Florence County, Wisconsin
Florence County, Wisconsin
HISTORY OF LONG LAKE
The first settlers came to Long Lake in 1900. In 1905 the Chicago and Northwestern was built from Long Lake to Scott Lake. People logged and farmed for a living. Art Leader had the first sawmill, which was near Fay Lake. The Goodman Lumber Company had the principal logging concern at that time.
The first school was built in 1908. John Elmer was the teacher.
Right from its beginning Long Lake was a logging region. It separated from the township of Florence in 1913.
--Heritage of Iron & Timber, 1880-1980, Published for Florence County, Wisconsin, under the direction of The Florence County Centennial Committee, 1980.
Like so many towns, villages, settlements of Norther Wisconsin, Long Lake, too, owes its founding to timber.
It owes its name to the lovely long lake that borders the town to the west.
The year was 1900, and the State of Wisconnsin had just completed a long stretch of Hwy. 139, which now connected Cavour, Wis., with Scott Lake, Mich. Attracted by timber jobs and farming, people began arriving in Long Lake at the turn of the 20th century.
Some of them worked at Art Leader's sawmill at nearby Fay Lake. Some of them worked for the Goodman Lumber Company, the preeminent concern of the day.
The town was once part of Florence township, but separated from its large eastern neighbor in 1913.
With timber needed to build the great cities of America, early Long Lake boasted a host of logging companies: The Leuder Co., Kingston Co., Menominee Bay Shore Co. and Hale Melrae Co. Over the years, the town developed a thriving little Main Street along the highway. Long Lake supported a school, churches, hotels and one of the best baseball teams around, which competed with Laona, Rhinelander, Crandon, Spruce and Wabeno.
Some of the first families to settle the area include the McGornes, Johnsons, McCutchens, Daigles, Smiths, Brooks, Haladas and Roberts.
The Town of Long Lake is home to several fine lodging establishments, including the historic Fay Lake Resort, which was established in 1924 with nine of its cottages cribbed over water. The resort is still open and retaines much of the cahracter of those early years.
Back in 1933, the population of Long Lake stood at 319. As the great timber concerns of the early 20th century gradually silenced their saws, jobs dried up and the population declined. It stands today at 157. Several years ago, Pine River Lumber in Long Lake pulled stakes, leaving forest-rich Long Lake without a single timber-related company. That situation changed just recently, however, with the opening of Long Lake Lumber Company alond Hwy. 139.
The township is situated amid many square miles of National Forest, and encompasses Halsey Lakes and remost Lost Lake, which hosts boating, nature trails, National Forest camping and a recently remodeled former CCC camp with cabins for rent.
Through the hard work of its Fire Department volunteers, Long Lake hosts Florence County's largest Indepence Day celebration with a festive parade and family friendly carnival.
As it has through the years, Long Lake remains a lovely place to live and recreate. It boasts excellent fishing lakes, a well-stocked general store, and lively tavern and restaurants. The town acts as headquarters for the Big 4+ Sportsmen's Club, one of the area's best-known ambassadors for the shooting sports.
--Florence County Chamber of Commerce, 2013 Visitor Guide
Long Lake in the News
This Web Page Created with PageBreeze Free HTML Editor