Rodenberger, I. D.
A true type of the western pioneer, I. D. Rodenberger has aided in pushing forward the wheels of progress in Rome township, in which he has resided for nearly four decades, and at the age of seventy-seven years he is still vigorous and active, owning and operating one of the finest farms in this part of the county. He was born October 10, 1848, in Indianapolis, Indiana, and his parents, Peter and Barbara (Anderson) Rodenberger, were also natives of that state. In their family were nine children, two of whom survive, I. D. and Mrs. Flora Tallman.
I. D. Rodenberger was educated in the public schools of Iowa and worked on farms until his marriage. He then secured a tract of land and continued to follow agricultural pursuits in the Hawkeye state until 1887, when he came to northwestern Washington, arriving in Whatcom county in March of that year. In May, 1887, he took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in section 6, Rome township, which was then a frontier district containing only a few settlers. There were no roads and he experienced many difficulties in removing the timber and brush from his ranch. He obtained his supplies from Whatcom and carried them on his back, making his way slowly along the narrow, uneven trail. He had learned the carpenter's trade in Iowa and followed that occupation for three years in Bellingham and vicinity, aiding the early settlers in clearing and improving their farms. In his wife Mr. Rodenberger found a true helpmate, and with her assistance he built a road to the homestead. During those trying days she not only attended to her manifold household duties but also spent many hours on a springboard, pulling a crosscut saw with her husband in order to facilitate the work of cutting the timber on their place. Their first dwelling was made of split cedar logs and in this primitive fashion they lived for some time. About 1895 Mr. Rodenberger built the substantial frame house in which they now reside, but the old log cabin remains on the ranch and is still in good condition. He retains sixty-five acres of the original tract, on which he has a fine orchard, and hay is his principal crop. He has ten Jersey cows of good stock and a registered Jersey bull. His place is improved with good buildings and his son Charles assists in cultivating the farm, which is operated along scientific lines.
On February 21, 1876, Mr. Rodenberger was married, in Iowa, to Miss Sarah Whaley, who was born in Ashtabula, Ohio. Her parents were John and Rosan (Moore) Whaley, the latter a native of Belfast, Ireland. Mr. Whaley was born in London, England, and came to the United States in 1844, when sixteen years old. He lived in Ohio until 1854 and then cast in his lot with the pioneer settlers of Hamilton county, Iowa. He developed a valuable farm and spent the remainder of his life in the Hawkeye state. He was the father of thirteen children and five are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Rodenberger became the parents of seven children, but John, the first born, died in infancy. His sister, Mrs. Maud Hendrickson, has three children: Vera, Floyd and Hughie. Charles owns and cultivates a ranch of twenty-three acres, formerly a portion of the homestead, and has a wife and three daughters: Irene, Lorena and Annetta. David lives in Portland, Oregon, and is also married. He has a wife and two children: Ira and Claud. Mrs. Mabel Kauffman is also living in Whatcom county and has three children: Rosan, Orial and Ladona. Glen, the youngest member of the family, makes his home on Orcas island and has a wife and five children: George, Genevieve, Marice, Martha and Ralph.
Mr. Rodenberger is in favor of good roads and better schools, lending the weight of his support to every worthy public project. Time has dealt kindly with him and he has found life well worth the living, making the most of it day by day. All that he now possesses has been acquired by his own exertions, and a frank, open nature and genial disposition have drawn to him many sincere friends, in whose society he finds much enjoyment.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 572-573
Roeder, Captain Henry
Captain Henry Roeder, who perhaps properly may be regarded as the "father" of Whatcom county, even as he was the founder of the Bellingham settlement, and concerning whom further and fitting mention is made on other pages of this work, together with details relating to his labors as a community builder, was of European birth but had been a resident of this country since the days of his childhood, reared in the old Buckeye state, and thus ever considered himself as stout an American as though indeed "native and to the manor born," as the poet has it. Considering the fact that much is elsewhere related concerning this sturdy pioneer, the salient details of his life and service will be touched upon but briefly in this connection. He was born July 4, 1824, in the town of Herstadt in the old landgraviate and electorate of Hesse-Cassel, which in 1815 became a part of the Germanic confederation, and he was six years of age when in 1830 his parents came to the United States with their family and settled in the Sandusky country along the lake in Erie county, Ohio, becoming numbered among the pioneers of that region.
When he was sixteen years of age Henry Roeder became a sailor on the Great Lakes and was thus engaged for about ten years. In 1850 he accompanied a party across the plains and mountains into California and was for a time engaged in the quest for gold but, like many others, he soon found that this was a somewhat precarious means of seeking a livelihood and presently became connected with the fisheries industry on the Sacramento. While thus occupied he heard of the great fisheries on the Columbia, and he made a trip of investigation in that direction, arriving in Portland in December, 1852. It was there that the project of lumber development attracted his attention, and he sought a mill site at Olympia. He found the water power there engaged, and he then turned his attention to the water power at the mouth of Whatcom creek in Bellingham bay. In 1853 he established there a sawmill that proved the nucleus around which gathered the settlement which in proper and normal course developed into the present city of Bellingham, all of which is told at length in the proper relation to its historical perspective elsewhere in this history of the region whose interests he did so much to develop. Upon settling here Captain Roeder secured a donation claim to a considerable tract of land fronting on the bay and with the gradual expansion of the community this realty proved the foundation for a quite generous fortune, for the land was right in the path of the town's normal growth and became valuable for townsite purposes. In addition to his large timber and realty interests Captain Roeder had a part in much other development work and was connected with very nearly every important enterprise that was projected in the community during the days of his activity as a business man. He also took an interested part in civic affairs and was for eight successive terms a member of the territorial legislature, representative from this district, and in that capacity rendered a service of very real value to the commonwealth. Captain Roeder died in 1902 and at his passing left a good memory, for he had been true to all the relations of life.
On February 10, 1856, at Olympia, Captain Roeder was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Austin, a member of one of the old colonial families of the state of New York and a cousin of Bishop Daniel Sylvester Tuttle, eighty-fourth in succession of the American episcopate of the Protestant Episcopal church. To that union were born three sons and a daughter, as follows: John N. and Henry A., who have long been deceased; Victor A., whose sketch follows this; and Mrs. Lottie Roeder Roth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 235-236
Roeder, Victor A.
The life of Victor A. Roeder, president of the Bellingham National Bank and for many years one of the most influential personal factors in the development of the commercial and industrial interests of Whatcom county, is practically contemporaneous with that of the Bellingham settlement, for he has been a resident here from the time that may be regarded as the beginning of orderly settlement in this particularly favored section of the Sound country. Mr. Roeder was born in the old Roeder home at what is now the corner of Elm and Monroe streets in the city of Bellingham, August 13, 1861, and is the only surviving son of Captain Henry and Elizabeth (Austin) Roeder and the brother of Mrs. Lottie Roeder Roth, whose name adorns the title page of this work. A sketch of Captain Henry Roeder precedes this biography.
Reared at Bellingham, Victor A. Roeder spent his youth there and when fifteen years of age was sent back to his father's old home in Erie county, Ohio, to finish his education, and he there attended the schools of the city of Vermilion until he completed the high school course. Upon his return home he entered Heald's Business College in San Francisco and was thus further prepared to assume the business responsibilities that awaited him in connection with his association with his father's extensive and manifold interests in and about Bellingham. For some time he was concerned chiefly in realty operations, and he then became engaged in the mercantile business at Everson but presently relinquished that business, and thereafter until his father's death he was connected with the elder Roeder's affairs. When his father passed away, in 1902, he assumed the heavier responsibilities that then fell to him in proprietary charge, he and his sister, Mrs. Roth, inheriting a considerable estate. Meanwhile, in 1896, Mr. Roeder had been elected county treasurer and was thus in public service for four years, or until 1900. Four years later, in 1904, he became one of the active factors in the organization of the Bellingham National Bank and was elected president of that institution, which executive position he since has occupied, being one of the best known bankers in Washington, this service now covering a period of more than twenty years and constituting him one of the veteran bankers of the state. The Bellingham National Bank is capitalized at two hundred thousand dollars and has a fund of more than three hundred thousand dollars in its surplus and undivided profits account, while its deposits aggregate nearly three million dollars.
On October 6, 1886, in the village of Lynden in this county, Victor A. Roeder was united in marriage to Miss Effie B. Ebey, and they have a daughter and a son, namely: Ayreness, wife of J. R. Bolster, a Bellingham merchant; and Henry Victor Roeder, born in 1891.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 236-239
For over forty years Paul Roell has been identified with agricultural affairs in Whatcom county, and though he has passed through some discouraging times he has by persevering industry and good management finally attained a very gratifying measure of success, being now numbered among the prosperous dairy farmers of his locality. He was born in Danzig, Germany, on the 9th of June, 1857, and is a son of Karl and Lizzie (Fantzer) Roell, both of whom also were natives of that locality. The father was a manufacturer of farm machinery and was a man of good standing in his community.
Paul Roell attended the public schools of his home town and then learned the machinist's trade under the direction of his father, with whom he remained until about the time he attained his majority, after which he went to other cities in Germany, working at his trade. In 1884 Mr. Roell came to the United States, coming direct to Whatcom county, where he bought two tracts of land, of forty acres and one hundred and twenty acres, respectively, with the purpose of raising hops. He was one of the first men to raise them in the Nooksack valley and was eminently successful, selling five thousand dollars worth of hops from his farm one year. Eventually, however, a varying market and the ravages of hop lice made the business unprofitable, and he turned his attention to general farming. When he came to his land, forty acres were in pasture, but he removed the stumps and turned it into arable land, on which he raises good crops of hay and grain. He is giving considerable attention to dairying, keeping fifteen high grade Holstein cows and a registered sire, also keeping a few hogs for family use. Mr. Roell likewise has a nice orchard of apple and cherry trees, which he planted himself, and from which he now sells some fruit. He is energetic and methodical in all his operations and the prosperity which is crowning his efforts has been well merited.
In 1885 Mr. Roell was married to Miss Minnie Boelkow, who was born and reared near Berlin, Germany, where lived her parents, Karl and Minne (Houke) Boelkow, who operated a farm. They came to Whatcom county in 1894 and here spent the remaining years of their lives, both being now deceased. One year after Mr. Roell came here Miss Boelkow arrived, and they were married shortly afterward. To them have been born four children, namely: Franz, of Seattle, who is married and has a son; Richard, who is married and lives in Alaska; and Hattie and Salma. Fraternally Mr. Roel is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and has always been deeply interested in everything pertaining to the best interests of the people generally, having served for several years as a school director in the Roeder district. Mr. Roell is an interesting conversationalist and tells many incidents of early days here. Referring to the improvement in transportation facilities, he states that in early days he was compelled to haul in hops to Lynden, whence they would be taken by steamboat to Bellingham. He is a man of broad views and decided opinions, up-to-date and progressive in his ideas, and is thorough in whatever he undertakes. Because of his excellent personal traits and affable disposition he has gained a high place in the esteem and good will of the entire community in which he lives.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 899-900
One of the best known and most highly esteemed citizens of Whatcom county was the venerable farmer, George Roessel, of Ferndale township, a pioneer who did his full share in the development of the western part of the county, which he honored by his citizenship for more than forty-five years. During the years of his residence here he gave his support to churches and schools and to all measures for the public good, his name having been synonymous with honorable living in all the relations of life. He had a wide acquaintance among the representative people of this locality, many of whom were included within the circle of his warm personal friends. Mr. Roessel was a native of France, and his birth occurred on the 15th of April, 1843. His parents, Henry and Elizabeth Roessel, who also were natives of that country, came to the United States in 1833, locating in Buffalo, New York, and later settled at Lancaster, that state, where they remained for three or four years and then returned to France. In 1843, soon after the birth of the subject of this sketch, they again came to this country, going to Buffalo, where the father ran a hotel and also worked at the carpenter trade. He lived there during the greater part of his life and died there about 1875, while his wife died at that place in 1865.
George Roessel secured his education in the public schools of New York state, and in December, 1862, he enlisted in the Twenty-seventh New York Light Artillery, under the command of Captain Eaton. He served his adopted country faithfully until the close of the war and received an honorable discharge at Fort Erie, New York. After his marriage, in 1866, he went to Mount Clemens, Michigan, where he was employed at the carpenter's trade and as a house and boat builder. He helped build most of the hotels at Mount Clemens, as well as many good residences. In 1872 Mr. Roessel came to Whatcom county, Washington, and bought forty acres of land in Ferndale township, proceeding at once to the task of clearing off the dense growth of brush and the logs and stumps which covered it. In this he was successful and at length found himself in possession of a splendid farm, to the cultivation of which he closely devoted himself during the subsequent years, or up to the time of his retirement, in 1920. In 1885 he built what was at that time one of the finest country homes in Whatcom county and two years previously had erected a large and commodious barn; also about that same time he planted a fine orchard. He kept about twenty cows and made a specialty of butter, for which he found a ready market. He was an intensely practical man and always did thoroughly and well whatever he undertook, and he enjoyed a high reputation for his progressive spirit. After coming to Whatcom county, Mr. Roessel also did a large amount of carpenter work and building. He built the Catholic church at Ferndale in 1892, the G. A. R. hall at Ferndale and a number of schools and farm houses in this county.
In June, 1866, In New York city, Mr. Roessel was married to Miss Elizabeth Deal, a daughter of Adam and Elizabeth Deal, both of whom were natives of Strasburg, Germany. Mrs. Roessel died in 1915. To Mr. and Mrs. Roessel were born seven children, as follows: George, deceased; Henry, who lives at Kent, Washington; Fred, Philip, Mrs. Lena Bonner, Mrs. Bessie Knowles, and Mrs. Emma Pauster [Poster], who lives in Skagit county, Washington. Fred has four children, Philip also has four children, Lena has five children and Emma has one child. Mr. Roessel was one of the grand old men of Whatcom county and was held in affectionate regard by all who were fortunate to be included in his list of acquaintenances. He passed away September 15, 1925.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 181-182
Rogers, B. G.
For nearly forty years B. G. Rogers, secretary of the Northwest Farm Loan Association and a director of that organization and one of the well known and substantial dairymen of the Custer neighborhood, has been a resident of Whatcom county and he thus has seen this region develop from its wilderness days. He was a boy of ten when he came here with his parents in 1889, the family arriving on the steamer George E. Starr at the Whatcom landing. There they hired Indians to take them in their canoes to the Marietta landing, where the family's first summer here was spent, and Mr. Rogers never will forget how his boyish fancy was attracted to the novelty of that trip and to the skill with which the Indians handled the canoes, men poling- and women paddling. He grew up amid pioneer conditions here, did his part in development work and in due time settled on a place of his own, which he cleared and brought to its present fine state of improvement. Therefore, though not as old as some of the other surviving early settlers, he has the right none the less to regard himself as one of the pioneers of this region and is so considered.
Mr. Rogers was born in Otter Tail County, Minnesota, November 28, 1879, and is a son of G. W. and Florence (Palmer) Rogers, who are still living. The latter was born in Pennsylvania, a member of one of the old families of the Keystone state. G. W. Rogers, now a resident of Lake Whatcom, is a member of one of the old families in the Empire state. Born in New York, he was married in Iowa in 1875 and later became a homesteader in Otter Tail County, Minnesota, where he resided until the spring of 1889, when he closed out his affairs there and with his family came to Washington, locating in Whatcom County. The family spent that summer at Marietta and then located on a rented farm in the Lynden neighborhood. G. W. Rogers cleared that place and remained there until his retirement in 1903. He and his wife have ten children, nine sons and one daughter, and a merry group of grandchildren, as well as great-grandchildren.
As has been stated, B. G. Rogers was ten years of age when he began "pioneering" in Whatcom County. He grew up familiar with local farming and lumbering operations and during his youth was an associate of his father in the latter's clearing operations. For a few years he "worked on his own," getting a starting stake, and in 1903, when in his twenty-fourth year, bought the "forty" on which he now is living in the vicinity of Custer and settled down to clear and develop it. After his marriage some years later he established his home on that place, by that time well under cultivation, and has since had his residence there. Of late years he has given his attention chiefly to dairying, has a good herd of Jerseys with a registered bull and is doing well. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairy Association and his operations are carried on in accordance with approved methods. He also is a member of the local grange of the Patrons of Husbandry and has long been recognized as one of the substantial and influential farmers of that neighborhood. Mr. Rogers has ever given his interested and helpful attention to neighborhood development movements and is now serving as overseer of highways in his district, a position he also occupied during a term some years ago. He is the secretary of the Northwest Farm Loan Association, a member of the directorate of that organization, and has done much to advance its interests.
On February 9, 1909, at Willows, Glenn County, California, Mr. Rogers was united in marriage to Miss Maude Hand and they have six children, William Fred, George, Clarence, James, Mabel and Grace, all of whom are in school save the last named. Mrs. Rogers was born at Sodaville, in Linn County, Oregon, and is a daughter of H. J. and Martha (Dunn) Hand, the latter born in Ireland. H. J. Hand, a native of New York state, was married in Dakota and in 1888 came with his family to the coast country, settling on a farm in the Sodaville neighborhood in Oregon. The Rogers family have a pleasant home just outside of the village of Custer and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the general social activities of that community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 389-390
Rogers John W. and R. M.
R. M. Rogers was a native of the state of Ohio, where he was reared and educated. At the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted and served faithfully for three years and three months. He was reared to the life of a farmer and also learned the trade of a blacksmith. In 1881 he came to Whatcom county, locating on Dakota creek, where he bought what was known as the Kingsley ranch, comprising one hundred and sixty acres of good land. Being a blacksmith, he was offered a free site for a shop and one hundred dollars in cash if he would locate at Blaine. However, he did a great deal of this kind of work among his neighbors, by whom his services were greatly appreciated. At that time Dakota creek was the only means of transportation to the Sound, and thence to Whatcom and other points. It was necessary to go to Semiahmoo Spit for supplies, and in other ways the settlers were handicapped, owing to the almost entire absence of roads and direct means of communication. The supply of provisions and other necessities was brought to Semiahmoo once a week by boat, and if those who wished flour or other staple supplies were not there when the boat came, they were unable to get any until the next boat trip, a week later. When Mr. Rogers bought the land it was densely covered with timber, the only improvement being a small log cabin, while a frame house had been started. Mr. Rogers completed the building and succeeded in clearing about forty acres of the land, twenty acres more being slashed. On his death , which occurred in 1916, he was very active in local public affairs, served for many years as a member of the school board and in other ways showed a commendable interest in the welfare and progress of the community. He was a most likeable (sic) man, kindly and generous, and enjoyed the good will and esteem of all who knew him.
While on a furlough home during the Civil war, Mr. Rogers was married to Miss Meribah Stewart, who was born in Lynn county, Iowa, a daughter of John Stewart, a native of Indiana. To Mr. and Mrs. Rogers were born eight children, namely: Mary C., widow of the late J. H. Kagey; Belle, the wife of E. M. Thayer, who lives on the old homestead, and they have two children; Theodosia, the wife of Robert Sparks, of Drayton, and the mother of one child; Nellie, the wife of J. B. Lathrop and the mother of one child; John W., who was born in Kansas, December 30, 1880; Wilbur; Olive, who died when about fourteen years of age; and Flora, who died in babyhood.
John W. Rogers was born in Kansas, December 30, 1880, and was about three years of age when brought to Washington and to Whatcom county. He received his education in the Excelsior public school and then took a course in the State Normal School at Bellingham. Thereafter he devoted himself to working on his father's farm, spending much of his time in getting out timber, in which work he is an expert, taking out only the select trees and leaving the others for more growth. Thus he is showing a commendable foresight that would be worth billions of dollars to the country were such a rule followed generally. He is engaged principally in dairy farming, keeping seven high grade Guernsey cows, and also has been very successful in the raising of fruit, growing apples, cherries, pears and plums. He raises enough hay and grain to feed his stock, and he has shown sound judgment and discrimination in the management of the place. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and takes a keen interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the farmer and dairyman. In the management of the farm he is ably assisted by his brother, Wilbur Rogers, who is a practical and energetic worker, a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and popular in the social circles in which he moves. John W. Rogers has long been numbered among the enterprising and progressive farmers of the community and has ably sustained the splendid reputation which the family has always enjoyed throughout this section of the county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 892-893
Rogers, Arthur and Howard
There are few farmers in Whatcom county who have met with more encouraging success than Arthur and Howard Rogers, strong, sturdy characters who have contributed largely to the material welfare of the community and township in which they reside. They are modern and up-to-date agriculturists, while as citizens they are public-spirited and progressive in all that the terms imply.
The Rogers brothers are natives of Earlville, La Salle county, Illinois, and are sons of John D. and Elizabeth F. (Withey) Rogers, the father a native of western New York and the mother of Exeter, England. John D. Rogers learned the trade of a carpenter, which he followed for some years in his native state, but about 1858 moved to Illinois, locating at Earlville, where he engaged in the lumber business. In 1872 he went to Colorado Springs, Colorado, where he lived eight years, being engaged in the building and contracting business. On May 31, 1881, he came to Whatcom county, Washington, with his son, Howard, and in the following month homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 23, Ferndale township. The rest of the family joined him later in the year. The land was practically all covered with brush and timber, but he went to work with vigor and cleared a part of the tract, creating a good home, and there he spent his remaining days. He was born September 5, 1825, and died August 28, 1890, while his wife, who was born in 1831, passed away June 1, 1908. They were the parents of four children. The two sons are Arthur and Howard. Alice was the wife of C. A. Puariea and the mother of two children, Mrs. Alice A. Perry and Howard. She died October 4, 1925, aged sixty-two years and two months, and is buried in Woodlawn cemetery in Ferndale township, where her parents are also buried. Harriet is the wife of Richard J. Owen and the mother of a daughter, Mrs. Doris Laurenson.
Arthur and Howard Rogers received their education in the public schools and remained with their parents, taking over the operation of the home farm, of which they now own one hundred and twenty acres. They are enterprising and progressive in their methods, careful and painstaking in everything they do, and are realizing very gratifying returns from their labor. They have thirteen acres in fruit, mainly apples, and keep several cows, two of which are pure bred Jerseys. The brothers have never married and keep house together, enjoying life to the full. Arthur Rogers is an expert carpenter and derives considerable pleasure in his spare time in fixing up and making changes in the house, and many of the ideas made use of are original with him. Such men are a credit to any community, for they are not only successful in their business affairs, but they are public-spirited in their support of all proposed measures for the advancement of the public welfare. Genial and friendly in their social relations, they have won a host of warm friends and throughout the community they are recognized as splendid citizens and enjoy the confidence and esteem of all.
Arthur Rogers was chairman of the board of supervisors of Ferndale township for the first four years after its organization, while Howard served as county commissioner for one term in 1895 and 1896. Arthur is a member of the Methodist church at North Bellingham and holds the office of recording steward; has also served as a teacher and superintendent of the Sunday school.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 636-639
Rogers, T. A.
T. A. Rogers, one of the well known and influential men in Ferndale township, belongs to that class of substantial citizens who by their support of the moral, political and social status for the general good, promote the real welfare of their respective communities, and are therefore rightfully included in the list of representative residents of the county. Mr. Rogers has been a witness of and participant in much of the development work in this locality and has borne his full share in the effectual efforts to maintain the fine moral standard which has ever been in evidence here. A native of Texas, where his birth occurred on the 23d of April, 1856, he is a son of Anderson and Elizabeth (Butler) Rogers. His parents were natives of Indiana, the father born March 25, 1825, and the mother April 20, 1828. They are both deceased, the father dying in Indiana August 25, 1858, and the mother in Lockwood, Missouri, October 29, 1911. Anderson Rogers was a blacksmith by trade and in 1854 went to Texas, where he remained about three years, and then returned to Indiana, where he spent his remaining days.
T. A. Rogers secured his education in the public schools of Indiana and then learned the trade of a saddler and harnessmaker, at which he was employed for several years, eventually going into business on his own account. In 1878 he went to Graham county, Kansas, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, and also secured a tree claim of one hundred and sixty acres. He devoted himself closely to the cultivation of this land for fourteen years, and in 1892, went to California, locating at Ventura, where he engaged in the meat business. After following that business for five years, he bought a small fruit ranch at Riverside, California, but later traded that for a small property at Redlands, California, in order that his children might have better educational advantages. In 1904 Mr. Rogers came to Yakima, Washington, and, leasing land on the old Indian reservation, which he cultivated for five years. He then came to Whatcom county, in 1908, and bought forty acres of brush and stump land, which he cleared, developing a splendid homestead. He carries on general farming, raising hay and corn, and latter used as ensilage, and keeps from eight to twelve good grade cows and has one thousand Plymouth Rock hens. He has made many permanent and substantial improvements on the ranch, which is now one of the most valuable of its size in this locality. Mr. Rogers is eminently public-spirited, as was shown when, in 1909, he bought one of the first log houses built in Ferndale, took it apart, marking the logs carefully, and then rebuilt it on his ranch, thus preserving one of the community's landmarks for future generations.
On August 13, 1878, Mr. Rogers married Miss Flora McCullough, who was born in Indiana, a daughter of Samuel and Mary (Duerry) McCullough. Her parents were natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively, but spent their last years in Indiana. Mr. McCullough served eight years as a county commissioner of Jasper county, Indiana, and in early days in that state was prominent in politics. He was a close personal friend of Clem Studebaker, of South Bend, and of ex-Vice President Schuyler Colfax. Samuel McCullough was appointed Indian agent under the Grant administration but owning to his family did not accept the appointment. He was active in both politics and church work. He died in 1883 and his wife in 1876. They were the parents of seven children, two living - Mrs. Rachel Faris of Medarysville, Indiana, and Mrs. Rogers. To Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have been born three children, Earnest M., born in Kansas, July 10, 1870, and educated in California, is now engaged in mining in the latter state. He married Miss Marvel Pierce in November, 1925; Mrs. Elizabeth E. Chapman, born in Indiana, October 29, 1883, and now living at Ferndale, has a son, Roger W., born December 16, 1911; Leroy A., born in Kansas, April 9, 1887, graduated from the high school at Redlands, California, from the State Normal school at Ellensburg, Washington, and in 1914, from the Washington State University at Seattle. He was principal of the Franklin school, at Tacoma, and is now principal of the John McCarver school at Tacoma. On August 30, 1919, he was married to Miss Lillian Gahagan, a native of Minnesota. Leroy is a veteran of the World war, having served nine months overseas. He was honorably discharged in France and reached home in July, 1919. For the last fifteen years his wife has been principal of the McKinley school in Tacoma, being one of the leading educators of that city.
Mr. Rogers is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and of the Whatcom County Poultry Association. Politically he gives his support to the republican party and takes keen interest in public affairs, particularly such as concern the welfare and prosperity of his community. He and his wife are earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Custer, to which they give generous support. They are deservedly proud of their children, who are honoring them by their daily lives, and they are in their own records exemplifying the highest elements of character. Because of their fine public spirit, their business success and their genial and hospitable dispositions, they have long held high place in public regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 698-699
Among the citizens of Whatcom county who have built up highly creditable reputations and have distinguished themselves by right and honorable living is J. Rohwer, a farmer of Ten Mile township and another of the large band of foreign born citizens who have done such commendable work in the development and upbuilding of this county. His prominence in the community is conceded, and his career has been so ordered as to win for him universal respect.
Mr. Rohwer was born in Holstein, Germany, in 1855, and is a son of H. and Anna (Goetsche) Rohwer, farming people, who spent their entire lives in their native land, both now being deceased. Our subject attended the public school of his home neighborhood and then learned the trade of a painter, at which he worked there until 1880, when he immigrated to the United States. He went directly to Iowa, where he was connected with the painting business for nearly twenty years, coming to Whatcom county in 1899. After looking the country over, he bought the old Scrimsher place in Ten Mile township, which was partly cleared. He has devoted his efforts to the development of this tract until now there are about forty acres cleared and in cultivation, the remainder being pasture land. Some old buildings were standing on the place when he acquired it, but these have all been replaced with substantial and up-to-date structures, making it a very comfortable and attractive farm. In the early days dairy products, hay, grain and shingle bolts were the principal products of the farm, but Mr. Rohwer is now confining his attention mainly to hay raising and dairying, in which he is meeting with very gratifying success. He is also giving some attention to chickens, keeping about fifteen hundred laying hens, which afford a good and steady income. A progressive and wide-awake farmer, Mr. Rohwer has earned the respect of his fellow agriculturists throughout the locality in which he lives.
In 1886 Mr. Rohwer was married to Miss Kate Hilgenberg, who died in 1901. She was a native of Germany and was a daughter of C. Hilgenberg, who never left his native land, the daughter having come to the United States alone. To Mr. and Mrs. Rohwer were born four children, namely: Mrs. Lily Jagyer, who died in 1911; Herbert, who lives on the home farm; Victor, also living on the home place, who was married to Miss Lucile Brown and has two children, Jack and Glenn; and Eleanor, who remains at home. Mr. Rohwer has always taken a commendable interest in the public affairs of his locality, having served for several terms as a member of the school board of the Ten Mile district. In the early days he was in favor of every possible local improvement and did a good deal of free work on the construction of roads. This spirit of progress has characterized his entire career. Kindly and genial in all his social relations, he has a wide acquaintance and among them a host of loyal and devoted friends, who esteem him for his genuine worth as a man and a citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 52-53