[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 263-264; submitted by Mary Saggio]
FABIAN REINCE, cashier of the State Bank of Maplewood, although still in the twenties has gained recognition as a man of keen business insight and of unusual discrimination. He was born at Rosiere, Brussels township, Door county, August 30, 1890, and is a son of Peter and Emerence (Gerard) Reince. The father was born in Rosiere but his father, Alexander Reince, was a natice of Perwey, Province of Brabant, Belgium, whence he crossed the Atlantic to the United States in a sailing vessel in the '50s. From New York city he made his way by the Great Lakes to Green Bay, Wisconsin, and thence came to Door county. He took up eighty acres of government land at Rosiere and after clearing his farm devoted his time to the raising of the usual crops. For a number of years after his arrival in the county there were more Indians to be seen than white men and in going to Green Bay to market it was necessary to follow trails through the woods as there were no roads. He passed away in this county as did his wife, whom he married in Belgium. Peter Reince received his education in Casco and from his early boyhood until his father's death aided the latter in the operation of the home farm. At length he came into possession of the place and carried on agricultural pursuits on his own account until he was called by death on the 22d of December, 1910, when forty-seven years old. His wife died at the early age of twenty-eight years in 1893. Fabian Reince was reared under the parental roof and received good educational advantages, attending the high school at Algoma and a business college at Green Bay. For one year he was employed as bookkeeper for the Pierre Virlee Company of Brussels, this county, but at the end of that time, his father having passed away, he took charge of the home farm. He only remained on that place a year, however, and then engaged in the hotel and liquor business at Rosiere for two years. Upon disposing of his interests in that connection he purchased the general merchandise stock of Gabe Pierre at Brussels and for three years owned and managed that store and also conducted a cheese factory. Since 1916, however, he has filled the important position of cashier of the State Bank of Maplewood, in which he is also a heavy stockholder. The institution was opened for business on the 20th of October, 1916, the other officers are as follows: Joseph Ullsperger, president; John Dettman, who is a director and is temporarily filling the office of vice president made vacant by the death of Anton Schlise; and Ferdinand Babler, who is likewise a vice president. In addition to the officers the following men are directors: John Feller, Dr. J. C. Murphy and Louis Neuville. On the 20th of September, 1910, Mr. Reince was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Charles, a daughter of August and Marjorie (Bero) Charles and a native of Rosiere. The parents, who are living retired in Brussels after many years devoted to agricultural pursuits, were born in Belgium. To Mr. and Mrs. Reince have been born five children, namely: Laura, Lillian, Peter, Willard and Marvin. Mr. Reince has confined his activity in public affairs to the exercise of his right of franchise. Among his salient characteristics are industry, energy and the ability to inspire confidence in others, and he has met with success in all that he has undertaken. Under his management the bank of Maplewood has prospered and its business is still growing steadily.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 252-253; submitted by Mary Saggio]
ALPHONSE RENARD is the owner of a farm of one hundred and twenty acres on section 16, Union township. He was born upon this place, which is situated on Schumacher's Point, on the 3d of August, 1872, his parents being Lambert and Theresa (Detry) Renard. Both parents were natives of Belgium, where they were reared and married, and there the father learned the shoemaker's trade. He came to the United States in 1857 on a sailing vessel which was eight weeks in making the voyage. Later he became a resident of Green Bay and took up his abode on Schumacher's Point. His farm lay along the shore and was all covered with a dense growth of timber. In the midst of the forest he built a log house and at once began to clear away the trees and brush preparatory to planting the fields. Later he erected a more commodious log house and his remaining days were spent upon the home farm, which he transformed into a valuable tract of land. There were many difficulties to be met and many hardships to be endured but he and his family displayed a resolute spirit and with persistent purpose carried on the work until their labors were rewarded with success. The death of the father occurred in 1890, when he had reached the age of sixty-two years, while his widow survived until January 22, 1901, when she, too, passed away on the old homestead. Alphonse Renard obtained his education in the early schools of the district and remained with his father until the latter's death. He is now the owner of the old home property, which comprises one hundred and twenty acres of good land in Union township. Here he carries on general farming and he has brought his fields to a high state of cultivation. He practices the rotation of crops and utilizes many modern methods to enrich his fields and render them more productive. His labors are bringing him good returns and he is now meeting with a success adequate to his efforts. In 1899 Mr. Renard was united in marriage to Miss Elsie Delwich, a daughter of Joseph and Josephine (Joke) Delwich, who were natives of Belgium and were among the early settlers of Union township, Door county. Mrs. Renard was born in Union township and by her marriage became the mother of seven children, Ben, Emily, Henry, Josie, Lambert, Gilbert and Arthur. Mr. and Mrs. Renard are widely and favorably known in this locality and have the goodwill and confidence of those with whom they have been associated. They have spent their entire lives in Union township and represent two of the old pioneer families, to whom the county owes much for their participation in the work of development and improvement.
Captain Charles Reynolds
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917), pages 478-479; submitted by
CAPTAIN CHARLES REYNOLDS. One of the most illustrious names in Door county’s history is that of Charles Reynolds, captain and veteran of the Civil war, merchant, banker and political representative of Door county. He was born in County Longford in the central part of Ireland, November 15, 1839, the son of Michael and Mary Ann Reynolds, respectable farming people of that county. In 1860 he emigrated to America and joined his brother John, in Madison, Wisconsin, who had preceded him and was engaged in commercial pursuits. In September of the following year he enlisted in the Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry and was appointed sergeant major of the regiment. His promotion during the war was rapid. On March 19, 1862, he was made second lieutenant; on April 7, 1863, he was made first lieutenant; on October 7, 1864, he received his commission as captain; and in the spring of 1865 he was detailed as acting assistant adjutant general on the staff of General Charles M. Ewing. A short time after his return to Madison the energetic young captain met Miss Mary Mahan, a daughter of Rev. A. Mahan, first president of Oberlin College, Ohio. They were married April 9, 1870. In 1867 his brother, John Reynolds, with two partners had invested considerable money in the up to then unsettled wilderness of Jacksonport in Door county, with the object of shipping cedar and cord wood. The partners were unsuccessful from the start, however, and after several years of hard luck. during which they lost a great deal of money, they were obliged to go into bankruptcy. This property, including considerable land, a pier, a town site and a store, passed into the hands of certain creditors in Green Bay with whom Charles Reynolds was connected. In this way Mr. Reynolds was led to buy out the Jacksonport property and about 1875 moved up to take charge. No sooner had Charles Reynolds taken charge but an immediate and striking change was seen. Jacksonport began to grow and became a very busy and prosperous shipping point. Farmers were induced to settle and under Mr. Reynold’s brisk management a very large merchandise business was conducted. Huge cargoes of forest products daily left the pier of Jacksonport leaving some money both for the clever merchant who handled the sales and the farmers who did the work. Instead of being a gloomy wilderness where the promoters had annually lost thousands of dollars Jacksonport soon became one of the most flourishing shipping points on the peninsula. In this work Mr. Reynolds and his farmer friends cooperated. Many of them came each year as new settlers, strong of brawn but with little or no capital. Mr. Reynolds would cheerfully fit them out for the winter while they in return by spring had banked up vast quantities of forest products for which he found the best markets. Mr. Reynolds was a stalwart republican and was postmaster of Jacksonport from his first year of settlement there. In 1892 he was elected a member of the state legislature and was reelected in 1894. During his service as legislator he was counted as one of the foremost leaders of the Assembly. He was a member of the State Central Committee for many years. In 1901, he was appointed by the Governor to represent the state of Wisconsin as one of its Commissioners at the World’s Exposition at Buffalo. The above is but a very brief and incomplete enumeration of the salient points in Mr. Reynold’s busy life. Space does not permit of the mention of the many patriotic and political organizations of which he was an honored and active member. At home as well as abroad he was a man of keen interests, participating in all matters pertaining to the upbuilding of his surroundings. During his last years he was vice president of the Merchants Exchange Bank. His death occurred February 2, 1914, at Biloxi, Mississippi, where he and Mrs. Reynolds had gone to spend the winter. Successful as Mr. Reynolds was in all his dealings with the outside world he and Mrs. Reynolds were unfortunate within the privacy of the domestic circle. Five children were born to them, these being Michael, Mary, Charles, Dwight and Ruth. All these with the exception of the eldest died in infancy. He lived until he was twenty-one when he too was taken away from the bereaved mother and father. Mrs. Reynolds now alone survives of all her family. She lives in Boise City, Idaho.
Captain Charles Reynolds was a captain of men in a two fold sense. He not only won his title as captain in the army for signal courage and distinguished ability on the bloody battlefields of the South, but he also proved himself a captain of industry in developing the resources of Door county. He succeeded where others failed and in succeeding he also helped others to success. He was a benefactor to the needy and a good friend to those who struggled honestly for their betterment. There were no shams and pretensions in Mr. Reynolds. He was square, clean-cut and energetic and expected others to be the same. Therefore, he was not timid about rebuking falsehoods and chicanery masquerading under the guise of reform and virtue. Mr. Reynolds is now dead but his name will long live in Door county as one of the most active, useful and successful citizens of the county of his time.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). page 97; submitted by Mary Saggio]
EDWARD REYNOLDS was born in Michigan, the son of Charles and Eliza A. Reynolds. He with his father became identified with the lumber industry of Sturgeon Bay under the name of the Reynolds Lumber Company in 1888, having taken over the business of the Sturgeon Bay Lumber Company. In December, 1895, The Reynolds Preserving Company was organized, of which Edward Reynolds is president and Edward and William S. Reynolds, managers. This business is still in successful operation, making a specialty of canning peas and cherries. The company has packed as high as three million five hundred thousand cans of peas a year, the product of two thousand acres of land. These peas have been distributed throughout a large portion of the United States. The industry is one of the most important of Sturgeon Bay and employs several hundred people during the summer months. The company owns several farms and cherry orchards and has cleared and developed extensive tracts of land in the county. In 1885 Mr. Reynolds was married to Miss Lucy V. Rice, of Grand Haven, Michigan, and they have three children, Margaret Rice, Alice R. and Edward S., the last named being associated with his father in business. The family attend the Congregational church and work toward promoting its growth and extending its influence. Mr. Reynolds is a director of the Bank of Sturgeon Bay, has filled the office of city alderman and also served on the board of education.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917), pages 470-472; submitted by Mary Saggio]
HON. THOMAS REYNOLDS. It was Hon. Thomas Reynolds who introduced the bill that secured the State Park for Door county and with public affairs he has been prominently identified, while at the same time he has been active in farming interests. He was born in Longford, Ireland, a son of Michael and Mary Ann (McCann) Reynolds, who were farming people of that country and there reared their family of nine children, of whom two are still living: Henry, now a resident of Sturgeon Bay; and Thomas, of this review. In the fall of 1866, Thomas Reynolds came to the United States with his sister Katherine as passengers on the steamer Scotland. This sister afterward became the wife of James Gray and lived at Stevens Point and at Ripon, Wisconsin, but is now deceased. The mother died in Ireland during the early boyhood of her son Thomas, and in 1867 the father with the other members of the family, Henry, Maria, Lawrence and James, came to the new world, making his way to Madison, Wisconsin, where lived his son John, who had located there a few years before. Another son, Michael, had crossed the Atlantic about two years before Thomas Reynolds made the voyage, and Michael, Thomas and their father secured a farm seven miles from Madison and there gave their attention to general agricultural pursuits for several years. It was upon that place that the father ultimately passed away. John Reynolds was a real estate operator in Madison and with others he purchased two thousand acres of timber land in the vicinity of Jacksonport, Door county. Here they built a pier, a mill and a store, thus becoming important factors in the early development of Jacksonport. They began to clear their land for the cedar on it, and in 1868 Thomas Reynolds came to Jacksonport to work for the company, with which he remained for a year. The following year he purchased several pieces of cedar land, becoming owner of seven hundred acres in all, and from this he also began to cut the timber, devoting four years to that work. He was unfortunate, however, in being caught on a low market in those years and his undertaking proved unprofitable. He then turned his attention to farming, which was more definite in its results, and again engaged in the cultivation of land near Madison for one year. On the expiration of that period he returned to Jacksonport township and purchased the north half of the northwest quarter of section 27. This was a tract of wild timber land, on which he built a log shack. He then began to clear the place and has since devoted his attention to its cultivation and improvement. His labors in this connection have been fraught with good results and he has become one of the prosperous farmers of Door county. His business affairs have been most carefully and wisely conducted. His farm work has been carried on according to progressive methods and his labors have brought him a very gratifying competence. Mr. Reynolds was united in marriage to Miss Jane Foley, a daughter of John and Katherine (Nangel) Foley, who resided near Milwaukee, where they were early settlers and where the father engaged in farming until his death. Both were natives of Ireland. To Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds were born nine children who are yet living, namely: Mabel, who is assistant to the state superintendent of schools at Madison; Anna, who is librarian of the normal school in Cheney, Washington; John, a resident of Green Bay; Paul, an assistant to the state tax commissioner at Madison; Edith, a high school teacher in Fond du Lac; Sidney, at home; Lucille, who is engaged in teaching in Montana; Jane, a trained nurse in Milwaukee; and Helen, at home. Thomas, Jr., the fourth child of the family, was drowned while skating in Green Bay, his tragic death occurring when he was nearly twenty-one years of age. His remains were interred in the Jacksonport cemetery. In community affairs Mr. Reynolds has taken a very active and helpful interest. He has served as township chairman for several years and on the township board has done splendid work. He was for two terms sent to represent his district in the state legislature, where he was connected with many important laws that are now found on the statute books of the state. He gave careful consideration to every vital question which came up for settlement and his endorsement of a measure indicated most clearly his belief in its efficacy as a factor in good government. He has had not a little to do with molding public thought and opinion and ranks with the representative and honored residents of this section of the state.
Arthur D. Rieboldt
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). page 154; submitted by Mary Saggio]
ARTHUR D. RIEBOLDT is conducting a well equipped photographic studio in Sturgeon Bay. He is well known in this city, where the greater part of his life has been passed. He was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 6, 1884, and is a son of August Rieboldt, who for many years has been prominently connected with the shipbuilding interests of this city and is thus controlling a most important industrial enterprise of Sturgeon Bay. Spending his youthful days under the parental roof, Arthur D. Rieboldt acquired a public school education. He became a high school student and when his textbooks were put aside he entered the employ of his father, with whom he worked for a few years. He then became government stone inspector, which position he filled for several years, and he still does that class of work. At the present time, however, he is conducting the Rieboldt Studio, which was established by O. R. Moore and was purchased by Mrs. Rieboldt in 1909. Mr. and Mrs. Rieboldt are now associated in the management of the enterprise and have made it the leading photographic gallery of Sturgeon Bay. They employ the most modern and improved scientific processes in making pictures and have succeeded in producing splendid effects in light and shade and, moreover, have the faculty of obtaining a natural expression and pose on the part of their subjects. In 1910 Mr. Rieboldt was married to Miss Jessie Batchelder, of Sturgeon Bay, a daughter of Peter Batchelder, a well known representative of navigation interests who for many years has been a captain on the lakes. Mr. Rieboldt belongs to the Masonic lodge, chapter and council and also to the Knights of Pythias and is loyal to the teachings of these orders, which recognize the brotherhood of mankind and the obligation thereby imposed.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 32-36; submitted by Mary Saggio]
AUGUST RIEBOLDT. No record of industrial development and activity in Sturgeon Bay would be complete without extended reference to August Rieboldt, who since 1890 has been actively associated with the interests of Sturgeon Bay as a shipbuilder. There is in his life history much that is commendable for the story shows what can be accomplished when there is a will to dare and to do, giving proof of the fact that in America ''labor is king." Mr. Rieboldt is a native of Prussia. He was born in Falkenwald, in the province of Brandenburg, January 23, 1849, but was only about two years old when brought by his parents to the new world. Reared in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, he spent a few terms as a student in the Lutheran parochial school and when a youth of thirteen was confirmed in that church. The following year he made his initial step in the business world by entering upon an apprenticeship at furniture making at a period when practically all furniture was made by hand. He did not get along well with his first employer and at the end of a year left, but soon afterward entered upon another apprenticeship under a Herman Wolter, under whose directions he acquired a competent knowledge of the trade. He received during the first year a wage of six dollars, for the second year twelve dollars and for the third eighteen dollars. Although the money received was very small it was better than some apprentices, for at that time it was not an unusual thing for a youth to pay for the privilege of learning rather than to receive any wage. After working at furniture making for a short time Mr. Rieboldt in 1866 changed his occupation somewhat by accepting a position in the shipyards at Sheboygan and while thus employed he also sailed at various times on the brig Sailorboy and other vessels, for from early youth he had practical knowledge of sailing. At one time he was also a member of the volunteer life saving crew and many rescues have been reported to his credit. Hardships came to him in connection with his experience as a sailor but all these things called forth in him the qualities of manhood and courage and also developed quickness of thought in emergencies. In the fall of 1869 Mr. Rieboldt went south to spend some time at Memphis, Tennessee. Important events often come in the guise of commonplaces. It seemed no particular event in the life of Mr. Rieboldt when in 1870 he entered the employ of the Wolf & Davidson Company of Milwaukee at their shipyard, yet it was this step which led him into his present important field of labor. He not only worked in the yards but also as master commanded a sailing vessel for that firm during two seasons, and in 1883 and 1884 he had charge of the wrecking tug boat Leviathan. In 1885 he entered into partnership.with Joseph Wolter, who was then foreman of the Wolf & Davidson Company, to establish a shipbuilding yard at Sheboygan. Their first boat was the tug Sheboygan, and from that time on they have been kept constantly busy in the construction of boats, some large, some small, until the number now reaches about sixty. They were the builders of the Helena, which at one time was the largest sailing vessel on the lakes. They were also builders of the Marion, the John Schroeder, the E. A. Shores and many others. The firm has ever maintained an unusual reputation for the integrity of its methods as well as the thoroughness of its work, and the growth of the businesss leads to the employment of two hundred and forty workmen at the present time, most of whom are skilled in this particular line of labor. They have built over 60 vessels of various kinds. Mr. Rieboldt is also one of the stockholders of the Wisconsin Dredge & Dock Company which has executed very important government and other contracts along the line indicated, and he also owns stock in the Bank of Sturgeon Bay. On the 5th of October, 1876, Mr. Rieboldt was united in marriage to Miss Maria Davidson, a native of Milwaukee where her father settled in pioneer times. She passed away November 16, 1905, her death being deeply regretted by many friends as well as her immediate family because of the nobility of her character, her social charms and her many kindnesses to those who needed assistance. Mr. and Mrs. Rieboldt were the parents of six sons and a daughter, Edward, Henry L., William A., Frederick H., Arthur D., Mabel and Clarence E. Mr. Rieboldt is independent in politics. It is characteristic of him that he does not hesitate to express his honest convictions nor support those principles in which he believes. He is well known in masonic circles, holding membership in lodge, chapter and counsel at Sturgeon Bay and he also belongs to the Knights of Pythias. He is likewise a member of the Twenty Club composed of Sturgeon Bay's most prominent citizens, and of this he has been vice president. He stands for all that is most progressive in the public life of the community and his influence is always given on the side of those activities which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 199-200; submitted by Mary Saggio]
JOSEPH RIEDER, who is engaged in general farming on section 31, Nasewaupee township, has long been identified with agricultural interests in this locality. In fact he was born on the old home place where he now resides, his natal day being March 14, 1885. He is a son of Michael and Mary Rieder, of Manitowoc county, who came to Door county in the early '70s. They had a family of five children: Kate, who is now the wife of Pete Rapel, of Antigo, Wisconsin; Joseph, of this review; Mary, who is the wife of John Manlick, living at Auburndale, Wisconsin; Frank, whose home is in Manitowoc county; and Bertha, the wife of Ed Stoutinger, of Manitowoc. On coming to this county the father purchased eighty acres of land which was covered with the natural growth of forest trees. This he at once began to clear with the assistance of his sons and year by year he carefully developed and improved his farm, remaining thereon until 1906, when he removed to Manitowoc and his son Joseph assumed the management and control of the old homestead. In the usual manner of farm lads Joseph Rieder spent the days of his boyhood and youth, dividing his time between the duties of the schoolroom, the pleasures of the playground and the work of the fields. He continued to assist his father in the development of the old home place until the father went to Manitowoc, when he assumed control and has since carried on general farming with excellent success. His prosperity is shown in the fact that he has been able to add sixty acres to the old home place and he now has an excellent farm, his fields being in a high state of cultivation, while all the improvements, equipments and accessories of a model farm property of the twentieth century are found upon his place. He makes a specialty of dairying and he is also a stockholder and the treasurer of the cheese factory in Nasewaupee township, which position he has occupied for the past seven years. On November i8, 1907, Mr. Rieder was united in marriage to Miss Annie Reimer, of Manitowoc, and they have four children: Agnes, Clemens, Lena and Paul. Mr. Rieder votes independently, considering the capability of the candidate rather than his party ties. His fellow townsmen, recognizing his personal worth, have called him to office and for six years he served as treasurer of school district No. 7 and for four years was pathmaster. His religious faith is that of the Catholic church, his membership being with the Maplewood parish. He is widely and favorably known in this county, where his entire life has been passed and where he has so directed his efforts as to win the confidence, goodwill and warm regard of all with whom he has been associated.
William J. Robinson
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917), pages 427-428; submitted by Mary Saggio]
WILLIAM J. ROBINSON, who resides on section 1 5, Jacksonport township, has devoted his life to farming and has found that work at once profitable and congenial. He was born in the township in which he still resides August 14, 1874, of the marriage of Joseph and Margaret (Breen) Robinson. The father was born February 20, 1833, in County Fermanagh, Ireland, the fourth in a family of ten children, whose parents were John and Jane (Smith) Robinson. In 1852 he came to America and made his way to the home of his uncle, Joseph Smith, a resident of Upper Canada. He was employed as a sawyer for six years and then went to Fulton, New York, where he joined his brother John and learned the blacksmith’s trade. He then returned to Canada and for eight or ten years was in the employ of the Grand Trunk Railway Company, first as brakeman, later as baggageman and eventually as conductor. In July, 1866, however, he located in Jacksonport township, Door county, Wisconsin, and for some time conducted a jobbing business, taking out cedar timber. At that time Door county was still largely undeveloped and he aided in building the first pier at Jacksonport. At length he bought one hundred and sixty-six acres of land on section 15, Jacksonport township, and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, which he followed during the remainder of his active life. He resided upon the homestead until his death, which occurred September 16, 1915. He was buried in the Episcopal cemetery in Jacksonport township. His wife survives and makes her home with her son, William J. It was in 1869 that Mr. Robinson was married in New York city to Miss Margaret Breen, also a native of County Fermanagh and an old schoolmate of his. They became the parents of five children, namely: Mary J., who died in infancy; George J., who is living in Jacksonport; William J.; Isabella M., deceased; and Jane E., who makes her home in Jacksonport. Mr. Robinson was a republican in politics in his young manhood, but later became an adherent of the democratic party. In religious faith he was an Episcopalian and he was highly esteemed by all who knew him. William J. Robinson was reared upon the home farm and attended the early schools as opportunity offered until he was sixteen years old. From that time until he reached the age of thirty-four years he worked in partnership with his father, but at the end of that period he purchased the homestead, which comprises one hundred and twenty-six acres on section 15, Jacksonport township. He has since operated the place on his own account and his thorough knowledge of all phases of farming, combined with his industry and good business ability, have enabled him to accumulate a competence. He does general farming, finding that more profitable than specializing in any one line of production. On the 1st of November, 1911, Mr. Robinson was united in marriage to Miss Lillian Wilson, a daughter of Harry and Sarah (Smith) Wilson, who were early settlers of Jacksonport township. The mother has passed away and is buried in a cemetery in Jacksonport township, but the father survives and still makes his home upon his farm. To Mr. and Mrs. Robinson have been born three children, Kenneth, Sarah Belle and Margaret. Mr. Robinson supports the republican party at the polls and is now serving out an unexpired term as a member of the township board of supervisors, which office he previously held for one term. He has also been school treasurer for five years and his influence has been felt as a factor in the advancement of local educational interests. Fraternally he is connected with the Mystic Workers and the principles which have governed his life are found in the teachings of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is progressive and enterprising and his farm is one of the well improved and attractive places of the township.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917), pages 403-404; submitted by Mary Saggio]
HERMAN RODER of Nasewaupee township is recognized as one of the most progressive men in his part of the county and his own place, which he has named the Old Home Farm, is highly developed and splendidly improved. He is engaged in both dairying and general farming and derives a substantial profit from his land. His birth occurred at Port Washington, Wisconsin, December 30, 1874, and he is a son of Gottlieb Roder, a native of Germany. After living for some time in Port Washington, the father removed to Door county in 1880 and resided here until his death in March, 1908. He had survived his wife for two decades as she passed away in 1888. Both are buried in the Shoemaker cemetery. Herman Roder received his education in the country schools of this county and was carefully trained in agricultural work by his father. For a few years in his early manhood he worked in the lumber camps but in 1898 took charge of the homestead. He has since purchased an additional eighty acres and his holdings now comprise two hundred acres of fertile land. In addition to raising grain for the market he is engaged in dairying having a fine herd of Holstein cattle, and all phases of his business are well managed. His years of experience as a farmer guard him against ill-advised innovations and impracticable schemes, but whenever a new method or appliance is devised that is of real value to the agriculturist he is always among the first to adopt it, and this readiness to profit by the discoveries of others has been a most important element in his success. Mr. Roder was married February 13, 1904, to Miss Margaret Schultise, a daughter of Fred Schultise of Nasewaupee township. The children of this marriage are as follows: Earl, born February 7, 1905; Sylvester, December 19, 1908; Anita, November 13, 1911; Carl, January 16, 1913; Norman, July 4, 1915; and Donald, May 25, 1917. Mr. Roder is a supporter of the republican party at the polls but does not hesitate to cast an independent ballot if he believes he can best serve the public welfare by so doing. He is a member of the Evangelical church and gives his loyal support to its work. He is a firm believer in local companies founded upon the cooperative principle and is a stockholder in the Farmers Telephone Company. He can always be counted upon to do his part in aiding all projects looking to the best interests of his community.
J. W. Rogers
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 239-240; submitted by Mary Saggio]
J. W. ROGERS. The name of Rogers is prominently associated with the history of Door county, where representatives of the family have lived from pioneer times, taking an active part in the development and upbuilding of this section of the state, particularly in the improvement of agricultural conditions. J. W. Rogers is now the manager of an excellent farm of one hundred and ten acres situated on Rowleys bay, Liberty Grove township. He was born in Ottawa, Illinois, January 2, 1872, a son of S. A. and Julia (Blawis) Rogers, who were natives of the state of New York. Removing westward, the father settled in Illinois, where he engaged in the farming business, and in 1876 he removed from that state to Rowleys bay, Door county, where he purchased considerable land. Here he became extensively engaged in the lumber trade, with which he was identified for some time, and as the years passed he made extensive investments in property in this section. Success in large measure attended his efforts, and having become the possessor of a very substantial competence, he retired from active business life and is now living in New York in the enjoyment of a well earned rest. J. W. Rogers attended the schools of Rowleys Bay and assisted his father in various ways in the conduct of his business activities. His father added to his landed possessions from time to time as his financial resources increased and at present the family holds title to over twenty-three hundred acres of land in Door county, of which thirteen hundred acres is devoted to pasture. J. W. Rogers is now actively engaged in cultivating a tract of one hundred and ten acres and in addition he also engages in raising cattle. He is a well known and representative business man, thoroughly familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops and in fact he takes many an initial step along the lines of progressive and scientific farming. On the 25th of June, 1902, Mr. Rogers was united in marriage to Miss Hannah Newman, a native of Ellison Bay, Wisconsin, and a daughter of John Newman, now deceased, who was a nearly settler and well known citizen of Ellison Bay. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have become the parents of two children, Clinton and Winfield. In his political views Mr. Rogers has always been an earnest republican and is a public-spirited and progressive citizen but not an office seeker. However, he has been chairman of the town board for fourteen years. He has membership with the Mystic Workers of the World and in that organization has many friends, but the number is by no means limited to those who are associated with him in that connection. His memory compasses the period of pioneer existence in this section of the state. He can well relate many an interesting tale of frontier days, when there were only trails through the woods, when wild game was to be had in abundance and when the work of development had scarcely been begun. He has done much to assist in the work of general improvement and the Rogers family has indeed made valuable contribution to the agricultural development of this section of the state. Mr. Rogers is a farsighted business man of keen sagacity, correct in his judgment and enterprising in all that he undertakes.
[Source: History of Door County Wisconsin, The County Beautiful, Illustrated Volume II, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1917). pages 20-21; submitted by Mary Saggio]
LOUIS RUBENS, who is engaged in the hotel and liquor business and is also conducting a general store in Lincoln township, Kewaunee county, has been a life long resident of this section of the state. He was born in Kewaunee, December 27, 1867, a son of Charles and Antoinette (Romdenne) Rubens. The father was born at Pietrebais, in the province of Brabant, Belgium, in 1827 and came to the United States in 1856 with his wife, who was born in the same locality in 1824. They were married in Belgium, March 19, 1849, and on coming to the new world settled at Robinsonville, Brown county, Wisconsin, where the father took up land and began the development of a farm. After a short time, however, he removed to Kewaunee county, where he followed the trade of shoemaking, which he had previously learned in his native land. He was thus engaged until 1871 when he purchased a saloon at Rosiere, Wisconsin, but the same year his establishment was destroyed by fire. He then purchased a farm of forty acres which he improved and upon which his son Louis is now residing. The father erected log buildings on that place—a store, a saloon and a log house, and later replaced these with others of more modern construction. He continued to spend his remaining days upon that place, passing away July 3, 1902, while his wife survived for a decade and died on the 16th of August, 1912. Louis Rubens spent his boyhood on the old homestead farm, pursued his education in the district schools and then entered into business with his father. At the latter's death he and his brother Antone took charge of the business and some time later, or in the spring of 1904, he purchased his brother's interest and began to improve the place. He erected new buildings, including the finest dance hall in northern Wisconsin. In addition he has a general store and a saloon, which he conducts and is in every way a progressive, alert and enterprising business man who perhaps has done more than any other man of the locality to further business progress and development in this section. His buildings are all of brick and prove substantial and attractive features of the landscape. In 1901 Mr. Rubens was united in marriage to Miss Louise DeKeyser, a daughter of Joseph and Matilda (Patrice) DeKeyser, who were natives of Belgium, while Mrs. Rubens was born in Brussels, Wisconsin. By her marriage she has become the mother of five children: Elmer, Libby, Laura, Harry and Emma. In the community in which his entire life has been passed Mr. Rubens is widely known. He has led the life of an active, energetic business man, giving his entire attention to his business and his close application and unremitting industry constitute the basis of his success.
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails