3rd Wisconsin
Infantry Regiment


Battles involving 3rd Infantry
Assignments for 3rd Infantry

- Organized on Jun 29 1861 at Camp Hamilton, Fond du Lac, WI
- Enlistment term: 3 years
- Mustered out on Jul 18 1865 at Madison, WI

Available statistics for total numbers of men listed as:
- Enlisted or commissioned: 1714
- Drafted: 292
- Transferred in: 892
- Killed or died of wounds (Officers): 9
- Killed or died of wounds (Enlisted men): 158
- Died of disease (Officers): 2
- Died of disease (Enlisted men): 113
- Prisoner of war: 133
- Died while prisoner of war: 6
- Disabled: 325
- Missing: 2
- Deserted: 48
- Discharged: 288
- Mustered out: 1842
- Transferred out: 70

Historical notes and Reports:

Third Infantry WISCONSIN

Third Infantry. -- Cols., Charles S. Hamilton, Thomas H. Ruger William Hawley; Lieut.-Cols., Thomas H. Ruger, Bertine Pinkney Louis H. D. Crane, William Hawley, John W. Scott, Martin Flood, George W. Stevenson; Majs., Edwin L. Hubbard, Bertine Pinkney Louis H. D. Crane, John W. Scott, William Hawley, Warham Parks.

This regiment was organized in June, 1861, with a numerical strength of 979. It was mustered in June 29 and left the state July 12.

It surrounded Frederick, Md., and arrested the ''bogus'' legislature; drove a superior force from Bolivar; was detailed as provost guard at Frederick in December, was attached to the 2nd brigade of Gen. Banks' army corps in Feb. 1862.

It took part in the advance on Manassas; acted as rear-guard in the retreat at Winchester; took part in the battle of Winchester the following day; fought at Cedar Mountain, eliciting high praise; was at Antietam, where of 335 men engaged 27 were killed and 171 wounded; over one-half of it was at Chancellorsville where it lost heavily.

It took a prominent part at Brandy Station; was at Gettysburg; aided in the preservation of order in New York City during the draft riots; did guard duty in Tennessee; took part in the engagements: at Resaca, Marietta, Pine knob, Kennesaw mountain, Peachtree Creek.

It accompanied the victorious army in its march to the sea and to Richmond, participated in the grand review at Washington, and was mustered out at Louisville, Ky., July 18, 1865.

The total enrollment of the regiment was 2,156; loss by death, 247; missing, 5; desertion, 51; transfer 98; discharged, 945; mustered out, 810.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 4

Antietam after battle report:

Report of Col. Thomas H. Ruger, Third Wisconsin Infantry, of the battle of Antietam.

HDQRS. THIRD REGIMENT WISCONSIN VOLUNTEERS, Camp near Sandy Hook, Md., September 22, 1862.

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following brief report of the part taken by the Third Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers in the battle fought near Sharpsburg, Md., on the 17th day of September, 1862:

The regiment arrived at the position assigned it, in company with other regiments of the brigade, between the hours of 6 and 7 a.m. The particular place occupied by the regiment was a knoll overlooking a corn-field, from which, as the brigade arrived, the enemy were driving our troops, belonging to some other brigade. The regiment suffered somewhat before the corn-field was sufficiently clear of our own troops to render it safe to fire. The fire of the enemy was returned with steadiness and spirit for a long time, until the ammunition in the boxes became nearly exhausted, and in some cases quite so. At one time the enemy had succeeded in advancing to within about 100 yards, at which point he became exposed to a cross-fire from the Second Massachusetts Volunteers, on my right. The combined fire of the regiments of the brigade particularly engaged at the point referred to-the Second Massachusetts, Twenty-seventh Indiana, and Third Wisconsin-drove the enemy rapidly our of the corn-field and into the woods. At this time an advance was ordered, and was being executed, with bayonets fixed, for the purpose of charging. Before any considerable distance was made, however, the corps of Gen. Sumner came upon the field in two or three lines, which were perpendicular, or nearly so, to our line, which compelled a halt of our line. Very soon the troops, or some portion of them, that had passed and gone into the woods into which the enemy had been driven from the corn-field, come back in some disorder.

The regiment, with others of the brigade, was now placed by a change of front in position to support a battery, covering the retreat of the troops driven back from the woods. During the remainder of the day the regiment, with others of the brigade, continued in position as support to batteries, being exposed at times to the fire of the enemy's shells. The total number carried into action was, officers and men, about 340. The loss in killed, wounded, and missing was 198. I regret to report that most of the officers wounded were so severely wounded as to prevent return to duty for some time. Out of 12 officers with the regiment during the action, but 4 escaped untouched.

Accompanying is a list of killed, wounded, and missing.* It has been impossible in many cases to ascertain the character of the wounds.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Col., Commanding Third Wisconsin Volunteers.

Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Third Brigade.

Source: Official Records: Series I. Vol. 19. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 27

Chancellorsville, VA after battle report:

No. 278.

Report of Col. William Hawley, Third Wisconsin Infantry.


GEN.: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by my command in the operations since April 27, ultimo:

Having crossed the Rappahannock on the morning of the 29th ultimo, your brigade being in advance and having met a body of the enemy, I was ordered by you, sir, to deploy, with my right resting on the road over which our column moved. Our cavalry in advance having dispersed the enemy, we advanced in line, with one company thrown forward as skirmishers; encountered no opposition until we approached the Rapidan, at Germanna Ford. Here a show of resistance was made. By your order, I deployed six companies of my regiment as skirmishers, right resting on the road. My left first reached the river; exchanged a few shots with the enemy, with no loss to us, but killing 1 and wounding 3 of the enemy.

Finding that he could not retreat from his position without exposure to a deadly fire from my skirmishers, the enemy surrendered, 1 captain and 23 men giving themselves up to me.

On the 1st instant, in the demonstration made by our forces upon the enemy's works near Chancellorsville, I deployed into line, throwing forward a company as skirmishers, but retired, by your order, before coming into actual contact with the enemy.

On the same day I saw ordered by you, sir, to take position as outpost or picket, covering your brigade. Scarcely had I gotten into position before the enemy approached in front, disclosing to my view three regiments and a battery of artillery. Hastily throwing up a breastwork of rails, I waited their attack, throwing forward skirmishers to apprise me of their advance. A spirited skirmish ensued, lasting for an hour, in which Lieut. Col. John W. Scott, of this regiment, a brave officer, was killed. The force of the enemy's attack was made upon the regiment on my left, which regiment gave way. Finding my left exposed, I fell back to a new position, covering the brigade, when, by your order, I threw up a breastwork of rails.

On the afternoon of the 2d, by your order, seven companies of my command were deployed as skirmishers in front of the brigade, in an advance upon the enemy. Knapsacks were left, by your order. On returning from this expedition, it was found that the enemy, having forced in our right, were in possession of the ground where our knapsacks had been left. Thus were lost the knapsacks, shelter-tents, change of clothing, rations of the men, and most of the bedding of the officers.

On the night of the 2d, in the position where you had placed me, loud shouting and crashing of the brush in my front apprised me of the approach of the enemy. Soon a volley of bullets whistled over our heads, upon which I opened a brisk fire upon the advancing enemy. The affair continued for about half an hour. My loss was 1 killed and 3 wounded.

I deem it proper to remark here that two or three companies of the Thirteenth New Jersey, being in line about 30 paces in my rear, opened a fire also, from which I suffered. Being exposed to their fire as well as that of the enemy, there companies of my right were compelled to give, way, but immediately rallied and returned to position as soon as the fire in the rear had been stopped.

On the morning of the 3d instant, at daybreak, the enemy made a spirited attack along our line. Awaiting until he came within sight and range, I opened fire upon him, which checked him in my front, and soon compelled him to fall back. Together with the regiments on my right and left, I then advanced, still keeping up a well-directed fire. For nearly three hours my command was thus under a heavy fire, fighting desperately and constantly gaining ground, until the arms of the the men were so foul by frequent firing that they could be loaded but with difficulty. Then I was relieved upon the field, a regiment of another corps taking my position.

I retired from the field in good order and under a galling fire from the enemy's batteries.

On the morning of the 6th instant, while marching from the position the brigade had held toward the bridge, I was ordered by you, sir, to proceed back to the rifle-pits, and there remain until further orders. I marched back, and remained in position until a brigade of the Fifth Corps came to relieve me. As this brigade approached my position, it was ordered back, an aide bringing me the order that all troops on the front should draw in as rapidly as possible. Then, falling back and crossing the river, I hastened on, rejoining the brigade near Hartwood Church.

In conclusion, I cannot speak in too high terms of praise of the manner in which the officers and men of my command have performed the arduous and perilous duties devolving upon them during the late operations of the army. On our marches, rapid and difficult as they were, I have not had a single straggler. With one or two exceptions, my officers have shown that zeal in the advance and that coolness and intrepidity in fight which are the characteristics of the true soldier.

The men have fought coolly, bravely, and with a determination that would have insured decisive victory had it prevailed through the entire army.

My loss in killed, wounded, and missing, of which I herewith forward a list, is as follows:

Officers & men Killed Wounded Missing Total
Officers 2 20 4
Enlisted men 1672 9 97
Total 1874 9 101

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Col., Cmdg. Third Regt. Wisconsin Vols.

Cmdg. Third Brigade.

Source: Official Records Series I. Vol. 25. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 39

Gettysburg after battle report:

Report of Lieut. Col. Martin Flood, Third Wisconsin Infantry.

Camp near Fairfax Court-House, Va., June 16, 1863.

Capt.: I have the honor respectfully to report that pursuant to orders from Brig.-Gen. Ruger, commanding brigade, I marched with the detachment of this division from Stafford Court-House, Va., to the Spotted Tavern on the night of the 6th instant. Arrived there at 1 a. m., and reported to Brig. Gen. A. Ames.

On the 7th instant, by his order, I marched thence at 10 a. m. to Bealeton Station, arriving at 6 p. m.

Marched thence on the 8th instant to near Beverly Ford, on the Rappahannock River.

On the 9th instant, at daybreak, moved by his order across the river and down the road toward Culpeper. Approaching the front, where our cavalry was engaged with that of the enemy, I formed line of battle by his order, and threw forward a company from the Third Wisconsin Regt. and one from the Second Massachusetts as skirmishers. Soon after, by his order, I moved the Third Wisconsin Regt. farther to the right, to cover the interval between Gen. Buford, on the right, and Col. Devin, on our left, leaving, however, the skirmishers already thrown out and two companies of the Second Massachusetts, under command of Maj. Hubbard, of the Third Wisconsin Regt., and the remainder of the Second Massachusetts, immediately under command of Gen. Ames.

The enemy pressing heavily on the left, I was then ordered by Gen. Ames to report to Col. Devin, commanding cavalry on our left. I left one company of the Third Wisconsin and one from the Second Massachusetts (then with me), under command of Capt. Stevenson, Third Wisconsin Volunteers, and proceeded with the remainder of the Third Wisconsin to Col. Devin. By him I was ordered to move forward of his line of cavalry, and to drive out a force of dismounted cavalry, who were posted in the woods and pouring a deadly fire upon his line. I did so, throwing forward a heavy line of skirmishers, and, advancing cautiously, my skirmishers were soon warmly engaged, and, after a sharp skirmish of about an hour, in which 1 of my men was killed and 12 were wounded, drove the enemy from his cover, leaving a number of his dead and wounded on the field.

Meanwhile the force left under command of Capt. Stevenson was sent, by order of Gen. Ames, to Gen. Buford, on the right. By him they were ordered to dislodge a force of dismounted cavalry of the enemy, who were advantageously posted behind a stone wall in such position that they had repulsed several charges of our cavalry. By a circuitous movement they gained the same side of the wall with the enemy, moved immediately upon them under cover of a little rise of ground, and opened a deadly enfilading fire upon them. After replying impetuously for some minutes, the rebel force, several hundred strong, fled in confusion, leaving a number of dead and wounded on the field greater than that of the force which had thus driven them. Ten prisoners were also captured. I was then ordered to advance by Col. Devin, and during the remainder of the day supported a battery near, on our left.

At about 5 p. m. my command was assembled, and was ordered to retire. Recrossed the river at 6 p. m.; bivouacked near the ford, and on the following morning returned, by order of Gen. Ames, to the camp near Bealeton Station.

On the morning of the 13th instant, I was ordered by Gen. Ames to report to Brig.-Gen. Russell, commanding detachment which had co-operated with Gen. Gregg's cavalry.

On the 14th instant, marched, by his order, to near Brentsville, and encamped.

On the 15th, marched, by his order, to Fairfax Station, and on the 16th instant marched to Fairfax Court-House, Va., reporting to Brig.-Gen. Ruger, commanding brigade.

I cannot speak too highly of the good conduct of the men of this detachment, both upon the march, in which there was no straggling, and in action, where there was no flinching. The officers without exception behaved nobly during the expedition.

I beg leave to make honorable mention of the name of David Agnew, private Company H, Third Wisconsin Volunteers. While skirmishing in front of Col. Devin's cavalry, he advanced beyond our line, saved the life of a comrade, and captured a rebel who was in the act of firing.

I deem it but just also to make honorable mention of John H. Burghardt, Second Massachusetts, who was in charge of the ordnance train of the detachment, for the prompt and faithful manner in which he performed all his duties.

I have the honor to be, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieut.-Col. Third Wisconsin Volunteers.

Capt. S. E. Pittman,
Asst. Adjt. Gen., First Division, Twelfth Corps.

Report of Col. William Hawley, Third Wisconsin Infantry.

Camp near Kelly's Ford, Va., August 4, 1863.

COL.: I have the honor, very respectfully, to forward the following report of the part taken by my command, the Third Regt. Wisconsin Volunteers, in the battle at Gettysburg, Pa., July 2 and 3:

On July 1, my command, included in the Third Brigade, First Division, Twelfth Corps, marched from Littlestown to near Gettysburg, and took supporting position on the right of and to the rear of our general line of battle.

On the morning of the 2d, by your order, sir, I took the position at daylight in line of battle which you assigned me, and threw out a company of skirmishers, who kept up a desultory fire with the skirmishers of the enemy for about two hours, when, by your command, my regiment, with the rest of your command, was withdrawn from that position and marched to the front. The brigade under your command being assigned to the right of our line, I took position, by your order, along the east bank of Rock Creek between the Twenty-seventh Indiana and Second Massachusetts Regt.'s, and proceeded to throw up breastworks of earth and rails, and to throw down such stone walls and fences in my front as might afford cover to the enemy. My position thus strengthened, I rested behind my works until 6 p. m., when, by your order, I marched with the brigade to the left of our line, then the scene of action, and there took the assigned position in line of battle.

Darkness coming on, I received orders from you, sir, to move out as we had marched in, and, following the regiment on my right flank, was marched back to the position which I had spent the day in fortifying, and there rested under arms. It then being ascertained that the enemy had advanced over our breastworks and occupied a rocky, wooded hill on my left, thus enfilading my position and severing our line, by your order I took position perpendicular to my former line, so as to face the enemy's advance in this position, and there lay under arms for the remainder of the night.

At daybreak on the morning of the 3d, I was aroused by a volley from the enemy. By a slight movement of my regiment forward and to the right, I placed it in position, well covered by bushes, rocks, and a hastily erected breastwork of rails, and, by your order, threw forward two companies as skirmishers, instructing them to keep well covered by the rocks and trees, which afforded them shelter from the very accurate fire of the enemy's sharpshooters, who were posted on our right and front.

Relieving these companies from time to time, I kept up a constant fire until about 11 a. m., when, a part of the rebels on my front having surrendered, I was ordered by you, sir, to advance. I moved forward by my left flank, so as to avoid an enfilading fire, advanced into the woods, found the enemy retreating, and pushed forward and reoccupied the breastworks erected on our line the day previous.

Here I remained during the day and succeeding night, my men being engaged in a desultory fire with the enemy's skirmishers and sharpshooters.

Owing to the advantage of position which my command was so fortunate as to occupy during the engagement, the loss sustained was comparatively slight--2 men killed and 1 commissioned officer and 8 men wounded, of which the official lists have heretofore been forwarded.

The number of officers and enlisted men engaged in the battle was 21 officers and 239 enlisted men.

I have the honor, sir, to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Col., Comdg. Third Regt. Wisconsin Volunteers.

Col. S. Colgrove,
Comdg. Third Brig., First Div., Twelfth Army Corps.

Source: Official Records: Series I. Vol. 27. Part I. Reports. Serial No. 43

Report of Col. William Hawley, Third Wisconsin Infantry.


GEN.: In compliance with orders contained in circular of September 6, I have the honor to submit the following detailed report of the operations of the regiment under my command from the commencement of the campaign to the capture and occupation of Atlanta:

On the 28th of April, in compliance with orders from you, sir, I struck tents at Fayetteville, Tenn., and took up my line of march for the front via Tullahoma, arriving at the latter place April 30, and mustering my regiment for pay on the same day. Here I received orders from you to push forward to the front and join the brigade, which had already moved; as soon as possible I accordingly marched from Tullahoma the morning of May 1, and after a march of ninety-five miles joined the brigade at Trickum Post-Office on the 8th. On the morning of the 10th the regiment took up its line of march with the brigade and balance of the army to Snake Creek Gap, sixteen miles, where it remained until the morning of May 13, when the march was again resumed, and the regiment on the same day took a position in front of the enemy at Resaca. Next day moved with the whole corps to the left to support a division of the Fourth Corps. In this movement, although a brisk skirmish was maintained, and the enemy completely foiled in his attempt to turn our left, no casualties occurred. On the morning of the 15th the regiment, with the brigade, moved one mile farther to the left and front, and under your directions took up position in line of battle with the brigade in the following order: Twenty-seventh Indiana on the right, Second Massachusetts, Third Wisconsin, Thirteenth New Jersey, One hundred and fiftieth New York, with the One hundred and seventh New York in reserve, Skirmishers were Immediately thrown out 200 yards in front, who became at once engaged with the enemy. I caused slight works of rails and logs to be thrown up in front of my line on the most exposed points, but before these works could be made defensible, the enemy made a vigorous charge with an entire division, driving in my skirmishers, advancing to within 150 yards of our lines, with an unearthly yell, apparently confident of victory. I reserved my fire until they approached within easy range, and then opened by file causing them to waver, and finally to retire in disorder. At this point, believing that an advance would result in their complete discomfiture, I gave the command to advance, which was obeyed with alacrity and with a cheer. In this advance 40 prisoners were captured, and about 50 rebels were found dead on the field, besides a few mortally wounded. The comparatively light loss of the regiment in this engagement is attributable mainly to the intrenchments hastily thrown up. The following is a report of casualties on that day: Killed--enlisted men, 3. Wounded--commissioned officers, 1; enlisted men, 26. Missing--enlisted men, 1. Total, 31. Of the number wounded 1 commissioned officer and 5 enlisted men have since died, making total mortality 9. The enemy having retired during the night following the battle, on the morning of the 16th the regiment took up its line of march with the balance of the brigade and army, arriving at the Coosawatte River the same day; distance, eight miles. On the morning of the 17th crossed the river, marched eight miles in direction of Calhoun, and bivouacked for the night. May 18, marched eighteen miles in direction of Kingston. May 19, marched six miles to Cassville, skirmishing slightly with the enemy on the road, with no casualties; went into camp near Cassville, where we remained four days. May 23, marched ten miles, crossing the Etowah River the same day. May 24, marched fourteen miles in direction of Marietta. May 25, marched eight miles, where the enemy was met strongly intrenched at the crossing of the Marietta and Dallas and Acworth roads. Here the command was halted and the brigade, under your direction, formed in line of battle and advanced directly on the enemy's works, my regiment occupying the center, with its left resting on the Marietta road. In this hard-fought battle no decided advantage was gained further than learning the position and strength of the enemy, they being well intrenched, with superior numbers and a well chosen position. The officers and men of my regiment fought with a heroism never excelled by any troops, and I take pleasure in saying that in this engagement, as well as in the former one at Resaca, not a single instance of bad conduct came under my personal observation, or has been reported to me since, notwithstanding over one-half of my command consisted of recruits who had never before been hinder fire. My loss in this engagement was as follows: Killed--enlisted men, 14. Wounded--commissioned officers, 5; enlisted men, 92. Total, 111. Of those wounded there have since died 1 commissioned officer and 13 enlisted men, making total killed 28. My regiment remained in position near the battle-field of the 25th until June 1, when I marched four miles to the left, where I went into position in line of battle and remained until June 4 at this time I marched one mile farther to the left. June 5, marched two miles, still to the left. June 6, marched three miles to the left and front. This was a movement of the whole division, in which my regiment had the advance, and skirmished slightly with the enemy during most of the day. Casualties, 1 man wounded. The position now taken up I retained until June 11, when I marched one mile to the left and went into position near Pine Knob, the enemy having abandoned his position near Pine Knob during the night of the 14th. On the 15th our lines were advanced two miles to the front, where the enemy was found in force and strongly intrenched. Late in the evening, under your directions, I went into position in line of battle, on the right of the brigade, and 200 yards from the enemy's works. During the night I caused such works to be thrown up as could be done with the tools and means at hand. My loss in this position was 7 men wounded. During the night of the 16th the enemy fell back, and on the 17th I marched one and a half miles to the front. June 19, marched two miles to the front. June 20, marched two miles to the right.

On the morning of the 21st I was ordered to advance with my regiment to the Powder Springs road. In attempting to do so, I met the enemy at a point one and a half miles from where I started. After skirmishing briskly for some time, deeming it unadvisable with my small force to attempt to advance farther, I fell back a short distance and awaited re-enforcements. The One hundred and seventh New York was sent to my assistance, and on its arrival I again advanced to the point where I first struck the enemy, driving him from the position which he had occupied during my short absence. I held this position until the advance of the corps next day. My casualties were 1 enlisted man killed and 7 wounded. June 22, moved one mile to the right. In the action of this date my regiment was not engaged, my position being near the right of the brigade where the attack of the enemy did not reach. I remained in this position until June 27, when I marched one mile to the left.

July 3, marched three miles to the front. July 4, marched two miles to the right. July 5, marched six miles to the right and front. July 6, marched four miles to the left. In the operations near Kenesaw Mountain, which resulted in enemy falling back from that place and from their position near Marietta, my losses were as follows: Killed--enlisted men, 1. Wounded--enlisted men, 17. Total, 18. Those since died of wounds, 3. I occupied the position taken July 6 until July 17, at which date the corps was again put in motion, marching five miles to the left, and crossing Chattahoochee River. July 18, marched two miles to the front, and, under your directions, went into position in line of battle and built breast-works. July 19, marched three miles to the front, and bivouacked near Peach Tree Creek. July 20, crossed Peach Tree Creek, under fire from a section of artillery which the enemy had placed near the creek some distance above. By your orders I took position in line of battle on the right of the brigade and in rear of a line of works partially built by other troops whom we relieved. I caused the works in front of my regiment to be completed and strengthened. In the action which occurred at this place my regiment was not engaged, except the portion of it upon the skirmish line, although suffering some loss from random shots. My loss was 2 killed and 5 wounded. July 22, the regiment marched with the balance of the brigade and army two miles farther in advance, and took up position in front and in sight of Atlanta, where it remained constantly under fire until August 25, when, with the balance of the brigade and division, it fell back to the railroad bridge at the crossing of the Chattahoochee River. Here, under your directions, I went into position in line of battle near the river, and caused strong works to be built in front of my regiment. On the 28th I was ordered with a small force to make a reconnaissance in the direction of Atlanta. My force consisted of five companies of the Third Wisconsin and one company of the One hundred and seventh New York Volunteers. I advanced about two miles when, meeting the enemy in small force, I was ordered to return. Loss, 1 man wounded. The enemy having evacuated Atlanta during the night of September 1, on the 2d our forces entered the place. My regiment marched through the city and camped for the night near the Augusta railroad. My losses during the operations near Atlanta were: Killed--commissioned officers, 1; enlisted men, 4. Wounded--commissioned officers, 2; enlisted men, 19. Total, 26. Have since died of wounds, 2. I have already forwarded to you a complete list of casualties during the campaign.*

I have the honor to remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Col. Third Wisconsin Veteran Volunteers.

U. S. Volunteers

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 38. Part II, Reports. Serial No. 73.]

Report of Col. William Hawley, Third Wisconsin Infantry.


CAPT.: I have the honor to submit the following as the report of the operations of this regiment from the occupation of Atlanta, Ga., September 2, 1864, to the present date:

On the day of the occupation of Atlanta my regiment went into camp with the brigade on the east side of the city near the Augusta railroad. It occupied this position until October 17, when it marched on an expedition for forage with a body of troops under command of Brig.-Gen. Geary. The regiment was absent four days on this expedition and marched in all fifty miles. I have no means of knowing the amount of supplies obtained. On returning to the city the regiment went into camp on the northwest side of the city near the Chattanooga railroad. While there the time was mainly occupied in picket duty, drill, &c. On the 22d of October it went on another foraging expedition, under command of Col. E. A. Carman, which lasted three days. The distance marched was forty-four miles. The amount of supplies obtained was unknown to me. On returning the regiment went into its old camp. November 2, the regiment marched with the Thirteenth New Jersey, One hundred and fiftieth New York, and Twenty-seventh Indiana, of the same brigade, with one section of artillery and a small body of cavalry, all the force being under the command of Col. E. A. Carman, on a reconnaissance in the direction of the Chattahoochee River. We turned the same day without meeting with either enemy or casualty. The whole distance marched was fifteen miles. November 13, the regiment moved in the direction of Chattahoochee bridge, five miles, and assisted in the destruction of railroad from that point to Atlanta. Distance marched, ten miles. Amount of road destroyed not known.*

Respectfully submitted.

Col. Third Regt. Wisconsin Veteran Volunteer Infantry.

Capt. J. R. LINDSAY,
Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 1st Div., 20th Army Corps.

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 39. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 77.]

Reports of Col. William Hawley, Third Wisconsin Infantry.


CAPT.: November 15, started with the balance of the army of the expedition to this city; passed through Decatur and went into camp on railroad near Stone Mountain; distance marched, fourteen miles. November 16, marched seven miles and went into camp near Yellow River. November 17, marched fourteen miles and went into camp near Gum Creek. November 18, marched eighteen miles and camped near Social Circle. November 19, marched twelve miles, passing through Madison, and arriving in camp at an early hour. Here I was directed by the colonel commanding brigade to conduct an expedition into the country for supplies, furnishing me for this purpose four wagons. On this expedition I marched eight miles and loaded my wagons with molasses, hogs, bacon, and potatoes. These supplies were turned over to the brigade commissary. November 20, marched ten miles toward Eatonton. November 21, marched twelve miles, passing through Eatonton, and went into camp at Dennis Station. November 22, marched thirteen miles to Milledgeville. Arriving near the city the corps was halted, and direction of major-general commanding Left Wing, I entered the place at the had of my own regiment and the One hundred and seventh New York Volunteer Infantry, and assumed command of the post. During my short stay in Milledgeville I received orders direct from the major-general commanding Left Wing of the army. My duties mainly consisted in patrolling the streets, ascertaining the amount of public and other properly captured and guarding the same, and maintaining-so far as my limited means would allow-good order in the city. The following is a list of the property seized, with the disposition made of the same; Burned-2,300 muskets, smooth-bore, caliber .69; 10,000 rounds cartridges, caliber .69; 300 sets accounterments; 5,000 lances; 1,500 cutlasses; 15 boxes U. S. standard weights and measures. Thrown into the river-170 boxes fixed artillery ammunition; 200 kegs powder; 16 hogsheads salt. A large amount of cotton, say 1,800 bales, was disposed of by Gen. Sherman; the manner of disposition was not made thrown to me. About 1,500 pounds tobacco was taken by my order and distributed among the troops generally. Besides the property above enumerated, a large lot of miscellaneous articles, such as harness, saddles, canteens, tools for repairing was materials, caps, &c., was burned in the building situated in the square near the State House. I remained in command of the post until November 24, when, by order of Maj.-Gen. Slocum, I rejoined my brigade, being relieved by colonel commanding Nineteenth Kentucky Volunteers, name not known. Marched same day fourteen miles to near Bluff Creek. November 25, marched to Hebron; on this march the command was delayed six hours by the burning of the bridge over Buffalo Creek by the enemy; whole distance marched, nine miles. November 26, marched to Tennille Station, on the Savannah and Macon Railroad, via Sandersville, the advance of the brigade skirmishing slightly with the enemy. Although my regiment advanced in line of battle for several miles, the enemy retreated so rapidly before the advance guard that my regiment did not come up with him. At Tennille my regiment was placed directly on the railroad without going into camp and destroyed the road until dark; amount destroyed, say half a mile. November 27, marched twelve miles to Davidsborough. November 28, commenced the destruction of the railroad in the morning. Marched thirteen miles, passing through Key West, and went into camp at Spiers Station, November 29, marched eight miles destroying railroad track, going into camp near Bostwick. On this day's march my regiment destroyed at least two miles of track, besides burning a large lumber and timber yard, situated on both sides of the track and extending a quarter of a mile. This yard contained the worked timber for four complete railroad bridges, besides a large quantity of sawed ties and boards. The whole lot is variously estimated at from 1,000,000 to 5,000,000 feet; I think 3,000,000 feet fair estimate. November 30, marched eight miles, crossing the Ogeechee River, and went into camp three miles beyond.

December 1, marched ten miles, crossing Dry Creek, going into camp at an early hour. December 2, marched fifteen miles and went into camp near Jones' Mill Creek. December 3, marched fourteen miles, crossing the Millen and Augusta Railroad. December 4, marched twelve miles, and went into camp near Hunter's Mills. December 5, marched three miles and went into camp. December 6, marched ten miles toward Springfield. December 7, marched eleven miles, and went into camp one mile southeast of Springfield. December 8, marched ten miles, and went into camp. December 9, changed the direction of our march, and took the direct Savannah road. After marching about four miles the enemy were found, strongly intrenched and occupying two small forts directly in our front, entirely covering the road over which we had to pass. At this point the First Division being the advance, was halted and formed for the attack in the following order; Second Brigade, Col. E. A. Carman, on the right; First Brigade, Col. Selfridge, in the center; Third Brigade, Col. Robinson, onto the left. The Second Brigade, in order to gain the rear of the enemy, if possible, made a detour to the right, moving by the flank a distance of one mile, gaining a position in a rice swamp, through which the rear of the forts could be reached. My regiment, with the Second Massachussetts Infantry on its right, was formed in line of battle in the rice swamp; the balance of the brigade was formed on the left, in the woods. An advance was then made, in the above order, for nearly one mile, when the skirmish line became engaged, and the brigade was halted. I remained in this position without orders to advance until the enemy, being hard pressed by the Third Brigade, who had gained the right flank of his position, began to retreat. I thin moved on rapidly without orders, but the swamp was so deep, and the enemy having a good road at his command, it was impossible for us to overtake him. After following him a distance of two miles, I returned, by your order, and went into camp near the enemy's deserters works. The only casualty on this day was one officer, Capt. Buck, wounded. Three of the enemy were captured by my skirmish line. Distance marched this day, six miles. December 10, marched at daylight; reached the Charleston and Savannah Railroad; halted and destroyed a portion of the road. The march was resumed until the enemy's works were reached in front of Savannah, when I took up a position with the brigade in line of battle about three-quarters of a mile from the enemy's outer line of works. Distance marched this day, ten miles. December 11, at 3 o'clock, by your order, I reported to brigadier-general commanding corps, from whom I received instructions to take my command to Argyle Island, in the Savannah River, secure the rice and other public property there, and to make a reconnaissance on the South Carolina shore. I succeeded in crossing two companies that night. December 12, crossed the balance of my command this morning. While crossing I discovered three rebel steamer coming down the river. Two of them proved to be gun-boats by almost immediately becoming engaged with our battery on shore. Immediately deployed two companies to intercept them if possible, and pick off their gunners. Before the skirmishers could reach a position where their fire could be effective, the two gun-boats had retreated, making their escape up the river. While changing their position the two gun-boats both into the third vessel-which afterward proved to be the armed tender Resolute-which had so disabled her that her wheels could not revolve. When my troops came up to her, the officers and crew had lowered the small boats and were busily engaged in getting in their baggage and other personal property, and would have succeeded in making their escape in a few minutes more. After one volley from my men, resulting in the wounding of the executive officer of the boat, the vessel was surrendered, immediately boarded by my troops, and brought to the Georgia shore. The following is a list of the arms and supplies found on board, which, with the boat, were turned over to Capt. Whittelsey, corps quartermaster, by order of Brig.-Gen. Williams, commanding corps; 10 shorts Whitney rifled muskets, saber bayonets, accouterments complete; 10 Whitney rifled muskets with bayonets, and accounterments; 5 barrels flour; 6 barrels beef; one-half barrel molasses; one-half barrel vinegar; one-half barrel rice; 6 bags coffee; 3 boxes bread; 1 box candles; 500 pounds bacon. The prisoners, expect the wounded officer who was left on board in care of the surgeon of the boat, consisting of 5 officers and 19 men, were turned over to Maj. W. Parks, provost-marshal of corps, by order of brigadier-general commadning corps. December 13 and 14, the entire time was occupied in collecting boats, reconnoitering the island, and securing the rice and such other property as could be found, of which the following is partial list: 5 large barge loads of rice in sheaf; 260 bushels threshed rice; 9 barrels sirup; 14 mules and 2 horses. The mules, horses, and sheaf rice were turned over to corps quartermaster and the balance of the stores were used in subsisting the negroes, and otherwise disposed of by the corps quartermaster. In addition to the above, about 2,000 bushels of rice was threshed and left in the mill on the island. December 15, in compliance with previous orders from brigadier-general commanding corps, I crossed five companies of my regiment to the South Carolina shore, driving the enemy from the plantation known as Izard's, and made a reconnaissance in the country for about two miles, gaining much valuable information respecting the country and roads. After a stay of about one hour the enemy made their appearance in my front in strong force. Being entirely isolated from the balance of the army, with limited means of transportation, I deemed it prudent to withdraw my small force and return to the island. This I accomplished successfully, although vigorously pressed by the enemy. I immediately reported to the brigadier-general commanding corps, and applied for a force sufficient to enable me to recross to the South Carolina shore in safety, and to occupy the plantation, if through necessary or desirable. The Second Massachusetts Infantry was sent me, but before I could effect a recrossing the boats were ordered to the Georgia shore to transport your entire brigade to the island and South Carolina shore. The arrival of the balance of the brigade with the colonel commanding relieved me of the command and responsibility of the expedition. December 19, I recrossed my regimen with the balance of the brigade, under the orders of the colonel commanding, to the south Carolina shore and occupied my original position. December 20, skirmished all day with the enemy. December 21, the brigade recrossed to the island, my regiment guarding the rear; the enemy pressed my regiment hard at times, but we finally succeeded in gaining the island, late at night, without loss. December 22, crossed from the island to the main Georgia shore, marched seven miles, and went into camp in my present position.

My casualties in this expedition were 1 man killed and 3 wounded. The total number of casualties during the campaign are as follows: Killed, 1 man; wounded, 1 officer and 3 men.

I beg leave to report, in conclusion, that so excellent have been the arrangements adopted by the colonel commanding brigade for foraging, and so ample the facilities given the men while on the road to gather potatoes, turnips, and other vegetables at the resting places, that I have experienced no difficulty during the entire march in subsisting my men and animals on the country, obtaining all that was needed, excepting coffee and sugar.

I beg leave also to report that on the march twelve bales of cotton were discovered, which had been secreted in the woods, and were burned by my orders.

Respectfully submitted.

Col. Third Regt. Wisconsin Veteran Volunteer Infantry.

Capt. J. R. LINDSAY,
Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 1st Div., 20th Army Corps.


COL.: I have the honor to transmit the following report of the operations of my command, resulting in the capture of the C. S. steamer Resolute:

At 7.30 o'clock this morning I received information that two rebel gun-boats, with their tender, the Resolute, wee steaming down the river. I had previously crossed over to the island with four companies of my command, and immediately on hearing the firing between the boats and the battery on shore, deployed two companies for the purpose of intercepting the boats and picking off the gunners. Before we reached the bank, however, the gun-boats had made their escape. On reaching the bank I found the Resolute aground on the island and in a disabled condition, caused by coming in contact with the gun-boats, both of which struck her while changing position. The captain of the Resolute was making every effort to escape with the small boats, and would have succeeded had we been fifteen minutes later. I called out for them to surrender, when the captain surrendered the boat and all on board as prisoners of war. I put the two companies on board, and used every means to bring her to the landing. On making an examination of the boat I found that she had received two shots from Battery I, First New York Artillery, resulting in no material injury, one having passed through the wheel-house and the other through the mess room. I also found a quantity of stores and small-arms, an inventory of which will be forwarded with this report. I examined the baggage belonging to the prisoners, and allowed them to retain all that was of a private nature. The executive officer of the boat was wounded by my command before the surrender, and was left in charge of the surgeon on board.

On receiving your order I turned over the boat, with all its stores, to Capt. Whittelsey, assistant quartermaster Twentieth Army Corps, and the prisoners, consisting of 5 officers and 19 men, to Maj. W. Parks, provost-marshal Twentieth Army Corps.

Inventory of stores and arms captured on board the C. S. steamer Resolute December 12, 1864, by Col. William Hawley, commanding Third Wisconsin Veteran Volunteer Infantry: 5 barrels flour, 6 barrels beef, half a barrel molasses, half a barrel vinegar, half a barrel rice, 6 bags coffee, 3 boxes bread, 1 box candles, 500 pounds bacon, 10 short Whitney rifled muskets, with saber bayonets and accouterments complete, and 10 Whitney rifled muskets, with bayonets and accouterments.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Col. Third Regt. Wisconsin Veteran Volunteer Infantry.

Lieut. Col. H. W. PERKINS,
Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Twentieth Army Corps.

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 44. Serial No. 92.]

Reports of Lieut. Col. George W. Stevenson, Third Wisconsin Infantry, of operations January 17-March 24 and April 10-May 24.

HDQRS. THIRD WISCONSIN VETERAN VOL. INFANTRY, Goldsborough, N. C., March 24, 1865.

CAPT.: I have the honor to submit the following as the report of operations of this regiment from the departure of the command from Savannah, Ga., January 17, 1865, to the present date:

On the morning of the 17th the regiment marched with the brigade, crossing the Savannah River at the city and continuing the march until near night, camping eight miles distant from the city. January 18, marched five miles. January 19, moved to Purysburg; distance, seven miles; remained in camp until the 26th, when orders were received to resume the march, camping for the night four miles distant. January 27, marched six miles. January 28, marched eight miles. January 29, marched to Robertsville, regiment leading the division. We encountered the enemy about one mile from the village, when two companies were ordered to deploy as skirmishers and engage the enemy. The firing soon became sharp, but after a short resistance the enemy fled through the town, leaving the regiment in full possession. One prisoner was captured. The casualties in the regiment amounted to three men wounded. Distance marched, four miles.

The regiment remained in camp until February 2, when the march was again commenced; camping, distance from Robertsville, thirteen miles. February 3, marched near Lawtonville, S. C.; distance, ten miles. February 4, marched ten miles, regiment acting as train guard. February 5, marched ten miles to near Buford's Bridge. February 6, marched ten miles, regiment guarding trains. February 7, marched seven miles; camped for the night near the Charleston and Augusta Railroad. February 8, marched four miles to Graham's Station; destroyed railroad during the day. February 9, marched toward Augusta on railroad; distance, twelve miles; camping for the night at Blackville, S. C. February 10, destroyed railroad during the day. February 11, marched seven miles, crossing North Edisto River; camped one mile from river. February 12, marched twelve miles. February 13, marched five miles. February 14, marched five miles. February 15, marched twelve miles, camping one mile south of Lexington. February 16, marched eight miles. February 17, marched five miles, crossing the Saluda River at 10 p. m., camping on east bank. February 18, marched eight miles. February 19, marched six miles. February 20, crossed Broad River; distance marched, seven miles. February 21, marched eleven miles, passing through Winnsborough, camping three miles east of town. February 22, marched fifteen miles, guarding trains during the day. February 23, crossed Catawba River; distance marched, three miles. February 24, marched four miles. February 25, remained in camp. February 26, marched six miles. February 27, marched five miles. February 28, marched seven miles.

March 1, 1865, marched toward Chesterfield, crossing Lynch's Creek at Farley's Ford; distance, fifteen miles. March 2, marched eighteen miles; crossed Big Black Creek, camping at Chesterfield. March 3, marched three miles. March 4, marched seven miles, regiment guarding trains. March 5, remained in camp. Regimental [inspection] found the men in bad condition, the clothing in shreds, and shoes worn out. March 6, marched thirteen miles; passed through Cheraw; crossed Great Pedee River at 8 p. m., camping on the east bank. March 7, marched fifteen miles. March 8, marched fourteen miles; regiment employed most of the day in building corduroy roads. March 9, crossed Lumber River, regiment guarding rains; distance marched, six miles; building corduroy roads part of the day. March 10, marched six miles. March 11, marched nineteen miles; camped near Fayetteville, N. C. March 12, remained in camp. March 13, crossed Cape Fear River; distance marched, five miles. March 14, remained in camp. March 15, marched fifteen miles; went into camp at Bluff Church; at 9 p. m. received orders to move; marched with the brigade over almost impassable roads to the support of the cavalry division under command of Gen. Kilpatrick. March 16, regiment moved with the brigade in line of battle to attack the enemy, who were soon found strongly posted. The skirmishers soon became hotly engaged and after maintaining our position for several hours the regiment with the brigade was relieved by Brig.-Gen. Cogswell, commanding brigade of the Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps, the loss amounting to twenty eight killed and wounded. During the remaining portion of the day my regiment was held in reserve without further casualties. The regiment was relieved at dark by First Brigade, First Division, Fourteenth Army Corps, March 18, marched nine miles. March 19, marched ten miles, drawing near the Fourteenth Army Corps, who were then engaged with the enemy. After some few changes of position indicate to hurried movements the regiment soon rested in position with the brigade on the left of the Fourteenth Army Corps, facing the west. Works were soon completed and nothing more of note transpired. The regiment remained in the same position until the 22d of March, when the enemy retreated and our march resumed; distance, nine miles. March 23, crossed Neuse River; distance marched, thirteen miles. March 24, moved ten miles to our present position near Goldsborough, N. C.

I would respectfully include in the above report the operations of the forage detail of this regiment, numbering fifty men, under command of Capt. Alexander D. Haskins. Since the organization of this forage party the regiment has suffered but little from want of food. The detail has, with few exceptions, found sufficient to subsist the regiment. The party has captured horses to the number of 20 and mules to the number of 30; cotton-gins destroyed, 7; bales of cotton destroyed, 438.

I am at a loss to give the number of pounds of forage consumed by the animals of the regiment, but would say the animals have received full forage during the entire campaign, which would amount to 52,414 pounds of corn and hay, or fodder to the amount of 71,462 pounds. I would add that the subsistence taken from the country has been corn meal and bacon, with but a scanty portion of potatoes. Since leaving Savannah the regiment has drawn from the brigade fifteen days' rations of meat and hard bread. Coffee and sugar has been issued in small quantities.

Miles marched............................. 440
Men killed in action........................ 4
Men wounded................................. 27
Men (prisoners) captured................ 6
Animals captured:
Horses.................................... 20
Mules..................................... 30
Rations taken from the country:
Corn meal......................pounds.... 18,490
Bacon...........................pounds...... 23,790
Potatoes.........................pounds...... 4,300
Forage taken from the country:
Corn and fodder.................pounds.... 52,414
Cotton and cotton-gins destroyed:
Gins...................................... 7
Cotton.................bales..... 438
List of casualties in Third Wisconsin Veteran Volunteer Infantry during the campaign commencing January 17, 1865, and ending March 24, 1865.*

Recapitulation: Killed, 5; wounded, 26; total, 31.

Very respectfully,

Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Regt.

Capt. J. R. LINDSAY,
Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 1st Div., 20th Army Corps.


CAPT.: I have the honor to submit the following report of operations of the Third Regt. Wisconsin Veteran Volunteer Infantry from the time of the departure of the command from Goldsborough, N. C., April 10, 1865, to the date of arrival at Washington, May 24, 1865:

On the morning of April 10 the regiment, in common with the rest of the command, commenced the march, moving out on the Raleigh road. When some eight miles on our way two companies of my regiment were ordered out to support and extend the line then formed by a part of First Brigade, First Division, Twentieth Army Corps. Some skirmishing ensued, but without loss of any in my regiment; camping for the night distant from Goldsborough fourteen miles. April 11, march was resumed at 9 a. m., arriving at Smithfield at dark, camping near the town, having marched a distance of twelve miles. April 12, marched at 7 a. m.; crossed the Neuse River, camping at 4 p. m.; distance, fifteen miles. April 13, marched at 6 a. m., arriving at Raleigh at 12 m., camping for the night two miles from the city having marched twelve miles. The regiment remained in camp until April 25, when the for the night fourteen miles from Raleigh. The regiment here stopped in camp one day, resuming the march April 28; marching toward Raleigh, arriving at our old camp at 2 p. m., having marched fourteen miles. Here we remained in camp one day. April 30, marched at 4 a. m. toward Richmond; distance marched, sixteen miles.

May 1, 1865, marched at 8 a. m., regiment guarding division wagon trains, camping at 6 p. m.; distance, sixteen miles. May 2, marched at 6; camped at sunset; distance, twenty miles. May 3, marched at 6 a. m.; crossed Roanoke River at 8 p. m., camping on the north side; distance, fifteen miles. May 4, marched at 6 a. m.; crossed Meherrin River, camping at dark; distance, twenty-two miles. May 5, marched at 9 a. m.; distance, fifteen miles; camping for the night near the Nottoway River. May 6, marched at 7 a. m.; distance, fourteen miles, camping at 3 p. m. near Virginia Central [South Side] Railroad. May 7, marched at 7 a. m., crossing the Appomattox River; distance, twenty miles. May 8, marched at 6 a. m., camping at 3 p. m. near Falling Creek; distance, sixteen miles. May 9, marched at 11 a. m.; distance, four miles; remained in camp one day; march resumed. May 11, marched toward Washington, passing through Richmond at 2 p. m., camping four miles from the city; distance, nine miles. May 12, marched at 4.30 a. m.; crossed the Chickahominy at 10 a. m., camping at 5 p. m. on the north bank of South Anna River; distance, seventeen miles. May 13, marched at 4.30 a. m.; crossed Little River, camping at 4 p. m. on north bank of North Anna River; distance, fifteen miles. May 14, marched at 6 a. m.; camped two miles east of Spotsylvania Court-House; distance, nineteen miles. May 15, marched at 5.30 a. m.; camped on south bank of the Rappahannock at United States Ford; distance, fourteen miles. May 16, marched at 8 a. m.; crossed the river at 8.30 a. m.; went into camp 5.30 p. m.; distance, twelve miles. May 17, marched at 9.30 a. m.; camping at 5 p. m. two miles south of Brentsville; distance, eleven miles. May 18, marched at 4.30 a. m.; passed through Brentsville at 7 a. m., camping at dark four miles from Fairfax Station; distance, twenty miles. May 19, marched at 4.30 a. m.; passed through Brentsville at 7 a. m., camping at dark four miles from Fairfax Station; distance, twenty miles. May 19, marched at 7.30 a. m., arriving at Alexandria, Va., at 3.30 p. m.; distance eleven miles; remained in camp till May 24, when we marched at 5.30 a. m.; crossing the Potomac and camping four miles from Washington; distance marched, eleven miles.

The foregoing report exhibits the character of duty performed with distances marched, &c.

I would add that in consideration of the large number of recruits in the command few were found absent from the various roll-cars ordered, which reflects much credit upon the company commanders who have during the entire camping proved efficient and worthy officers.

Recapitulation: Distance marched, 364 miles.

I am, respectfully, &c.,

Lieut.-Col., Cmdg.

Capt. J. R. LINDSAY,
Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 1st Div., 20th Army Corps.

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 47. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 98.]

Battles (where losses incurred) involving 3rd Infantry Regiment

Location Date Killed Wounded POW Missing Losses
2nd Bull Run, VA Aug 30 1862 0 0 1 0 1
Antietam, MD Sep 17 1862 27 189 3 0 219
Atlanta, GA Jul 22 1864 1 5 1 0 7
Atlanta, GA Aug 10 1864 1 3 0 0 4
Averysboro, NC Mar 16 1865 4 17 0 0 21
Bentonville, NC Mar 19 1865 0 4 0 0 4
Beverly Ford, VA Jun 9 1863 1 14 0 0 15
Bolivar Heights, WV Oct 16 1861 5 0 0 0 5
Cedar Mountain, VA Aug 9 1862 17 54 10 1 82
Chancellorsville, VA May 2 1863 18 48 2 0 68
Dallas, GA May 24 1864 0 1 0 0 1
Dallas, GA May 25 1864 14 100 0 0 114
Front Royal, VA May 23 1862 0 0 1 0 1
Gettysburg, PA Jul 1 1863 2 6 0 0 8
Kenesaw Mountain, GA Jun 20 1864 1 6 0 0 7
New Hope Church, GA May 25 1864 1 0 0 0 1
Peach Tree Creek, GA Jul 20 1864 2 7 0 0 9
Resaca, GA May 15 1864 4 29 0 1 34
Winchester, VA May 24 1862 1 6 86 0 93

Brigade, Division, Corps, and Army assignments for 3rd Infantry Regiment

From To Brigade Division Corps Army/Department Comments
Jul 25 1861 Aug 17 1861 3

Department of the Shenandoah New Organization
Aug 17 1861 Mar 13 1862 3 Bank's
Army of Potomac
Mar 13 1862 Apr 4 1862 3 1 5 Army of Potomac
Apr 4 1862 Jun 30 1862 3 1
Department of the Shenandoah
Jun 1 1862 Sep 30 1862 3 1 2 Army of Virginia
Sep 1 1862 Sep 25 1863 3 1 12 Army of Potomac
Sep 25 1863 Apr 14 1864 3 1 12 Dept and Army of Ohio and Cumberland
Apr 14 1864 Jul 1865 2 1 20 Dept and Army of Ohio and Cumberland Mustered Out

Roster for
3rd Infantry Regiment - 2,886 men

Source: Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers; War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865; Volumes I and II; compiled by Authority of the Legislature, under the direction of Jeremiah M. Rusk, Governor & Chandler P. Chapman, Adjutant General; Democrat Printing Company, State Printers; Madison, Wisconsin; 1886

Abbott - BrennamanBrennan - Crouch
Culbert - FransonFrashier - Hilfert
Hill - LarkinsLarouche - Moscript
Mosier - RauRaymond - Snyder
Sonday - WarrenWashburne - Zweifel

back to Civl War index

back to Military index

back to index

Copyright © 2006-2009 to Genealogy Trails' Wisconsin Trails host & each Contributor
All rights reserved