Daniel Kilcup, Harry West and George Rehberger: These three men were products of the Fraser River Gold Rush, and afterward were associated in various occupations around New Westminster and Ft. Langley (Canada). Previously, George Rehberger had been with the boundary survey. All three married halfbreed sisters who were of the old Feledow family that settled at Ft. Langley about 1845, and were servants of the Hudson's Bay Company. Harry West and George Rehberger cam over to Whatcom about 1862 to work for the Bellingham Bay Coal Company, West as a millwright, and Rehberger as a carpenter.
Later, in 1863, they persuaded Daniel Kilcup to bring over his two yoke of oxen to haul logs for the sawmill at Whatcom Creek Falls. He drove these oxen over the old Indian trails from Ft. Langley to Nooksack Crossing, and thence by the Whatcom Trail to Bellingham Bay. When the coal mines closed down sometime afterwards, these three men set out to locate homesteads. Now Kilcup, when he came over the old Langley trail, had noticed a considerable piece of prairie land in what has since been called the Timon District, so they explored that section and decided to settle there. This was in the late sixties. For some time all three men continued to work in Whatcom, but in 1873, when the mill burned down, Kilcup moved his family to the homestead, followed by the Wests and Rehbergers in 1878, after the coal mines closed permanently. These three families formed the nucleus of the Timon community.
Skqee Mus, R. E. Hawley, pub. 1945, pgs. 178-179
Kincaid, Gilbert P.
Gilbert P. Kincaid is a member of one of Bellingham's prominent families and is widely and favorably known as clerk of Whatcom county, measuring up in full to the requirements of the office. He was born January 23, 1882, in Ursa, Illinois, and is a son of James W. and Melissa (Clair) Kincaid, natives of Pennsylvania. They were among the early settlers of Illinois and migrated from that state to Washington, reaching Bellingham on the 2d of May, 1902. The father was engaged as a contractor and builder for some time and then turned his attention to mercantile affairs. He was successful in the venture and has long been numbered among the leading florists of the city. The mother of our subject died in August, 1925.
The public schools of Illinois afforded Gilbert P. Kincaid his educational advantages, and when twenty years of age he became a mill worker. The occupation proved uncongenial, and soon afterward he was made a member of the reportorial staff of the Bellingham Reveille. Late he read copy for the Post-Intelligencer of Seattle and on his return to Bellingham resumed his activities as a reporter. He was thus engaged for two years and on January 1, 1915, was appointed deputy clerk of Whatcom county. He was elected county clerk in the fall of 1921 for a term of four years and since January 1, 1922, has filled the office, discharging his duties in a thoroughly satisfactory manner.
On July 15, 1908, Mr. Kincaid married Miss Bernice Hope, a daughter of John Hope, one of the honored pioneers of Whatcom county. He came to this district in 1865 and first worked in the coal mines. Later he entered a homestead claim and through arduous labor cleared the land and prepared the soil for the growing of crops, eventually becoming the owner of a valuable ranch. In his youth he followed a seafaring life and was a sailor on a British man-of-war, later transferring his allegiance to the United States. He died at the ripe old age of eighty-four years, December 20, 1925, and from the storehouse of memory he used to relate many interesting anecdotes of frontier life. Mr. and Mrs. Kincaid have two children, Hope and Donald Preston, aged respectively twelve and nine years. Mr Kincaid votes the republican ticket and is a stanch adherent of the party. He gives his undivided attention to his public duties and his service has been marked by that singleness of purpose so essential to success in all lines of endeavor. He has thoroughly demonstrated his worth and has many friends in Bellingham and throughout the county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 556
Kindall, Joseph William
Joseph William Kindall, a veteran of the World war, has long been a prominent figure in professional circles of Bellingham and enjoys an enviable reputation as a legal practitioner. He was born July 6, 1878, in Clarinda, Iowa, and is a son of Azariah and Stella (Bloss) Kindall, the former of whom is also a successful lawyer. The mother is deceased. Joseph W. Kindall received his higher education in the University of Iowa, from which he was graduated in 1900 with the A. B. degree, and in 1901 that institution conferred upon him the degree of LL. B. He began his professional career at Onawa, Iowa, in which he spent three years, and in July, 1904, came to Bellingham, where he has since resided. For four years he was a member of the law firm of Black, Kindall & Kenyon, and in 1908 he was appointed assistant county attorney. He next filled a clerical position in the offices of Newman & Howard and in the fall of 1912 became a member of the firm, which is now known as Howard & Kindall. This is regarded as one of the strongest legal combinations in the city and their practice is extensive and important.
While attending the University of Iowa, Mr. Kindall was active in military affairs, in which he became more deeply interested as he advanced in years. He joined the National Guard of Iowa and in 1916 formed the Ninth Company of Coast Artillery of the Washington National Guard, which company won the United States championship with six-inch rifles. In 1917 Mr. Kindall was sent to Fort Casey, Washington, as adjutant and later was made commander of the fort. As a captain he went to France in February, 1918, with the American Expeditionary Force and remained in Europe until February, 1919, receiving his honorable discharge in April of that year.
In 1909 Mr. Kindall married Miss Zoe Stangroom, a daughter of Mark L. Stangroom, of Bellingham, and they have two children, Josephine and Jane. A prominent Mason, Mr. Kindall has taken the thirty-second degree in Bellingham Consistory of the Scottish Rite, and he is also identified with the Mystic Shrine and the local lodge of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He aided in organizing Bellingham Post of the American Legion and has served as its commander. He belongs to the Country Club and his interest in municipal progress is indicated by his affiliation with the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Kindall casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party and conscientiously discharges the duties of citizenship, measuring up to high standards in every relation of life.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 489
King, Jack W.
Jack W. King, manager of the Bellingham branch of the Dundee Woolen Mills & Tailoring Company of Seattle, is a merchant tailor of long experience and is a well established factor in the commercial activities of the city of Bellingham, being widely known throughout the county. He is a native of the Lone Star state but is a resident of this section of the great northwest country by choice and inclination. Mr. King was born in the city of Belton, county seat of Bell county, in central Texas, July 19, 1889, and is a son of James and Viola (Griswold) King, the former of whom died in 1916 and the latter of whom is still living in Texas.
Reared in his native state, Jack W. King was educated in the schools of his home town and in the Massey Business College at Houston, from which institution he was graduated. He early became interested in the tailoring business and presently opened a tailoring establishment at Anson, the county seat of Jones county, Texas. After a while he moved from there to Wichita Falls, and thence into Colorado, and he was living at Walsenburg in the latter state when in 1917 he was inducted into the army, being stationed at Camp Lewis when in November, 1918 the World war came to an end. Upon the completion of his military service Mr. King came to Washington, and on April 15, 1919, he entered the employ of the Dundee Woolen Mills & Tailoring Company at Seattle. He was connected with the general office of that concern in that city until in June, 1922, when he was installed as manager of the Bellingham branch of this widely represented tailoring concern, which has no fewer than two hundred retail stores in the United States, and he has since been a resident of Bellingham, being one of the well established merchants of the city.
On March 30, 1919, in Seattle, Mr. King was united in marriage to Miss Ella Graham, a daughter of J. H. Graham of that city, and they are pleasantly situated in Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 55
King, Louis W.
Among the well known ranchers of Mountain View township is numbered Louis W. King, a scientific agriculturist and a young man of progressive ideas. He was born in Pomona, Kansas, in 1898, and is a son of William N. and Almetta (Warman) King. The father arrived in Bellingham, Washington, in 1908 and a year later became the owner of a forty acre tract in Mountain View township. Through patience and industry he accomplished the arduous task of clearing the place and preparing the soil for the production of crops. He resided on the property until 1919, when he purchased four acres of land in the vicinity of Ferndale and is now devoting he attention to the raising of poultry. The mother passed away in 1904, while the family was living in Kansas.
Louis W. King was ten years of age when his father came to Whatcom county, and his early education was acquired in the public schools of Mountain View township. He remained at home until 1918, aiding in the work of plowing, planting and harvesting, and then enlisted in the United States navy, serving for three months during the World war. He afterward entered the Washington State College of Agriculture and was graduated with the class of 1923. He is now renting his father's ranch and brings to its operation an intelligent, open and liberal mind and a comprehensive grasp of everything relating to the occupation of farming. His work is carefully planned and systematically conducted. He keeps a fine herd of Guernsey cattle for dairy purposes and is rapidly coming to the fore in his chosen line of activity.
In 1921 Mr. King married Miss Retah Schell, a native of Idaho, in which state her parents, Charles and Emma (Burnett) Schell, were married. The latter was a native of Wyoming and the father was born in Pennsylvania. The Burnett family were among the early settlers of Wyoming and later migrated to Idaho. Mr. and Mrs. Schell journeyed from Idaho to Washington, locating first in Everett, and then came to Whatcom county. In association with his father Mr. Schell purchased a tract of forty acres in Mountain View township and his father Mr. Schell purchased a tract of forty acres in Mountain View township and brought the land to a high state of development, subsequently selling the property. To Mr. and Mrs. King has been born a son, Louis W., Jr. Mr. King is not allied with any political faction and votes according to the dictates of his judgment, supporting the candidate whom he deems best qualified for office. He belongs to the American Legion and is also a member of the Grange and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, as well as of Alpha Gamma Rho, a college fraternity. A young man of enterprise and ability, he keeps in close touch with all new developments along agricultural lines, and concentrated effort is carrying him steadily toward the goal of success.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 917-918
Kingsley, Byron N.
Those forces which have contributed most toward the upbuilding and progress of Blaine have received marked impetus from the constructive labors of Byron N. Kingsley, who has been the leading spirit in important development projects and who is now li8ving retired, having reached the age of seventy years. he was born at Spring Valley, Minnesota, in 1856, and was a youth of fifteen when his parents, Solomon C. and Catherine Kingsley, came to Whatcom county. They arrived in Blaine on the 22d of February, 1871, and were among the first settlers in this locality. They established their home in the midst of the forest, and the father died a year later. With courageous spirit the mother endured the privations and hardships of frontier life, exerting every effort to provide for her family, and entered a homestead, on which she proved up. After years of unceasing industry the land was transformed into a fertile tract and many improvements were added to the place, on which the south part of the town of Blaine is now situated. A fine type of the western pioneer, Mrs. Kingsley possessed a strong and forceful character as well as many tender and womanly qualities which made her greatly beloved, and her demise on the 10th of February, 1898, was deeply regretted. She had become the mother of three children: Emma, deceased; Byron N.; and Hattie, who has also passed away.
Byron N. Kingsley received a public school education and after his father's death aided in providing for the family. His energies were devoted to the work of plowing, planting and harvesting, and in the operation of the homestead he utilized practical, systematic methods, productive of excellent results. In 1889 he subdivided the ranch and the property was sold for homesites in what is known as the Kingsley addition. He was one of the organizers of the First National Bank, of which he became a director, but the financial panic of 1891 proved disastrous to the institution and the business was discontinued. He also aided in building the dock, and he has been among the foremost in every project for civic growth and betterment.
In 1883 Mr. Kingsley was united in marriage to Miss Annie Henspeter, also of pioneer stock. Her parents, Henry and Dorothy (Herbert) Henspeter, came to Washington and located on Fidelgo island, near the present site of Anacortes, in 1870. A year later Mr. Henspeter moved to Birch bay and bought a claim there, eventually transforming it into a productive farm, and at that place spent the remainder of his life. He had a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters.
Mr. Kingsley is a stanch adherent of the republican party, and while a member of the town council he was instrumental in securing many needed public improvements. he has watched with deep interest the progress of civilization in this section of the county and is regarded as an authority on matters pertaining to its history. He is rounding out a long and useful career in the enjoyment of comforts purchased by years of honest toil, and his daily life records the esteem in which he is held.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 589
Kingsley, Peter Henry
For more than a quarter of a century members of the Kingsley family have contributed toward the agricultural development of Lawrence township, and the record of Peter Henry Kingsley creditably sustains the traditions of an honored name. He was born June 17, 1887, in the state of Nebraska, and his parents, Hans P. and Carrie Kingsley, were natives of Norway. They came to the United States about the year 1870 and established their home in Chicago, in which the father followed the tailor's trade for several years. In 1886 they migrated to Nebraska and in 1892 came to northwestern Washington. For a few years Hans P. Kingsley worked in sawmills at Bellingham and about 1900 purchased land in Lawrence township. This place he later sold and bought another tract of forty acres in the township. He cleared a portion of the property and devoted the remainder of his life to the cultivation and improvment of the ranch. He was a man of importance in his community and established an enviable reputation as a public servant, becoming successively a member of the school board, township supervisor and road supervisor. His useful and upright career was terminated in 1920, and his widow is now a resident of La Conner, Washington.
Peter H. Kingsley attended the public schools of Bellingham and at the early age of thirteen became a wage earner, securing work in a shingle mill. He was afterward employed along various lines, and in 1918 he responded to the call to arms, spending three months in the service of his country. After his discharge he again worked in shingle mills and in 1920 bought ten acres of land in Lawrence township. He has a good dairy on his place and is also engaged in the poultry business. He believes in scientific methods and his work is performed with system and thoroughness.
In 1916 Mr. Kingsley was united in marriage to Miss Anna Marie Helgesen, a daughter of Ole and Haaga Helgesen, who left their home in Norway and sought the opportunities of the United States. The mother has passed away and Mr. Helgesen now resides with the subject of this sketch. Mr. Kingsley is a member of the Whatcom County Associations of Poultrymen and Dairymen and keeps in close touch with all new developments in connection with these industries. He is a young man of self-reliant nature, endowed with intelligence and enterprise, and the respect accorded him is well deserved.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 726
Kinsey, John H.
The record of John H. Kinsey contains no exciting chapters but is characterized by well defined purposes, which, carried to successful issue, have won for him an influential place and a high standing among his fellow citizens. His life has been one of unceasing industry, and the systematic and honorable methods which he has followed have resulted not only in gaining the confidence of those with whom he has had dealings but also in the advancement of his individual affairs. Mr. Kinsey was born in Wisconsin on the 27th of June, 1872, and is a son of Richard and Ann (Hull) Kinsey, both of whom were natives of England, and whose marriage occurred before they came to the United States. Richard Kinsey came to this country in 1870, locating in Wisconsin, where he lived until 1876, when he went to Fillmore county, Nebraska, where he homesteaded eighty acres of land and established his permanent home.
John H. Kinsey received his education in the public schools of Nebraska, and in 1889, when seventeen years of age, he came to Bellingham, Whatcom county; but he found hard times prevailing here and soon went back to Nebraska. From there he went to northwestern Missouri and thence to South Dakota, in 1893, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Lyman county, it being a part of the Great American desert. The woman who became his wife had also homesteaded a tract of land near him, and after their marriage they lived there several years, proving up on their land. In 1909 Mr. Kinsey again came to Bellingham and obtained employment in a grocery store, where he remained about two and a half years. He then went to Kickerville, Mountain View township, where he spent two years in the logging camps, at the end of which time, in 1914, he moved onto a twenty acre tract which he had bought near his present farm. He still owns that place, which he "slashed" and burned, and which is now devoted mainly to pasturage. In 1919 he bought forty acres, comprising his present home, and he has cleared fifteen acres of this land. He devotes his attention principally to dairying and the chicken business, keeping six good grade cows and about five hundred laying hens of the White Leghorn variety and the Hollywood and Tancred strains. He has been very successful in his operations since going into business on his own account and is now very comfortably situated. He has made some splendid improvements on his far, which is now considered a very desirable property.
Mr. Kinsey has been twice married, first in 1896, to Miss Lula Ray, who was born and reared in northwestern Missouri and whose death occurred in 1901, having lost three children. In 1905 he was married to Miss Lula L. Phelps, a native of Kansas and a daughter of Spencer and Lula Phelps, the former of whom is still living in Kansas. Mrs. Phelps was a first cousin of Jay Gould. To Mr. and Mrs. Kinsey have been born seven children, namely: Eben, Hazel, Levia, Verna, Harold, Evelyn and Gerald. Mr. Kinsey has evinced a commendable interest in the public affairs of his community, giving his support to all measures for the advancement of the public welfare, and by his consistent life and genial and kindly attitude toward all with whom he comes in contact he has earned a high place in the confidence and good will of his fellow citizens throughout the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 178-179
Kirkman, Oliver Alfred
It is signally consonant that in this work should be incorporated at least a brief resume of the career of Oliver Alfred Kirkman, one of the influential and successful citizens of Nooksack township. A man of forceful individuality and marked initiative power, he is well equipped for the large duties of life and for leadership in his community, while his probity of character and genial personality have gained for him an enviable standing among his fellow citizens. Mr. Kirkman was born on the old Kirkman homestead at Clearbrook on the 7th of September, 1884, and is a son of Arthur and Agnes (Perry) Kirkman, the former a native of Liverpool, England, and the latter born in Glasgow, Scotland.
Arthur Kirkham came to the United States in 1855, and his wife came to this country in the previous year, both locating in the state of Illinois, where they met and were married. Mr. Kirkman was a farmer, which pursuit he followed in that state until 1878, when he came to Washington, locating at Sehome, then a hamlet of three families, but which is now the thriving city of Bellingham. Later he went to old Nooksack Crossing, where he remained about a year, at the end of which time he bought a relinquishment right three miles north of Everson and later preempted one hundred and sixty acres of land near by. He immediately entered upon the task of creating a home here, building a small log cabin, and then began clearing the land. He developed a good homestead and spent practically the remainder of his life here, dying on the 30th of September, 1908. His death followed closely that of his wife, who had passed away on the 4th of the same month. The log cabin which he first built was destroyed by fire about ten years after it was built and was replaced by a comfortable and commodious hewed-log house. To Mr. and Mrs. Kirkman were born seven children, namely: Edward, deceased, William, Mrs. Alice Goodwin, Arthur, Robert A., Andrew and Oliver A.
Oliver A. Kirkman attended the Clearbrook district school, went one year to the Bellingham public schools and had one year of high school work. He then helped his father in the operation of the home farm until his marriage, in 1914, when he located on ninety-five acres of his father's farm, to which he has since closely devoted himself. He is well equipped for his life work and has proven himself an up-to-date and progressive farmer. He has made many substantial improvements on the place, including the erection of a commodious barn in 1910, and attractive and well arranged house in 1914 and a silo in 1920. He has cleared about thirty-five acres of the land, on which he is producing splendid crops of hay and grain. He keeps eight good Holstein milk cows and a fine flock of laying hens, and he is numbered among the prosperous and substantial farmers of this locality.
Mr. Kirkman was married, January 6, 1914, to Miss Elsie Terveer, who was born in Minnesota, a daughter of Benjamin and Lucy (Libby) Terveer, the latter of whom also was a native of that state. Mr. Terveer was born and reared in Germany, where he lived until some time in the '80s, when he came to the United States. He settled in Minnesota, where he bought a farm, to which he devoted his energies until 1904, when he came to the Nooksack valley, Whatcom county, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, two miles north of Everson and about one-third of which was cleared. He now has practically the entire tract cleared and has developed the place into a fine farm, on which he is still living. He made many improvements, including a substantial and attractive set of farm buildings. To him and his wife were born two children: Elsie (Mrs. Kirkman) and Mrs. Susie Rapson, who died December 12, 1924. To Mr. and Mrs. Kirkman have been born five children, namely: Bernard, born December 12, 1914; Gladys, born August 4, 1917; Alice, born October 30, 1920; Winona, born October 7, 1922; and Forest, born December 1, 1924.
Mr. Kirkman is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association, while fraternally he is a member of Bellingham Tent No. 1, Knights of the Maccabees. He has taken a good citizen's interest in the public affairs of his locality and served for three years as assessor of Nooksack township. Because of his success, high character, public spirit and genial disposition, he enjoys the confidence and good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 363-364
Kirkman, Robert A.
The study of the life of the representative American never fails to offer much of interest, demonstrating a mastering of obstacles which has brought about most wonderful results. Robert A. Kirkman is a worthy representative of that type of American character and of that progressive spirit which promotes public good while advancing individual prosperity, and it is a compliment worthily bestowed to say that his community is honored by his citizenship. He was born in Peoria county, Illinois, on the 14th of December, 1877, and is a son of Arthur and Agnes (Perry) Kirkman, the latter of whom was born in Glasgow, Scotland. The father, who was born in Liverpool, England, came to the United States in 1855, locating in Illinois, to which state had come the year previous the woman who later became his wife. He engaged in farming, carrying on that vocation there until 1878, when he came to Whatcom county, Washington, locating at Sehome, now the city of Bellingham, when it was inhabited by only three families. From there he went to old Nooksack Crossing, where he lived about a year. He then bought a relinquishment three miles north of Everson and later preempted one hundred and sixty acres near by. He at once applied himself to the task of clearing the land, building a small log house, which was destroyed by fire about ten years later and was replaced by a larger hewed-log house, which made a comfortable and commodious home. He lived there about fifteen years, then sold part of the land, and on the remainder of the tract he and his wife spent practically the rest of their years. The mother died September 4, 1908, and the father on the 30th of the same month. They were the parents of seven children, namely: Edward, deceased, William, Mrs. Alice Goodwin, Arthur, Robert A., Andrew and Oliver Alfred.
Robert A. Kirkman was educated in the public school at Clearbrook and then devoted himself to assisting his father in the clearing of the land. When nineteen years of age he rented his father's ranch, which he operated until 1899, when he bought sixty acres, three and a half miles north of Everson, a few acres of which were cleared. He now has this land practically all cleared and in a fine state of cultivation. It is an excellent tract of bottom land, very fertile, and produces abundant crops, hay and grain being the main crops. He keeps fourteen good grade Holstein milk cows, from which he derives a nice income, and he is very comfortably situated. His farm is well improved and includes a good set of farm buildings, the barn having been built in 1901 and the house in 1906.
Mr. Kirkman was married, October 27, 1901, to Miss Maud Rarick, who was born in Michigan, a daughter of William and Margaret (Jaquay) Rarick, the former of whom was a native of New York state and the latter of Michigan. Her father, who was a farmer by vocation, came to Whatcom county in 1889 and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land three miles north of Everson. The tract was covered with timber and undergrowth, but he applied himself to the task of clearing it and getting into cultivation and in the course of time created a splendid homestead, on which land he lived until his death which occurred in March, 1925, at the age of eighty-nine years. He is survived by his widow. To this worthy couple were born five children, namely: Mrs. Lydia Wilcoxon, Whitney, Mrs. Ada Wilcoxson, William and Maud. Mr. and Mrs. Kirkman are the parents of six children, as follows: Mrs. Margaret Hinton, who is the mother of two children - Alvin, born December 13, 1921, and Wilma, born November 2, 1923; Herbert, born June 4, 1912; Elsie, born June 5, 1914; Florence, born December 23, 1917; Ada, born February 7, 1919; and Robert A. Jr., born May 28, 1921.
Mr. Kirkman is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is deeply interested in movements affecting the prosperity and welfare of the farmers of his community. He has stood staunchly for every measure calculated to benefit the general public and his influence is always on the right side of every moral issue. He is a man of fine personal qualities, tolerant, broadminded, liberal in his support of benevolences and kindly and friendly in all of his social relations.
History of Whatcom County, Volume II, by Lottie Roeder Roth, 1926, pps. 372-373.
Kirkpatrick, William D.; M.D., F.A.C.S.
Dr. William D. Kirkpatrick, a physician of more than twenty-five years' standing in Bellingham and a veteran of the World war with an officer's commission and a record of overseas service, is a native son of the old Bay state but has been a resident of this country since the days of his young manhood and there are few men in this section of the state who have a wider or better acquaintance than he. Dr. Kirkpatrick was born in Chelsea, delightful suburb of Boston, Massachusetts, March 10, 1872, and is a son of David W. and Catherine E. (Williams) Kirkpatrick. Early applying himself to the study of medicine he finished his professional education in the Medical School of the University of Minnesota and was there graduated (M. D.) in 1895. He followed this by a postgraduate course in the Medical School of Harvard University and in 1900 came to Bellingham where he established himself in practice, now being accounted one of the veteran physicians of this section of the state. He long has specialized in surgery and is recognized as one of Washington's leading surgeons.
During the progress of the World war, beginning in 1914, Dr. Kirkpatrick attached himself in a professional capacity to the work of the American Red Cross in Europe and in 1915, two years before this country took a formal hand in the war, was assigned to service as surgeon in the American Red Cross Hospital in Belgrade, capital of Serbia, and was there during the dread scourge of typhus that swept that region and also during the time of the bombardment of Belgrade. In 1917, the year in which the United States entered the war, he was assigned to duty as director of the American Red Cross hospitals in Romau and Jassy, Roumania, and in 1918 was commissioned a major of the United States army and assigned to service as medical advisor with the American Expeditionary Forces along the Archangel front in Russia, where he remained until the close of the war. Dr. Kirkpatrick has retained his interest in army affairs and is now a lieutenant colonel of the Medical Officers Reserve Corps of the United States army. During his long period of overseas service he was on duty on no fewer than four fronts, in France, Serbia, Roumania and Russia, and his record provides a most engrossing tale of war in its most horrible aspect, for to the surgeon come experiences in human salvage sometime too dreadful for the ears of the laity.
In 1916 Dr. Kirkpatrick was elected to fellowship in the American College of Surgeons. He also is a member of the Association of Military Surgeons, the Pacific Coast Surgical Association of which he is second vice president, and the Great Northern Railway Surgeons Association and is likewise affiliated with the American Medical Association and the Washington State Medical Association, being well and widely known in his profession throughout the northwest.
In 1897, in Mazeppa, Wabasha county, Minnesota, Dr. Kirkpatrick was united in marriage to Miss Addie G. Ford and they have a daughter, Ruth, wife of T. I. Evans, now living in Seattle. Dr. and Mrs. Kirkpatrick have a pleasant home in Bellingham and have ever been leaders in the promotion of the general social and cultural activities of their home town. They are members of the Bellingham Country Club and also take an interested and helpful part in others of the social movements of the community. The doctor has ever given his earnest attention to local educational activities and is chairman of the board of trustees of the State Normal School at Bellingham, an institution that has profited largely by reason of his able efforts in its behalf.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 275-276
The day of the pioneer in this county is practically gone and we are in the midst of stability and permanency. Nevertheless, there are still among us many representatives of that sturdy band who came to Whatcom county in the early days and who through their indefatigable industry, untiring perseverance and foresight developed this region into one of the best sections of the state. Among these is David Kitzel, who has spent over forty years here, during which time he has taken an active part in the great transformation of the county, and his reminiscences of the early days are extremely interesting.
Mr. Kitzel was born in Bavaria, Germany, on the 12th of January, 1856, and is a son of Conrad and Cathrina (Stephan) Kitzel, both of whom also were natives of that country, where they spent their entire lives. Our subject was reared under the paternal roof and secured a good education in the public schools. From the ages of twenty-one to twenty-four he performed military service in the national army and then, in 1881, emigrated to the United States, landing at the port of New York. He went on the Cleveland, where he remained nearly two years with relatives, and during that period was employed in wineries. He then went to Montana, but did not like that section of the country, and one month later came to Washington, stopping at Seattle for a few days and then coming to his present location. In 1883 he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of raw land, of which he still owns one hundred and forty-three acres. Before crops could be planted it was necessary to remove the virgin timber which covered the tract, and to this task he at once applied himself. For three or four years after locating here it was necessary for him to pack in all his provisions, there being no roads in this locality, but eventually he and his neighbors helped to build a road to Blaine, where most of their trading was done, though they also traded at Semiahmoo. Wild animals such as bears, deer and wildcats, were plentiful and caused the settlers a good deal of trouble. One persistent old wildcat stole Mr. Kitzel's chickens night after night and was so ferocious that the dogs were afraid of him, having been severely clawed in their attempts to kill him. Finally, after a long watch, Mr. Kitzel shot the animal while it was in the act of catching a hen. Mr. Kitzel now has about thirty acres of his land cleared and in cultivation, while the timber has been slashed on about the same acreage. He carries on a general line of farming and also has a nice bearing orchard of apples, cherries, prunes and pears, kept mainly for home use. He also keeps a number of milk cows and some hogs. His fertile and well cultivated fields yield sufficient grain and hay for his stock, and the farm buildings are of a substantial character, so that he is very well situated and in comfortable circumstances.
Mr Kitzel has been twice married, first in 1881, to Miss Catherine Hahan, a daughter of Ludwig Hahan, who was a native and lifelong resident of Germany. To this union were born seven children, namely: David, who lives in British Columbia; Mrs. Annie Humber, of Montana, who is the mother of three children; Mrs. Louisa McWinney, of Westminster, is the mother of one child; Emma, who is the wife of Fred Warrington, of Westminster, and has one child; George, who lives in British Columbia, is married and has one child; Mrs. Mary Ayers, who died in 1918, leaving three children; and Mrs. Katie Banter, of Westminster, who has two children. The mother of these children died in 1900 and in 1902 Mr. Kitzel was married to Miss Emilie Seline, who was born in Germany but was brought to this country by her parents when four years of age. Her father, John Seline, was a farmer by occupation and was universally respected among those who knew him. To the second union have been born three children: Richard, who is at home; Nettie, who lives in Tacoma; and Elsie, at home. Mr. Kitzel has been a public-spirited man in his attitude toward the welfare and progress of the community and rendered effective service for two years as road supervisor. His energetic nature, strong determination and capable management have brought him prosperity, and he merits the high place which he holds among his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 900-901