Threlkeld, Clarence D.
Clarence D. Threlkeld, proprietor of the celebrated Sanitarium Baths, 1208 Dock street, Bellingham, reputed to be the best equipped sanitarium baths in the northwest using the Battle Creek (Mich.) system of hydrotherapy, lightherapy, electrotherapy and massage, is a native son of the old Hawkeye state but has been a resident of Bellingham for almost twenty years and is thus thoroughly familiar with conditions here and with the history and the traditions of Whatcom county and this section of the state. Mr. Threlkeld was born at Liberty Center, Iowa, in 1886, and is a son of T. G. and Eliza (Spencer) Threlkeld. The father, a barber by trade, came to Bellingham in 1923 and is now living here.
Reared in Iowa, C. D. Threlkeld was given a high school and business college education and then turned his attention to the study of hydrotherapy and kindred curative methods under competent direction and became a registered nurse. Numbered among his classmates in this study was Miss Carrie B. Ruckman, who also became skilled in hydrotherapy and the like and became a registered nurse. In 1906 Mr. Threlkeld and Miss Ruckman were married and in 1907, the year in which Mr. Threlkeld attained his majority, they came to Bellingham and bought the sanitarium baths that in 1903 had been established there by Dr. Shryock and have since been in charge of the same, Mr. Threlkeld in proprietary charge and Mrs. Threlkeld in charge of the women's department of the institution.
This institution is located in the south wing of the Leopold hotel and all treatments given are under prescription of licensed therapeutists, the sanitarium recognizing a debt of obligation to the medical profession, whose kindly acts of courtesy have helped to place the natural therapeutic measures of the institution before the public. The proprietors of the institution are Seventh Day Adventists and their place of business is closed from 4 o'clock Friday afternoons to sunset Saturdays, but is open on Sundays. The old Shryock sanitarium was located at 1016 Elk street and Mr. and Mrs. Threlkeld remained there until April, 1913, when upon the completion of the Leopold hotel they occupied their present commodious and well equipped quarters, where they have all the up-to-date appliances for the practice of their curative arts. In addition to their business in town they have a fine chicken ranch on the McLeod road out of Bellingham, where they make their home, having there a pleasant residence equipped with all city conveniences. They have three children, two daughters, the Misses Isabel and Geraldine Threlkeld, and a son, Russell Threlkeld.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 414
The names of men who have distinguished themselves in their day and generation for the possession of those qualities of character which mainly contribute to the success of private life and to public stability - men who have been exemplary in their personal and social relations and enjoyed the respect and confidence of those about them - ought not to be allowed to perish, for all are benefitted by the delineation of those traits of character which find scope and exercise in the common walks of life. In this class stands Charles Tillotson, one of the successful farmers and public-spirited citizens of the Nooksack valley, who was born in Wisconsin on the 27th of August, 1863, and is a son of Andrew and Jane (Fry) Tillotson, the former of whom was born at Waterville, Vermont, and the latter in Massachusetts. Both are now deceased, the mother having died in Wisconsin in 1871 and the father in Washington in 1900. Andrew Tillotson came to Washington in 1889 and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in Nooksack township, on the South Pass road. Later he sold his homestead right and entered another homestead but died just before proving up on the latter. To him and his wife were born five children: Rachel, Eveline, Asa, Minnie and Charles, all of whom are deceased excepting the subject of this sketch.
Charles Tillotson was educated in the public schools in Sauk county, Wisconsin, and then remained at home until 1885, when he went to Montana. After a while he returned to Wisconsin, where he lived until 1889, in the spring of which year he came to the Nooksack valley and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on the South Pass road, three miles south of Sumas. He cleared part of this land of the stumps and brush which covered it and lived there until March, 1914, when he sold the tract and bought thirty-two acres on the old Telegraph road in section 15. At that time only two and a half acres were cleared, but the tract is now practically all cleared and in cultivation, and he raises bountiful crops of hay, grain, beets and potatoes, as well as large quantities of berries. He has a comfortable and attractive home, has rebuilt the barn and has a new granary and cellar. He keeps six good grade cows and one pure-bred Ayrshire. He has been very successful in the operation of this place, his business record being characterized by the exercise of sound judgment and discretion, and among his fellow farmers he is held in high regard.
Mr. Tillotson has been twice married, first, on December 19, 1886, to Miss Ellen Baron, who was born and reared in Wisconsin and whose death occurred in October, 1893. To this union was born a daughter, Mrs. Jane Ashley. On May 31, 1894, Mr. Tillotson was married to Miss Sarah Bargewell, a native of England and a daughter of Benjamin & Eliza (Howes) Bargewell, both of whom also were natives of that country. They came to the United States in 1886 and in that same year came to Whatcom county, taking up a homestead in section 18, township 40, range 5 east, and there they spent the remainder of their lives, the mother dying June 9, 1891, and the father July 7, 1914. They were the parents of six children: Edward, Sarah, Ezra, Ellen, Arthur and Herbert, the last named being born after the family came to this state. To Mr. and Mrs. Tillotson have been born eight children, namely: Mrs. Rose Farmer, who lives in British Columbia, and who is the mother of a son, Anthony Eugene, born January 22, 1921; Mrs. Easter Harris, who has a daughter, Winifred, born October 1, 1922; Sydney, born August 3, 1903, who was married to Miss Jessie Thallheimer, July 6, 1925; Mrs. Blanche McDicken and Ralph, twins, born April 14, 1906; Elmer, born August 30, 1908; Inez, born October 25, 1910; and Donald, born November 25, 1912. The beginning of Mr. Tillotson's career was characterized by much hard work, and he owes his rise to no train of fortunate circumstances but solely to his own indomitable energy and persistent efforts along well defined lines. He has achieved a splendid record and no man in this locality stands higher than he in the confidence of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 266-267
Timerman, Charles F.
Among Whatcom county's pioneers is Charles F. Timerman, of Ferndale township, who came to this favored region over forty years ago and has lived here continuously since. He early had the sagacity to discern what the future had in store for this great section of the commonwealth, and, acting in accordance with the dictates of faith and judgment, he has reaped the generous benefits which are the natural rewards of indomitable industry, sterling integrity and sound judgment. Mr. Timerman was born in Amador county, California, June 22, 1861, and is a son of Joseph and Mary (Miles) Timerman, the latter a native of Ireland. The father, who was born and reared in Ohio, was a blacksmith by trade and in the early '50s went to California, opening a blacksmith shop in Dry Town, Amador county. In 1870 he went to Virginia City, Nevada, and engaged in the same line of business, carrying it on until his death, which occurred about 1888. He lost his wife August 9, 1882. They were the parents of five children, Mrs. Kate Thomas; Charles F.; Joseph; Lena, deceased; and James, who lives in Alaska.
Charles F. Timerman was educated in the public schools of California, remaining at home with his parents until he had attained his majority, when in 1882, he came to Whatcom county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in Ferndale township. The land was densely covered with timber and brush and he at once applied himself to the laborious task of clearing and getting it under cultivation. During this period, he also devoted a portion of his time to making cedar shingles, which he sold and thus made enough money to keep him going until he should have returns from his land. In 1882 he built a log cabin, which the family occupied until 1886, when he built a substantial and comfortable home, and there they lived until June 7, 1925, when the house was destroyed by fire. He is now building a much nicer home, modern in every respect, a valuable addition to the ranch. Mr. Timerman now has forty-five acres cleared and under the plow and sixty acres in pasture. He keeps sixteen high-grade Jersey cows, some of which are pure-bred, and also has a fine bull. He raises hay, grain and potatoes and maintains the farm in first-class condition, its general appearance indicating the owner to be a man of excellent taste and sound judgment. Mr. Timerman is a member of the Ferndale Grange and the Whatcom County Farm Bureau. He has rendered effective and appreciated service for twenty years as a member of the school board. He is also interested in good roads, as well as education, believing these two phases of public service to be the most important to the welfare of a community.
On the 22d day of December, 1886, Mr. Timerman was married to Miss Emily Brys, who was born in Normandy, France, a daughter of Philemena (Busccart) Brys, both natives of Belgium. Mr. Brys came to the United States in 1871 and settled in Michigan, where he remained until 1874, when he went to Nevada, where he was employed in the gold mines of Virginia City, being there at the time of the great fire of 1874. He remained in that city until 1882, when he came to Whatcom county, and took up a homestead three miles north of Ferndale. His land was covered with brush and timber, but he cleared a goodly part of it and lived there until 1902, when he retired and now makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Timerman, at the age of eighty-eight years. His wife died in November, 1900. They were the parents of six children, Frank, Emily, Charles and John and two who died in infancy in Belgium. The three eldest were born in France. Mr. and Mrs. Timerman are parents of three children. Elvira, who was graduated from the high school in Spokane, Washington, in 1908, and later graduated as a trained nurse in Denver, Colorado, is now at home; Rowena, graduated from the high school at Ferndale and from the State Normal School at Bellingham in 1916, is teaching school; and Charles Joseph is at home. Mr. and Mrs. Timerman are among the highly respected and greatly beloved "old timers" of Whatcom county. They have been witnesses of and active participants in the wonderful development which has characterized this section of the state during the period of their residence here, and have worthily done their part in the labor and effort incident to this great transformation. They never quailed before hardships, and never swerved aside from tasks, no matter how arduous, if they believed it their duty to perform them, so that it is no wonder that they succeeded, for such men and women are the builders of empires and the sunshine of fortune delights to shine on them. They are friendly and hospitable, kindly and generous in all their relations with their fellow citizens, and are held in the highest esteem throughout the locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 548-549
George Todd, a member of one of the old and highly respected families of Lawrence township, is continuing the work begun by his father and ranks with the most progressive agriculturists of the district. He was born in Iowa, December 24, 1884, and his parents, John and Ellen (Robinson) Todd, were natives of England. They went to Iowa about 1883 and later journeyed to Nebraska. They came to Whatcom county in 1889, and the father rented a tract of land. In 1900 he purchased a ranch of one hundred acres in Lawrence township, casting in his lot with its pioneer settlers, and diligently applied himself to the long and arduous task of clearing his land. Eventually he brought it under cultivation and gradually improved the place, on which he resided for many years. After his retirement he moved to Everson, where he passed away in 1918, and his widow is still a resident of the town.
George Todd was a child of five when his parents came to northwestern Washington, and his education was acquired in the public schools of Whatcom county. He assisted his father in the work of plowing, planting and harvesting, thus gaining a practical knowledge of agricultural pursuits, and now owns and operates the home ranch. The soil is rich and productive and the place is supplied with good buildings for the shelter of grain and stock. Mr. Todd has a fine herd of Holstein cattle and conducts a modern, well equipped dairy, taking a keen interest in everything pertaining to this industry. He has profited by his father's sage counsel and years of experience, and gratifying results have attended his systematic labors.
On August 8, 1910, Mr. Todd was united in marriage to Miss Ruth Burton, a native of Nebraska, and they have five children: Hazel, Arthur, Ellen, Dorothy and Georgena. Without party bias, Mr. Todd considers the qualifications of the respective candidates and casts his ballot for the man whom he regards as best qualified for office. He stands for all that is progressive in citizenship, and his stability, enterprise and integrity are well known to the residents of this district, with whom the greater part of his life has been spent.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 521
Torney, Samuel J.; M.D.
Dr. Samuel J. Torney, a distinguished member of Bellingham's medical fraternity, has practiced in this city for more than twenty years, and his daily life records the esteem in which he is held. A native of Canada, he was born in Quebec in 1867 and was but three years old when his parents, Thoms and Margaret (MacDowell) Torney, crossed the border into the United States. They were among the early settlers of Iowa and for many years the father followed the occupation of farming in that state.
The public school of Iowa afforded Dr. Torney his early educational advantages, and he afterward attended a seminary at Decorah and a normal school at Cedar Falls. He was next a student in the medical department of the University of Iowa, and in 1896 he won his M. D. degree from the University of Illinois. Returning to Iowa, he located at Stacyville, where he was engaged in general practice for four years. He then went abroad, taking postgraduate work in the medical centers of England, France and Germany, and in 1905 he opened an office in Bellingham. He has since specialized in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, and his broad scientific knowledge and marked skill have brought him an extensive practice.
In 1910 Dr. Torney was united in marriage to Miss Edith Neill, of Illinois. He is a thirty-second degree Mason and Shriner and is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and with the Kiwanis Club. In his political views he is a republican. He owns a valuable ranch and is very much interested in agricultural pursuits. Throughout his life Dr. Torney has been a student, ever striving to widen his field of usefulness, and his labors have been crowned with successful achievement.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 99-100
Town, G. S.
It is always pleasant and profitable to contemplate the career of a man who has made a distinctive success of life and won the honor and respect of his fellow citizens. Such is the record of the well-known farmer whose name appears at the head of this sketch, than whom a more whole-souled or popular man it would be difficult to find within the limits of the township where he has his home. G. S. Town was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota, on the 25th of March, 1858, and is a son of Salem and Eliza (Reid) Town. The father, a native of New York state, died in 1898, and the mother, who was born in Ireland, died in Texas about 1890. Salem Town moved to Iowa in 1866 and bought eighty acres of land in Harrison county, to the cultivation of which he devoted the remaining active years of his life.
G. S. Town received his educational training in the public schools of Iowa and remained on the home farm until seventeen years of age. From that time he was variously employed until 1882, when he went to Walla Walla, Washington, where he remained four years. He then returned to Iowa, remaining there until 1889, when he again came to Washington and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Clallam county, which he proved up and sold six years later. After his marriage, in 1898, he went to Seattle, where he lived about a year, followed by four months in Roche Harbor, Washington. In 1899 he bought a livery stable in Deming, Whatcom county, to the operation of which he devoted himself for about eighteen months. In 1901 Mr. Town bought forty acres of land in Ferndale township, to which he later added forty acres more, and from that time to the present the cultivation of this ranch has occupied his entire attention. When he secured the land it was entirely covered with brush and stumps and a vast amount of labor was required to get it into shape for cultivation. He cleared off forty acres, which he devoted to general farming, raising all the crops common to this section of the state. He keeps also ten head to cattle and three horses. He has made many permanent and substantial improvements on the place, which now ranks among the choice farms of this locality, has exercised sound judgment and excellent taste in all his operations and is accounted one of the enterprising and progressive men of his community, his record since settling here having been such as to gain for him the admiration and respect of all who know him. He is deeply interested in everything pertaining to the welfare or advancement of the locality in which he lives and co-operates with his neighbors in all movements for the betterment of the community.
In 1898 Mr. Town was married to Mrs. Ruth Vail, who was born in England and who died February 11, 1922. At the time of her marriage to Mr. Town she was the mother of seven children by her former marriage, of whom four are now living: W. J., Gus R., Mrs. Maud Van Horn, who lives in California, and Leslie, who married Miss Grace Bartel and they have four children: George, born January 7, 1918; Jacob, born April 1, 1919; Anna Violet, born March 22, 1921, and Richard, born August 21, 1922. Mr. Town is a member of Ferndale Lodge, No. 395, Woodmen of the World. A man of genial and friendly disposition, he easily makes friends and is extremely popular among his associates.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 641-642
Trezise, Miss Mollie O.
Miss Mollie O. Trezise, widely known dealer in china and art goods at Bellingham and proprietor of an admirable appointed art studio in the Hotel Henry, in connection with which she also has a classroom for the teaching of ceramic decoration, has been a resident of Whatcom county for the past twenty years and has a wide and pleasant acquaintance throughout this section of the state as well as a general acquaintance in art circles throughout the coast country, for her name has become well established not only among art dealers but among lovers of art in this region. Miss Trezise was born in the city of Chicago, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Pryor) Trezise, the latter born in the mining town of Scales Mound, in Jo Daviess county, Illinois. Galena, the county seat of this county, is the town in which Jesse Grant, father of General Grant, had a saddlery shop and the Grants and the Pryors were fast friends. Miss Trezise's Aunt, Mary Jane Pryor, made a flag which became a unit in the regimental colors in Grant's army during the time of the Civil war. John Pryor, an uncle of Miss Trezise, was one of the employes in Jesse Grant's tannery and saddlery at Galena. The Pryors were among the pioneers of that section of Illinois and Miss Trezise's grandfather had a farm in the Galena neighborhood. Her father, a native of England, was a miner. For a time he made his home in Chicago and later settled in Winfield, Kansas, where he remained until 1905, in which year he came to Washington with his family and settled at Bellingham.
Due to the changes of family residence made during the period of her girlhood Miss Trezise's education was received in the schools of Chicago and of Winfield, Kansas. She early became interested in the study of art, with particular reference to decorative effects, and in Kansas received her initial training in water color and pastel work, later taking up china decoration. When the family moved to Bellingham she became employed in one of the stores here but presently went to Portland, where she took a further course in china painting, and then opened an art studio in her home, doing decorative work and teaching such pupils as sought her instructions. She also for some time conducted a class in china painting in Sedro Woolley in the neighboting county of Skagit. In 1905 Miss Trezise established herself in business in Bellingham and has since been proprietor of one of the most attractive art ships on the coast, with a charmingly appointed salesroom on the street floor of the Hotel Henry and a class room on the second floor of that popular hostelry. During the time she has been engaged in business here she has made occasional trips to study in the studios of New York and Chicago. She studied in N. Y. with Maud Mason, one of America's celebrated artists, and Dorothy Warren O'Hara, a nationally known artist. She also has well established trade connections in eastern cities, insuring the select quality of her art goods, oriental and domestic, as well as antiques and the choice articles now so popular for inside decorative effects, novelties, gifts and the like. Miss Trezise has been successful in business and is the proprietor of a modern apartment house on High street, which was erected under her direction and to the management of which she gives her personal attention. She is a member of the widely organized society of women, the P. E. O., is a republican and is a member of the Presbyterian church.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 317-318
Trezise, William J.
William J. Trezise, president and general manager of the Bellingham Candy Company and for more than twenty years one of the substantial manufacturers and business men of Bellingham, a manufacturer whose products are in popular demand all over the northwestern country and have thus been a no inconsiderable contributing factor in helping to broadcast the name and fame of Bellingham as a commercial and industrial center, is a native of the city of Chicago, was reared in Kansas but has been a resident of Bellingham since the days of his young manhood and thus very properly may be accounted one of the veteran business men of that city, for he was here in the days before Bellingham even had its present corporate name and has been a witness to and an active participant in the amazing development that has been brought about here during the past quarter of a century.
Mr. Trezise was born in 1877 and was but three years of age when in 1880 his parents, William and Elizabeth (Pryor) Trezise, moved with their family from Chicago to Kansas, locating on a farm in the vicinity of Winfield, where he was reared, his schooling being completed in a business college in the city of Winfield. In 1898, the year in which he attained his majority, his parents retired from the farm and came to Washington, establishing their home at Bellingham, where their remaining days were spent. Upon his arrival here William G. Trezise entered the employ of the Great Northern Railway Company and was thus engaged for three years, at the end of which time he transferred his connection to the Canadian Pacific and was thus employed for two years or until 1903 when, in association with C. M. Layman, he organized the Bellingham Candy company and has ever since been engaged in the manufacture and distribution of candy. He is president and general manager of the company which has become one of the leading concerns of its kind in the northwest, with a well established plant in Bellingham and a flourishing branch in Everett.
This candy factory got its start in a modest way in a building in the Ten Hundred block on Elk street and when its expanding business necessitated the equipment of larger quarters moved to 800 Elk street, where a proper plant was equipped for the manufacture of its products. In 1908 further increase of capacity was necessary and the plant was moved to 1315 Railroad avenue, and in 1915 to its present ample quarters at 1215-17-21 Railroad avenue, where it occupies a modern building, one hundred by one hundred and twenty-five feet ground dimensions, three stories and a full basement, with additional space in its warehouse - a building twenty-five by one hundred feet in ground dimension. In 1921 the Bellingham Candy Company established a distributing branch, with well equipped warehouses and salesrooms, in Everett. In addition t its candy manufacturing and jobbing business, this company also carries on a general jobbing business in soda water supplies. Its commercial activities cover a wide territory in the northwest trade area, its salesmen visiting the six northwestern states, selling as far east as Denver and as far south as Los Angeles, and it has five jobbing points in Montana. The widely famous "Swimming Hole Sucker," one of the most popular confections in the northwest, is a product of the Bellingham Candy Company's plant, which also turns out a number of equally popular candy bars and special confections of one kind and another. Mr. Trezise is a member of the United Commercial Travelers and is widely known in trade circles throughout the northwest. He is an active member of the local Rotary Club, is a republican and is affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
In 1901, in what then was Whatcom, Mr. Trezise was united in marriage to Miss Jessie Mills and they have two sons, William J., Jr., who was graduated from the high school and the University of Washington and is now associated with his father in business as city salesman for the Bellingham Candy Company, and Bernard L. Trezise, who was graduated from the high school and is the company's shipping clerk. Mrs. Trezise is a daughter of Peter Mills, a well known and substantial building contractor now living retired in Bellingham, who settled here about 1890 and in his day took an active and helpful part in community building.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 413-414
Trigg, George S.
The history of George S. Trigg is closely identified with the records of Ferndale township. His life has been one of untiring activity and has been crowned with a degree of success obtained only by those who devote themselves indefatigably to the work before them. He has long been recognized as one of Whatcom county's progressive farmers and holds an enviable place in public esteem. George Trigg was born in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, on the 2nd of December, 1865, and is the son of William and Mary Ann (Edwards) Trigg. His parents were both born and reared in Surrey, England, and came to Canada about 1847, settling at Oshawa, where he farmed on rented land until 1893, when he bought sixty acres near Whitby, Ontario, to which he devoted his attention until 1903. He then went to Humboldt county, California, where he lived, retired from active business, until his death, which occurred in 1906. His wife passed away in 1917. They were the parents of ten children, namely: Maria, deceased, who was a native of England; John and William, deceased; Sarah, who lives in Oregon; Robert, who resides on the old home place in Canada; George S., Lucy and Charlotte E., both in Oregon; Jane, a resident of California and Elizabeth, deceased.
George Trigg was educated in the public schools of Canada and in 1886 he went to Humboldt county, California, where he remained until January 1, 1889, when he came to Whatcom county. He bought forty acres of land in Ferndale township, one and a half miles northeast of Ferndale, and at once proceeded to clear off the dense growth of underbrush and the stumps which covered it. It is a fine piece of land and in its cultivation Mr. Trigg has exercised sound judgment and wise discrimination, so that the results he has obtained for his labor have been very satisfactory. He keeps ten good grade cows and one full-blooded Jersey, as well as a pure-bred bull. He carries on diversified farming, raising the crops common to this locality and is recognized as a wide-awake, up-to-date business man.
In 1895 Mr. Trigg was married to Miss Lucy May Robbins, daughter of Zachariah H. Robbins, a pioneer of Whatcom county. Mrs. Trigg had a son, Lester, who was born in Ferndale on September 2, 1896, and now lives in Tacoma. He is married and has a son, Ben E. For his second wife, Mr. Trigg chose Mrs. Barbara (Frehbauer) Dynda, who he wedded July 26, 1919, and they have a daughter, Lillian Ella, who was born April 7, 1920. Mrs. Trigg was formerly married to John Dynda and had two children, Helen and William.
Fraternally Mr. Trigg is a charter member of Columbia Lodge No. 141, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Ferndale; has been a member of the Knights of Pythias for thirty-nine years, and also belongs to the Ferndale Grange and to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association. He served for eight years as road overseer of Ferndale township and has long been vitally interested in the matter of good roads, which he considers one of the most important elements in the development of any community. He is also an earnest advocate of the best educational facilities for the proper training of the youth. His home, which is splendidly situated, is attractive and well arranged, one of the best features of the property being the beautiful flower garden, tended by Mrs. Trigg and in which she takes a justifiable pride. Whatever of success Mr. Trigg has attained has been entirely owing to his individual efforts, his energy and his natural ability, and because of these elements, as well as his genial personality, he has attained an enviable place in the confidence and good will of all who know him.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 565-566
Trunkey, Charles F.
Charles F. Trunkey, who for twelve years has rendered efficient service as a member of the common council of Bellingham is also well known in business circles as secretary treasurer of the wholesale oil firm of Trunkey & Sons, Incorporated, of that city. One of the best known men in Whatcom county, he has been a resident of Bellingham for nearly thirty years and is thus thoroughly conversant with conditions here. He was born in Trenton, Missouri, November 19, 1880, and is the first in order of birth of the five children of David F. and Mary E. (Tabler) Trunkey, both natives of Ohio, who became residents of Bellingham in 1898 and are still living here.
David F. Trunkey was born in Alliance, Ohio, a member of one of the old families of that section of the Buckeye state, and after his marriage was for some time engaged in business at Trenton, Missouri. He arrived in Bellingham with his family March 24, 1898, and established a fuel business here, opening a coal and wood yard at the corner of Elk and Franklin streets and creating there a good business. On January 15, 1904, he admitted his sons to a partnership and the business was incorporated as Trunkey & Sons and entered upon a period of expansion, the years being extended to take in several blocks on Elk street, with offices at 1715 that street. In 1912 this firm took on the local agency for the distribution in Whatcom county of the oil products of the Shell Company of California and in 1915 closed out the fuel department of the business and has since been giving its whole attention to its rapidly growing oil and gasoline business, now being recognized as the largest distributor of gasoline in the county. David F. Trunkey, a recognized veteran in commercial circles in Bellingham, is the president of the company; F. D. Trunkey, vice president, and Charles F. Trunkey, secretary and treasurer. The company operates four tank trucks and three package wagons and effectually covers the ground, distributors both to the trade and to individual consumers of oil and gasoline throughout the wide and excellent trade area centering in Bellingham.
Charles F. Trunkey was seventeen years of age when he came to Bellingham with his parents in the spring of 1898. From the beginning he took an active and helpful interest in the development of his father's business. With the enormous growth of the oil and gasoline trade, coincident with the constantly increasing use of the automobile and internal combustion engines generally, he saw its possibilities and since the company took over the agency for the sale of the Shell products in the territory he has done much to extend its patronage, bing one of the best known oil men in this part of the state.
In 1903, in Bellingham, Mr. Trunkey was united in marriage to Miss Mollie M. Short of that city and they have two children, a son, Herbert C. Trunkey, who is connected with the operations of Trunkey & Sons, and a daughter, Miss Gertrude E. Trunkey. The Trunkeys have a pleasant home and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the city's general social affairs. Mr. Trunkey is one of the active members of the Kiwanis Club, whose motto is "We Build," and is affiliated with the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in the affairs of which popular fraternal organization he has for years been warmly interested. Mr. Trunkey is an ardent republican and has long been looked upon as one of the leaders of that party in this county. In 1914 he was elected to represent his ward in the city council and he since has been serving in that important capacity, covering six terms in office, recognition of his fitness for office having been acknowledged by these several successive reelections. He studies closely the vital questions which come up for settlement, his aid and influence being always given on the side of progress and improvement. His worth as a man and citizen is widely acknowledged.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 744-747
Tucker, Albert W.
In every life of honor and usefulness there is no dearth of interesting situations and incidents; yet in summing up such a career as that of the subject of this sketch it is necessary to touch upon only the more salient facts, giving the keynote of his character. Albert W. Tucker has led an active and useful life and has gained an enviable reputation among his fellow citizens. He is a native of the state of Ohio, his birth occurring March 18, 1862, and is a son of Charles Douglas and Mary (Weston) Tucker, both of whom were born and reared at Alexandria, New York, the father's birth occurring December 15, 1815, and the mother's in 1817. The father was a farmer by vocation and also did a considerable business in contracting. To him and his wife were born nine children, namely: Edward, deceased; John, Mrs. Jennie Manigold; Albert W., subject of this sketch; Elizabeth, deceased; Lavinia, deceased; Hiram, who lives in Pennsylvania; Lena; and Clara, deceased.
Albert W. Tucker received his educational training in the public schools of Ohio and New York, and he remained with his father until 1881, when he went to Michigan and was employed in the logging camps for five years. He then returned to New York state, where he remained for three years, and then, in 1889, he came to Seattle, Washington, and for several years worked in the logging camps. In 1893 he took up a homestead in Maple Falls township, Whatcom county, and at once directed his attention to the clearing of the land, on which stood some fine timber. He built a cabin and sold the timber on the farm getting part of the land in shape for cultivation. In 1899 he bought one hundred and twenty acres of land near Kendale [Kendall], sixteen acres of which he cleared. In 1906 he sold it and, coming to Nooksack, bought thirteen acres of land one and a quarter miles north of Nooksack. This tract was partly cleared and he cleared the remainder, developing it into a splendid homestead, where he now lives and from which he is deriving a very satisfactory income, due to his careful management and sound judgment. His chief crops are hay, grain, peas and beans, and he keeps six good cows. He is up-to-date and progressive in his ideas and the general appearance of his farm indicates him to be a man of excellent taste and wise discrimination.
Mr. Tucker was married, December 6, 1903, to Miss Maggie Travelstead, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Jasper and Margaret Travelstead, both of whom are deceased, and who were the parents of nine children. To Mr. and Mrs. Tucker have been born three children, namely: Loren Kenneth, born August 21, 1905, who enlisted in the United States navy at the age of fifteen years, served one year, and is now living in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Golda Bernice, born March 9, 1910, who is a student in the high school at Spokane, Washington; and Byron Eugene, born December 29, 1920. Mr. Tucker is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, while fraternally he is a member of the Nooksack lodge, Woodmen of the World. He is what he is from natural endowment and self-culture, having attained his present standing solely through the impelling force of his own strong nature, possessing to a marked degree those powers which render a man efficient in the material affairs of life. He stands stanchly for everything that is calculated to advance the public welfare, and his splendid personal qualities are fully appreciated by his fellow citizens, who hold him in high esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 216-217
Descended from a long line of sterling ancestry and member of the oldest family on Lummi Island, of which his father was the first white settler, Marcus Tuttle is entitled to specific recognition in a work of this character. A life long residence here has but strengthened his hold on the hearts of the people with whom he has been associated and today no one here enjoys a larger circle of warm friends and acquaintances, who esteem him because of his sterling qualities of character. Mr. Tuttle was born on Lummi island on the 21st of May, 1882, and is a son of Christian and Clara (Shrewsbury) Tuttle, the latter of whom was a native of Crescent City, in northern California.
Christian Tuttle was born in Michigan in 1827, attended the public schools a few years, and then, while still a boy, ran away from home and going to New Bedford, Massachusetts, shipped for a voyage on a whaling vessel bound for Alaska. They made the long journey by way of Cape Horn, and on coming back to the home port, the young man returned to his home in Michigan. When the historic gold rush to California was at its height, he again made a sailing voyage around the Horn, stopping at San Francisco, and for a number of years devoted himself to prospecting for the yellow metal in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and British Columbia. He determined to go to Alaska in 1871 and on his way stopped in Whatcom county. Cruising around the Sound in a canoe, he was attracted by the appearance of Lummi island and decided to make permanent location here. He at once homesteaded one hundred and seventy acres of land and preempted one hundred and sixty acres, the latter tract comprising the present family home. He was the first permanent white settler on the island and lived here continuously up to the time of his death which occurred in 1902. When he came here the island was wild and primitive, there being no roads, stores or other marks of civilization, all communication with other parts of the island or mainland being by sailboat or canoe. He traded at Port Gamble and Utsalady, and during his early years here he worked out a great deal in order to earn money with which to support the family until such time as the land should become productive. He cleared between sixty and seventy acres and engaged in stock raising, his initial attempt being with sheep, to which later he added cattle. He was successful in this line of effort and created a fine farm and a comfortable home. He also planted a nice orchard and started a fine vegetable garden, both for family use only. He took a deep interest in the welfare of his community, contributing of his personal labor in the construction of early roads, and also served ably as a member of the school board. To him and his wife were born seven children, namely: Bertha M., who died when eighteen years of age; Marcus, the immediate subject of this sketch; Anna, who died when twenty-four years old; Christian, of Lummi island; Hiram, of Seattle, Washington; Moses, who is represented by a personal sketch on other pages of this work; and Clara, who died when but a few days old.
Marcus Tuttle received his education in the public schools of his home neighborhood, the first school here having been started on his sixth birthday. His school attendance here was limited to three months each summer, but he was able also to attend public school in Tacoma for ten or twelve months and later took a course in a business college in Seattle. He has done a good deal of work in the woods, and in 1921 he located on his present farm, to the cultivation of which he is closely devoting himself. He is doing a good deal of clearing and intends to devote the land to general farming and cattle raising. He is a wide-awake and energetic man, exercises sound judgment in all his operations and enjoys a high reputation throughout the community.
On June 12, 1916, Mr. Tuttle was married to Miss Phoebe Read, who was born in Oakland, California, a daughter of L. C. and Lizzie (Kneal) Read, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Ohio. To Mr. and Mrs. Tuttle has been born a daughter, Laura T. Mr. Tuttle has taken a public-spirited interest in everything relating to the welfare or prosperity of the island, having served for one year as assessor and for six years as constable of his district, serving his constituents faithfully and conscientiously. He is a man of sound ideas, excellent judgment and straightforward manner, so ordering his actions as to win the unbounded confidence and regard of all with whom he has come in contact, and it is regarded generally as one of the representative men of his locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 401-402
Specific mention is made of a number of the worthy citizens of Lummi island within the pages of this work - citizens who have figured in the growth and development of this favored locality and whose interests have been identified with its every phase of progress, each contributing in his sphere of action to the well being of the community in which he resides and to the advancement of its normal and legitimate growth. Among this number is he whose name appears above, peculiar interest being attached to his career from the fact that practically his entire life has been spent here. Moses Tuttle was born on Lummi island in 1890 and is a son of Christian and Clara (Shrewsberry) Tuttle, the former of whom was born in Michigan in 1827, and died in 1902, while the latter was born near Crescent City, in northern California, died in in 1901.
When only a boy, the father ran away from home and going to New Bedford, Maine, took passage on a whaling ship around Cape Horn to Alaska. On the completion of his round-trip voyage, he returned to his Michigan home, but soon afterward followed the rush of gold seekers to California, making this trip also by way of the Horn, and landing at San Francisco. He prospected for gold in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and British Columbia, and was on his way to Alaska, in 1871, when he stopped in Whatcom county. He had cruised around the Sound in a canoe and at length decided to make settlement on Lummi island, where he homesteaded one hundred and seventy acres of land, and also preempted one hundred and sixty acres, comprising the present family home of Marcus Tuttle. In the early days here he worked out in order to earn money for current expenses, while he was giving what time he could to the clearing of the land. He then started raising stock, principally sheep, and later cattle, and also planted fruit trees and established a good vegetable garden. He became actively interested in local public affairs, serving as a member of the school board. To him and his wife were born seven children, namely: Bertha M., who died at the age of eighteen years; Marcus, who is represented in a personal sketch on other pages of this work; Anna, who died when twenty-four years of age; Christian, who lives on Lummi island; Hiram, of Seattle; Moses, the immediate subject of this sketch; and Clara, who died a few days after birth.
Moses Tuttle received his education in the public schools of Lummi island and then turned his attention to logging, in which occupation he was engaged for a number of years, or up to the time of his marriage, since when he has given his attention to farming, in which he has met with very gratifying success. He has recently purchased sixty acres of land, where he is now living, about fourteen acres of which are cleared, and he is devoting his attention to clearing the remaining land. He is engaged in poultry and dairy farming, keeping a number of good grade milk cows and a registered Jersey sire. He also has a nice run of laying hens and is planning to specialize in Black Minorca hens. He is a thorough and practical man in his farm work, doing well whatever he undertakes, and his record thus far augurs well for the future, for he is a man of sound judgment and energetic habits and his record has gained for him the respect of his fellow agriculturists.
In December, 1914, Mr. Tuttle was married to Miss Hattie Corcoran, who was born in Kansas, a daughter of William T. and Elizabeth (Chappell) Corcoran. Her father was born in Illinois in 1861, a son of John and Marcia (Stapleton) Corcoran, while her mother was a native of England and a daughter of J. G. and Maria (Denton) Chappell, who brought their family to the United States when their daughters was about five years old. William T. Corcoran lived in Illinois, Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska until 1898, when he came to Whatcom county, locating on Lummi island a few months later. Here he bought a farm and has since been numbered among the prominent and successful residents of the island. He and his wife became the parents of eleven children, namely: Alfa, Lora, William A., Hattie, John D., Annie, Margaret, Dennis, Cliff, Helen and Catherine. To Mr. and Mrs. Tuttle have been born four children, namely: Floyd, Marion, Harriet and Echo. Mr. Tuttle is a man of fine public spirit, giving earnest support to all measures for the public benefit, and he has rendered appreciated service as a member of the school board. He is a man of kindly impulses, courteous and accommodating in his neighborhood relations, and his actions have been so ordered as to earn for him unstinted praise and respect.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 239-240
Tyler, Abraham L.
Abraham L. Tyler, the owner of a fine ranch in Lawrence township, is one of Whatcom county's most progressive agriculturists and brings to the cultivation of the soil the knowledge and ability which result from years of practical experience and constant study. He was born November 16, 1860, and is a native of Broome county, New York. He is a scion of one of the old families of the east and traces his ancestral record to the colonial epoch in American history. His parents, John and Sarah (Thompson) Tyler, were natives of New Jersey, and the father learned and followed the cooper's trade. They went to Kansas in 1872, settling in Nemaha county, and the father was one of the pioneer farmers of that region, while he also figured prominently in political affairs. He died while on a visit to the subject of this sketch and was buried in Kansas, in which state his wife's remains were also interred.
Abraham L. Tyler was twelve years of age when the family migrated to Kansas, and his education was completed in the public school of the Sunflower state. He aided his father in the operation of the ranch and remained at home until he attained his majority, when he went to Colorado. A year later he located in Butte, Montana, and in the fall of 1883 returned to Kansas. There he followed the occupation of farming for five years, and in 1887 he completed a course in a business college. He came to Washington in 1888 and for a few months canvassed for books in Seattle. In the spring of 1889 he arrived in Bellingham, then known as Whatcom, and for three months was connected with the insurance business. He was next employed in a brickyard and saw the industry develop rapidly after the Seattle fire in 1889. In 1890 he became bookkeeper in a sawmill and in 1891 accepted a position with a surveying party. He was thus occupied for a short time and then did office work and outside work for several years at Sedro Woolley. Meanwhile, in 1893, he attended the World's Fair in Chicago and also paid a visit to his old home in Kansas.
In 1894 Mr. Tyler returned to the Pacific coast, going first to San Francisco, California, and thence to Whatcom county. He was employed for a number of years in the coal mines near Bellingham and after they were closed he was placed in charge of the property, acting in that capacity until 1905. He then moved to Sedro Woolley, where he had previously acquired realty, and purchased land near the town, cultivating the farm for three years. He then sold the place and in 1911 bought his present ranch of thirty-five acres in Lawrence township. He has twenty-five acres under cultivation and the remainder of the tract is used for pasture. He is engaged in dairying and specializes in blooded Holstein cattle. He has always given deep thought to his work, each detail of which is carefully planned, and he was the first man in the county to raise alfalfa, of which he now has a field of thirteen acres. He planted his seed in 1912, sending to the Columbia river for the fertilizer, and his notable success in growing this forage plant has brought him widespread prominence. He cuts three crops each year and has a fine full pasture besides. In 1922 he produced one alfalfa stalk which was ten feet, eight inches high and measured five feet in diameter. It was placed on exhibition at the Whatcom County Fair and was undoubtedly the largest single stalk of alfalfa ever grown in the world.
In 1896 Mr. Tyler married Miss Eva Warner, a native of Edison, Washington, and a daughter of John Warner. Her father left his Michigan home in 1849 and joined that intrepid band of men who sought their fortune in the mines of California, making the long and perilous journey across the plains and over the mountains. Mr. Warner came to Washington in 1858, taking up a homestead near the present site of Edison, and there spent the remainder of his life. He was one of the earliest settlers in that district, and Warner prairie was named in his honor. To Mr. and Mrs. Tyler were born eight children: Harriet, who is the wife of Thorval Sorensen, of Mount Vernon, Washington; Eva, who married Oren Fry and is living at Snohomish, Washington; Charles, who married Susan Cassel and makes his home at Friday Harbor, this state; Geraldine, who follows the profession of teaching; Mazie and Elizabeth, at home; Arthur, who is attending high school; and Harold, a grammar school pupil.
Mr. Tyler is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and has no political affiliations, supporting the candidate whom he regards as best qualified for office. He is an earnest and untiring worker for the good of his locality and served for many years on the school board. He is a recognized leader of agricultural advancement in Whatcom county, and his life has been crowned with successful achievements.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 586-587
Prominent among the worthy representatives of the pioneer element in the county of Whatcom is Charles Tyrall, who has for many years been a forceful factor in the growth and prosperity of Delta township and as such has gained an enviable reputation throughout that locality. He is a native of Sweden and first saw the light of day December 2, 1860, and he is a son of John and Mary Johnson, both of whom were natives of that country, where they passed away, the father dying in 1869.
Mr. Tyrall attended the public schools of his home neighborhood and remained under the parental roof until 1882, when he emigrated to the United States, going at once to Nebraska, where he remained until 1890. In the spring of that year he came to Bellingham, Whatcom county, and in the following year bought eighteen acres of land in Delta township, to the clearing of which he applied himself. Mr. Tyrall states that in the early '90s times were so hard here and money so scarce that if he could have raised the price of a postage stamp he would have written to his friends in Nebraska to send him money with which he might return east, for he would have abandoned his land here and willingly gone. But fortunately for his future, he did not have the price of the stamp and so remained here to carve out his destiny. He built a small house in 1891, lived in it for a number of years and then, in 1905, built a large and more comfortable home. He built a barn in 1903. Although his life here was begun under such inauspicious circumstances, he gradually forged ahead financially and at length found himself on the road to prosperity. In 1922 he bought one hundred and twenty-eight acres of land cornering on his home place, and he is now engaged in clearing this tract and getting it under cultivation. He raises fine crops of hay and grain and keeps about four hundred laying hens and four good Guernsey cows, and he is now very comfortably situated, as the reward of his patience and persistency and in the development of his property, which is ranked among the good farms of the township. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association.
Mr. Tyrall was married in 1888, at Omaha, Nebraska, to Miss Mary Palmquist, who is a native of Sweden and a daughter of Jonas Johnson. They have a daughter, Mrs. Ruth Edith Strandberg, who lives in Bellingham and is the mother of three children, Gordon, Violet and Russell. Mr. Tyrall has been a persistent advocate of good roads and during his residence here has donated over one year's work to the building of roads in this county, thus giving a practical demonstration of his belief in the value to the community of good highways. In many other ways he has shown a public-spirited interest in the general welfare of the community. He is a good business man, exercising sound judgment in all his affairs, and fair dealing characterizes all his business transactions, while his courtesy and accommodation is evidenced in his relations with his neighbors. He has worked hard and earnestly for that which he possesses, and his present prosperity is but the legitimate fruitage of his well directed efforts.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 214-215
Mr. Tyrrell was born in the state of Nebraska in 1874 and is a son of Alfred and Ermina (Lloyd) Tyrrell. His father, who was a native of Kansas, is now living in Idaho, while his mother, who was born in Iowa, is deceased. Of the seven children born to these parents, three are now living: Luke, George and Mrs. Ella Pennington.
Luke Tyrrell was educated in the public schools of his state and of Sumas, Whatcom county. He came to Washington in the fall of 1892 with his maternal grandfather, Dr. William Lloyd, who opened an office in Sumas in that year, being the first male physician at that place. A woman doctor had practiced there a year or two previously. Our subject lived with his grandfather until the age of twenty-two and then, in 1896, entered upon the clearing of a tract of fifteen acres which he had purchased in 1803. It was located two and a half miles south of Sumas and was densely covered with timber and brush. He cleared off part of it and sold the land in 1903. That same year he bought seventeen acres of partly cleared land, one mile west of Sumas, to the cultivation of which he applied himself with vigor and success, so that in 1906 he was able to buy forty acres of good land adjoining. The tract is now practically all cleared and in a fine state of cultivation. He also owns twenty acres of woodland near by and a wheat ranch in eastern Washington. He owns a piece of fine property in Sumas, and for a period of eight years he operated a meat market in that town. His main farm crops are hay, grain and peas, and he keeps twelve good grade milk cows and two pure bred Jerseys, as well as a registered sire. The farm is well improved and is today one of the valuable homesteads of the Sumas valley.
On April 14, 1901, Mr. Tyrrell was married to Miss Minnie Marsh, who was born in South Dakota, a daughter of Sewell and Lucinda (Bailey) Marsh, the former of whom died March 5, 1916. Mr. and Mrs. Marsh were the parents of six children, four of whom are living, namely: Mrs. Myrtle Gillies, Minnie, Wayne and Mrs. Nellie Ryan. Mr. Marsh came to Sumas, Whatcom county, in 1891, acquiring a ranch near Sumas, to the cultivation of which he devoted himself until his death. To Mr. and Mrs. Tyrrell have been born six children as follows: Hubert, deceased; Ernest L, born May 16, 1905; Lettie, born May 26, 1907, who is a graduate of the Sumas high school; Lillie, born June 4, 1909; Martha, born August 28, 1913; and Ella, born March 15, 1923. Mr. Tyrrell is a member of Bellingham Lodge, Brotherhood of American Yeomen. He is very fond of hunting and likes nothing better than to take his trusty rifle and go after big game, in which effort he is usually successful. He has a very comfortable and attractive home, located on a paved highway, keeps his place is the best of shape and is looked upon by his fellow farmers as a man of good judgment and business ability.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 642-643