Yates, Mrs. Minnie (Follett) Hardan
Mrs. Minnie Hardan Yates, of Ferndale township, was born near Waterloo, Iowa, and is a daughter of David E. Follett, who was descended from an old French family, the name having been originally spelled LaFollette. He was born in New York state, June 8, 1843, and was educated in the public schools of his home neighborhood. He was a veteran of the Civil war, in which he was wounded, and after the close of that conflict went to Iowa and settled on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres near Waterloo. He carried on farming operations there until April, 1874, when he came to Whatcom county, and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres of heavily timbered land. He applied himself to clearing this place, which was located in what is now Mountain View township, and his early farming operations were carried on with oxen. He was prosperous and owned sixteen head of cattle. He lived there about nine years and then moved to Ferndale, where he spent his remaining years, his death occurring November 28, 1919, in the seventy-seventh year of his age. He was the father of nine children, the three eldest being born in Iowa, and the others in Washington. They were, Minnie, Orson, (who died in infancy), Elver E., Luella, Walter, Edward, Ethel, Leon and Clyde.
Minnie Follett received her educational training in the Mountain View school and remained at home until her marriage, on December 24, 1885, to Johnny Hardan, who was born in Sioux City, Iowa, and came to Washington with his parents April 2, 1874. His father took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres near Ferndale, and operated that farm for many years, his death occurring at North Bellingham in 1900. To Mr. and Mrs. Harden were born four children: Loy W., who lives at Seattle, Washington, married Miss Beulah Ungent and thy have three children, Loyalle, Elver and Norma; Lester D. married Miss Hazel Burnett and they have four children, Vera J., Jack, Rita, and Roy; Merl married Miss Anna Hansen and they have three children, Billie, Lorena and Annetta; Vernon J. was married to Miss Ruth Compton and they have a son, Johnny. Mr. Hardan died April 6, 1915, and in January, 1919, Mrs. Hardan became the wife of H. Yates, a native of West Virginia, who came to Washington in 1905. In 1893 Mr. Hardan had bought ten acres of land on the highway near Ferndale, to which he later added until at the time of his death he owned ninety-two acres of land, which has since been divided, sixty acres of the farm going to the children, who are living on their portion of the estate. Mrs. Yates now farms thirty acres of the place, raising diversified crops, and also gives considerable attention to her fine greenhouse, in which she produces many fine flowers and potted plants. She keeps seven cows and some chickens and is very comfortably and pleasantly situated. She possesses a forceful personality, is a woman of decided opinions, and is deeply interested in everything relating to the welfare or prosperity of her community. Her home is always noted for hospitable spirit and she is a very popular member of the circles in which she moves.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pgs. 818-819
Young, Mrs. Margaret C. (Smith)
Mrs. Margaret C. Young is a well known dressmaker of Bellingham, where she has successfully plied her art for the past thirty-six years. She is a native daughter of Illinois. Her father, James A. Smith, who was born in England, emigrated to the United States in boyhood and was married in Illinois. In the year 1849 he crossed the plains to California by ox team but after spending about two years in the Golden state returned east and during the remainder of his life resided in Illinois.
Margaret C. Smith spent the period of her early childhood in Illinois and her girlhood days in Iowa, while subsequently she removed to Nebraska. It was in 1882 that she became the wife of Thomas Young, who was born in Chicago, Illinois. The couple resided in Iowa for some time after their marriage and thence traveled westward across the continent to Whatcom county, Washington, taking up their permanent abode at Bellingham in 1890. Thomas Young followed the profession of civil engineering at Whatcom in partnership with Henry Marble for a number of years and thereafter was engaged in field work up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1923. His widow, who had learned dressmaking as a young woman, has busied herself in that occupation ever since coming to Bellingham and has gained an enviable and well merited reputation for style and skill in needlework.
Mr. and Mrs. Young became the parents of two daughters and a son, namely: Mrs. E. H. Hatch, who resides in Seattle and is the mother of two children; Edward L., living at Bellingham, and Doris, who is at home with her widowed mother. All of the above named were educated in the Bellingham schools. Mr. Young was fraternally affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and his widow became one of the charter members of the local organization of Rebekahs. The latter is a deep student of metaphysical laws, and she has won many warm friends during the years of her residence at Bellingham.
History of Whatcom County Volume 2, Lottie Roeder Roth, pub. 1926, pg. 666