Florence County, Wisconsin

Florence County, Wisconsin

Biographies

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

,
ABBOTT, J.E.
 
J.E. Abbott, prosecuting attorney of Florence, Wis., came to the city of Florence in 1885, and for two years was principal of the schools of the city. He is a native of Monroe county ,Wis., born in 1855, and is a son of William P. and Susan C.(Soles) Abbott, natives of Tioga county, Penn., and who, in an early day removed to Monroe county, Wis., being among the pioneer settlers of that county; they are yet living.
Our subject grew to manhood in his native county, and in Vernon county, and was educated in the common schools, subsequently graduating from Gatesville University, in the class of ‘74, not taking his degree until 1885. He was admitted to the bar at Sparta, Wis., in 1879, before Judge Newman, who is now on the Supreme bench of the State. In 1885, as stated, Mr. Abbott came to Florence, and two years later engage in the practice of his profession, and also in the insurance business, in which he has been quite successful. He was first elected prosecuting attorney of the county in 1888, was re-elected in 1890, and has held the office ever since, being re-elected every two years. As a prosecutor he has been eminently successful, and he enjoys the respect and confidence of his associates at the bar, the presiding judge, and of all who know him.
Mr. Abbott was married in Vernon county, Wis., in 1878, to Miss Clara K. Sloggy, a native of Vernon county, Wis., and daughter of Harrison S. Sloggy, an early settler of Portage county, Wis., but who now resides in St. Paul, Minn. By this union four children have been born: Clarence E., Maud E., Clarissa Bell, and Harry S. Fraternally, Mr. Abbott is a member of Florence Lodge No. 31, K. and P., of which he has been chancellor commander, and is deputy grand chancellor; he is also a member of Grand Rapids Lodge No. 91, I.O.O.F.
Mr. Abbott came to Florence from Clintonville, Wis., where he had been principal of the high school for two years; he has given, in all, some twelve years of his life to teaching in the public schools of the State. For ten years he has been identified with the city of Florence, establishing there the high school, and has been instrumental in securing the school library of nearly twelve hundred volumes; has also been instrumental in the securing of a philosophical apparatus. It is said that Florence can justly boast of a high school better than is to be found in any town of its size in the State. Its citizens generally take an active interest in the school, and no one more so than Mr. Abbott. He is a member of the high school board, and is one of the wide-awake and active business men of the city.
 
--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

BAIRD , GEORGE W.

George W. Baird, who is engaged in general merchandising at Florence, came to that city in 1881, at which time he was junior partner of McNair & Baird, which partnership continued until 1888, when Mr.Baird purchased the interest of his partner, and for two years occupied the store building of the Iron Company. In 1890, he erected a two-story frame store-building, having a frontage of twenty-five feet, and a depth of sixty-five feet, or, including the warehouse, a depth of one hundred and twenty feet.

Mr. Baird was born in East Troy, Walworth Co. , Wis. , March 9, 1 848, and is a son of George W. and Ann (Hilton) Baird, the former a native of New York, born of Scotch ancestry, the latter of Lincolnshire, England. The father came to Wisconsin in 1840 and located at Racine, but later removed to Walworth county, where he opened up a farm, and engaged in farming until 1852, when, with an oxteam, he removed to Green Bay, Wis., and settled on a farm of 600 acres, in what is now the town of Rockland, in 1859 he removed to De Pere, where he remained four years, and then went to Neenah, but now resides at Menasha, Wis. His wife died in the town of Clayton, Winnebago Co., Wis., August 6, 1887. Of their family of nine children, eight are yet living: Mrs. Sumerton, of Neenah; George W., our subject; R. L. and Mrs. Howard, both of Neenah; Peter T. , superintendent of a mine at Hortonville. Wis.; Mary, a teacher in the public schools at Neenah; Clara, a teacher in the high school at Neenah; and Thaddeus, who is a bookkeeper in Florence.

Our subject grew to manhood in his native State, and received his education in the schools of De Pere. In his youth he learned the carpenter trade, working at same for a time, and then learned the wagon-makers' trade, at which occupation he was engaged during the first two years of the war. In 1863 he enlisted at Green Bay, Wis., in Company G, Forty-first Wis. V. I., for three years, and was mustered into the service at Camp Washburne, Wis., and soon after was sent to the front. His regiment was assigned to the Third Division, Sixteenth Army Corps, and was engaged in battle at Holly Springs; was on the Forrest raid, and in the battles at La Grange and Memphis, Tenn.; it was then stationed at Fort Pickering. In the battle of LaGrange, Mr. Baird received a gunshot wound, and for a time was confined in the Overton Hospital, at Memphis, Tenn. In 1865 he was honorably discharged at Camp Washburne, near Milwaukee, Wis. On receiving his discharge Mr. Baird went to Neenah, Wis., at which place his parents were then residing. He there worked at his trade until his removal to Florence, with the exception of about five years he was engaged in handling sewing machines and farm machinery. On coming to Florence, as already stated, he engaged in the mercantile business, at which he still continues, and in which he has been very successful. His trade extends for many miles in every direction, and he is known and recognized as a thoroughly reliable and honorable merchant. In 1869, in Winnebago county. Wis., Mr. Baird was united in marriage with Miss Henrietta Bailey, and to their union one child was born, Lulu M. Two years later he was called upon to mourn the death of his wife, who was a lovely, accomplished Christian woman. In 18S4 Mr. Baird again married, taking as his wife Miss Beatrice Tiffay. Her death occurred in 1887, and Mr. Baird was again married, this time, in 1889, at Florence, Wis., to Miss Capitola G. Drake. They have one child, George W.

Mr. Baird has ever taken an active interest in political affairs, and since arriving at legal age has voted the Republican ticket. He is at present town treasurer of Florence, which position he has occupied three years; in 1885 he was elected county clerk, and served one term of two years. He is a member of Du-Pont Post No. 268, G. A. R., and was its commander in 1894; is a member of Fisher Lodge No. 222, F. & A. M., of which he has served as junior warden; he was made a Mason in Kane Lodge, at Neenah, Wis., from which he was demitted, that he might unite with the lodge at that place. Mr. Baird came to Florence with teams, and was in business before the railroad was built to the place. In all the changes and the developments which have since taken place he has been an active participant.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

BEATTIE, S.T.

S.T. BEATTIE, superintendent of the Florence mines, has been a resident of Florence, since 1887. The mines were first opened in 1880, and the output of ore, with the exception of the years 1884-85, has been very large. The largest shipment was in 1880, when something over two hundred and eighteen thousand tons of ore were shipped from this point. The contpany have now on hand some two hundred thousand tons. Mr. Beattie came to Florence as bookkeeper of the company, which position he retained until 1890, when he was made superintendent. The mines have given employment to five hundred men at one time.

Mr. Beattie was born in Orange county, N. Y. , December 30, 1847, and is a son of Israel O. and Elvira (Scott) Beattie, both of whom were natives of the same county and State. The father was for many years a hardware merchant in Middletown, N. Y., and made that city his home until his death, which occurred in 1885. His widow yet resides in Warwick, N. Y. John Beattie, the grandfather of our subject, was a soldier in the war of 1812. Many of his descendants are yet living in Orange county, N. Y. , where theey are highly respected, and influential people. In the family of Israel O. and Elvira Beattie were seven children, four of whom are now living: S. T. , our subject; John J., who resides in Warwick, N. Y. ; Fred, also residing in the same place, and Mary, a physician of Newburg, New York. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native State, and educated in the academy of Middletown, N. Y. After leaving school, he engaged with the Sterling Iron Works, as general agent, and remained with that company until 1887, when he severed his connection and came to Florence, Wis., as already stated. In 1871, at Florida, Orange Co., N. Y. Mr. Beattie was married to Miss Fannie Round, a native of Orange county, N. Y., and daughter of John Round, a pioneer of Herkimer county, in that State, whose death occurred in Florida, N. Y., some years ago. By this union three children have been born: Charles, who is register of deeds of Florence county. Wis., elected in November, 1894; John and Paul, residing at home.

In politics, Mr. Beattie is a Republican, and on all national questions votes with that party. In April, 1895, he was elected chairman of Florence township, which position he now holds. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is at present one of the elders of that body. Since coming to the county, he has been actively engaged in business, and has exerted considerable influence in public affairs. He is an enterprising and affable business man, one who enjoys the respect and has the confidence not only of his business associates, but of employes as well. While the county is in its infancy, there is no reason why it should not come to the front, and such men as S. T. Beattie will hasten that desired end.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

COSGROVE, MICHAEL

Michael Cosgrove, who does a general lumbering and jobbing business in Florence county, was born in 1848 near Ottawa, Canada, and is a son of Patrick and Mary (McAndrew) Cosgrove, also natives of Canada, who were early pioneers in their section. Patrick Cosgrove, who was a farmer opened up a farm in Canada, and died there in 1885, his wife surviving until 1887. They reared a family of nine children, seven of whom are now living, two residing in Wisconsin, namely: P.J., who is engaged in lumbering at Eau Claire, Eau Claire county, and Michael, whose name opens this sketch.
Our subject was reared and educated in Canada, and in 1864, at the age of sixteen, came from there to Menominee, Mich, engaging in lumbering for the different lumber companies. There he was united in marriage, in 1878, with Miss Mary Merton, who was born in New York, and they have had three children, as follows: Valeria M. and John Walter, living, and Stella, who died in 1893 in Oshkosh, Wis. The parents of Mrs. Cosgrove, Thomas and Mary (Murray) Merton, were very early settlers in Oshkosh, Wis., where they now reside.
In February, 1880, Mr. Cosgrove came from Menominee, Mich., to Commonwealth, Florence, Co., Wis., in which village he built the first house and kept a boarding-house. In 1881 he moved to Florence, Florence county, and engaged in cruising in timber. In 1882 he was elected assessor, and served two years; was again elected in 1887, and served continuously until 1894, also being engaged in lumbering and logging. Mr. Cosgrove is a member of Badger Tent No. 12, K.O.T.M. He is a Democrat in politics, and has held township office in Florence longer than any other man. He owns 240 acres of land in Florence township, Florence county, and employs ten or fifteen men in his lumbering and jobbing business and in taking out logs. He is one of the earliest settlers of Commonwealth township, and in 182 assisted in the organization of Florence county from Marinette county, having ever been actively identified with the progress and interests of his section

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

DAVIDSON, O.C.

O.C. Davidson, one of the representative business men of Florence county, and one who has been actively engaged in developing the great iron mines of that region, is a native of Fort Howard, Wis., born June 22, 1857. His parents were Thomas and Tobina Barent Davidson, natives of Norway, who came to Milwaukee, Wis., August 3, 1848, and two years later removed to Fort Howard, Wis. He was a carpenter and cabinet maker by trade, an occupation he followed, also for years running on the river. To Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Davidson were born seven children, of whom the following three are yet living: D.J. and Mary, of Green Bay, Wis., and O.C., the subject of this sketch. The parents are now living retired in Green Bay.
O.C. Davidson grew to manhood at Fort Howard, and in the schools of that place received his education. He entered the employ of the First National Bank at Green Bay, Wis., and there remained eight years and six months, after which, about 1882, he went to Norway, Mich., where he engaged in the mining business, in which he has since continued with little exception, having been for two years in the meantime in the Kellogg National Bank of Green Bay, Wis. He became superintendent of the Brier Hill Iron Mine at Norway, Mich., and in 1886 removed to Florence, Wis., having been made superintendent of the Florence Mining Co., which position he held until January, 1889, when he was made superintendent of the Commonwealth Iron Co. Since the establishment of the State Bank at Florence, in January, 1891, Mr. Davidson has served as its president; its cashier is E.E. Wilcox, and vice-president, P. McGovern.
In 1889 out subject was united in marriage, at Bessemer, Mich., with Charlotte S., the daughter of William E. and Elizabeth (Sargeant) Dickinson, who were natives of New York City and Boston, respectively; in their family were six children besides Mrs. Davidson, as follows: Edmond E., Harold, Frank, William W., Christine and Lucette; (William E. was abducted in 1882, when five years of age, and though big rewards have been offered, the family have never received any news of him). Mr. and Mrs. Davidson have had three children, namely: Ward F., Harold O. and Norman H. Mr. Davidson in politics is a Republican. He is chairman of Commonwealth township and chairman of the county board, which latter position he has held for four terms, since 1889, still serving in that capacity. The large enterprise of which he is superintendent has been in operation for fifteen years, and the total number of gross tons of ore that have been shipped from their mines from 180 to 1895, inclusive, are 1,637,897. They employ at present 300 men. The relations that Mr. Davidson sustains in an official capacity to the people of the county and township, and his prominence in the large mining company and banking house of Florence, evidence his standing in business circles and his popularity among his fellow townsmen. Mr. Davidson is a member of Washington Lodge, No. 21, F.& A.M., of Green Bay, and of Pochequette Lodge, No. 26, K. of P., Green Bay.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

FISHER, H.D.

H.D. Fisher, the founder of the city of Florence, came to this locality from Menasha, Wis., on a prospecting tour, in 1871. He traveled all through the Menominee range, and located the Florence mine in 1873, and discovered the Commonwealth mine in 1876. He began active mining operations in the Florence mine about the time of the building of the Chicago & North Western railroad, which made its survey in 1879, and completed the building of the road to what is now the city of Florence, October 14, 1880. On first coming to the place, Mr. Fisher took up 480 acres of government land, mining property, and on the lake 240 acres more. Later, he located twenty thousand acres of mining and timber land, between the years 1873 and 1876. From the first he has located in all about fifty thousand acres. In the spring of 1880 he and Menominee Mining Co. had surveyed and platted the present city of Florence, and on March 16, of that year, had the lots put on the market. The village was named in the honor of the wife of Dr. N.P. Hulst. Mr. Fisher, it may be said, located permanently in this in 1880, and owned a half interest in the fee of the mine, which he leased to the Menominee Mining Co. Since coming here he has built extensively, and some of the best buildings in the place have been erected by him, including the bank building, and Masonic Block, which were erected in 1889.
Mr. Fisher is a native of Vermont, born in Vergennes, August 27, 1832, and is a son of Hiram and Hannah (Champion) Fisher, who were also natives of the “Green Mountain State.” The father died in Vermont, in January, 1879, in his seventy-seventh year; his wife passed away in 1882, in her seventy-third year. They were the parent of four children: H.D., our subject; Cyrus (drowned in 1873, off Halifax), who was admitted to the bar in the high courts of London, and was a prominent member of the Cobden Club, and an attorney of some note in London; Laura (now Mrs. Silas E. Wright), of Rutland, Vt., and George P., who resides on the old farm in Vermont.
The subject of this sketch was reared in Vermont, and spent his boyhood and youth on the home farm. He was educated in the common schools of the State, and in early life learned the carpenter and joiner trade. At the age of twenty-one he came west to Oshkosh, Wis., but soon afterward went to Menasha, where he was engaged in general merchandise business for some years. In 1801 he sold out his store, and commenced in the insurance business, in which he continued for a time, or until coming to Florence. While in Oshkosh, however, he was engaged as clerk in the old Winnebago Hotel, winter, and as clerk on a boat in the Fox and Wolf rivers, during the summer season. While residing in Menasha, on January 31, 1861, Mr. Fisher was united in marriage with Miss Emily O. Keyes, who was born in Wisconsin, daughter of Capt. Joseph and Olive (Williams) Keyes, who were natives of Northfield, Vt., and who, in 1837, came to Wisconsin and located at Lake Mills, where Mr. Keyes built a saw and grist mill, laid out the town, and made it his home until 1853, when he moved to Menasha, built a sawmill, and made that his home until his death about the year of 1875. To Mr. and Mrs. Fisher have been born four children: Olive (now Mrs. Oliver Evans), of Iron Mountain; Katie (widow of E.J. Ingram), also of Iron Mountain; Nellie (wife of A.M. Pinto), of Omaha, Nebr.; and Laura, at home.
Fraternally, Mr. Fisher is a member of Fisher Lodge, No. 222. F. & A. M.; of Marinette Chapter, No. 57. R.A.M.; and of the United Workmen and Royal Arcanum. In the Masonic lodge he passed all the chairs, and was senior warden of the Grand Lodge in 1894-5. In politics he is a Republican, and served as postmaster at Florence from 1880 to 1887. Mr. Fisher is one of the best posted men of the northwest country, and there is hardly a foot of land in all the territory with which he is not familiar. In addition to locating the mines of Florence and Commonwealth, he also discovered the Armenia Iron Mine, east of Crystal Falls., Mich. His business interests have been very extensive, and , in connection with real estate, he is interested in the bank at Florence, and Commercial Bank of Iron Mountain, Mich. In the development of this section he has certainly been a very active man, and the credit for its prosperity is largely due to his efforts.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

HALLETT, C.A.

C.A. HALLETT, assessor of Florence, Florence county, was born April 10, 1852, in Hartland, New Brunswick, and is a son of Joseph and Elizabeth Smith Hallett, who were also born in New Brunswick, and were of English ancestry.

Joseph Hallett was a pilot on the St. John river, also owning a farm. He died in 1865; his widow still resides in New Brunswick. They had a family of eight children, six sons and two daughters of whom four sons one daughter are living, as follows: Ephraim Moses, Thomas, C.A., and Eleanor Jane (Mrs. Rideout), all residing in New Brunswick, except our subject.

C.A. Hallett was reared in New Brunswick, and educated in the schools of Hartland. In March, 1870, he came thence to Menominee, Wis., and engaging with the K.C. Company worked on the Menominee river, and in the woods as foreman in the camp for the company. He assisted in building Quinnesec, Mich., when in 1880 he came to Florence, Florence county and had charge of the New York Iron Company’s explorations for two years, after which he settled there permanently, and has been engaged in real estate, lumbering and cruising. On coming here he laid out the village of Commonwealth, and assisted in building the first few log houses.

On July 4, 1882, at Ripon, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., C.A. Hallett was united in marriage with Miss Imogene Crawford, who was born in Fond du Lac county, and they have had five children, namely: Clara Eleanor, Charles C., Hazel Murel, Ray, and Violet Hope. The parents of Mrs. Hallett, James and Catherine Ray Crawford, were born in Scotland, came to Wisconsin in an early day, and now residing at Green Lake, Green Lake Co., Wis. Mr. Crawford was a solder a soldier in the Nineteenth Wisconsin Volunteers during the war of the Rebellion, serving three years, eight months and seventeen days.

Mr. Hallett owns property in the city of Florence, also a farm of forty acres adjoining. He is a Republican in politics, and in 1895 was elected to his present incumbency, that of assessor. He assisted in organizing Florence county, and takes an active part in her welfare and the development of her resources.

-- Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

JUDGE, WILLIAM

WILLIAM JUDGE is one of the representative citizens of the city of Florence, where he has resided since May, 1880, at which time he came to this locality, and engaged in lumbering, by the month. In 1887 he embarked in the business for himself, and since that time has been remarkably successful. In the logging season he gives employment to from thirty to seventy-five men. He is a native of Milwaukee, Wis., born December 23, 1857, and is a son of Dennis and Margaret (Dawson) Judge, both of whom were natives of Ireland, and who in an early day left their native land, first locating in Canada, where they were married. From Canada they came to Wisconsin, and located in Milwaukee, from which place, in 1859, they went to the town of Franklin, Manitowoc Co. , Wis., where they settled in the woods, and opened up a farm. They there continued to reside until their death, the father dying in 1872, the mother in 1891. They reared a family of five children: James, who died in Milwaukee, Wis., in 1SS7; John, who resides in the city of Manitowoc, Wis.; William our subject; Margaret, now Mrs. Dougherty, of Omaha, Neb.; and Arthur, who resides in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The subject of this sketch was reared to farm life, spent his boyhood and youth in Manitowoc county. Wis., and received his education in the schools of the town of Franklin, in that county. While yet in his "'teens," he assisted in chopping out the right of way through the heavy timber, on the Chicago & North Western railroad from Menominee, Mich., to Escanaba. Mich. In 1880 he permanently located in Florence, being one of the first settlers of the place, has here since continued to reside, and has assisted in the organization of the count}'. He was sheriff of the county from 1890 to 1892.

Mr. Judge was married in 1S83, at Florence, Wis., to Mrs. Margaret Sullivan, a widow, who is a native of Scotland. In politics Mr. Judge is thoroughly independent, voting for such men and measures as he thinks will best advance the interests of his city and country. For fifteen jears he has been prominently identified with the interests of Florence county, and to him, as much as any other one man, is due the present thriving city of Florence, and the great improvement made in the county in wealth and population. He stands well in the community. never shrirks duty or responsibiliy, but will give of his money and time to the best interests of his adopted' city and county.

-- Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

LASELLE, CHARLES

Charles Laselle, a prosperous farmer of Florence township, Florence county, is one of the early pioneers of northern Wisconsin, and the oldest pioneer of Florence county, having settle where he now resides, at the junction of the Popple and Pine rivers, in the spring of 1868.
Our subject was born in Swanton, Franklin Co., Vt., July 10, 1832, and is a son of John P. and Caroline (Gove) Laselle, also natives of Franklin county, Vt., the former of whom was a farmer by occupation. He married Caroline Gove, and they had three children, of whom two are still living--Charles, the subject of this sketch, and Frances, who is married and resides in Wausau, Marathon, Co., Wis. Mrs. Caroline Laselle died in Vermont in 1841, and Mr. Laselle was again married, in that State, this time to Eliza Flint. In 1849, they came west to Wisconsin, settling Waushara county, near Hancock, and there John P. Laselle opened up a farm, on which he made a permanent home. He died in Plainfield, Waushara Co., Wis., in 1889; his wife Eliza had preceded him, having passed away at Hancock, in the same county, in 1884. They had three children, namely: William, who now resides in Plainfield, Wis.; Zachariah T., a farmer on the old homestead in Hancock township, Waushara county, and Alice, now Mrs. Bardwell, of Plainfield.
Charles Laselle received his education in the schools of Vermont, residing there until 1847, when he came to Wisconsin, locating in what is now Langlade county, then a part of Oconto county, near Eagle River, and engaged in working in the woods, which vocation he followed three years. The nearest town was Wausau. In 1859 he went to Forest county, then a part of Oconto county, where he engaged in hunting and fishing, and commenced trading with the Indians at Rice Lake. He was the only white man in the locality, and remained there until his removal to Florence county, of which he was the first white settle. As above stated, he located on his present farm, at the junction of the Popple and Pine rivers, in 1868. A partner, named A. Palmer, accompanied him to Florence county, engaging in trapping, and died here on the Pine river in 1871, having been hurt by falling with a canoe. Mr. Laselle conveyed the remains a hundred mile by dog sled and team to Embarras, Waupaca Co., Wis., where there were friends of the deceased, and buried him. Left alone by the death of Mr. Palmer, Charles Laselle followed trapping and hunting for years. In 1871, the year of his partner’s death, he took up a homestead of 160 acres, his present farm, on which there were no improvements, and he has since cleared over forty acres of the land, cutting the road out from his farm to Florence in the winter of 1879. First, he erected a log cabin, in which he lived until, in 1882, he built his residence, a story and a half frame, 18 x 26 feet. In 1886 he erected a good frame barn, 30 x 40 feet.
In July, 1881, at Marinette, Marinette Co., Wis., Charles Laselle was united in marriage with Mary E. Carpenter, who was born in Winnebago county, Wis., and they have four children, whose names and whose ages, at this writing (1895), are as follows: John, thirteen; Olive, eleven; Alice, nine; and Jesse, four. Mrs. Laselle was first married to Martin Weber. The father of Mrs. Charles Laselle, J.D. Carpenter, was born in New York, and was an early pioneer of Winnebago county, now residing in Clintonville, Waupaca county. He was a Union soldier in the war of the Rebellion, being a member of a Wisconsin regiment.
Mr. Laselle is engaged in general farming, and to some extent in stock raising. He was in this part of the country before the railroad by more than thirty years, came by boat on the Wisconsin river, and on the Pine river, brought provisions and supplies to his post winters and summers by dog-team and by boat, and established himself here when Florence was a part of Oconto. No one in northern Wisconsin is better known than Charles Laselle. His name is familiar in every household as the hardy pioneer who for twenty-five years lived in the northern country, only seeing a white man now and then, when some lumbermen called at his trading post. His companions for many years were the Indians and his gun, dog and dog-sleigh. Mr. Laselle votes with the Republican party, takes an interest in politics and educational matters, and is a member of the school board.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

LAUGESEN, ERIK P.

Erik P. Laugesen, hardware merchant of Florence, Florence, C., Wis., was born in 1858, in Denmark, and is a son of L.C. Eriksen, and Mary Eriksen (Sorenson), who were both born in Denmark. The mother died in 1876. L.C. Eriksen was a miller by trade. The family consisted of four children--one son and three daughters, namely: Erik P. is the subject of this sketch: Mariane, the wife of Peter Nielsen, the wife of Peter Nielsen, is living in Denmark; Core died in Denmark in her young age; Sorine is yet in that country. L.C. Eriksen, the father of Erik P., came to this country in 1890 to live his last day s with his son and is still there.
Erik P. Laugesen was reared in Denmark, educated in the schools if that country, and learned the trade of blacksmith, working at that some three and one-half years. In 1879 he embarked for the United States that landed in New York, thence taking the train to Philadelphia, Penn. From there he journeyed on foot to Chicago, Il., the journey taking seven weeks, from April 1 to May 18, and came to Rolling Prairie, near Laporte, Ind., got a job, and his first work in this country was farming. He worked at that till October, and then went to Chicago, where he worked some time in a lumber-year. But the lumber business stopped and starvation stared him in the face, however, he met a friend from Denmark, who lent him money enough to take him to Wisconsin.
The first place in this State he reached was Appleton, Outagamie county, and then went into the employ of the Milwaukee and Lake Shore Railway Co., who were then building the road to Wausau, Wis., to which place Erik P. followed up the job. He then went to New London, Wis., where he followed his trade for nearly two years, there working for John Friburger. From New London he went to Waupaca, Waupaca Co., Wis., where he also worked at his trade for P.A. House; in 1882 he established his own blacksmith shop at Ogdensburg, Wis., and later moved his whole works to Symco, Waupaca county, where he afterward went into the hardware business, which he sold out in 1887.
In September, 1882, Erik P. Laugensen was united in marriage at New London, Wis., with Miss Ane Maggie Nielsen, who was born in Denmark. Her parents, Christian and Cora Nielson, came to this country in 1872, settling in Wisconsin, where, in Deer Creek, Outagamie county, they bought a farm, and have since resided there. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Laugesen consisted of four children, namely: Mary, Laura, Emme and Christ. On July 25, 1895, Mr. Laugesen lost his beloved wife, who for thirteen years had been his true helper, a loving mother to her four children, and a most kind wife; she was thirty years old when she died.
In 1887 Mr. Laugesen engaged in a general mercantile business at Crandon Forest Co., Wis., and later, in December, 1890, sold out at that place, and moved to Florence, where he again embarked in the general hardware trade, with a small capital of not over $500, which he has since increased, so that at this writing he carries a stock to the value of from $5,500 to $6,000; he now buys for cash, and sells for cash. He handles farm machinery, shelf hardware, mining supplies, paints and oil. He devotes his entire time to his business, and speculates in nothing else. When he came to this country our subject borrowed his passage money from the man that learned him his trade in Demark.
Our subject is a Republican, politically, but holds no public office, nor seeks any, and he belongs to no secret order of any kind. He goes to the Christian Missionary Church in Florence, and believes in the Bible and in the works of God. He is recognized by all who know him as a thorough, practical, and self-made business man, and as such has the respect and esteem of the entire community. During his sixteen-years residence in Wisconsin he has naturally seen many of the changes and improvements which have taken place in that locality, especially in his own section.
--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

McGOVERN, PETER

PETER McGOVERN is of Irish extraction, his parents, Peter and Rose (McGovern) McGovern, beingnatives of Ireland, who in an early day emigrated to New Brunswick, Canada, and the father, who was a farmer, opened up a farm. Here they reared a family of ten children, namely: Thomas, a resident of New Brnnswick; Patrick, a resident of Walla Walla, Wash. ; Philip, who died in Long Island; Maggie, nowMrs. Kelley, of Marinette, Wis.; Peter; Rose Ann (Mrs. Fenton Hines), living in New Brunswick; Terrence, who died at Oconto, Wis., in 1878; Mary (Mrs. M. Clifford), of Mapleton, INfinn. ; John, livingin New Brunswick; and Bridget. The parents died in New Brunswick, the father in 1878, the mother in 1887.

Our subject was born June 29, 1847, in New Brunswick, and was reared on his father's farm, receiving such educational advantages as a farmer's children generally were given in that day and country. While yet in his 'teens " he went to the State of Maine, and was employed in the lumber districts; in 1868 he came to Wisconsin, first locating in the then small town of Oconto, and soon thereafter entered the employ of F. B. Gardner, who was in the lumber business at Pensaukee, with whom he remained five or six years. He then went to Oconto, where he became engaged in the lumber business, logging, locating pine lands, etc., at which place and in which occupation he remained for years.

In 1883 Mr. McGovern was united in marriage, at Oconto, Wis., with Miss Mary C. Keegan, daughter of John and Alice (Doyle) Keegan, the former of whom was born in Canada, where he still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Keegan had ten children, viz. : Samuel, who is a farmer in Keeganville, Oconto Co., Wis.; Martha, Mrs. Patrick Kinney, of Ontario, Canada; Mary C, Mrs. McGovern; Alice, living in Ontario; John and Robert, farmers in Ontario; Lizzie, also in Ontario; Thomas, who resides in New York State; Rose, making her home with Mrs. McGovern; and Edward, in Dakota. To Mr. and Mrs. McGovern was born oneson, Frederick, who is now ten years of age.

In 1884 our subject settled permanently at Florence, where he has since been actively engaged in the lumbering business in its different branches. He still deals heavily in lumber, selling his logs, as he never built any mills. He was one of the pioneer lumbering men in that district, including what is now Florencecounty, and by his tact, foresight and business ability has accumulated a large estate, being the possessor of from 10,000 to 20,000 acres of timberland.

Coming to this region when the country was new, he has witnessed the great transformation that has been brought about, and has been an actor in the scene himself. He is now actively engaged in real-estate dealing, handling farm and timber lands, as well as city property. Mr. McGovern is vice-president of the State Bank at Florence, of which place he is one of the leading citizens, ever taking an active interest in the growth and prosperity of the town, and is a genial and pleasant gentleman. Politically he is a Democrat

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

MILLER, T.C.

TC. MILLER has been agent at Marinette for the Chicago & North Western Railway Co. since June, 1895, and has been in that companys employ since he was sixteen years old, having commenced at Stambaugh, Michigan. Mr. Miller was bom February 2S, 1869, in Wenona, Marshall Co., 111., son of Josiah and Elizabeth (Hamilton) Miller. The parents were both born '\n Union county, Ohio, were married in their native State, and subsequently coming to Wenona, 111. , settled on a farm. In 1871 they moved to Washington, Tazewell Co., ILL., where Mr. Miller was engaged in the lumber business, in 1873 removing to Bloomington. ILL., and in 1874 to Paxton. ILL., where he carried on a lumber yard. In 1876 they returned to Marshall county, and, at Wenona. he engaged in the iron-bridge business. He is now running a locomotive on the Chicago. Burlington & Ouincy railroad, residing in Aurora, III. They reared a family of four children, all of whom are living, as follows: James Elmere, resides at Hartshome. Indian Ty. . being bookkeeper for the Choctaw Coal & Railway Co.; Samuel Fulton is general agent for the Chicago & North Western Railway Co. , and lives in Green Bay. Wis. ; Thomas Chelsea is the subject proper of this sketch; and Louisa, Mrs. J. A. Kuhn, lives in Chicago. Thomas C. Miller was reared in Illinois, and received his education in the schools of Wenona and Bloomington, also attending school at Richwood, Ohio, in 1882 and 1883. In 1S84 he went to northern Michigan, and from September of at rear until June. 1SS5, studied telegraphy under his brother at Nadeau, Mich., after which he commenced with the company in whose employ he has ever since remained. As before stated, his first position was at Stambaugh, Mich., where he remained from June, 1885, until July, 1887, being cashier and telegraph operator there. On July I, 1887, he went to Mastodon, Mich., opened the station there, and in September, 1887, was transferred to Commonwealth, Florence Co., Wis., where he also served as postmaster, continuing there until the following February. On February 1, 1888, he went to Iron River, Mich., in the same capacity, and in April, 1890, was removed from there to Florence, Florence Co., Wis., whence, in June, 1890, became to Marinette, Marinette county.

In 1894 Mr. Miller was married in Marinette, to Miss Alberta Norris, who was born in Stoughton, Wis., daughter of James and Harriet (Haven) Norris, who came from the East in an early day, settling in Wisconsin. Mr. Norris died in Milwaukee in 1891, and Mrs. Norris now makes her home in Marinette. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have one child—James Norris. Mr. Miller is a member of the M. E. Church, in which he holds the office of trustee, and he is actively interested in all religious movements, being a prominent member of the Y. M. C. A. in Wisconsin; he has been president since April, 1895, and in the same 3'ear was elected a member of the State Board at the State Convention held at Wausau, Wis. He is also well-known in fraternal circles, being connected with Marinette Lodge No. 182, F. & A. M. ; Marinette Chapter No. 52, R. A. M. ; Marinette Lodge No. 72, K. of P., and the Fraternal Alliance. He gives his political support to the Republican party

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

MOLLOY, J.W.

J.W. MOLLOY, sheriff of Florence county, was born in Russell county, Canada West, January 6, 1858, and is a son of Michael and Sarah (Downing) Molloy, who were born in Canada, where they now reside.
The father was a farmer by occupation. They had a family of six children, three sons and three daughter, as follows: Sarah, now Mrs. James, of Canada; Catherine, now Mrs. Freymier, of Toronto, Canada; Nellie, married, who is a resident of Cornwall, Canada; James, residing in Russell county, Canada; Michael, in Florence county, Wis., and J.W., whose name introduces this sketch.
J.W. Molloy was reared in Russell county, Canada, and educated in the schools of that country. In 1876, at the age of eighteen, he came to Marinettte, Wis., and drove logs on the river, working in the woods until his removal to Quinnesec, Mich. In September, 1880, he came from Quinnesec to Florence, Wis., when there were no roads here, built a livery barn, and was in the livery business one year. In 1882 he conducted a hotel at Crystal Falls Mich., then returning to Florence kept a restaurant and saloon. The barn which he had erected here was burned in 1888, and then he built his present barn. He has a fine stock of rigs, horses, buggies, etc., and has been interested in the livery business in Florence since the town was organized. He also owns eighty acres of land adjoining the city, and, in connection with his other interests, is engaged in lumbering and logging.
Mr. Molloy was united in marriage in 1885, at Ishpeming, Mich., with Mary Brenschen, who was born in that place, and they have had four children, namely: Clara, Sarah, Florence, and Howard. Mr. Molloy was the first man naturalized in Marinette county, and has seen the progress and growth of Marinette. He is a Republican in politics. For one year he was under sheriff of Florence county, in 1888 was elected sheriff, and was again elected in 1894, coming into office in January, 1895; he has also served two terms as supervisor. Socially he is a member of Fisher Lodge, No. 222, F.&A.M., and has held office in the Lodge

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

NOYES, CHARLES H.

CHARLES H. NOYES, on of the early settlers of Florence, Florence county, is engaged in the lumber business. He was born in 1845 in Oldtown, Maine, and is a son of Charles C. and Eunice Noyes, the former of whom is a member of one of the old families of New England. He was in early life a lumber man, and later engaged in mercantile pursuits. He moved to Berlin Falls, N.H., and now resides at Lancaster, N.H., where Mrs. Noyes died in 1892. He married Eunice Annis, and they had a family of four children, as follows: Charles H., the subject of this sketch; John B., who resided in Berlin Falls, N.H.; W.W., who is a merchant in Florence, Wis., and Holman, who resides at Lancaster, New Hampshire.
Charles H. Noyes was reared in Berlin Falls, N.H., and educated in the schools of that village. He followed lumbering in New Hampshire, and commencing an apprenticeship as a filer, afterward had charge, as head filer, of the Ottawa River Lumber Co. for Cushions & Sons. In 1867 he came from New Hampshire to Shiocton, Outgamie Co., Wis., where is was employed in the woods until 1876, when he engaged in the grocery business.
In 1879, at Hortonville, Outgamie county, Charles H. Noyes was united in marriage with Miss Mary True, who was born in Litchfield, Maine, and they have had five children, namely: George, Clayton, Frank, Chester, and Ida Jewell. The father of Mrs. Noyes, John A. True, was born in Maine, came to Milwaukee, Wis., in an early day, and later moved with in ox-team to a location near Hortonville, where he opened up a farm and had his home for years. Thence he removed to Shiocton, where he died in 1875.
In 1880 Mrs. Noyes came from Shiocton to Florence, arriving here on April 26, by stage from Quinnesec, Mich. He erected a store building, hauling the lumber from Quinnesec, and engaged in a general mercantile business under the firm name of Noyes, True, & Co., continuing thus on year, when in 1881, the firm became W.W. Noyes & Co. It was conducted under that name until May, 1888, when C.H. Noyes sold out his interest to his brother, W.W. Noyes. This store contained the second grocery stock in Florence. Since then C.H. Noyes has been engaged in the business of lumber jobbing, handling pine lumber. In political affiliation Mr. Noyes is a Republican. He assisted in the organization of Florence county, was the first under sheriff of the county, was elected sheriff in 1884, was under sheriff in 1893 and 1894, and has been constable several times. Socially he is a member of Badger Lodge, K.O.T.M., Tent No. 12. Mr. Noyes has been identified with Florence county since its organization, has seen its development, and has witnessed many changed in this part of Wisconsin during the past twenty-eight years.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

--The second trail of the assault and battery case instituted by Charles H. Noyes against F.W. Barker, principal of the Florence schools, who was charged with having too severly chastised the comlainant's 11-years-old son, Clayton Noyes, held before a jury, resulted in a verdict of acquittal.

--Wisconsin State Journal, November 29, 1899

OLIN, C.C.

C. C. OLIN, dealer in dry goods and notions, was born in Ohio in 1841, and remained there on a farm until fifteen years of age; he then taught school until twenty years of age, and married Miss Adelia A. Terrie, of Ohio. He went to Kansas and worked at carpenter work for five years, and then came to Wisconsin, and settled in Dane County. He was engaged in teaching school for five years; from there he moved to Outagamie County, Wis., and was engaged in teaching, farming, dealing in grain, etc., for seven years. He then came to Florence, Wis!, and engaged in the mercantile business, and now owns one of the best dry goods and clothing houses on the Upper Peninsula. He is a member of the Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Ancient Order of United Workmen, and has taken all the degrees. He is also Treasurer of the town of Florence.

--History of the upper peninsula of Michigan: containing a full account of its early settlement, its growth, development, and resources, an extended description of its iron and copper mines: also, accurate sketches of its counties, cities, towns, and villages ... biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers, 1883, Western Historical Co., Chicago; Western Historical Co.

POLDERMAN, ABRAM

ABRAM POLDERMAN, proprietor of the " Polderman House," Florence, came to that city in June, 1881, and erected a three-story frame hotel, 30 x 80 feet, with twenty-five sleeping rooms, together with parlor, office and fine sample room for commercial travelers. The hotel has no bar, but is elegantly furnished for the accommodation of guests. The dining room is thirty feet square, and the office 30 x 22, while the entire house is lighted by electricity, and the rooms supplied with hot and cold water. Florence is now recognized as a fine summer resort, and there is no better place in the entire Northwest for those afflicted with hay fever and catarrh, in which to spend a few months. The hunting and fishing are excellent, and the place is surrounded with fine lakes and delightful drives, with good springs of excellent water. The proprietor of the "Polderman House " keeps an excellent team for the accommodation of guests, and takes pleasure in showing them around, and catering to their wants. He owns a number of boats on Patten Lake and Half-Mile Lake. In the neighborhood can be found wild game of almost every kind, including deer, while in the waters of the lakes are fine bass and other fish. Mr. Polderman is a native of Holland, born at Middleburg, February i8, 1S3S, and is the son of Abraham and Martha (Skulewerf) Polderman, who were also natives of that country. The father, who was mate of a merchant vessel, died on the North Sea, when our subject was about one year old. For twenty-one years and two months he was in the employ of one company. Mrs. Polderman subsequently married Cornelius Blom, also a native of that country, and, in 1845, the family set sail from Rotterdam, were thirty-five days on the voyage from that place to New York City, and were also thirty-five days en route from New York to Sheboygan, Wis., coming through by canal and team. They located on a farm in the town of Holland, Sheboygan Co., Wis., and opened up a farm. Later they moved to Sheboygan Falls, where Mr. Blom died in 1S64. Mrs. Blom survived him some years, and died at Menasha, Wis., at the home of our subject. By her first marriage she was the mother of three children: Cornelius, who died in Wisconsin; Abram, our subject; and William, who married, but died at Sheboygan Falls in 1863, of quick consumption. By the second union there were four children: Henry, who resides at Sheboygan, Wis.; William, who was in the one-hundreddays' service on the Plains, and was accidentally killed at Menasha, Wis. , in 1866; Kate, who died in the town of Holland in i860; and Charlie, who owns a music store at Kalkaska, Michigan. When coming to this country our subject was seven years of age. He remained at home and was educated in the schools of Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, in the meantime assisting in clearing the home farm. In 1858 he went to St. Louis, Mo., where he worked in the brick yards, and then learned the moukler's trade. He next engaged in boating on the Mississippi, Ohio and Cumberland rivers, commencing as a deck hand, and becoming second mate. On the breaking out of the war, he was in the South, but escaped, walking 408 miles north. He came to Kenosha county, Wis., and first located at Union Grove, but soon after went to Sheboygan county, and worked in a hub and spoke factory at Sheboygan Falls. From the latter place he proceeded to Menasha, Wis., working in different factories, and later, in 1864, he went to Peshtigo, Wis. He was proprietor oi the Peshtigo Co.'s boarding-house for one year, 1876. Mr. Polderman was married at Sheboygan Falls. Wis., in 1863, to Miss Eliza TenDolle, who was born in Holland, daughter of John TenDolle, also a native of that country, who came to the United States and located at New Orleans, where he died. Her mother then came to Sheboygan county. Wis. , and lived with her son John ; she died there some years ago. There were nine children in the family, of whom four daughters are deceased ; the son and four daughters surviving are: John, who is a farmer in Sheboygan county ; Eliza, Mrs. Polderman ; Jane (widow of Mr. Wedepohl), who lives in Sheboygan, Wis.; Minnie, also living in Sheboygan, who is the widow of Mr. Wilterdinck, who was a large farmer ; and Delia, wife of Mr. Raymaker, a large farmer in Sheboygan county. Mr. Polderman removed from Peshtigo to Menominee, where for three years he conducted a boarding house for the Ludington. Wells & Van Schaak Lumber Co.

He then opened a restaurant in Marinette, later taking the " Dunlap House;" but after running that one year he sold out his interest and went to Quinnesec, Mich., and for a short time had a private boarding- house there. But he soon rented the Commercial Hotel"and later the "Quinnesec House," running both these hostelries some two years, after which he sold his interest there and came to Florence. Here he built the hotel of which he is now proprietor, the " Polderman House." He also owns a fine farm, and has other realestate interests, having city property in Sheboygan, Wis. In politics Mr. Polderman is a stanch Republican, but is not an office-seeker. He assisted materialljin the organization of Florence count}', and has been prominently identified with its business interests from the time of his arrival in 1880. Fraternally he is a member of Fisher Lodge No. 222, F. & A. M.; of Marinette Chapter No. 57, R. A.M., and of Florence Lodge No. 31, K. of P. Few men have been more active, and none are more highly esteemed.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

SIMON, JOHN

John Simon, an active and enterprising citizen of Florence, Wis., where he has resided since the spring of 1882, is a native of Denmark, born in 1853, and is a son of George and Catherine Simon, both of whom were natives of that country, where they yet reside.

Our subject was educated in the public schools of his native land, and at the age of sixteen came to the United States, locating at Escanaba, Mich., where he entered the employ of the Chicago & North Western Railway Company. From Escanaba he went to Oconto, and took charge of a flouring-mill at that place until he moved to Florence. On coming to that place he engaged in the hotel business, erecting the "Ludington Hotel," a three-story frame building with stone basement under the entire house, and continued in that business until May 1, 1895, in connection with other enterprises in which he engaged from time to time. In 1888 he put up four frame storebuildings adjoining the hotel, and in 1890 erected a large brick store-building. In 1888 he commenced in the general mercantile trade, in which he is still engaged, with Mr. Hillyer, under the firm name of Hillyer & Simon. For five years he was also engaged in the hardware business at that place. At present he is the owner of seven store-buildings and fourteen residences in Florence, together with a livery barn, store building, and one dwellinghouse in Commonwealth, Wisconsin.

In 1879 Mr. Simon was married atOconto, Wis., to Miss Sophia Stein, a daughter of John Stein, who was an early settler of Oconto, and who yet resides in that place. Three years later he removed with his bride to Florence, where, as may be readily inferred from what has already been written, he has been actively engaged. Coming to this country a poor boy of sixteen years, he has by his industry and enterprise placed himself in the front rank of the business men of northern Wisconsin. At the present time he is the largest taxpayer in the county of Florence. He was here at the organization of the county, and assisted in the preliminary work. In politics he is an active Republican, and has been chairman of the town of Florence. In addition to his other enterprises, he is now engaged in opening up a farm in the town of Homestead, one and three-fourths miles from Iron Mountain, to be known as the"Elmhurst Farm"; the Menominee river runs along its edges for three-fourths of a mile. Besides his interests here, he has a fine property in Menominee, Mich., a brick block, bought in April, 1895, and also owns large tracts of land throughout this part of the State. No man in Florence county is better known than John Simon, who, in the thirteen years of his residence, has done more to advance its interests than any other one man. He is a tireless worker, and is thoroughly interested in everything calculated to build up the country of his adoption, and especially the county of Florence.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

PELE, REV. PETER

REV. PETER PELE, pastor of the Church of St. John the Baptist, at Coleman, Marinette county, has, since entering the priesthood, had his field of labor in northern Wisconsin, having served various Churches and Missions in Florence, Waupaca and Marinette counties.

Father Pele is a native of " La Belle France," born in 1849 in Brittany, son of August and Ann (Beaudry) Pele, who were born in France and passed their entire lives in that country, the mother dying in 1884. Our subject was reared in Brittany, and there at St. Stanislaus College received his education. Having come to America, he in 1883 entered St. John's College, at Collegeville, Minn., from which he was graduated and shortly afterward was ordained by Bishop Katzer in the Cathedral at Green Bay, Wis. In 1889 he entered upon the duties of his first charge, at Florence, Florence county, and was next stationed at Lebanon, Waupaca county, where in addition to his regular duties he had charge of the missions at Manawa and Northport. Meeting with an accident there, however, he resigned his charge, and in 1891 came to Coleman, Marinette county, where he has since been pastor in charge, at first having also all the missions as far north as Amberg.

The Church of St. John the Baptist, at Coleman, Marinette county, was established as a mission in 1881, and the Congregation, then comprising but ten or twelve families, was served by Rev. John Seubert, of Peshtigo, where they had previously attended. From 1876 Father P. C. Menard, of Menominee, Mich., had also administered to the spiritual needs of the few Catholics here, and for a number of years mass was said in the schoolhouse, two miles east of Coleman. Father Seubert was succeeded by Father Renter, and he in turn, in 1882, by Rev. Charles Hoogstoel, from Stiles, Oconto county, who attended to the growing congregation for some years. Application was made to the Right Rev. Bishop Katzer to come and see to the building of a church edifice, and he, being unable to come, sent the Very Rev. Norc. Kersten. They were undecided in regard to the location, whether it should be at Coleman or three miles east; but a small church was finally erected between the two places, one mile east of the railroad station, at a cost of $300, under the supervision of Father Hoogstoel. The congregation continued to grow until the old church was found inadequate, and with the question of rebuilding the old question of location again came up. The West side was developing, and the Bishop decided that the church should be erected in the neighborhood of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad station. The first building collapsed while in process of construction, and one man was killed in the accident, but the work was resumed and the building was put up in 1889. At that time Rev. J. A. Sclbach had charge of the missions of Wausaukee and Coleman, and as far north as Michigan, having his residence at Wausaukee. At the time the present church was built three acres were given by John Baptist Belanger for a priest's house and church, and three acres by August Beaudry for a cemetery. In 1891, as above stated, Father Peter Pele became pastor, and on his arrival he found a debt of $1,493; but he has, by his untiring zeal and devotion to the interests of his congregation, placed the church in a most flourishing condition. In the year of his arrival he erected the priest's residence, a fine two-story frame dwelling, at a cost of $2,500; a fine main altar and two smaller ones have been added, and an organ has been purchased.

He also prosecuted diligently the work of completing the yet unfinished church building at Wausaukee, which at that time was not even plastered; under his efficient management, however, the work was completed, a steeple was erected and provided with a bell, the main altar and two smaller ones have been added, an organ has been purchased, and numerous other improvements made thereto. On June 17, 1895, the church steeple was struck by lightning. In 1890 a church fair was held, by which the sum of $556 was added to the treasury, and the congregation then agreed to be incorporated under the law of 1883, organizing December 1 with Sinai Brault, secretary, and Louis Dupuis, treasurer. The church now numbers about 125 families, including those at Pound, and Father Pele's labors are not confined to the people at Coleman and Pound, for he also says mass at Beaver, Ellis Junction and Wausaukee.

He has served various missions, at first having charge as far north as Amberg, and under his auspices the church at Amberg was erected from the foundations in 1893, and the same year was blessed by the Bishop. Father Pele is a member of the Catholic Foresters at Oconto.

When Father Pele came to the now flourishing village of Coleman it contained but three houses, and though his labors have been directed toward advancing the spiritual welfare of the community, he nevertheless has watched with interest the development of its material resources and the vast improvements which have been and are being made in this section.—[Since the above was written, Father Pele, exhausted by too much work, in October, 1895, fell sick, and was obliged to stay three weeks in St. Vincent's Hospital, Green Bay. After that time, his health improving, his Bishop offered him St.

Joseph's Church, West De Pere, Brown county, where he is now stationed, having charge there of St. Joseph's congregation.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

SIMPSON, CHARLES S.

Charles S. Simpson, county surveyor of Florence county, was born in 1857 in Buckfield, Oxford Co., Maine, son of D.F. and Sylira (Shaw) Simpson, who were also natives of Maine .

D.F. Simpson, who early in life was a brick manufacturer in Charlestown Mass., is now a farmer, and resides in North Turner, Maine. His wife died in 1873. They had a family of five children three ff whom are living, namely: Emma (Mrs. A.M. Bonney), of Buckfield, Maine; Ella (Mrs. Allen Phillips), of Shirley, Maine; and Charles S., the subject of these lines. William Simpson, father of D.F. Simpson, was in the war of 1812, serving in the navy, on board the “Portsmouth”. The father of Mrs. D.F. Simpson, Jesse Shaw, was born in Maine, and was a soldier in the was of 1812; he made his home in Maine throughout life.

Charles S. Simpson was reared in North Turner, Maine, there receiving his early education, and, in 1877, entered the State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts at Orono, Maine, belonging to the class of ‘80; he left at the close of the junior year, however, and engaged in surveying, also teaching school part of three years. In 1880 he was in Cardenas, Province of Matanzas, Cuba; in 1882 he came from North Turner to Florence, Wis., and has since been engaged in general surveying and civil engineering. He was assistant locating engineer on the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railroad in 1886; chief draughtsman of the E.I.M.&W. Railroad in 1889, ‘90, and ‘91; locating engineer for Murphy Co. Railroad since 1891, and locating engineer for the Quinnesec Narrow Guage Railroad since 1895.

Mr. Simpson is a member of the Lake Superior Mining Institute, a member of Fisher Lodge No. 222, F.&A.M., and in politics votes with the Republican party. He has been identified with Florence county since it was organized, has seen many changes since coming here in 1882, was appointed county surveyor in 1884, and has been elected every two years since.

--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

TOBIN, JAMES CAPTAIN

Captain James Tobin, now a farmer, residing near Florence, Florence county, enjoys the distinction of being a pioneer in what is now Florence county, and one of the earliest comers to the iron and lumber regions of that portion of Wisconsin and Michigan, with which interests he has been closely identified for nearly a third of a century, and in their development he has played a conspicuous part.
He was born in February, 1842, near Montreal, Canada, a son of Michael and Bridget (Moran) Tobin, natives of Ireland, who when young emigrated to Canada, where the father was a merchant. He died there in 1861, and the mother subsequently removed to the United States, locating at Florence, Wis., where she died in 1893. The children born to them were John, who was an early settler at Marquette, Mich., and subsequently settled at Florence, Wis., where is death occurred in 1885; Marian, who became Mrs. Pontbriand, and resides at Florence (her husband died in 1887), and James. The latter was reared in Canada, there receiving a common-school education. Before he was grown he left that country, and for a period was employed on sailing boats that plied between Boston and New Brunswick, and for two years, during the civil war, he was engaged in transporting troops on the James river, and through the South. In 1863 he went to Marquette county, Mich., where he was engaged in smelting ore, and had charge of a blast furnace until 1873; also at intervals during that period he was engaged in locating mineral and timber lands.
In April, 1869, at Marquette, Mich., Mr. Tobin was married to Miss Gertrude Le Claire, who was born in Canada, and a daughter of Michael and Zoe (Proulx) Le Claire, also natives of Canada , and who became pioneers of Marquette, Mich., and subsequently residents of Florence, Wis. He died there in 1889, and his wife, who survives, is still a resident of Florence. Our subject and wife have an adopted daughter, Belle Tobin. Mr. Tobin, from the year 1873 until 1877, was engaged principally in locating mining and timber lands. In April of the last named year he came to what is now Florence county, who lands were then in their primitive state, with little or no evidences of civilization, he having come to take charge of the explorations of the Commonwealth mining property. The mine had been located, and a few tests only had been made. No wagon road had been cut, and the surroundings were most primitive. Mr. Tobin opened up the mine and became its superintendent, which position he held until 1881. Subsequently he was occupied again in explorations in the mining and timber districts of Michigan and Wisconsin, locating mineral and timber lands, and later interested in the Merrick Lumber Company.
He is now engaged in dealing in real estate, and has interests in iron mineral lands throughout Michigan and Wisconsin. The Captain is now located on a beautiful and will-improve farm, which he himself made out of the wilderness and is enjoying the fruits of his earlier labors. He has under cultivation 160 acres and 240 in timber; is engaged in general farming, and raises small fruits--grapes, apples, etc. He is probably the oldest family in Florence county. He made the wagon-road to Twin Falls on the Menominee range, and there was then built the road from Quinnesec, which then gave an outlet--the first wagon road in Florence county. He has been identified with the growth of Florence county since its organization. In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of Negaunee Lodge, of Negaunee, Mich, of Marquette Chapter, R.A.M., and of the K. and P., at Negaunee A.O.U.W. Mrs. Tobin is a member of the Catholic Church.

-- Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

TULLY, T.C.

T.C. TULLY, of Florence, who was a Union soldier in the war of the Rebellion, was born in Wayne county, Penn., in 1842, and is a son of James and Mary Daily Tully, who were also born in Pennsylvania.
James Tully has always made his home in Pennsylvania, now residing in Wayne county. His wife died in 1890. They reared three children, namely: T.C., our subject; Frank, on a farm in Pennsylvania; and Margaret, widow of James McCabe, of Forest City, Penn. T.C. was reared in his native county, and educated in the schools there. In 1861 he enlisted, in Wayne county, in Company C, Sixth P.R.V., for three years or during the war, and was sworn into service at Harrisburg, Penn. He was in the battle of Dranesville, in the seven-day’s fight before Richmond, the second battle of Bell Run, at South Mountain, and Antietam; received a shell wound December 13, 1862, at the battle of Fredericksburg, and was taken prisoner, being paroled March 20, 1863, and sent to Annapolis, Md., where he was honorably discharged in the same year, and returned to Wayne county, Penn. After his return from the war Mr. Tully learned the trades of carpenter and millwright.
In 1868, in Pennsylvania, he was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Foote, and they had the following children: May, who resides at Crystal Falls, Mich.; Nettie, also a resident of Crystal Falls, teaching in the public schools there; Kate, in Florence; Wayne, in Crystal Falls, and Leonard, in Florence. In 1871 Mr. Tully came from Preston, Wayne Co., Penn., to Oconto, Oconto Co., Wis., and assisted in putting up the Orr mill, as well as the Anson Eldred mill, and the A.C. Coon mill at Little Suamico, Oconto county. He helped build the mill at Stiles, in the same county, continuing to follow he trade of millwright until he came to Florence, in 1889, here building a hotel, called the “Avenue House,” 30 x 70 feet in dimensions. In 1882, he built the Tully Opera House, 30x 94 feet, at the corner of Main and Cyclops streets, the lower portion of which is used as a drug store and doctor’s office, and the total length is 120 feet.
Mrs. Margaret Tully died in Florence in 1887, and Mr. Tully was again married, this time in Florence, to Miss Eliza Abel, who was born in Wisconsin, and they have had two children: Zella and Arla. The father of Mrs. Eliza Tully, George Abel, was one of the early settlers of Florence, were he now resides.
The “Avenue House” burned in September, 1888, and in that year Mr. Tully built his residence and livery stable. He as in the saloon business from 1880 till 1894, is interested in the livery business, owns a fine summer resort at Spread Eagle Lake, in Florence county, and has there a two-story frame hotel, known as the “Eagle Island Club House, “ which was built in 1892, and can accommodate a large number of guests. There are sail and rowboats, fishing is excellent, and game in season is plentiful. Mr. Tully now looks after his summer resort at Spread Eagle Lake and his Opera House. Politically, he votes with the Populist party, and, socially, is a member of Dupont Post No. 268, G.A. R., of which he is past commander. He is one of the oldest settlers in the locality, and assisted in the organization of Florence county.
--Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

UTKE, J.E.

J.E. UTKE is the most extensive contractor and builder of Marinette, and on all sides are buildings which stand as monuments to his enterprise, skill and business ability. He is numbered among the most esteemed of Wisconsin's native sons.

His birth occurred in .Manitowoc county, December 28, i860, and his parents, William and Ernestine (Zetlow) Utke, were natives of Prussia. Their marriage was celebrated in that land, and in about 1853 they emigrated to the New World, locating in Milwaukee, Wis. In 1855 they became residents of Manitowoc county, their home being in the midst of a forest, where the father erected a brush shanty and began the development of a farm, continuing its cultivation until he now has a valuable property, upon which he and his wife are still living. They have reared four children: Anna, wife of A. Bruce, a resident of Peshtigo, Marinette Co., Wis.; Theodore, who is living on the old homstead; J. E., subject of this sketch; and Ernestine, wife of Jacob Brockmann, of Hilbert, Wisconsin. Mr. Utke, whose name introduces this review, was reared by an uncle in Rock Island, ILL., and acquired his education in its public schools. He learned the trade of carpentering in his native city, and in 1880 went to Menominee, Mich., where he was employed on government work. The following year he went to Florence, and took charge of the carpenter work in connection with the Florence mine, where he continued until 1883. In the fall of that year he turned his attention to bridge work, and in 1884 he came to Marinette, where he had charge of the bridge work of the Chicago. Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, the Chicago & North Western, and the "Soo" road, building the wooden bridges for these roads. His thorough knowledge of the business, his excellent workmanship, and his faithfulness to the interests cf the companies continued his service in their employ until 189 1, when he resigned in order to engage in general contracting. He now furnishes employment to twenty-five or thirty men, the largest force engaged by any one contractor in the city. He now has the contract for the erection of the new Marinette Hotel," on which he began operations January i, 1895. It is a sixty-three room building, erected in a modern style of architecture, at a cost of $75,000. He also had the contract for the Park schoolhouse, $25,000. also an $8,000 addition to the Union school, and he has done all the carpenter work in connection with the schools for the past four years. He also erected the McAlpine residence valued at $7,000, the McDcrmott residence ($2,500), the McAllister home ($3,800). the Methodist Episcopal parsonage ($4,000), the Porterfield Block ($12,000). the Kedling flats ($4,000). and many other of the finest buildings of the city.

Mr. Utke was married in Florence in 1883 to Miss Mary V'anAble, a native of Oconto county. Wis., and a daughter of John VanAble, of Oconto City. They now have an interesting family of five children—Charley, Bertha, Raymond. Minerva and Gracey. Socially, Mr. Utke is a member of Lodge No. 72. K. P., and the Turnverein. He is a reliable, straightforward business man whose success in life is largely attributable to his faithfulness to every trust reposed in him. to his energy and to his capable management.

He has persevered in the pursuit of a persistent purpose, and gained a most satisfactory reward. His life is exemplary in all respects, and he has the esteem of his friends and the confidence of those who have business relations with him.

-- Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

VANIER, REV. CHARLES

REV. CHARLES VANIER, pastor of the Church of the Immaculate Conception at Florence, Florence county, was born, in 1865, in Paris, France, and is the son of Etienne and Melanie ( Vivierj Vanier.

The Vanier family was originall}- from Burgundy, and settled in Paris in 1702. Etienne Vanier, who was a traveling agent, engaged in selling goods, and was killed in a railroad accident in 1866. He married Melanie Vivier, and they had one child, Charles, the subject proper of this sketch. Mrs. Melanie Vanier was married again, in 1873, in Paris, France, to J. Muller. a well-known composer of music in that city, and they have two children, namely: Georges, an officer in the French army, stationed in Senegal; and Jeanne, who is studying in the Conservatory of Music in Paris, France. Rev. Charles Vanier was reared in Paris, received his education in the college of the Immaculate Conception, conducted by the Jesuit Fathers in that city, and graduated in 1882. He then entered the Seminary of the Holy Ghost for the study of theology, and after finishing his course came to New York City, in August, 1887, where he was engaged in teaching for two years. On August 25, 1889, he was ordained by the Right Rev. Bishop Laughlin, at Brooklyn, and remained in that city a few weeks. In September, 1889, he came to Delwich, Union town, Door Co., Wis., as pastor of Our Lady of the Snow Church, remaining there until his removal to Florence, his work being in Wisconsin. He came to Florence from Union township October 20, 1893, taking pastoral charge of the Church of tlie Imninaculate Conception. This church originated in a mission there, conducted by Father G. Brady, and later by Father Seubert, who was instrumental in securing the construction of the church building, which was erected and dedicated in 1882. Father Leccia came in September, 1883, and remained as pastor until 1889, in September of which year Father Pele came, remaining until January, 1S91, when he was succeeded by Father Rogers, who continued as pastor until October 20, 1893, when Kev. Charles Vanier took charge, and has since been pastor. Father Vanier has built up an extensive interest in church matters, is making additions to the church edifice, has inaugurated repairs, and is building a sacristy. The church now numbers ninety- two families, of whom twenty are Irish, ten of mixed nationality, and the remainder French-Canadian. The property consists of the church and parsonage. Father Vanier is a member of the Oconto branch of the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin is possessed of a fine education, and is social and pleasant, and a thorough gentleman. Since the above was written Father Vanier was transferred, October 8,1895, to Stiles, Oconto county, to which place two missions are annexed.

-- Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

WARING,  FRANK  

Frank Waring , postmaster at Florence, Florence county, was born, in 1861, in Lebanon, Ill., son of Thaddeus R. and Hester C. (Waterbury) Waring, who were of New York and Connecticut, respectively.Thaddeus R. Waring died in Mobile, Ala., and Mrs. Waring now resides in Noroton, Fairfield Co., Ccnn. They reared a family of five sons, all living, namely: Frederick,of Connecticut; Charles W., of Waltham, Mass.; Henry F., postmaster at Noroton, Conn.; Frank, whose name opens this sketch; and William G., who resides at Noroton, Connecticut.

Frank Waring, who is the fourth son in his father's family, was reared in Connecticut, receiving his education in the schools of Noroton, and in 1881 came from there to Commonwealth township, Florence Co., Wis. For five years he was in the employ of the Commonwealth mine, and was then elected town clerk of Commonwealth, holding that office two years. In 1887 he located at Florence, Florence county, where in the same year he was united in marriage with Miss Emma Sherman, who was born in Portage, Columbia Co., Wis., and they have had three children: Eleanor, A. Frances and Winifred. The parents of Mrs.Waring, H. I. and Anna (Fardell) Sherman, were early pioneers of Wisconsin ,and came to Florence, where Mrs. Sherman now lives. H. I. Sherman residesin Milwaukee.

In 1887 Mr. Waring was appointed clerk of the court, to fill a vacancy, and was subsequently elected three times, continuing in that offlce seven years. For four years he was town clerk of Florence township, and on March 23, 1893, was appointed postmaster at Florence, in connectionwith the duties of which office he also does a small law business. The post office at Florence was established in 1879, H. D. Fisher being the first postmaster. It was a third-class office up to July, 1895, since when it has been a fourth class office, in fact, since its inception it has changed from third to fourth grade at various times. Mr. Waring has also held other public positions, having served as circuit clerk, township clerk, etc. In politics he is a Democrat, and socially he is a member of Fisher Lodge No. 222, F.& A. M., having been made a Mason in1885, and has b een secretary for nine years; he is also a member of Badger Tent, No. 12, K. O. T. M., and was commander in 1894. Mr. Waring has been identified with Florence county for years, and has seen many changes in this part of Wisconsin.

-- Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

YOUNGS, GEORGE C.

George C. Youngs, editor and proprietor of the Mining News, Florence, Florence County, was born September 17, 1850, in Union City, Branch Co., Mich., and is a son of M.L. and Charity Strong Youngs, who were born in New York State and came in an early day to Branch County, Michigan.

M.L. Youngs is a very prominent man. He is a Masonic Grand Lecturer for Wisconsin, and has been for thirty years; is associated in the publication of theMasonic Tidingsat Milwaukee. He married Charity Strong, and they had four children, namely: Lina, who was the wife of Capt. Wilson Vance, and died in 1871 at DePere, Wis.; Nettie, now Mrs. W.P. Kenny, of Milwaukee, Wis.; Fred M., who resides in Omaha, and is superintendent of the press rooms of the Omaha Bee,first vice-president of the Pressmen’s National Association, and interested with George C. in the Mining Newsat Florence; and George C., who was the second child in the family, and is the subject proper of these lines. M.L. Youngs has resided in Milwaukee since 1856. His wife, Charity, died in 1861, and he was married again in Milwaukee, this time to Louise Gordon.

George C. Youngs was reared in Milwaukee, educated in the public schools of that city, and after leaving school was a steward on the lakes through the season of navigation, working at the printer’s trade in Starr’s job office in Milwaukee in the winter, and for some time was employed on the oldMilwaukee News . On July, 5, 1871, he was united in marriage in Milwaukee, with Jennie Williamson, and they have had four children, all sons, as follows: Melvin P., formean of theMarquette Mining Journal; Wilson C., raiway mail clerk from Appleton to Antigo, Wis.; Merwin W., attending high school; and Chase O. at school.

Mr. Youngs commenced as compositor on the Evening Wisconsin in 1872, held cases on that paper for ten years, until 1882, was engaged as a reporter until 1887, in which year he resigned and came to Florence, Wis., where he has since been connected with theMining News. This paper was founded in 1880 by J.F. Atkinson, continuing under his management until 1883, and then passing into the hands of Osborn & Toner. About 1885 Chase S. Osborn became sole proprietor, and in 1887 the paper was purchased by Campbell & Youngs, the Youngs Brothers becoming proprietors in 1888, since when George C. Youngs has been editor and manager. The Mining News is provided with the latest equipments, is the official paper of the county, independent of politics, and has an extended circulation.

Since coming here, in 1887, Mr. Youngs has seen quite a change in this part of Wisconsin. He is a member of Fisher Lodge, No. 222, F. & A.M., has been W.M. of the Lodge, and is now Senior Warden; he is also a member of Badger Tent, No. 12, K.O.T.M., and commander in 1890 and 1896.

-- Commemorative Biographical Record of the West Shore of Green Bay, Including the Counties of Brown, Oconto, Marinette, and Florence, J.H.Beers & Co., 1896

 

 

 

 

 

 

HOME

This Web Page Created with PageBreeze Free HTML Editor