Wickins, Arthur E.; M.D.
Dr. Arthur E. Wickins, a physician of broad experience and pronounced ability, is an exponent of the homeopathic school of medicine and is a valuable addition to Bellingham's citizenship. A native of Canada, he was born August 24, 1874, in Brantford, Ontario, and his father, Walter B. Wickins, was also a native of that province. He was a successful educator and for forty years a teacher of the blind, filling the position of head master. He married Miss Sadie Clark, who was born in Maine, and both have passed away.
After the completion of his public and high school courses. Dr. Wickens entered Toronto University, from which he received the B. A. degree in 1895, and three years later was graduated from the Hering Homeopathic College of Chicago. He was house surgeon of Grace Hospital, Toronto, during 1898-99 and in 1901 was graduated M. D. by Toronto University. He made thorough preparation for his chosen vocation, and in 1901 he began his professional career at Hamilton, Ontario, where he practiced for seventeen years with much success. He became a charter member of the Kiwanis Club of that city and was elected a member of the medical council of Ontario, rendering valuable service to the province as a member of its board of medical examiners. In 1918 Dr. Wickins, moved to Alberta, Canada, where he spent five years, and in May, 1924, he opened an office in Bellingham. He is well versed in the science of his profession and has already established a large practice.
The Doctor is a Royal Arch Mason and shapes his conduct by the beneficent teachings of the order. He is prominent in local musical circles, possessing a fine baritone voice and is a finished accompanist on the piano and pipe organ. Studious by nature, he is constantly broadening his scientific knowledge by wide reading and close observation of the cases intrusted to his care, and his merit compels esteem.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 781-782
Wiedman, Dueffort Elis
Dueffort Elis Wiedman, who has served as superintendent of the city schools at Bellingham since 1920, has been engaged in educational work from the age of nineteen years and has gained an enviable reputation in this field. His birth occurred at Panora, Iowa, on the 8th of May, 1883, his parents being John A. and Mary Magdalina Wiedman, natives of Alsace-Lorraine and Paris, France, respectively. They immigrated to the United States in 1848, locating first at Buffalo, New York, and thence removing to Iowa. The father, who was a shoemaker by trade, served in the Iowa State Guard during the period of the Civil war.
Dueffort E. Wiedman spent his boyhood in the town of his nativity. Following the completion of a high school course in Iowa he made his way westward to Colorado and for two years attended the Colorado State Teachers College at Greeley. Though he took up the profession of teaching at the end of that time, in 1902, he has continued his education training at intervals, spending two more years as a student in the Colorado State Teachers College, one year in the University of Colorado at Boulder and one year in Northwestern University of Evanston, Illinois. It was in 1902, as above stated, that he became an instructor in Morgan county, Colorado, where he served as grade school principal for four years. He next spent three years at Central City, Colorado, as science instructor and athletic coach in the high school. Subsequently he took charge of the county high school system at Montrose, Colorado. His service covered four high schools and seven grade and rural schools, and he remained there for nine years. During the period of the World war Mr. Wiedman joined the United States army as a volunteer and spent two years in psychiatric service. He came to Bellingham, Washington, in 1920 and has since served as superintendent of the city schools, making a most creditable and commendable record in that capacity. His career as an educator also covers seventeen summers' experience as an instructor in normal and teachers' college.
In 1904 Mr. Wiedman was married to Susan Kram, who is a native of Evan, Colorado, and whose parents were also born in this country. She was graduated from a commercial college and attended the Colorado State Normal School at Gunnison as well as Dick's Normal College at Denver in preparation for the profession of teaching, in which she was engaged at the time of her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Wiedman are the parents of a daughter and a son namely: Harriet, a university student; and Robert, who is attending high school. Mr. Wiedman is a stalwart democrat in politics and has membership in the Rotary Club. In religious faith he is a Methodist, while fraternally he is affiliated with the Masons, belonging to the blue lodge, the Royal Arch chapter, the Knights Templar commandery and the Eastern Star. He enjoys high standing in fraternal and social as well as educational circles in Whatcom county and has made many warm friends during his residence here.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 132-133
Among the citizens of Whatcom county who were born under a foreign flag but who have proven themselves loyal and worthy citizens of their adopted country, is Tim Wierstra, who because of his indomitable industry and excellent traits of character has won a high place in the esteem of the entire community in which he lives. Mr. Wierstra was born at Sneek, Holland, on the 26th of November, 1900, and is a son of W. and Matja (Bosma) Wierstra. His father was born in that country in 1855, a son of J. and Christina (Wit) Wierstra, both of whom were natives of and spent their entire lives in Holland. W. Wierstra, who was a farmer by vocation, spent five years in the national army of Holland, part of the time in active field service and the remainder of the time under call. In 1910 he brought his family to the United States, coming direct to Whatcom county and buying ten acres of land in Sumas. The tract was covered with stumps and brush, but he went to work with a will and in the course of time cleared all the land. In 1920 he bought his present place of forty acres, of which he has cleared a number of acres, and is here carrying on a prosperous dairy business. He keeps twelve cows, most of which are good grade Holsteins, and ships his milk to the Carnation milk plant at Everson. His fields are well cultivated and he raises sufficient grain and roughage for his stock. He is a man of sterling character and is well liked throughout the community.
Tim Wierstra attended the public schools of his native country and completed his education at Sumas, this county, to which place he came with his father in 1910. He has remained with the latter to the present time, having assisted him in the work of clearing the land and improving the home farm. However, he works out most of the time, and he has driven a truck for the Columbia Valley Lumber Company, of Everson. A man of steady and industrious habits, he has proven faithful in every position which he has held and has earned the confidence and respect of all with whom he has come in contact. He is the youngest of four children born to his parents, the others being: Christina, who remains in Holland, is married and has four children; Jouke, who lives in Montana, is married and has four children; and Mrs. Johanna Westhof, of Clearbrook, this county, who is the mother of two children.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 354
Among the enterprising and progressive citizens of Whatcom county whose personal efforts have contributed in a very definite measure to the development and building up of that locality, the subject of this sketch is eminently entitled to distinctive mention. He was for many years one of the most active and industrious farmers of his locality and his splendid accomplishments but represented the result of his earnest and unremitting labor along well directed lines. Now, in the golden sunset years of his life, he is enjoying that rest to which he is so richly entitled. David Wight was born on Prince Edward island, Canada, on the 18th of February, 1847, and is a son of Archibald and Sarah (Bishop) Wight, the latter of whom was a native of Nova Scotia. The father was born and reared in England, whence he emigrated to Prince Edward island in an early day, and there engaged in farming, which vocation he followed until his death. To him and his wife were born eleven children, of which number three are now living.
David Wight received his educational training in the public schools of his home neighborhood and then went to work as a clerk in a store at Murray Harbor, where he remained for five years. He then went to sea and sailed for three years in the Atlantic coastwise merchant service and made frequent trips to the West Indies. He next went to Kennebec, Maine, where he was employed in the granite works, where he remained until 1875, when he went to British Columbia and, where the city of Vancouver now stands, was employed in the timber for two years. From there he went to Olympia, Washington, where he worked in a logging camp for one year, followed by three years in government coast survey work. In 1880 he was married and in the fall of that year he and his wife came to Nooksack, Whatcom county, and located on one hundred and sixty acres of land which had been homesteaded by Mr. Wright's uncle, William J. Bishop, a bachelor, who had filed his right in 1872, it being one of the first claims filed in that township. No attempt had been made to clear the land, which was covered with timber and brush, but Mr. Wight at once went to work on the tremendous task of getting the land cleared and in cultivation. For four years they lived in a small log house, which in 1884 was replaced by a comfortable and well built home, which is still occupied. Mr. Wight with the later help of his sons as they grew older, cleared the entire tract of one hundred and sixty acres and created one of the finest and best improved farms in the Nooksack valley, to the operation of which he devoted himself closely until 1917, when he retired from active affairs and moved into a comfortable home which he had bought in Everson, where he is now living, the ranch being operated by two of his sons who have rented the place. It is a far cry from the wilderness of 1880 to the present advanced conditions here, and to Mr. Wight as much as to anyone else belongs credit for the wonderful transformation which has taken place. It is recalled that on their journey to this farm Mrs. Wight walked from Bellingham, and the roads were so bad that the team frequently became mired. Mrs. Wight grew impatient over the delays and started walking ahead, arriving at the Nooksack crossing hours ahead of the team and the rest of the party.
In 1880 Mr. Wight was married, in Olympia, Washington, to Miss Carrie Larson, who was born in Norway, a daughter of Lars and Ingebod Larson, both of whom also were natives of that country. Mrs. Wight came to the United States in 1875 and lived for four years in Wisconsin. In the fall of 1878 she came to Olympia, which was her home at the time of her marriage. To Mr. and Mrs. Larson have been born five children, two of whom are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Wight are the parents of four children, namely: Mrs. Sarah Ann Penne, who lives in Sherwood, Oregon, and is the mother of a daughter, Hazel Catherine; Edward G., who is married and is the father of two children, Mildred and Gilman; Archibald Larson, who is married and is the father of two sons, David A. and Hugh William; and Thomas H., who also is married and has two sons, Harold and Earl.
Mr. Wight has during all the years of his residence in this locality taken a deep interest in everything pertaining to the development and welfare of the community, to which he has contributed of his efforts in every possible way. He was active in the organization of Nooksack township and has served as township treasurer continuously from the time of its organization to the present. He has always stood for law and order and in his own life has exemplified the highest type of citizenship. Genial and kindly in all of his social relations, generous in his attitude toward local benevolent causes, and public-spirited in his earnest support of all movements for the benefit of the community, he has long enjoyed an enviable standing in the confidence and esteem of everyone who knows him, being universally regarded as one of the representative men of his section of the county.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 314-315
Wight, M. O.
By a few general observations it is hoped to convey in the following lines some idea of the high standing of M. O. Wight, of Ten Mile township, one of the best known farmers of this community. Those who know him best will readily acquiesce in the statement that many elements of a solid and practical nature are combined in his makeup, which during the years of his residence here have gained for him an enviable reputation among the people of his locality. Mr. Wight was born in Lyon county, Kansas, on the 30th of May, 1866, and is a son of William H. and Sarah M. (Ford) Wight, both of whom were natives of New York state and whose marriage occurred in Michigan. William H. Wight went to California in 1850, making the long overland trip with an ox team, but later returned east by way of the Isthmus of Panama. From Michigan Mr. and Mrs. Wight moved to Kansas. At that time Indian scares were numerous, but they were fortunate in escaping any personal experiences with the redskins.
M. O. Wight secured his education in the public schools of Kansas and was reared on his father's farm until he attained his majority, after which he operated the home place for about a year. In February, 1888, he came to Bellingham, Washington, remaining just long enough to stock up with provisions, and then started out to locate some desirable land. Eventually he preempted one hundred and sixty acres at Tuxedo, near Glen Echo, but did not prove up on this land, selling his preemption rights. He then, in partnership with a brother, W. R. Wight, bought a quarter section of land in Ten Mile township, embracing his present place, and to reach the tract they had to come out by way of Ten Mile, and then travel west and south. They were unable to use the Guide Meridian road, as it was utterly impassable for a team. The land had not been cut over and a vast amount of labor was entailed in getting it cleared and in shape for cultivation, it being necessary to burn the timber at first, as they could not get it out of the place. However, the Telegraph road was already improved and the main highway on the east, and they found a market in Bellingham for their logs and shingle bolts. Wild cats, bears, deer and grouse were numerous, and in many ways the country was as primitive as in the days prior to the coming of the white man. Eventually, as they got the land cleared, they engaged in general farming, their main crop being grain. They succeeded in clearing about fifteen acres and lived there until 1891, when our subject sold his interest to his brother and returned to Kansas. He remained in the Sunflower state about twelve years and then, in February, 1903, again came to Whatcom county and bought eight and a half acres of the old place, all of which was cleared, and he has so improved and equipped the tract as to make of it a very comfortable and attractive farm home. He has prospered in the operation of this place and has long enjoyed an excellent standing throughout the community because of his industry, sound judgment and excellent qualities of character.
On October 9, 1889, Mr. Wight was married to Miss Ella Adams, who was born in Iowa, a daughter of L. B. and Margaret L. (Chalfant) Adams, the latter of whom was descended from an old English family. Mrs. Wight came to Whatcom county in 1884 to stay with her brothers, Scott and Leonard Adams. She also had tow other brothers, Everett, and W. P. D., who was the first state labor commissioner of Washington and is now living in Seattle. To Mr. and Mrs. Wight have been born three children: Laurel is the wife of Dr. Schultz, of Aberdeen, and the mother of two children, Nancy Anne and Geraldine. The village of Laurel of which Leonard Adams was the first postmaster, was named in her honor. Fay is the wife of Rush Thompson, of Shelby, North Carolina, and the mother of three daughters. Ford M., of Ferndale, was married to Esabel MacDonald, and they have three children, Donald, Gene and Ted. Mr. Wight has ever evinced a commendable interest in everything pertaining to the progress and development of his locality, and after his return from Kansas he served one term as township assessor. Quiet and unostentatious, and seeking the quiet ways of life rather than its tumult and strife, he has ever attended strictly to his won affairs, giving his support when needed to all measures for the betterment of the public welfare. Genial and kindly in all his social relations, he is generous in his attitude toward all worthy benevolent objects, and he has well earned the high place which he now holds in the confidence and regard of his fellow citizens.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 490-491
Wilbur, Walter; M.D.
For practically forty years the name of Dr. Walter Wilbur, of Lynden, has been a household word in this section of Whatcom county, where he has long enjoyed a large and lucrative practice, being numbered among the representative citizens of this locality and being widely known as an able and trustworthy physician. While his name stands out prominently in connection with the medical profession here, his cordial disposition and genuine personal worth have gained for him a host of warm and loyal friends throughout this district. Dr. Wilbur was born in Durham county, Ontario, Canada, on the 20th of May, 1850, and is a son of George Washington and Sarah (Young) Wilbur, the former of whom was a native of New York state and the latter of Vermont. The maternal grandfather was a veteran of the war of the Revolution, having served under General Washington, and the maternal grandmother was born where afterward was fought the battle of Yorktown. George W. Wilbur was a farmer by vocation and was a successful and influential man in his locality.
Walter Wilbur attended the public schools of his home neighborhood and then entered Albert University, which was co-educational with Alexandra College, the college for women. After receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1876 (ad eundem gradum), he entered the medical department of the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1881. He was one of a class of ninety-nine members, who called themselves "The Ninety and Nine." Dr. Wilbur first located at Palmyra, Wisconsin, where he practiced his profession one year and then went to St. Paul, Minnesota, but not liking city life he went to Clear Lake, Wisconsin, where he remained about a year. He next located at Turtle Lake, Wisconsin, the constructive beginning of the "Soo" railroad, where he conducted practice for five years. In 1887 Dr. Wilbur came to Washington, on the first excursion train run from St. Paul and Minneapolis to Vancouver. Owing to the fact that Vancouver had just suffered a disastrous fire, he did not stop at that place but took the steamer Premier for Victoria. He did not land there but took another steamer to Seattle, and from there went to Whatcom. He then started to walk to Lynden, by way of Ten Mile, along the Nooksack valley. His guide lost his way but they finally ran across a cow trail that brought them to the Wellman home. The only man there was George Taylor, who ferried them across the river in a log canoe, and they finally reached Lynden.
Dr. Wilbur was pleased with his choice of a location and began practicing here the day after his arrival. During the subsequent years he became firmly established in the confidence and regard of the people over a wide radius of surrounding country, who learned to appreciate not only his ability and skill as a physician but also recognized him as possessing the highest personal qualities as well. He gave the major portion of his attention to the practice of medicine but also practiced dentistry to some extent, in which vocation he was equally skilled. About 1918, because of advancing years, Dr. Wilbur retired from active practice, though he still serves some of his old patients, who will have no one else. During the World war the Doctor was at Spiketon or Morristown, in Pierce county, Washington, where he did splendid work among the coal miners during the "flu" epidemic, remaining there about one and a half years.
Dr. Wilbur has long been closely identified with the public affairs of Lynden, at all times cooperating with his fellow citizens in all efforts to better local conditions and to advance the general welfare of the people. Genial and friendly in his social relations, kindly and generous in his attitude toward all benevolent objects, he long ago won a warm place in the hearts and affections of the people among whom he cast his lot, and no man in this entire community has been more highly regarded.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 451-452
Willet, E. C.
True manhood and good citizenship have characterized the career of him whose name appears at the head of this sketch, and no man stands higher in the confidence and esteem of the people of his community. He has faithfully performed every duty incumbent upon him, and be his wisely directed efforts and commendable thrift he has acquired a fair share of this world's goods, besides earning an enviable reputation among his fellowmen. E. C. Willet was born in southern Michigan in 1859 and is a son of Charles and Lucy (Aldrich) Willet, the former a native of Seneca county, New York, and the latter of Ohio. The father was a cooper by trade but also followed farming until 1849, when he joined the gold rush to California. Both he and his wife are now deceased.
When E. C. Willet was six years of age the family moved up into the timber country of Michigan, where he was reared and where, as soon as he was old enough, he helped his father clear a tract of land and get it into cultivation. He received his education in the schools of his native state and remained on his father's farm until his marriage, after which he went to work in the woods and in sawmills, which occupation he followed until 1902, when he came to Whatcom county, locating in Bellingham, where he was employed for two years by the Larson Lumber Company. In 1903 he bought eighty acres of land, for which he paid twenty-five dollars down, and immediately entered upon the formidable task of clearing the land and getting it into cultivation. He has since sold forty acres of the original tract, and of the remaining forty acres he has about ten acres cleared, the remainder being devoted to pasture. In the early days here he had several unpleasant experiences with forest fires, which almost destroyed his home. On one occasion he was awakened in the night and found the fire almost to the house. Fortunately he had a plentiful supply of water, which he threw onto the house and the hay stack, and by his untiring efforts succeeded in saving both. Mr. Willet has now turned his attention to the chicken business, in which he is getting a good start, and is also experimenting in the growing of berries. His career here has been marked by the most strenuous sort of labor, but he is now realizing the fruits of his efforts and has a nicely improved and attractive home, the returns from the farm affording him a very comfortable living.
In February, 1884, Mr. Willet was married to Miss Jennie Draggoo, who was born in Indiana and whose death occurred August 11, 1922. She was a daughter of William and Hannah Draggoo, natives of Indiana, and both of whom are deceased, the mother passing away in 1925. To Mr. and Mrs Willet were born eleven children, namely: Lawrence, who met death by drowning in Lake Whatcom; Charlie, of Klamath, Washington, who is married and has one child; Mrs. Ruby Bariball, of Bellingham, who is the mother of three children; Mrs. Hazel Adrian, of the Fairview Hotel, Bellingham, who has two children; Carrie, who keeps house for her father; Howard, who is a student in high school; Ella, who is teaching at Klamath Falls; Orin, who is in high school; and three who are deceased. Fraternally Mr. Willet is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and of the Grange. He also belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He has a wide acquaintance throughout this section of the county, and because of his success, his energetic methods and his generous and kindly nature he has earned and retains the unbounded confidence and good will of the entire community in which he lives.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 332
Willey, George A.
The career of George A. Willey has been closely identified with the history of Whatcom county, for here he has spent over forty years of his useful, industrious and honorable life, beginning his career here in the pioneer epoch of the county, and throughout the subsequent years he has been closely allied with its interests, and upbuilding. His life, being one of unfailing activity, has been crowned with success, and at the same time he has won and retained the confidence and good will of all who know him, because of his upright character, fine public spirit and genial friendly manner. Mr. Willey is a native of the state of Maine, born on the 29th of July, 1850, and he is the scion of sterling old Yankee stock, his parents, John and Mary (Densmore) Willey, also having been natives of that state, while his ancestors, on both paternal and maternal lines, came from England, and some of his forebears were soldiers in the war of the Revolution. John Willey was a farmer in his native state, and also was a carpenter contractor. His death occurred at Millbridge, Maine, in 1861, and his wife died about 1870. Of the six children born to them, three are now living, namely: Veranus, who lives in Millbridge, Maine, and is married and has a son, Harvey; George A; and Julie, who lives in Connecticut.
George A. Willey was educated in the public schools of his native state and on leaving school went to sea, following the life of a sailor for six years. He then returned to the old home and remained on the farm until 1880, when he came to Washington, locating at Fort Gamble, where he was employed as a millwright in a sawmill for six months. Then for two months he was in San Francisco, after which he went to Tacoma, Washington, where he remained for two years. In 1882 Mr. Willey came to Ferndale, Whatcom county, and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on the Nooksack river, in Delta township. He was a pioneer of that immediate locality, and his land was densely covered with timber and brush, to remove which required a prodigious amount of hard and consecutive labor. He has about fifty acres of the place cleared and in cultivation, and he also planted about ten acres of fruit trees, including apples, cherries, plums and peaches. He keeps ten good grade cows, and he has made many fine improvements on the place, including a substantial and well arranged set of farm buildings. By the exercise of sound judgment and discrimination in all of his business affairs, he has achieved a very gratifying measure of success and is now numbered among the enterprising and progressive farmers of his section of the country.
Mr. Willey has been twice married, first, in 1879, to Miss Lena Wilson, a native of Maine, and they became the parents of a daughter, Lena, who died in 1922. Mrs. Lena Willey died in California in 1881, and in September, 1894, Mr. Willey was married to Miss Jessie O'Neil, who was born and reared in Seattle, Washington. To them have been born five children, namely: Mrs. Mabel A. Martin, of Sumas, Washington, who is the mother of three children - Paul A., Constance E. and Glen A.; Mrs. Florence G. Chapin, who is the wife of Herbert Chapin and has a daughter, Virginia Lee, born April 18, 1925; Evelyn D., who lives in Lynden; and Marion B. and Jessie C.
Herbert Chapin was born at Marion, Michigan, July 21, 1895, and is a son of Wallace and Edith (Call) Chapin, the former of whom was a native of Wisconsin, while the latter was born in Michigan. When Herbert was a child of but three years the family came to Washington, and he received his education in the schools of this state. On the outbreak of the World war he became intensely interested in the struggle, and after the United States entered the war he enlisted in the navy, July 14, 1917, and served until after the close of the conflict, receiving an honorable discharge February 2, 1919. He is now residing with his father-in-law on the home farm, of which he has taken active charge. He is a wide-awake, up-to-date farmer, thoroughly understands his work and does well whatever he undertakes. He is a genial and friendly man in his social relations, courteous and accommodating toward his neighbors, and is held in the highest esteem throughout the community.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 944-945
Williams, C. O.
Among the citizens of Ferndale township who have created comfortable homes and surrounded themselves with valuable personal and landed property, stands C. O. Williams. With few opportunities except what his own efforts were capable of creating and with many discouragements to overcome, he has made a splendid success of life and has attained an exalted place in the estimation of his fellow citizens. C. O. Williams is a native of Vienna, Ontario, Canada, born on the 1st of July, 1874, and is a son of John H. and Susan F. (McAnderson) Williams. The father is a native of Ontario, Canada, and the mother was born in Scotland. They are now living on their farmstead in Canada, the father being eighty-four and the mother eighty-two years of age. They are the parents of five children, Rose, C. O., Cecil H., Nora and Mae.
C. O. Williams was reared on the paternal farm and secured his education in the public schools of that locality. He assisted his father, until he was twenty-two years of age, when he was married and went to work in brick yards, which line he followed for seven years. Then for about a year he engaged in farming in Canada, and in May, 1901, came to Whatcom county and was variously employed for seven years. In 1903 he bought forty acres in Ferndale township and applied himself to the task of clearing the land of the brush and stumps with which it was covered. He cleared twenty-five acres and in the course of time created a very comfortable home. He located on the ranch in 1909, erected a full set of farm buildings, substantial and attractive in character, and here he has been engaged in cultivating the soil and in raising poultry. He keeps about two thousand hens, and also milks a few cows, in addition to which he has a fine vegetable garden. Mr. Williams is fortunate in having a bountiful supply of water on his place and has installed a fine electric pumping plant, with the aid of which he may irrigate his farm. Several successive dry seasons have caused a comparative shortage of crops and this condition will now be avoided through irrigation. Mr. Williams is energetic and exercises wise direction in all of his operations, so that he has been able to realize a very fair measure of success from his farm.
On February 19, 1896, Mr. Williams was married to Miss Hattie H. Nickerson, who was born and reared in Canada, the daughter of William Henry and Angeline (Teall) Nickerson, the father a native of England and the mother of Canada. They became successful farmers in Canada, where the father is still living, the mother being deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Williams have been born four children, namely: Mrs. Erie Hansen, who is the mother of a daughter, Mernie; George Lewis, at home, who served in the World war as a member of the One Hundred Forty-second Canadian Infantry, serving four years overseas and sustaining five wounds; Alonzo H., who lives in Bellingham, and Lottie, who is the wife of Forest Loomer and the mother of two sons, Forest, Jr., and Malin B. The first three of these children were born in Canada and the last one in Ferndale township. Mr. Williams is widely recognized as a splendid citizen. His standard is a high one and he maintains it faithfully, being a man of lofty character, sturdy integrity and true to his ideals, such a man that the community is honored by his citizenship.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 656-657
Williams, Edward Morris
Edward Morris Williams is a member of one of the old and highly respected families of Deming township and has long been a leader of agricultural progress in this section of the state. He was born in Columbus, Ohio, June 21, 1862, of the union of Edward A. and Lydia (Owen) Williams. The latter was born in New York state in 1828, and the father was a native of Wales. He came to the United States as a young man and followed the trade of a blacksmith, also working as a machinist. He passed away in 1865 and was long survived by the mother, whose demise occurred in Deming township in May, 1901. In their family were five children, three sons and two daughters. John F. Williams, a brother of the subject of this sketch, came to Whatcom county in 1883 and preempted land one and three-fourths miles north of Deming. The place was situated near the homestead of J. V. Smith, of Illinois, who had located here a short time before. There were no roads in the district and the dense forests contained game of all kinds. Mr. Williams cleared the greater portion of the tract, which he later sold, and as one of the first settlers in this part of the county he was widely and favorably known. He afterward lived on the homestead which his mother had taken up, and while working on the farm he succumbed to an attack of heart disease, responding to the final summons October 10, 1925, when seventy years of age. His brother Thomas also settled in Deming township in 1883 and homesteaded the land on which Edward M. Williams is now living. He afterward sold the place and spent several years in the mining district of California, prospecting for gold. One sister died in Ohio, and the other, Mrs. W. T. Barnum, is living in Deming.
In 1886 Edward M. Williams came to Whatcom county with his mother, who proved up on the homestead abandoned by her son Thomas, while the subject of this review preempted land on Carney island near Deming. He now resides on his mother's homestead, a portion of which has been sold. He has forty-two acres of fertile land and has built a good home, also adding other improvements which have enhanced the value of the property. He operates a well equipped dairy, keeping pure bred Jersey cattle for this purpose, and is also engaged in the poultry business. He has an expert knowledge of agricultural pursuits, acquired through years of experience and study, and his work is performed in a systematic manner, being productive of the best results.
On August 24, 1902, Mr. Williams married Miss Elizabeth Williamson, a daughter of Thomas and Mary Williamson. She was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, and followed the profession of nursing at Dublin. She spent one year in Canada and then crossed the border into the United States, coming to Whatcom county in 1901. Mr. and Mrs. Williams have a family of four children: Edward Thomas, at home; Griffith S., who is attending college at Moscow, Idaho; Lydia D., a high school student; and William George, a pupil in the eighth grade. Mr. Williams is identified with the Masonic order and belongs to the Whatcom County Dairymen's and Poultry Raisers Associations. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and in 1905 was called to the office of school clerk. He has lived to witness notable changes in this district as pioneer conditions have been replaced by the advantages of modern civilization, and in the work of progress and improvement he has borne his full share.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 585-586
Williamson, L. A.
Among the farmers of Whatcom county who believe in following twentieth century methods is L. A. Williamson, of Lynden township. He comes of a splendid family, one that always stood for right living and industrious habits, for education and morality and for all that contributes to the welfare of the commonwealth. His own career here has been such as to gain for him an enviable standing throughout the community, and he is clearly entitled to representation among the enterprising and progressive farmers of his county. Mr. Williamson was born at Port Townsend, Washington, in 1890, and is a son of J. and Eliza (Bradley) Williamson. His father was born February 14, 1844, in Scotland, and was brought to Victoria, British Columbia, when nine years old. In young manhood he came to Washington, locating at Dungenese (sic). In the late '60s, after looking over Skagit and Whatcom counties, he decided to locate in the first named county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres at La Conner, now known as the John Peth place. It was largely tide flat land, but he built dikes and otherwise improved the place, which was developed into a good farm. He was progressive in his ideas and methods and assisted in constructing the first telegraph line in that county. He went to Fraser river at the time of the historic gold rush, and later went to Port Townsend, where for a number of years he was connected with the United States customs service. In 1905 he came to Lynden township, Whatcom county, and located on the farm now occupied by our subject, and here his death occurred April 25, 1915. Eliza (Bradley) Williamson was born in Missouri, and her death occurred in 1902. She first met her future husband at Whidbey island, and was one of the early settlers in Skagit county.
L. A. Williamson was educated in the public schools of Skagit county and then worked on his father's farm there and later on the Lynden township place. When his father first came to this tract which he rented, only two and a half of the one hundred and sixty acres were cleared, the remainder being a tangle of timber, stumps and brush. About one hundred and twenty acres are now cleared, the remainder being excellent pasture land. During the first five or six years here, our subject worked out during the summer season, putting in the winters on his place, but for many years now he has devoted himself closely to the operation of the farm, in which he has met with very creditable success. He is carrying on dairy farming, keeping forty heard of good grade Holstein cattle, with a registered Holstein sire, and on his broad acres he raises splendid crops of hay and grain, considerable of which he sells. He has always rented the place, having found that arrangement very satisfactory. When he came to this locality the only highway to Lynden was a muddy trail, but in the following year the county began the opening of a road.
In February, 1918, Mr. Williamson was married to Miss Ethel Crabtree, who was born in Minnesota, a daughter of C. H. F. and Agnes (Arbuckle) Crabtree, and they are the parents of three children, namely: Effie Agnes, Violet Editha and Lee Arthur, Jr. Mr. Williamson is a member of the Grange and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association, while fraternally he was at one time a member of the Knights of Pythias. He is a man of wide general information, keeps in close touch with the great issues of the day, on which he holds positive opinions, and is also keenly interested in whatever pertains to the progress and advancement of his community. He is a good "mixer," enjoys a wide acquaintance and is held in the highest esteem throughout his community, where his splendid personal qualities are fully appreciated.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 427-428
Willis, Charles E.
Charles E. Willis is one of the enterprising dairymen of Marietta township and has also found time for participation in public affairs. He was born September 15, 1866, and is a native of Brown county, Wisconsin. His parents were William and Martha (Page) Willis, the former a native of New York state and the latter a Canadian. They migrated to the middle west in the '50s and the father was one of the pioneer farmers of Wisconsin.
Charles E. Willis received a public school education and on starting out to provide for his own livelihood secured work in one of the shingle mills of Wisconsin. He utilized every opportunity to broaden his knowledge of the lumber industry and steadily advanced, eventually becoming a timber cruiser. He was thus engaged for several years and won recognition as an expert in that line of activity. In 1910 Mr. Willis retired from the lumber business and came to Whatcom county, purchasing a tract of three and a half acres in the vicinity of Bellingham. He has since resided on this property and has built a good home, adding other improvements to the place. He has a fine orchard on his land but specializes in dairying and has thirteen graded Jersey cattle, purchasing the feed for his herd. His butter and cheese find a ready market and their high quality is the direct result of system and science in their preparation.
In 1907 Mr. Willis was united in marriage to Miss Ella Johnson, who is a native of Sweden and came to the United States as a young girl. Mr. Willis casts his ballot for the candidates of the democratic party and for two years has been one of the supervisors of Marietta township, performing valuable public service in that connection. He belongs to the Grange and the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and is also a member of the Wisconsin Club. He enjoys his work and the success which he has gained is the merited reward of diligence, perseverance and integrity.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 182
Willison, George A.
A man of mature judgment, broad experience and keen sagacity, George A. Willison was a recognized leader in financial circle of Blaine, and his demise in August of 1917, was a great loss to the community. He was a native of Ontario, Canada, and was born January 10, 1854, a son of Stephen and Jane (Abrams) Willison. As a young man he went to North Dakota and on starting out in life for himself entered land from the government and eventually converted the tract into a productive farm, which he operated for many years, utilizing the most modern methods in the cultivation of the soil. After selling the property he came to Washington and in 1907 purchased a small ranch in the vicinity of Blaine. He also founded the Home State Bank, of which he was elected president, remaining at its head until about one year before his death. Under his wise guidance the business steadily expanded, at the same time influencing the growth of the locality, and the bank became recognized as one of the strong and reliable moneyed institutions of this part of the state. His fellow citizens regarded Mr. Willison as an authority on banking and frequently sought his advice in regard to investments and other financial matters.
In October, 1879, Mr. Willison married Miss Catherine A. Still, a daughter of David and Catherine still, and to this union were born eight children. Stephen, the eldest, is engaged in farming and lives in North Dakota. Katherine Jane is the wife of O. K. Middleton, a prominent business man of Blaine. James is also a resident of Blaine and has a wife and one child. Grace married Don Wilson, a well known merchant of Blaine and is married and has two children. Maude Lillian is the wife of Marshall Berton, of Blaine, and the mother of three children. Walter also follows the occupation of farming and makes his home in North Dakota. Clyde is married and is a resident of Seattle, Washington.
Mr. Willison was an earnest member of the Congregational church, with which he widow is affiliated, and in politics he was a stanch republican but never sought office as a reward for party fealty. He had the welfare of his community deeply at heart and was always ready to further every plan for its improvement. He was scrupulously honest in his dealings with his fellow citizens, who entertained for him the highest respect, and he left to his family the heritage of a good name - a possession which is more to be desired than great wealth.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 143
Wilson, Alfred H.
Earnest, purposeful and industrious, Alfred H. Wilson has progressed through the medium of his own efforts, and for more than twenty years his name has been synonymous with enterprise and probity in commercial circles of Blaine. He was born November 29, 1853, in St. Lawrence county, New York, and was but four years old when his parents, Johna and Caroline (Smith) Wilson, migrated to the middle west. His mother was also a native of the Empire state, and the father was born in Vermont. They settled in Wisconsin in 1857 and John Wilson became one of the pioneer lumbermen of that state. Later he engaged in farming and followed that occupation in Wisconsin until his death, which occurred in 1910, while his wife passed away in September, 1924.
After the completion of his public school course Alfred H. Wilson obtained work in the lumber mills of Wisconsin and later purchased an interest in a general store at Norrie, that state. He was thus engaged from 1884 until 1896 and then was in business under his own name for six years. In 1902 he located in Bellingham, Washington, acquiring a half interest in the Columbia Grocery, and at the end of two years disposed of his stock in the concern. In 1904 he allied his interests with those of Blaine, becoming owner of a grocery store which he has since operated. He never carries inferior goods and is content with a fair profit on his sales. He has a comprehensive understanding of mercantile affairs, acquired through years of practical experience, and his up-to-date methods and honorable dealing have brought him a large share of the local trade.
In 1872 Mr. Wilson married Miss Elizabeth Spencer, of Maine, and five children were born to them. Maude, the eldest, became the wife of Lewis Anderson, of Wisconsin, and they have a family of seven children. Mamie married John Shields, of Blaine, by whom she has three children. Myrtle is the wife of the Rev. C. W. Burdick, pastor of the Congregational church at Walla Walla, Washington, and they have three children. Mildred married H. C. Barney, a well known attorney of Anacortes, Washington, and they have become the parents of two children. Abbie, the youngest member of the family is at home. Lloyd and Alfred Anderson, grandsons of the subject of this sketch, fought for their country in the World war. Mr. Wilson is affiliated with the Congregational church and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. He is in complete accord with every movement for civic growth and betterment and is esteemed for the qualities which have made possible his success.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 397
Wilson, Claude E.
Claude E. Wilson is one of the enterprising young business men of Blaine and a native son whose record reflects credit upon the community. He was born April 25, 1890, and his father, Rufus A. Wilson, was a native of New Hampshire. He was a stationary engineer and come to Whatcom county, Washington, about 1886, locating in Blaine. He was employed by Alaska packers for a considerable period, and he reached the age of sixty-nine years, passing away June 10, 1923. In Iowa he had married Miss Laura B. Tyson, who is a native of that state and still resides in Blaine.
Claude E. Wilson was a pupil in the grammar and high schools of Blaine and afterward took up the study of telegraphy. In 1907 he was made local depot agent of the Great Northern Railroad and acted in that capacity for eight years. In 1915 he entered the mercantile establishment of Wolten & Montfort as one of the partners and has since remained with the firm. He fills a responsible position and his fidelity to duty and thorough knowledge of the business have made his services of great value to the firm, which enjoys a large patronage.
In 1915 Mr. Wilson married Miss Evabel Brown, a native of Custer, Washington, and a daughter of James and Annabel (Aiken) Brown. The children of this union are Bonnie Jean and Barbara June, aged respectively six and five years. Mr. Wilson is a republican in his political views and his fraternal associations are with the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a loyal supporter of every movement for the benefit of his community and possesses many commendable traits of character, as his fellow citizens attest.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 276-277
Wilson, Ira V.
Ira V. Wilson, Bellingham florist, was born at Oskaloosa, Jefferson county, Kansas, October 22, 1887, and is a son of Armine and Elizabeth (Venters) Wilson, the latter of whom is till living, now a resident of Bellingham. The late Armine Wilson, a contractor, who died in 1906, became a resident of the state of Washington in 1903, in which year he moved with his family to Seattle and there became established in business.
Ira V. Wilson was fifteen years of age when he came with his parents to this state. He completed his studies in the Seattle schools, graduating from the high school and from Wilson's Business college in that city. Upon leaving school he was for two years employed by the Seattle Electric Company and then became interested in the florist's business, establishing a greenhouse in Seattle, a business which he carried on for seven years, at the end of which time he disposed of his greenhouse and confined his attention to the retail trade in flowers. A year later he was induced to go to Salt Lake City as superintendent of the Miller Floral Company and after two years transferred his services to a Chicago house, being traveling representative of the latter for a year or more. In September, 1917, Mr. Wilson bought the Floral Exchange at Bellingham, which had been established in 1914, and has since been engaged in this business, with a tract of twenty-five acres devoted to his growing products, giving special attention to the cultivation of bulbs, and with a well stocked and admirably appointed retail store at 1330 Cornwall avenue, one of the leading florists in this section of the state and widely known in his line.
In 1912 Mr. Wilson married Miss Esther Beal of Bellingham and they have two sons, Charles Beal and Richard Venters. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson have a pleasant home at Bellingham and take an interested and helpful part in the city's general social activities. They are republicans and give proper attention to local civic affairs. Mrs. Wilson is a daughter of Charles and Frances (Mead) Beal, the latter still living, residing in Bellingham, which has been her home for many years. The late Charles Beal, who died in 1921, was for years one of the best known men in this section of the state, a prominent factor in the political life of this region, one time fish commissioner and superintendent of the waterworks, and in other ways active and influential in public affairs. Mr. Wilson is a member of the Rotary Club of Bellingham and is also affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and with the Woodmen of the World.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 426
Wilson, J. A.
Among the sons of the old Buckeye state who have come to Whatcom county is the well known poultry farmer and brick mason, J. A. Wilson, who has in every way merited the success which has come to him as well as the esteem of his fellow citizens. He was born in the southeastern part of Ohio in 1867 and is a son of W. W. and Eliza (Haas) Wilson. The mother was also born in Ohio and died in Kansas in 1880, but the father, who was a farmer by vocation, was born in Pennsylvania. The father was a veteran of the Civil war, having served as a member of the Sixty-third Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He came to Whatcom county in 1890 and made his home with his son-in-law, Fred Hintze, until his death which occurred in 1912.
J. A. Wilson secured his education in the public schools of Ohio and Kansas, the family having moved to the latter state in 1879. He remained there until 1885, when he removed to Kearney, Nebraska, where he learned the trade of a bricklayer, at which he was employed four years there. In the spring of 1889 he located in Portland, Oregon, but in the fall of that year he returned to Kearney, where he remained until the following year, when he went to Denver, Colorado, and thence to Salt Lake City, where he worked at his trade. Late in 1890 Mr. Wilson came to Whatcom county, where he spent about two years, but in the spring of 1892 went to Montana, and a little later to Lincoln, Nebraska, where he remained two years. He was next in Mound City, Missouri, for about seven months, at the end of which time he returned to Lincoln, were he worked at his trade about a year. He then was married and went to Grand Island, Nebraska, from there went to Mound City, Missouri, and then to St. Joseph, that state. His next move was to Atchison, Kansas, where he remained for a short time and then went to Omaha, Nebraska, where he spent about three years, being employed at his trade in all of these places. In 1900 Mr. Wilson located in Kansas City, which was his home for four years, and at the end of that time he came to Bellingham, where he was employed at his trade in the construction of the Great Northern depot and the Franklin school. He was next in Seattle about two years, at the end of which time he and two others went to the Mt. Baker district on a mining proposition, but were snowed in and were compelled to remain there almost nine months. In 1907 he returned to Bellingham to work at his trade, and in 1914 he bought twenty acres of land on the Axton road, which he has improved and developed into a good home. When he bought the place it was in fair condition and contained several buildings. Here he is very comfortably situated and is engaged in poultry farming, in which he has met with splendid success. He keeps about eight hundred chickens and several cows, and on his land he raises hay and grain sufficient for feeding purposes. He has made many good improvements on the place. Since he has lived here he has seen great progress made in his neighborhood. When he located here the Axton highway was simply a puncheon road, which was not pleasant to travel on even at its best. Mr. Wilson has contributed of his efforts to advance local conditions and has long been numbered among the progressive and public-spirited men of the community. During the years of his residence here, he has also worked at his trade whenever his services were required and is known throughout his section of the county as a competent and trustworthy workman.
In 1895 Mr. Wilson was married to Miss Maggie Robertshaw, who was born in Indiana, a daughter of John and Ellen (Haas) Robertshaw, both of whom died when Mrs. Wilson was a young girl. Her paternal grandfather was a soldier in the Civil war and was killed in battle. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson became the parents of three children, namely: Fern, who died at the age of seven weeks; Mrs. Vera Ebright, a resident of Seattle; and Mabel, who died at the age of eighteen years.
Fraternally Mr. Wilson is a member of Bellingham Aerie, No. 31, Fraternal Order of Eagles and belongs to the Bricklayers Union and the Whatcom County Poultry Association. He is a quiet and unassuming man, pursuing the even tenor of his way in an unostentatious manner, but performs his duties of citizenship in an honest and conscientious way, supporting every movement calculated to advance the general interests of the community. His probity of character and his genial personality have gained for him the universal esteem and friendship of his neighbors and fellow citizens and he is held in high regard wherever known.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 550-553
Wilson, J. C.
J. C. Wilson, one of the substantial farmers and cattlemen of Mountain View township, with a well kept and well stocked place on rural mail route No. 3 out of Ferndale, is a native of the Sunflower state but a resident of Washington and has never had occasion to regret the choice which established him in Whatcom county. He was born in the village of Burden, Cowley county, Kansas, October 1, 1878, and is a son of Elias and Frances (Hall) Wilson. The latter, born in Indiana, became a resident of Kansas during the days of her girlhood and was thus familiar with pioneering conditions in that state. Elias Wilson was born in Iowa, a member of one of the pioneer families of the Hawkeye state, and as a young man became a resident of Kansas, locating there in the days when great herds of buffalo still roamed over the limitless open range and in his day he became quite a skilled buffalo hunter. After his marriage he farmed in the Burden neighborhood in Cowley county and there developed a good piece of property.
Reared on the home farm, J. C. Wilson attended the local schools, reaching the high school, and from the days of his boyhood was a helpful factor in the labor of developing and improving the home farm. He remained with his father until he was twenty-five years of age, when he engaged in ranching on his own account in Colorado. After some years of experience in that state he went to Canada and was a resident of Alberta until the fall of 1918, when he came to Washington and has since been a resident of Whatcom county. Mr. Wilson has a well improved farm of sixty acres and gives considerable attention to raising cattle, specializing in Guernseys, and is doing will in his operations, which are carried on in accordance with up-to-date methods.
In July, 1919, Mr. Wilson was united in marriage to Mrs. Linde Hunter, a widow, and they have a pleasant home on their place in the Ferndale neighborhood. Mrs. Wilson was born in Kansas and her father has been established for years on a ranch in Idaho. She has been a resident of the coast country for twenty years and more. Mr. Wilson is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, which popular fraternal organization he joined at Evans, Colorado, in 1909, and he takes an interest in all affairs relating to general progress and improvement.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 822-825