Monahan, James L.
James L. Monahan, a dealer in automobile supplies, has spent much of his life in Bellingham, and a well conducted, rapidly growing business testified to his enterprising spirit and executive capacity. He was born May 13, 1893, in the state of Texas, and his parents, James A. and Emma (Marsh) Monahan, were natives of Ireland. They were among the early settlers of the Lone Star state, and the father was engaged in railroad work for several years. In 1896 he brought his family to Montana and for nine years operated a ranch in that state. In 1905 he came to northwestern Washington and is now conducting an employment office in Bellingham.
James L. Monahan attended the public schools of Montana and aided his father in the cultivation of the home farm. He afterward worked in the lumber woods of Washington and as he became more experienced acted as a log scaler, subsequently becoming a steam engineer in logging camps. He was connected with the lumber industry until 1920, when he returned to Bellingham and accepted a position in the establishment of a Buick dealer, with whom he remained for four years. On July 1, 1924, Mr. Monahan perfected his plans for an independent venture and leased the ground floor and basement of a building on the corner of Elk and Chestnut streets. Here he opened a fine garage and repair shop, fifty-five by one hundred and five feet in dimensions, and in a brief period has established a profitable business, employing about seven experienced men. He handles hard rubber tires and other automobile accessories, and his repair shop is equipped with every appliance necessary for first class service. He is courteous, obliging and trustworthy and has secured a large percentage of the tourist trade.
In 1916 Mr. Monahan married Miss Ada Carpenter, a daughter of Fred and Ada Carpenter, pioneers of Everett, Washington, and to this union has been born one child, Margaret Ada. Mrs. Monahan lived for a time in Montana and her marriage occurred in Shelby Junction, that state. Mr. Monahan follows an independent course in politics, casting his ballot for the candidate whom he considers best qualified to conserve the public weal, and along fraternal lines he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He brings to his daily tasks the energy and enthusiasm of youth and is endowed with every quality essential to success in business life.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 702
Monroe, George A.
George A. Monroe is widely known as the pioneer mortician of Whatcom county and represents a family whose members have figured prominently in business circles of Ferndale for more than forty years. He was born September 24, 1858, in Michigan City, Indiana, of which state his parents, Henry and Angeline (Griffin) Monroe, were early settlers. The latter was a native of New York state and the father was born in Inverness, Scotland. They came to Ferndale in 1884 by way of the water route and here spent the remainder of their lives. Their sons, John H. and Daniel G. Monroe, had preceded them to Ferndale in 1883 and operated the first sawmill in this locality. A sister is the widow of F. L. Whitney, one of the pioneer surveyors of Ferndale, and another sisters, Mrs. A. M. Crawford, passed away in Bellingham, in which city her husband's demise also occurred.
After the completion of his high school course George A. Monroe devoted a number of years to educational work, teaching school in Indiana and later in Washington. In 1897 he opened an undertaking establishment in Ferndale and later added a line of furniture. He is well informed on all matters pertaining to the lines in which he specializes, and the steady growth of the business is indicative of his executive ability, good judgment and honorable dealing.
On September 24, 1883, Mr. Monroe married Miss Anna Berg, a daughter of John and Dora Berg, who passed away in Laporte county, Indiana. To Mr. and Mrs. Monroe were born seven children: Harry, who died in 1888; Jennie, the wife of Harry D. Jackson, of Anacortes, Washington, and the mother of two children, a son and a daughter; Mary, now Mrs. Byron E. Shellaberger, of Bellingham; Hattie, the wife of William E. Goeller, of Spokane, Washington, by whom she has one child, a son; Helen, who married J. R. Barkley, of San Diego, California, and has three sons; George H., who is a graduate of the University of Washington and follows the profession of teaching; and John R., who is attending the State Normal School at Bellingham, making a special study of the violin.
Mr. Monroe votes the democratic ticket and is a consistent member of the Baptist church, with which his wife is also affiliated. When they came to Ferndale it was a typical frontier district and the only means of communication with the outside world was through the stage, which stopped at the town but once a week, or by canoe. The forests were filled with wild animals, and one day while walking on the road near their home they discovered a cougar but were not attacked. They have passed through all of the phases of pioneer existence, learning many valuable lessons in the school of experience, and the prosperity which they now enjoy is the merited reward of years of industry and thrift. Theirs is one of the most hospitable homes in the county, and their friends are legion.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 764-765
Montfort, George D.
George D. Montfort, a successful lawyer, has practiced in Blaine for more than two decades and is also filling the office of postmaster. He was born October 13, 1872, and is a native of Ireland. His father, A. R. Montfort, was born in November, 1838. He was made an ensign in the British navy and his commission, dated May 28, 1858, bore the signature of Queen Victoria. Later he joined the British army and on January 18, 1867, was promoted to the rank of captain, serving with the Tenth Infantry in Cape Colony, Africa, and in India. He remained in the service of Great Britain until 1876, when he came to the States, and he lived for a few years in Kentucky. In 1880 he migrated to the west, locating in Minnesota, and in the fall of 1903 established his home in Blaine, Washington. He became one of the prominent business men of the town and was a stockholder in the Home State Bank. He was loyal to the country of his adoption and thoroughly identified his interests with those of the community, in which he was highly esteemed. In 1866 he had married Miss Margaret Leslie Dickson. His life was terminated August 12, 1912.
George D. Montfort was a boy of eight when the family moved to the Gopher state, in which he received his public school education, and in 1898 he was graduated from the law department of the University of Minnesota. At the time of the Spanish-American war he entered the United States army and was in active service in the Philippines. After receiving his honorable discharge he began the practice of law in Minnesota where he followed his profession for a few years, and in 1902 came to Whatcom county, Washington, opening a law office in Blaine, where he has since practiced. He also published the Blaine Journal for four years but in 1906 withdrew from the newspaper business, reserving all of his energies for his profession. He was appointed United States commissioner, a post which he filled for a considerable period, and for sixteen years acted as city attorney of Blaine.
On June 25, 1902 Mr. Montfort was united in marriage to Miss Louise J. Morris, a native of Litchfield, Minnesota, and a daughter of James H. and Florence Morris. To Mr. and Mrs. Montfort were born two children, but the daughter, Florence Alice, is deceased. Their son, Richford, is a student in the commercial department of the University of Washington. During the World war Mr. Montfort was clerk of the Whatcom county draft board, and on April 19, 1922, he was appointed postmaster of Blaine. His duties are performed with characteristic thoroughness and fidelity and his services have been very satisfactory. He take a keen interest in politics and is a strong advocate of the republican party. He belongs to the association of United Spanish War Veterans and is also identified with the Masonic fraternity and the Knights of Pythias.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 556-557
Montgomery, Alexander Hugh
Character as capital stands supreme in the commercial world of today. This is the secret of the success which crowned the efforts of Alexander Hugh Montgomery, who founded his business upon the substantial qualities of honor, integrity and trustworthiness, to which he always closely adhered, and for more than twenty years he enjoyed an enviable reputation in business circles of Bellingham as organizer and manager of the firm of A. H. Montgomery & Son, which is one of the oldest fuel and transfer establishments in the Pacific northwest.
Mr. Montgomery was born in Chicago, Illinois, August 8, 1855, a son of Alexander and Laura (Bliss) Montgomery, and received his education in the schools of Westfield, New York. In 1880 he married and established his home in Parsons, Kansas, where he was for some time engaged in railway service, later moving to Fort Scott, Kansas, where he took up the transfer and fuel business. In 1888 he closed out his interests there and with his family came to Washington, settling on a farm in the vicinity of Chehalis, not long afterward moving to a farm in the vicinity of Napa, California, where he remained until in 1901, in which year he established his home at Bellingham. Upon coming here Mr. Montgomery established the fuel business and built up the extensive plant now conducted on Railroad avenue by the Montgomery Fuel Company, which also handles a large general transfer business and maintains two wood yards in addition to its coal yard. Owing to ill health resulting from injuries sustained in an automobile accident, A. H. Montgomery retired from active management in the affairs pertaining to the business, and his son and former partner, Merle A. Montgomery, became the managing head.
The efforts of A. H. Montgomery were not all directed along the lines of money-making projects, however, and many a patriotic and civic movement gained strength because of his support and assistance. For twelve years he was a member of the board of directors of the Young Men's Christian Association, of which he also served as president. His religious views were in accord with the doctrines and teachings of the Presbyterian church, in which he acted as an elder and trustee, but he later transferred his membership to the Christian Missionary Alliance. Mr. Montgomery fought and won in the battle of life, outdistancing many who began their business careers under more favorable circumstances, and he made his efforts count as a factor in advancing the interests of his city. His demise on March 19, 1926, when in the seventieth year of his age, brought a deep sense of bereavement to his many friends as well as to the members of his immediate family, and his memory will be cherished as a blessed benediction.
In 1880 Mr. Montgomery was married to Miss Abbie V. Marshall, who was born in Pennsylvania, a daughter of James and Hannah (Akins) Marshall. To this union were born five children, namely: Laura Bliss, deceased; Merle A., mentioned above, who is the present heard of the Montgomery Fuel Company of Bellingham; Florence, the wife of E. C. Galbraith, now residing in Helena, Montana; John R. Montgomery, who continues to make his home in Bellingham; and Emma, the wife of T. H. Wakeman of San Pedro, California.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 144-145
Montgomery, Merle A.
Merle A. Montgomery, manager and director of the Montgomery Fuel Company, successor to A. H. Montgomery & Son, one of the oldest continuing fuel and transfer companies in the northwest, with an establishment on Railroad avenue in Bellingham for more than twenty years, is a native of the Sunflower state but has been a resident of the Evergreen state since the days of his childhood and his mature interests thus ever have centered here. Mr. Montgomery was born in Parsons, Labette county, Kansas, in 1883, and in 1888 he came with his parents, Alexander H. and Abbie V. (Marshall) Montgomery, to Washington, the family locating at Chehalis. Some years later they moved to san Francisco and in 1903 came to Bellingham, where they since have resided. A. H. Montgomery was born in Chicago, Illinois, and Mrs. Montgomery in Pennsylvania. He became engaged in railway service and in the transfer business in Parsons, Kansas, and upon coming to Washington followed similar lines. Upon taking up his residence in Bellingham in 1903 he engaged in the fuel business on Railroad avenue and built up the extensive plant now carried on there by the Montgomery Fuel Company, which also has a general transfer business and maintains two wood yards in addition to its coal yard. At length A. H. Montgomery withdrew from active participation in business affairs and lived retired until his death in March, 1926.
M. A. Montgomery was five years of age when he came with his parents to Washington. He had his preparatory schooling in Chehalis and San Francisco, and supplemented this by attendance at the State College of Washington at Pullman and the State Normal School at Bellingham. He early became associated with his father in the fuel and transfer business in Bellingham as member of the firm of A. H. Montgomery & Son, a line which he since has followed, being directing head of this business since the retirement of his father, and is widely known in the trade throughout the northwest. Mr. Montgomery is a member of the Bellingham Kiwanis Club and has for years been recognized as one of the foremost personal factors in the promotion of the general interests of his home town, an active participant in many of the movements that have resulted in steady development here during more than twenty years.
On June 30, 1908, in Bellingham, Mr. Montgomery was united in marriage to Miss Lena Fegley of that city and they have five children, Hugh, Evelyn, Dorothy, Paul and Catherine. The Montgomerys have a pleasant home in Bellingham, residing at 717 Forest street, and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the city's general social and cultural activities. Mr. Montgomery is an enthusiastic member of the local Yacht Club and owner of the yacht, the Merlena, a fifty-foot converted naval vessel with an engine of one hundred and twenty-five horsepower. He also is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 439
Moon, George H.
George H. Moon, one of Bellingham's prominent contractors, has a state-wide reputation and his success is doubly creditable because it has been won through strenuous effort and the exercise of the qualities of perseverance and thrift. A son of John and Thirzah Moon, he was born November 21, 1869, and is a native of Toronto, Canada. He had no opportunity to secure an education, becoming a wage earner when a mere child, and at the age of sixteen was at the head of a large contracting firm. His boyhood was spent in Iowa and he remained in the middle west until 1901, when he came to Bellingham. For several years he was in the employ of the well known contracting firm of Brooker & Campbell, discharging the duties of foreman and superintendent, and in 1914 started out for himself. His business has grown rapidly and he now has a large force of men, doing work in Seattle and throughout Washington as well as in Vancouver, British Columbia, and other important cities of the northwest. He has constructed a number of mills and bridges and also built the dormitory for the State Normal School at Bellingham. He never allows the smallest detail of a contract to be slighted, carefully inspecting the labors of those in his employ, and his work is of high character and uniform excellence.
In 1896 Mr. Moon was united in marriage to Miss Mary Bloss, and they have become the parents of two children: Clarence, who assists his father in business; and Marguerite, who is attending college. Mr. Moon is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He is accorded the respect which the world ever yields to the self-made man, and his constructive labors have been of signal service to the city and state of his adoption.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 529
Moore, L. M.
A product of the east, L. M. Moore has wisely allied his interests with a new and rapidly developing region and represents the best type of Bellingham's younger generation of business men. A son of Richard E. and Ellen Moore, he was born in 1895 and is a native of Bangor, Maine. His father was a substantial business man of that city, concentrating his attention upon the logging industry, and he is survived by the mother, who still makes her home in the Pine Tree state.
L. M. Moore received a public school education, and in 1918, when twenty-three years of age and while attending the Georgetown University Law School, he enlisted in the United States army. He was assigned to duty on the adjutant general's staff and went overseas with the American Expeditionary Force, spending two years in Europe. After his honorable discharge he went to Canada, reaching British Columbia in 1920, and for two years was a resident of the Dominion. He came to Bellingham in 1922 and entered the employ of Barton & Company, wholesale dealers in meat. He acted as bookkeeper and at the end of six months was promoted to the position of manager. He has worked earnestly and untiringly to promote the interests of the firm and the record of his achievements has amply justified the wisdom of the appointment.
On September 7, 1922, Mr. Moore was united in marriage to Miss Louise Wakefield, of Maine, a daughter of Ernest Wakefield, American consul at Prince Rupert, Canada, and they have a son, Terence. Mr. Moore is a Rotarian and belongs to the local council of the Knights of Columbus. He is a communicant of the Catholic church and a conscientious follower of its teachings. He votes independently and stands for principle and for clean politics, never following the dictates of party leaders. A young man of marked strength of character, he is well equipped to cope with the conditions of modern business life, and his future is bright with promise.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 725-726
Moore, William A.
Realizing that hard work is the basis of all progress, William A. Moore has performed to the best of his ability every task assigned him, and his constantly developing powers have placed him with the leading business men of Glacier. A native of Canada, he was born in July, 1886, in the province of New Brunswick, and is a son of Andrew and Lena (Wallace) Moore. The father still lives in New Brunswick, devoting his attention to the contracting business, but the mother is deceased.
W. A. Moore received the benefit of a high school education and earned his first money by clerking in a store, being thus employed for several years. He located at Bellingham, Washington, in 1905, and became a traveling salesman. He also filled the position of clerk in the store of Ireland & Pancoast and in 1917 purchased an interest in the business of the Warnick Lumber Company, of which he has since been manager. A capable executive, he closely supervises every detail of the work, while at the same time he has a clear vision of its larger aspects, and his labors have been effective, resulting in the growth and expansion of the industry. The plant is situated at Glacier and furnishes employment to eighty men. The mill is equipped to cut one hundred thousand feet of logs per day and has a daily capacity of thirty thousand feet of lumber. The members of the firm are men of high standing, and the business has played an important part in the development of this district.
In 1909 Mr. Moore was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Anderson, of Bellingham, and they have a daughter, Maxine. Mr. Moore votes the republican ticket but has never sought office as a reward for party fealty. He has no club or fraternal affiliations, reserving all of his energies for business affairs, and possesses that strength of purpose which never fails to reach its objective, employing methods which will bear the light of close investigation and scrutiny.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 624
One of the fine truck farms in the vicinity of Bellingham is that owned and operated by David Moors, a successful agriculturist and for twenty-five years a resident of Rome township. He was born January 4, 1859, near Quebec, Canada, and his parents, Jonathan B. and Lorinda (Sausson) Moors, were also natives of the province of Quebec. His father was the first white child born in Beckwith township and in 1885 left the Dominion, entering a homestead in North Dakota. He developed the tract and followed the occupation of farming in that state until his death in 1897, while the mother passed away in 1901. To their union were born twelve children, six of whom are now living.
David Moors was educated in the public schools of Quebec and remained in his native country until he reached the age of twenty. In 1879 he crossed the border into the United States and or some time was employed in cutting timber in the lumber camps of northern Michigan, also working as a log driver. In 1885 he homesteaded a quarter section in Pierce county, Wisconsin, and for six years devoted his energies to the development of the place, which he sold in 1901. He then came to Whatcom county, Washington, and purchased a tract of thirty acres in Rome township. He built a small house on the property, which was covered with brush and trees, and began the task of clearing his land. He now has fifteen acres under cultivation and the balance is used for pasture. He keeps a few cows and has a flock of sixteen hundred hens, raising poultry on an extensive scale. He is well informed on matters pertaining to this industry, which has brought prosperity to many residents of the county, and is also an expert truck gardner, marketing his produce in Bellingham. He enjoys his work and is a thorough believer in scientific methods.
In April, 1885, Mr. Moors married Miss Catherine Jane Keller, a native of Canada and a daughter of Phillip and Mary Ann Keller, both lifelong resident of the Dominion. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Moors were born four children, of whom Mrs. May Cannon is the eldest. She has a family of seven children: Elwyn, Winnell, Evelyn, Willard, Berwyn, Liveva and Patricia. Her sister, Mrs. Gertrude Campbell, has become the mother of one child, Lois. Their brother, Clarence D., is married and has a son, Burton W. Claud B., the youngest member of the family, is a bachelor and resides on the homestead.
Mr. Moors is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Raisers Association and also belongs to Camp Wahl of the Modern Woodmen of America. He is an earnest worker for the good of his district and recently entered upon his third term as a member of the board of township supervisors. He served for eighteen years as a county road supervisor and is largely responsible for the fine public highways in this part of the state. He regards a public office as a trust given him by the people and his record is an unblemished one, winning for him the unqualified esteem and confidence of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 641