Kagey, J. H.
The life of the late J. H. Kagey was so replete with honor and duty well performed that it might well be held up as a model for the youth standing at the parting of the ways. He was of sterling old Virginia ancestry, and many of their noble traits seemed to crop out in him, rendering him a man of courage, stability of character and public spirit, whom to know was to honor and esteem, and he is well deserving of a memorial in the permanent record of his county. Mr. Kagey, whose death on May 7, 1914, was considered a distinct loss to his community, was born at Newmarket, Virginia, in the late '40s, a son of Peter and Mary M. (Nysewander) Kagey. The father was of Swiss descent and spent his entire life in Virginia, his death occurring when the subject of this sketch was but a small boy. The mother, who also spent her entire life in that state, was of German descent.
J. H. Kagey attended the public schools of his home neighborhood and then gave his attention to farming for a few years, later learning and working at the plasterer's trade. He remained in Virginia until about 1881, when he went to the northwest, spending a year in Idaho and eastern Washington. He then came to Whatcom county, locating near Blaine in 1882, and for two years was variously employed in that locality. He then came to Semiahmoo and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres, comprising the present site of the family home. During this period he worked in a mill and in other ways in order to provide a living for the family while getting his land cleared and a home established. He also homesteaded a tract east of Blaine, but never proved up on that tract. Later he bought ten acres near the present farm. The land at that time was heavily timbered, and he devoted himself to clearing about ten acres of the place, the remainder being slashed. During most of the time he lived here Mr. Kagey, in addition to the operation of his own farm, was otherwise employed, and thus always kept the family in comfortable circumstances while getting a start in his own affairs. He was a steady, industrious and hard-working man, attended strictly to his own affairs and acted the part of a good citizen, being to a commendable degree interested in the progress and prosperity of his community, and during all of the years of his identification therewith he commanded the unbounded confidence and esteem of all who knew him. Genial and kindly, he easily made friends and always retained them, being numbered among the most popular residents of this locality.
On August 1, 1888, Mr. Kagey was married to Miss Mary C. Rogers, who was born in Tama county, Iowa, a daughter of R. M. and Meribah (Stewart) Rogers, who are referred to in a review of the Rogers family on other pages of this work. To Mr. and Mrs. Kagey were born ten children: Alton W., who is married and lives in Semiahmoo, is a veteran of the World war, having been in the service as a private in the Sixth Regiment, United States Marines, for two years and one month, eighteen months of that time having been spent overseas, where he took part in the battles at Aisne and Chateau Thierry. Samuel R., who is married, lives on the Dakota creek, near Blaine; Fay, who is a minister of the Missionary Baptist church, is married and lives with his mother. Willis G., who is engaged in logging across the Canadian border, was also for two years in the United States service during the World war, spending eighteen months in France as a private in the Sixth Regiment of Marines, with which he took part in the battles of Soissons and Chateau Thierry, being wounded in the first named engagement. Leslie O., of Morrison Mill, is married and has a daughter. Jessie B. is the wife of C. A. Bartlett, of Dakota creek, and they have a son. Roy S. is at home. John R. was accidentally shot November 10, 1923. Floyd M. and James Allen are also at home. Mr. Kagey was a man of fine public spirit. He served for a number of years on the school board and was one of the early supervisors of his township. He did his full duty in all the relations of life and was eminently deserving of the fine measure of confidence and esteem which was accorded him throughout the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 881-882
Kale, Edward Stewart
Edward Stewart Kale, president of the C. S. Kale Canning Company of Everson and well known in Whatcom county, has been a resident of this section since the days of his early childhood, being a member of one of the pioneer families. There are few men in the county who have a better acquaintance with the history of the rise and progress of the now well established and flourishing community and of its development since the days when it was practically a wilderness. Born in Iowa in 1878 Mr. Kale was four years of age when in 1882 his parents, C. S. and Charlotte E. (McNeil) Kale, came to the Territory of Washington with their family and settled on a homestead farm just south of where the village of Everson came into being in 1892. The father, who died in 1920, was founder of the canning company which bears his name and was one of the substantial and progressive pioneers of the Everson neighborhood. He was also a good farmer and developed a good piece of farm property. In 1915, in association with his sons, Edward S. and Albert A. Kale, he took over the cannery that in 1913 had been established at Everson by the Nooksack Valley Fruit Growers Association and reorganized it under the firm name of the C. S. Kale Canning Company, of which company he continued the head until his death, when he was succeeded by his son, Edward S. Kale, now president of the company. The plant occupies a block (fifteen lots) in the village of Everson and is equipped in thoroughly up-to-date fashion for the business there carried on. It has an annual capacity of sixty thousand cases of canned goods, besides twelve hundred barrels of berries, and during the season as many as two hundred and fifty persons are employed in its operation. The plant is electrically driven, the best modern machinery being used to insure efficient expedition of operation, and it maintains its own railway siding. The products mainly are marketed under the popular "Nooksack" and "Everson" brands, which find a wide distribution throughout the country. A considerable portion of the output also is sent out under the trade name of dealers and distributors who buy in quantity but all have the fine quality that has created the wide demand for the products of this admirably directed cannery - one of the best in the northwest. The management of the business is in the hands of Edward S. Kale and his brother, A. A. Kale, whose continual insistence on standard quality production has done so much to popularize the products of their plant in the markets supplying a discriminating trade. The third brother of this family, Jessie A. Kale, continues to operate the old home farm and the family is well established in this county.
Edward S. Kale, as noted above, was but a child when he came into the wilderness of Whatcom county in 1882. He was reared on the home farm in the Everson neighborhood, finishing his education in the public schools under the tutelage of Professor Bradley. He early became interested in carpentering and for some years was engaged in the building trades, ten years of that time being employed outside his home community. When in 1915 the C. S. Kale Canning Company was organized he took an active part with his father and brother in the establishment of the business in Everson and has since been thus engaged, being widely known in canning circles throughout the northwest. In addition to his business he has other interests of a substantial character, including a place on the directorate of the Rockdale store, and is an influential factor in local commercial and industrial circles.
On June 16, 1904, Mr. Kale was united in marriage to Miss Lela May Fenton of the neighboring city of Blaine and they have four children, Elvin, who is now in college, Margaret, James and Mary Lou. They have a pleasant home at Everson and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the general social activities of the community. Mr. and Mrs. Kale are republicans and are properly interested in local civic affairs. Mr. Kale is a member of the Woodmen of the World.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 751-752
Kale, Jesse A.
The history of Everson's growth is inseparably associated with the record of the Kale family, whose members have rendered signal service to this locality over a period of more than forty years. The present active representative, Jesse A. Kale, is one of the leading dairymen of this section of the county and his record is a credit to the honored name he bears. He was born January 7, 1873, and is a native of Guthrie Center, Iowa. His parents were Corydon Stewart and Charlotte Elizabeth (McNeil) Kale, the former a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and the latter of the state of Massachusetts. They migrated to Iowa in an early day and the father became engaged in teaching school, also following the occupations of blacksmithing and farming. In 1882 he came to Whatcom county and preempted government land, becoming the owner of a tract on which the town of South Everson is now situated. There were very few settlers in this district, in which a wagon road had been opened, and he was confronted with the arduous task of clearing the land and preparing it for the sowing of seed and the growing of crops. He eventually transformed the place into a productive farm and with the progressive spirit of the true pioneer sought other lines of endeavor for the outlet of his energies. He embarked in the logging industry and operated the first grist mill in this locality, as well as one of the first shingle mills. He aided in starting the cannery and later established the C. S. Kale Cannery Company. A man of exceptionally keen discernment, he seemed to know intuitively when the time was ripe for the institution of a new project, and no undertaking with which he was associated ever failed to reach a successful termination. He was a stanch adherent of the republican party and acted as county commissioner, making a fine record in the office. Directing his labors into constructive channels, he wrought effectively for the good of the community and his memory is revered by all with whom he was associated.
Jesse A. Kale attended the public schools of Iowa and Washington and also completed a course in the Wilson Business College. He assisted his father in his industrial operations and at the age of twenty-seven years started out for himself, becoming a mill engineer. In 1904 he went to Alaska and for five years was connected with mining activities in that country. On the expiration of that period he returned to Everson, and after the death of his parents he purchased the home ranch, on which he has since resided. He owns a seventy acre tract, on which he has established a fine dairy, keeping a herd of pure bred Jersey and Guernsey cattle. He has installed modern equipment and his methods are practical and scientific. The buildings on the farm are large and substantial and everything about the place bears evidence of thorough, painstaking supervision.
In 1900 Mr. Kale married Miss Edith N. Wheelis, a daughter of the Rev. Isam Wheelis, one of the early Presbyterian ministers of Washington, and they have a family of seven children: Ailene, a resident of Spokane, Washington; Helen, the wife of Walter Ferchen, of Aberdeen, Washington; and Frances, Beth, Jean, Allan and Harry, all of whom are at home. Mrs. Kale is affiliated with the Presbyterian church and faithfully observes its teachings. Along fraternal lines Mr. Kale is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America, and in politics he preserves an independent attitude, regarding the qualifications of a candidate as a matter of first importance. He has witnessed notable changes as pioneer conditions have been replaced by the advantages of modern civilization, rejoicing in what has been accomplished, and his many friends in Everson speak of him in terms of high regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 123-124
There could be no more comprehensive history written of a community than that which deals with the life work of those who, by their own endeavor and indomitable energy, have placed themselves where they well deserve the title of "enterprising and progressive," and in this sketch will be found the record of one who has in every respect earned the admiration and esteem of his fellow citizens, who recognize in him the essential qualities of good citizenship. Charles Karn, whose splendid farm is located in Ferndale township, is a native son of Michigan, having been born at Goodwich, Genesee county, on the 5th of September, 1866, and is a son of Charles and Mary (Pemperene) Karn, both of whom were born and reared in Germany. The father came to the United States about 1850 and settled in Genesee county, Michigan, where he was employed at his trade, that of a cooper. His death occurred in 1886. His wife died in 1884. They had two daughters, Mrs. Sophia Hart, of eastern Washington, who is the mother of three children; Emma, Myrtle and Ola, and Mrs. Elizabeth French, now deceased, who had two children, Frank and Mary.
Charles Karn secured his educational training in the public schools of his home neighborhood and then became a sailor on the Great Lakes, following the sea for two years. In November, 1887, he came to Spokane, Washington, and during the ensuing two years he was employed in the lumber industry. He then went to Douglas county, in the Big Bend section, and took up one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he cultivated to wheat and other small grain for about seven years. At the end of that time he sold his farm and during the following two or three years was in charge of grain warehouses. In 1905 Mr. Karn came to Whatcom county and bought twenty acres in Ferndale township, the land at that time being entirely covered with brush and stumps. To the clearing of this tract he applied himself vigorously and in the course of time created a fine farm, devoting the land to the raising of grain. He is arranging to go into the chicken business, the practicability of which has been abundantly demonstrated in this locality. He is thoroughly practical in everything that he does, exercising sound judgment and discretion in all of his operations and laying his plans carefully and with wise discrimination. He is a man of fine habits, a genial and friendly disposition, generous and accommodating, and gives support to all measures for the improvement of the community in any way. Because of these commendable traits of character, he has attained an enviable place in the confidence and good will of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 657
Kaufman, Frank X.
The late Frank X. Kaufman, who was killed in an automobile accident in November, 1923, and whose widow is still living on her well kept place on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale, was a resident of this state for almost forty years and of Whatcom county for more than twenty years, and there were few men in the country who had a wider or a better acquaintance than he.
Mr. Kaufman was a native of the old Keystone state and was reared in Minnesota. He was born in Manayunk, Pennsylvania, in 1850, and was a son of Charles and Lena (Stimmler) Kaufman, both also natives of that state, who, when their son Frank was but a boy, moved with their family to Minnesota and became pioneers in Carver county, that state. It was thus that Frank Kaufman grew up on a pioneer farm not far southwest of the cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis. As a young man he made his way down the river and became located at St. Louis, where he presently was married, and for some time made his home there, later going back to Minnesota and becoming engaged in farming in Carver county. After seven years of farming there he moved west into Swift county in the Minnesota Valley country and was there engaged in farming until 1885, when he came out to the coast country and became engaged in railroad construction work in Oregon and Washington. In 1890 he brought his family here and located at Aberdeen, where he was engaged in the liquor business for something more than ten years, or until 1901, when he came to Whatcom county and became engaged in that business in Bellingham, at the same time buying the old McGinnis farm and employing men to clear and develop it. In 1913 he bought a tract of ten acres in Pleasant valley, the present home, and to this added by later purchase until he had fifty-three acres, a part of which afterward was sold, so that the home farm now consists of thirty acres. For two years Mr. Kaufman remained in business in Bellingham, and he then devoted his attention to his farming interests and also developed a good dairy business. He was actively employed along this line until he met his tragic death in a highway accident in the vicinity of Custer, November 15, 1923, he then being seventy-three years of age.
It was on June 24, 1870, in the city of St. Louis, that Mr. Kaufman was united in marriage to Miss Barbara Hammers, and to this union were born eight children, namely: Jacob, who died in childhood; Frank, now living in North Dakota; Mary, who married Harvey Phillips and is making her home with her mother; Kate, who died at the age of twenty-one years; Emma, who married P. J. Stedman and died in 1918; John, now living in California; Peter, who died in infancy; and Joseph J. Kaufman, who lives in Seattle and is engaged in the furniture business. Mrs. Mary Phillips, who resides with her mother on the old home place, has five children, namely: Barbara V., the wife of E. L. Laden; Franklin, who married Nellie Duif and has two children; Alton, a graduate of high school at Aberdeen; and Orvis and Lionel, who are in school.
Since the death of her husband Mrs. Kaufman has continued to make her home on the farm where she has resided for so many years and where she is quite comfortably situated. She is a native of Holland and was but a child when about 1857 she came with her parents, Jacob and Katherine (Wetzels) Hammers, to this country, the family locating in Minnesota, where she was reared. Mrs. Kaufman has fourteen grandchildren and five great-grandchildren, in whom she takes much pride and delight.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 302-305
Kellogg, John A.
The standing of a community depends largely upon the character of those who represent it in official capacities, and Bellingham is fortunate in securing for its chief executive a man who has so forcibly demonstrated his qualifications for the mayoralty as has John A. Kellogg. A distinguished lawyer, he has left the impress of his individuality upon the legal history of the state, and his record as a public servant and private citizen has brought additional luster to an honored name. He was born September 17, 1871, in Whatcom county, Washington, in which his parents, George A. and Mary E. (Diffenbacker) Kellogg, located in that year. They had formerly lived in Iowa, and after reaching San Francisco, California, they came to Washington by the water route. At that time no railroad had penetrated into the county, and they experienced all of the vicissitudes of frontier life. In 1874 the family went to the Golden state and later to Iowa. They next journeyed to Kansas and thence to Colorado. They returned to Washington in 1883, and the father was one of the first attorneys in Bellingham. He displayed marked skill in the solution of intricate legal problems and was highly esteemed by his professional colleagues. He practiced until the fire of 1886, when he retired from the profession. He was among the promoters of Fairhaven, now a part of Bellingham, and was among the foremost in all projects for the public good. He was auditor of Whatcom county, filling out an unexpired term, and while a resident of Iowa was elected judge of the county court of Story county. He passed away in 1902 and is survived by the mother.
After the completion of his public school course John A. Kellogg entered the University of Washington, from which he graduated in 1892. He next became a student in the law school of Northwestern University of Evanston, Illinois, and was graduated with the class of 1894. In 1897 he located at Northport, Washington, and his ability soon won recognition. He filled the position of city attorney and also enjoyed a good practice. Mr. Kellogg spent eight years in Northport and in 1905 returned to Bellingham, where he has since been engaged in general practice. His cases are prepared with thoroughness, precision and skill and each year has recorded a marked increase in his clientele.
In 1899 Mr. Kellogg married Miss Philathea Atkins, of Denver, Colorado, and in 1900 their union was abruptly severed by her death. In 1908 he married Miss Nellie J. McBride, a daughter of John A. and Katherine (Bartruff) McBride. They were among the early settlers of Bellingham, and many examples of Mr. McBride's work as a carpenter and builder are still to be found in the city. Mr. and Mrs. Kellogg have two children: John Albert, who was born in October, 1909, and is attending high school; and Mary Katherine, who was born May 20, 1915.
Along fraternal lines Mr. Kellogg is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Woodmen of the World. He is a director of the Northwestern National Bank and the New Whatcom Building & Loan Association, and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He was called to the state legislature in 1904 and took his seat in that law-making body in 1905. He gave earnest consideration to all questions brought before the house and his support of a measure was an indication of his firm belief in its value as a factor in good government. He was appointed judge of the superior court of Whatcom county in 1907 and in 1908 was elected to that office, which he filled until January, 1913. His comprehensive legal learning and wide experience in the courts, the patient care with which he ascertained all the facts bearing upon every case brought before him, gave his decisions a solidity and exhaustiveness to which no member of the bar could take exception, and the fairness of his rulings proved his moral worth. In December, 1923, Judge Kellogg was the popular choice for mayor of Bellingham, and he was reelected in December, 1925. His work in the office has met with widespread approval, being directed at all times by a loyal and sincere regard for the people's interest. He has a high conception of duty and honor and his life has been fraught with the accomplishment of much good.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 476-477
Unfailing energy and mental alertness are an executive's chief requisites, and possessing these qualities, Joseph Kemphaus has become a leading factor in the promotion of the dry goods trade in Bellingham, in which he has made his home for many years. A son of Bernard and Mary Kemphaus, he was born in 1874 and is a native of Kentucky. He received a public school education and began his business career in Cincinnati, Ohio, as a clerk in the employ of the firm of H. & S. Pogue with which he was identified for ten years. He was next associated with the Ypsilanti Underwear Company, which he represented for five years in the capacity of traveling salesman, covering the territory from St. Louis, Missouri, to the Atlantic coast and thence proceeding to New Orleans, Louisiana, while he also journeyed through Michigan and Iowa.
On severing his relations with that corporation Mr.Kemphaus came to Bellingham and for five years was connected with the firm of Montague & McHugh, general merchants. On October 1, 1910, he opened a general store at No. 1323 Commercial street, occupying one floor and having a frontage of twenty-five feet. In April 1911, he purchased the business of Kauffman Brothers at Nos. 206-8 West Holly street and in 1919 erected an addition fifty-five by one hundred and twenty-five feet at Nos. 209-11 Commercial street. The store on West Holly street is fifty by one hundred and ten feet in dimensions, and the firm sells dry goods and ladies' ready-to-wear garments. Employment is furnished to twenty-eight people, and the business is the second largest of the kind in Bellingham. It was incorporated in 1910 and is controlled by the following officers: W. B. Gray, president; Mrs. Mary M. Kemphaus, vice president; and Joseph Kemphaus, secretary, treasurer and manager. Mr. Kemphaus closely supervises every detail of the business, directing its larger phases with marked sagacity and executive force, and his labors have been followed by gratifying results. He has always regarded satisfied customers as the best advertisement and the steady growth of the trade is indicative of the quality of service rendered to patrons of the house.
In August, 1905, Mr. Kemphaus married Miss Mary Mallahan, of South Bellingham, and they have two sons, Joseph, Jr., and Jack. Mrs. Kemphaus is a capable business woman and her advice and assistance have been of material benefit to the firm. Mr. Kemphaus gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and is a faithful communicant of the Catholic church. He is a Knight of Columbus and also belongs to the local lodge of Elks. He is connected with the Kiwanis and Country Clubs of Bellingham and is one of the enthusiastic members of the Chamber of Commerce. He lends the weight of his support to every worthy civic project and stands deservedly high in the esteem of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 784
Kennedy, William George
William George Kennedy, who died at his home in Bellingham, April 9, 1925, was born in Canterbury, England, December 6, 1871, and was thus in his fifty-fourth year at the time of his death. He was reared in his home town, became an expert gardener and there remained until 1911, when he went to British Columbia and engaged in the nursery business at Nelson. Not long afterward he moved to Calgary and in 1922 came to the United States and after a brief residence at Eugene, Oregon, removed to Bellingham and in partnership with is wife and the latter's sister, Miss Honor Clohessy, bought the old Sehome Hotel and engaged in the hotel business here until his death. Mr. Kennedy was twice married and by his first wife, who died in England, was the father of four children, three of whom, son, Cecil, William and Harold, all residents of British Columbia, survive. All these sons are married and have families of their own.
On July 4, 1919, at Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mr. Kennedy was united in marriage to Miss Adelia Clohessy, who survives him and who with her sister, Miss Honor Clohessy, is now operating the Sehome Hotel, which they have converted into a family hotel and apartment house. The hotel was established in 1892 and has about one hundred rooms. The Kennedys bought it from J. M. Tally and it has since been converted into an apartment house, with more than thirty apartments, one of the most popular apartment houses and family hotels in the northwest, even as the hotel is one of the oldest in this section. Mrs. Kennedy and her sister are natives of Ireland but have been residents of this country since their girlhood days. Mrs. Kennedy's education was finished in St. Mary's Academy at Portland and in the University of Oregon, from which latter institution she was graduated (A. B.) and then engaged in teaching in the Portland schools. She later took a special course in the Holy Name Normal School and prior to her marriage had engaged in teaching in high schools in Spokane, New York city, Calgary, Eugene, Oregon, and in Okanagua College in British Columbia, her specialty being Latin and English. Miss Honor Clohessy finished her school work in the Business College in Portland and became engaged in secretarial work, her first position being with the staff of the Lewis and Clark Exposition, for which service she was awarded a diploma attesting her efficiency. When the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition later was held at Seattle she also rendered secretarial service in that connection. The board of Multnomah county commissioners at Portland secured her services and she was made secretary of that commission, a position she occupied for eight years or until her resignation in 1921 and later became a partner in the Kennedy's enterprise of taking over the old Sehome Hotel at Bellingham, which place has since been her residence. Mrs. Kennedy and Miss Clohessy are members of the Roman Catholic church.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 453-454
Kenney, James E.
James E. Kenney is a successful merchant and for more than a quarter of a century has been engaged in the meat business at Deming. He was born November 18, 1877, and is a native of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. His parents, W. T. and Annie M. (Kline) Kenney, migrated to Whatcom county in 1897 and the father purchased a tract of sixty-five acres in Deming township. He zealously applied himself to the arduous task of removing the timber from his land, and his labors were terminated by death in 1899. The mother subsequently remarried, becoming the wife of J. G. Brooks, and still lives on the homestead.
James E. Kenney attended the public schools of his native state and also completed a course in a business college. He accompanied the family on the journey to the Pacific coast, being at that time a young man of twenty, and worked for some time in the lumber woods of Whatcom county. In 1904 he invested his savings in the meat business, purchasing an interest in a market at Deming, and after his partner died was joined by M. D. Macaulay, with whom he has been associated since 1908. They control the Independent Meat Company, which they formed, and this is the only organization of the kind in the town. They handle the best grade of meat and through honest dealing, wise management and unfailing courtesy have established a large trade.
In 1902 Mr. Kenney married Miss Nellie E. Van Curen, a native of Iowa, and they have two daughters: Edith, a successful educator; and Hazel, who is a student at Pullman College and is also preparing for the profession of teaching. Mr. Kenney is an adherent of the republican party and has been a member of the school board for several years, taking a keen interest in educational matters. He was township supervisor for several years, and his influence is always on the side of measures of reform, progress and improvement. Along fraternal lines he is identified with the Knights of Pythias and Bellingham Lodge, No. 194, of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and his wife is one of the Rebekahs. Mr. Kenney has discharged every duty and obligation in life to the best of his ability and has won as his reward the respect and good will of his fellowmen as well as a substantial measure of financial success.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 640
Throughout an active and interesting career duty has ever been the motive of action with Ed Kenoyer, one of the early settlers and well known farmers of Ten Mile township, and usefulness to his community has by no means been a secondary consideration with him. Thus strong and forceful in his relations with his fellowmen, he has gained the good will and commendation of his associates and the general public, retaining a reputation for integrity and high character.
Mr. Kenoyer is a native of Indiana, born in 1869, and is a son of John and Emmeline (West) Kenoyer, who were pioneer settlers of the Hoosier state. The family came to Washington in March, 1884, and located in Ten Mile township, Whatcom county, having come by boat from Portland to Seattle, and then to Bellingham. The subjects uncle, Henry Kenoyer, had preceded them to Ten Mile township and here, in section 15, the father homesteaded a tract of land. The subject and his father walked out to the place from Bellingham, Mr. Nolte hauling their goods over the old Telegraph road. The original timber stood on the land, and, as they found it impossible to sell the timber and shingle bolts, they were compelled to burn them. They built a small log cabin, in which the family lived during their first years here. In that same year the subject's father and uncle bought a small sawmill, the first in the township, and set it up, and thereafter they were able to utilize much of the best of the timber. Wild game was plentiful, as were native pheasants, so that their table did not lack for fresh meat, while fishing also was good. After running the mill until 1890, John Kenoyer sold his interest therein to his brother and devoted his attention solely to the improvement and development of the farm, which he sold after getting a portion of it cleared. Thereafter he followed the sawmill business during the greater part of his remaining days, his death occurring in 1919.
Ed Kenoyer attended the public schools in Indiana and completed his studies in the Ten Mile school. He remained with his father until about 1905, when he located on his present farm, about forty acres of which he has cleared and in cultivation. He is devoting his attention mainly to dairy and poultry farming, in both of which lines he has met with excellent success, being now numbered among the prosperous farmers of his locality. He keeps thoroughbred Ayrshire cattle and his fertile fields produce an abundance of hay and grain. He is progressive and up-to-date in his methods and does well whatever he undertakes, so that he has gained a fine reputation among his fellow agriculturists.
In April, 1900, Mr. Kenoyer was married to Miss Minnie Bentley, who was born in Kansas, a daughter of David and Edith (Boyer) Bentley, both of whom were natives of Illinois, and the former of whom died in Kansas in 1880. After his death, his widow became the wife of John F. Shettler, who brought his family to Whatcom county in 1882, and they now live on the northwest road. They came by way of Bellingham, from which place they hired an Indian to paddle them up the Nooksack river to Ferndale. After a few months there, they came to Ten Mile township, at what was called Yeager, where Mr. Shettler took up a homestead. With Mrs. Kenoyer came two brothers: Nathan, who now lives in Bellingham; and Charles of Ten Mile township. To Mr. and Mrs. Kenoyer have been born two children: Hazel, who is attending the State Normal School at Bellingham; and Duayne, who is in high school. Mr. Kenoyer has taken an active interest in local public affairs and has served for four years as a member of the township board. Fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He is the record of a well balanced mental and moral constitution, strongly influenced by those traits of character which are ever of special value in a progressive state of society. He takes an active part in all efforts to advance the farmers' interests, being a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association, and throughout the community he commands confidence and respect.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 277-278
Kenoyer, J. W.
The activities of J. W. Kenoyer are part of the indissoluble chain which links the annals of the past to the latter-day period of progress and prosperity, and the history of Whatcom county would not be complete without reference to the long like he has lived and the success he has achieved as an earnest, courageous laborer in one of the most important fields of endeavor, agriculture. J. W. Kenoyer was born in Indiana, on the 22d of April, 1856, and is a son of Henry and Mary E. (Sutton) Kenoyer, also natives of the old Hoosier state. Both are now deceased, the father dying in 1915 and the mother in 1919. Henry Kenoyer with his family moved from Indiana to Kansas in 1872 and took up a homestead, on which he carried on farming operations until 1888, when he came to Whatcom county, Washington, where the father and two sons each took up a homestead. They remained here, cleared the land and put it under cultivation. They built the first road from Ferndale to Laurel, and also ran a small sawmill for ten or fifteen years.
In 1905 J. W. Kenoyer sold his Laurel ranch and went to Eugene, Oregon, buying one hundred and twenty acres of land, on which he lived for five years, at the end of which time he went to Florence, Oregon. After a year he returned to Whatcom county and bought ten acres of land on the Blaine highway, which he cleared and has developed into a good farm, carrying on general agricultural pursuits and realizing a fine measure of prosperity, which he has richly deserved. He keeps several cows and has made a number of permanent and substantial improvements on the place. Mr. Kenoyer also own fifteen acres near Laurel. The home place is now being operated by his son, William, whose wife keeps house for the family. Mr. Kenoyer has been a witness of and a participant in the splendid development of this locality and tells many interesting reminiscences of the early days here, when practically all the land was covered with forest and brush, when good roads were practically unknown and when the conveniences of the present day were not dreamed of. He is public-spirited and lends his support to any cause that has for its ultimate object the betterment of his locality along material, civic or moral lines. He has been a prominent factor in the advancement of many measures which have directly benefited the locality and, because of his active and useful life, his fine character and his kindly and generous disposition, he has justly earned the enviable place which he occupies in the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
In 1875 Mr. Kenoyer was married to Miss Emma Allen, a native of Illinois. To them were born four children, namely: Mrs. Myrtle Kilgore, deceased, who had three children, John, Charles and Pearl; Bert, deceased, who was married and had a son, Alvin; Mrs. Susie Pinkey, who is the mother of a son, Clifford; William, who was married to Miss Ida Buckley, who was born at Marietta, Whatcom county, and they have three children, Patricia, born March 17, 1917, and Iva and Eva, twins, born June 28, 1919.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 834-835
Keyes, Marion A.; M.D.
Dr. Marion A. Keyes, formerly a successful lawyer, is now a highly esteemed member of the medical fraternity of Blaine and has also done important work in the field of public service. He was born december 15, 1879, in Mayville, New York, and is a son of Marion A. and Catherine (Burnett) Keyes. The father was engaged in merchandising in the Empire state until 1918, when he retired from business and has since made his home in Bellingham, Washington.
After the completion of his public school course, Dr. Keyes entered Cornell University, from which he won the degree of L.L.B. in 1900, and in the same year located in Blaine, Washington. He devoted his energies to the legal profession until 1906, practicing for a time in Ferndale, and then became a medical student at the University of Buffalo, from which he was graduated with the class of 1910. For a year he was an intern of the Erie County Hospital at Buffalo and then opened an office in Clymer, New York, where he was engaged in the practice of medicine for about seven years. He returned to Blaine in the spring of 1918 and has since established a large general practice. He is a surgeon in the United States Public Health Service, city health officer and local surgeon for the Great Northern Railroad Company. He is well versed in the science of his profession and has successfully performed many difficult operations.
In 1911 Dr. Keyes married Miss Ann E. Stringer, of Toronto, Canada, and they have two children: Marion and William. The doctor is an adherent of the republican party and conscientiously discharges the duties of citizenship. He has served on the school board and in 1925 was elected mayor of Blaine for a term of two years. He is progressive in his ideas and every effort to raise the moral, intellectual or material standards of the community receives his hearty support. He is a Scottish Rite Mason and is also connected with the Eastern Star and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. An earnest student, he is constantly striving to perfect himself in his profession and keeps in close touch with its onward trend through his affiliation with the Whatcom County and Washington State Medical Societies and the American Medial Association. Realizing the importance of his mission, he is never neglectful of his patients, and his fellow practitioners as well as the general public speak of him in terms of the highest respect.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 619