Nolte, Ernest C.
Among the successful farmers and dairymen of Whatcom county none takes precedence over Ernest C. Nolte, who is managing and operating his splendid farm south of Everson. He has demonstrated his eminent fitness and aptitude for the work to which he is applying himself and has gained a high reputation among his fellow citizens in that community.
Mr. Nolte was born in Bellingham in 1897 and is a son of George and N. F. (Adamson) Nolte, further reference to whom is made in the sketch of Charles F. Nolte, which appears elsewhere in this work. After receiving a practical education in the public schools at Bellingham, Ernest C. Nolte came to his present farm in 1916, and he has since devoted his every energy to it. The farm comprises one hundred and thirty-six acres, over half of which is cleared, while the remainder is largely devoted to pasturage. The place is splendidly improved, containing good farm buildings, and the fertile and well cultivated fields produce good crops of hay and grain. Mr. Nolte has about thirty-five head of high grade Holstein cattle and a registered sire, the grade of the stock being constantly improved, the purpose being eventually to have purebred cows only. Up-to-date methods of operation are employed, including milking machines, and the farm in so managed as to attain maximum results with a minimum amount of labor and expense.
In 1918 Mr. Nolte was married to Miss Eva Pritts, who was born in Whatcom, a member of one of the county's old and prominent families, her parents being W. B. and Lulu Maple (Sefton) Pritts. Her father was born in Pennsylvania and was there reared to the life of a farmer. At an early day he came to Washington with his father, who homesteaded a tract of land in Skagit county. Mr. Pritts came to his present farm in Nooksack township about twenty-three years ago. His wife was born in Illinois and in early life was brought to Whatcom county by her parents, her marriage to Mr. Pritts occurring in Nooksack. To Mr. and Mrs. Nolte has been born a son, Ernest E.
Ernest C. Nolte has proven himself a good citizen in the best sense of the term, for he has not only been successful in his individual affairs but has also cooperated with his fellow citizens in all local efforts to advance the interests of the community. A man of splendid character and forceful personality, he has so ordered his actions as to win a high place in the esteem and confidence of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 109-110
Nolte, Charles F.; Hon.
The fruits of victory are for those who dare. Possessing a courageous spirit and the equally essential qualities of enterprise and perseverance, Hon. Charles F. Nolte has converted his opportunities into tangible assets, becoming recognized as one of Bellingham's leading business men and financiers, while he is also an able member of the state legislature.
Mr. Nolte was reared on his father's ranch and attended the public schools. He came to Bellingham in December, 1889, and engaged in the meat business in partnership with his brother. They conducted the market for fifteen years and have since been active in the field of real estate as members of the firm of Nolte Brothers. They handle their own properties and operate on a large scale, doing much to improve the city and exploit its advantages. In 1903 they entered the lumber industry, organizing the Mogul Logging Company, of which George Nolte became president, while Charles F. Nolte assumed the duties of secretary and treasurer. In August, 1904, they formed the Clearbrook Lumber Company, with the same officers, and in the same year C. F. Nolte was one of twelve who organized the Bellingham National Bank, of which he has since been vice president and one of the directors.
Mr. Nolte was married September 25, 1896, in Bellingham, to Miss Minnie A. Brownson. They are members of the Episcopal church, and Mr. Nolte is a republican in his political views. He served for two terms on the city council and is now representing his district in the state legislature. His interest in the welfare and progress of his city is deep and sincere, and for five years he was president of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce, retiring in March 1917, while he has also served on the board of trustees of St. Luke's Hospital. He is a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner and has taken the thirty-second degree in that order. He also belongs to the Elks lodge and the Country Club. Mr. Nolte is a board-gauged man of proven worth and ability and occupies a central place on the stage of activity in Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 928
Nordby, J. E.
J. E. Nordby is too well known in his section of Whatcom county to need formal introduction to the readers of this work. Eminently a self-made man, honestly earning every dollar in his possession, he ranks with the most enterprising and successful of his compeers and has won a name and reputation which place him among the leading citizens of his community. Mr. Nordby was born in Norway on the 27th day of January, 1867, and is a son of Evan and Maren (Guldbrasen) Nordby, who were born and reared in Norway. The family came to the United States in 1883, settling at Park River, North Dakota, where the father homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land and also preempted a like amount, and to the cultivation of this land he devoted the remainder of his active life, his death occurring there about 1909. The mother died in 1895. They were the parents of seven children, Guldbren, Martinus, Eleasa, Marie, Evan, J. E. and Mauritz.
J. E. Nordby received his education in the public schools of his native land and remained at home until the removal of the family to the United States. On his arrival in North Dakota he rented a ranch, to the operation of which he devoted his time until 1887, when he went to the Big Bend, Washington, where in the spring of 1888, he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres and bought eighty acres more. He planted this land to wheat until 1903, when he sold out and went to Douglas county, Washington, where he bought a stock ranch, which he conducted until 1911, when he sold it. He then came to Whatcom county and bought eighty acres near Ferndale, which he kept about a year and then sold, buying eighty five and a half acres two and a half miles northeast of Ferndale. The greater part of the land was cleared, in addition to which he cleared twenty acres more, and he now has about sixty-five acres in cultivation, raising diversified crops, principally hay and grain. He also has a nice two-acre orchard of bearing trees, and keeps twenty-one good grade milk cows of the Holstein breed. He is a wide-awake, energetic farmer, thoroughly understands his business, and is being rewarded with a gratifying measure of prosperity. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. In 1920 Mr. Nordby bought twenty acres of land one mile northeast of Ferndale, on which, in 1922, he built a fine modern house, with all conveniences and attractive in appearance, and there he and his wife and youngest child now live.
On December 20, 1894, Mr. Nordby was married to Miss Clara Martin, who was born in Minnesota July 20, 1879, the daughter of Peter and Aleta Martin, both of whom were natives of Norway, whence they came to this country, settling in Minnesota. Mr. and Mrs. Nordby are the parents of seven children: Martha, born March 31, 1897, died December 14, 1903; Evan, born July 6, 1899, was married, September 20, 1923, to Miss Ellen Burke; George, born June 15, 1901, was married, January 3, 1923, to Miss Trulah Morgan; Lewis, born March 30, 1904, was married, June 27, 1923, to Miss Ella Byers, and is now living on his father's large ranch, which he has leased; Thelma, born October 4, 1907; Kaspar, born August 14, 1911; and Clara, February 3, 1915, are in school. Personally Mr. Nordby is a man of excellent character and has long been recognized as a man of sound business judgment and sound discretion. Because of his success, and his friendliness, he ha won and retains the confidence and regard of all fellow citizens who have come in contact with him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 557-558
In all that constitutes true manhood and good citizenship, the subject of this sketch, one of the best known and most substantial of Whatcom county's farmers, is a notable example, and none stands higher that he in the confidence and esteem of the community honored by his citizenship. His career has been characterized by duty faithfully done, and by industry, thrift and wisely directed efforts he has acquired a liberal share of this world's goods, being now able to enjoy a richly earned retirement from active business. Charles Norderum was born in Norway in 1850 and is a son of T. and Carrie Norderum, both of whom also were natives of that country. In 1860 they emigrated to the United States, locating in Minnesota, where the father entered a homestead about thirty miles from LaCrosse, and there he and his wife spent their remaining days. Our subject attended a school near Christiania, Norway, and completed his studies in the public schools of Minnesota. He remained with his father until he was about seventeen years of age, when he bought a tract of government land in Minnesota, on which he lived for a number of years, after which for a few years he was in South Dakota.
About 1890 Mr. Norderum came to Whatcom county, stopping in Bellingham for a year or two, after which he went to Lynden and bought twenty acres of land. This he later traded for a forty acre tract near his present place, and which at that time was covered with timber. At the time he left that place, five or six years afterward, he had most of the tract cleared. On leaving that farm he came to his present place, consisting of forty acres of fine land, but which at that time was uncleared. During the years that he has lived here he has cleared the land and brought it up to a high state of cultivation, raising abundant crops. At the time of his arrival there was but little settlement in this community, and the only highway to Lynden was a crooked trail. There is today not a person living between here and Everson who was here when he came. Hay and grain raising demanded the major part of his attention during his first years here, but he later turned his attention largely to dairy farming, which he conducted with success until about 1919, when he rented the farm to his son Charles and is now practically retired. The latter is carrying on the dairy business, keeping fifteen good grade milk cows and shipping the milk to Everson. He raises his own feed and roughage, and also raises good crops of potatoes, beans and berries. The farm is well improved and presents a marked contrast to its condition when our subject first came to it. Then it was surrounded by a veritable wilderness, and conditions were so primitive and wild that on occasion he shot deer from his doorstep.
In 1869 Mr. Norderum was married to Miss Mary E. Ottestad, who was born in Norway and came to the United States with her family about 1865. She died in Nooksack in 1920. To their union were born five children: Mrs. Clara Gooding, who died in 1922, was the mother of three children. Ben, who lives in Tacoma, is married and has two children, the eldest of whom also is married and has two children. Theodore, of Nooksack township, is married. Charlie, who now rents and operates his father's farm, was married to Miss Dorothy Dougherty, a daughter of Thomas and Jessie (Terwilliger) Dougherty. The former is deceased, and his widow lives in Seattle. The youngest child, Mrs. Mary Morningstar, lives in Nooksack and is the mother of four children. To Charlie and Dorothy Norderum also has been born a child. Our subject has long held an enviable place throughout this community, for he has been a man of broad views and decided opinions, giving his earnest support to all measures designed to be of advantage to the general welfare. He is pleasant and friendly in his social relations and enjoys marked popularity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 715-716
One of the enterprising and successful business men and public-spirited citizens of Whatcom county is the gentleman whose name forms the caption to this sketch. He has been progressive and up-to-date in his methods and has long been numbered among the leading citizens of his locality. Gus Norstrom is a native of Whatcom county, born in the city of Bellingham on the 18th of December, 1884, and is a son of John E. and Johanna (Norling) Norstrom, both of whom were natives of Sweden. Their marriage occurred in Seattle, Washington, in 1882. The father, who had learned the carpenter's trade in his native land, emigrated to this country and located in Dakota territory, where he took up a homestead, to the cultivation of which he devoted himself for a time. He went to Seattle in the early '80s and in 1883 came to Whatcom county and located at Whatcom, where he established what was probably the first steam sawmill in this county, it being located on the bay end of G street. He remained there until 1890, when he moved to South Everson and located about a quarter mile from his son's present farm, the country there being covered with fine timber, which encouraged him to build a mill. He built the first viaduct in Bellingham, being the owner of a pile-driver, and did considerable contracting over a number of years. In the late '90s he moved to the place in South Everson, where he died in 1915, after a long and active life. He is survived by his widow, one daughter, Mrs. Louisa Mecklem, and the subject of this sketch, all of whom are living at South Everson.
Gus Norstrom received his educational training at the old Roeder school, and he was thereafter with his father in all his operations until the latter's death, since which time he has devoted his attention to the operation of the mill. He has a well equipped plant and turns out a general line of dimension stuff and finished lumber, for which there is a ready market, and also makes silo lumber. He thoroughly understands the handling of timber and the management of mill work and is meeting with splendid success, having gained an excellent reputation as an energetic and hustling business man.
On October 12, 1920, Mr. Norstrom was married to Miss Irene Krouse, who was born at Elk Creek, Nebraska, a daughter of Fred and Lettie (Brooks) Krouse, both of whom are still living, her father, who is a farmer, having been a former resident of Whatcom county. Fraternally Mr. Norstrom is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Woodmen of the World. He is a man of earnest life and is straightforward and candid in all his dealings, while in his social relations he is genial and friendly. He has taken a commendable interest in the public affairs of his community and supports all measurers for the betterment of the locality in any way. Because of his consistent life and his success in business, he has attained a high place in the esteem and regard of the entire community, where his worth as a man and a citizen have been recognized and appreciated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 857
North, Daniel Forester
With diligence and perseverance as outstanding qualities, Daniel Forester North has attained the goal fixed by his ambition and stands deservedly high at the bar of Bellingham, faithfully executing the many trusts reposed in him. A native of Ireland, he was born in 1878, and during his childhood his parents came with their family to the United States, establishing their home in Michigan. He attended the public schools of the Wolverine state and his classical education was received in Olivet College. He was graduated from the law department of the University of Michigan in 1906 and in the following year came to the state of Washington. He arrived in Bellingham on the 6th of March, 1907, and has since practiced in the city. His professional prestige has steadily increased and his clientele has assumed extensive proportions. He acts as attorney for the People's State Bank of Lynden, Washington, and is recognized as an authority on matters pertaining to corporation law, of which he has made a close study. In this connection he has rendered valuable public service and is now city attorney of Burlington, Washington. His clear, farseeing mind enables him readily to perceive the approach of a situation inimical to the interest of the city, and he is always prepared for an emergency, discharging his duties in a highly satisfactory manner. He was appointed deputy city attorney to fill out the unexpired term of T. D. J. Healy, who retired owing to ill health, and served as city attorney of Bellingham from 1912 until 1918. He was made city attorney of Ferndale in 1918 and filled the office for six years.
In December, 1913, Mr. North married Miss Alma Hamlin, a native of Indiana. She came to Bellingham in 1901 and for nine and a half years was a teacher in the public schools of the city. The children of this union are John W. and Vera, aged respectively six and five years. Mr. North belongs to the Twentieth Century Club and his fraternal connections are with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of the Whatcom County and Washington State Bar Associations and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He was one of the organizers of the People's State Bank of Lynden and has been an indefatigable worker in behalf of the Boy Scouts of America - an organization destined to become a great force for civic righteousness. Mr. North has ever been actuated by an unselfish spirit of devotion to the general good and combines in his character all of the qualities of a useful and desirable citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 920
Nygreen, T. W.
T. W. Nygreen is successfully engaged in business as proprietor of sheet metal works which he has conducted under his own name at Bellingham since 1919. His birth occurred at Cokato, Minnesota, on the 17th of September, 1882, his parents being John and Caroline (Pearson) Nygreen, both of whom are natives of Sweden. After crossing the Atlantic to this country they took up their abode among the early settlers of Minnesota, in which state they still make their home.
T. W. Nygreen acquired his education as a public school pupil and after putting aside his textbooks acquainted himself with sheet metal work in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He was a young man of twenty-two when in 1904 he made his way westward to Oregon, while in the following year he removed to San Francisco, California, where he opened a shop which was destroyed in the earthquake and fire of 1906. The same year he came to Bellingham, Whatcom county, Washington, where he has remained throughout the intervening period of two decades. He was successively employed by the Blake Hardware Company, the Bellingham Sheet Metal Works and the Haskell Plumbing Company and then in 1919 opened a shop of his own on Railway avenue. Later he removed to his present location at No. 1225 Bay street, where he furnishes employment to two men. Well merited success has attended his labors and has won him a place among the substantial representatives of industrial interests in his adopted city.
On the 17th of September, 1913, Mr. Nygreen was united in marriage to Miss Emily Guin of Annandale, Minnesota. They are the parents of three children: Glen, Howard and Paul. In politics Mr. Nygreen maintains an independent attitude, being convinced that the qualifications of a candidate are of more importance than his party affiliation. He belongs to the Loyal Order of Moose and the the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and he has gained an extensive circle of warm friends during the period of his residence in Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 895
Among the representative farmers of Whatcom county, August Nyman is entitles to special mention. He has devoted himself closely to the cultivation and development of his farm, having carried on his work with that discretion, foresight and energy which are sure to find their natural sequence in definite success. Having always been a hard worker, a good manager and a man of conservative habits, and being fortunately situated in a thriving new community, it is no wonder that he has gained the high place he now occupies among his fellow agriculturists, for while advancing his individual affairs he has also contributed in a very definite way to the general upbuilding of his locality. Mr. Nyman is a native of Sweden, born December 8, 1862, and is a son of Andrew and Mary (Johnson) Nyman, both of whom also were natives of Sweden. They brought their family to the United States in 1867, locating in Indiana, where the father was accidentally killed in 1872, while working in the woods. They were the parents of four children: August, the subject of this sketch; Gustav, deceased; Carl E., deceased; and Mrs. Jennie Nelson, who lives in Bellingham, Whatcom county. Some time after the death of Mr. Nyman, his widow became the wife of J. G. Johnson, and the family moved to Illinois, where they remained until 1883, when they came to Washington, Mr. Johnson homesteading one hundred and sixty acres of land in Whatcom county, which he developed into a fine place.
August Nyman received his educational training in the public schools of Illinois and accompanied the family on their removal to Washington in 1883. He located in Seattle, where he lived for about two years, and then came to Whatcom county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land. Later he relinquished this tract for a moderate consideration and returned to Seattle, where for seven years he was employed as gardner, coachman and man-of-all-work by J. M. Coleman, a prominent and wealthy man of that city. On leaving that position, Mr. Nyman again came to Whatcom county and assisted his step-father in the clearing of the latter's land and the development of the farm. After his marriage, in 1889, be bought eighty acres of the homestead, to the improvement and cultivation of which he at once devoted himself. He first built a small house of split cedar lumber and then went to work clearing the land and getting it into cultivation. He now has about forty acres cleared and raises splendid crops of grain, potatoes and hay. He also has a nice bearing orchard and keeps from seven to ten good grade Jersey and Guernsey cows. He has been indefatigable in his efforts and his labors have been with well deserved success, his farm now being numbered among the best in the locality. In 1909 Mr. Nyman built a comfortable and attractive home, while in 1911 he erected a substantial and commodious barn, and everything about the place indicates him to be a man of good judgment and excellent taste. Mr. Nyman is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has taken a commendable interest in local public affairs and served for twenty years as a member of the school board.
Mr. Nyman was married, November 27, 1889, to Miss Caroline Amelia Jacobson, a native of Denmark and a daughter of Jacob and Maria (Christian) Jensen, both of whom were also natives of Denmark. He parents are both deceased, the father dying in 1873 and the mother in 1902. They had nine children, five of whom are living: Mrs. Christian Jacobson, Mrs. Caroline Nyman, Anton E., Anna and Mrs. Jacobine Jensen. To Mr. and Mrs. Nyman have been born four children: Mrs. Cora Sennes, who was born in Seattle, September 4, 1890, has a daughter, Dorothy May, born January 28, 1921, and she now lives on forty acres of the home place, near Laurel. Lawrence A., born on the home farm May 3, 1897, lives in Stockton, California. Andrew D., born January 13, 1900, was married to May Murphy and lives in Seattle. Philip A., born March 11, 1902, and who lives in San Francisco, California, was married April 18, 1925, to Miss Esther Simon, a native of San Francisco. Mr. Nyman has performed well his part in life and it is a compliment worthily bestowed to say that the locality is honored in his citizenship, for he has achieved definite success through his own efforts.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 337-338
Nymeyer, R. B.
The qualities which have made R. B. Nymeyer one of the prominent successful residents of Delta township have also brought him the esteem of his fellowmen, for his career has been one of well directed energy, strong determination and honorable methods. It would be hard to find in this section of the county a more progressive and industrious agriculturist and dairyman than he, and his record has been such as to gain for him the unstinted praise and commendation of all who know him. Mr. Nymeyer was born in Holland, on the 10th day of April, 1866, and is a son of Berend and Anna Maria Nymeyer, also natives of the Netherlands. In 1885 the family came to the United States, locating at Hull, Sioux county, Iowa, where the father rented land, on which he successfully carried on farming operations until 1898, when he retired to a comfortable home which he had bought in Hull, and there spent his remaining years, dying in May, 1908. His wife preceded him in death a number of years, having passed away in 1891. They were the parents of six children, five of whom are now living.
R. B. Nymeyer secured his education in the public schools of his native land and in 1884, at the age of eighteen years, came to the United States, settling in Iowa. He learned the carpenter trade, in which he became an expert, and followed that occupation for sixteen years. In 1900 he came to Lynden, Whatcom county, near which place he bought twenty acres of land, partly cleared, and at once proceeded to clear the remainder and get it under cultivation. He built a house on the place and lived there four years when, in 1905, he traded that property for forty acres of land in Delta township, four miles northwest of Lynden. This was burned-over land, covered with fallen cedar timber, and this he at once proceeded to clear up and burn. He was successful in the operation of this place and in 1908 bought forty acres across the road in Lynden township, which he has also cleared, being now the owner of eighty acres of splendid and well improved land, in the operation of which he is meeting with pronounced success, being a man of industrious habits and good judgment. His main crops are hay and grain, for which the land is particularly well adapted, and he also keeps twenty good grade Holstein cows and about two hundred laying hens. In 1907 Mr. Nymeyer built a good barn and remodeled the home, while everything about the place indicates the owner to be a man of ability and discrimination. He is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Association and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. Religiously, he and his family are members of the First Christian Reformed church at Lynden, to which he gives generous support. He was for twelve years president of the Christian (Ebenezer) school and has always been deeply interested in education and an earnest advocate of good roads.
On August 5, 1893, Mr. Nymeyer was married to Miss Jane Heeringa, daughter of Peter and Sarah (Siebesma) Herringa, who were born and reared in Holland, where the father died in 1880. His widow is now living in Lynden, at the age of eighty-four years. To Mr. and Mrs. Nymeyer have been born eight children, namely: Ben, born May 27, 1894, is married and has four children, Marie, Ralph, John and Jeannette; Peter, born July 22, 1896, died November 7, 1907; Martin, born September 27, 1898, is married and has four children, Irene, Jeanette, Clarice and Ruth A.; Mrs. Sadie Brink, born December 16, 1900, is the mother of two sons, Arend and Ralph; Marinus, born March 1, 1903, Anna Marie, born August 11, 1905, Ralph, September 19, 1907, and Pieternella, April 3, 1910, are the younger members of the family. Marinus and Ralph operate the home farm for their father and are ably assisted by their sisters, Anna Marie and Pieternella. In every relation of life Mr. Nymeyer has been true to the highest principles of honor, has been an earnest advocate of the best things in community life and his influence has ever been exerted on the right side of every moral issue. He is a man of broad views, is generous in his giving to worthy objects, is friendly in his social relations and enjoys to a notable degree the esteem and confidence of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 785-786