Arthur P. Parent
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917), page 480; submitted by Mary Saggio]
ARTHUR P. PARENT, the popular hotel keeper of Egg Harbor, was born December 16, 1880, on a farm two miles south of Egg Harbor. He was the second child of Peter P. and Virginia (Baraboo) Parent, well known and respected farmers of the town of Egg Harbor. Peter P. Parent was born in Canada, but came to Egg Harbor when this town was a wilderness and helped to make it the beautiful farming country it now is. Arthur P. Parent, although still a young man, is counted among the most prosperous in the town. This prosperity he has achieved by no favors of fortune or gifts of others but by his own industry and good management. Concord Hotel, of which he is the sole owner, is one of the most popular hotels in the county. He is also owner of two farms and half owner in two others. He is also extensively engaged in winter time lumbering and logging in company with Thomas F. Carmody. Mr. Parent is a democrat in his political leanings but has never sought office being too busy in the management of his own affairs to try and run those of others. He was married June 15, 1904, to Miss Margaret M. Carmody, daughter of John W. Carmody, who was one of the very first settlers in the county, coming to Egg Harbor in 1857. To this marriage three children were born: Adel, born April 3, 1905; Grace, born August 29, 1906; and Margaret, born February 22, 1908. Little Grace lost her life in an automobile accident. Mrs. Parent died March 14, 1908, leaving three small children to the father’s care. On June 21, 1910, Mr. Parent was married again, his second wife being Olive La Fontaine, whose father, Ezra La Fontaine, came from Canada and settled in the town of Egg Harbor in 1873. Three children have been born to this marriage. These are: Evelyn, born March 10, 1912; Leon, born May 9, 1913; and Helen, born January 28, 1915. Mr. and Mrs. Parent are members of the Catholic church at Egg Harbor.
John P. Paulsen
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917), pages 384-385; submitted by Mary Saggio]
JOHN P. PAULSEN, proprietor of the West Harbor Hotel for the past fifteen years, has in that connection built up a profitable business. His birth occurred October 24, 1852, in Christiania, Norway, and he is a son of Ole and Martha Paulsen. The father passed away in his native country on the 11th of August, 1863, and in 1883 the mother and her daughter Fannie emigrated to the United States and took up their home on Washington Island, Door county, Wisconsin, where Mrs. Paulsen passed away February 16, 1894. She had three children: John P.; Fannie, now Mrs. Ole Hagen and still a resident of the island; and Charles Martin, of Detroit Harbor. The boyhood and youth of John P. Paulsen were spent in his native country and when only fourteen years old he became a sailor. In 1869 he landed at Galveston, Texas, and from that time he has resided in the United States. In 1879 he located in Chicago, where he was employed by a wholesale house until 1891, when he received an appointment as a letter carrier, and for twenty-three years he worked in that capacity, but in 1914 resigned his position and took up his residence upon the forty-five acres of shore land at West Harbor, Wisconsin, which he had purchased in 1900. He first came to Washington Island in 1884 while on his vacation and was so pleased with the place that he returned every summer until he took up his permanent abode here. When he purchased the property which he owns there was an old sawmill located thereon and a boarding house for the mill hands. He has since remodeled the latter and made it into a modern and attractive hotel and he receives a good share of the resort custom. He knows the things that most appeal to the people who come here for their annual outings and spares neither time nor expense in meeting their requirements. On the 30th of November, 1882, Mr. Paulsen was united in marriage to Miss Mathilda Hendricksen, of Chicago, who, however, was born in Christiania. It was in 1871 that she came to America in company with her parents, John and Caroline Hendricksen. Her father learned the decorator’s trade in Norway and was employed in that capacity by Field & Leiter, of Chicago. Mrs. Paulsen received her education in the schools of that city and remained at home until her marriage. Mr. Paulsen is independent in politics, casting his ballot for the man whom he deems best fitted for the office without regard to his political affiliation. He is now serving as town clerk, in which capacity he is making an excellent record. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias and in religious faith is a Norwegian Lutheran.
Frank C. Payne
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 102-103; submitted by Mary Saggio]
FRANK C. PAYNE, a chiropractor practicing in Sturgeon Bay, was born in Sauk county, Wisconsin, December 19, 1868, and is a son of Leonard W. and Susan M. (Church) Payne, who were natives of New York and were of English descent. The father was a farmer by occupation and at the close of the Civil war removed westward, taking up his abode in Sauk county. For nearly four years he had served in defense of the Union, enlisting as a member of Company K, Twenty-Third New York Volunteer Infantry. His military record was a creditable one, for he had been prompt, fearless and loyal in the discharge of his duties. With his removal to this state he began farming and afterward he removed to Minnesota, where he took up a homestead claim but his crops were destroyed by grasshoppers and he returned to Wisconsin, purchasing land in Eau Claire county. This he continued to cultivate throughout his remaining days, his death occurring in 1882, in which year his wife also passed away. The boyhood and youth of Frank C. Payne were largely passed in Sauk county and its public schools furnished him his educational privileges. He was still in his boyhood when his father died and he was reared by an uncle in Sauk county, remaining with him until he attained his majority. He then began teaching school in Price county, Wisconsin, where he remained for two years. Later he spent a year as a student in normal school and in 1894 he engaged in the drug business, while subsequently he followed merchandising in Michigan and in Wisconsin for several years. In 1911, however, he turned his attention to chiropratic and in 1913 came to Sturgeon Bay where he opened an office and has ever since followed his profession. He is the only chiropractor in this city and he enjoys a large practice, doing splendid work in bringing about the normal conditions that result in health. Dr. Payne was married to Miss Anna M. Dier on the 31st of July, 1896. Her parents, Adam and Catherine (Melchor) Dier, were natives of Lorraine. Her father came to America about 1857 and settled in Kewaunee county, Wisconsin, where he followed farming until his life labors were ended in death in May, 1891. His widow still resides on the old home place. Mr. Payne has been a member of the Knights of Pythias Lodge for twenty-six years. His political support is given to the republican party, but he has never been an office seeker, although never remiss in the duties of citizenship. His wife is a member of the Catholic church. Dr. Payne belongs to the Wisconsin Chiropractic Association of which he is treasurer and his interest centers in his profession with the strong desire to aid his fellowmen.
John M. Perry
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 250-251; submitted by Mary Saggio]
JOHN M. PERRY, one of the representative citizens and prominent business men of Sturgeon Bay, is a native of Door county, his birth occurring in Forestville, September 28, 1877. His father, Matthew Perry, was born in Kilboy Abbey, County Tipperary, Ireland, in July, 1836, but during boyhood went to Liverpool, England, in company with his younger brother Richard and after spending a few months in that city sailed for Toronto, Canada, being fifty-seven days upon the water. For two years they were employed as farm hands in the vicinity of Buffalo, New York, and in the spring of 1855 took passage on the steamer Lady Elgin for Chicago. While on this trip they met Major McCormick, one of the first settlers of Algoma, Wisconsin, who told them of the favorable prospects up Wolf river and persuaded them to come to Forestville. The following year they were joined by their brothers, Samuel and John Perry, who later became prominent business men of Algoma. When Matthew Perry landed at Wolf River, now Algoma, there was only a trail to Forestville and no path whatever existed between Forestville and Sturgeon Bay. He and his brother Richard cleared a small patch of land, on which they raised the first potatoes grown in Door county. They built a house upon their land and continued with the improvement and cultivation of their place until the country became involved in civil war, when both enlisted in Company E, Fourteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Hardly had the smoke from Fort Sumter's guns cleared away when Matthew Perry offered his services to his adopted country, enlisting on the 15th of April, 1861, and at the end of his term reenlisted, remaining in the service for four years and two days, as he was mustered out April 17, 1865. With the Army of the Tennessee he took part in the battles of Shiloh, Iuka, Corinth, Raymond, Champion's Hill, Black River Bridge, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Ezra Church, Lovejoy Station and Bentonville, and was with General Sherman on the memorable march to the sea. He also did provost duty at Mobile, Alabama, and was in the Grand Review at Washington, D. C. After the close of the war Mr. Perry returned to his farm in Forestville township, this county, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1907, when he sold his place and removed to the village of Forestville, which continued to be his home until his death, which occurred December 5, 1915.
In 1867 occurred the marriage of Matthew Perry and Miss Henriette Machinsky, whose father was one of the pioneer settlers of Kewaunee county, Wisconsin. She died on the 12th of March, 1885. The children of the family still living are Samuel and Matthew, business men of Forestville; Edward, portmaster of Forestville; Mrs. Michael Writt, of Forestville township, Miss Elizabeth, of Forestville; and John M., of this review. All of the sons were given good business educations.
John M. Perry attended the public schools of Forestville and took a business course at Green Bay. He began his business career as, a clerk in the store of the L. M. Washburn Company, where he remained for seven years, and the following four years were spent upon the road as a traveling salesman for M. M. Stanton Company of Detroit, Michigan. In March, 1911, he opened an office in Sturgeon Bay and has since engaged in the real estate, insurance and loan business at that place, handling both city and farm property. In 1906 he and his brother Matthew started a clothing and men's furnishing store in Sawyer, but in 1910 moved the business to Forestville, where it is now under the management of the brother, though our subject still owns a half interest in the enterprise. He is also interested in a hardware and furniture establishment at that place, founded in 1905 by himself and brothers Samuel and Edward and is interested in fruit growing in Door county. He is a very enterprising, wide-awake business man and usually carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes.
On the 22d of October, 1902, Mr. Perry married Miss Alice Damkoehler, of Sturgeon Bay, a daughter of Walter L. and Sarah (Gillispie) Damkoehler. Her father was a pioneer farmer of Sevastopol township. Door county. Mr. and Mrs. Perry have four children, namely: Dorothy Alice, Walter Matthew, John William and Edward Lewis. The family attend the Congregational church and Mr. Perry is identified with the Knights of Pythias fraternity. His political support is given to the republican party but he takes no active part in public affairs aside from voting as his extensive business interests claim his undivided attention. Success has attended his well directed efforts and he is today one of the substantial citizens of Sturgeon Bay.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 333-334; submitted by Mary Saggio]
THE PERRY COMPANY, hardware dealers, of Forestville, of which Samuel Perry is the president, has built up the largest trade in its line in Door county and has been a factor of no small importance in the development of the commercial interests of Door county. Mr. Perry was born July 27, 1869, and is a son of Mathew and Henrietta (Machinskey) Perry. The father was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, and remained there until he was fifteen years old, when in 1854, in company with his brother Richard M., he set sail for the United States. The ship on which they made the voyage was an old sailing vessel which sprung a leak in a big storm and in order to keep the boat afloat all the passengers had to help at the pumps. At length, twelve weeks after they embarked, the brothers landed in the United States and located near Niagara Falls, New York. A little later they took passage on a boat, named the Lady Elgin, which was bound for Chicago. They got as far as Manitowoc and on investigating conditions in this part of Wisconsin, which was then just being settled, they decided to cast in their lot with this section. Mr. Perry, of this review, came to Forestville township, Door county, by way of Wolf river and took up eighty acres of government land. At that time all farm produce had to be marketed in Manitowoc and the only means of communication was by boat as there were then no roads through the woods. The Indians were still more numerous than the white men and the few settlers in Door county lived many miles apart. Farm work was done with primitive appliances, the flail being used in threshing. Mr. Perry sold his first farm to Charles B. Miller and bought one hundred and sixty acres on section 22. He cleared one hundred acres of this tract and for many years his time was occupied by the operation of his farm. In 1910, however, he retired and the later years of his life were spent at the homes of his son Edward M. and of his daughter Elizabeth. His religious faith was that of the Episcopal church and in politics he was a strong republican. Throughout life he manifested a strong spirit of patriotism and at the time ofthe Civil war he enlisted in the Union army, becoming a member of Company E, Fourteenth Wisconsin Infantry, in 1861. He had the privilege of serving under both Generals Grant and Sherman and took part in the battle of Shiloh, thesiege of Vicksburg and the battle of Atlanta and marched with Sherman to the sea. He was a fifer and remained at the front during the entire period of the war. He had a wide acquaintance in Door county and he lived to see it develop into a splendid agricultural section. His death, which occurred December 5, 1915, was deeply regretted. He had long survived his wife, who died at the early age of thirty-eight years in March, 1885. She was born in Germany and accompanied her parents to the new world, the family home being first established in Kewaunee county, Wisconsin. Later removal was made to Forestville township, Door county, where the father purchased eighty acres of land and there both he and his wife died. To Mr. and Mrs. Perry were born the following children: Samuel; Mathew, who is the owner of a clothing store in Forestville; Henrietta, the wife of Michael Writt, who resides in Forestville township; John M., a resident of Sturgeon Bay; Edward M., postmaster at Forestville; Elizabeth, a resident of Sturgeon Bay; Thomas, who died in 1894, when fourteen years old; and William, who was born in 1884 and died at the age of seven months.
Samuel Perry passed his boyhood upon the home farm and remembers the log cabin that was the first residence of the family. He received his education in the schools of Forestville and Algoma, and his business experience was received as bookkeeper for the Ahnapee Furniture Company at Algoma. Following his marriage he returned to the home farm, which he aided his father in operating for three years, and subsequently for two and one half years he was rural mail carrier. In 1905, however, he established his present business, which in 1916 was incorporated under the name of the Perry Company. They carry a large and well selected stock of shelf and heavy hardware and their business ability is evidenced from the fact that the company is the leading hardware concern in the county.
Mr. Perry was married in 1898 to Miss Imogene Heald, who is a daughter of Eugene and Agnes (Hitt) Heald, natives respectively of New York and Wisconsin. The father became the owner of a good farm in Clay Banks township and there Mrs. Perry was born. By her marriage she has become the mother of four children: Thomas Milton, Marion, Evelyn and Clinton Samuel. Mr. Perry has not had time to take a very active part in public affairs but he has discharged to the full all his duties as a citizen. In politics he is a republican, and for eight years he served as town clerk. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and fraternally is connected with the Modern Woodmen and the Mystic Workers. He is not only one of the most reliable and most successful merchants of Forestville but is also connected with its financial interests as a director and secretary of the State Bank. His salient characteristics are such as invariably win respect and regard, and he is deservedly held in high esteem.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 259-260; submitted by Mary Saggio]
HARRY PETERSON. For thirty years Harry Peterson has been closely associated with farming interests of Baileys Harbor township and he is today one of the representative young agriculturists of his locality. He was born on the old home farm December 20, 1890, a son of Robert and Christine (Larson) Peterson. The father was born in Denmark, July 26, 1860, a son of Hans and Kirsten (Hemsdaughters) Peterson, who spent their entire lives in Denmark, where they were well known farming people. Robert Peterson was reared and educated in Denmark and after his textbooks were put aside worked in a sawmill there until he reached the age of twenty years, when he bade adieu to friends and native land and sailed for America. On reaching the shores of the new world he at once made his way across the country and took up his abode in Racine, Wisconsin, where he worked for one year as a farm hand. He then went to Dakota, where he was employed in the harvest fields through the summer months and in the lumber woods through the winter seasons. In 1887 he became a resident of Baileys Harbor township, Door county, and purchased a farm of one hundred and twenty acres which he cleared and developed. He erected thereon fine buildings and added many modern improvements, dividing his farm into fields of convenient size by well kept fences. Everything about the place indicates care and supervision, for he is most progressive in all that he undertakes.
In 1890 Robert Peterson was united in marriage to Miss Christine Larson, a daughter of Peter Larson and a native of Denmark. She came to the United States in 1889 and the following year was married. She has become the mother of five children, Harry, Millie, Louie, Robert and Eva.
Harry Peterson spent his boyhood days upon the old homestead farm in Baileys Harbor township and the public school system afforded him his educational privileges. The occupation to which he was reared he has made his life work, finding it an agreeable pursuit and one which returns to him a gratifying annual income. He now owns a fine farm and is surrounded by the evidences of affluence and also of good taste. In his farm work he is thoroughly reliable and energetic and is winning a very substantial measure of success.
In 1915 Harry Peterson was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Krause, a daughter of Emil Krause. Mrs. Peterson was born at Fish Creek, Wisconsin, while her parents were natives of Germany and were among the early settlers of Fish Creek, Door county. To Mr. and Mrs. Peterson has been born one child, Harold. The parents are well known in social circles and their own home is the abode of a warm-hearted hospitality which is greatly enjoyed by their many friends. Mr. Peterson has spent his entire life in Baileys Harbor township and that his record has ever been an honorable one is indicated in the fact many of his stanchest friends are those who have known him from his boyhood to the present time.
Herbert L. Peterson
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 8 -11; submitted by Mary Saggio]
HERBERT L. PETERSON, banker, merchant and prominent business man, connected with various important commercial and financial interests of Sturgeon Bay, was born on the 16th of May, 1876, in the city where he still resides, his parents being Peter and Mary (Mathews) Peterson. The father was born in Norway and was a son of Andrew Peterson, a native of Stavanger, Norway, whence he came to the United States with his family about 1842, establishing his home in the Empire state. There he resided until the early '50s, when he removed to Door county, Wisconsin, and became a resident of Sturgeon Bay. Here he engaged in business both as a farmer and ship carpenter. His son, Peter Peterson, was but a young lad when the family home was established here, so that he was reared amid the scenes and environments of pioneer life. Following the outbreak of the Civil war in 1861, he responded to the country's call for troops, becoming a member of Company H, Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry. He was wounded near Atlanta, Georgia, in 1863 and was sent home to die. He lived, however, but was a cripple throughout his remaining days. His death occurred in March, 1907, but his widow, who was born in De Pere, Wisconsin, still survives. Peter Peterson had always followed the occupation of farming and thus provided for the support of his family. He gave his political allegiance to the republican party and he maintained pleasant relations with his old army comrades through his membership in the Grand Army of the Republic. He also belonged to the Moravian church, of which Mrs. Peterson is still a member. She is a daughter of Martin Mathews, one of the pioneer settlers of Green Bay, Wisconsin. He was a native of Ireland and at the time of the Civil war joined the army and gave his life in defense of the Union.
Herbert L. Peterson was the fourth in order of birth in a family of twelve children. He acquired a public school education and started out in business life as clerk in a general store at Sturgeon Bay, a part of his duty being the driving of a delivery wagon. He thus began his initial experience along commercial lines and, prompted by a laudable ambition, he saved his earnings until his industry and economy had brought him sufficient capital to enable him to engage in business on his own account. About 1899 he opened a general store in Sawyer as one of the partners in the firm of E. N. Anderson & Company. Later he conducted business under his own name and afterward admitted Joseph Hoslett to a partnership, the firm being now Peterson & Hoslett. They still conduct a general merchandise establishment and the business has long since become a profitable one. Mr. Peterson entered the banking business in March, 1902, when the Bank of Sawyer was organized, of which he became vice president, and the following year he took active charge as cashier. In 1914 this bank was reorganized and removed to Sturgeon Bay, at which time the name was changed to the Door County State Bank, Mr. Peterson at that time assuming the presidency. This is now one of the leading and progressive financial institutions of the county, capitalized for fifty thousand dollars. About 1907 Mr. Peterson also became vice president of the Sturgeon Bay Stone Quarry and in 1911 was elected to the presidency. He is interested in several other important business enterprises of the county and is a contributing factor to the material progress and development of this section of the state. On the 8th of September, 1904, Mr. Peterson was united in marriage to Miss Martha I. Speigelberg, a daughter of Emil and Mary Speigelberg, the former a druggist, now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson have become the parents of two children: Blanche, twelve years of age; and Herbert L., who is but a year old.
Fraternally Mr. Peterson is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In politics he is a republican and for six years has served as chairman of the republican county central committee, taking an active interest in promoting the growth and ensuring the success of his party. He was also elected presidential elector in Wisconsin in 1908 when William Howard Taft was elected president. For six years he has lived on his farm near Sturgeon Bay, where he has an orchard of sixty-five acres. His has been an active and useful life, fraught with good results and crowned with successful accomplishment. Moreover, he belongs to that class of representative citizens, who while promoting individual interests contribute also to the general prosperity, welfare and upbuilding.
Martin B. Peterson
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 187-188; submitted by Mary Saggio]
MARTIN B. PETERSON. The geographical situation of Sturgeon Bay naturally has promoted navigation and kindred interests and among those who are active in this field is Martin B. Peterson, who in early manhood took up the boat building business and is today controlling important interests of that character as president of the Peterson Boat Works. He was born in Denmark, March 17, 1874, and is a son of Nels F. Peterson, who in 1883 brought his family to Wisconsin, settling in Racine. Martin B. Peterson was at that time a little lad of nine years. When his textbooks were put aside he began learning the boat building trade and was in the employ of various concerns in that line at Racine for twelve years. He afterward spent ten months in Duluth, Minnesota, and in 1906 came to Sturgeon Bay. He was employed for three years by the Sturgeon Bay Boat Manufacturing Company and in 1908 began the building of boats on his own account under the style of the Peterson Boat Works. He builds all classes of boats, from a canoe to a seventy-five foot boat with a thirty-five ton capacity, and each year he builds about three or four large boats and many small ones. He has won a reputation for great thoroughness in his work and the number of his patrons has steadily increased, his business becoming one of the substantial industries of the city. Mr. Peterson also operates a launch of his own, The Challenger, which is used in the freight and passenger service.
Mr. Peterson has been married twice. He first wedded Mary Ann Sherwood, a native of Michigan and a daughter of James Sherwood, who was living in Racine, Wisconsin, at the time of his daughter's marriage. She passed away in January, 1907, and Mr. Peterson has since married Minnie Ann Hayes, of Sturgeon Bay. By his first marriage he had six children: Bertha Ruth, now the wife of Jake Simon, of Racine; Fred, who is with his father in business; Martin, residing in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Walter, who died in February, 1916, at the age of seventeen years; Mary, at home; and Robert, who was adopted at the time of his mother's death by C. A. Lunberg, of Fish Creek. By the second marriage Mr. Peterson has one son, Archie B., now eight years of age. Mr. Peterson has membership with the Beavers, to which his wife and two older sons also belong. His political endorsement is given to the republican party where national issues are involved but at local elections he casts an independent ballot. His life has been one of untiring industry and his capability and powers have increased as the years have gone on and experience has added to his skill and knowledge.
Rev. Henry N. Pfeifer
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). page 206; submitted by Mary Saggio]
REV. HENRY N. PFEIFER, pastor of Corpus Christi Catholic church at Sawyer, was born on the 5th of July, 1881, in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and is a son of Henry and Caroline (Henze) Pfeifer, who came to this country from Germany. The father was born in the Rhine province of Bavaria in June, 1843, and was there reared and educated but in 1861 crossed the Atlantic to the United States and located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in railroad work. He died in 1883 and his wife passed away in 1891. They were the parents of four children, namely: Johanna, who is now the wife of Jacob Ries of Oshkosh; Anton and Elizabeth, both deceased; and Henry N., of this review.
Father Pfeifer grew to manhood in his native city and was educated for the priesthood. After graduating from St. Vincent De Paul school in Oshkosh, be entered St. Francis Seminary in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, from which he was graduated in 1905. After his ordination he was appointed assistant pastor of St. Boniface Catholic church at Manitowoc, where he remained from 1905 to 1908, and was then transferred to Sawyer as pastor of Corpus Christi church, of which he has since been in charge.
Corpus Christi Catholic church was organized in 1904 with about forty-six families in the parish and a building was erected at a cost of nine thousand dollars to be used both as a parsonage and church. The first pastor was Rev. Frank Peters, who was in charge for three years, and was followed by Rev. C. Hugo, who remained for one year. Since then Father Pfeifer has been pastor and has done an excellent work. The congregation now numbers one hundred and eighteen families or four hundred and eighty-five souls, and a parochial school has been established with eight grades under two teachers and with seventy pupils in attendance. Father Pfeifer has labored untiringly for the interests of his church and is held in the highest esteem by all who know him whether Catholics or Protestants.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 247-248; submitted by Mary Saggio]
GABRIEL PIERRE, a merchant and cheese manufacturer of Brussels township, was born May 29, 1863, in the township in which he still lives, his parents being Frank and Angelique (DeKeyser) Pierre, both of whom were natives of Belgium. The father came to the United States with his parents when a young man, the family taking passage on a sailing vessel in 1854. They were eight weeks in crossing the Atlantic and for a short time the family resided at Alton, Illinois, where the death of the grandfather occurred. The father afterward came with the other members of the family to Door county, Wisconsin, settling in Brussels township, and some time later purchased eighty acres of timber land, which he cleared and developed, becoming in the course of time one of the prosperous farmers of his community. After devoting forty-five years to agricultural pursuits he went to Beaver, Wisconsin, and subsequently to Abrams, Oconto county, where he lived retired until his death which occurred in 1914, when he was seventy-seven years of age. His widow survives him at the age of seventy-five years.
Gabriel Pierre spent his youthful days in Brussels township and the public school system afforded him his early educational opportunities. He attended a business college in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and in 1884 he became associated with the Pierre & Virlee Company, of Brussels, in the capacity of bookkeeper for the grist mill, the store and the cheese factory. He had acquired valuable experience during the fifteen years of his connection with the business and on the expiration of that period he embarked in the implement business on his own account. Succeeding in this undertaking he then added a general store and cheese factory and has since continued active along these lines, being one of the progressive merchants of his part of the county. His business affairs are carefully and wisely managed and success is attending his well defined and carefully directed efforts. Mr. Pierre is a well known citizen of Door county, within the boundaries of which his entire life has been passed. Here he has so carefully and wisely directed his labors that success in substantial measure has come to him. His progressive methods bring excellent results and his reliability, as well as his enterprise, is acknowledged by all. Mr. Pierre has been twice married, his first wife being Miss Annie Mersheek, who died in Brussels in 1898, leaving one child, Gabriel. In 1901 Mr. Pierre was united in marriage to Miss Mary Lemence, a daughter of Ferdinand and Hortense (Cravelion) Lemence, who were natives of Belgium and were among the early settlers of Door county. Mrs. Pierre was born in Kewaunee county, Wisconsin, and by her marriage has become the mother of four children, Orbic, Mary, Wilford and Clarence.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917), pages 377-378; submitted by Mary Saggio]
WENZEL PIVONKA, a well known and successful farmer residing on section 21, Nasewaupee township, was born in Bohemia on the 23d of September, 1851. He received his education in that country, where he remained until he was twenty years of age. In 1871 he came to the United States and took up his residence in Kewaunee county, Wisconsin, whence eight years later he came to Door county. He purchased eighty acres of land, which he cleared and on which he erected a residence and other buildings. Subsequently he bought an eighty-five acre tract across the road from his home farm and has since operated the entire one hundred and sixty-five acres. When he first came to this county he was employed for a time in the Lawrence lumber mills but with that exception has engaged in farming continuously since 1879. His land is in a high state of cultivation and he derives therefrom a gratifying profit. He is also a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator and was instrumental in organizing the local telephone company.
In 1872 in Kewaunee county, Mr. Pivonka was united in marriage to Miss Anna Soukup, who was born in Bohemia, April 24, 1859, and came to America in 1871. To their union have been born the following children: Anna, who is now Mrs. August Noll and resides in Milwaukee; Mary, the deceased wife of Anton Wetak; Wenzel, Jr., who is farming with his father; Fannie, who married Fred Schultise of Nasewaupee township; Emil, who is a carpenter residing in Sawyer; Emily, who is the deceased wife of Frank Hemple and is buried in the Shoemaker cemetery; and Charles, who is also with his father.
Mr. Pivonka gives his political support to the democratic party and has filled local office with great credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. For eleven years he was supervisor and for many years was road overseer. He is a devout Catholic and contributed generously to the erection of the Corpus Christi church at Sawyer, of which he is a communicant, and to the church at Maplewood. He belongs to the Catholic Knights and is popular in that organization. He is now in comfortable circumstances as the result of his own industry and good management, and he is esteemed as one of the progressive farmers of his township.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 147-148; submitted by Mary Saggio]
LEWIS POLSTER. Since 1890 Lewis Polster has carried on farming in Door county and is now the owner of a well improved and valuable farm on section 2, Sevastopol township. A native of Wisconsin, he was born in the town of Russell, Sheboygan county, November 22, 1865, and is a son of Charles and Anna Polster, who were born in Germany but came to the United States during their youth and were married in Sheboygan county, this state, where the father purchased a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits for a number of years. He died in December, 1886, and the mother departed this life December 28, 1916, both being laid to rest in the Russell cemetery. In the family were six children, Lewis being the second in order of birth, but only two of the number are now living, the younger being Otto, who still resides on the old homestead in Sheboygan county.
Like most farmer boys, Lewis Politer early became familiar with all the duties of the farm and at the same time pursued his studies in the district schools as he found opportunity until sixteen years of age. He then worked for his father until he was twenty-two years old and afterward rented the home farm for one year. The following two years were spent at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, where he worked as a railroad section hand, but on the 10th of September, 1890, he came to Door county and purchased the west half of the northeast quarter of section 11, Sevastopol township, twenty-eight acres of which had been cleared. He removed the timber from the remainder of the tract and made all of the improvements upon that place and later purchased the west half of the southeast quarter of section 2 of the same township, whereon he has resided ever since. He has erected good and substantial buildings for the shelter of grain and stock and is a progressive, wide-awake farmer who has made a success of his chosen calling.
On the 15th of March, 1888, Mr. Polster married Miss Amelia Henschel, a daughter of Herman and Mary Henschel, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Wisconsin. For some years her father followed farming in Sheboygan county, this state, but later removed to Sturgeon Bay, Door county, where he passed away, his remains being interred in Bayside cemetery. Mrs. Henschel is now living at Russell, Sheboygan county. Of the six children born to Mr. and Mrs. Polster, Florence died at the age of thirteen months and the others are still living, namely: Amanda, at home; Lottie, the wife of Joseph Pichette, of Egg Harbor; Selma, of Racine, Wisconsin; and Eda and Helen, both at home.
The family hold membership in the German Lutheran church and Mr. Polster is a supporter of the republican party, taking a commendable interest in public affairs. He has served as school director and pathmaster for one term each but prefers to give his attention principally to his business interests and is regarded as one of the representative farmers of his community.
Thomas C. Proctor, M. D.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 112-113; submitted by Mary Saggio]
DR. THOMAS C. PROCTOR, actively engaged in the practice of medicine in Sturgeon Bay, first took up his abode here in October, 1900. A decade later he left the city, but when two years had passed he returned and continues actively and successfully in the practice of his chosen profession, in which he displays creditable ability. He was born in Monroe City, Missouri, January 24, 1873, a son of Dr. Thomas and Mary L. (Bailey) Proctor, who were natives of Missouri and Kentucky respectively. The son acquired a public school education and afterward attended college at La Grange, Missouri, while later he was graduated from the military school at Mexico, Missouri, with the class of 1892. After reviewing the broad field of business with its many branches of activity, he determined upon the practice of medicine as a life work and entered the Washington University at St. Louis, where he completed the regular course in medicine with the class of 1895. He afterward attended the New York Post Graduate School and Hospital and throughout his professional career he has remained a close and discriminating student of the science of medicine, keeping in close touch with everything relative thereto. He lectured for a time in the Kansas City University Medical College and also in the Woman's Medical College of Kansas City, and for four years he engaged in practice there. He was also consulting chemist for the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Memphis Railway.
In October, 1900, Dr. Proctor came to Sturgeon Bay, where he entered upon the general practice of medicine, in which he continued until 1910. He afterward spent two years in Hannibal, Missouri, but in 1912 returned to this city, where he is now concentrating his attention and efforts upon the duties of a growing general practice. He is secretary of the Door County Medical Society. He also holds membership in the Wisconsin State Medical Society and the American Medical Association and thus keeps in touch with the trend of scientific thought, investigation and discovery.
On the 26th of October, 1898, Dr. Proctor was married to Miss Georgie M. Noel, a daughter of J. H. and Martha Noel, of Paris, Missouri. They have one child, Martha E., at home. Dr. Proctor is well known as an exemplary representative of the Masonic fraternity, holding membership in lodge and chapter, and he has filled all of the offices in the Knights of Pythias lodge. In politics he maintains an independent course, supporting men and measures rather than party but keeping in touch with the trend of modern thought and opinion, for he does not lightly regard the duties and obligations of citizenship. In his chosen life work he has made steady progress and is most conscientious in the performance of all of his professional duties.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 214-215; submitted by Mary Saggio]
LOUIS PRUETER is proprietor of a sawmill at Baileys Harbor and also is owner of an excellent farm of two hundred acres near the town. He was born in Germany on the 15th of October, 1859, and is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Prueter, who were also natives of that country, where the mother passed away. In 1867 the father came to the United States on a sailing vessel and made his way to Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, where his death occurred. Louis Prueter was a little lad of eight years at the time of the emigration of the family to the United States. His boyhood, therefore, was largely passed in Manitowoc county, where he acquired his education as a public school student. He remained at home until he reached his majority and through the summer months actively assisted in the work of the farm, thus early becoming familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. On attaining his majority he removed to Washington island for a time was employed by the Frieberg Lumber Company. Later he took up his abode at Baileys Harbor and worked in the woods near here, getting out posts and ties. He carefully saved his earnings while thus employed until his economy and his industry had brought him sufficient capital to enable him to engage in business on his own account. He then joined Mr. Tousland in the purchase of a sawmill, which they operated together for a number of years, at the end of which time Mr. Prueter purchased the interest of his partner and is now sole owner of the business. He still operates his sawmill and is conducting a good business in the manufacture of lumber. While thus engaged he also made investment in two hundred acres of farm land near Baileys Harbor, which he cleared and has transformed into an excellent farm property. He has added many modern improvements thereto and from his farm now derives a very gratifying and substantial annual income.
In 1888 Mr. Prueter was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Oldenburg, a daughter of John and Gusta (Graff) Oldenburg. She was born in Milwaukee, while her parents were natives of Germany and in early life removed to Milwaukee, where they spent two years. They afterward became residents of Baileys Harbor township, Door county, where Mr. Oldenburg purchased a farm, which he cultivated for a considerable period or until death called him to his final rest. His widow still survives. To Mr. and Mrs. Prueter have been born three children, Carl, Sophia and Arnold. The family is widely and favorably known in Baileys Harbor and this locality and warm-hearted hospitality is freely accorded them. Mr. Prueter is recognized as a progressive and enterprising business man whose labors have always been intelligently directed and whose energy has been unfaltering.
Alonzo S. Putman
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 213-214; submitted by Mary Saggio]
ALONZO S. PUTMAN. Death removed an active business man of Sturgeon Bay when Alonozo S. Putman was called to his final rest on the 22d of May, 1917. He was proprietor of a livery stable and was one of the best known men of Door county, where practically his entire life was passed. He was born, however, in Aurora, Illinois, on the 5th of February, 1864, but was only four years old when first brought to this county by his parents, John and Sarah (Weed) Putman, the family locating at Baileys Harbor in 1870 but removing to Sturgeon Bay in the spring of 1871. For one year the father rented a farm near the city and engaged in its operation but at the end of that time returned to Aurora, Illinois. In 1875, however, we again find him in Door county and after spending the winter in Sawyer he located on a farm in Sturgeon Bay township, where he continued to make his home until called to his final rest. His widow is still living. During his boyhood Alonzo S. Putman attended the public school in the acquirement of an education but at an early age began earning his own livelihood as a newsboy in Aurora, Illinois. When a young man he worked in the lumber woods during the winter months and also helped build the Sturgeon Bay canal. For eleven years he was employed in the nursery of George Pinney in Door county and in 1892 took the contract for carrying the mail to Sister Bay. In 1897 he opened a livery stable, in Sturgeon Bay, known as the Vendome Barn, but this was destroyed by fire two years later and for the following two years he engaged in teaming. He then resumed the livery business, which he carried on with marked success up to the time of his demise. He had the first automobile bus in the county, carrying passengers north of Sturgeon Bay, and later he operated one seven passenger Buick, two passenger trucks and two freight trucks. Before the railroad was built he operated a stage line across Green Bay to Marinette during the winter time for twenty-three years and often had the misfortune to break through the ice on these trips for it required either four or six horse teams and was a very hazardous undertaking. He ran an excellent stage service all over the northern part of the county, making trips as regular as any train service, and to the time of his death he still carried the mail throughout that locality both winter and summer though he used horses during the cold season. During the summer months he carried thousands of tourists to the resorts of this region and in that way became both widely and favorably known, being especially popular with the traveling public. In 1887 Mr. Putman was united in marriage to Miss Lucretia Johnson, a native of Canada and a daughter of Robert and Mary Johnson, pioneers of Sturgeon Bay, and to this union were born five children, namely: Herbert, who is now agent for the Overland automobiles at Columbus, Ohio; Darewood, deceased; Phylis, Alger and Robert, all at home. Fraternally Mr. Putman was affiliated with the Equitable Fraternal Union and the Eagles, and politically he was identified with the republican party. Coming here at an early day he witnessed almost the entire development of Door county. He saw the forests disappear before the woodman's ax, the land transformed into cultivable fields and towns and villages spring up. His business brought him in contact with a large number of people who held him in the highest esteem. Since his demise his family have disposed of the livery business. He is yet held in kindly remembrance by the many friends whom he left behind.
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails