For forty-three years Hugh Macaulay has been a leader of agricultural progress in Lawrence township and his name is inseparable associated with the history of its development. A native of Canada, he was born March 15, 1856, in the province of Nova Scotia, and his parents were Norman and Margaret (McLean) Macaulay. He was reared on his father's farm and received a public school education. In 1880, when a young man of twenty-four, he went to Leadville, Colorado, and in 1883 came to Washington. He preempted land in Lawrence township in which he was the third settler, and has seen the trackless wilderness transformed into a prosperous farming community with all the advantages of modern civilization. Mr. Macaulay also homesteaded one hundred and twenty acres and has some of the best land in the county. He has a fine threshing outfit and through wise management and scientific methods has developed one of the model farms of the state.
In 1886 Mr. Macaulay married Miss Annie Breaton, also a native of Nova Scotia, and they have become the parents of five children. Norman, the eldest, was the first white child born in Deming. He married Mildred Cook and is employed as a scaler in logging camps of Washington. His brother Murray is engaged in merchandising at Deming. Margaret was married to Robert Graham, who conducts a drug store in Bellingham. Jessie is the wife of Judson Van Lue and resides at Clearlake, Washington. John is operating the homestead and has a wife and two children.
Mr. Macaulay is adherent of the republican party and served for six years on the school board, making a fine record in that connection. His work has marked a distinct advance in agricultural standards in Lawrence township and his career has been conspicuously useful.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 609
Macaulay, Murray D.
Murry D. Macaulay has long been a prominent figure in mercantile circles of Deming and represents one of the old and highly esteemed families of northwestern Washington. He was born March 29, 1889, in Whatcom county, and is a son of Hugh and Annie (Beaton) Macaulay, natives of Nova Scotia, Canada. They crossed the United States border, and in the fall of 1883 the father entered a homestead and preemption claim in Whatcom county. This region was then a wilderness into which few settlers had penetrated, and after years of unceasing toil he succeeded in clearing the land and bringing it under the plow. He is now the owner of one of the finest farms in the district, and his public spirit had led to his service on the school board.
M. D. Macaulay was reared on his father's ranch and attended the schools in the vicinity of his home. He soon became familiar with agricultural pursuits and aided in the operation of the farm until he reached the age of nineteen. In 1908 he came to Deming and purchased an interest in a meat market, forming a partnership with J. E. Kenney. With the exception of about two years Mr. Macaulay has since been engaged in this business, and the shop is one of the best in this locality. The firm sells only the best grade of meat, and a well deserved reputation for honesty and reliability has brought to it a large trade.
In 1915 Mr. Macaulay was united in marriage to Miss Pearl McLeod, of Bellingham, Washington, and they have three children: Hugh, Jean and Neil. Mr. Macaulay votes the republican ticket and takes the interest of a good citizen in public affairs, particularly in educational matters. He acts as chairman of the board of the grammar school and is clerk of the Mount Baker district union high school. He is connected with the Knights of Pythias and Independent Order of Odd Fellows and his wife is one of the Daughters of Rebekah. Mr. Macaulay is an enterprising young business man and a public-spirited citizen and measures up to high standards in every relation of life.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 565
Magnusson, J. O.
Unqualified commendation is deserved by the man who through his own honest efforts rises from a lowly position to one of influence in the business world, and of this type is J. O. Magnusson, long a leader of commercial activity in Blaine. A son of Oddur and Margaret Magnusson, he was born February 9, 1875, and is a native of Iceland. His father is deceased, and the mother now resides in the province of Saskatchewan, Canada.
J. O. Magnusson studied at home and has broadened his education by reading, observation and experience. He went to North Dakota in 1888, when a boy of thirteen, and obtained work in the establishment of a harness maker. He applied himself diligently to his tasks and eventually mastered the trade. He saved as much as possible from his earnings and at length was in a position to open a shop of his own, choosing Cavalier, North Dakota, as the scene of his business activities. He prospered in the venture and in 1906 embarked in the dry goods business in Blaine, also handling shoes and men's furnishings. He has been engaged in general merchandising since 1907 and occupies a building twenty-five by one hundred feet in dimensions. He carries a fine stock of shoes, hats and ready-to-wear clothing for men, women and children. His goods are attractively displayed and his business is conducted along modern up-to-date lines. He has always followed the policy of fair and honorable dealing and a large and constantly increasing patronage is indicative of his prestige as a merchant and business man.
In 1901 Mr. Magnusson married Miss Emma Johnson, who is also a native of Iceland and who during her childhood was brought by her parents to North Dakota. Mr. and Mrs. Magnusson have six daughters: Emily, Laura and Katherine, who were born in Cavalier, North Dakota; and Esther, Florence and Alice, who are natives of Blaine. Mr. Magnusson exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measurers of the republican party and for five years has been a member of the town council, in which connection he has performed much important work in the field of public service. He is one of the energetic members of the Chamber of Commerce and along fraternal lines is connected with the Independent Order of Foresters and the Moose lodge. He is a man of progressive ideas and high principles, and the respect entertained for him is well deserved.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 385
Maleng, Martin J.
Martin J. Maleng is an influential member of the Scandinavian colony of Acme township and the owner of one of the valuable farms of this locality. A son of John and Christiana Maleng, he was born November 13, 1867, and is a native of Norway. He was reared on his father's farm and soon became familiar with the various phases of agricultural life. When a young man of twenty-two he responded to the lure of the new world and in 1880 arrived at Crookston, Minnesota. He had saved the sum of three hundred dollars and was also the owner of a team of horses. In 1892 he purchased a quarter section near Crookston and for several years devoted his energies to the cultivation of the farm. In 1907 he sold the property and came to Whatcom county, buying a tract of one hundred and thirteen acres in Acme township, where he has since resided. He has cleared forty acres, and a large portion of the land is used for pasture, while the balance is covered with timber. He rebuilt the house and has a good barn and a modern dairy. He understands farming in principle and detail and his work is systematically conducted.
Mr. Maleng was married, in Minnesota, to Miss Sigrid Strand, also a Norwegian, and they have five children: George, at home; Ruth, who is the wife of Patrick Scott, of Bellingham and the mother of one child, a daughter; John, who resides with his parents; and Henry and Normand, both high school students. Mr. Maleng belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is keenly interested in its affairs. He is Lutheran in religious faith and his political allegiance is give to the republican party. He has been road boss and for four terms was a member of the board of township supervisors, doing much constructive work. He is a strong champion of the cause of education and with the exception of two years has served on the school board throughout the period of his residence in the township. He has aided in pushing forward the wheels of progress in northwestern Washington and at the same time has won that individual prosperity which is the legitimate reward of a life of industry and thrift.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 632
Among the progressive business firms of Ferndale none enjoys a higher reputation than does that of Manner Brothers, dealers in automobiles. Jonathan Manner, the senior partner, was born August 8, 1890, and is a native of Finland. In 1910, when twenty years of age, he severed home ties, joining the tide of immigration to the new world, and arrived in New York city on the 21st of April. He spent a short time in the eastern metropolis and then started for the Pacific coast, reaching Bellingham, Washington, April 27, 1910. He obtained a position with the Diehl Motor Company and for seven years was in the employ of that corporation, gaining valuable experience. In 1917 he bought a farm near Ferndale, and there was also a garage on the property. This he operated for about seven years and also cultivated the soil, adding many improvements to the place. In 1924 he decided to locate in Ferndale and on June 21 purchased a corner lot sixty-two by one hundred feet, erecting a fine garage of cement construction. He has been associated with his brother George since 1912, and the firm of Manner Brothers now conducts a large business, employing a capable stenographer and five skilled mechanics. They are local agents for the Chevrolet cars and their repair shop is equipped for first class service.
The partners are aggressive young business men, possessing foresight, wisdom and executive force, and have adopted a policy of fair and honorable dealing which commends itself to public confidence and support. Both are married and Jonathan Manner has one child. He is independent in his political views, placing the qualifications of a candidate above the narrow bounds of partisanship, and for eight years has been identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is in complete accord with every movement for public betterment and has thoroughly demonstrated his worth as a citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 913
Manson, Charles O.
Charles O. Manson, one of the honored pioneers of Whatcom county, was long numbered among the foremost agriculturists of Van Wyck township and is now living retired in Bellingham, enjoying in his later years the ease and comfort purchased by a life of industry and thrift. A native of Sweden, he was born April 25, 1857, and his parents, Magnus and Katrina Manson, were lifelong residents of that country.
Charles O. Manson is the only surviving member of a family of eight children. His boyhood was spent on his father's farm and the public schools of the neighborhood afforded him an education. In 1873, when a youth of sixteen, he severed home ties and came to the United States in the hope of bettering his fortunes. He first located at La Fayette, Indiana, and in 1876 left the Hoosier state, going to Austin, Texas, where he remained for nine months. He then returned to Indiana but soon afterward made his way to Illinois and for a few years was employed in car shops of Chicago. In 1881 he journeyed to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and for three years was with a bridge crew engaged in construction work for the Northern Pacific Railroad. In 1884 Mr. Manson started for the Pacific coast and in the spring of that year arrived in Whatcom county. Soon afterward he entered a homestead of eighty acres in Van Wyck township, in which he was one of the earliest settlers, and is therefore thoroughly familiar with every phase of frontier life in northwestern Washington. The district was heavily wooded and Mr. Manson was obliged to carry all supplies from Whatcom on his back, as there were no roads in the township. He was forced to depend upon his own resources for many of the necessities of live, but through perseverance and determination he surmounted all difficulties. He built a log house and for several years devoted his energies to the arduous task of clearing the land and bringing it under the plow. He had forty acres under cultivation and the rich soil yielded bountiful harvests. He erected good barns and other outbuildings, also a nine-room house, in which he installed many modern conveniences. He followed advanced methods of agriculture and was considered one of the most progressive farmers of the district. In 1914 he sold the ranch and built a beautiful home in Bellingham, in which he has since resided, spending the evening of life in freedom from care and toil, surrounded by his children, grandchildren and hosts of stanch fiends.
Mr. Manson was married May 16, 1883, to Miss Marttea Colstrom, a native of Sweden and the only child of Nelse and Marttea Colstrom, the latter of whom died when Mrs. Manson was an infant. The father came to the United States in 1866. He was one of the pioneer settlers of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and spent the remainder of his life in that city, passing away about 1912. Mr. and Mrs. Manson have a family of seven children. Carl, the first born, is a bachelor and lives in New York city. William is also unmarried and follows the profession of a stationary engineer in the province of British Columbia, Canada. Clinton is married and makes his home in Albany, New York. Mrs. Hulda Chevalier is living in Bellingham, Washington, and has three children: James, Hope and Jack. Victor also resides in Bellingham and has a wife and two children: Victor B. and Shirley. Grace is a member of the United States Nurses Corps and follows her profession at Tacoma. Mrs. Hazel Hayden, the youngest of the children, makes her home in Glacier, Washington. Clinton Manson enlisted in the aviation corps as soon as our country joined the allies in the conflict against Germany and was wounded while at the front. His brothers, Victor and Carl, also participated in the World war and all volunteered for service, prompted by the spirit of patriotism. Carl joined the hospital corps and Victor served in the United States navy. Clinton spent two years overseas, earning a place on the honor roll, and was released from military duty in the spring of 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Manson may well be proud of their sons, who are a credit to their upbringing, measuring up to the full stature of American manhood and citizenship.
Mr. Manson is connected with the Loyal Order of Moose and was formerly prominent in the work of the Grange of Van Wyck township. He is an advocate of good roads, educational advancement and all worthy public projects. He is a man of keen intelligence, well informed on many subjects, and of sterling honesty and fine character.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 902-903
Marcusen, Captain Andrew Karenius
Following the death of Captain Andrew Karenius Marcusen, veteran seaman and one of the best known pioneers of the Bay country, in the spring of 1923, Bellingham Bay Lodge, No. 44, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he was an honored member, unanimously adopted resolutions of respect for the memory of the deceased, together with an expression of sympathy and condolence on behalf of his widow, in which the lodge took occasion "to mourn the passing of one who, though young in our fraternity, has been one of the good citizens of our city for many years." These resolutions in memoriam, which were ordered spread on the records of the lodge and a copy of which was sent to Captain Marcusen's widow, set out formally that "Andrew Marcusen was born and reared in Norway and, like his ancestors of old, became a seafaring man, sailing the seas to all the principal ports of the world. Thirty six years ago he came to Sehome, now part of Bellingham, bought lots on Elk street and other streets, built buildings and became one of the substantial and enterprising men of our city.
"In his youth he had experienced, as a sailor, the hard side of life, which enabled him to appreciate the good things and the wonderful opportunities this country offers to those who will apply themselves and strive for the best. As men and Masons we loved him for his sterling character, his true friendship and his genial smile. We will miss him as a member of our lodge, but we will miss him more as a neighbor and friend. His kind greeting and hearty handclasp will long have a place in our memory. To his widow we extend our sincere sympathy and assure her of our friendship, and that we are ready to assist her in any way." An appreciation of this fine old mariner in the Washington Posten, Seattle, was along the same sympathetic lines, the observation there being made that "reserved and quiet in manner, Captain Marcusen had a large circle of friends and was well known and liked. He always had a friendly word and an encouraging smile for every one. His loyalty as a citizen he gave expression as a booster and investor in Bellingham, where he from the first built several structures, finally a pretty home on the hillside, overlooking the Bay, where he was to spend old age with his wife. Only seven months was he to enjoy it, and his wife will mourn his departure, but also rejoice in happy memories."
Captain Marcusen was born in the kingdom of Norway, son of a sea captain, in the year 1859, and was twenty-seven years of age when in 1887 he came to the Sehome settlement (now Bellingham). When fourteen years of age he had gone to sea and when in his twentieth year had earned his navigation papers and thereafter until coming to this coast was master of vessels in his home waters and on the Atlantic. He arrived in Portland in 1887 and afterward sailed the Pacific. His first step upon arrival here was to take out citizenship papers and to secure his license as a navigator under American registry. This license was granted at Seattle and he at once engaged in coastwise shipping, this service being mostly rendered in Puget Sound and Alaskan waters. He was skipper of vessels in the trade of the Alaska Packers Association and for some time was captain of the "Royal," a government coast survey vessel. He also had a proprietary interest in the "Alpha" and during the many years he sailed out of Bellingham Bay was one of the best known and most popular mariners on the coast.
In 1912 Captain Marcusen gave up his ship and took a trip back to his boyhood home in Norway, where he so pleasantly renewed an acquaintance with one of the friends of his youth, Miss Olave Bugge, that marriage followed. In the fall of that same year Captain Marcusen returned to Bellingham with his bride and thereafter gave his attention to his growing realty operations, his life as a navigator being over. From the beginning of his residence in the Bay settlements, forty years ago, he had been a believer in development here and was an early and successful investor in real estate, a builder and promoter - a "booster," - and had become the owner of considerable valuable property in Bellingham. The Captain died March 25, 1923, survived by his widow and a brother, Otto Marcusen. He was an earnest and honored member of the Masonic order, and for twenty-five years was also an active member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
Since the death of her husband Mrs. Marcusen has continued to make her home in Bellingham, residing at 710 Forest street, where she is very pleasantly situated. She is a member of the Presbyterian church and of the Order of the Eastern Star. She was born in southern Norway, which also was the birthplace of the Captain, and was there reared and educated. She was given good schooling and early became a teacher, specializing in languages and history, and for years taught in the schools of her home place until her marriage in 1912 to the devoted old friend of her girlhood, the gallant Captain Marcusen, and departure for far away Bellingham, where she since has quite willingly made her home and to the interests of which city she has become whole-heartedly attached.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 644-647
Mark, Homer Rodgers
Homer Rodgers Mark, proprietor of the Homer Mark Mortuary on State street, Bellingham, has been a resident of that city for more than twenty years. He was born in the village of Selden, Fayette county, Ohio, June 21, 1885, and is a son of Adin E. and Anna (Rodgers) Mark, who in February, 1902, came to Bellingham with their family and have since lived here. Homer R. Mark was sixteen years of age when he became a resident of Bellingham. Upon his arrival he entered the Bellingham Business College and was presently graduated from that institution. In 1904 he entered the post office, where he was employed for fourteen years, and by well earned promotion rose to the post of foreman.
In 1918 Mr. Mark severed his relations with the post office and became connected with the auditing department of the Pacific Steamship Company in Tacoma, being employed there until January 1, 1919, when he was appointed a post office inspector in the south. For three years he served as inspector in Tennessee and Mississippi and then was transferred to Montana, where he spent one winter. In 1922 he resigned his position with the post office department and returned to Bellingham and bought a half interest in the old established undertaking business of J. W. Whitfield, the mortuary thereafter being carried on by the Whitfield-Mark Company until in November, 1923, when Mr. Mark purchased his partner's interest in the business, which he has since carried on independently. The Homer Mark Mortuary has been improved under the present direction, all equipment and appliances being of the best and most highly approved character, including motorized funeral equipages, and it is not too much to say that there are few undertaking establishments in the northwest that can show better facilities along this line than are there provided. The mortuary occupies the two-story building at 1146 State street and includes an admirably appointed chapel with a seating capacity of two hundred. This building years ago was occupied by the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and in March, 1907, was taken over by Bingham & Stokes as an undertaking establishment. In December, 1908, Mr. Stokes bought his partner's interest in the business and in the next year A. G. Wickman became a member of the firm, the establishment thereafter being carried on under the firm name of Stokes & Wickman until in August, 1910, when Mr. Wickman purchased his parter's interest. He was alone in business until in May, 1918, when he sold the establishment to J. W. Whitfield, who in 1922 sold a half interest to Mr. Mark, who since November, 1923, has been sole proprietor and has since been very efficiently carrying on the business. Mr. Mark is an active member of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and has ever taken an interested and helpful part in the promotion of community affairs. He is a republican, for years one of the leaders of that party in his home town and district, and in 1923 and 1925 was a candidate in the primaries for mayor.
On December 10, 1906, in Bellingham, Mr. Mark was united in marriage to Miss Nellie Beard, a daughter of Daniel and Anna (Waite) Beard, who came here in the late '80s and they have two daughters, Geraldine and Lois. Socially Mrs. Mark is very prominent, being an officer and active member of the Order of the Eastern Star, also an officer in the Pythian Sisters, a trustee of the Rebekahs and a member of the Daughters of the Nile, the Yeomen and various women's clubs. Mr. Mark is past worshipful master of Bellingham Bay Lodge, No. 44, F. & A. M., and is also a member of the Knights Templars and is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and a member of Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine in Seattle. He is grand custodian of the Masonic grand lodge of the state of Washington and a member of Delta Consistory at Greenville, Mississippi. He also belongs to the Northwest Shrine Club, while his wife is a member of the Shrine Auxiliary. He is likewise an active member of the Kiwanis Club of Bellingham and the Liberal Club and is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the encampment; the Knights of Pythias; the Dramatic Order of the Knights of Khorassan; Benevolent Protective Order of of Elks; the Junior Order of United American Mechanics; the Woodmen of the World; the Modern Woodmen of America; the Loyal Order of Moose, being a member and also secretary of the Moose Legion; the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and the Yeomen, of which he is a past officer. He has filled many chairs in most of these organizations and is today deputy grand chief in the League of Real Americans and an officer in the local chapter.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 726-727
Mark, Mathew W.
Mathew W. Mark, assistant postmaster of Bellingham, has been identified with this department of the government for more than twenty years, and merit has placed him in his present position of responsibility. He was born at Washington Court House, Ohio, in 1882 and is a son of Aden E. and Anna May Mark. His parents came to Bellingham in 1903 and for many years his father was prominently identified with construction operations in the city as a carpenter and building contractor.
In the acquirement of an education Mathew W. Mark attended the public schools of Ohio, after which he was engaged in teaching for a number of years. He was graduated from the Bellingham Business College in 1905, and in 1904 he had become an employe in the postal department of the United States government. He advanced through the various branches, conscientiously performing his work, and on January 1, 1919, his fidelity to duty was rewarded by promotion to the position of assistant postmaster. He is very capable and has thoroughly justified the confidence reposed in his ability.
In 1909 Mr. Mark married Miss Maude Adams, of Bellingham, a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Adams, both of whom are deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Mark were born three children: Charles, a youth of fifteen; Frances, aged thirteen years; and Raymond, a child of about two years. Mr. Mark is a stanch adherent of the republican party and his fraternal affiliations are with the Yeomen, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, while he also belongs to the Chamber of Commerce. He is a man of substantial worth and has many sincere friends in Bellingham, in which he has spent much of his life, working at all times for the best interests of the city.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 557
Markley, Lemon R.; M.D.
Dr. Lemon R. Markley, Bellingham's pioneer physician, is a man of high ideals and his life work has been of worth in the world. He was born in Michigan, September 12, 1859, an his parents, Urias L. and Caroline (Lutz) Markley, were natives of Pennsylvania. They were pioneer settlers of Michigan and Indiana. The father was a skilled mechanic. The family migrated to Nebraska when Dr. Markley was a young man. His early education was acquired in the public schools of Indiana, and he afterward entered the medical department of the University of Nebraska, situated at Omaha, and was graduated with the class of 1883. He followed his profession in that state until 1890 and then opened an office in New Whatcom, now known as Bellingham, which at that time was a small settlement. Dr. Markley has practiced in this locality for a period of thirty-six years, ministering to many of its oldest families, and his fidelity to duty has earned for him a secure place in the regard of the residents of this district. He possesses a kindly, sympathetic nature, which is one of the physician's chief assets in the sick room, and through study and experience has constantly augmented his professional knowledge and skill.
In 1884 Dr. Markley married Miss Mary J. Le Fevre, a native of Pennsylvania, and two children were born to them: Nina Belle, who completed a course in music at Whitman College and is the wife of F. H. Whipple, of Seattle; and Alton, who received the degree of Ph. D. from Cornell University and is now professor of chemistry at Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, New York.
Dr. Markley is an adherent of the republican party and his fraternal affiliations are with the Masons, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Pythias. He was acting assistant surgeon in the immigreation department of the public health service but resigned February 1, 1926, on account of ill health. He was president of the Whatcom County Medical Society for 1925, it being his third term. He is also a member of the Washington State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. Dr. Markley ranks with the leading physicians of northwestern Washington and is honored and respected by his professional colleagues as well as the general public, for his life has been an exemplary on in all respects.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 786-787
Marshall, Edward Eugene
Edward Eugene Marshall, a Whatcom county pioneer, who traces his ancestry to the Colonial epoch in American history, has been a recognized leader of agricultural operations in Deming township for more than thirty years. He was born June 19, 1859, and is a native of Cleveland, Ohio, in which state his parents, Zebulon R. and Mary (Egbert) Marshall, were married. His father was a native of Connecticut and the mother's birth occurred in New Jersey. The Marshall family, which is of English origin, was established in Connecticut early in he seventeenth century and contributed to the Continental army men of valor and fortitude who aided in winning American independence. Captain Samuel Marshall, a member of the family, was killed in King Philip's war. The grandfather, Harvey Marshall, was a man of considerable wealth and owned most of the land on which the city of Hartford now stands. His son, Zebulon R. Marshall, was reared in Connecticut and for several years followed the occupation of farming in that state. He then went to Illinois, locating in Chicago in 1835, and in pioneer times settled in Ohio. He was a business man of superior ability and previous to the Civil war operated sawmills throughout the central states as will as in South Carolina. The years of his birth was 1796, and he reached the age of seventy-four years, passing away in 1870. He was long survived by his widow, whose demise occurred in 1901.
Edward E. Marshall attended the schools of Newark, New Jersey, and in 1973, when fourteen years of age, went to Kansas. He completed his studies at Manhattan, and among his schoolmates was Albert Meade, afterward governor of Washington. Mr. Marshall engaged in the live stock business in the Sunflower state, and in 1887 he came to the Pacific coast, settling in Whatcom county. He has since resided within its borders, with the exception of the period from 1897 to 1900, which was spent in the Klondike. On his arrival in Washington he located near Ferndale, taking up a government claim, and in 1888 moved to Deming township. He secured a squatter's right to a tract adjacent to the present town site of Deming and his mother homesteaded the land after it was surveyed, having accompanied him on the journey to the west. The property comprised one hundred and sixty acres and was situated in a wooded district. There were no roads and Mr. Marshall was obliged to carry his groceries and other supples a long distance, transporting them on his back. Labor was scarce and in order to gain a start he split rails, earing about eight dollars a week in this manner.
Industries and thrifty, Mr. Marshall has always lived well within his income, and his ranch is one of the few farms that has been kept free from debt. He has built a modern home, installing his own water system and electric light plant, and the water supply is obtained from a fine spring on his place. He has sold forty acres and his farm now comprises one hundred and twenty acres of rich and arable land, whose fertility has been greatly increased by irrigation. He has a valuable herd of dairy cattle and was the first man to bring registered Holsteins to the county. An expert in his chosen vocation in life, Mr. Marshall has proved the effectiveness of system in promoting productiveness, and the methods employed in the cultivation and development of his farm are the expression of the latest research along scientific lines. His mother had taught the first school in this township, teach for six months, in order to get the schools started, and the log cabin in which she taught is still standing on the home farm, being now used as a hen house.
In 1881 Mr. Marshall married Miss Elizabeth Jones, a native of Knoxville, Tennessee, and a daughter of David and Margaret (Elder) Jones. Her father, who was one of the pioneer farmers of Kansas, served in the Union army during the Civil war, enlisting Tennessee. To Mr. and Mrs. Marshall were born six children: Harvey and Edward, who are connected with sawmill operations in Deming township; John, city attorney of Kirkland, Washington; Thomas, who is engaged in the practice of law in Seattle; Paul, superintendent of the consolidated school at Deming; and Irene, the wife of Powell Thomas, who is operating a fox farm in Alaska.
Mr. Marshall gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has ever manifested a deep interest in public affairs, serving on the school board and also as township supervisor. He is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Masonic fraternity. Both he and his wife are members of the Eastern Star and the latter is also connected with the Rebekahs. Mr. Marshall has done much to advance the standards of agriculture in Whatcom county, belonging to that class of farsighted, capable men who have converted their private enterprises into public assets, and his very personality in an inspiration to progress. His life has been conspicuously useful and public opinion bears testimony to his worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 350-353
A man of keen sagacity, of the progressive wester type, Andy Martin has made good use of his opportunities, and for sixteen years his name has figured conspicuously in commercial circles of Bellingham in connection with the clothing business. A native of Minnesota, he was born May 20, 1883, and is a son of Martin and Mary (Isaacson) Martin, who came to Bellingham in 1900. The father was engaged in contracting and building in this locality for many years and is now living retired.
Andy Martin attended the public schools and afterward completed a course in a business college of Bellingham in preparation for a commercial career. He was employed by various merchants, performing his duties with thoroughness and fidelity, and on November 10, 1909, was able to establish a business of his own, opening the Sample Suit Shop in the Exchange building. He next conducted a clothing store on the second floor of the Bellingham National Bank building and later was the proprietor of an establishment in the Mason building. On May 5, 1923, the business was moved to its present location on the ground floor of the Bellingham National Bank building. The store is twenty by one hundred feet in dimensions, and his stock is always of the best grade. Mr. Martin specializes in men's furnishings and handles the Kincaid, Kimball and Adler lines. He follows up-to-date methods and his expert knowledge of this branch of merchandising enables him to judge correctly the needs of his customers and to cater thereto. He has always dealt fairly and honorably with the public and as a natural result his patronage has steadily increased.
In 1905 Mr. Martin married Miss Mary E. Erickson, of Bellingham, a daughter of Bendick Erickson, a Minnesotan. To this union were born nine children: Alvin, Pearl, Harold, Clara, Cecil, Vernon, Doris, Merion and Jean, all of whom reside with their parents. Along fraternal lines Mr. Martin is affiliated with the Eagles, the Royal Highlanders and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of the Lions Club, a business men's organization devoted to Americanism, and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. Mr. Martin is a public-spirited citizen and has led a busy and useful life, concentrating his resources upon the achievement of a definite end, in the attainment of which he has exercised intelligence and good judgment, employing methods which neither seek nor require disguise.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 499
One of the best known and most popular residents of Lummi island is Jule Martin, who capably and successfully operates the ferry Central, between Gooseberry Point and Beach. He is a native of the island and has been an interested witness of the splendid development which has characterized this locality during the past two decades. He was born on the 15th of December, 1898, and is a son of Emil and Sophia (Christoferson) Martin, both of whom were born in Norway, the father dying when the subject was but three years old. They came to the United States during the '80s and located in Chicago, where they remained a few years, after which they came to Tacoma, Washington, and soon afterward to Bellingham, where they remained a year or two, the father being employed as a longshoreman. They next moved to Sucia island where they remained a year or two, and then located on Lummi island, where they established their permanent home, the father dying here about 1901. He came to the island because of the excellent fishing, but he also bought about twelve acres of land, now mostly cleared, on which the home has been located to the present time. When the family came here there were but few white families and the roads were mere trails, boats being ordinarily used for communication with other parts of the island. Gradually, however, the scene has changed, and now Lummi island has become settled by a desirable class of people and has become a popular vacation spot, being characterized by fine island scenery, pure sea air, gorgeous sunsets and excellent beaches, so that during the summer season it enjoys marked popularity.
Jule Martin received his education in the public school on the island and since attaining young manhood has followed the water, being for a number of years closely identified with the fishing industry. The ferry Central is owned and operated by Whatcom county and Mr. Martin is handling it in a manner entirely satisfactory to its patrons. He is courteous and accommodating, careful and obliging, and has gained marked popularity with all who have come in contact with him.
Our subject's mother was married, about 1903, to John Godfrey, and she is now living at the old home on Lummi island. During the early years here she passed through many interesting experiences, and being hardy and courageous she thoroughly enjoyed the strange life and unique experiences. In former days she frequently rowed a boat to Bellingham and to Sucia island. She possesses a gracious manner and kindly disposition and is well liked by all who have the privilege of her acquaintance. By her union with Emil Martin she became the mother of four children, namely: Martha, born at Tacoma, who became the wife of Ed Granger, to which union were born five children, and her death occurred in 1917; Mrs. Grace Brown, born on Sucia island, who became the mother of two children and is now deceased; William, born on Lummi island and now living in Bellingham, who is married and has two children; and Jule, the immediate subject of this sketch, who is tenderly caring for his mother's interests. He has always shown a commendable interest in the welfare and prosperity of the island and enjoys a high standing among his associates.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 243-244