Palmer, James; Hon.
The Hon. James Palmer, a veteran of the Civil war, former state senator and one of the honored octogenarians of Whatcom county, has for fifty years been a definite factor in the social and civic development of the state of Washington but is now living retired in the city of Bellingham, which has been his home for nearly twenty years. He is a native of the old Pine Tree state but has been a resident of the Pacific coast since the days of his young manhood and his interests are thoroughly identified with this region. Mr. Palmer was born in Maine, in 1844, and is a son of Mr. and Mrs. James Palmer, the former of whom was born in England and the latter in the maritime province of New Brunswick in the Dominion of Canada.
James Palmer, Jr., was reared in Maine, and was seventeen years of age when the Civil war broke out. Despite his youth he was accepted for service in the Union army and went to the front with the First Maine Heavy Artillery, with which gallant command he served for three years. Upon the completion of his term of service in the volunteer army he enlisted as a soldier in the regular army and was for three years thereafter stationed on the frontier, guarding against Indian depredations in Arizona and throughout the southwest. On leaving the army he became a resident of California, where he was variously employed until in 1877, when he came to the state of Washington and took up a section of land in the vicinity of Pomeroy in what is now in Garfield county in the southeastern corner of the territory. He then became a resident of this commonwealth, which ever since he had the benefit of his services. On that pioneer tract Mr. Palmer engaged in the raising of live stock, giving particular attention to horses, and he became an extensive rancher, coming in time to have fifteen hundred acres for his range. During his residence there he was an acknowledged factor in civic affairs and served two terms in the legislature from that district and also one term in the state senate. In 1892 he came to the coast, still retaining his ranch on the other side of the mountains, however, and settled at Port Angeles, and was twice elected to represent Clallam county in the state senate, this giving him three terms in the senate, a service of value to the state. During the time of his residence in Port Angeles Mr. Palmer continued to direct the operation of his ranch in Garfield county as well as to look after the interests he had developed in Port Angeles, traveling back and forth between the two points. In 1908 he closed out all his realty interests, concentrated his investments and moved to Bellingham, where he has since made his home, now living comfortably retired at 912 Laurel street. Mr. Palmer is an ardent republican and in the days of his activity was for years recognized as one of the real leaders of that party in this state. He was chairman of the republican state convention in 1904 and has from time to time been in other ways honored by his party.
Mr. Palmer has been twice married. In the city of San Francisco he was united in marriage to Mrs. Lizzie Cross, who died in 1904, and in 1905, at Port Angeles, he married Mrs. Frances Madeline (Ward) Grant, the widow of W. H. Grant. Mrs. Palmer was born on a pioneer farm in Lane county, Oregon, and is a daughter of George R. and Elizabeth (Baber) Ward, the former a native of the state of New York and the latter of Virginia, both being members of old colonial families, who came to the coast country in 1852 and whose first child was born while they were crossing the plains in a covered wagon. George R. Ward took up lands in Lane county, Oregon, and created there a good farm which is still held in the family, being now owned by one of Mrs. Palmer's brothers. By her first marriage Mrs. Palmer became the mother of four children, all of whom are living save one, she having three daughters: Mrs. Jessie Reel of Bellingham, who has been twice married and who by her first marriage is the mother of a daughter, Gertrude Douglas; Jane Lucile, who is the wife of John Douglas of Bellingham, and they have two children, Frances and Theresa; and Gertrude, now living in Paris, France, the wife of George E. Pingree, president of the International Telephone & Telegraph Company. The Douglas brothers were grandsons of Sir James Douglas, at one time governor general of the Dominion of Canada. Mrs. Palmer is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church and active in the Ladies Aid Society; is a member of the Women's Relief Corps and the local chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. Mr. Palmer is a member of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic and is affiliated with the Woodmen of the World.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 128-131
Palmer, S. L.
One of the old and honored citizens of Whatcom county, who has been an eye witness of the wonderful transformation which has taken place here in the last forty years and who now, after a long busy and useful career, is retired from active labor, is S. L. Palmer, of Lynden, than whom no man in this locality enjoys to a greater measure the respect and esteem of the people generally. Mr. Palmer was born in 1847 in Erie, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Benjamin and Mary (Hopkins) Palmer, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Rhode Island. He attended school in Erie county until 1856, when his family moved to Wisconsin, where he finished his education. His father followed farming and to that occupation our subject was reared. He remained in Wisconsin until he was twenty-two years of age, when he went to Minnesota, where he remained a few years. He then returned to Wisconsin, where he was married, and next went to Iowa, where he was engaged in farming for almost four years, after which he again returned to Wisconsin, where for a couple of years he farmed and worked in the woods. From there he went to Ottertail county, Minnesota, where he worked in the woods from 1880 to 1887.
In the latter year Mr. Palmer came to Lynden, Whatcom county, which has been his home continuously since, though at one time he lived in Delta. During practically all of his active life since coming here he has worked in the woods, his first work being the getting out of telegraph and telephone poles, being the first person to engage in that work here. He secured many thousand poles and cleared a good deal of land, probably fifty acres. He has made good money and has been wisely economical of his resources, which he has invested in land, owning several good farms and a good deal of fine timber land. Mr. Palmer has always taken a good citizen's interest in public affairs, having served as one of the early councilmen of Lynden, and he served for several years on the school board at Delta. Upon the organization of Delta township he was a member of the first board of supervisors, and throughout his residence here he has consistently supported every movement for the improvement of the community or the advancement of the public welfare.
In 1872, in Wisconsin, Mr. Palmer was married to Miss Ruth Scoville, who was born in that state. Her father was one of the original 'forty-niners, who crossed the plains to California during the great gold rush. He had lived for twenty-one years on his land in Wisconsin and thus secured the ownership, that being prior to the homestead law. To Mr. and Mrs. Palmer have been born ten children: Mrs. Carrie Scribner, of Vancouver island, is the mother of two children. She has taught school all over Whatcom county. Archie, who follows the occupation of a logger, is married and has six children. N. A. was a captain in the United States navy and made several trips to France. During the World war he was executive officer at the naval training station at Seattle. He is now married and now lives at Flathead, Montana, where he drew a land claim. Mrs. Viola King, of Addy, Washington, is the mother of two children. Mary is the wife of John Swope, of Delta, and the mother of one child. A. C., who is connected with the Sunset service station at Lynden, is married and has five children. Oliver died at the age of twenty-two years. Olive is the wife of Ernest Mock and the mother of four children. Roy, of Los Angeles, is married and has five children. Mrs. Ruth Barnes died in 1908. The mother of these children died in 1918, since which time Mr. Palmer has retired and is now living at his home in Lynden, his youngest sister, Mrs. Nellie Nace, keeping house for him. In February, 1919, Mr. Palmer had the misfortune to break his leg, as a result of which he was laid up for several years, and is even yet unable to walk. He is a kindly and affable gentleman, cheerful in spite of the troubles which have come to him, and among those who know him well he is held in affectionate regard because of his splendid character and his honorable career in this community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 315-316
Whitman Palmer, who is one of the elderly and highly respected farmers and dairymen of the vicinity of Blaine, has passed through many and varied experiences since he first came to the state of Washington, and his career has been characterized by hard and unremitting labor, but prosperity has crowned his efforts and today he is in very comfortable circumstances and able to take life a little more leisurely than formerly. He has so ordered his actions as to earn the respect of all who know him and he is well deserving of representation in the permanent record of the annals of his county. Mr. Palmer was born in Jamestown, New York, on the 30th of December, 1850, and is a son of Henry and Clarissa (Penholow) Palmer. The father, who was a native of New York state, was a shoemaker by trade, and his death occurred in Iowa about 1870. The mother was a native of Connecticut and a descendant of old Pilgrim stock, her American progenitors having come to this county on the Mayflower. In 1853 Henry Palmer brought his family from New York to Guttenberg, Iowa, where he bought a tract of school land and was engaged in farming up to the time of his death.
Whitman Palmer secured his educational training in the public schools of Iowa, to which state he was taken when but three years of age. He remained on the home farm until he had attained his majority, when he went to Dunn county, Wisconsin, and went to work in the lumber mills, where he remained about six years. He then went to St. Croix county, Wisconsin and established a grist mill, but quicksands and freshets ruined the mill and he left there, going to Polk county, that state, where for a few years he served as foreman of a lath mill, after which, for a number of years, he was foreman of logging camps, the mill and camps being owned by brothers-in-law of his father. He remained with them about ten years and then returned to Dunn county, where he owned town property at Knapp, besides which he rented one hundred acres of farm land, which he operated about a year. In the fall of 1890 he came to the vicinity of Blaine, Whatcom county, and soon afterward went into a logging camp at Drayton, where his wife was also employed, as cook. He was next at Anacortes for three months and a similar length of time at Bellingham. He then returned to Blaine and, having accidentally cut his hand severely, disabling him temporarily from labor, he spent about a year with his wife's family. When again able to work he went into a mill at Drayton, where he remained about two years, when the mill was destroyed by fire. Then, coming to Blaine, he went to work in a mill at the wage of ten cents an hour, and was glad to get even that employment, as times were very hard at that period in this locality.
In 1897 he and his wife went to Alaska, where he obtained employment in a sawmill as edger, while his wife worked as cook. After three years in that territory they returned to Blaine but soon afterward went to Surrey Center, British Columbia, where he obtained a foremanship and his wife a position as cook. A year later they came to Drayton, where they spent a summer, after which Mrs. Palmer established a restaurant at Semiahmoo Spit, which she ran for several years, Mr. Palmer working in a sawmill in the meantime. Then for about ten months they were some seventy miles north of Vancouver, where Mr. Palmer was foreman of a sawmill and Mrs. Palmer cooked for the crew. After that they spent a short time at Semiahmoo Spit, and then Mr. Palmer turned his attention to farming, renting a place at Drayton, which he operated for about six years. In 1909 they moved onto their present farm, the first four acres of which he had purchased in 1907. Later he added eight acres and then twenty acres, so that he is now the owner of thirty-two acres of splendid land, from practically all of which he has cut off the heavy timber and brush which covered it when he bought it. He gives his principal attention to dairying, keeping four milk cows and four head of young stock, for which he raises practically all the feed necessary on his place. He has a number of fine improvements, including the necessary farm buildings, and the ranch reflects the sound judgment and excellent taste of its owner.
On August 30, 1874, Mr. Palmer was married to Miss Sarah Jane Thompson, who was born in Antrim, Ohio, a daughter of Rees and Mary (Payne) Thompson, the former of whom was born at Wheeling, West Virginia, and the latter at Newcomerstown, Ohio, where he father was a successful farmer. Mr. Thompson was a cabinet maker by trade, and he moved with the family to Wisconsin when the daughter was but four years of age. In the latter state she received her education, living at Menominee until fifteen years of age, and her marriage to Mr. Palmer occurred at Eaugalla, Wisconsin. To Mr. and Mrs. Palmer have been born eight children, namely: Harrison Rees, who died when five years of age; Frederick Elmer, who died at the age of seventeen months; Mrs. Queenie May Jenkins, a widow, who now lives in Seattle and who is the mother of a son, Wallace Whitman; Whitman Clyde, who died in 1885; Mrs. Nellie Parline Scott, who lives at Olympia, Washington; Norman Amos, who died at the age of three weeks; George Carlton, who is at home and is running the farm for his father; and Mary Ethel, who also is at home and teaches in the public schools at Blaine.
Fraternally Mr. Palmer is a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He has taken a commendable interest in local public affairs and served for many years as a member of the board of supervisors at Semiahmoo, being chairman of the board during a part of that period. He was also for over twenty years a member of the school board. Mrs. Palmer served as township treasurer for fourteen years. This worthy couple, in spite of their years of hard and continuous toil, accompanied by their share of hard luck, have maintained a fine optimism and are today characterized by good cheer and hospitality that have rendered them extremely popular among their wide circle of acquaintances, among whom are many warm and devoted friends, who esteem them for their fine characters, their accomplishments and their interest in the welfare and prosperity of their community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 233-234
The sturdy qualities of the pioneer are manifest in the character of Albert Pancoast, whose life has been spent on the Pacific coast, and the exercise of effort has developed his latent powers, enabling him to win and retain an influential position in mercantile circles of Bellingham. He was born in 1858 at Alameda, California, and is of English lineage, representing an old Quaker family that was established in the east in colonial days. His parents, Franklin and Louise (Conway) Pancoast, were married in the Golden state, in which the father was engaged in farming for many years. He was a native of New Jersey, and in 1852 journeyed to California, completing the long and dangerous voyage around Cape Horn.
Albert Pancoast was reared in his native state, and he had the benefit of two years' attendance at Swarthmore College of Pennsylvania. After completing his education he returned to California and for fourteen years worked on his father's fruit ranch in the Santa Clara valley, becoming thoroughly familiar with horticultural pursuits. He arrived in Seattle in August, 1883, and for about six years was a resident of that city. On the expiration of that period he obtained a position in the store of Harrington & Smith, proprietors of the Whatcom Grocery Company, and remained in their employ until 1889. In April of that year he purchased the business in partnership with David Ireland, who had previously acted as manager, and they have since conducted the enterprise with ever increasing success. They handle only the best lines of groceries, and the firm is the second oldest of the kind in Washington. The service has always been maintained at a high standard and a constantly increasing patronage is indicative of its prestige. The business was conducted for many years on West Holly street and in now housed in a building at No. 1321 Commercial street which is well adapted to its needs.
In 1883 Mr. Pancoast married miss Julia A. Turner, also a native of California, and seven children were born to them: Walter, who is associated with his father in business and has a wife and one son; Chester A., who has passed away; John R., a resident of Seattle; Mildred, who is the wife of Henry Borchardt of Bellingham and has one child, Mildred Jean; Ira, who is married and lives in Lynden; Albert E., of Seattle; and Jessie, deceased.
Mr. Pancoast is allied with the republican party and his public service covers two years of work as a member of the city council. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Chamber of Commerce and the B. P. O. E. He has demonstrated his worth as a citizen and enjoys the esteem of many friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 388-389
Pangborn, L. D.
Those who came to northwestern Whatcom county in the early days of its settlement and bore the hardships and privations necessarily incident to pioneer life well deserved the prosperity which came to them later as the fruition of their labors, and they well merited the privilege of retirement from active affairs to enjoy in leisure the golden Indian summer of their lives. Among this heroic band of first settlers is numbered L. D. Pangborn, now of Lynden, a man whose career in this county has gained for him esteem and respect. Mr. Pangborn was born at Onarga, Iroquois county, Illinois, on the 5th of March, 1845, and is a son of R. B. and Margaret (Harper) Pangborn, the latter of whom was born in Buchanan, Pennsylvania, and died in Illinois. R. B. Pangborn was born in Essex county, New York, where he was reared. He moved to Columbus, Ohio, but eventually located in Iroquois county, Illinois, where he lived until coming to Lynden, Whatcom county, where his death occurred at the age of ninety-three years. He had followed farming during his active years and enjoyed in a large measure the respect of all who knew him.
L. D. Pangborn attended the public schools of his native county and completed his studies in Grand Prairie Seminary, in Illinois. He was reared to the life of a farmer, but after remaining a short time on the home farm he engaged in teaching school, in which vocation he was employed for a number of years, doing some farming during vacation periods. In 1883 he came to Washington and for two years taught in Spokane College, at Spokane Falls. In 1885 he came to Lynden and engaged in the real estate business under the name of the Pioneer Real Estate Company, being the first to engage exclusively in that business here. Later he took a partner into the business. Some time after coming here Mr. Pangborn established the Pioneer Press, which was the first newspaper in this section of the county, and he ran the paper for several years, when he sold it. He then went into the country, about six miles northeast of Lynden, where his sister, Olive Pangborn, had preempted one hundred and sixty acres of land in 1883, she and her brother, the subject, having been induced to come to this locality through the representations of a brother-in-law, Professor J. J. Swim, who was teaching in Seattle. It was a tract of virgin land, wild and uncut, and with only a trail leading to it. Mr. Pangborn devoted himself closely to the improvement of the property, clearing about twenty-five acres. About 1920 their property was destroyed by fire and they then returned to Lynden, where they are now living. Our subject had bought forty-five acres of the old home place, which he later sold, and his sister has also sold her part of the estate. Besides the loss by fire, Mr. Pangborn's poor health was an important reason for his leaving the farm. He had been successfully carrying on general farming operations, oats and potatoes being his chief soil crops, and also gave some attention to dairying, keeping ten good grade cows. His early years on the farm were marked by hard toil, amid most uncomfortable conditions. At first it was necessary to pack in all provisions to his place, there being no roads, and considerable ditching had to be done in order to drain the soil. Wild animals, such as bears, deer and cougars, were frequently seen, and in many ways their early life here was marked by discomfort and privations.
Mr. Pangborn was always deeply interested in the progress and improvement of the community with which his interests were identified and contributed in every possible way to its betterment. To him is given the credit for writing the first descriptive pamphlet of upper Whatcom county, which was published about 1887, and which was a very comprehensive and well written statement of essential facts, bearing on the soil, productiveness, timber, climate, crops, costs and other subjects that would interest prospective settlers. He organized the first Sunday school (Methodist) in Lynden and was its first superintendent. He was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, serving for many years as a member of the official board of the church at Lynden, and was also a member of the Community Service Club. He is a veteran of the Civil war, having been a member of Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with which he served about six months during 1864-65. Those who know Mr. Pangborn well are unstinted in their praise of his superior ability, upright character and genial and affable disposition, qualities which have won for him the confidence and good will of all who have come in contact with him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 915-916
Parker, Fred W.
A ready recognition of opportunity and keen powers of discernment constitute valuable assets in the career of Fred W. Parker, who has proven his executive capacity by his success, and his character by his standing in business circles of Bellingham. A son of Frederick and Mary (Perkins) Parker, he was born in 1868 and is a native of Quebec, Canada. The father was in the employ of the Canadian government, acting as collector of customs at Fraleighsburg, Quebec, for a number of years, and has passed away. He is survived by the mother, who was one of the first women telegraphers in the country. She was born in New Hampshire and is now a resident of that state.
Fred W. Parker was educated in the public schools of Quebec, and in 1855, when a youth of seventeen, he entered the service of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police and carried dispatches throughout Alberta, not under enlistment during the Indian war, never faltering in the performance of his hazardous duties. He also operated a ranch in that province and followed the occupation of farming for about three years. In 1886 he came to the United States. He lived for three years in Seattle and in 1889 came to Whatcom. Bellingham harbor was then being surveyed by Lieutenant Mayo, now an admiral in the United States navy, and Mr. Parker aided in the work. He afterward entered the tent and awning business in Seattle and remained in that city until 1900, when he transferred his interests to Bellingham. The business was originally conducted under the style of the Northwest Tent & Awning Company and is now operated under the name of the Parker Tent & Awning Company. Its first home in the city was at No. 501 West Holly street, and in 1923 the business was moved to No. 1235 State street, the present location. The firm also handles a general line of camping and sporting goods, and the business is one of extent and importance. The company carries only the highest grade of stock, and as its president Mr. Parker manifests initiative, foresight and marked business acumen.
In 1910 Mr. Parker was married in Tacoma, Washington, to Miss Bertha Joehnk, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of H. F. and Ida (Jonas) Joehnk. They settled in Tacoma in 1887, and Mr. Joehnk was one of its pioneer shoe dealers. He was an enterprising merchant and established a large trade. He still resides in that city and has reached the age of seventy-eight years, but the mother has passed away. Mr. Parker is a Scottish Rite Mason and has taken the fourteenth degree. He belongs to the Eastern Star, with which his wife is also connected, and in political matters he follows his own judgment. Mr. Parker is a man of broad and liberal views, quiet and unassuming in manner, but possesses many sterling traits of character, as his fellow citizens attest.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 704-707
Parrish, M. W.
For twenty years M. W. Parrish has been a resident of the Custer neighborhood, and there are few men in that section of Whatcom county who have a better acquaintance than he. Mr. Parrish came out to the coast country in 1905 to attend the exposition at Portland and became so deeply impressed with the possibilities of this region that after some inquiry and a bit of personal investigation he bought a tract of land in the immediate vicinity of Custer in this county and has since made his home here. He was born in Dodge county, Wisconsin, September 8, 1855, and is a son of Philander W. and Lydia (Miles) Parrish, the latter of whom was born in St. Johnsbury, Caledonia county, Vermont, June 12, 1822. Her father was elder brother of David Miles, the father of General Nelson Appleton Miles, thus making her a first cousin of that distinguished officer of the United States army. The earliest American ancestor of this line of the Miles family on this side of the Atlantic was the Rev. John Miles, a Baptist clergyman and educator, who emigrated from Wales in 1662 and settled at Swansea, Massachusetts. Philander W. Parrish was born in Hamburg, Erie county, New York, December 30, 1815, and was reared as a farmer. In 1844 he closed out his interests in the east and moved with his family to what was then the territory of Wisconsin, which was admitted to statehood four years later, and he thus was one of the pioneers of that state. The family moved by boat to Milwaukee and from there had a sixty-five mile walk ahead of them to their land in Dodge county. Mr. Parrish had entered a tract of government land in Leroy township, that county, and upon his arrival there settled down with his family and began to clear and improve the place, where he and his wife spent the remainder of their lives.
Reared on the home farm in Dodge county, Wisconsin, M. W. Parrish was educated in the schools of his home township and remained with his father on the farm until his married in the year in which he attained his majority. He then engaged in farming on his own account in his home county but a few years later moved from there to Nebraska. Not finding conditions there wholly satisfactory he presently returned to Wisconsin, where he engaged in the livery business. He also for some time worked as a carpenter and brick mason. In 1884 he returned to Nebraska and located on a farm in Antelope county, that state, where he remained for something more than seven years, at the end of which time he moved to Mitchell county, Iowa, and established himself on a farm there. On this latter place he remained until 1905, when, as above stated, he moved to Whatcom county. Upon coming here Mr. Parrish bought a tract of forty acres, eighteen acres of which had been cleared and of which all but three acres of a standing grove is now cleared. He was engaged in dairying for ten years, at the end of which time he retired and rented the place, and he is now living on a one acre tract adjoining the village, where he and his wife are very comfortably situated.
It was on November 2, 1876, at Oakfield, Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, that Mr. Parrish was united in marriage to Miss Robsie Hungerford, and to this union five children have been born, namely: Edna, who died as an infant; Edith M., who married E. C. Bennedict, and living in Bellingham, and has four children, two sons and two daughters; Jessie E., who married E. M. Doane, now living in Alberta, and has two daughters; Verne Parrish, who is married and has one child; and Claude Parrish, now living in California, who is married and has three sons. Mrs. Parrish is a daughter of Hile O. and Julianne (Nichols) Hungerford, both natives of the state of New York, for former, a farmer, born in the vicinity of the city of Utica. Mr. Parrish has ever taken an interested and helpful part in local civic affairs and was for four years chairman of the board of supervisors in and for the township of Custer. He also for years rendered public service as a member of the school board in his district. For eighteen years he has been connected with the Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Enumclaw and is widely known throughout this section of the state. For twenty-eight years he has been a member of the Modern Woodmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 920-921
Pascoe, James H.
James H. Pascoe, who has been in the service of the Bellingham Coal Mines Company, Incorporated, of Bellingham, in the capacity of general superintendent, since February, 1919, has been engaged in mine work from the age of twelve years and is thoroughly familiar with every phase thereof. His birth occurred at Marshfield, Oregon, in 1875, his parents being James and Jessie (Nelson) Pascoe. The latter was still but a child when in 1863 she accompanied her father, Alexander Nelson, across the plains by ox team from Illinois to California. Mr. Nelson was engaged in farming in the San Joaquin valley prior to going into the mines. It was in the Golden state that his daughter Jessie became the wife of James Pascoe, who made his way from the east to San Francisco via Cape Horn in 1868. Two children were born to the couple at Summerville, California. James Pascoe worked in the mines of that state until 1874, when he went to the Eastport mines in Oregon, where his son and namesake and also another daughter were born to him and his wife. Mrs. Jessie (Nelson) Pascoe departed this life in 1878. It was in 1889 that James Pascoe left Oregon for Colorado, taking up his abode at Leadville, where he passed away in November of the same years.
James H. Pascoe, whose name introduces this review, spent the first twenty years of his life in the state of his nativity. When a lad of twelve he obtained employment as trapper or door boy in the mines, and eight years later, when a young man of twenty, he entered the metal mines at Nevada City, California, where he remained for two years. He next spent one year in the metal mines of Montana and in 1899 returned to Oregon on a visit. Going back to California, he remained in that state until the spring of 1900, when he came to Washington and thereafter worked in the Wilkeson mines for about six months. Subsequently he was employed in various other mines of this state and then again made his way to Oregon, while on the 9th of September, 1903, he once more started for California. Next he worked in the mines at Hastings in southern Colorado and thence went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he arrived at the time of the exposition. Leaving the latter city, he went to the Illinois coal fields at Belleville and remained in the mines of that state for six years. He acted as mine examiner at Superior Mine No. 3, at that time the largest in the world. In July, 1909, Mr. Pascoe returned to the Fairfax mines in Washington, where he was employed as fire boss and mine foreman for one year. While in Illinois he took up the study of Mining with the International Correspondence School and completed a course in mining engineering. Desiring to broaden his experience, he went into the Roslyn mines as shot lighter and three months later became assistant foreman, while subsequently he was made humidity man, experimenting with the humidity of mine air to combat coal dust problems. Thereafter he served as foreman of Mine No. 5 at Roslyn for three years. On the 1st of February, 1915, he was transferred to No. 7, a larger mine, of which he remained foreman for a period of four years or until the 1st of February 1919. At the latter date he came to Bellingham, where he has since represented the Bellingham Coal Mines Company as general superintendent, and his efficient services in this connection are highly appreciated by the corporation.
On the 14th of January, 1904, Mr. Pascoe was united in marriage to Mary Myer, of Belleville, Illinois. They are the parents of a son and daughter, namely: Clarence W., who is a student in the State College of Washington at Pullman; and Florence M., who is attending the Behnke-Walker Business College of Portland, Oregon. In politics Mr. Pascoe is a stanch adherent of the republican party, while his religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church. A worthy exemplar of the teachings and purposes of the Masonic fraternity, he is a Scottish Rite Mason who has been senior warden in the blue lodge, also belongs to the Mystic Shrine and is now serving as president of the Northwestern Shrine Club at Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 127-128
Sometime soon after 1860, that very early settler took a homestead and built his cabin on the site of present Lynden. Here, with Reuben Bizer he started a stock ranch on the extensive prairie that induced him to settle there.
They both took Indian wives, who did much of the hard work in connection with the undertaking. Later Reuben Bizer left the partnership and settled near Ferndale. Patterson was hard on his Indian wife, and often was away, leaving all the work for her to do, with the aid of a young Indian about her age. As a result of this neglect, his wife and the young Indian eloped to British Columbia, leaving Patterson all the work and his two little daughters to care for. In a vexed quandary, and unable to persuade his Indian wife to return to his home and her children, Patterson decided to leave the country.
While in Olympia on business, Mr. Patterson met Holden Judson, a businessman of the Capital, and after a time persuaded Mrs. Judson to take his two little daughters into her home, in return for which great favor, he agreed to relinquish all his rights to his squatter's claim. Thus the Judsons came into possession of the site of Lynden, which they later laid out and named.
Soon after the coming of the Judsons in 1870, Colonel Patterson left for the East, where he spent the remainder of his life, with the exception of one later visit to the old home on the Nooksack.
Skqee Mus, R. E. Hawley, pub. 1945, pg. 179
This well remembered farmer and honored citizen of Whatcom county, who is now numbered "with them that sleepeth," was a native of Norway, upon which country the state of Washington has largely drawn for its most enterprising and progressive citizens. Early in life Mr. Paulsen established those habits of industry and frugality which insured his success in later years. Coming to this locality, he secured a tract of raw land, which he developed into a good farm and a comfortable home, with many of the comforts and conveniences of life, and he became one of the most highly esteemed citizens of his community, where his sterling qualities of character were fully appreciated by those with whom he came in contact.
S. Paulsen was born in Norway on the 20th of August, 1868, and his death occurred on the 11th of January, 1925, in the fifty-seventh year of his age. He was a son of Paul and Engeborg (Petersen) Larsen, both of whom also were natives of Norway, where the father, who is now deceased, was a farmer, also following the fishing industry in winter. The mother is still living in her native land. Our subject secured his education in the public schools of Norway and worked for his father until the age of twenty-eight, when he started out on his own account, buying a farm, to the cultivation of which he devoted himself. He also sailed to some extent on the high seas, and being an all-round mechanic, he worked at carpentering, blacksmithing and other like occupations. In 1910 he came to America, locating in British Columbia, where for several years he was engaged in farming, also working a little at the carpenter's trade. In the meantime he bought forty acres of land near Custer, Whatcom county, and in 1915 he moved onto that place, which was covered with timber and brush, and began the clearing of it. About eight acres are now cleared and in cultivation, the remainder being devoted to pasture. The farm buildings, which are substantial in character and attractive in appearance, he built himself, and he also made many other improvements on the place, which he developed into a very desirable homestead. Mr. Paulsen engaged quite extensively in the chicken business, keeping about a thousand laying hens, and met with very gratifying success along that line. He also kept a few cows for dairy purposes. The hens are practically all of the White Leghorn variety, and he erected good henhouses, so that the flock is properly cared for.
On July 16, 1895, Mr. Paulsen was married to Miss Lena Ornsen, a native of Norway and a daughter of Ornt and Darten (Davidson) Olsen, farming folk of that county, where they spent their lives, both dying before Mr. Paulsen came to the country in 1912. No children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Paulsen, but Mrs. Paulsen is caring for two children of an "old country" friend, giving them the same careful attention that she would have give to children of her own. Mr. Paulsen was a faithful member of the Free Lutheran church, to which Mrs. Paulsen also belongs, and he was likewise a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He was a man of upright character and sterling integrity - a man who could always be counted upon to support every measure for the advancement of the community along material, civic or moral lines. Quiet and unassuming but genial and hospitable, he won a host of warm friends, among whom he was held in the highest confidence and esteem, and his memory is respected throughout the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 313-314
Paus, Henry A.
Henry A. Paus was successful
as a carpenter and realtor of Bellingham for a number of years prior to his death, which occurred in
September, 1918, when had had attained the ripe old age of eighty-one years. He was born in 1837, in Prussia, where
his parents also were born, and there he spent the period of his boyhood. As a youth of seventeen he crossed the
Atlantic to the United States and made his way to Chicago, Illinois, where he remained for a number of years, following
the trade of carpentering, which he had learned in his native country. He was a young man of twenty-four when the
Civil war broke out, and he joined the army, for four years rendering valiant service to the Union cause as a member
of the Sixth Iowa Cavalry. He always maintained pleasant relations with his old military comrades as a member of
the Grand Army of the Republic.
It was while a resident of Chicago, Illinois, that Henry A. Paus wedded Augusta Wolfram, who bore him six children, of whom two survive, namely: Mrs. Matilda Stangroom, who resides at Nome, Alaska, and has a son, Stuart; and Herbert, who lives and has one child. The wife and mother passed away about the year 1895.
After leaving Illinois, Henry A. Paus resided for a number of years in Minnesota, and it was in 1890 that he first came to Bellingham, Washington, and purchased property, subsequently moving back and forth between this state and Minnesota. After taking up his permanent abode at Bellingham he devoted his attention to the trade of carpentering and to the real estate business throughout the remainder of his life. In his death the city sustained the loss of a highly esteemed and representative citizen as well as a substantial business man.
About one year following the death of his first wife, Henry A. Paus was united in marriage to Mrs. Jessie Paus, who bore the maiden name of Jessie Owen, her parents being Joseph and Ellen (Mills) Owen, natives of New Jersey and Scotland, respectively. She spent the first fifteen years of her life in her native state of Wisconsin and then went to live with an aunt in Minnesota, where she became the wife of Thomas Paus. Gerald Paus, son of Thomas and Jessie (Owen) Paus, is employed as clerk in the Leopold Hotel at Bellingham. He married Effie Matz and is the father of two sons, Roland and Norman Paus. His mother, Mrs. Jessie Paus, came to Bellingham, Washington, in 1898.
Mrs. Jessie Paus, is a member of the Neighbors of Woodcraft and, like her late husband, is a republican in politics. Since the death of Henry A. Paus she has made her home on Lakeway drive at Bellingham, in the Paus subdivision, which was platted by Mr. Paus and on which he built and sold several homes. She is well and favorably known here and enjoys the regard of many warm friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 374