Transcribed by A. Newell.
The history of the churches of Brown county is indicative of the varied elements that compose its population. French missionaries in early times made the beginning for Roman Catholicism, and although there was an interim when no service was held hereabout, yet the French settlers remained stanch adherents of that faith. Services of prayer and hymn singing were held in the homes, notably that of Madame Langevin and her mother, Madame Langlade. With the coming of the American troops and consequent influx of settlers from the east and south, various forms of Protestant worship were inaugurated, all however, Catholics and Protestants, working together for the higher life of the community.
The wave of immigration from foreign countries beginning with 1840, brought in a large proportion of Roman Catholics so that in many of the country towns, that is the prevailing form of worship. The certificate of baptism performed by Rev. Samuel Peters of the Church of England, is the only record that religious rites were performed in the early part of the nineteenth century in the Green Bay region.
In 1823, Green Bay was first visited by Father Gabriel Richard of Detroit, vicar-general of the northwest diocese, an untiring worker in the missionary field. He made arrangements for the erection of a church in Shantytown, and it is said that ground was broken at that time for a log structure, but it was not until two years later, in 1825, when the venerable Father Badin was placed in charge that definite arrangements for building in Green Bay were made. A petition was circulated which reads:
SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR FATHER BADIN
"To the subscribers: Dear citizens, we implore your assistance and leave it to your generosity to furnish the funds for Mr. Badin, your pastor, who is now about to depart for Detroit, June 27, 1825."
The quaint document goes on to say that the subscription list "will be presented and collected by a respectable citizen of the place, to the honorable officers, private soldiers, and other persons whatever at Green Bay, towards imploring their charitable assistance for both the building of the Catholic church and the clergyman thereof." The church was completed to the extent of occupancy that same year, the funds being placed in the hands of Joseph Jourdain on the 11th day of July, 1825. It stood near the corner of Adams and Mason streets. The officers who gave to the good cause were Major William Whistler, Lieutenant Henry H. Loring and Adjutant Dean, and of the private soldiers, three.
Father Badin made semi-annual visits of two weeks each, and at that time would assemble his congregation and instruct them in the formulas of their religion. Young and old met together and seated on the floor in ranks from ten to fifteen deep, would repeat after the good priest creed, catechism, or scripture lesson; he meanwhile walking up and down between the rows and keeping a sharp lookout for delinquents in respect to attention. This building was never entirely completed, but burned to the ground five years later through the carelessness of Father Fauvel, the priest who succeeded Father Badin in 1826. Fauvel roomed in a part of the church building, and after its destruction the people built him a schoolhouse, "four or five rods east of the former church site." Fathers Badin and Mazzuchelli would not recognize Fauvel as a priest and warned the people "not to employ him at burials and if he dared to preach to go out and leave him alone."
Soon after Father Mazzuchelli assumed change the delinquent was obliged to leave. In the fall of 1828, the Rev. P. S. Dejean visited the mission. Some time during the year 1830, Bishop Fenwich, of Cincinnati, came to Green Bay, remaining, however, but a few days. In the following year he repeated the visit, staying for three weeks, and at this time he, assisted by the Rev. Samuel Mazzuchelli, who had accompanied him, held a kind of mission, preached several times a day, heard confessions and conferred the holy sacrament of confirmation on about one hundred people. During this visit also the Bishop selected as the site for a church a tract of land in Menomineeville, between the Catholic Cemetery and the lower De Pere road, which still belongs to the Diocese of Green Bay. Contributions for the purpose of carrying out this plan, amounting to $300 were immediately received and the work was at once begun. This church was the first erected in this region since the mission chapel of St. Francis Xavier had been demolished in 1687. A complete history of its erection is given through the letters and memoranda belonging to Father Mazzuchelli and preserved in the Girgnon, Lawe and Porlier papers in the State Historical Society. There is given the subscription list both of money and materials, the largest donation being from the Bishop, $150, and from Father Mazzuchelli, $60. Edwin Hart was the builder, a most excellent workman, and responsible for the substantial Episcopal Mission House as well as many other of the well built dwellings of early days.
Father Mazzuchelli was very impatient to see the church completed, and when absent on other duties connected with his Mackinac parish, wrote continually to Louis Grignon or to Judge Porlier in regard to it. On August 12, 1831, he writes that "Mr. Heart" must begin work immediately or forfeit the contract and his interest in the material to be obtained was unflagging. In July of the following year the church neared completion, and there was still the whitewashing of the walls to be done, on which Father Mazzuchelli writes he can save $20.00, and that he will agree to give Mr. Hart $12 to cut the window panes with his diamond and set them; otherwise he will buy cotton enough to stretch over the seven windows.
In 1832, two Redemptorists, Fathers Hatcher and Sanderl, took charge of St. John’s congregation and remained with the exception of a few short interruptions until 1837, their last entry of baptisms apparently being made in March of that year.
Father Mazzuchelli came again in 1833, bringing with him two sisters of the order of St. Clara, Sisters Clara and Theresa Bourdaloue, who bought land near to the church where they established a school. Their services were also of the greatest value during the terrible cholera epidemic of 1834.
In that same year came Father Theodore J. Van den Broek who labored zealously in the field until 1838, his mission including not only the settlements at the Bay and Little Chute, but several among the Indians.
In the fall of 1838, probably in October, Father Florimond Bonduel, a Belgian by birth and educated in Belgium, came to Green Bay and assumed the charge of St. John's. He bought from B. F. Salomon and Paul and Joseph Ducharme most of the land in Shantytown, all of which by the way is still in possession of the church. He also seems to have taken very good care of the cemetery, which under his fostering care was greatly beautified and improved. He died after a short illness on December 13, 1861, his remains finding a last resting place in the spot which in life he had nurtured so carefully and well.
In September 1843, P. Carabin, a German of Loraine, was appointed to succeed Father Bonduel and maintained his post until August 1847.
During this pastorate the Rev. P. Cahazettis arrived at Green Bay, where after a few days he succumbed to a virulent attack of typhoid fever.
In 1847, the church at Shantytown was burnt through the carelessness of a Mass server. In its place in 1848, a Methodist church was bought, which stood on the site of the present parsonage. This was during the pastorate of the Rev. A. S. Godfert, who succeeded Father Carabin and who stayed until September, 1849. During this period the Rev. Caspaer Rehri, a missionary well known throughout the greater part of Wisconsin, paid regular quarterly visits to this mission, aiding the pastor in various ways. In October 1849, came the Jesuit Fathers, Anton Anderledy, a Swiss, and afterward general of the order (he died on January 18, 1892), and Joseph Brunner, who stayed until July 1851, when Father Brunner went to India, where he died.
There exists in the parish of St. John’s a little book containing in writing an inventory of all the furniture and utensils in the church from the year 1849, also the gifts made to the church between 1849 and 1862. There also is an inventory made by Father Hoffen, 1865-70, which includes the old silver ostensorium and Duguenory’s crucifix.
In 1872 the church purchased from the Methodists burned and was replaced two years later by one much more commodious, the Rev. A. Crud being pastor. In the winter of 1911 fire destroyed this church also and in its stead on the corner of Madison and Milwaukee streets a costly and substantial structure was erected. The Rev. L. A. Ricklin has been the pastor of St. John’s for many years.
Green Bay is the Episcopal see of the large Green Bay diocese, which was established March 3, 1868, and the handsome Cathedral church of St. Francis Xavier stands on the corner of Monroe avenue and Doty street.
When the Rev. P. F. S. Winenger, S. J., held the mission of St. John’s church, 1851, the separation of the German element from that parish was seriously considered. The first record of receipts and disbursements and other business matters pertaining to St. Mary’s congregation are dated September 20, 1851. This date therefore is accepted as the one upon which the new congregation was organized. Funds were collected and a church completed early in 1854, which was blessed and dedicated by Bishop Henni, of Milwaukee.
On March 3, 1868, Green Bay was elevated to an Episcopal see, of which Rev. Joseph Melcher, of St. Louis, was appointed first bishop. On arriving in Green Bay, Bishop Melcher selected St. Mary’s for his pro-cathedral. At his death the Rev. F. X. Krautbauer became bishop, and during his episcopacy the cathedral was finished, and consecrated by him in the presence of the most reverend Archbishop Heiss and four bishops, and a crowded congregation. September 7, 8 and 9, 1893, were made memorable by the visit to Green Bay of the papal delegate, afterward Cardinal Satolli. The reception of his eminence was a grand ovation, and is still remembered as a most notable event.
The present bishop is the Rt. Rev. Joseph J. Fox, who is the son of Paul Fox, one of the most active incorporators of St. Mary’s church. Bishop Fox was born and grew up in Green Bay and is much esteemed throughout the county.
St. Patrick’s church was built in 1865 by the Irish residents on both sides of the river. It was dedicated on August 15, 1866 by the Very Reverend Father Daems, Father McGinnity being pastor at the time. The present church was built in 1893-94, the Rev. M. J. O’Brien, pastor. Father O’Brien still has charge of the parish.
Sts. Peter and Paul was built by German and Belgian families living in the northeastern portion of the city. A large new church was erected in 1911 under Rev. Martin T. Anderegg, who was appointed to the church in 1893.
In the beginning of the sixties the Hollanders and Flemish who had left St. John’s with the German congregation were obliged to leave St. Mary’s on account of overcrowding the church, and on February 21, 1864 held a meeting at which a new congregation of forty-seven families was formed. The trustees purchased the old courthouse building, paying for the same $1,200. Father VerBoort became the pastor. The church was dedicated on August 25, 1867, in honor of St. Willebrord, the first bishop of Utrect, Holland and apostle of the Netherlands. The congregation increased so rapidly that a much larger church was necessary, and in the summer of 1889 the foundation of the new church was laid. The Rev. P. A. Van Susteren is the present pastor.
The large Polish church, Blessed Virgin of the Angels, with monastery and school in connection, was built in 1904. Rev. A. Wisniewski, O. F. M, is rector.
In 1824 a meeting was held in Menomineeville for the purpose of organizing a Protestant Episcopal church to be known as Christ Church, not, however, until September 16, 1829, was the organization of the parish completed, and a copy of the constitution sent to Robert Irwin, Jr., then in Detroit attending as delegate the legislative council, with a petition for a charter. The act incorporating the parish is as follows:
Be it enacted by the legislative council of the Territory of Michigan that Richard F. Cadle, as rector, and Daniel Whitney and Albert G. Ellis as wardens, and James D. Doty, William Dickenson, John Lawe, Alexander J. Irwin, John P. Arndt, Samuel W. Beale, Robert Irwin, Jr., and Henry S. Baird, as vestrymen, with their associates and successors be, and they are hereby incorporated and declared a body politic and corporate in deed and in law by the name and style of the "Rector Wardens and Vestrymen of Christ’s Church in the township of Green Bay."
Christ church parish and that of Manitowoc were the only church organizations in Wisconsin thus incorporated independent of diocesan jurisdiction.
Richard F. Cadle, who had been appointed in 1827 by the Protestant Episcopal missionary board as superintendent of Green Bay missions, with his sister, Sarah B. Cadle, as assistant, had opened a school in the unoccupied barracks at Camp Smith. John V. Suydam, who came to Green Bay in 1831, was engaged as assistant teacher in the same school; later as district and county surveyor and as occupying many offices of trust in church and county life, Suydam was one of the well known men of Green Bay, where he continued to reside until his death in 1888.
Ill health and many discouragements caused the resignation of Mr. Cadle, and the newly formed vestry who loved and admired him, immediately invited him to become their first pastor, a call which he accepted. It was immediately planned to erect a church on land platted for that purpose in Menomineeville, and in the meantime services were held in the mission house. Thither a detachment of troops march from Fort Howard each Sunday under the command of a lieutenant, to attend divine service, there being no resident chaplain at the garrison. McCall in his description of the treaty of 1830 says that on one Sunday, Rev. Eleazer Williams, "in flowing white robes" read service at the fort, but this was only an occasional affair, the soldiers being expected to attend regularly after the Christ church parish was erected at Green Bay. While here on the second of July in one of the rooms of the Baird home he baptized two of the Baird children, one, afterward Mrs. James S. Baker, a little over two years old, the other two weeks.
In 1834, Rev. Jackson Kemper, afterward distinguished as first missionary bishop, came to Green Bay, sent by the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society to report on the Indian school established in Menomineeville by Rev. Richard Cadle. His journal gives a lively and interesting account of the journey west; his short stay in the village and visit to Oneida. "At three we started for Oneida, say nine miles. Dr. M., in a wagon driven by Neddy and for a companion, Cobus Hill. I mounted a Green Bay pony, belonging to Adjutant Chapman, an easy racking horse. Two miles of the road had just been opened by the Oneidas the week before. After riding through the woods six miles we came to the settlement–long houses scattered on each side of the road, with perhaps four hundred acres cleared–the crops look promising; at parsonage about sunset. The building had been much improved during the day; a shed had been erected for a kitchen, where several Oneida women prepared the meal; a porch had been placed in front, etc.; the house had two rooms beside a large pantry. *** I had a good bed on the floor under a window and surrounded with a net, and slept pretty well.
"The church, a log building, is near the parsonage. It has a recess, a chancel, etc., with a vestry room behind, an unfinished gallery in front; we walked there in the evening, and heard several of the congregation practicing music for the next day, with a good and well played bass viol.
"We assembled in church at ten o’clock, the people pressed to it until all seats were occupied, the men on one side and the women on the other. I said a few words from Cobus Hill’s reading desk on Lord’s supper. What we said was interpreted sentence by sentence by John Smith. John interpreted boldly but we fear not correctly."
Nothing was done toward building the church in Menomineeville and during the years 1830-35 there was a great exodus of the American residents to Daniel Whitney’s newly platted town, Navarino. Services were held in the "Yellow Schoolhouse" on Cherry street, but there was a great desire for a church building, the ever generous Daniel Whitney offered a building site which was accepted and funds solicited for the erection of a church.
In 1838 the corner stone of the new building was laid by Bishop Kemper who had been consecrated in 1835. Bishop Kemper at this time confirmed a class of six persons and also visited Oneida where he laid the corner stone of Hobert church. The late Charles L. Wheelock who came here as a boy in 1832, was present at the ceremony at Green Bay and recalled the boggy condition of the ground about the church foundation. The ground was low and wet, so much so that many stood on planks. Cedar trees and alders grew up to Adams street. Despite these conditions building went on and in 1840 the church was finished and consecrated by Bishop Kemper. It was a small neat structure painted white with green blinds and surrounded by a white picket fence. The pews were square, with a door that closed with a tidy button, accommodating eight persons at one sitting and often more as the children were allowed in case the pew was overcrowded to sit on kneeling benches and hassocks. There was a high pulpit from which the rector in charge delivered his sermon, the small gothic windows were filled with plain window glass, and candles were the only light used for the evening service. One of the younger girls who worshiped in Christ church during the early ‘40s related not many years go how the soldiers marched regularly to the morning service under command of the officer of the day, and would take their places in the extreme rear portion of the church. The young lieutenant in command, however, kept up constant communication with the more favored portion of the congregation by means of notes passed to and fro between him and the frivolous girls who sat directly under the preacher’s eye. Many love affairs were carried to a happy conclusion through this churchly postal service, and the excitement of writing, reading and safely dispatching these epistles without detection by parents or officiating clergyman, was a joy to last through a lifetime. This historic building burned to the ground on the night of July 3, 1898. The corner stone of the present structure was laid by Bishop Grafton during the pastorate of the Rev. Chas. L. Pullen, who resigned from the parish before the church was completed. In 1900, Rev. Henry S. Foster, rector, it was ready for occupancy; in 1910 mainly through the untiring effort of the Rev. James F. Kieb who succeeded Father Foster, the church debt was liquidated and consecration services held by Rt. Rev. Reginald P. Weller, bishop coadjutor of the diocese. The congregation at the same time celebrated the eightieth anniversary of the inauguration of the parish.
A Presbyterian mission under the direction of Rev. Cutting Marsh was organized in 1832. This mission standing as it did half way on a day’s journey up the river was invariably visited by the casual traveller and its hospitality claimed. Marsh was a stern rather uncompromising Calvinist, with small patience in his intercourse with the ungodly, yet made welcome any chance visitor. Denominational lines were more closely adhered to in the ‘30s than at a later day, and Cutting Marsh held aloof alike from Protestant clergymen of alien faith and Roman Catholic priests. The First Presbyterian church at Green Bay was organized with twelve members in January, 1836. Rev. Cutting Marsh gave assistance in the organization which was effected on a Saturday evening in a small frame house on Adams street near Doty. The public recognition took place in the military hospital at Fort Howard on the afternoon of the following day. Mr. Marsh preached occasionally during the summer; from the first of November Rev. Moses Ordway acted as pastor for six months, and a building on Walnut street near Washington was fitted up for service. Of this building, C. L. Wheelock says that, those first Presbyterian services were held in a carpenter’s shop owned by W. W. Matthews on the north side of Walnut street between Washington and Adams.
Rev. Stephen Peet became pastor in October, 1837, and remained for two years. In 1838, the First Presbyterian church was dedicated, the second Protestant church edifice completed in the territory. The Rev. Jeremiah Porter followed Mr. Peet and for eighteen years he and his lovely wife led the people in the way of righteousness.
Green Bay during the ‘50s was on the line of the "underground railroad" which ran as directly as might be from the southern states to Canada and freedom. The Negroes who escaped northward were easily carried by schooner to the English refuge, and the story of a somewhat mysterious and romantic affair which occurred about the year 1855, we are happily able to give in Mrs. Porter’s words. She writes, "I am not surprised that you could not learn much in regard to the concealment of the fugitives, for it was secret service before the Lord, which, had we taken counsel of wise men in church and state, could not have been performed. The facts were on this wise: A letter came from Mr. L. Goodell of Stockbridge, that a father and his children had for some time enjoyed refuge in that Indian nation; but pursuers had discovered their resting place, and would find means to reenslave them. Friends had planned to send them by night to Green Bay. Would we receive them, and help them to the steamboat due on the coming Tuesday? Surely we could do that small service without disturbing any conscience, however weak, especially as the captain of the boat was said to be a abolitionist. They would arrive by night, and could be put on board without observation.
"They did arrive at the hour appointed; but at midnight we were awakened by a knock at the window and there stood the poor, trembling father, and three cold, hungry children. Our house was already full, and the boat was not in sight, and they feared that the pursuers were on their track. In a few hours many inquisitive eyes and ears would be open. Mr. Porter said, ‘Where can we hide them? In the icehouse? In the side closets of the parsonage?’ I asked the God of all wisdom and love and truth to direct, and during the act of prayer a text of the scripture came to mind which suggested the church. ‘Yes, that is the place,’ Mr. Porter replied, ‘The belfry.’ They were warmed and fed, and comforted with the assurance that they were among friends, and then Mr. Porter took them to the sanctuary–to the highest place in it. The boat we looked for at early dawn did not come; four long days and anxious night passed, and the dear man fed and cheered them, and did not faint nor grow weary. On Saturday the question came up, what effect the Sabbath services might have upon their retirement; indeed, many questions were arising, which were solved by the delightful announcement that the boat was in sight, and already in the harbor. Mr. Porter, Mr. Kimball and others, made arrangements for their departure; and when I opened the church door, the glad father and happy children rushed out, and took their places in a little sailboat which was waiting for them at the shore, and were carried to the steamer Michigan, where Captain Stewart took them into his care, and conveyed them to her Majesty’s land of freedom. On landing, the first act of the grateful father was to prostrate himself, kissing the free soil, and giving thanks to the Lord who had brought them out of the house of bondage."
Mrs. Porter says in parenthesis: "There were so many ludicrous incidents connected with the whole affair, that, as I write, I must needs pause and laugh alone.
"A few other items may be of interest. The food was furnished from the families of Mr. Porter, Mr. Roswell Morris, and Mr. Alonzo Kimball. The passage was engaged by mr. Kimball, and several persons furnished the money. The sailboat was brought by Mr. F. A. Lathrop at about five o’clock on a bright afternoon. Many people were on the dock when the family reached the steamer. Those who saw the man’s back at the church, remember distinctly that it was ridged with scars. Two young ladies who chanced to go in at this time, took a notion to climb into the belfry, but were frightened at the sounds, and ran to Mrs. Pelton near by and were told that the fugitives were there, but it must be kept secret. We may smile at these matters now, but when the barbarous fugitive slave law was in force, and the more cruel law of political opinion, it required no little courage to harbor a slave. Possibly some of us would not have dared to do it; but we are all proud today, that our belfry once proved a true sanctuary to the oppressed.
Mrs. Porter adds that one other fugitive was brought to their house on a cold winter’s night, but as they could not conceal her, she was committed to Mr. Tank’s care.
The foregoing paragraph in which items of interest in regard to the fugitives are given is from a pamphlet written by the Rev. William Crawford ("God’s providence for forty years") who was pastor of the church from 1870 to 1880. He was a broad-minded man and an influence for culture and right living in the community. When in 1876, the church celebrated its fortieth anniversary Mr. Crawford preached three sermons reviewing the forty years’ work which was of great value. In the epoch-making fire of 1881 in Green Bay the old Presbyterian church went up in flame; the bell presented by John Jacob Astor to the congregation fell from the belfry and melted in the ruins. The church was modeled on the lines of a plain New England meeting house with a high gallery opposite the pulpit where the choir sat.
In 1882 the church which stands only today on the site of the old parsonage was built. It continued to be called the Presbyterian church until later when during the incumbency of the Rev. J. M. A. Spence the name was changed to the Union Congregational church.
The slips of the Presbyterian church will be rented to the highest bidder for each slip for one year on Wednesday, May 7, 1856.
Sale to commence at three o’clock P. M.
F. A. Lathrop, Clerk Board Trustees.
The Presbyterian church in Brown county is represented by seven congregations: First Presbyterian church and Grace Presbyterian church, Green Bay, the First Presbyterian church of De Pere and church organizations at Preble, Humboldt, Wequiock, and Robinsonville. The total membership is about 800. Grace church, Green Bay, and the Robinsonville church are both French Belgian congregations. Rev. H. W. Kunz, pastor of the First Presbyterian church, Green Bay, had done much to advance the general welfare of the community as well as the work of his own denomination.
The Presbyterian church in De Pere was organized in 1849 by Rev. John Stewart of Warrentown county, New Jersey. A church was erected in 1854, and was esteemed a most godly congregation by the less peaceful members of that faith in Green Bay.
A Congregational church was organized on April 18, 1866. Previously its congregation had worshipped in the Presbyterian edifice. A chapel was built in 1868, and rebuilt in 1875. They now have a comfortable church in West De Pere.
The first Methodist service was conducted at the garrison by Colonel Samuel Ryan. In 1832 the New York conference sent as missionary to the district about Green Bay the Rev. J. C. Clark, who on his arrival preached at the fort to both soldiers and citizens and also formed the first class consisting of Samuel Ryan, class leader, and three other members, one of whom was Mrs. George M. Brooke, wife of the commandant. In 1834 Rev. George White was appointed to the mission and the following description is given of the church during his pastorate: "In 1836 the writer passed through Green Bay enroute for St. Louis, and remained two weeks in the small hamlet. Sunday services were no longer held in the Fort Howard block house as in former years but were continued in a little yellow wooden schoolhouse just in rear of what is now the Citizen Bank building, where a fraternal arrangement existed between two rival sects.
"The Protestant Episcopal and Methodist Episcopal ministers took turn about in the services, the one officiating in morning, the other in evening, and vice versa; the two clergymen, Rev. Richard Cadle, a close student, very shy in general society and a thorough churchman, and Rev. George White, the Methodist, also retiring and reserved in manner, yet both so permeated with a love for humanity and a single eye to their high calling in Christ that no antagonism seemed to mar the sacred services. The coalition was temporary only waiting the completion of their denominational churches.
"The stronghold of Methodism still lay on the Fort Howard side of the river, the garrison held a number of faithful communicants while outside its pickets the delegation was solid for Wesley and his adherents. A few rods from the river shore on a slightly rising plateau were the government quarters of families outside the fort, who yet were attached to the United States army. First in order came the two fine buildings of hospital and surgeon’s quarters, from thence ran along the river shore in straight line a row of modest picturesque cottages, vine covered and flower enameled, wherein resided Col. Samuel Ryan and his excellent wife, both of them head, front, and very foundation of Methodism, the Stoddards, the Hubbards and Col. David Jones, all members save the last named. And thus when the little company of worshippers were transplanted in 1835 to the small wooden schoolhouse on east side of river, it took in quite a notable set in military rank and social prestige.
"The new church was completed in 1836, and when the writer returned from a two weeks’ sojourn in St. Louis, in 1837, it had been for some months in use and fully equipped. It was fifty by thirty-five feet in dimensions with no gallery for singers, only raised seats at entrance opposite the pulpit. There were fine voices in the choir here and from Sunday to Sunday for several years, a more than average of intelligent and appreciative audience gathered.
"Of the fault in executive management and church affairs that resulted in bankruptcy of finance and final sale to the Roman Catholic congregation of the beloved church building on the square I have slight knowledge. It proved a most unfortunate episode and brought much depression and discouragement for several years."
The first church built on the property facing Jackson square was completed in 1858. This became unsafe and was torn down when the present modern and convenient edifice was erected.
In 1867 the First Methodist church was divided and residents of Fort Howard formed a separate congregation taking the name of St. Paul’s Methodist church. A new church has been built within recent years, a neat, comfortable and suitable structure. The congregation is in a flourishing condition.
In addition to those already named, Green Baby has the German Methodist Episcopal church of which Rev. A. H. Copplin is pastor, and a south side Methodist church, Rev. Eugene Nelson in charge.
The first Methodist organization in DePere was begun in 1850, and a church built six years thereafter.
Wrightstown also has a Methodist church organized a number of years ago.
During the ‘50s a number of church organizations were effected. The Moravian church on Jackson square between Madison street and Monroe avenue, was organized in 1851, with a full membership of 200, and was dedicated in 1852. Rev. J. F. Fett was the first pastor and remained with the congregation twelve years. This clergyman taught a parochial school to which a number of the English-speaking residents sent their children in order that they might have the advantage of imbibing the German language in the classes of this excellent instructor. The pretty quaint building has been enlarged but the good proportions are retained.
The West Side Moravian church, Rev. Albert Haupert in charge, is a progressive congregation, yet thoroughly orthodox. It was organized in 1875.
"June 12, 1851.
"Notice:–The Baptists of this place and vicinity will (by Permission) hold their meetings in the schoolroom in Mr. Goodell’s building opposite the town hall. The Rev. Thomas M. Symonds, Baptist clergyman, recently of Massachusetts, will preach regularly every Sabbath. Services commencing in the morning at 10:30 o’clock, and in the afternoon at 2 o’clock. Prayer-meeting at 7 in the evening. Sabbath school for the present will meet immediately after morning service."
This was the beginning of the First Baptist church which was removed to Fort Howard in 1854. The first church building was of wood, twenty by forty-four feet, fronting Chestnut street, between Main and Hubbard, and was built in 1873. In 1874 it was moved to form part of a new edifice of veneered brick of which the cost was $8,000. In recent times it has been much enlarged and a fine assembly room and gymnasium added. The present pastor is Rev. S. G. Phelps.
Wrightstown has a Baptist congregation as well as Methodist, German Lutheran and two Roman Catholic churches.
For several years there was a small congregation of Baptists on the east side but the church has within the past year been sold to the Grace Lutheran congregation.
The following excellent article on the Lutheran churches in Brown county has been written for this work by W. A. Speerschneider:
Lutheranism in Brown County
The history of the Evangelical Lutheran church of Brown county, Wisconsin, is quite extensive, since there are nineteen churches of the Lutheran faith and five parochial schools in Brown county. This does not include the Lutheran church organization that have no church, of which there are three. The churches are not very pretentious, with the exception of the Lutheran church at Wrightstown, which was just completed last year at a cost of $20,000.
The language used for the most part in the services is the German language, there being only two Norwegian Lutheran churches, and one Danish Lutheran church. The use of the English language in the services and instructions instead of the language of the fathers, has shown itself to be of great value to the younger generation where used, they being instructed in the doctrine of the church in the language they understand, and consequently remain within the church. Although only some of the churches have begun to use the English language, it has brought about wonderful results where used.
The Lutheran church had its beginning in Brown county in Green Bay, when fifty years ago Rev. Reim came directly to Green Bay from Germany; because a Milwaukee Lutheran minister heard of the need of a Lutheran minister at Green Bay. The first organization was effected shortly after Rev. Reim’s arrival, at the old courthouse; services were held there for a time, but later they rented a Methodist church in the near neighborhood and shortly afterwards built the First German Lutheran church, which is standing today. It barely escaped being burned in the great fire in 1881.
Rev. Goldamer followed Rev. Reim and Rev. Upham succeeded Rev. Goldamer. During Rev. Upham’s pastorate a Lutheran orphans’ home was established at Green Bay, which was moved to a different city later. These first ministers at Green Bay, Rev. L. R. P. Pieper, who started a church at De Pere in 1869, Rev. Burman, Rev. H. Rieke, Rev. P. H. Hollerman, and Rev. F. Proehl, who were at Pittsfield and neighboring places, did a great deal of missionary work in the early years, out in the surrounding country of Green Bay, Depere, and Pittsfield, holding services at the homes of the farmers, or in the district schoolhouse–usually a little log cabin–where there was one. Where a minister’s whole time was badly needed a minister would be called and in that way the many different Lutheran churches were established. The above-named ministers of Green Bay made regular trips every Sunday afternoon to Bay Settlement, where services were held at the Speerschneider home. No matter what kind of weather and with nothing of a road, the minister would go. I know the above-mentioned Rev. F. Proehl to have had seven preaching places at one time. This will give an idea of the extent of the work of some of the missionaries. I will mention some of the fruits of their labors. There are churches at the following places: West DePere, Wrightstown, Greenleaf, Morristown, Wayside, Denmark, Eaton, Ashwaubenon, Luxemburg, Pine Grove, Shirley, Pittsfield, two at Kaukauna; three congregations hold services at one church at Fontenoy, a German, a Danish and a German and English congregation. There are four Lutheran churches at Green Bay, two German congregations, The First German Lutheran church, Rev. J. Siegrist; St. Paul’s Lutheran church, Rev. Zich; a Norwegian Lutheran church, Rev. Bongsto, and a German and English Lutheran congregation or Grace Lutheran church. Grace Lutheran church is the youngest congregation in Green Bay, but in spite of its youth it has already attained the strength of a man. Organized on the 18th day of December, 1908, with eighteen communicant members, it has grown so that it numbers about three hundred today. For years a number of Lutherans in Green Bay felt the need of English services and when upon the request of a local Lutheran pastor the Mission Board of the Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio sent an English-speaking minister to Green Bay they were ready to encourage and support him in his work. Rev. Kuhlman, of Oshkosh, was the man who ministered to the spiritual needs of these people both in public services and in private pastoral work. When the work in Green Bay, which he carried on in conjunction with his work in Oshkosh, had advanced far enough to require one man’s entire time and attention, Rev. C. Birkhold was called to the field. After laboring for several months he was succeeded by Rev. Pagels. During the latter’s pastorate the organization of the mission into a congregation was effected. Rev. Paul Hein, the executive officer of the Home Mission Board was present at the meeting and drew up the articles of organization and helped the congregation to lease the old Central Baptist church for its services for a year. After several months of faithful work Rev. Pagels left for Columbus, Ohio, to continue his theological studies. Rev. Pagels is carrying on similar work at De Pere and Fontenoy at the present time. Rev. O. Gerbich succeeded Rev. Pagels at Green Bay for a number of months. On May 2, 1909, the present pastor, Rev. L. Gast was installed in his office at the first regular pastor of the congregation. On March 21, 1910, the congregation bought the Central Baptist church property located at the corner of Madison and Moravian streets. The Grace Lutheran church lays claim to being the first Lutheran church in Brown county to introduce regular English services. It also claims to have the only Sunday school in Brown county where the English language is used exclusively. The object of the church is to preach and teach the faith of the fathers in the language of the children, and it is mainly to this that it attributes its rapid growth. The church is in a flourishing condition financially and bids fair to become one of the largest Protestant congregations in Green Bay, and one of the largest Lutheran churches in Brown county. All societies, of which there are a Ladies’ Aid Society, the Luther League and the church choir, are active and prosperous. The congregation has just completed a fine, new and modern parsonage and hope soon to follow this up with a new church, for "God’s word and Luther’s doctrine pure ever shall endure." (References for Chapter XXII: Wis. Hist. Colls.; Rev. L. A. Ricklin, "Records of St. John’s Parish;" Rev. William Crawford, "God’s Providence for Forty Years;" Mrs. Elizabeth S. Martin, "Methodism in Wisconsin;" Rev. J. F. Kieb, "Souvenir Reference Manual of Christ Church.")
Catholic Churches in Brown County
[Source: History of Brown County, Wisconsin Past and Present, by Deborah B. Martin, Volume 1 (1913) transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
By N. H. Mollen
ST. MARY’S CATHOLIC CHURCH, DEPERE, WIS.
The second oldest church in the city is St. Mary’s. In 1869 the Hollanders of Depere voted to form a parish of their own and, accordingly, a suitable building was put up. This was greatly enlarged later on. A school and a priest’s house were also built, but it remained for the present rector, Rev. Wm. Van Roosmalen, to improve the property by causing a new parsonage to be built, also an addition to the school.
The congregation, consisting of about three hundred and seventy-five families, mostly Hollanders, is one of the most flourishing in the city and, perhaps, in Brown county. When sufficient capital is at hand a modern church building will be erected. Most of the children attend the parish school which is well graded and efficiently taught. Nuns from Milwaukee are in charge, and have nearly three hundred pupils enrolled.
ST. JOSEPH’S CATHOLIC CHURCH, WEST DEPERE, WIS.
The "Shrine," as it is often called, is one of the most beautifully decorated places of divine worship in Brown county. Much as this adds to its interest, another attraction has brought it still more into prominence. This is St. Joseph’s Archconfraternity of North America, canonically established by Rev. J. F. Durin toward the end of the last century. During the public, solemn novena, held annually in March, hundreds of clients of St. Joseph come here for nine consecutive days to pray to him. They believe with the poet that prayer is "man’s rational prerogative." But the climax is reached on his feast, March 19th, when even standing room is sometimes at a premium, on account of the impressive religious exercises carried out on that day.
The Very Rev. B. H. Pennings, O. Praem., the pastor of the congregation, has also under his direction a convent of Premonstratensian (Norbertine) Fathers who act as assistants to pastors in the surrounding country whenever needed.
The members of the parish are chiefly French; but there are some of Irish, Holland, and German nationality. The parish includes about one hundred and forty families. Sermons alternate between French and English. Plans are in preparation at this writing for a new school building which will cost $10,000.00, and accommodate two hundred children.
ST. BONIFACE’S CATHOLIC CHURCH, WEST DEPERE, WIS.
In 1883 the Hollanders of the city found it necessary to form a new parish, owing to the rapid increase in their numbers. This St. Boniface’s congregation was organized and a church built by these thrifty people, on the west side of the Fox river. Rev. A. M. Smitz, who still acts as their pastor, was appointed to take charge.
The younger members of the parish are practically all Americans, and so speak English. On this account sermons are given in English as well as in Dutch. About two hundred and forty families are registered. Rev. A. M. Smitz is being assisted by Rev. H. De Kort, O. Praem, of St. Norbert’s College.
The pride of this parish is its school. Many bright boys and girls have graduated from it, and are now successful men and women in the business world. To them "Knowledge is now no more a fountain seal’d." There are over two hundred and fifty pupils in attendance. The teaching is done by five nuns of the Order of St. Francis.
ST. FRANCIS XAVIER’S CATHOLIC CHURCH, DEPERE, WIS.
That handsome structure, known as St. Francis Xavier’s Church, occupies a pleasant and convenient location on the east side of the Fox river. It is but two blocks away from the beautiful and historic river; while the interurban car passes its doors. The high steeple can be seen from all parts of the city. Fifty-seven and more years ago the Catholics, not only of this parish, but also those living in all Depere and vicinity, were obliged to attend divine services at the old French church in Green Bay. Though "The path of duty leads to happiness," yet this path is not always a pleasant one, and in their case it required many sacrifices. It was then that a rude building was constructed where the present church stands. This was the first church in Depere. Later on three other parishes were formed with centers in the city.
St. Francis Xavier’s Congregation is distinctly Irish in nationality, although the French and the Germans are also represented. Among them are included some of the most influential business men in the city. Sermons are preached in English. There are at present about two hundred families listed. With their help the Rev. G. Dillon intends to put up a modern parochial school building. When this is completed the parish will be one of the best in the city. The school is conducted by nuns from Milwaukee. It has an attendance of some eighty-five pupils. The ordinary branches are taught, with the addition of Christian Doctrine.
ST. NORBERT’S COLLEGE, WEST DEPERE, WIS.
At the request of the Most Reverend S. G. Messmer, the Premonstratensian (Norbertine) Fathers came to the Green Bay diocese in the year 1893. On the twenty-eighth of September, 1898, they were publicly installed in their new convent at Depere. The chief object of the Fathers in coming to the United States was to take charge of parishes. They decided, however, to teach a few young men aspiring to the priesthood. These applied for an education in October, 1898. They coveted learning and were willing to climb. Of yearnings like theirs the poet speaks:
"Do you covet learning’s prize? Climb her heights and take it. In ourselves our fortune lies; Life is what we make it."
This was the origin of St. Norbert’s College. The parochial residence was enlarged in 1899 in order to meet the demands of a rapidly increasing number of students. Some five or six boarders were admitted the next year. Soon the available accommodations were overtaxed.
The ninth of May, 1901, is to be set down as a red-letter day in the history of St. Norbert’s. A meeting was then called at the newly-established priory. Among those present were Bishop (now Archbishop) Messmer, Vicar General (now Bishop) Fox, some of the leading diocesan clergy, Prior B. H. Pennings, and his Council. The consensus of the prelates and the clergy assembled was: to erect an up-to-date college; to admit both commercial and classical students; and to strengthen the Faculty by securing expert teachers for the business branches. At this meeting the Fathers of St. Norbert received hearty encouragement.
In the year 1902 a brick building, 116 feet by 64 feet, four stories high, was put up at a cost of forty thousand dollars. It was built in a beautiful position on the picturesque banks of the Fox river, at the limits of Depere, away from the smoke and hum of life in a big city. The building is commodious, bright, well ventilated, comfortable, and modern in every respect. From an architectural point of view it is one of the finest structures to be found in the vicinity. It is lighted by electricity, heated by steam, and, in a word, nothing has been left undone that might contribute to the convenience of students. In February, 1913, the College narrowly escaped being burned to ashes. The fire was discovered in time and was promptly extinguished by the Depere fire departments.
St. Norbert’s College is a Catholic boarding school for young men. Its purpose is to complete the instruction received in grammar and high schools and to lay a broad foundation for higher education. Within its walls young men are prepared for theological seminaries, for schools of law, medicine, etc., and for commercial careers. To meet these requirements the College presents two courses-classical and commercial. There is also a preparatory department for students whose mental attainments are not up to the College requirements. St. Norbert’s is affiliated with the National Business Colleges Federation. It is also a member of the Wisconsin Association of Commercial Schools. These facts guarantee the high standard of commercial instruction given here, since only institutions of the first rank are admitted to the federations mentioned. A communication from Mr. C. P. Cary, State Superintendent, dated June 25, 1907, stated "that St. Norbert’s College has the right to confer suitable degrees and grant diplomas."
Being Catholic in principle as well as in tone, the social atmosphere of this institution is admirably well adapted for the preservation and fostering of the purest morals. Parents want a safe as well as a progressive school. St. Norbert’s was founded for this very end, and is succeeding beyond expectation in its high mission.
There are, on an average, one hundred students, the majority of whom come from Wisconsin and Michigan. Their intellectual needs are provided for by a corps of eighteen teachers.
The Very Rev. B. H. Pennings, O. Praem, founder of the college, still acts as its President.
The Director, the Rev. J. A. Van Heertum, O. Praem has held office since the fall of 1903.
LIST OF CHURCHES OUTSIDE OF GREEN BAY AND DEPERE
Prepared by Rev. Joseph A. Marx.
The Roman Catholic Churches throughout Brown county outside of Green Bay and De Pere are:
Askeaton, Bay Settlement, Duck Creek, Eaton, Flintville (Chase), Glenmore, Denmark (Stark), Holland, Humboldt, Morrison, East Wrightstown, New Franken, Pine Grove, Preble, Pulaski, Krakow, Wrightstown.
Chapels are: St. Vincent’s Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital, Good Shepherd Convent, St. Joseph’s Academy, Cathedral school sisters, St. Joseph’s Orphan Asylum, Bishop’s house, Bay settlement Sister’s Convent, St. Patrick’s School (Sisters), St. Norbert’s Priory, De Pere; Pulaski.
New Holland Catholic Church
Corner Stone to Be Laid-Facts Concerning Its History, Its Priests, The Edifice, Etc. (1864-1891)
[Source: Green Bay Gazette from the Wisconsin Historical Society Website; transcribed by Sandra Wright]
Some day through the painstaking research of a resident of Green Gay, the Gazette anticipates giving its readers a history of the edifice used at present by members of the congregation of St. Willibrord’s church located on the southeast corner of Adams and Doty streets, in Green Bay. The building is linked in a very interesting manner with the history of this city for certainly over 50 years and with that some of the city’s foremost men. It has been used as a town hall, school house, etc., until about 1844 or 1845 when it was removed from the "Commons," somewhere in the vicinity of St. John’s square to its present site and was used as a court house until 1864 when the building now is use on the corner of Jefferson and Cherry streets, was erected for that purpose. This old wooden structure, which has been occupied as a place of worship by the Holland Catholics for twenty-seven years, will continue in use until it becomes necessary to tear it down to complete the interior of the new church whose walls are being built outside of it.
HISTORY OF THE HOLLAND CHURCH
On the 21st of February 1864, a meeting was called in St. John’s French Catholic church, of Green Bay, to organize a congregation composed of the Holland and Flemish speaking people of Green Bay and vicinity, Mr. William van den Mosseler was elected president and Messrs. H.J. Busch, P. Quatsoe, M. Heyermanns, and B.M. Berendsen, were made trustees. The president and trustees were elected for a term of two years. At this date, 1864, Green Bay belonged to the diocese of Milwaukee with Rt. Rev. archbishop Henni in charge. Upon a request from him to Rev. William Verboort, who was appointed first pastor of the Holland and Flemish congregation. They worshiped in the French Catholic church for a year. On March 4, 1864, Fr. Verboort, whom it appears from the baptismal register had been here only a year, at that date was instrumental in the organization of the altar society, composed of the married ladies of the congregation. The following were its first officers: President, Mrs. Barbara Berendsen; Secretary, Mrs. Mary van Rooy; Treasurer, Mrs. Anna Mary van Deuren.
Fr. Verboort’s successor was Rev. W. Hoffen, whose first record of a baptism performed by himself was on December 10, 1865. Shortly after Fr. Hoffen was appointed pastor of the congregation the court house building was purchased for the use of the congregation (the lot 60x165 ft., costing $1,200), and was opened for divine service, the families numbering forty-seven. To-day there are two hundred and sixty-six.
On Pentecost Sunday, in the afternoon, in the year 1867, a bell of 290 pounds weight, was blessed in honor of St. Willibrord, having for sponsors, Mrs. B. Berendsen and Mrs. Barbara van Hoegnerden, the latter, wife of Francis Watermolen. On the XI Sunday after Pentecost, August 25, 1867, the church was solemnly blessed and dedicated to St. Willibrord, the first bishop of Utrecht, Holland, and the Apostle of the Netherlands. The Rev. Aug. Daems, Canon of the Cross, officiated at the dedication, High Mass being celebrated by Fr. W. Verboort, of DePere, who also preached an English sermon. Fr. Smeddeneck formerly pastor of the German congregation and Fr. Pfaller then pastor of the German congregation, served respectively as deacon and sub-deacon, Frs. Verboort and Hoffen being deacon and sub-deacon to Fr. Daems at the dedicatory service, Fr. F. Macdonnel of St. Patrick’s church, Fort Howard, honoring the occasion by his presence in the sanctuary.
In the afternoon of the same date, at 3:00 O’clock solemn vespers took place, followed by the canonical erection of the way of the cross by Fr. Noffen. Under the zealous direction of Fr. Hoffen the congregation increased rapidly in numbers, so that the old court house, still so-called, had to be enlarged. This occurred in September, 1869, and an addition 30x30 feet was erected, which made the building 95x30 feet.
The congregation continued to grow, principally as the result of emigrations from Holland and Belgium and it was deemed necessary to replace the old frame church, (which for the last few years has become almost unfit for the divine service, which is of so impressive a character in the Catholic church) by a more suitable structure. As a result of this condition of affairs a meeting was called in the winter of 1888 to consider the subject and this resulted in the laying of the foundation of the new edifice in the summer of 1889, on which the work was resumed in the first Monday of May of the present year.
The pastor of the congregation is Rev. W. van Roosmaulen, who succeeded Rev. J. Bongers, his predecessor having been Rev. Fr. De Louw. The present Vicar General, Rev. Norbert Kersten, filled the position prior to Rev. Fr. Bongers, and before him came Rev. Frs. De Louw, Hoffen, and Verboort.
The present officers of the church are: Secretary, J. Busch; Treasurer, Herm. Smits, trustee. The building committee consists of the following members: Chairman, H.T.E. Berendsen; Secretary, P. Van Deuren; Treasurer, J. Van derZanden; Messrs. Fred Berens, P.J. Van denHeuvel and Aug. Daems, all of Green Bay; A. Rondon, A. Willem and Capt. John Denessen, of Fort Howard; Martin Van den Langenberg, Martin van Beek, Th. Daneseen, Charles Verdighem, Lost
THE NEW EDIFICE
The new church, now in course of erection, will, when completed, be a very handsome and substantially constructed building of red brick and stone, and will cost, it is estimated, from $25,000 to $30,000. The style of architecture is gothic, and the dimensions are as follows: width of front including tower, and buttress, 62.4 feet; width of church proper, 53.2; depth, including tower projection, 138.6; from church floor to top of gutter, 29 feet; to ridge, 58.2 feet; from floor to spire cross, 157.4. The wood work will be of Georgia pine, the windows of stained glass. A beautiful rose window will be placed above the main entrance, about 18 feet in diameter.
LAYING OF THE CORNER STONE
To-morrow afternoon at 3:00 o’clock will occur the laying of the corner stone, in which will be placed a tin box 8x8 inches, 5 inches deep. The stone is of Ohio sandstone with the letters D.O.M. cut on the face and standing for Deo Optiom Maximo—To the highest and greatest God! Its contents will be the document containing statistics concerning the chief executive officers of the Nation, the State and of Green Bay, the pastor and officers of the church, archdiocese, and diocese, etc; the daily and weekly Green Bay State Gazette, The Advocate and Der Landsmann. The stone will be laid in the northwest corner of the wall and the service will be conducted by Vicar General Kersten, assisted by Rev. Frs. Smit and Verstegen, of DePere. The priests who will be present to witness the ceremony are: Superior General Aigueperse, S.P.M., whose home is in Paris, France; Revs. C. Lau and Steinbrecher, Cathedral; J. Larmer, Fort Howard; S.M. Wiest, S.P. M., Aucona, S.P.M., and McAdams, of John’s church, Green Bay; Rice, DePere. A renowned preacher, it is stated, will deliver an English sermon on this occasion.
The various Catholic benevolent societies will meet at Klaus hall and will be welcomed by the St. Joseph’s society of St. Willibrord’s church.
Mayor J.H. Elmore, city officers and members of the common council will be in attendance.
Following the placing of the stone will occur the blessing of the cross in the sanctuary, where the new altar will be placed. This service will conclude with a procession around the church during which the following psalms will be chanted: 83, How Lovely are Thy tabernacles; 126, Unless the Lord shall build the house; 86, They Foundations are placed on the Holy Mountains.
Holy Trinity Catholic Church (50 Years Old)
[Source: Green Bay Press Gazette]
CATHOLIC CHURCH AT PINE GROVE IS FIFTY YEARS OLD
Golden Jubilee Is Celebrated by Congregation On Tuesday
DENMARK, Wis.—The congregation of Holy Trinity Catholic church, Pine Grove, celebrated its golden jubilee, Tuesday. A Solemn High Mass was celebrated at 10 a.m., after which Bishop Paul P. Rhode administered confirmation to a class of 60 bays and girls.
The Rev. J.M. Pociecha, former pastor of Holy Trinity church, was celebrant of the jubilee mass, assisted by the Rev. Vlad Prue, deacon, the Rev. P. Novitski, sub-deacon, and the Revs. Trojanowski and Grabryzck, assistants to the bishop.
Holy Trinity Catholic church was organized here in 1880, on petition of Catholics from Pine Grove, who with their pastor, walked to Green Bay to ask permission of Bishop F.J. Katzer to construct a church. This was granted and construction was started immediately. The congregation expanded from a handful of parishioners to one of the largest village parishes in the diocese.
Once A Mission
From 1880 to 1883, the church was served as a mission by the pastor of the Cooperstown Catholic church. Its first resident pastor was the Rev. Rozlochowicz who came in 1883. His successors were as follows: The Rev. Leopold Garus, 1887; Rev. Zarenczny, 1888; Rev Peter Chowaniec, 1889; Rev. Graza, 1893; Rev. Margott, 1894; Rev. Slaroseik, 1895; Rev. Lopatto, 1896; Rev. Theofil Malkowski, 1897; Rev. N. Kolasinski, 1898; Rev. M. Jadyszus, 1900; Rev. L. Stafaniak, 1903; Rev. J. M. Paciecha, 1905; Rev. Dura, 1908; Rev. Stanley Stanisz, 1912; Rev. Vlad Pruc, 1915; Rev. Leo Trojanowski, 1916; Rev. L. Dembski, 1916, Rev. A. Krawza, 1919; Rev. P. Novitcka, 1921; Rev. Leo Blum, 1922; Rev. Ferdinand Pawlowski, O.F.M., 1925; Rev. Stanley B. Ziolkowski, O.F.M., June 1, 1926, the present pastor.
Visiting priests at the ceremonies Tuesday were the Revs. Koeferl, Green Bay; Ahearn, Denmark; Landowski, Eaton; Head, Green Bay; Kalisek, Loerke, Shawano; L. Ziolkowski and Suidzinski, Chicago.
List of Confirmants
The confirmants were:
Angeline Zamorski, Mildred Jagozinski, Clara Rosmarynowski, Ethel Dahlke, Helen Karcz, Bernice Dahlke, Vanda Nitka, Barbara Piote, Gertrude Nitka, Alvina Jagodzinski, Francis Przybylski, Verna Karzmarzinski, Emilia Czarnicki, Monica Garzelanczyk, Isabella Karasinski, Rose Niemczewski, Rozalia Rogalski, Apolonia Suidzinski, Alice Nitka, Gertrude Niemczewski, Anna Rosick, Angeline Mikolajczak, Edward Rosick, Benjamin Przyzylski, Lawrence Kaczmarynski, Felix Niemczewski, Ralph Watzka, John Niemczewski, Clarence Czarnecki, Mitchell Nowak, Leslie Caelwaerts, Elvin Przyzylski, Victor Sloma, Anton Piote, Chester Suiczinski, Joseph Lax, Stephen Kozlowski, Felix Sipiorski, Alvin Piote, Bernard Malewicki, Harold Jacklin, Sylvester Blockowak, Bernard Siporski, Harold Rogalski, Benedict Przybylski, Benedict Rosmarynowski, Stanley Brotski, Harold Suidzinski, Georgo Rosick, Robert Dahlke, Leonard Niemczewski, Leonard Parilzek and Harry Stefanowski.
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails