http://genealogytrails.com/wis/

Welcome to
Chippewa County Wisconsin
Biographies

Source: History Of Northern Wisconsin (1881)
unless otherwise noted

A-B, C, D-F, G-H, J-M, N-R, S, T-Z

Hiram S. Allen
CHIPPEWA FALLS
Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

The first permanent settler in Chippewa County, Wisconsin, and now one of the most venerable and venerated citizens of Chippewa Falls, is Hiram Storrs Allen, a native of the Green Mountain State. He was born in Chelsea, Orange County, New Hampshire, September 18, 1806, and has recently rounded up his threescore years and ten. He is the son of Sluman and Hannah (Storrs) Allen. His father, who was old enough to enter the military service before the close of the revolutionary war, was a distant relative of Gen. Ethan Allen. In early life he was a tanner and currier, and later, a farmer and miller. Hiram worked on the farm and operated a small saw-mill until he was twenty-six years of age, enjoying but very limited advantages in the common school during his boyhood.

In 1832 he turned his steps westward. He spent one year near Springfield, Illinois, another in the mines near Galena, and in 1834 plunged into the wilderness among the Chippewas, on the Red Cedar or Menomonee River, an affluent of the Chippewa River. There he purchased, of Street and Lockwood, the first sawmill erected on that stream, and engaged in the lumber trade and operated the Menomonee Mills until 1846, when he removed to Chippewa Falls. For thirty years he has been one of the leading lumbermen in the Chippewa valley, and has operated more or less in real estate. He also owns a flouring mill, and has been manufacturing flour as well as lumber during most of the time since he became a resident of Chippewa Falls. In the lumber department of his business he has usually been connected with other parties, and is now a member of the firm of A. E. Pound and Co., lessees of the Union Lumbering Company's saw-mill and river works. This firm has the largest mercantile store in Chippewa Falls.

In politics, Mr. Allen was formerly a whig, and since 1856 has voted the republican ticket, but has uniformly declined to hold office even in the municipality of the city.

By strict adherence to principle and attention to business he has gained a liberal competency, and has few cares.

Mr. Allen attends the services of the Presbyterian Church, but is not a member. He gives liberally for the support of the gospel and of all benevolent causes.

Mr. Allen was married in September 1838, and has had eleven children, seven of whom are now living. His wife, a Demarie, is of French descent.

Prior to the time when Mr. Allen located in the Chippewa valley, parties had been there cutting square timber and shingles, but, having left, he was at that time the only white man in the valley. Indians owned the land, but were peaceable and friendly.

In all the early enterprises and improvements in this part of Wisconsin he was a leader. He aided in building small steamboats to navigate the Chippewa River, in surveying and opening public roads to the Mississippi and prominent points in other directions, and in establishing stage and mail routes. Later he has taken part in other grand enterprises. The railway from Chippewa Falls to connect with the West Wisconsin road at Eau Claire, which was completed in 1874, is largely owing to his influence and capital.

The lumbermen of Wisconsin are the princely men of the commonwealth, and its noblest builders. The pioneers in particular were bold and persevering, and although they had their drawbacks by flood and fire they overcame all obstacles which dishearten men of less stamina, and finally have been rewarded with that success which invariably follows honest, persistent effort.
-----

H. S. Allen was born in Chelsea, Orange Co. Vt., Sept 18, 1806, living there until 1832.In May of that year, he removed to Petersburg, Ill. In 1833, he went to Galena and July 4 1834, he left there on a keel-boat and poled it all the way up to the mouth of the Menominee river, and went to logging in  Wisconsin; remained at Menominee and in the vicinity ,engaged in manufacturing lumber until 1846,When he came to Chippewa Falls and engaged in the same business, which he continued until the Fall of 1869; continued to do more or less lumbering until 1879.Mr.Allen entered the first land here, laid out the town, built the first grist-mill, first flouring-mill, opened the first farm in this vicinity, and has always been prominently Identified with various business interests of this place. For many years he carries on mercantile business in connection with his other enterprises. Mr. Allen was married in 1839, to Mary De Marie. They have four sons and to daughters.


Apmann, John D.

John D. Apmann came to Wisconsin in the Fall of 1865, located at Chippewa Falls, and commenced saloon and baker in partnership with Joseph Muckenhausen. They continued together, for two years; then he associated with Fred Marx, for one year; afterwards they engaged with "Simon Traeger," for one year; since than he has been alone. Born in Germany, 1833; came to America 1855,and farmed in Iowa and Minnesota; married at Chippewa Falls,Oct.4,1869 to Amelia Hering, born in Germany. They have two children Amelia P. and Carl F.


Ayres, Adeniram J.
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Renae Capitanio 

ADENIRAM J. AYRES is recognized as one of the leading farmers of Clifton township, Cass county. He was one of the earliest settlers of that region and has aided in the up building of the better interests and become thoroughly identified with the early history of that locality. He has a fine farm, and makes his home on section twenty-eight, where he is surrounded by every comfort of country life, and enjoys the highest esteem of his fellowmen.

Our subject was born at the foot of the Mansfield mountains, in Lamoille county, Vermont. May13, 1847, and was the third in a family of thirteen children, born to Jasper and Malissa (Green) Ayres. His father was born in Maine, and was a carpenter and farmer by occupation, and when a young man was a captain in the Vermont militia.

Mr. Ayres finished his education and grew to manhood in his native state, and after leaving school learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked in Vermont until 1869, and in the spring of that year started west. While traveling through Wisconsin he heard of the destruction by fire of the city of Chippewa Falls, and decided to go there, and upon his arrival began contracting and building, and was engaged in that business until he went to Dakota Territory, in 1879. He followed his business in the city about five years, and then decided to engage in farming, and accordingly filed claim to the northwest quarter of section 34, in Clifton township, which he still owns and where he lived about three years. He then removed to his present location in section 28 and his holdings now amount to one section of land.

Our subject was married, in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in September, 1870, to Miss Jennett Sillers. Mrs. Ayers was born in Nova Scotia July13, 1846, and was a daughter of William and Alexis (Corbitt) Sillers. Her father was a native of Nova Scotia and her mother of Scotland. One child, a son, has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Ayers, who bears the name of Morton J. Mr. Ayers is a member of the Brotherhood of American Yoemen. He has served as chairman of the township board for a number of years and is active in public affairs. Politically he is a Republican and is firm in his convictions.


Barnett, E. De F.

E. De F. Barnett cashier of Seymour's bank, a son of Joel Barnett, Chippewa Falls, came to Wisconsin with his parents in 1852. They located in St. Croix County, where he resided until 1871, when he came to Chippewa Falls. After coming here, he was for one year engaged in insurance business. He than entered the banking-house of D. E. Seymour, as book-keeper, which position he held until he was appointed cashier of the same institution, Aug 1, 1880.He was married in Chippewa Falls, May 27, 1875,to Marietta Rogers. She was born in Madison, Dane Co., Wis. They have one child -Ella Mary, born Oct 22, 1879. Mr. Barnett's parents still reside in St. Croix County.


Barnett, J. D.

J.D. Barnett came to Wisconsin in 1854. His father Joel Barnett, settled with his family in Kinnickkinnick, St. Croix Co., having previously lived at Cottage Grove, in Minnesota, for two years. In May ,1871, J. D came from St. Croix County to Chippewa Falls; opened and insurance office here; conducted that  business for one year, then became cashier of D. E. Seymour's bank; remained in that position until August, 1880,when he became connected with the Mississippi Logging Company, taking charge of the buying and driving of logs at this point. He was born in Buffalo, N.Y., Jan 2, 1845; married at River Falls, Wis., Dec 13, 1871, to Mary daughter of Hon. B. C. Cox, an early settler of St. Croix County. She is a native of Ohio. They have three children - Charles Dwight, Margaret Adelle and Mary Amelia. Mr. Barnett was city Assessor, one year. He is a member of the A.F. & A.M. Blue Lodge Chapter and Commandery. Aug 22, 1864, he enlisted in Co. A. 44th Wis. V.I.; served in the Army of the Cumberland, until he was mustered out July 4,1865.


William B. Bartlett
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 542; transcribed by Mary Saggio

WILLIAM B. BARTLETT (Rep.), of Chippewa Falls, was born in Dorset, Vermont, October 8, 1830; received a common school education; is a farmer by occupation; removed to Ohio from Vermont in 1856, and thence, in 1861, to Chippewa county, Wisconsin, his present home; was chairman of county board in 1868 and ’77; town treasurer in 1869 and ’70; county commissioner in ’77, ’78 and ’79, and has also held other local positions; was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 1,093 votes against 812 for J. A. Taylor, democrat, and 195 for Henry Cramer, greenbacker.


Thomas W. Bartingale
Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) page 477; transcribed by FoFG mz

THOMAS W. BARTINGALE (Rep.) was returned to the assembly in 1918 after an absence of four years. He was born in Ely, England, June 24, 1851, came to Wisconsin as a youth and was educated in the common schools of Chippewa and Eau Claire counties. From 1875 he followed lumbering as long as the pine lasted, did common labor and mechanical work and then farming, but has since retired. He is an organizer for the American Society of Equity and prominent in its work in the state. He was elected to the assembly in 1913 and in 1918 had no opposition in the general election.


Bate, Andrew J.

Andrew J. Bate with the Chippewa Lumber & Boom Company, was born in Cambridge, Mass., Feb 27,1842; lived in Massachusetts until he came to Madison, Wis., in 1868; remained there about six months, then came to Chippewa Falls. He was employed as book-keeper and salesman in mercantile business for about five years; was a member of the police force for three years, Chief of police a portion of the time. Since the spring of 1880, he has been employed in the office of the Chippewa Lumber & Boom Company. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Co. I 3d Mass V.I.; served three months in that regiment, and re-enlisted in Co. C, 20th Mass, V.I, and served until December, 1864. After leaving the Army, he returned to Massachusetts, and remained there until he came to Wisconsin. He was married in Chippewa Falls, Jan., 1870, to Florence B., daughter of Charles B. and Theresa A. ( Bell) Chapman. She was born in Toronto, Canada. They have one son Charles Coleman. 


Cesaire Beaudin
Contributed by Clair Mercier.

Per Certificate of Baptism Cesaire Beaudin was baptized 3 March 1833 at St. Constant, Laprairie, Quebec, Canada. His godparents were Noel Poupart and Felicite Verner. His birth date on his tombstone reads 4 March 1831. Ceasar is buried at St. Rose Of Lima Catholic Cemetery, Cadott, Chippewa, Wisconsin. His tombstone reads "Gone Home." Louise is buried at St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Boyd, Chippewa, Wisconsin.

Caesar Beaudin fought in the civil war (Union/Army) under General Ulysses S. Grant. Enlisted 20 October 1861 as a private in Company G of the 13th regiment of U.S. Inft. commanded by 1st Lieut William Griffin. Caesar was honorably discharged at Nashville, Tennessee 12 October 1864. He returned home sick and wounded. He was shot in the back, his hair had completely turned white and was unable to walk for 8 months, per Glen Beaudin, grandson to Caesar Beaudin, at his home in Cadott, Wisconsin, 2005. Caesar Beaudin applied for an invalid pension 27 May 1886. Application #574.724. Certificate #366.964. He was paid $18.00 per month for serving in the Civil War. In 1892 Louise applied for a widow's pension. Application #538.438. Certificate #354.038.

Cesaire Beaudin (34) and Louise St. Martin (21) were married by Reverend Benedict Smeddinck, at Notre Dame Catholic Church, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, 25 April 1868. Witnesses to the marriage were Abraham and Adeline Hebert (Book 1 Page 111). The couple had 8 children.

Caesar Boudin (Beaudin) and Louise Boudin (Beaudin) deeded property (1/4 acre) 18 August 1884, to the School Board of the Town of Sigel, Chippewa County, Wisconsin, for the sum of $10.00. The "Little Red School House" was to be built on the donated land, County D and Pike Lake Road. Derrick Toutant, Charles Poupart, Caesar Beaudin and Adolph Bernier built the first school house. Albert Mercier and Alex Blanchard built the addition including the belfry. Delvina Mercier and Marion Cox were former teachers of Pike Lake School. The Mercier and Beaudin children attended the "Little Red School House." In those days the school year was eight months long. The Beaudin family resided in towns or villages of Chippewa Falls, Colburn, Boyd, Edson and Sigel, Wisconsin. The "old" Beaudin home was moved by the Mercier family onto their property, it still exists today as part of a barn.


Louise St. Martin, nee Beaudin
Contributed by Clair Mercier.

Cesaire Beaudin (34) and Louise St. Martin (21) were married by Reverend Benedict Smeddinck, 25 April 1868 at Notre Dame Catholic Church, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Witnesses to the marriage were Abraham and Adeline Hebert (Book 1 Page 111). The couple had 8 children. It is stated on Louise St. Martin Beaudin's (Boudia) Record of Interment at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Boyd, Wisconsin, that she was born near Pike Lake, next to an Indian Reservation. An Indian camp was located in Anson, near the Yellow River. In 1866, smallpox killed many tribe members, the rest moved from the area. I was told by Glen and Lorraine Beaudin, that Louise was an Ojibwe Indian and that she made moccasins and caps out of leather. Louise and her family lived in a hut by an Indian settlement near Pike Lake Road. Lorraine told a story of how Louise walked five miles to carry her daughter, Matilda, home from visiting her aunt, Margaret McKay. Matilda was sick with pneumonia and later died that night, at 13 years of age. Louise is buried, next to her daughter, Matilda, at St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Boyd, Chippewa, Wisconsin. Lorraine said that Louise was a strong and dedicated mother.


Berg, Antoin

Antoin Berg contractor of lath-mill, Chippewa Lumber and Boom Company, Chippewa Falls, came to Wisconsin in 1869; located at Lafayette, Chippewa County., and was employed in a saw-mill there four years, then went to Badger's Mill, Wisconsin, running Lath-mill for six years; came to Chippewa Falls in 1880 and engaged in present business. Mill cuts from 110,000to 120,000 lath per day of twenty-two hours. Is also contractor of picket -mill of C.L. & B Co., which has a daily capacity of 2,000 to 3,000 pickets. He employs twenty-seven men in both mills. Was born In Norway, Aug.18, 1842; married there Sept. 5, 1869 to Margurite Olsen, a native of that country, who died in Chippewa Falls, My 12, 1880. Has three living children- Henry, Antoin and Ovidee, and two deceased. 


James M. Bingham
Hon. James Monroe Bingham
CHIPPEWA FALLS
Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

James Monroe Bingham, son of Horace J and Rachel (Howard) Bingham, was born in the town of Perry, Wyoming County, New York, February 3, 1828. His father, a well-to-do farmer, was a soldier in the War of 1812. James remained at home until his twentieth year, aiding his father, and received his education at the common schools and the Perry Center Academy. After leaving home he was engaged in teaching some twelve terms, and during that time continued his mathematical, classical and other studies. During the latter years of his teaching in New York State he was principal of the Perry Center Academy and the Leroy High School.

In the autumn of 1853 he removed to the West, and passed the following winter in Michigan, teaching, near Detroit. In the ensuing spring he proceeded to Chicago, and thence during the summer to Palmyra, Jefferson County, Wisconsin. While in Leroy he began the study of law with F. P. Bissell; afterward resumed the same in Chicago, and finally completed them at Palmyra. After being admitted to the bar in 1856 he began the practice of his profession at Palmyra, and continued there until 1871, when he removed to Chippewa Falls, and there still continues his practice in partnership with Mr. W. L. Pierce, under the firm name of Bingham and Pierce. Mr. Bingham stands at the head of the Chippewa county bar, and in the front ranks of the legal fraternity of the eleventh circuit.

He was a member of the general assembly of Wisconsin during the years 1863, 1864, 1870, 1871, and 1874, and was speaker in 1870. During all these sessions of the legislature he was a member of the judiciary committee, and chairman of the same in 1863 and 1869. These positions as speaker and as chairman of the most important committee indicate his standing in the lower house of the legislature.

In the summer of 1864 Mr. Bingham entered the military service as major of the 40th Infantry, a hundred-days regiment, and was stationed at or near Memphis.

He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and has been high priest of the chapter at Chippewa Falls since its organization.

In politics he has always been a republican, and, as his history indicates, has been a favorite of the party.

In religious sentiment he is a Congregationalist, and is a trustee of the Presbyterian society, there being no Congregational organization in the place.

Mrs. Bingham is a daughter of the late Dr. W. C. Dwight, of Moscow, New York. She has three children. She is a woman of culture and refinement, and is active and benevolent in all charitable measures.

Mr. Bingham stands high both as a court and jury, lawyer. He is thoroughly posted on legal questions, and polished both in manners and language. He speaks slowly, sometimes wittily, more often eloquently, and all his sentences exhibit the training of a scholar and a complete mastery of the English language.
-------

Hon. J. M. Bingham lawyer, came to Palmyra in the Summer of 1854, and lived there until 1871, when he came to Chippewa Falls. He commenced the practice of law in 1856, and has continued it ever since. He married Dec. 31, 1856, in Lester, Livingston Co., N.Y., to a native of that place - Justina M. Dwight, a daughter of Dr. William C. Dwight, of Moscow, N.Y. They have three children- Clifford Dwight, Walter Percy and Cathrine Isabella. During Mr. Bingham's residence in Wisconsin, he has been prominently identified with local and State affairs. At the present time (1881) he is Lieutenant- Governor of the State. His abilities are high order, known to be a man of unquestioned integrity, and capable of filling the responsible positions of his country with honor and credit. 

Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill

LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR.
JAMES M. BINGHAM, of Chippewa Falls, was born in Perry, Wyoming county, New York, February 3, 1828; received an academic education; is by profession a lawyer; he came to Wisconsin in 1854, and settled at Palmyra, and thence removed to Chippewa Falls in 1870; was a member of the assembly in 1863, 1864, 1869, and 1870, and in the last year was chosen speaker of that body. Was a major of the 40th Wisconsin volunteer infantry during its term of service. He was elected lieutenant governor in 1877, as a Republican, receiving 77,926 votes, against 71,656 for R. E. Davis, Liberal Democrat, and 25,745 for E. H. Benton, Greenbacker, and was re-elected in 1879, receiving 101,037 votes, against 74,437 for Geo. H. King, Democrat, and 12,976 for Wm. L. Utley, Greenbacker.

Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Sharon Witt.

JAMES M. BINGHAM, Chippewa Falls, was a native of Wyoming county, New York, and was born at Perry, February 3, 1828. His father being a farmer, James spent the greater portion of his early life in the capacity of a farm laborer, with such intermission as his attendance at the common in connection with an academy school necessitated. When he had reached his twentieth year he engaged in the occupation of teaching, pursuing at the same time studies in Latin, Greek, French and mathematics, corresponding with the course adopted in college. In this employment he continued some twelve years at the East, when in 1853 he came to the West and resumed the same occupation near Detroit.

Choosing law for a profession, he commenced its study in the office of F. P. Bissel, at Leroy, New York, and continued the same for two years, and after his removal to Wisconsin continued the study two years longer at Palmyra.

Having thus prepared himself for entering the ranks of the profession, he was admitted to the bar in 1856, and commenced practice at Palmyra, where he remained until he removed to Chippewa Falls in 1870. At the latter place he entered into partnership with J. J. Jenkins, and the firm of Bingham & Jenkins continued until 1876, when Judge Jenkins having accepted the appointment of United States attorney for the territory of Wyoming, H. H. Pierce became his partner and the firm is now Bingham & Pierce. The legal business of this well known firm consists chiefly in first class cases.

In the year 1864 Mr. Bingham obeyed the call of his country and enlisted as major of the Fortieth Infantry and went to the war.

He has also done good service to the state as a member of the general assembly of Wisconsin. He represented his district during five sessions of the legislature, during the years 1863, 1864, 1870, 1871 and 1874. He has served as a member of the judiciary committee during each of these years, and was once its chairman. For the session of 1870 he was speaker of the house, which position he occupied with much credit.

In politics he is closely identified with the republican party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is now high priest of the chapter at Chippewa Falls, and has served in that capacity several years.

At the state election of 1877 Major Bingham was chosen lieutenant-governor, after having been nominated against his expressed wishes, and was reelected to the same office in 1879, and presides over the deliberations of the senate with dignity, impartiality and ability.


Bergevin, Peter

Peter Bergevin City Treasurer came to Wisconsin, May 3, 1866; located in this place and was engaged in clerking in the mercantile business up to 1874, was elected City Treasurer in that year; re-elected in 1875; than up to 1880, was employed in lumbering on his own account. Was re-elected City Treasurer, April 6, 1881. Born in Canada, April 14, 1840; came to America 1865; was in Minnesota for one year. Married in Chippewa Falls, April 19, 1869, to Celind Billiard; born in  Upper Canada. They have four children - Frank, Orelia, Albina and Edward; two deceased. 


Bibeau, Barnard

Barnard Bibeau, salon, Chippewa Falls, came to Wisconsin in 1867; located  at La Crosse; was employed at lumbering two years; came to Chippewa Falls in 1869, and worked in the woods five years. He commenced present business March 13, 1878; was born in Canada, Jan. 30, 1849, and previous to coming to Wisconsin was engaged at farming there. 


Blair, David

David Blair, proprietor "Eagle Point", salon came to Wisconsin in 1867; located at Chippewa Falls, and was engaged for thirteen years in saw-mill, rafting, farming, etc. Commenced present business April 1, 1881. Born in Quebec, Canada, July 22, 1853; came to the United States in 1867. Married at Chippewa Falls, Oct. 6, 1877, to Anna Myrtle, who was born in Canada. They have one child, aged two and a half years.


Blake, James A.

James A. Blake, filer Chippewa Lumber and Crane Company Chippewa Falls, came to Wisconsin in 1865; located at La Crosse, where he was in business with Martin Jefferson for a year, and in the woods for six months. Than went to the pineries on Black River for seven months, and was rafting on that river for a short time; went to Eau Claire in 1868; was employed two months in saw-mill; engaged  building a damn on river near Alma, and rafting. Then went to Eau Claire in mills, sawing, and filing for twelve years. Came to Chippewa Falls in May, 1881, and engaged in a present capacity. Born in West Virginia, Oct. 5, 1845; enlisted in 1863, in 3d W.Va. C., and served until the close of the war, principally under Gen. Sheridan. Married at Eau Claire, July 4, 1871 to Jennie Hill, who was born at Milltown, Me. They have Four Children- Marietta E., Annie E., Edna M., and Anna M.


Boucher, Amede

Amede Boucher proprietor Woodman's Home (hotel) Chippewa Falls, came to Wisconsin in 1874; located at Chippewa Falls; employed in woods for some years, and four years as a foreman of logging camp. Commenced present business June 23, 1881. Was born in Canada in December, 1849; came to the United States in 1868, and was employed in various capacities in the State of Vermont. Married in Chippewa Falls, May 5, 1881, to Mary Hebert, a native of that place. 


Bonville, Frank

Frank Bonville lumbering and farming came to Wisconsin in 1854; located at this place and engaged in the lumbering business, and also farming; owns to farms in Chippewa County, comprising 340 acres, 185 improved. Born in Canada in 1828; employed in farming and in woods some years; came to the United States in 1851; lived in the State of Maine for three years, and was employed in various capacities. Married in Quebec, Canada, in July, 1858, to Mary Blair. They have five children - Mary Milleny, Louisa, Joseph, and Frank.


Boutelle, W. A.

W. A. Boutelle, millinery, fancy goods, and dress making, Chippewa Falls, came to Wisconsin in March 1877, and located at this place, engaging in present business; was born in Canada in 1836; came to the United States in 1856; was in Manchester, New Hampshire, clerking for two years; was in Vermont for four years; was in business as blacksmith in California four years; then went to Vermont 1868, in fancy goods and millinery business up to June 1876; married at Montpelier, Vermont 1860; wife deceased. They had one child Hattie; married again in Fall of 1869, to Selina Philbrook, born Vermont; had two children - Gertrude and Alice.


Benjamin F. Brainerd
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.

Benjamin F. Brainerd, postmaster at Murry, Wis., is one of the few remaining pioneer settlers of Chippewa and Rusk counties, having made his advent into Chippewa Falls in April, 1857.

Mr. Brainerd was born Dec. 16, 1835, in Franklin county, Maine, son of William Brainerd. His education was obtained in the district schools, and he remained in Franklin county until 1855, when he went west to Minnesota, going by way of Chicago and Dubuque, at which time the latter place was the remotest western railroad point. The country was unsettled between Dubuque and St. Paul and Minneapolis, the latter magnificent city then being but a small village. He remained one year in St. Paul, and then went to lumbering in the woods on the west shores of Rum river, for a year. In 1857 he settled in Chippewa county, Wis., fourteen miles north of Chippewa Falls, which place was then composed of a few cabins and a sawmill, the latter being under the operation of H.S. Allen, the pioneer settler. There was one small store in the place which was managed by Fred Bussey and James A. Taylor, but no postoffice, the mail being sent on boats from Reed’s Landing.

Mr. Brainerd pre-empted 220 acres of land, upon which he built a cabin out of poplar logs, paying five dollars a day for a team to do the hauling from Eau Claire. He was accompanied by his brother James, who also pre-empted land, and the settlers were William Taylor, Thomas Cunningham and Alexander Boyer, the latter having settled there in the previous year. The locality was a prairie of considerable extent, and was known as Bloomer prairie. A few settlers had located on Eagle Prairie, this being the first settlement in Chippewa county.

Mr. Brainerd made his place his permanent home, residing on it until the breaking out of the Civil War, when, in 1863, he enlisted in Company G, 21st Wis. V.I., and his service continued until the close of the war. His regiment was a part of the army of General Sherman, and his company joined the same at Chattanooga, later participating in all of the battles of the subsequent campaign leading to Atlanta. Mr. Brainerd belonged to that valiant band which survived fire for 100 days, and he took part in all the engagements around Atlanta. His regiment was a part of the victorious army that reached the Sea, and he was also at Jonesboro Station, in the battles of Bentonville and Averysboro, and he marched on to Washington for the memorable Grand Review, and was honorably discharged at Madison in 1865. During this long term of service, Mr. Brainerd had many narrow escapes; on one occasion, at Kenesaw Mountain, his tent was shot from over him and carried entirely away. He however, escaped serious injury, although many months went by before he had entirely recovered from the strain of exposure and long marching.

Returning to Chippewa county, he resumed farming on his own property until twenty-three years ago, when he moved to what is now known as Oak Grove, where he opened a store, kept a hotel, was appointed postmaster, and was the leading man of affairs in this locality; but thirteen years ago he came to Murry. While living in Chippewa county he served in a number of official positions, was postmaster of Emmet, town clerk, treasurer and county chairman. He served as postmaster for twenty-two consecutive terms before coming to Murry, where he has also officiated. Since coming here, Mr. Brainerd has carried on extensive farming and large operations in stockraising and lumbering. He is conducting a hostelry also, on the Chippewa river, some twelve miles north of Bruce.

Mr. Brainerd has always voted with the Republican party, and cast his first presidential vote for Gen. John C. Fremont in 1856. He has always been prominent in party affairs, and has many times been a delegate to the conventions. While residing at Oak Grove he was chairman in the town of Big Bend, which included all the country in Rusk county west of the Chippewa river, and he served also as township clerk and treasurer.

In September, 1865, Mr. Brainerd was married to Miss Josephine Lane, and they have had a family of ten children. Mrs. Brainerd is a lady of great executive ability and has been very prominent in the work of the Woman’s Relief Corps. Fraternally Mr. Brainerd has membership in E.A. Coburn Post, No. 62, G.A.R. He has a wide acquaintance with the people of Chippewa and Rusk counties, for forty-seven years being prominently identified with the social and business interests of the Chippewa Valley country.


Bronsky, J. C.

J. C. Bronsky, merchant, Chippewa Falls, was born in Bohemia, July 25, 1851; came with his parents to America, in 1852; lived in Racine, Wisconsin, one year then went to Winona, Minnesota, until 1871, then he  came to Portage, Wisconsin; resided there until 1873, then came to Chippewa Falls, engaged in mercantile business ever since he came here-first seven years, in partnership with W. T. Dalton; since then alone in the business. He was married in Chippewa Falls, in April, 1877, to Anna W. Cummings, daughter of M. J. Cummings, of this place. She was born at Fox Lake , Dodge County, Wisconsin. They have three children - Lucy Mary, John Joseph, and Amelia Mary. Mr. Bronsky is a member of the St. Joseph's Benevolent Society. 


Bruce, Alanson C.

Alanson C. Bruce, dealer in the pine lands, Chippewa Falls, was born in the town of Newark, Caledonia County, Vermont, June 28, 1847. When he was thirteen years old, he went to the town of Industry, Franklin County , Maine. That was his home until he came to Eau Claire, Wisconsin, in 1870. Lived there until the Fall of 1876, when he came to Chippewa Falls. He has been engaged in dealing in pine lands ever since he came to Wisconsin, and for about some time also interested in logging operations. He was married in Eau Claire, April 13, 1873, to Mary E. Manter. She was born New Vineyard, Franklin County, Maine.


Daniel Buchanan Jr.

Daniel Buchanan Jr. lawyer, Chippewa Falls, was born  in Ft. Winnebago, Columbia County, Wisconsin, July 11, 1851, and lived there until 1860, when he moved to Fox Lake, Dodge County Wisconsin, where he resided until 1865, when he went to Rio, Columbia County, and in April, 1873 came from there to Eau Claire, and in March, 1877, from the latter place to Chippewa Falls. He attended Wisconsin University for two years, graduating from the law department of that institution, and was admitted to the Bar in June 1872. He taught school during the winter of 1872-73, and commenced practice with Barlett & Hayden, of Eau Claire, continuing with them for four years. He has been in practice for over eight years.

The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark

Daniel Buchanan, Jr., Chippewa Falls, was horn at Fort Winnebago, Wisconsin, July 11, 1851. He was educated at the State University; graduated from the law department of that institution, June 14, 1872, and at the same time was admitted to the bar by the supreme court at Madison. Subsequently he was with Bartlett & Hayden, Eau Claire, four years, from April, 1873, to March. 1877, at which time he removed to Chippewa Falls, where he has continued practice without a partner.


Buzzell, Frank M.

Frank M. Buzzell, merchant, Chippewa Falls, was born in the town of Shalerville, Ohio, September 30, 1844; came to Wisconsin in 1846; located in what is now known as Green Lake County, (then Marquette County); lived there until 1865; then came to Chippewa Falls; engaged in farming in the town of Eagle Point, until 1877. In the Fall of 1879, he engaged in the mercantile business, in partnership with F. M. Clough, and they still continue together. July 20, 1867, he was married in Chippewa Falls, to Thurza, daughter of Charles B. Coleman. She was born in the state of New York. They have three children- Eva, Ada, and infant son.

                            back to index                             src=
 
genealogytrails.com/
All data on this website is © Copyright  by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.