Lain, David E.
David E. Lain, one of Bellingham's able attorneys, is a man of more than one talent and was formerly well known as an electrical engineer, while his inventive genius has been used for the benefit of the lumber and fishing industries. He was born July 31, 1861, in Minisink, Orange county, New York, of which county his parent, Lebbeus L. and Arminda (Terry) Lain, were also natives. His father was born in Minisink, and the grandfather, David Lain, was a son of William Lain, who was also born in the town of Minisink, New York, and established the Lain homestead there in 1785. His wife was a granddaughter of Richard Mather, of colonial days. L. Lain was an agriculturist and also was engaged in merchandising. He was born in 1831 and passed away in 1913 at the age of eighty-two years, while his wife reached the ninetieth milestone on life's journey.
David E. Lain was graduated from Cornell University in 1885 with the degree of Electrical Engineer and achieved prominence in that profession. He was associated with Rudolph Eickemeyer and Stephen D. Field, the latter a son of Governor Jonathan Field of Massachusetts, having charge of the electrical department, and he designed special machinery in electric traction. In 1901 he came to New Whatcom, now known as Bellingham and while seeking to regain his health lived for some time on a ranch near the town. He was much benefited by the outdoor life and derived both pleasure and profit from the performance of the daily tasks of the agriculturist. Since 1915 Mr. Lain has enjoyed an enviable reputation as a patent attorney. He has been intrusted with many important inventions, and several valuable inventions are the product of his creative brain.
In 1888 Mr. Lain married Miss Adena M. Bonham, of New York, who finished her education at a young ladies seminary in New York state. Three children were born to them. Marion, the eldest, is the wife of R. K. Smith, of Bellingham, and the mother of one child, Roderick K. David L. and Genevieve are at home. The son served for eighteen months during the World war. Mr. Lain is a Royal Arch Mason and a consistent member of the Baptist church, while his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has ever been a deep student, constantly striving to broaden his field of usefulness, and his labors have been manifestly resultant.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 838-841
Lambert, Russ S.
A man of many talents, which he has put to good use, Russ S. Lambert has been active in the legal profession as well as in the fields of politics and mining, and for thirty-five years Sumas has numbered him among its loyal and valuable citizens. He has aided in framing the laws of his state and has creditably filled many public offices of trust and honor. He was born September 16, 1867, in Belvidere, Illinois, of which town his mother, Cassie (Hale) Lambert, is also a native. His maternal grandfather, Oliver Hale, was a resident of Pennsylvania and in 1837 migrated to the middle west, casting in his lot with the early settlers of Illinois. John C. Lambert, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Dover, Maine, and followed the occupation of farming as a life work. His widow stills makes her home in Belvidere, Illinois, and has reached the venerable age of eighty years.
After the completion of his public school course Russ S. Lambert entered the Bloomington Law School, from which he was graduated in 1889, and after his admission to the bar he practiced for a year in Illinois. He arrived in Whatcom, now Bellingham, Washington, in 1890 and in December of that year opened an office in Sumas, where he has since followed his profession. He is an attorney of high standing and his clientele is extensive and important. In association with John Post and L. G. Van Valkenberg, he located the property comprising the Lone Jack mine, known as the Post Lambert group, near Mount Baker, Washington. They were the first to discover gold in this district and Mr. Lambert disposed of his interest in the mine to good advantage. He is president of the Garrison Brothers State Bank and wisely guides the destiny of the institution, displaying keen sagacity in the solution of intricate financial problems.
On July 23, 1891, Mr. Lambert married Miss Carrie Swail, of Belvidere, Illinois. She was a daughter of William B. and Louise M. Swail, and she passed away January 29, 1918. To their union were born four children. Louise M., the eldest, is the wife of Edgar Thomas, a well known merchant of Sumas, and they have three children. Sidney, a teacher in the Sumas high school, is also married and has one child. Esther A. is the wife of Arthur Moe, who is a customs inspector and lives in Sumas. John W., the youngest member of the family, is attending high school. Mr. Lambert is a Mason and has been master of Fidelity Lodge No. 105, F. & A. M. He belongs to Bellingham Lodge No. 104, of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and has held all of the chairs in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a "stand pat" republican and during the sessions of 1899, 1905, 1907 and 1909 was a member of the state legislature. He represented the forty-first district in the state senate for the sessions of 1921 and 1923 and was largely instrumental in securing passage of the law prohibiting the making of a substitute for butter. While in the house he was the author of the corporation fee bill and throughout his tenure of office exhibited a zealous and watchful regard of public rights. Mr. Lambert has always stood for constitutional representative government, never trimming his political sails to catch a passing breeze. He was supervisor of the Washington forest preserve during 1900-1904 and acted as city attorney of Sumas for many years. He was school director for a number of years and for three terms was mayor of Sumas. He stood firmly for law and order and during his administration many improvements were inaugurated. Mr. Lambert never used political office as an avenue to personal aggrandizement, regarding it rather as a trust given him by the people, and his deep interest in the public welfare has been manifest in tangible efforts for the general good.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 139-140
Lambert, William Louis
The late William Louis Lambert, who for years was one of the chief factors in the oyster industry that has been developed in the Pacific northwest, having been manager and chief stockholder of the Crescent Oyster Company of Crescent, British Columbia, was a well known citizen of Bellingham. He was one of the pioneers of the Puget Sound country and his interests had centered here since the days of his young manhood.
Mr. Lambert was born in Wisconsin in 1870 and came to the coast country with his father, a native of New York state, in the middle '80s. In the early '90s he had observed the native oyster beds in Boundary bay and in 1903 projected the enterprise of developing the same. Convincing a group of friends that there a fine field for exploration there he brought about the organization of the Crescent Oyster Company, was elected manager and in time acquired the controlling stock in the company. The profitable development of these oyster beds and the success of the company organized by Mr. Lambert are matters of common knowledge. Mr. Lambert continued active in this business, and in the promotion of other interests he also acquired here until his death, January 30, 1924.
On June 21, 1905, at the home of his bride in Bellingham, William L. Lambert was united in marriage to Miss Eva Charroin, who survives him. They had two children, Wilma Lois, now (1926) a student in Leland Stanford, Junior, University, and Evan Charroin Lambert, who is a student in Fairhaven high school. Mr. Lambert was a home-loving and book-loving man who cared little for social contacts beyond the few friends he most valued. Although on account of his business he was obliged to spend a great deal of time at Crescent, British Columbia, he maintained his home in Bellingham so that his family might have the advantages of city life and his children be educated in American schools. He was fair minded and generous and was greatly beloved by his employees. Mrs. Lambert was born in Wisconsin and is a daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. Victor Charroin, now living in Bellingham, of which city they have been residents for the past quarter of a century or more.
For some time after her arrival here in 1899 Mrs. Lambert was engaged in teaching school, first on Lummi Island and then in Bellingham schools, and was thus engaged until her marriage. Since her husband's death she has been devoting herself to the management of his estate. She attends St. James Presbyterian church, belongs to the Twentieth Century Club and is affiliated with Chapter F. P. E. O. and several civic organizations. She resides at 235 South Garden street.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 461
Lamoureaux, O. D.
The life of O. D. Lamoureaux, of Ten Mile township, Whatcom county, has been a busy and successful one and fraught with much good to his fellowmen, for while laboring to advance his own interests he has never been neglectful of his larger duties to the public. It is such men as he who give character and stability to a community.
Mr. Lamoureaux was born in Marysville, Quebec, Canada, in 1852, and is a son of Francois and Olive (Picard) Lamoureaux, both of whom also were natives of Canada. The father, who was a farmer and also taught school, died in his native province, while the mother, who likewise was a school teacher, died in Hartford, Connecticut. O. D. Lamoureaux was reared at home and received a somewhat limited education, attending school for but a short time. He remained on his father's farm until he was about twenty-four years of age, and in 1879 he went to Reno, Nevada. This was immediately after the big fire which swept that place, when a call was issued for carpenters. However, too many responded, so after a few months there Mr. Lamoureaux went to the Sacramento valley, California, where he was engaged in farming for about a year and a half. He then located at Walla Walla, Washington, which at that time was newly settled, and there, in the woods of the Blue mountains, he was engaged in getting out railroad ties and other timber for about a year, the material being used in the construction of the Oregon Railroad & Navigation Company's road. From there he went to British Columbia, where he was engaged in logging during two summers.
In the spring of 1883 Mr. Lamoureaux came to Whatcom county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, comprising his present fine farm, but he did not occupy this until 1886. The tract was densely covered with virgin timber and the woods were filled with wild animals, among them being deer, bears, cougars, wildcats and beavers, while pheasants also were numerous. Mr. Lamoureaux walked all the way from Westminster to his land, and most of his early trading was done at Nooksack Crossing. About forty-three acres of the tract are now cleared, the remainder being slashed, and the farm has been developed into one of the best and most desirable in this locality. In the early days Mr. Lamoureaux worked out a good deal in order to earn ready money to keep himself going until his farm should become productive. Those early years were characterized by continuous labor of the hardest sort, but in the course of time he began to see the result of his efforts. He is now giving his attention chiefly to dairying, keeping a fine herd of good grade milk cows, and he also raises pigs and chickens, as well as all the filed crops commonly grown in this section of the country. He has recently likewise turned his attention to berries, of which he has planted about five acres. A man of industrious habits, who exercises sound judgment in the management of his affairs, he is well deserving of the splendid measure of success which he has attained.
In 1893 Mr. Lamoureaux was married to Miss Frances Parker, who was born and reared in Canada, and her death occurred in 1913. Her parents had brought their family to Whatcom county about 1887. To Mr. and Mrs. Lamoureaux were born six children, namely: Lorenzo, who is married and is living at Ten Mile; Orcelia, who is the wife of Milton Sear, of Springfield, Oregon, and has three sons; Dorcey, who is engaged in the logging camps; Tina, the wife of Frank Kuehnoel, of Ten Mile; and Arthur and John, who are at home. Mr. Lamoureaux has been a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association ever since its organization. He was formerly for many years a member of the Forest Grove school board and also served for a long time as road supervisor. He has taken a real interest in everything pertaining to the advancement of the community and has long borne a reputation as one of the most enterprising and public-spirited citizens of Ten Mile township.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 406-409
Lampman, G. D.
G. D. Lampman, one of the well known and substantial farmers and landowners of the Mountain View neighborhood, living on rural mail route No. 3, out of Ferndale, has been a resident of Whatcom county for more than twenty years and is thus thoroughly acquainted with conditions here. A native of the Wolverine state, he was born in Eaton county, Michigan, September 5, 1871, and is a son of Samuel and Sarah (Dean) Lampman, the latter born in that county, the Deans having been among the pioneers of that section of Michigan. Samuel Lampman, a carpenter, was a native of New York but had been a resident of Michigan since the days of his childhood.
Reared in Eaton county, G. D. Lampman finished his schooling in the Parrish Business College at Grand Rapids and when twenty-six years of age was employed as a barber. He remained in Michigan until 1903, when he came to Washington and after a brief residence in Bellingham became established in the barber business at Blaine. Seven years later he bought a small ranch in the vicinity of that city and there remained until 1914, when he and his family removed to their present well kept and admirably improved place in the neighborhood of Mountain View. This is a part of the old pioneer Smith quarter section, opened by H. A. Smith, father of Mrs. Lampman, in 1873. Following her father's death, in 1908, she inherited twenty acres of this place and Mr. Lampman later bought an adjoining twenty acres of the tract, so that they now have forty acres, will improved and under profitable cultivation. In addition to general farming Mr. Lampman gives considerable attention to dairying and also raises his hogs and sheep. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is widely known throughout the county.
It was in October, 1905, that Mr. Lampman was united in marriage to Miss Alice Smith and they have three children, Wave, Dean and Lloyd. Mrs. Lampman was born in Whatcom county and is a daughter of the late H. A. and Alice (McComb) Smith, both of whom were born in Quincy, Illinois. The former died here in 1908. His widow survived him about a year, her death occurring in 1909. Mrs. Lampman's grandmother, Mrs. Jordan, is well remembered by the surviving pioneers of Whatcom county, for in her generation she conducted one of the first hotels established in Bellingham. H. A. Smith was one of the substantial pioneer farmers of the county, was widely known throughout this region and at his passing left a good memory in the community which he had done much to help develop from its pristine state.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 835
Lane, Henry M.
Henry M. Lane, well known realtor at Bellingham and for more than forty years a resident of the coast country, is a native of the old Hoosier state, born at Bambridge, Indiana, in the year 1864, and is a son of M. W. and Ellen (Walsh) Lane, both of whom were natives of Ireland. Reared and educated in Indiana, Mr. Lane followed various pursuits there - farming, road building, trading in live stock and the like - until he attained his majority, when he came to Washington and began to take part in development work in Seattle. In that same year (1895) he married in that city and four years later, in 1889, came to Whatcom county and entered a claim to a tract of land on the south fork of Skookum creek and settled down to making a farm out of the place. He also was for some time engaged in prospecting for coal. In addition to his farming and other operations in this county, Mr. Lane was engaged in other lines, in and out of Whatcom county, and has for years given particular attention to the realty field, buying and selling property in this and adjacent counties, with particular reference to timber lands, and has done well in his operations. In 1900 he established his home in Bellingham and he and his wife have since been living here, now quite pleasantly situated at 1120 Forest street.
It was on the 28th of December, 1895, in the city of Seattle, that Mr. Lane was united in marriage to Miss Anna E. Hershey, who was born in Whiteside county, Illinois, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Murphy) Hershey, who later moved to Nebraska and in 1890 came to the coast country and became pioneers of Whatcom county. Mr. and Mrs. Lane are republicans and have ever given their interested attention to local civic affairs, as well as to the social activities of the community. They attend the Church of Christ (Scientist) and are earnest students of the ethical teachings embodied in Mrs. Eddy's books.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 451
Lange, William T.
For the past decade William T. Lange has been successfully engaged in the ice manufacturing business at Bellingham in association with his brother Fred. He was born at Fountain City, Wisconsin, on the 11th of December, 1888, a son of Helmuth and Emily (Newman) Lange, who in the year 1901 brought their family across the continent to Whatcom county, Washington. The purchased a ranch in the Canadian province of British Columbia, near Blaine, Washington, and thereon the father spent the remainder of his life. The mother, who still survives, now makes her home at Bellingham.
William T. Lange received a public school education in his youth. Prior to becoming connected with the ice business he carried the mail between the depot and the post office in Bellingham for a period of seven years. It was in 1916 that he and his brother fred purchased the delivery business of the Bellingham Ice Company, which they have continued to conduct throughout the intervening period of ten years, utilizing four delivery wagons. Industrious, energetic and thoroughly reliable in all their dealings, the brothers have developed an enterprise of extensive and profitable proportions.
In the year 1911 Mr. Lange was united in marriage to Miss Mary Earchinger [Erchinger], of Bellingham, and they are the parents of a daughter and a son, Frieda and Harry. The religious faith of the family is that of the Lutheran church. Mr. Lange gives his political allegiance to the republican party, and he enjoys an enviable reputation as one of the public-spirited and representative citizens as well as prosperous young business men of Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 758
La Pointe, Joseph Lewis
Among those who are shaping the commercial growth of Clipper is numbered Joseph Lewis La Pointe, a merchant of more than local reputation and also a prosperous agriculturalist. He was born May 28, 1871, in Michigan, and his parents, Lewis and Cecelia (Mason) La Pointe, were natives of Quebec, Canada. The father, who is of French lineage, was long connected with the lumber industry, filling the position of sawyer. He now resides with the subject of this sketch. The mother is deceased.
Joseph L. La Pointe received a public school education and also learned the sawyer's trade, which he followed for some time, becoming a skilled worker. In 1912 he sought the opportunities of the Pacific northwest and embarked in the grocery business at Portland, Oregon. He afterward revisited Michigan but in 1917 returned to the coast and engaged in merchandising at Seattle, Washington. He prospered in his undertaking and in 1923 came to Whatcom county, purchasing the W. E. Jones store at Clipper. He also bought a ranch of fifteen acres, formerly the property of Anthony Cook, and in the cultivation of the soil he utilizes the most advanced methods. His land is very fertile and yields rich harvests. He is an astute business man, possessing executive force and mature judgment, and he has won gratifying success in the field of merchandising. He handles dry goods, groceries, hardware, feed and grain, and in 1924 he erected a new store building which is sixty-two by thirty feet in dimensions, while the wing is twenty by twenty feet in extent. He carried a large stock of merchandise and enjoys a liberal patronage, which he has won by up-to-date methods and strict adherence to a high standard of commercial ethics.
In 1896 Mr. La Pointe was united in marriage to Miss Katherine Hoisington, of Iowa, and during the period of their residence in Clipper they have gained many true friends. Mr. La Pointe maintains an independent course in politics, voting according to the dictates of his judgment, and along fraternal lines he is connected with the Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Order of Foresters. His probity, enterprise and ability are well known to the residents of Clipper and his support can be counted upon to further every measure for the general good.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 485-486
Larabee, Charles Xavier
On the pages of Bellingham's history the name of Charles Xavier Larrabee is indelibly inscribed, and a life of intense activity and far reaching influence was ended on September 16, 1914, when he responded to the final summons. He belonged to that class of men in whom the constructive faculties are largely developed and marched in the front ranks of those hardy pioneers who blazed the trails and made possible the marvelous development of the Pacific northwest. He had a genius for organization, combined with an executive force that made his work of lasting value, and among his associates his high sense of honor won for him universal respect.
Mr. Larrabee was born November 19, 1843, in Portville, New York, and was but six years of age when his parents, William and Mary Ann (Johnson) Larrabee, journeyed to the middle west. They settled in Omro, Wisconsin, in 1849, and there the father conducted a general store. The mother was a daughter of Hiram Johnson, who operated a sawmill and was one of the pioneer lumbermen of the Badger state. S. E. Larrabee, a brother of the subject of this sketch, went to Montana in 1864 and became a prominent banker of Deer Lodge.
Charles X. Larrabee supplemented his public school training by a course in business college at Poughkeepsie, New York, and taught school for a time, also working in the lumber camps of his grandfather. In 1875 he went to Montana, and in 1887 his efforts as a prospector were rewarded by the discovery of the valuable Mountain View near Butte. After selling this property to the Boston & Montana Company, he moved to Portland, Oregon. In 1890 he arrived in Bellingham and associated himself with Nelson Bennett, the founder of Tacoma. Together they started the town of Fairhaven, now a part of Bellingham, and formed the Fairhaven Land Company, which was financed by Mr. Larrabee. Later he purchased the holdings of his partner and retained control of the corporation until his demise, doing much important work along development lines. He was the founder of the Citizens Bank of Bellingham, of which he was the first president, and was also a member of the firm of Larrabee Brothers, private bankers of Deer Lodge, Montana. Mr. Larrabee organized the Roslyn-Cascade Coal Company of Roslyn and developed one of the finest coal mines in the state of Washington. He was the first man in this region to recognize the possibilities of the great salmon-fishing industry and he also started the bulb industry, donating the land on which the government station is now located. He was the owner of a fine stock ranch, known as Brooknook, near Dillon, Montana, and was the breeder of famous Morgan horses. He was never content with the second best and excelled in everything he undertook. He seemed to realize just when the time was ripe for the development of a new project and the spirit of enterprise animated his every action. He had the poise, self-confidence and fine perspective of the man of large affairs and his labors were manifestly resultant. His life was conspicuously useful and his memory is revered by all with whom he was brought in contact. He generously shared his substance with others, and the elements were happily blended in the rounding out of a nature finely matured and altogether admirable.
On August 3, 1892, Mr. Larrabee married Miss Frances Payne, a daughter of Benjamin Howard and Adelia (Gray) Payne. They were resident of St. Louis, Missouri, and Mr. Payne was one of the prosperous agriculturists and stockmen of that state. To Mr. and Mrs. Larrabee were born four children: Charles Francis, who is the father of two children, a son and a daughter; Edward Payne, a medical student, who is also married and has a daughter; Mary Adele, who is the wife of Kenneth Milton, of Cortez Island, British Columbia; and Benjamin Howard, who is attending Yale University.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 44-49
Larsen, Soren Peter
Although one of the more recent additions to the farming community of Deming township, Soren Peter Larsen is widely and favorably known in Whatcom county, in which he has lived for nearly forty years, and personal experience has made him familiar with every phase of frontier life. He has fought life's battles alone and unaided and comes of a sturdy race of men whose labors have been essential to the development of the great empire of the west.
A native of Denmark, Mr. Larsen was born april 30, 1864, and was there reared and educated. Like many of his fellow countrymen he decided to seek a newer land in the hope of bettering his fortunes, and in 1886 came to the United States. He was then a young man of twenty-two, and after completing the journey across the Atlantic he went to Wisconsin, living in that state for one and a half years. On the expiration of that period he started for the Pacific coast, with Whatcom county as his destination, and took up a homestead in the vicinity of Mosquito lake. His claim was located in the midst of a wilderness and the only means of reaching it was by traversing a narrow trail for a distance of twelve miles. He at first packed his supples on his back, carrying a load of from eighty-five to one hundred pounds at a time, and later used a pony to transport his goods. His life was a laborious one, filled with difficulties and discouragements, but with unfaltering purpose he pressed steadily onward and eventually developed a fertile farm. He afterward purchased one hundred and sixty acres of wild land in Acme township and also cleared and developed that place. 1n 1924 Mr. Larsen came to Deming township and bought the old Carlson homestead of one hundred and thirty-six acres. He still owns the three ranches, on which he keeps fine dairy herds, and his property is supplied with all modern improvements. He brings to his pursuits an intelligent, open and liberal mind and follows the most advanced methods.
In 1887 Mr. Larsen married Miss Christina Christensen, also a native of Denmark and one of his playmates in childhood. They became the parents of eight children, but the eldest died in infancy, and Louis, the youngest son, is also deceased. Martin and Emma are at home. Dora is the wife of Jacob Jacoby, of Acme, by whom she has two sons. Ewalt, who is also married, has a son Gerald, aged four years, and is operating his father's farm in Deming township. Hannah is the wife of William Norris, of Acme, and the mother of three children, a son and two daughters. Henry is also living in Acme and has a wife and two sons.
Mr. Larsen is a member of the Danish Brotherhood and his political views are in accord with the platform and principles of the democratic party. He resides in Acme and has always taken the interest of a good citizen in public affairs, serving on the school board and as township supervisor. He lived on his first homestead for six years before a road was built in that section, and from the storehouse of memory he relates many interesting anecdotes of his experiences as a Washington pioneer. His success has been honorably won and the respect accorded him is well deserved.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 691-692
The Scandinavian races have constituted a strong and dominant element in the upbuilding of the great empire of the northwest, and to this sturdy type of men belongs Otto Larson, one of the well-to-do agriculturists of Lawrence township. He was born August 6, 1863, and is a native of Norway. In 1888 he heard and heeded the call of adventure and transferred his allegiance to the United States. Coming to Washington, he located first at Port Madison and afterward spent a short time in Tacoma. He reached Fairhaven in 1890 and decided to settle in Lawrence township. No roads had been made in the district and in every direction stretched miles of dense forests, the tall pines almost obscuring the sun. Mr. Larson purchased a tract of thirty acres and zealously applied himself to the task of clearing the land and preparing it for the planting of seeds. As time passed he wrought a marked transformation in the appearance of the place, building a good home and making other improvements as his resources permitted. He now has a productive farm, on which he operates a dairy, and is also engaged in the poultry business.
In 1891 Mr. Larson married Miss Keia Kuntsen, who was also a native of Norway, and their union was severed by her demise in 1916. She had become the mother of four children: Jennie, now the wife of Carl Hansen, of Sumas, Washington; Carl, who operates a ranch in the vicinity of Sumas; Otto Christian, who is living in Florida; and Alfred. For his second wife Mr. Larson chose Mrs. Mina Mortensen, who has four children by her first marriage, namely Seivert, Paul, Christian and Anna. Mr. Larson belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is a republican in his political convictions. He filled the office of township clerk for two terms and served for many years on the school board. He was instrumental in promoting the educational advancement of the district, and his industry, public spirit and probity are qualities which have established him high in the esteem of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 781
Laube, Fred E.
Industrial activity in Bellingham has been stimulated by the well directed labors of Fred E. Laube, one of the city's progressive business men and also a moving spirit in public affairs. He was born May 6, 1884, in Green county, Wisconsin, and is a son of J. M. and Edith (Hahn) Laube. The father has resided in this locality for more than thirty years, but the mother is deceased. A native of Switzerland, J. M. Laube spent his youth in the land of the Alps and in 1860 settled in Wisconsin, becoming connected with the hardware and sheet metal business.
The family home was established in Whatcom, Washington, in 1894, when the subject of this sketch was a boy of ten, and his public school education was supplemented by a course at the University of Washington, from which he was graduated in 1906 with the degree of Mining Engineer. For two years he represented the Tacoma Smelter Company in a professional capacity and on the expiration of that period became associated with the Alaska Treadwell Gold Mining Company, with which he spent five years. He then returned to Bellingham and in August, 1913, joined his father in organizing the firm of J. M. Laube & Son, of which the former is president. Fred E. Laube acts as manager, and his well defined plans and systematically directed efforts have constituted a vital force in the upbuilding of the business. The firm does all kinds of sheet metal work and builds automobile bodies, also handling the Willard storage batteries. It controls the patent rights on the Pacific coast for the Swem spark arrester, which is sold through hardware dealers and is widely used in the lumber camps of this region. J. M. Laube & Son are likewise manufacturers of the Mount Baker wood furnace, which will retain fire over night as well as a coal furnace and is designed especially for the heating of homes. Many of these furnaces have been installed throughout the northwest, and the annual sales of each department of the business amount to a large figure. The firm has twenty employees and the business is conducted at Nos. 1210-12 Elk street in a substantial building two stories in height and fifty-five by one hundred feet in dimensions. The members of the firm are sagacious, farsighted business men of the highest reputation, and the industry means much to the city.
In 1909 Fred E. Laube married Miss Ethel Birney, of Bellingham, and they have three children: Katherine Mae, Ethelfred and Frederick E., Jr. Mr. Laube is allied with the republican party and for two years has been a member of the school board. He is a strong advocate of educational advancement, and for five years he has been a trustee of the Chamber of Commerce. He is a Mason and during 1922-23 was master of his lodge. He is also connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Rotary Club and Phi Gamma Delta, a college fraternity. His deep interest in Bellingham's future has been demonstrated by earnest cooperation in movements for its development and prestige, and public opinion bears testimony to his worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 563-564
Laube, Harry A.
One of the leading citizens and representative agriculturists of Whatcom county is Harry A. Laube, proprietor of a fine and well improved farm in Ferndale township. His has been an eminently active and useful life and he has become a man of large influence in his community, where his splendid personal qualities are recognized and appreciated by his fellow citizens. Mr. Laube is a native of Wisconsin, born on the 11th of September, 1882, and is a son of Charles and Margaret (Gumbar) Laube, the latter of whom was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The father, a native of Switzerland and of French descent, became a harness maker by trade. In 1882 he came to Whatcom county and took up a homestead near Blaine, which he lost, however, to a claim jumper. He then bought a rance on the Marietta road, after which he went back to Wisconsin, and in 1900 brought his family to this state. He is now retired and is living in Bellingham, where he owns considerable property.
Harry A. Laube was educated in the public schools of his native state, graduating from the high school at Brodhead, Wisconsin, and then learned the trade of a tinner, finishing his apprenticeship with Monroe, Blake & Haskell, in Bellingham. He followed that vocation for thirteen years but in 1912 he located on a ranch of one hundred and sixty acres which his father owned in Ferndale township. He milks thirty head of good grade Holstein cows, owns five pure bred cows, ten head of young cattle and a fine registered bull. He also has horses to do the farm work. He farms about ninety acres of land in addition to a fine tract of forty-five acres adjoining his father's ranch owned by him. He has personally cleared eighty acres of land which was covered with brush and cedar trees; carries on general farming, his crops being diversified in character; and he exercises excellent judgment in all his operations. Among the many fine improvements on the place is the electric system which he has installed, including a two-unit milking machine and a complete water system. He is progressive in all his ideas and, because of his indomitable energy, careful management and wise discrimination, he is realizing a splendid success in his work. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association.
Mr. Laube was married May 22, 1907, to Miss Edith Clift, who was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but was only three years of age when brought to Washington by her parents, C. H. and Bessie (Foster) Clift, who settled here in 1891. Her father died in 1923 and her mother is now living in Bellingham. Mr. and Mrs. Laube are the parents of three children: Helen, born January 8, 1910, now a student in the Meridian high school; Carl Leo, born September 24, 1913, also attending school; and Harry A., born September 5, 1925. Mr. Laube is in thorough sympathy with all movements calculated to advance the interests of the community in any way, and his record has been such as to gain for him the unbounded confidence and good will of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 612
It is always pleasant and profitable to contemplate the career of a man who has made a success of life and won the honor and respect of his fellow citizens. Such is the record of the well known dairy and poultry farmer whose name heads this sketch and a more whole-souled or popular man it would be difficult to find in his locality. William Lauckhart was born near Randolph, Wisconsin, in 1872. His father, also named William, was born in Holland in 1834, and was there reared and educated. In 1853 he came to the United States, locating in Wisconsin, and was there reared and educated. In 1853 he came to the United States, locating in Wisconsin, and three years later he returned to his native land and brought back with him his parents and a sister, and they located near Milwaukee.
The country was densely wooded, and here Mr. Lauckhart worked in the timber in winter and on neighboring farms in summer. During the Civil war he desired to enlist in defense of his adopted country but could not do so as he was the only support of the family. He married Miss Henrietta Wessels, who was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, and after his marriage he managed his father's forty acre farm until 1882. He had read a letter from Washington published in a local paper, and he wrote the author of the letter for more information about the western country. The reply was so satisfactory that he started westward, going to Council Bluffs, then to San Francisco by rail and from there to Seattle by the steamer Dakota. There he met the Boyd family and was persuaded to go up the Skagit river as far as sedro on the boat Josephine. As Mr. Lauckhart did not like the country there, he remained on the boat, returned and then transferred to a boat going to Utsaladdy. There he remained on the vessel until the Bellingham boat arrived, since the cost of lodging was as cheap on board as at a hotel. At Bellingham he was met by A. Klocke, with whom he walked to Lynden and Judsons. He left his wife and son at Bellingham, but they soon followed him by ox team.
Mr. Lauckhart then homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, comprising the present farm. In the course of time their goods and boxes started on a boat from Bellingham, on a "cold-water steamer," which was pulled upstream by ropes. Other provisions and supplies were loaded into a large canoe, but the canoe hit a snag and was split open, the heavy articles all sinking, which was a real tragedy to the newcomers. However, the flour, sugar and other important foodstuffs were saved. The homestead was densely covered with timber and brush, and the only highway to the place was the Bertrand prairie trail. In the course of time the father and his sons cleared one hundred and twenty acres of the land, which also required a good deal of ditching and draining, and eventually they developed it into one of the best farms in this locality. In the early days the father worked out a good deal in order to earn ready money for current expenses. He was active in the local affairs of the community, serving as a school director for a number of years, and also as road overseer. His death occurred in 1914 and his wife died in 1920. Besides the subject of this sketch, they had one other son, Henry, who died in 1921 and whose widow afterward became the wife of J. T. Welch.
William Lauckhart, the younger, received the benefit of a public school education. He remained with his parents until they died and subsequently took over the operation of his share of the farm, amounting to sixty acres. He has devoted his attention principally to dairy farming, keeping thirty head of registered Ayrshire stock, but he is now gradually relinquishing the dairy business and turning to the poultry business, in which he is meeting with splendid success. He has eleven hundred fine White Leghorn hens and is preparing greatly to increase the size of his flock. He raises practically enough feed on the farm for his stock, and he is regarded as an up-to-date and progressive man in his ideas and methods.
In 1902 Mr. Lauckhart was married to Miss Jennie Trapman, who was born in Holland, a daughter of James and Jeanette (Van Cruynengen) Trapman, the former of whom died in 1917, while the mother is now living in Lynden. The family came to the United States in 1884, coming to Lynden in 1898. To Mr. and Mrs. Lauckhart have been born three children, namely: Wilbur, of Tacoma, and John Burton and Donald William, who are at home. Politically Mr. Lauckhart maintains an independent attitude, voting according to the dictates of his judgment as to men and measures. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has served as a member of the board of school directors and in every possible way has contributed to the welfare and progress of his community. Mrs. Lauckhart is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Among Mr. Lauckhart's prized possessions are two photographs, one of the Grand Army of the Republic at Lynden in 1889 and the other of the Lynden band, taken the same year. He is a man of excellent personal qualities, and throughout the community where he has lived for so many years he enjoys a high measure of respect and esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 72-73
Entering the business world in an humble capacity, Abraham Lawson has never feared that laborious effort which must ever precede ascendancy, and his constantly developing powers have brought him to the fore in mercantile circles of Bellingham. A native of Ireland, he was born in 1868, and his parents, Archibald and Sarah Lawson, were life-long residents of the Emerald isle. His father was a dry goods merchant and one of the prominent business men of Dublin.
Abraham Lawson supplemented his public school education by a course in Wesley College of Dublin and afterward served a five years' apprenticeship to the dry goods trade. He started with a salary of forty dollars per year and was promoted to the position of silk buyer. He left Dublin in 1894, when a young man of twenty-six, and followed the example of many of his fellow countrymen who had profited by the opportunities of the United States. After reaching New York city he journeyed westward to St. Paul, Minnesota, becoming a dry goods clerk at a salary of ten dollars per week, and within a month he was advanced to a more responsible position. He was paid thirty dollars per week for his services and was later placed in charge of the silk department. He remained with that house for a few years and in 1900 decided to locate on the Pacific coast. He had accumulated a capital of fourteen hundred dollars and opened a dry goods store in Seattle. Prosperity attended his venture and eventually he stocked another establishment. He operated both stores until 1913, when he sold the business and allied his interests with those of Bellingham. He secured a desirable location at Nos. 1308-14 Bay street and opened The Home Store, of which he has since been the proprietor. He had a display front of twenty-five feet, and the main floor of the store is now one hundred and ten by one hundred and twenty-five feet, while the mezzanine floor is sixty-five by one hundred and ten feet in dimensions. Mr. Lawson carries a general line of dry goods, also handling shoes and ready-to-wear clothing for men, women and children. His stock is tastefully arranged and his store is attractive in every way, having the appearance of a metropolitan establishment. He started with a force of three clerks and now has thirty-five employes. His expert knowledge of mercantile affairs is supplemented by mature judgment, and the rapid growth of the business is the logical result of the progressive methods, executive capacity and honorable policy of its founder.
In 1904 Mr. Lawson was united in marriage to Miss Lillian Lancaster, of Fergus Falls, Minnesota, and they have two daughters, Marjorie and Maxine. Mr. Lawson belongs to the Kiwanis Club and is one of the earnest workers who are striving to extend Bellingham's trade relations through the agency of the Chamber of Commerce. He is a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner and has taken the thirty-second degree in the order. He is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd fellows and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Mr. Lawson has made his own way in the world and enjoys in marked degree that reward of the honest, industrious and useful citizen - the respect and confidence of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 207-208