Tabor, Charles M.
A fine type of the virile American business man, Charles M. Tabor has achieved noteworthy success as a dealer in automobile accessories and occupies a place of leadership in commercial circle of Bellingham. He was born May 13, 1888, is Spokane, Washington, and is a son of John Wesley and Mattie (Fisher) Tabor, the former a native of Illinois and the latter of Memphis, Tennessee. They settled in Spokane, Washington, in 1886 and in 1891 came to Bellingham, which was then known as Whatcom. The father was connected with the logging business and also engaged in teaming but is now living retired.
Charles M. Tabor was but three years old when his parents came to Whatcom county, and his education was acquired in the public schools of Bellingham. He was connected with the drug trade for a number of years and in 1915 embarked in the wholesale tie business in partnership with Norman P. Cruikshank. They continued in that line until 1917 and have since specialized in automobile accessories. The business was started on Elk street and a year and a half later was moved to its present location at No. 1327 Cornwall avenue. The firm of Tabor & Cruikshank occupies one floor of a building forty-two by one hundred and twenty-five feet and employs three traveling salesmen, who cover the territory north of Everett, Washington. The house carries a full line of automotive equipment, and this is the only wholesale organization of the kind in Bellingham. The members of the firm are men of enterprise and ability and as a result of their combined efforts the business has enjoyed a continuous and healthful growth.
On September 15, 1918, Mr. Tabor married Miss Gertrude Marsh, of Bellingham, and to this union has been born a son, John McVey. Mr. Tabor is a Rotarian and along fraternal lines is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, while in politics he is a republican. He heartily indorses (sic) every movement for the betterment of the community and his moral worth is established by the high place which he holds in the esteem of Bellingham's citizens, among whom his life has been passed.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 221
Tarte, John F.
Few men of a past generation in Whatcom county were held in higher esteem than was the late John F. Tarte, who is now sleeping in the "windowless palaces of rest." His memory will long be revered by the host of people who knew and admired him, for he was a man who won popular commendation, owing to his sterling honesty, his charitable and hospitable nature and his readiness to help in the furtherance of any movement for the general upbuilding of the community. He was one of the sterling pioneer citizens to whom we owe so much, for he came here when the land was little more than a wilderness and, working hard and long, redeemed the fertile fields and the fine farm where he lived during his later years.
Mr. Tarte was born in Staffordshire, England, January 16, 1852, and his death occurred at Bellingham in 1920, when in the sixty-ninth year of his age. His father, John F. Tarte, also a native of England, came to the United States with his family about the time of the Civil war, and the ship on which they took passage was pursued by the Confederate frigate Alabama. They came to Esquimalt, Vancouver island, in 1863, and remained there until 1868, when they came to Bellingham. The father had worked in coal mines in England and on coming to Bellingham he worked as a foreman in coal mines for two years. In the early '70s he went to California creek, being one of the first settlers in that locality, and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of raw land.
Our subject was also employed for a time in the coal mines at Bellingham, working as a mule driver, but later he served as an engineer on several of the sound boats. After his marriage Mr. Tarte came to the present location of his farm and homestead one hundred and sixty acres of land, which was heavily covered with timber and brush, and he at once entered upon the work of clearing it and getting it ready for cultivation. At that time there were no roads in this locality, though the trail to Bellingham ran through his land, and wild animals were numerous. In the work of clearing the land Mr. Tarte was ably assisted by his sons, and together they cleared one hundred acres, gradually developing the place into one of the best ranches in this section of the county. A large tract has been reserved for pasturage, as considerable attention has been given to dairying, in which line they have been very successful. Sufficient grain and other field products for the stock are raised and there is also a fine vegetable garden, which supplies the table. The farm buildings are substantial in character, and the ranch is one of the most desirable in this locality.
In 1879 Mr. Tarte was married to Miss Mary Eleanor Smith, who was born in London, England, and came to this country with her parents in 1872. She is a daughter of James and Elizabeth Susanna (Winborn) Smith, both of whom also were born and reared in England, where the father was a freighter. On their arrival in this country they located in Connecticut, where they remained for two years, and then went to British Columbia, where they lived for a similar length of time. Mr. Smith then took his family to Seabeck, on Hood's canal, where they made their permanent home, and there both parents died. To them were born three children.
Mrs. Tarte received her education in the public schools of Connecticut, and her marriage to Mr. Tarte occurred after the family located at Seabeck. To Mr. and Mrs. Tarte were born seven children, namely: Rebecca Elizabeth, who became the wife of P. R. Jeffcott, of Woodland, and is the mother of six children; John F. Jr., who lives on a part of the old farm and who married Bess Behme, of Custer, and has one child; Frances M., who is the wife of J. L. Nicholson, of California, and is the mother of three children; Eleanor M., the wife of W. L. Wilder, of Custer, and the mother of two children; J. A., who also lives on a part of the home place and who married Laura Lee and has two children; Alice P., who is the wife of H. Lewis, of Ferndale, and the mother of two children; and Willetta M., who is the wife of H. Ferguson, of Mountain View, and has three children.
Mr. Tarte was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He took a deep interest in the public affairs of his locality, being specially strong in his advocacy of good schools, and he was one of the original members of the school board, on which he served for thirty years. He was well equipped in all the essential elements of good citizenship, standing staunchly for those things most conductive to the well being of the community, and was long recognized as one of the leading and most influential citizens of his locality. Genial and kindly in all his social relations, he enjoyed a wide acquaintance throughout this section of the county, and he had many warm and loyal friends, who held him in high esteem because of his genuine worth as a man and a citizen.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 146-149
Tarte, Captain Whitfield Roland
No review of the history of Whatcom county and of the development of this region from the days of the pioneers would be complete lacking proper reference to the part played by the Tarte family, now prominently represented in Bellingham by Captain Whitfield Roland Tarte, retired sea captain and joint proprietor with his wife of the popular American Hotel on Cornwall avenue, formerly known as "The Antlers" and for many years one of the widely known hostelries in the northwest. Though of English birth Captain Tarte has been a resident of this country since the days of his childhood, a period of more than sixty years. He was born in Staffordshire, England, May 14, 1858, and is a son of John Frederick and Rebecca (McKnight) Tarte, well remembered pioneers of the Bellingham Bay country. The latter was a daughter of Sir James W. McKnight, an officer of the British army who was knighted for valorous service on the field during the time of the Peninsular wars. She was born October 1, 1828, and died at the home of her youngest son, Alfred A. Tarte, in Anacortes, March 29, 1903, after a residence in this region of forty years.
The late John F. Tarte, one of the honored pioneers of Whatcom county, who died at the home of his son, Captain Whitfield R. Tarte, June 30, 1905, was born in England, December 30, 1824, and was thus past eighty years of age at the time of his death. He was reared in his native country and became an expert in mine processes. In 1854 he married Rebecca McKnight, and he continued in the mining industry in England until 1862, when he took a trip into the coast country of British Columbia to look after the investments he had made in the Caribou mines there. In the spring of 1863 he was joined at Victoria by his wife and their five children - the daughter, Eliza Jane, who married Captain Joseph White; and the four sons, James W., John F., William J. and Whitfield, who then was but five years of age. The family had made the trip by way of the Isthmus and up the coast from Panama. By this time J. F. Tarte had become well established at Victoria, operating the mine stores and also owning a line of boats, and he remained there until 1869, when he closed out his affairs at that place and with his family came over into the Bellingham Bay settlement to superintend the loading of the ships for the Bellingham Bay Coal Company, which at that time, with a considerable force of Chinese labor, was mining coal where the city of Bellingham now stands. He continued thus engaged in mining until it was found that this development would not prove a profitable enterprise, and in 1872 he bought a considerable tract of land on California creek in the Semiahmoo Blaine district. For ten years he was engaged in clearing and farming, at the end of which time he embarked in the hotel business at Semiahmoo, operating a hotel which in 1886 was destroyed by fire. He reestablished himself in business there and continued at Blaine until his retirement in 1894 and removal to Anacortes. It was here that Mrs. Tarte spent her last days, as noted above, Mr. Tarte following her to the grave two years later. Both are at rest in Pleasant Valley cemetery. They were survived by their seven children, two of whom, the youngest son, Alfred, and the second daughter, Lillian, the wife of William Smith, were born to them after their arrival in America, the former in Victoria and the latter in Bellingham, and their descendants in the present generation form a quite numerous family connection.
Whitfield R. Tarte secured his first schooling in Victoria, and upon coming to Bellingham in 1869, he then being eleven years of age, he continued his studies in the first school opened here, his teacher being Isabella Eldridge. When the family moved to the farm on California creek, he took part in operations there and while thus engaged helped his brother, James W. Tarte, bring to that farm the first threshing machine brought to Whatcom county, and owning to his engineering ability became its operator. When eighteen years of age Whitfield R. Tarte killed single-handed, his weapon being an ax, a large black bear. He helped put through the first road from Blaine to Ferndale and drove the first ox team over it, hauling supplies for the erection of the buildings of the Methodist Episcopal camp-meeting ground at the latter place. When he reached his majority he began to follow the sea and was for years thereafter employed in the Puget Sound waters trade, advancing until in good time he became the skipper of his own vessel. His first seamanship experience was as a deckhand on a ship under Captain Fred Monroe, his eldest brother, James W. Tarte, being the first mate. He was advanced to a first engineer's berth and was employed as a marine engineer on various vessels in the Sound trade, one of which was the missionary boat, the Evangel, fitted out by Herbert Beecher, son of the Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, for service in behalf of the Indians in Alaska, and he was later engineer of that vessel under Captain Todd. After his marriage in 1887 he and his wife made their home in Seattle for a year or more, and he then purchased the home farm on California creek and was there engaged in farming for a couple of seasons, but the lure of the sea was strong, and he presently resumed his old calling as a marine engineer. Not long afterward he bought a vessel of his own, the Seattle, which he operated for two years, at the end of which time he sold it and became captain of the Puritan. Later he was captain of the mail boat Lady of the Lake and others, and he continued thus occupied until 1910, when he returned to Bellingham and opened Tarte Hall, a boarding house for students of the State Normal School. In 1917 he and Mrs. Tarte took over the McLoud Hotel, in 1919 the Irving and in 1921 "The Antlers," the latter a hotel at No. 1314 1/2 Cornwall avenue, which they have been operating as the American Hotel, it being one of the most popular hostelries in the city. The American has forty-six rooms, and under Mrs. Tarte's capable and experienced management it has established a fine reputation as a family and residential hotel. Captain Tarte's attention is largely devoted to his duties as manager of the First National Bank building, which position he has occupied since 1914.
It was on April 11, 1887, in the Pleasant Valley neighborhood, when he was engineer on the Evangel, that Captain Tarte was united in marriage to Miss Eleanor Parr, and they have four daughters, Jennie, Alfreda, Lillian and Rose. Jennie Tarte married Burl Jones of Blaine and has a son, Stanley Jones, born in 1908. Alfreda Tarte married Alfred Kratz, now living in Bellingham, and has a son, George Kratz. Lillian Tarte married Felix Rogers of Port Angeles and has three children, Nellie, Anabel and Felix Rogers, Jr. Rose Tarte married Arthur W. Kratz, now living in Bellingham, and has four children, Arthur, Alfred, Whitfield and Rosedarrow. Mrs. Tarte was born in California and is a daughter of William and Rosanna (Bray) Parr, who had settled in California in 1860 and who in 1882 came to Whatcom county with their family, reaching Ferndale by canoe. They settled on a farm of eighty acres in the vicinity of Ferndale in the Pleasant Valley neighborhood, and there William Parr and his wife spent the remainder of their lives, honored and useful pioneers of that section. A sister of Mrs. Tarte taught the first school in that neighborhood for three months, for which she received fifty dollars.
Captain and Mrs. Tarte are republicans and have ever taken an interested part in local civic affairs. Mrs. Tarte has for years been an active and enthusiastic worker in behalf of the cause of temperance, being one of the forceful factors in the local branch of the Women's Christian Temperance Union. She has also been helpful in other forms of women's club work, of the Women's Relief Corps, of which organization she is a member by right of her uncle's service as a soldier during the time of the Civil war. Both she and Captain Tarte have long been prominent members of the Whatcom County Pioneer Society, of which she has for years been a director, and their participation in the activities of that fine organization has been helpful in many ways in promoting the interest in the annual meetings and in keeping alive the traditions of the days of the pioneers. In 1916 Captain Tarte was the recipient of the loving cup annually presented by the Pioneer Society to the senior pioneer of the county. The eldest brother, James, having received the cup the year before, on his record of having come into the county as a sort of "pathfinder" with his father a few weeks prior to the arrival of the remainder of the family from Victoria. Being among the real pioneers of this county, both Captain and Mrs. Tarte are thoroughly familiar with developments here during what may be regarded as the modern period of that development, and they have many interesting stories to tell of the days when the settlers were blazing the way and making possible the conditions out of which gradually has been evolved the present splendid social structure.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 200-203
Tawes, Charles T.
Charles T. Tawes, one of the successful farmers of the western part of Whatcom county, who passed away December 11, 1918, was a man whom everybody liked because of his business ability, his success, his fine public spirit, his social nature and his genial and kindly attitude towards all with whom he came in contact. He was a native son of Whatcom county, having been born in Bellingham on the 4th of December, 1862. His parents, McKinney Thomas and Mary (Bird) Tawes, were natives of Maryland and Dublin, Ireland, respectively. The father, who was a sailor, went to San Francisco, California, about 1852, and remained in that city until 1856, when he was married. In the following year he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and took up one hundred sixty acres of land on the Nooksack river on May 22, 1862, which land was located near Ferndale and was covered with stumps and a dense growth of brush. At that time wild animals, principally wolves and cougars, were so plentiful that the pioneers were compelled to lock up their pigs and calves at night to protect them from the wild animals. Mr. Tawes was a pioneer in the full sense of the term and his early years here were characterized by hard and continuous toil until he had cleared his land and gotten it under cultivation. He resided on the farm until his death, which occurred there in 1898, but during a few years of this time he was employed as engineer by the Bellingham Bay Coal Mining Company. His wife passed away in January, 1919. They were the parents of four children, Mrs. Annie Ray, Charles T., Mrs. Emily Mohrmann Bearse and John Q.
Charles T. Tawes received his education in the public schools of his home neighborhood and rendered valuable assistance in clearing the home farm, remaining with his father until his marriage, in 1889, when he went to housekeeping on forty acres of the old homestead, where he established a fine home and lived during the remainder of his life. He was an energetic and capable farmer, exercising sound judgment in all of his operations, and his efforts were rewarded with a very gratifying measure of success. He made many permanent and substantial improvements on the place, developing it into a very comfortable and attractive homestead and he gained the reputation of a progressive and up-to-date farmer. He was very fond of hunting and, being a splendid marksman, he usually bagged his full share of game. He was a member of the lodge of Knights of Pythias at Ferndale. Personally, he was a man of many likable qualities, being upright in character and affable and friendly in all his social relations, generous in his attitude towards benevolent and charitable objects and always ready to cooperate with his fellow citizens in any good work or for the betterment of the public welfare along any line. He was in every way a splendid citizen, and his memory remains as a blessed benediction on all who knew him.
On November 26, 1889, Mr. Tawes was married to Miss Edith Wheeler, who was born in Cass county, Iowa, a daughter of John D. and Forbina (Hicks) Wheeler, the former a native of New York state, and the latter of Ontario, Canada. On the paternal side the family was Welsh and English descent and was English on the maternal side. John D. Wheeler came to Whatcom county in 1885, locating at Ferndale, where he conducted a store for five years and also served as postmaster. He died in Bellingham in 1905 and is survived by his widow, who is now seventy-six years of age. To him and his wife were born six children, namely: Ida, who became the wife of T. B. Wynn; Edith, now Mrs. Tawes; Mrs. Maud Slater; Mrs. Belle Wampler; Oliver J., deceased, and Mrs. Grace Hanlon. Mr. and Mrs. Tawes became the parents of four children: Kenneth J., born February 27, 1891, was married to Phoebe Rahorst and they have three sons, Jack K., born August 11, 1922, Richard and Robert, twins, born July 24, 1924. Ira C., born March 2, 1893, was married to Boletta Jacobsen and they have two children, Dorothy Marie, born July 21, 1923, and Howard V., born July 22, 1925. Amos W., born March 29, 1905, is a graduate of the Ferndale high school and is now a student in the State Normal School at Bellingham.
Since the death of her husband, Mrs. Tawes has taken over the management and operation of the farm, which she is directing with skill and good judgment, ably carrying forward the work so splendidly established by Mr. Tawes. She keeps ten good high grade cows, a pure bred Jersey bull and two hundred laying hens, while the land is devoted to diversified farming, raising principally hay and grain. She is a member of the Pomona Grange, the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom Poultry Association. A lady of agreeable manner, hospitable disposition, good tact and wise discrimination, she has long enjoyed the sincere esteem and respect of the community and is a popular member of the circles in which she moves.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 906-909
Taylor, S. E.
S. E. Taylor, manager of the Bellingham branch of the Independent Truck Company of Everett and a member of the board of directors of that company, is widely known in overland transportation circles throughout the northwest. He is a native of the Badger state but has been a resident of the Evergreen state since childhood and a resident of Bellingham since 1920, when the company with which he is connected established its branch office and station in that city. Mr. Taylor was born in the village of Iola, Waupaca county, Wisconsin, in 1899, and was three years of age when in 1902 his parents, R. B. and Marietta Taylor, came with their family to Washington and established their home in Everett, where the former is now in business as the district salesman for the Dupont Powder Company.
Reared at Everett, S. E. Taylor finished his education in the high school there and then became engaged in business with his elder brother, E. R. Taylor, the two establishing a motor truck line between Everett and Arlington, a milk and freight route between Seattle and Fort Sumner, and other lines. In 1923 the three Taylor brothers, E. R. Taylor, who had established the business in Everett in 1914; and S. E. and E. C. Taylor, incorporated the Independent Truck Company and have since been carrying on business under that name, with offices and stations at Everett, Bellingham and other points convenient to the territory they cover. In 1920 the Bellingham branch was opened, with station on Council street, and in 1922 moved to the company's present quarters at 1310 Railroad avenue. This company maintains daily service from Seattle, covering points north to the Canadian line and operating no fewer than forty-three trucks and trailers, all save seven of which are of more than five-ton capacity, and almost one hundred men are employed. The officers of the company are as follows: President R. B. Bovee, of Everett, and secretary-treasurer and general manager, E. R. Taylor, of Everett, these, with S. E. Taylor, E. C. Taylor, C. H. Bovee and Charles Leo, forming the directorate. S. E. Taylor has been the manager of the Bellingham branch of the company's extensive service since 1923 and is recognized as a definite factor in the commercial and industrial life of the city, being one of the best known and most energetic young business men there.
On December 20, 1919, at Everett, S. E. Taylor was united in marriage to Miss Borkhild Hendrickson of that city, and they have two children: Juanita Marie and Spencer Jack. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor have a pleasant home in Bellingham and since taking up their residence there have given their interested attention to the city's general social activities. They are republicans and take a proper interest in civic affairs. Mr. Taylor is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 886-889
Tegenfeldt, Claus G.
Claus G. Tegenfeldt, proprietor of a well established plumbing shop on Elk street in the city of Bellingham, and formerly for years an attache of the gas company's force, widely known in and about the city, is of European birth but has been a resident of Whatcom county since the days of his boyhood. He was born in Sweden, October 14, 1886, and is a son of Gust and Mary Tegenfeldt. The mother died in her native land in 1889, her son Claus then being a child of but three years of age. Not long after the death of his wife Gust Tegenfeldt came to America with his family and in December, 1903, came to Bellingham. Not long afterward he settled on a farm in the Everson neighborhood in this county and is now (1926) living there.
Claus G. Tegenfeldt was seventeen years of age when he came here with his father in 1903. he finished his education in the local business college and then took up the plumbing trade. In 1907, the year in which he came into his majority, he became connected with the operations of the gas company, thus spending thirteen years, and on April 1, 1920, he opened a plumbing shop at 1138 State street and became engaged in business on his own account. In 1923 he moved to his present place at 1307 State street and is proprietor of one of the best equipped plumbing shops in the city and amply stocked for attendance to all calls made in the fine trade area centering in Bellingham.
In 1912 Mr. Tegenfeldt was united in marriage to Miss Annie E. Wahlstrand, who was born in Nebraska, daughter of Herman Wahlstrand a farmer living in Ten Mile township, this county, and they have two children, a son, Herman, and a daughter, Elizabeth. Mr. and Mrs. Tegenfeldt are members of the Swedish Baptist church and take a deep interest in church work and other helpful local activities. As to his political views, Mr. Tegenfeldt enrolls himself among the "independents."
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 429
Henry Thiel, of the mercantile firm of Theil & Welter, dealers in furniture at Bellingham, is one of the veteran business men of that city, where he has resided for more than thirty-five years. He was born in the city of Minneapolis, December 21, 1870, and is a son of Fred and Wilhelmina Thiel, the latter of whom is still living, making her home with her son in Bellingham. Her husband died in 1910.
In 1886, when he was sixteen years of age, Henry Thiel left Minneapolis and came to the coast. After spending some time in California and in Oregon he came to Washington in 1890 and cast in his lot with the people here in the Bay settlements. In association with Larry Ryan, he embarked in the manufacture of mattresses, doing business as the Bellingham Bay Bedding Company, with a plant on the Fairhaven side. Three years later he disposed of his interest in that concern and opened a general furniture repair shop, and in the spring of the next year (1894) the business was enlarged to include a general stock of furniture, James Welter at that time becoming his partner. They opened a furniture store on Holly street and conducted the business under their present firm style of Thiel & Welter, which is one of the oldest continuing trade names in the town, having been maintained intact for more than thirty years. In 1900, in order to accommodate the growing demands of the business, Thiel & Welter moved to a more commodious store on Elk street and remained there for five years of until 1905, when continuing expansion of the business required another move, and they then occupied their present place of business at No. 1312 Commercial street. The firm occupies three floors of this building, with a frontage of one hundred and twenty-five feet, and has a completely stocked and admirably appointed establishment, prepared to take care of any demands made in their line in the fine trade area centering in Bellingham.
Mr. Thiel is an active and influential member of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and is a charter member of the Rotary Club. In his political views he is aligned with the republicans. As one of the veteran merchants of Bellingham, he has ever taken an interested and helpful part in the promotion of all movements dealing with the general progress of the community, and he is recognized as one of the leaders in the commercial life of this region.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 89
Gomer Thomas, a lawyer of broad experience and marked ability, has practiced in Bellingham for fourteen years with gratifying success, and is widely and favorably known in Whatcom county owing to his activities in behalf of the dairy industry. A son of T. B. and Margaret (Davis) Thomas, he was born April 30, 1867, and is a native of Ohio. In 1881 his parents migrated to Nebraska and in that state his father followed the occupation of farming for several years. The latter passed away in Nebraska in 1890, and his widow is now living in Ohio.
Gomer Thomas was a pupil in the public schools of Ohio, and his higher education was received in the schools of Nebraska. He mastered the fundamental principles of jurisprudence and in May, 1890, was admitted to the bar. In 1892 he located at Alma, Nebraska, and there resided for two decades, handling much important litigation. His fellow townsmen showed their appreciation of his worth and ability by selecting him for the office of county attorney of Harlan county, of which he was the incumbent for twelve years, securing a large percentage of convictions. He came to Bellingham in 1912 and is now a member of the well known law firm of Peringer & Thomas, which has established a large and lucrative clientele. Mr. Thomas is attorney for the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, which he aided in incorporating, and his work has been of inestimable value to the organization. He takes a keen interest in cooperative matters and is a stanch ally of the farmers of this district, doing all in his power to promote their interests.
In 1893 Mr. Thomas married Miss Ella Kletzing, of Nebraska, and they have become the parents of five children: Lenore, who is the wife of Rudolph Brandenthaler, a geologist in the employ of the United States government and at present engaged in work in Oklahoma; Irene, who was united in marriage to Neville O'Neil and resides in New York city; Margaret, the wife of Lee Thomas, residing in Seattle; and Lloyd and Naomi, both at home. Mr. Thomas is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and his political views are in accord with the principles of the democratic party. He is a talented attorney and a good citizen who has won and retained a high place in the esteem of the residents of this locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 485
Thomason, Virgil D.
Virgil D. Thomason, one of Bellingham's well known realtors, has long been identified with this line of activity and is recognized as a business man of keen sagacity and thorough reliability. He was born September 14, 1881, in Grant county, Indiana, and was a child of eight years when his parents, Franklin and Jennie (McCracken) Thomason, migrated to Nebraska. In that state the father followed the occupation of farming until death terminated his labors, and the mother now lives in Bellingham.
Virgil D. Thomason received the benefit of a high school education and was reared on the home ranch, becoming thoroughly familiar with the work of plowing, planting and harvesting. As a young man he was engaged in farming and stock raising in Nebraska, and in 1900 he came to the Pacific coast, locating in Bellingham. In 1904 he returned to Nebraska but at the end of four years again made the trip to Bellingham, where he has since resided. For several years he was employed as a real estate salesman, becoming thoroughly acquainted with the business, and since 1917 he has been an independent operator. He opened an office on Elk street and is now located at No. 1318 Cornwall avenue. He conducts a general real estate business but specializes in farm lands, and he also writes insurance. Mr. Thomason has an intimate knowledge of the worth of all property in this section of the county, and many important transfers of realty have been effected through his agency. He has never taken advantage of another in a commercial transaction, faithfully executing the many trusts reposed in him, and he has prospered in his undertakings.
In 1906 Mr. Thomason married Miss Edith L. McEwen, of Nebraska, and to their union has been born one child, Oren Duane. Mr. Thomason belongs to the Bellingham Real Estate Association and the Chamber of Commerce and in politics is a republican. He has never lost his interest in agricultural pursuits and is the owner of "The Meadows," a fine dairy farm, situated near Laurel, Washington. He has a wide acquaintance and many steadfast friends in Bellingham, and his success has resulted from unceasing effort, tenacity of purpose and a willingness to assume the cares and responsibilities of business life.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 122
Thompson, Alfred U.
Alfred U. Thompson, postmaster at Everson and one of the best known men in Whatcom county, is a Canadian by birth but has been a resident here since his childhood, with the exception of some years spent in the postal service in Portland. He was but a lad when he came with his parents to this country in 1891, the family settling in the immediate vicinity of the site where in the next year the village of Everson sprang into being, and he thus has been a witness of the development of that now flourishing trade center from the very beginning. Mr. Thompson was born at Pilot Mound in the province of Manitoba, November 19, 1882, and is a son of Robert and Ellen (Simpson) Thompson, both also native Canadians, born in Ontario, and who settled in Manitoba in 1880. The latter is still living, being a resident of Everson, where she has had her home for some thirty-five years.
The late Robert Thompson was one of the pioneers of the Everson settlement, and he died at his home there in 1915. He had purchased a tract of forty acres of land within half a mile of where the Everson town site was laid out the year following his arrival here in 1891, and he also had an acre within the present limits of the town. When the village was established he embarked in the retail meat business there, being the proprietor of the first meat shop in the town, but after a while he sold the shop and was thereafter engaged in farming for a time. Subsequently he retired from the farm and was then employed as a rural mail carrier, for ten years being in charge of rural mail route No. 11 out of Everson. He is survived by his widow and five children, those besides the subject of this sketch being Miss Euphemia Thompson, now a resident of Seattle; Miss Mabel Thompson, who continues to make her home with her mother in Everson; Norman Thompson of Everson, and John S. Thompson, a farmer of this county, concerning whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work.
Reared on the home place near Everson, Alfred U. Thompson received his initial education in the schools of that village and supplemented this by attendance at the Wilson Business College in Bellingham and a business college in Seattle, from both of which institutions he was graduated. In 1904 he entered the railway mail service and was thus engaged for seven years, at the end of which time he was transferred to the Portland office. There he remained for seven years or until 1918, when he returned to Everson and was engaged in farming until his appointment in 1921 to the position of postmaster of his old home town, in which capacity he has since been serving. Mr. Thompson's long prior connection with the postal service, both as railway mail clerk and in the Portland post office, has endowed him with unusual fitness for the office he now occupies, and he has come to be recognized as one of the most competent and efficient postmasters in this district.
On September 9, 1911, at Bellingham, Mr. Thompson was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Ferguson of that city. She died July 1, 1922, leaving three daughters, Lois, Helen and Frances. Mr. Thompson is a republican and has long been recognized as one of the leaders of that party in Whatcom county. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is also affiliated with the Woodmen of the World.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 61-62
Thompson, F. Marion
If one desires to gain a vivid realization of the rapid advance in civilization which the last few decades have brought to the locality of which this work is a record, he may listen to the stories that men who are still living among us can tell of their early experiences in Whatcom county. Conspicuous among these hardy pioneers who did their part in laying broad and deep the foundation upon which the community's prosperity has been builded is he whose name appears at the head of this sketch - a man who has long enjoyed to a marked degree the respect and admiration of his fellow citizens.
F. Marion Thompson was born in Tennessee on the 1st of January, 1862, a son of A. F. and Martha (Moorefield) Thompson, the former of whom was a native of Tennessee and the latter of Indiana. The father followed farming in his native state until 1885, when he came to Whatcom county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Delta township, southwest of Lynden. The tract at that time was covered with timber, stumps and brush and it required the vision of the true pioneer to see the future possibilities of that locality. There were no roads, it being necessary for the newcomers to pack in everything on their backs from Ferndale, to which place they had come by boat. Mr. Thompson persevered in the task of clearing the land and getting it under cultivation and in the course of time developed the tract into a splendid farm, on which he spent the remaining years of his life, his death occurring there in 1903. His wife had died in 1865, when her son, the subject of this sketch, was but three years old. They had two children, F. Marion and Thomas.
F. Marion Thompson received his education in the public schools of Arkansas and Kansas, and after completing his studies he turned his attention to farming in the last named state, which occupation he followed for a few years. He then established a general mercantile store in Galena, Kansas, which he ran for about two years, and then, in 1887, he sold out and came to Whatcom county, Washington. For a while after coming here he worked at the carpenter's trade, and also, for about a year, ran the boarding house for the Roeder & Roth quarry. After following the carpenter's trade for another year, he began working as a millwright, building three mills in Ferndale. On completing these contracts he bought eighty acres of his father's farm in Delta township, located seven miles from Lynden, and which at that time had not been cleared. He applied himself closely to the development of this place and now has thirty acres cleared and well improved. He built a good house here in 1907 and also built a substantial barn and made other permanent improvements, all of which have added to the value of the place. The land is devoted to hay and grain, of which he gathers bounteous crops, and he keeps a dairy herd of ten cows, in the handling of which he has been very successful. In addition to his farming interests, Mr. Thompson also operated a threshing machine for about fifteen years. He has been a hard and persistent worker, doing thoroughly and well whatever he has undertaken, and a very gratifying measure of prosperity has crowned his efforts.
In September, 1887, Mr. Thompson was married to Miss Valeria Day, who was born and reared in Pennsylvania, and to them were born two children, both of whom died in infancy. Mrs. Thompson died in 1891, and on January 2, 1905, Mr. Thompson was married to Miss Belle McLelland. She passed away March 15, 1926. They were a congenial and hospitable couple. In 1921 Mr. and Mrs. Thompson adopted a daughter, Katie Gladys Welch, a niece of Mrs. Thompson, and she keeps house for her foster father. She is a graduate of the Bellingham Normal Scholl and has been employed in teaching in Delta township for the past five years. Mr. Thompson has taken a commendable interest in the welfare of the community, supporting all measurers for the material, civic or moral advancement of the locality. Because of his estimable qualities he has long been held in the highest esteem by all who know him, and his friends are legion.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 326-329
Thompson, Howard C.
Unceasing application, clear mental perception and most careful preparation are indispensable elements in the life of every man who achieves success in the legal profession, and that Howard C. Thompson is lacking in none of these requisites is indicated by the fact that he is numbered among the leading attorneys of Bellingham, where he has practiced for nearly twenty years. A son of William and Laura (Porter) Thompson, he was born January 15, 1878, in Champaign county, Illinois. In 1882 his parents migrated to Nebraska, where his father was engaged in farming until his demise. The mother is still a resident of that state.
Howard C. Thompson received his higher education in the University of Nebraska, from which he was graduated in June, 1901, with the degree of LL.B. In the fall of that year he was elected judge of Merrick county, Nebraska, and acceptably filled the office, serving for four years. He went to Idaho in 1906 and a year later migrated to Washington, locating at Seattle in January, 1907. He spent but a few months in that city and has since practiced in Bellingham, under his own name. He has a thorough understanding of statute and precedent and correctly applies his knowledge to the points in litigation. He has been retained as counsel in much important litigation and the years have brought him a large and lucrative clientele. He was appointed assistant county attorney and served for one term.
In 1908 Mr. Thompson married Miss Philomena McKivett, a native of Nebraska, and they have three children: Marshall, Mary and James. Mr. Thompson casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party and is a Catholic in religious faith. He belongs to the Knights of Columbus and is also connected with the Modern Woodmen of America. He owns a seventy acre farm on the Hannagan road, on which he resides, and he utilizes scientific methods in the cultivation of the soil. He keeps in close touch with the latest developments along agricultural lines and has converted his land into a rich and productive tract, supplied with many modern improvements. Mr. Thompson holds to high standards in the field of professional service and enjoys the unqualified respect of his fellow practitioners and the general public as well.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 794-795
Thompson, John S.
John S. Thompson, one of the well established and progressive farmers and dairymen of Whatcom county, is the proprietor of an admirably kept place on the outskirts of the flourishing village of Everson. He was born on a farm in the province of Ontario, Canada, May 27, 1890, and was eleven months old when in the spring of 1891 his parents, Robert and Ellen (Simpson) Thompson, came to Whatcom county with their family and settled on a farm in the immediate vicinity of the site on which the village of Everson came into being in that same year. Mrs. Thompson is still living here, being one of the honored pioneer mothers of the county. She was born in the province of Ontario, in the vicinity of Perth, as was her late husband. She has five children, the subject of this sketch having two sisters, Miss Euphemia Thompson, now a resident of Seattle, and Mrs. Mabel Herbst, who continues to make her home with her mother in Everson; and two brothers, Alfred U. Thompson (q. v.), postmaster of Everson, and Norman Thompson, also of that place. The late Robert Thompson, who died in 1915, developed a good farm on the place on which he settled in 1891 and was there engaged in farming for years. Upon his retirement he was employed as mail carrier on rural mail route No. 11 out of Everson and was thus engaged for ten years, being one of the best known men in that section of the county, as is related elsewhere in this work.
Reared on the home farm, John S. Thompson supplemented the education he received in the Everson school by three years in high school. He then was employed as a mail carrier, carrying the mail on rural mail route No. 2 out of Everson, and was thus occupied for ten years. In February, 1920, he bought from his maternal uncle, John Simpson, a tract of one hundred and twenty acres of improved land adjoining the corporate limits of the town of Everson and has since been successfully engaged in farming there. His place is well improved, equipped in up-to-date fashion, and his operations are carried on in accordance with approved modern methods. He has a dairy herd of twenty-five Holsteins with a registered herd leader.
On April 4, 1917, Mr. Thompson was united in marriage to Miss Beatta Vinger, and they have three sons: Robert Gail, born June 16, 1918; John Stanley, born July 9, 1923; and Douglas Vinger, born October 31, 1924. Mrs. Thompson was born in Wisconsin and is a daughter of Gus and Ingeborg (Bollrud) Vinger, both of whom also were born in that state and both long since deceased, the latter having died in 1892 and the former in 1910. The Vingers and the Bollruds were among the early settlers of the Scandinavian stock in Wisconsin, both families having been represented there since the '50s of the past century. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have a pleasant home overlooking the village, and both take an earnest and helpful interest in the general social activities of the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 910-911
Thorne, George W.
Success in life depends largely upon the selection of a congenial field of labor, and that George W. Thorne has chose wisely and well is demonstrated by what he has accomplished. He is widely known as a diamond expert and conducts Bellingham's leading jewelry store. He was born in 1879 at Binghamton, New York, and his parents, Charles and Sarah (Kiddell) Thorne, were natives of England. They settled in New York state in 1871, soon after the close of the Franco-Prussian war. The father operated a tannery and was one of the first to use chemicals in that industry. He was survived by the mother, who died in November, 1925, at the age of seventy-seven.
George W. Thorne attended the public schools of the Empire state and also completed a course in a business college. In his youth he learned the watchmaker's trade and also mastered the jeweler's art. The study of precious stones and particularly of diamonds has constituted his life work, and his exhaustive knowledge of this interesting subject has placed him with the leading gem experts of the country. In 1908 he became connected with the Hanson jewelry store in Seattle and was later manager of the Hardy establishment, filling that position for two years. In 1923 Mr. Thorne came to Bellingham and on July 7 of that year became the proprietor of the Gibbs jewelry store, which he has since conducted. He specializes in watches and in diamonds, and his collection of these gems is the largest and finest in the city. His judgment in regard to these lines of business is considered infallible and he caters to a large and discriminating patronage, drawing his trade from a wide area.
In 1914 Mr. Thorne married Miss Florence Barash, of Seattle, and they have two children: Janet and Charles Morris, aged respectively seven and four years. Mrs. Thorne is a daughter of Morris and Fannie Barash, who migrated from Colorado to Washington, settling in Seattle in 1902. Her father conducted a mercantile establishment and is now living retired. Mr. and Mrs. Thorne are affiliated with the Episcopal church and he is an adherent of the republican party but has never aspired to public office. He is a Mason and an Elk and also belongs to the Rotary Club and the Chamber of Commerce. A man of keen intelligence, strong character and progressive spirit, he has stamped the impress of his individuality indelibly upon his work, and Bellingham is honored by his citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 499-500
Thornton, A. W.; M.D.
The name of Dr. A. W. Thornton is inscribed on Whatcom county's roll of fame, for his was an extraordinary service to the people of this district and the entire state. A man of advanced scientific attainments, endowed with superior mentality, he was destined to lead in everything he undertook and won renown because of his achievements in the field of agriculture, also gaining distinction in the medical profession. While other men were planning he was executing, and his very personality was an inspiration to progress.
A native of Ireland, Dr. Thornton was born April 6, 1833, and at the age of eighteen was graduated from Trinity College of Dublin. He had the benefit of instruction under the great oculist, Sir William Wilde, father of Oscar Wilde, the noted writer, and after completing his medical studies acted as surgeon on one of the Cunard steamers plying between Liverpool, England, and New York city. Subsequently Dr. Thornton built and operated a hospital in Muswellbrook, Australia, spending several years in that country. He next came to the United States, settling in California in 1867, and was one of the pioneer physicians of that state. In 1882 he came to Whatcom, Washington, and opened a drug store, also homesteading a quarter section of land near Ferndale. He was successful in his business venture and also established a large practice. A surgeon of marked kill, he drew his patients from a wide area, and in the early days his work was most arduous, but he never failed to respond to the call of duty, having great sympathy for those in affliction and distress. Owing to deafness he was obliged to withdraw from the profession in later life and thereafter devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits.
Possessing an insatiable thirst for knowledge, Dr. Thornton delved deeply into the realms of science and utilized his discoveries for the benefit of mankind. With prophetic vision, he was the first to glimpse the great possibilities of the dairy industry, and he introduced many new grasses, which have since been produced in abundance in this region. He laid the foundation of this great industry, which has brought prosperity to hundreds of agriculturists throughout the county, also proving that flax could be grown to advantage in this region. An expert horticulturist, Dr. Thornton introduced the first orchards in this section of the country and helped give to the residents of California the eucalyptus tree, in cooperation with the University of California horticultural department. He devised a method of arresting the progress of the sheep scab which was destroying the flocks of the Golden state, and brought to Australia the pepper trees of California.
In 1855 Dr. Thornton was married, in Australia, to Miss Annette Callahan, of Dublin, Ireland, and they became the parents of eleven children. Mrs. Thornton passed away in 1907, and her husband's demise occurred in October, 1924, when he was in the ninety-second year of his age. He was a faithful member of the Church of England and a republican in his political convictions. His was a many-sided forceful personality, and men learned to rely upon him with the confidence reposed in those who possess great wisdom and that high purpose which is the handmaiden of wisdom in accomplishing results of lasting value. His heart was filled with human sympathy and he was universally beloved.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 553-554