One of the worthy native sons of Washington is Edward McAlpine, a progressive farmer of Ferndale township, Whatcom county, who is easily the peer of any of his fellows in the qualities that constitute correct manhood and good citizenship. He is what he is from natural endowment and self-culture, having attained his present standing solely through the impelling force of his own nature. Edward McAlpine was born in Skagit county, Washington, on the 9th of July, 1880, and is a son of Edward and Jane (Ewing) McAlpine. The father was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1836, and died in 1891, which the mother, who was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1843, died January 3, 1925, at the age of eighty-two years. The father came to the States from Canada in the early'60's, traveling through Utah and on to California during the gold rush. In 1875 he came to Washington, locating on a farm in Skagit county, where he remained until 1883, when he moved to Whatcom county and farmed there during his remaining active years. To him and his wife were born three children, Belle, Edward and Jean.
Edward McAlpine attended the public schools of Bellingham and then took a commercial course in Wilson's Business College in that city. After completing his studies he worked on the home farm until the place was sold in 1911, when he bought one hundred and twenty-five acres of land on Nooksack river, in Ferndale township, a part being cleared. He now cultivates sixty acres, which he devotes mainly to hay and potatoes, and also keeps about thirty head of good grade Holstein cattle and some young stock. He is an active and energetic farmer, up-to-date and progressive in his methods, and exercises excellent judgment in all his operations, being regarded as one of the best farmers in his locality.
On September 23, 1905, Mr. McAlpine was married to Miss Alice Welch, who was born in Ferndale, the daughter of Dr. J. J. and Eva (Sloan) Welch. Her father came to Ferndale in 1882, being the first doctor to locate there, and continued in the practice until 1902, when he retired and moved to Bellingham, where he now lives. To him and his wife were born four children, Julian, deceased, Linden, Bert and Alice. Mrs. McAlpine is a member of Bellingham Camp No. 188, Neighbors of Woodcraft, and she and Mr. McAlpine are members of the Pomona Grange. They are the parents of three children, namely: Edward Jr., born May 9, 1907, who is a graduate of the Meridian high school, was married to Miss Aletha Jane Rice; Jack Bennet, born April 4, 1912, and Betty, born June 6, 1919. Personally, Mr. McAlpine is a man of optimistic disposition, an ardent supporter of all measures calculated to advance the public welfare in any way and standing always on the right side of every moral issue. He is friendly and affable in his social relations and stands deservedly high in the confidence and good will of the entire community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 665-666
Edward McAlpine, who came to Washington territory in the early '70s and who for a number of years prior to his death devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits in the vicinity of Bellingham, was in the fifty-fifth year of his age when called to his final rest on the 1st of January, 1891. His birth occurred in the year 1836, in Ontario, Canada, of which country his parents were also natives.
As previously state, Mr. McAlpine made his way to Washington territory in the early '70s and first settled near Mount Vernon, in Skagit county, where he engaged in farming until 1883. In that year he took up his abode in the vicinity of Bellingham, where he continued to reside throughout the remainder of his life, concentrating his efforts upon the cultivation of a farm which he owned on the present site of the cement plant. Mr. McAlpine made a commendable record in the office of county commissioner, which he filled in the early days. Fraternally he was affiliated with the Masonic order, while his religious faith was that of the Presbyterian church, which his wife and children also joined. His life was an upright and honorable one in every relation and his memory is cherished in the hearts of those who were near and dear to him. In his death the community sustained the loss of one of its substantial agriculturists and representative and highly respected citizens.
In 1877 Mr. McAlpine was united in marriage to Jane Ewing, a native of Glasgow, Scotland. She was about ten years of age when in 1854 she crossed the Atlantic to the United States in company with her parents, who established their home in Illinois. On the 9th of May, 1871, she arrived at Bellingham, Washington, with her brother and his family, who eventually returned east, after which Jane Ewing resided with her uncle until the time of her marriage. Her uncle, John Bennet, had come to Whatcom county, Washington, in 1858 and located near the cement plant above referred to. Following the death of her husband, Mrs. Jane (Ewing) McAlpine continued her residence on the McAlpine farm until disposing thereof to the cement company in 1911. Two years later she took up her abode at No. 2531 Eldridge avenue in Bellingham, where she remained until her death, which occurred on the 3d of January, 1925. By her marriage she became the mother of two daughters and a son, as follows: Belle, who was born in Skagit county, Washington; Edward, also a native of Skagit county, who is an agriculturist by occupation and has a family of three children; and Jean, who was likewise born in Skagit county, this state, and is the wife of Henry J. Siemons, one of the six brothers conducting the Siemons Lumber Company, extensive shingle manufacturers of Bellingham. All of the above named attended school at Bellingham, Miss Belle McAlpine being a pupil in the first little schoolhouse here. For the past eighteen years she has been employed as a fitter in the Bellingham dry goods establishment of Montague & McHugh, Incorporated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 122-123
McArthur, Hyland D.
As a result of his manifold activities for the general good Hyland D. McArthur has been constantly in the public eye, and as county assessor he has established a record which redounds greatly to his credit. A native of Canada, he was born April 16, 1863, and was sixteen years of age when his parents, Donald J. and Hannah (Ward) McArthur, moved with their family to Michigan, in which they settled in the fall of 1879. Hyland D. McArthur attended the public schools of the Dominion and after his education was completed engaged in teaching in Michigan. On June 11, 1888, Donald J. McArthur arrived in Bellingham, where he was joined by the subject of this sketch in July, and in the autumn of that year the remainder of the family came to the city. At that time there were but thirteen families in Sehome and pioneer conditions prevailed. The father entered the real estate field, also becoming an insurance agent, and success attended his labors. Eventually he was able to retire, and his demise occurred in January, 1924, while the mother passed away in 1904.
Hyland D. McArthur was associated with his father in the real estate and insurance business and in 1889 was appointed to fill a vacancy as school clerk. Finding that the district had only fifteen dollars in the treasury, he headed a subscription list and in one and a half days raised the sum of two hundred and fifty dollars. School was conducted in the basement of the Presbyterian church until the Sehome school building was erected, and it was paid for within a year by direct taxation. Mr. McArthur was also clerk of the town of Sehome and in the spring of 1900 was appointed deputy assessor. He filled the position for twelve years, also acting as deputy treasurer, and for nine years has served as county assessor. He has thoroughly systematized the work, which is performed with speed and accuracy, and brings to the discharge of his important duties expert ability and a keen sense of his responsibilities. He is rendering valuable service to the county and has clearly demonstrated that he is the right man for the office.
Mr. McArthur was married October 15, 1911, to Miss Alice M. Frost, of Bellingham, who was formerly a high school teacher, and Janet, their only child, is eleven years of age. Mr. McArthur is identified with the Knights of Pythias and has taken the fourteenth degree in Masonry. He was secretary of the McKinley Club at the time the "Little Major" was elected the nation's chief executive and has served on the republican state central committee, exerting a strong influence in party affairs. Mr. McArthur is always in the van of every movement looking toward the accomplishment of real and practical good, and his public spirit, fidelity to duty and unswerving integrity have met with a rich return of personal regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 554-555
McClanahan, Daniel Abbott
A Scotchman by birth, date and place unknown, arrived in Whatcom during the Fraser River Gold Rush in 1858. Meager information suggests that he went to the Cariboo, and there accumulated a considerable fortune. Returning to Whatcom, he failed to get his fortune aboard the steamer for San Francisco, and being in some manner separated from his money, found himself stranded on the shore of Bellingham Bay. Following the faint trail of his career, we next find him located on a piece of prairie land, situated on the Nooksack, about 1 1/2 miles east of present Lynden, his claim now being known as the Bradley farm.
Meanwhile he had acquired unto himself a wife, in the person of Nina, a sister of Chief Jim Yelokanim of the Nooksack Tribe. This seems to have been a typical Indian union, without any bonds or restraints of legal procedure. He improved his farm with good buildings; set out a considerable orchard of various kinds of fruit trees; and accumulated considerable stock in the form of cattle, sheep and hogs. Also, he and Nina had become parents of three sons and one daughter, John, Horace, Daniel, and Nora, ranging in age from five to one, in 1870. The exact date of his coming is not definitely known, but it must have been some time prior to 1865. He was, therefore, in time of settlement, as old as any white man on the upper Nooksack, and probably preceded, only by John Tennant and Thomas Wynn in the entire valley.
Some time near 1870, Mr. McClanahan was stricken with the dreaded tuberculosis, a disease quite prevalent at that time, especially among the Indians. With no knowledge or facilities for treatment, it generally ran its course, and proved fatal, rather quickly. By the last of 1872, Mr. McClanahan realized he would not live long, so he asked the Judsons to help in the care of his four children after he was gone. This they generously agreed to do. In March, 1873, Mr. McClanahan died, and true to their promise, the Judsons took John and Nora to their home. Later after the death of their mother, Daniel and Horace were also taken.
Skqee Mus, R. E. Hawley, pub. 1945, pg. 176
McCollum, T. J.
The life record of T. J. McCollum is a story of earnest endeavor that has carried him steadily onward past many obstacles and difficulties, and he is now numbered among the prosperous agriculturists of Rome township. He was born January 24, 1859, in Illinois, and his parents were William and Hulda (Woodward) McCollum, the latter a Canadian. The grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. James McCollum, were natives of Scotland, and their son, William McCollum, was born in Illinois. In that state he followed the occupation of farming until the outbreak of the Civil war, when he enlisted in the Union army, and served until the cessation of hostilities, passing away in 1866. In the family were two children: Sarah, deceased; and T. J.
T. J. McCollum was a child of seven when his father died, and he was reared by an uncle, with whom he resided until nineteen years of age. He was educated in the public schools of his native state, and in 1878 he started out in life for himself, buying an eighty acre tract in Jackson county, Illinois. He cut the timber on his land and cleared sixty acres, which he cultivated for several years. About 1885 he disposed of the property and opened a general store in Vergennes, Illinois. The building was burned soon afterward and he lost nearly all of his stock of merchandise. After a trip through the west he returned to Illinois and for a number of years was employed on farms. When he had accumulated a sufficient sum he purchased a small ranch, which he later sold, and about 1896 went to Missouri. There he leased a farm, which he operated for four years, and in 1900 came to the Pacific coast, locating in eastern Washington. At Lind he erected a building, in which he was engaged in general merchandising for one and a half years, and then sold the business. In Adams county he homesteaded a quarter section and proved up on the claim, converting it into a fertile farm. He specialized in the growing of wheat and there remained until February, 1905, when he disposed of the property. Coming to Whatcom county, he bought a tract of forty-four acres, situated on the highway in section 6, Rome township, and entered upon the arduous work of clearing the land. He now has seven cows of good grade and two heifers. He raises hay, grain, potatoes and strawberries, and his methods of farming are the expression of the latest scientific discoveries along agricultural lines. His buildings are substantial and his place is well improved and wisely managed.
On April 9, 1896, Mr. McCollum married Miss Rosalia Koch, who was born in Missouri. She is a daughter of Edward and Rosalia Koch, natives of Germany, and her father is now living in the province of Alberta, Canada. Mr. and Mrs. McCollum became the parents of nine children: Dillard, deceased; Willard, who completed a high school course; Gilbert, who is at home; Edward, who is married; William, still at home; Jacob, who is also with his parents; Rosie, a high school student; Albert, who is a pupil in the seventh grade;; and Ralph. Mr. McCollum is a member of the Rome Grange and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. Along fraternal lines he is connected with the Woodmen of the World, belonging to Cypress Camp, which he joined at Ardeola, Missouri. He served for six years on the township board and is always to be found in the van of movements for the advancement and benefit of his district in which he has a wide acquaintance and many true friends, who are thoroughly appreciative of his worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 639-640
Among the industrial leaders of northwestern Washington is John McCush, who operates the Ferndale Canning Company and who is a business man of ripe experience and pronounced ability. He was born in Michigan in 1864, a son of Murdoch and Mary McCush, the former of whom passed away in that state. After his death the mother started for the Pacific coast with her family of six children and in 1891 established her home in Bellingham, Washington, where her demise occurred in 1907.
John McCush was educated in the public schools of Michigan and was in that state when the lumber industry was at its height. He decided to enter that line of activity and for several years was identified with the business, at one time operating a shingle mill. In 1916 he took charge of the business of the Ferndale Canning Company, established as a cooperative concern in 1914, and later bought the controlling interest in the corporation. The plant is a frame building one and a half stories in height and covers three-quarters of an acre. It contains every appliance to facilitate the work, which is performed under perfectly sanitary conditions, and has a daily capacity of fifteen tons of fruit and vegetables, which amount when canned is equal to about eight hundred cases. The company cans cherries, raspberries, blackberries, loganberries, gooseberries and strawberries, as well as string beans and corn, and its products, known as the Ferndale and Custer brands, are sold to the jobbing trade. The output of the house ranks with the best on the market and is sent to many points in the east and the middle west, as well as Europe. During the period of greatest activity the company employs one hundred and seventy-five persons and its payroll for the season amounts to forty thousand dollars. Mr. McCush devotes deep thought and study to the business, stimulating its growth by well devised plans and systematic methods, and has perfected an industry of large proportions.
In 1902 Mr. McCush married Miss Minerva Waples, who passed away in 1907, leaving two children, Jack and Mary. His second union was with Mrs. Katherine Chapman, of Bellingham, whom he married in 1910. They reside at Bellingham in an attractive home at No. 830 Garden street. Mr. McCush has taken the thirty-second degree in the Masonic order and is a Noble of the Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Seattle. He is a republican in his political views but has never sought office as a reward for party fealty. He has never deviated from the path of honor and rectitude and is known as a capable, farsighted and discriminating business man, fully alive to conditions in the modern commercial world and possessing the energy and resourcefulness necessary to cope with them successfully.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 491
William McCush, a pioneer lumberman of Washington and a dominant figure in financial circles of Bellingham, has depended solely upon his own efforts for advancement, and in the fullness of time he has reaped the rich reward of his labors. A native of Canada, he was born at Port Hope in 1865, and his parents were Murdock and Mary (Holmes) McCush, the former a railroad contractor. In 1865 they migrated to Michigan, and his education was acquired in the public schools of that state. Mr. McCush gained a start in life by working in the lumber woods and mills of Michigan, which was at that time a center of the industry, and when the forests were exhausted came to Washington in company with many others engaged in this line of activity. He arrived in Whatcom county in June, 1890, and embarked in the timber business, being among the first to enter this field. He operated a logging camp when the primitive methods of logging were still in use in the west and at first conveyed his logs to the mill by means of ox teams, later using horses and donkey engines. In 1914 he formed a partnership with George W. Christie, and in 1917 they organized the Christie Timber Company, of which Mr. McCush has since been vice president and treasurer. Both have expert knowledge of the lumber industry, and since he inception the business has enjoyed a rapid growth. Mr. McCush is also recognized as an astute financier and aided in establishing the Bellingham National Bank, of which he is first vice president. He has never feared to venture where opportunity has pointed out the way, showing none of that hesitancy which so often bars the path of progress, and he aided in organizing the Standard Manufacturing Company and the Commercial Shingle Company, but the business is not in operation at the present time.
On July 17, 1900, Mr. McCush married Miss Alwina Korthauer, of Bellingham, and they have two children, George W. and Lillian E., both of whom are attending the University of Washington. Mr. McCush is an adherent of the republican party and for six years was a member of the Bellingham school board, doing much to elevate the educational standards of the city. He is a Rotarian, and the Chamber of Commerce also numbers him among its influential members. A Mason in high standing, he has taken the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite consistory and has crossed the hot sands of the desert with the Nobles of Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Mr. McCush is a man of energy and force of character, endowed with that quality which has been aptly termed "the commercial sense," and in many ways Bellingham has derived substantial benefit from his progressive spirit and civic loyalty.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 780-781
Descended from honored ancestry and himself numbered among the leading citizens of Whatcom county, A. McDaniel is entitled to specific recognition in a work of this character. A residence in this county of many years has but strengthened his hold on the hearts of the people with whom he has been associated and today no one here enjoys a larger circle of warm friends and acquaintances, who esteem him because of his sterling qualities of character and his business ability. Mr. McDaniel is a native of the state of Kansas, his birth occurring on the 11th of May, 1874, and he is a son of D. J. and Hester (Johnson) McDaniel, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Indiana. They moved to Miami county, Kansas, in 1872, and the father homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, but the grasshoppers were bad that year, entirely destroying his first crop, and he traded the place for a span of horses, with which they drove to Minnesota. There he bought a farm in Wright county, to the cultivation of which he gave his attention until 1886, when he moved to Fremont county, Iowa, where he bought a farm, and he operated that place practically up to the time of his death, which occurred about 1913, his wife passing away two years later. They were the parents of eleven children, six of whom are now living, namely: Lewis, A., Howard, Wilbert, Thomas and Evert.
A. McDaniel received a good public school education, completing his studies in the high school at Sydney, Iowa. In 1900 he bought a farm in Fremont county, Iowa, which he operated for four years, and then, in the fall of 1904, he came to Whatcom county, Washington. In the spring of the following year he bought a ranch near Weiser lake, in Ten Mile township, which he kept a few months and then sold, buying thirty-five acres of land at Weiser lake. The tract was partly cleared and he cleared more of it and then sold the place in 1910. He next moved to Lynden and established the Palace billiard room, which he ran for nine years. In August, 1917, he bought the Palace Hotel, including the building, and ran it for three years, selling it in 1920, and at the time he bought seventy-four acres of land on the Guide Meridian road. After farming that place for three years, he traded it for the Palace Hotel building, which he traded two months later for eighty acres of land in Delta township, five miles west of Lynden, taking possession in the summer of 1923. Thirty-five acres of this land are cleared, the remainder being in timber and pasture. The soil is good and he reaps good crops of hay and grain. He also gives considerable attention to dairying, keeping ten good Guernsey and Jersey cows. His farm is eligibly situated on the paved highway to Blaine and all of the improvements are substantial in character and well adapted to the purposes desired.
On February 16, 1895, Mr. McDaniel was married to Miss Rose Trewet, a native of Fremont county, Iowa, and a daughter of John W. and Dinah (Ballinger) Trewet, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Indiana. Mr. Trewet went to Iowa about 1868 and his marriage occurred there in November, 1869. He engaged in farming in Fremont county and spent the remaining years of his life there, dying August 20, 1922. His widow still resides on the farm there. They became the parents of ten children, namely: Thomas, Rose, Ellen, Edith, deceased, Earl, Raymond, Iva, and three who died in infancy. To Mr. and Mrs. McDaniel have been born six children, namely: Mrs. Ruby H. Davis, who lives on a ten-acre ranch adjoining her father's place and has three children - Sally Rose, Jean Hester and William Elliott; Mrs. Gretchen L. Bailey, who is the mother of a daughter, Patricia A.; and John L., Hugh H., Woodrow Lester, and Irva G., who died at the age of four years. Mr. McDaniel is a man of genial and kindly manner, very companionable and friendly, and easily makes friends. He has shown a public-spirited interest in everything pertaining to the prosperity of the community and gives his earnest support to every measure for the betterment of the public welfare, being numbered among the enterprising and progressive men of his section of the county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 168-169
McDonald, Cornelius A.
Early in life Cornelius A. McDonald realized that there is no excellence without labor, and his progress has been commensurate with his industry and ability. He was long identified with industrial pursuits and in now engaged in merchandising, ranking with the leading business men of Silver Beach. He was born June 2, 1876, on Prince Edward island, Canada, and his parents, Cashmere and Elizabeth (Campbell) McDonald, were natives of Scotland. He was reared on his father's farm and received a public school education. He was employed in woolen mills for twenty years, rising to the position of foreman, and resided for some time in the state of Massachusetts. In 1912 Mr. McDonald arrived in Silver Beach, Washington, a suburb of Bellingham, and aided in building the cement plant, of which he was made assistant master mechanic. Since August 1, 1923, Mr. McDonald has conducted a store at Silver Beach, handling groceries, confectionery, etc., and he also serves light lunches. He is a sagacious business man, possessing initiative and executive force, and is ever ready to supply the needs and wishes of customers. His stock is of high grade and his well known honesty and reliability have brought him a large share of public patronage.
In 1900 Mr. McDonald married Miss Mae Fisher, a native of the province of Nova Scotia, Canada, and a daughter of James and Grace (Gorrie) Fisher, both of whom are deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. McDonald were born six children: Raymond, who is connected with the Bloedel Donovan Mills and has a wife and daughter; and Stanley, Elmer, Donald, Mae and Ralph, all of whom are at home. Mr. McDonald is a Mason, belonging to Bellingham Lodge No. 151, F. & A. M., and a member of the lodge of Elks No. 194. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the candidates and measures of the republican party and was road foreman for a few years. In 1923 he was elected township supervisor and is now acting as chairman of the board. He has a high conception of the duties and responsibilities of citizenship and lends the weight of his influence to every project of reform, progress and improvement.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 524-525
James McDonald is one of the prosperous ranchmen of the Bellingham district and a true and loyal citizen of the land of his adoption. A native of Ireland, he was born August 13, 1879, and his parents, John and Bridget McDonald, are both deceased. He received a public school education and in 1907 came to Whatcom county, in which his brother, Peter J. McDonald, had settled in pioneer times. In 1909 the subject of this sketch went to Alaska and for a time was a resident of that country. He returned to Washington in 1911 and has since owned and operated the ranch of his brother, which he purchased from the latter's widow. The farm contains twenty-nine and a half acres of fertile land and is well improved. Mr. McDonald has a fine orchard and is also engaged in dairying. He carries on his labors scientifically and keeps well informed on all modern developments relating to his line of work.
In 1912 Mr. McDonald was united in marriage to Miss Kate Larkin, also a native of Ireland. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and his political allegiance is given to the democratic party. He brings to his daily tasks energy, enthusiasm and intelligence, upon which he has based his success, and a pleasing personality and genial disposition have won him many friends throughout the township.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 891
This biographical memoir has to do with a character of unusual force, for John McDonald, whose tragic death, by automobile accident, in 1907, was deeply regretted by all who knew him, was one of the ablest, best known and most popular citizens of his section of Whatcom county. While he carried on business in such a manner as to gain a comfortable competency for himself and family, he also belonged to that class of representative citizens who promote the public welfare while advancing individual success. There were in him sterling traits which commanded uniform confidence and regard, and his memory is today honored by all who knew him and is enshrined in the hearts of his many friends.
John McDonald was a native of Rosshire, Scotland, and a son of Roderick McDonald, who was a celebrated veterinarian in the north of Scotland. He learned the trade of cabinetmaking after completing his public school education, and in 1875 emigrated to the United States, locating in North Dakota. There he became the owner of an entire section of land, one hundred and sixty acres of which he had taken up as a homestead, buying the remainder. He applied himself intelligently and with success to the cultivation of this land until about 1884 when he was married, remaining in North Dakota until 1891. In the latter year he brought his family to Whatcom county, Washington, and engaged in the contracting business, in which he met with success, following that vocation until his death, which occurred in California. He was an able business man, exercising sound judgment and discrimination in all of his operations and was absolutely honest in all of his transactions, thus establishing himself in the confidence and esteem of the people. He did much building through this section of the state in the sixteen years in which he was engaged as a contractor, erecting many of the important buildings, including the county poorhouse and many of the better class of residences. He successfully carried through whatever he undertook and his word was absolutely to be relied upon.
In 1884 Mr. McDonald was married to Annie Ferguson, a native of Inverness, Scotland, and a daughter of Donald and Annie (Bain) Ferguson. Her father had a wide reputation as a successful horse breeder, and was also the owner of a fine herd of Shorthorn cattle. His death occurred about 1910 and his wife passed away in 1908. They were the parents of seven children, namely: Margaret, deceased; Jessie, Barbara; Annie, Mrs. McDonald; John, William and George, deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. McDonald were born ten children: Mrs. Annie Christensen, of Bellingham; Mrs. Margaret Nygren; Roderick, who is married and has a son, Jack, who volunteered in 1915 for service in the World war and served until the close of that struggle; Mrs. Ruth Cannon, who is the mother of a daughter, Neila May; Mrs. Israel White, who is the mother of three sons, Donald, Eugene and Theodore; John, who is married and has two daughters, Annie and Margaret; Mrs. Dora Frederickson, who has a daughter, Beverley; Mrs. Georgina Ballinger, who has two children, Lee and Betty Jane; Mrs. Evelyn Hynote, the mother of a daughter, Donna Marie; and James, who lives at home with his mother. All of these children received good, practical educations and several of the daughters are accomplished musicians.
About 1903 Mrs. McDonald moved to a twenty-acre ranch in Ferndale township, where she has a comfortable and attractive home, her son James assisting her in the management and operation of the place. She keeps eight high grade Jersey cows and carries on general farming. She has a good silo, which is always filled for winter feed. On Mrs. McDonald's ranch stands one of the first schoolhouses built in Whatcom county, called the Anatole school, probably built about 1880. Mrs. McDonald is now very pleasantly situated and, because of her good business judgment, her courage in going on with the business affairs of the family alone, her splendid personal qualities and her friendly and accommodating manner, she enjoys the admiration and esteem of the entire community. Mr. McDonald was a man of marked individuality and left the indelible impress of his personality upon the lives of all with whom he came into contact. He always stood ready to identify himself with his fellow citizens in any good work and extend a co-operative hand to advance any measure for the betterment of the community, and by reason of these commendable characteristics, coupled with a genial, gentlemanly address and a heart of charitable and hospitable impulses, he occupied an enviable place in the confidence and respect to do a kindly act, even when it was not always convenient to himself. He was a lovable man, an honored and respected citizen and a true friend.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 649-650
McElmon, Fred W.
Fred W. McElmon, county engineer and a veteran of the World war with an officer's commission and a record of overseas service, is a native of the neighboring Dominion but has been a resident of Washington since the days of his early childhood and his activities mainly have centered at Bellingham, where his youth was spent and where he received his initial schooling. He was born at Langley, British Columbia, in 1881, and is a son of the Rev. B. K. and Mary Elizabeth (Chisholm) McElmon, who were born in Nova Scotia and became residents of the Bellingham Bay settlements in 1883. The Rev. B. K. McElmon, now living retired at Bellingham, one of the honored pioneer clergymen of this county, established the Presbyterian church here in 1883 and is properly recognized as being the "father of Presbyterianism" in Whatcom county. He also organized congregations of this communion at Nooksack, Lynden, Deming, Acme and Everson and was for many years actively engaged in ministerial service in this county. Mrs. McElmon, who was ever an earnest helpmate to her husband in his ministerial labors, is deceased and at her passing left a cherished memory, for she had been faithful in good works, a potent personal factor in the development of proper social conditions here in the formative period of this now well organized and well established community.
Reared at Bellingham, Fred W. McElmon was graduated from the old Whatcom high school and then entered the University of Washington, from which institution he was graduated as a civil engineer in 1905. For a year thereafter he was connected with the operations of the American Bridge Company and then went east and was for two years engaged on the construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad tunnel under the river into New York city. Upon the completion of that undertaking he returned to Bellingham and was engaged here in the contracting line for several years, at the end of which time he became a member of the engineering staff of the Canadian Northern Railroad Company. When in 1917 this country took a hand in the World war, he at once enlisted in the Engineers Corps, was given a commission as first lieutenant and presently was assigned to overseas service. For thirteen months he was on duty in France and upon the completion of that service and his return to Bellingham he became connected with the operation of the port commission. In 1922 he was elected county engineer.
In 1912 Mr. McElmon was united in marriage to Miss Edith Marian Terrill, daughter of W. E. Terrill, present secretary of the port commission, and they have a pleasant home in Bellingham. Both Mr. and Mrs. McElmon take an active part in local civic affairs. Mr. McElmon is a member of the Albert J. Hamilton post of the American Legion and is affiliated with the Bellingham lodge of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Mrs. McElmon is prominent in the activities of St. Paul's Episcopal church and is a member of the P. E. O.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 766
Ralph McIlroy, one of the well established farmers and landowners of Mountain View township, proprietor of a well improved place on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale, was born in Muscatine, Iowa, December 27, 1883, and is a son of the late John and Anne (McDermot) McIlroy, the latter of whom was born of Irish parents in Preston, England, October 9, 1852. She came to this country at the age of sixteen and was making her home with an uncle in Illinois at the time of her marriage to Mr. McIlroy in April, 1872. The latter was born in the town of Dungannon, County Tyrone, in the province of Ulster, Ireland, July 12, 1842, a son of a merchant, and was there reared, remaining in his home place until 1866, when he came to this country and became employed in farming in Illinois. After his marriage there he established his home on a farm in Iowa and there remained until 1884, when he disposed of his holdings in that state and came to the coast country, engaging in dairying in the Coos bay region in Oregon. Not long after his arrival there he bought on speculation a quarter section of land in the Ferndale neighborhood in this county and in 1891 moved with his family to Ferndale. While getting his uncleared tract ready for cultivation he for several years made his home on the Coffelt farm and when he had a house erected on his own place moved into it and there continued to reside, engaged in general farming, until his retirement in 1919. He and his wife then made their home with their daughter, Mrs. Sarah Davis, on Coos river, Coos county, Oregon, and there their last days were spent, Mrs. McIlroy's death occurring August 24, 1923 and Mr. McIlroy's December 14, 1923. They are survived by three children, the subject of this sketch having a sister, Sarah, the widow of J. B. Davis of Sutherlin, Oregon, and a brother, George McIlroy, who married Maude Sumner of Kansas and is now living in Coos county, Oregon.
Ralph McIlroy was but a lad when he came to this county with his parents in 1891, and his education was completed in the Mountain View schools. He helped his father clear and develop the home farm and has ever since been engaged in farming operations there, in proprietary charge since his father's retirement in 1919. In addition to his general farming he gives considerable attention to dairying and poultry raising and is doing very well. The place is well improved and he and his family are very comfortably situated.
On January 21, 1902, on the island of San Juan, out in the strait, Mr McIlroy was united in marriage to Miss Josephine V. Ergler, and they have five children - 2 sons, James Bluford and Clements Vance; and 3 daughters, Nora Arabelle, Bertha May and Laura Goldie, all of whom are at home. James B. McIlroy, born 1903, is now a valued aid to his father in the operations of the home farm, and Clements also helps his father. Miss Nora McIlroy finished her education in the State Normal School at Bellingham. The other children are still in school. Mrs. McIlroy was born in Nebraska Nov. 7, 1886, and was but a girl when in 1897 she came with her parents to Whatcom county, the family for some time residing in the Mountain View neighborhood. She is a daughter of Joseph and Theresa (Glatter) Ergler, who are now living in Alberta. Both are natives of Austria, born of German parents. Joseph Ergler was born May 20, 1848, and Theresa Glatter January 4, 1854, and they were married in 1872. Mr. Ergler came to Americas in 1877 and his wife came 3 years later. One child, also a girl, in Austria but died in infancy. Another child, also a girl, was born in America and likewise died in infancy. John F. was born 1882. He now resides in Canada and since 1909 has engaged in farming and cattle raising. Rudolph H. was born in 1884, and died March 1, 1925. He leaves a family of three children. Josephine V. was born in 1886, as above stated. Mrs. Ergler died Nov 13, 1919. Mr. Ergler has retired and lives with his son John. He was in railway service in Colorado before he came west. After residing for a time in Nebraska he had moved to Colorado and thence to this state.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 858-859
McKay, Hugh D.
One of the owners of extensive farming interests in Whatcom county is Hugh D. McKay, whose valuable property has been acquired through his own efforts, his persistency of purpose and his sound business judgment, and the prosperity which is the reward of earnest effort is his today. He is easily the peer of any of his fellows in the qualities that constitute correct manhood and good citizenship, possessing not only those powers which render men efficient in the material affairs of life, but also that combination of finer qualities that mark refined social intercourse. Hugh McKay is descended from sterling old Scottish stock, his paternal grandfather, Donald McKay, who was born in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, having been a typical Highlander, of the famous Clan McKay. He emigrated to Ontario, Canada, in the early '30s, at which time that part of Canada was a virgin forest. He and his sons hewed out of the forest a tract of six hundred and fifty acres, comprising one of the finest farms in that section of the country, and on his death the father left to each of his children a portion of the place.
Hugh D. McKay was born at Underwood, Ontario, Canada, on the 28th day of June, 1874, and is a son of Donald and Mary (McNeil) McKay, both of whom were natives of Canada, the father having been born at Embro, Oxford county, Ontario, and the mother on Prince Edward island. They are both now deceased, the father dying in 1915 and the mother in 1917. Hugh D. McKay secured his education in the public schools of Ontario and remained at home, taking charge of his father's ranch until marriage. In 1907 his father's ranch was sold and he then went to Vancouver, British Columbia, and engaged in teaming, which he followed for about six years. He next rented two hundred and fifty acres of land on Mud bay, which he operated for three years, and then became superintendent of a thousand-acre ranch, on which was a large dairy of fifty cows and one hundred head of stock altogether. He managed that place for three years and in 1920 came across the line to Whatcom county and bought two hundred and eighty-five acres of land in Ferndale township, on Nooksack river, comprising an unusually fine tract, and he is now devoting himself closely to the cultivation of the land and the general operation of the ranch. He keeps fifty-five good grade Holstein cows and some young stock, a herd of pure-bred Ohio improved Chester hogs and derives a nice income from these sources. He is farming two hundred acres of the land and has twenty-five acres in sugar beets. He has been very successful in the handling of his field crops and in 1925 had a remarkable oats crop. Methodical, businesslike and up-to-date in his operations, he was won a wide reputation as a progressive and enterprising farmer, and has met with a very satisfactory measure of success since coming to this locality. He has his place well equipped with modern machinery, including milking machines, and is keeping a number of draught horses also for heavy work about the farm.
On June 24, 1903, Mr. McKay was married to Miss Mabel Caskey, who was born and reared in Ontario, Canada, the daughter of James and Deborah (Harrison) Caskey, both of whom are now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. McKay have been born six children, namely: Deborah, born in Ontario, Canada, March 3, 1906, is the wife of John McDonald and the mother of two children, Annie and Margaret; Allan, born in British Columbia, July 27, 1909, is now a student in high school; Donald, born April 28, 1911, is in high school; Kenneth, born June 17, 1913; George, born May 1, 1915, and Malcolm, born March 1, 1918. Mr. McKay is a charter member of Underwood (Ontario) Lodge No. 328, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a gentleman of fine personal qualities, possessing to a marked degree the essential elements of good citizenship and he, by his success, his high character and his friendly disposition, has gained an enviable standing among his fellow citizens. He has been ably assisted in the management and operation of his farm by his wife and family, of whom he is justifiably proud.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 683-684
By a few general observations may be conveyed some idea of the character and worthy career of John McKay, who for many years has stood among the industrious and enterprising farmers of the Nooksack valley. He has pursued the even tenor of his way in a quiet and unostentatious manner, attending strictly to his own affairs and endeavoring to perform his full part as a citizen of this favored community. He was born on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, on the 11th of May, 1857, and is a son of Daniel and Mary (Matthison) McKay, the father a native of Glasgow, Scotland, and the mother born on one of the islands along the western coast of that country. Daniel McKay was brought to Nova Scotia in 1830, when eight years of age, and was reared to the life of a farmer, which vocation he followed there during the remainder of his life, his death occurring November 8, 1886. His wife died February 8, 1910. Of the twelve children who blessed their union, six are living, namely: Christina and Norman, who live in Nova Scotia; Isabella, who lives in Massachusetts; John, the subject of this sketch; James, who lives at Clearbrook, Whatcom county; and Mrs. Annie Hayden, of Bellingham, Whatcom county.
John McKay received his education in the public schools of Nova Scotia and remained at home until 1881, when he came to the United States, locating first in Pennsylvania, where he was employed in the woods for about nine years. In October, 1890, he came to Whatcom county, stopping in Bellingham for a few months, and in the spring of 1891 he bought fifteen acres of raw land at Clearbrook, in Nooksack township. He immediately entered upon the task of clearing the land, though in the meantime he accepted other employment to help pay expenses. He built a house on the place in 1892 and later built an addition to it. The small barn first erected was replaced by a larger and better one in 1912. In 1896 he bought forty acres of land adjoining his first purchase, and he now now has all of the land cleared and under cultivation. He keeps from fifteen to twenty good cows, some of them pure bred, and a pure bred registered bull, and he raises good crops of hay and grain, as well as corn sufficient to fill his silo, which was built in 1917. He has been very successful in the cultivation of his corn, on which he received first prize at the Northwestern Washington fair in 1925. His farm is well improved in every respect and is considered one of the most desirable ranches in this locality.
On October 30, 1887, Mr. McKay was married to Miss Mary Rukgaber, who was born in Pennsylvania, a daughter of Christian and Mary (Plfuger) Rukgaber, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father came to the United States about 1850, locating in Pennsylvania, where he was successfully engaged in farming. He died there January 23, 1885, and his wife passed away July 27, 1887. They were the parents of ten children, namely: Henry, Fred, Minnie, Christ, Sophie, Caroline, Washington,deceased, Mary, John and Margaret. To Mr. and Mrs. McKay have been born ten children, as follows: Mrs. Mary E. Weide, who is the mother of four children - Winifred, born May 2, 1911; Theodore, born August 18, 1912; Wesley, born January 4, 1914; and Milton, born May 30, 1921; James, the next in the family, who was born August 10, 1893; Violet, who was born March 30, 1896, died August 5, 1907; Helen, who was born April 26, 1901, and died July 14, 1908; Douglas, born December 12, 1903, who is at home; Ruth, born June 19, 1906, who was married November 18, 1925, to Jasper Stephens; and four who died in infancy. James is a veteran of the World war, having entered the Canadian army immediately on the outbreak of the war. He enlisted at Ontario in the Yorkshire Cavalry, with which command he was sent to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 1914 was sent to England. He was in training camp there at Champlain for three months and then entered upon active service in France. For two years he was in the front line trenches and he received wounds in two engagements. He was invalided in hospitals in France for three months and spent three weeks in English hospitals and in 1917 was honorably discharged from the Canadian army, being crippled and unfit for further service. He is now living in Michigan and is employed as a traveling salesman.
Mr. McKay is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and takes a deep interest in everything affecting the farmers and dairymen of the county. He is a broadminded, thoughtful man, keeping in close touch with the issues of the day, and holds a place among the influential men of his community. Though quiet and unassuming, he possesses a forceful personality, which has made its impress on his fellow citizens, among whom he is held in the highest regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 133-134
McKenzie, M. T.
M. T. McKenzie is one of the energetic and successful farmers and poultry men of western Whatcom county, who is the course of an honorable career has been successful in his business affairs and enjoys the confidence and good will of all with whom he has come into contact. A native of Nova Scotia, where his birth occurred on the 20th of January, 1869, he is a son of Robert and Mary F. (Lade) McKenzie. The parents were also natives of Nova Scotia, where they were reared and married, and there the father followed farming. In 1870 the family moved to the United States, locating in Minnesota, where the father took up a homestead. He cleared the land and put it under cultivation, created a fine home, and devoted his energies to its operation until 1904, when he came to Whatcom county and bought twenty-five acres of land at Sumas, where he followed general farming and dairying, continuing to live there until his death in 1913. His widow is still living and resides in Bellingham. The McKenzie family, as the name indicates, is of pure Scottish origin, and was established in Nova Scotia in a very early day. To Robert and Mary McKenzie were born eight children, namely: M. T., Herbert, Elizabeth, Fred, Chester, Everett, Catherine and Robert.
M. T. McKenzie spent his boyhood days in Minnesota, securing his education in the public schools of his home neighborhood. When eighteen years of age he went to Colorado, where he remained about one and a half years, and then went to Missoula, Montana, where he followed the trade of a stonemason for three years. He next went to Texas and two years later to New Mexico, where he was married, in 1906, and soon afterwards built a house at Raton, that state, where he followed the building trade until December, 1919, when he came to Whatcom county and bought fourteen and a half acres of land near Ferndale. Here he showed the nicety of his judgment in a business way by going into the chicken business. He built three fine chicken houses, according to the most approved plans, and now runs about one thousand laying hens. He has been more than ordinarily successful in this enterprise and is now preparing to double his flocks, having fully demonstrated the practicability of the business here. He also keeps two cows and has an acre planted to apples. His comfortable and attractive home, supplied with modern conveniences, is very nicely situated. He is a man of energy and persistent industry, his efforts being directed by sound common sense, and he has gained an excellent reputation among his fellow farmers as a man of business ability, square dealing and public spirit.
In New Mexico, November 30, 1906, Mr. McKenzie was married to Miss Mary E. Hodge, who was born and reared in Iowa, the daughter of John and Emily (Hinkley) Hodge. Mr. and Mrs. McKenzie are the parents of a daughter, Margaret E., who was born in New Mexico, August 1, 1908, and is now a student in the Bellingham high school. Genial and unassuming in manner and courteous and accommodating in his relations with his neighbors, Mr. McKenzie has deservedly won their honest regard and stands high among the enterprising and progressive citizens of Ferndale township. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Mrs. McKenzie belongs to the Daughters of Rebekah, having been state president of that order while living in New Mexico.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 612-615
William McKinnon, a veteran wagon maker at Bellingham and now engaged in the manufacture of automobile body tops, holds a record as having built the first wagon made in the Bay settlements and also as the manufacturer of the last wagon made here, the former in 1889 and the latter in 1917. When the automobile became the dominant factor in vehicular transportation he wisely retired from the wagon making business and has since been devoting his attention to the more modern vehicle, having a well equipped factory on Elk street.
Mr. McKinnon is a Canadian by birth, born in the maritime province of Prince Edward island in 1864, and is a son of William and Mary (McLean) McKinnon, the latter of whom also was born in that province. The senior William McKinnon, whose last days were spent in Prince Edward island, was born in Glasgow, Scotland. He was an expert machinist, and when the railroads came into the island he devoted his attention to railway mechanics and was in charge of the first locomotive engine brought there. The junior William McKinnon finished his apprenticeship to the wagon maker's trade in Massachusetts, and in 1888, as a journeyman wagon maker, he came to the western coast and became employed at his trade in Seattle. In the next year he and his brother, Daniel McKinnon, established themselves in business as blacksmiths and wagon makers in the Bay settlements, their shop being at the corner of Chestnut and Railroad avenue. It was in that year, as noted above, that Mr. McKinnon made the first wagon manufactured here, filling an order for the Francis Transfer Company, and the last wagon he made, which was in 1917, was to fill an order for Noble Brothers.
Some two years after taking up his residence here Mr. McKinnon was married and here established his home. About that same time he became engaged in the wagon manufacturing business in association with John Kastner, and this partnership was continued for eight years, at the end of which time he opened a shop of his own at the site now occupied by the Northern Pacific railway station. He later moved from that place to a better site on Magnolia street, thence to a more advantageous site on Elk street and is now established in his own building at No. 1800 Elk street, occupying a ground space of forty by one hundred feet. He is devoting his attention to the manufacture of automobile body tops and is doing very well.
It was in 1891 that Mr. McKinnon was united in marriage to Miss Maude Richards, who was born in the state of Maine, and to this union eight children have been born, namely: Mary, who married Robert Leard of Bellingham and has two children; Ethel F., who married Willis Steward of Bellingham and has three children; Raymond, deceased; Miss Annie McKinnon, who remains at home; W. C. McKinnon, also at home; Ivy, who married Jesse Mapes of Bellingham and has one child; Irvin, who is married and makes his home in Bellingham; and Donald McKinnon, who still is in school. The McKinnons are republicans and have ever given proper attention to local civic affairs. Mr. McKinnon is a member of the Masonic order.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 107-108
McLaughlin, George W.
George W. McLaughlin, a prosperous merchant of Glacier and well known throughout the county, is a native of Iowa and come of pioneer stock. He was born in Adel, Dallas county, December 5, 1875, and his parents, D. W. and Sarah (Tilton) McLaughlin, were among the early settlers of Iowa. The mother was a native of New Hampshire and the father was born in Adrian, Michigan. He was the son of George McLaughlin, who journeyed to Pike's Peak, Colorado. The latter was one of the first to locate at Wallace, Idaho, and in later life returned to Iowa, where he spent his remaining years. His son, D. W. McLaughlin, went to South Dakota in 1877 and established a dairy near Deadwood, selling milk to the soldiers on the reservation. He afterward returned to Iowa and opened a general store at Adel, and was later engaged in that business in the state of Minnesota and also at Enid, Oklahoma. In 1903 he came to Washington and for several years operated a farm near Bellingham. There he passed away in 1924, and his widow is still a resident of the city.
George W. McLaughlin received a public school education, and his first business venture was in the field of contracting. He lived for some time in Enid, Oklahoma, going from there to Bellingham, Washington, and in 1906 embarked in general merchandising at Maple Falls. He conducted the business for six years, establishing a liberal trade, and was also postmaster of the town. He remained at that place until 1912 and then went to Soap Lake, Washington, where he operated a stage for eight years. Mr. McLaughlin was engaged in the same business at Bellingham for about two years, and since 1921 he has been the proprietor of a general store at Glacier. He is an enterprising merchant and an honest dealer who has won the confidence and support of the public.
On December 18, 1901, Mr. McLaughlin married Miss Margaret Helen Reeves, a native of the state of New York and a daughter of S. B. and Helen Reeves. They were pioneers of Kansas and went to Oklahoma when the territory was opened up for settlement. To Mr. and Mrs. McLaughlin were born two children: George, who died when a child of nine; and Loma, aged eleven years. Mr. McLaughlin has been identified with the Woodmen of the World since 1903, and his connection with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows covers a period of eighteen years. He belongs to the encampment, and his wife is one of the Daughters of Rebekah. He is a republican in his political convictions and served for two years and township supervisor. He is a citizen of worth to the community and his progress along business lines has been commensurate with his industry and ability.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 751
McLennen, Charles A.
Charles A. McLennan is making a splendid record in the dual position of the city comptroller and city clerk of Bellingham, which he has filled since December, 1915. His birth occurred in Bracken county, Kentucky, March 20, 1863, his parents being Charles J. and Elizabeth McLennan. The father was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, in March, 1817, and was educated in the College of Edinburgh, form which he was graduated in 1837. Coming to the United States, he settled near Brighton, Kentucky, where he engaged in tobacco growing, in general farming, in road building, in contracting and in the raising of thoroughbred horses. His interests were thus extensive and important and he became one of the leading business men of the community, but in 1861 he put aside all business and personal considerations to join the Union army, being made captain of the Sixty-third Kentucky Infantry, with which he served until the close of the war, rendering valuable aid to the Union cause. He then returned to his Kentucky home, where he remained until called to his final rest in 1883. He was a very active member of the Masonic fraternity, exemplifying in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft. In New York city he had married Elizabeth Allen, and to them were born twenty-one children.
Charles A. McLennan attended a private school in Kentucky and later became a student in St. Mary's College at Dayton, Ohio, which he attended to the age of fourteen years. He afterward spent two years in Day's Business College at cincinnati, Ohio, and subsequently went to Manitoba, Canada, where he was engaged in farming for several years. In 1886 he disposed of his interests there and removed to Vancouver, British Columbia, where he accepted the position of timekeeper with the Canadian Pacific Railroad Company. A year later he was made freight clerk and foreman and acted in that capacity for eighteen months. Going to Tacoma, Washington, he had charge of the local and oriental freight departments of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company for two years, after which, in 1889, he came to Whatcom county, Washington. He took up his abode at Fairhaven, now Bellingham, becoming wharfinger and freight agent for the Fairhaven Land Company, so continuing until November, 1890, when he was appointed deputy United States customs collector, and he was stationed at New Whatcom and at Blaine, Washington, until 1893. At that date he went to Portland, Oregon, and became foreman of construction for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, while later he occupied the position of purser on the company's river boat Potter for three months. He was subsequently made car accountant and so continued until 1897, when he returned to Washington and at Seattle was given charge of the freight sheds for the great Northern Railroad Company, occupying that position until 1899. In the latter year he went to Alaska, where he took charge of the freight business for the Northern Alaska Steamship Company at St. Michaels and at Nome for several years, after which he returned to Bellingham and accepted the position of bookkeeper in the city comptroller's office, there remaining until December, 1915, when he was elected city comptroller and city clerk, in which capacity he has served most efficiently to the present time.
On the 15th of September, Mr. McLennan was married in Bellingham, to Miss Ella McArthur, a sister of H. D. McArthur, extended mention of whom is made on another page of this work. Mr. McLennan gives his political allegiance to the republican party and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He is a worthy exemplar of the teachings and purposes of the Masonic fraternity and is a Royal Arch Mason. He is likewise affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, being a charter member and past chancellor of Fairhaven Lodge No. 56. He has long enjoyed high standing in fraternal, civic and social circles of Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 508-509
McLeod, Captain Neil S.
Captain Neil S. McLeod, a well known retired mariner of Bellingham, with a record of years of service as master of vessels in local waters and in the coastwise trade north, has been a resident of Whatcom county for more than thirty-five years and is thoroughly familiar with conditions here. Captain McLeod is a native of Michigan, born in 1857, his parents both of Scottish stock. When fourteen years of age he began working in the Michigan lumber camps during the winters, spending his summers on the Great Lakes. His first maritime service was a cabin boy and he kept at it until he became rated as an able seaman. For twelve years he remained on the Great Lakes and then some time after his marriage, took up a tract of land in Rolette county, North Dakota, where he engaged in farming until 1889, when he closed out his holdings there and came to the coast, settling at Whatcom in the spring of 1890. The sight of the sea revived his old interest in steamship traffic and not long after his arrival here he got into local sea service, presently got a mate's ticket and became a navigator, sailing out of Bellingham. In 1906 he secured a master's license and was thereafter, until his retirement from the sea in 1923, captain of vessels in the local trade, this service chiefly being confined to the fisheries, though for several years he was in the Alaska coastwise service.
It was in 1878, the year in which he attained his majority, that Captain McLeod was united in marriage to Miss Annie Darling, whose parents were natives of Canada, and they have eight children, six daughters, Lily, May, Annie, Pearl, Marjorie and Mabel, and two sons, Captain Neil J. D. McLeod, in the Pacific-American Fisheries service, and Donald McLeod. The daughters all are married and Mr. and Mrs. McLeod have thirteen grandchildren. Lily married Andrew Gaasland of Bellingham and has two children. May is the wife of Chart Pitt, has three children and resides at Mukilteo, Snohomish county. Annie married Arthur Stearns, now living at Chelan, Washington, and has three children. Pearl married Murray Macaulay, now living at Deming, and has three children. Marjorie married Bonnie Robinson, living at Ceres, and has one child. Mabel married Fred Scheib of Mukilteo and has two children. Neil J. D. McLeod married Dorothy Gooch and has one child. Captain and Mrs. McLeod are republicans and have ever taken an interested part in local civic affairs, as well as in the general social affairs of the city. The Captain is a Scottish Rite thirty-second degree Mason and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Mrs. McLeod is a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the Rebekahs. They reside at 1113 Maple street and are quite pleasantly situated there. It will not be long until they will be celebrating their "golden wedding" and their friends are looking forward to the day with hopeful expectation of making it an occasion of general congratulations and felicitation.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 473-474
William McLeod, one of the finest types of the pioneer citizen, has contributed his share toward the building of many of the large railroad systems of the west, and in later life his energies have been given to the occupation of farming. He is the owner of a valuable ranch in the vicinity of Bellingham and for more than thirty years has resided within the borders of Whatcom county. A native of Scotland, he was born December 11, 1855, and was reared and educated in that country. When eighteen years of age he sailed for Canada, making the voyage in company with his parents, Donald and Christina McLeod, who settled in Quebec. The father was engaged in farming in that province until 1889, when he came to Whatcom, Washington, and in this city Mr. and Mrs. McLeod spent the remainder of their lives, making their home with the subject of this sketch.
William McLeod spent the period of his boyhood in one of the rural districts of Scotland, and the nearest school was situated seven and a half miles from his father's farm, so that he was obliged to walk a distance of fifteen miles each day while pursuing his studies. After reaching the Dominion he became a railroad employee and aided in building the line of the Sherbrook, Easter Township & Kennebec system. In 1876 he obtained a position in the construction department of the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad, with which he was connected when the track was being laid in New York state, and afterward was employed in sawmills in Vermont. In 1880 Mr. McLeod came to the west and assisted in building the line of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad in Colorado. During 1881-82 he worked on the Oregon Short Lines and in the spring of 1884 engaged in mining in that state. He next aided in constructing the road of the Northern Pacific and in 1899 went to Alaska, where he spent a year, working on the line of the White Pass Railroad, which was then being constructed. Meanwhile, in 1891, Mr. McLeod had purchased eighty acres of wild land in the vicinity of Lynden, and he diligently applied himself to the arduous task of clearing the place. He prepared the soil for the cultivation of crops and eventually developed a productive farm. He sold the property in 1910 and bought a tract of twenty-four and a half acres, on which he has since made his home. He brings to his occupation a true sense of agricultural economics and never allows a foot of the land to be unproductive. He has erected substantial buildings for the shelter of grain and stock and his farmhouse is one of the most modern and attractive in this locality, being provided with city water, electric light and many other conveniences. He has a herd of registered Jersey cattle and the products of his dairy are of high quality. He keeps four hundred hens and adds considerably to his income by the raising of poultry. He is a firm believer in scientific methods and keeps well informed on all new developments along the lines in which he specializes.
In 1909 Mr. McLeod was united in marriage to Miss Margaret McIntosh, who is also a native of the land of the hills and heather, and who came to the United States during her girlhood. Mr. McLeod casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party and is a member of the Whatcom County Associations of Poultrymen and Dairymen. Honest, industrious and God-fearing, he possesses the admirable qualities of the Scotch race, and judged by the standard of usefulness his life has been a very successful one.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 928-929
McMahon, John W.
John W. McMahon, general mill superintendent of the Bloedel Donovan Lumber Mills at Bellingham, has remained in the service of this company through the past two decades and is one of its most valued representatives. He was born in Ontario, Canada, on the 13th of April, 1882, and was a little lad of six years when brought across the border into the United States by his parents, who located in Michigan. He acquired his education as a public school pupil and after putting aside his textbooks obtained employment in a screen door factory. At the age of nineteen he became superintendent of the mill of the Brown Brothers Lumber Company at Rhinelander, Wisconsin, which concern he represented in that capacity for a period of three years. It was in 1902 that he made his way westward across the country to Washington, going to Biglake, Skagit county, while subsequently he spent six months in British Columbia. Returning to Wisconsin, he was there connected with the Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company, for two years, after which he again entered the service of the Brown Brothers Lumber Company as mill superintendent. In the year 1906 he once more came to Washington and settled at Bellingham, where he identified himself with the Bloedel Donovan Lumber Mills as foreman of Mill A. Later he was made foreman of Mill B, while since 1923 he has filled the position of general mill superintendent, his previous experience well qualifying him for the important duties which devolve upon him in this connection.
In 1907 Mr. McMahon was married to Lydia Green, a daughter of John Green, of Wisconsin. They are the parents of four sons and one daughter, namely: Clement, a high school student; and Paul, Jack, Mary and Richard. In his political views Mr. McMahon is a stanch republican, while fraternally he is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, and the Rotary Club, and all who know him attest his sterling qualities and personal worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 521-522
McNally, J. J.
A man of varied talents, J. J. McNally has successfully followed many lines of activity and is now engaged in the hotel business at Everson, which for nearly a quarter of a century has claimed him as a citizen. He was born October 7, 1866, in Louisville, Kentucky, and his parents, J. J. and Jennie (Musgrove) McNally, were also natives of that state. His father was a well known contractor and for years was intimately associated with building operations in the Blue Grass state.
J. J. McNally, the younger, completed his education in Alexander College of Kentucky, and his first position was that of a newspaper reporter. He next went to Texas as surveyor for a railroad and afterward worked in a furniture factory, learning the hardware finisher's trade. While at St. John, Kansas, Mr. McNally took contracts for painting, having also mastered that trade. In 1902 he came to Whatcom county. He located at Everson and continued at his trade, securing many large contracts. In 1919 he purchased a tract of thirty-six acres in the vicinity of the town and in the intervening period has brought his land to a high state of development, being a progressive agriculturist.
In 1914 Mr. McNally was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Harkness, a member of one of the pioneer families of this locality. In politics Mr. McNally is a republican and along fraternal lines he is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 105
Edward McParland of the Union Iron Works of Bellingham is a well known representative of iron manufacturing interests in this section of the state, in which line he has been engaged for the past quarter of a century. A resident of Whatcom county since he was a boy, he was born in Ireland, January 23, 1883, and was ten years of age when his parents, Frank and Mary McParland, came to Whatcom county with their family in 1893 and settled on a farm, where the father continued actively engaged in farming until his retirement. Both he and his wife spent their last days here.
Edward McParland was ten years of age when he came here with his parents in 1893. He grew up on the home farm, finished his education in this county and instead of "sticking to the farm" became attracted to the iron workers trade and became a skilled foundryman, he and his brother, Frank, learning the foundry trade in Bellingham. In 1905 they became engaged in the foundry business on their own account, setting up a plant which since has been developed into the present extensive business of the Union Iron Works on Grant street. In 1907 John Hood and John Borchard became connected with the enterprise established by the McParland brothers and have since been connected with the firm. Frank McParland continued his connection with the firm until his death on August 4, 1918. Edward McParland has ever retained his interest in this establishment, his connection therewith now covering a period of more than twenty-five years, and he is widely known in manufacturing circles throughout the state. In 1912 he married Miss Helen Halverson of Bellingham and they have a pleasant home in that city.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 569
McPhail, Rev. Duncan M.
Rev. Duncan M. McPhail had filled the pulpit of the First Baptist church of Bellingham for a period of about eleven years when he was called to the home beyond on the 28th of April 1924. He was a native of Melford, Inverness county, Cape Breton island, Nova Scotia, Canada, where his parents had settled on leaving the land of hills and heather. Both his father and mother were born in Ayr, Scotland, the home of Robert Burns.
Duncan M. McPhail was a lad of eleven years when he made his way from Cape Breton Island to Boston, Massachusetts, where he arrived alone and friendless and with but twenty-five cents in his pocket. Through the assistance of an employment agency he obtained work on a farm, which was owned by a woman who became sincerely interested in him and who stimulated his desire for an education. He pursued night school courses and in the daylight hours learned the blacksmith's trade, at which he worked for a time. Subsequently he spent one year as a student in Worcester Academy of Worcester, Massachusetts, and then for a similar period attended Colgate Academy of Hamilton, New York, while later her matriculated in Brown University of Providence, Rhode Island, from which institution he was graduated.
Rev. McPhail began preaching the gospel while pursuing his studies in Brown University, and after the completion of his course therein he followed his holy calling in various town of the east. It was in 1904 that he journeyed across the country to Sacramento, California, where for six years he served as pastor of the Calvary Baptist church, which he erected, and about 1910 he removed to Portland, Oregon, where he filled the pastorate of the Arleta Baptist church for three years. On the expiration of that period he came to Bellingham, Washington, in September, 1913, and assumed the pastorate of the First Baptist church, of which he continued in charge throughout the remainder of his life.
The First Baptist church of Bellingham was organized on the 1st of July, 1883, with but six members, and was the principal house of worship in the city at that time. Its Bible school was organized in May, 1884. Its first edifice, which was erected on I street, near Holly street, is now the property of the Christian Advent church. The present house of worship of the Baptist denomination at Bellingham was built in 1895. The following named have occupied the pulpit of the First Baptist church during the period of its existence: Rev. J. Wickser, one year; Rev. J. Lennie, one year; Rev. J. Wickser, two years; Rev. W. G. Jone, one year; Rev. J. F. Norris, one year; Rev. E. M. Bliss, two years; Rev. C. F. Brownley, three years; supply pastors, three years; Rev. F. A. Agar, two years; Rev. M. C. Cole, three years; Rev. Gillman Parker, three years; Rev. George R. Varney, three years; Rev. T. H. Cornish, three years; Rev. A. Sterling Barner, one year; Rev. J. F. Crop, two years; Rev. Duncan M. McPhail, who during his pastorate of eleven years built additions to the church costing seventeen thousand dollars; and Rev. Martin Storgaard, who has served as pastor since October, 1924. The First Baptist church of Bellingham now has a membership of about four hundred.
In 1903 Rev. McPhail was united in marriage to Mary E. Eldredge, a native of Massachusetts, in which state her parents also were born. The Eldredge family was established on American soil in colonial days and eight of that name participated in the Revolutionary war, while the father of Mrs. McPhail served in the Civil war. Rev. and Mrs. McPhail became the parents of two children: Sterling E., who is a graduate of the Bellingham high school and is now in the employ of the Morse Hardware Company of Bellingham; and Miriam W., who is a graduate of the Bellingham high school and the State Normal School at Bellingham.
Rev. McPhail was a stanch republican in politics and a citizen whose influence was ever exerted on the side of progress, reform and advancement. He became a charter member of the Kiwanis Club and withheld his aid and cooperation from no movement or measure looking toward the upbuilding of the community. He possessed marked oratorical ability and during the period of the World war rendered patriotic service to the government in connection with the various drives. A Scottish Rite Mason, he was a worthy exemplar of the teachings and purposes of the craft, and he also belongs to Phi Kappa Psi, a Greek letter fraternity. When he passed away, Bellingham mourned the loss of a loved minister of the gospel and a valued citizen, his friends missed a cherished companion and his wife and children were bereft of a devoted and affectionate husband and father. As a manifestation of the respect and esteem in which Rev. McPhail was held, his Masonic friends erected a beautiful monument in his memory.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 358-361