The United States can boast of no better or more law-abiding class of citizens than the great number of Scandinavians who have found homes within her borders. They have fitted well into our national life, have been loyal to our institutions and have risen to places of prominence in many lines of activity. Among the favorably known citizens of Ten Mile township, Whatcom county, is Herman Wahlstrand, a native of Sweden, who is now practically retired from active affairs and is spending the golden sunset years of his life on his well improved and attractive farm, where he is able to enjoy the fruits of his former years of toil.
Mr. Wahlstrand was born in 1858 and is a son of Frederick A. and Charlotte (Wass) Wahlstrand, both of whom were also natives of Sweden, where the father followed the trade of a carpenter. Our subject secured his education in his native land, and because of the loss of a finger he was relieved from customary military service. He began to learn the trade of a tailor at the age of twelve years, and he followed that line of work until 1881, when he immigrated to the United States. He located in Chicago and was there employed at his trade for about two and a half years. In 1883 he sent for his parents, and on coming to this country they located in Nebraska, where they remained about seven years and where the mother died, the father's death occurring later in Minnesota.
On leaving Chicago, Herman Wahlstrand located in Grand Island, Nebraska, where he was employed as a tailor for seven years, and in 1891 he came to Bellingham, where he went to work for Mr. Wickman, a tailor, with whom he remained for fifteen years, following which he was for a number of years in the employ of Mr. Strandberg. In 1910 Mr. Wahlstrand bought the fifteen acre tract of land on which he now lives in Ten Mile township, and he has here created a very comfortable and attractive farm. When he came here the land had been logged but was covered with stumps and brush. He now has about half of the tract cleared and has a good set of buildings, while the fertile soil produces sufficient feed for the cows and chickens which he keeps. He also has a good bearing orchard, which adds to the value and usefulness of the ranch.
In 1882 Mr. Wahlstrand was married to Miss Anna Strom, who was born in Sweden, a daughter of Andrew and Carrie (Wass) Strom, the former of whom was a farmer and was also engaged in railroad work. Both are now deceased, the mother having died when their daughter was about one year old and the father when she was nine years old. Mr. Wahlstrand and his wife were betrothed in their native land and she afterward came to this country to be married. They are the parents of two children: Anna, who is a graduate of the State Normal School at Bellingham, taught school for a number of years and then became the wife of C. G. Tegenfeldt, of Bellingham, and they have two children, Marie Elizabeth and Herman. Emma, who is a graduate of the State Normal School at Bellingham and the State Agricultural College at Pullman, is now teaching in the Meridian high school. Mr. Wahlstrand is a man of kindly manner, friendly and hospital in his social relations, and he has long enjoyed the respect and esteem of the entire community because of his upright life and splendid personal qualities.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 254-257
Wahlstrand, Gustaf R.
Among the natives of Sweden who have honored their adopted country by their upright lives and their enterprising and progressive spirit is Gustaf R. Wahlstrand, of Ten Mile township, who has not only been eminently successful in his individual affairs but has also proven himself a splendid citizen of the commonwealth, giving his support to all worthy measures for the advancement of the public welfare. He was born in 1872 and is a son of Frederick A. and Charlotte (Wass) Wahlstrand, both of whom also were natives of Sweden, where the father followed the occupation of a carpenter. In 1883 they came to the United States and located in Central City, Nebraska, where they remained about seven years. The mother died in that state and the father later moved to Minnesota, where he passed away.
Gustaf R. Wahlstrand attended the public schools of his native land and in 1883 accompanied his parents on their immigration to the United States. He remained in Central City, Nebraska, for seven years, working at the carpenter's trade and also farming to some extent, and in 1891 he came to Bellingham, Whatcom county, and made his home with his brother, Herman Wahlstrand, a personal sketch of whom appears on other pages of this work. He was engaged in logging at Lake Whatcom and other places in this section of the country and also made an eight months' trip to Alaska, going as far as Skagway, but he did not go through to the gold fields. On his return to Bellingham, he was variously employed for a time, and in 19901 he bought twenty-two acres of land in Ten Mile township, where he now lives. A small clearing had been made on the land and a house was partly constructed, but otherwise the tract was unimproved in any respect. He has cleared about fifteen acres and has erected a good house and other necessary farm buildings, doing most of the carpenter work himself. He is giving considerable attention to dairy farming, keeping a herd of good grade cows, and also raises fruit and vegetables, while he likewise has nice run of laying hens. He has a fine bearing orchard, the principal fruits of which are apples, cherries, pears and prunes. In former days Mr. Wahlstrand hauled his produce to Bellingham, which, in the absence of good roads, was a long and tiresome trip. Gradually conditions improved and roads were built, and during the last ten years Ten Mile township has come to the front as a desirable place in which to live. Mr. Wahlstrand has devoted himself closely to the operation of his farm and the success which has crowned his efforts has been well deserved.
In 1901 Mr. Wahlstrand was married to Miss Gertrude Barrows, who was born in Wisconsin, and her death occurred in 1909. She was a daughter of A. and Emma (Van Valkenberg) Barrows, both of whom also were natives of Wisconsin. She came to Washington with her parents in 1888 when she was but a child, her father homesteading a farm at Lake Whatcom. To Mr. and Mrs. Wahlstrand were born three children, namely: Millard, employed as a plumber in Bellingham; Alice, who keeps house for her father; and Edith, who lives at home but is employed in Bellingham. Mr. Wahlstrand is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and gives his support to all measures or enterprises affecting the prosperity and welfare of the farmers. He is a man of sterling qualities of character, straightforward and candid in all his dealings, and enjoys to a marked degree the confidence and esteem of the entire community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 318
Wallace, Charles W., Jr.
Charles W. Wallace, Jr., is a member of one of Bellingham's prominent families and a representative of the younger generation of business men whose enterprise and ability promise so much for the development of the city. He was born near Seattle, Washington, in 1897 and is a son of Charles S. and Carrie B. Wallace, both natives of Newcastle, Pennsylvania. They arrived at Seattle in 1896 and for a time the father was engaged in the steel business at Edmonds, Washington. He came to Bellingham about 1898 and turned his attention to the fishing industry, with which he was connected until 1914, when he founded the powder business now controlled by his son. He was recognized as one of the city's foremost business men and is now living retired at Phoenix, Arizona.
After his graduation from the Bellingham high school the junior Mr. Wallace became a student at the University of Washington, which he attended for two years. On completing his education he entered his father's business, which was incorporated in 1914 under the name of the Washington Powder Company, and since 1918 has been president of the firm. The other officers are C. B. Wallace, vice president; and R. E. Wallace, secretary and treasurer. They are jobbers and retailers in explosives and are distributors of the Du Pont products in Whatcom, Skagit and San Juan counties. They have two salesmen and the warehouse is situated on Deming road. Whatcom county uses over thirty carloads of powder per year and more that half of this amount is purchased from the Washington Powder Company, which is transacting a business of extensive proportions. The house has established enviable trade connection and the wisdom of the policy followed by its executive head is indicated by the rapid expansion of the business, which is maintained at a high standard of efficiency. Mr. Wallace closely adheres to the principles of honor and integrity upon which it was founded, and he has inherited his father's business acumen and administrative power.
In 1920 Mr. Wallace married Miss May C. Clark, of Ferndale, and to this union has been born a son, Charles S. Wallace (III), aged three years. Mr. Wallace is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and his political views are in accord with the tenets of the republican party. Alert, energetic and forceful, he typifies the progressive spirit of the west and possesses many admirable traits of character, as his fellow citizens attest.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 676
Walton, F. B.
Of honored pioneer stock, F. B. Walton is a true product of the west, endowed with the progressive spirit of the age, and his name is known throughout Washington in connection with the theater business. He is one of the influential citizens of Bellingham and has depended upon his own efforts for advancement, converting his opportunities into tangible assets. He was born January 6, 1881, in Albany, Oregon, and is a son of C. W. and Susie L. Walton, who traveled overland from Indiana to the Pacific coast, experiencing the dangers and hardships incident to life on the frontier. The father engaged in farming, also dealing in grain, and is now living retired in Bellingham, where he has made his home since 1914.
After the completion of his high school course F. B. Walton entered the dry goods business, with which he was connected for eleven years, and then became a vaudeville actor. He traveled for two years and with his brothers, Chester and Charles, presented a singing sketch which won popular favor. In 1912 he embarked in the motion picture business in Idaho and later operated the Majestic Theater in Spokane, Washington. He subsequently built and controlled a theater at Colfax, Washington, and in 1918 returned to Bellingham, purchasing the American Theater. This is now the property of Bellingham Theaters, Inc., which also owns the Grand, the Egyptian, the Rialto and the Dream. The corporation was formed August 10, 1922, and is controlled by the following officers: William C. Southern, president; F. B. Walton, vice president and general manager; W. S. Quimby, treasurer; and C. C. Keplinger, secretary. They have expended a large sum in remodeling the above mentioned houses, which are now provided with every accessory of the modern theater, and the highest quality of entertainment obtainable is furnished to patrons. Mr. Walton has thoroughly systematized the business under his expert management the company is making rapid strides.
On August 17, 1913, while engaged in business in Idaho, Mr. Walton was united in marriage to Miss Rose Armfield, a resident of Sandpoint. Mr. Walton is a director of the Washington Association of Motion Picture Theater Owners and along fraternal lines is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He belongs to the Rotary Club and is one of the energetic members of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce. He is allied with the republican party and heartily endorses every movement destined to prove of benefit to his city, in which he is highly esteemed.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 403
John Warren, an active representative of the lumber industry for a number of years, departed this life at Bellingham on the 27th of January, 1913, at the age of sixty-one. He was born in 1852, in Somersetshire, England, of which country his father and mother were also natives.
Mr. Warren was but two years of age when he was brought to America by his parents, who settled in Canada, where he remained until he had attained his majority. He then crossed the border into the United States and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in Huron county, Michigan, clearing and improving the property and devoting his attention to its cultivation for a period of twenty years. After disposing of this place he acquired another farm and carried on agricultural pursuits for ten years longer. Dissatisfied with farming conditions there, he then traveled across the country to the Pacific coast and after a two years' residence here was so strongly impressed with the superior advantages of this section that he returned to Michigan, sold his holdings in that state and brought his family to Whatcom county, Washington, where he spent the remainder of his life, being employed by various limber firms until he embarked in the logging business on his own account. He purchased an attractive home on I street in Bellingham, and he was widely recognized as one of the substantial and highly esteemed resident of the city.
On the 20th of December, 1876, Mr. Warren was united in marriage to Mary Nugent, a native of Canada and a daughter of Richard and Sarah Nugent, the former born in Ireland and the latter in Canada. At the age of three years Mary Nugent was taken to Michigan by her parents, and she was a resident of that state at the time of her marriage. She became the mother of eight children, as follows: One who is deceased; Tryphena, a teacher in the Whatcom high school of Bellingham; Mrs. Sarah M. Johnston, also of Bellingham; Dr. Edna Dean Ryan, a graduate of a dental college at Portland, Oregon, who was engaged in the practice of dentistry at Bellingham for six years and is now residing at Mount Vernon, Washington; Mrs. Eva B. Granger, who is the proprietress of Loganita Lodge on Lummi island and who is the mother of four children; Mrs. Elizabeth Burrough, who resides at Anchorage, Alaska, and who husband is in the service of the Alaska Steamship Company; Mary Ellen Stephens, who is employed as a stenographer and bookkeeper in the state department of licenses; and Thurza D. Warren, a teacher in the Roeder school. The younger children of the Warren family attended school at Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 79
Warsing, Charles E.
A celebrated moralist and biographer once remarked that "There has scarcely passed a life of which a judicious and faithful narrative would not have been useful." With the truth of this opinion in view, it is deemed especially desirable to present the leading facts in the commendable career of a man who by indomitable industry, patience and sterling integrity has won a leading place among the representative men of his community. The career of Charles E. Warsing presents a notable example of those qualities of head and heart which overcome obstacles and make them stepping stones to higher things. Mr. Warsing is a native of Washington county, Missouri, born on the 27th of October, 1864, and is a son of Samuel Warsing, who was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, November 8, 1826, and died February 10, 1907, in the eighty-first year of his age. He remained in his native state until 1850, when he moved to Washington county, Missouri, which was his home until 1888, when he moved to Oregon. Two years later he came to Fairhaven, Washington, and remained there until his death. Our subject's mother, who bore the maiden name of Delilah Prough, was born in Blair county, Pennsylvania, November 15, 1841, and died March 18, 1915, at the home of her son Charles. To Mr. and Mrs. Warsing were born five children, namely: Charles E., the subject of this sketch; U. S., who is connected with the latter in Business; F. M., who is United States marshal at Pandle, Alaska; Mrs. Mary E. Doyle, of Seattle; and Isabel, now Mrs. John Bullock, of Bellingham.
Charles E. Warsing received his education in the district schools of his native state, being compelled to walk between four and five miles in order to attend, and receiving about three months of schooling each year. He worked on his father's farm during his youth and later went to work in a flour mill in that locality. After coming to Oregon he was employed in a lumber yard, and then moved to Fairhaven, Washington, where he remained about fifteen years. In 1907 Mr. Warsing and his brother, U. S., bought one hundred and eighty acres of land in Rome township, about eighteen acres being cleared at that time. They continued to improve the tract until at the present time about seventy-five acres are cleared, and the place also contains a good house which they built. In 1918 they sold that farm and moved to Bellingham, where they lived until January, 1922, when they came to their present place in Lynden township and engaged in the chicken business under the partnership name of Warsing Brothers. The place was well improved, containing a good set of farm buildings, to which they have added as necessity has required, and in the line of work to which they are devoting themselves they are achieving pronounced success, being recognized as among the leading poultrymen of this section of the county. They keep about seventeen hundred laying hens of the White Leghorn breed, for the care of which they have adequate and well arranged henhouses. They thoroughly understand every detail of the business, and in the twelve months from October 1, 1924, to October 1, 1925, they marketed two hundred and six thousand eight hundred and seventy-two eggs.
Mr. Warsing was married, January 2, 1922, to Mrs. Mary Wilson, who was born in Illinois, a daughter of G. M. and Josephine (Benson) Adams, both of whom were natives of Niagara county, New York. Mr. Warsing has always taken a commendable interest in local public affairs and while a resident of Rome township held public office, having been a member of the first board of supervisors, in which position he served for several years, while he was also assessor there for two years. He is a thoroughly practical man in all that he undertakes. He likes the chicken business, in which he has met with such gratifying success, and has also be successful in the raining of early potatoes for market. He is a man of fine personality, sound business judgment and discrimination, and the popularity which he enjoys throughout the community has been well merited.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 461-462
An enumeration of the enterprising and representative German-born citizens of Whatcom county would be incomplete without specific mention of Gottlieb Waschke, of Ferndale township, for since casting his lot with us he has stamped the impress of his individuality upon the community, for while laboring for his own advancement he has not neglected his duties to the public in general, but has always supported such measures as make for the public welfare. He was born in Germany, March 10, 1854, and is a son of Michael and Marie (Nagorny) Waschke, both lifelong residents of the fatherland, having died and been buried on the same day in October, 1866.
Gottlieb Waschke was educated in the public schools of his native land, and after completing his studies he went to work on river dredges, following that line of work for several years. He then went to work in a sugar factory, where he remained until 1881, when he emigrated to the United States. He located first in Detroit, michigan, where he remained over a year, and then went to Minnesota. For three years he was employed in railroad car shops, after which he turned his attention to farming on one hundred and sixty acres of Minnesota land, which he had bought in 1886. He followed agricultural pursuits there for fourteen years and then, selling that place, came to Bellingham, Whatcom county. After looking over the country, he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in Ferndale township, which was covered with brush and stumps. He at once set himself to the task of clearing the land and getting it in shape for cultivation. Eighty acres were eventually cleared and he cultivated it for several years. He then sold part of the land, but retained enough for his purposes. He kept thirty-six milk cows, for which he raised hay and grain, as well as potatoes and a general line of vegetables for his own use. Later he sold another part of the farm and is now owner of fifty acres of fine land, which is rented and operated by his son. During the years of his residence here, Mr. Waschke has set an example for steady and persevering labor, under adverse conditions ofttimes, and for intelligent and well-directed efforts along a definite line. His sturdiness and integrity long ago won for him the sincere respect of his neighbors and fellow citizens and today no man in this section of the county holds a higher place in public confidence and esteem. Now, as the result of his former years of earnest and unremitting toil, he is able to spend the golden sunset years of his life in peace and plenty.
In 1882 Mr. Waschke was married to Miss Bertha Matzke, also a native of Germany, and a daughter of Gottlieb Matzke, a native of Germany, who came to the United States in 1905 and lived here until his death, which occurred in 1911. His wife passed away in 1918. to Mr. and Mrs. Waschke have been born the following children: John, Gustav, Ernie, Lizzie, Henry, Ida, Elzie, Bertha, Marie and William. There are also twenty-six grandchildren. Mr. and Mrs. Waschke are earnest and faithful member of the German Lutheran church in Bellingham, to which they give liberal support, as they do to all worthy benevolent and charitable objects. Genial, kindly and hospitable, their home has always been open to their neighbors and friends and they have enjoyed a well deserved popularity throughout the community in which they live.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 679-680
Gustav Waschke, farmer of Ferndale township, is an example of all that constitutes true manhood and good citizenship, and none stands higher than he in the confidence and esteem of the community. His career has been characterized by duty faithfully performed and by industry, thrift and wise-directed efforts he has gained well merited prosperity. A native of Minnesota, he was born on the 6th of September, 1884, and is a son of Gottlieb and Bertha (Matzke) Waschke, who were natives of Germany, where they were reared, educated and married. They came to the United States about 1880, settling in Minnesota, where they lived until 1899, when they came to Whatcom county and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land near Ferndale. They have been successful in their business affairs and still live on that place, though they have sold off all but fifty acres of their original ranch.
Gustav Waschke attended the public schools of his home neighborhood in Minnesota and completed his education in the schools of Whatcom county. He remained at home with his parents until his marriage, in 1909, when he bought forty acres of land on section 26, Ferndale township, practically all covered with brush and stumps. He applied himself with energy to the task of clearing the land, has prepared twenty acres for the plow, and has here devoted himself closely to its cultivation. It is particularly well adapted to the raising of potatoes, in which Mr. Waschke has been eminently successful, to such an extent that locally he is called the "Potato King." In 1924 from two and a half acres of potatoes he netted eight hundred and twenty-two dollars, due not only to the enormous yield, but also to the fact that he raises only the best varieties, which always command the top market price. Mr. Waschke keeps ten good grade Jersey cows, has a large flock of hens and carries on general farming. He has recently built a fine, new modern home, well arranged, with modern conveniences, and very attractive in appearance, and they are now very comfortably situated.
On June 18, 1909, Mr. Waschke was married to Miss Agnes Matzke, who was born in Germany and came to the United States with her parents in 1903. Her father died December 14, 1917, and her mother is still living. Mr. and Mrs. Waschke are the parents of two children, Theodore, born August 10, 1913, and Arnold December 18, 1916. In every relation of life Mr. Waschke has been true to himself, and therefore true to all with whom he has had dealings. He is known throughout the community as a competent and enterprising farmer and his fine personal qualities have won for him the respect and good will of all who know him. He takes a commendable interest in the welfare of the locality in which he lives and cooperates with his fellow citizens in the advancement of measures calculated to better the moral, civic or material welfare of the locality.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 640-641
John Waschke, one of the pioneer ranchers of Marietta Township, has lived in this part of Whatcom county for thirty-six years, and through his skill as an artisan, supplemented by his agricultural operations, he has aided materially in the development and improvement of Bellingham and the surrounding district. A native of Germany, he was born June 2, 1859, and received his education in the excellent schools of the fatherland. Filled with the adventurous spirit of youth, he came to the United States in his quest for fortune and for three years was engaged in cabinetmaking in Minnesota. He followed his trade at Stevens Point, Wisconsin, for two years, being employed in the car shops, and in 1890 came to Whatcom, Washington. He obtained a position with the Bellingham Bay Improvement company and remained with that corporation for ten years. He was an expert wood worker and built their first cars. He did much of the cabinet work in the Bellingham city hall, and examples of his fine craftsmanship are also to be found in the Lutheran church and many of the best residences of this locality. In 1901 he purchased a forty acre tract in Marietta township and has since resided on this property, which he has converted into a productive farm. His home is one of the best in this district and his dairy buildings are substantial, well equipped and immaculate. He raises the crops best adapted to the region, and he rents eight acres of his place. His work in carefully planned and systematically performed. His life has been one of unceasing industry, directed into constructive channels, and the respect accorded him is well deserved.
Mr. Waschke has become the father of three children: Edwin, deceased; Paul, who is married and resides in Bellingham; and Hilda, who is the wife of Bert Lamorx, of Seattle, Washington, and the mother of one child, a daughter. Mr. Waschke is an adherent of the republican party and shapes his conduct by the teachings of the Lutheran church.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 577
Waters, L. W.
Since his arrival in Whatcom county, over thirty-five years ago, L. W. Waters has been a witness of very important changes in this locality, his career here forming a link between the pioneer period and the latter-day progress and prosperity of the county. Therefore, a history of his locality would not be complete without due reference to the useful and successful life he has lived and the part he has played in the development of this region. Mr. Waters was born in Nebraska on the 20th of April, 1875, and is a son of J. N. and Sarah (Dew) Waters, the father a native of New York state and the mother of Illinois. J. N. Waters went to Nebraska about 1870 and there followed his trade, that of a blacksmith, and also engaged in farming, having bought a tract of good land. In 1889 he sold his interests in that locality and came to Nooksack, Whatcom county, buying seven acres of land within the city limits. The tract was covered with stumps and undergrowth, but he vigorously set to work and in the course of time created a fine place, building one of the finest houses in the community and also a commodious barn. He and his wife spent their remaining years on this comfortable homestead, the father dying in January, 1907, and the mother passing away in April, 1916. To them were born the following children: Mrs. Belle Roland; Mrs. Kate Foster, deceased; L. W. Waters; Mrs. Nellie Hicks, who lives in Vancouver, British Columbia; Jacob, who lives in Seattle, Washington; Fred, deceased, and Mrs. Josephine Hamilton, of Vancouver.
L. W. Waters attended the public schools near his home in Nebraska and completed his studies in the old log school house at Nooksack. He came to Whatcom county in 1891, two years after the arrival of his father, and after leaving school went to work in the logging camps, doing contract work, which business he followed until about 1901. Shortly before that he had purchased thirty acres adjoining the townsite of Nooksack, and he now applied himself to the task of removing the stumps, logs and brush which covered the tract. He accomplished this and built a small house on the place, later adding to it. In 1908 he built a fine barn, which is still doing good service. The land is practically all cleared and Mr. Waters raises excellent crops of hay, grain and peas, having likewise a vegetable garden. He keeps five good cows as well. Mr. Waters is now also the owner of his father's old home place, adjoining his own, and likewise operates that.
On June 16, 1901, Mr. Waters was married to Miss Pearl Schenck, who was born near Sacramento, California, a daughter of William and Lavina (Lear) Von Schenck, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Missouri. The father made the long overland trip during the great gold rush and followed mining in California for a number of years. In 1880 he came to King county, Washington, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of railroad land, which he farmed until 1898, when he sold it and came to Nooksack, Whatcom county. Here he bought twenty acres of raw land, which he cleared and developed into a good farm, and there he resided until his death, which occurred in 1915. His wife died in 1912. They were the parents of four children, namely: Mrs. Minnie Lancaster, who lives in King county, Washington; Mrs. Musetta Hayes, also of King county; Ida, who died in infancy, and Pearl, Mrs. Waters. Mr. and Mrs. Waters are the parents of two children: Mrs. Vivian Lavina Francisco, born April 1, 1902, who is the mother of a son, Richard Lee, born August 23, 1923, and Wilbur L., born September 9, 1907, who remains at home. Mr. Waters has long held a high place in his community because of the deep and intelligent interest he has ever manifested in all the relates to its welfare and prosperity. He is active in his support of the schools and of good roads and is progressive in the best sense of the term. He comes of good ancestral stock and in his life has exemplified the essential qualifications of good citizenship. One of his maternal uncles, Jacob Dew, served one term as governor of Nebraska.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 849-850
Watson, Henry R.
Henry R. Watson, one of the pioneer business men of Bellingham, has been engaged in the transfer business in that city since 1893, ten years before the town adopted its present corporate name, and he is one of the best known men in Whatcom county. Though an Englishman by birth, he has been a resident of this country since the days of his boyhood and regards himself as much an American as any. He was born in County Durham, England, July 7, 1865, a son of Robert and Marguerite Watson, Who were the parents of fourteen children. When he was six years of age he was left an orphan, and at the age of thirteen, in 1878, he came to the United States and rejoined an older brother who had become established in Indiana. He made his home with the latter for five years or until he was eighteen years of age when, in 1883, he went to Alabama and was for eighteen months employed in the mines in that state. From there he went into Indian Territory and later for a while made his home with another brother who had come to this country, after which he was located in New Mexico, coming from there to the coast.
Following a brief residence in San Francisco Mr. Watson went to Stockton and was there when news of the gold strike at Roslyn in Kittitas county, this state, was heard in 1888. He hastened to that point, being the seventh man on the ground, and there was engaged in mining operations for about two years, or until 1890, when he returned to the coast and established himself in the Bay settlements here. That was the year in which there were so many expressions of violent rivalry between the residents of the contending settlements, Sehome and Whatcom, a standing dispute which in the following year was settled by the consolidation of the two settlements under the name of New Whatcom, which name in 1903, by formal election of the people, was changed to Bellingham. When in a reminiscent mood, Mr. Watson has many a good story to tell of the bitter feeling which existed between the rival camps at the time of his arrival here.
Mr. Watson's first employment on coming to the Bay settlements was as a salesman for nursery and orchard stock. He then became engaged as a dealer in wood, a business which shortly was developed into a general teaming and transfer business. A storage house was subsequently added, and in 1893 he established a definite place of business along the tracks close to the Great Northern depot. There he conducted his general transfer and storage business for seventeen years, at the end of which time he moved to his present location at No. 520 West Holly street, and he has there been successfully carrying on his business, it being one of the oldest continuing lines under individual management in the city. Mr. Watson is a republican and has ever given a good citizen's attention to local civic affairs but has not been a seeker after public office.
In 1891, the year after his arrival here, Mr. Watson was united in marriage to Miss Mary Dawson, who had come here with her parents, Thomas and Hannah Dawson, from Iowa in 1889, the Dawsons thus becoming numbered among the pioneers of Whatcom county. Of the eight children born to Mr. and Mrs. Watson two died in infancy, the others being as follows: Grace, deceased; Arthur, who is now a resident of Seattle; Mary Inez, the wife of W. J. Bell of Ketchikan, Alaska; Clara, who married Dewey A. Johnson and in now living in Aberdeen; Henry E. Watson, of Bellingham; and Robert, deceased.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 414-417
Watson, O. H.
For more than a quarter of a century O. H. Watson has been numbered among the leading agriculturists of Deming township, and although he has reached the venerable age of seventy-seven years he is still an active factor in the world's work, for indolence and idleness are utterly foreign to his nature. A native of Vermont, he was born in 1849 and was but a year old when his parents, Charles and Martha (Prindle) Watson, migrated to Wisconsin. Early in the '60s they again established their home in the Green Mountain state and later again journeyed to Wisconsin. Subsequently they went to Pennsylvania but eventually returned to Vermont, where they both passed away.
O. H. Watson received a public school education and his boyhood was spent on a farm. On starting out in life for himself he became a steam engineer and was employed in mills and on railroads. He arrived in Seattle, Washington, early in the '90s and in 1900 came to Deming. He purchased a tract of forty-six acres in the vicinity of the town and has since resided on the place, on which he has made many improvements. His standards of farming are high and everything about the ranch indicates that he follows progressive methods.
On May 1, 1871, Mr. Watson married Miss Aileen Imogene Landy, a native of Wisconsin, and five children were born to them. John, the eldest, is engaged in farming near the homestead and has a wife and three children. Eugene is also operating a ranch in this locality and has a wife and child. Ella is the wife of Frank Griffin, of Bellingham, and the mother of seven children. Fred is living in Deming and has a wife and two daughters. Ivy became the wife of R. L. Dale, of Deming, and they have one child, a daughter. Mr. Watson has fourteen grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, in whom he takes a deep interest, finding much pleasure in their society. He is an adherent of the republican party but has never entered the arena of public affairs, preferring to discharge the duties of citizenship in a private capacity. His life has been long, active and useful and his many good qualities have enabled him to win and retain the esteem of all with whom he has been associated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 655