Saar, John M.
Among the citizens of Whatcom county who by their earnest lives and splendid characters have earned the respect and esteem of all who know them is John M. Saar, who enjoys a high reputation as a successful miner and a public-spirited man whose support has always been given to the things that have contributed to the general welfare of the community. Mr. Saar was born at Roseburg, Oregon, on the 31st of July, 1859, and is a son of Peter and Margaret (Olmsted) Saar, the former of whom was born in Germany and the latter in Quincy, Illinois. Peter Saar was reared and educated in his native land and in 1852 emigrated to the United States, coming direct to Oregon and settling in Douglas county, where he took up a donation claim and was numbered among the pioneers of that locality. He and his wife owned a quarter section of land, and they remained residents of that place until 1865, when they came to King county, Washington, of which locality also they were pioneers. Here Mr. Saar engaged in farming and remained until 1883, when he came to the Nooksack valley and took up a one hundred and sixty acre preemption claim in section 12, near Sumas. He proved up on that claim, created a good farm and lived there until his death, which occurred in 1912. He had long survived his wife, who passed away in 1873. Of the eight children who blessed their union, six are now living, namely: John M., the immediate subject of this sketch; Mrs. Laura Clark, who lives at Granite, Idaho; George H., who lives at Latham, Alberta, Canada; Mrs. Carrie A. Berg, of Nooksack; Fred P., of Salem, Oregon; and Mrs. Maggie Sleasman, of Powell Butte, Oregon.
John M. Saar received a good education, attending the public schools at White River, Oregon, and spending two years at the Washington State University at Seattle [University of Washington]. In 1883 he came to Whatcom county and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres adjoining his father's ranch, and at once set himself to the task of clearing the land, which was heavily timbered. He succeeded in clearing off part of this tract, proved up on it and soon afterward sold it. He has always been deeply interested in mining and for many years has followed that occupation, being at the present time engaged in mining at Glacier, Whatcom county, during the summer seasons, while during the winter months he makes his home with Mr. Smith, at the "Milky Way" farm, near Sumas. He has been fairly successful as a miner and is in a position where he does not need to worry about financial affairs. He and Mr. Smith are two congenial "old timers," who together enjoy life as only kindred spirits can. Mr. Saar is a man of splendid character, keeps in touch with the events of the day, and maintains decided opinions on the issues of the times. He is a kindly and genial man, whom all respect and esteem. He has been a witness of and a participant in the wonderful transformation which has taken place in Whatcom county in the past forty years and is rightfully numbered among the old pioneers who laid the foundation for the splendid prosperity which now characterizes this favored region.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 523-524
Every country of Europe has contributed to our national growth, the people who have come to our shores being adventurous, independent, self-reliant and liberty loving. Thus it is that we have drained Europe of much of its best blood, and the result has been to stimulate our growth and development almost beyond calculation. In this class is Kaspar Sailer, one of the best known farmers and dairymen in the vicinity of Everson. He was born in Bavaria, Germany, on the 29th of April, 1862, and is a son of Raphael and Annie Sailer, both of whom also were natives of Bavaria. The father came to the United States in 1886, coming direct to Whatcom county, where he homesteaded forty acres of land on the Nooksack river. Soon afterward he bought forty acres adjoining, and to the farming of this eighty acre tract he devoted himself closely during the remainder of his life, his death occurring in 1903. His wife had died in Germany in 1870. They were the parents of two children - the subject of this sketch and a sister, Sophie, who died in her native land.
Kaspar Sailer secured his education in the public schools of Germany and then served four years in the German army. In 1888 he came to the United States, locating on the Nooksack river, near Everson, where he acquired eighty acres of land. He remained there until 1916, when he sold that place and bought a sixty acre tract of partly cleared land, a half mile east of Everson. He finished clearing this land and has since devoted his energies to its cultivation, in which he has been rewarded with a very satisfactory measure of success. He built a fine, modern house in 1919, and about that same time erected a large and commodious barn and a silo. He gives considerable attention to dairying, keeping twenty-five head of pure bred and good grade Holstein and Jersey cattle. He raises good crops of hay and grain and also raises corn for ensilage. He is an up-to-date farmer, does thoroughly whatever he undertakes and has gained an enviable reputation because of his enterprise and progressiveness. The ranch, which is located on the main highway to Sumas, is well improved in every essential respect and presents a most inviting appearance, Mr. Sailer being justifiably proud of what he has accomplished here.
Mr. Sailer was married, August
23, 1902, to Miss Lena Nieche, who was born in Nebraska, a daughter of Karl and Nettie Nieche, both of whom were
natives of Germany, whence they came to the United States about 1872. They settled in Nebraska, where the father
followed the carpenter's trade up to the time of his death, which occurred in December, 1922. His wife passed away
in February, 1919. They were the parents of eight children, all of whom are living, namely: Mrs. Minnie Dickman,
who lives in Nebraska; Mrs. Annie Grimm, who lives in Everson, Washington; Mrs. Cardena Homlet, who lives in Nebraska;
Adolph, of Nebraska; Lena, the wife of the subject; Mrs. Mary Greer, who lives in Bellingham; Wilhelm, of Nebraska,
and George, who lives in Concrete, Whatcom county. To Mr. and Mrs. Sailer have been born three children, namely:
September October 7, 1904; Nettie, born September 10 8, 1905,
and Karl, born May 15, 1912, all of whom were born on the river ranch near Everson. Mr Sailer is a member of the
Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, in the operations of which he takes a deep interest. He is a public-spirited
man, giving his earnest support to every movement for the advancement of the community along all normal lines.
He is a liberal giver to all local benevolent or charitable objects and is widely known throughout this section
of the county as a man of splendid habits and sterling character. He is friendly and genial in his social relations
and holds an enviable place in the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 595-596
Among the foreign-born citizens of Whatcom county, one of the most enterprising and progressive is Edward Salstad, a well-known and successful farmer of Ferndale township, where he has been engaged in farming for over twenty years, during which time he has won a high place in the estimation of his neighbors and fellow citizens. He has not only prospered in his own affairs, but has assisted and encouraged various enterprises which have in a very definite way contributed to the welfare of the community. Mr. Salstad was born in Norway on the 1st day of april, 1869, and is a son of Matt and Bereth (Johnson). His parents, who were natives of Norway, had a small farm there, on which they kept a number of cows, and the father was also engaged in the fishing business. In 1908 he came to the United States and located in Rosseau county, Minnesota, where he became the owner of a small farm, and there spent the remainder of his days, his death occurring in 1917. He is survived by his widow, who is still living there, at the age of seventy-nine years.
Edward Salstad was educated in the public schools of his native land and then turned his attention to the fishing business and also became a sailor. In 1893 he came to the United states, settling in Minnesota, where he was employed on farms until 1898, when he took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in Rosseau county, to the cultivation and improvement of which he devoted his close attention until 1904. He was a pioneer in his locality and he and his good wife endured many hardships and privations during those early years there. When their first baby arrived, they were sixty miles from the nearest doctor and the mercury stood at forty-five degrees below zero. In 1904 they came to Whatcom county, Washington, and bought twenty acres of land in Ferndale township, the land being densely covered with brush and stumps. However, Mr. Salstad was a man of brawn and courage, the word idleness being unknown to him, and in the course of time he succeeded in creating a splendid farm, which he is still operating, together with forty acres adjoining his place on the east, which he bought in 1918. He here carries on general farming, raising hay, grain and potatoes, as well as a full line of vegetables, and also has a nice bearing orchard. He keeps five good grade milk cows, one being a pure-bred Jersey. He has been indefatigable in his labors, and in the cultivation of his land and the care of the products, he exercises sound judgment and wise discrimination being recognized by his fellow citizens as a farmer of unusual capability and sound common sense.
Mr. Salstad has always been deeply interested in educational affairs, aiding and encouraging in every way the most modern facilities for the proper education of the youth of the community. On January 1, 1923, he was elected a director and chairman of the board of trustees of the Meridian consolidated district high school, comprising what was formerly seven district grammar schools and served two years as chairman of the board. Mr. Salstad is equally earnest in his advocacy of good roads, which he feels are necessary to the proper development of any county or community. He was one of the charter members of North Bellingham Grange, which was organized in 1907, and is a stockholder in and a director of the Grange Warehouse Company, at Bellingham. He is also a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, a member of the Farmers Mutual Telephone Company, a member of the Farmers Mutual Insurance Company, of Enumclaw, King county, and a member of the Washington Co-operative Poultry and Egg Association.
In March, 1899, Mr. Salstad was married to Miss Anna hemmingsen, who was born and reared in Faribault county, Minnesota, a daughter of Ole and Maren (Ericksen) Hemmingsen. Her parents were natives of Norway and came to the United states in the late '50's, settling in Minnesota, where they were engaged in farming until 1907, when they came to Whatcom county and bought a sixty-acre farm in Ferndale township, known as the Adam ranch. The father died in 1916 and the mother is still living there, at the advanced age of over ninety years. To Mr. and Mrs. Salstad have been born six children: Mrs. May Kathman, who is a graduate of high school and business college; Otto, who is a high school graduate and is planning to attend college; Arne, Norman, a graduate of the Whatcom high school; Thelma and Helen, who are at home. By a straight forward and commendable course Mr. Salstad made his way from a somewhat humble environment to a highly respected position in the business world, winning the hearty admiration of the people of his adopted country and earning a reputation as an enterprising, broad-minded, charitable and upright citizen, elements of character which the public has not been slow to recognize and appreciate.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 680-681
Sampley, Charles Blaine
Charles Blaine Sampley has chosen the practice of law as his life work and the nature and importance of the legal interests intrusted to his care establish him as one of Bellingham's leading attorneys. He was born November 17, 1884, in Elliott, Iowa, and his parents, John D. and Bettie (Ramsey) Sampley, were both natives of Perry county, Indiana. They migrated to Illinois in 1891, and both have passed away.
Charles B. Sampley was reared on his father's farm, attending the district school near his home, and completed a course in the high school at Bethany, Illinois. He received his higher education in the university of Valparaiso, Indiana, and was graduated with the class of 1907, winning the degree of LL. B. In July of the same year he began his professional career in Bellingham and has also maintained an office in Lynden, Washington. He is a wise counselor and is equally able in his presentation of a case before the courts. He enjoys a large practice and is devoted to the interests of his clients, adhering at all time to the highest standard of professional ethics.
On June 7, 1908, Mr. Sampley married Miss Laura Grimson, a daughter of Lorus and Toba Grimson, who came to Bellingham in 1905. Violet, the only child of this union, is attending high school, and she was chosen queen of the tulip festival of 1925. Mr. Sampley is nonpartisan in his political views and casts his ballot for the candidate whom he considers best qualified to conserve the public weal. He has been city attorney of Lynden and served for two years as game commissioner of the county. He is a member of the Optimists Club and along fraternal lines is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Sampley is a man of broad and liberal views, in hearty sympathy with every movement for public betterment, and stands deservedly high in the esteem of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 270
Among the many desirable citizens whom Canada has furnished to the United States is numbered Harry Sanderson, one of the successful poultrymen of Whatcom county. In 1902, when a young man of nineteen, he came to northwestern Washington and obtained work in the logging camps of Whatcom county. He was thus employed for a number of years and in May, 1922, purchased five acres of land in the vicinity of Bellingham. He now has a fine poultry ranch and his prosperity is based on scientific methods and untiring application.
In 1922 Mr. Sanderson was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Pedlow, and they have a son, Harry, Jr. Mr. Sanderson exercises his right of franchise in support of the candidates and measures of the democratic party and his interest in the development of his district is deep and sincere. He has lived in the county for over twenty years and enjoys the esteem of many friends, who are thoroughly appreciative of his good qualities.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 943
Sandison, J. Wilbur
J. Wilbur Sandison, veteran photographer at Bellingham, for more than twenty years established in business in that city and thus one of the best known men in Whatcom county, was born on a farm in Kent county, Ontario, Canada, and is a son of William and Theresa (Wigle) Sandison, the former now deceased while the latter is still living in Ontario. Reared in his native land, J. Wilbur Sandison was given a public school education and early became employed in mercantile pursuits, so continuing until 1899, when he went to Vancouver, British Columbia, and took up the "art and mystery" of photography. Later he was for some time engaged as a practical photographer in California and the Hawaiian Islands. In 1904 he came to Bellingham, established business here and has since been thus engaged, with a well equipped and admirably appointed studio at 126 1/2 West Holly street, widely known throughout this section of the northwest for the high quality of the products of his art.
In 1908, at Kingsville, Ontario, Mr. Sandison was united in marriage to Miss Harriet M. Woodiwiss, who also was born in Ontario, and to this union tow sons have been born, Earl Wilbur and Loren N, but the latter died in 1914. Mr. and Mrs. Sandison are republicans and are interested in local civic affairs and in the general affairs of the community of which they long have been members. Mr. Sandison is a member of the Kiwanis Club of Bellingham, is a Scottish Rite Mason and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine. He is also affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 425
Sandwick, Otto A.
Otto A. Sandwick, proprietor of a confectionery and tobacco shop, news stand and soft drink parlor on Harris avenue, has been in business there for more than twenty years. He is of European birth but has been a resident of this country since the days of his boyhood and of Bellingham for more than a quarter century. Mr. Sandwick was born in the kingdom of Norway, May 10, 1876, and was sixteen years of age when he came to the United States in 1892. For five years he was a resident of Michigan and then went to Minnesota, where he remained two years, at the end of which time he came to Washington and located in the Bay settlements, where he since has made his home, thus being familiar with every step of the progress that has been made in and about Bellingham during the past quarter of a century.
For some time after his arrival here in 1899 Mr. Sandwick was variously employed and in 1904 opened a confectionery store on Harris avenue and became actively engaged in business in Bellingham, being now one of the old established merchants of the city. He makes his own candies and the products of his establishment have for years had a high reputation throughout this trade area. His place is well stocked and furnished in a manner fitting to the demands of the times and has long been considered one of the most popular places of refreshment in the city.
In 1905, in Bellingham, Mr. Sandwick was united in marriage to Miss Olga Jacobson, daughter of J. N. Jacobson, one of the pioneers of Bellingham, and they have a daughter, Olive, and two sons, Joseph and John. Mr. and Mrs. Sandwick are members of the Lutheran church and are republicans.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 733
Dick Schallhorn, a well known, progressive and substantial farmer and landowner of the Custer neighborhood, also giving much attention to the dairy industry, has been a resident of this state for about fifteen years and has become definitely established here. He was born at Grand Junction, Van Buren County, Michigan, December 18, 1890, a son of John Schallhorn and wife, natives of Germany, who were married in Michigan and are still living there. John Schallhorn came to this country in 1880 and was for years engaged in railway service in Michigan. He is now owner of a small farm on which he and his wife make their home. They are the parents of seven children.
Reared in Michigan, Dick Schallhorn was educated in the public schools and for a time was engaged in railway service. He remained there until after he had attained his majority when, in 1912, he came to Washington and was employed in the shingle mills at Port Angeles. In that year he married and continued to make his home at Port Angeles until 1922, when he settled on the farm of eighty acres on which he is now living in the Custer neighborhood in this county and where he and his family are quite comfortably situated, Since taking possession of this place Mr. Schallhorn has done considerable additional clearing and now has an admirable dairy farm there, with thirty or more graded dairy cows, this herd being led by two registered bulls, and he has his plans well in hand for the development there of a fine herd. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairy Association and his operations are carried on in accordance with up-to-date methods. In addition to this tract Mr. Schallhorn rents an adjacent "eighty" and is extending his agricultural operations in progressive fashion.
It was on August 27, 1912, at Victoria, that Mr. Schallhorn was united in marriage to Mrs. Ada (Nace) Vaughn, widow of Floyd Vaughn, who had settled at Custer about 1900, and to this union two daughters have been born Pauline and Eva, but the latter died in infancy. By her former marriage Mrs. Schallhorn was the mother of four daughters, namely: Reese, who married Tom Stafford of Bellingham and has a daughter; Nellie, wife of H. W. Wakefield of Bellingham; Grace Vaughn, at home with her mother; and Edrie, who died in 1912. Mrs. Schallhorn was born in Minnesota and is a daughter of James B. and Nellie (Palmer) Nace. The latter was born in Pennsylvania and was teaching school in Minnesota at the time of her marriage there. J. B. Nace, who was for years a well known resident of the Custer neighborhood in this county and who was a victim of a fatal accident in Bellingham in 1919, was a native of Ohio, and as a young man went to the west, being employed on cattle ranches until after his marriage in Minnesota. In 1888 he came with his family to Washington and was variously employed in the logging and lumbering industry here, living at Bellingham, Marietta and Lynden until 1900, when he established his home on a quarter section of land in the Custer neighborhood and settled down to clear that place and make a farm out of it, and there he made his home until his tragic death in 1919.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 396
Scheldrup, S. K.; D.C., Ph. C.
Dr. S. K. Scheldrup, a successful chiropractor, practicing in Bellingham, is one of the valuable citizens whom the Scandinavian countries have furnished to the United States. A native of Norway, he was born March 17, 1892. After the completion of his high school course he entered the University of Christiania, from which he was graduated in 1911, and in 1912, when a youth of twenty, he left the land of his birth and went to Alaska, spending seven years in that country. During the World war he served in the United States army, and he was afterward a student at the Palmer School in Davenport, Iowa, from which he was graduated with the class of 1923, receiving the degrees of D. C. and Ph. C. He then came to Bellingham, securing suite No. 210 in the Kulshan building, where he has since maintained an office, and he is now caring for a large practice. He is an able exponent of the chiropractic school of healing, correctly applying his scientific knowledge to the needs of his patients, and his labors have been attended by gratifying results.
On September 8, 1925, Dr. Scheldrup was united in marriage to Miss Helen Lindley, a member of one of the well known families of Bellingham. He belongs to the American Legion, the Scandinavian Fraternity of America and Delta Sigma Chi, a college society. Dr. Scheldrup subordinates all other interests to the demands of his profession, constantly striving to perfect himself in his chosen line of work, and displays in his character the hardihood and many admirable traits of his Norse ancestors.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 78-79
Among the men of earnest purpose and upright life who have gained a marked degree of material success and at the same time have contributed in a definite way to the progress and prosperity of their respective communities, the subject of this brief sketch is deserving of specific mention, for no man in his locality enjoys to a greater extent the sincere respect and esteem of his fellowmen. Charles Schelin was born in the state of Colorado in 1885 and is a son of C. E. and Otilda (Peterson) Schelin, both of whom were natives of Sweden. The father died many years ago in Colorado, and his widow, who afterward became the wife of a Mr. Linseth, is now living in Ladner, British Columbia. Our subject's family came to Seattle in an early day, remaining there but a month, when they went just across the border into British Columbia, but in 1888 they came to Whatcom county and located on what is now the De Graff place, our subject's step-father buying one hundred and sixty acres, on which much clearing was done.
Charles Schelin received his education at the North Prairie school and then started out on his own account, going to work in the woods. After his marriage, in 1910, he went to Vancouver, where he remained during the greater part of the ensuing four years, though traveling back and forth a number of times. In 1914 he came to his present place, which he operated also renting other land near by. This place was homesteaded by his father-in-law, August S. Klocke, about 1872, he being one of the very first settlers in Lynden. At that time this locality was veritably a wilderness, without roads, and even few trails, but he and his family cleared about two hundred acres of land here and made it their home for a number of years. Mr. Schelin how operates twenty acres of his own and rents twenty acres additional. He is giving his attention mainly to dairy farming, having twelve good milk cows and a registered Jersey sire. He raises practically all the necessary feed on his farm and has been very successful in his operations. He is energetic and up-to-date in his work and is numbered among the prosperous and influential farmers of his locality. The buildings on the farm are old but substantial construction, the barn having been built forty-seven years ago, while the house, which is fifty years old, is constructed of hand-sawed logs.
In 1910 Mr. Schelin was married to Miss Fredericka Klocke, who born in the house in which she now lives, a daughter of August S. and Freda (Weller) Klocke, the former of whom died in 1912. To Mr. and Mrs. Schelin has been born a daughter, Thelma, who is now in school. Mr. Schelin is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Grange. He is a man of broad views and sound opinions and has shown himself the possessor of good business ability and discrimination in his affairs, while his actions have been so ordered as to earn for him the unbounded confidence and good will of his fellowmen throughout this section of the country.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 307
Schilling, Frederick A.
Among the sagacious and aggressive business men who are working earnestly to extend Bellingham's commercial relations, none is better equipped for this task that is Frederick A. Schilling, Sr., the founder and heard of one of the city's important productive industries. A native of Germany, he was born in 1860, and he remained in the fatherland until he reached the age of twenty-two years. For some time he lived in New York city and then started for the west, with Minnesota as his destination. He aided in establishing the Minneapolis Iron & Wire Works and later helped organize the Flour City Ornamental Iron Company, of which he was secretary and treasurer. In 1905 he sold his interest in the corporation and for several years was engaged in ranching in northern Idaho.
In 1921 Mr. Schilling came to Washington, choosing Bellingham as the scene of his labors, and started the Schilling Iron & Wire Works. The business was incorporated in 1925, and it is now conducted under the style of the Schilling-Everetz Company. The officers are Frederick A. Schilling, Sr., president; Knut Everetz, vice president; R. V. Schilling, secretary; and Frederick A. Schilling, Jr., treasurer. The undertaking was the first of the kind established in this part of the United States, and since its inception the business has enjoyed a steady growth, having become essential to the district which it serves. The factory was completed in September, 1924, and is located on Ellis street. The building is fifty by one hundred and fifteen feet in dimensions and of concrete construction, and it contains a bronze foundry and a machine shop equipped with everything necessary for turning out first-class work. The company specializes in ornamental work of bronze, iron and wire and has about thirty employes, all of whom are skilled artisans. In the execution of contracts the firm is prompt, reliable and efficient, and the output of its plant adorns many of the finest buildings in Bellingham and other cities of the northwest. Mr. Schilling possesses an aptitude for successful management and carefully supervises every detail of the business, never allowing an inferior piece of work to leave his plant.
In 1890 Mr. Schilling was united in marriage to Miss Elinor Louise Trepte, also a native of Germany, and eight children were born to them. Alfred G., the eldest son, died at the age of seven years, and the others are: Mrs. Frank Dunfee, of Seattle; Elinor Louise, the wife of M. A. Sirjord, also of Seattle; Frederick A., Jr., R. V. and Charles G., all three of whom are married and associated with their father in business; Margaret, who follows the profession of teaching; and Herbert, at home. Mr. Schilling belongs to the Concordia Society of Bellingham and is chairman of its executive board. He owes his rise in the business world to a courageous spirit, tenacity of purpose and the ability to meet and master situations, and a prosperous, rapidly growing industry is the visible result of a life of rightly directed endeavor.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 71-72
Among the honored citizens of Whatcom county who have passed on to higher scenes of action was Fred Schneider, a man who during his residence in this community merited and received the highest measure of respect and esteem. A man of honest motives, pure purposes and kindliest feeling toward all, he enjoyed a wide acquaintance, among whom were many loyal and devoted friends. His domestic and social relations were of the most pleasant character, and the fact that his surroundings were such as to make life enjoyable was due to his individual efforts, his affable and courteous treatment of others and his strict adherence to justice in all his dealings.
Mr. Schneider was born in Switzerland, December 8, 1860, and was a son of Benedict and Mary Schneider, also natives of the little mountain republic of Europe. When he was twelve years of age he accompanied his parents on their removed to the United States, the family settling in Knox county, Illinois. After living there a few years, they moved to Nodaway county, Missouri, where the father carried on farming.
In 1882 Fred Schneider came to Whatcom county and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in Delta township, four and a half miles north of Ferndale. He at once went to work clearing the land, which was covered with brush and stumps, and succeeded in placing one hundred acres under cultivation, living there until his death, which occurred October 5, 1919. His memory will long be revered by the people who knew him and admired him, for he was a man in whom all took a delight owing to his sterling honesty, his charitable nature and his readiness to help in the furtherance of any movement looking to the upbuilding of the community. He was one of the sterling pioneers of this locality to whom the community owes much, for he came here when the land was little more than a wilderness.
Mr. Schneider was married January 9, 1895, to Miss Margaret Grant, who was born in Virginia City, Nevada, a daughter of Michael and Margaret (Fay) Grant. Her parents were both of Irish birth, the father having been born in County Wicklow and the mother in County Armagh. Michael Grant went to Australia in his boyhood and remained there until 1885, when he came to the United States, locating in Whatcom county, Washington, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Delta township. To the improvement and cultivation of this land he devoted himself indefatigably, developing a good farm, and there he spent the remainder of his days, his death occurring October 20, 1904. His wife passed away August 20, 1909. They were the parents of six children, namely: Mrs. Alice Molloy; Mrs. Annie Dewitt; Catherine, who died in infancy; Margaret, now Mrs. Schneider; Josephine and Patrick Michael. To Mr. and Mrs. Schneider were born seven children, namely: Mrs. Mary Faye Chichester, born January 13, 1896, has two daughters, Dorothy Marie, born March 30, 1922, and Mildred Arlene, born January 9, 1924; Michael E., born August 10, 1898, is married and has three children, Katherine May, born December 2, 1920, Doris May, born November 23, 1922, and Helene Marie, born March 13, 1925; Josephine Barbara, born August 17, 1899, became the wife of Mason Oxford, and they have a daughter, Alice May, born May 15, 1925; Mrs. Margaret Blanch McKenzie, born January 19, 1900, lives in Mount Vernon; James Leo, born July 2, 1901, is at home; Annetta, born January 6, 1908, is in high school; and Fred Grant, the youngest, was born November 25, 1912. All of the children were born on the present homestead and all have been given the advantage of good educations. Mrs. Schneider is continuing the operation of the farm, having one hundred and fifteen acres under cultivation, raising hay and grain. She keeps eighteen good grade Holstein cows and several head of young stock, as well as two horses for farm work. She is a lady of splendid tact and sound business judgment, is managing her affairs in an able and business like manner and has long enjoyed to a marked degree the admiration and respect of all who know her. He home has long been noted for its genial and hospitable spirit and she has a host of warm and devoted friends.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 806-809
Owing to his long connection with the agricultural affairs of the western part of Whatcom county over a long period of years, the name of John Schneider needs no introduction to the readers of this work. In a straightforward, conservative manner he has sought to perform the duties of citizenship while advancing his own interests, and his support has always been depended upon in the furtherance of any laudable movement having for its object the welfare of the general public. John Schneider was born in Switzerland, June 25, 1866, and is a son of Benedict and Mary Schneider, also natives of that country. The father brought his family to the United States in 1872 and for awhile they lived in Knox county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. Subsequently they moved to Nodaway county, Missouri, where they lived until 1882, when they came to Whatcom county, the father homesteading one hundred and sixty acres of land in Delta township, four and a half miles north of Ferndale. Here they developed a good farm and there the parents spent the rest of their lives, the father dying January 14, 1912, and the mother passing away in 1907. When the family came here the land was covered with stumps and brush, which he and his sons were compelled to clear off before the soil could be cultivated, but eventually a fine farm home was developed here. Mr. and Mrs. Schneider had eight children, namely: Mary, deceased; Sanders; Frederick, deceased; Tolena, deceased; John; Godfrey; Mrs. Annie Wilson, who lives in Bellingham; and Mrs. Rosie Wilson, of Delta township.
John Schneider received his education in the public schools of Missouri and went to work, assisting his father, when twelve years of age. Excepting for odd times when he went out to work in order to earn a little extra money, he remained on the home farm until forty years of age. When he was twenty-four years of age he took up a homestead adjoining his father's place, on which he worked at odd times, and he also worked in the timber, getting out logs and bolts for sawmills, to which he hauled the timber with his own teams. In 1883 he built his first house, which bore the distinction of being the first built of sawed lumber in the district. In 1913 it was replaced by a fine modern residence. In 1890 he built a barn, which was greatly enlarged in 1900, and he has made many other substantial improvements on his place, which now ranks among the most valuable farms in this locality. Mr. Schneider keeps sixteen good grade Holstein cows and some young stock, as well as two horses for general farm work. The land is devoted to the raising of hay, grain and root crops. Mr. Schneider is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and of the Grange.
On March 10, 1923, Mr. Schneider was married to Miss Helen Copeman, who was born in Holland, a daughter of George and Jennie (Nyenhins) Copeman, who were lifelong residents of the Netherlands. They were the parents of four children, of whom two are living, Mrs. Schneider and Mrs. Pearl Von Euw, who lives at Lawrence, Whatcom county. Fraternally Mr. Schneider is a member of Ferndale Lodge, Knights of Pythias. Strong mental powers, invincible courage and a determined purpose that hesitates at no opposition have so entered into his composition as to insure his success, and among his fellow farmers he is held in the highest regard. He is interested in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community and cooperates in all measures for the betterment of local conditions. Because of his estimable qualities of character, he enjoys the unbounded confidence and good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 802-803
Whatcom county's history is not an old one, being the record of the steady growth of a community planted in the wilderness scarcely more than a half century ago, and this section of the state has reached its magnitude of today without other means than that of persistent and well applied industry. The people who redeemed the land from the wilderness were strong-armed, hardy men who hesitated at no difficulty and whom hardships had little to appal. Their efficient efforts have been fully appreciated by those who followed them and builded on the foundation which they laid so broad and deep. Among these early comers was the subject of this sketch, whose career here has been such as to gain for him an enviable standing among the best citizens of his locality.
Rudolf Schott was born in Mecklenburg, north Germany, on the 30th of April, 1871, and is a son of Fritz and Louisa (Beotefur) Schott, the former of whom was a shoemaker by trade, and both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of the fatherland, where they passed away. Our subject attended the public schools of his native country, remaining at home until he attained his majority, when he emigrated to the United States, locating in Nebraska, when [where?] he went to work as a farm hand, remaining there about five years. He then rented a farm in that state, to which he applied himself closely until New Year's day, 1900, when he came to Whatcom county. Five families in his community had banded together and sent one of their number to Whatcom county to investigate conditions. He reported favorably and the five families hired a railroad car, which brought them and their effects to Bellingham. They had to come by a round-about way, for a bridge was washed out, and they were sent from Seattle to Sumas, thence to Everson, where they stopped for a time, and then went on the Bellingham. After looking the country over, Mr. Schott and Charles Elsmer bought eighty acres of land near the Greenwood school, where the former remained about a year, and then, in 1901, he came to his present place, buying forty acres of land, to which he later added forty acres more. About one and a half acres of the land were cleared except for stumps, many of which were in good condition. Thus he was able to trade shingle bolts taken from the stumps on one and a half acres of cleared land for eighty thousand shingles, with which he roofed his new barn. He took off about sixteen thousand cords of shingle bolts from his first forty acres of land, and he now has about sixty acres cleared. He first lived in an old log house that was on the place when he bought it but later built a fine residence, which has since been the family home. In early days the old road to Lynden followed the river, and on the trip to town Mr. Schott would have to open about a dozen gates. When he first came here he took his butter to Bellingham, but later sold his cream. He raises good crops of potatoes and hay but is now giving his attention principally to dairy farming, keeping sixteen good milk cows, in the handling of which he has met with splendid success. With the exception of some grain, he raises practically all the feed necessary for his stock, and also has six acres in berries, which he has handled with success and profit. He keeps his farm well improved, being methodical and up-to-date in all his operations, and has gained a well deserved reputation as an enterprising and progressive farmer.
In 1897, in Nebraska, Mr. Schott was married to Miss Mary Gees, who was born and reared in that state, a daughter of John and Rika Gees, the former of whom was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, and the latter in Pommeirn, Germany, their marriage occurring in that country. They emigrated to the United States, locating in Springfield, Illinois, in the '60s, latter [later?] going to Nebraska, where they established their permanent home. To Mr. and Mrs. Schott have been born fourteen children, namely: George, who is married and has one child; William, who lives in Idaho, is married and has five children; Mrs. Lena Rolland, of Bellingham, who is the mother of five children; Ella, who is the wife of Edward Lehman, of Nooksack, and the mother of three children; Mrs. Ida Wilson, who is the mother of two children; Lucy, who is at home; Alma, who is the wife of Will Kirkman and the mother of one child; Rudy, who is married and has one child; and Arnold, Theodore, Elma, Inez, Marion and Leona. Mr. Schott has taken a citizen's interest in the public affairs of his community, having served for seventeen years as a member of the school board, in which capacity he rendered effective and appreciated service. In all possible ways he has cooperated with his fellow citizens in supporting measures for the advancement of the public welfare. He is a broadminded, progressive citizen, generous in his attitude toward all benevolent objects, and his genial and friendly manner and kindly and accommodating disposition have gained for him the unbounded esteem and good will of the entire community in which he lives.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 340-341
Schumacher, Antone Martin Christian
Antone Martin Christian Schumacher, one of the pioneer merchants of Whatcom county, has made his own way in the world, overcoming many obstacles in his struggle to achieve success, and is now numbered among the substantial business men of Sumas. A native of Denmark, he was born in Scherrebeck, January 28, 1857, and in 1882, when a young man of twenty-five, decided to take advantage of the many opportunities for advancement offered in the new world. After his arrival in the United States he made his way to Nebraska and for several years had charge of the store of Matesen Brothers at Blair. In January, 1890, he revisited Europe, traveling in Belgium, Holland and Denmark, and then returned to the land of his adoption. After reaching Nebraska he continued westward to Seattle, Washington, going from that city to New Whatcom, and in November, 1890, arrived in Sumas. He opened the second general store in Sumas, making a specialty of miners' supplies, and afterward became a dealer in men's furnishings, which he has since handled exclusively. He carries the best grade of stock, choosing his merchandise with taste and discrimination, and caters to a desirable class of patrons, whose confidence he has won by close adherence to the principles of truth and honesty. He is a sagacious business man and his store reflects his enterprising spirit and modern ideas.
Mr. Schumacher has wisely invested his capital in farm land and owns a valuable ranch, which is situated in the province of British Columbia, Canada. He belongs to the Masonic order and is the oldest past master of Fidelity Lodge No. 105, F. & A. M. He has taken the thirty-second degree in the order and is a life member of Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine. In politics he is nonpartisan and his support is always to be relied upon in the furtherance of measurers for public betterment. His life has been one of unceasing industry, directed into useful channels, and his prosperity is well deserved.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 253
Among the younger representatives of business interests at Bellingham is N. Schuman, vice president and secretary of the Schuman Steel & Machinery Company. A native of Russia, he was born on the 1st day of September, 1898, his parents being L. and Dora Schuman. The year 1903 witnessed the father's arrival at Bellingham, Washington, where with his wife and the younger children of the family he joined his son, Dave Schuman, who had settled here in 1900.
It was in 1906 that L. Schuman and his son, Dave Schuman, established the Bellingham Junk Company on West Holly street, while three years later a removal was made to No. 1011 West Holly street. During the past five years the business has been conducted in a store, twenty-five by one hundred and twenty-five feet, which the company owns at No. 1010 West Holly street and the dimensions of which are fifty by one hundred feet. The Bellingham Junk Company, incorporated in 1919, was organized as the Schuman Steel & Machinery Company in 1924, and the following officers were elected: Dave Schuman, president; N. Schuman, vice president and secretary;; and L. Schuman, treasurer. The concern handles new and second-hand machinery, steel, logging and mill supplies and has developed an extensive and profitable enterprise of this character.
N. Schuman, whose name introduces this review, belongs to the Chamber of Commerce. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and with the local organization of the Independent Order of B'nai B'rith, of which he has been president for two terms and is now serving as secretary. A young man of excellent executive ability and genuine personal worth, he has gained well deserved popularity in both social and business circles of Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 763-764
Depending upon his own resources for advancement, Henry Schupp has achieved noteworthy success as a hotel operator and belongs to that select company of aggressive, farsighted business men who have made Bellingham what it is today, one of the most enterprising and prosperous cities in the state. He is a native of Germany but has lived in the United States since young manhood and is thoroughly American in thought, spirit and interest. He was educated in the public schools of his native country and in the night schools of Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1889 he sought his fortune in the mines of Montana. He was also connected with the hotel business in that state. In 1900 he came to Washington. He spent two years in Olympia, associated with Leopold F. Schmidt, and in 1902 arrived in Bellingham. He at once entered prominently into the business life of the city, and with Mr. L. F. Schmidt built the Bellingham Brewery, which proved a successful venture. He is now secretary, treasurer and manager of Hotel Leopold, of which F. M. Kenny is vice president. It was opened May 25, 1913, and was named in honor of Leopold F. Schmidt, president of the company controlling the business. The building was erected in 1912 and 1913 by the Byron Hotel Company and the business was founded by Captain Byron, who constructed the Byron Hotel in 1906.
Hotel Leopold is centrally located and its furnishings, accommodations and service are modern and up-to-date in every respect. It is the largest hotel in northwestern Washington, containing two hundred rooms, one hundred of which are provided with private baths, and there are twenty-five sample rooms. The hotel is noted for the excellence of its cuisine and the main dining room has accommodations for two hundred guests. The tulip room will seat two hundred and fifty persons, and the hotel is thus able to accommodate some five hundred diners. Hotel Henry, under the same management, was established by Mr. Schupp at Bellingham in 1923 and has also found favor with the traveling public. It contains one hundred rooms and fifty baths and is the newest and most progressive hotel on Puget Sound. It reflects an atmosphere of refinement but not exclusiveness, for here "you can come as you are." The hostelry is comfortable, homelike and unequaled in many ways. This is the only hotel known to serve its guests in their rooms with a complimentary breakfast, consisting of a pot of coffee, toast, marmalade, butter and cream, the the polite request: "Don't tip the boy." That Mr. schupp has thoroughly grasped the art of modern hotel keeping is indicated by the high degree of efficiency maintained in the operation of the business, which reflects his foresight, capacity for detail and administrative power. He puts forth every effort to promote the comfort and well being of those who are his guests, and an ever increasing clientele is evidence of the prestige enjoyed by Hotel Leopold and Henry.
In 1888 Mr. Schupp married Miss Katherine Sengenberger, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and they have three adopted children: Katherine, who is the wife of Briggs Burpee, of Bellingham; Henry, a student in the State College, where he is taking a course in civil engineering; and Margaret, a high school student. Mr. Schupp is a stanch republican and a citizen who loses no opportunity to exploit the many resources and attractions of his community and state. He is a director of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and served for several years on the board of park commissioners. He is a member of the Rotary and Country Clubs and the Washington Hotel Men's Association. He is also connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the United Commercial Travelers. Mr. Schupp has a wife acquaintance among the tourists who visit this region each season in large numbers, attracted by its scenic grandeur. He is a gentleman of courteous bearing, genial nature and much personal magnetism, exceptionally well fitted for the business in which he is engaged, and numbers his friends by the thousands. His success is the merited reward of a life of well directed industry and his labors have been of signal service to Bellingham, in which he is highly esteemed.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 481-482
Henry Schwarze, a veteran of the Civil war and one of the old time building contractors now living pleasantly retired in Bellingham, has been a resident of this city for more than thirty-five years and there are few men in Whatcom county who have a better or wider acquaintance than he. Though of European birth Mr. Schwarze has been a resident of this country since the days of his young manhood, served as a soldier of the Union before he had acquired his citizenship papers and has thus accounted himself as much an American as though indeed native and "to the manner born." He was born in Germany, in 1842 and was eighteen years of age when in 1860 he came to the United States, landing at Baltimore from a sailing ship. He proceeded westward to Freeport, Illinois, where he was employed as a carpenter, being thus engaged when in the next year the war between the states broke out. Though not yet a citizen of the country to which he had attached himself by adoption, Mr. Schwarze's freedom loving heart was stirred by the call for soldiers to defend the Union and he enlisted as a member of Company C, Forty-sixth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and with that gallant command rendered service for two years, coming through without hurt.
Upon the completion of his military service Mr. Swarze returned to Freeport and resumed work at his trade. On April 3, 1866, he secured his final citizenship papers and a year later married and established his home at Freeport, continuing there as a carpenter and builder for more than thirty years or until 1890 when he came with his family to the Sound country and became a resident of the settlements that thirteen years later became consolidated under the present corporate name of Bellingham. Upon his arrival here Mr. Schwarze bought the home site on which he still is living, 2500 Keesling street, and built the house which he and his wife now occupy. After he got his own house up he took an active part in the general construction work that was so rapidly progressing here and became one of the best known carpenters and builders in town. This line he continued to follow until his retirement in 1913, when past seventy years of age, and his time since then has been pleasantly occupied with his garden, in which he takes much interest, this garden covering the vacant lots which he owns adjoining his residence.
It was on March 14, 1867, at Freeport, Illinois, that Mr. Schwarze was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Kenne of that place and when in the spring of 1917 this venerable couple celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage, their "golden wedding", the occasion was made one of general congratulation and felicitation among their hosts of friends in the city and throughout the county. Mrs. Schwarze was born in Germany and was four years of age when her parents started with their family for America, bound for the port of New Orleans. Her father died while the vessel was making the passage over. Her widowed mother made her way with her children from New Orleans to Freeport, where kinsfolk were awaiting her, and she presently married again and settled down there, the daughter Minnie thus being reared in Freeport, where she was living at the time of her marriage to Mr. Swarze. Of the twelve children born to this union seven still are living, namely: Tristina, who married the Rev. Bard, now living in Missouri, and has one child; Mrs. Lydia Dresner of Bellingham, who has a daughter; George, a Bellingham carpenter, who married and has two children; Mrs. Louisa Kemmeran, living in Bellingham; Carl, a Bellingham carpenter, who married and has four children; Edwin, who is connected with the milling industry in Bellingham; and Otto Schwarze, a veteran of the World war, who also is connected with the lumber mills industry in Bellingham, as a shingleweaver. Mr. and Mrs. Schwarze are republicans and have ever taken an earnest interest in local civic affairs. Mrs. Schwarze is a member of the German Lutheran church. Mr. Schwarze is an active member of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic and has for many years taken an interested part in the activities of that patriotic organization.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 442-443