Likins, John L.
John L. Likins, one of Bellingham's honored pioneers, has long been classed with the city's leading contractors and has also aided in framing the laws of his state. He was born in 1862 and is a native of Iowa. His parents were Leonard E. and Elizabeth (Hammoch) Likins, the former of whom was born in Virginia in 1832, while the latter was a native of Kentucky. They were among the early settlers of Iowa, and the father was engaged in farming and merchandising. They moved to Kansas about 1872 and in 1876 migrated to California, establishing their home in Amador county, where the father passed away, while the mother's demise occurred in Bellingham.
John L. Likins received a high school education and completed his studies in California. He came to northwestern Washington in 1883, when twenty-one years of age, and opened a grocery store in Whatcom. He was one of the earliest settlers in this locality and owned the first spring wagon brought to Whatcom county. He conducted the store for fourteen years and in 1897 embarked in the contracting business, in which he has since continued with the exception of a period of seven years, from 1913 until 1920, when he served as a deputy under the state fish commissioner. In 1909 he constructed the water mains from the reservoir to the city, and he also specializes in street, road and sewer work. He is unsurpassed in this field of activity and has filled many important contracts, controlling a large business.
In 1909 Mr. Likins was married, in Seattle, to Mrs. Sophia B. Studdert, a native of New York and a daughter of George and Sophia Beck. In 1888 her parents journeyed from Alabama to the Pacific coast, settling in Tacoma, Washington, and later moved to Friday Harbor. There Mr. Beck was engaged in farming until his demise, and his widow is now a resident of Seattle. Mr. Likins is allied with the democratic party and in 1897 was a member of the state legislature. He was chief of police of Bellingham during 1910-11. He made a creditable record in every office to which he was called, discharging his public duties with the same thoroughness and conscientiousness that he displays in the conduct of his private affairs. For forty-three years a resident of the state, Mr. Likins has been an important factor in the development of western Washington, and he well merits the trust that has been reposed in him, for his life has been productive of much good.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 596-597
Throughout his career August Lind has made each day count for the utmost, never fearing that laborious effort which must always precede success, and one of the model farms of Lawrence township is the visible result of his intelligently directed activities. A native of Sweden, he was born in September, 1861, and when a young man of twenty came to the United States with his mother and stepfather, Ole Bensen. They first located in the city of Chicago and later moved to the state of Indiana.
In February, 1890, Mr. Lind came to northwestern Washington and for a year was employed in a sawmill at Whatcom. In the spring of 1891 he went to Sumas but at the end of eleven weeks returned to Bellingham. He was in the service of the Bellingham Bay Improvement Company until the fall of 1892 and then purchased a tract of ten acres in Lawrence township. He gradually added to his holdings until he had accumulated eighty acres of land, but his present ranch comprises forty-seven acres. He is thoroughly familiar with agricultural conditions in his district and knows the best methods of coping with them. His fertile soil has been enriched by systematic work and the place is improved with a fine home and good barns. He has found dairying a profitable industry and keeps a herd of pure bred Jersey and Holstein cattle.
Mr. Lind has five children: Lilly, who lives in Seattle; Edith, who is married and lives in Bellingham; Herbert, who also makes his home in that city; Alice, who is living in Seattle; and Mabel, a resident of Bellingham. Mr. Lind belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is a republican in his political convictions. He served on the school board for four years and for many years has filled the position of road boss. He has demonstrated his public spirit by word and deed and his course has at all times marked him as a citizen of worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 895-896
Lind, John A.
Though of European birth, John A. Lind, one of the well known and well established farmers and dairymen of Mountain View township, former supervisor of that township and the proprietor of a well kept place of sixty acres on rural mail route No. 1 out of Blaine, has been a resident of Washington for the past quarter of a century and thus feels as much at home and as thoroughly familiar with conditions here as though born to the scene. Mr. Lind is a native of Sweden, born in the Norland province, February 26, 1877, and is a son of J. A. and Ingrid M. (Olesdatter) Lind, farming people of that province who spent all their lives there and who were the parents of seven children, two daughters and five sons.
Reared to farming in his home country, John A. Lind received his education there and remained with his father on the farm until he was twenty-five years of age when, in 1902, he came to America, landing at New York. He straightway made his way to Seattle, Washington. After a time he became employed in the lumber operations at Granite Falls and was thus engaged until 1906, when he returned to his native land to claim the girl to whom he had plighted his troth before leaving the old country and with her came back to the United States in July, 1907. By reason of the stringent marriage laws of their home country, one of the requirements of which is the publication of intent to marry six months before the nuptial date, they did not marry in the old country but waited until their arrival here and the ceremony was performed at Bellingham.
For awhile after his return here Mr. Lind resumed his old occupation as a timberman, working in the woods, but in that same year bought the place on which he is now living in Mountain View township, where after his marriage in the following spring he established his home and has since resided. To his original house there he had made a suitable modern addition and he and his family are now quite comfortably situated. To his original "forty" there Mr. Lind has added an adjoining tract of twenty acres and now has a well improved farm of sixty acres, about half of which has been cleared, the remainder being left as a range for his dairy cattle. In addition to dairying and general farming he also gives considerable attention to poultry raising and is doing very well. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and of the Poultry Association and takes a proper interest in the affairs of those helpful organizations. He also takes a proper interest in the general civic affairs of the community and for four years, 1916-1920, rendered efficient public service as supervisor of mountain View township.
It was on March 19, 1908, at Bellingham, that Mr. Lind was united in marriage to Miss Gerda A. Olson, who also was born in Sweden, daughter of Andrus and Stina Marta (Nyberg) Olson, and to this union six children have been born, namely: Indrid Christine, who died in 1911; John Andrew, Bertil Isadore, George (who died in 1924), Albert and Jennie Margaret. all of whom were baptised in the Swedish Mission church at Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 821-822
Lindberg, Mrs. Mary (Olson)
Wholly devoted to home and domestic duties, doing through all the best years of her life the lowly but sacred work that comes within her sphere, there is not much to record concerning the life of the average woman; and yet what station so dignified, what relation so loving and endearing, what office so holy, tender and ennobling as those of home-making, wifehood and motherhood! As man's equal in every qualification save the physical, and his superior in the gentle and loving amenities of life, she fully merits larger notice than she ordinarily receives, and she should be given due credit for the important part she acts in life's great drama. Among the pioneers of Whatcom county Mrs. Mary (Olson) Lindberg has long held an honored place and today no woman in the entire community enjoys to a more marked degree the affection and esteem of the people than does she.
Mrs. Lindberg was born in Sweden and is a daughter of Olaf and Magdalena Johnson, who brought their family from that country to the United States in 1885. They came direct to Whatcom county and were among the very first to take up a homestead in Delta township. The father filed on land in 1887, the tract being located seven and a half miles northwest of Lynden. The sons, J. P. and O. J., also took up homesteads in the same district, they having come here in 1883 and filed their claims at that time. Another member of the family, Christina, had the distinction of having been a passenger on the first through train that came to the coast over the Northern Pacific Railroad. When the family came to this locality the land which they selected was all in virgin timber, no clearing of any nature having been done, and roads were conspicuous by their absence. The father went vigorously to work, his first act being the building of a log house, after which he applied himself to the clearing of the land. In the course of time a fine farm was developed and here the parents spent their remaining days, the father dying in October, 1899, and the mother, August 2, 1916. To this worthy couple were born six children, namely: J. P., who died in 1890; O. J., who died in 1887; Katherina, who died in 1920; Christina, who died in 1888; Anna, who died April 4, 1918; and Mary, the subject of this sketch.
Mary Olson was educated in the public schools of her native land and came to the United States with her parents in 1885. She lived at home part of the time and at Seattle up to the time of her marriage on October 26, 1900, to John A. Lindberg, who was born in Sweden, March 12, 1873. Immediately after their marriage, Mr. Lindberg came to his father-in-law's ranch and began farming on one hundred acres of the homestead. He was a practical man in everything he did and made a splendid success of farming, being energetic and persevering and following up-to-date methods. He also was for ten years financially interested in the sawmill business near Custer. He made many permanent and substantial improvements on the place, including the erection of a new house in 1908. The ranch has been devoted to a diversified system of farming, hay and grain being the principal field crops, while six cows contribute their share of the profits which accrue from the farm.
Mrs. Lindberg has carried on the management of the place in a businesslike manner and with tact and good judgment, and has gained a high reputation throughout the community as a woman of more than ordinary ability and energy. She is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and has been deeply interested in everything pertaining to the welfare and prosperity of the community in which she lives. Her religious affiliation is with the Baptist church in Seattle, to which she has belonged continuously since 1887, a period of nearly forty years. She is the mother of five children, namely: Sigrid, born January 21, 1903, who is a stenographer and lives in Bellingham; Arvid, born November 7, 1904; Martha, born November 29, 1907; Emmanuel, born July 4, 1909; and Ben, born July 30, 1911. She is active in local social circles and maintains a kindly and generous attitude toward all benevolent and charitable objects. Because of friendly and hospitable disposition she has won a host of devoted friends throughout this locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 322-323
Joseph Lindgren, a dealer in meat, has been engaged in business at Everson for a period of six years, and he owes his prosperity to industry, honesty and perseverance, outstanding qualities of those of Scandinavian origin. A native of Sweden, he was born November 4, 1873, and was a child of six when his parents, Andrew and Charlotte Lindgren, settled in Omaha, Nebraska. In 1880 they moved to Phelps county, that state, and the father proved up on a homestead. He still lives in Nebraska but the mother is deceased.
The son, Joseph Lindgren, was reared on his father's ranch and attended the public schools near his home. For several years he followed the occupation of farming in Nebraska, and in 1905 he came to the state of Washington, purchasing property near Mount Vernon. For some time he devoted his energies to the cultivation of the soil, developing one of the productive farms of that section, and he then decided to enter mercantile life. He obtained a position with a meat dealer at Mount Vernon and later was proprietor of the Sanitary Market.. Mr. Lindgren remained in Mount Vernon until 1920, when he purchased a market in Everson, and here he has since resided. He is the owner of a slaughter-house and carries the best grade of meat. His shop is a fine one, and he receives a large share of the public patronage.
In 1896 Mr. Lindgren was united in marriage to Miss Amanda Wilson, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Anton and Anna Louise (Gustafson) Wilson. Her father was one of the pioneer agriculturists of Nebraska, subsequently migrating to Colorado, and he is now living retired at Mount Vernon, Washington. Mr. and Mrs. Lindgren have become the parents of six children. Roy H., the eldest, is associated with his father in business. He is married and has one son, Robert. Ruth married Leo Harbert, of Mount Vernon, by whom she has a son, Donald. Viola is the wife of Basil Slattery. Gladys married Lee Crosslin, of Bellingham, and they have two children, Jackie Lee and Dwain Edward. Kenneth, the fifth in order of birth, is at home, and Dorothy is attending the public schools.
Mr. Lindgren is a lover of good music and plays in the local bank. His right of franchise is exercised in support of the candidates and measures of the republican party and he is a member of the Community Club. He is a good citizen and a business man of high standing.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 40-50
Lindstrom, Mrs. Ethel (Hall)
Mrs. Ethel Hall Lindstrom has developed an extensive and profitable patronage as proprietress of a hair goods and beauty culture establishment at Bellingham, where she has thus been engaged in business during the past fourteen years. She is a native of the state of New York and a daughter of S. N. and Hattie (Davis) Hall, who were also born in the Empire state. The ancestry of the Hall family is traced back to colonial days in America. S. N. Hall, the father of Mrs. Ethel Hall Lindstrom, took up his abode at Bellingham, Washington, in the '90s and became widely known here as a blacksmith and veterinary surgeon. He became a charter member of the local tribe of the Improved Order of Red Men. His demise occurred in 1903. His widow has also manifested a helpful interest in local affairs and at the time of the World war organized the Mothers Club, of which she became the first president. In 1906 Mrs. Hattie Hall married Robert H. Ball.
Ethel Hall acquired her early education in the public schools of her native state and subsequently pursued an academic course at Montour Falls, New York. It was about the year 1900 that she came to Bellingham, Washington, where she has remained continuously to the present time. She was employed in a beauty parlor for a period of five years prior to opening an establishment of her own about 1912, when still a very young woman, and since that time she has developed a patronage of large and lucrative proportions by her own exertions. There was only one other hair store in Bellingham when she began business here. The growth of her patronage is indicated in the fact that she now requires the services of four assistants. From the beginning she has conducted her establishment under the name of Ethel Hall and has maintained the same location. She is an acknowledged expert in the various lines of beauty culture.
In 1921 Miss Hall was united in marriage to Charles Arthur Lindstrom, who removed from Seattle to Bellingham, where for a number of years he was employed as superintendent by the Pacific-American Fisheries. Mrs. Lindstrom has recently purchased the old Bolster home on Eldridge avenue in Bellingham, one of the oldest residences of the city. Mrs. Lindstrom has two brothers: John S. Hall, of New York city; and Austin Smith Hall, of the United States navy.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 325
Linn, Arthur W.
Arthur W. Linn, one of the representative business men of Sumas and formerly mayor of the town, received no assistance at the outset of his career and all that he now possesses has been won through the medium of his own efforts. He was born January 12, 1884, in the state of Minnesota, and is a son of John and Mary (Linnell) Linn, natives of Sweden. They have lived in Minnesota since pioneer times, and the father has reached the ninetieth milestone on life's journey, while the mother is eighty-four years of age.
Arthur W. Linn received his education in the public schools of his native state and in 1901, when a youth of seventeen, came to Washington. He attended a business college of Seattle and worked for several years in Whatcom county, filling various positions. He saved as much a possible from his earnings and in 1911 embarked upon an independent venture. In partnership with Roy C. Tudor he opened a grocery store in Sumas, and they have since conducted the business. Their stock is always the best that the market affords, the prices are reasonable and the business in conducted in accordance with the highest standards of commercial ethics. The members of the firm are enterprising business men of good judgment and have established a large trade.
In 1907 Mr. Linn married Nannie Holmberg, who was born in Minnesota and came to Seattle during her girlhood. Six children were born to them, but Willard, the second son, died in infancy, and Ray, the fourth in order of birth, is also deceased. The others are: Vernon, a student at the University of Washington and a member of the Beta Kappa fraternity; Ruth, aged twelve years; and Leonard and James.
Mr. Linn is allied with the republican party and for three years was a member of the Sumas board of aldermen. He served as mayor for two years and his administration was strongly commended, being directed by a loyal and sincere regard for the people's interests. He is secretary and one of the trustees of the Sumas Roundup Association, which he aided in organizing, and along fraternal lines is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is loyal to every cause which he espouses and faithful to every duty, and the respect accorded him is well deserved.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 262
Liston, W. S.
W. S. Liston, one of the well known landowners of Mountain View township, is a progressive dairyman and orchardist, with a well kept and profitably tended place on rural main route No. 2 out of Ferndale. He was born on a farm in Sciota county, Ohio, December 8, 1866, and is a son of William Liston, who also was born there, a member of one of the pioneer families of that section of the state, his grandfather, a Pennsylvanian, having been one of the original landowners in that county. The old Liston tract still is held in the family. The pioneer Liston was one of a party that went down the river seeking new lands following the close of the Revolutionary war and became settlers in what now is the Portsmouth neighborhood. This party, proceeding by flatboats, had some thrilling adventures by the way. On one occasion three of the men left the boats in quest of wild turkeys, the apparent calls of which had been heard in the deep woods lining the banks of the river. All three were slain by Indians, the apparent turkey calls having been but a decoy sounded by the lurking redskins.
Reared on the home farm in Sciota county, W. S. Liston received good schooling and remained at home until he was twenty-three years of age when, in 1890, he went to western Kansas, preempted a tract of land and proceeded to prove up on his claim. After securing title he traded that tract for another quarter section, but the excessive drouth of that period soon discouraged him with Kansas prospects and he went back to Ohio. Three years later he returned to Kansas and some time afterward went into the Cherokee Nation and afterward into North Dakota, "prospecting around." In 1899 a low state of health brought him to the coast, seeking relief, and after a short stay in Seattle he became so well pleased with the situation and prospects here that he decided to make Washington his home. In that same year he entered claim to a homestead tract on Bell creek, four miles north of Deming in this county, did the essential clearing on the place and proved up on it. In 1903 he marred a Whatcom county school teacher and for two years thereafter was engaged in farming in Idaho. He then returned to Washington and after a year spent at Sunnyside in Yakima county, went to Los Angeles, where he became connected with the operations of the government survey, and in that city and at Pasadena he remained for three years. He then returned to Whatcom county and helped reclaim a two hundred acre tract of tide flats in the Marietta vicinity, at the same time establishing his home on the George Nolte ranch, which he operated as a tenant in charge. For three years he remained there and then bought a tract of timber land in Mountain View township, cleared it and remained there for three years, at the end of which time, in 1917, he bought the tract of forty acres on which he now is living, and he has since made his home there, he and his family being comfortably situated. Mr. Liston gives his chief attention to dairying and fruit culture and has a good dairy plant and a fine orchard, this latter including cherries, pears, apples and prunes. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
It was on January 28, 1903, at Bellingham, that Mr. Liston was united in marriage to Miss Ellen Wilson, and they have two sons: Paul Liston, who is employed at Bellingham, and Philip Liston, who is at home. Mrs. Liston was born in Missouri and is a daughter of C. T. and Isadora (Van Trese) Wilson, the latter of whom was born in Ohio and is still living, now past eighty-six years of age. The late C. T. Wilson, who died in Bellingham, June 30, 1916, was a Kentuckian by birth and a farmer by vocation. For many years he was a resident of Missouri but came to Washington in 1904 and here spent his last days. Mrs. Liston came to this county in 1892 on a visit and while here took a course in the Lynden Business College, the first institution of its kind opened in this part of the state. She then returned to Missouri, where she was engaged in teaching until her return to Whatcom county in 1899. She took a supplemental course in the State Normal School at Bellingham and was engaged in teaching here until after her marriage.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 924-925
Little, H. B.
One of the best remembered men of the western part of Whatcom county, whose memory is revered by all who knew him, is the late H. B. Little, whose death occurred in Manitoba in 1905. He was a man of energetic and industrious habits and spent his energies through a life of strenuous endeavor to make the most of his opportunities, while in all the relations of life he proved true to every trust. He possessed a sociable nature and by his genial and kindly attitude toward those about him won the respect and confidence of everyone. He was known as a man of upright character and honest motives and his integrity of purpose was beyond question. Mr. Little was born in Ontario, Canada, on the 22d of December, 1847, and was reared and educated in that locality. He was reared to the life of a farmer, which vocation he followed, also working at the carpenter's trade. He remained in Ontario until 1877, when he went to Michigan, where he remained until 1898, and then went to Manitoba, Canada, where for four years he was engaged in farming. In 1902 Mr. Little went to San Juan island, where he was engaged in truck gardening for about a year, at the end of which time he moved to Bellingham, where he lived for a few months. Then, because of failing health, he went back to Manitoba in the fall of 1904, remaining there until his death.
While living in Michigan Mr. Little was married to Miss Maggie J. Proctor, who also was born in Ontario, Canada, a daughter of William and Julia (Shore) Proctor, the latter of whom likewise was a native of Ontario. The father was born in Ireland, from which country he was brought to Canada when six years old, and there he followed the vocation of farming. To Mr. and Mrs. Little were born thirteen children, namely: Milicent, now deceased, who was the wife of W. W. Hatch and left four children; Vernon, who lives in Manitoba and who is married and has four children; Elmer, who lives in Bellingham, and who also is married and has four children; Ernest, now living on his mother's place, who is married and has two children; Mrs. Lina Bond, of Bellingham, who is the mother of two children; Pearl, who died at the age of about six and a half years; Henry, who lives on a farm near his mother's place and is married and has seven children; Mrs. Eva Merk, of Strandel, who is the mother of five children; Mrs. Ella Martin, of Bellingham, who is the mother of four children; Alice, who is engaged in teaching at Hoquiam; Myron, who met death by drowning in 1925; Myrtle, who is the wife of Harvey Loop, of Astoria; and Merrel, of Bellingham, who is married and has one child. Mr. Little was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in Ontario, and of the Ancient Order of Gleaners, which order he joined in Michigan.
After the death of her husband, Mrs. Little and her children moved back to Bellingham, where they remained until the spring of 1906, when she bought eighty acres of land, a part of the old Roeder ranch, and entered upon the task of developing a farm. Only about one acre of the land was cleared and the only highway to the place was a trail from the Noon road. They did their trading at Bellingham, the trip requiring practically a day. Mrs. Little lived on this place about twelve years and then bought a home in Bellingham, where she lived until 1925, when she returned to her farm, where she is now residing. The land is all cut over and about fifteen acres are cleared and in cultivation. For many years the farm was devoted to the raising of general crops and dairying, but Mrs. Little is now making preparations to go extensively into the chicken business, which has proven a successful line of work in this section. She is a woman of excellent business qualities, possessing sound judgment and excellent discrimination, and because of her energy and tact she has won a splendid reputation among her neighbors and friends. She has a charming personality, is kindly and generous and among her host of warm and devoted friends is held in the highest esteem for her genuine worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 377-378
Lester Livingston has long been a well known figure in commercial circles of Blaine and has spent the greater part of his life in this locality, contributing his share toward the development of its trade relations. A native of Minnesota, he was born in 1874 and was a youth of fifteen when his parents, Isaiah and Lucy (Pomeroy) Livingston, migrated to Washington. They settled in Blaine in 1889 and a year later the mother died. She was long survived by the father, who responded to the final summons in 1919.
Their son, Lester Livingston, attended the public schools of Minnesota, and in 1897 he made his first business venture, establishing a restaurant in Blaine. At the end of five years he withdrew from that field of activity and in 1902 opened an ice cream parlor. He also sells soft drinks and fine confectionery, and "Lester's" is one of the most popular establishments in the town, catering to a large and desirable patronage. He devotes much thought to the business, for which he is well adapted, and the service is first class in every particular. Mr. Livingston votes the republican ticket and his fraternal affiliations are with the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He possesses a genial nature, is always courteous and obliging and holds a secure place in the regard of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 298