Roland, Shirod C.
Shirod C. Roland, engaged in the auto wrecking business at Bellingham, also carries a complete line of automobile accessories and parts and has developed the leading enterprise of its kind in the city. His birth occurred at Ardmore, Oklahoma, on the 26th of September, 1893, his parents being J. M. and Lilly M. (Hill) Roland, natives of Texas and Illinois, respectively. It was in the year *1865 that his father and mother took up their abode among the pioneer settlers of Oklahoma. In 1912 J. M. Roland made his way to the Canadian province of Alberta, where he devoted his attention to farming pursuits for two years. At the end of that time, in 1914, he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and through the intervening period of twelve years has been successfully engaged in the contracting business at Bellingham.
Shirod C. Roland attended the public schools in the acquirement of an education and then entered the law department of the University of Oklahoma, but he found that a professional career had no appeal for him and at the end of two years abandoned his law studies. It was following his arrival at Bellingham, Washington, that he became a marine engineer, serving as engineer on the steamer Firwood when it was destroyed by fire off Atico Roads, forty miles from the Peruvian seacoast. Mr. Roland suffered serious burns in this unfortunate accident. In 1921 he embarked in the auto wrecking business at No. 1744 Elk street in Bellingham, where he has a building one hundred by one hundred feet. He furnishes employment to three men, and he also handles a full line of automobile parts and accessories. A well merited measure of success has attended his undertakings in this connection, so that he has already gained an enviable reputation as one of the prosperous and representative young business men of his adopted city.
In 1923 Mr. Roland was united in marriage to Miss Lillian Polly, a native of Missouri, and they have one child, Donahue. In politics Mr. Roland maintains an independent attitude, for he believes that the qualifications of a candidate are of more importance that his party affiliation. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons and the Eagles. His friends, and they are many, attest the sterling worth of his character and his many admirable personal qualities.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 571-572
Ross, Alexander D.
The rugged strength, determined spirit and high moral attributes of his Caledonian ancestors are manifest in the career of Alexander D. Ross, who sought and profited by the opportunities of the Pacific northwest and has worthily earned the right to the distinctive title of "self-made man." His activities as a sheep raiser brought him state-wide prominence, and he is now numbered among the largest landholders of Rome township, in which he has resided for more than twenty years. A native of Scotland, he was born January 13, 1869, in the town of Cupar, Fifeshire, and his parents, David and Annie (Donaldson) Ross, were lifelong residents of that county. The mother was a native of Kings Barns, Fifeshire, and the father's birth occurred at Falkland, in the same county. He was a farmer and specialized in the raising of sheep. To Mr. and Mrs. Ross were born ten children, four of whom reside in Scotland, two in Australia and four in the United States.
Alexander D. Ross received a public school education and remained at home until he reached the age of twenty, becoming thoroughly familiar with the work of the agriculturist and stock breeder. In 1889 he yielded to the lure of the new world and after his arrival in the United States started for the Pacific coast, reaching Seattle, Washington, at the time of the memorable conflagration which destroyed a large portion of the city. He was called upon for service and aided in extinguishing the flames. He remained in Seattle for six months and then went to eastern Washington and took a band of sheep on shares. He was a pioneer in this field, in which he soon demonstrated the qualities of leadership, and was the first man to take a band of sheep into the higher ranges of the Cascade mountains. He was engaged in the business for many years with notable success and gradually increased his flocks until eventually he became the owner of five thousand head of sheep. In 1904 Mr. Ross disposed of his interests in eastern Washington and located in the northwestern section of the state. He had visited Whatcom county in 1902 and purchased four hundred and eighty acres of land, situated in sections Nos. 17, 19 and 20 of Rome township, the old Foster homestead being included among his holdings. He had planned to convert this tract into a large sheep ranch but owing to heavy losses occasioned by coyotes and dogs was obliged to sell his flocks and abandon the business. An additional tract of forty-four acres has since been added, and Mr. Ross and his wife now own five hundred and twenty-four acres. A large portion of the property is unimproved land, on which he runs a few head of cattle, and he recently built a new home, which is supplied with all modern conveniences.
Mr. Ross married Miss Edna Lincoln, a native of Indiana and a lineal descendant of Abraham Lincoln. Her parents, William and Sarah (Burl) Lincoln, were natives of Ohio and were married in 1860. To their union were born seven children, all of whom are living. The mother was born in Toledo, and the father's birth occurred in Cincinnati, but his ancestors were Kentuckians. Mr. Lincoln followed the occupation of farming, and when the nation became involved in civil strife he enlisted in the Fifty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, remaining in service until the close of the war. He came to Washington in 1897, settling in Ellensburg, and there passed away in 1909, while his widow's demise occurred in the following year. Mr. and Mrs. Ross have a son, Donald Lincoln, who was born November 6, 1904, and in 1921 was graduated with honors from the Whatcom high school. He attended the State Normal School for a year and is now a senior at the University of Washington, where he has also made a brilliant record as a student. Mrs. Ross was engaged in educational work before her marriage and is at present teaching school in the Welcome district of Whatcom county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 945-946
Ross, Charles A.; D.D.S.
Dr. Charles A. Ross, who has been chosen to occupy the presidency of the Whatcom County Dental Society for one year, has been an active and successful representative of the dental profession at Bellingham during the past fourteen years. He was born in Sutherland, Iowa, on the 20th of October, 1883, a son of Walter B. and Ida (Leivan) Ross, who moved to Kansas in 1900. The father was engaged in cattle raising and farming up to the time of his retirement, and he is now enjoying the fruits of his former toil in well earned ease.
Charles A. Ross attended the public schools in the acquirement of an education and received his professional training in the Kansas City Dental College of Kansas City, Missouri, which institution conferred upon him the degree of D. D. S. at his graduation in 1912. In that same year he made his way westward to Washington and took up the work of his chosen profession at Bellingham, where he has remained continuously to the present time, having built up an extensive and gratifying dental practice. His high standing among his fellow practitioners is indicated in the fact that he has been chosen president of the Whatcom County Dental Society.
On the 20th of July, 1916, Dr. Ross was united in marriage to Miss Myrtle A. Giles, of Bellingham, a daughter of William H. and Kittie C. Giles, who arrived here in pioneer days and conducted one of the first restaurants at Bellingham. Dr. and Mrs. Ross are the parents of a son and a daughter, Berton Charles and Mary Frances.
Since age conferred upon his the right of franchise Dr. Ross has supported the men and measurers of the republican party, believing that its principles are most conducive to good government. He belongs to the Greek letter fraternity Psi Omega, and he has gained many friends in both the social and professional circles of his adopted city.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 55-56
Daniel Ross is one of the best known farmers and timber men in his section of the county and for many years his name has been synonymous with progress and fair dealing, for while laboring untiringly for his own advancement he has not been neglectful of his duties as a citizen of one of the choicest sections of one of the best states in the Union. Mr. Ross was born in Ontario, Canada, on the 26th of January, 1856, and is a son of William and Jane (McMasters) Ross, both of whom were natives of Scotland. The father came to America in his boyhood and located in Ontario, where he spent his life in farming pursuits, dying there at the age of eighty-two years. The two families came separately, the subject's parents meeting and marrying in Ontario.
Daniel Ross secured his education in the public schools of Ontario and remained on the paternal farmstead with his father until 1876, when he came to the States, locating in Michigan, and during the ensuing twelve years he was employed in the logging camps of that state. In 1889 he came to Whatcom county and was employed in the woods until 1910, when he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, comprising his present farm. A little of the land was cleared, but Mr. Ross has kept steadily at work and now has about forty acres under cultivation. carries on diversified farming, raising hay, corn and grain, and has been rewarded with bountiful crops under normal conditions. During twelve years of the time prior to moving onto his land, Mr. Ross was logging on his own account in British Columbia. He has been a hard-working man and has well earned the success which has crowned his efforts.
In 1903 Mr. Ross was married to Miss Mary Corbett, who was born and reared in Missouri, a daughter of William and Catherine Corbett, the former of whom was a native of Ontario, and both of whom died in British Columbia. Mrs. Ross died May 15, 1915, leaving two children, William and Daniel, both of whom still live at home. Mr. Ross was for twenty-eight years a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, but is now now active in that order. He is a member of the Grange and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He remembers many interesting experiences of his early days in this locality. Referring to the transportation difficulties not so many years back, he states that when he came to Blaine, in February, 1890, he traveled in a stage coach and, though there were but four passenger, the roads were so bad that it was necessary for them to get out and walk up the hills in order to save the horses. They left Bellingham at eight o'clock in the morning and, traveling by way of Marietta, reach Blaine at six o'clock that evening, a matter of ten hours. Mr. Ross is held in the highest esteem by all classes in his community, because of his public spirit, straightforward business methods and friendly disposition.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 268-269
Rosson, Reed C.; D.D.S.
Dr. Reed C. Rosson, who has been actively engaged in the practice of dentistry at Bellingham since December, 1913, is recognized as one of the able representatives of the profession in Whatcom county. His birth occurred at Cherryvale, Kansas, in the year 1882, his parents being George W. and Margaret Rosson, both of whom are deceased. Having decided upon a professional career, Reed C. Rosson began preparation therefor as a student in the Western Dental College of Kansas City, Missouri, from which he was graduated in 1907. During the two succeeding years he was engaged in practice in Kansas, his native state, and then in 1909 made his way westward to Washington and opened an office in Seattle, where he remained until December, 1913. At the latter date he came to Bellingham, where he has continued to the present time.
In 1922 Dr. Rossen was united in marriage to Grace Shield, of Bellingham. He belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Fraternal Order of Eagles and is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. In politics he is independent.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 899
Roth, Charles Independence
Perhaps no two people are better and more widely known in Whatcom county than Mr. and Mrs. C. I. Roth; certainly no other married couple has such range of friendship and acquaintance, covering so many years. Mr. Roth came to Whatcom in 1883, just as the town was beginning to take on a new life and for forty-three years he has been an active factor in every phase of the growth and development of the city and the county. As lawyer, business man and real estate owner he has left his impress upon the community, and being seven times elexted a representative of Whatcom county in the legislature he has become part and parcel of the history of the state.
Mrs. Roth was born in Whatcom; the daughter of the first white man to make permanent settlement in the county, and of the brave young girl who drove across the plains to join her life with his and cheerfully to bear all the hardships and privations of the wife of a pioneer. Mrs. Roth grew up with the community, a typical pioneer child, attending the first school, knowing Indian as well as white children as friends and playmates; sharing with delight every joy and every triumph that has come to Whatcom county and feeling the weight of its every misfortune. Thoughout a long and beautiful life she has known no other home. She never outgrew the enforced democracy of the pioneer days. It is said that there are more women named "Charlotte" in Whatcom county than in any other county in America, and these daughters, named after "Lottie" Roeder, are found in city and in country and in the homes of the Indians, as frequently as in the homes of the whites. For many years. Mrs. Roth has taken intense personal pride and interest in the history of Whatcom county, not as to the deeds of her family alone, but as to accomplishments of the county as a whole; of all the friends and neighbors both of the old days and the new. It was for this reason that she, with Mr. Roth assisting with his wide knowledge of the business and political affairs of the county, were asked to undertake the preparation of the first volume of this "History of Whatcom County," and none but those privileged to cooperate with them will know the many hours they have given to the task, and the intense care and interest they have shown that, without prejudice, there might be given "honor to whom honor is due" in the making of the city and the county they love. If for no other thing, it is believed that the people of this county owe them a lasting debt of gratitude for the very honest effort they have made to preserve a permanent record of the county and its pioneers; a work which they performed as a labor of love and as a monument, better and more appealing than any granite shaft, to the memory of the friends both of today and of the long-ago.
Charles Independence Roth was born on the Fourth of July, 1860, at Peoria, Illinois. His parents were both of German descent, but they so loved the land of their adoption that they were glad to commemorate the natal day of America and to give their son, born on the day, the name of "Independence." And let it be said that "Independence" has been C. I. Toth's middle name ever since, in spirit and in deed, as well as letter. John Charles and Louise Roth, his parents were of sturdy, thrifty, generous German stock. The "kept store," saved, prospered, brought up their family of sons and daughters to be intelligent, self-respecting citizens, and died, themselves respected and beloved. Young Roth was educated in the grade and high schools of Peoria and then attended the Illinois Wesleyan University, at Bloomington, Illinois, paying his way largely by his own efforts by teaching school. he next read law in the office of J. A. Cameron of Peoria, and, in 1881, when he had barely reached his majority, he was admitted to the bar. Mr. Roth relates, fondly, that his "sheepskin" bears the name among others, of Sidney Breeze, one of the most famed judges of the supreme bench of Illinois. After engaging in the practice of his profession for a short time in Peoria, Mr. Roth felt the urge of pioneering and his first venture was in Fargo, Dakota. His undertakings were profitable, but after a year in the prairie territory he was a ready listener to the many wonderful tales related of the Puget Sound country. He started for the "Far West" in the spring of 1883, without definite destination and went first to Seattle, where he heard of the bright prospects of a little town called Whatcom, which was soon to become a great railroad terminus. Accordingly he took boat to Whatcom, being carried to shore June 10, 1883, on the broad shoulders of Frenchy Gus Julian, the faithful boatman so long a picturesque figure on the Whatcom water front.
Mr. Roth lost no time in hanging his shingle to the breeze and he very soon began taking a prominent part in the business and social life of the community. He was a counsel for Stenger in the Colony litigation, a member of the baseball ream and the Shakespeare Society, and was one of the young men who aided Rev. Joseph Wolfe by carrying lumber on their backs up the steep cliff to build the first, Congregational, church in Whatcom. The division of the county in 1884, when Skagit county was set apart, necessitated the naming of a number of new officials for Whatcom county and the young attorney, C. I. Roth, was appointed probate judge.
On September 16, 1885, occurred the marriage of C. I. Roth and Miss Lottie T. Roeder. It was the first wedding ever solemnized in the Episcopalian church in Whatcom and was the great social event of the year for Whatcom people, almost the entire population taking part in the festivities and assembling at the pier to wish them joy as the steamer Washington bore them down the bay on their honeymoon journey.
Mr. Roth continued in the practice of law, both alone and with various partners, one of whom was J. J. Weisenberger, for a number of years, but in 1888 he bought an interest in the Chuckanut quarry, which prior to that time had been operated in a small way. The new firm operated under the name of Roeder & Roth, with Mr. Roth as the active manager. At first this was a side issue, but the great Seattle fire in 1890 caused a tremendous demand for building stone, of which the Chuckanut quarry offered the very best and most accessible supply. There followed a number of busy and high profitable years for this industry and Mr. Roth proved himself a most competent and efficient business man. It was during the boom days of 1889 and 1890 that the idea was conceived of erecting a building which should be a monument to the builder as well as a permanent showing of the value of Chuckanut stone. The Roth block on West Holly street, the first permanent, fireproof building of any size in Old Whatcom was the result of this enterprise. This massive and handsome structure of solid stone, stands today as one of the finest buildings in the city. The fine arched doorway proudly bears the words "Lottie Roth Block;" and will for many a day stand as an ineffaceable tribute of affection between man and wife. At first this building was fully occupied with a bank, stores and professional offices, but the tide of business drifted eastward, towards old Sehome, and the Roth block was remodeled into modern apartments and is now fully as well occupied as an apartment home.
During these years Mr. Roth was a member of the city council and took an active part in all civic affairs. he was the trustee, representing both the city and the bondsmen in straightening out the tangled affairs of the Isensee estate when the city treasurer defaulted for more than seventy thousand dollars, and Mr. Roth administered this trust faithfully and well, turning over to the city more than twenty-five thousand dollars.
It was in 1893 that he began the legislative career which has been exceeded in length and value of service by but few men in the history of the state of Washington. Always adhering to the main tenets of the republican party, Mr. Roth was never able to get away from his birthright of "Independence" and his course in the legislature was that of a free lance wherever he felt the interests of the people ran counter to the party whip. He was but thirty-three years of age when he began this legislative service. During this first session he was instrumental in passing what is known as the "Seven Year Statute" which served to clear title to a large portion of the Whatcom townsite. This law, Mr. Roth frankly admitted, was borrowed from Illinois where it was enacted to defeat the so-called "French claims" and to clear titles to land clouded by grants made by the French kings, before the days of the Louisiana Purchase. During the Gold Rush of 1858 many lots were bought by the newcomers to Bellingham Bay. When the "Rush" subsided this property was abandoned as worthless and taxes were unpaid, but there was still some cloud on titles which prevented the growth of the city. It was to correct this state of affairs that the seven year statute was enacted. Mr. Roth was also the manager in the house for the Donahue road bill, which originated in the senate, and thus had much to do with the legislation which is the foundation rock of Washington's splendid, modern highway system. he was again a potent factor when this law was amended and modernized in 1917. Mr. Roth served but one term at this time and it was not until 1903 that he was again a member of the house. This service covered two sessions during which he was an active and influential member of such committees as those of the judiciary, revenue and taxation, municipal corporations, fisheries, education and public lands. During his first term, 1893, he was instrumental in saving the normal school bill for Whatcom county, after it had been threatened with defeat and veto.
In the legislative session of 1905, Mr. Roth was chairman of the fisheries committee and earned the soubriquet of "Sockeye Charlie," because of the fight made by him for restrictive fishing regulations, to prevent the ruthless waste, slaughter and destruction of the Sockeye salmon. The proprsed law was reciprocal, dependent upon like regulation being made in the province of British Columbia, which, by order in council, had shown its willingness so to do. The measure passed one house but was defeated in the other. In 1917, Mr. Roth again introduced the measure, predicting at the time that unless this, or some similar regulation, was had, that the Sockeye salmon would be exterminated and cease to be a fish of commerce in a very few years. But the greed of some of the cannery men was too great to be overcome, and he went down to defeat a second time. They thought only of themselves and their immediate profits, and not of the future or of the coming generations, as was selfishly and tersely put by one of them when he said: "I expect to be dead a long time." Mr. Roth's prediction proved only too true. The Sockeye, the king of all salmon, is all but gone today, as a fish of commerce.
Between his second and third periods of legislative service, ten years again elapsed. He served in the regular sessions of 1915, 1917 and 1919 and at one special session. Again there was an intermission, and he served his last term in the legislature of 1923; making a total of seven regular and one special sessions, covering a period of thirty years-a record unique in the annals of the state. This long connection gave him influence and prestige as one of the nestors of the house and an intimate knowledge, such as is possessed by few others, of the course and history and purposes of legislative enactments. he was the first to admit that he has not always been right on every question, but, while he has been the storm center of many a political battle, his honesty of purpose and of conduct have never been questioned.
For a number of years he had the management of the large Roeder estate and of recent years he has been kept busy attending to his personal affairs. He has never been a real estate agent, but he has been a large buyer and seller and improver of Bellingham real estate on his own account, some of the buildings so improved being among the best in the city, and all of his investments heave been made in Whatcom county, showing his confidence and his interest in its welfare. Mr. Roth is one of the older Masons and Shriners in the county and was the first chancellor commander of Sunset Lodge, No. 11, the first Knights of Pythias lodge in Whatcom county, but lodge interests have never been surpreme factors in his life; rather has he enjoyed the work of business affairs, the excitements of political activity and the peace of the beautiful residence on Elm street which has been the family home for more than a third of a century.
A unique chapter of Mr. Roth's life was written in Alaska. During the bitter hard times following the panic of 1893, he like many others, was glad to find opportunity to earn a livelihood even if it meant venturing to the Land of the Midnight Sun. He went to Alaska, as a gold seeker, but soon became a federal official in the customs service as a special agent of the treasury. He went to Alaska in 1897, landing at Skagquay, crossing the Dyea pass to Lake Linderman and floating down the great Yukon river to Dawson. He has traversed the Yukon river from source to mouth, for the most part in an open boat. His government service was at Circle City, on the very edge of the Arctic circle where he practiced law and took a chance, or two, in the mining game, and he still looks back with pleasure upon those days spent in the far north.
During the years, Charles I. Roth has taken an active and intelligent interest in all that has pertained to the welfare of the city, the county and the state, and has been farsighted, fearless and independent in the positions he has taken. At the banquet recently held to promote the improvement of the Squallicum creek waterway, it must have given him satisfaction to be able to recall that this was the very project for which he and J. J. Donovan had been futile but enthusiastic fellow workers fifteen or twenty years ago. Mr. Roth is a most lieable man, unpretentious, generous, openhearted and sympathetic with the problems of the poor. The reseaech worker in the annals of Whatcom county will find his name written as a donor to almost every project of church or charity or public enterprise the good people of this community have ever proposed or undertaken. He has never opposed what he considered wise public expenditures but has always urged and insisted that the people receive the worth of their money. In the legislature he was one of the men who helped to secure Chuckanut drive, which is such a great addition to the scenic beauty of the Puget Sound region and the impress of his thought and influence is to be found on many pages of the laws of Washington.
It seems fairly impossible that Charlotte Tuttle Roeder could have been anything but the daughter and the wife of a pioneer. One William Totyl of Devon, from whomashe is descended, was a member of an old, pioneer English family, in 1528, when America had just been discovered. Another William Tuttle, was something of a pioneer, landing at Charleston harbor, (Boston) in 1630, settling at New Haven, Connecticut, and owning what is now part of the site, in fact, the first site, of Yale University. The austere Jonathan Edwards, the eloquent Henry Ward Beecher, the brilliant Bishop Tuttle of the Episcopalian church, were all scions of the Tuttle family, which is cited by students of eugenics as an example of the best strain of English manhood and womanhood. Is it surprising to find that her grandmother, Charlotte Tuttle, born in 1792, was the wife of George Austin, and that htey were the first white settlers at Vermillion, Ohio, on the shores of Lake Erie, and that they were there when Parry won his great victory over the British fleet, fleeing when the first report came that Perry was defeated and returning to nurse the wounded of both navies when the true story of the glorious American victory was told. Born of such parents, it no longer seems strange that Elizabeth Austin, who was born at Vermillion, Ohio, in 1826, should dare the western wilds and cross the plains and the mountains to join and wed the pioneer lover, Henry Roeder, at the little sawmill settlement at the mouth of Whatcom creek. The story of the beautiful and gracious life of Elizabeth Roeder is woven into the very fibre of the history of Whatcom county and has been told in the volume devoted to that history as has also been related the life work of that sturdy, loyal, enterprising pioneer, Henry Roeder. Charlotte Tuttle Roeder was the fourth child, and the only daughter of these pioneers. She was born October 25, 1864. Her brothers were John Nicholas, who was born August 11, 1856, and died December 9, 1886; Henry Austin, who was born Febrauary 23, 1859, and died July 13, 1877; and Victor Augustin, who was born August 13, 1861, and is now an honored resident of Bellingham.
Little "Lottie," as she was known to all, spent the early days of her girlhood in Old Whatcom. She had but few white playmates, only her older brothers and two or three girl friends, but the Indians were kind to her and early in life she had that love and sympathy for the "native Americans" which has made so many of them her friends throughout life. In a chapter on the early schools of Whatcom the recollections of those childhood days have been told, with glimpses of the old schoolhouse, the beautiful Bennett garden and the great event of the week when the coat came in. She was ten years old when her mother took her for a visit to the old Ohio home, and it was then, for the first time, that she saw a railroad or a city of any size. She attended school in Ohio for a short time and the following year was left with relatives in San Francisco that she might enjoy the benefit of the city schools. She remained in the San Francisco school for nearly three years and then returned to Whatcom, where she attended the private school taught by that best beloved of Whatcom county teachers-Mrs. Nellie Coupe. Later she studied for two years at the University of Washington and then returned to take up the inevitable and only career then open to women-that of teaching school. One of her classmates was E. S. Meany, the noted historian of Washington. She taught school at Everson and at Ferndale, where many of the pupil were older (she was then seventeen) and larger than she, and so far advanced that she tells that at times she had to work hard to "keep ahead" of her classes. Her career as a teacher was cut short, however, by the kindly fate that led her to the altar, on September 16, 1885, as the bride of Charles I. Roth, and a still more beautiful and helpful phase of her life began. Mrs. Roth has been the mother of two children: Edna, born December 23, 1886, the wife of W. H. Abbott, on of Bellingham's prominent attorneys; and Victor, born September 27, 1888. He is married to Margaret, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George E. Gage, and they have brought into the world another Charlotter Roth to carry on the high traditions of this race of pioneers. Little Charlotte is but one of the five grandchildren who brighten the years for Mr. and Mrs. Roth. There is a quartette at the Abbott home; three sturdy boys and a charming little daughter-Harrison, Waddington, Allison, and Keith Roth.
Mrs. Roth accounts it as one of the most gracious gifts of life to her that she was able to make happy the last days of her father and of her mother. During their declining years it was her happy lot to care for them and this she did with loving, reverent tenderness. To her the only perfect woman in the world has always been her mother, and every memory of her is dear and sacred. That this love and reverence was shared by all who knew Elizabeth Roeder was evidenced by the universal, heartfelt grief of the community at the time of her death, February 12, 1897.
Captain Henry Roeder survived his wife by more than five years, passing away on September 25, 1902, in his seventy-eight year. No history of Whatcom county could be written without recounting the deeds and the great life work of Henry Roeder and it is better to let that record stand as he made it in the annals of that history, than to attempt a repetition. It was the ancient Croesus who said: "Count ye no man happy until ye know the manner of his death." Captain Roeder died full of honors and full of years, with the voice of love calling him and the hands of love softening every infirmity of age. He had lived to see the fruition of many of his hopes and of the work of his hands and of his heart. He was held in reverence by an entire community which recognized him as the very father of their city and their county; the man from whose faith and energy and enterprise the greatness of Bellingham and Whatcom county had sprung. A Bellingham newspaper, commenting upon his death, said: "The death of Captain Henry Roeder has removed one of the foremost figures of the northwest. The old pioneer was the founder of Whatcom, the father of the town in every sense of the word. A trackless wilderness with unknown boundaries, peopled by savages; a land unclaimed, a vast empire as far from civilization as though it were on Venus or Mars, was the wilderness Henry Roeder came to plant. He came here when all the forces that build communities were chaos. There was land and water; sea and forest-that was all. But the land seemed good. There was future wealth in the forest, a possibility of the commerce, that he lived to see, in the great, quiet arm that stretched up from the sea and gently laved the silvery edge of the emerald shore. So he stayed and sowed the seed. He remained a time by the scene of his labors. Now comes the summons of the Grim Reaper and the harvest is not yet. Out of the wilderness he came to conquer half a century ago has been evolved evidences of a mighty civilization. On its shores are set the foundations of a future metropolis. Captain Roeder lived to enjoy some of the fruits of his early labors. But the reward goes largely to posterity. That is what the pioneer works for. He but paves the way for the generations that are to follow. There is but a handful of the brave band left. The American pioneer as a type is all but extinct. All respect and reverence to his memory. He has been the bravest of the brave, self-sacrificing, earnest and honest. To his sturdy, homely qualities American citizenship owes its greatness. he was an American pioneer in every sense of the term. The people of the city he founded will ever hold him in grateful remembrance."
With such memories as these upon which to look back, the life of Charlotte Roeder Roth has been blessed indeed, and to her for years it has been almost a sacred pleasure to interest herself in the history of Bellingham and Whatcom county and their pioneers. It is from this wealth of material, aided by the recollections of a lifetime, that much of this history of Whatcom county has been drawn.
Mrs. Roth is wont to lament that the necessities of pioneer life prevented her from obtaining all the academic education for which she longed. Perhaps she may not realize it, but she has been a student all her life. her information is exact and ready. her reading has been wide and discriminating. Her love of nature is reflected in her thoughts and deeds. One of the very prettiest of the annual events of Bellingham is due to her mother love and thoughtfulness, which are broad enough to embrace all the children of her friends and neighbors. When her own children were small she made Easter a great fete day for them and their little friends, and so dear the rite became that when they grew older she could not give it up, and so, for thirty years, on every Easter day, the beautiful lawn of the Roth home is made more beautiful by the bright faces and glad voices of happy childhood, searching for Easter eggs, enjoying the unfailing goodies and hearing the story of the Resurrection told in simple words from the lip of their gracious hostess. Mrs. Roth is a member of the Episcopalian church and takes active interest in the Aftermath Club and the Daughters of the American Revolution, and she is the historian of these societies. In her the sweet presence of her mother seems to dwell, blessing all with whom she comes in contact.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 22-30
Among the men of foreign nationality who have sought and utilized the opportunities of the Pacific northwest is numbered Fred Rothenbuhler, the owner of one of the fine ranches in the Nooksack valley. He was born in 1867 and is a native of Switzerland. He was educated in that country and in 1882, when a youth of fifteen, came to the United States in company with his brother Albert. They at once went to Ohio, joining an older brother, Jacob, who had established a cheese factory in that state in 1880. He sold the business and the subject of this review was employed by the new owner to manage the plant. In 1890 Jacob Rothenbuhler started for Washington and entered a homestead, securing a claim on the line between Skagit and Whatcom counties. In the following year Fred Rothenbuhler took up government land adjoining that of his brother and each developed a good farm, clearing their tracts, on which they made a number of improvements. In the spring of 1900 Fred Rothenbuhler went to Nome, Alaska, and for four years was engaged in prospecting in that country. He returned to Washington in 1904 and in the spring of 1905 bought his present ranch, which is situated near Clipper. He has cleared the place and the rich soil yields bountiful harvests. He has a good dairy and specializes in pure bred Guernsey cattle.
Mr. Rothenbuhler is liberal in his political views and casts his ballot for the candidate whom he deems best qualified for office, regarding party affiliation as a matter of secondary importance. He served as township supervisor for nine years and for twelve years has been a member of the school board. He has a high conception of the duties and responsibilities of citizenship and time has proven his worth. He has never been afraid of hard work, knowing that there is no excellence without labor, and he is deserving of much credit for what he has accomplished.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 476
Solomon Rouff, who spent the last seventeen years of his life in honorable retirement at Bellingham, was born in Germany in 1835 and had attained the age of four score years when he passed away on the 30th of June, 1915. He immigrated to this country as a youth of seventeen and for a number of years resided in the state of New York. At the time of the Civil war he enlisted in a New York regiment. He was promoted to corporal, and he was twice wounded during his three years of service in the Union army. Following the cessation of hostilities he removed westward to Missouri, where he devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits for a time. While residing in that state he filled the office of justice of the peace. From Missouri he made his way to Wyoming, where for a number of years he was engaged in the sheep business, with marked success. It was in 1898 that Mr. Rouff came to Whatcom county, Washington, and he erected a substantial and attractive home at Bellingham, where he spent the remainder of his life in well earned ease.
On the 7th of May, 1901, Mr. Rouff was united in marriage to Miss Jessie Ferguson, a native of Scotland, who was brought to the new world when a maiden of eleven summers and lived for a time with her father in Ontario, Canada. In the year 1892 she came to Bellingham, Washington, to join her brother, Hugh Ferguson, who had taken up his abode here in the '80s. About 1913 the latter moved to Alberta, Canada, where he owns a farm comprising more than four hundred acres, and he still has property holdings at Bellingham. By a previous union Solomon Rouff had one son, Willis Rouff, of Portland, who is married and is the father of two children: Nydia, now Mrs. J. H. Augustine, of Blackfoot, Idaho; and Zeney of Portland.
In his political views Mr. Rouff was a stanch republican, while his religious faith was indicated by his membership in the United Presbyterian church of Bellingham, to which his widow also belongs. The latter maintains an independent attitude in politics, supporting men and measures rather than party. Mr. Rouff held membership in the Grand Army of the Republic, thus maintaining pleasant relations with his old military comrades, and his widow belongs to the Women's Relief Corps and is also a charter member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union at Eureka. His loss was deeply regretted by an extensive circle of friends in Bellingham and vicinity and his memory is cherished in the hearts of his loved ones.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 135
Roy, Captain Alexander
Captain Alexander Roy is one of the best and most favorably known men in western Whatcom county and, after a long and honorable career as a navigator, he is now permanently located in one of the most beautiful and attractive spots in the county, where he expects to make his permanent home, enjoying in a large measure the fruits of his years of earnest toil in other fields of effort. He was born in London, England, in 1882, a son of W. H. and Georgina (Hall) Roy, both of whom died when he was about ten years of age. He received a limited education in the public schools of his home city, and when ten years of age went to sea as a cabin boy. By faithful attention to duty, he was advanced to deck boy, and then became an ordinary seaman. At the age of sixteen years he was on a "four-master," which on its first trip came around Cape Horn to Puget sound in 1897. He left the ship and remained here, settling at Seattle in 1899. In 1901 he entered the employ of the Pacific Pack & Navigation Company, which later became the Pacific-American Fisheries, and remained with that company for twenty years. He started with them as a deck hand, but was successively promoted until, in 1905, he became a captain and retained that position as long as he remained in the service. From 1901 to 1913 he worked around Puget sound and from 1913 to 1921, was sent each year to Alaska in the spring, returning in the fall, his headquarters being at King Cove and Port Maller. While there his duties consisted largely in piloting ships in and out through the intricate and dangerous passes of that coast. He also, while with the Pacific-American Fisheries, served as captain of fishing boats and also performed some land duties. In 1921 Captain Roy quit the sea and located on a tract of land at Lake Samish, which he had bought in 1913, and here he is developing the place into a summer resort, all the surrounding conditions and environment being favorable to such an enterprise. He has a little over forty-five acres of land, to which he has succeeded in having a road built, and here he has erected a number of cottages for rent, while the old homestead cabin, which was built there by Marion Grey, the original homesteader, will be utilized as a summer cottage. He had a hard time getting things established at the outstart, for there was no road and all building material had to be brought in by row boats, but since 1923 that difficulty has ceased to exist. The land was densely covered with alder and brush, but about ten acres of it is now cleared and the improvements already made augur well for the future popularity of the place for those desiring an ideal vacation spot. Captain Roy is also planning to engage in the chicken business.
Captain Roy was married, at South Bellingham, to Miss Ida Lundeen, who was born in Minnesota, the daughter of Peter and Ingeborg Lundeen, who came to Tacoma when Mrs. Roy was but an infant. The Captain has taken commendable interest in local public affairs, having served as chairman of the township board for three years up to 1925, and served one year as president of the Township Officer's Association of Whatcom county. He was also for two years clerk of Crescent township. He is a man of fine personal qualities, candid and straightforward in all his relations, and genial and friendly in his social life. Because of these qualities and his splendid record, both on sea and land, he has long been held in the highest esteem by all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 610-611
Rust, Nicholas J.
Nicholas J. Rust, chief of police of Bellingham, has been connected with that department for twenty years, and merit has placed him in this office of trust and responsibility. He was born August 6, 1873, in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, a son of Philip and Ellen (Fulk) Rust, both of whom are deceased. He was reared on his father's farm and his education was received in the public schools of Pennsylvania. In 1897, when a young man of twenty-four, he came to Washington and for some time was employed in the mills of Whatcom county.
In 1906 Mr. Rust obtained a position on the police force of Bellingham, and his ability and devotion to duty were soon rewarded by promotion. He was steadily advanced as he demonstrated his value to the city, and on August 1, 1924, he was made chief of police, receiving the appointment from Mayor Kellogg. Although a strict disciplinarian, Mr. Rust is always just and considerate in his attitude toward subordinates and concentrates every effort upon the systematic arrangement of the work and duties of the men under his charge in order that the safety and privileges of all law-abiding citizens may be maintained. He is a capable executive, with a detailed knowledge of the work, and meets with pose and efficiency any emergency arising in connection with his important duties.
On June 2, 1901, in Bellingham, Mr. Rust was married to Miss Maude E. Humphries, a native of Indiana and a daughter of Samuel D. and Mary A. Humphries. The mother was born in Alsace-Lorraine and the father's birth occurred in Canada. He took up a homestead at Lake Samish, Washington, in pioneer days and served at one time on the board of commissioners of Whatcom county, but he now resides in Seattle. Mr. and Mrs. Rust have become the parents of two children. Mary Ellen, the elder, was graduated from the State Normal School and is the wife of W. J. Minert, of Bellingham. The son, Samuel Philip, served for three years in the United States Marine and is now at home.
Mr. Rust is a stanch republican and has never wavered in his allegiance to the party. He belongs to the Optimists Club and along fraternal lines is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a man of honor, strong in his convictions, and his record is unsullied.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 90-91
Ryan, Mrs. Katherine M.
Mrs. Katherine M. Ryan was born at Providence, Rhode Island, November 4, 1853. In 1889 she came to Bellingham, Washington, where she resided for thirty-two years or until the time of her death which occurred on the 16th of June, 1921. She had no special library training but was interested in this work and was librarian in Bellingham since the establishment of a public library. Prior to that time she was librarian in a local private library, having unselfishly devoted thirty years of her life to this work. The entire city mourned her loss, as everyone with whom she came in contact was impressed with her attention to duty and her desire to serve others. She was a remarkable woman, always progressive, never impatient and keenly interested in people and her work. She was interested beyond her strength, and she took special delight in assisting children. She was farsighted and managed the library staff without the slightest trace of friction. She was entirely unselfish and always desirous of doing something for others. When her health failed and she was urged to take a much-needed vacation, she replied she would wait until the other members of the library staff had taken their vacations. She retained her interest in the libraries to the last, outlining some plans for her assistants the day before her death.
Mrs. Ryan was the mother of two daughters: Gertrude, who is the wife of Dr. A. Macrae Smith and with whom she made her home; and Mrs. Joseph L. Reed, of Valdez, Alaska. Mr. Reed is an attorney by profession and is commissioner for Alaska.
The following "Words of Appreciation and Love" were written by Ella Higginson: "In the death of Mrs. Katherine M. Ryan, the people of Bellingham will be poignantly bereft, and it is doubtful if the passing of any other resident could be so widely felt or cause so deep a sorrow. For thirty years Mrs. Ryan served the people of this city as librarian of the Public Library, cheerfully, faithfully and with infinite patience. Only those who were here when the library was started as a 'reading room' in a tiny room on Elk street, with a slender shelf of donated books and a few magazines, can realize how arduous her work has been through the years, how great her courage, how complete her devotion and self-effacement, and how splendid her final success.
"In new western towns thirty years ago, the library was usually the last institution of a public nature to be appreciated and supported. But about 1889, early in the life of the present city - which was first Sehome, then New Whatcom, then Whatcom and finally Bellingham - through the self-devotion of a few interested ones a humble beginning of the Bellingham Public Library was made; and later, through the generosity of P. B. Cornwall, a building was erected which made a home for the library until 1904 and 1907 Mr. Carnegie presented this far northwestern city with its two beautiful buildings for libraries - thus giving it the distinction of being the only city in the United States honored by two Carnegie libraries - Mr. Cornwall and Mr. Larrabee donating the sites.
"Through all these years Mrs. Ryan was connected with and absolutely devoted to the Bellingham Library and, with the exception of a very few years, was the head librarian; and for several years both libraries were under her direction. In the early days, before the library was financed by the city, funds for its support were raised in every possible way, monthly 'teas' at the library building finding special favor with the public.
"But Mrs. Ryan was the real inspiration and life of the work. No one could be associated with her or know her well without giving her love, admiration and respect. She was modest and retiring by nature, and of unusual gentleness and unselfishness. She was a woman of impressive dignity; and she was possessed of more diplomacy of a high order than any woman the present writer has known. Those of us who idle out our little lives for commonplace pleasures and personal gratification may well bow our heads before this woman who desired no word of praise for herself, who made ample amends for her lack of technical training by her fidelity and singleness of purpose; and who was so filled with love of her work the she unconsciously inspired every assistant with the same love and spirit, so that they always worked with her, rather than for her.
"She moved serenely, and with a steadfast faith that right would win, through all the trails and anxieties of library work; and never, during the thirty years I knew her - through many of which at various times I have worked with her - did I knew her to ascribe to herself credit for the success of the library, or for any praiseworthy achievement. It was always her hard-working assistants or the trustees who deserved praise - never herself; and several times, when she might have had an increased salary, she asked to have the salaries of her assistants increased, instead of her own. Surely these be sufficiently rare and noble qualities to exalt the one who possesses them; and now that she has smiled a gentle farewell and taken her unassuming departure from amongst us, we can dwell upon them only with tears."
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 720-723