Among the successful farmers and public-spirited citizens of the northwestern part of Whatcom county, none holds a higher place in the respect and esteem of the people generally than does he whose name appears at the head of this sketch. He comes from sterling old German ancestry, and in his career he has to a marked degree exemplified the highest qualities of good citizenship, thereby gaining the popular respect that is due to those who by their lives and influence deserve the title of representative citizens. Charles "Carl" Kley was born on the old Kley homestead near Custer in January, 1891, and is a son of Louis and Louisa (Wieland) Kley. The father was reared and educated in his native land and on coming to the United States went to Texas, where he was employed at railroad work until coming to Whatcom county, where he bought the homestead right to a tract of eighty acres. Subsequently he made two purchases of twenty acres each, thus giving him one hundred and twenty acres of good land. He was in Seattle for a year about the time of the great fire, but returned to Custer and spent the remainder of his years on the home place. When he first came to this locality there were no roads and but few trails, all communication with the outside world being made by water, but on his return from Seattle he made the trip afoot, by way of Blaine. About twenty acres of the land are now cleared and in cultivation, the remainder being devoted to pasture. Our subject's mother came to this country about 1888, her marriage to Mr. Kley occurring soon afterward, and her death occurred on the home farm here in 1912. She was a native of Germany, where both of her parents died.
Charles Kley was reared under the parental roof and secured his education in the public schools, after which he and his brothers devoted their energies to the cultivation of the home farm until 1920. About 1911 Mr. Kley had bought his present place of eighty acres, and he moved onto it at the time of his marriage. He built a good, comfortable house and other necessary farm buildings and has effected other improvements which have made his farm one of the best and most up-to-date in this locality. He carries on general farming operations, oats being one of his chief field crops, and he has been rewarded with a very gratifying measure of prosperity.
On January 31, 1920, Mr. Kley was married to Miss Laura Breidford, who was born and reared in Manitoba, Canada, a daughter of A. G. and Margaret (Kenisted) Breidford, both natives of Iceland, the father being a fisherman and sheep grower by occupation. The Breidford family came from Iceland to Canada many years ago and in 1915 came to Whatcom county, locating near Blaine, where both parents now live. To Mr. and Mrs. Kley were born three children: Margaret Marie, Charles and Viola Jane, all of whom are at home. Mr. Kley has taken an active interest in local public affairs, and he has served efficiently as road supervisor for the third district, at Custer, for about ten years. He takes a commendable part in all movements for the advancement of the community and has long been numbered among its influential citizens, being held in the highest regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 489
Kline, Robert L.
Robert L. Kline, one of Whatcom county's honored pioneers, has been engaged in the real estate business in Bellingham for more than a quarter of a century, and his constructive labors have been of signal service to the city as well as a source of individual prosperity. He was one of the able members of the state senate and has also filled county offices, performing with thoroughness and efficiency every task which he has undertaken, whether of a public or private nature. A son of Jacob and Mary Kline, he was born August 7, 1858, and is a native of Cambria county, Pennsylvania. His mother passed away in the Keystone state, and in later life the father came to Bellingham, where he spent his remaining years.
Robert L. Kline received a public school education, and he earned his first money by working in the coal mines of Pennsylvania. In 1885 he yielded to the lure of the west and came to Whatcom, Washington, which at that time was a small settlement in the midst of a wilderness. He took up a squatter's claim, choosing for his home a tract which was situated a distance of twenty miles from the town and in a district that had not been surveyed. The forest abounded in wild game and he experienced all of the phases of frontier life. After years of patient toil Mr. Kline transformed his land into a fine farm with well tilled fields, good building and many modern improvements. He operated the ranch until 1900, when he sold the place and turned his attention to the real estate business, opening an office in Bellingham. He aided in subdividing the Kershaw & Kline and the Eldridge and Kline-Garden additions and has done much to increase property values in this locality. In development projects he not only studies present needs and conditions but looks ever beyond the exigencies of the moment to the possibilities and requirements of the future. Mr. Kline is regarded as an authority on real estate conditions in Bellingham and his advice is frequently sought when important deals are to be consummated. He also writes insurance and through good management and honorable methods has built up an extensive business, being the recognized leader in this field.
In September, 1881, Mr. Kline married miss Etta M. Gates, of Pennsylvania, and to their union were born three children: James Henry, who is married and is connected with the state highway department in an engineering capacity; Mary, the wife of Fred S. Murphy, who is associated with her father in business; and Glenwood, who is also married and resides in Bellingham. Mr. Kline is a staunch adherent of the republican party and was first called to public office in 1891, acting as county assessor for four years. He was county commissioner for six years, from 1898 until 1904, and was then elected to represent his district in the state senate. He served for two terms and took a prominent part in the legislative proceedings during those sessions. He was one of the influential members of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and was its president in 1903-4. He is a Catholic in religious faith and his fraternal connections are with the Knights of Columbus and the Woodmen of the World. Mr. Kline occupies a high place in the esteem of his fellowmen and his life has been a constantly expanding force for good citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 790-793
Kline, William R.
One of the productive farms of Deming township is the property of William R. Kline, whose residence in this section of the county covers a period of twenty-eight years, and to the cultivation of the soil he brings that intelligence and efficiency which constitute the basis of assured success. He was born January 26, 1876, in Pennsylvania, and his parents, Daniel J. and Florence M. (Derno) Kline, were also natives of that state. In the spring of 1898 they migrated to Washington, settling in Whatcom county, and the father bought an eighty acres tract in Deming township. A bridge had been built, but there were only three oxen and one team of horses in the neighborhood, which contained few settlers, and frontier conditions prevailed. Daniel J. Kline was a man of energy and determination and eventually brought his land to a high state of development. He lived on the place until his demise in 1916, and he is survived by the mother.
William R. Kline attended the public schools of Pennsylvania, and he accompanied the family to the Pacific coast. He assisted his father in tilling the soil and when he had acquired sufficient experience started out for himself, purchasing a tract of twenty acres adjoining the homestead. He is a practical agriculturist, familiar with all the details of that occupation, and owns one of the model farms in this section. Like many residents of the township, he is devoting his energies to dairying and the raising of poultry, and he find a ready market for what he produces, deriving a substantial income from his labors.
On October 23, 1895, Mr. Kline married Miss Olive A. Meyers, also a native of Pennsylvania, and seven children were born to them. Ruth Margaret, the eldest, is deceased. The others are: Clare Lewis, who makes his home in Deming township and has a wife and four children; Daniel J., a member of the United States Marines; Lynwood, a resident of Beaver, Washington; Olive June and Robert, both at home; and Irene, a high school student. Mr. Kline is allied with the democratic party and has been township assessor and a member of the school board, making a fine record in each of these offices. He belongs to the Grange and along fraternal lines is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, while his wife is connected with the Rebekahs. He owes his life success to hard work and good management and combines in his character all of the qualities of a useful and desirable citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 710-711
Knight, Mrs. Etta (Baker)
Mrs. Etta Knight, who is conducting a successful dairy farm in Lynden township, has achieved a high place in the esteem and admiration of the people, and her splendid personality has gained for her a host of loyal and devoted friends. She is a native of Billings, Missouri, and is a daughter of Christian and Martha Jane (Teague) Baker, the former of whom was a native of South Carolina, born May 14, 1813, and the latter of Springfield, Missouri, of which locality her parents were early pioneers. Christian Baker was a man of affairs, owning coal mines, a grist mill and sawmill and other interests. In young manhood he went to Kansas, being a pioneer of that state, and he later located at Billings, Missouri, and there lived retired, his death occurring at that place when his daughter Etta was about eight years of age. He was a very religious and God fearing man, being all but an ordained minister. One of his sons, Ben Baker, was one of the first settlers of Portland, Oregon. Etta Baker attended the public schools of her native town and completed her education in Nebraska. Her mother was a widow for four years, during which period she carried on farming operations and reared her children. She then married again, becoming the wife of Samuel Watson, and the family moved from Billings, Missouri, to Billings, Montana, where they remained through one winter, when they returned to Hay Springs, Nebraska, where our subject completed her education. From Nebraska the family again moved to Montana, where the mother and step-father worked in shops until 1909.
Etta Baker remained at home until 1900, when she became the wife of Thomas Knight, the ceremony being performed in Butte, Montana. Thomas Knight was born in Belleville, Illinois, and was a son of Edward Knight, a native of Germany, who came to this country and served in the Union army during the Civil war. Mr. Knight attended the public schools of Illinois, and was reared to the life of a farmer. He subsequently went to Helena, Montana, where he remained about three months, going from there to Butte, where he was engaged in railroading for seven years. Later he was in California for a short time, and he then returned to Butte, where he was employed in the reduction works for twelve years. In 1905 he bought the present homestead in Lynden township, without seeing the land, and during the ensuing years he went back and forth to the place a number of times. In 1909 he came to Seattle and engaged in pile driving and stationary engineering, and in 1915 he engaged in the jitney business, which he carried on successfully until his death, which occurred December 8, 1917. He was a man of energy and untiring industry, possessing a strong and forceful character, and he enjoyed the esteem of all who knew him. Mrs. Knight took over the jitney business after the death of her husband, having two big cars, and she conducted it until the passing of the city ordinance prohibiting jitneys. In 1923 she came to the farm which they had acquired in Lynden township and she is still living there. Mrs. Knight is engaged in dairy farming, keeping nineteen good milk cows, two of which are registered stock, and in the conduct of her ranch she is exercising sound judgment and wise discrimination, so that the success which is attending her efforts has been well merited. Her fields produce hay and other crops in abundance, and the place is of such a character as to make it a very desirable farm. To Mr. and Mrs. Knight was born a daughter, Venita Frances, who is with her mother.
Mrs. Knight deserves great credit for the brave and courageous manner in which she has taken hold of business affairs and the excellent record she has made as a dairywoman. She is kindly and genial in all her social relations, punctilious in all her business engagements and up-to-date in her methods, so that the high place which she holds in the admiration and respect of her neighbors is but a just tribute to her worth and character.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 114-115
Knight, Nellie (Samson)
Among the well conducted hostelries for which Whatcom county is justly famed, none is more popular with motorists than is that operated on Samson's Ranch, which was homesteaded in the Glacier forest reserve in 1907 by Nellie Samson. Her parents, Harry S. and Nancy E. Samson, were born in Pennsylvania and in their youth to Minnesota, where they were married. Subsequently they migrated to South Dakota and the father entered a homesteaded, proving up on the claim, which he afterward sold. The family next came to Washington, settling at Seattle in 1891, and later moved to Glacier township. To Mr. and Mrs. Samson was born a son, Roy, who is now living in Burlington, Washington, and has a wife and one child, Roy Stewart. Their daughter Nellie is the wife of Oscar A. Knight, to whom she was married in 1919.
In 1917 the home and all of the household goods of the family were destroyed by fire, and the present business of serving meals was then started. A modern building was erected on the place and Samson's Ranch, "the old-fashioned farm," is now known far and wide for the superior quality of food served to patrons and the hospitality of its owners. The milk, vegetables and chickens are all produced on the farm and on Sunday meals are frequently supplied to one hundred guests, while from sixteen to twenty-one people are furnished with lodgings. The place is situated forty miles from Bellingham, on the Mount Baker road, and patrons from Seattle, Washington, Vancouver, British Columbia, and many intermediate points secure reservations for the special dinners, which are greatly enjoyed by residents of the Pacific northwest. In the upbuilding of the business Mrs. Nancy E. Samson has borne a leading part, possessing the courage, self-reliance and executive capacity of the true frontierswoman, and the members of this enterprising family occupy a high place in public esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 902
Knowles, A. C.
A. C. Knowles is widely known as one of the industrious and enterprising farmers of western Whatcom county, where he has lived for about thirty-five years. His well directed efforts in the practical affairs of life, his capable management of his business interests and his sound judgment have brought him a large measure of success, and he enjoys the respect and esteem of all who know him. Mr. Knowles was born in the state of Kansas in 1874 and is a son of Rev. D. L. and Annie M. (Owens) Knowles, the former a native of Delaware and the latter of Ohio. The father is now deceased and the mother is living in Portland, Oregon, at the age of eighty-five years. Rev. Knowles had long been an active minister in the Methodist Episcopal church, but his health failed and in the hope of regaining it he came to Seattle, Washington, in 1887, and there lived for four or five years. In 1892 he came to Ten Mile township and located on twenty acres of land on the old Telegraph road, only a small part of which was cleared. He brought with him his wife and five children, the latter being George W., now of Portland, Oregon; Samuel; Alfred C; Charles, who died in 1924; and Annie, now Mrs. Long, of Portland.
A. C. Knowles received a good public school education and remained on the home place until his marriage, when he located on a farm on the Smith road, remaining there until 1907, when he bought his present place of forty acres in Ten Mile township. With the exception of some cedar that had been cut off the place, the land was uncleared, and Mr. Knowles at once went to work to get the land in shape for cultivation. His first act was the clearing of a small tract, on which he built a house, and he then devoted himself earnestly to the development of a farm, in which effort he has been very successful, now having about fifteen acres cleared and in cultivation, the remainder of the tract being devoted to pasture. He is giving his attention mainly to dairy and poultry farming, in both of which lines he has prospered, and is now in very comfortable circumstances. His land is fertile and well cultivated and he produces all the feed and green stuff required for feeding purposes. The improvements on the farm are all of a permanent and substantial character and he is well equipped for the work to which he is devoting his energies.
In 1901 Mr. Knowles was married to Miss Grace Eaton, of Minneapolis, Minnesota, a daughter of William and Hattie (Roberts) Eaton, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Michigan. Miss Eaton came to Whatcom county in 1900 to make her home with her sister, Mrs. J. F. Meeks. To Mr. and Mrs. Knowles have been born four children, namely: Wilbur, Alfred, Josephine and Delbert, all of whom are at home excepting Alfred, of Bellingham, who married Miss Hazel White and has one child. Mr. Knowles is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. Fraternally he is a member of the Woodmen of the World while his religious affiliation is with the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he takes an active interest. He has been prominent in local public affairs and served one term as road supervisor. He is a man of splendid character, genial and friendly in his social relations and generous in his giving to benevolent objects, and he has gained and retains a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 371
No man knows the real value of money unless he has himself earned it, and John Knudson has thoroughly learned its worth, for his life from an early age has been one of unceasing industry. He had nothing to aid him at the outset of his career, and when he first came to Washington he worked in the mills, receiving for his services sixty-five cents per day of eleven and a half hours. The struggle for ascendancy has developed the best and strongest traits in his nature and his life record is written in terms of honor and success. He is the owner of a fine ranch in Lawrence township and for nearly forty years his labors have been a vital force in its development.
Mr. Knudson was born October 16, 1852, and is a native of Norway. When a young man of thirty he crossed the Atlantic, arriving in the United States June 6, 1883. He spent one year in Wisconsin and then started for the pacific coast, reaching Port Townsend, Washington, May 26, 1884. He afterward moved to Tacoma, living for a few years in that city, and on February 16, 1887, came to Whatcom county, taking up a homestead in Lawrence township. There were no roads and in order to obtain his supplies it was necessary to walk to Bellingham, a distance of fourteen miles. He would start at three in the morning and completed the round trip of twenty-eight miles at ten o'clock in the evening, often walking through mud which reached to his knees and carrying upon his back a burden of some seventy pounds. In 1889 he bought a small wagon in Bellingham but had no harness. He put his horse between the shafts, tying the animal's tail to the single-tree, and over the neck he placed a rope to hold up the shafts. In this ingenious manner he brought the wagon home and afterward made his own harness. In those early days the streams were filled with fish and the forests abounded in big game. During the first three years which he spent in the township Mr. Knudson shot fifteen bears and brought home twenty-seven deer as trophies of his marksmanship. He has sold half of the original tract and the remaining eighty acres are devoted to general farming and dairying. Years of experience and study have given him an expert understanding of agricultural science, and he never allows a foot of his land to be unproductive. The buildings are substantial and the place presents a picture that is pleasing to the eye, constituting one of the most attractive and desirable farms of the district.
On May 8, 1876, Mr. Knudson married Miss Ingebord H. Hansen, and ten children were born to them: Sophia, the widow of R. Johnson, of Bellingham; Cecelia, who has passed away; Annie, the wife of A. W. Peterson, who is engaged in farming near the Knudson homestead; Lena, now Mrs. John Thurston; John, deceased; Antone, at home; Harold, who is living in Blaine, Washington, and has a wife and three children; Clements, and Ingvald, who are cultivating land in this locality; and a child who died in infancy. Mr. Knudson is allied with the democratic party and was at one time road supervisor, also serving on the school board for many years. He possesses a splendid constitution and notwithstanding his seventy-three years is still in vigorous health, deriving true contentment from activity and usefulness. He has found life well worth the living, making the best of it day by day, and his kindly manner and frank, genial nature have endeared him to a host of friends, who are thoroughly appreciative of his many good qualities.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 506-507
Of sturdy Scandinavian stock, Ole Knudson has made his own way in the world, placing his dependence upon the essential qualities of industry and perseverance, and his well directed labors have constituted a vital element in the development of Whatcom county. For more than forty years he has lived within its borders, settling in Washington during the territorial period of its history, and he is widely recognized as one of the leading agriculturists of Rome township. A native of Norway, he was born in May, 1858, and his parents, Knute and Maret Knudson, always lived in that country. The father was endowed by nature with a splendid constitution and attained the venerable age of ninety-four years.
Ole Knudson received a public school education and remained at home until he was twenty-two years of age. In 1880 he followed the example of many of his fellow countrymen and made the voyage to the United States, locating first in Wisconsin, where he learned and followed the blacksmith's trade. In 1883 he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and entered a homestead in Lawrence township, establishing his home in the midst of a wilderness into which few had penetrated. He constructed a small house of logs and began the task of clearing his land of the dense growth of timber. Eventually he converted the wild tract into a productive farm and devoted a portion of the land to the raising of hops, in which he was very successful. In 1910 he sold the place and made a trip to Norway, revisiting the scenes of his youth. He spent six months abroad and after his return to the United States purchased and eighty acre ranch in Rome township, where he has since resided. He built an attractive home in 1911 and in 1922 constructed a large chicken house, with a capacity of five hundred hens. He has made a close study of the poultry industry and his work is considered along scientific lines, productive of the best results. He has an intimate knowledge of agricultural pursuits, acquired by years of practical experience, and has aided in raising the standard of farming in Whatcom county. He has a fine ranch, situated on the shores of Lake Whatcom, one of the most beautiful of the many lakes in northwestern Washington, and has accumulated a comfortable competence which enables him to spend the sunset period of life in a more leisurely manner, though he carefully supervises the operation of his farm. Mr. Knudson was married, February 28, 1891, to Miss Bothilda Hagard, a native of Denmark and a daughter of Jacob and Katrina Hagard, who were lifelong residents of that country. Mr. and Mrs. Knudson have two children, of whom Carl is the elder. He was born February 22, 1898, and has a wife and two daughters, Ruth Elaine and Beatrice Nadine. Waldemar was born September 12, 1902, and lives in eastern Oregon. He is also married and has two daughters, Alice May and Evelyn.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 635-636
There is no better or more law-abiding class of foreign-born citizens in the United States that are those who came from Holland and have created comfortable home and productive farms here and Whatcom county has been particularly fortunate in the characters and careers of those who have located here. Among this number is John Kranendonk, of Lynden township, a man who, beginning at the bottom of the ladder, has steadily climbed without other assistance than that of his own strong arms and his will and determination to succeed and is today numbered among the representative men of his locality. Mr. Kranendonk was born in Holland on the 9th of December, 1865, and is a son of John and Jaapje (Van Besoojen) Kranendonk, both of whom died before our subject left his native land. The father followed truck gardening and also handled flax extensively. They would buy the growing fields, harvest it when ready, take the product home and cure and prepare it for market, and then send it to Rotterdam and England.
The junior John Kranendonk attended the public schools of his home neighborhood and at the age of twenty years entered the national army, where he served about one and a half years. He then remained with his father until the latter's death, and in 1900 he emigrated to the United States. He first located in Minnesota, where he remained about nine months, and then, at the solicitation of his brother, Arie, who was in Bellingham, he came to Whatcom county, arriving in November, 1900. He spent the winter in Lynden and then, with his brother, bought forty acres of land just south of the river. They lived there about five years, slashing the entire tract, and our subject then bought another forty acre tract, which he also slashed, living there for five years. In 1910 John Kranendonk returned to Holland on a visit to his sister, remaining there two years, during which time he was married. In 1912 he again came to this country and located near Galveston, Texas, where an attempt was being made to establish a Holland colony. However, Mr. Kranendonk decided that it was too warm there for permanent residence, and in September of that same year he came again to his Lynden place, on which he did not locate, however, but bought another place of twenty acres. He has this place entirely cleared and a fine set of farm buildings erected, these and other improvements making it one of the most comfortable homes in the locality. Here he gives the major portion of his attention to dairy farming, keeping eight good grade milk cows. He separates his milk, selling the cream and feeding the skim milk to his hogs, of which he has a nice herd. He also keeps about two hundred laying hens, and from both of these sources he derives a nice income. He raises his own hay and roughage but buys the necessary grain.
While in Holland, in 1912, Mr. Kranendonk was married to Miss Elizabeth Van Prooyen, a native of that country and a daughter of Abraham and Adrian (Visser) Van Prooyen, farming folk and both of whom are now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Kranendonk have been born three children: Adriana, Jaapje Anna and Johanna, all of whom are in school. Mr. Kranendonk is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. His wife is an active member of the Reformed church. Mr. Kranendonk has earnestly striven, ever since coming to this country, to reach the highest ideals of upright citizenship, and the consensus of opinion among his fellow citizens is that no man excels him in that respect, for he has actively supported and advocated every measure for the advancement or betterment of the community along all lines, while his private life has been such as to gain for him the confidence and respect of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 735-736
Ernest Krenz, one of the successful farmers and public-spirited citizens of the northwestern part of Whatcom county, who has been summoned to higher scenes of action, was one of the best liked men in his community, for he was not only a man of marked business ability but possessed a strong social nature and by his genial and kindly attitude toward those about him won the confidence and respect of everyone. Mr. Krenz was born in Germany on the 20th of September, 1855, and was a son of F. and Wilhelmina (Krenz) Krenz, both of whom also were natives of that country. They came to the United States in 1876, locating on a farm near St. Paul, Minnesota, where they spent the remaining years of their lives.
Ernest Krenz secured his educational training in the public schools of Germany and had about attained his majority when he came to the United States. He remained in Minnesota about eight years and then went to Richmond, Wisconsin, where for about twelve years he was connected with a lumber mill. He then returned to Minnesota and was engaged in farming for about five years, or until 1902, when he came to Whatcom county and bought the present homestead of forty acres. When he acquired the land it was covered with trees, stumps and brush, to the removal of which he applied himself with such vigor that in a few years he found himself the possessor of a well improved and productive farm. About thirty-five acres of the land are now cleared, the remainder being devoted to pasture. Here Mr. Krenz devoted himself to general farming and dairying until his death, which occurred in 1919. He was a good business man, candid and straightforward in all his relations, and at all times enjoyed the unbounded respect and esteem of all who had dealings with him. The gratifying measure of prosperity which crowned his efforts was richly merited, for he had devoted himself indefatigably to his work, doing well whatever he undertook and gaining a fine reputation for his enterprise and progressive spirit.
On June 8, 1884, Mr. Krenz was married to Miss Louise Schwertzer, who was born in Berlin, Germany, in 1866, and who came with her family to the United States in 1882, the wilds of this region presenting a marked contrast to the advanced civilization of her native city. But she was courageous and proved a true helpmate to her husband, whom she assisted and encouraged in all his efforts. Her parents, Henry and Augusta (Krenz) Schwertzer, came to this locality in the same year as did the subject of this memoir, with whom they made their home, and here they passed away. To Mr. and Mrs. Krenz were born four children, namely: Franz and Annie, who died in infancy; Elsie, who remains at home with her mother; and Walter, who lives on the home farm. He was married to Miss Evelyn Brokaw and they have four children, Ernest, Orvil, Esther and Verna. Mrs. Krenz secured a good education in the public schools of her native land, being about sixteen years of age when she was brought to this country. She is a woman of splendid character, kindly and friendly in her social relations, and has a host of warm and admiring friends. Since her husband's death she has, with the assistance of her son Walter, carried on the operation of the home farm, possessing good business ability and sound judgment.
Mr. Krenz was a worthy example in all that constituted true manhood and good citizenship and none stood higher than he in public confidence and regard. He possessed the deepest and most helpful public spirit and was a man of sound views on public questions. He earnestly cooperated with his fellow citizens in the promotion of all measures for the advancement of the public welfare and wielded a wide and beneficent influence throughout the community in which he lived.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 394-395
Henry Krumsick has long enjoyed prestige as a leading citizen of the community in which he resides and as an official who has rendered effective service to his locality. His prominence in the community is the result of genuine merit and ability and in every relation of life his many excellencies of character and his faithful discharge of every duty have won for him and enviable reputation among his fellowmen. He was born in Germany in 1848 and is a son of Frederick and Amelia (Schroeder) Krumsick, both of whom spent their entire lives and died in the fatherland. Our subject attended the public schools of Germany and then took part in the Franco-Prussian war, in which he was wounded. He then went to Holland, where he was employed for fifteen years in the brick making industry, and at the end of that time he emigrated to the United States, locating in Kansas. There he engaged in farming until 1883, when he came to Whatcom county and homesteaded the farm where he now lives. The locality was at that time a veritable wilderness, to which he came by way of the Telegraph road, from which he made a trail into his land, cutting a road through two years later.
Mr. Krumsick lived in Whatcom until 1884, when he moved onto his land, and he was compelled for about two years to pack in all his provisions. He did his trading at Whatcom, the trip there and back taking a full day. Wild animals, such as bears, deer, wild cats and cougars, were numerous and added to the primitiveness of the scene. However, in the course of time this was changed and an attractive and productive farm rose out of the wilderness, about thirty acres being cleared and in cultivation. The first years here were hard ones for Mr. Krumsick and he was compelled to go out to work in order to earn money for current expenses. He made many shingle bolts but could not sell them, as there was no way of getting them out of his place. His first house was of logs, but was well built, and this is the house in which he still lives, thought it has been weather-boarded and finished so as to completely hide the logs, and it is now a very comfortable and attractive home. Mr. Krumsick devotes his attention mainly to dairy farming, keeping twenty-two high grade Guernsey cattle, in the handling of which he has met with a very gratifying measure of success. He raises fine crops of hay, oats and other grain, and is realizing a good income from his farm.
Mr. Krumsick has been twice married, first, in 1875, to Miss Amelia Levine, and secondly in 1890, to Miss Rike Schneider, who was born in Germany, from which country she came to the United States in 1890. Her parents were Jacob and Rike (Schafer) Schneider, who came to this county in 1881. To Mr. and Mrs. Krumsick have been born four children, namely: Edward O. and Walter, who are at home; Alfred, who died at the age of twelve years; and Bertha, who is the wife of L. W. Beidler, of Ten Mile. Mrs. Krumsick is a member of the Evangelical church. Mr. Krumsick belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, and he has been active in his support of everything pertaining to the welfare of the community. He was formerly a road overseer of his district. A man of energetic and industrious habits, he exercises sound judgment in all his business affairs, and the success which has crowned his efforts has been well merited. He is friendly and affable and enjoys a wide acquaintance throughout this section of the county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 362-363
Kuehnoel, August, Edward C., & Frank
In compiling this volume of representative citizens of Whatcom county occasion has been afforded to give the records of men in various walks of life, and at this juncture we are permitted to offer a resume of the career of one of the enterprising agriculturists of Ten Mile township, of which he is a native son and where he has spent his entire life, gaining a splendid reputation among the people of his locality. E. C. Kuehnoel was born in Ten Mile township in 1890 and is a son of August and Ernestine (Scharf) Kuehnoel, both of whom were natives of Germany, where they were reared and were married. The father followed the vocation of coal mining in his native land and on coming to the United States, in 1889, come direct to Washington, where he worked in the Blue Canyon coal mines for a short time, also working in other mines along the coast. In 1890 he bought a preemption claim of eighty acres on the Smith and Goshen-Everson road, a tract of heavily timbered land, and to the clearing of this place he applied himself with vigor, succeeding in getting about twenty acres in shape for cultivation. In those days, in the absence of good roads, timber and shingle bolts had but little value to the new settler, for he had no way of getting them to the mills. After living on that property about five years he sold it and then, about 1894, homesteaded the one hundred and sixty acres comprising the present home farm. This tract had been inhabited by several people, none of whom had proved it up. There were a few old buildings, sadly in need of repair, and about five acres of the land had been cleared, excepting the stumps, and were in cultivation. Now about sixty acres of the land are cleared, and the soil is fine and productive.
Mr. Kuehnoel was a hard-working man, perservering in his efforts and doing well whatever he undertook. He was broadminded and public-spirited, taking a commendable interest in everything affecting the development and welfare of the community. For a number of years he served as a school director, was a road overseer for several years and also served as treasurer of the township. His death, which occurred in 1915, was considered a distinct loss to the community which he had served so well and which had been honored by his citizenship. To him and his wife were born ten children, namely: Herman, who is married and lives at Anacortes; Emma, the wife of E. L. Scrimsher and the mother of three children; Edith, who is the wife of George Whitsell, of Ten Mile, and has seven children; Bertha, who lives in Bellingham; E. C., the subject of this sketch; Paul, of Bellingham; Rosie, the wife of Frank Templeton; Frank, who lives on the home farm, is married and has one child; Otto, of Bellingham, who is married and has one child; and Helen, who lives in Seattle. The mother of these children is now living with her daughter, Bertha, in Bellingham.
E. C. Kuehnoel received his education in the Wahl school, and he has spent his life at farm work. He and his brother Frank have rented the home farm from their mother and are now operating it with a very gratifying measure of success. They thoroughly understand every phase of farm work and are now devoting their attention mainly to dairy and poultry farming, keeping fifteen good grade cows and about eight hundred and fifty chickens. They raise good crops of hay, grain and green stuff and are maintaining the place at a high standard of excellence, it being considered one of the most desirable farms in this locality. It is a far cry from the present well improved and prosperous condition of the community back to the days when their father first came here. Then there were no roads worthy of the name in this immediate locality, and the father packed many a sack of flour all the way home from Bellingham, following up the old B. B. & B. C. right of way. Our subject and his brother have just finished helping put through an extension of the Noon road to their farm, which gives them a fine outlet. E. C. Kuehnoel is a hard-working, energetic man, possessing sound judgment and good business ability, and throughout the community he is held in the highest regard.
Frank Kuehnoel was married to Miss Tina Lamoreaux, who was born and reared in Ten Mile township, a daughter of O. D. and Margaret F. (Parker) Lamoreaux, both of whom were members of early families in this locality. To Mr. and Mrs. Kuehnoel has been born one child, Marvin. Frank and E. C. have devoted themselves very closely to the operation of the farm, and their enterprising and progressive methods have gained for them not only material prosperity but also the respect and esteem of their fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 371-372