Peasley, K. B.
A product of the west, K. B. Peasley is thoroughly imbued with the spirit of enterprise and determination, and his rapidly expanding powers have carried him into important relations. He is now numbered among the successful business men of Bellingham and concentrates his attention upon the hardware trade. A native of California, he was born in San Francisco, and his parents, Elbert and Eva Peasley, were among the early settlers of that city, to which they journeyed from Muscatine, Iowa. The father subsequently moved to Seattle, Washington. He is now deceased, and the mother has also passed away.
K. B. Peasley attended the public schools of Palo Alto, California, and his higher education was received in the Washington State College. He filled various positions and in 1913 entered the employ of the Seattle Hardware Company. He found the work congenial and his keen intelligence enabled him to assimilate readily the details of the trade. He was steadily advanced, and in 1923 he came to Bellingham as assistant treasurer of the Northwest Hardware Company. He has since occupied this office, and he discharges his duties with thoroughness and efficiency, doing all in his power to further the interests of the corporation. F. H. Knight is president of the company, which was incorporated in 1902. The business was purchased from William Frizell, who established the enterprise in 1899, and for twenty-seven years it has served the residents of this locality. The company carries a complete line of light and heavy hardware, also handling lumber supplies, and conducts both a wholesale and retail business. The trade extends throughout northwestern Washington and three traveling salesmen are employed. The firm has a two-story building with a frontage of one hundred and sixty five feet on Bay street, and a depth of one hundred and twenty-five feet, which is used as a warehouse, while the main building, on Holly street, is three stories in height, with a depth of one hundred and ten feet and a fifty foot frontage. Theirs is one of the most progressive hardware houses in this section of the state and owes its success to unswerving allegiance to the high standard of service upon which the business was founded.
In 1913 Mr. Peasley married Miss Margaret Dickinson, a daughter of Philip E. and Susannah Dickinson, and the children of this union are Elbert Dickinson and Margaret. Mr. Peasley belongs to the Lions Club and is a republican in his political views. He owes his rise in the business world to the faithful performance of each day's tasks, and his ability and ambition insure his continuous progress.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 789-790
Perry, Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson Perry is one of the well known and substantial farmers and dairymen of Mountain View township, being the proprietor of a well improved place on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale. He has resided in this county for the past twenty-five years and has become well established here.
Mr. Perry is a native of Missouri, born on a farm in Bates county on the western border of that state, December 23, 1868, and is a son of Benjamin and Jane (Vance) Perry, both natives of Tennessee, who were married in that state and who later established their home in Bates county, Missouri, where their last days were spent, both dying in their prime. A. J. Perry was but nine years of age when he became an orphan, and his youth thereafter was spent in the household of an elder brother, William Perry, his education being received in the schools of his native county. The brother later moved to Montgomery county in eastern Kansas and our subject remained with him until his marriage, not long after passing his majority, when he became engaged in farming on his own account.
Mr. Perry remained on the farm until 1902, when he closed out his holdings there and came with his family to Washington, locating in Whatcom county. Upon his arrival here he became employed in the mills in the Ferndale district and was thus engaged until 1910, when he bought a tract of ten acres, on which place he has since resided. To the original tract he subsequently added by purchase, until he now has a well kept place of forty-four acres, besides which he is operating, on a rental basis, an adjoining tract of forty-five acres, and he is doing well in these activities. For some years Mr. Perry has added dairying to his general farming operations and is also quite largely interested in poultry raising, having a good herd of dairy cattle and about one hundred and fifty hens. For some time he was an active member of the local school board, and for several years he served as overseer of highways in his home district.
Mr. Perry has been twice married. In 1890, in Kansas, he was united in marriage to Miss Lydia Knuckles, who died in August, 1893, leaving a son, Harvey Perry. The latter, who is now living in Bellingham, married Theresa Jones, of the Mountain View district, and has three sons, Lester, Lyle and Bonnie. In 1895, in Kansas, Mr. Perry married Miss Josephine Balch, and to this union six children have been born, namely: Albert Perry, who married Dorothy Knott; Mabel, who married E. K. Knight and has a son, Leslie; Charles Perry, who is now connected with the operations of the Van Zandt lumber mill; Ralph Perry, who is employed in the Bloedel-Donovan mill at Bellingham; Miss Rachel Perry, who acts as bookkeeper in the Manner Brothers garage at Ferndale; and Clifford Perry, who is in high school. Mrs. Perry was born in Johnson county, Kansas, and is a daughter of joseph C. and Mary (Erskine) Balch, who is 1902 came to Whatcom county and who are now living two miles north of Ferndale, where they have a well developed fruit farm and are also largely engaged in bee culture. Mrs. Perry is a member of the Methodist church in Ferndale, and both Mr. and Mrs. Perry are members of the democratic party.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 366-369
Perry, James B.
No state in the Union can boast of a more heroic band of pioneers than Washington. In their courage, intelligence, capacity and loyalty to the right they have had no superiors. Many of them came from Scotland, and in their daring and heroism they have been equal to the Missouri and California argonauts. Their privations, hardships and earnest labors have resulted in establishing one of the foremost commonwealths in the Union and one which has still greater possibilities before it. A member of this worth band was James B. Perry, who has passed on to higher scenes of action but whose memory rests like a blessed benediction on all who knew him. Mr. Perry was a native of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, his birth occurring on the 11th of August, 1843, and he was a son of William and Elizabeth (Beck) Perry. His parents brought their family to the United States in 1857 and settled at Peoria, Illinois, where the father established a blacksmith shop, which he ran for several years. Later, with his sons, he bought a farm, on which they lived until 1876, when they came to Whatcom county and took up a homestead at Van Buren, three miles north of Everson, and here the parents spent the remaining years of their lives, the father dying in 1893 and the mother in 1899. Of the seven children who blessed their union, two are living: Mrs. Isabel Harper, of Portland, Oregon; and Andrew, of Cottage Grove, Oregon.
James B. Perry accompanied his parents on their emigration to the United States and remained with them until after they came to Washington. Soon after their arrival here, he "squatted" on a tract of land on the river near Nooksack, but, the land being unsurveyed, he gave it up two years later. He then took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres near Sumas, the land being partly swamp and the remainder covered with heavy timber and brush. He first built a small house of "shakes," and then began clearing the tract, a laborious task, but which was eventually accomplished. He developed there a valuable and fertile farm, on which he spent the remaining years of his life, his death occurring December 5, 1898. His life most happily illustrated what one may accomplish by faithful and persistent effort, even in the face of discouraging circumstances. He was a man of absolute honesty, persistent energy and sound judgment and was regarded as one of the community's best citizens. He was the architect of his own fortune, and on his record there appears no blemish, for he was true to his highest ideals. He was a faithful husband, a kind and loving father, a public-spirited citizen and a true and loyal friend, and he commanded to a marked degree the respect and confidence of the entire community.
On December 18, 1873, Mr. Perry was married to Miss Emily Fry, who was born and reared in Peoria, Illinois, a daughter of George H. and Elizabeth (Lee) Fry. Her parents were both natives of England but came to this country locating in Peoria. Both are now deceased, the father dying in Oregon and the mother in Illinois. They were the parents of three children: Phoebe E., Annabel and Emily, (Mrs. Perry), who is the only survivor. To Mr. and Mrs. Perry were born nine children, namely: James H., who lives near Sumas; Charles A., who also lives near Sumas; Mrs. Emily E. Bublitz, who lives in Tacoma, Washington; Ellis L., who lives in Oregon, is married and has six children - Carol, Elsie, James, Vail, Vernon and a baby; Mrs. Edith May Minaker, the first white girl to be born in Sumas, who lives in British Columbia, and is the mother of eight children - Ellis, Esten, Clarence, Charles, Lewis, Ira, Harold and a baby; Ira B., who lives at Sumas; Lester, of Seattle, Washington; Mrs. Esther E. Tyner, of Sumas; and Mrs. Anna V. Satterlee, of Laurel, Whatcom county, who is the mother of two children, Wilbert and Betty.
Mrs. Perry now lives with her three unmarried sons, James, Charles and Ira, on their eighty acre farm, two and a half miles east of Sumas. Despite her age she is comparatively active and is still able to keep house for her sons. She is a typical pioneer, and she tells many interesting incidents of the early days in this locality, in the settlement of which she bore her full share. She was the first white woman to settle in Sumas and was there six months before she saw another white woman. She assisted her husband in making the "shakes" of which their first home was made, and also made practically all of the furniture which went into that pioneer home. Indians and wild animals were numerous and sometimes their lives were anything but peaceful, because of the constant danger from both of these sources. Through all those early years she nobly seconded her husband's heroic efforts and uncomplainingly endured hardships and privations that would utterly discourage the average woman of today. She possesses splendid personal qualities, is kindly and hospitable and is held in the highest esteem by all who know her.
The farm on which Mrs. Perry and her sons live is a fine piece of land, fertile and well cultivated, and returns fine crops of hay and grain. They keep seventeen good grade Jersey cows and two pure bred cows, as well as a pure bred sire. The sons are practical farmers, adopting modern methods, and the success which they are achieving is well deserved. They are all well educated, being graduates of the Sumas high school, James also attending the State Normal School at Bellingham. He likewise taught school for four years, in the Columbia valley, Whatcom county. He and Charles are members of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. Ira has taken an active part in local public affairs and has served for the past four years as township assessor. They are men of high character, industrious habits and fine public spirit and are highly respected throughout the community where they live.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 538-539
Perry, W. Allan
Wonderful indeed has been the transformation effected in Washington, and particularly in Whatcom county, since it was first beheld by the late W. Allan Perry, one of its honored pioneers and for many years a worthy and influential citizen. When this sterling individual cast his lot here he found a wide-spreading wilderness, still the haunts of various species of wild animals; but, being a man of courage and foresight, he underwent the hardships and trials incident to life in a new country and in the course of time found abundant vindication of his judgment. He was a man whom all admired for his honesty, courage, hospitality and public spirit, and he is eminently deserving of a place in the permanent record of the annals of his country.
Mr. Perry was a native of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, born on the 6th of March, 1851, and he died June 21, 1919, at the age of sixty-eight years. His parents, William and Elizabeth (Beck) Perry, were both natives of the south of Scotland, whence they came to the United States in 1853, settling in Illinois. The father was a blacksmith by trade and established a shop near Peoria, Illinois, which he ran until 1876, when he came to Washington and located a homestead on Barnes' prairie, three miles north of Everson. There were then no roads in that locality, and his land was densely covered with timber and brush, so that the prospect was not a very inviting one. His first act was the building of a small log cabin, which is still standing. He cleared part of the tract and continued to cultivate the land until his death, which occurred January 19, 1893. He was survived for a number of years by his widow, who died in March, 1901. They were the parents of nine children, two of whom are now living: Mrs. Agnes Kirkman, deceased; James B., deceased; Mary, who died in infancy in Scotland, as did the next child, Andrew; Mrs. Elizabeth Vanover, who died in Oregon; Mrs. Isabel Harper, who lives in Portland, Oregon; W. Allan, the subject of this memoir; Andrew, who lives in Oregon; and Mrs. Mary Duncan, deceased.
W. Allan Perry accompanied his parents on their immigration to this country and remained with them in Illinois until 1874, when he came to Washington, stopping first at Seattle, at which time it was but a small town. He was employed for a time as an engineer in a sawmill and then went to British Columbia and worked on the construction of a tunnel at Yale for the Canadian Pacific railroad, after which he returned to Seattle and became a member of the city fire department as engineer of Engine Company No. 1. He held that position for twelve years and then, in the fall of 1889, he came to the Nooksack valley and took personal charge of a ranch that he had previously purchased from his father, and there he resided continuously up to the time of his death. He made a number of excellent improvements on the place, including the erection of a fine, modern house in 1908 and a substantial barn in 1915. He was a good farmer, practical and methodical in all of his operations, doing thoroughly and well all that he undertook, and he won an enviable reputation among his fellow citizens.
Mr. Perry was married, in December, 1886, to Miss Marie Strache, who was born in Germany, a daughter of Gottlieb and Charlotte Strache, both of whom also were natives of that country. The father came to the United States in 1872, coming at once to Whatcom county, where he lived about a year, his death occurring in September, 1873. His wife survived him for many years, her death occurring in January, 1911. They were the parents of six children, the three first born being deceased: Carl, Mary and Ernest; Leibrecht, who is retired and lives in Portland, Oregon; Frederick; and Marie, Mrs. Perry. To Mr. and Mrs. Perry were born six children, namely: Roderic D., who was born at Seattle, November 26, 1887, and is now at home operating the home farm of one hundred and seventeen acres; Charlotte Elizabeth, who died February 16, 1920; Mary Agnes, who was graduated from the Nooksack high school, the State Normal School at Bellingham and the University of Washington, at Seattle, and is now vice principal of the Fairhaven high school; Mrs. Isabel Lois Neill, who lives at Yakima, Washington; Ollysum, who was graduated from the Nooksack high school, taught school for two years and is now attending the State Normal School at Bellingham; and William S., who is a graduate of the Nooksack high school and is now attending the normal school. Roderic D. Perry is managing the home farm in a manner that has won for him the commendation of his fellow citizens. He pays considerable attention to dairying.
W. Allan Perry was a man of culture and education, and his knowledge was secured chiefly through his own efforts. He was a close and thoughtful reader and a keen observer of men and events, becoming well and accurately informed on a wide range of subjects. He was a writer of more that ordinary ability and frequently contributed article to "Forest and Stream," as well as to other leading magazines. The beginning of his career was characterized by hard work and honest endeavor and he owed his success entirely to his own initiative and efforts. A man of great native ability, stanch patriotism, invincible courage, high personal character and keen business instincts, he won not only material success but also the absolute confidence and respect of those about him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 140-141
Peters, B. L.
One of Bellingham's distinctive features is the United States plant introduction garden, of which B. L. Peters is manager, and his elevation to this important office is the merited reward of seventeen years of efficient, conscientious service. A native of Virginia, he was born in 1889 and in 1904 came to Bellingham with his parents, John and Josephine (Webster) Peters, who settled on a farm in Van Wyck township. B. L. Peters attended the public schools of the south and was fifteen years of age when the family migrated to the Pacific coast. He started to work in the bulb garden as a laborer and has practically grown up on this noted farm. He had devoted much time to the study of floriculture, acquiring an exhaustive knowledge of the subject, and has steadily progressed, becoming scientific aid and manager of the garden in 1923. Although young in years, he fully meets the requirements of the position, and his work has been highly commended. Mr. Peters is assisted by H. A. Houser, who also acts as scientific aid and has been associated with the garden for sixteen years.
This experiment station was established by the government in 1905 on Marietta road for the purpose of encouraging the production of tulips and was started with ten acres. P. H. Dorsett and Dr. David Griffiths, government officials, and Charles X. Larrabee and other public-spirited citizens became interested in the project and in 1916 the last named gentleman donated to the garden sixty acres of wild land in the vicinity of the grounds of the Bellingham Country Club. In the intervening period to the present time thirty acres of the tract have been cleared and a greenhouse one hundred by twenty-five feet in dimensions has been erected. The bulb house is a two story structure one hundred by forty feet in dimensions, and a nine room residence and a large barn have also been built on the land. The farm is conducted by the United States department of Agriculture and has become the bulb center of America. The garden produces many varieties of tulip, lily, narcissus, hyacinth and daffodil bulbs, and the propagating of Holland bulbs in being carried out here with marked success. The public receives the benefit of the scientific discoveries made at the station, and the farm has been of inestimable value to the people of this region and to the entire country. It presents an entranceing vision of beauty during the months of April and May, when the flowers have attained perfection, and the annual tulip festival has drawn to Bellingham tourists from every section of the United States. Conditions in this region are particularly favorable to bulb propagation and the garden is the only one in the country operating on this scale.
In 1914 Mr. Peters married Miss Alice Dunkle, a daughter of D. H. Dunkle, one of the early settlers of Bellingham and the children of this union are Violet and Coralee.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 313-314
Petersen, Frank M.
Frank M. Petersen in a worthy representative of the agricultural interests of Whatcom county, possessing to a notable degree that progressive spirit which promotes public good and conserves popular interests while advancing individual prosperity. He is of the second generation of his family to be identified with Whatcom county and he has attained an enviable place in the confidence and esteem of the people of his community. Mr. Petersen is a native of Whatcom county, having been born at Ferndale on the 24th of March, 1892, and is a son of John C. and Mary (Jensen) Petersen, both of whom were born and reared in Denmark. They emigrated to the United States in 1883 and first located in Minnesota, where they spent a few years. About 1886 they went to Los Angeles, California, where they lived about eighteen months, and then, in 1887, came to Whatcom county. The father went to work near Blaine, being engaged in clearing land for two or three years, and then preempted one hundred and sixty acres of land two miles east of Blaine. Later he sold that tract and bought twenty acres one and a half miles east of Ferndale, which he cleared of the stumps and brush which covered it, and then sold it in 1900. About 1899 he bought eighty acres of land on the Nooksack river, one and a half miles south of Ferndale, and which at that time was practically all covered with brush and timber. He cleared it, developing the place into a good farm and living there until 1919, when he retired and is now residing in Bellingham, having leased the farm to his son, Frank M. He is also the owner of another fine ranch along the Nooksack river, near Ferndale. To Mr. and Mrs. Petersen were born three children, namely: Frank M.; Mrs. Carrie Bergsma, who died February 26, 1926, leaving three children, Howard, Leslie and Margaret; and Mrs. Myrtle King, who has a son, Robert.
Frank M. Petersen was educated in the public schools of Ferndale, graduating from the high school, and he remained with his father until the latter retired from the home farm, when he leased it and has continued to operate it to the present time. He is energetic and persevering, thoroughly understands every phase of agriculture, and exercises sound judgment and wise discrimination in the operation of his place. The farm is well improved and, under his able management, is returning a handsome reward for the labor bestowed on it. Mr. Petersen keeps twenty head of good Holstein cattle and ten head of young cattle. He has most of the land in hay and grain and has about five acres in sugar beets. He is progressive and up-to-date in his ideas and has won a good reputation among his fellow farmers for his enterprising spirit. He is a member of the Pomona Grange and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association.
Mr. Petersen was married May 20, 1919, to Miss Mamie Newell, who was born and reared in Iowa, a daughter of William B. and Laura (Eastman) Newell, the latter of whom is deceased, while the father is still living in Iowa, where he follows the occupation of farming. Mrs. Petersen received a good education and taught school prior to her marriage. She is a member of the Bellingham Chapter, D. A. R., being eligible on three lines of ancestry. Mr. and Mrs. Petersen have two children, Mary Ellen, born September 14, 1920; and Nelda Claire, born May 18, 1922. Mr. Petersen is a man of influence in local affairs, is thoroughly in sympathy with all movements looking toward the betterment or advancement of the community, and enjoys the unbounded respect and confidence of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 668-671
Petersen, Hans L.
Hans L. Petersen, a sterling son of Denmark, who has become one of the honored and respected citizens of Whatcom county, has in every way merited the success he has achieved in a material way and the esteem which is accorded him by his fellowmen.
Mr. Petersen was born in 1864 and is a son of Peter and Katherine (Jespersen) Hansen, the former of whom was a weaver by trade, and both of whom spent their entire lives in their native land. Our subject attended the public schools of his native country, and because of an accident to one of his eyes he was relieved from the customary military service. After leaving school he was employed as a cow herder until April, 1884, when he immigrated to the United States, locating in Door county Wisconsin, where a brother was engaged in farming. He remained with his brother for two years, but he suffered from the extreme cold, at one time having all of his toes frozen, and determining on a change he went to Chicago in 1886 and bought a ticket for Seattle.
After arriving here Mr. Petersen was for about six months employed in logging camps and then went to Sehome and was employed in railroad construction work on the Bellingham Bay & British Columbia Railroad. For some time thereafter he made Bellingham his headquarters, being employed at various occupations until 1891, when he went to California. After remaining there two years, he returned to Bellingham for a six months stay, following which he was again in California for two years. In 1895 he returned to Whatcom county and in partnership with his brother-in-law, Michael Larson, bought a quarter section of land that included his present farm, which now comprises thirty-five acres. In those early days the old Telegraph road was the only highway leading north from Bellingham, and the nearest road to his land was the Axton road, which was in such poor condition that he could not get through on it with his team. About five acres of his land had been cleared and there was a small log house on the place, but the remainder of the land had not even been logged. The timber was practically of no value to him, as there was no local demand for logs or shingle bolts, so he was under the necessity of burning much fine timber. He now has about thirty acres of his land cleared and in cultivation, the remainder being pasture land. When he first came here money was scarce and he had to barter in order to procure what he desired, and he frequently worked out in order to secure a little ready money.
However, in the course of time conditions improved, and during later years Mr. Petersen has been getting along very well, his earnest efforts being rewarded with a very fine measure of success. He is now giving his attention largely to dairy and poultry farming, keeping four good grade cows and about a thousand chickens, in the handling of which he has been very successful. Indomitable energy, untiring perseverance and sound judgment have been the contributing elements to his prosperity and have earned for him the sincere respect of his fellow citizens. He has built a good set of farm buildings, including up-to-date chicken houses, and he is very comfortably situated.
In 1919 Mr. Petersen was married to Mrs. Michael (Downs) Pool, who came to this country about 1916. After the death of his brother-in-law his sister had kept house for him for many years. By a straightforward and commendable course, Mr. Petersen has made his way from a somewhat humble environment to a respectable and independent position, earning a reputation as an enterprising, progressive man of affairs and a broadminded, upright citizen, so that today he stands deservedly high in the confidence and good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 9-10
Among those who have by virtue of their strong individual qualities earned their way to a high standing in the esteem of their fellow citizens is Jens Petersen, of Ferndale township, who has by persistency and sheer force of character won a place of prominence in the community. He is a man who would have won his way in any locality where fate might have placed him, for he has sound judgment, combined with great energy, business tact and upright principles, all of which make for definite success. Mr. Petersen is a native of Denmark, born on the 21st of April, 1874, and is a son of Nels and Maren Petersen. Both parents also were natives of Denmark, where the father died in 1883, while the mother is still living there, at the age of eighty-two years.
Jens Petersen attended the public schools in his native land and at the age of fourteen years was confirmed in the Lutheran church. He was employed at farm work for eight years, but in 1896 he turned his attention to other pursuits, going to work in a sugar factory at Nujkoburg, Falster, where he was employed for three years, receiving several promotions in the factory. He became at the same time an expert wood worker, making and exhibiting many specimens of his work, on which he took prizes. In 1906 he exhibited a collection of various specimens and won a silver medal against strong competition. In that year Mr. Petersen came to the United States, locating at Ferndale, Whatcom county, where for about three years he worked for his brother, Peter, after which for three years they were in partnership on a dairy ranch. In 1910 Mr. Petersen bought forty acres of land, two miles northeast of Ferndale, but before he could begin its cultivation he was compelled to clear it of a dense growth of brush and timber. He has developed this place into a valuable and well improved ranch, which he still operates. He built a good barn in 1913 and a fine, modern house in 1917, while in 1924 he built a fine chicken house, seventy feet long. He keeps five hundred laying hens, twelve good cows and seven head of young stock. The cultivated land is devoted to hay, grain and root crops, of which he raises abundant crops. Mr. Petersen is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, the Whatcom County Poultry Association, the Grange, the Whatcom County Farm Bureau and the Non-Partisan League. He has worked hard to bring his farm up to a high standard of excellence, and he has over four thousand feet of drain tile on his land, a part of which was swamp land when he acquired it.
On July 10, 1921, Mr. Petersen was married to Miss Anna Hornum, who was born in Denmark, a daughter of Niels Chris Jensen and Johanna (Anderson) Hornum, both of whom were natives of Denmark. The father is still living, but the mother passed away in 1887. They were the parents of three children: Anna, Chris and Johanna. Mr. and Mrs. Petersen have two children: Mary J., born March 3, 1922, and Nina Catherine, born January 9, 1924. Mr. Petersen is a man of fine personal qualities, genial and friendly in his social relations, and has long held an exalted place in the esteem of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 941-942
Peterson, Albert V. A.
Among the men of enterprise and determination who are pushing forward the wheels of progress in Whatcom county is numbered Albert V. A. Peterson, president of the Citizens Bank of Ferndale, and also an able attorney. He was born September 22, 1885, and received his higher education in the University of Minnesota, from which he was graduated in 1909 with the degree of LL.B. After his admission to the bar Mr. Peterson located at Aneta, North Dakota, and practiced in that state for nine years with much success, handling important litigated interests. He was elected a member of the state legislature in 1914, serving one term, and then moved to Whitehall, Wisconsin, where he practiced his profession until 1922. He arrived in Bellingham, Washington, in that year and is now a resident of Ferndale.
The Citizens Bank was founded in 1919 and opened for business on December 31 of that year as a state bank. The first officers were H. M. Erickson, president; C. B. Legoe, vice president; and R. M. Jensen, cashier. Among the directors were E. W. Swanson, Frank M. Peterson, Walter Jensen, M. S. Brooks and George Hamilton. On January 1, 1921, H. M. Erickson sold his interest to Albert V. A. Peterson, who has since been the executive head of the bank, and on the death of C. B. Legoe in 1923 M. S. Brooks was called to the vice presidency. At present Julius A. Shields is a director and vice president, succeeding M. S. Brooks. The institution has a paid up capital of twenty-five thousand dollars and is housed in its own building, a cement structure, supplied with modern vaults and all the equipment of an up-to-date bank. Mr. Peterson is well versed in the details of modern finance and his legal acumen is also a valuable asset to the institution, which is making good progress under his wise guidance.
On June 15, 1912, Mr. Peterson married Miss Edna Torson, of Whitehall, Wisconsin, and they now have two daughters, Elaine Jewel and Grace Evelyn, aged respectively nine and three years. Mr. Peterson casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. He is a Royal Arch Mason and is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He has thoroughly allied his interests with those of the state of his adoption, and his integrity, ability and public spirit have established him high in the esteem of all with whom he has been associated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 522
Peterson, George S.
Industrious, ambitious and capable, George S. Peterson has advanced far on the highway which leads to success and now occupies an enviable place in business circles of Ferndale. He is active in public affairs and is also numbered among the progressive agriculturists of the county. He was born August 4, 1881, in the state of Minnesota, and is a son of N. P. and Emma Peterson, who arrived in Ferndale in 1901. For a number of years the father operated a ranch in this locality but is now living retired in Bellingham.
George S. Peterson came to Whatcom county in 1900, when a young man of nineteen, and gained the start in life by working in lumber camps. He acquired practical knowledge of the lumber industry and later aided in establishing a mill at Ferndale. He was connected with the plant for three years and then joined his brothers, Ernest and Edward, in starting a shingle mill at Columbia, where he spent a year. He then began speculating in farm land. He now has a tract of one hundred and twenty acres and has cleared and developed eighty acres, devoted to general farming. He brings to the cultivation of the soil intelligence and efficiency, which are the basis of all success, and adds to his income by the raising of chickens. His place is well improved and his work is conducted along systematic lines. In 1923 in association with Charles Holeman and Ellsworth Unick he organized the Mountain View Lumber Company, and as a result of their combined efforts the business has enjoyed a steady growth. The mill has a capacity of eight thousand feet per day and its output is sold principally to railroads. The firm is prompt and dependable in executing orders and the industry mirrors the progressive spirit and high principles of the men at its head.
In 1907 Mr. Peterson married Miss Sophie Omli, a native of Minnesota and a daughter of Thomas Omli, one of the early settlers of Whatcom county. To this union have been born five children, four daughters and one son, namely: Olga, Clara, Esther, Victor and Anna. Mr. Peterson was road boss for two terms and is now serving for a second term on the board of township supervisors, of which he was chairman in 1924. He is an earnest and untiring worker for the good of his community and holds a secure place in public confidence and esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 553
The record of Peter Peterson is that of a man who by his own unaided efforts has worked his way from a modest beginning to a position of independence and influence in his community. His life has been one of unceasing industry and perseverance and the sound business principle and honorable methods which he has followed have won for him the unbounded confidence of his fellow citizens of Ferndale township. Mr. Peterson is a native of Denmark, in which country he first saw the light of day, May 17, 1867, and is a son of Nels and Maren Peterson, both of whom were natives of that country, where they spent their lives, the father dying in 1883, while the mother is still living there, at the age of eighty-two years.
Peter Peterson secured his educational training in the excellent schools of his native country and remained at home until 1889, when he emigrated to the United States. He first located in Illinois, where he engaged in farming, remaining there nine years. In 1898 he came to Whatcom county and bought a small ranch at Aldergrove, which he sold the following year. He then worked for Mrs. Matz on her river ranch near Ferndale for two years, and next bought twenty-two acres of land also along the river, which he farmed for a years and then sold. During the following three years he operated the Matz ranch, which he had rented, and then rented eighty acres of Thomas Slater, south of Ferndale. He cleared most of that land and continued to farm it for nine years, at the end of which time he bought twenty-seven acres, partly cleared, near Ferndale. He cultivated that tract for six years, adding ten acres to it, and in 1920 sold that place and bought fifteen acres located a half mile north of Ferndale. He is still operating this tract, which he has practically cleared and nicely improved with a good set of farm buildings. He also leases forty acres of land, which he farms in connection with his own ranch. He keeps twelve good grade cows and five hundred chickens, while the land is devoted to diversified crops, in the raising of which he has met with success. He is thoroughly practical in everything he does, knows no such word as fail, and has brought his place to an excellent state of improvement in every respect. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, the Whatcom County Poultry Association and the Whatcom County Farm Bureau.
In March, 1920, Mr. Peterson was married to Mrs. Christense (Hong) Anderson, daughter of Peter K. and Ragnhild (Glosmodt) Hong, both of whom were natives of Norway. They came to the United States in 1876, locating in Minnesota, where he took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres. They continued to live thee until 1910, when they came to Whatcom county, the father buying fifty-five acres of land near Ferndale, all of which, except about ten acres, was cleared and which is now one of the best farms in that locality. In 1921 Mr. Hong leased the land to his son, Philip, who is now cultivating it. To P. K. and Ragnhild Hong were born seven children, Knut, Christense, Ben, Melvin, Philip, Theodore and Pearl. Mr. Peterson has four step-children, Alverra, Ruth, Floyd and Blanche Anderson. In every relation of life Mr. Peterson has been true and loyal, giving his support to all measures for the betterment of the community and maintaining courteous and accommodating relations with his neighbors, while in all his social intercourse he is kindly and genial. Because of these estimable qualities, he has long held an enviable place in the confidence and respect of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 797
Peterson, Peter M.
Peter M. Peterson, one of the veteran business men of Bellingham, is the proprietor of a well kept jewelry shop on Harris avenue. He has been established in business here for more than twenty years and is one of the best known men in the city.
Mr. Peterson is a native of Sweden but has been a resident of this country since the days of his boyhood. He was born April 16, 1875, a son of P. O. and Martha B. Peterson, and he was early bereft by the death of his father. In 1883, when he was eight years of age, he came with his widowed mother to the United States and they settled in Iowa, where they remained until 1891, when they came to Washington and located at Port Townsend. In 1902 they took up their residence in the Fairhaven section of the present city of Bellingham, which ever since has been their home. Mrs. Peterson is now nearing the ninetieth year of her age and is one of the honored pioneer mothers of the community.
During the period of his residence in Iowa, Peter M. Peterson attended the schools of that state, and as a lad he learned the rudiments of the jeweler's trade. In 1903, the year following his arrival at Fairhaven and the year in which the consolidation between the settlements was effected under the present corporate name of Bellingham, Mr. Peterson bought the jewelry establishment of W. D. Wescott, and he has ever since been engaged in business here, now having a well stocked and well appointed place of business at No. 1109 Harris avenue. He is a republican in politics, and he is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 113