Carl Jonasson, well known dairy farmer of Nooksack township, is one whose well directed efforts have gained for him a position of desired prominence in the various circle in which he moves, and his energy and enterprise have been crowned with success. Having ever had the interests of his community at heart and having sought to promote them in every way possible, he has earned a place along with his enterprising fellow citizens in the permanent history of Whatcom county. Mr. Jonasson was born in Sweden on the 3d of March, 1853, and is a son of Jonas and Sophia Anderson, both of whom were lifelong residents of that county, where they passed away. The father followed farming and was a man of prominence in his community. He was born in 1813 and died in 1897, while his wife, who was born in 1816, died in 1894. They were the parents of seven children, namely: Axel, Steena Marie, John Magnus, Carl, Ida, Hilma, and Alfred, who died in Wisconsin.
Carl Jonasson received his education in the public schools of his native country, and he remained on the home farm until he was eighteen years of age, when he learned the trade of a stone mason, and was employed at railroad building. In 1880 he came to the United States, locating in Minnesota, where he was employed at farm work for two years, and then entered the employ of the Great Northern Railroad between St. Paul and Seattle. Later he went to Alaska and followed railroading there during one season. In 1893 he came to Washington, going to Seattle, and then bought a small ranch, which he cleared and planted to fruit trees and berries. He successfully operated that place for twelve years, at the end of which time he sold it and, coming to Nooksack, bought forty acres of timber land, three miles northeast of that place. He has this land cleared and nicely improved in every respect, including a comfortable and attractive home and substantial and commodious barns and other farm buildings, his place being one of the best kept farms in this locality. His main field crops are hay, grain and peas, the greater part of which he utilizes as stock feed, keeping twelve good grade cows and horses. During the years when he was engaged in railroad work, Mr. Jonasson also prospected for gold in Montana for several years.
On October 15, 1895, Mr. Jonasson was married to Miss Hulda Nelson, who was born in Sweden, a daughter of Andrew and Catherine Nelson, the former of whom was a farmer in his native land, where he and his wife spent their entire lives, both being now deceased. They were the parents of five children, namely: John, who remains in Sweden; Hulda, Mrs. Jonasson; Marie, deceased; Clara, who lives in Duluth, Minnesota, and Caroline, who also remains in Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Jonasson are the parents of two children, Ragner and Ida Marie. Ragner, who was born in Seattle, October 5, 1896, now lives on and operates twenty acres of his father's ranch, where he has built a nice home, and he also operates the milk truck for the dairy association. He was married to Miss Ralta Annis, a native of Washington, and they are the parents of three children: Pearl, born July 28, 1916; Harvey, born May 12, 1921; and Esther, born February 23, 1923. Ida Marie, who is the wife of B. C. Johnson, of Portland, Oregon, is the mother of a daughter, Dorothy Jean, born May 31, 1923. Quiet and unassuming, Mr. Jonasson nevertheless possesses qualities of character which command the esteem and regard of those who know him, and he is recognized throughout the community as a man of enterprising and progressive spirit, who always supports all measures for the public welfare.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 169-170
Jones, Byron L.
Like the majority of men who have achieved a full measure of success, Byron L. Jones has risen to the top through hard work and tenacity of purpose, and as the founder and head of the Bellingham Tug & Barge Company he has become a dominant figure in maritime circles of the Pacific northwest. He was born in 1870 and is a native of Ponca, Dixon county, Nebraska. His parents, J. W. and Alice I. (Eddy) Jones, had made the journey from Minnesota to Nebraska in 1868, and the father entered land from the government, being one of the pioneer farmers of that region. In later life he migrated to Florida.
Byron L. Jones attended the public schools of Nebraska and performed his share of the work on his father's large horse ranch. When he was nineteen years of age the family went to the south, and for a number of years he was engaged in the lumber business in Florida in association with his father and brother. He came to Whatcom county in 1907 and for several years acted as a log scaler, working in the lumber woods of northwestern Washington. In 1912 he organized the Bellingham Tug & Barge Company, venturing into a field of activity of which he had no knowledge, and in the intervening period he has developed the largest corporation of the kind on the Pacific coast. Mr. Jones is president of the firm, which operates a fleet of eight tugs and four barges for the transportation of logs, sand, gravel, coal and lumber to Alaska and points on Puget sound. The company also takes charge of the unloading and rafting of all logs shipped into Bellingham over the Northern Pacific, Great Northern and Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroads and during 1924 unloaded and rafted one hundred and fifty-five million feet of logs. Forty men are required for this work and about fifty are utilized in operating the tugs and barges. A keen judge of human nature, Mr. Jones has been very fortunate in the selection of his employes, and he has made it a rule that faithful, competent service should be rewarded with promotion as opportunity offers, treating his men at all times with justice and consideration. To the solution of the many perplexing problems presented to him as chief executive he brings the poise, wisdom, vision and administrative power of the man of large affairs, always clear-headed and prepared for any emergency. He has created a splendid organization and is now making important additions to his equipment and working force.
In 1893 Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Anna Hinkle, of Missouri. Jettie, their only child, is the wife of Donald B. Stewart, of Bellingham, and the mother of a son, Donald B., Jr. Mr. Jones is vice president of the Rotary Club of Bellingham and is also connected with the Chamber of Commerce and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Strong and purposeful, his activities have been directed along steadily broadening lines of greater usefulness. It is men of this progressive type who constitute the bone and sinew of the nation. They take no backward step and their attainment of a goal means not a temporary triumph but a permanent conquest.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 422-425
Jones, Charles M.
Charles M. Jones proved his loyalty and devotion to his country by gallant service in the World war and is now numbered among the leading automobile dealers of Blaine. He was born in 1893 in Cedar county, Missouri, and is a son of W. B. and Elizabeth Jones. The latter passed away in that state, and the father brought his family of six children to Whatcom county, Washington, in 1903, locating in Bellingham. In 1904 he moved to Blaine and for many years was in the employ of the Great Northern Railroad Company, making his home here until his death in 1921.
Charles M. Jones attended the public schools of Missouri and completed his education in Blaine. He was employed along mechanical lines until 1917, when he entered the service of the nation, becoming a member of the First Balloon Company, and was later made sergeant. He was assigned to duty in the machine gun aircraft service and spent eighteen months overseas. He was stationed at the front for six months, being on active duty every day of that period, and was honorably discharged in June, 1919, at the end of two years' service. He returned to Blaine and on January 1, 1920, organized the Drayton Automobile Company, of which he has since been the president. He has the local agency for the Overland and Willys-Knight cars and maintains the most complete and up-to-date repair shop in the county. It is equipped for acetylene welding, and he has also installed a Willard storage battery, a lathe and a drill press. The business is conducted in a modern two-story building, fifty by one hundred feet in dimensions, and furnishes employment to three skilled mechanics. Mr. Jones closely supervises every detail of the work and manifests keen sagacity, marked foresight and executive power in directing the business, which is rapidly expanding.
In 1922 Mr. Jones married Miss Ola Hayson, of Burlington, Washington and they have a son, Charles L. Mr. Jones belongs to the American Legion and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He is one of the earnest members of the Chamber of Commerce and gives his political support to the republican party. A young man of enterprising spirit, he has never feared that laborious effort which must ever precede ascendancy in all lines of endeavor, and his energy, determination and ability insure his continuous progress.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 939
Jones, E. B.
E. B. Jones enjoys distinctive preferment among the citizens of Lynden township, where he now lives in honorable retirement after a long and useful life, which has been crowned with success, and as a neighbor and citizen he is highly esteemed by all who know him. He long ago earned the honor and respect of his fellowmen, having fought his way upward to an enviable position, and in every relation of life his voice and his influence have been on the side of right as he has seen and understood the right. Mr. Jones was born in New York city on the 29th of October, 1843, and is a son of William and Ann Cecelia (Davis) Jones, both of whom were natives of Wales, though their marriage occurred in the United States. The father was a sailor by vocation, having risen from cabin boy to the position of captain.
E. B. Jones attended the public schools of New York city until he was ten years of age, when he went to work as errand boy in a Broadway hat store, where he remained until he was seventeen years old. The Civil war then being in progress, he desired to enlist, but he lacked the required age and was sent to an aunt in Connecticut to keep him from further attempts to enter the army. However, in the course of time he succeeded in enlisting as a private in the Twentieth Regiment, Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, with which he served two years and ten months, one year of which time was spent in Virginia and the remainder of the time in the Western army. He was with General Sherman in the historic march from Atlanta to the sea and took part in the battles of Gettysburg and Chancellorsville. After receiving an honorable discharge at the conclusion of the war, Mr. Jones returned to New York and again entered a hat store. Soon afterward the family moved to Jersey City, New Jersey, and our subject obtained employment in Hoboken, that state, where he remained for two years. He also was engaged in the express business between New York city and Hudson City. He then went to Illinois and located on a farm belonging to a cousin, about one hundred miles south of Chicago, where he cultivated the soil for about three years. He next went to Onarga, Illinois, where he learned the tinner's trade, and afterward engaged in that business. After his marriage, in 1873, he sold out there and went to Delrey, Iroquois county, and bought a hardware store, which he operated for several years, after which he bought a hardware store at Thawville, Illinois, where he remained for twenty-eight years, at the end of which time he sold the business to his sons. In 1908 he came to Lynden township, Whatcom county, and has since lived with his daughters, Mrs. Lillian Sprague and Mrs. Sarah Bruns.
In 1873 Mr. Jones was married to Miss Emma T. Hall, of Onarga, Illinois, and they became the parents of four children: William, of Thawville, Illinois, is married and has three children. Lillian, who is the widow of Arthur Sprague, lives in Lynden, in which place she located in 1905, and she is the mother of two children. Sarah is the wife of E. I. Bruns, of Lynden, and they have three children. Mrs. Bruns formerly taught school here for a number of years. E. B., of Chicago, is married and has one child. During his active years Mr. Jones took a prominent part in local public affairs in the communities where he lived, having served as a town trustee in Onarga, Illinois, for six years as a member of the board of trustees of Thawville, and for four years trustee of Ridgeland township, Iroquois county. He was long a member of the Illinois National Guard, having gone in as a lieutenant, and in 1880 was commissioned captain of the Ninth Battalion, which position he held until he left that state. At one time he was a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, having joined in 1868, but ceased to be an active member when he moved to unsettled parts of the country. During the '80s he went to Colorado to investigate some gold mining property owned by Onarga people and was in that state six months. He has always kept in close touch with the great issues of the day, on which he has held decided opinions, and his influence has always been on the right side of every moral issue. He is a man of generous and kindly impulses, friendly in his social relations and enjoys the respect and confidence of all who know him.
Mrs. Jones was a daughter of T. B. and Maria (Panzhorn) Hall, natives respectively of Hartford, Connecticut, and Worthington, Ohio. The father was born August 2, 1817, and died February 28, 1893, while the mother was born October 4, 1819, and died December 14, 1872. Her maternal grandparents were natives respectively of England and Wales.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 348-349
Jones, John X.
During his youth John X. Jones followed the hazardous occupation of a miner, contributing his share toward the development of the mineral resources of both the eastern and western sections of the United States, and in later life he has devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits, owning one of the fine ranches of Marietta township, in which he has made his home for more than thirty years. A native of Wales, he was born December 25, 1852, and his parents, William and Ellen (Hughes) Jones, were lifelong residents of that country. He received a public school education and his boyhood was spent on his father's farm.
In 1868 Mr. Jones severed home ties and as a youth of sixteen came to the new world in search of a fortune. He obtained work in the coal mines of Pennsylvania and was later employed in the coal and quartz mines of Colorado. Subsequently he was engaged in mining in the states of Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and California. He came to Washington in 1875 and for a time was connected with mining operations near Whatcom. He was foreman of a mine at Newcastle and also became a mining contractor. His work was very arduous and dangerous, and as the years passed he acquired an expert knowledge of the mining industry during the pioneer epoch in the history of the west. In 1895 he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, purchasing a large tract of land in Marietta township, and he was the third settler in his district. His property was covered with a dense growth of trees and there were no trails through the forest, which abounded in game. Undaunted by the difficult task confronting him, Mr. Jones exerted every effort to clear his land and prepare it for the sowing of seed and the growing of crops. He literally hewed a farm out of the wilderness and is today the owner of a fine ranch of two hundred acres, on which he has installed many conveniences to lessen the labor and expedite the work. His cattle are of high grade and the products of his dairy rank with the best in the township.
In 1879 Mr. Jones married Miss Annie Slater, a daughter of George and Elizabeth Slater, pioneer settlers of Ferndale, Washington, and a sister of John Slater, whose sketch is published elsewhere in this volume. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Jones, but one died in infancy and John Clifford has also passed away. Those who survive are: Ellen, who married Sylvester Curtice, a farmer and educator; Evelyn, the wife of Carl Ridderbjelke, who is operating rented land; Sidney W., at home; George Bertram, who is cultivating the home farm and has a wife and four children; Elizabeth, who is the wife of Theodore T. Hovde, who cultivates his mother-in-law's farm near Ferndale, a part of the old Slater homestead; and Margaret, at home. Mr. Jones is a republican in his political views and has been a member of the local school board. He has reached the ripe age of seventy-three years and is now living practically retired, enjoying the ease and comfort purchased by a life of industry and thrift. He has witnessed remarkable changes as the work of civilization has been carried forward in the Pacific northwest, and his conversation spans the past in interesting reminiscences.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 157
Among the pioneer citizens of Mountain View township must be numbered Meredith Jones, who has been there for thirty-five years and helped to clear and develop that section of the county. Mr. Jones came from Nebraska, where he had been farming, and on reaching Whatcom county took over a small tract of timber land on section 28 and began to clear the same, "working out" during the days and carrying on his clearing operations at night. He presently got his place started and has long been well established here, his chief attention being given to raising chickens and berries, and is doing well.
Mr. Jones was born in Exonia in the valley of the Rock river in southern Wisconsin, June 9, 1859, and is a son of John and Sarah (Evans) Jones, natives of Wales, who were married in Ohio and whose last days were spent in Wisconsin. John Jones came to this country in 1830 and was employed on the construction of the Erie canal, working west to Sandusky, Ohio. He afterward was employed in the Wisconsin lead mines and later settled at Jefferson, where he worked in the mills. He also had a small farm in that vicinity. It was thus that Meredith Jones was reared at Jefferson. In the spring of 1870, some time before he attained his majority, he went to Nebraska and preempted a quarter of a section of land in Buffalo county, settling down to make a farm out of his prairie holdings. He married there in the summer of 1884 and continued to make his home on that place until 1891, when he closed out his holding and came to Whatcom county. W. J. Morseman, one of the earlier pioneers of Whatcom county, was one of Mr. Jones' neighbors in Nebraska and his letters to the folks in the prairie state gave such glowing reports of conditions and possibilities here that several Nebraskans were induced to sellout and come to the northwest, a decision which they never have had occasion to regret. Among these is Mr. Jones. Upon his arrival here he bought a five acre tract of uncleared land not far from where Mr. Morseman had settled and he is now living there, having developed a fine property. Half of his place is devoted to his berries - raspberries, loganberries, blackberries and strawberries- and the greater part of the remainder of the place is given up to chickens, of which he now has no fewer than five hundred. Mr. Jones has another tract of twenty acres in Mountain View township and has long been recognized as one of the substantial citizens of the community in which he lives. He is a member of the Poultry Association and the local grange of the Patrons of Husbandry and has in various ways rendered public service, a former deputy assessor of Mountain View township and for years a member of the school board in his district.
On July 15, 1884, in Nebraska, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Theresa Jilg, who was born in Austria, near the line of Bohemia, and who had come to America when a child, about 1870, with her parents, Antone and Theresa (Franks) Jilg, the family settling in Nebraska, where her father became a miller. Both of Mrs. Jones' parents died in Nebraska. To Mr. and Mrs. Jones ten children have been born, namely: Clyde, now connected with the state fish hatcheries, who is married and has three children; Leslie, a deputy game warden, who also is married and has three children; Chester, who died when twenty-three years of age; Fanny, who died at the age of fourteen; Elmer, a veteran of the World war with a record of overseas service, who is now living at Soap Lake (Grant Orchard); Theresa, who married H. J. Perry of the Northwest Hardware Company, Bellingham, and has three children; Florence, who married Walter Demorest of Everett and has two children; George, who was killed in an automobile accident at Ferndale in 1923; Cecil, who is connected with the operations of the Northwest Hardware Company at Bellingham; and Luella, who is at home. Elmer, fifth child and fourth son of this interesting family, was with the Headquarters Company of the Three Hundred and Sixty-first Division of the American Expeditionary Forces in France during the World war, a musician, and his name was twice posted on the casualty list, first as having been slightly wounded in battle and then as having been gassed.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 805-806
Norway has contributed some of her best citizens to the United States - men who have here entered into the spirit of our institutions and have not only gained pecuniary independence for themselves but have also been a distinct acquisition to our population. In this review of the career of the worthy gentleman whose name appears above, the reader's attention is called to one who by a life of earnest and consecutive endeavor has won for himself the sincere respect of all who have come in contact with him. C. Jorgensen was born in Norway in 1870 and is a son of Jorgen and Margaret (Rustan) Odegaard, both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of that country, the mother, who was born March 2, 1841, dying there in 1906, while the father, who was born August 17, 1837, died in 1909. They were the parents of eight children, namely: Erick, Kari, Ragnild, C., Barget, Suneve, deceased, Gunhild, deceased, and Hanna.
C. Jorgensen attended the schools of his native land and completed his studies in the public schools of Grand Forks, North Dakota. He remained in his native country until he was sixteen years of age, when he came to the United States, locating in North Dakota, where for three or four years he was employed on farms. In 1890 he came to Sehome, Washington, where he obtained employment in shingle mills, and remained there until 1898, when he followed the gold rush to Alaska. After working in the mines there for one year, he returned to Washington, locating at Bellingham, Whatcom county, where he lived until 1901. He then returned to Norway and was married, after which he and his bride returned to this country, and he again located in Bellingham, where he built a home and went to work in the sawmills and shingle mills. After four or five years of this employment, Mr. Jorgensen bought eighty acres of land two and a half miles south of Sumas and immediately entered upon the task of clearing it of the timber and brush with which it was covered. He built a house and barn and in the course of time had the satisfaction of possessing a good, well improved farm from which he has derived a nice income, being now very comfortably situated. Thirty acres of the land are cleared and in cultivation, the remainder being devoted to pasturage. He raises good crops of hay, grain and peas, and has four and a half acres in berries, which have proven a very profitable crop. He has seven good milk cows and several head of young stock, keeps his place in good order and has a very comfortable and attractive home. The farm is eligibly located on high ground, commanding a splendid view of the Sumas valley, and is one of the most desirable homesteads in this immediate locality.
In 1902, in Norway, Mr. Jorgensen was married to Miss Sidsel T. Ellingbraatan, who was born at Nesbyen Hallingdaal, Norway, April 28, 1878, a daughter of Truls and Kari Ellingbraatan, both also natives of that country, where the father died February 7, 1918. They were the parents of six children: Barbo, Ole, Sidsel, Ingeborg, deceased, Kari and Anne. Both of Mrs. Jorgensen's parents owned farms and were people of prominence and influence in their community. To Mr. and Mrs. Jorgensen were born the following children: Jorgen, born January 6, 1903; Theodore, born April 25, 1904; Margaret, born July 29, 1905; Arthur, born July 25, 1907; Selma, born March 25, 1913; and Albert, born February 5, 1916. Mr. and Mrs. Jorgensen are earnest members of the Lutheran church at Lawrence, to which they give liberal support. Mr. Jorgensen has stamped the impress of his individuality upon the community, having always been honest in all his relations with his fellow citizens public-spirited in his support of all measures for the advancement of the public welfare and genial and kindly in his social contacts.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 221-222
Prominent in relation to our national population statistics is the fact that a remarkably large number of Norwegians and people of Norwegian descent are now living in this country. Norway is noted the world over for the industry, patience, intelligence, morality and sturdiness of its citizens. These qualities have been exemplified in the lives of the immigrants from that country, and they are now blended into our national makeup, the result being that our cosmopolitan population is the strongest and most effective in accomplishments of any nation on the earth. Of this people comes Johan Jorgensen, one of the best known and most enterprising farmers of Delta township and a man who has been an important factor in the development and prosperity of his section of the county. Mr. Jorgensen was born in Norway in April, 1878, and is a son of Jergen and Enger Johnson, both of whom have spent their lives in that country, the father having been born in1844 and the mother in 1854. Of their twelve children, nine are living, namely: Jantoft, Johan, John, Ole, Karl, Nikolai, Matilda, Marie and Anna.
Johan Jorgensen attended the public schools of his native land and then, during the greater part of the time, was engaged in the fishing business until 1904, when he emigrated to the United States. He came at once to Whatcom county and located first in Bellingham, where he lived for seven years, engaging in fishing during the summers and working in sawmills in winter. During that period he spent one year in Alaska. In 1911 he bought sixty acres of land in Delta township, a part of the old Spencer homestead, and proceeded at once to the task of clearing the tract of the stumps and brush which covered it. This has been a laborious task, but he now has twenty-five acres cleared and in cultivation, his farm being one of the valuable ranches of this locality. Mr. Jorgensen keeps six good Jersey milk cows and three hundred laying hens, from both of which sources he derives a nice income. His principal crops are hay, grain and potatoes.
Mr. Jorgensen was married, September 3, 1903, to Miss Jakobine Edwards, who was born in Norway, a daughter of Edward and Andrea Mikelsen, both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of that country, where they passed away. Of their family of ten children seven are now living, namely: Markus, Hans, Iver, Mikel, Hanna, Jakobine and Elizabeth. To Mr. and Mrs. Jorgensen have been born five children, as follows: Jennie, born October 30, 1904, who was graduated from the Lynden high school and from Wilson's Business College in Bellingham and is now employed in an insurance office in the last named place; Einar, born March 5, 1906, who is now taking the business course in high school; Jalmar, born November 9, 1911; Esther, born March 12, 1913; and Harold, born February 14, 1919. Mr. Jorgensen is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has long been deeply interested in everything pertaining in any way to the prosperity of his community, giving his active support to all measures advanced for the betterment of the public welfare. He is a man of progressive tendencies and in the management of his farm has shown that he is up-to-date and enterprising. In 1911 he built a fine house, erected a new barn in 1914 and has made a number of other permanent improvements, so that the ranch presents a very attractive appearance, indicating the owner to be a man of good judgment and excellent taste. He has been very accommodating in his relations with his neighbors, kindly and genial in his social affairs and generous in his attitude toward all worthy charitable objects. He is a man of splendid qualities of character, elements which have been recognized and appreciated by his fellow citizens, and no one in the community stands higher than he in public confidence and regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 793-794
Julien, E. P.
In almost all American communities may be found quiet, retiring men, who never ask public favors but who nevertheless have by a life of right living and honorable conduct earned the sincere regard of all who know them. In this class is E. P. Julien, one of the elderly and retired resident of the county. Mr. Julien was born at Goshen, Indiana, in 1851, and is a son of Azriah and Ann (Meyers) Julien, the former of whom was a native of North Carolina and a potter by trade, while the mother was born and reared in Indiana. After the death of his father, our subject lived with an uncle and secured his education in the public schools at Elkhart, Indiana. He then learned the trade of a mason. Subsequently he came to the coast and first located at Victoria, British Columbia, while he later came to Olympia, from which place he went to Westminster and from there to Bellingham, during all of which time he worked at the mason's trade. In 1914 Mr. Julien went to Seattle, Washington, and for about a year was connected with a fish hatchery. After that he was with a candy company, in the shipyards and in other employment for about four years, and then, in 1918, he came to his farm at Semiahmoo. He had acquired this land in 1893, when he came here and remained about four years. He has a good farm, well improved and productive, but he is now retired and is making his home with his sister-in-law, Mrs. Emma A. Morgan, near Blaine. Her brother, E. H. Bruns, also makes his home with her.
In 1883 Mr. Julien was married to Miss Wilhemina S. Bruns, who was born in Chicago, Illinois, and whose death occurred in May, 1923. to them were born four sons, namely: Ray, who lives in Los Angeles, California; Edwin Lester, of Seattle, who is married and has two children; Harrison H., of Oakland, California, who is married and has one child; and Maurice, a twin brother of the last named, and who died at the age of three years. Mr. Julien is a man of fine personal qualities and among those who know him well he is held in the highest confidence and esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 213-214
Juvet, Edmund N.
Every successful business enterprise adds to the growth and prosperity of the community in which it is operated, and through his business activities Edmund N. Juvet has promoted Ferndale's advancement along mercantile lines, while as mayor he is performing valuable service in the field of civic endeavor. He was born May 1, 1865, and comes of sturdy Norwegian stock. He was reared and educated in the Land of the Midnight Sun and in his youth responded to the call of adventure, coming to the United States. He arrived in Iowa in 1884 and spent a year in that state. He then went to Minnesota and opened a grocery store in Minneapolis, where he lived for fourteen years. He next became the proprietor of a general store at Danvers, Minnesota, and conducted the business for eight years, also acting as postmaster of the town. Mr. Juvet came to Washington in 1906 and for seven years was engaged in general merchandising at Spokane. In 1913 he located in Ferndale and purchased the Golden Rule Store, of which he has since been the owner. He is a dealer in dry goods, shoes, groceries, flour and feed and carries only high grade merchandise. He has closely studied trade conditions and is always ready to supply the demands of the public. He is content with a reasonable profit, giving to his customers good value for the amount expended, and his word is always to be relied upon. As a natural result his patronage has increased from year to year and he is now at the head of a prosperous business, systematically and efficiently conducted.
In 1892 Mr. Juvet married Miss Regina Hagen, of Swift county, Minnesota, and four children were born to them: Noel, who has a wife and a daughter and is associated with his father in business; and Obel, Henry and Inga, all of whom are at home. Mr. Juvet has taken the thirty-second degree in Masonry and is also connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Grange. He is an adherent of the republican party and puts forth every possible effort for the benefit of the community. He was a member of the town council for a number of years and since 1923 has been mayor of Ferndale. To the problems affecting the welfare and progress of Ferndale he brings the mature judgment of a practical business man, actuated by high ideals of service, and his administration has been productive of much good. His prosperity has resulted from unabating industry, directed along worthy lines, and the respect accorded him is well deserved.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 458-459