The foreign born citizens of Whatcom county have had a very large and important share in the development and upbuilding of this locality, and among those of this class who have built up highly creditable reputations and distinguished themselves by right and honorable living is K. Radder, whose splendid farm is located in Lynden township. Mr. Radder was born in Holland in 1862 and is a son of C. and Jennette (Van Geest) Radder, both of whom spent their lives and died in their native land, where the father had for many years been a traveling peddler. Our subject secured his education in the schools of his home neighborhood and then for a few years was employed at various occupations. In 893 he came to the United States and homesteaded a tract of land in North Dakota, to the operation of which he devoted himself for seventeen years, but he finally decided that the winters were too cold, and in 1910 he came to Lynden, Whatcom county, and bought forty-one acres of land near the river. The tract had been partly cleared, but there were still many logs and stumps to remove before the land could be plowed. He developed that place into a good farm and lived there until 1921, when he sold it and bought twenty acres of land where he now lives. Here he has made a number of fine improvements, including a new and modern house, and the family is very comfortably situated. He gives his attention chiefly to dairying, keeping ten high grade Holstein cows. On his former ranch he raised large crops of grain as well as hay, but on his present place hay is the only field crop.
Mr. Radder is married and has eleven children, namely: Mrs. J. Haverman, of Norwood, who is the mother of two sons; Leonard, who is married and has a daughter; Harry, who is married and has three children; Cornelius, who is married and has two daughters; Mrs. Effie Kroontje, who is the mother of four children; Mrs. Cora Coster, who is the mother of a son; Mrs. Fanny Trost, who has a son; Mrs. Annie Blankenforth, who also has a son; and William, Peter and Jennette, who are at home. All but the first named are residents of Lynden. Mr. Radder is a member of the First Reformed Christian church, to which he gives liberal support. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is active in the support of all measures calculated to better the interests of the farmers, poultrymen and dairymen of the community. In fact, he stands for all that is best in the everyday life of the locality where he lives, being an earnest advocate and a fine exemplar of right living, and possesses to a marked degree those qualities of character which characterize the ideal citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 877-878
Among the successful farmers and prominent citizens of Ten Mile township, Whatcom county, is Joseph Rainford, who commands to a marked degree the respect and confidence of the people generally. The qualities of keen discrimination, sound judgment and general business ability that enter very largely into his make-up have been contributing elements to the material success which has crowned his efforts. A native of England, he was born in Liverpool in 1869 and is a son of George and Sarah (Mills) Rainford, the latter of whom died in her native land.
George Rainford was a ship carpenter, and he followed the sea for eighteen years, making thirteen trips from Liverpool to Calcutta, his first voyage at sea having been made at the age of seventeen. He was aboard the ships transporting troops during the Crimean war, and he made a voyage to Calcutta before England took possession of it. In 1871 he came to the United States and located in Chicago, where soon afterward he lost all his working tools in the great fire of that year. He then traveled to all parts of the country, stopping wherever he could obtain employment, building barges and doing other mechanical work of any sort that he could find. About 1885 he came to Whatcom county and homesteaded the present home farm, walking all the way from Idaho to Tacoma, with a pack on his back. The land was wild and heavily timbered, but he applied himself with vigor to the improvement of the place and in the course of time cleared about twenty-five acres. Conditions in the locality were primitive, the only entrance to the place being over the old Telegraph road, which runs through the property. Wild animals were numerous, especially bears, but they soon disappeared before the onward march of civilization. Much fine timber had to be burned, as at that time there was no market for it. The homestead has been well improved in many respects and is now a well equipped and valuable farm.
Mr. Rainford devotes his attention mainly to dairying, shipping his milk to the Carnation plant at Everson, to which he has been hauling milk for seventeen years, collecting it in his locality. He also does considerable miscellaneous hauling. In former days, before they shipped their milk, Mrs. Rainford churned, often making three hundred pounds of butter a month. They keep seven good grade cows, for which they raise all the required feed on their own land. Our subject has lived on this place continuously for a period of nearly forty years, and he has been a witness of the splendid development of this locality.
In April, 1907, Joseph Rainford was married to Mrs. Minnie L. Clifton, nee Martine, who was born in Iowa but was reared in Missouri. She is a daughter of J. F. and Mary Ann (Schofield) Martine, both of whom were natives of New York city. On the paternal side Mrs. Rainford is descended from sterling old French Huguenot stock, while her maternal ancestors were early colonists in this country, having received a land grant from George III. By her first marriage Mrs. Rainford became the mother of three children, namely: Mrs. LaPerria Morgan, of Kirkland; Harold of Ten Mile, who married Miss Nora Lavery of Olympia, and is the father of two children, Donald and Joseph; and Mary, of Seattle. To Mr. and Mrs. Rainford have been born three children, Josephine, Lloyd and Orville, all of whom are at home.
Mr. Rainford has long been active in connection with local public affairs, having served as ditch commissioner and as a member of the school board. He helped to clear the Kirkland townsite and in early days donated a good many days of labor to the construction of the roads in this locality. Fraternally he is a member of the Woodmen of the World and was formerly a member of Everson Lodge No. 200, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a man of acknowledged business ability and sterling qualities of character, being kindly and generous in his attitude toward benevolent and charitable objects and genial and friendly in all his social relations.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 218-221
Raper, James M.
All honor is due those sturdy pioneers who braved the hardships and dangers of frontier life and planted the seeds of civilization in hitherto undeveloped regions. Of this type was James M. Raper, for thirty years a resident of Rome township and one of the first to develop its rich agricultural resources. He was a gallant Union soldier, a good citizen and a man of high moral character, respected and admired by all with whom he was brought in contact. Mr. Raper was a son of John and Anne (Hayes) Raper and was born in Wayne county, Indiana, in 1845. His father was also a Hoosier and was born September 4, 1815. The paternal grandparents migrated from Virginia to Indiana in 1806, traveling in an oxcart, and were among the earliest settlers of Wayne county. They established their home in the midst of a forest, and there John Raper spent his life, developing one of the finest farms in the county.
James M. Raper was educated in the public schools of Indiana and aided his father in the work of tilling the soil. When a youth of sixteen he tried to enlist in the Union army but was rejected owing to his age. He was accepted in June, 1861, becoming a member of Company K, of the Seventeenth Indiana Mounted Infantry, a unit of Wilder's Brigade, of Civil war fame, and remained in the service until August, 1865, never faltering in the performance of his duties. After the restoration of peace Mr. Raper returned to Indiana and served an apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade, which he followed for a number of years as a journeyman. After his marriage he embarked in the contracting business at Frankfort, Indiana, and was thus engaged for about five years, doing much important work as a city builder. In 1884 he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and homesteaded a quarter section of Rome township, in which he was among the first to take up land. The hills were crowned with dark green forests and nature presented a wild and beautiful aspect. In 1888 he built a home of logs which he had hewed, and his widow is still residing in this house, which is one of the oldest in the county. He also constructed the floor of hewn logs, as no lumber could be obtained in the locality in those early days, and he obtained three windows and two doors for the dwelling by carrying them on his back for a distance of four miles, most of the journey being uphill. His land was covered with brush and trees and he was obliged to exert every effort to clear the place and prepare the soil for the growing of crops. Mr. Raper was a man of determination and energy and overcame many obstacles and difficulties, eventually transforming the place into a productive farm, to which he was constantly adding modern improvements. He planted a fine orchard and raised many varieties of fruit in addition to vegetables and grain. He was an expert agriculturist and his progressive spirit made him a leader in the farming community of his district, to which he rendered valuable service. He continued to operate the homestead until January, 1914, when he was removed from his sphere of usefulness, and his death was deeply mourned by a wide circle of sincere friends as well as the members of his family, for he possessed a lovable nature and was one of the most companionable of men.
At Westport, Illinois, October 15, 1879, Mr. Raper was married to Miss Mary Hanes, who was born in Port Jackson, that state. She was educated at the Vincennes University of Vincennes, Indiana, and taught several terms of school in Lawrence county, Illinois, before her marriage to Mr. Raper. Her parents were Samuel and Mary A. (Goff) hanes, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter a Kentuckian. Mr. hanes was one of the early settlers of Illinois and engaged in farming on a large scale, owning six hundred and forty acres of valuable land. He also operated a grist mill in that state and was the proprietor of a general store. In 1865 he went to Indiana and for several years conducted the old American Hotel at Vincennes. He was a capable business man of the highest reputation and won success in all of his undertakings. He was called to his final rest in March, 1870 and Mrs. Hanes passed away in 1878. To their union were born eight children. Mr. and Mrs. Raper became the parents of four children. The eldest, Mrs. Edna Bean, was born May 10, 1883, in Frankfort, Indiana. Her husband is connected with the state fish hatcheries and owns a fine ranch situated just outside the city limits of Bellingham. They have a family of three children: Cyril, who was born March 6, 1905; Florence Marie, born October 6, 1906; and Truman, whose birth occurred on the 7th of June, 1909. Rollie F., born in Bellingham, October 14. 1888, is a bachelor and resides with his mother. J. Morton, born February 2, 1891, is also unmarried and has always lived on the homestead. He aids his brother Rollie in operating the ranch, and they are also associated in the logging business. George Raper, the youngest son, was born November 11, 1892, and passed away in December, 1921, when twenty-nine years of age.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 631-632
Raymond, Mrs. Abbie (Hurd)
Mrs. Abbie Hurd Raymond, a former member of the Bellingham school board, an experienced music teacher of many years' standing in this county and an officer of the Washington State Federation of Musical Clubs, past president of the Bellingham Musical Club and one of the best known women in Whatcom county, has been a resident here for more than twenty-five years. She was born in the maritime province of Nova Scotia, in the Dominion of Canada, and was but an infant when her parents, Robert G. and Margaret (Malone) Hurd, came with their family to the United States and settled on a farm in Platte county, Nebraska. In 1900 R. G. Hurd closed out his affairs in Nebraska and came to Whatcom county, where he engaged in the dairy business in association with L. J. Ford. Later he became proprietor of a ranch about four miles out of Bellingham and is now living there. Of the ten children born to him and his wife four still are living, Mrs. Raymond having three sisters, Mrs. L. J. Ford of Bellingham, Mrs. Charles Yule of Bellingham and Miss Irene Hurd of Everett.
Reared in Nebraska, Abbie Hurd early evinced unusual aptitude for musical expression and her studies along that line were directed with care. Her schooling was completed in the Nebraska State Normal School at Fremont and for three years in her home state she was engaged in teaching school. In 1899 she came to Washington and during the following winter was a teacher in the schools of Mt. Vernon, and in October, 1900, married F. R. Raymond. In 1911 Mrs. Raymond began teaching music in Bellingham and has since been thus engaged, the pipe organ and piano being her specialties. For five or six years she was organist in the Broadway Presbyterian church and is now organist of the First Baptist church. During the term 1922-24 she was president of the Bellingham musical Club and is now (1926) first vice president of the Washington State Federation of Musical Clubs, being widely known in musical circles throughout the state.
Mrs. Raymond has three sons, Harold Eugene, Julian Hurd and Fred Randolph Raymond, all of whom attended high school and the two elder finished their studies in the University of Washington. Fred R. Raymond received an appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1924 but because of a slight visual defect was rejected. Mrs. Raymond is a member of the First Baptist church and of the Twentieth Century Club and is affiliated with the Maple Leaf chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. She has ever given thoughtful attention to local social and cultural affairs and during the term 1920-23 rendered effective public service as a member of the Bellingham school board.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 458
Reed, Conner O.; M.D.
Well equipped for the exacting work of his profession, Dr. Conner O. Reed is making rapid progress toward the goal of success and has become firmly established in the regard of Bellingham's citizens as an able physician and surgeon. He was born in the state of Kentucky on the 31st of March, 1881, and is a son of Arthur J. and Cassandra (Conner) Reed, the latter also a native of the Blue Grass state. The father was born in New York and is one of the leading attorneys of Lexington, Kentucky, but the mother passed away in 1904.
Dr. Reed attended the public schools of his native state and the David Chenault preparatory school, also taking a course in the Kentucky State College. He was graduated from the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1904 and in the same year began his professional career in Bellingham, Washington. In 1906 he moved to San Juan county, this state where he practiced until 1917, and then enlisted in the United States Medical Corps. He was assigned to duty with the Seventh Cavalry at Fort Russell, Wyoming, going from there to the presidio at San Francisco, and for a year was with the Eighth Division at Camp Fremont, California. He was commissioned a first lieutenant and rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel. Dr. Reed spent seventeen months in the service of his country and in January, 1918, received his honorable discharge. Returning to Whatcom county, he opened an office in Bellingham and now enjoys a large general practice.
On April 18, 1906, Dr. Reed married Miss Mary E. Shawler, a native of Kentucky and a daughter of Malachi Shawler. To this union have been born six children: Connor O., Jr., Caroline T., Arthur H., Virginia, Elizabeth and Charles. Dr. Reed is a republican in his political views and for two years was a member of the Bellingham board of education. He is surgeon of the local post of the American Legion, also a member of its executive committee, and is likewise executive officer of the Three Hundred and Twenty-first Medical Regiment, attached to the Ninety-sixth Division. Along fraternal lines he is connected with the Masonic order, the Elks, the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. An earnest student of his profession, he keeps in touch with its progress through wide reading and also through his affiliation with the Whatcom County and Washington State Medical Societies and the American Medical Association.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 393-394
Reed, James K. P.
Of the surviving pioneers of Whatcom county there are few names better known than that of James K. P. Reed, veteran of the Civil war and one of the honored octogenarians of the county, now living retired in Bellingham, where he has made his home for more than twenty-five years. Coming here in 1872, he became a homesteader in Ten Mile township, and his interests have ever centered here, having witnessed the development of this now flourishing community from the days when the wilderness held sway here. When in a reminiscent mood he has some very interesting tales to tell of the days when the forest was king and when its depths wild animals had their lairs and the white man contended with the Indian for the favorite hunting and fishing grounds.
Mr. Reed is a native of the old Keystone state, born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, in 1845, but his parents were New Yorkers and of colonial families. When he was twelve years of age his parents moved with their family to Knox county, Illinois, where he was living in the spring of 1861 when the Civil war broke out. Though only seventeen years of age he enlisted in 1862 in behalf of the Union cause; was accepted and went to the front as a soldier with Company I of the One Hundred and Second Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with which command he was serving when six months later he was given an honorable discharge by reason of disability incurred in service and returned to his home. His father was a wagon maker and for some time he was employed at the same vocation, working in connection with his father, and during that time he also rendered public service as deputy constable under his father, who was constable of the township. In 1869 Mr. Reed went to Iowa and was there employed in the coal mines until in 1872 when, attracted by the good word then coming east concerning the desirability of lands for settlement in this section of the northwest country, he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and homesteaded a tract of land in Ten Mile township, settling down to the task of clearing the same and making a farm of it. He aided others in clearing their land, working for some time for Edward Eldridge, and he was also connected with logging operations, but after his marriage in 1885 he established his home on his farm in Ten Mile township and there remained until his retirement in 1899, when he removed to Bellingham, where he since has made his home, he and his wife now residing at 1415 J street. Not long after taking up his residence in Bellingham Mr. Reed was janitor of the old Central school for two years, and was for a time janitor of the Columbia school, but of late years he has been practically retired from active labor.
It was on May 21, 1885, at the home of the bride in Ten Mile township, that Mr. Reed was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Norling, and they have two children: Esther, who is the wife of Percy Ross of Bellingham and has a son, Melvin; and Artrude Reed, now living in California, who married Mary Hull and has a son, Artrude, Jr. Mrs. Minnie Reed was born in the kingdom of Sweden and was sixteen years of age when her father, Eric Norling, disposed of his affairs there and with his family came to Washington and settled on a homestead farm in Ten Mile township, Whatcom county, in the same neighborhood in which Mr. Reed had his farm. Upon his retirement from the farm Eric Norling moved to Everson and there his last days were spent. Two of Mrs. Reed's sisters still are living there. Mrs. Reed is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and for years has been one of the active members of the Woman's Relief Corps. Mr. Reed is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, with which patriotic organization he became identified during his stay in Iowa more than fifty years ago, and in former years was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 846-849
Reeve, Fredrick C.
Fredrick C. Reeve, the proprietor of a well improved dairy farm near Blaine, has been a resident of this state for more than twenty years and is thus thoroughly familiar with conditions here. He was formerly a representative in the legislature from Whatcom County and is at present a member of the board of supervisors in and for Custer township, this county.
Mr. Reeve was born on a farm in Iowa County in southwestern Wisconsin, April 21, 1868, and is a son of George C. and Mary (Hayes) Reeve, both natives of England, the former born in the city of London and the latter in Liverpool. They were married in Wisconsin, of which state George C. Reeve had become a resident in 1844 and his wife in 1846. The former, who died in 1893, was a son of Charles Reeve, one of Wisconsin's foremost pioneers, who upon coming to America with his family in 1844 had established himself on a quarter section homestead tract in what is now Iowa county, Wisconsin, and who was a member of the territorial legislature when in 1848 Wisconsin was admitted to statehood. He also was the first superintendent of schools in his home county, was a merchant as well as a farmer and was a man of large influence in the formative days of his locality. Mrs. Mary (Hayes) Reeve, who died in 1903, was a daughter of one of the pioneers of Dane county, Wisconsin, and she was the first school teacher in that county.
Reared on the home farm in Iowa County, F. C. Reeve attended the local schools in the neighborhood, which was so largely German in population that he and his sister were the only children in the school born of English speaking parents. When he was eighteen years of age he became associated with an older brother in the milling and merchandise business in Brownsville, Iowa, and he was there married when twenty-four years of age. He remained at that place until 1903, when he closed out his interests there and came to Washington, settling on what is now the Edward Jones place in Mountain View township, this county. About fifteen acres of that tract had then been cleared, and he cleared twenty-five acres more before he sold it in 1912. He then resided for a while in Seattle, where he was engaged in the fuel business, and in 1918 he bought his present place in Custer township, where he has since been living, being engaged principally in dairying and poultry raising. He has a good herd of dairy cattle and something more than nine hundred white Leghorn chickens, and he is doing well in his operations. Mr. Reeve was one of the early promoters of the Whatcom County Dairy Association, having been long a director of that body, and he is now serving as its president. He also is an influential member of the Poultry Association. In politics he is a republican and has ever given his earnest attention to local civic affairs, long having been recognized as one of the leaders of that party in Whatcom County. During the sessions of the legislature in 1907 and 1909 he represented this county in the lower house of that body, and he now is serving his second term as a member of the board of supervisors of his home township. While residing in Iowa he was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
It was in 1892, while engaged in business in Brownsville, Iowa, that Mr. Reeve was united in marriage to Miss Nellie Gooder of that place. Mrs. Reeve is also a native of Wisconsin, having been born at Kansasville, that state, and she is a daughter of Alien and Eliza (Noble) Gooder. Mr. and Mrs. Reeve have a pleasant home in Custer township, and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the general social activities of their community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 103-104
Daniel Kilcup, Harry West and George Rehberger: These three men were products of the Fraser River Gold Rush, and afterward were associated in various occupations around New Westminster and Ft. Langley (Canada). Previously, George Rehberger had been with the boundary survey. All three married halfbreed sisters who were of the old Feledow family that settled at Ft. Langley about 1845, and were servants of the Hudson's Bay Company. Harry West and George Rehberger cam over to Whatcom about 1862 to work for the Bellingham Bay Coal Company, West as a millwright, and Rehberger as a carpenter.
Later, in 1863, they persuaded Daniel Kilcup to bring over his two yoke of oxen to haul logs for the sawmill at Whatcom Creek Falls. He drove these oxen over the old Indian trails from Ft. Langley to Nooksack Crossing, and thence by the Whatcom Trail to Bellingham Bay. When the coal mines closed down sometime afterwards, these three men set out to locate homesteads. Now Kilcup, when he came over the old Langley trail, had noticed a considerable piece of prairie land in what has since been called the Timon District, so they explored that section and decided to settle there. This was in the late sixties. For some time all three men continued to work in Whatcom, but in 1873, when the mill burned down, Kilcup moved his family to the homestead, followed by the Wests and Rehbergers in 1878, after the coal mines closed permanently. These three families formed the nucleus of the Timon community.
Skqee Mus, R. E. Hawley, pub. 1945, pgs. 178-179
Reichert, William E.
Though a Pennsylvanian by birth and a middle westerner by rearing, William E. Reichert is now a rancher and orchardist in Mountain View township, proprietor of a well kept and profitably operated place on rural mail route No. 2 out of Ferndale. He has been a resident of Washington for almost forty years, covering much of the pioneer period as well as the era of later development. In association with his father he became connected with the lumber industry at Seattle in 1888, later transferred his operations to Whatcom county and has for years been one of the well known and substantial citizens of this county.
Mr. Reichert was born in the Keystone state March 21, 1867, and is a son of D. J. and Catherine (Sellinger) Reichert, both natives of Pennsylvania and members of old families there. The father was reared on a farm and upon attaining man's estate became a lumberman, presently moving from Pennsylvania to Michigan and thence to Wisconsin, engaged in the lumber industry in those states. He then went to Duluth, Minnesota, where he was located until 1888 when, attracted by the glowing stories then reaching points east, concerning the possibilities for development here, he closed out his interests in that city and established himself in the lumber milling industry at Ballard, now a part of Seattle. He became the owner of considerable tracts of timber land in various parts of the state and was for years a prominent figure in the lumber industry in Washington. D. J. Reichert died at his home in Seattle in February, 1894. He and his wife were the parents of eight children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the fourth in order of birth, the others being as follows: S. E., now living at Anacortes, who is married and has five children; Watson O., who died in 1869; George M., a soldier in the Philippines during the Spanish-American war, being killed in battle at Manila, February 5, 1899; Sylvester L. of Duluth, who is married and has three children; Ida May, who married J. A. Ritchie of Seattle and has twelve children; Harry W., who is now living in Portland, and Charles D. of Seattle, who is married and has two children.
William E. Reichert was twenty-one years of age when in 1888 he came with his father from Duluth to Seattle and for some years thereafter he was engaged with his father and his brothers in the lumber industry in that city. When the gold rush set in toward Alaska in the latter '90s he took a trip to the gold fields but presently returned and settled down in Whatcom county, becoming engaged in saw milling at Wickersham, where for about ten years he operated a sawmill and shingle mill with twelve hundred acres of timber land back of him. During the time of his residence at Wickersham he married and about three years later, in 1909, he and his wife established their home on their present place in Mountain View township, where they are very pleasantly situated. Mrs. Reichert owned here a tract of forty acres and Mr. Reichert bought an adjacent tract of eighty acres. On this he has a fine pear orchard of ten acres. He has about sixty acres of the place cleared and the remainder is devoted to a range for his sheep, of which he has a fine flock of seventy head or more, one of the few successful sheep men in the township.
On July 3, 1906, at Wickersham, Mr. Reichert was united in marriage to Mrs. Nellie L. (Morsman) Johns, widow of T. P. Johns, who died at his home in Cherry county, Nebraska, in 1899. Mrs. Reichert is a daughter of the late W. H. Morsman, who left Nebraska in 1888 and became one of the pioneers of Whatcom county. Mrs. Reichert is one of the seven children, two sons and five daughters, born to her parents. Her mother, Mrs. Maudena (Potter) Morsman, died in 1917 and her father in July, 1925. Both were natives of Vermont and members of old families of the Green Mountain state, whence they moved to Wisconsin, thence to Iowa and on to Nebraska, from which state in 1888 they came to Washington and here spent the remainder of their lives, useful pioneers of the Ferndale neighborhood.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 853-854
The European nations have furnished to the new world many men possessing the qualities of industry, determination and honesty, which constitute the basis of good citizenship, and of this type is Frederick Reichman, on of Bellingham's leading tailors. A son of Joseph and Dora Reichman, he was born September 10, 1887, and is a native of Austria. His mother resides in Germany but the father is deceased.
After laying aside his textbooks Frederick Reichman learned the tailor's trade, serving his apprenticeship in Hungary, and in 1903, when sixteen years of age, he came to the United States. He obtained employment in New York and spent several years in the east. In 1910 he went to California, and he followed his trade in several cities of the northwest. Mr. Reichman arrived in Bellingham, March 21, 1921, and opened a shop at No. 1305 Elk street, where he has since continued in business. He does fine tailoring, making both ladies' and men's suits, and employs four experienced workers. He is an artist in his line and his skill and good taste have brought him a liberal clientele, representing Bellingham's leading citizens.
Mr. Reichman was married January 12, 1924, to Miss Elma Yearing, of Australia, and to this union has been born a son, Frederick Thomas. Mr. Reichman is thoroughly American and demonstrated his loyalty to his adopted county by serving for a year and six months in France with the United States Heavy Artillery. He belongs to the American Legion and is also connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Masonic fraternity. He owes his allegiance to no party and casts his ballot for the candidate whom he considers best qualified for office. Mr. Reichman is a young man of broad views and progressive spirit, and his genuine worth has placed him high in the esteem of Bellingham's citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 115
Reid, Robert A. and Thomas W.
Thomas W. Reid, secretary of the Reid Brothers Company of Bellingham, proprietors of sheet metal and boiler works in South Bellingham and manufacturers of the widely known and justly popular "Economy" steam and hot water steel heating boilers, has been engaged in business here in association with his brother, Robert A. Reid, for more than a quarter of a century, during which period they have built up a business which has long given them high standing in the general commercial and industrial life of this community. The Reid brothers are Canadians, born in the maritime province of Prince Edward Island, and are sons of Thomas and Candis Reid, whose last days were spent in Bellingham, the former dying in 1922 and the latter in 1925. They were the parents of eight children, six of whom are living. In 1885, during the youth of Robert A. and Thomas Reid, the father moved with his family from Prince Edward Island to Cape Vincent, New York, and it was there that the brothers finished their schooling and learned the rudiments of the trade which in good time they exercised so advantageously.
It was in 1899 that R. A. and T. W. Reid came to Bellingham and established themselves in business here as boilermakers and sheet metal workers, setting up a plant at the foot of Harris avenue. As the demands of a growing business required they presently set up a new plant on Ocean Dock and there continued until 1915, when they bought their present site on Tenth street, between Filmore and Douglas streets, and erected an up-to-date plant occupying ground space one hundred by sixty feet, at the same time expanding their operations to meet the continually growing demand for the products of their factory. In 1905 this concern was incorporated as the Reid Brothers Company, of which Robert A. Reid is president and Thomas W. Reid secretary. They specialize in the manufacture of the "Economy" boiler, made of steel throughout, and with all joints electric are welded, leaving no lap joints or rivets to leak or corrode, and have thus created a product which has come to be in wide demand throughout the excellent trade area centering at Bellingham. Among the other products of this plant are steel tanks which are in wide demand among discriminating buyers.
Robert A. Reid, the elder of the brothers, was born in 1867 and was sixteen years of age when his parents moved from Prince Edward Island to Cape Vincent, New York. He was given a public school education and early turned his attention to sheet metal working, becoming a skilled craftsman. Attracted by the possibilities, then becoming so generally apparent, offered by settlement in this section of the northwest country, he and his brother came to Bellingham in 1899, where he has since been engaged in the manufacturing business. In 1895, at Winnipeg, Canada, R. A. Reid was united in marriage to Miss Etta Debman, who was born in England and became a resident of Winnipeg. They have one child, Russel E., who is associated with the operations of the Reid Brothers Company and who in 1920 married Miss Ronald Newlen of Ferndale, this county. Mr. Reid is a Knight Templar Mason, a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Rotary Club.
Thomas W. Reid was born September 24, 1869, and was thus about fourteen years of age when his parents moved from Prince Edward Island to Cape Vincent, New York, in which place he finished his education and grew to manhood, becoming a skilled worker in sheet metal and kindred products. In 1899, in association with his brother, he became engaged in the manufacturing business at Bellingham and their enterprise, progressive methods and the excellent workmanship of the plant has brought them continued and growing success. Thomas W. Reid is an active member of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and has long been recognized as one of the leaders in the general business affairs of the city.
In 1899, the year in which he became a resident of Whatcom county, Mr. Reid was united in marriage to Miss Imogene Turnbull of the state of New York, and they have a pleasant home in Bellingham. They are republicans and support all measures for public improvement. Mr. Reid is a member of the Washington Club, is a Knight Templar and Scottish Rite Mason and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine. He is also affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 734-735
Reilly, T. P.
A man who has long been prominent and influential in the advancement and prosperity of his section of Whatcom county, is T. P. Reilly, one of the most enterprising farmers of Ferndale township. His achievements represent the result of honest endeavor along lines where mature judgment has pointed the way. He possesses a weight of character, a native sagacity, a discriminating tact and a fidelity of purpose that command the respect of all with whom he has been associated and he has long held an enviable place in public esteem. Mr. Reilly was born in Richmond, Virginia, on the 12th of October, 1873, and is a son of Byran and Bridget (Irwin) Reilly, both natives of Ireland, and in their son are exemplified the characteristic traits of this sturdy race. The father came to the United States in 1852 and the mother in 1857. They located in Virginia, where they engaged in farming until 1878, when they went to Connelsville, Pennsylvania, where the father was for thirteen years employed in the coal mines. In the spring of 1891 he took his family to Tacoma, Washington, remaining there about a month and then bought and located on forty acres of land in Mountain View township, near Ferndale, Whatcom county. The land was heavily timbered and he at once set to work to clear the land and put it under cultivation. He succeeded in getting the most of it cleared and made that his home until his death, which occurred December 11, 1916. His wife passed away in April, 1895. They were the parents of three children, T. P., Mrs. Annie McCartin, who has three children, James, Henry and John; and Bernard, who was born in Pennsylvania, November, 1881, and died July 31, 1923, leaving three children, Marie, Agnes and Alice.
T. P. Reilly attended the public schools of Pennsylvania and at the age of twelve years went into the mines, being thus employed until 1891, when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Washington. He helped his father clear his ranch in Mountain View township and remained at home until his marriage, when he moved onto the ranch which his wife owned, being a part of the Jacob Matz homestead farm. This place is located along the Nooksack river, northeast of Ferndale, and is considered an unusually fine tract. In 1912 Mr. Reilly bought forty acres additional and in 1924 bought one hundred acres more of the Matz farm. The house, which was built on this property in 1879, at that time was considered one of the finest homes in Whatcom county. He now owns and farms two hundred acres of land, all of which is cleared excepting about fifteen acres. He keeps forty head of good cattle, some of which are pure-bred Holsteins, fifteen head of young stock and two pure-bred bulls. The land is devoted largely to hay and grain, the remainder being in pasture, while ten acres is in sugar beets. Oats and vetch are raised for the silos. The farm is maintained in the best condition, everything about the place being always in good order, and the ranch is recognized as one of the most valuable in this section of the county. Mr. Reilly is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and takes a deep interest in everything pertaining to the advancement of farming interests. He was one of the organizers of the Farmers Mutual Telephone Company of Whatcom County, the largest company of its kind in the United States, was its president for four years and still retains his stock in it. In these and many other ways he has shown his public spirit, always cooperating with his fellow citizens in the advancement of any measure calculated to benefit the people generally. A man of sound and mature judgment in matters of business, he is untiring in his efforts to maintain his ranch at the highest standard of excellence and has won a high reputation as an enterprising and progressive citizen.
On May 13, 1902, Mr. Reilly was married to Miss Josephine S. Matz, who was born and reared on the old Matz homestead near Ferndale, a daughter of Jacob and Thekla (Fleming) Matz. Her father was born in West Prussia, Germany, August 3, 1848, a son of Andrew and Mary (Panzke) Matz. The family came to the United States in 1869, settling in Minnesota, where Andrew Matz spent his remaining years, dying in 1901, his wife in 1913. Jacob Matz came to Washington, reaching Bellingham Bay November 21, 1872, and took up a preemption claim to one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 9, Ferndale township, and 1873 filed on a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on sections 4 and 9, close by his first tract. He cleared two hundred acres of this land, developed a splendid homestead and devoted himself to its operation until 1912, when he sold and retired from active business life, moving to a comfortable home in Ferndale, where he is now living. He was one of the first six men to begin farming operations in Whatcom county and during all of the subsequent years he has worthily borne his share of the duties of citizenship and contributed to the development and upbuilding of the county. He was married to Thekla Fleming, also a native of Germany and a daughter of Mathias and Rosalia (Kahnke) Fleming, and they became the parents of three children: Joseph, of Bellingham, who married Miss Ida McDermott and has six children; Josephine, (Mrs. Reilly); and Albert, of Ferndale, who married Miss Eva M. Diedrich and has three children. To Mr. and Mrs. Reilly have been born ten children; Leo A., who was born February 7, 1903, and died April 9, 1909; Mary B., born August 5, 1904; James B., July 21, 1906; John T., July 13, 1908; Cecilia T., September 22, 1910; Anthony H., who was born June 14, 1913, and died in infancy; Theresa P., born October 22, 1914; Maurice J., April 21, 1918; Loretta V., May 29, 1919; and Patricia E., July 30, 1922. Mr. and Mrs. Reilly are contemplating turning over about half of their estate to the two oldest children, giving them a chance to demonstrate their ability to handle it. They have leased a part of the ranch, on which they have two complete sets of farm buildings, and are now taking things a little more leisurely. In every relation of life they have proved their genuine worth and have fully merited the place which they hold in the confidence and respect of the entire community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 500-501