Slade, Harvey S.
The residents of Whatcom county should be proud to accord the greatest esteem to the early pioneers of the county, who amidst hardships and privations blazed the way for succeeding generations and made possible the prosperity and civilization of the present day, for it required bravery, fortitude and the best elements of manhood to enable these early settlers to persevere in their arduous task. The experience of those days can hardly be appreciated by one who has not passed through them. A wilderness, filled with Indians and wild beasts, absence of roads and an entire lack of transportation facilities, settlements few and far between no churches or schools, and the necessity of relying almost entirely upon one's own initiative and resources - these were the conditions that existed for the first comers, and to them is due the highest measure of respect and honor for what they accomplished. Among these old pioneers is Harvey S. Slade, who came here with his parents among the very earliest in this locality, and today he is accounted one of the highly esteemed resident of the community.
Mr. Slade was born in Port Huron, Michigan, in 1860, and is a son of William and Elizabeth (Desa) Slade, natives respectively of England and France. William Slade came to the New World at the age of thirteen years, his family settling in Canada, where he was reared to manhood and educated. He was the only member of the family who came to the United States, being one of the early settlers at Port Huron, Michigan. He was a fine mechanic and was employed there until his health became impaired, when he came to California, but not liking conditions there he came to Whatcom county about 1876, and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land. In Detroit he was married to Elizabeth Desa, who was brought here from France in her early girlhood and was reared and educated in that city. When they located in Lynden there were very few families in this locality and they were to a large measure cut off from the outside world.
Harvey S. Slade received his education in the public schools of Port Huron and Bay City, Michigan. He accompanied the family on their removal to Santa Cruz, California, and later to Lynden, Whatcom county, where he devoted himself to the home farm until his father's death, which occurred in 1882. He took an active part in the redemption of the land from its wild condition, which required a vast amount of the hardest sort of work, for the tract land was heavily covered with a dense growth of timber and brush, while a part of it was also covered with water. Among the first efforts after the family came here was the building of the log house which long sheltered them and which is still standing, being one of the best constructed houses of that type in the county. It is related that the house-warming given at this place was one of the biggest events of the kind in the early history of the community.
Two years after coming to Whatcom county, Harvey S. Slade returned to California, where in 1883 he was married to Miss Aliene Ogle, who was born in Ohio, but was taken to California with her parents when she was but nine years old. She was a daughter of R. Ogle, a harness maker, who still lives in Willows, California, his wife now being deceased. Upon his return to Lynden, some time later, Mr. Slade became engaged in freighting, which work he carried on for a number of years, and then embarked in the logging business. He had previously gone into the mines of Skagit county. Later he bought a home at Lynden, where he has resided to the present time. For a number of years he served as a mail carrier.
During the early years Mr. Slade passed through some trying experiences and his reminiscences of that pioneer period are very interesting. In those days it was necessary to bring freight up the Nooksack river in canoes, and their first furniture was thus brought up in a huge canoe made of a cedar log. He conducted a blacksmithing business here for a time and had to bring his coal from Bellingham, at which point they did most of their trading, and it was a full day's journey from their place to Bellingham and back. However, there was one thing that was characteristic of those early days that has in a measure disappeared as the country has become more thickly populated, and that was the spirit of mutual helpfulness which prevailed among the settlers. When a man had something to do that was beyond his own physical ability to handle, his neighbors willingly helped him, for they knew that he would just as cheerfully return the favor; and it was this spirit of cooperation and mutual interest that encouraged many a settler to persevere when otherwise he would have given up the struggle.
To Mr. and Mrs. Slade were born seven children, namely: Theda, who died when she was nine years old; Ray H., who is acting an accountant for the Washington Co-operative Egg and Poultry Association at Lynden, and a personal sketch of whom appears on other pages of this work; Clifton, of Lynden; Kenneth, of Bellingham; Hazel, who died at the age of thirteen years; Douglas, who lives in Seattle; and Mrs. Reba Lindsey, who has one child. Mr. Slade's present place, consisting of forty acres, and on which he has lived since 1902, was originally purchased for the timber that stood on it, but he eventually cleared about twelve acres and created a very comfortable and well improved farmstead. He keeps a few high grade cows and a good flock of laying hens, and he is very comfortably situated. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. Mr. Slade has been active in local public affairs, having been the first city marshal of Lynden, and he also served as constable for many years. He is a man of strong and forceful character and of broad views and sound opinions, and he is held in high regard because of his splendid record and excellent character.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 54-55
Slade, Ray H.
Ray H. Slade is one of the worthy native sons of Whatcom county and is clearly entitled to representation in the permanent record of the annals of his community, for he belongs to that enterprising and progressive class of citizens who have contributed in a very definite degree to the latter-day progress and prosperity of the county. He was born in Lynden on the 8th of December 1886, and is a son of Harvey S. and Aliene (Ogle) Slade, natives respectively of Michigan and Ohio, and who are mentioned at length elsewhere in this work.
Ray H. Slade secured his early education in the public schools of Lynden, after which he took a course in the Seattle Business College. His first employment was as a bookkeeper for a logging company, following which he was in the employ of various stores in Lynden. He then became connected with the Lynden station of the Washington Co-operative Egg and Poultry Association a few months after the establishment of the station at this place, and he has remained with this important concern ever since, now occupying the position of accountant. Mr. Slade long ago demonstrated his ability along that line and his absolute faithfulness to duty, and he is held in the highest esteem by his associates in that organization. The Lynden station has grown in importance and in volume of business until it is one of the most prosperous branches of this egg and poultry association, an organization which has accomplished great things for the farmers of Washington.
In 1912 Mr. Slade was married to Miss Merth Baldwin, who was born at Beaver City, Nebraska, a daughter of W. S. and Susan (Hines) Baldwin, the former of whom is a successful and well known contractor in Bellingham. To their union has been born a son, Erwin, who is now attending the public schools. Fraternally Mr. Slade is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. He has long been prominent and active in local public affairs, having rendered effective and appreciative service as a member of the city council and as city treasurer. He has served for three terms as a member of the board of directors of the Northwest Washington fair, one of the most successful organizations of the kind in the state. Mr. Slade has proven an honorable member of the body politic, rising in the confidence and esteem of the public, and in every relation of life he has never fallen below the dignity of true manhood, being essentially a man among men, while personally he is friendly and unassuming in his relations with those about him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 100-103
William Slade, an Englishman, came from California to Lynden in 1877, and took a claim across Fishtrap Creek, northwest of Lynden. There he built a very fine hewed-log house for his family, which arrived a little later. Mr. Slade's home was the center for many early-day gatherings of a social nature. Their three sons, Henry, Fred and Harvey were all prominent members of the pioneers of Lynden.
A blacksmith by trade, Mr. Slade was a very valuable addition to the region about the Nooksack, as his skill helped greatly in keeping in repair the few overworked tools and implements of the settlers.
Skqee Mus, R. E. Hawley, pub. 1945, pgs. 179-180
This biographical memoir deals with a character of unusual force and eminence, for George Slater, whose life chapter has been closed by the fate that awaits us all, was during the later years of his life one of the prominent citizens of Whatcom county, having come to this section in an early day, and he assisted in every way possible in bringing about the transformation of the county from the wild conditions found by the first settlers to its latter-day state of progress and improvement. While he carried on a special line of business in such a way as to gain a comfortable competence for himself, he also belonged to that class of representative citizens who promote the public welfare while advancing individual success. There were in him sterling traits which commanded uniform confidence and regard, and his memory is today honored by all who knew him and is enshrined in the hearts of his many friends.
Mr. Slater, whose death occurred October 1, 1897, was born in Chile, South America, on the 14th of February, 1856, and was a son of George and Elizabeth (Metcalf) Slater. George Slater received a good public school education in Bellingham, and on the completion of his studies he returned to the home farm in Ferndale township and operated the ranch for his father until his death. His career was marked by great energy, determined perseverance and excellent judgment, so that he won a high reputation as a man of more than ordinary capacity as a farmer and business man. Personally he was a man of splendid qualities, possessing to a marked degree those elements which commend one to the good esteem of his fellows. Genial and friendly, kindly and courteous, and accommodating when opportunity offered, he was well liked throughout the community and had many warm and loyal friends.
On November 2, 1892, Mr. Slater was married to Miss Agnes Ramsay, who was born in Airdrie, scotland, a daughter of Robert and Agnes (McAllister) Ramsay, both of whom were natives of Scotland. Robert Ramsay came to California in 1870 and lived there about a year, when he came to Whatcom county and took up one hundred and sixty acres of land in Ferndale township, to the improvement and cultivation of which he gave his attention until 1878, when he moved to the state of Indiana, where he lived for several years. He then came to Ferndale and took up another tract of one hundred and sixty acres of government land, on which he made his home and to the operation of which he devoted himself closely up to the time of his death, which occurred in January, 1910. His widow passed away October 14, 1924. To Robert and Agnes Ramsay were born eight children, namely: Elizabeth; Agnes, Mrs. Slater; Susan, who is the wife of Julius A. Shields; John, deceased; Mrs. Belle Pepper; and three who died in infancy. To George and Agnes Slater were born three children, namely: Elizabeth, who was graduated from high school and had two years of normal school work and is now living on the home ranch with her mother; George Jr., who is also at home; and Robert, who died September 11, 1911, at the age of fifteen years.
Mrs. Slater is now operating forty acres of the old homestead, on which she carries on general farming operations, with the help of her son, keeping a number of fine cattle and a large flock of chickens. The place is well improved and is maintained in excellent condition, presenting a very attractive appearance. The residence, which is set back from the highway, is surrounded by fine old shade trees, while a fine bearing orchard adds to the value and attractiveness of the farm. Mrs. Slater has shown excellent business judgment in her management of the place, and because of her ability and her gracious qualities of character she is held in high esteem throughout the community, being a popular member of the circles in which she moves.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 943-944
Long a prominent official of the First National Bank of Ferndale, John Slater has contributed his share toward the upbuilding and prosperity of this locality and worthily bears a name which for more than sixty years has been inseparably associated with the history of development and progress in Whatcom county, in which his parents, George and Elizabeth (Metcalf) Slater, settled in 1858. They were natives of England, and his birth occurred in Nanaimo, British Columbia, on the 7th of July, 1865, when his mother was in Canada on a visit. His father superintended the work of drilling in the coal fields around Whatcom, locating a number of valuable mines, and in 1872 preempted a quarter section of government land two miles south of Ferndale. He resided on the place until his death and through systematic work and modern methods brought his land to a high state of productivity. He was also an able educator and enjoyed the distinction of being the first school superintendent in this part of the state. He gave his political support to the republican party and his interest in the welfare and advancement of his community was deep and sincere. His wife was a member of the Episcopal church and a faithful follower of its teachings. To Mr. and Mrs. Slater were born eight children, four of whom survive.
John Slater was reared on his father's farm and received a public school education. He acquired a practical knowledge of agricultural operations and his interest in this useful vocation has never diminished. For many years he devoted his energies to the cultivation of the soil, and he still owns a well improved ranch of one hundred and sixty acres, on which there is a fine dairy, but now rents the property. Having amassed a sum sufficient for his needs, Mr. Slater retired in 1905 and established his home in Ferndale. He is still active in financial affairs, however, and since its organization has been vice president of the First National Bank of Ferndale, aiding materially in promoting the growth of the institution. He was connected for a number of years with the Mount Vernon Condensery Company in the capacity of field man and had charge of all outside work, making contracts for securing and hauling milk and doing other work in connection with the conduct of the business.
On March 24, 1886, Mr. Slater married Miss Inda Mayfield, a native of Lawrence county, Indiana, and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Campbell Mayfield, who came to Whatcom county about 1884. Her mother was one of the first white women to live in Ferndale and Mr. Mayfield was one of its earliest merchants. To Mr. and Mrs. Slater were born four children. Doy, the eldest, is the wife of H. L. Hughes, of Ferndale, by whom she has four children. Gladys Inda married H. J. Hammer, who is engaged in merchandising at Mount Vernon, Washington, and they have three children. Glenn J. attended the University of Washington but did not remain to graduate, for in March preceding, he enlisted in the aviation corps, going first to the Presidio and later to the aviation school at Berkeley and after completing his flying course went to France with the commission of first lieutenant in aviation, serving overseas eighteen months. He is now a captain in the reserve corps. He is married to Ruth Sylvia Thune and they have one child. He resides in Bellingham and is filling the position of deputy auditor. Verla became the wife of Gerald Hawley and their home is at Marysville, Washington.
Mr. Slater is master of the Ferndale Grange and along fraternal lines is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to the lodge at Ferndale and the encampment at Bellingham. He is allied with the republican party and served for many years on the Ferndale school board, exerting his influence to secure for the district adequate educational facilities. He aided in forming the Association of Whatcom County Pioneers and has served as its treasurer and is now vice president and a director. His wife is a member of the association and also of the Washington society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. A lifelong resident of Whatcom county, Mr. Slater has witnessed remarkable changes as pioneer conditions have given way before advancing civilization, and his accounts of the early days are both interesting and instructive. He is loyal to every cause which he espouses and faithful to every duty, thus winning the approbation and esteem of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 461-462
Notwithstanding the fact that the kingdom of Holland is one of the smaller countries of the world, it has sent a large number of settlers to the United States from the earliest years of settlement on this continent, and this country has welcomed these people, for in every state of the Union they have taken an active and effective part in advancing the general interests in practically every line of effort. Among the Hollanders who have become permanent residents of Whatcom county and have risen to honorable places in their respective communities, none takes precedence over John Slotemaker, whose fine farm is located near Everson. He was born in Holland on the 6th of August, 1870, and is a son of Cornelius and Agnes (Keppel) Slotemaker, the latter of whom died in 1914, at the age of seventy-five years. Both parents were natives of Holland, whence they came to the United States in 1881, locating in Iowa, where they engaged in farming. They remained there until December, 1900, when they came to Whatcom county, stopping a few days at Bellingham and then coming on to Lynden. The father first bought twenty acres of land near the river south of Lynden and later bought a home in the town, where he spent his remaining days, his death occurring in 1919, at the age of eighty years.
John Slotemaker and his wife first established their home on the twenty-acre place which his father had bought, and there they lived for ten years, in the course of which time our subject worked steadily on the clearing of the land, which he nearly completed. About 1910 he came to his present farm, which at first comprised one hundred acres but to which he later added forty acres. About thirty acres of the original hundred were cleared, and he has cleared as much more, the remainder being in pasture, while the second tract of ten acres are cleared. Conditions in this locality when they came here were primitive, the only highways being trails, which were practically impassable in bad weather. Mr. Slotemaker has devoted his attention mainly to dairy farming, for which purpose he keeps twenty-five good grade Holstein cattle. His well cultivated fields produce excellent crops of hay, grain and roughage for his stock, and he also has a good silo, for winter feed. He is an energetic farmer, thoroughly understands his work and does carefully and well whatever he undertakes.
In 1900, just before coming to Whatcom county, Mr. Slotemaker was married to Miss Tillie Kramer, who was born in Holland, a daughter of Henry and Jessie (Boersma) Kramer, who brought their family to the United States in May, 1889, locating in Iowa where the father followed farming pursuits. To Mr. and Mrs. Slotemaker have been born eight children, namely: Cornelius and Henry; Agnes, who is the wife of Joseph Estie of Seattle; Richard, Otto and Jessie; one who died at the age of four years, and one who died at birth. The older boys remain on the home place but work out in the community much of the time. Mr. and Mrs. Slotemaker are active members of the First Christian Reformed church and were among its earliest members. Mr. Slotemaker relates many interesting reminiscences of the early days in this locality, showing the contrast between conditions then and now. In 1901 he and his wife drove to Bellingham in a buggy, and when within about five miles of their destination a big black bear walked across the road just ahead of them. Wild animals were numerous in this part of the country for several years after the settlers began coming in, but they soon became scarce as the country became more thickly settled. Mr. Slotemaker has always done his full share toward the improvement of the community and has cooperated with his fellow citizens in all efforts for the betterment of the public welfare. Because of his success, his business ability, his fine public spirit and his genial and affable manner, he has gained an enviable place in the esteem and good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 387-388
Smallwood, G. W.
Success comes as the result of well applied energy, unflagging determination and perseverance, a fact which was early recognized by G. W. Smallwood, and he did not seek any royal road to success but sought to direct his feet along the well beaten paths of those who had won success along legitimate lines. It is also his personal worth which has gained for him the excellent standing which he enjoys among his fellow citizens of Park township, where he is widely and favorably known. Mr. Smallwood was born in Tennessee in 1866 and is a son of T. N. and Lucinda (Moat) Smallwood, both of whom also were natives of that state. In 1869 the family left Tennessee and started west, with a probability of locating in Kansas, but when in central Missouri they met people coming back from Kansas who reported that state as "impossible." On hearing these reports, Mr. Smallwood homesteaded a tract of land in central Missouri, which at that time was on the frontier, so far in advance of civilization that he had very few neighbors.
In this locality G. W. Smallwood was reared and received his education, attending school three months a year. He remained with his father on the farm until twenty-three years of age, when he rented a farm in that state, to the operations of which he devoted himself until March, 1902, when he came to Washington, being a member of two trainloads of settlers who came to this locality. Immediately on arriving here he came to Lake Whatcom and entered the employ of Bloedel & Donovan, with whom he still remains. Indeed his first night in Washington was spent in that company's camp, and his first home was a twelve by fourteen foot tent which he put up on the company's land and which was soon afterward superseded by a house. During the early period of his employment here he was in the woods, but in 1903 he came back to the lake, on which he has worked continuously since, doing what is known as "boom" work. The house in which he now lives was erected by Mr. Donovan and makes a very comfortable and commodious home.
In 1889 Mr. Smallwood was married to Miss Susan Bearcraft, who was born in Texas. Her parents having died when she was young, she had lived from childhood with our subject's brother, T. N. Smallwood. To Mr. and Mrs. Smallwood were born five children: J. Atlee, who also works on the lake for the Bloedel Donovan Company, is married and has three children - Dorothy, Preston and Mary; F. N., who likewise works for the same company, is married and has three children - Howard, Pearl and F. Lee. Chrisie is the wife of P. A. Nelson of Seattle; Mrs. Mary McMaster resides in Seattle; Finice died at the age of twenty-three years. Mrs. Susan Smallwood died in 1903, and on September 19, 1914, Mr. Smallwood was married to Miss Florence Wood, who was born at Richmond Surrey, near London, England, a daughter of Henry G. and Margaret (Edridge) Wood, the former of whom is dead, while the mother is still living at Richmond Surrey. About 1912 Mrs. Smallwood came alone to America, locating first in Canada, whence, soon afterward, she came to Whatcom county.
When Mr. Smallwood first came to Lake Whatcom there were no roads and he had to come down the lake in a boat. He bought his provisions at the company's commissary. In many ways living conditions then were far from ideal, or even comfortable. His children were at first compelled to attend school at Blue Canyon, necessitating their walking several miles along the railroad track. Eventually, however, Mr. Smallwood assisted in the organization of a school at the camp, and thereafter the school was generally known as Camp No. 2 school. Mr. Smallwood has rendered effective service as a member of the school board, was township treasurer for six years and served for three years on the township board. Fraternally he is a member of Blue Canyon Lodge No. 182, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is now treasurer of his lodge. Since coming here he bought thirty acres of company land, about five acres of which he has cleared, and now has a very comfortable and pleasant home. Earnest and faithful attention to duty has been the key to his success, and he stands high in the respect and confidence of his employers, as well as in the esteem and good will of his fellow citizens. He has taken commendable interest in all matters relating to the progress and welfare of the community in which he lives, cooperating with his fellowmen in all efforts to better local conditions in any way.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 743-744
Smith, A. Macrae; M.D.
For twenty-five years a member of Bellingham's medical fraternity, Dr. A. Macrae Smith is widely and favorably known in professional circles of northwestern, Washington and renders to his city that service which only the able, experienced practitioner is capable of giving. A native of Scotland, he was born in 1874 and was a child when his parents, Andrew and Elizabeth A. C. (Macrae) Smith, made the voyage to Canada. The father purchased a farm and devoted his energies to the cultivation of the soil, passing away in the Dominion.
Dr. Smith was graduated from McGill University in 1898, winning the M. D. degree, having secured the B. A. degree four years prior, and for a year was an interne in the Montreal General Hospital. He spent a year in the state of Colorado and in January, 1901, opened an office in Bellingham, where he has since resided. Although a general practitioner, he devotes much of his time to surgical cases and has successfully performed many difficult operations. He has acquired marked skill in his work and enjoys a large practice. He is a member of the Bellingham Clinic, and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, having been one of the charter members in the state.
In 1906 Dr. Smith married Miss Gertrude Ryan, a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and a daughter of Richard and Katherine Ryan. Her father passed away in the Badger state and the mother then brought her family to Washington. She was one of the early settlers of Bellingham and for thirty-five years filled the position of librarian. She was admired and respected by all with whom she was associated and as a mark of respect all public offices in the city were closed during the hour of her funeral. To Dr. and Mrs. Smith were born three children: Katherine, who is attending the University of Washington; and A. Macrae, Jr., and Richard Ryan, public school pupils.
Dr. Smith is affiliated with the First Presbyterian church and casts his ballet (sic) for the candidates of the republican party. He belongs to the Bellingham Golf and Country Club and is also a Kiwanian. He is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and in Masonry has take the Royal Arch degree. He served for one and a half years on the state board of medical examiners and is a member of the Whatcom County and Washington State Medical Societies and the American Medical Association. Dr. Smith has never lost the attitude of a student toward his profession, in which he has attained high standing, and he exemplifies in his life the sterling qualities of the Scotch race.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 547-548
Smith, C. M.
The force of his personality, the keenness of his insight and the soundness of his judgment have established C. M. Smith in a position of leadership in real estate circles of Bellingham, and for twenty years he has directed his energies into this channel, doing much important work as a city builder. He was born September 9, 1871, and is a native of Iowa. He came with his parents, Charles O. and Nancy A. (Call) Smith , to Washington, and on April 17, 1890, they arrived in Bellingham. The father opened a general store, which he conducted for two years in partnership with the subject of this sketch, and on the expiration of that period they became building contractors.
While working in Vancouver, British Columbia, C. M. Smith took a course in a commercial college and on his return to Bellingham started out for himself, becoming a public stenographer. His ability soon won recognition and his services were much in demand. His clientele included the well known firms of Dorr & Hadley, Newman & Howard and Harvey L. Dickinson & Company. In 1899 Mr. Smith went to California, entering the Los Angeles office of the Union Oil Company, and in June, 1900, he returned to Washington as an employe of the North American Fisheries at Anacortes. In February, 1903, he embarked in the real estate business in Bellingham in association with William I. Brisbin, who had previously served as sheriff of Whatcom county, and this relationship was terminated by the latter's death in 1912. The business was conducted under the style of Brisbin, Smith & Livesey. In April, 1919, Mr. Smith assumed the duties of manager of the Bellingham Bay Improvement Company. He made a fine record in that office, which he filled for four years, and during that period the corporation undertook and completed its largest projects along the line of subdivisions, street construction, home building, etc. In April, 1923, Mr. Smith returned to his own firm and on January 1, 1925, the business was reorganized as the Smith, Livesey & Wright Company. Its officers are C. M. Smith, president; Percy Livesey, vice president; and G. A. Wright, secretary and treasurer. The firm has built and sold many houses, substantially constructed and attractive in design. It has done much to improve and beautify the city and buys and sells large tracts of farm lands. The firm also maintains a rental, loan and bond department and likewise writes insurance of all kinds. An exceptionally capable executive, Mr. Smith has developed a business of extensive proportions and in its control has upheld a standard that has made the name of the firm synonymous with "safety in real estate investment."
In December, 1903, Mr. Smith married Miss Adelaide Mangan, of Anacortes, Washington. Her father, Timothy Mangan, located in Skagit county, Washington, in 1871, casting in his lot with its earliest settlers. He took up government land and engaged in farming and stock raising, afterward conducting a meat market in Vancouver, Washington. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have a family of three children: Floragnes, William Pitt and Nancy Jane. Mr. Smith gives his political allegiance to the republican party, the platform and principles of which appeal to him as the best form of government for the majority. He is one of the boosters of Bellingham and loses no opportunity to exploit the resources and advantages of the city. He is an influential member of the Real Estate Association and for seven years has served on the board of trustees of the Chamber of Commerce. He belongs to the Kiwanis and Country Clubs and along fraternal lines is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. The spirit of progress has actuated him at all points in his career and his life history is written in terms of honor and success.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 168
Smith, C. W.
Specific mention is made of many of the worthy citizens of Whatcom county within the pages of this work - men who have figured in the growth and development of this favored locality and whose interests have been identified with its progress, each contributing in his sphere of action to the well being of the community in which he resides and to the advancement of its normal and legitimate growth. Among this number is he whose name appears at the head of this review - a man who because of his business success and his upright life has attained a high standing throughout his section of the county. C. W. Smith is a native of the state of Ohio, born on the 25th of November, 1864, and is a son of Seneca A. and Nancy E. (West) Smith, both of whom were natives of Ohio, the father having been born in Morrow county and the mother in Meigs county. The father was a farmer by vocation, following that occupation up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1912. His wife is still living, at the advanced age of eighty-six years. To them were born seven children, namely: Claremont, Florence, C. W., James S., Daisy A., Arthur A. and Imogene J. Of these, Arthur lives in Colorado and Imogene in California, the others, excepting the subject, remaining in Ohio.
C. W. Smith attended the public schools of his home neighborhood and remained at home until April 10, 1887, when he came to Whatcom county, Washington, locating near Ferndale. In the fall of that year he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Dale (Delta?) township, six miles west of Lynden. The land was densely covered with stumps and brush, with not a sign of a road on or near it. He cleared off a half acre of the land, on which he built a house, which was destroyed by the great forest fire of 1894, which occurred while he was in the east. Owing to the hard time of 1893 he had returned to Ohio, where he remained about six years, at the end of which time he returned to his homestead and again entered upon the task of clearing the land. He now has about forty acres cleared and under cultivation, his principal crops being hay, grain and potatoes. He also has a splendid bearing apple orchard, from which he derives a nice income. He gives considerable attention to dairying, keeping twelve good grade Jersey milk cows and a registered Jersey bull. He is a thorough and practical farmer, does well whatever he undertakes and has gained a fine reputation among his fellow farmers for his progressive and enterprising methods.
Mr. Smith has been twice married, first, on August 6, 1890, to Miss Bertha Shell, who as a native of Minnesota, and to this union were born three children, namely: Charles Seneca, born January 2, 1892, who lives in Bellingham, is married and has two children, Jack C. and Nathalie; Mrs. Winona G. Roddell, born October 23, 1893, who is the mother of three children, Myrtle Irene, Lucile and Charles Richard; and Mrs. Ruth Josephine Krienke, born March 31, 1896, who has two sons, Charles E. and Oliver. On February 21, 1921, Mr. Smith was married to Mrs. Sarah Alice (Sowers) Overly, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Alex and Lydia Anne (Shidler) Sowers, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. Her father followed farming in Pennsylvania, but in 1856 he went to Ohio, where he went to work in a carding mill at Cardington, Morrow county. In 1861 he enlisted for service in the Civil war, serving until the close of that struggle and taking part in many of the most important battles and campaigns, without injury. He was the father of five children: Minnie M., Laura B., Sarah A., Lydia M. and Lola A., all of whom excepting Mrs. Smith, still live in the east. To Mr. and Mrs. Overly were born two children: Mrs. Laura B. Evans, who has two children, Richard F. and Nellie B.; and Harry D., who married and had seven children, of whom the only survivor is Harold. Laura B. Evans' first husband was killed in a railroad accident in 1910 and she later became the wife of C. Tanner Donaldson, and they have a daughter, Margaret. Mr. Overly died July 8, 1888.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has always taken a commendable interest in public affairs and rendered effective service as road overseer for two years. He is a strong advocate of good roads, believing that nothing contributes more definitely to the development and welfare of a community than improved highways. He is also in favor of government ownership of all public utilities, and, in connection with his political creed, it is worthy of note that he stands unique in never having voted for a successful presidential candidate. Fraternally he is a member of Custer Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being the only living charter member of that lodge; and belongs to the Grange. He has been a witness of and an active participant in the splendid development of this section of the country from a wilderness to its present advanced state of cultivation, and he recounts many interesting reminiscences of the early days here, recalling the fact that when he first settled on his homestead the woods about him were full of wild animals, such as cougars, bears, wild cats and deer. He is proud of his county and justifiably proud of the part he has played in the work of development here. A man of quiet and unassuming manner, he nevertheless possesses a forceful personality, which has made a definite impress on all with whom he has come in contact, and because of his upright life, his indomitable industry, his success and his genial and kindly manner, he has gained and retains a high place in the confidence and respect of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 171-172
Smith, D. W.
Many lines of activity have profited by the ripe experience and keen sagacity of D. W. Smith, who for twenty years has contributed his share toward Bellingham's development along commercial and industrial lines, and he is now a successful automobile dealer. A native of Huron county, situated in the province of Ontario, Canada, he was born December 16, 1865, and was a youth of fifteen when his parents, Farquhar and Janet (Nil) Smith, migrated to South Dakota. The father was a carpenter and building contractor and in later life took up government land near Huron, South Dakota. He spent his remaining years on that property, and the mother still lives at Huron.
After the completion of his public school education D. W. Smith served an apprenticeship to the coppersmith's trade, which he followed for eleven years. On the expiration of that period he opened a hardware store in Huron and continued the enterprise until 1900, when he turned his attention to the real estate field. He left Huron in the fall of 1903 and spent the winter in Cuba, afterward going to Wisconsin. He lived for a year in that state and in August, 1905, located in Bellingham. He first engaged in the real estate business in association with S. D. Cooley, and in 1907 he entered the logging industry, with which he was identified for six years. His next venture was in the canning business, on which he concentrated his energies for about three years, and in October, 1916, he purchased an interest in the business of Stanley Wait, who in the spring of that year had secured the agency for the Chevrolet cars. In the spring of 1918 the latter sold his share in the concern to the subject of this sketch, who then formed a partnership with his brother, D. F. Smith, who came to Bellingham in 1900 and who is an expert mechanic. He was first a member of the firm of Warren & Smith and later became one of the proprietors of the Whatcom Machinery Depot, subsequently following the occupation of farming. The brothers have the Whatcom county agency for the Chevrolet machines and control the Smith Motor Company, in which they are partners. They have a completely equipped repair shop, and the extent of the business is indicated by the fact that about thirty employes are required for its operation. In 1919 the partners erected a modern building especially for their use, purchasing ground at the corner of Elk and Magnolia streets. The structure is two stories in height and one hundred and ten by one hundred and twenty-five feet in dimensions. The members of the firm are business men of high standing, and their annual sales now amount to a large figure.
In 1902 D. W. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Florence Hatch, of Huron, South Dakota, a daughter of Reuben Hatch, a prosperous agriculturist. Mr. Smith has attained the Knight Templar degree in Masonry and is also connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party and is one of the influential members of the Chamber of Commerce. His interest in the welfare and progress of the city is deep and sincere and time has proven his worth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 747-748
Smith, Harry G.
Only that can coordinate, centralize and make for unity which administers to the welfare of all. On the other hand, whatever makes for the general welfare will be found to include the individual as well. This is the goal of the Washington Cooperative Egg & Poultry Association, and its phenomenal success amply demonstrates the value of collective marketing and selling. Each year in its history has been marked by notable progress in its splendid work. Members of the organization owe much to the broad vision, unfaltering courage and keen sagacity of those upon whom the burden of direction and administration has fallen, and in this connection Harry G. Smith, the efficient manager of the business at Bellingham, is deserving of particular mention.
A native of Ohio, Mr. Smith was born April 21, 1873, and his education was acquired in the public schools of Missouri. In the latter state he entered the poultry business and in 1902 came to Washington. He resided in Seattle for eighteen years and in 1920 came to Bellingham as manager of the local branch of the Washington Cooperative Egg & Poultry Association. He is devoted to the interests in his charge and his efforts have been beneficially resultant. He is thoroughly conversant with the details of the poultry industry and his work has elicited strong approbation.
The association was organized in 1917 by G. M. Caylor, George H. Griffiths, G. E. Van Horn and several others and is the outgrowth of the Kulshan Poultry Association, composed of a group of egg producers who pooled their output, which was sold in Seattle. It was started with one hundred and fifty members and practically no capital, and today it has more than thirteen hundred and fifty members in Whatcom county alone. It has forty-six hundred stockholders, a paid up capital of five hundred thousand dollars and an authorized capital of two million dollars. The officers are: S. D. Sanders, president and general manager; George H. Griffiths, vice president; and Frank J. Swayne, secretary-treasurer. The association has storage capacity at Bellingham for ten thousand cases of eggs and two cars of dressed poultry. The Lynden plant will accommodate three cars of eggs and three cars of dressed poultry. The members receive market prices and better for their products, in addition to an annual dividend of eight per cent on every dollar loaned the association through the deduction of one cent per dozen. This is a well organized, efficiently conducted business, and the magnitude of its operations is indicated by the fact that in 1924 the association paid to its members over one million two hundred fifty thousand dollars for eggs and poultry. The gross business for 1923 was four million, two hundred and seventy-eight thousand, five hundred and forty dollars, and in 1925 it passed the ten million dollar mark. Ten receiving stations have been established and a fleet of twelve trucks is of great value to the members in delivering feed and collecting eggs. In 1917 the egg receipts were fourteen thousand, two hundred and fifty eight cases and in 1925 they amounted to five hundred and forty-two thousand, one hundred and twelve cases. Aside from the shipments to New York eggs were marketed in Elmira, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit and Chicago, as well as Miami, Florida, and also Alaska and the Hawaiian islands. Eastern sales of eggs and poultry are made through the Pacific Egg Producers Cooperative, Inc., of which Earl W. Benjamin is sales manager, with offices at No. 178 Duane street, New York city. The western Washington eggs command a premium on the New York market because of their exceptional quality and are helping to make the northwest famous. The association retains control of the product until placed in the hands of the final purchaser, thus eliminating all in between speculators. The general offices are situated in Seattle, and branches are maintained at Lynden, Bellingham, Mount Vernon, Everett, Alderwood Manor, Tacoma, Oak Harbor, Aberdeen and Winlock. The association operates four mills, located at Bellingham, Everett, Lynden and Tacoma.
This great industry meets an economic need also. It does not impoverish the country but enriches the soil. The logged-off land, adapted to no other branch of agriculture, is converted into a profit-paying business. The land, buildings, equipment and stock of the members of the association are valued at more than thirty-five million dollars. Two out of every three families own automobiles; more than half of the homes are lighted by electricity and equipped with running water and bath rooms. Egg checks are received weekly by the members and dividend checks paid at the end of each year. Thus these poultrymen are valuable citizens, who are not only building their own individual communities but form one of the greatest and wealthiest business organizations of the northwest. The association ranks with the largest and most progressive institutions of the kind in the United States. Washcoegg, its official publication, is issued weekly and furnishes to the public the members of the association vital information and statistics relative to the activities and achievements of the organization.
In February, 1900, Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Ola Carter, of Oklahoma, and they have three children: Harry, Dora and Ina. Mr. Smith is connected with the Lions Club and the Modern Woodmen of America, while his political views are in accord with the tenets of the democratic party. A business man of broad experience, mature judgment and pronounced ability, he has contributed materially toward the prestige of the association which he represents and his worth as a citizen is uniformly conceded.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 404-405
Smith, James P.
James P. Smith, whose activities as a farmer, contractor and mill owner constituted an important factor in the material upbuilding of Bellingham and Whatcom county, passed away on the 7th of March, 1922, when fifty-eight years of age. He was born in Denmark in 1864, was taken by his parents to Germany when he was four years old and attended school in the latter country. When a lad of eleven years he returned to Denmark, and there remained until he attained the age of eighteen, when he immigrated to the United States in company with his sister, a maiden of eleven summers. He was a fluent speaker of several languages, including German, Danish, Norwegian, English, Swedish and Holland Dutch. In the early '90s he made his way to Seattle, Washington. He took up one hundred and sixty acres of uncleared land in Whatcom county, near Wall and proved up on the homestead when he was about twenty-seven years of age. By trade Mr. Smith was a stone mason. He helped build the court house and city hall in Bellingham and subsequently turned his attention to street contracting, paving Garden street, Eldridge avenue, Walnut street and other thoroughfares. He assisted in the construction of the State Normal School at Bellingham and was awarded the contract for the stone work on the Catholic Hospital. Thereafter he made his home on a ranch for two years, or until about 1902, when he returned to Bellingham and here continued in stone work. He next began the operation a shingle mill on Hutchison creek, above Acme, and was thus engaged for four years, after which he purchased another farm comprising about eighty acres and situated about two miles north of Ferndale. He was engaged in dairying thereon for six years, after which he leased the property for a time. Upon disposing thereof he again entered the milling business, conducting a mill at Mosquito lake for three years, on the expiration of which period he bought a home in Bellingham and installed his family therein. Selling the mill at Mosquito lake, he purchased another mill at Grandy Lake, five miles above Concrete, to the operation of which he devoted his attention throughout the remainder of his life.
In 1892 Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Maude Aikens, a native of Indiana and a daughter of Alexander and Catherine Aikens, who also were born in the Hoosier state and were of Irish and English extraction, respectively. The family was early established on American soil. The father of Mrs. Maude (Aikens) Smith was an agriculturist by occupation. It was in 1886 that she accompanied her mother, a sister and a brother to Bellingham, Washington, where she pursued her education. During her last year of school she was a pupil in the Sehome school house, which had just been built. Two sisters and a brother of Mrs. Smith had also removed to Whatcom county at the same time that she came here. She was married at Bellingham and became the mother of nine children, as follows; Elmer James, who is at the Grandy Lake mill; Ralph William, a resident of Vancouver, British Columbia; Richard B., who is in Alaska; Ernest A., a student in the Bellingham high school; Bernard E., who is at the Grandy Lake mill; Paul Henry, who is attending school; Mrs. Dorothy Hofstad, who lives in Alaska, and is the mother of two children; and Wallace, a resident of Tacoma, Washington.
Mr. Smith gave his political allegiance to the republican party, to the principles of which his widow also adheres. He was chairman of the school board of Ferndale and was overseer of the building of the Ferndale high school. He belonged to the Danish Brotherhood, being a charter member of the local organizations at Seattle and Bellingham. Mr. Smith was secretary and treasurer and a director of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, having been one of the originators and organizers. He was also instrumental in promoting and building the condensery at Ferndale, and he assisted in building the first dry dock at Bremerton. He never regretted his determination to seek a home in America, for here he found the opportunities which he sought and through their wise utilization won both prosperity and an honored name. His widow, who came to Whatcom county four decades ago, enjoys an extensive and favorable acquaintance in Bellingham, where she makes her home at No. 2523 Ellis street.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 125-126
Smith, J. R.
One of the venerable pioneers who remains to tell the story of the wild animals, the Indians and the far-flung forests of Whatcom county is J. R. Smith, residing near Sumas, one of the first settlers in the Nooksack valley and a man whom to know is to honor, for his life has been a long and useful one. The history of this locality and that of his own career during the past forty-three years are pretty much one and the same, for during this momentous period he has not only been eminently successful in advancing his individual interests but has also contributed in a very definite way to the improvement and progress of the locality in which he has lived. Mr. Smith was born in Ray county, Missouri, on the 22d of February, 1850, and is a son of Nathan and Mary (Bateman) Smith, both of whom also were natives of Missouri, though their families were originally from Virginia and Kentucky respectively. The father was a farmer by vocation, following that line of work up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1851. He was survived nearly a half century by his widow, who passed away in 1900. They were the parents of two children: William, deceased; and the subject of this sketch.
J. R. Smith attended the public schools of his native state and remained on the paternal farmstead until 1879, when he went to Colorado, where he followed mining for four years. In the spring of 1883 he came to Washington, locating in Kent, King county, where he spent the summer in logging camps. In the fall of that year he came to Whatcom county and located on one hundred and seventy acres of land, at the time unsurveyed and which was located three and a half miles southeast of Sumas. There were then no roads in that locality, and the land was covered with a heavy growth of timber. He began operations on the place by building a good hewed-log house, which at that time was the best house in the valley, and then turned his attention to the clearing of the land. During that period, in order to earn money for current expenses, he also worked at such employment as he could find in the neighborhood. He cleared about fifteen acres, built a new frame house in 1892 and a barn in 1893, and continued to operate the farm until 1897, when he sold it and bought sixty-three acres of land one and a half miles southeast of Sumas, the place being partly cleared. He has completed the clearing of this tract, which he has developed into a good farm, from which he derives a very satisfactory income. His land is planted to grain and beans, and he raises hay for his stock. He keeps eight good cows and some laying hens, and he maintains the farm at the highest standard of excellence.
Mr. Smith was married, February 23, 1870, in Orrick City, Ray county, Missouri, to Miss Judieth Louise Williams, who was born and reared in Ray county, Missouri, a daughter of Conway and Eliza (White) Williams, the former of whom was a native of Missouri and the latter of Virginia. Mr. Williams was a farmer during all of his active years, and he died on his homestead in Missouri. To him and his wife were born six children, namely: William B., deceased, George M., Merritt, deceased, Julia, Judieth and James, who lives on the old homestead in Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Smith have been born six children: Mrs. Minnie Good, who lives in British Columbia, is the mother of five children - Jane, Lena, John, Elzie and Merrill. Mrs. Eliza Martin, who lives in Bellingham, is the mother of four children - Frank, Etta, Rita and Guy. James who lives in Bellingham, has three children - Hazel, Lida and Theodore. Claud, who lives on a part of the home place, is married and has three children - Dorothy, Fred and Allan. Guy, who lives near Sumas, is married and has four children - Stanley, Norman, Alfred and John R. Robert G. is married and has a daughter, Berry May. Mr. and Mrs. Smith also have thirteen great-grandchildren, and to this family belongs the remarkable record of never having had a death in the family since the marriage of the subject and his wife, a period of over fifty-five years.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and takes a deep interest in everything pertaining to the prosperity and welfare of the farmers and dairymen of the county. He is a man of broad views, sound judgment and well formed opinions on the questions of the day. He has had all the experiences of the typical pioneer, including the hardships and privations, and fully appreciates the wonderful transformation that has taken place in this section of the state since he came here. He also saw effective service as a forest ranger, having spent ten years in that work in the Mount Baker district at Darrington in Washington. Politically he has always given his support to the republican party and has taken an active interest in political affairs, having served as a delegate to a number of state conventions of his party. He served on the Sumas election boards for several years. He owned and managed the Grand Central hotel at Sumas from 1889 to 1891. He and his wife are earnest members of the Advent Christian church at Sumas, to which they give generous support and of which he was one of the original builders. He is a strong advocate of improved roads and the best of local educational facilities - in fact, everything pertaining to the welfare and prosperity of the community receives his earnest cooperation. Because of his business success, splendid character, fine public spirit and genial personality, he has long held an enviable place in the community in which he lives.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 587-588
Smith, John W. Macrae
John W. Macrae Smith, veteran florist at Bellingham and for years recognized as something more than a local authority on bulb culture, is a native of Scotland and has been a resident of Whatcom county since the days of his young manhood, having settled here in 1888, the year after he attained his majority. He was born in 1866 and was fifteen years of age when he crossed the water with his parents, Andrew and Elizabeth (Macrae) Smith, the family settling on a farm in the province of New Brunswick, Canada. Mr. Smith is an elder brother of Dr. A. M. Smith (q. v.), who has been engaged in the practice of medicine in Bellingham since 1901.
John W. M. Smith left Canada at the age of eighteen years, and in 1888 he came into what was then the Territory of Washington and settled at Bellingham, becoming employed in that section of the bay settlements known as Whatcom. He presently bought property here and became an established resident of the town. Gradually he began to turn his attention to floriculture, with particular reference to the bulb plants, tulips, narcissuses and the like, being the first person in the community thus definitely to become engaged in the propagation of these growths. In 1897 he bought a tract of fourteen acres along the shore at the site of old Fort Bellingham (numerous relics of which stronghold remain on his place) and there started his now extensive plant of greenhouses. As the years have passed and as the demand for hothouse flowers has increased Mr. Smith has extended his operations along this line until he is now the proprietor of one the best floricultural establishments in the northwest and the propagator of some of the finest flowers grown in this particularly favored section of the world. Though all varieties of the choice flowers and plants desired in the trade are found in his greenhouses, Mr. Smith has never lost his early love for the bulbous plants, and his bulbs are sought by discriminating growers in all parts of the country, the fame of the Smith greenhouses having long ago spread far and wide.
In 1905 Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Edith Percy, who was born in England, and they have five children: Elsie, William, John, Jean and Fred. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are republicans and have ever given their earnest attention to local civic affairs and to such movements as have been designed to advance the common welfare throughout this region. Mrs. Smith is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church and has ever been attentive to local parish affairs.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 158
Smith, Robert H.
No history of Whatcom county would be complete without special reference to the Smith family, whose members have played a leading part in the development of this favored region, in which for more than a half century the name has been synonymous with enterprise, ability and probity. Through his achievements Robert H. Smith has brought additional prestige to the family, and his operations in the real estate field are proving of much benefit to Blaine, which numbers him among its self-made men, for he has made his own way in the world, proving what may be accomplished when effort and ambition combine. He was long a conspicuous figure in local financial circles and his fellow townsmen have honored him with offices of trust and responsibility.
Mr. Smith was born May 28, 1878, in Whatcom county, and his father, Henry A. Smith, was a native of New York city. He was born in 1845 and in Illinois married Miss Alice McComb, a native of that state. They journeyed to Whatcom county in 1873 and in November the father entered a homestead in Mountain View township to which his brother-in-law, Charles McComb, came at the same time, each taking up a quarter section. The land was heavily timbered and they had much difficulty in clearing their claims, exerting every effort to bring the soil under cultivation. They were among the earliest settlers in the township, and the only method of transportation was by water. Wild animals roamed through the forests and it was necessary to build a corral for the protection of the stock at night. As time passed Henry A. Smith succeeded in developing ninety acres of his land and eventually became the owner of a productive farm. His well tilled fields yielded abundant harvests, and he also cut wild hay from the Indian reservation adjoining his property. He was one of the most progressive men in northwestern Washington and among the first stock raisers of Whatcom county. He was liberal, broadminded and public-spirited and aided in the work of building the first church and schoolhouse in Mountain View township. He served on the school board and was deputy assessor and one of the first commissioners of the county. He endured with fortitude the many hardships of pioneer times and faithfully fulfilled every duty and obligation in life. He was an earnest member of the Congregational church and his political support was given to the republican party. His was a career of great usefulness and closed December 16, 1909, while the mother passed away March 9, 1910. To their union were born eight children, seven of whom survive. Some of the daughters attended the normal school at Lynden, Washington, and became successful teachers.
Mrs. Jordan, the great-grandmother of Robert H. Smith, built the first hotel in Whatcom. His boyhood was spent amid the scenes of frontier life, and he remembers the time when Ferndale contained only two cabins and the only means of reaching the town was by canoe, this method of transportation being replaced by ox teams after the construction of roads through the township. It was unsafe to venture into the woods without a gun, and as a youth he engaged in hunting expeditions for bears, wolves and cougars. Deer were plentiful and the forests abounded in wild game of all kinds. His early instruction was received in one of the log schoolhouses of the county, and at the age of nineteen he became a wage earner, working in logging camps, while he also aided in making fish traps. In this way he accumulated the necessary funds for continuing his education and for two years attended the high school at Bellingham, of which one of his sisters was a pupil at the same time. Mr. Smith also paid his way through the Wilson Business College and after finishing his course continued his work in connection with the fishing industry. When twenty-three years of age he became bookkeeper for the Carlisle Canning Company and in March, 1902, entered the employ of the Monarch Lumber Company of Blaine, which he served in the same capacity for three years. On the expiration of that period Mr. Smith opened a book store, here, also handling stationery, and conducted the business for three years. After disposing of his stock he took a hunting trip and on his return became a bookkeeper in the State Bank of Blaine. Merit won him promotion to the office of cashier in 1910 and he acted in that capacity until 1914, when the business was acquired by the Home State Bank, of which he was assistant cashier until 1922. Meanwhile he had become financially interested in the North Bluff Mill Company, manufacturer of shingles and was connected with that corporation until the World war, when he sold his stock. In 1922 he resigned his position in the Home State Bank and purchased the real estate and insurance business of George S. Shaw. Mr. Smith has since devoted his energies to these lines of activity, and a number of important transfers of property have been effected through his agency. In development projects he displays foresight and keen sagacity, and each department of the business has enjoyed a steady and healthful growth.
In 1910 Mr. Smith married Miss Rose Drake, a native of Missouri and a daughter of Mrs. Mary Drake, who came to Blaine in 1902. They have two sons: Kermit, born in 1911; and John Robert, born in 1925. Mr. Smith is a republican in his political views and for two terms was a member of the town council. He was mayor of Blaine for one term and gave to the municipality a businesslike and progressive administration, productive of excellent results. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Pythias. He has been secretary of the Chamber of Commerce for many years and loses no opportunity to exploit the resources and attractions of his community, county and state, to which he is deeply attached. He has made the most of life, correctly understanding its values and purposes, and time has proven his worth, bringing him the respect, confidence and good will of his fellowmen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 578-579
Smith Reuben P.
The late Reuben P. Smith, a veteran of the Civil war, who died at his home in Bellingham in the summer of 1924, had been a resident of Whatcom county for almost a quarter of a century and had a wide acquaintance throughout the county, leaving a good memory at his passing. His widow is still living here, and his children and children's children are doing well their respective parts in community service. Mr. Smith was a native of the old Buckeye state, born in Ohio in 1837. His father was a native of Connecticut and his mother of Virginia, both members of old families in their respective sections of the country, and the elements of both the Puritan and the Cavalier are thus mingled in the blood of his descendants.
When Reuben P. Smith was but three years of age, in 1840, his parents moved with their family from Ohio to the promising Territory of Iowa, which five years later was admitted to the Union as a state, and became pioneers thereof. There he grew to manhood, familiar with the labors of developing a prairie farm, and was living there when the Civil war broke out. He enlisted his services in behalf of the cause of the Union and went to the front as a member of Company B of the Eighteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, with which command he served as a soldier for three years. Upon the completion of his military service Mr. Smith resumed his farming operations in Iowa and there remained until 1882, when he closed out his holdings and moved to Kansas. In 1890 he came into the Sound country with a carload of cattle for the bay settlements and was so deeply impressed with the possibilities of this region as a place of settlement that upon his return to Kansas he disposed of his holdings there and soon after came with his family to Whatcom county, settling on a tract of farm land about ten miles from Bellingham, in the Laurel neighborhood. He cleared and improved the place and there made his home until his retirement in 1912 and removal to Bellingham. Upon coming to town Mr. Smith bought a home on Meridian street but presently traded that place for the home at 1703 James street, where his widow is now living, and there he spent his last days, his death occurring July 27, 1924. Mr. Smith was a member of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic and his funeral was conducted under the direction of that patriotic organization. His first ballot as a voter had been cast in favor of the ticket headed by Abraham Lincoln in 1860, and he was ever after an ardent republican. He was a member of the Church of the Disciples (Christian church), as is his widow, and their children were reared in the faith of that communion.
In 1859, in Iowa, Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Mary Huff who, as noted above, survives him, and their union was unbroken by death for sixty-five years. Of the ten children born to them all are living save two, the survivors being: Nettie, Earl P., Harry, Jessie, Madge, Louis P., Reuben O., and Myrtle. Mrs. Smith has a large number of grandchildren and several great-grandchildren, in all of whom she takes much pride and delight. She was born in Indiana, and her father was a native of Kentucky, while her mother was born in Ohio. Mrs. Smith has seen much of pioneer life and out of her wealth of experience as a pioneer in Iowa, Kansas and Whatcom county can narrate many interesting stories concerning conditions the settlers often were compelled to face, conditions that to the present generation may seem hardly possible, so amazing have been the changes brought about during the lifetime of this venerable pioneer mother.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 743-744
There is a peculiar satisfaction in offering the life records of such men as Walter Smith, a successful farmer and poultryman of Ferndale township - not that their lives have been such as to gain for them particularly wide notice or the admiring plaudits of men, but that they have been true to the trusts reposed in them and have shown such attributes of character as to entitle them to the regard of all. Mr. Smith was born in New Rochester, Ohio, on the 7th of May, 1876, and is a son of Milton and Mary (Clay) Smith, the father a native of Maryland and the mother of Ohio. From the latter state the family moved to Michigan, where they remained until November, 1889, when they came to Whatcom county and took up a tract of one hundred and sixty acres, and to the clearing and cultivation of this land Milton Smith devoted himself for two years. At the end of that time he sold the homestead and moved to Bellingham but eventually made his home in Ferndale, where his death occurred April 23, 1924. His wife died March 19, 1919. Milton Smith was a veteran of the Civil war, having volunteered for service, and was seriously wounded in battle, being confined for some time in a hospital. To him and his wife were born the following children: Frank, Mrs. Ida Montgomery, Walter, Floyd, Mrs. Amy Watson, Irvin, and Mrs. Bertha Mossgrove and Clarence, both deceased.
Walter Smith secured his education in the public schools of Michigan and of Whatcom county and until he was twenty-five years of age remained at home, assisting his father. He then worked in the sawmills and lumber camps until 1908, when he located on forty acres of land, one mile southeast of Ferndale, where he is now living, and he has created a very comfortable home there and is conducting a profitable poultry and egg farm. He keeps eight hundred and fifty laying hens and also has about five hundred pullets, in the handling of which he has met with gratifying success. He likewise keeps five milk cows, good grade Jerseys and Guernseys. Several acres of the land are under cultivation, the remainder being devoted to pasture and timber. His success in the poultry business has been so encouraging that he is planning to enlarge it extensively. He keeps only good stock and devotes himself closely to the business, being careful and painstaking in all that he does and exercising excellent judgment and sound common sense in all his operations.
In February, 1902, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Julia Wynn, who is a native of Whatcom county and a daughter of Thomas and Jane Wynn. To them have been born four children, all of whom are at home, namely: Frank, Clara, Vera and Robert. Mr. Smith is a man of genial and companionable nature, kindly and accommodating in his neighborly relations, and he has so ordered his actions as to win and retain the sincere esteem and regard of all who know him, being accounted one of the leading citizens of his locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 141