Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
Brown County, Wisconsin
Biographies


David Agry
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]
DAVID AGRY, Green Bay. Thomas Agry, of Barnstable, Massachusetts, was the earliest ancestor of the Agry family of whom we have any record. He was a shipwright by trade, and built many sea-going vessels, at Agry's Point, near Pittston, Maine, at which place he settled before 1770. His youngest son, John, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Barnstable, Massachusetts, April 7, 1763, and married Elizabeth Reed, of Boothbay, Maine, (a sister of Colonel Andrew Reed, of Phipsburgh, Maine, who commanded a regiment of militia on duty at the mouth of Kennebec river in the war of 1812,) August 13, 1793, removed from Pittston to Hallowell in 1801, and died in 1848. David Agry was born in Pittston, August 2, 1794, had a collegiate education, graduating at Dartmouth College in 1815; then studied law for a profession; was admitted to the bar, and practiced several years in Bangor, Maine. When about thirty years of age he went to Louisiana, and after a sojourn of some time in New Orleans, he finally opened an office at Shreveport, where he resided for a number of years. He subsequently returned to the north, and was located for a time in New York city. He there made the acquaintance of Mr. Joseph Rolette, of Prairie du Chien, a relative of Mrs. H. S. Baird, of Green Bay, by whose favorable representations he was led to think of the latter place for a location, and finally landed there from a Buffalo steamer in the month of September 1840. For the first year he practiced with Mr. Morgan L. Martin, but in the following year opened an office in company with J. S. Fisk. In 1842 he was elected a member of the territorial house of representatives, and reelected the succeeding year. In 1850 he was elected county judge of Brown county, which position he held until the time of his death, January 30, 1877. He was elected a member of the first constitutional convention in 1846, from the county of Brown, served in that body as chairman of the committee on the powers, duties and restrictions of the legislature, and was also a member of the committee on the executive of the state. His services throughout the session were in the highest degree important, dignified and conscientious, and he ranked as a peer among the most distinguished men of that body. His abilities were of the highest order, finely cultivated, in knowledge profound, and all his acts marked with the force of personal conviction and innate honesty. He was a lawyer of superior erudition, an assiduous reader of general literature, and, before age and extreme deafness had obscured his powers, there was no man in the community where he lived who could yield a richer fund of intellectual entertainment for a social circle. It was said of a famous Englishman that "though not a man to be loved, yet he was eminently a man to be trusted." Judge Agry was eminently a man to be trusted and loved. Though never married, he seemed peculiarly domestic in his tastes and feelings, and always entered with hearty zest into the joys, and cherished a tender sympathy with all the sorrows of the family circles where he was an honored and pleasing guest.

Henry S. Baird
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
HENRY S. BAIRD, Green Bay, was born in Dublin, Ireland, May 16, 1800. His father, with Thomas Emmet and other exiles, came to American in 1804. Mr. Baird’s early education was obtained in the common schools before the age of fifteen. He was an attentive student. At the age of eighteen he entered a law office in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and was afterward a law student at Cleveland, in the office of the late Governor Wood, of Ohio. Mr. Baird was admitted to the practice of law by Judge Doty, in June, 1823. In July, 1824, he came to Green Bay and attended the first term of court held there. He subsequently attended the first term of court held in Crawford county, at Prairie du Chien. He may, therefore, be claimed to have been the oldest attorney, professionally, in Wisconsin, and the father of the Wisconsin bar.  August 12, 1824, he returned to Mackinac, where he was married to Elizabeth L. Fisher. They returned in September of that year, and located where the Green Bay settlement then existed. He was president of the first legislative council of the Territory of Wisconsin, which was held at Belmont in 1836. Upon the organization of the territorial government he was appointed attorney-general by Governor Dodge. In 1847 he was a member of the first convention to form a state constitution, which met at Madison.
Among services of a public nature he was called upon to render, was frequent and prominent participation in treaties between the United States government and the Indian tribes, of whom he was the steadfast friend. He was secretary to Governor Dodge at the great treaty made at Cedar Rapids in 1836, wherein the Menomonees ceded some four million acres of their country to the government of the United States. He continued in the active practice of his profession until about the year 1860; when, having secured a competence and having other business on his hands, he practically retired from practice, although retaining his connection with the bar, serving in former and later years as the honored president of the bar association of Green Bay. His death occurred April 28, 1875. He had supervision of the Astor property in Green Bay, his services as agent dating from about 1862. He was scrupulous and exact in business relations, and maintained an unimpeachable reputation for probity and faithful stewardship.
In politics he became, after the dissolution of the whig party, a republican, of which organization he always remained an ardent and active supporter. For many years he had been connected with the Masonic fraternity; and, for a period embracing a number of years, one of the most instrumental in contributing to its prosperity.
Perhaps it will not be irrelevant to the present purpose to go back to the year 1824, when Fort Howard was garrisoned by four companies of the third United States infantry. The officers and their families were educated and accomplished people, with few sources of recreation, and no social attachments outside their immediate military circle. Naturally, they readily formed acquaintance with the few families who sought a home at this their isolated place. The result was a mutual cultivation of social qualities; and to this military post, may be indirectly traced much of the politeness and affability of manner visible in the remnant of early settlers in the locality of the old fort. Among these officers and their families Mr. Baird and his young wife became great favorites, and so remained till the post was broken up in about 1852. The generous hospitality, rare politeness, and refinement of their home, has been as familiar as a household word. Senator Howe said at their golden wedding anniversary, that in coming to Green Bay they “brought the best style of Christian civilization with them and have cherished it ever since.” There are two daughters who survive Mr. Baird. Mrs. John A. Baker, of Green Bay, and Mrs. Dr. John Favill, of Madison. The State Historical Society made him vice-president of it since its organization. The memory of this just and good man will be preserved fresh and fragrant.

Samuel W. Beall
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Sharon Witt].
SAMUEL W. BEALL, Montana, was born in Montgomery, Prince George county, Maryland, in 1807; was educated at Union College, New York; read law at Litchfield, Connecticut; was admitted to the bar at Green Bay in 1829; was appointed receiver of public moneys at Green Bay in 1834; removed to Tychorca in 1841, and to Taycheedah in 1847; was Indian agent with the Stockbridge and other tribes; was a member of both constitutional conventions; was elected lieutenant-governor in 1850; went to Denver to reside in 1859; returned to Wisconsin in 1861; was appointed lieutenant-colonel of the Eighteenth Wisconsin regiment in 1861; was badly wounded at Shiloh; after the close of the war he went to Helena, Montana Territory, where he was shot in an altercation and lost his life.

Lem Warner Bowen
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
BOWEN, Lem Warner, treasurer and general manager D.M. Ferry & Co.; born, Green Bay, Wis., (Brown Co) July 12, 1857; son of Charles Clark and Julia M. (Hard) Bowen; educated in public schools of Detroit; Kalamazoo (Mich.) College (freshman year); entered sophomore class University of Rochester and was graduated, A.B., 1879; married at Rochester, May 10, 1881, Grace M. Woodbury. Came to Detroit after leaving college, 1879, and entered employ of D.M. Ferry & Co., seedsmen; was elected treasurer, 1887, and general manager, 1900, which positions he has since held. Also president Cadillac Motor Car Co.; president Standard Life and Accident Insurance Co. of Detroit, Mich., vice president Security Trust Co.; director Edison Illuminating Co., Michigan Savings Bank. President Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican as to politics. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Old Club. Recreation: Traveling. Office: D.M. Ferry & Co. Residence: 54 Peterboro St.

Timothy Burke
[Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) page 461; transcribed by FoFG mz]
TIMOTHY BURKE (Rep.) is the only lawyer In Wisconsin who ever held the office of sheriff, having served his county from 1901 to 1903. Born In the town of Morrison, Brown county, Feb. 2, 1866, he received a common school education, mastered the usual collegiate subjects himself and graduated from the Law College, University of Wisconsin in 1898. He has represented both districts of Brown county in the assembly, the second district in 1895 and first district in 1907, and was elected to the senate in 1908, 1912 and 1916, being president pro tem in the 1917 session. He enlisted as a private in Co. G, Ninth Infantry, Wisconsin State Guard, Aug. 2, 1917 and March 23, 1918 was promoted to major and assigned to the Judge Advocate department as ranking officer. He was chairman of the Brown county Republican committee from 1904 to 1912.

Theodore G. Case
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]
THEODORE G. CASE, Green Bay, was born in Castleton, Rensselaer county, New York, July 13, 1853, his father being Mr. Timothy Case, vice president and general superintendent of the Green Bay, Winona & St. Paul railroad. Mr. Case was prepared for college at the Collegiate College, Newton, New Jersey, after which he entered the University of Michigan, took a special course, and graduated at the institution in July, 1870, having conferred upon him the degree of pharmaceutical chemist. Upon his graduation from college he became interested with several New York capitalists, and was, by them, sent with others to construct the Houston & Great Northern railroad of Texas, in which employment he was engaged until 1873, when he returned to New York city. In the fall of the same year he commenced the study of law with Linn & Babbitt at Jersey City, New Jersey. His preceptors are eminent members of the bar, and, at that time, were counsel for several large railway corporations, and for the notable Hudson River Tunnel Company. Remaining with this firm two years he then entered the law school of the University of the city of New York to complete his law studies. The regular course of this school is two college years, of nine months each, and Mr. Case has the credit of having accomplished a graduation at the end of the first year of nine months, and at the same time he was a student in the office of William M. Evarts. At the time of his graduation with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, in June, 1876, he was delegated by the faculty of the college to deliver an address at the commencement exercises held in the Academy of Music, with a crowded house, his subject being The Lawyer and Public Opinions. Immediately afterward he engaged in general practice in New York city, but making a specialty of corporation business. Remaining in that city until April, 1878, he came to Green Bay to enter upon the duties of general counsel of the Green Bay & Minnesota Railroad Company to which position he had accepted an appointment, and is still acting in that capacity. Upon the reorganization of the above named railroad company into the Green Bay, Winona & St. Paul, he was elected, on June 7, 1881, general attorney of the new company, which office he now holds. During the time he has been in this state he has acted as counsel for the Lackawana Iron company, having charge of the business of the company concerning municipal bonds in Wisconsin, and has also acted as associate counsel for The Farmers Loan & Trust Company, of New York, in the foreclosure of the Green Bay & Minnesota railroad. Since January, 1881, Mr. Case has been engaged in cases of large import, involving amounts aggregating over one million of dollars, and has been uniformly successful in the management of the litigation connected therewith. The numerous suits at law in which the railroad company he represents has been involved the past year or two, have been as intricate as they have been important, yet Mr. Case has succeeded in fully protecting and securing the rights of that corporation, by his tact and ability.

Arthur Christofferson
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger]
CHRISTOFFERSON Arthur. St Paul. Res 1800 Carroll st Merriam Park, office 614 Endicott bldg. Lawyer. Born Jan 14, 1877 in De Pere Brown County Wis, son of Hans and Bertha (Hason) Christofferson. Graduated at Hudson Wis High School 1895; law dept U of M, LL B 1901; LL M on post-graduate course. In service of N P Ry Co from office boy to chief clk 1896-1902. Night course in law at U of M. V pres Nason-Christofferson Co; practicing law in St Paul 1902 to date. Member Commercial, Norden, Roosevelt Republican and Minnesota Boat clubs St Paul. Masonic fraternity.

George R. Cooke
GREEN BAY.
[Source: Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self Made Men; Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Pat Houser]
Prominent among the influential and self-made men of Green Bay stands he whose name heads this sketch. Though in the study of his life history, we find many phases in common with the lives of ordinary men, there is at the same time an undercurrent of enterprise and individualism peculiarly its own. A native of Drummondsville, Lower Canada, he was born on the 10th of July, 1834, and is the son of John and Mary Cooke. His parents, well-to-do farmers, were upright and enterprising, and enjoyed the high regard of many true friends. George received a common English education, and during his early life divided his time between study and farm work. In 1854, at the age of twenty years, he took a contract for cutting cordwood in Vermont, and during the summer of the following year worked on a farm in Lancaster, New Hampshire. With something of a fondness for adventure, and a desire to better his condition, he removed to the West during the latter part of this same year, and settled at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. Remaining here till 1856, he removed to Green Bay, and during the next nine years was employed, on a salary, in saw-mill. During this time, by industrious and frugal habits, he succeeded in accumulating a handsome capital, and in 1865 erecting a sawmill, began the manufacture of lumber. Since that time he has been actively engaged in the lumber trade, doing an extensive and influential business, having been fortunate in possessing the happy faculty of seizing opportunities and turning them to the interests of his enterprise. He has not, however, confined himself exclusively to this line of business, but has employed parts of his capital in a manner that has displayed a most worthy public-spiritedness. In 1873, he erected one of the finest buildings in his city, known as “Cook’s Hotel,” which has contributed not only to his own private interests, but also has been a valuable acquisition to the city.
His political sentiments are republican, and although his county has a democratic majority, he was, in 1874, elected county treasurer, and is also one of the school board of Green Bay. His aspirations, however, have not been for political honors; his legitimate business furnishing for him more congenial and satisfactory employment. He is in the truest sense a businessman; coming to Green Bay as he did, with but twenty-five dollars in his pocket, he has gradually risen by his own efforts, to his present business and social standing. Naturally of a generous disposition, he has contributed liberally to the support of benevolent and charitable objects, and by his manly deportment, suave manners and open, fair-dealing, has drawn around himself a host of true and substantial friends.  Mr. Cooke was married on the 29th of September, 1857 to Miss Juliette Stearns, and by her has one daughter and one son.

Thomas A. Delaney
[Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) page 475; transcribed by FoFG mz]
THOMAS A. DELANEY (Dem.) is a successful attorney of Green Bay. He was born in Oconto, April 23, 1886, was educated in the Catholic parochial schools of Oconto and Green Bay, the East Side Green Bay high school and the law school of Marquette university, Milwaukee. He was elected police justice for the city of Green Bay at a special election June 12, 1912, to fill a vacancy and was re-elected in 1913 and 1915, serving two and one-half terms, until April, 1917. He has been chairman of the Brown County Democratic Committee since Sept., 1914, and member of the Democratic State _Central Committee from the Ninth Congressional district since 1916. He was elected to the assembly in 1918, receiving 1,995 votes to 1,658 for William C. Haslem (Rep.), and 166 for John B. Everhard (Ind.).

E. Holmes Ellis
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]
E. HOLMES ELLIS, Green Bay, was born at Green Bay, August 26, 1826, and enjoyed only such educational advantages as were afforded by the common school and intelligent teaching in his father's family. At a proper age he entered the law office of H. S. Baird, and prosecuted his law studies with such diligence, that at the age of twenty-one years he was admitted to practice in the territorial courts. In November 1847, he opened an office at Manitowoc Rapids, then a small village, where he continued to practice until 1851, when he sought a larger field by removing to Green Bay, and has, since that time, made it his home. In partnership, at different times, with W. J. Green, H. J. Fenbee, S. D. Hastings, Jr., George G. Green, and W. H. Norris, he has continued to hold a high rank in his profession, and from 1871 to 1879 occupied the position of circuit judge. His eight years' service on the bench was eminently successful and satisfactory to the people of his circuit and to the bar; but declining health and the meager compensation allowed for the service compelled his resignation. Judge Ellis, though never a politician, has ever held very pronounced views upon the political questions which have agitated the country for the past twenty years. He has often been called upon to serve in public office, but never as a partisan, having been district attorney and clerk of supervisors of Manitowoc, alderman and mayor of the city of Green Bay, and registrer of deeds of Brown county. His retirement from the bench of the circuit court was deeply regretted by his constituents, not, however, without the hope, and perhaps expectation, that he would be elevated to a higher position. The public service of Judge Ellis and his unimpeachable private character have won for him the confidence and respect of his fellow citizens of all parties. Judge Ellis is a son of the venerable Albert G. Ellis, for many years a resident and prominent and highly respected citizen of Stevens Point.

Benjamin Fontaine
[Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) Transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
BENJAMIN FONTAINE (Rep.) of Green Bay, Brown County; was born February 27, 1837, in Plebrebais, Brabant, Belgium; received a common school education; is a hardware merchant; came to Wisconsin and settled in the town of Green Bay in 1855, and removed to the city of Green Bay in 1864; from 1860 to 1864 he lived in the town of Scott, Brown county, and was town treasurer in 1863; was elected member of assembly for 1880, receiving 877 votes against 560 for M. Resch, Democrat.

Albert Lewis Gray
(Brown County – Second District – The city of Fort Howard, the village of West Depere, and the towns of Ashwaubenon, Howard, Lawrence, Pittsfield, Suamico and the west district of Wrightstown. Population 10,871.)
[Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 541; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
ALBERT LEWIS GRAY (Dem.), of Fort Howard, was born in London, Canada, January 29, 1846; received a common school education; is a dry goods merchant by occupation; came to Wisconsin in 1849, settling at Green Bay, removing to Fort Howard two years later; has been member of county board of supervisors several terms; member of city council, member of school board, city treasurer, chief of fire department and mayor in 1881; was member of assembly in 1879; was commissioned captain of Bay City Light Guards, state militia, July 8, 1881; was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 799 votes against 425 for G. R. Woodward, republican.

George G. Greene
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]
GEORGE G. GREENE, Green Bay, was born in Herkimer county, New York, November 18, 1844, and came to Wisconsin when two years of age. His education was obtained in this state. He studied law with E. W. Keyes in Madison, and was graduated from the Columbia law school in New York, in 1868. He began practice at Green Bay in 1870, as a member of the firm of Ellis, Hastings & Green. Judge Ellis was elected to the bench in 1871, and the firm has since been Hastings & Green.

Thomas Greene
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]
Greene Thomas, Minneapolis. Res Hotel Plaza, office Soo bldg.. Railroad official. Born Marh 25, 1865 in Green Bay Wis, son of Platt and Sophia (WHyler) Greene. Married July 12, 1894 to Harriet May Khase. Educated in the common and high schools Green Bay Wis. First entered engineering dept of Milwaukee & Norther R R 1884-89; with C & N W R R 1889-90; with Soo R R 1890 to date; chief engineer of same since 1898. Member of Commercial Club.

Samuel D. Hastings Jr.
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]
SAMUEL D. HASTINGS, JR., Green Bay, was born in Philadelphia, June 19, 1841, and came with his parents to Walworth county, Wisconsin, in 1845. His father subsequently became a resident of Madison, where he was state treasurer four terms of two years each. The young Mr. Hastings graduated at Beloit College in 1863, and from the Albany, New York, law school in 1865. His preparatory study of the law had been with Abbott & Hutchinson at Madison. Having been admitted to the bar in due course, his practice was entered upon at Madison in partnership with E. W. Keyes in 1865, and continued the connection until 1867, when Mr. Hastings changed his field of business and residence to Green Bay, where he formed a partnership with E. H. Ellis, subsequently adding G. G. Greene to the firm, making it Ellis, Hastings & Greene, and when Mr. Ellis went upon the bench of the circuit court the firm became Hastings & Greene, which now continues. Prior to 1878 the supreme court was composed of one chief justice and two associate justices. During that year an amendment to the state constitution took effect, increasing the number of associate justices to four. It was mutually agreed that there should be no political contest over the positions, but that a democrat and a republican should be supported. Mr. Hastings received strong support from the bar and the press of this and adjoining circuits as the republican representative. But the matter was finally settled by the different parties in the legislature, which was in session at the time, making the nominations. In 1880, by the death of Chief Justice Ryan, a vacancy occurred in that office, and in the expectation that Judge Cole would be elevated to that position, Mr. Hastings was strongly supported by his professional brethren of all shades of politics to fill the vacancy that would be left in that contingency, but the choice fell upon another portion of the state. No one who knows Mr. Hastings doubts for a moment his eminent qualifications to fill the position with usefulness and honor.

John M. Hogan
(Brown County – First District – The city of Green Bay and the towns of Allouez, Green Bay, Humboldt, Preble and Scott. Population 12, 885.)
[Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), pgs. 540-541; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
JOHN M. HOGAN (Rep.), of Green Bay; was born in New York city, January 21, 1847; received a common school education; is a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1848 and settled in Washington county; served three months as a private in Co. G, 41st Wis. Vol. Infantry during the late war; was chairman of his town board in 1879, ‘80 and ’81; was elected to the assembly for 1882, receiving 792 votes against 685 for M. Resch, democrat.

Timothy O. Howe
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
TIMOTHY O. HOWE, Green Bay, was born in Oxford county, Maine, February 24, 1816. At the age of twelve he took large interest in politics, being fully persuaded that the salvation of the nation depended on the election of John Quincy Adams to the presidency.
At sixteen he had fully determined on the professional course, and spent two seasons at grammar school. At eighteen he went to the Maine Wesleyan Seminary, and at twenty was prepared to enter college. His father at this time decided against a college course, and the young man at once commenced his law studies in the office of Samuel P. Benson, of Winthrop, and subsequently with Judge Robinson, of Ellsworth. At twenty-three he moved to Readfield and commenced law practice side by side with Lot M. Morill, afterward his compeer in the United States senate.
In 1841, at the ripe age of twenty-five, he was married to Miss L. A. Hayes, a true down-east girl then, and most estimable and agreeable woman through all her subsequent career in life.
In 1842 Mr. Howe expressed a willingness to take the office of clerk of the court in his county, with the three thousand emoluments attached. It happened that on Mr. Kingsbury, an older resident, was of the same mind also, and obtained the nomination against him in the convention, but not the coveted office at election. The year following Mr. Howe received the nomination squarely against his former rival, and on election day carried the towns on the west side of the county by the largest whig majority ever cast, but the Kingsbury defection in the eastern towns lost him the election. So as his subsequent career turned out this defeat was the very best providence that could have happened to him. The next fall his friends of the west towns showed him their regard by electing him to the state legislature, where he took a prominent part as a debater beside of the late William Pitt Fessenden, the recognized leader of the house.
At this period his health failed him and his father and friends advised him to try Mr. Greeley’s panacea for young men and go west. Accordingly he set sail in the fall of 1845 and landed at the harbor of Green Bay on the 6th of October. He stopped here because he had seen one man from the Bay the previous summer, and he did not know anybody else in the western country. He came with no fixed notion of staying, but the charming weather of that fall worked favorably to his health, attached him to the place and he remained there.
Green Bay at that time, though the oldest town in the state, gave little hope or signs of promise; there was no industry exhibited, no enterprises, no business, except the small fur trade with the Indians. The people were bankrupt and the country desolate. Notwithstanding these discouraging signs Mr. Howe opened a law office, his whole possessions consisting of a few law books, a little furniture, and the unpurchasable stores of his brain, and these last have since stood him well in hand. Mr. Howe was soon favorably heard of in all parts of the territory, and upon its admission as a state in the Union in 1848 he received, much to his surprise, the whig nomination for congress. There was no show for any whig candidate in those days. In 1850 he was elected circuit judge, his district taking in Fond du Lac, Sheboygan and all the country north. At that time circuit judges served also as judges of the supreme court. In 1855 he resigned his judgeship for the simple reason that he couldn’t afford to give the time and labors to the state and bear all his expenses out of a fifteen hundred dollar salary.
While on the bench he took no active part in politics further than to write a letter expressing his approbation of the organization of the republican party at Madison in 1854. After his resignation he entered into the fall campaign of 1855, strongly supporting Mr. Bashford, the republican candidate for governor, against Mr. Barstow. In the winter following, Mr. Howe took part in the most extraordinary trial which resulted in ousting William A. Barstow from the office of governor, and putting Coles Bashford in his place. Judge Howe was associated in this case with E. G. Ryan, J. H. Knowlton and Alexander W. Randall, on the side of Mr. Bashford. Johnathan E. Arnold, Harlow S. Orton and Matt. H. Carpenter were enlisted for Mr. Barstow. These were all eminent practitioners of that day. Judge Howe made the closing argument for the Bashford side of the case. During the early part of the trial, Mr. Ryan switched off from the case, and his place was assigned to Mr. Howe. Mr. Ryan was in political sympathy with Mr. Barstow, but he knew that the canvass of the gubernatorial votes was a fraud.
The canvass for the office of United States senator, in place of Henry Dodge, opened with the meeting of the legislature in 1857. Mr. Howe was finally chosen after a protracted contest. The next senatorial election was held in the winter of 1861. Mr. Howe had not much confidence in his nomination, but he was nominated and elected by the republicans of the legislature.
The election of Mr. Howe to the United States senate at this time, was a just tribute to noble fidelity and stout-hearted independence, with the secession movements then going on at the South furnished practical information of the iniquity and folly of the ultra state-rights doctrines he had opposed. Never was fidelity more justly honored in our state, never was political wisdom more truly vindicated.
Mr. Howe’s course in the senate needs no setting forth in this sketch. He went to the capitol at the most critical history of our government, when secession clouds filled the whole heavens. Amid the distraction of opinion, Mr. Howe made his first speech. He told the Southern gentlemen that whether the President’s message meant peace or war, depended upon themselves, upon the course they should pursue. These were just the words needed to be said, and had marked effect. All through, during the progress of the war, Judge Howe was strongly on the side of the administration and its measures for the vigorous prosecution of the war. He favored legal-tender issues, and made a speech on the subject. And so, on all the great questions of states-rights, finance and reconstruction after the war, has the political wisdom of the great senator been made manifest.
Judge Howe was on the committee on finance, his first term in the senate, and was eight years chairman of the committee on claims. In the winter of 1867 Judge Howe was reelected to the United States senate, and again in 1873, both times without opposition. In 1875 Senator Howe was appointed, by President Grant, one of the commissioners to treat with the Indians, relative to the purchase of the Black Hills territory.
During the last term of President Grant, a vacancy happening in the bench of the United States supreme court, Senator Howe was tendered the appointment. The office was the height of his ambition, but a higher sense of honor forbade the acceptance; the opposition was in power in his state, and if he should make a vacancy in the senatorship, it would be filled by a democrat. This act of self-denial and loyalty to the party who had confided in him, was, in the highest sense, commendable.
Upon the accession of Hayes to the presidency, Senator Howe was one of those in congress who disapproved of the new President’s southern policy, and was outspoken against it, continuing, notwithstanding, on good terms with the administration. At the close of his last term in the senate Judge Howe was a candidate for renomination, and failed of receiving it solely on account of advanced age, and that public sentiment was against long continuance in office, while younger men desired to share the honors of the high position.
Senator Howe’s senatorial career having terminated simultaneously with the inauguration of President Garfield, his name was mentioned in connection with a cabinet appointment, but his claims were not pressed, and he subsequently was appointed, by the President, commissioner to the international money conference, held in Paris in the summer of 1881. He accordingly crossed the ocean in company with the other members of the commission. At the sessions of this body Judge Howe took a prominent part. Before the final closing of the conference he was called home to his sick wife, who soon after died at Washington, in July 1881.
Judge Howe was always a conspicuous member of the senate, and of the republican party. In congress he was a statesman more than a partisan. No man has come out of congressional life with a clearer record; no senator ever had a more universal approval by his constituents of his course in the body of which he was for so long a period of years a member. Judge Howe was appointed by President Arthur postmaster-general, and entered upon the duties January 5, 1882.
Judge Howe is a good public speaker, of a logical turn of mind, and on suitable occasions is capable of gratifying an audience with a rich vein of humor inimitably expressed. Although having seen may years of public service of high responsibilities, he is now, when nearly at the allotted age of man, as vigorous as in more youthful years.  Tall and commanding in personal experience, modest and retiring almost to a fault, true to his friends, just to all, no citizen of this state is the recipient of more genuine respect and hearty esteem than Timothy O. Howe. We have here given but a bare skeleton of our quaint senator, devoid of the flesh and blood that make up the private and social life of the man. But nothing more needs to be said. His conduct in office and his standing before the country, more than any words that can be framed, attest his public and private worth.

Hon. Thomas R. Hudd
GREEN BAY
[Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Thomas R. Hudd, a native of Buffalo, New York, was born on the 1st of October, 1835, and is the son of Richard Hudd and Mary nee’ Harrison. His father, an ornamental painter and designer by occupation, was a man of decided character, and took special care in the training of his only child, giving him all the advantages that his means could afford. Thomas removed from his native place and settled in Chicago, Illinois, with his widowed mother when he was seven years old, and there received his early education in the public and select schools; and also worked three years at the printer's trade, to earn money with which to complete his education, being engaged on the “Western Citizen,” a weekly paper, and also on the “Evening Journal.” With the money thus earned, he attended the Lawrence University, at Appleton, Wisconsin, and after closing his studies there, began the study of law, and in 1856 was admitted to the bar. At once entering upon the practice of his profession in Appleton, he continued it with good success during a period of twelve years, and at the expiration of that time, in 1868, established himself in Green Bay, and there opened that practice in which he is still engaged, and in which he has become widely known as an honorable, and a shrewd and successful attorney. At the present time, 1876, he is associated with Mr. Wigman, under the firm name of Hudd and Wigman. Aside from his regular duties he has served in many public capacities, and always with credit to himself and satisfaction to all interested. In 1856 he was elected district attorney for Otogamie County, and reelected in 1858. During the years 1862 and 1863 he represented the twenty-second district in the State senate, and in 1868 was elected a member of the general assembly from Otogamie County, and reelected to the same position in 1875 from Brown County. He was chosen city attorney of Green Bay in 1873, and in 1876 was again elected to the State senate from the second district. In all these varied positions he has shown himself worthy of the trusts that have been reposed in him, and by his able and efficient service has contributed largely to the welfare of his State, and gained the highest respect of all with whom he has had to do. His practice is general, he having been admitted to all the courts of Wisconsin and also to the supreme court of the United States. At the present time, he has the largest federal practice of any lawyer in his city.  In his political sentiments, Mr. Hudd is identified with the democratic party.
In his religious views, though not connected with any church organization, he inclines toward the Unitarian. Unsectarian in his opinions, he makes the rule of his actions that expressed in the words “Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them.”
He possesses most excellent personal and social qualities, and the best estimate of his character and worth may be formed from the high regard with which he is held by those who know him best.
Mr. Hudd was married on the 7th of June, 1857, to Miss Parthenia S. Peak, who died September 24, 1870, leaving two sons and three daughters. He was married a second time on the 2nd of October, 1872, to Mary Kill, and by her has two daughters.

THOMAS R. HUDD (Dem.), of Green Bay, was born in the city of Buffalo, October 1, 1835; came to Wisconsin in 1853 and settled at Appleton, Outagamie county, thence in 1868 he removed to Green Bay, his present place of residence; was educated in the common school, printing office and Lawrence university; is an attorney-at-law; was district attorney of Outagamie county 1856-7, city attorney of Green Bay 1873-4; was state senator from the 22d district 1862 and ’63, member of assembly from Outagamie county in 1868 and from Brown county 1875, state senator from the 2d district in 1876, ’77, ’78 and ’79; delegate from the state at large to democratic national convention at Cincinnati in 1880; was elected state senator for 1882 and ’83, receiving 2,152 votes against 1,777 for James J. Rasmussen, republican. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 529; transcribed by Mary Saggio]

THOMAS R. HUDD, Green Bay, was a native of New York state, having been born in the city of Buffalo, October 1, 1835. His parents were Richard and Mary Harrison Hudd. The father was an ornamental painter and designer; was a man of decided character, and took especial care in the training of this his only child, giving him all the advantages that his means could afford. Dying when his son was yet young, the widowed mother moved to Chicago, Illinois, taking her son with her when he was seven years of age. In the public and select schools of Pontiac with H. L. Stevens, and with Baldwin & Draper, and was admitted to the bar in 1853. In September of that year he removed to Ontonagon, Lake Superior, Michigan, and there commenced the practice of his profession. He remained in this place until 1869, and was associated a part of the time in a law partnership with Jay A. Hubbell,— who is at present a member of congress from that district — until he removed to Houghton, and afterward with Judge W. D. Williams. He then removed to Appleton, Wisconsin, for the purpose of giving to his children the advantages of an education at Lawrence University, and where he could conveniently look after his extensive interests in copper and iron mines, and pine lands at Lake Superior. In this latter city, besides his law business, he has given a large part of his time to looking after his mining and real estate business. Mr. Jones while residing in the Lake Superior mining district was interested in and took an active part in all public matters relating to the development of that country. He held several offices of trust, and was a member of the Michigan legislature for two years; was prosecuting attorney for several years, and was circuit court commissioner and judge of probate of Ontonagon county. Mr. Jones was married in 1854 to Miss Elizabeth H. Weller, of Pontiac, and they have five sons, one of whom is an attorney at law in Colorado. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]

THOMAS R. HUDD, (Dem.), of Green Bay, was born in the city of Buffalo, N.Y., October 1, 1835; came to Wisconsin in 1853 and settled at Appleton, Outagamie county, thence in 1868 he removed to Green Bay, has present place of residence; was educated in the common school, printing office and Lawrence University; in an attorney-at-law; was district attorney of Outagamie county 1856-7, city attorney of green Bay 1873-4; was state senator from the 22d district 1862 and ’63, member of assembly from Outagamie county in 1868 and from Brown county in 1874, state senator from the 2d district in 1862 and ’63, member of assembly from Outagamie county in 1868 and from Brown county in 1875, state senator from the 2d district in 1876, ’77, ’78 and ’79; delegate from the state at large to democratic national convention at Cincinnati in 1880; was elected state senator in 1881, receiving 2,152 votes against 1,777 for James J. Rasmussen, republican. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 473, 474; transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Rufus B. Kellogg
GREEN BAY
[Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Pictorial Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Rufus B. Kellogg was born in Amherst, Massachusetts, April 15, 1837. His father, a prosperous merchant and farmer, was a descendant in the fifth generation of Lieutenant Joseph Kellogg, who was of Scotch descent, emigrated from England about the year 1640, and settled in Hadley, Massachusetts, in 1661. His mother, Nancy Stetson, was a descendant in the seventh generation of "Cornet" Robert Stetson, who settled in Scituate, Massachusetts, in the year 1634. Mr. Kellogg was graduated at Amherst College in the class of 1858, and went directly into active business in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, first as messenger, soon after as cashier, of the First National Bank. His brother, Ansel W. Kellogg, was the earliest banker in the place, and president of the same. After the death of his brother, in 1870, impaired health compelled him to resign his cashiership, and three years were devoted to rest and travel in Europe, California and Mexico. During this enforced leisure some attention was given to the subject of the genealogy of the Kellogg family.
On the 1st of January 1874, the Kellogg National Bank of Green Bay was organized, of which he was chosen president. He is now a director and one of the principal stockholders in the First National Bank of Oshkosh; also has small interests in the Commercial National Bank of Chicago, Merchants Savings, Loan and Trust Company of Chicago, and the Bank of New York National Banking Association, of New York. The banks under his immediate management have prospered, not from rapid gains, but through absence of losses. Under a new statute of Massachusetts the alumni of Amherst College elects a portion of its trustees. In 1875 Mr. Kellogg was the first one chosen. On the 21st of April 1874, he was married to Miss Ellen E. Bigelow, of Milwaukee, daughter of Dr. Thomas Bigelow, formerly of Burlington, Vermont, and Hartford, New York.

David Marsh Kelly
[Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill
DAVID M. KELLY (Rep.) of Green Bay, was born in the town of Hamilton, Essex County, Mass., February 11, 1841; received an academic education; is a lawyer by profession; came to Wisconsin in the spring of 1867, and settled at Appleton, but removed to Green Bay the next year; served for eighteen months in the Union army during the late civil war, and was present and took part in important operations; he was a delegate to the republican state convention of 1877, and chosen to preside over that body. Was a member of the assembly in 1877 and ’78, receiving the Republican vote for speaker in 1878; was speaker of the assembly in 1879; was elected state senator for 1880-81, receiving 2,537 votes against 1,698 for M. C. Touhey (Democrat), and 140 for William Monroe (Greenbacker).

DAVID MARSH KELLY, Green Bay, was born in Hamilton, Massachusetts, in 1841. He is the son of Reverend George W. and Mary Marsh Kelly. His father was born in Virginia, and is a Congregational minister; his mother was born in Massachusetts, and belongs to one of the oldest and most respectable families in New England. When about ten years of age, he removed, with his parents, who are still living, to Haverhill, Massachusetts. He studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1865, to practice in all the courts of that state. Immediately after his admission he formed a partnership with H. N. Merrill, a prominent and able lawyer, and commenced the practice of law in Haverhill. In 1867 he removed from Massachusetts to Appleton in this state, and was soon afterward admitted to practice in all the state and United States courts of Wisconsin. Here he became a director of the Green Bay and Mississippi Canal Company, and took charge of a line of steamboats running in the interests of that company on the upper and lower Fox rivers, and on Lake Winnebago. In 1868 Mr. Kelly became vice-president and superintendent of the Lake and River Transportation Company, a corporation running steamboats on the upper and lower Fox rivers, and propellers on the great lakes, and of which company ex-governor Horatio Seymour, of New York, was president; and in the spring of that year he removed from Appleton to Green Bay, where he has ever since resided. In 1869 he purchased the interest of the Dousmans in the property and business of Dousman & Elmore, of Fort Howard, on the west side of Fox river, opposite Green Bay, in this state, then owners of the Green Bay elevator, and doing an elevator, grain and wholesale commission business. A partnership to continue the business was formed by Andrew E. Elmore and James H. Elmore, of Fort Howard, and Mr. Kelly, under the name of Elmore & Kelly. In 1870 he became a director and vice-president of the Green Bay and Lake Pepin Railway Company, a corporation organized for the purpose of constructing a railroad from Green Bay to the Mississippi river. After careful investigation of the project he became convinced that there was great merit in the enterprise, and that with proper effort the projected road could be built, and he therefore resigned his offices with the company, and entered into a contract to construct the entire line, binding himself to complete the road to the Mississippi on or before January 1, 1876. The first rail was laid in 1871, and in twenty-five consecutive months from that time the work of 214 miles was completed. This road is now known as the Green Bay and Minnesota railroad, of which Mr. Kelly was vice-president and general manager until December 1877, when he resigned to attend to his private business. During the rebellion Mr. Kelly served eighteen months in the Union army, and took part in the seige of Port Hudson and other important operations of the war. Heretofore keeping aloof from taking active part in politics, Mr. Kelly was nominated in the fall of 1876, as the republican candidate for member of assembly in a strong democratic district of Brown county. He was elected by a large majority and served as a member of the committee on the judiciary of the assembly of 1877. He was a member of the republican state convention, held in June 1877, and presided over its deliberations as its president, and filled the position with such general satisfaction that, on his reelection to the assembly the same year, he was the republican candidate for speaker for the session of 1878. Being elected to the assembly for the third time, he was chosen speaker for the session of 1879. During the session of 1879 he was favorably named for a compromise candidate for United States senator, with prospect of election if any other than one of the three prominent candidates had been a necessity. In the summer of the same year his friends wished to bring him out for governor, but he gave no encouragement to their friendly offers in that direction. In the fall of 1879 the republicans of Brown county nominated him for state senator, to which position he was elected by a large majority in a strong opposition constituency, and he had the honor and distinction of being the first republican in the senate of this state from Brown county. His present term of office as state senator expired in 1881.
Mr. Kelly is in the enjoyment of vigorous and perfect health, and while not in the active practice of his profession is diligently and energetically engaged in furthering useful and important business enterprises. In the two sessions of the senate at which Senator Kelly served, he was a conspicuous and a leading member of that body. When speaker of the other house, he performed the duties of the chair with distinguished ability and won universal popularity. Mr. Kelly has been frequently mentioned for the office of governor of the state, as also for United States senator. Although a stalwart republican always, he has never been either a professional or a scheming politician. His many manly qualities command the respect of all classes and all creeds. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]

Niels P. Larsen
[Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) pages 475-476; transcribed by FoFG mz]
NIELS P. LARSEN (Rep.) was born in Denmark, June 4, 1 853, but came to America and to Wisconsin when but a lad of 8 years, settling with his parents on a farm in the town of New Denmark, Brown county, in 1861, where he received a common school education. In 1875 he purchased a farm in New Denmark where he lived until 1918 when he sold it to his eldest son and purchased a home in the village of Denmark. He was elected to the assembly in 1918 by 104 votes, receiving 1,416 votes to 1,312 for Henry F. Jensen (Dem.). For several years Mr. Larsen has been active in the work of the Society of Equity in Brown county and the state organization.
Abram Nicholas Lucas, the efficient and popular general foreman of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad shops, is a native of Wisconsin, born at Green Bay, May 22, 1862. His father was Abraham Lucas, born in Madison county, Ohio, Nov. 26, 1836, and his mother was Mary Van Delor, born in Holland, Feb. 29, 1844. The father moved from Ohio to Wisconsin about 1854 and located in Fort How-ard. Mary Van Delor came to America the same year and also located in Fort How-ard, where she met and married Abraham "Lucas, who was engaged in the saw mill business. In 1871 or 1872 Abraham Lucas was City Marshal of that city and after his term of office expired he followed the tinsmith's trade until 1803, when he retired. For the last five years he has been street commissioner of Green Bay. Mr. Lucas al-ways takes an active part in politics and has had the honor of representing his party as alderman for four years. Three sons and three daughters were born to Mr. and Mrs. Lucas, of whom five are still living - . Mr. Lucas enlisted at Lincoln's last call for volunteers during the war of the Rebellion and served until mustered out of the service. Abram, the subject of this review, received a practical education in the public schools of Green Bay and after leaving school worked with his father one year before entering the employ of D. M. Burns, who ran a machine shop and foundry. Six months later he entered the boiler shops of D. Al. Burns, where he remained two years learning the boilermaker's trade. Subsequently he finished learning the trade with Larry Brothers, of Green Bay. In 1881 Mr. Lucas went to Escanaba, Mich., and worked for the C. & N. W. R. R. until December, 1882. A month later, in January, 1883, he entered the employ of the Milwaukee Northern Railroad, as journeyman boilermaker and shortly after was made foreman of the shops, where he remained until 1901. At that time he was transferred to Dubuque and placed in charge of the boiler works. Mr. Lucas' services proved so efficient at Dubuque that in April, 1904, he came to Milwaukee to take charge of the boiler shops for the Milwaukee railroad. In three years he was promoted to general foreman, which responsible position he still holds. Mr. Lucas has earned his promotions by his strict attention to duty, thorough knowledge of his subject and his personal attention to all parts of the business. Mr. Lucas is a Republican, and although he has never aspired to office, always takes an active interest in politics, and has at various times had the honor of introducing noted speakers at railroad men's meetings. In 1896 he was active in organizing a Railroad Men's Sound Money Club at Green Bay, Wis. Mr. Lucas is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Royal Arcanum and the Maccabees, and in the last two societies has held all the offices of honor. He is also a member of the International Boilermakers' Association, of which he is third vice-president. On Dec. 25, 1883, Mr. Lucas was united in marriage with Ella Colista, the daughter of Captain C. A. and Frances Freeman. Mrs. Lucas was born in Oconto, Wis., where her parents were old settlers. For many years Air. Freeman was captain and owner of a lake steamer. His wife died in 1905 and since her death he has lived very quietly. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lucas : Fred A., engaged in the signal department of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad ; Ninabel, a graduate of the Dubuque high school; Irene, a student in the Milwaukee high school ; William D., and two children who died in infancy. The family are members of the Presbyterian church of Green Bay, Wis.  [Source: MEMOIRS OF MILWAUKEE COUNTY FROM THE EARLIEST HISTORICAL TIMES DOWN TO THE PRESENT, INCLUDING A GENEALOGICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF REPRESENTATIVE FAMILIES IN MILWAUKEE COUNTY, VOL II; Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki, August 23, 2014]

Morgan L. Martin
GREEN BAY
[Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
The subject of this sketch, a native of Martinsburg, Lewis County, New York, was born on the 31st of March, 1805, and is the son of Walter Martin and Sarah nee Turner. His native place was named in honor of his father, who had bought the tract of land on which the town stands. Morgan's boyhood presented few phases in distinction from that of other boys; he early developed a fondness for study, and after completing his preparatory education, pursued a regular course and graduated at Hamilton College in 1824, and later, spent two and a half years in the study of law at Lowville, Lewis County, New York. At the expiration of this time he removed to Detroit, Michigan, and there completed his studies, and was admitted to the bar in 1827. Thus equipped with a thorough education, untiring energy, enterprise and a determination to succeed, he removed to Green Bay, Wisconsin, and began the practice of his profession, the courts which he attended being held at Prairie du Chien, Green Bay and Mackinaw. He soon built up a remunerative practice and became known as a successful and skillful advocate, and during a period of twenty-five years gave himself unremittingly to his work. In 1851, he became interested in the Fox River improvement, being the originator of the project, and gave to it his attention till 1858. Previous to this movement he had accumulated a small capital which he had invested in lands, and which had grown to a handsome fortune; most of it, however, was lost in this enterprise. At the opening of the war in 1861 he entered the United States service as paymaster, and held that position till 1S65, when he resigned, and, returning to his home in Green Bay, resumed his practice, in which he has for the most part been engaged until the present time (1876).
Aside from the regular duties of his profession Mr. Martin has been called to fill many positions of responsibility and public trust. In 1831 he was elected to the legislature of Michigan, and served in that capacity as long as Michigan remained a territory. After the organization of Wisconsin he represented his district in the legislature from 1838 till 1844, when he resigned the position. In the following year he was elected a delegate to congress from Wisconsin and served one term. He was president of the constitutional convention of Wisconsin in 1848, and a member of the State legislature during the sessions of 1855, 1858-9 and 1874. He is now county judge of Brown County, having been elected in 1875. Beginning thus with the early history of Wisconsin, Judge Martin has grown up with the State, and his name is coupled with many of its important and interesting events. As I an attorney he is a man of recognized ability, while as a judge he is popular and respected by all for the clearness and justness of his decisions. He has been a close observer and profound student, and has gained a knowledge of men and things which, with his fine conversational powers and genial disposition, renders him an agreeable social companion.
His political views are democratic, though not affiliating with any party, as now constituted; and in religion he is identified with the Episcopal Church.
Judge Martin was married on the 25th of July, 1837, to Miss Elizabeth Smith, daughter of Colonel Melancthon Smith, of Plattsburgh, New York, and sister of Rear Admiral Smith, United States Navy, by whom he has two sons and two daughters.

MORGAN L. MARTIN, Green Bay, was born in Martinsburg, Lewis county, New York, March 31, 1805. He completed the common school course earlier than usual. Entering Hamilton College he graduated in 1824 at the age of nineteen. He pursued legal studies for two years in the office of Collins & Parish, at Lowville, New York. At the end of this time removed to Detroit, Michigan, where he continued the study of law in the office of H. S. Cole, and was admitted to the bar in 1827. He removed to Green Bay in May of the same year, and became the legal adviser of the place. In July 1833 he visited the mouth of the Milwaukee river and there found Peter and Soloman Jeneau’s cabin, and in September of the same year he again visited the place and entered into a verbal contract with Soloman Juneau for the undivided half of his claim, composing the territory upon which the city of Milwaukee now stands. He together with Juneau made the first plat of the city, and put it upon record in 1835. To Morgan L. Martin, as well as to Soloman Juneau, belongs the honor of founding the city of Milwaukee. In 1851 he became identified with the Fox River improvements, and gave it his attention until 1858. In this enterprise he lost much of his fortune but preserved his integrity. In 1861 he entered the United States service as paymaster. He retained this position until 1865, when he resigned and returned to Green Bay, where he resumed his legal practice.
In 1831 he was chosen a member of the territorial legislature of Michigan, and served in that body until Michigan became a state. After the organization of Wisconsin territory he served in her assembly from 1838 to 1844, after which he declined a reelection. In the following year he was elected to congress and served one term. He was president of the second constitutional convention of Wisconsin in 1848, and member of the state legislature during the sessions of 1855, 1858, 1859, and 1874. After that date he withdrew from politics. In 1875 he was chosen county judge of Brown county, where he still serves. Judge Martin is one of the pioneers of Wisconsin, both in citizenship and in the practice of the law, as well as law maker. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]]

Patrick Henry Moran
(Brown County – Third District – Village of East Depete, and the towns of Bellevue, Depere, Eaton, Glenmore, Holland, Morrison, New Denmark, Rockland, and the east district of Wrightstown. Population 10,934.)  [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 541; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
PATRICK HENRY MORAN (Dem.), of Morrison, was born in New Castle on Tyne, England, March 14, 1845; received a common school education; is a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1848 and settled at Cedarburg, Ozaukee county, removing thence to Holland, Brown county, in 1866, where he has since resided; was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 883 votes, against 213 for M. Vandenburg, and 80 for George Oleson, both independent candidates.

William Henry Norris, Junior
GREEN BAY
[Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
The life history of William H. Norris, junior, while it has many experiences in common with those of others, yet has an identity peculiarly its own, and is marked by a will-power and an independent force of character that entitle it to most honorable mention in the list of prominent, self-made men. A native of Hallowell, Maine, he was born on the 24th of July, 1832, and is the son of Rev. William H. Norris and Sarah M. nee’ Mahan. His father was a Methodist minister.
William received his education at Yale College, and after completing his studies, spent one year in teaching. His tastes early led him to choose the legal profession, and in 1855 he began the study of law at the Dana Law School of Cambridge, Massachusetts. At the expiration of one year he removed to the West and settled in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and there continued his studies in the office of J. H. Howe, and was admitted to the bar in 1857.
After his admission he spent one year with Mr. Howe as clerk, and in 1859 entered into partnership with him, continuing the business under the firm name of J. H. Howe and Norris till 1862, when Mr. Howe withdrew. He then conducted the business in his own name till 1870, and in the following year associated with himself Mr. Thomas B. Chynoweath, his present partner. Their practice has been general, but they have given special attention to mercantile and railroad law.
Since 1864 he has been local attorney for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, and since 1870, general attorney for the Green Bay and Minnesota Railroad. As an attorney, he stands at the head of the bar in his city, and has a larger practice than any other lawyer, having been admitted to practice in all the courts of the United States, except the United States supreme court.
His religious views are Congregational. In politics, he is identified with the republican party. He was elected superintendent of public schools in 1859.
Mr. Norris was married on the 31st of January 1859, to Miss Hannah B. Harriman, by whom he has two daughters and one son.
He began life without money, and by persevering and continued effort has made for himself a wide reputation as an able lawyer, and accumulated a moderate competence. He has lived in South America and considerably in the United States, and by careful observation accumulated a large fund of valuable information. Personally and socially he has a high standing, and by his generous manner, pleasing address, and manly bearing, has endeared himself to a large circle of warm friends.

William Henry Norris was born at Hallowell, Maine, July 24, 1832. His father was Rev. William Henry Norris, a Methodist clergyman for fifty years, who died in 1878. Rev. Mr. Norris shared the lot of itinerant ministers, living for different periods in Brooklyn and in New Haven, and in 1839, at the age of thirty-four, going to South America in charge of Methodist missionary churches. During this time he was located in Montevideo and Buenos Ayres. He endured the privation of a missionary's life and never had a salary beyond a thousand dollars. He was able, however, to afford his children a liberal education. He was descended from a family of Irish farmers, who settled in New Hampshire about 1750. The subject of this sketch attended no school until past fifteen years of age, receiving his early education at the hands of his father. He then fitted for college at Dwight's High School, in Brooklyn, and in 1850 entered Yale college, where he graduated in 1854 as valedictorian of his class. While he was in college he was a member of Linonia, Alpha Delta Phi and Phi Beta Kappa societies. After leaving college he taught school a year at Marmaroneck, New York. He then took part of the law course at Harvard University. A year later he came West and settled in Green Bay, Wisconsin; continued his studies in the law office of James H. Howe, and in 1857 was admitted to the bar. He remained with Mr. Howe until 1862. The next ten years he carried on his law practice alone. He was then associated professionally with Thomas B. Chynoweth for six years, and subsequently with E. H. Ellis. Twenty-three years were spent in the practice of law at Green Bay. During the greater part of this time Mr. Norris was local attorney of the Chicago & Northwestern railroad, and for six years attorney for the Green Bay & Minnesota railroad, now the Green Bay & Western. These engagements led him to make a specialty of railroad law. He moved to Minneapolis in 1880, and opened an office for general practice. In January, 1882, he was selected by the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company as its state solicitor. In his trial of claims and in all his practice in behalf of his railroad clients he has been highly successful, having, in several cases, advised his clients to disregard acts of the legislature as unconstitutional, contentions upon which the court has, in each case, ruled in his favor. In politics he is a Republican, but does not always vote the entire ticket selected by his party. He is a member of all the Masonic orders, and a member of Plymouth Congregational church. He was married at Green Bay in 1859 to Hannah B. Harriman, daughter of Joab Harriman, a ship builder of Waterville, Maine. They have three children, Louise, wife of Alfred D. Rider, of Kansas City; Georgia and Harriman. [Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

James Jesse Rasmussen
[Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) page: 485; transcribed by Tammy Clark]
JAMES JESSE RASMUSSEN (Rep.), of Fort Howard, was born in the village of Stoensa Langeland, Denmark, September 29, 1835; received at common school education; is by occupation a farmer; came to this country in 1847 and settled first in Milwaukee, removing in Brown county in 1849; was chairman of the town of New Denmark in 1859, ’60 and of Ashwaubenon for nine years pat; chairman of county board for three years past; was elected to the assembly of 1881; was a candidate for state senator in the fall of 1881, and was elected member of assembly for 1883, receiving 958 votes against 679 for Thomas Norton, democrat, 187 for A. T. Buckman, prohibitionist, and 143 for B. F. Garlock, greenbacker.

Colonel Charles D. Robinson
GREEN BAY
[Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Pictorial Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Prominent among the leading men of Wisconsin is he whose name heads this sketch. A native of Marcellus, New York, he was born on the 22d of October 1822. While yet a child he removed with his parents to Brockport, New York, and was soon afterward left an orphan by the death of his father. Prior to his twelfth year he received such school privileges as his circumstances would permit, and from that time until after he attained his majority earned his living by clerking in a store; and working at the printer's trade. He had been employed in a printing office at Buffalo, New York, prior to 1846, but during that year settled at Green Bay, Wisconsin, and in connection with his brother; established the "Green Bay. Advocate," a paper, which has been published continuously under the same firm name and in the same politics (democratic) for more than twenty-eight years. In 1850 Mr. Robinson was elected to the Wisconsin legislature, and in the following year he was elected secretary of state for a term of two years, ending December 31, 1853, receiving his election by a majority of twelve thousand. He was afterward candidate for governor, but was defeated by a majority of eight thousand. He has also been mayor of his city two terms, and during his early residence there was for one or two terms clerk of the court. With these exceptions he has held no official positions, and although he is an active politician, prefers to stand with the "rank and file" of his party.
At the opening of the rebellion in 1861 he tendered his services to Governor Randall in any capacity in which he might be useful, and was at once assigned to the staff of Brigadier-General Rufus King, who was then organizing the 1st Wisconsin Brigade. With General King he participated in the movements of the army of the Potomac during 1861 and 1862, and having a natural aptitude for engineering operations was assigned to build several military bridges, one of which was the bridge across the Rappahannock, at Fredericksburg, over which marched the first northern army that occupied that city. In the latter part of 1862 his health became so impaired that he was obliged to return north, and obtaining a leave of absence reached his home in a very precarious condition. Finding that his complete recovery was doubtful he resigned his commission. Near the close of the war he was tendered by the governor the colonelcy of the 5oth Wisconsin Regiment, then organizing at Madison, but hostilities having practically ceased by the surrender of General Lee, he declined the honor.
His restoration to health came very slowly, and it was several years before he could again engage in active business. In 1868, with his wife, he crossed the ocean, visiting England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and Holland, the journey occupying one year and completely restoring his health. During his travels he wrote a profuse series of letters to his papers at home, which, for vivid descriptive qualities and pleasant treatment of topics pertaining to those countries, have been widely admired.
Although not brought up in the more abstruse branches of education, Colonel Robinson has, in the course of his editorial and practical career, made his way through the most accessible fields of modern culture, and is noted for his interest in educational and charitable institutions of the times. He has had a place on the board of visitors to the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, and at different times to the Wisconsin State University at Madison. He has lectured before various college societies in Wisconsin, and since the establishment of the two Wisconsin State hospitals for the insane has been on the board of management of one or the other of them. As an editorial writer he is eminently successful. His paper has been marked with a broad and genial treatment of the topics of the times. Although a democrat in principle, he does not always adhere to the closely drawn party lines, but exercises a generous liberality. However hot a political campaign may have been, no man's personal character has ever been assailed by his paper. This doubtless accounts for the long and prosperous career of that sheet, together with the fact that its principle has been to preserve in its columns that courteous and unexceptionable language, self-respect and gentlemanly conduct which are required in the home and parlor.
Mr. Robinson was first married in 1847, to Miss Sarah A. Wilcox, who died in 1852; in 1854 he married Abbie C. Ballou, of Rhode Island.

David Ernest Sedgwick
[Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) Transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
DAVID ERNEST SEDGWICK (Rep.), of Wrightstown, Brown county, was born November 12, 1850, in Bloomingdale, Illinois; had an academic and medical education, graduating from Rush Medical College in 1875; is a physician; came to Wisconsin in 1875; was elected assemblyman for 1890, receiving 644 votes against 248 for Peter July, Democrat, and 553 for A. Gray, Greenbacker.

James H. Summers
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota (Publ. 1900) Transcribed by Kim Mohler
JAMES H. SUMMERS, who is gaining a good support by tilling the soil of township 134, range 56, in Ransom county, and incidentally laying aside a competence for future years, is a representative citizen of his community. He has gained his possessions unaided and it is to his industry and honesty that his success is due. He makes his home on section 22, and is surrounded by all the comforts of country life.
Our subject was born in Green Bay, Wisconsin, December 25, 1858, and was a son of James and Margaret (Hughes) Summers, the former a native of Limerick, Ireland, and the latter of Dublin. When eighteen years of age our subject left home and went to the lumber camps of Michigan. He went to Lisbon, North Dakota, in March, 1882, and as a carpenter worked at building in that city for some time. He then began farming and has met with success in that line of work. He is interested in raising horses and his stallion, “Champion,” is known throughout the county. Mr. Summers has thoroughly improved his farm and his buildings are of substantial construction and neat design. His barn is 40x60 feet, and his well, which furnishes excellent water, is fitted with a windmill and facilitates the work of the place.
Our subject was married, in 1885, to Miss Ellen Glasheen. Mr. and Mrs. Summers are the parents of six children, as follows: James C., William W., John A., Leo A., Francis and Joseph. Mr. Summers favors the principles of the Republican party, but supports the men which in his opinion will best serve his community. He is firm in his convictions of right and is a man of progressive ideas and public spirit. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.

William C. E. Thomas
GREEN BAY
[Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
The subject of this sketch, a native of Muncy, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, was born on the 21st of November, 1818, and is the son of Arthur Thomas, a merchant, and Susan nee’ Gillespie. His boyhood, very like that of others, presented no marked characteristics. He received a good English education in the public schools, and in an academy at Milton, Pennsylvania, and after closing his studies, served an apprenticeship of four years, learning the printer's trade. In 1839, being then twenty-one years of age, he left his home, and removing to the West, settled at Galena, Illinois, where, four years later, he engaged in the publication of the "Galena Gazette." At the expiration of six years of successful work, he was forced by impaired health to close out his interests here, and removing to Green Bay, Wisconsin, erected a large tannery, and built up an extensive business. In 1851, having accumulated sufficient capital, he established himself in the mercantile trade, opening a store of general merchandise, and continued thus employed during a period of six years, in which time he became widely known as a thorough, reliable business man. Selling his mercantile interests in 1857, he spent the next two years as a forwarding and commission merchant, and at the same time engaged in the steamboat business. He was next employed as express agent, and in this, as in all other capacities in which he had acted, showed himself most worthy of the trust reposed in him. Aside from his regular business, he has been honored by his fellow-citizens with many responsible positions, and in no single instance has he failed to acquit himself with credit.
Mr. Thomas, thus beginning life with no capital other than his own native powers, has so turned the circumstances into which he was thrown, that he has accumulated a competence, and by strict  adherence to principle, has gained the reputation wherever he is known, of being a conscientious, prompt and true man. Coming to Wisconsin at an early day he has grown up with the State, and in all matters pertaining to its growth, and especially to the development of his own city, he has heartily lent his influence and support. He has traveled extensively throughout the United States, and gained an experience and a fund of knowledge which, combined with his excellent social qualities, render him a most agreeable companion.
In 1854 he was elected the first mayor that Green Bay ever had; five years later he was chosen city clerk and justice of the peace, and was reelected to the office of clerk for each year till 1872. In 1871 he was appointed postmaster by President Grant, and still holds that office. His political sentiments are republican. He was married on the 8th of March 1846, to Miss Jane Eames, and by her has one son and one daughter.

John J. Tracy
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]
JOHN J. TRACY, Green Bay, was born at Windsor, Vermont, December 23, 1844; graduated at Dartmouth College in the class of 1864, entered the army immediately after graduation, and served till July, 1865, as a private in the Fourth Vermont regiment. Upon his discharge on the close of the war, he came to Green Bay, and taught in the high school at that place for two years. He studied law with J. C. Neville, and was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1868, when he commenced practice in Green Bay; was for a time in partnership with Mr. Neville, and is now in the firm of Tracy & Bailey. He has been twice elected district attorney, the last time resigning before the expiration of his term, having served from 1874 to 1876.

J. H. M. Wigman
[Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]
J. H. M. WIGMAN, Green Bay, was born in Amsterdam, Holland, August 15, 1835. His parents belonged to one of the noble families of Holland. In his early boyhood his parents bestowed on him an education in the institutions of that country. At the age of twelve he was, aside from his ordinary studies in his mother tongue, also able to read and write the French and German languages, and is to-day one of the finest linguists in the state. The death of his mother, in 1847, was the chief cause which led to his immigration to the United States in 1848. After his arrival in Wisconsin in the same year, and until 1854, he worked at farming and chopping wood, and afterward obtained a situation as clerk in a dry goods store, in Green Bay, where he continued for over two years. In the fall of 1856 he located at Bay settlement, and taught the district school. In August, 1857, he married Matilda Lyonnais, and kept on teaching, holding also the offices of town clerk, treasurer, assessor, and justice of the peace in the town of Green Bay, now town of Scott, and applying himself to the study of the law, at intervals, as opportunity offered. In March, 1863, he went to Europe to attend the settlement of his father's estate, and returned in July of the same year. On his return he located with his family in Appleton, where he entered the law office of T. R. Hudd, his present law partner, continued his studies, and was admitted to the bar in February, 1864, upon a thorough examination in open court.
After his admission to the bar he continued in the office of Mr. Hudd, and became associated with him under the name of Hudd & Wigman. In the fall of 1864 he received the democratic nomination and was elected to the office of district attorney for Outagamie county, to which office he was reelected at the ensuing election in 1866, and again in 1868. In the spring of 1868 the firm of Hudd & Wigman moved their law office to Green Bay, Mr. Wigman remaining for a time in Appleton, to finish their then pending business. In 1870 he built his present elegant residence on Astor Heights, and in the fall he removed his family therein. In 1876 his wife died, after having for more than eighteen years, with the devotedness of a true woman and loved wife, sharing in former years the privations and struggles of her husband, and having borne him nine children, of whom two sons and five daughters survive her. In the same year Mr. Wigman married Miss Jane Meagher, his present wife. In his religious convictions Mr. Wigman is a Roman Catholic, and in political sentiment, a democrat, although steadily avoiding any of its recipient honors. In 1878 he received from the governor the appointment of district attorney for Brown county, but for professional and other reasons declined the same. In 1879 Mr. Wigman was made a member of the Societas Romana Princeps a Petro Juris Consultorum, and received his diploma from Rome under date of February 21, 1879. He began life with nothing, but by perseverance and close attention to business, has accumulated a moderate income. In April, 1882, Mr. Wigman was elected mayor of Green Bay. The firm of Hudd & Wigman is one of the oldest in the state, and has an extensive practice. Their offices are among the finest in the state, comprising a suite of five rooms, with a library of about two thousand volumes.

Chester G. Wilcox
[Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) Transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
CHESTER G. WILCOX (Dem.), of Depere, Brown county, was born May 29, 1848, in Milford, Oakland county, Michigan; had a common school education; is a harness maker; came to Wisconsin in 1865, living first in Green Bay, and moving to Depere in 1870; is supervisor and school director; was elected assemblyman for 1880, receiving 922 votes, against 550 for D. F. J. Murphy, Republican.

Philip M. Wirth
[Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) page: 484; transcribed by Tammy Clark]
PHILIP M. WIRTH (Dem.), of Green Bay, was born at Unterfranken, Bavaria, April 25, 1823; came to Wisconsin in 1846, and located at Green Bay thence, in 1865, removing to a farm in Bellevue; was educated at the royal gymnasium in Muennerstadt, and is a carpenter and joiner, through now engaged in farming; entered the military service October 4, 1864, and served as orderly sergeant at Camp Randall, Madison, for seven months; was town clerk in 1871, ’72, ’73, ’74, ’78, ‘79’, ’80, ’81, ’82; was an enumerator of the tenth United States census; was elected member of assembly for 1883, receiving 962 votes against 882 for H. K. Cowles, republican.


HOME

Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails