The county was
organized December 29,1854. George P. Warren was Chairman of the Board
of Supervisors; Stephen S. McCann
the other supervisor; Samuel H. Allison, Clerk.
The first business transacted
appointment of E. A. Galloway, J. M. Baxter and John C. Flannegan to locate
a road to the capitol of Dunn County.
Randall was appointed superintendent of its construction.
It was voted to lay out the road
the mouth of Clear Water River. William Wiley, Piere Riess and Jesse S.
Gage, were chosen as commissioners, and J. E.
Randall, Superintendent. A petition for a road via Duncun's Mill to Bloomer was
deemed improper and rejected. The road authorized
Eau Claire (Clear Water) via French town and the Blue Mill was, after
mature deliberation, declared "highly injudicious and
James Ermatinger, Henry
Daniel McCann were appointed to lay out the road to Vermilion Falls. Ermatinger was made
next meeting was February 1, 1855. James Reed, who had been elected
Supervisor, having refused to serve Elias W. Galloway was appointed to
fill the place. Moses Reevis, who, it seems has been elected
constable, declined the honor, as also did William Riley, as Justice of
the Peace. William J. Young was authorized to procure copies of the
United States Survey field notes in relation to the county. The
resolve in relation to the Duncun's Creek road was subsequently
reconsiderated. At a meeting on February 16, the Board provided a
court-room in the second story of H. S. Allen's carpenter shop. On motion
of S.S. McCann, James Reed was fined $10 for refusing at act as
The outline of every town is
irregular, and some of them fifty miles in the longest extent. They
contain much more territory then the township of Government survey
The names of several towns are;
Anson, Auburn, Bloomer, Big Bend, Flambeau, Eagle
Point, Edson, LaFayette, Sigel and Wheaton. The county has for neighbors-on
the north, Ashland; on the east, Price Taylor and Clark; on the south Eau
Claire; on the west Dunn Barron And Burnett.
The growth of the county has
follows: 1850, population
615; 1855, 838; 1860, 1,895; 1865, 8,278; Sigel, 849; Wheaton, 1,287. Total 15,987.
There are 1,794 more males then
females in the county. Of the whole numbers 10,048 are natives and 196