Scott, E. E.
With efficiency as his watchword, E. E. Scott has progressed far on the highway which leads to success, and he ranks with the most able and trusted representatives of the Whatcom Falls Mill Company, a Bellingham corporation, which for twenty years has had the benefit of his services. He was born December 6, 1867, in Parsons, Kansas, and was reared on a farm. He attended the public schools and in 1885 became a student in an academy, in which he completed a two years' course. He read law for four years but did not qualify for practice, deciding that his talents lay in another direction. In 1889, when a young man of twenty-two, Mr. Scott entered the lumber business in Iowa, becoming associated with the firm of F. M. Slagle & Company. He was with that corporation for eight years, acquiring valuable experience, and was afterward connected with the firm of E. D. Mineah & Company, of Eagle Grove, Iowa, for four years. He next spent a year in Grand Forks, North Dakota, with the Robertson Lumber Company and then came to Washington, locating in Tacoma. He lived for a year in that city and in February, 1906, came to Bellingham as sales manager for the Whatcom Falls Mill Company, wholesale manufacturers of lumber, shingles and boxes. He has since filled this important office, giving to the firm the services of an expert, and his work has constituted a vital force in the expansion of this mammoth industry, which enjoys the distinction of world supremacy.
In 1898 Mr. Scott married Miss Katherine Merritt, of Grinnell, Iowa, and the children of this union are Merritt and Katherine. Mr. Scott is a Royal Arch Mason and his political views are in harmony with the platform and principles of the republican party. Thoroughness and fidelity to duty are his salient characteristics and his record proves that merit and ability will always come to the front.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 268
Scott, I. M.
Of pleasing address and quiet appearance, frank and kindly in manner, is the old pioneer citizen and Civil war veteran, I. M. Scott, of Blaine, where he is held in high regard. He is an honorable, upright gentleman, true to himself and to others, and his influence in the community has always been potent for good. Like many of the enterprising citizens of Whatcom county, Mr. Scott hails from the old Hoosier state, but many years of his life have been spent in this locality, and he has lived to see and take part in the wonderful development of this region. He was born in Leavenworth, Crawford county, Indiana, in 1846, and is a son of Samuel and Levinia (Williamson) Scott, the latter a native of Virginia. The father was also born in Virginia, whence he went to Kentucky and then to Indiana, where he established his home for a time. In 1849 he and two of his sons started on the long overland trip to California, but he and one of the sons died on the way. He was the father of nineteen children, seventeen sons and two daughters.
I. M. Scott received he educational training in the public schools of his native state, and on the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in the Forty-ninth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, with which he saw much arduous and dangerous service in the southland. He was wounded in Sherman's first attack on Vicksburg and was furloughed home. On his recovery he again went to the front and served until the close of the war. He then returned to his native county and there remained until 1875, being employed at the carpenter's trade and as a sheet metal worker. In 1875 he went to St. Louis, but owing to his wife's poor health he went from there to New Mexico and to California, where she became much improved. He then went to Portland, Oregon, and obtained employment for a time in the car shops. Later he went to Tacoma, Washington, where he secured the contract to build a pile driver to be used in the building of the bridge at Puyallup. He then came to Whatcom county and took up a homestead at Excelsior in 1880. Soon afterward he came to Blaine, at about the time the township was laid out, and after a short stay here returned to the ranch, where he remained until 1885, when he again came to Blaine, and he has lived here continuously since. For a time he was employed as a carpenter and builder and later was in a hardware store and tin shop until his retirement from active affairs some years ago, since which time he has lived quietly in his comfortable home here, enjoying the leisure to which his years of labor so richly entitle him. He sold the old homestead which he entered in 1880, disposing of it in smaller tracts.
Mr. Scott was married, in St. Louis, to Miss Mary A. Lightfoot, who was born at New Brighton, England. She had been orphaned by the death of both of her parents in England and while still young was brought to the United States by relatives who were connected with the post office department at St. Louis. They have never had any children of their own, but they have reared and cared for two children of Mr. Scott's brother, who died in Alaska, namely: William Farnum, who was killed at Hamilton in 1906; and Oscar Farnum, who was but seventeen months old when they took him, and who is now a farmer in Custer township. He was married and is the father of five children. These boys were never legally adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Scott but received the same tender care that would have been given children of their own. Mr. Scott is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He has taken a deep interest in the affairs of his locality during all the years of his residence here and has been especially active in educational affairs. He was one of the very early directors of the Excelsior school district, before the Blaine district was organized, and helped to secure and build the first schoolhouse in the district, which was also one of the first in this part of the county. He has kept closely in touch with public affairs, and during his active years he was a potent factor in the advancement and progress of his community. No man in the locality is held in higher esteem than is Mr. Scott, owing to his honorable record and his splendid character.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 914-915
Scrimsher, Calvin A.
Of honored pioneer stock, Calvin A. Scrimsher has an intimate knowledge of frontier life in the Pacific northwest, and as a worthy member of one of Washington's territorial families he is well entitled to representation in this volume. He has lived in the state for forty-five years, following agricultural pursuits during the greater portion of the time, and now owns and operates a fine ranch in Rome township. He was born April 23, 1864, in Nebraska, and his parents, Charles G. and Rachel (Elmore) Scrimsher, were natives of Illinois. The father went to Nebraska about 1862 and was among the first settlers of Richardson county, in which he made his home until about 1874. When the district became thickly populated he sought a more isolated region and journeyed to Kansas with a team and wagon. He was engaged in farming in the Sunflower state for six years and in 1880 joined a wagon train bound for Washington. There was no road over the mountains and he was obliged to pack his outfit on horseback across the Cascades. The family reached Sehome, Washington, in November 1881, and soon afterward Charles G. Scrimsher took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in Ten Mile township, of which he was one of the earliest settlers. Through arduous effort he removed the brush and trees from the tract, clearing about thirty acres and for many years his energies were devoted to the cultivation and improvement of the ranch. His life was terminated February 24, 1901, and the mother passed away May 28, 1910. She was born March 26, 1843, and the father's birth occurred on July 27 of the same year. They were highly respected in the community in which they resided and reared a family of ten children, eight of whom are now living.
Calvin A. Scrimsher attended the public schools of Nebraska and Kansas, and he was a youth of sixteen when the family made the trip to Washington. He aided his father in tilling the soil and when he attained his majority started out for himself, entering a homestead in section 28, range 3, of Ten Mile township. He built a small house and applied himself tot he task of clearing the land, eventually transforming the place into a productive farm, on a portion of which he planted an orchard. He sold the property in 1900 and bought another ranch in the same section. He brought more than half of the land under the plow and there resided for seven years. In 1907 he decided to enter another field of activity and disposed of the place, opening a real estate and insurance office in Bellingham. He was successful in the venture and conducted the business until 1915. He then moved to Marietta and for five years operated a ferry across the Nooksack river, owning the boat and also a good home in the town. On the expiration of that period Mr. Scrimsher returned to Bellingham and remained in the city until March, 1925, when he purchased a tract of twenty acres in Rome township. A portion of the land is improved and he is planning to establish a large poultry ranch here. He has made a close study of this industry, which is followed extensively throughout the county, and will undoubtedly succeed in the undertaking, for the word fail has no place in his vocabulary.
On June 30, 1895, Mr. Scrimsher married Miss Mabel E. Dewey, a native of Kansas and a daughter of George B. and Emma (Romine) Dewey. Her mother was born September 22, 1846, in West Virginia, and has reached the venerable age of seventy-nine years. The father was born February 14, 1841, in Ohio, and he was a cousin of Admiral George Dewey, who achieved renown in the Spanish-American war. George B. Dewey engaged in merchandising in Kansas and in 1888 started for Washington. He spent the first winter in the Cascade mountains, being unable to reach the coast owing to the deep snow, and then purchased a ranch in Van Wyck township. He operated the farm for several years and then leased the property, afterward buying a ten acre tract, on which he resided for some time. Having decided to retire, he located in Bellingham but was not content to remain inactive and purchased twenty acres of land in Mountain View township, where he spent the remainder of his life, passing away April 8, 1918. There were ten children in the family, and Mr. and Mrs. Scrimsher have become the parents of three children: Mrs. Freda M. Stewart, Mrs. Flossie McCollum and Vernie T.
Mr. Scrimsher is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Raisers Association, and along fraternal lines he is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America, belonging to Wahl Camp, No. 7357. His life has been one of unceasing industry, directed into constructive channels, and his record sustains the high reputation which has ever been borne by the members of this well known family.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 632-633
Scrimsher, Ernest L. and C. G.
It is not an easy task to describe adequately the career of a man who has led an eminently active and useful life and who has attained a position of relative distinction in the community with which his interests are allied; but biography finds its most perfect justification, nevertheless, in the tracing and recording of such a life history, for the best history of a community is composed of the biographies of the men who have developed it and are factors in its progress. Ernest L. Scrimsher, whose fine farm is located in Ten Mile township, is a native of the state of Kansas, born in 1879, and is a son of C. G. and Rachael (Elmore) Scrimsher, the latter of whom was a native of Missouri. The father and mother came to Whatcom county from Nebraska in 1881, bringing with them their nine children, namely: C. A., who is married and lives in Rome; C. H., who died in 1919; Ephraim H., who is in Alaska; D. A., who died in 1910; Sarah, the wife of Mat Hazer, of Van Wyck; Charles L., of Ten Mile; Lizzie, the wife of Herman Kuehnoel; Mrs. Mary Olive Drain, of Seattle; and Ernest L., the subject of this sketch. Another child, E. F., who now lives at Anacortes, was born after their arrival in this state.
C. G. Scrimsher was variously employed after coming to this county, and while living in Bellingham he helped to hew the timbers for the Old Colony mill at that place. They lived in Bellingham about two years and then went to Ten Mile, where he preempted one hundred and sixty acres of land on the Hannegan road, opposite the Ten Mile school. The locality at that time was heavily covered with timber and they had to go to their land by way of the old Telegraph road, from which they cut a trail into their place. A vast amount of hard work was involved in the clearing of the tract, but in the course of time sixty-five acres were cleared and put under the plow. Much of their early trading was done at Bellingham, it requiring a full day's trip from their place, and they also dealt some at Prouty's store. Mr. Scrimsher had the first team of horses in that locality, and in other ways he showed a progressive spirit. Here the parents spent most of their remaining years, the exception being a short period when they and and two of their sons went to Goldendale to live, soon returning. The father died here in 1900.
Ernest L. Scrimsher received his education in the district school of the neighborhood and remained on the home farm until after the death of his father, when the place was sold and he and his mother went to Van Wyck, where the latter remained until 1903, when she went to Bellingham. Mr. Scrimsher remained about two years and then, in 1905, bought his present place, which at first included thirty-six acres of land, but of which he sold fifteen acres. He had leased Mr. Dean's cows for about nine months and for about six months had lived on the Buehler farm. His mother lived with a daughter until her death, which occurred in 1910. When Mr. Scrimsher came to his present place the land was covered with stumps and brush, and a vast amount of work was necessary during the process of its development to its present highly improved condition. He has cleared nine acres, the remainder of the land being devoted to pasturage. He has erected a full set of farm buildings and the place is now one of the best improved and most attractive farms in this locality. He gives his attention largely to dairy farming, keeping a number of good grade Guernsey and Jersey cattle, and also keeps about three hundred chickens. His land is very fertile and he raises good crops of hay and grain, as well as green stuff for the chickens.
In 1903 Mr. scrimsher was married to Miss Emma Kuehnoel, who was born in Missouri, a daughter of August and Ernestine Kuehnoel. To Mr. and Mrs. Scrimsher were born three children, namely: Gladys, who is a graduate of the State Normal School at Bellingham and is now engaged in teaching at Goshen; Clifford, who is a student at the University of Washington; and Donnie, who is at home. Mr. Scrimsher is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and has served his district as road overseer. He is deeply interested in everything affecting the welfare of the community, and because of his success, his business ability and his genial manner he enjoys the esteem and good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 370-371
Scutwick, M. L.
One of the model farms of Lawrence township is the property of M. L. Scutvick, whose life has been spent chiefly in the west, and diligence and determination have shaped his career, which has been crowned with worthy achievement. A native of Norway, he was born July 24, 1872, and was a child of seven when his parents, A. Larson and Christina Larsen, made the voyage to the United States, settling in Big Horn county, Montana, in 1879. About 1886 they migrated to North Dakota and the father entered government land, proving up on his claim. He still lives in that state, but the mother passed away in 1922.
M. L. Scutvick attended the public schools of North Dakota and at a the age of eighteen years started out in life for himself. He worked for two years in Montana and for a similar period in North Dakota. In January, 1900, he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and in 1902 purchased a quarter section in Lawrence township. He cleared the land, which was covered with timber, and has built a good home. He has sold a portion of the ranch, which now comprises eighty acres of fertile land, and raises the crops best adapted to this region. He is thoroughly conversant with the details of his occupation and has profited by his years of experience in tilling the soil, making every effort count. He has carefully systematized the work and his place is neat and well improved.
In 1899 Mr. Scutvick was united in marriage to Miss Anna Hoffos, a native of Minnesota, and twelve children were born to them, but two are deceased. Those who survive are: Aleta; Myrtle, who is living in Raymond, Washington; Ellen, now of Bellingham; and Martin, Hazel, Arthur, Helen, Elinor, Agnes and John, all of whom reside at home. Mr. Scutvick owes allegiance to no party and casts his ballot for the candidate whom he considered best qualified for office. He has never allowed personal interests to monopolize his attention, and for three terms he was a member of the board of township supervisors, of which he was chairman for a year. He is a strong advocate of the cause of education and during his nine years of service on the school board much constructive work was accomplished. Unselfish, broadminded and progressive, Mr. Scutvick has wrought effectively for the general good, and at the same time has won the merited reward of industry, perseverance and integrity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 554
Seaberg, Peter E.
Among the citizens of Nooksack, Whatcom county, who have had interesting careers and who are eminently entitled to mention in a work of this character is Peter E. Seaberg, one of the rugged old pioneers of this locality, with whose growth and development he has been closely and actively identified. Under all circumstances with which he has been surrounded be has performed his full part and has gained a splendid reputation as a reliable and public-spirited citizen, enjoying today the respect and admiration of all who know him. Mr. Seaberg was born in Sweden on the 20th of April, 1859, and is a son of Carl and Louise (Erickson) Seaberg, both of whom were lifelong residents of Sweden, where they passed away. They were the parents of four children, all of whom are living, namely: Carl, Gust, Peter E. and Anna.
Peter E Seaberg was educated in the public schools of his native land and was reared to the life of a farmer, which pursuit he followed, also operating a sawmill. In 1886 he came to the United States, locating at Cascade, this state, in the fall of that year. He obtained employment in construction work on the Northern Pacific Railroad, following that occupation for several years and then, in 1889, came to Nooksack, Whatcom county, and bought thirty acres of land, one and a half miles north of Nooksack. He immediately set to work to clear the tract of the heavy timber and dense brush which covered it, using ox teams for the purpose, and built a small cabin. In the operation of this place he has been successful, his crops, principally of grain and hay. In 1904 Mr. Seaberg opened a general merchandise store in Nooksack, which he operated in partnership with William Gillies for fifteen years. They were burned out in the big fire of 1910, sustaining a heavy loss, but, undaunted, they rebuilt larger and better than before and continued their prosperous business there until 1918, when they sold out. In 1914 Mr. Seaberg bought seventeen acres of land adjoining the town of Nooksack, which he now has practically all cleared and to the cultivation of which he is giving his attention. He is thoroughly practical in all his operations, his career having been characterized by indomitable energy, persistent industry and sound judgment, and the prosperity which has crowned his life work has well merited. He is a man of fine personal qualities, friendly and hospitable, and has always been numbered among the supporters of all measures for the betterment of the community along legitimate lines. Because of his upright character, business success and splendid public spirit, he has won a high place in the confidence and good will of the entire community in which he lives.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 687-688
Seely, Arthur Y.
Imagination is a priceless crystal in the vision of the man who achieves, and this quality, combined with executive power and unerring judgment, has brought Arthur Y. Seely to the fore in industrial circles of the Pacific northwest. He has aided in shaping the destiny of Blaine, in which he has made his home for thirty-five years, and is one of the valuable citizens whom Canada has furnished to the United States. He was born in the province of Nova Scotia in 1860 and his parents were E. C. and Maria (Mitchell) Seely. His father was a mill owner and builder of ships. He also was engaged in the shipping business, trading principally with the West Indies, and was a man of large affairs and strict honesty, actuated at all times by the spirit of progress.
Arthur Y. Seely was educated in the public schools of the Dominion and at the age of twenty-one entered the mercantile business. He also engaged in general merchandising in Nova Scotia, and in 1891 he came to Blaine, Washington. In association with his brother, E. C. Seely, who withdrew from the business in 1901, he embarked in the grocery business and later opened a general store, which he conducted for fifteen years. Possessing mechanical skill and ingenuity, Mr. Seely had been at work for some time upon a can lacquering machine, which he at length perfected with the assistance of a partner, and in 1906 he withdrew from the mercantile field. A shop was secured and the work of constructing this device was soon under way. He also designed a weighing machine, which he likewise manufacturers, in addition to a can washing machine of which he is the inventor. The last named device weighs three hundred pounds and sells for one hundred and seventy-five dollars. The can lacquering machine varies in price from five hundred and fifty to six hundred and fifty dollars and weighs fifteen hundred pounds. All have been patented and are shipped to points throughout the United States and also to foreign countries. Mr. Seely employs four skilled mechanics and under his expert direction the business has steadily increased. He is deeply engrossed in his work and always has some new plan in the making.
In 1918 Mr. Seely was united in marriage to Miss Rose Randall, a native of England. He reserves the right to vote according to the dictates of his judgment and is liberal and broadminded in his views on all subjects. His industry has made the name of Blaine known throughout the world and his worth to the community is uniformly acknowledged.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 281
Among the men of sterling character who have for many years occupied a conspicuous place in the esteem of the entire community in which they live, Christian Seemuller is eminently entitled to specific mention. Though now in the golden sunset of life's journey and past the best years of his activity, he is still in full possession of his faculties and is as alert mentally as in the days of his prime, being still able to maintain general oversight of his ranch in Delta township. Mr. Seemuller was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, on the 2d of October, 1850, and is a son of George Frederick and Louisa F. (Neff) Seemuller, both of whom were also natives of Germany, where they lived and died. They were the parents of six children.
Christian Seemuller attended the public schools of the fatherland and then learned the trade of cabinetmaker. In 1873 he went to New Zealand, where he was employed for one and a half years in clearing land. He then went to Sydney, New South Wales, into the interior of which country he went on a prospecting trip. He remained there for a time and then for two years was employed on sheep ranches. He took up forty acres of land, to which he later added another forty acres, and farmed that land for five years. He then sold out, ignorant at that time of the fact that gold lay beneath the soil of his farm. On Christmas day, 1882, Mr. Seemuller landed at San Francisco, California, on the steamship Australia and went from there to Los Angeles, where he remained for a short time. He then went to British Columbia, where he was in the employ of the Central Pacific Railroad, and then, in the fall of 1883, he came to Whatcom county and took up a homestead in Delta township, his tract of one hundred and sixty acres being covered with timber and brush, with not a road built through it or near it. Nothing daunted, he set to work clearing the land, being on of the first homesteaders in that district. He built a house and a good barn, but he met with misfortune the first year, the buildings being destroyed by fire. They were promptly rebuilt, but again, during the great forest fire of 1894, he was burned out. Mr. Seemuller now has twenty-five acres of his land cleared and in cultivation, raising good crops of grain and hay, besides having a good vegetable garden. He also keeps five good milk cows and a nice flock of chickens. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association.
Mr. Seemuller has never married but finds plenty of companionship in his books, of which he is a great lover, having a well selected library of classical works and the best current literature. He is a well educated and widely informed man, holds positive opinions on the leading questions of the day and is a very interesting conversationalist. Genial and friendly in his social relations, he enjoys the respect and esteem of his neighbors and fellow citizens, who hold him in high regard because of his genuine worth as a man and a citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 162-163
Seiple, Owen H.
Though a comparatively recent personal factor in the industrial and commercial life of Whatcom county, Owen H. Seiple, miller and grain dealer at Bellingham, the proprietor of the old Crescent mills and of the plant until lately occupied by the Sperry Flour Company at that place, has so definitely established himself in the business circles of the community as to become recognized in the trade as a leader in his line throughout this region, now controlling an industry regarded as the largest of its kind in the state north of Seattle.
Mr. Seiple is a native of the old Keystone state, born in Pennsylvania in 1879, and was but an infant when in that same year his parents, Samuel and Jennie (Potts) Seiple, established their home in Chicago, where Samuel Seiple became engaged in the oil business. He later took up the grain business, operating a chain of elevators in Illinois, and was thus engaged for some years or until he resumed connection with the oil industry, and he is now living in India, an oil producer in that country, making his home at Yenangyuang.
Reared in the city of Chicago, O. H. Seiple finished his education in the Northern Illinois College, majoring in mathematics, and after his graduation in 1898 was for two years engaged teaching mathematics in that institution. He then became employed as a traveling salesman for a wholesale grocery house, representing the concern on the Pacific coast and in the southwest, from Spokane to El Paso, and was thus occupied for several years. At the end of that time he became engaged in the lumber business at Mineral in Lewis county, this state, in which he continued at that place until he came to Bellingham in the spring of 1923.
On his arrival here Mr. Seiple bought the plant of the Crescent mills, entering upon possession on March 23 of that year, and in 1925 he bought the Sperry plant. He thus now controls a plant covering two blocks, with offices at the corner of F and Chestnut streets and with its own private dock and railway siding. In February, 1926, Mr. Seiple bought the plant of the City Grain & Seed Company, of Mount Vernon, which he operates in conjunction with his Bellingham plant and also as a bonded warehouse. In addition to his general business as a dealer in hay and grain, Mr. Seiple manufactures his well known and highly popular brand of graham (whole wheat) flour, wheat grits and corn meal, and besides his large custom trade has created a wide demand for his products in the markets of the northwest, keeping four traveling salesmen on the road and operating his own tow hundred and thirty-two ton barge in the distribution of his products in the trade out of Tacoma, selling wholesale and to manufacturers.
In 1919, in the city of Tacoma, Mr. Seiple was united in marriage to Miss Anna Bryan of that city, and they have a pleasant home in Bellingham. Mr. and Mrs. Seiple are republicans and take a proper interest in the general civic affairs of the community in which they have chosen to make their home, also being interested participants in the general social activities of the city. Mr. Seiple is a Royal Arch Mason and has for years taken an earnest interest in Masonic affairs.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 105-106
Senker, Albert C.
Albert C. Senker, one of Bellingham's veteran and progressive merchants, is the proprietor of an old established cigar store on Holly street and is one of the best known men in Whatcom county. Though of European birth, he has been a resident of this country since the days of his childhood and has become thoroughly adapted to the new environment. He was born in the kingdom of Saxony, August 28, 1874, and was but a child when his father died. His widowed mother, Mrs. Ida Marie Senker, came with her children to America in 1881 and settled with kinfolk who had become established on a farm near Lincoln, Nebraska. There she presently remarried, and in 1884 the family home was changed to Portland, Oregon, young Albert's stepfather settling on a farm near that city.
Albert C. Senker was but seven years of age when he became a resident of the United States, and he was ten years old when the family moved to the coast country. He continued his studies in the schools of Portland until he was thirteen years old and at the age of sixteen he left the farm and came to Bellingham, where he became employed in Charles Shaeffer's cigar factory. That was in 1890. He spent a year in the Shaeffer factory, there becoming familiar with the rudiments of the cigar maker's trade, and he then returned to Portland and completed his apprenticeship in the Keller & Schwert factory in that city. In 1894 Mr. Senker returned to Bellingham and there established a cigar factory of his own. In 1900 he was made manager of the retail cigar store of Jacob Beck and two years later was also placed in managerial charge of Beck's theater, later known as the American theater, which Mr. Beck erected in that year, 1902. In 1908 Mr. Senker bought the cigar store at No. 109 Holly street, where he has since been engaged in business, and he is widely and favorably known in commercial circles throughout this section of the state.
It was on November 22, 1896, in Bellingham, that Mr. Senker was united in marriage to Miss Nellie J. Swearingen, and to them was born a daughter, Miss Halcie Gertrude Senker, who was graduated from the Bellingham high school in 1917. Mrs. Senker was called to eternal rest September 14, 1925, after a lingering illness of nearly three years. She was universally loved and respected by the people of Whatcom county. Mr. Senker is a republican and has ever taken an earnest interest in local civic affairs, as well as in the general social affairs of the city. He is a Knight Templar and Scottish Rite (thirty-second degree) Mason and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine, and he is also a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Woodmen of the World, the Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club. As was written concerning him in a prior review some years ago, "he certainly deserves much credit for what he has accomplished, for from the age of sixteen years he has been dependent upon his own resources, working his way steadily upward through his close application, persistency of purpose and indefatigable industry."
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 462-465
Serl, Mrs. Mary A.
Among the native daughters of Whatcom county, who have been eye witnesses of and participants in the wonderful transformation that has taken place here during the past four decades is Mrs. Mary A. Serl, widely and favorably known to a large circle of acquaintances. She has always lent her influence for the advancement of all measures for the betterment of the people and community welfare, and, because of her kindliness and tact, her friendliness and her hospitality, she has a host of loyal and devoted friends.
Mary Agnes Campbell was born at Semiahmoo, Whatcom county, and is a daughter of William M. and Matilda (Allard) Campbell. The father was a native of the north of Ireland, while the mother's birth occurred in Hamilton, British Columbia. The father came to the United States when seventeen years of age, and for a time was employed as a drug clerk at Philadelphia. He then went to Pit River, British Columbia, where he took up a homestead when about twenty-one years of age; proved up on it; cleared a portion of the tract and lived thereon for a few years, but went to Cariboo and Douglas during the gold rush of the '70s. He met with success in his search for the yellow metal and then returned to his ranch for a short time. On his removal to the Sumas prairie, British Columbia, he bought a three hundred and twenty acre farm, to the operation of which he devoted himself until his accidental death, about 1887. He was survived a number of years by his widow, whose death occurred about 1895. They were the parents of two children, Mary Agnes and Jennie.
Mary Agnes Campbell received her educational training in a convent school at New Minster, British Columbia, and in the public schools. On July 5, 1880, at the age of seventeen years, she became the wife of John Kelley, who was born in Belfast, Ireland, August 12, 1841, and whose death occurred July 23, 1906. When about ten years of age Mr. Kelley had gone to live with an uncle in Australia, remaining there three years, during which time he herded sheep and cattle. In 1872 he came to the United States, landing at San Francisco, California, and then went to work in the redwood timber, following that occupation until 1878, when he came to the Nooksack valley and filed on a homestead, which is located at Clearbrook, three miles north of Everson. After his marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Kelley located on this farm, their first home being in a small, split-cedar, two room house. He at once started clearing the land and in the course of time developed a splendid farm. He was a man of indomitable energy and perseverance, was of fine character, and throughout the community was held in the highest regard by his fellow citizens.
To Mr. and Mrs. Kelley were born the following children: Mrs. Carrie E. Furness, of Bellingham, who is the mother of six children, Jack, Josephine, Birch, Walter, Irene and Lorene; William John, who is unmarried and remains at home; Thomas R., who is married and has four children, Raymond, Kathleen, Laverne and Teresa Mary; Albert F., who died in 1912; Walter L., who is now a student in the State Normal School at Bellingham, and Clifford, who is at home. On October 11, 1911, Mrs. Kelley became the wife of Charles E. Serl, who was born in Michigan, April 20, 1865.
The farm of Mrs. Serl is well improved in every respect, all of the buildings being of a substantial and attractive type. The home was built in 1889, the latest barn in 1914, and silos were erected in 1917 and 1918. Special attention is given to dairying, for which purpose the family keep twenty-five head of high grade cows and a registered Guernsey bull. The land is largely devoted to hay, graind and peas, practically all of which is fed to the stock. They also keep a number of hogs. The farm is managed in a business like manner, good judgement being shown in the matter of crops and other phases of farm operation. Mrs. Serl is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is deeply interested in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community, where she is held in the highest regard.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 208-211
Sewall, Harry B.
The world instinctively pays homage to the man whose self-reliant nature and inherent force of character enable him to rise above his fellows, and of this type is Harry B. Sewall, whose broad experience has enabled him to direct successfully the many interests of the Puget Sound Power & Light Company of Bellingham, a corporation which has exerted a dynamic force in the development of northwestern Washington. His life has been devoted to the study of the public utilities, which have become almost as necessary as the daily food supply to the communities they serve.
Mr. Sewall is a native of Massachusetts, and he attended the Institute of Technology at Boston in the pursuit of his higher education. In 1899 he entered the employ of Stone & Webster and gradually worked his way through the various departments of the business, at length becoming manager of their interests in Whatcom and Skagit counties. In 1918 he was sent from Texas to this district, which comprises twenty-five cities and towns, and has since made his headquarters in Bellingham.
The Puget Sound Power & Light Company, of which Mr. Sewall is manager, is the outgrowth of the following corporations: The Whatcom County Railway & Light Company, the Fairhaven Street Railway Company, the Lake Whatcom Street Railway Company, the Fairhaven & New Whatcom Street Railway Company, the New Whatcom, Thompson & Houston Electric Company, the Bellingham Bay Electric Street Railway Company, the Northern Railway Improvement, the Bellingham Bay Improvement Company, the Fairhaven Electric Light, Power & Motor Company, the Bellingham Bay Gas Company and other properties. In May, 1891, the Fairhaven Street Railway Company was formed and in August of that year the Lake Whatcom line was promoted. The men responsible for these projects were Edward J. Cosgrove, J. E. Baker, Morris McCarty, C. J. Cook and Hugh Eldridge. The last named was elected president of the corporation and served until 1895, when he resigned. The lighting plant was started in 1888, and the Bellingham Bay Gas Company was organized June 9, 1890. The parent corporation is building the Baker River plant in Skagit county and one hundred thousand horse power will be distributed from this station.
A large percentage of the power used in the district is generated by the company, which has maintained a rural power line for a period of seventeen years. It serves several thousand homes in Whatcom county and has been one of the most potent forces in the development of the great poultry industry, which has brought prosperity to many residents of this section of the state. The company has led in the work of upbuilding the rural communities of Washington and its operations have been of inestimable value to the state. The corporation has over three thousand gas customers in Bellingham and furnishes light and power to more than twenty thousand patrons in the district which is comprised of Whatcom, Skagit and Island counties. It controls twenty-seven miles of street railway in Bellingham, and one of its auxiliaries, the Pacific Northwest Traction Company, operates trains hourly between Bellingham and Mount Vernon, Washington, maintaining express and freight service. The two companies have a combined payroll of over four hundred thousand dollars, and their taxes amount to seventy-five thousand dollars per year, while their employes number over three hundred. The Puget Sound Power & Light Company maintains its own sales organization and that its bonds and preferred stock are regarded as safe and profitable investments is proven by the fact that the corporation has four hundred stockholders in Whatcom county. The main offices are located in a substantial three-story building at the corner of Elk and Holly streets in Bellingham, and the company also has a Union station, from which fifty-five automobile busses are operated.
To the many complex problems presented to him daily for solution Mr. Sewall brings the mental alertness, broad vision, business acumen and administrative power of the true executive, and his labors have been of far-reaching scope and importance and most beneficial in their results. He is a thirty-second degree Mason and Shriner and exemplifies in his life the beneficent teachings of the organization. He is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and also belongs to the Rotary, Country, Cougar and Kulshan Clubs of Bellingham, while his political support is given to the republican party.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 776-777