Among the oldest and most high respected citizens of Whatcom county, Washington, is William Logan of Bellingham, who after a long, active and honorable career is now enjoying well earned retirement from active affairs. He has passed through many and varied experiences and now, in the golden sunset years of his life, he can look back with a large measure of satisfaction over a life record characterized by consistency in motive and action, feeling that his years have been well spent.
Mr. Logan was born on the Isle of Man in January, 1837, and is now eighty-nine years of age. He is descended from sterling old Scottish ancestry, his grandfather having gone from the land of hills and heather to the Isle of Man at a very early day. Our subject's parents, William and Elizabeth (Carmode) Logan, were also natives of the Isle of Man, where they spent their entire lives, the father having pursued the occupations of farmer and herring fisher. The junior William Logan attended school for a time, but he disliked the enforced discipline of the school room so much that he ran away, so at the age of sixteen years he was bound out to a blacksmith for a period of five years. After three years he was released from his contract and in that year, 1856, he came to the United States, going direct to Brimfield, Peoria county, Illinois, where he went to work as a blacksmith for an old acquaintance from his native land. After one year there, he went to Victoria, Knox county, Illinois, where he followed his trade for about a year and then returned to Brimfield. While visiting there he went to Peoria to hear the Lincoln-Douglas debate and rode part of the way on the train with Mr. Lincoln. Afterward he went to St. Louis, and then to Pike county, Missouri, back again to St. Louis, thence to Kansas City and from there to Independence, Kansas. While he was in Missouri the Civil war broke out, and Mr. Logan was one of a number of Union sympathizers whom the Confederates rounded up. They shot two of the men and ran the others out of the community, Mr. Logan luckily escaping without injury. He then went to Kansas City, where he enlisted in the Union cavalry, with which he served for a few months, when he suffered an injury, his right leg being broken, and he was confined in a hospital for almost a year. Thereafter, during the duration of the war, her frequently acted as guide for the Union troops through Missouri. In 1865 he went to Labette county, Kansas, where he followed blacksmithing until 1882, when he came to Whatcom county for the winter. The old Sehome Hotel was vacant at the time and, the owners naturally being desirous of having it occupied, he rented it for two dollars a month, and spent the winter there. In the spring of 1883 Mr. Logan went to Birch Bay and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, none of which was cleared but which did contain an old log cabin, while the only road into the land was an old trail. The woods were full of wild game and the place was literally a wilderness. Mr. Logan entered upon the task of clearing the land, and he eventually succeeded in removing the timber and brush from thirty acres and slashed the remainder. Here in the course of time he developed a good farmstead, which he cultivated with marked success, and he lived there continuously until 1920, when because of advancing years, he retired from active life and has since made his home in Bellingham. To Mr. Logan belongs the distinction of establishing the first blacksmith shop in Whatcom county, the building being located on the trail in Custer township, and here for many years he rendered efficient service to his neighbors. He followed this calling only during the winters, his summers for twenty-five years being spent with the Alaska Packing Association.
During the '70s, while living in Kansas, Mr. Logan was married to Miss Catherine Radcliff, who was born and reared in Illinois and whose death occurred at their home in Bellingham, November 14, 1922. Both of her parents were natives of the Isle of Man. To Mr. and Mrs. Logan were born the following children: John, who died about 1921, was married and had four children. Henry lives on a part of the homestead farm. Edward, who is an engineer and lives in Bellingham, is married and has one child. Harry, who is a member of the Bellingham police force, is married and has three children. Lester is married and is living with his father. Ella is the wife of Alfred J. White, of Blaine, and the mother of four children. Susie, who was the wife of Frank Ware, died in Idaho, leaving one child. Cora is the wife of Harry Congdon, of Seattle, and they have seven children. Grace is the wife of Thomas Allen, who owns a logging camp at Arlington, and they have one child. During the World war, Edward was in the United States navy and was in the transport service, making many trips back and forth between this country and France. Lester also enlisted for service and was in the training camp at Pullman.
Mr. Logan is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, belonging to the post at Blaine. He is a man of remarkable vitality and sprightliness for one of his advanced years and is a most interesting conversationalist, his personal recollections embracing many events of historic importance. He is a kindly and genial gentleman and among those who are so fortunate as to enjoy intimate acquaintance with him he is held in the highest esteem, while all respect and admire him for his genuine worth as a man and a citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 39-40
Loggie, George W.
George W. Loggie, who was president of the Whatcom Falls Mill Company and one of the best known lumbermen in the northwest, for many years having been identified with Bellingham's growth, died at his home on Utter street on the 24th of March, 1922, having attained the Psalmist's allotted span of three score years and ten. Mr. Loggie was one of those characters who are builders and useful citizens in any community in which they may reside, and he succeeded in spite of severe discouragements. His final and most monumental work was the building of the Whatcom Falls Mill Company's plant, comprising the largest cedar mills in the world, in whose establishment he was assisted by his brother, J. A. Loggie, who succeeded him in the presidency.
George W. Loggie was born in New Brunswick, Canada, near what is now known as Loggieville, on the 22d of June, 1851, and represented a family of Scotch ancestry. The period of his youth and early manhood was spent in his native province, where he familiarized himself with the lumber business in which many members of the family were engaged. In 1879 he journeyed westward across the continent to Washington and made his way to Puget sound, and for several years he was employed in lumber mills on the sound and in Oregon. He worked for the Puget Sound Mill company at Utsaladdy and Port Gamble and became superintendent of the Utsaladdy plant. Later he removed to Portland and afterward to Coos Bay, where he became general manager of all the Southern Oregon Company's great mills and timber holdings. After several years spent in Oregon, Mr. Loggie removed to Seattle and thence to Snohomish, where he operated a mill that subsequently was destroyed by fire. Later, at Port Angeles, he had a similar misfortune. Neither plant was insured.
In 1896 Mr. Loggie came to Bellingham. For a time he worked for C. X. Larrabee, and then, with his brother, J. A. Loggie, he leased and operated for five years the small mill at the mouth of Whatcom creek, just below Pickett bridge. After that the Whatcom Falls mill was established. It is one of the best known lumber properties in the west, as well as one of the most modernly equipped. While operating this mill Mr. Loggie became interested in timber and subsequently associated himself with Pat McCoy, of Seattle, head of the McCoy-Loggie Timber Company, which has heavy timber holdings in the Kulshan district. The following is an excerpt from a review of his career which appeared in the Bellingham Herald under date of March 25, 1922: "Mr. Loggie had great faith in Bellingham and he believed that it was destined to become a great lumber center. He was a hard worker, a good employer and a loyal friend."
On the 8th of August, 1892, Mr. Loggie wa united in marriage to Miss Amanda Ellen McKnight, a native of Douglas county, Oregon, and a daughter of William and Mary Ellen (Wright) McKnight, who were natives of Virginia and Indiana, respectively. Her father early made his way to Oregon, while her mother started across the plains for that state in 1847 in company with her parents, who made the journey with ox teams. The grandfather of Mrs. Loggie died en route and the grandmother, with saddened heart, continued the trip to Corvallis, Oregon, with her four young children. She took up a preemption claim in that vicinity and remained a resident of the Beaver state to the time of her death. Mary Ellen Wright was but five years of age when brought to the Pacific coast by her mother. Mr. and Mrs. Loggie became the parents of two daughters, namely: Adele, formerly Mrs. Gray, now Mrs. Harold Lowery, who resides at Bellingham and has two children; and Helen A., an art student in New York city.
In the exercise of his right of franchise Mr. Loggie supported the men and measures of the republican party. His religious faith was that of the Presbyterian church, while his widow and daughters belong to the Episcopal church. He had membership in both the York and Scottish Rite bodies of Masonry and was a worthy exemplar of the teachings and purposes of the craft. His life was actuated by worthy motives and high ideals in every relation and his death was deeply deplored by all who knew him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 70-71
Loggie, James A.
Like all men who have achieved the full measure of success, James A. Loggie has risen to the top through concentrated effort, combined with the ability to meet and master situations, and his constantly expanding powers have placed him with the industrial leaders of the Pacific northwest. He is widely known as the executive head of the Whatcom Falls Mill Company, a business which has greatly stimulated the growth of Bellingham. It has withstood the test of time and for more than thirty years has been in continuous operation.
A native of New Brunswick, Canada, Mr. Loggie left home when a boy of twelve, making his way to the States, and for two years worked in a store in New York city. He arrived in Port Gamble, Washington, in 1882 and entered the employ of the Puget Sound Mill Company. He was made paymaster and filled that position for eight years. Later he embarked in the real estate business in Seattle and was also a director of one of the banks of that city. He was financially interested in two sawmills but lost heavily in the money panic of 1893 and was compelled to start life anew. He chose the Bellingham Bay district as the scene of his activities and in partnership with his brother, G. W. Loggie, organized the Whatcom Falls Mill Company in 1895. They rented the old Kansas Colony mill, which was then owned by C. X. Larrabee, and later they leased another mill on the south side. In order to meet the demands of their rapidly growing business they erected a modern plant on the wharf at the foot of G street, completing the structure in 1903.
The company specializes in red cedar products and manufactures bevel siding, ceiling, finish pickets, flooring, mouldings, lath, shingles, porch columns, battens, tanks, etc., selling only in wholesale lots. The sawmill has a daily capacity of two hundred thousand feet and that of the planing mill is one hundred thousand feet. The box factory has a capacity of fifty thousand feet and the shingle mill is capable of producing six hundred thousand shingles each day. The corporation buys its logs in the open market and the finished product is shipped to all parts of the globe. The firm has the largest and best equipped plant of the kind in the world and during the past ten years has distributed nearly eighteen million dollars in Bellingham for labor and logs. It has two hundred and fifty men in its service and twenty-five employes have been with the firm since the founding of the business. Governed by high ideals of service, the company has aided in raising the standards of American industry and its finished products are the result of years of striving for perfection. A. E. Loggie is secretary of the firm and since the demise of G. W. Loggie in March, 1923, the subject of this sketch has been president and manager of the business. His correct estimate of men has enabled him to fill the many branches of the industry with employes who seldom fail to meet his expectations, and in its control he brings to bear ripe experience, unerring judgment and administrative ability of a high order.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 266
Long, David & George P.
George P. Long, a well known and progressive young dairyman of Mountain View township, is a native son of Ferndale township, having been born on the place adjacent to his own November 25, 1895. He is a son of David and Mary A. F. (Long) Long, the latter still living in Mountain View township. She was born in Illinois and is a daughter of Charles and Mary Jane (Partridge) Long, the latter also born in that state. Charles Long, one of the honored homesteaders of Whatcom county, whose last days were spent here, was a native of England who was married in Illinois, later lived in Kansas and then came to Washington and homesteaded a quarter section of land in Mountain View township, where he and his wife spent the remainder of their lives.
The late David Long, who died at his home in Mountain View township, July 13, 1921, at the age of seventy-two, was born in the vicinity of Galena in northwestern Illinois and was early orphaned. His parents were natives of Ireland. Reared in the Galena neighborhood, when quite young he began working in the mines of that section and when the Civil war came on enlisted in behalf of the Union, serving until the close of the war. He became an engineer, skilled in the operation of stationary engines, and was thus engaged for years in the coal fields of Illinois, Pennsylvania and Kansas, from which latter state he came to Washington and located at Seattle. Some time later he came to Whatcom county and after prospecting about a bit took over half of the homestead claim that had been entered by his father-in-law, Charles Long, and settled down to farming, in due time developing there a good piece of property. In this connection it may be stated that these two families of Longs are not of blood kinship. The farm tract on which David Long established his home was uncleared and unimproved and he had the task of bringing it under cultivation, but this he accomplished and at the time of his death had a well improved and profitably cultivated place. A part of his original holding he had sold to advantage but still owned sixty-three acres, his operations there being chiefly confined to dairying. Mr. Long took an interested part in the general affairs of the community, was a member of the local grange of the Patrons of Husbandry, for many years a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and was a director of the Farmers Mutual Telephone Company. To him and his wife were born seven children, two daughters and five sons, and the family is well established in this county.
Reared on the home farm in Mountain View township, George P. Long had two years in high school and early became an active factor in the labors of developing and improving the home place, working in association with his father until the latter's death, and since then has been carrying on operations on his own behalf, occupying the farm adjacent to his old home place. Mr. Long is regarded as one of the energetic and progressive young dairymen of the neighborhood and has an up-to-date plant. His herd leader is a registered Jersey and his present excellent herd is being continually graded up. In addition to his own place he has in charge the operations on his mother's place, the two combining very well. Mr. Long is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is doing his part in extending the interest of the aggressive and useful organization. He also is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
On October 20, 1920, at Blaine, Mr. Long was united in marriage to Miss Maude Louise Shintaffer, who was born in the city of Vancouver and is a daughter of James and Margaret Shintaffer, both now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Long one child was born, Beverly June, who lived but three days. Mr. and Mrs. Long have a pleasant home and take a proper part in the general social activities of the community in which they reside.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 842-843
Longwood, Russel C.
Russel C. Longwood is a well known and progressive young merchant of Bellingham, being the proprietor of an up-to-date shoe store on Cornwall avenue, that city. He was born in Kansas, July 20, 1891, and is a son of J. W. and Sarah E. Longwood, who became residents of Bellingham in 1916, their son Russel having settled here about four years prior to that time.
Russel C. Longwood completed his schooling with a two years' course in the State Agricultural College in Kansas. In 1912, the year in which he attained his majority, he came to Bellingham, and his interests ever since have centered here. In 1918 he entered the army to serve his country in the World war, and he was in service until mustered out some time after the close of the conflict. In August, 1920, he bought the Berg Brothers shoe store at No. 1312 Cornwall avenue, and he has since been engaged in business there as the proprietor of a well stocked shoe store, also having a modern equipment for shoe repairing.
On May 4, 1918, in Bellingham, Mr. Longwood was united in marriage to Miss Nan Hughes of that city, and they have one child, a son, James Longwood. Mr. and Mrs. Longwood are republicans and are deeply interested in local civic and community affairs. Mr. Longwood is a member of the Bellingham Kiwanis Club, whose motto is "We Build," and in his commercial activities he tries to live up the high constructive principle embodied in that motto.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 62
Longwood, W. G.; D.D.S.
Dr. W. G. Longwood, who has been engaged in the practice of dentistry at Bellingham during the past fifteen years, has gained a well merited reputation as a skilled and able representative of this profession. He was born at Bloomfield, Iowa, on the 16th of July, 1884, a son of J. W. and Eliza (Cary) Longwood. The father, who devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits throughout his active business career, is now living retired at Bellingham.
W. G. Longwood received his professional training in the Western Dental College of Kansas City, Missouri, from which he was graduated with the degree of D. D. S. in 1908. Thereafter he engaged in the practice of dentistry at Waverly, Kansas, until the 1st of January, 1911, in which year he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and opened an office at Bellingham. Through the intervening period, covering a decade and a half, he has devoted an extensive and lucrative practice in the field of his chosen calling, and his skill has become widely recognized.
On the 15th of July, 1915, Dr. Longwood wedded Miss Corinne Lachmund, of Seattle, Washington. They are the parents of a son and a daughter, Wilbert Louis and Rosemary Louise.
In his political views Dr. Longwood is a stanch republican. He belongs to the Optimist Club, of which he is now serving as president, and also has membership in the Country Club. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and with the Masonic order, in which he has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and has crossed the sands of the desert with the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. Dr. Longwood cooperates in many measures for the public good, and he occupies an enviable position as a citizen, in his professional relations and in social circles.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 60
Loomis, R. P.
R. P. Loomis, the executive head of the Union Trust Company of Bellingham, has devoted his life to the banking business. He was born at Fairfield, Iowa, in 1878 and is a son of A. and Martha (Wylie) Loomis, pioneers of South Dakota. For many years the father was a recognized leader in banking circles of Redfield, where he is now living retired, but the mother has passed away.
Mr. Loomis completed his education in Redfield College and was afterward appointed deputy treasurer of Spink county, South Dakota, acting in that capacity for two years. He next became cashier of the Western National Bank of Mitchell, South Dakota, and in 1908 came to the state of Washington. He established the First National Bank of Malden and was its cashier for three years, after which he severed his connections with the institution. He then went to Seattle as cashier of the Metropolitan Bank and in 1920 accepted a similar position in the Northwestern National Bank of Bellingham. Local conditions and nationwide movements influenced the directors to apply for a trust company charter and on July 1, 1925, the Union Trust Company of Bellingham was incorporated, starting business with a capital of one hundred thousand dollars and a surplus of twenty thousand dollars.
The officers are R. P. Loomis, president; P. H. Browne, vice president; and Harold H. Lutz, cashier. The board of directors is composed of Dr. Albert I. Bouffleur, chief surgeon of the Chicago, Milwaukee and Saint Paul railway, Seattle; W. P. Brown, judge of the superior court; P. H. Browne, manager of the Caine-Grimshaw Company; Clay C. Davis, manager of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association; Dr. S. S. Howe, a specialist in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat; R. P. Loomis; T. C. McHugh, president of Montague & McHugh, Inc.; Edward H. Miller, senior member of the firm of Miller & Hawkins, realtors; Dr. E. W. Simpson, physician and surgeon; and Pelagius Williams, head of the social science department of the State Normal School. More that thirty other successful business and professional men are stockholders in the corporation, thus carrying out the original plan of a community bank, having sympathetic contact with all lines of trade, industry and the professions. The company deals in investment securities, including real estate mortgages, and in addition to its trust powers possesses all of the privileges conferred on banks. Owing to his broad experience, administrative power and financial acumen Mr. Looks is exceptionally well qualified for the responsibility of directing the activities of the institution. It is thoroughly equipped to render important service to the city, which now has a population of thirty-six thousand and is situated in one of the richest counties, with the most varied products and industries in the state of Washington.
In June, 1903, Mr. Loomis married Miss Edna Stark, of Redfield, South Dakota, and they now have a family of five children: Esther, a senior in the State College at Pullman; Clifford, who is attending the State Normal School in Bellingham; and Ernystene, Vernon and Everett, all of whom are public school pupils. Mr. Loomis is a prominent Kiwanian, serving as lieutenant governor of the district, and has been president of the local club. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and is chairman of the members' council of the Chamber of Commerce, of which he is also a trustee. Mr. Loomis is a business man of the highest ability and integrity and is a loyal, progressive citizen, filling an important place in the life of his community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 116-117
Success is never known to smile upon the idler or dreamer and she never courts those who scoff at honest labor, only those who have diligently sought her favor being crowned with her blessings. In tracing the history of the prosperous and enterprising farmer whose name forms the caption to this sketch, it is found that his success has been gained by indomitable industry, well directed energy and the exercise of sound judgment, elements which enter very largely into every successful career. Carl Loreen is a native of Sweden and first saw the light of day September 19, 1868. He is a son of Bengt Loren and Anna (Bretta) Swenson, both of whom spent their lives and died in that country, where the father had been a lifelong farmer. To them were born eight children, four of whom died in infancy, the others being: Malcom who died in 1912; Mrs. Alma S. Estergreen; and Carl, the subject of this sketch, and Leonard, who lives at Clearbrook, Whatcom county.
Carl Loreen was educated in the public schools of his native land, where he lived until 1888, when, at the age of twenty years, he sought a field of larger opportunity for individual advancement and emigrated to the United States. In that same year he came to Washington and for a time was employed in sawmills and logging camps. In 1892 he bought twenty acres of land, comprising a part of the Estergreen homestead, and to the clearing of this tract he at once devoted his attention and energy. He has made many fine improvements on the place, including the building of a good barn in 1897, a comfortable and attractive house in 1902, a silo in 1914 and another silo in 1921, as well as other necessary farm buildings, so that today he is well equipped for up-to-date farming under the best of conditions. In 1898 he bought eighteen additional acres and now has all of his land cleared and under the plow, raising large crops of hay and sufficient corn to fill his silos. He gives special attention to dairy farming, keeping twenty head of milk cows and young stock, some of which are pure bred, and a registered bull. In addition to his home farm, Mr. Loreen also bought, in 1916, twenty acres of land three miles west of Sumas, and is now engaged in clearing it. In 1926 he bought ten more acres of land adjoining the twenty acre tract on the north side.
In 1902 Mr. Loreen was married to Miss Nida Josephine Larson, who was born and reared in Sweden, coming to the United States in 1900. To this union were born four children, namely: Hilding Gottfried, born March 24, 1903, who is a graduate of the Nooksack high school; Ruby Josephine, who was born in 1905 and died in 1908; Carl Oscar, born September 8, 1907, who was graduated from high school in May, 1926; and Ruby Agnes Anita, born December 16, 1909, who is attending high school. The mother of these children died December 16, 1909, and Mr. Loreen has never re-married, having devoted himself to the rearing of his children, the eldest of whom was but six years old when his mother died. He has bravely nurtured and cared for them and now they are a source of endless comfort and joy to him. Mr. Loreen is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, the Whatcom County Poultry Association and the Whatcom County Farm Bureau, as well as the Whatcom County Potato Grower's Association. His religious affiliation is with the First Lutheran church at Clearbrook, of which he is a liberal supporter. In every avenue of life's activities in which he has engaged he has been true to every trust, and by a life consistent in motive and action he has earned a high place in the regard and esteem of his fellow citizens, who appreciate his worth as a man and a citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 468-469
Loring, B. W.
Each man who strives to fulfill his part in connection with human life and human activities is deserving of recognition, whatever may be his field of endeavor, and the records of the subject of this sketch is that of a man who knows not the word idleness, and whose career of persistent and well directed industry and gained for him well merited success. B. W. Loring was born at Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1856, and is a son of Barnes and Mary (Whedeon) Loring, the latter of whom, a native of New York state, died in Kansas. Barnes Loring, who also was born in New York, came to Whatcom county, Washington, in 1887 and lived here with his son, our subject, until his death, which occurred in 1919, at the age of eighty-seven years. On coming to this locality he had bought a homestead right in Lynden township.
B. W. Loring secured his education in the public schools of his native city and then turned his attention to railroad work, becoming a telegraph operator for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, with which he remained for nine years, running a transfer point station, and later became ticket agent and telegraph operator for the Northwestern Railroad at Tama City, Iowa. He then took a similar position with the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad, after which he was again with the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul road until 1887, when he came to Lynden. He had accepted a position with a land company in California but decided not to follow that line of work and came to Whatcom county. He was appointed tide land appraiser for the state, holding that position for several years. On arriving in this county he first stopped at Bellingham, spending his first night at the old Terminus Hotel, and after going to Lynden he boarded for several weeks with Mrs. Judson. He then built a small shack on his father's land, where he lived for a few months, but while there he and his wife lost their only son, and they soon afterward returned to the east. For a short time Mr. Loring again worked for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, after which he went to Savannah, Missouri, where he lived for about a year. He then returned to Whatcom county and engaged in the land business, buying and selling a good deal of property during the "boom" period in Blaine, Drayton Harbor, Lynden and other favorable points in this section of the county, and during this period he also acquired a small house in Lynden. When the Bellingham Bay & British Columbia Railroad was completed through this locality, Mr. Loring became station agent at Lynden, holding that position for ten years, and then, in 1905, he bought one hundred and fifty-five acres in Lynden township, of which he has sold all but seventy acres comprising his present farm. When he obtained the place about five acres were cleared, the remainder being heavily covered with alder and cottonwood trees and brush. By much hard and persistent labor he has cleared the entire tract and has made many permanent and substantial improvements, including a comfortable and attractive house, a substantial barn and other necessary farm buildings, so that he now owns one of the most desirable farms in this locality. He gives considerable attention to dairying, having formerly kept thirty cows but now keeping only ten. His fields are well cultivated and productive though he does not work them as extensively as formerly. He is up-to-date and progressive in all his methods and has met with well deserved success since locating here.
Mr. Loring was married, in 1882, at Nevada, Iowa, to Miss Ella Wright, who was born and reared in Freeport, Illinois, and who was doubly orphaned when but a small child. The only child born to Mr. and Mrs. Loring was Benjamin Wright Loring, who died in 1888. Fraternally Mr. Loring is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. He is also a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He has alway(s) maintained a deep interest in the general welfare of the community, cooperating with his fellow citizens in the advancement of all measures for the public good. A man of kindly and accommodating disposition, he has a wide acquaintance throughout this section of the county, among whom are a host of warm and loyal friends, who esteem him for his genuine worth as a man and citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 884-885
Lucas, E. P.
Men of efficiency and high character are the type of workers the business and industrial worlds of today are eagerly seeking, and in this classification belongs E. P. Lucas, widely known throughout the Pacific northwest as general manager of the Bellingham Coal Mines. He was born at Topeka, Kansas, in 1885 and is a son of Henry and Isabel Lucas, the former of whom is auditor of the Rock Island Railroad Company.
E. P. Lucas attended one of the high schools of Kansas City and was also a student at Bayview College in Texas. For several years he was a railroad employee, working in the operating department. For two years he operated silver mines in that country and after his return to the United States [from where?]came to Concrete, Washington, as manager of the Baker River & Shuksan Railway. He remained with that line for seven years, ably discharging his duties, and for one and a half years was manager of the Eburne Steel Company of Vancouver, British Columbia. In 1919 he returned to Washington and has since been general manager of the Bellingham Coal Mines. Mr. Lucas is a business man of broad experience and marked executive force and his services have been highly satisfactory.
The Bellingham Coal Mines are located on the Pacific highway, about a mile from the city hall, and seven years ago the property now occupied by the company was in pasture land. The business was incorporated in 1918 with John C. Eden as president, Michael Earles as vice president and Joseph G. Earles as secretary. Following the death of Michael Earles on June 15, 1919, James Kane was elected vice president, while the other officers have remained the same. The corporation employs two hundred and fifty miners and owns the largest single commercial producing coal mine in Washington. In September, 1918, the first coal was taken out and the daily output now amounts to thirteen hundred tons. To produce this daily tonnage vast underground development was required, and the accomplishment of this development work while daily producing is a record few mines can touch. In 1925 the total production was three hundred thousand, two hundred and thirty-five tons, or an average of twenty-five thousand tons per month. During that year the Bellingham Coal Mines put approximately one million dollars into the stream of commercial activity for payroll and mining supplies, including power, powder, mine timbers, etc., and outside of repair parts for mining machines all of their supplies are purchased locally.
The vein is eight feet thick and the coal is sub-bituminous and non-coking. It contains eleven thousand, four hundred British thermal units and is known throughout the state for its excellent preparation. To secure this preparation requires elaborate screening and washing facilities, and the mine is supplied with the latest equipment. In order to secure lump coal electric machines are used to cut the coal, which is then loaded in cars and transported to the surface. It is next placed in a rotary dump and fed to shaking screens, where it is sized. The lump coal passes over a three and a half inch round perforation, then goes over a picking table, where it is hand picked and discharged on to a loading boom which transfers it to a railroad car with minimum breakage, or direct to storage bins. The coal that passes through the three and a half inch screen opening is put through jig washers, which eliminate the clay and other impurities, and from the washers is elevated to storage bins. To wash the coal requires the use of one thousand gallons of water per minute. At this writing there are approximately forty-two miles of underground workings, and the mine is down three thousand feet, on a slope of five working levels, and at a vertical depth of seven hundred feet. To produce the daily tonnage fourteen miles of track are necessary, and twelve mules keep this tonnage moving to the main slope, where cars are started to the surface by the main hoist.
In 1915 Mr. Lucas was married, in Bellingham, to Miss Florence G. Christie, a native of Maine, and they have a son, John. Mr. Lucas is a Knight Templar Mason and in the consistory has taken the eighteenth degree, while he is also a Shriner. He belongs to the Kiwanis, Country and Arctic Clubs and the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce, and is a republican in his political convictions. Mr. Lucas has attempted only those things which are of importance in the world's work and has risen to the top through merit alone.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 927-928
Ludwigson, Barney Stephen
Whatcom county sustained the loss of one of its well known and highly esteemed citizens in the death of Barney Stephen Ludwigson, who passed away at Bellingham on the 22d of May, 1919, when fifty-two years of age. He was born in Iceland in 1867 and spent the period of his boyhood on his native island and in Denmark, where he was graduated from college. At the age of twenty he immigrated to America, settling first in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, where he was engaged in clerking for four years. On the expiration of that period, about 1891, he made his way westward to Seattle, Washington, where he remained in the service of a wholesale concern for a number of years. Subsequently he resided for about a year at Point Roberts in Whatcom county, after which he spent three years in the Canadian province of British Columbia, being employed in the canneries as cooking-room foreman. He then returned to Point Roberts but a short time later, about 1906, removed to Blaine, Whatcom county, where he was placed in charge of a dry kiln in a large mill. Next he accepted the position of manager of the George & Barker store at Point Roberts, where he remained for ten years. He filled the position of township treasurer and also served as postmaster for a time, discharging his official duties in a highly efficient and creditable manner. When his health became impaired in 1918 he took up his abode at Bellingham, where he departed this life the following year.
In 1894 Mr. Ludwigson was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Hall, also a native of Iceland, who was eleven years old when she came to America with her foster mother, who located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. At the age of fifteen years Mrs. Ludwigson removed to Seattle, Washington. She was dependent on her own resources for a livelihood from the age of eleven until the time of her marriage. She became the mother of ten children, as follows: Mrs. Lillian Waters, who is deceased; Henry R., residing at Bellingham; Mrs. Margaret Loft, who has two children and who makes her home at Bellingham; Julius, also living at Bellingham; Eggert, who is engaged in the real estate business at Bellingham; Vivian, a high school student; Carl, George and Alma, who are also attending school; and Leslie, who has passed away.
Mr. Ludwigson gave his political allegiance to the republican party, while his religious faith was that of the Lutheran church, to which his widow and children also belong. Mrs. Ludwigson resides at No. 2518 Walnut street in Bellingham, where she has an extensive circle of warm friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 162