Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led at Genealogy Trails History Group


Whatcom County
Washington
Genealogy and History


Biographies

 

Wo-Wy

 


Wogensen, P. N.

    Among the favorably known and representative citizens of Ferndale township, where he has lived for a number of years, in P. N. Wogensen, who has by his indomitable enterprise and progressive methods contributed in a material way to the advancement of the community, as well as to his own success. He was born in Denmark on the 15th on June, 1864, and is a son of Nis and Christina Wogensen, both of whom also were natives of that country. The father brought his family to the United States in 1883 and located in Clinton, Iowa, where he was employed in a factory for about four years. He then went to Lincoln county, Minnesota, where he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, to the improvement and cultivation of which he devoted himself, and he resided there until his death, which occurred in 1902. His wife died in 1909. They were the parents of seven children.

    P. N. Wogensen attended the public schools of his native country and then learned the trade of a blacksmith. At the age of eighteen years he accompanied his parents on their immigration to the United States, and for four years he followed the blacksmith's trade in Clinton, Iowa. He then went to Minnesota, where he remained about a year, and at the end of that time he went to Watertown, South Dakota, where he ran a shop for two years, followed by eight years in the same line of business at Toronto, that state. He then went back to Minnesota and bought his father's farm, which he operated until 1910, when he sold it and came to Ferndale, arriving here on December 24 of that year. He bought twenty-five acres of land on the Blaine highway, which he cleared and developed into a good farm and to the operation of which he has closely devoted himself to the present time. He keeps three cows and about five hundred laying hens and has about two acres of his land in fruit. Mr. Wogensen also operates a blacksmith shop on his place for the benefit of the neighborhood trade. He keeps his farm well improved in all respects and has a very comfortable and attractive home. His life has been characterized by hard and persevering industry and he richly deserves the success which has come to him.

    On June 22, 1893, Mr. Wogensen was married to Miss Thea Petersen, who was born in Norway, a daughter of Andrew and Ellen Karoline Petersen, both also natives of that country. They came to the United States in 1867, settling in Lansing, Iowa, where Mr. Petersen ran a farm until 1872, when he went to Minnesota, of which state he was a pioneer. He took up a homestead in Rock county but later sold it and in 1892 went to South Dakota, where he preempted a farm, on which he resided until his death, which occurred in October, 1920. His wife passed away in April of the following year. To Mr. and Mrs. Wogensen have been born seven children, namely: Leonard, born in South Dakota, April 5, 1894, who is married and lives in Seattle; Elnora, born May 3, 1896, who is the wife of James Forestal, of Seattle; Thelma, born September 28, 1899, who became the wife of Alfred Lockness and the mother of two children - Robert, born February 23, 1923; and Harriet, born February 3, 1925; Alta, born October 12, 1901, who was graduated from the Ferndale high school and the State Normal School at Bellingham, and is now teaching school in Spokane, Washington; William, born February 13, 1904, who is now in Alaska; Hilda, born March 31, 1907, who is now in high school; and Clifford, born November 3, 1908, who is at home. Mr. Wogensen is a member of the Whatcom County Poultry Association, and he and his wife are faithful members of the Adventist church at Ferndale. Mr. Wogensen is a distinctive type of the self-made man. His has not been a pretentious or exalted life but one that has been true to itself, showing him to be a man of strong and alert mentality, deeply interested in everything pertaining to the advancement of his community, and he is recognized as one of the leading men of his locality, enjoying general confidence and good will.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 134-135


Wolten, Paul A.

    Paul A. Wolten, merchant and financier, is one of the substantial business men of Blaine and represents an old and highly respected family of this community. A native of Germany he was born July 22, 1872, and was but six years old when his parents, Julius and Mary (Ziedler) Wolten, made the voyage to the new world. In 1878 they established their home in Potsdam, Minnesota, and there the father opened a shoe store, of which he was the proprietor for several years. In 1890 he came to Washington and entered the same line of activity in Blaine. Through honorable methods and good management he built up a prosperous business and is now living retired in Blaine. He has reached the venerable age of eighty-four years, but the mother passed away in 1913. To their union were born four children: Julius, who still lives in the fatherland; Mrs. Annie Kirkpatrick, a resident of Whatcom county; Paul A.; and William, who is engaged in the grocery business at Port Angeles, Washington.

    Paul A. Walton was educated in the public schools of Minnesota and in 1890 came to Blaine with the family. He was employed as a clerk for three years and with his savings purchased a small stock of groceries. He was successful in the venture and from time to time has widened the scope of his activities, building an addition to his store, which now has a frontage of seventy-five feet. He is a dealer in hardware, crockery, groceries and farm implements and carries the largest stock of merchandise in Blaine. He is always prepared to supply the needs of customers and his unfailing courtesy and well known reliability have drawn to him an extensive patronage. He is also an astute financier and since its organization in 1908 has been vice president of the Home State Bank, of which Albert Still is president, while O. K. Middleton is filling the office of cashier.

    In 1900 Mr. Wolten married Miss Roxie Wilson, a native of North Dakota and a daughter of R. A. Wilson, one of the early settlers of Blaine. Mr. and Mrs. Wolten have a family of ten children: Laura, who is living in Seattle; and Leona, Norma, Paul, Alice, David, Wayne, Gordon, Veneta and Nellie, all of whom are at home. Mr. Wolten is allied with the republican party, and his contribution to the general welfare covers eight years of service on the town council of Blaine. He is one of the energetic members of the Chamber of Commerce, of which he has been president, and along fraternal lines is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He has earned the legitimate reward of a life of industry and thrift and at the same time has aided in pushing forward the wheels of progress in this locality, in which he has a wide circle of sincere friends.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 274


Wood, Frederick J.

    The astute, enterprising and sagacious business man is at once the mainstay and the motive power of every community in which he is found, and of this type is Frederick J. Wood, of Bellingham, at the head of one of the largest lumber industries in the Pacific northwest. He was born at Stanton, Michigan, in 1869, and his parents were E. K. and Marian S. (Thayer) Wood. The father was a native of New York and in 1866 migrated to Michigan, state while the lumber industry was at its height, becoming one of its large producers, and in 1892, however, he had made a timber investment at Grays Harbor in 1884 when the business began to decline, transferred the scene of his activities to California. Prior to this he had invested in timber at Grays Harbor, Washington, in 1884. In California he laid the foundation for the large business now controlled by his son Frederick J., and was long numbered among the foremost lumbermen of the Pacific coast region. He remained at the head of the industry until his death in 1917. His widow passed away in 1922. He was a man of superior ability and measured up to high standards in very relation of life.

    Frederick J. Wood received his higher education in Olivet College of Michigan, being a member of the class of 1890, and then became associated with his father in the lumber trade, gradually mastering the technicalities of the industry. As time passed he assumed heavier responsibilities and at his father's death was able to take entire charge of the business, of which he has since been president. It was incorporated February 5, 1895, as the E. K. Wood Lumber Company and this style has remained unchanged. The first officers were E. K. Wood, president, and C. A. Thayer, secretary. They established yards in Los Angeles and San Francisco, California, and operated a mill at Grays Harbor, Washington. Being desirous of acquiring another mill in this state, E. K. Wood sent two experts to examine properties but both sent in an unfavorable report, and Mr. Wood then selected his son Frederick for the mission. He was at that time a young man of thirty-one years and after viewing the plant at South Bellingham he realized its value. He advised the firm to buy the property in the event of the election of William B. McKinley, thus insuring the restoration of protective tariff measurers, and accordingly in 1900 they purchased the mill from the Bellingham Land Company. Later the E. K. Wood Lumber Company bought large tracts of timber in this region and remodeled the plant, which has a capacity of one hundred and seventy-five thousand feet of lumber every eight hours. In 1923 they built a modern mill at Anacortes, Washington, electrified the plant, and they now have a total capacity of five hundred and fifty thousand feet of lumber per day, working in eight-hour shifts. The company has seven large steamers for transporting its product and each is capable of carrying from seven hundred and fifty thousand to two million, one hundred thousand feet of lumber. The firm has a general office in San Francisco with retail yards at San Pedro, Los Angeles, Oakland, Berkeley, Santa Ana and Huntington Beach, California, with a buying and selling office at Portland, Oregon, and also sells direct to the trade. The corporation utilizes the services of about thirteen hundred and fifty men and its payroll when running two shifts amounts to more than a half million dollars per year at Bellingham alone. Mr. Wood owns personally a half interest in a large proposition in the province of British Columbia, Canada, where they have over five hundred employes, and through the exercise of tact, kindness and consideration he has secured the good will and earnest cooperation of those who serve him. No detail of the business escapes his observation and in the direction of his affairs he displays notable wisdom and administrative power. Under his expert guidance the business has constantly expanded until it is now classed with the largest lumber organizations in the northwest and in the operation of this important industry he has obtained maximum efficiency with a minimum expenditure of time, labor and material. He has never deviated from the high principles upon which the business was founded, and for thirty years the firm name has been synonymous with enterprise, integrity and reliability.

    In 1891 Mr. Wood married Miss Anna Bale, of Lakeview, Michigan, and the children of this union are Warren B., who assists his father in the conduct of the business; and Marian Ann. Mr. wood is a Knight Templar Mason and has taken the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite Consistory. He is also identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Bellingham Country Club and the Country Club of Berkeley, California. He is a director of the First National Bank of Bellingham and exerts a strong influence in the control of its affairs. He casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party, and his connection with public affairs covers two years' service on the Fairhaven city council. Mr. Wood has played well his part, ably continuing the constructive work begun by his father, and his record reflects credit upon the honored name he bears.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 118-121


Woodin, Wellington Alfred
One of the early residents of the Puget Sound country is Wellington Alfred Woodin, and throughout the entire period of his residence here no one has been more thoroughly interested in everything which pertains to the progress of the communities in which he has dwelt. His life has been strictly honorable, upright and just, being in accord with the highest principles of human conduct, and he has therefore gained and retained the friendship of all with whom he has come in contact. Mr. Woodin was born in Picton, Nova Scotia, on the 18th of June, 1850, and is a son of John J. and Maria (Frazier) Woodin, also natives of Nova Scotia. The father, who is of English descent, is now a retired sea captain living at Fairhaven, and has reached the good old age of ninety years. The mother, who was of Scottish ancestry, passed away in death in 1862, at the age of thirty-eight years. In the family of this worthy couple were six children, five sons and one daughter, as follows: Edward; Eleanor, the wife of A. Delaire, living in San Francisco, California; James; Wellington, of this review; William, who served as sheriff of Bingham county, Idaho, and died in that state in 1902; and Walter, who makes his home in San Francisco. By a second marriage Mr. Woodin became the father of six children, four sons and two daughters: Harry, Frank and Eugene, who are engaged in merchandising at Colfax, Washington; Mina, the wife of Rev. J. Lowry, of Fairhaven, and Tom and Lilly, deceased.
Wellington Alfred Woodin received extremely limited educational advantages during his youth, and when but nine years of age went to sea on his father's ship, sailing before the mast for nine years, during which time he was engaged in the West India trade. In February, 1870, he abandoned the life of a sailor and took up his residence in Nebraska, there securing land, and in April of the same year was joined by his parents, that commonwealth continuing to be his home until 1875, and during two years of that time he was engaged in driving cattle from Texas to the Yankton agency in Dakota. In 1874 he was married, and in the following spring went to California, where he was engaged in operating a schooner in the general traffic service on Humboldt Bay, and for four years Humboldt county of the Golden state continued to be the place of his residence. Returning thence to Nebraska, he spent one year at his old home there, after which he made his way to Eagle Rock, Idaho, where he spent thirteen months in the car shops of that place, and on the expiration of that period, in the spring of 1882, located on Guemes Island, the journey hither being made by way of San Francisco and Seattle. One year later Mr. Woodin removed to Fairhaven, Washington, where he was among the early pioneers, and he opened the first grocery store at that point. After a residence of one year at that place he took up his abode at Bellingham, where he was appointed the first postmaster, and in connection with the duties of that office also conducted a general store. In 1887 he rented the Bellingham saw-mill, where he manufactured about one million feet of lumber. He sent the first foreign cargo of lumber from Fairhaven, shipping to New Caledonia, a French possession in the South Sea, about one thousand miles southwest of Australia. In 1888 Mr. Woodin started a logging camp at Fairhaven and cleared the present town site of that city, while in the following year, 1889, he purchased the Fairhaven Lumber and Planing Mill from R. Frankenburg, continuing its operation until 1895, and on the 17th of March of that year the mill was destroyed by fire. Reconstruction, however, was immediately commenced, operations being resumed on the 31st of May following, but in 1897 our subject sold the mill plant and in the spring of the following year organized the Northern Transportation Company. Purchasing the bark Theobold, he came to Seattle and loaded for Skagway, and after disposing of his cargo there returned to the former city and loaded the vessel with coal for San Francisco. After the return trip this bark was sold to San Francisco parties, after which Mr. Woodin continued in the Alaska Tronsportation trade until 1901, and during that time he was quite successful in his operations. In the spring of 1902 he came to Anacortes and engaged in general merchandising, and after his arrival in this city he also erected a shingle-mill at Lake Campbell. Thus it will be seen that his business connections on the Pacific coast have been many and varied, and in the many communities in which he has made his home he has used his influence and means in the advancement of whatever has been for the general good.
Mr. Woodin was first married in Nebraska, in August, 1874, when Miss Elizabeth Woods became his wife. She was a native of the state of Ohio and a daughter of H. P. and Jane Woods, who were farming people in the Buckeye state. Three children were born of this union: Eugene Melville, Eugenia Maude and Lilian Eloise, the last named having died at the age of seven years. In June, 1887, the mother of these children passed into eternal rest, and in February, 1890, Mr. Woodin was united in marriage to Vennie Wells, a native of Wisconsin. Our subject's fraternal connections are with the Knights of Pythias, the Woodmen of the World and the Ancient Order of United workmen, and in political matters he upholds the principles of the Republican party. He was a member of the first city council at Fairhaven and there paid the first city tax receipt. He is a man of well rounded character, his varied interests having produced a symmetrical development, and while his energies are chiefly given to his business he is a valued factor in fraternal and social circles, where his upright life and genial temperament make him a general favorite.
A History of the Puget Sound Country Vol. 1, Col. William F. Prosser, pub. 1903

Wootton, Daniel C.

    With an aptitude for mechanical pursuits, Daniel C. Wootton has wisely continued in the field of activity for which he is best adapted, and although young in years he has won and retained a position of leadership in automobile circles of Ferndale, his native town. He was born in 1897 and is a son of Reuben and Emma Wootton, natives of England. His father was one of the early settlers of Ferndale, in which he established his home about 1892, becoming widely and favorably known as a steam engineer, but now resides in Bellingham, Washington.

    Daniel C. Wootton received a public school education, and his identification with the automotive trade dates from boyhood. He became an expert mechanic and in 1920, when twenty-three years of age, was able to establish a business of his own, opening a garage at Edison, Washington. Three years later he sold the business and in 1923 established the Ferndale Garage, of which he has since been the owner. He was the first in this field and has the local agency for the Overland and Willys-Knight cars. He has a fine shop and employs three experienced mechanics. He keeps well informed as to the latest developments in the automobile industry and is one of the most progressive dealers in this part of the county. Mr. Wootton sells a large number of cars annually and displays initiative, mature judgment and executive force in the conduct of his affairs.

    On July 2, 1920, Mr. Wootton married Miss Bernice Barrett, of Ferndale, a daughter of C. H. Barrett, a well known agriculturist of Whatcom county. Mr. Wootton owes allegiance to no party but invariably votes for the man whom he considers best qualified for the office to which he aspires, standing at all times for progress, reform and improvement in public affairs. Along fraternal lines he is connected with the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a typical young business man of the present age - resolute, energetic, aggressive - and his fellow citizens entertain for him high regard, thoroughly appreciating his moral worth.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 453


Worthen, George W.

    No citizen of Lynden township, Whatcom county, enjoys in a larger measure the respect and admiration of his fellow citizens than does George W. Worthen, who by his own unaided efforts worked his way from a modest beginning to a position of independence and influence in the community where he lives. His life has been one of unceasing industry and perseverance and the systematic and honorable methods which he has followed have contributed to his popularity. Mr. Worthen was born in West Charleston, Vermont, in 1862, and is a son of C. F. and Mary L. (Boyd) Worthen, both of whom were natives of New Hampshire, and both of whom are now deceased. They had celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary. The father was a farmer by vocation and had lived in Lynden since 1905. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having served as a private in Company H, Fifteenth Regiment, Vermont Volunteer Infantry. To him and his wife were born the following children, namely: C. W., who was killed in 1901 while at work in a logging camp; George W.; S. W., of Lynden; Alfred, who died in 1902; Edward, who died in 1903; Ethel, who died in 1905; Ralph, who died in 1904; Leona; Viola, who is the wife of George Gustin, of Lynden; and Edith, the wife of Irving Kimball, now living in New York state.

    George W. Worthen attended the public schools of his native town and remained on the home farm until he was twenty-five years of age. He then came to Whatcom county, arriving here February 12, 1887, and during the first two summers he worked in Lynden, although living with his brother, C. W., in Delta. In the winter after his arrival he returned to Vermont, intending to stay there, but soon changed his mind and came back here in 1888 with his brother, S. W. Worthen. In the fall of that year he again returned to his eastern home, remaining there until September, 1890, when he once more came to Whatcom county and bought sixty acres of land in Delta, later also buying twenty acres adjoining his first purchase, the land having been a part of the C. W. Worthen homestead. Timber, brush and swamp characterized this land, but he immediately went to work to clear the tract and to ditch and drain it. The land was extremely wet and soft and the first ditch was a small one, dug by hand. Later the main ditch was put through the property and named the Worthen ditch and was officially entitled county ditch No. 1. Some idea of the density of the brush in this locality may be gathered from the fact that three men, after slashing one day along a one mile stretch, found it easier to go home by a round-about way than to return through the brush. Bears, deer and some beavers were seen in those days, the deer often grazing with the cattle in the fields. Hay grew well on the cleared land, but Mr. Worthen often cut hay when standing ankle deep in water, and had to remove the hay by hand, the ground being too soft to sustain oxen. Indeed, the condition of the soil was such that a long pole could be thrust its full length, into the ground by hand.

    Mr. Worthen made many permanent and substantial improvements on his place and also bought eighty acres more adjoining, but sold this tract in 1910. In that same year he moved to Lynden village and bought one hundred and sixty acres in this township. The land was encumbered with brush and stumps, a large part of which is now slashed and is used for pasture, one hundred head of young cattle being pastured there last year. The tract is all ditched and fenced. The land is soft but has good natural drainage. During the years since he came to this locality Mr. Worthen has contributed many days of work on the roads and ditches of the community. After his marriage he lived on his brother's place for a few years and then built a good house on his own land, residing there until moving into Lynden. During the first two years after coming here he and his brother, C. W., did some contracting and carpenter work, and he states that he helped to clear off what is now a part of the Lynden townsite.

    In 1893 Mr. Worthen was married to Miss Trina M. Tobiassen, who was born in Iowa, a daughter of A. and Torie (Andersen) Tobiassen, both of whom were natives of Norway. The father came to the United States in 1864, locating in Iowa, where he remained until 1885, when he and a son came to Delta, Whatcom county, at which time the mother and her daughter Trina and a son went to Nebraska and took up a homestead, filing preemption and tree claims. Mrs. Worthen came to Whatcom county in 1890. To her belongs the distinction of having been the first graduate from Wilson's Business College, in Lynden, which was the first commercial school in Whatcom county. To Mr. and Mrs. Worthen have been born six children, namely: Minnie M., who is the wife of Dr. Walter Muenscher, who is a member of the faculty of Cornell University, and has three children; Howard O., of Delta, who is married and has two children; Elsie, who is a graduate student at Cornell University; Julia, who died in infancy; one unnamed, who died in infancy; and Mary, who is a student in the State Agricultural College, at Pullman.

    Mr. Worthen has long taken an active and effective part in local public affairs, having served for several terms on the election board while living in Delta and was a member of the election board in Lynden from 1910 to 1923. He has been a persistent booster for the Lynden fair and was a member of the board of directors of the old Lynden Creamery. He has been deeply interested in educational affairs and for many years rendered appreciated service as a member of the school board at Delta. He was a member of the Grange. Mr. Worthen retains many interesting recollections of the early days here and possesses three valuable and interesting photographs of scenes in Lynden in 1888-89. He was a passenger on the first mail stage that made the trip through from Bellingham to Lynden. They started from Bellingham before daylight and, traveling by way of Ten Mile, reached Everson about dusk. If all the recollections of these old pioneers could be collected into one volume for permanent preservation, what a wealth of early history would be preserved for later generations. Mr. Worthen has done his full part in the reclamation of the wilderness in Whatcom county and his efforts have not been in vain. He is now comfortably situated and is in a position to enjoy the leisure to which his former years of toil entitle him. Because of his record, his splendid personal character and his genial disposition, he is held in high esteem throughout the community.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 290-291


Worthen, Howard O.

    A native son of Whatcom county is Howard O. Worthen, who enjoys distinctive prestige among the citizens of Delta township, where he has achieved success as a farmer and an enviable standing as a citizen. He is the representative of one of the old families, the several members of which have performed their full share in the development and upbuilding of their community. Mr. Worthen was born in Lynden, February 7, 1896, and is a son of George W. and Trina (Tobiasen) Worthen, the former born in Vermont and the latter in Nebraska. They came to Lynden, Whatcom county, about 1885 and bought eighty acres of land four miles northwest of Lynden, which they cleared and then cultivated until 1910, when it was sold and the father then bought one hundred and sixty acres six miles north of Lynden. He cleared the tract of the brush and now runs cattle on the place, which is well adapted to that purpose. He now lives in a nice home which he bought in Lynden in 1910. He has been an eye witness of many changes in this locality since he first came here and can tell many tales of the hardships and uncomfortable experiences of those early days. Too him and his wife were born four children, namely: Mrs. Minnie Meunscher, who lives in Ithaca, New York; Howard O.; Elsie, who is now a student in college at Ithaca, New York; and Mary, who is a student in the State Agricultural College at Pullman, Washington.

    Howard O. Worthen received his education in the Sunshine school and the high school at Lynden, after which he had two years in the State Agricultural College. He was at home until October, 1917, when he enlisted in the United States Marines, and was first stationed at Mare Island navy yard, drilling recruits, being later stationed at Quantico, Virginia, until he received his honorable discharge in February, 1919. He then located on eighteen acres of land in Lynden township, where he remained until 1924, when he moved onto the ranch that he had leased from his uncle, Theo Tobiasson, comprising eighty acres, four and a half miles northwest of Lynden, in addition to which he bought eighty acres adjoining, twenty acres of the land being cleared. He is an alert and energetic farmer and is already achieving pronounced success in the management of the two tracts. He keeps twenty good grade cows and a pure bred bull, and a few hogs. He raises large crops of hay and feeds practically all his crops. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association, as well as the Grange. He takes a commendable interest in local public affairs, being a strong friend of the public schools and an earnest advocate of good roads, both of which he considers prime essentials to an enlightened and progressive community.

    On May 29, 1918, Mr. Worthen was married to Miss Verna Boggs, a native of Kentucky and the daughter of Hugh and Mary (Steele) Boggs, the latter dying when Mrs. Worthen was a baby. Mr. and Mrs. Worthen are the parents of two children, Marjory, born December 20, 1920, and Elaine, June 26, 1923. Mr. and Mrs. Worthen are genial and companionable and move in the best social circles of the community, in which they enjoy marked popularity.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 820-821


Worthen, S. W.

    None of the states of the Union can boast of a more heroic band of pioneers than those who came to and settled Washington, and particularly Whatcom county. In loyality, intelligence and capacity they have had no superiors. Many of them came from the New England states and in their daring, perseverance and accomplishments they have been the equal of those who settled Missouri and California, their hardships, privations and earnest labors contributing to the establishment of one of the foremost commonwealths in America. Among this band of early settlers was S. W. Worthen, whose splendid ranch is located in Lynden township, where for many years he has been numbered among the progressive and prosperous citizens of the community. He was born in Orleans county, Vermont, in 1869, and is a son of C. F. and Mary L. (Boyd) Worthen, both of whom were natives of New Hampshire and are now deceased. They had celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary. The father followed the vocation of farming and lived in Lynden since 1905. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having served as a private in Company H, Fifteenth Regiment, Vermont Volunteer Infantry. To him and his wife were born the following children: C. W., who was killed in 1901 while at work in a logging camp; George W., who is mentioned in a personal sketch elsewhere in this work; S. W., the subject of this sketch; Alfred, who died in 1902; Edward, who died in 1903; Ethel, who died in 1905; Ralph, who died in 1904; Leona; Viola, who is the wife of George Gustin, of Lynden; and Edith.

    S. W. Worthen secured his education in the public schools of Vermont and then worked at various employments until February, 1888, when he came to Whatcom county with his brother, G. W. For a time he worked in logging camps, cut shingle bolts and did other work and also bought much timber, which he cut and delivered along the Nooksack river. He cut many thousand logs which he floated down the river and delivered at Ferndale for from three dollars to three dollars and a half a thousand. In 1894 Mr. Worthen bought twenty acres of land, the nucleus of his present farm, and to this he added from time to time until he is now the owner of one hundred and ninety acres of good land. He has cleared fifty acres, forty acres more are cleared excepting for the stumps, and the remainder is devoted to pasturage. He also rents eighty acres adjoining for pasturage purposes. Mr. Worthen called Lynden his home until 1912, since which time he has lived on his farm. A radical transformation has taken place here since he first came, the wilderness then having been practically undisturbed, with wild animals roaming at will. Mr. Worthen was a member of a hunting party which killed eight bears and three deer in one week. A vast amount of hard labor was required to get the land in shape for cultivation, for in addition to the removal of the timber it was necessary to drain much of the lower lying land. The size of some of the forest giants may be appreciated from the statement that Mr. Worthen cut eight cords of shingle bolts from one cedar tree hat had been left by loggers. Mr. Worthen has been devoting his attention mainly to dairy farming, milking thirty-five cows, and also keeps a registered sire. He has about eighty head of cattle altogether, and keeps about fifty sheep, with registered bucks. He raises splendid crops of hay, oats and barley, so that he is under the necessity of buying very little feed. He is thoroughly practical and up-to-date in all his operations and does thoroughly and well whatever he undertakes, enjoying a high reputation throughout his community as an enterprising and progressive farmer.

    In 1903, in East Charleston, Vermont, Mr. Worthen was married to Miss Blanche Beede, who was born in New Hampshire and whom he had known there. She is the daughter of Aaron and Mary (McGaffey) Beede, both lifelong residents of New Hampshire, where they passed away. To Mr. and Mrs. Worthen were born seven children, namely: Alfred, who is married and lives at Lynden; Neal, who is married and lives on the home place; and Annie, Hugh, Leona, Mildred and Wilson. Mr. Worthen is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and the Whatcom County Poultry Association, while fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Woodmen of the World and the Grange. He formerly served as supervisor of his township and has long taken an active interest in local public affairs, cooperating in all movements for the upbuilding of the community and the advancement of the public welfare. He is a man of sterling character, upright in all his business transactions and straightforward in all his relations with his fellowmen.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 293-294


Wright, Ellen M. & Jennie D.

    Miss Ellen M. Wright, a member of Whatcom county's present efficient teaching staff, and Miss Jennie D. Wright, one of Bellingham's well known business women, reside at No. 2300 G street, that city. The two sisters are natives of Wisconsin, born in Pepin county in the west central portion of the state, and are daughters of Joseph and Ellen (Dale) Wright, natives of Ireland, the former the son of a clergyman of the established church of England, and the latter a daughter of a Belfast linen manufacturer.

    The parents were married in Ireland, having one child that died in infancy there. They then removed to Canada, remaining there one year, where a second child, a son, was born. In 1857 they removed to Pepin county, Wisconsin, where this second child died soon after their arrival. Four children - John Nash, in Wenatchee, Washington, Joseph Robert, deceased, and Ellen M. and Jennie D., were born in Wisconsin. Joseph Robert left a widow and three sons, one son now being on the board of the court of appeals of the Veterans Bureau in Washington, D. C.; one a lawyer with a law firm in New York city, and one a student in the George Washington University.

    Reared in the city of Luverne, Minnesota, to which place her parents had moved, Ellen M. Wright was given the advantage of a good education in the public schools, completing her schooling in Hamlin University, from which institution she was graduated, after which she taught in the high school of Tracy, Minnesota, for one and a half years, when she was elected county superintendent of schools of Rock county, Minnesota, holding this office for twelve years. Upon coming to Washington she took postgraduate work in the State University and summer work in the State Normal School at Bellingham, and taught in the Edison high school until 1918. She then spent two years in high school work east of the mountains and then became connected with the teaching staff of the Whatcom county schools.

    Miss Jennie D. Wright was educated in the schools of Wisconsin and Minnesota and also engaged in the teaching profession, beginning her work in the schools of Minnesota, teaching there until 1912, when the two sisters came to Washington. Miss Jennie D. Wright's first engagement in teaching service in Washington was in the schools of Nooksack. Two years later, in 1914, she went to Edison, where she taught domestic science in the schools of that place. In 1915 she came to Bellingham and took up local work as corsetiere for the Spirella Company, Inc., in which work she has since been engaged.

    Both sisters are members of the Garden Street Methodist Episcopal church and are affiliated with the missionary societies, both foreign and home, of that congregation. Miss Ellen M. Wright is a past president of the Whatcom County Woman's Christian Temperance Union.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 674-675


Wuscher, Herman

    Herman Wuscher was born in the little mountain republic of Switzerland in 1843 and was reared and educated there. In 1875 he emigrated to the United States, locating in Illinois, where he remained for about five years. In 1880 he came to Whatcom county, Washington, and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in Lawrence township. The land was at that time densely covered with heavy timber and brush, the removal of which required a prodigious amount of hard work, but, with a vision of the future, he bravely set himself to the task of creating a homestead out of the wilderness. He built a small log house and in the course of time had a fine tract of land under cultivation and found himself in prosperous circumstances, having over sixty acres cleared at the time of his death, which occurred in August, 1921. He was a man of sturdy qualities of character, quiet  and unassuming in manner but self-reliant and independent, and through the years of his residence here he steadily grew in the esteem of all who knew him. To him and his wife were born five children, namely: Mrs. Maud Palmer, deceased; Mrs. Grace Bayes; Everett, who lives on twenty acres of the old home farm; Jack, who lives at Hamilton, Washington; and Jennie, who lives in Seattle, Washington.

    Grace Wuscher was married in 1906 to Loren C. Bayes, who is a native of Michigan and a son of Sylvester and Anna Bayes, both of whom are deceased. Loren Bayes came to Washington in 1890 with his parents, who located in Whatcom county, where the father followed his trade, that of blacksmith, up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1916. His wife passed away in 1909. They were the parents of six children, namely: Joseph, deceased, Nettie, Loren C., Pearl, John and Cecil. Mr. and Mrs. Bayes own forty acres of the old Wuscher homestead and also lease twenty acres from Mrs. Bayes' sister, and on this land Mr. Bayes has successfully farmed, raising the crops common to this locality, hay and grain being his principal crops. He also keeps six good milk cows. He is a blacksmith by trade, which vocation he follows at Glacier, Whatcom county, Mrs. Bayes directing the operations of the farm. They are the parents of five children, namely: Clayton, born October 2, 1907; Lois born April 6, 1909; Beulah, born August 2, 1912; Celia, born March 20, 1914; and Herschel, born August 17, 1918. All of the children were born in Washington excepting Herschel, who was born in Fullerton, California.

    Mr. Bayes is a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's Association and takes an active interest in everything affecting the welfare and prosperity of the community. Fraternally he is a member of Nooksack Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is a past master; Nooksack Camp, Modern Woodmen of America, and Nooksack Lodge, Brotherhood of American Yeomen. He is a man of splendid personal qualities, steady, industrious and dependable, and has long enjoyed an enviable standing in the confidence and good will of the community in which he lives. Mrs. Bayes has ably seconded him in all of his affairs, possessing sound judgment in practical matters. She is deeply interested in the civic affairs of the community and is a popular member of the circles in which she moves.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 308-09


Wynn, Harry P.

    Among the men of prominence and influence in Whatcom county who have the interest of their locality at heart and who have led consistent lives, thereby gaining definite success along their chosen lines, is Harry P. Wynn, whose fine farm is located near Ferndale. He has long been regarded as one of the county's most progressive agriculturists and public-spirited citizens and stands deservedly high in the opinion of his fellow citizens. Mr. Wynn is a native of Washington and was born at Bellingham on the 9th of October, 1866, a son of Thomas and Jane Wynn. The father was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he lived until 1849, when he went to San Francisco, California. He remained there until 1852, and then came to Whatcom county. For a time he was employed in coal mines but eventually located on a tract of land in Ferndale township which he homesteaded. At the same time an old schoolmate of his, Harry A. Post, homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres adjoining. Mr. Post died in 1897. Mr. Wynn continued to live there until his death, which occurred in 1896, and he was survived for a number of years by his widow. He was the first sheriff of Whatcom county and took an active part in the early efforts to improve the county, having been an earnest advocate of good roads and a strong supporter of the schools. He became a prominent and successful farmer, keeping a fine grade of cattle, and his farm was well improved and cultivated. To him and his wife were born six children, namely: Marshall, deceased; Annie Maria, who is the wife of Thomas Oxford, a farmer of this locality; Thomas B., who resides on the old home farm; Harry P., the subject of this sketch; Julia, the wife of Walter Smith, a farmer in Ferndale township; and Sallie S., the wife of Frank Van de Mark, also a farmer in Ferndale township.

    Harry P. Wynn supplemented his attendance at the public schools by a course in a business college in Seattle. He was reared to the life of a farmer and has always followed that occupation, in which he has met with a very gratifying measure of success. He is the owner of ninety-two acres of good land, well improved and cared for in every respect. He keeps a good dairy and has a fine bearing orchard, and his home is comfortable and attractive. He has been progressive in tendency and to him belongs the distinction of having one of the first threshing machines in Whatcom county, with which he has done threshing for farmers practically all over the county.

    In 1900 Mr. Wynn was married to Miss Blanche B. Getchell, a daughter of Dennis and Emily (Styles) Getchell, early settlers in this locality. The father, who is now deceased, was long engaged in farming and gained a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens. To Mr. and Mrs. Wynn have been born two children; Noel H., a teacher by vocation, who is married and lives in Seattle; and Hubert, who remains at home. Politically Mr. Wynn is a stanch republican and has long been active in local public affairs. He has held the office of township assessor for the past eighteen years and served one term as a member of the school board. He is a member of the Grange and cooperates with his fellow agriculturists in all movements calculated to advance the general welfare of the locality. He possesses a friendly and pleasant disposition and enjoys marked popularity.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 435-436


Wyatt, Charles A.
Charles A. Wyatt, who is engaged in real estate dealing in Whatcom, was born July 22, 1870, in Talladega, Alabama, and is a son of James I. and Polly (Lackey) Wyatt. The father was born on the Emerald Isle of an old family of Ireland. After coming to America he took up his abode in the south and became interested in the Clifton Iron Works near Talladega, in which city he makes his home. His wife was born in Alabama and is descended from good old Revolutionary stock. Her ancestors have resided in this country for much more than a century. She had a brother who was shot during the Civil war. Mrs. Wyatt passed away in 1872, leaving two sons, the brother of our subject being George W., who is now a mine-owner in Alabama.
Charles A. Wyatt obtained his early education in the public schools of his native state, and when thirteen years of age he went to Texas in the employ of a cattle breeder named W. Lane, for whom he worked four years. On the expiration of that period he removed to Arizona, where he was engaged in the same business for more than a year. His next place of residence was Los Angeles, California, and in that locality he had charge of the Sentinela ranch for W. L. Vail, with whom he remained until 1889, when he came to Whatcom. Here he secured employment in the sawmill of Hill & Wilbur, setting blocks. At the same time he took up some land, and later purchased the tug Reggie on Lake Whatcom. He ran that until it was destroyed by fire in 1894. Mr. Wyatt then went to the Midwinter Fair in San Francisco and after a short stay in that city proceeded to Los Angeles, where he established a grocery store, conducting it until 1899. In that year he sold out and went to Ontario, California, where he again engaged in the grocery business in partnership with A. C. Grube. He next located at Cripple Creek, Colorado, going there at the time of the big boom, but he could not stand the climate, and removed to Enid, Oklahoma, and afterward to Kansas City, Missouri. When he had spent a few weeks in the latter place he returned to this place and secured a position in the department store owned by A. Mansfield, with whom he remained for a year. His next connection was with Tom Reed in the grocery business, and he then made a prospecting trip to Mount Baker. Mr. Wyatt established the first saloon at Deming, but after a year disposed of that business and again went to Los Angeles, where he conducted a cigar store until the 15th of March, 1901. He then sold out and purchased a merry-go-round, which he brought to Whatcom. After conducting it for a time he became a real estate operator, forming a partnership with C. T. Likins.
On the 7th of March, 1894, Mr. Wyatt was united in marriage to Miss Maggie L. Brisbin, a daughter of Jeremiah Brisbin, one of the pioneer settlers of Whatcom. She was born in Franklin, Nebraska, and her ancestry has been closely connected with this country for many generations, but was of Irish descent. Her father served throughout the Civil war as a loyal defender of the Union. To Mr. and Mrs. Wyatt has been born a son, Willie Wynn.
In his political views Mr. Wyatt is a Republican and keeps well informed on the issues of the day and takes an active interest in the work of the party. He is now connected with the Whatcom-Lynden Electric Railroad Company, of which he was one of the organizers. This company formed in order to build an electric railroad which will, when completed, be twenty-five miles in length, extending from Whatcom through Lynden to Blaine, and will cost three hundred thousand dollars.
A History of the Puget Sound Country Volume 1, Col. William F. Prosser, pub. 1903

Wynn, Thomas B.

    Thomas B. Wynn is widely known as one of the honored citizens of Ferndale township, where he has for many years been actively identified with the agricultural interests. His well directed efforts in the practical affairs of life, his capable management of his business interests and his sound judgment have brought him well deserved prosperity, and no man in this locality stands higher in public esteem. Mr. Wynn was born in Whatcom county on the 16th of November, 1862, and is a son of Thomas and Jane (Styles) Wynn, the latter of whom was a native of this state.

    The father was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 3, 1819, and was reared and educated in his native city and in 1849 came to the Pacific coast, locating first in California, where he lived until 1852. He then came to Whatcom county and filed on land on Whidbey island, and after living there for a short time he returned to the mainland and obtained employment at his trade, that of a blacksmith, at the coal mines. He filed on two hundred and forty acres of land, located about a quarter of a mile from the city limits of Ferndale. Mr. Wynn was the second postmaster of Trudder (now Ferndale), serving for two years, and he then moved onto his farm, which he cleared and put under cultivation. He created a splendid place and lived there during the remaining years of his life, his death occurring November 11, 1896. His wife died there in September, 1916. Mr. Wynn was sheriff of Whatcom county at one time and was prominent and active in his support of all measures for local improvement. He was especially strong in his advocacy of good roads and schools, and he took a keen interest in the Grange, of which he was a member. To him and his wife were born six children, namely: Marshall, deceased; Annie Maria, who is the wife of Thomas Oxford, farming in this township; Julia, the wife of Walter Smith, a farmer in Ferndale township; and Sallie S., the wife of Frank Van de Mark, also a farmer in Ferndale township.

    Thomas B. Wynn received a good education, attending the public schools and an academy at Anacortes, in addition to which he had a year's work a the University of Washington. He then returned to the home farm and is now engaged in farming his portion of the ranch, amounting to ninety acres. He is up-to-date and methodical in his operations and has achieved splendid success. Mr. Wynn carried on a general line of farming, keeping also a fine flock of chickens and an excellent herd of dairy cattle. He maintains his place in a splendid condition, all of the improvements being of a permanent and substantial character, and he has long been considered one of the best farmers in the township.

    On March 25, 1896, Mr. Wynn was married to Miss Ida Wheeler, a daughter of J. D. and Forbina (Hicks) Wheeler, the former of whom was a native of New York state and the latter of Canada. Mr. Wheeler came to Washington in 1883 and settled at Ferndale, where he conducted a general mercantile business for a number of years and also served as postmaster for eight years. He finally retired and moved to Bellingham, where his death occurred in 1901. His widow is now living on the old home farm. They were the parents of six children, namely: Mrs. Ida Wynn, Mrs. Edith Tawes, Mrs. Maude Slater, Mrs. Belle Wampler, deceased, Mrs. Grace Hanlon, and Oliver, deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Wynn have been born the following children: Vivian, who is a graduate of the State Normal School and the State University and is now a teacher by profession; Ardis, who also received a normal school and university education; Thomas, who is a graduate of the normal school and is now a student in the university; H. Preston, who is a graduate of the high school; and Theda and Dorothea, who are students in high school. Fraternally Mr. Wynn is a member of Ferndale Lodge No. 141, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and, with his wife, belongs to the Daughters of Rebekah. Both are members of the Grange, as are their two youngest daughters. Mr. Wynn has served as justice of the peace continuously since the organization of Ferndale township, in 1914. He possesses stanch qualities of character, is a good business man and is energetic in his labors, while his genial and friendly manner has gained for him a host of warm friends throughout the community.

History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 430-435


 BACK-- HOME

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site
©Genealogy Trails