Source: "History of Northern Wisconsin", 1881, page 60 - Transcribed by Sandra Wright
The county seat is Friendship, situated on Section 5, in the town of Adams. This point was first settled in 1856, by people from Friendship, Alleghany Co., N.Y. The village has a population of about 400, who are engaged in the various industries tributary to an agricultural region. The public buildings are the court-house, a frame building, thirty-two by forty-six feet, two stories high, having a stone fire-proof vault; a fine two-story school-house, thirty by forty-six feet; and a good church building, erected by the Congregational society, and jointly occupied by that and the Methodist society. Friendship is the largest village in the county. A daily stage runs between this place and Kilbourn City, on the St. Paul Railway, in Columbia County.