Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led at Genealogy Trails History Group


Whatcom County
Washington
Genealogy and History


Biographies

 

Mos-My

 


Mosier, Jeremiah S.

    Jeremiah S. Mosier, one of the well known citizens of Bellingham, now living retired, was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, in 1852, and is a son of David and Elizabeth (Matter) Mosier, both of whom were born in that state, members of old families there, the former in Berkes county and the latter in Dauphin county. In 1867, when fifteen years of age, he moved with his parents to Iowa, the family settling on a farm in Benton county, where he finished his schooling in the local academy and at eighteen years of age became employed as a teacher in the schools of his home county, rendering this service at a wage of twenty dollars a month and walking seven miles to and from school. For four or five years he continued teaching during the winters, meantime carrying on farm operations during the summers, and then he bought land in Benton county and began farming on his own account. Some years later he sold that place to advantage and moved farther west in Iowa, buying a farm in Plymouth county, and was there engaged in farming for five years or until his removal, in 1885, to Marcus, Cherokee county, Iowa, where he engaged in the poultry business, a line to which he presently added a grocery store. He also engaged in the grain business and in the local realty trade, being one of the active factors in the development of the general interests of that town. For more than twenty-five years Mr. Mosier continued to make his home in Marcus and upon his retirement in 1913 he came to the Sound country, establishing his home in Bellingham, where he since has been living pleasantly retired, he and his wife residing at 2439 Ellis street, where they are quite comfortably situated.

    It was in 1880, in Benton county, Iowa, that Mr. Mosier was united in marriage to Miss Mary Thompson, who was born in that state, daughter of William and Nancy (Tarres) Thompson, natives of Ohio, and the former of whom was the owner of a large farm in Benton county, Iowa, where Mrs. Mosier made her home until her marriage. Of the three children born to this union two are deceased. A daughter, Gertrude, married P. D. Schnebly, now living at Ellensburg, Washington, and has four children, Mary Frances, Dorris Armine, William Mosier Schnebly and Donald Schnebly. Mr. Schnebly was graduated from the Marcus high school and also from the Washington State Normal school at Bellingham and from the Morningside Conservatory of Music at Sioux City, Iowa, and prior to her marriage for three years in Iowa and three years at Ellensburg engaged in teaching. Mr. and Mrs. Mosier are member of the Methodist Episcopal church and are republicans. During the many years of his residence at Marcus, Iowa, Mr. Mosier gave considerable attention to local civic affairs and had rendered public service in various capacities - assessor, member of the town council and census enumerator. He is a veteran member of the Independent Order of Odd fellows and for years has taken an earnest interest in the activities of that popular fraternal organization.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 449


Moultray, William R.

    William R. Moultray, a pioneer of Whatcom county, was born in Crawford county, Missouri, September 10, 1852. His parents, William A. and Martha (Hopkins) Moultray, were natives of Kentucky but were among the early settlers of Missouri.

    At the age of twenty young Moultray came to the territory of Washington, making his home at La Conner for three years. La Conner was then in Whatcom county but owing to a county division later is now in Skagit county. During 1857 he settled at the old Nooksack crossing, so called because it was at this point that the old trail leading from Whatcom to the Carabou gold mines had crossed the Nooksack river. Here he started a trading post near the present site of the town of Everson. While at that time several bachelors had settled in the vicinity of the old crossing, but two white families had located in the valley above the present town of Lynden, and the only means of getting supplies to the settlement was by  Indian canoes up the river. This required making two long portages around huge log jams which blocked the river channel. With loaded canoes it took the Indians four to six days to make the round trip. During 1876 the settlers at the crossing, joined by a few, located along the old trail near Ten Mile creek, undertook the opening of the old Carabou trail so as to make it passable for wagon travel. This was accomplished by enterprising citizens at the bay contributing provisions, and the settlers camping by the roadside put in long hours until a narrow winding wagon road was opened through the forest from the crossing to the bay. Thus, during the fall of 1876, the first wagon road leading back from Bellingham bay to the Nooksack river was opened for travel, and the first teams which went over the road were hauling freight for Moultray's store at the crossing, which he conducted until 1887, when it was destroyed by fire. It was during the latter part of the '70s and the early '80s that the upper Nooksack valley was settled by homesteaders. To meet the growing demands for transportation it became necessary for Moultray to keep teams, pack and saddle horses at the bay, and so during the early '80s in company with one Jerry Lockwood, he built and operated the first livery barn in the town of Whatcom. It was located on the tide flats at the foot of E street. After the fire in the Moultray store he disposed of his interest in the livery barn and turned his attention to hop farming; but later, as the Seattle Lake Shore and International, now the Northern Pacific Railroad, and the Bellingham Bay and British Columbia, now the Milwaukee Railroad, were building their lines through the Nooksack valley to Sumas, he went into real estate with Michael J. Heney, one of the characters described by Rex Beach in the "Iron Trail." They laid out the townsite of Nooksack city, where they erected a magnificent hotel and store buildings; also with Morris McCarty, then county treasurer, laid out an eighty acre addition to Sumas city. This was during the good old boom days of 1889-90. During 1891 the boom suddenly disappeared, leaving the city builders rich in experience only. Then in company with C. S. Kale, also a pioneer of the crossing, Mr. Moultray went into the shingle mill business at Nooksack, again pioneering, for at that time the red cedar shingle had not been introduced beyond the local markets, which, being limited, they were forced to find outside markets for their products; so Mr. Moultray spent the season of 1892 introducing the red cedar shingle in the middle west. Later he bought the Kale interest and moved the mill near his timber supply, three miles south, where he built and operated a larger plant until the timber belt was cut out in 1903. Again turing to real estate, he operated in Bellingham, demonstrating his faith in the town by buying and improving business properties.

    While leading a busy life Mr. Moultray has always found time to devote to civic and political affairs. When the territory of Washington was admitted as a state in 1899 {1889}, he was elected a member of the first state legislature, serving as chairman of the road and highway committee during the five months' session, when a solid foundation was laid for a great state.

    In 1902 he was again elected a member of the state legislature, serving in the senate during the sessions of 1903 and 1905. It was during the latter session that  a bill to dispose of the old university ten acre tract of land in Seattle was introduced. This tract was then out from the business section and its value somewhat speculative. The bill for its sale had the support  of the university regents and faculty and also the King county members of the legislature, as well as the moral support of the other state institutions of higher education, and it seemed that if the measure were brought to a final vote it was sure to pass; but after being introduced it was referred to the educational committee of which Mr. Moultray was chairman. This committee, having faith in the future development of the state and in Seattle as its commercial center, considered disposing of the property a grave mistake. They delayed a report on the bill and by holding it in committee finally effected a compromise which saved to the University of Washington these ten acres of land, which at present is the business center of a great city.

    In 1877 Mr. Moultray was united in marriage to Miss Lizzie Walker, a daughter of W. L. and Hannah Walker, who were pioneers of the Nooksack valley, having settled at the crossing in 1874. They reared a family of six children, three boys and three girls.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 542-545


Mounter, B. V.; M.D.

    Dr. B. V. Mounter has long been rated as one of Lynden's foremost physicians and owes his success to very thorough and comprehensive training for his profession, as well as a natural aptitude for the work. A native of England, he was born at St. Anstell, September 25, 1878, and was but a year old when his parents, Robert and Clara Mounter, settled in Nevada City, California. His father was identified with mining operations in that region for many years and is now a resident of Jackson, California.

    Dr. Mounter supplemented his public school education by a course in Valparaiso University of Indiana, from which he won the B. S. degree in 1903. He afterward attended the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated in 1909 with the M. D. degree, and during his senior year he was an interne in one of the hospitals of Ann Arbor. He returned to the west, locating in King county, Washington, and in February, 1910, opened an office in Lynden. He is well versed in the science of his profession of his skill as a general practitioner has brought him many patients. He is accurate in diagnosis and utilizes the most effective remedial agents.

    In 1907 Dr. Mounter married Miss Grayce Gertrude Hulburd, a native of New York, and they have two daughters, Katherine Margaret and Rebecca Ann. Dr. Mounter is a thirty-second Mason and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine. He is also connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and gives his political support to the candidate whom he considers best qualified for office irrespective of party ties. He is an able, progressive and highly esteemed representative of his profession and belongs to the Whatcom County and Washington State Medical Societies and the Pacific Northwest and American Medical Associations.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 187-188


Muenscher, Frank

    Among the thrifty, industrious and highly respected Germans who cast their lot with the people of Whatcom county in its period of rapid development and have since prospered by their earnest industry and the application of sound business principles is Frank Muenscher, a distinctive type of the successful self-made man. He has shown himself to be a man of strong and alert mentality, deeply interested in everything pertaining to the advancement of the community along material lines, and today is recognized as one of the representative residents of the county.

    Mr. Muenscher was born in Hessen-Cassel, Germany, in 1860, and is a son of George and Anna E. (Hartman) Muenscher, who also were natives of that country, where both died. The father, who was a farmer by vocation, made one trip to the United States, making an extended visit with out subject while the latter was living in Iowa. Frank Muenscher received a practical education in the public schools of his native land, and he served two full periods of two years each in the national army. He then became a railroad operator, being employed in that line of work until about 1890, when he engaged in contracting, which commanded his attention for a few years.

    In 1893 Mr. Muenscher immigrated to the United states and located in Iowa, where he was employed at farm work for two years, after which he rented four hundred acres of land and farmed on his own account until 1899. He then came to Whatcom county and bought one hundred and twenty acres of land on the Hannegan road, in Ten Mile township. Some of the timber had been cut but not hauled off, and a vast amount of work was entailed in the preparation of the ground for cultivation, but eventually this was accomplished and much of the land was drained. Mr. Muenscher erected a good set of farm buildings, and he then gave his attention mainly to dairy farming, in which through the ensuing years he was highly successful. His first check for fourteen days' milk amounted to nine dollars, but he persevered along definite lines of action, and by 1918 he had achieved a position where he felt he could retire from active farm life and take things more leisurely. He and his wife then spent six months in traveling through California and Mexico, after which they made their home in Bellingham for two years.

    However, Mr. Muenscher found that a life of idleness did not satisfy him, so he traded his town property for sixty acres of land, where he now lives, and to the improvement of this place he has devoted his efforts, although not with the same vital incentive that urged him on in his initial efforts in this county. He now has about twenty acres of the land cleared and has made many substantial improvements in the buildings. He and his wife are making preparations for a trip to Germany, Holland, Belgium and Austria, which will take about a year, and they will then settle down on their new farm, where he is  at present giving his attention largely to dairying, fruit raising and potatoes, with a few chickens as a side line. The original homestead now belongs to his sons.    

    In 1890 Mr. Muenscher was married to Miss Anna Hilgenberg, who also was born in Hessen-Cassel, Germany, a daughter of Conrad and Augusta (Gerhold) Hilgenberg, the former of whom was a farmer and a butcher, and both of whom died in their native land. To Mr. and Mrs. Muenscher have been born three children: Dr. Walter C., who is a veteran of the World war, with a record of ten months of service, was graduated from the State Agricultural College, at Pullman, Washington, and from the University of Nebraska, where he specialized in agriculture and botany, and he is now professor of botany in Cornell University, at Ithaca, New York. He was married to Miss Minnie Worthen, who was born and reared at Lynden, Whatcom county, and they have three children, Elizabeth, Frank and Helen. Fritz, who lives on the old homestead, spent one full year in service at Spruce Camp, Oregon, subsequently receiving an honorable discharge. He was married to Miss Neldia Hallman and they have one child, Bernita. Carl, who also lives on the home farm, was married to Miss Irene Hallman, and they have four children, Louise, Eleanor, Margie and Carl.

    Mr. Muenscher has been an active factor in the development of this section of Whatcom county, having come here in the formative period, when roads were few in number and most of them almost impassable a large part of the time; when a full day was required to go to and return from Bellingham, where they did their trading; when wild animals, such as bears, deer and cougars, roamed the surrounding forests; and when much of the finest timber had to be burned in order to get the land cleared, as it was next to impossible to get the logs and shingle bolts to market. Today there is a marked contrast to those early conditions, and Whatcom county ranks with the most advanced sections of the commonwealth. Mr. Muenscher did a great deal of free road work when he first came here and in various ways contributed to the best of his ability in the development and upbuilding of the locality. He rendered effective service as a member of the township board for nine years prior to his removal to Bellingham and also served for one year as a member of the school board of the Ten Mile district. He was one of the early members of the Ten Mile Grange and was its treasurer for many years. His activities added not only to his individual prosperity but to the welfare of his community as well, and he is a member of that worthy band of pioneers to whom the county is largely indebted for its development and progress.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 59-60


Mullen, Gordon W.

    Gordon W. Mullen is one of Bellingham's progressive realtors and a self-made man who owes his rise in the business world to the substantial qualities of diligence and perseverance. A native of Canada, he was born in the province of Nova Scotia, June 5, 1880, and is a son of Stillman and Louise Mullen. His father followed the trade of a carpenter for many years and still resides in the Dominion.

    Gordon W. Mullen was educated in the public schools of his native land and in 1902, when a young man of twenty-two years, made his way to Seattle, Washington. He worked first in the lumber woods, later on street cars, and for eight years was a patrolman. On the expiration of that period he returned to Canada and entered a homestead in the province of Alberta. There he spent ten years, bringing his land to a high state of development, and in its cultivation utilized modern, scientific methods. In 1922 he returned to Washington, locating in Bellingham, and in association with Raymond A. Nienaber entered the real estate field. In the same year they were joined by John Connell, and the partnership was successfully continued until the last of the year 1925, when Mr. Mullen sold out his interest in the real estate business, buying the corner lot at Alabama and Lincoln and building a grocery store and service station which he operates personally.

    In January, 1905, Mr. Mullen married Miss Margaret McLeod, of Green Bay, Wisconsin, a graduate nurse, who had her training in the Chicago Hospital, and the children of this union are Alice and Evelyn. Mr. Mullen is a member of the Bellingham Real Estate Association and his fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic order and the Loyal Order of Moose. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the candidates and tenets of the republican party and during the period of his residence in Bellingham has thoroughly demonstrated his business ability and his worth as a citizen.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 241


Muller, H. A.

    H. A. Muller, of the firm of Muller & Block, proprietors of the Cascade Laundry & Dye Works at Bellingham, and one of the well known and progressive business men of that city, came to the bay country in 1919 and has never had occasion to regret the choice which turned his steps in this direction. He was born in the city of Chicago, December 11, 1881, and is a son of Charles G. and Emma L. Muller, both now deceased and the former of whom was a building contractor. Reared in Chicago, H. A. Muller was graduated from one of the high schools there and also from a business college and was for some time thereafter employed as a bookkeeper in mercantile establishments in that city. He then went to Minneapolis and after two years of clerical service there established himself in the hardware business at Duluth, where he remained for eight years, at the end of which time he closed out his affairs there and moved to the village of Bennett, Douglas county, Wisconsin, where he engaged in the general mercantile business and where he remained until 1919, when he took up his residence in Bellingham, which has since been his home.

    Upon his arrival in Bellingham Mr. Muller, in association with Robert F. Block, bought the Cascade Laundry & Dye Works at No. 300 Lottie street, a consolidation of several local laundries effected in 1916, and the industry has since been carried on under the firm name of Muller & Block, though retaining the old trade name "Cascade." This concern occupies a building fifty by ninety feet in ground dimension, with a full basement, and is equipped in thoroughly up-to-date fashion. Thirty or more persons are employed in the establishment and four service wagons are used in the local trade.

    In 1914, during the time of his residence in Duluth, Mr. Muller was united in marriage to Miss Rose Block, a daughter of Albert F. Block of that city, and they have two children: Harvey A., Jr., and Hazel Mae. Mr. and Mrs. Muller are republicans and have ever taken an interested part in civic affairs, as well as in the general social activities of the community. Mr. Muller is a member of the Kiwanis Club, and since becoming a resident of Bellingham he has exercised his energies earnestly and wholeheartedly in behalf of all movements dealing with the extension of the general interests of his community. He is a Royal Arch Mason and is also affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 938-939


Mundell, G. F.

    After many vicissitudes of fortune and residence in many places, G. F. Mundell finally decided that Whatcom county afforded the best inducements for permanent settlement, and for about twenty-five years he has been numbered among its active and enterprising citizens, earning the respect and esteem of all who know him. He was born in Iowa in 1869 and is a son of James A. and Elizabeth (Dorman) Mundell, the latter of whom was a native of Connecticut. James A. Mundell was born in Pennsylvania, whence he moved to Iowa, and then to Louisiana, where he remained about ten months, moving next to Texas, where he remained until 1887. In that year he came to Whatcom county and in the following January located in Lynden, where he bought four hundred and forty acres of land, comprising the old James Walker place. The land was rough and was approached only by a trail. They went from Whatcom to Lynden up the Nooksack river on the boat Edith, which required six days and nights to make the trip. Mr. Mundell did a good deal of clearing on his land, but in 1890 he sold the place and went to Lynden, where he remained about six months. He then went to Oregon and later to California, where he remained a short time. He next went to Kansas but later returned to Texas, where he lived for a time, eventually going to New Mexico, where his death occurred. His wife having died in Texas.

    G. F. Mundell remained in Whatcom county until 1891, working in the woods and mills, and then went to Silverdale, Washington, where he remained a short time, going from there to Kansas, and then to Texas, where he remained twenty-two months. The climate there was too warm to suit him, and he returned to Lynden, where he remained four or five years, engaged in logging, after which he went to Ventura county, California, to which locality his father had moved the year previous. He remained in California two years, raising one good crop of lima beans, and then moved to La Porte, Texas, where he remained two years. He then started in a covered wagon for New Mexico, but on the way he had an attack of chills, so he sold the wagon and again came to Lynden, where he went to work in the mills and at logging. In 1902 he went to New Mexico, where he bought a homestead right, and remained there about two and a half years, at the end of which time he sold the homestead right and returned to Lynden, locating in the village, where he remained until moving to Ten Mile. In 1910 he came to his present farm of forty acres in Lynden township, to the clearing and improvement of which he has devoted himself until it is now one of the most desirable in that locality. When he bought the land it was covered with timber and brush, but he now has fourteen acres cleared, the remainder being in pasture.  He gives considerable attention to dairying, keeping six good grade milk cows, and has been very successful. He has made many good improvements on the place and has a very comfortable and attractive home.

    In 1891 Mr. Mundell was married to Miss Florence May Stafford, who was born at La Crosse, Wisconsin, a daughter of Joseph and Georgella (Crosby) Stafford, the former a native of Quebec, Canada. Her mother, who was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, bore the name of Reed but was adopted by a family by the name of Crosby. The Stafford family came to Whatcom county in 1886 and here the parents spent their remaining years, both being now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Mundell have been born seven children, namely: Leroy, who died in Texas at the age of three years; Ruth, who is the wife of Charles Holmes, of Bellingham, and the mother of two children; Armand, who died in Lynden at the age of four years; Albert, who is married and lives in Lynden; Gertrude, who died at the age of six months; Emma, who is the wife of James Fischer, of Silver Beach, Washington; and Leona M., who remains at home. With the exception of Albert, all the children were born in Whatcom county. Mr. Mundell is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and of the Grange. He is keenly alive to everything affecting the welfare of the community and stands on the right side of every moral issue. Because of his fine personal qualities and genial disposition, he has long enjoyed the confidence and good will of all who know him.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 930-931


Munn, Allen; Dr.

    Dr. Allen Munn, osteopathic practitioner at Bellingham, has been a resident of this county for the past twenty years and is one of the best known physicians in his school of practice in the state. He was born on a farm in the immediate vicinity of the city of Kirksville in Adair county, Missouri, May 29, 1858, and is a son of John and Amanda Jane (Knox) Munn, the farmer of whom was born in Ohio and the latter in Kentucky. John Munn, a substantial farmer, lived to the great age of ninety-six years. Both parents are now deceased.

    Reared on the home farm, Allen Munn received his education in the public schools of the community and grew up a practical farmer, a line of activity which he followed until he was past forty years of age, when he became greatly interested in the theory and practice of the osteopathic school of healing. After preliminary study along this line he entered the Still College of Osteopathy at Kirksville, Missouri, and early in 1906 was graduated from that institution. Upon received his diploma Dr. Munn determined to enter practice in Bellingham and straightaway came here, arriving on March 7 of that year. He has ever since been a resident of this city, carrying on his professional practice, with present offices in the First National Bank building, and has done well.

    On May 20, 1888, Allen Munn was united in marriage to Miss Willie Bell Knox, also of Missouri, and they have a daughter, Bessie, who became the wife of Thomas Nash of Bellingham. Dr. and Mrs. Munn are republicans and ever since taking up their residence in Bellingham have given their earnest attention to the general civic affairs of the city and county.s The doctor is a member of the local lodge of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 627


Musser, Mrs. Ella V. (Swiger)

    Mrs. Ella V. Musser enjoys the distinction of having established the first art shop at Bellingham, and she has conducted it most successfully since the 1st of December, 1922, under the name of the Noveau Art Shop. She is a native daughter of Whatcom county, Washington, born at Lynden, her parents being Jeremiah and Lodisa Jane Swiger, who were born in West Virginia and Tennessee, respectively. The father removed westward to this state in 1880 and after spending about a year in Seattle settled in the vicinity of Lynden, where he took up a homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres. The farm remained in his possession for many years and he was actively engaged in its cultivation until 1895, when he took up his abode at Bellingham, where he departed this life on the 5th of August 1924. For six years he had survived his wife, who passed away in January, 1918. Five children were born to them and they also reared an adopted child.

    Ella V. Swiger acquired her education at Bellingham, where she has resided since girlhood days. In 1908 she was married to Home Knox Musser, and they became the parents of a son and a daughter: John Knox Musser, who is a student in St. Martin's College at Lacy; and Betty Lois Arlene, who is attending the State Normal School at Bellingham.

    It was on the 1st of December, 1922, as above stated, that Mrs. Musser opened the Noveau Art Shop at Bellingham, and since that time she has developed an extensive and gratifying patronage as a dealer in art goods. Her establishment is very attractively and tastefully furnished. She makes a specialty of imported art work. French novelty work, antiques, Oriental goods, domestic and imported pictures and picture framing. As sole proprietor of the shop, she has gained a well deserved measure of success and its conduct.    

    Mrs. Musser is a republican in her political views and a Presbyterian in religious faith. She has membership in the Business and Professional Women's Club and in the Bellingham Country Club and has made many friends in the community which has always been her home.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 912-913


Mutchler, R. E.

    A review of the life of R. E. Mutchler must of necessity be brief and general in its character, for to enter fully into the details of his career would far transcend the limits of this article. However, sufficient is presented, we believe, to prove him entitled to the high place which he now holds in the confidence and regard of his fellow citizens.

    Mr. Mutchler was born in Kokomo, Indiana, in 1875, and is a son of C. and Phoebe (Pierce) Mutchler, the latter of whom was a native of Illinois. The father was born near Baden, Germany, received a good education in the public schools of his native land and when about eighteen years of age came to the United States. He received a pass from the government permitting him temporary absence from the country, on the condition that he return for the prescribed military service, but he did not avail himself of the latter privilege. He first located in Pennsylvania, where he remained for a few years, and then, after his marriage, he went to Indiana, locating at Kokomo, where he remained about two years. He then returned to Illinois, locating south of Aurora, where he lived until 1883, when he went to Plymouth county, Iowa, remaining there until 1892. In the later year Mr. Mutchler came to Lynden township, Whatcom county, and bought twelve acres of land, which required a large amount of work to prepare for cultivation, as it was densely incumbered with timber and brush. He succeeded in clearing all of it and developed a good farm, living there until 1910, when he went to Arizona and homesteaded a farm, on which he lived for three years. He then spent a year visiting, going to California, then to Illinois and finally back to Lynden, after which he went to Flathead county, Montana, where he remained until the fall of 1924, spending the ensuing winter in Arizona. He then came back to Lynden to spend the summer, but his death occurred at the home of his son, the subject of this sketch, May 3, 1925. His widow is still living with her son. She is woman of splendid personal qualities and is greatly liked by all who know her.

    R. E. Mutchler received a general education in the public schools of Illinois and Iowa, which he afterward supplemented by a commercial course in Wilson's Business College at Lynden. He then turned his attention to the home farm, assisting his father for a time, and also worked out for about three years. In 1899 he bought his present place of sixty acres. Only a few acres were cleared, and he applied himself to clearing the remainder of the land. He now has about fifty acres cleared and in shape for cultivation, and he is giving his attention mainly to dairying, keeping fourteen good cows and a registered sire. He also keeps a fine flock of laying hens. His fertile fields produce fine crops of hay and grain, and he sells some of the former, also marketing a good deal of fruit, chiefly apples, pears and berries. He has made several splendid improvements on the ranch, including a good house, a substantial barn and other necessary farm buildings, which have added materially to the value and attractiveness of the place. His family at one time owned the Guide Meridian ferry, which they operated for a number of years.

    On November 30, 1899, Mr. Mutchler was married to Miss Lydia A. Tremaine, who was born and reared in Illinois, a daughter of J. W. and Ellen (Davis) Tremaine. The former, a native of Illinois, died in January, 1922, while the latter had died when her daughter, Mrs. Mutchler, was but a child. J. W. Tremaine was one of the honored old pioneers of this county, having come here in the late '80s, and he was universally respected. To Mr. and Mrs. Mutchler have been born four children, namely: Ella, who is the wife of Harry Beernink, of Lynden, and has two children; Walter, who lives in Bellingham; Mazie, who is the wife of J. B. Oltman, of Lynden, and is the mother of one child; and Ralph, who remains at home and is attending high school.

    Mr. Mutchler has always been a public-spirited man and has shown a commendable interest in the civic affairs of his locality. He served as a school director and clerk of the school board for seven consecutive years, and later he served as a member of the school board and also as clerk of the board at a time when the two offices were separated. Those who know Mr. Mutchler best will readily acquiesce in the statement that many elements of a solid and practical nature are united in his composition, and he has gained the universal respect and consideration of his fellow citizens throughout this section of the county, where his genuine worth is fully appreciated.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 51-52


Myers, J. A.

    J. A. Myers, who is now living on one of the fine farms in the Ten Mile district of Whatcom county, has lived to see this locality developed from a primeval forest, inhabited by wild animals and a few pioneer settlers, to its present magnificent prosperity, excellent home, fertile farms and thriving towns, and in this wonderful transformation he has played no small part.

    Mr. Myers was born October 14, 1879, in King county, Washington, and is a son of W. M. and Carrie (Titus) Myers. His father was born in Iowa in 1846 and in young manhood made the long trip across the plains by ox team to California. He was married in Seattle, March 22, 1874, his wife being a daughter of J. H. Titus, who was also a pioneer of California, having come by way of Cape Horn in the days of the gold rush.

    W. M. Myers drove a horse team from California to Washington territory for Mr. Titus in the early '70s. He remained in Seattle, or near there, until 1887, and during his early years there he followed market gardening, peddling his produce all over the city. He then went to Kent, near Seattle, where he followed the dual occupations of farming and carpentering, and during that period he also ran a ferry across the White River. In 1888 he brought his family to the present farm, having bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, practically none of which had been cleared. The first building which they erected was a combined house and barn, both being under one roof. They entered immediately upon the task of clearing the land and putting it into cultivation, and in the process of getting rid of the timber many magnificent logs were necessarily burned, as they had no other way of disposing of them. When the ground was ready for the plow, they engaged in general farming, raising hay, grain, vegetables and fruit, as well as hogs and chickens, and when the roads were improved they also sold many cords of cedar logs and shingle bolts. He was also the first man to deliver winter eggs in Bellingham.

    Mr. Myers took an active interest in local public affairs, serving for many years as a member of the school board, and in his early years in this state he rendered effective service as deputy sheriff of King county. He contributed freely of his time and labor in the building of early roads and in every possible way cooperated in all movements for the improvement of local conditions. During the Civil war he enlisted for service, joining the California troops, with which he was sent into Arizona during the Indian troubles there. He was a man of splendid character and no one in this section of the county stood higher in the esteem and confidence of the people generally. His death occurred May 12, 1912, and that of his wife, April 12, 1893.

    J. A. Myers secured the major portion of his education in the old log school at Ten Mile, which was furnished in true pioneer style, with split log benches and crude desks, but the lessons were well taught and learned. This training has been liberally supplemented through the subsequent years by much close reading and habits of keen observation, so that today Mr. Myers is a well informed man on a wide range of subjects. He was reared on the home farm and at the time of his marriage his father gave him one-half of his interest in the place, the remainder coming to him on the father's death. He is now the owner of eighty acres of splendid land, about sixty-five acres of which are cleared. In all, about one hundred acres of the original one hundred and sixty acres are cleared. Mr. Myers is giving considerable attention to the dairy business, keeping fifteen good milk cows, thirty head of cattle altogether, most of them being registered Holsteins. His fields are well cultivated and he neglects no phase of his farm work, being up-to-date and progressive in all his operations.

    On July 19, 1911, Mr. Myers was married to Miss Hannah Seiness, who was born in Norway, a daughter of H. P. and Louise (Christiansen) Seiness, also natives of that country. They came to the United States when Mrs. Myers was two years old, settling in Minnesota. In 1903 they came to Whatcom county, and the father is now living in Bellingham, the mother having passed away in 1920. Mrs. Myers likewise received her educational training in the old Ten Mile school that Mr. Myers attended, and she has been an interested spectator of the development of this locality. They are the parents of four children, Louise, Esther, Howard and Ethel, all of whom are now attending the Ten Mile school.

    Mr. Myers has long been influential in local public affairs, having served for a number of years as a member of the school board, and he is at the present time a member of the board of supervisors. He has earned a reputation as an enterprising, progressive man of affairs, and he is eminently deserving of the material success which is crowing his well directed efforts.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 21-22


Myers, J. W.

    Early in life J. W. Myers realized the fact that success never comes to the idler or dreamer. He has accordingly devoted himself to honest toil along lines that have brought him a very satisfactory measure of success, and today no one in the community stands higher in the esteem of his fellow citizens than he. Mr. Myers is a native of Tennessee, his birth occurring on the 23d of July, 1866, and he is a son of John and Margaret (Bird) Myers, both of whom were born and reared in Blunt county, Tennessee, and both of whom are now deceased. The father followed the vocation of farming and was a man of high character and enviable standing in his community. To him and his wife were born fifteen children, as follows: Mary C., William B., J. W., Susie J., Rhoda A., Sydney A., Mattie W., Rachel E., Minnie W., deceased, Sarah J., John A. and Margaret A., twins, Joseph J., Rufus S., and Clara, who died in infancy.

    J. W. Myers received a splendid education, supplementing his public school course by attendance at Maryville College, at Maryville, Tennessee. He then spent a year in Indiana and a year in North Carolina, working in the woods, and in 1889 he came to Winlock, Washington, where he remained a few months. In the fall of 1889 he came to Fairhaven, Whatcom county, and took a contract for clearing the land where the normal school now stands, after which he came to the Nooksack valley and followed the same line of work for a few years. In 1895 he bought forty acres of land two miles south of Sumas, and at once set himself to the task of removing the stumps and brush with which it was covered. Later Mr. Myers added eighty acres to his original tract but afterward sold thirty acres, so that he now has ninety acres of good land, about half of which is cleared. His principal crops are hay, oats and peas. He also keeps some good grade cows and has been very successful as a dairy farmer. He has made a number of splendid improvements on his place, which is numbered among the valuable farms of the locality.

    On November 30, 1893, Mr. Myers was married to Miss Alice A. Thallheimer, who was born at Olympia, Washington, a daughter of Socrates and Esther (Rupe) Thallheimer, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Iowa. Mr. Thallheimer, who was a veteran of the Civil war, died in 1921, and is survived by his widow. He had come to Washington in 1873, locating on the Black river, twenty miles south of Olympia, where he took up a homestead, and he moved to Whatcom county in 1883. To his and his wife were born four children: Lawson S., Alice A. (Mrs. Myers), Raymond and Robert. Mr. and Mrs. Myers are the parents of three children, namely: Margaret E., who was graduated from the Sumas high school, the State Normal School at Bellingham and the Washington State University at Seattle and has received her Master's degree in science at the University of Washington; Dicie M., who was graduated from the Sumas high school, the State Normal School at Bellingham and the University of Washington, and is now connected with the business administration of the Marshall Field store, in Chicago, Illinois; and Glen B., who was born in Idaho and who is now a student in the Sumas high school. Mr. Myers is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He has been actively interested in everything pertaining to the welfare of his community and rendered efficient service as township supervisor for one and a half terms. He is a strong and persistent advocate of good schools and improved highways and has exerted a beneficent influence throughout his community, where he is held in the highest regard by his fellow citizens, who appreciate his worth as a man and a citizen.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 269-270


Myers, Samuel J.

    Samuel J. Myers, proprietor of a well established and well equipped plumbing and heating establishment at Bellingham and one of the best known citizens of that city, has been a resident thereof for more than twenty years. He was born in Seneca county, Ohio, in 1877, a son of Franklin and Martha (Hoover) Myers, both of whom also were born in the old Buckeye state, members of pioneer families there, the Myerses and the Hoovers having moved from Pennsylvania to Ohio in an early day. Both of Mr. Myers' parents are now deceased. His father was a farmer, and he was reared to farming, but upon starting out on his own account he chose the machinist's trade and became a competent machinist. For three years or more he worked at that trade and then took up the allied trade of plumbing and steam fitting, and his attention has ever since been devoted to this line. In 1904 Mr. Myers became a resident of Bellingham, and he has long been recognized as one of the veteran plumbers and steam fitters in this section of the state. On June 1, 1924, he opened his present plumbing and heating establishment at No. 1311 Railroad avenue, buying there the two-story building occupying a ground space of twenty-five by one hundred feet, and equipped it with a complete plant of up-to-date machinery and appliances. He has since been engaged in business at that site, with a competent staff of operatives, and is in a position to take care of any calls made in his line throughout this section.

    In 1901 Mr. Myers was united in marriage to Miss Bessie D. McClelland, who also was born in Ohio, and they have four children: Robert and Franklin Myers, who are associated with their father in the plumbing and heating business; Marie, who married Henry O. Hawkins of Bellingham and has a son; and Mrs. Ida Montgomery, who is now living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Robert Myers married Miss Helen Knutsen of Bellingham and makes his home in that city. Samuel J. Myers is a member of the Optimists Club and is affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Modern Woodmen of America.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 931


 

 BACK-- HOME

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site
©Genealogy Trails