Morell, Hubert S.
A product of the west, Hubert S. Morell is thoroughly imbued with the qualities of enterprise and determination which constitute the basis of all advancement and is successfully operating one of the fine farms of Acme township. He was born September 8, 1887, and is a native of Punta Arena, California. His parents Hugh and Laura E. (Fowler) Morell, came to Washington early in the '90s and settled at Snohomish. The father has passed away and the mother is now residing in Seattle.
Hubert S. Morell completed his education in the public schools of Washington and also attended a business college in Bellingham. He was employed along various lines and is now devoting his energies to the cultivation of the Stephens homestead, one of the oldest and finest ranches in Acme township. It contains one hundred acres of rich and arable land, and in the development of the property Mr. Morell utilizes the most efficient methods, keeping pace with all new developments along agricultural lines.
In August, 1916, Mr. Morell was united in marriage to Miss Anna Stephens, a daughter of Thomas H. and Mary F. (McDaniel) Stephens, the former of whom has lived in Whatcom county since 1884 and is one of the oldest settlers of the Nooksack valley. Mr. Morell is a tireless worker, finding true happiness and contentment in the knowledge of duty well performed. The Benevolent Protective Order of Elks is the only organization of a social or fraternal nature with which he is affiliated. He is a young man of substantial worth and occupies a secure place in the esteem of the residents of this locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 731
Morgan, Emma A. (Bruns)
Mrs. Emma A. Morgan was born at Chicago, Illinois, in 1859, and is a daughter of B. H. Bruns, who was born in Westphalen, Germany, February 22, 1823, and whose death occurred September 24, 1909, when eighty-six years of age. On July 4, 1843, he came to the United States with his father and family, eight in number. He has secured his education in his native land and it was in order that he might escape military service that the family emigrated from their home country. The paternal grandfather died at sea during the voyage, which took nine weeks and four days from Germany to New Orleans. The father located at Dunkel's Grove, eighteen miles from Chicago. He was a tailor by trade and in those early days in the middle west followed the example of so many other craftsmen and went from house to house, doing his work at each home where his services were required. Later he became the maker of coffins, as well as a sash and door maker, both of which callings were greatly appreciated among the pioneers. In April, 1870, Mr. Bruns left Chicago and came to Whatcom county with Governor Solomon's party and located the land where his farm was later established. He then returned to Chicago, but on November 1, 1870, he again came west, coming by railroad to San Francisco and going thence by boat to Portland, Oregon, where he hired a farmer's light wagon, with which he drove to Olympia, whence he went to his own place on a mule. He bought over a thousand acres of land on Birch bay, of which locality he was a pioneer, and here he became a prominent and influential citizen.
Mrs. Morgan was educated in the public schools of Chicago and completed her studies in the school which was built by her father near their home here. On October 15, 1890, she became the wife of Charles B. Morgan, who was a native of Maine. He went to Nome, where he remained about three months, and was then for several months at Prince of Wales island, after which he became interested in the fishing industry, having observed how plentiful the edible fish were. He went to the eastern states in order to interest capital in a company to exploit the fishing business, but was unsuccessful. He served for several years as a member of the board of county commissioners. To this union were born two children: Ina E., who lives with her mother, was married and has a daughter, Norina Estelle; and Virgil B., who lives in North Bellingham, was married to Miss Evelyn Nuvell, and has two children, Dorothy May and June Virginia. Mrs. Morgan lived in Blaine during the greater part of the time of her marriage until about 1903, after which she lived with her brother for about three years. Since that time she has in a small way engaged in farming and also runs Morgan's Cottonwood Beach Store, in which enterprise she is prospering. In connection with the store she controls about a quarter mile of beach frontage, along which are bath houses, summer cottages and other conveniences for the pleasure of summer vacationists. At one time she tried homesteading in Idaho but did not prove up on the land and returned home to take care of her mother. She is a woman of sound business ability, tact and judgment, is successful in her individual affairs and has also gained an enviable place in the respect and esteem of the entire community in which she lives.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 213-214
Morgan, Gus E.
Gus E. Morgan, well known young confectioner at Bellingham and proprietor of "Smiles 'n Chuckles," one of the most popular and well appointed confectionery shops in the northwest, grew up to the candy business and is thoroughly familiar with every detail thereof. He was born in the city of Vancouver, British Columbia, October 15, 1895, and was in his ninth year when in 1904 his parents, W. C. and Annie Morgan, moved with their family from that place to Bellingham.
W. C. Morgan, widely and familiarly known as "Battleship" Morgan, a pioneer candy manufacturer and formerly for six years manager of the Bellingham baseball team, is now located in Seattle, the proprietor of "The Cave," an attractive and popular coffee house and restaurant in that city. He was the founder of a similar establishment of the same name in Bellingham modeled after the fashion of a famous stalactite studden cavern in Virginia and on which process of interior decoration he holds the patent right. In 1911 he sold his Bellingham confectionery shop and became engaged in the dairy business, establishing a chain of stores for the Royal Dairy Company. Upon the completion of that work he established another of his "caves" in Everett, presently opened one in Tacoma and also in Sacramento, conducting these places until he finally disposed of that chain and established himself in business in Seattle, erecting there "The Cave," which is now being operated under his skilled management.
Reared in Bellingham, Gus E. Morgan was educated in the schools of that city and under his father's capable direction early became an expert in the confectionery line. In 1912 he opened on Holly street a restaurant and confectionery shop to which he gave the name of "The Quality Dairy Shop," and there he did so well that he presently was compelled to seek larger quarters. It was then that he opened his now justly popular establishment "Smiles 'n Chuckles," at No. 1319 Cornwall avenue, and he has since been successfully engaged in business here. The catchy name which Mr. Morgan gave his confectionery shop has been protected for his own use by registry in the United States patent office. He makes a specialty of quality candies and ice cream and is doing well. Mr. Morgan is a member of the Bellingham Lions Club and is also affiliated with the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
In 1920, at Everett, Mr. Morgan was united in marriage to Miss Leva Walker, and they have two children, Mary and William. Mrs. Morgan is a daughter of William and Pauline Walker, the former of whom is deceased and the latter of whom is now living in Bellingham, residing with her daughter.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 50-51
Morgan, Henry A.
The chief characteristics of Henry A. Morgan, well known farmer and stock buyer of the western part of Whatcom county, are keenness of perception, unflagging energy, honesty of motive and sound judgment, elements which have enabled him to attain a very gratifying measure of success. He has worked his own way from a modest beginning to a place of independence in material affairs and is numbered among the representative men of his locality. Mr. Morgan is a native of the state of Kentucky, born on the 16th of August, 1872, and is a son of T. P. and Amanda (Brown) Morgan, both of whom also were natives of the Blue Grass state, where the father followed farming pursuits during his entire active life. These worthy parents are both deceased, the father dying in 1895 and the mother in 1898. They had nine children, namely: W. H. Jordan (a half-brother), W. H., Dora, Victoria, Ruth, Lucy, T. J., Henry A. and Ermine.
Henry A. Morgan received his education in the public schools of his native state and remained under the parental roof until 1897, when he came to Washington. In April of the following year he enlisted in the Washington Volunteers for a five months' service. In the fall of that year he bought eighty acres of land in Nooksack township, nearly all of which was covered with woods, and he also homesteaded forty acres adjoining. He immediately applied himself to the task of clearing the land and now has about twenty-five acres cleared and in cultivation. In 1906 Mr. Morgan bought forty acres of land in British Columbia, to which he moved, clearing the land of the timber which stood on it. He built a good house and two large barns, had twelve good milk cows and grew fine crops of grain and hay. He remained on that place about eight years and then leased it and returned to Whatcom county. In 1917 he bought twenty acres of land in Lawrence township and ten acres in Ten Mile township, both of which tracts are partly cleared, and he has leased both of these places. In addition to the operation of his original ranch here, he also engages extensively in the buying and selling of farm live stock, in which he has been very successful, being a good judge of stock and its value. His entire business career has been marked by the exercise of sound and conservative judgment, though at the same time he is progressive and alert. No one has ever questioned his integrity and he conducts his affairs according to the best ethics of business usage.
In November, 1900, Mr. Morgan was married to Miss Cassie McGillivary, who was born in Stormont county, Ontario, Canada, a daughter of Malcolm and Maggie McGillivary, to whom were born nine children, namely: Cassie, Jennie, Mary, Daniel, Maggie and Kenneth, twins, Jessie, and Laura and Nora, twins. Mr. and Mrs. Morgan have no children of their own, but they have out of the kindness of their hearts reared two children, namely: Charlie, who was born in 1905 in Kentucky, was graduated from the Nooksack high school and from the State Normal School at Bellingham and is now engaged in teaching school; and Christine, who was born in Kentucky in October, 1906, was graduated from high school and on October 25, 1925, became the wife of Thomas T. Brue, of Everson. Mr. Morgan takes a commendable interest in public affairs, supporting every measure calculated to advance the interests of the community, and his influence is always on the right side of every moral issue. He is genial and friendly in his social relations and enjoys a well merited standing among the leading men of his locality, where he is esteemed for his genuine worth as a man and a citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 299-300
Bellingham is indebted to Canada for many of its leaders of business enterprise, and in this connection Archie Morrison is deserving of particular mention owing to his substantial contribution toward the development of the lumber industry of Washington. He was born July 23, 1852, and is a native of Quebec. His parents were William and Elizabeth (Clarkson) Morrison, the former of whom was also engaged in the lumber business and operated a mill at Montreal, Canada.
Archie Morrison attended the public schools of the Dominion and in his father's plant mastered the technicalities of the lumber business, from time to time assuming heavier responsibilities. For seven years he was engaged in the sawmill business in the province of Manitoba and then crossed the border into the United States, coming to Whatcom county in 1893. At Ferndale, Washington, in association with his brothers, he organized the Morrison Mill Company, of which he became president and treasurer, and William Morrison was elected vice president. Robert Morrison was chosen secretary and James and Archie Morrison were named as directors. The Ferndale plant, which had a capacity of seventy-five thousand feet of lumber per day, was later destroyed by fire. About 1903 the firm erected a mill at Bellingham which has a capacity of one hundred and twenty-five thousand feet per day, and afterward opened a plant at Blaine, Washington, capable of sawing seventy-five thousand feet of lumber per day. In 1918 the company purchased a mill at Anacortes, Washington, which it has improved until this is one of the best and most modern mills in the state, with a capacity of one hundred and fifty thousand feet per day. The firm owns a large amount of standing timber and furnishes employment to about five hundred men. The industry ranks with the largest of the kind in Washington and the prestige now enjoyed by the company is due to the indefatigable efforts of the six Morrison brothers, who are constantly devising new plans for the expansion of the undertaking. Robert Morrison, the second son of William and Elizabeth (Clarkson) Morrison and now a resident of Blaine, was the promoting head of the business. It was his initiative and ability that laid the foundation for the present great Morrison mill industry of northwestern Washington. High ideals of service have ever governed the firm and the industry has constituted a vital element in the upbuilding of the Pacific northwest.
On September 18, 1878, Archie Morrison married Miss Barbara Bennett, a native of Quebec, Canada, and of Scotch descent. They have become the parents of three daughters and two sons, all of whom are living. Mr. Morrison gives his political allegiance to the republican party. he is a man of marked strength of character and occupies a central place on the stage of activity in Bellingham, which has greatly benefited by his progressive citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 64-67
James Morrison, former president of the Morrison Mill Company and still connected with the operations of that pioneer lumber enterprise though now making his home in Los Angeles, California, was born in Quebec, November 15, 1862, a son of William and Elizabeth (Clarkson) Morrison, and was early trained to the lumber mill business, his father having been the proprietor of a mill in Montreal, as is related elsewhere in this work, together with information concerning the coming of the Morrison brothers, Robert, Archie, John and William and James, to Whatcom county and of their establishment of the great mill industry which ever since has been operated under the name of the Morrison Mill Company, with plants at Bellingham, Blaine and Anacortes.
James Morrison's first acquaintance with timber operations in Washington was in 1887, in which year he became connected with Seattle Lumber & Commercial Mill Company, being one of the owners of that enterprise and director of its affairs in the Victoria area, an interest which he has ever retained. In 1891 he and his brothers began their development work in Whatcom county, the story of which is told elsewhere, and he was elected president of the company, which executive position he occupied until his removal to Los Angeles in 1922, in which year he was succeeded as president by his brother Archie. James Morrison is vice president of the Morrison Mill Company and Robert C. Morrison is the secretary. Since 1910 Mr. Morrison had been spending his winters in California, but it was not until 1922 that he decided to make his permanent residence there. In 1897 he married Mary A. Clarkson, a daughter of Joseph Clarkson, and they have a son, Kenneth C. Morrison, who is a student in the State Normal School at Bellingham. The Morrisons all are republicans and are members of the Presbyterian church.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 912-913
John Morrison is one of Bellingham's substantial business men and for thirty-three years has been a resident of the city, devoting his attention to the lumber industry. He was born July 3, 1862, in Quebec, Canada, and his parents were William and Elizabeth (Clarkson) Morrison. He attended the public schools of his native country and acquired his first knowledge of the lumber business in his father's plant at Montreal. His keen mind enabled him to readily assimilate the details of the industry and in 1891 he was made manager of a mill in Seattle, Washington, filling the position for a year. In 1893 he came to Bellingham and for many years was vice president of the Morrison Mill Company, of which he is now a director, aiding materially in the development of the business, which is one of extensive proportions. His brother, Archie Morrison, is president of the company, which has about five hundred employes. The firm owns and operates three large, well equipped mills, located at Bellingham, Blaine and Anacortes, and the corporation is classed with the most reliable, progressive and successful lumber concerns of the state.
On June 26, 1889, Mr. Morrison married Miss Mary M. Currie, of Winnipeg, Canada, and they became the parents of five children but John, the second in order of birth is deceased. William I., foreman of the plant at Blaine, is married and has three children. The others are Florence, who resides with her parents; Jessie, the wife of J. J. White, of Seattle; and Mary Ella, also at home.
Mr. Morrison is a member of Bellingham Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. He occupies a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens, for his life has been guided by honorable principles, and what he has accomplished represents the fit utilization of his innate powers and talents.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 136
Morrison, J. R.; M.D.
Dr. J. Reid Morrison has long been numbered among the foremost members of the medical fraternity of Bellingham and is one of the valuable citizens whom Canada has furnished to the state of Washington. He was born in the province of Ontario on the 27th of April, 1873, and his parents, Peter and Barbara Morrison, are both deceased. He spent his boyhood on his father's farm, attending the public schools of the neighborhood, and later entered the Toronto Medical College, from which he was graduated with the class of 1902. He practiced for a few years at Donnybrook, North Dakota, and during 1905-6 took a special course in surgery and served an an interne in the Post-Graduate Hospital of Chicago. During the last six months of that term he was first assistant to Dr. Franklin H. Martin, who is now director general of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Morrison came to Bellingham in 1907 and is now specializing in radium, X-ray and surgery. He is an expert Roentgenologist and his professional skill is in constant demand. He aided in organizing the Bellingham Clinic, of which he is vice president, and his achievements in surgery have won for him more than local prominence.
On April 15, 1908, Dr. Morrison married Miss Lillian E. Cramer, of Kansas, and they have two daughters, Margaret L. and Eilene M. The Doctor is a thirty-second degree Mason, a Noble of the Mystic Shrine, and along social lines is connected with the Bellingham Golf & Country Club. He is a member of the local Kiwanis Club, of which he was formerly a director, and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He is a past president of the Whatcom County Medical Society and in 1924 was elected vice president of the Washington State Medical Society. He is also a member of the American Medical Association and the American College of Surgeons. Impelled by the desire to benefit humanity, he is constantly striving to perfect himself in his chosen vocation in life and has won a high place in the esteem of his professional colleagues and the general public as well.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 778-779
Morrison, Robert C.
Robert C. Morrison, veteran lumberman, promoter and secretary of the Morrison Mill Company, with plants at Bellingham, Blaine and Anacortes, has for years been recognized as one of the real leaders in the lumber industry in this section of Washington. For forty-five years he has been connected with that industry here, he and his brothers, Archie, John, William, James and Joseph, having developed a business which ranks well up toward the top in the list of the great lumber activities of the northwest. Further details with regard thereto may be found elsewhere in this work, in the sketch of Archie Morrison, who is president of the company which the brothers organized in this county more than thirty years ago.
Born in quebec in 1858, a son of William and Elizabeth (Clarkson) Morrison, Robert C. Morrison received the advantage of good schooling and in his father's lumber mill in Montreal was early trained in the details of the milling business. In 1882, when twenty-four years of age, he came to the States and after a brief residence in San Francisco established himself in Seattle, where he became connected with the lumbering operations of the Stetson & Post Lumber Company. He was thus engaged until 1891, when he came up to Whatcom county and embarked in logging on the Nooksack in Ferndale township. In this business he was joined by his brothers and in 1893 the Morrison Mill Company was organized, with Archie Morrison as president, William Morrison as vice-president and Robert Morrison as secretary. The original Ferndale plant of the company was soon outgrown and in 1903 the Bellingham plant was erected, to which presently was added the plant at Blaine. In 1918 the company's activities were further extended by the taking over of a lumber plant at Anacortes, which has since been improved and enlarged in accordance with the Morrison standards of operation and production. The Bellingham plant has a capacity of one hundred and twenty-five thousand feet a day, the Blaine plant a capacity of seventy-five thousand feet and the Anacortes plant, one hundred and fifty thousand feet. The Morrison brothers have large holdings in standing timber and have for years been accounted among the leaders in that industry in the northwest, their products finding a ready and choice market in the lumber trade.
In 1916 Robert C. Morrison was united in marriage to Miss Helen Morrison, of the same name but of no blood kindred, and they reside in Blaine, where they occupy one of the handsomest homes in the county. Mr. and Mrs. Morrison are members of the Presbyterian church, are republicans and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the general social and civic activities of their community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 100
William Morrison, vice president of the Morrison Mill Company, operating at Bellingham, Blaine and Anacortes, one of the best known lumber concerns in the northwest as well as one of the oldest continuing enterprises of the kind in the state of Washington, has been a resident of Whatcom county for the past thirty-five years.
He was born in the city of Quebec, May 24, 1867, and is one of the six sons of William and Elizabeth (Clarkson) Morrison. In the early '90s he became connected with the lumber industry in this county and operating as the Morrison Mill Company has become recognized as one of the influential factors in this industry in the state of Washington and throughout the great northwestern timber country. His father operated a lumber mill in the town of New Glascow and it was there that he became familiar with the details of the lumber business. In the fall of 1892 he came to Whatcom county, where he joined his elder brother, who had, acting on the initiative of Robert C. Morrison, the family "pathfinder" in the Nooksack country, embarked in the lumber business in the Ferndale district the year before, and he ever since has been engaged in the lumber and box shook business here, being vice president of the Morrison Mill Company, which the brothers organized in 1893. This company now has plants at Bellingham, Blaine and Anacortes, with a combined capacity of three hundred and fifty thousand feet of lumber a day. The Morrison Mill Company built their first box factory in connection with their sawmill at Ferndale, in 1892, it being the first factory of its kind on the coast. This was the start of their present box factories which now ship box shooks to all the principal markets of the world.
William Morrison makes his home in Bellingham; is a member of the Presbyterian church, as are his brothers, and gives his support to the general social, civic and cultural activities of the community of which he for so many years has been a helpful and influential personal factor. The Morrison Mill Company has for many years been one of the large employers of labor in this section of the state and its influence in general development here has ever been exerted along proper and systematic lines. When the local historian of the future essays the task of reviewing the elements that may be regarded as basic in the development movements of this generation grateful recognition must be made of the work the Morrison brothers have accomplished.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 172-175
Morse, Cecil A.
Among the pioneer mercantile houses of the northwest, none is better known that the Morse Hardware Company of Bellingham, Washington, which since the year 1884 has borne an unassailable recognition for fair and honorable dealing, and the steady progress decade after decade denotes the usefulness of the business and the quality of service rendered. Cecil A. Morse, the president and manager of the firm, was born April 12, 1883, in San Francisco, California, his parents being Robert I. and Etta (Fowler) Morse. His mother was a native of Manchester, New Hampshire, and his father was born in Sidney, Maine. The Morse family, which was of Scotch and English lineage, was originally founded in Newbury, Massachusetts, by one Anthony Morse, who sailed from London, England, with a brother, William, on the ship James, April 5, 1635. In the very early days the family migrated in ox teams from Massachusetts to Maine and became one of the earliest pioneer families of that state.
In March, 1884, Robert I. Morse, accompanied by his wife and son Cecil, came to Bellingham, leaving San Francisco on the steamship Queen, bringing with him a general stock of hardware, paints, oils, glass, wall paper, etc., valued at approximately three thousand dollars. He opened the first hardware store in what was then known as Sehome, under the firm name of R. I. Morse, and the concern is still transacting business at the original location. Mr. Morse prospered in the undertaking and in 1897 the business was incorporated with a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars. The present firm name, Morse Hardware Company, was then adopted with R. I. Morse as president and manager. He was actively engaged in the business until his demise in 1920, and his plans and theories, deeply conceived and deliberately matured, eventually crystallized into realties. He was a man of broad vision, unerring judgment and exceptional ability and kept the firm not only in line but also in the lead of its competitors, creating a business of extensive proportions.
Cecil A. Morse was but a year old when his parents came to Washington and his education was acquired in the grade and high schools of Bellingham. After completing his studies he entered his father's store and worked his way upward through all the various departments, mastering every detail of the business. Both Mr. Morse and his father early realized Bellingham's advantageous location as a distributing center and in order to familiarize himself with the needs and requirements of the outside territory, he put in a couple of years as traveling salesman for his firm. In 1910 he was elected vice president and assistant manager, a position he held until his father's death in 1920, when he succeeded to the offices of president and manager. He has inherited his father's initiative spirit and administrative power, and under his guidance the business is rapidly expanding. Actively associated with Mr. Morse in the business is his brother, Charles L. Morse, who is also and director and stockholder. In 1897 the firm entered the wholesale field, from which ninety-five per cent of its trade is now drawn, and the capital stock and surplus amount to over four hundred thousand dollars. The company utilizes over seventy thousand square feet of floor space, and its buildings are two and three-story structures of wood, brick and stone. The concern handles complete lines of shelf and heavy hardware, ship chandlery, mill, logging, fishing, cannery, dairy and poultry supplies. Its trade covers northwestern Washington and also extends to British Columbia and Alaska. At the present time the firm furnishes employment to over seventy people and is represented on the road by a number of experienced salesmen. This is a most progressive corporation, ever keeping pace with the constantly changing conditions of modern commerce, and through its notable success has demonstrated the possibilities of this section if utilized to their fullest extent.
In 1906 Mr. Morse was married to Miss Gladys Linse, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Linse, of Bellingham, and the children of this union are two daughters, Catherine and Margaret. Mr. Morse is a vice president and one of the directors of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce, a director of the Bellingham Savings and Loan Association and a director of the Federated Industries of Washington. He is a member of the Bellingham Golf and Country Club and a member and a past president of the Rotary Club. He is a Scottish Rite Mason and has taken the thirty-second degree in the order, and is also a member of Nile Temple A. A. O. N. M. S., of Seattle. He is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and several other fraternal organizations. His political allegiance is given the republican party. His religious affiliations are with the Methodist church, of which he has been an active member and official for a great many years.
Mr. Morse has always taken a keen interest in military affairs and in 1900 enlisted in Company M, First Infantry, Washington National Guard, serving with that organization until 1906. In 1917, when the United States entered the late war, Mr. Morse again offered his services and was commissioned and assigned to Company E, Third Infantry, Washington National Guard, and as captain commanded the company during the years 1918, 1919 and 1920. Since that time he has held a commission in the Washington National Guard Reserve with the rank of major. Mr. Morse is an earnest and effective worker for the good of the community and his record sustains the high reputation which has ever been borne by the members of this well known family.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 82-85
Morse, Robert I.
Robert I. Morse, who for more than a third of a century figured prominently in Bellingham's business circles as president, treasurer and manager of the Morse Hardware Company, departed this life on the 12th of April, 1920, when in the sixty-second year of his age. His birth occurred at Sidney, Maine, on the 8th of June, 1858, his parents being C. T. and Ann R. (Balentine) Morse, who were also natives of the Pine Tree state and came of New England patriotic stock. The father was likewise born at Sidney, Maine, when he removed to Waterville, that state, where he was engaged in farming, also dealing in live stock, until his death, which occurred in February, 1869. To Mr. and Mrs. C. T. Morse were born eight children.
Until he reached the age of seventeen years, Robert I. Morse devoted his time largely to the mastery of the branches of learning that usually constitute the public school curriculum, in connection with farm work. He had begun providing for his own support by helping his mother on the farm after the death of his father, which occurred when he was eleven years of age. It was in 1875 that he left the Atlantic seaboard for the Pacific coast, making his way to San Francisco, California, where for a time he was in the service of a street car company, while later he turned his attention to dairying and subsequently secured employment with an uncle in a hardware and paint store. At the same time, he promoted his education by attendance at night school and later at Dow's Business College.
In 1884, after having resided in San Francisco for about ten years, Mr. Morse removed to Sehome, Washington, now Bellingham, and established himself in the hardware business on a small scale at No. 1039 Elk street. The first building was twenty-seven and one-half by one hundred and fifteen feet, and from the outset his trade steadily grew. He had come to Bellingham as a passenger on the steamship Queen, bringing with him a stock of hardware, paints, oils, glass, wall paper, etc., and he opened the first hardware store in Sehome, starting with approximately three thousand dollars worth of merchandise. The firm has always remained in the same location. Mr. Morse maintained reasonable prices, made it his purpose to sell merchandise of a praiseworthy quality and aimed to perfect store service and delivery. From the outset he made for himself an enviable reputation in the business world, and it quickly became known that his word was as good as his bond. It was not strange, therefore, that in 1892 it was found necessary to add an adjoining store room of equal size at No. 1035 Elk street, and still later he erected a three story brick and stone building, fifty-five by one hundred and fifteen feet.
The frontage on Elk street is now one hundred and sixty-seven feet. At the rear of this building if located a large general warehouse, one hundred and sixty by ninety feet and two stories in height, besides several smaller warehouses nearby, all of which store and storage spaces are packed with goods to their utmost capacity. The plant is located on two railroads, the Northern Pacific and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, and has spur tracks on each line, so that cars can be loaded and unloaded directly at the plant. In 1897 the business was incorporated with a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars. The present style of the Morse Hardware Company was then adopted, and Robert I. Morse was the president and manager, which offices he filled throughout the remainder of his life. In 1897 the firm entered the wholesale field, from which ninety-five per cent of its trade is now drawn, and the capital stock and surplus now amounts to about four hundred thousand dollars. Further details concerning the Morse Hardware Company may be found elsewhere in this work in connection with the sketch of Cecil A. Morse, eldest son of Robert I. Morse, who succeeded his father as president and manager of the enterprise. One of Mr. Morse's favorite jokes was that although he had always occupied the same original location, his business had been carried on in three different towns, first Sehome, later Whatcom and last of all, Bellingham.
On the 17th of May, 1882, in San Francisco, Mr. Morse was married to Miss Etta Fowler, who was born in 1861 at Manchester, New Hampshire, moving to San Francisco with her parents in 1879. There were five children born to that marriage, two of whom are now living: Cecil A. Morse, the president of the Morse Hardware Company, who is married and has two daughters; and Charles L. Morse, who is also married and has two daughters. Mrs. Etta (Fowler) Morse passed away on the 22d of December, 1906. On the 7th of July, 1909, Mr. Morse was again married, his second union being with Miss Ada M. Chisholm, who was born at Wentworth, Nova Scotia, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. D. Chisholm, also natives of that Canadian province, where the family, which is of Scotch Irish extraction, has been represented for several generations. She is the mother of three sons: Robert Irvine, William Howard and David Chisholm, all of whom are high school students.
From the first Mr. Morse actively supported and participated in all matters that promised to develop this section of Puget sound, and his name was always at the fore in community enterprise. He served as a trustee of the town of Sehome in 1888 and later as councilman-at-large for the city of Whatcom. Throughout the years he was an active member of the Chamber of Commerce and served on many important committees. He was one of the first presidents of the Whatcom County Agricultural association, and he also had served on the board of education. He did not care, however, to figure prominently in matters outside of business circles, where he indeed measured up to high standards as a foremost merchant. When he arrived on Bellingham bay there was no dock at Sehome, it being necessary for the steamboats to anchor near the shore and lighter the passengers and freight to the beach in small boats, so he built the first Sehome wharf and operated it for a number of years. During the early '80s times were far from prosperous on the bay, but Mr. Morse managed to give employment for the men of the community and helping to make revenue for the dock.
In his political views Mr. Morse was a lifelong republican. He was influential in establishing the First Baptist church in Bellingham and remained one of its most valued members and officials up to the time of his death. He was also a worthy exemplar of the teaching and purposes of the Masonic fraternity and was a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and belonged to the Mystic Shrine. In a modest and unpretentious manner he performed many charitable and philanthropic acts during his long residence on the bay. He ever had the welfare of the community at large at heart, and in his death the city of Bellingham sustained the loss of one of its foremost business men and highly respected and esteemed citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 34-37
Morsman, J. W.
J. W. Morsman, a well known dairyman and poultryman owning a well kept place of fifteen acres on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale, is a native of the old Green Mountain state but has been a resident of Whatcom county, with a brief exception, since the days of his young manhood, a member of one of the pioneer families here. He was born in Rutland, Vermont, September 12, 1868, and is a son of W. H. and Mandana (Potter) Morsman, both members of old Vermont families, who became residents of Whatcom county in 1888. Mrs. Morsman, who died here in 1917, was the mother of seven children, two sons and five daughters. W. H. Morsman, who died at his home in this county in July, 1925, he then being eighty-five years of age, left Vermont with his family in the early '70s and became a pioneer farmer in Wisconsin. Two years later he moved to Iowa but after two or three years of experience in that state returned to Wisconsin. Some time later, still following his pioneering instincts, he went with his family to Nebraska, where he engaged in farming for six years, at the end of which time, in 1888, he disposed of his interests and came to Washington, and settling in Whatcom county, the fame of which at that time was beginning to attract considerable attention "back east." Upon his arrival here he bought a "forty" of uncleared timber land in the Ferndale neighborhood, and began the task of clearing it. In time he developed a good piece of property there and on that place spent the remainder of his life, one of the substantial and dependable citizens of that community. He was one of the active members of the local grange of the Patrons of Husbandry and did well his part in promoting the general social and agricultural interest of the community in which he became a pioneer.
J. W. Morsman was twenty
years of age when in 1888 he came here with his parents. He had received his education in the schools of Wisconsin
and Iowa and had been well trained to farm life, an aid to his father in the latter's operations while living in
the midwest country. Upon his arrival here and whole "getting the lay of the land" he became employed
as a teamster in Bellingham and in 1890, while thus engaged, was married. Following his marriage he took over twenty
acres of his father's tract, starting to clear and improve it, and there made his home for ten years, at the end
of which time he returned to Bellingham and engaged in timber operations for years, during which period he acquired
some good property in that city. In 1919 he went to Milwaukee and there became employed in the steel mills as operator
of an overhead traveling crane, but it did not take him long to get enough of that and in 1921 he returned to Whatcom
county. On Christmas day of 1922, he moved back to his farm tract and has since made his home there, engaged in
dairying and in the raising of poultry and is doing well. Mr.
Hartwell Morsman is a member of
the Poultry Association and of the Dairymen's Association and finds a ready market for the products of his place.
He also still owns a couple of pieces of property in Bellingham.
On the 3d of July, 1890, in Mountain View township, Mr. Morsman was united in marriage to Miss Mary Harnden, who is a daughter of Milton and Mary Harnden, the latter still living. The father, who died here in 1920, was a native of Massachusetts, reached this county with his family in 1890 and became a well established farmer in Mountain View township. Mr. and Mrs. Morsman have two sons, Oren M., who now is engaged in timber operations, married Georgia Brennan and has three children, Dean, Marion and Richard. Earl W., engaged in milling operations at Lake Whatcom, married Mina Knutsen and has three children, Della, Louise and Delora.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 866-867
Mortiboy, J. B.
The man whose life history is herewith outlined has lived to good purpose and achieved a fine measure of success, solely by his individual efforts. By a straightforward and commendable course he has made his way to a respectable position in the agricultural world, winning the hearty admiration of the people of his community and earning a reputation as an enterprising, progressive man of affairs. J. B. Mortiboy is a native of England, born in 1859, and is a son of C. and Ann (Vincent) Mortiboy. His parents brought their family to the United States in 1869, locating in Jackson county, Wisconsin, where the father followed farming and blacksmithing. He and his wife died in that locality.
J. B. Mortiboy attended the public schools of England and completed his education in the schools of Wisconsin. After completing his studies he learned the blacksmith's trade under his father, but when twenty-one years old he turned his attention to farming, operating several rented farms in that locality. In 1887 he went to Minnesota, where he remained about five years, operating threshing machines and serving as engineer in flouring mills. In 1892 he came to Bellingham, Whatcom county, where lived a sister, Mrs. C. K. Smith, who had come here in 1889. Making his headquarters in that city, he was employed as engineer in shingle mills and at other employment until 1908, when he bought fifty-two acres of land on the Kelly road. This tract was uncleared, but he went to work and in the course of time got some of it in shape for cultivation and erected a set of farm buildings, remaining there until 1913. He next was located on the Guide Meridian road about a year and was for the same length of time on a farm near the county poor farm. He then bought his present farm, comprising eighteen and a half acres, of which about eight acres were cleared. He has devoted himself closely to the improvement of this place and now has fifteen acres cleared, the remainder of the land being in pasture. He is giving his attention mainly to dairying, keeping five good grade cows, for which he raises sufficient feed on his own land. He is a wide-awake, energetic farmer, painstaking in all that he does, and has been rewarded with a fine measure of success.
In 1911 Mr. Mortiboy was married to Mrs. Marthi Grimm, who was born in the island of Jersey, off the coast of France, a daughter of Joseph Blampied, who was a lifelong resident of that island, where his death occurred. By her first marriage she became the mother of two children: Leon, who lives in Tacoma, Washington; and Mrs. Edith Hart, of Seattle. Mr. Mortiboy is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and of the Grange. He was at one time a member of the Knights of the Maccabees. He has always been public-spirited in his attitude toward the welfare of the communities where he has resided, and while in Wisconsin he served as road supervisor. Since coming to this county he has donated much work to the improvement of the public highways, particularly on the Kelly road. He was an ardent fisherman and has the distinction of having caught one of the largest blue trout ever caught in Bellingham bay, fishing at the time from the old railroad causeway which ran across part of the bay. Those who know him best will readily agree with the statement that he is eminently deserving of the material success which has crowned his efforts, and because of his business ability and excellent character, as well as his friendly disposition, he has long held a high place in the esteem and good will of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 361-362