivan Jamieson, a student in the Bellingham high school; and Mrs. Rita S. Faunton, now living in Portland, whose education was finished in the Annie Wright Seminary.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 460-461
Jansen, John D.
John D. Jansen, one of Whatcom county's honored pioneers, has lived in Lawrence township for forty-four years, and no resident of this district has contributed in greater measure toward the development and utilization of its rich agricultural resources. A son of John D. and Tenna Jansen, he was born June 7, 1852, and is a native of Germany. He arrived in New York city in 1869, when a youth of seventeen, and in 1870 shipped before the mast. He followed the life of a sailor for several years, visiting England, Australia, New Zealand and Africa, and thus broadened his outlook upon life. He settled in Washington in 1880 and in 1882 came to Whatcom county, taking up a homestead in Lawrence township in the vicinity of Everson. He was the first settler in this locality, and in every direction were dense forests in which game of all kinds was to be found. His claim comprised one hundred and sixty acres, and after much difficulty he succeeded in clearing the land and bringing it under the plow. He has sold most of the homestead, retaining a tract of thirty-one acres, on which he has place many improvements, and his place is one of the most valuable in the district. He operates a dairy and is also a poultry raiser. He is an expert agriculturist and has demonstrated the value of efficiency and system in promoting productiveness.
On October 17, 1893, Mr. Jansen married Miss Louisa Miller, who was born in Switzerland and has been a resident of Whatcom county since 1893. To their union were born three children: Ted, who is married and lives in the county; Eva, the wife of James Cavalero, of Everett, Washington; and Nettie, of Arlington, this state. Mr. Jansen is an adherent of the republican party and in the early days filled the position of road overseer. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and also of the Poultrymen's Association. He has lived to witness the reclamation of this district, which now ranks with the most productive sections of the northwest, and no one rejoices more sincerely than he in what has been achieved along the lines of improvement and progress. Earnest, industrious and purposeful, he has accomplished what he has undertaken, and time has proven his worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 546
Jansen, N. P.
Biographies are not worthy of publication unless there is something in the life and character of the individual worthy of emulation. Such is the record of N. P. Jansen (sic), of Ferndale township, who began life practically at the bottom of the ladder, which he has climbed with no help. A brave heart, industrious hands and an intelligent mind, have enabled him to climb and he is a living example of what may be accomplished in this land of opportunity by energy, perseverance and thrift, even under apparently discouraging circumstances. Mr. Jansen (sic) is a native of Denmark, but now a citizen of the United States. His birth occurred July 18, 1877, and he is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Nels Jansen, who also were born and reared in that country. The father is still living there, the mother passing away in 1921. They became the parents of six children, all of whom are living.
N. P. Jansen secured his education in the public schools of his native land and then went to work as a clerk in a store, where he remained for six years. In 1903 he emigrated to the United States and came at once to Ferndale, Whatcom county, where for several years he was variously employed. He was a hard worker and wisely economical, so that in 1910 he was able to buy forty acres of land, two miles northeast of Ferndale. This was densely covered with stumps and brush, but he applied himself vigorously to the task of clearing it, and now has a fine improved farm, the equal of any its size in the section of the county. In 1916 he built a modern house, convenient in arrangement and attractive in appearance, and also a substantial and commodious barn. He keeps fourteen good grade Guernsey and Jersey cows and a team of fine horses. He devotes the cultivated land to hay, grain and potatoes and has met with well deserved success in all of his operations.
On June 1, 1907, Mr. Jansen
(sic) was married to Miss Christina Petersen, daughter of Nels and Maren (Christian) Petersen. Her parents were
born in Denmark, and the mother is still living there, at the age of eighty-two years, the father dying in 1883.
They were the parents of nine children, Ellen, Johanna, deceased, Peter, Chris, Hans, James, Christina, Annie and
Olga. Mrs. Jansen came to Washington in 1906. Mr. and Mrs. Jansen have two children,
born December 9, 1909, and now in the Ferndale high school, and Harry, born June 25, 1913. Mr. Jansen is a member
of the Grange and of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He has been deeply interested in educational affairs
and in good roads, and is now serving as road supervisor for Ferndale township. Altogether Mr. Jansen has cleared
over one hundred acres of land in Whatcom county, which implies a vast amount of the hardest sort of labor, as
all know who have been familiar with conditions in this locality. He is a man of generous and kindly impulses,
genial and companionable in his social relations, and public-spirited in his support of all laudable measurers
for the advancement of the public welfare. Because of earnest life, splendid success and his neighborliness, he
has gained a high place in the estimation of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 702-703
Jarmon, William Robert
Perhaps no record in the biographical annals of the northwest exceeds in interest that of William Robert Jarmon, whose career from boyhood to old age was a succession of extraordinary incidents and experiences. To him belongs the distinction of having been the first white settler in Whatcom county, a fact which in itself clearly entitles him to specific mention in the history of this locality. He was a man of more than ordinary physical stamina, unlimited courage and indomitable perseverance, and his name is deserving of perpetuation among the people of the great county of which he became an honored citizen.
Mr. Jarmon was born in Gravesend, England, in 1821, a son of William and Frances (Muckle) Jarmon, the former a native of England and the latter of Scotland. The father was a sea captain and died when the subject was about fifteen years of age. Two years later the lad joined a British man of war, which he later deserted at Van Dieman's land, Australia, and boarded a whaling vessel, with which he sailed in northern Pacific waters until 1841. In that year, while on a voyage down the coast, the captain sent him and another sailor ashore on Vancouver island to secure a supply of fresh water. They became confused and were lost, and the ship sailed away and left them. They were attacked by Indians, who wounded Mr. Jarmon in the roof of his mouth with an arrow and killed his companion. However, the subject escaped and hid in a swamp, where he endured untold sufferings until discovered by an Indian squaw. He was delirious and suffering from fever and ague, but she cared for him and nursed him back to health. On his recovery he married her and lived with the Indians on the island for about two years. Eventually Governor Douglas, of Victoria, British Columbia, heard that an Englishman was held captive by the Indians on Vancouver island and sent a company of soldiers to investigate. They found Mr. Jarmon and paid the Indians a ransom of a bale of blankets, upon which he was released. In 1843 he came to Whatcom county, Washington, being the first white man to explore that locality, and he was also the first white man to visit the present site of Seattle.
Mr. Jarmon remained in northwestern Washington until the discovery of gold in California in 1849, when he went there and spent a year or two in search of the yellow metal. He then returned to Whatcom county and located at Fort Whatcom, where he served for a number of years as scout for General Pickett, with whom he was on terms of intimate friendship. Some time in the '60s Mr. Jarmon took up a homestead in the northwestern part of Whatcom county, at what is now called Jarmon's Prairie. About that time he married an Indian squaw, by whom he had two children, both of whom are now dead. He carried the first mail from Port Townsend and Steilacoom, Washington. When past his seventieth year, Mr. Jarmon again caught the gold fever and outfitted a vessel to go to the Klondike, but friends persuaded him not to make the trip, as he was too old for that sort of a venture, so he sold the vessel. He then went to England for a visit, remaining there about a year, when he returned to Whatcom county in company with a niece, Miss Minnie Vine. After her marriage, in 1899, he made his home with her and her husband, who looked tenderly after his welfare and wants until his death, which occurred June 11, 1913, when he was ninety-two years of age. His wife had died some time in the '80s. He was widely known throughout this section of the country, and after his ransom from the Indians he was familiarly known as "Blanket Bill." He was a man of great strength of character, sterling integrity and rugged honesty, and a man of positive convictions and great personal courage. Friendly and hospitable, kindly and generous, he was greatly liked by all who enjoyed the privilege of a personal acquaintance with him, and for many years he was recognized as one of the unique and outstanding figures in the early history of this locality.
Minnie Vine was married, in June, 1899, to William Manning, who was born in London, England. In young manhood he came to America, locating in Toronto, Canada, where he engaged in farming, following that pursuit until 1890, when he came to Whatcom county and bought eighty acres of land near Ferndale. The land at that time was densely covered with timber and brush, but he succeeded in clearing off practically the entire tract, which he cultivated up to the time of his death, which occurred February 10, 1922. To Mr. and Mrs. Manning were born two children, namely: Mrs. Doris Oliver, who was graduated from the Ferndale high school and from the State Normal School at Bellingham and is now engaged in teaching school at Monroe, Washington; and Lionel, who also was graduated from the Ferndale high school and is a student in the State Agricultural College at Pullman. Mrs. Manning is conducting the ranch in a businesslike manner, but she has now leased the place. it is a well improved ranch, with a splendid set of buildings and fertile and well cultivated soil, the principal crops being hay, grain and sugar beets. It has long been recognized as one of the best farms on the Nooksack river and is particularly desirable from the fact that it is equipped with a complete irrigating system. Mrs. Manning is a woman of splendid character, admirable tact and sound judgment and is a very popular member of the circles in which she moves.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 242-243
Jeffries, Walter J.
Unfailing energy and mental alertness are an executive's chief requirements, and being well endowed with these qualities, Walter J. Jeffries has won and retained a place of prominence in manufacturing circles of Bellingham. He was born February 24, 1886, in Newark, New Jersey, and is a son of Alfred and Elizabeth Jeffries, the former a jewelry broker.
After the completion of his public school course Walter J. Jeffries learned the jewelry business under the direction of his father and for some time was in the employ of Tiffany & Company of New York city. He also worked for the American Watch Case Company and then went to Canada. He was connected with the jewelry business at Fernie, British Columbia, and at Calgary, Alberta. At Vancouver, British Columbia, Mr. Jeffries began the manufacture of jewelry, and in 1921 he returned to his native land, establishing a factory in Bellingham, where he has since made his home. The output of his plant is sold to the retail stores and constitutes a fine example of skill in the goldsmith's art. He has a comprehensive understanding of the business, of which he has made a life study, and through wise management and honorable methods is rapidly building up an important industry.
In 1910 Mr. Jeffries was united in marriage to Miss Evelyn Murray, of Ottawa, Canada, and they have four children: Frank, Audrey, and Fred and John, twins. Mr. Jeffries gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is a member of the Lions Club and the Knights of Pythias. With efficiency as his watchword he has steadily progressed toward unqualified respect of Bellingham's business men.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 170
Jennings, Frank A.
Frank A. Jennings, known throughout Baker township as a broadminded man of marked public spirit, is prominently identified with dairying, one of the greatest wealth producing industries of western Washington, and from an early age he has depended upon his own resources for a livelihood. He was born April 19, 1865, in Chenango county, New York, and his parents, Simeon and Cynthia (Gibson) Jennings, both passed away in the Empire state.
Frank A. Jennings was reared on his father's farm and attended the public schools. When a youth of fifteen he became a wage earner and in 1883 went to Michigan, obtaining employment in the lumber woods. In 1885 he left the wolverine state and next spent two years in Illinois. In 1887 he started for the Pacific coast, with Oregon as his destination, and in the fall of 1889 came to Washington. He entered a homestead one-half mile east of the present site of Van Zandt and established his home in the midst of a wilderness. There were no roads and the forests were filled with game of various kinds. Through strenuous effort he succeeded in clearing the land and prepared the soil for the sowing of seed. He eventually developed a productive farm, which he sold to advantage in 1905, and purchased his present ranch of one hundred and twenty-seven acres, situated a mile south of Van Zandt, in a very desirable location. He has thirty-five acres under cultivation and the balance is in timber and pasture. He has a fine dairy and also raises poultry for the market. His work is performed with thoroughness and system and he receives good returns from his labors.
In December, 1891, Mr. Jennings married Miss Clara Schnorbuss, a daughter of frank Schnorbuss, now deceased, who took up a homestead in the Nooksack valley about 1885 and was one of the earliest settlers in the district. To Mr. and Mrs. Jennings were born three children: Henry, who resides with his parents; Ida, who is the wife of John Thomas, a well known ranchman of this locality, and has three children; and Irving, at home. Mr. Jennings belongs to the Whatcom County Association of Poultry Raisers and also to the Association of Dairymen. He is allied with the republican party and is always found in the vanguard of every movement for public betterment. He takes a deep interest in educational matters and served for eighteen years on the school board. He is chairman of the board of supervisors of Baker township and has acted in this capacity since the time the township was formed. He has displayed rare qualities as a public servant and his life presents an excellent illustration of what constitutes good citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 411-412
Nicolas Jerns, veteran Bellingham manufacturer and the proprietor of the oldest continuing shingle mill in Whatcom county, has ben here for more than thirty-five years and may thus very properly be accounted among the pioneers in the industrial life of this community. Mr. Jerns set up his shingle mill on Silver Beach in 1893, and he has for years been recognized as one of the leading manufacturers in his line in the state, the products of his factory entering the market in all parts of the United States, his invariable insistence on quality production long ago having gained for his shingles a reputation in the building trades that has created a wide and popular demand for them.
Mr. Jerns is a native of the old Hawkeye state, born in Johnson county, Iowa, May 2, 1862, and is a son of Jacob and Elizabeth Jerns, both of whom are now deceased. Jacob Jerns, a native of Germany, came to this country in 1849, following the unsuccessful political revolution in his native land in 1848, and in time he became a substantial farmer in Iowa. Reared on the farm, Nicolas Jerns remained in his home state until 1890, when he came to the coast and became employed in the mills in the Bay settlements here. For three years he was thus engaged, becoming thoroughly familiar with the process of manufacturing shingles, and in 1893, he established a mill of his own, settling on Silver Beach, Lake Whatcom. He has ever since been engaged in the manufacture of shingles at that point, gradually building up a plant that stands second to none in character of equipment and quality of product, and, as noted above, he is now the oldest manufacturer in his line in the county, his plant being a valuable asset to the industrial life of the community.
In April, 1898, Mr. Jerns was united in marriage to Miss Alice Montague, who was born in Ireland and who is a sister of Bernard Montague, a well known Bellingham merchant. To this union have been born six children: Mary, Josephine, Nicolas, John, Agnes and Bernard, all of whom are living save the last named. The Jernses are members of the Roman Catholic church and are republicans. Mr. Jerns is an active member of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and is affiliated with the local council of the Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Order of Foresters.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 110-113