Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
Burnett County, Wisconsin
Biographies


Hon. Peter A. Andersen
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Hon. Peter A. Andersen, one of the large land owners and old and esteemed residents of Burnett county, Wis., is now residing in the village of Grantsburg, where he is engaged in looking after his investments. He was born in northern Norway, Prestigeld Hases, June 14, 1823, son of Anders Pettersen and Magrete Andersen, natives of the same country.
Anders Pettersen was a carpenter by trade and also followed farming in his native country. He and his wife came to America in 1866, and spent the remainder of their lives with their children, he dying aged eighty-eight years, and she in her ninety-sixth year. They were members of the M.E. Church. Mr. and Mrs. Anders Pettersen had these children: Eliza, widow of Jens Christopher, of Burnett county; Peter A., our subject; Hans, a retired farmer of Grantsburg; George, a farmer of that place; Martin, deceased, who was a farmer; Hannah, who married Martin Johnson, of Burnett county; Nellie, deceased, wife of Nils Juel; and Mary, deceased, who was the wife of Isak R. Isakson, also deceased.
Peter A. Andersen had but little opportunity for an education, attending only three months at a confirmation school. As a boy he worked hard, learning the carpenter trade with his father, and later shoemaking, and still later the trade of a stone mason. This he followed during the summer time, while in the winter he carried on fishing. He was married (first) Oct. 23, 1846, to Anna Martha Elinasen, born in Norway April 6, 1825, who died Sept. 18, 1877, leaving Mr. Andersen seven children of the eight born to them: Elen Marie, born Aug. 4, 1847, married Perey Hickerson, of Grantsburg; Peter C., born March 28, 1849, died April 8, 1864; Sophia, born March 23, 1851, married Ole Bradstad, of Grantsburg; Andrew M., born May 12, 1855, married Ella Johnson, and is in the livery business in Grantsburg; Lars, born Nov. 27, 1859, is a miner and machinist of Idaho; Petra Amalia, born June 15, 1857, married Michael Haavde; Anna M., born Nov. 12, 1864, married Helmer Johnson, of Burnett county, Wis.; Peter C., born Nov. 27, 1866, married Johanna Larson.
Mr. Andersen’s second marriage was to Helen D. Andersen, born in Norway, widow of Stephen Christopher, who came to America with Mr. Andersen and died in 1869 at St. Croix Falls, Wis. Mrs. Andersen had these children: Hoover C., a prominent business man of St. Croix Falls, is the proprietor of a hotel, and operates a carpentershop and lumber yard; Peter A., of Polk county, Wis., is engaged in farming; Christopher is a merchant of Seattle, Wash.; Albert is a merchant in Washington; Martin is a real estate man of Washington; Tena, deceased, passed away in 1884, aged eighteen years.
On July 29, 1861, Mr. Andersen and his wife and family started for America on a sailing vessel, the trip, although it was a good one, consuming twelve weeks. He was agent for the ship “Haval Haarfager,” of Toensberg. They landed at Quebec, Canada, whence they made their way by boat to Milwaukee, Wis., from where they went to St. Croix Falls, Wis., and there they settled down. At that time St. Croix Falls was but a small settlement, and here Mr. Andersen found employment at cutting wood and at the stonemason trade. There he remained until 1863, in which year he came to Burnett county, locating where the village of Grantsburg now stands, and took up 160 acres of land. There was nothing of the village then built, and Mr. Andersen erected the first shanty for C. Andersen, the first white settler of the county. Mr. Andersen erected a log cabin, 16 x 22, one and one-half stories, lived in it ten years, and then built a house 40 x 30, two stories high. He finally removed to Grantsburg. Mr. Andersen has cleared about 140 acres. He owns 160 acres just south of Grantsburg, forty acres just north of the village in lots, and five dwelling houses. He built his present home in 1893.
Mr. Andersen was a member of the first county board of Burnett county, being appointed by the governor in 1864, and later served on that board for eight years. He was justice of the peace for one year, constable for one year, sheriff for one term, and a member of the village council for eight years. Judge Andersen is a Republican. Religiously he is connected with the M.E. Church of Grantsburg.


Andrew A. Anderson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Andrew A. Anderson, register of deeds of Grantsburg, Wis., and a prominent and influential citizen of that place, was born in Orebro (Lan), Sweden, Aug. 20, 1848, the only son of Anders and Mary (Erickson) Anderson, natives of that country, where the former followed the occupation of a farmer. The parents of our subject both died in Sweden in the faith of the Lutheran church.
Andrew A. Anderson attended the common schools of his native country and there learned the shoemaker’s trade, at which he worked for three years. He then followed farming until his twentieth year, in which he started for America. Landing at Quebec Canada, he first located at Peshtigo, Wis., and worked in a sawmill for about eleven months, at the end of which time he came to Burnett county, and, locating in Tradelake, took up 160 acres of land in the woods, being one of the first settlers of the section. He proceeded to clear his farm and to build a home, and there he married Dec. 6, 1883, Miss Louisa Johnson, of Sweden, by whom he had these children: Hilma; Edwin, a merchant of Grantsburg; Emma; Arthur; Alvin; Mamie; Erick, deceased; Elmer and Alfred, twins; and Violet, all of whom were educated in the Grantsburg schools. Mr. Anderson lived at Tradelake from the spring of 1869 until January, 1887, and during this time he engaged in a general store business and also carried mail between St. Croix Falls and Grantsburg once a week for two years. He was town clerk there about eight years. On Jan. 3, 1887, he removed to Grantsburg and was elected register of deeds of Burnett county, a position he has held ever since. He was village clerk in Grantsburg in 1888. Mr. Anderson has attended many conventions in the State, and has always supported the Republican party, casting his first vote for General Grant.
Mr. Anderson sold his old place in Tradelake and purchased twenty acres in Grantsburg and a residence and embarked in the store business. He is a member of the Swedish Lutheran church of Grantsburg and is very active in its work. Mr. Anderson is very well known and highly respected, and is one of Burnett county’s leading politicians and prominent business men.


Anton M. Anderson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Anton M. Anderson, junior member of the firm of Nelson & Anderson, dealers in groceries and general merchandise, secretary of the Grantsburg Starch Co., and one of the organizers of the First Bank of Grantsburg, was born in Christiania, Norway, March 23, 1866, son of John C. and Matilda (Michaelsen) Anderson.
John C. Anderson was a blacksmith in his native country. He came to America in 1869, locating at Racine, Wis., where he worked at his trade for three years, and then went to Chicago, Ill., working at his trade there for four years. Then he was at Manitowoc and Two Rivers, where he had charge of the shipyards for about two years. Mr. Anderson next went to Beloit, Wis., in 1878, whence he came on to Burnett county, opening a blacksmith shop there which he conducted until the fall of 1902, when he sold and bought a home at Falun, Burnett county. He had six children, five of whom are still living: Josie, wife of E.C. Bangle, of Deer River, Minn.; Annie, married to H.M. Hilgerson, of Chicago, Ill.; Anton M., our subject; Oscar W., a merchant on Milwaukee avenue, Chicago; Lillie, who married Andrew Nissen, cashier of the Pullman Co., at St. Louis; and Olga, unmarried, at home.
Anton M. Anderson’s educational advantages were somewhat limited, as he attended school but a short time. He remained at home until nineteen years of age, when he took up railroad work as agent for the Duluth Short Line, with which he remained nine years, at Rush City, Pine City, Wyoming, Taylors Falls and Grantsburg. In 1891 he operated a real estate office at East Portland, Ore., in 1892 returning to Grantsburg, and then going to Minneapolis, where he was in business six months. He then purchased the Burnett County Sentinel, of which he was editor and proprietor for seven years, at the end of which time he sold out and went into the mercantile business with a Mr. Hickerson, under the firm name of Hickerson & Anderson, this partnership continuing for one year. This he sold to go to Chicago, Ill., to take charge of the document room at the Republican National Convention held in that city during the 1900 campaign. He remained there during the entire campaign, and was then elected sergeant at arms of the Wisconsin Legislature, for 1901 and 1902, and was re-elected to that office in 1903, being the youngest man ever to hold that office, and the first man to be re-elected to the honor. Just previous to his re-election Mr. Anderson had gone into partnership with Clance Nelson, under the firm name of Nelson & Anderson, and as such they have continued since, dealing in a general line of groceries and merchandise. Mr. Anderson is secretary of the Grantsburg Starch Co., and was one of the organizers of the First Bank of that city, being a stockholder and director in the same. For the past two years he has been president of the Burnett County Agricultural Society.
Mr. Anderson was married June 27, 1894, to Miss Alice Hickerson, of Grantsburg, and to this union came one daughter, Arlene May, born May 1, 1895. Mr. Anderson is prominent in Masonic circles, being a member of Blue Lodge, No. 244, of Grantsburg; of Consistory No. 2, at Minneapolis, and of the order of the Eastern Star, being Grand Marshal of the O.E.S. for the State of Wisconsin. He also belongs to the I.O.O.F., Lodge No. 255, Grantsburg, and the Modern Woodmen. Mr. Anderson has always been identified with the workings of the Republican party in his section, and has been a member of the Republican State Central Committee for three years.


Canute Anderson
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) page: 484; transcribed by Tammy Clark
CANUTE ANDERSON (Rep.), of Grantsburg, Burnett county, was born in Bergen’s Stift, Norway, April 14, 1830; received a common school education; is a by occupation a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1851 and settled at Sterling, then in Polk but now in Burnett county; has been postmaster and has served several terms as chairman of his town board and six years as county treasurer; was a member of assembly in 1878 and was elected member of assembly for 1883 without opposition.


Carl Anderson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Carl Anderson, better known as King Carl, of Atlas, Grantsburg and Trade Lake, Burnett Co., Wis., was born in Sweden, March 16, 1836, son of Anders Johnson and Mary Elizabeth Pearson, both natives of Sweden. The father was a farmer and miner, and died there in 1846. His widow came to America, married John Abram and took up a homestead; she died at Trade Lake in 1880, and both she and her husband were members of the Lutheran Church. Her children, all by the first marriage, were: Carl; Andrew A., a farmer of Trade Lake township; Mary Louise, who married P.E. Larson, of Trade Lake township; Johanna C., who married John P. Holm; and Ulricka C., who died in 1869, in the Black Hills, Wyoming.
Carl Anderson had no opportunity to go to school, for as he was the eldest of the young family, he was forced to help in their support. He learned the trades of wagon making and blacksmithing, and mining, and found all useful. In 1861 he married Johanna Caroline Hadman, of Sweden. Four years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Anderson came to America, landing in New York City, from which city they came to Peshtigo, Wis., where he worked in the first sawmill in that place. Later, on account of his industrious habits, he was made station agent at the same place for the Co. R.R., and worked in this capacity for three years. The desire to own land of his own was ever strong within his breast, and at the expiration of the three years, he went to St. Croix Falls, and later to Burnett county, in 1868, where, in the summer of that year, he took up 160 acres at Trade Lake Four Corners. By this time many of his friends and relatives from Sweden had come over. He was the first white man to settle there, although there were plenty of Indians. About the first thing he did after securing his property, was to put up a hewed log cabin, 22 x 30, which is still standing. By hard work and great thrift, he managed to clear off his land and make it a very valuable piece of property, which he was able to sell in 1900 at a good figure. He then bought a farm of forty acres known as Gabriel’s Lake. Upon this he raises wheat, oats, corn, hay and cattle and does a large dairy business. For seventeen years he also operated a store at Trade Lake, and was agent for the National and Allan Steamship Lines. In 1879-80 he went back to Sweden, and brought back with him the second lot of emigrants to Burnett county, the first having arrived in 1868. So anxious were many of his old neighbors and friends to come to this new land of promise, that he was forced to promise to make arrangements for their passage later on, which he did. In politics, he has always been prominent, voting the Prohibitionist ticket, and he was postmaster for seven years and justice of the peace for several years. A member of the Lutheran Church, he has always taken an active interest in its good work, and was one of the founders of the church at Grantsburg.
Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson: Carl E., manager of the poor farm of Douglas county, Wis., served thirteen years as foreman on the Ohio coal dock in West Superior; Selma Berna married Louis Mayer, of Spokane, Wash.; Mine married Henry Hogenson, of Spokane, Wash.; John is deceased; Carl Ed lives at West Superior, Wis.; Carl August; Christina married A.T. Stewart, an engineer on the Great Western Railroad at West Superior, Wis.; Carl Aaron, deceased; Mary died in infancy. Possibly because he lacked educational advantages, Mr. Anderson has given his children good educations, sending them, after the public school course was finished, to Duluth, St. Peter and West Superior, and they are succeeding in their several vocations, and delighting their father by their progress.
Mr. Anderson can tell many entertaining stories of the early days when he was the first white man in the district, and encountered the red men hunting, but his meetings with them were always peaceable. He had to go from twenty-two to thirty miles to reach a mill to get his grain and corn ground. He worked hard helping make the roads and as he grew well off in this world’s goods, he never forgot the time when every penny was a serious matter, and has always assisted those whom he deemed deserving. Having always worked hard himself, he believes in others doing the same, for he realizes that honest labor teaches true values, and that no one can appreciate the full worth of a dollar until he has earned the one hundred cents. The name by which he is known, King Carl, indicates his universal popularity, and few man exert a greater or more lasting influence than he, who is a recognized representative of the best interests of Burnett county.


Lars G. Anderson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Perhaps Sweden has given the United States some of its best citizens, and among those who owe their birth to that land, is Lars G. Anderson of Grantsburg, Burnett county, Wis., a prosperous farmer of that locality, who was born in the middle part of Sweden, in 1836, a son of Anders and Christina Anderson, hard working farmers who lived and died in Sweden. Four children were born to these parents: Lars G.; Anna married John Erickson, a farmer of Burnett county, Wis.; Lena C. married John Peterson, and is now deceased; and one that died in infancy.
Lars G. Anderson was educated in his native country, and engaged in fishing until 1868, when seeking to better his condition, he came to America, but before leaving he married Sophia Anderson, also a native of Sweden, by whom he has had children as follows: Emma, Lydia, Emil, Albin, Lydia (2), Philip and Emma, all deceased, and Eva. After six weeks upon the ocean, Mr. Anderson landed in New York, and from there came to Chicago, and thence to Burnett county, Wis., and secured 160 acres of land. This property was all timber at that time, and in the midst of the woods, he erected a small log cabin, and began to clear his land. He now has about fifty acres of it cleared, and does general farming, raising wheat, oats, corn and rye, potatoes, as well as cattle and horses. He sells a number of his cattle and horses and also disposes of his milk to the creamery. Having devoted his time and attention since coming to Burnett county to farming, he has made a success of his work, although he was very poor when he first commenced. The first money he earned after coming here was eight dollars, and he worked a month to obtain it. Hard work, industrious habits and thrift have been his watch words, and he has proven what can be accomplished with no other capital than them. While a good Republican, he has never sought office. In the Baptist Church he is an active member, and is a man very highly respected in his neighborhood.


Ole Anderson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Ole Anderson, treasurer of, and stockholder in, the Grantsburg Starch Company, is one of the leading business men and influential citizens of Grantsburg, Wis., prominent alike in its business, political and social interests. He was born in Norway, June 23, 1853, son of Arne and Line Anderson, natives of that country.
Arne Anderson was a carpenter and house builder in his native country and started with his family for America in 1862. The trip of thirteen weeks was made on a sailing vessel, during which the father died in mid-ocean, being buried at sea in June of that year. The family, after landing in America, settled in St. Croix Falls, Wis. Arne Anderson and wife had the following children: Peter, who died in the Civil war at Lookout Mountain, Tenn.; Annie, who married Sven Peterson, a farmer of Grantsburg, Wis.; Isabella, deceased; Mary, wife of Joel A. Hickerson, of Grantsburg, a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere; Ole; and Levi, a farmer, of Grantsburg.
Ole Anderson received but a limited education, and started out at the age of nine years to make his own way in the world. He worked in the woods for ten years, and the next ten years were spent with Joel A. Hickerson in the general merchandise business. Selling out his interest, Mr. Anderson engaged in the manufacture of potato starch at Grantsburg. He was one of the organizers of the Grantsburg Starch Company, and has been the manager of that firm since its inception. The company now consists of S. J. Mealey, of Monticello, Minn., president; J. A. Hickerson, vice-president; A.M. Anderson, secretary; Ole Anderson, manager and treasurer; and Simon Thoreson, stockholder. The produce of this firm finds a ready market in the East. Mr. Anderson also owns a one-fourth interest in the Hickerson Rolling Mills of Grantsburg; is one of the heavy stockholders of the First Bank of Grantsburg, of which he was vice-president three years; and a stockholder of the Scandinavian Bank of St. Paul, Minn. He now resides in his fine home in Grantsburg, which he himself erected.
Mr. Anderson has been twice married, his first wife having been Augusta Hedstrom, who died in 1891, the mother of three children: Russell; Mamie, who died aged five years; and Augusta. He married (second) Miss Emma Olson, by whom he has had three children: two children who died in infancy, and Mamie Elizabeth. Mr. Anderson is a Mason, belonging to Blue Lodge of Grantsburg, No. 244. He is also connected with the Modern Woodmen of Grantsburg, No. 3223. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, and is well known in church circles. Politically a Republican, he has been a member of the village council for twelve years, and attends State and county conventions.


William Anderson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
William Anderson, one of the leading business men of the village of Grantsburg, Wis., president and one of the organizers of the Grantsburg Loan, Title & Realty Co., stockholder in the Hickerson Rolling Mills and the Farmers’ Starch Co., and one of the directors of the First Bank of Grantsburg, was one of the organizers of that village. Mr. Anderson was born in Sweden Feb. 15, 1852, son of Andrew and Anna (Swenson) Anderson, natives of that country.
Andrew Anderson was a farmer in his native country, where he died in 1870. After the death of her husband Mrs. Anderson came, in 1871, to the United States, living in Burnett county, Wis., until her death, which occurred March 18, 1893. She was a member of the Lutheran Church in her native country, but after coming to America embraced the faith of the M.E. Church. She and her husband were the parents of eleven children, three of whom still survive: William, our subject; John, who lives in Burnett county, four miles north of Grantsburg, engaged in farming, and Charlotta, who married J.H. Staufford, and lives at Fergus Falls, Minnesota.
William Anderson had little chance for an education, having to go seven miles to school. After completing his education he learned boot and shoe fitting, which he followed until coming to America. In 1869 he located in St. Paul, Minn., where he remained until the fall of 1877, in that year locating in Grantsburg, Wis. He first worked in the woods, where he had purchased some land, engaging in the logging business, in which he continued until 1893, floating his logs to Stillwater, Minn., by the St. Croix river. He also bought and sold land. He lived for a time in Marshland, Wis., where he served as chairman of the town board.
Mr. Anderson married, in 1886, Miss Minnie Eliason, a native of Norway, who came with her parents to the United States in infancy. Peter and Helen Eliason were natives of Norway, and were early settlers of Burnett county, Wis. Both now live near Seattle, Wash. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have been born five children: Walter, the eldest, who died Nov. 18, 1893; Pearl Helen, who is attending high school; Ruth Violetta; Hazel Adeline, and Corinne Joy.
After locating in Grantsburg Mr. Anderson engaged in the real estate business, dealing extensively in farm land. He also built several stores in Grantsburg. He was one of the organizers of the Grantsburg Loan, Title & Realty Co., organized in May, 1902, with the following officers: William Anderson, president; A.P. Nelson, secretary, and William Anderson, A.P. Nelson, Ole Anderson, Andrew Peterson and T.C. Farmen, directors. Mr. Anderson also holds a one-fourth interest in the Hickerson Rolling Mills, of Grantsburg, is a stockholder in the Farmers’ Starch Co., and one of the directors of the First Bank of Grantsburg. He has represented the village on the county board, of which he was chairman. He was one of the organizers of the village of Grantsburg, was police justice for several years, and was a member of the board of trustees of the village. He has been very active in all political movements of the village and county. Politically he is a stanch Republican. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons, being a member of Blue Lodge, No. 244, of Grantsburg, and is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Anderson is a consistent member of the M.E. Church, was one of the builders of the church edifice, and has been very active in the congregation. His home, conveniently situated, is one of the finest in Grantsburg. He is a most excellent man and commands the respect and esteem of all with whom he is associated and acquainted.


A. B. Colvin
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Wednesday, 25 Aug. 1920; transcribed by FoFG mz
GRANTSBURG, Wis., Aug. 24. – The Rev. A. B. Colvin of the Baptist churches in Grantsburg and Wood River, will be transferred to Rhinelander after Oct. 1. He is now in Worcester, Mass., as a delegate to the general conference of the Baptist church.


Frank G. Dahlberg
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Frank G. Dahlberg, county judge of Burnett county, has been a resident of that county for thirty six years. He was born Feb. 2, 1857, in Dalarne, Sweden, son of Olaf and Sophia Dahlberg, natives of Sweden.
In his native country, Olaf Dahlberg was a foreman in a smelting works. On coming to America in 1868 he located for a time in Minneapolis, Minn., after which he removed to Tradelake, Burnett Co., Wis., where he took up 160 acres of government land and settled in the woods where he erected a log cabin and started to clear a home. Mr. Dahlberg was killed in a runaway accident in 1890, while his wife passed away in 1871. Although a stanch Republican he never aspired to office. He was a member of the Lutheran church, and was well known and esteemed throughout the community. He and his wife had children as follows: Fred, a carpenter by trade, resides in Minneapolis; Frank G., our subject; Aaron Oscar, who runs a sawmill at Tradelake, Wis.; John A., residing in Oklahoma, where he carries on contracting and building; Hilma, wife of N. L. C. Briggs, of Sioux City, Iowa; Otto B., a carpenter of Grantsburg; and Ida, who married a Mr. Walsh, and resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Frank G. Dahlberg received only a common school education and remained at home until his marriage to Mary Sniborg, of Sweden, daughter of Nels F. and Anna Maria (Brosill) Sniborg, natives of Sweden. The parents of Mrs. Dahlberg came to America in 1869, and after living in Chicago, Ill., for one year, came to Washburn county, Wis., and took up 160 acres of government land, one and one-half miles southwest of the village of Grantsburg, where Mrs. Sniborg died, and where the father still makes his home, at the age of eighty-seven years. Mr. and Mrs. Dahlberg have these children: Laura, assistant register of deeds of Burnett county; Hulda, a teacher; Lydia, a stenographer at Sioux City, Iowa; Esther, attending the high school at Grantsburg; and Hildegard, Francis, Florence and Gladys, at home.
For a number of years Mr. Dahlberg engaged in railroad contracting in different places and also owned a sixty-acre farm at Tradelake, where he makes his home. In 1885 he was elected town clerk of Tradelake and served two terms, was chairman of Tradelake for two years, postmaster for one term, and a member of the Legislature in 1895, 1898 and 1899. He was justice of the peace for many years, and was elected county judge of Burnett county in 1901 to serve four years. He has always been a stanch Republican. Judge Dahlberg is a consistent member of the Lutheran church. He has engaged in a number of successful business enterprises, among which was a farm implement business, and he is very well known and highly respected all over the county.


Hon. Ole Erickson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Hon. Ole Erickson, postmaster of Grantsburg, Burnett Co., Wis., and a prominent and influential citizen of that place was born in Ofvanmyra, Sweden, Nov. 25, 1864, son of Ole and Christina Erickson, natives of the same place who came to America in 1878. On locating in this country, Mr. Erickson, Sr., began operations on his farm in Isanti county, Minnesota, where he continued until his death in 1893. Although a tailor and brick mason by trade, he never followed those occupations in this country. Mrs. Erickson still survives, and is making her home in Princeton, Minn. She and her husband had these children: Ole; Henry, a machine dealer of Princeton, Minn.; Andrew, formerly in the meat business at Cambridge, Minn., and now assistant cashier of the Cambridge State Bank; Erick, deceased; and Christina, who married Ed Clegett, sheriff of Mille Lacs county, Minnesota.
Ole Erickson received a common school education and remained at home until 1886, when he purchased eighty acres of farm land and followed farming and lumbering in Isanti county, Minn., for about six years. At the end of that time he sold out and came to Grantsburg, Wis., where he formed a partnership with A.E. Nelson under the firm name of Nelson & Erickson, and carried on a general store for two and one-half years. In 1894 he sold out to Mr. Nelson, and then worked in the store for a time. In 1896 he was elected county clerk of Burnett county, Wis., for two terms, and served four years in that capacity. Nov. 4, 1900, he was elected a member of the Legislature from Burnett and Polk counties, for the term of two years. While a member of the Legislature Mr. Erickson was appointed postmaster at Grantsburg, to serve four years and maintains the finest up-to-date postoffice of its size. In that office he is at present serving, with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of the community. During his term the office has been raised to a Presidential office and four rural delivery routes established, all in one year. Mr. Erickson has also assisted in re-arranging the Star route service throughout the country, so that the people are getting daily mail, with thirty mails for Grantsburg. He has also arranged for a new postoffice building, with new fixtures and furniture. A stanch Republican in politics he has taken an active interest in public matters, and was chairman of the Republican County Committee for two years. Mr. Erickson assisted in organizing the Grantsburg State Bank, and became its first vice-president. The bank opened for business May 22, 1905, and has a capital of $12,500.
In 1894 Mr. Erickson married Hannah S. Anderson, of Burnett county, Wis., daughter of August B. and Carolina Anderson, natives of Sweden and early settlers of Burnett county, who are both now deceased. He has one daughter, Mildred Joyce. Mr. Erickson fraternizes with the I.O.O.F. No. 325, of Grantsburg, in the Interstate Park Encampment, St. Croix Falls, Wis., No. 28. He is also connected with the Modern Woodmen No. 3223 of Grantsburg.


Joel A. Hickerson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Joel A. Hickerson, a retired business man of Grantsburg, Wis., and founder of the Hickerson Rolling Mills, is a well-known capitalist of the city, having large real estate holdings and being interested in various business concerns.
He was born in Putnam County, Ohio, April 2, 1835, son of Joseph Hickerson, a native of Maryland, and grandson of Samuel Hickerson, who died aged 102 years.
Lemuel Hickerson, of England, the great-grandfather of our subject, served in the Revolutionary war, after which he returned to England, where he died. Samuel Hickerson, the grandfather, went to the Eastern part of Ohio, and during the Blackhawk War moved to Putnam county. At this time there were only thirteen men in Putnam and Hancock counties, between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years that could get together to train for the militia. Samuel Hickerson followed farming in Putnam county all his life and there died. He married Sophia _____, and she also died in Putnam county, the mother of these children: Samuel, Joseph, Lemuel, Elkam, Sophia, Parthenia and Betsey.
Joseph Hickerson took up land in Putnam county, where the village of Gilboa now stands. There he cleared a farm, which he later sold, removing three miles west, where he purchased 160 acres of timber land. This land he also cleared, with the assistance of his boys, and made a fine home, part of which is still owned by a member of the Hickerson family. He was a steady, hard working man, and made a success of his undertakings. To sell his wheat he was compelled to travel 140 miles to Sandusky, Ohio, receiving forty cents per bushel, taking part of the price in trade. He made the trip with horses and wagon. He was a justice of the peace and constable, and politically was a Democrat. Religiously he was a member of the M.E. Church. In 1853 the family came to Wisconsin, settling at River Falls, where Mr. Hickerson died in 1854, aged sixty-eight years, while his wife survived him until Jan. 9, 1891, when she died at the home of her son, Eli Hickerson. Mrs. Hickerson was born in Virginia, of Holland stock. She was ninety-nine years old at the time of her death, yet up to a short time prior to that event was in the best of health and in the full retention of her faculties. She and her husband had these children: Nimrock, who died in California, was a lumberman and carpenter, and went to California in 1870; Samuel, living near River Falls, is nearly ninety years of age; Eli is a farmer of Menton, Minn.; Scott lives in Putnam county, Ohio; John, who died in Findlay, Ohio, was a farmer; Martin is a farmer of Belmore, Ohio; Joel A. is our subject; Perry is in the livery business in Grantsburg; and Newton, of Grantsburg, is clerk of the Court of Burnett county.
Joel A. Hickerson received but limited schooling, attending but three months a year in the old log school house, which was fitted with puncheon seats. He lived at home until sixteen years of age, when he went to White county, Ind., working on a farm for one season. He then returned home, and in 1853 went West with his parents. They took eight horses and twenty head of cattle, driving all the way to River Falls, a long rough trip, which took two months. Mr. Hickerson’s brother, Eli, had gone ahead to purchase the land upon which the family settled. Joel A. Hickerson worked in the woods for some time, and then took up a homestead in Burnett county, one and one-half miles southwest of Grantsburg, upon which he settled in 1861. In 1862, at Sunrise, Minn., he enlisted in Company C, 7th Minn. V.I., his enlistment being dated Sept. 16th.
Mr. Hickerson’s regiment went at once to Fort Ripley, Minn., where his company was fitted with the old Harper’s Ferry muskets and with but two rounds of cartridges each. They remained at Fort Ripley about one month, and then went to Mankato, Minn., where they spent the winter. In the spring of the following year, Mr. Hickerson’s company was detailed to hang thirty-eight Indians, who had murdered several white men. Mr. Hickerson took active part in this work, placing the rope around six of the Indians’ necks himself. He also helped to take some Indians to Davenport, Ia. On an Indian expedition with Gen. Sibley, Mr. Hickerson participated in a running fight, in which fifty-two Indians were killed. The regiment then went to St. Louis, later to Vicksburg, Memphis and New Orleans, and participated in the battles of Lagrange and Holly Springs; Talahucha; Hurricane Creek; Tupelo, Miss.; Mobile Bay; and was in a skirmish at Fish river. They succeeded in capturing Spanish Fort, after thirteen days and nights, and then crossed over and attacked Fort Blakely, which was also captured. Thence they went to Montgomery, and Selma, Ala., where the regiment spent the summer. They then went to Vicksburg, and came back by boat to St. Paul, Minn., marching to Fort Snelling, where Mr. Hickerson was discharged Sept. 19, 1865. Mr. Hickerson had numerous close calls, and was wounded a number of times. At Spanish Fort he was shot in the right shoulder, and cut across the same shoulder twice; was shot through the second finger of the left hand at Tupelo, and was wounded by a bayonet thrust through the right foot at Holly Springs. His record while in the army is an excellent one, and is one which any man might be proud to have.
On returning from the war Mr. Hickerson returned to Burnett county, where the government had held his claim. He took up farm work, and erected a log house 16 x 24, one and one-half stories high, which he later sold to A. Skog. Up to that time they had no American flag in the county, and the women of the neighborhood made one to be raised July 4, 1866. On that day, while celebrating, Mr. Hickerson had a close call from being killed by a powder explosion. After selling the farm Mr. Hickerson started lumbering, and he and his brother, Nimrock, built the first sawmill in Burnett county; the mill was run by water-power, and had a circular saw. In this business the Hickerson Brothers continued for some time, also engaging in running logs to Stillwater, Minn. After selling the saw mill Mr. Hickerson purchased a plat of ground in Grantsburg, the present site of Larsen Brothers’ place, and erected a store building, there being only one other store there, and that a small one, at that time. Mr. Hickerson continued in this business for about fifteen years. He was the builder of the Hickerson Rolling Mills, and still holds a one-fourth interest in them; is a stockholder in the First Bank of Grantsburg; an organizer and stockholder of the Grantsburg Starch Co.; owns stock and is one of the organizers of the Hamline Bank of Hamline, Minn.; and owns the Hickerson Store buildings and the Masonic Lodge hall up stairs. He built his present residence in Grantsburg in 1888.
Mr. Hickerson was married, in 1869, to May Anderson, of Norway, and to this marriage were born seven children, namely: Alice married A.M. Anderson, a general merchant of Grantsburg; Harry, clerk for Luther Jensen, married Ida Olson; Milton is a land owner of Spokane, Wash.; Isabelle married L.R. Roberts, assistant cashier of the Bank of Grantsburg; Raymond died aged five years; Roy is attending school and Blanche is also attending school. Mr. Hickerson is an honored comrade of W. S. Rosecrans Post, No. 49, G.A.R., of Grantsburg, Wis., of which post he is adjutant.


A. M. Jensen
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
A. M. Jensen, a prominent and successful young business man of Grantsburg, Wis., engaged in the hardware business, was born May 8, 1871, on the old Jensen homestead in Burnett county, son of Jens J. and Amelia Jensen, natives of Norway and early settlers of Burnett county.
Jens J. Jensen was a farmer in his native country, where he also followed the sea. In about 1860 he came to America and located in Taylor’s Falls, Minn., where he followed farming and lumbering for about two years. At the end of that time he came to Burnett county, Wis., settling two and one-half miles southeast of Grantsburg, taking up 160 acres of heavy hardwood timber land, upon which he erected a log cabin, in which he lived for several years. He then erected a good frame house in which he still lives. For many years he was engaged in general farming, lumbering and dairying, growing all kinds of grain and raising sheep, hogs and cattle. He helped to build the Canute Anderson Mills, the first in the county, and held office in the county, being elected as a stanch Republican. Religiously he was a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church. Mr. and Mrs. Jensen were the parents of eleven children: Jens, deceased; Annie, the wife of Andrew Anderson, living in Sandstone, Minn.; Isabelle, who married Tobias Thoreson, a farmer of Grantsburg; Jensena, deceased, who married Robert Carlson; Theodore, on the old place, engaged in farming; Amandus M., our subject; Simon, of Sandstone, Minn., who clerks in a department store; William, hardware clerk, of Braham, Minn., and three children who died young.
A.M. Jensen had little chance to attend school, and when he could was obliged to go a distance of three miles. He remained at home until fourteen years of age, when he went to work in the woods. Later he was engaged in the hardware store of P.E. Peterson & Son, Grantsburg, with whom he remained seven years. This business he later purchased, in company with B.F. White, and they continued it until 1899, when Mr. Jensen bought his partner’s interest in the business, in which he still continues. He has a fine line of hardware and sporting goods, pumps, stoves, ranges and tinware, and also conducts a tin shop, and deals in steam fittings, paints and oils. He has proved himself a man of business ability. Mr. Jensen is himself a great sportsman and seldom returns from a hunting or fishing trip without some spoils of the forest or stream.
Mr. Jensen was married in December, 1894, to Miss Emma Peterson, of Grantsburg, and to this union have been born three children, two of whom are living: Myrtle C. and Vera L. Alton M. died aged three years and two months. Politically Mr. Jensen is a Republican and has served twice in the village council. He is connected fraternally with the Woodmen of America at Grantsburg, and is a Blue Lodge Mason. In religion he is a Lutheran. He is considered one of the substantial business men of his village, in which he is very well known and highly esteemed.


James H. Jensen
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
James H. Jensen, who has large land holdings in Burnett and surrounding counties, is extensively engaged in the real estate business. Born a poor boy, he has, through his untiring energy, his business foresight and his ability to see opportunities and accept them, worked his way to the top of the ladder of Success. Mr. Jensen was born Aug. 16, 1864, three miles south of Grantsburg, Wis., son of Michael and Mary Jensen, natives of Norway.
Michael Jensen came to America in 1862 and settled at St. Croix Falls, Wis., where he farmed and worked in the woods for about one year. Then he went to Burnett county and purchased 160 acres of land, which he operated until he died in 1876; his wife passed away in 1870. They were members of the Lutheran Church. Michael and Mary Jensen had eight children: Jens, deceased; Mary, deceased; Isabelle, of White Bear Lake, widow of N. Peterson; Hans, on the old Homestead; Iver, deceased; James H., our subject; John M., deceased, who married Hanna Thoreson; and Mary, deceased.
James H. Jensen received but a limited education, and lived with his brother, Hans, on the old place, until seventeen years of age. He then went into the store at Anderson postoffice, where he remained three years, spending the next three years in Grantsburg with Canute Oleson. He then went to Duluth, Minn., where he engaged in a flour, feed and farm produce business for a year and a half, returning at the end of this time to Grantsburg, where he was employed by Simon Thoreson for one year, in the latter’s store. He was with J. A. Hickerson for fifteen months in the general store, and on Jan. 1, 1891, having been elected county clerk, took that position, which he held for six years. He then operated a lumber yard for some time, and in the fall of 1897 purchased one thousand acres of land in Barron county, Wis. He now owns the town site of Barronett, a hotel and a creamery, and much land. He also conducted a store in this thriving village of 200 inhabitants, but this he sold. He now deals extensively in land in Barron, Polk, Washburn and Burnett counties, and is one of the largest land-owners of Grantsburg. He has forty acres platted, known as the "Jensen Addition" to Grantsburg.
Mr. Jensen was married Sept. 29, 1889, to Isabella Thoreson, daughter of Bersvend Thoreson, an old settler and prominent citizen of Burnett county, who helped organize one of the first churches of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Jensen have eight children: Ben M., Mamie Ruth, Jean J., Helen Isabella, Clara, Leslie James, Jessie and Ray Malcolm. Mr. Jensen is a Mason, belonging to Blue Lodge No. 244, Grantsburg, and he also belongs to the Woodmen of the World, being a charter member of Camp No. 20. He was one of the organizers of the local K. of H. Religiously he is connected with the Lutheran Church. Mr. Jensen erected his beautiful home in Grantsburg in 1895.
Like his father, who was the first member of the county board of Burnett county, Mr. Jensen is a Republican, has served on the village board of his adopted place, and is now the president of the village of Grantsburg. He is also president of the Burnett County Fair Association.

Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) page 476; transcribed by FoFG mz
JAMES H. JENSEN (Rep.) served in the 1917 session of the legislature and was re-elected in 1918 without opposition after winning out in the primary by a large vote. Born on a farm near Grantsburg, Aug. 16, 1864, he moved into the city in 1884, where he has been successfully engaged in the mercantile, lumber and real estate business. He served as county clerk six years, chairman of the county board several terms, village trustee, then village president 10 years, had charge of the municipal electric lighting plant and was president of the Burnett County Fair Association for 11 years.


Jens J. Jensen
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Norway has contributed to the United States many of its most reliable, sober and industrious citizens, and Grantsburg, Burnett Co., Wis., is no exception to this rule, many of its leading men being natives of that far distant land. Among those thus referred to is one Jens J. Jensen, who was born in Norway, Aug. 30, 1836, a son of Jens Hendricks and Ingeborg Marie (Ingersbricsen) Jensen, both of Middle Norway. By occupation the father was a farmer, and was very useful in doing the various tasks about a place, being really a born mechanic. Eight children were born to himself and wife, five of who came to America: Mekal, deceased, lived in Burnett county; Trena, who married Erick Hanson, of Burnett county; Julia Ann, of Eau Claire, Wis.; Christ, lived in Norway; Carrie, deceased; Christiana, residing in Norway; Jens J.; Mary, married to Lars Valem, and living at Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
Jens J. Jensen received but a limited education in his native land, and remained at home until he was twenty-seven, working principally at cutting out timber. In 1857 he was united in marriage with Anilia Stenerson, born July 27, 1835, daughter of Joakem Stenerson and Anna Johana Myre, who lived and died in Norway. Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Jensen, six of whom grew to maturity; Ana, married Andrew Anderson, and lives in Pine county; Ingeborg married Tobias Thoreson, and lives in Burnett county; Jensena is deceased; Theodore, farming on the old homestead, married Watilda Anderson; Mandus married Emma Pitirson, and lives at Grantsburg; Simon is in a store at Sandstone, Minn.; William is clerking in a hardware store at Braham, Minn.; and the others died in infancy.
In 1862 Mr. and Mrs. Jensen and one daughter started for America in a sailing vessel, and were six weeks on the voyage, landing at Quebec, Canada, whence they came on to La Crosse, Wis., and then on to St. Croix Falls. This was during the winter, so they stayed at the latter place until warm weather, when they made their way to Grantsburg, Burnett county. During that summer they remained with Canut Anderson, Mr. Jensen working in a sawmill, cutting timber and doing anything he could find at which to earn an honest penny. In 1864 he located at his present place, which was then all covered with dense woods. In order to put up a crude log cabin, he had to make a cutting in the midst of the vast wilderness of trees. Energetic then, as always, he put up his log house with hinged logs, 16x22, and when it was done and his little family established in it, he began his mighty task of clearing off his land. Mrs. Jensen nobly bore her part, not only making the clothing for the family, but spinning and weaving the cloth. She spun yarn and knit their stockings in addition to cooking and working about her little home, with none of the conveniences of the present day. She also practiced midwifery. Mr. Jensen took up 160 acres, clearing about eighty acres, and later he sold the remaining eighty acres to his son. At present he is raising wheat, oats and potatoes, and kills a good many cows, sheep and hogs, doing a large business in this line, although at present he is living somewhat retired at Grantsburg. He has always been an active Republican, and for thirty-five years was a member of the county board of Burnett, and was also road commissioner for fifteen years, proving a very efficient official. One of the pillars of the Norwegian Lutheran Church, in 1872, he helped very materially in building the church, and is always exceedingly prominent in church work.  Starting in his new life almost without a cent, Mr. Jensen by persistent, untiring hard work, combined with thrift and good management, has succeeded far beyond his expectations when he landed in this country, and he has the satisfaction of living to see his sons and daughters grow up about him, a credit to their parents and the several communities in which they reside.


Ole Mattson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Ole Mattson, sheriff of Burnett county, Wis., is a native of Sweden, born June 24, 1859, son of R.M. and Anna (Thyboch) Olson, also natives of that country. R.M. Olson was a farmer and road contractor in his native country, and came to America in 1868, locating at Mendota, Minn., for one summer, at the end of which time he removed to Balsam Lake, Polk Co., Wis. Taking up 160 acres of land on the county line, on Sections 3 and 4, Lake township, he there settled in the woods, erecting a log cabin. He cleared a great deal of land and followed farming until his death in 1887. His widow still survives, and lives with her son. They were members of the M.E. Church. Two children were born to R.M. and Anna Olson, namely – Christina, who married Lars Peterson, a farmer of Polk Co., Wis.; and Ole, our subject.
Ole Mattson received but three months schooling, having to work hard as a boy, and he remained at home until 1888. He erected a mill at Tradelake, which was destroyed by fire in 1897, and this he rebuilt, still operating it. In 1902 he was elected sheriff of Burnett Co., Wis., for a term of two years. He has also served as supervisor and chairman of Tradelake, and has always voted the Republican ticket, which party has continued to recognize his usefulness.
Mr. Mattson was married, in 1883, to Selma Peterson, a native of Sweden, and they have had eleven children, ten of whom are living: Edith, Elmer, Mornitz, Ernest, Rurick, Alice, Nora, Lydia, Russell, Noble (deceased) and Helen. Mr. Mattson is a member of the Modern Woodmen of Grantsburg. He attends the M.E. Church.


A. J. Myrland
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) Transcribed by: Glenda Stevens
A. J. MYRLAND, district attorney of Burnett county, and a prominent businessman of Grantsburg, was born Jan. 15, 1861, in Norway, son of Ole S. and Othine H. (Sellevold) Myrland, natives of Norway. Ole S. Myrland was a fisherman, and followed the sea from thirteen years old until his thirty-third year. He came to America in 1866, and located in Primrose, Dane Co., Wis, where he farmed until his death in 1893. His widow is now living in Leroy Minn., with a son. Mr. Myrland was a member of the Lutheran Church. He and his wife had nine children, only two of whom are now living, namely: August J.; and Knute S., a farmer of Leroy, Minnesota.

August J. Myrland was educated in the home schools, remaining at home until twenty-one years of age, when he went to Milton College for two years, and then to the University of Wisconsin, from which he was graduated in 1890. He then taught school for two years in Dane county, Wis., and was principal of the Belleville high school, at Belleville, Wis., for five years. He then attended the University Law school at Madison, and was admitted to the Bar in 1896. He taught school at Glenwood, Minn., until February, 1897, at which time he came to Grantsburg.

Mr. Myrland was married in Dane county, Wis., Aug. 21, 1890, to Lena B. Anderson, of Perry, Dane Co., Wis., and to this union have been born: Arthur L.; Ruth H., Otto E., James C. and Mina M. After locating in Grantsburg Mr. Myrland took up the practice of law, was elected district attorney for Burnett county in the fall of 1898, and has served in that office to the present time. He has been school clerk for seven years, village attorney for eight years, secretary of the Farmers’ Starch Co., for four years, and is interested in a number of other business enterprises. Politically he is a staunch Republican, and attended the State conventions of 1900 and 1902. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of Grantsburg; and of the I. O. O. F., No. 225, Grantsburg. He attends the Methodist Church.

In April, 1901, Mr. Myrland purchased a one-half interest in the Burnett County Sentinel, which was established in 1875, and he is now the editor of this publication. In March, 1903, he was appointed member of the board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin from the 11th congressional district for the term of three years.


Adolphus P. Nelson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Adolphus P. Nelson, cashier and director of the First Bank of Grantsburg, Grantsburg, Wis., and secretary and treasurer of the Grantsburg Loan, Title & Realty Co. (Incorporated), and general manager of both companies, was born in 1872 in Alexandria, Douglas Co., Minn., son of Nels A. and Stena Nelson, natives of Sweden.
Nels A. Nelson came to America in boyhood with his parents and located in Goodhue county, Minn. Mrs. Nelson came to America at the age of twenty-five years, locating in Douglas county, Minn., where she met Mr. Nelson, who was sheriff of Douglas county at that time, and also followed farming and hotel keeping. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson now reside at Cyrus, Minn. They are members of the Augustana Lutheran Church. He has held the office of supervisor and has been school director, and has filled a number of minor offices. Politically he is a Republican. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson have children as follows: Mary, who married August Max, and died in 1901; Adolphus P.; Oscar S., a merchant at Alexandria, Minn.; and Emil F., at home.
Adolphus P. Nelson was educated in the home schools and took his course in the high school at Alexandria, Minn., in seventeen months, working his way through by cutting wood. After his graduation, in 1892, he engaged in bookkeeping at the Douglas County Bank for two years. He took charge of the bank at Hamline, of which he was cashier for four years, at the same time taking his full college course, graduating in 1897 with the degree of B.A. from Hamline University. In 1897 Mr. Nelson located in Grantsburg to accept the position of cashier and manager of the First Bank of Grantsburg, with which he is still connected. He is secretary and treasurer of the Hickerson Rolling Mills; treasurer of the Farmers’ Starch Co., of Grantsburg; president of the Business Men’s Association of Grantsburg; treasurer of the village school board; secretary and treasurer of the Grantsburg Loan, Title & Realty Co.; cashier of and director in the Midway State Bank of St. Paul, organized April 1, 1903; secretary-treasurer of the Journal Publishing Company, and a director in the North American Casualty Co., of Minneapolis.
Politically Mr. Nelson is a staunch Republican. He is a member of the M.E. Church, and since locating in Grantsburg has helped build the Central M.E. Church, and is superintendent of its Sunday school; president of the Epworth League; president of West Wisconsin Lay Association; secretary and treasurer of the board of trustees and board of stewards. As a recognition of his services for the church, Mr. Nelson was sent to the general conference at Los Angeles, in 1904, as a delegate.
Mr. Nelson was married Aug. 4, 1897, to Lulu E. Strang, of Alexandria, Minn., daughter of Hon. G.J. Strang, member of the State Legislature of Minnesota. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson had one daughter, Constance Elva, who was killed in an elevator accident at Duluth, Minn., in 1902. Fraternally Mr. Nelson is a Mason, belonging to the Blue Lodge of Grantsburg, and is also connected with the Woodmen of the World, M.W.A. He is a man of recognized ability, and has achieved his phenomenal business success through his individual efforts. He is a man of excellent character, and many staunch friends throughout the county and State. He is a recognized leader and an orator of marked ability, and is always in demand for addresses and speeches for public occasions.
Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) pages 459-460; transcribed by FoFG mz

ADOLPHUS P. NELSON (Rep.) was elected to the unexpired term of Irvin L. Lenroot (resigned) in the Sixty-fifth congress, in November 1918 without opposition and at the same time was elected to the Sixty-sixth congress. He was born on a farm near Alexandria, Minn., March 28, 1872, graduated from the Alexandria high school in 1892; worked his way through college, graduating from Hamline University in 1897. He has been a Regent of the University of Wisconsin I3 years, vice president of the Board 4 years and twice president. He is also vice-president of the Board of Trustees of Hamlin University, president of the First Bank of Grantsburg, and the Burnett County State Bank, at Webster; vice president of the Bankers Casualty Co., of Minneapolis; director of the Old Line Life Insurance Co., of Milwaukee; president of the General Conference Laymen's Association of the Methodist Episcopal church and was delegate to the General Conference Quadrennium in 1904-08-12 and 16. He was chairman of the Burnett County Council of Defense; served as mayor of Grantsburg, and president of the village school board for 8 years. He was married Aug. 4, 1897 to Miss Lulu E. Strang.


Thorsten Olsen
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Thorsten Olsen, one of the leading business men of Burnett county, Wis., is a highly esteemed resident of the village of Grantsburg. Mr. Olsen is a native of Norway, born Sept. 29, 1841, son of Ole Clemeson and Turi Thorsenson, natives of the same place.  The father was a blacksmith by trade and both he and his wife spent their entire lives in their native country, where she died aged eighty-six, and he in his seventy-eighth year. They were members of the Lutheran church. Mr. and Mrs. Olsen had seven children: Birgit, Mary, Joron, Ronang, Clemet, Thorsten and Birgit.
Thorsten Olsen was educated in the schools of his native country, and he lived at home until 1867. In early life he learned the shoemaking trade, at which he worked on coming to America in 1867, at Chicago, Ill., where he remained one year. He then went to Winona, Minn., where he worked for two years for Brown & Schmidt, shoe manufacturers, then going to St. Peter, where he also spent two years. Mr. Olsen went from St. Peter to St. Paul, being employed by Johnson & Mason for two years, and leaving their employ to engage with Forpaugh & Tarbox, with whom he remained five years. At this time his health gave away, and for two years was unable to do any work, but in the spring of 1879 he located in Grantsburg, Wis., making his way by team, as there were no railroads at that time. At the time of Mr. Olsen’s location in Grantsburg there were but eleven houses in the now thriving village of about 700 inhabitants. The second year of his residence there he started a drug store and sold patent medicines. His business grew rapidly, and he put in a much larger stock. Mr. Olsen soon took up the study of pharmacy, having a doctor to assist him, and on Jan. 20, 1886, passed the State board of examiners. He returned to Grantsburg and enlarged his business and continued in the drug business until 1900, when he sold out to N. Unseth, of Grantsburg. From 1900 to the present time Mr. Olsen has devoted his time to his grocery and flour business, and in the latter year took up a homestead in Marshland, Burnett county, a tract of 120 acres.
In 1869, at Winona, Minn., Mr. Olsen was married to Miss Martha Jensen Engelstad, who was born in Norway, April 28, 1848. Mr. and Mrs. Olsen have had seven children: Tillie, married Andrew Peterson, of Grantsburg; George married Tensie Anderson and is living in Grantsburg, where he carries on bookkeeping and clerking; Nora is teaching music at home; Olof is clerking and bookkeeping at Grantsburg; Louise is a teacher in the schools and of music at Grantsburg; Inga is at home, attending high school; and Thomas is also at high school. Mr. Olsen has been village councilman and has been a member of the school board, the board of control and the Fair Association. He has always taken a great interest in township events, and votes with the Republican party. He is a consistent member of the Lutheran church. He is the owner of a good deal of real estate, residence and farm lands, aggregating 840 acres. He is also engaged in dealing in real estate at Grantsburg. Mr. Olsen has been local weather observer for eleven years.


Bersven Thoreson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Bersven Thoreson, a prosperous farmer of Burnett county, was born April 25, 1835, at Aason, Bardo, Norway, son of Thore Ingebrigtson and Hanna Olson, both of whom were also natives of Norway. In 1862 the father came with his family to Burnett county, Wis., and took up a claim of 160 acres of land within a half mile of the village of South Grantsburg.
At this time the country was almost a wilderness, and the father built his little log cabin in the woods. He cleared his land and remained on this farm until 1873, when he spent two years in Missouri, and then returned to Grantsburg, where both father and mother of our subject died, aged about ninety-two years. They had eight children, as follows: Ingebrigtson, who lives in Norway, engaged in farming and fishing; Ole, engaged in farming in Burnett county; Karen, married Erick Tholff, and both are deceased; Bersven; Iver, who lives one mile south of Grantsburg; Jorgina, deceased; Ola A., a county judge and a farmer near Red River, Minn., formerly postmaster at East Grand Forks; and Isabelle, who married Arne Higdon, and lives at Seattle, Washington.
Bersven Thoreson enjoyed but few early educational advantages, and his youth was spent in hard work, farming, lumbering and fishing. In 1859 he was (first) married to Randi Olson, of Norway, who died in 1887. In 1860 he started for America, taking passage on a sailing vessel, which, after a voyage of seven weeks, landed him at Quebec, Canada, from which point he came to La Crosse, Wis., arriving with fifty cents as his whole capital. He soon found work at farming and spent three months at Taylor’s Falls, Minn., and then came to Burnett county, where he was employed by Canute Anderson. Mr. Thoreson assisted in building a mill and worked in the woods getting out pine, during the winter of 1861. During the following summer he worked in Goodhue county, Minn., at harvesting. In the fall he went through Minnesota to look at land, but did not find a place to suit him and spent the winter again at work in the woods in Burnett county.
In the spring of 1862 he went to work on the drive for Canute Anderson, and then worked for a time at Taylor’s Falls again. When he found his people were coming, he collected all due him and went to La Crosse to meet them, remaining to do some work that came in his way, and then brought them to Burnett county. Here he took up 160 acres of land in Sections 26, 38 and 19, all of it being still wild. Erecting a log cabin in which he lived for twenty-six years, he cleared and improved the land and sold the place to advantage in 1888.
Mr. Thoreson then took a trip to look over farming land in other states, visiting Washington, Oregon and the Puget Sound territory, and bought a lot at Ballard, Wash., returning to Wisconsin two years later, in 1891 going to Red River, Minn. After several months here he went again to Burnett county and resided with his children for a time. In the spring of 1895 he married Mrs. Mary Forsmand, widow of John Erick Forsmand, formerly of Sweden, who came to Burnett county in 1870.
Mr. Thoreson had seven children born to his first marriage, namely: Oliver, living at Grantsburg, Wis.; Isabelle, wife of James H. Jenson, of Grantsburg; Theodore H., of Shell Lake, Wis.; Anna, wife of Sever Jensen, harbor master at Grantsburg; Tobias B., a barber who has settled in the Klondyke; Peter A., of Grantsburg. The eldest child, Hanna, died young. Mr. Thoreson gave his children every educational advantage possible and has always taken a deep interest in their welfare.
At the time of her second marriage Mrs. Thoreson had four children, namely: Alfred, a painter at Minneapolis; Emma, wife of Oscar Westman, of Pine City, Minn.; Eda, wife of John Holm, of Minneapolis; and Oscar, still living at home.
While Mr. Thoreson has made farming his principal business in life, he has been prominent in public affairs and has been chosen by his party to fill a number of town offices. He has been assessor, town treasurer, chairman of the town board, and for many years has been one of the school directors. In politics he has always been identified with the Republican party. He is a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church and a man who is honored and respected for his sterling traits of character.


Ole Thoreson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Ole Thoreson, a prosperous farmer of Grantsburg, Burnett Co., Wis., was born in Norway, Nov. 19, 1828, a son of Thore Ingebrigtson, of Aasen, Tromso Amt, and Hannah Olson, also of Norway. Thore Ingebrigtson was a farmer, and came with his sons and daughters to America, locating in Burnett county, Wis., where they took up 160 acres of land, and where both he and his wife died. They were consistent members of the Lutheran church and very worthy, good people. The father assisted in building the first church of his faith in Burnett county, and always helped to build roads, or in any way hasten the advance of civilization. He and his good wife reared seven children: Karen, wife of E.J. Tollofson, a farmer in Burnett county; Ole; Swen, a farmer in Burnett county, Wis.; Jorgine, wife to Oliver Olsen, mayor of Grantsburg; Iver, a farmer in Burnett county, Wis.; Ole A. Joresen, ex-judge and a farmer at Crookston, Minn.; Ingeborg, wife to A. Higdem, of Seattle, Wash. Two others died in infancy.
Ole Thoreson was educated in his native land and remained with his parents until he was thirty years of age, assisting on the farm. He also did considerable work as a lumberman, both in Norway and Wisconsin. When the family came to America in 1862, they took the trip on a sailing vessel, and seven weary weeks were consumed on the voyage. Finally they landed in Quebec, and from there came via St. Croix Falls to Burnett county, Wis., their destination. Ole Thoreson took up 160 acres of land in the woods, and in this great solitude he erected a log shanty in which he lived until he built his more pretentious residence later on. When he took up his home in this wilderness bears, deer and other wild animals were the nearest neighbors, and often replenished the family larder. Now all this is changed. The dense woods have been cleared, and eighty acres are placed in a fine state of cultivation, upon which Mr. Thoreson raises wheat, oats, hay, corn and potatoes, although he devotes the greater portion of his energies to his fine dairy. Mr. Thoreson has been very successful and owes his prosperity to his thrifty habits, untiring labor and good management.
In Norway in 1856 Mr. Thoreson married Anne Anderson, and the following children were born to them: Hannah, who married Jacob Hege and lives in Burnett county; Tollof, at home; Henry, at home; Caroline, who married L. Olson of Grantsburg. All of these children were educated at Grantsburg. Although a stanch Republican, Mr. Thoreson has never aspired to political honors. He, like his parents, is a member of the Lutheran church, and he is popular in it, as he is throughout the county, where he is well and widely known.


Hon. Simon Thoreson
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Hon. Simon Thoreson, member of the Lower house of the State Senate of Wisconsin, representing Grantsburg, is a leading merchant of that village, and is the proprietor of the “Big Store.” He is a native of Norway, where his birth occurred May 29, 1849, and he is a son of Thor, a farmer there.
The parents came to the United States in 1862, and first located at St. Croix Falls, later coming to Burnett county, it then being Polk county. They located two and one half miles southwest of where Grantsburg is now located, where there were but six or seven white families living in the section. Settling in the woods, the father erected a little log cabin on his 160 acres of land, and of this property he cleared about twenty acres. Although he never sought public office, he was a stanch Republican. He was a member of the Lutheran Church. Of the seven children born to the parents of Mr. Thoreson, three died in the old country. Those that came to America were: Andrew, deceased, was a hotel keeper, and ran a ferry across the river west of Grantsburg; Tobias is now farming the old homestead; Bessie, deceased, married John Hagen, of Grantsburg; and Simon.
Simon Thoreson received but little schooling, and as a boy was compelled to work very hard. He lived at home until twenty-three years old, when he engaged in lumbering and in working in the pinery, continuing in that work for about ten years. He then engaged in a general store business, about four miles south of Grantsburg, and also operated a threshing machine there for many years, owning the first one in Burnett county. Locating in Grantsburg, he formed a partnership with O. Oleson, under the firm name of Oleson & Thoreson, to whom Mr. Thoreson sold his interest three years later, and engaged in the business at his present location, “The Big Store,” where he has since continued. Mr. Thoreson was married to Isabelle Newgard, of Stillwater, Minn., and to this union have been born: Silas T., a bookkeeper in his father’s store; and Herman, attending High school at Grantsburg.
Mr. Thoreson is a stockholder in the Hickerson Roller Mills and in the Farmers’ Starch Company, and is vice president of the First Bank of Grantsburg. He owns two farms, aggregating 260 acres of land, and one of the first homes of Grantsburg, which he had remodeled and fitted with all modern conveniences and improvements. He is a Blue Lodge Mason, belonging to Lodge No. 244, Grantsburg, and a member of the Woodmen of the World. Religiously he is connected with the Lutheran Church. Mr. Thoreson has been school director for sixteen years, is a stanch Republican and is the present representative. He was postmaster of Grantsburg in 1898. He is an enterprising business man, a popular public official and an important factor in the religious and educational movements of the community. He is public spirited and progressive, and is one of Wisconsin’s representative men.


Andrew Volstead
Source: Superior Evening Telegram (18 Nov. 1933) Transcribed by Sandra Wright from the Wisconsin Historical Society website
It is not generally known that Andrew Volstead, father of the now defunct Volstead law, was at on time a resident of Wisconsin.  The Burnett County Journal had unearthed the fact that 45 years ago a dark-haired man, with black mustache, stepped off the Grantsburg branch train at the local station and asked to be directed to a hotel. Some bystander, of whom there were many in those days, pointed out the way to the Lumberman’s hotel; only hostler of its kind in town. Trudging along the plank walk, burdened with a large grip in each hand, the stranger reached the place. Settling the grips aside he registered, "Andrew Volstead, Grantsburg, Wis." He informed the landlord, William Rummery, that he was a lawyer and wished to make Grantsburg his future home. He was informed the only available room was a small one-story frame building, near the railroad tracks, that had been a saloon but had been vacant since local option had revoked its license. Taking his two grips, containing his library and personal effects, Volstead settled himself in the quarters, nailed an inch board to the wall as a shelf, placed thereon his Blackstone law practice and Gary’s probate laws, and installed a small table and two chairs to complete the furnishings of his office. He then hung out his shingle, “Andrew Volstead, Attorney-at-Law” and awaited business.
Though Grantsburg was politically dry there were a number of "blind pigs" whose operators were frequently hauled before the bar of justice. It fell to Volstead’s lot to defend these men; this he accomplished with good success. But he became dissatisfied with the limited amount of business here and after a few months pulled stakes for Granite Falls, Minn., where he resumed his practice The Journal says.



HOME

Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails