John Thomas Baxter
John Thomas Baxter is a lawyer practicing his profession at Minneapolis. His father, Thomas Baxter, was a miller, and was engaged in that business at Bangor, Wisconsin, at the time of his death in 1875. His mother's maiden name was Susannah Lewis. The subject of this sketch was born at Berlin, Wisconsin, October 14, 1863. He began his education in the common schools and attended the high school at West Salem, Wisconsin, walking back and forth, the distance of five miles, each day. In this way he made his preparation for college. He began his college course at Ripon, where he continued for three years. During his stay at Ripon college he earned his living as express messenger for the American Express Company, having a "night run," which took him away from home in the evening, brought him back in the morning, and thus enabled him to attend the college exercises in the day time. Mr. Baxter excels as a speaker, and represented his college in the Wisconsin state oratorical contest in his junior year. He took the first honors, and, therefore, represented Wisconsin in the interstate oratorical contest, held at Iowa City, in the spring of 1884. The same year he was elected president of the Wisconsin Collegiate Association. The course of study pursued by him was the classical, including Greek. At the end of his junior year he decided to drop out of college for a year and then finish his course at Williams College, to which he was attracted by the celebrated Dr. Mark Hopkins. He entered the junior class at Williams in 1885, and while there he was member of the Delta Upsilon fraternity, which was the oldest college society at that institution, and the chapter to which Garfield had belonged. He was elected editor of the Williams Literary Monthly, and received the first junior prize in oratory. In his senior year he won the Graves prize for an essay on "The New Political Economy." At graduation he was awarded the Van Vechten prize, given at each commencement to that member of the graduating class, who, by a vote of the faculty and students, is declared the best extempore speaker of the class. This distinction was won in a class of sixty-six members. But the incident of his college course which possesses the most interest for Mr. Baxter, was the fact that he was the last student who ever recited under the venerable Dr. Mark Hopkins. It was a recitation in moral philosophy. Dr. Hopkins died just before the commencement at which Mr. Baxter graduated. Mr. Baxter came to Minneapolis in 1887, and began the study of law with Kitchel, Cohen & Shaw, and was admitted to the bar in 1889. He has been in active practice since 1890, and has been the secretary of the Minneapolis Bar Association since February, 1892. In politics he is a Republican, but is independent enough to vote for measures and men without much regard for party lines. He is a member of Park Avenue Congregational church. October 14, 1891 he married Gertrude Louise Hooker, daughter of William Hooker, of Minneapolis, and niece of the late Judge Hooker. They have two daughters, Beth and Helen. [Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]
BAXTER John T, Minneapolis. Res 4601 Fremont av, office 1105 Nicollet av. Lawyer. Born Oct 15, 1862 in Berlin Wis, son of Thomas and Susanna (Lewis) Baxter. Married 1891 to Gertrude Hooker. Graduated from Williams College Williamstown Mass A B 1887. Has practiced law 1890 to date; sec Minneapolis Bar Assn 1892-1905; gen counsel N W National Life Ins Co Minneapolis. Member Minneapolis Commercial and Six O’clock clubs; and American Bar Assn. [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore]
Orrin W. Bow
ORRIN W. BOW (Dem.), of Kingston, was born in Pittsfield, Mass., September 26, 1826; is a farmer by occupation; came to Wisconsin in 1844 and settled at Janesville, removing to Kingston in 1846; has been chairman of town board for twenty-seven years and was elected member of assembly in 1859 and 1877, and was elected for 1883, receiving 1,087 votes against 1,059 for C.D. McConnell, republican, 232 for L. D. Knox, prohibitionist, and 15 for M. McCracken, greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) page 492; transcribed by Tammy Clark]
Joseph B. Boyd
HON. JOSEPH B. BOYD occupies a prominent place as a well-to-do and progressive merchant and citizen of Langdon, Cavalier county. He was born in Peterborough county, Canada, near the town of Peterborough, October 7, 1852. Mr. Boyd was reared in his native place and educated in the public schools and the schools of the neighboring town and after completing his education was employed as a clerk in a mercantile establishment for some five years after which he followed farming four years, assuming charge of his father's farm, his father having died while our subject was engaged in clerking. He went to Michigan and settled at Scottsville, east of Ludington, and remained there two years, and then removed to North Dakota in the spring of 1887 and was employed in mercantile establishment at Devils Lake and remained in that capacity about six months. He came to Langdon in August, 1887, and engaged in the mercantile business with Robert Cairns, of Devils Lake, under the firm name of Boyd and Cairns, and they continued together about five years, when Mr. Cairns was killed in an accident near Bartlett, on the Great Northern Railroad. Mr. Boyd then assume control of the entire business, and has continued sole proprietor. He enjoys a liberal trade and carries a complete line, and also owns a general store in Hannah, which he successfully operates. He also owns a farm of five hundred and sixty acres adjoining the city of Langdon and owns and operates a cheese factory at Langdon, and is one of the substantial business men of the county. Our subject was married in Campbellford, Ontario, to Miss Emma Kelly. Mrs. Boyd died in Peterborough county, Ontario. One child was born to this union, named John J. Mr. Boyd was married to Miss Gertrude S. Gogin, a native of Berlin, Wisconsin, in the town of Berlin. One son has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Boyd, named Richard D. Our subject has taken an active interest in the welfare of his community since taking up his residence in North Dakota, and was elected to the state legislature in the fall of 1896 on the Fusion ticket and served one term. He was mayor of Langdon four years, and was the first city treasurer, and in each capacity served faithfully and well. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
David W. Carhart
BERLIN - Men are known by their works, the poet by his, and the artist and the manufacturer by theirs. The same is true of David W. Carhart. The "Golden Sheaf," the name of his mill and of the common brand of his flower, has made his name a household world among the flour dealers of the New England and Middle States. He is a native of New York City, the son of John W. and Margaret Ann (Reynold) Carhart, and was born June 22, 1828. He attended the graded school of New York City until fifteen years of age, at which time he went into a wholesale dry-goods house and sold goods three years. Removing to Chicago with his father in 1846, he continued merchandizing two years, and removed to Waupun and sold goods until 1851, when he settled in Berlin. There he built a saw-mill with his brother-in-law, Nathan H. Strong, and operated it with him until Mr. Strong died, in 1853. He afterward continued the manufacture of lumber with other parties until 1859, and then bought an interest with Mr. E. Reed in a general variety store. After two years he suffered a loss of his business by fire, and next built a flouring mill on the site of the old saw-mill, and is still doing business on the same spot, though in a larger and finer mill, rebuilt with brick a few years ago. This mill has all the latest improvements for renovating and purifying, and makes a brand of flour second in quality to none manufactured in the State. Mr. Carhart is a perfect master of the art of making flour, the result of years of study and careful experimenting. The firm name of the parties owning the "Golden Sheaf" Mills, is Carhart, Wright and Co., Mr. Carhart having a two-thirds interest. His partner is Stillman Wright. They manufacture about forty thousand barrels annually, a large part of which is sold by telegraphic orders. Their correspondence is simply enormous, and it is safe to say that no flour manufacturers in the West are better known or have a better reputation than this firm. Mr. Carhart is strictly a business man; he has dealt somewhat in real estate, but is best and everywhere known as a manufacturer.
In politics he is a republican, though in 1872 he supported Horace Greeley for the Presidency. He is not, however, a politician, and gives little attention to politics, more than to perform his duties as a citizen. He has been a very efficient member of the school board for several years, but avoids taking office when he can, consistently with duty to the public. As a business man he has no superior in Berlin. Mr. Carhart is a member of the Congregational church, and casts his influence all on the side of good morals. His wife was Miss Harriet Wright, of Berlin, their marriage dating September 6, 1853. They have lost one child, and have two daughters living who are members of the Berlin High School. Mr. Carhart has erected a number of buildings in Berlin, and is thoroughly enterprising and public spirited; and probably the services of no man in building up the city are more heartily appreciated than are his. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
David F. Clark
CLARK David F. Minneapolis. Res 2110 Bryant av S. office 300 Lumber Exchange. Lumber. Born Oct 1, 1883 in Berlin Wis. Son of James and Elonor (Sloan) Clark. Married Dec 25, 1897 to Mary Sears. Educated in public schools Eureka Wis. Engaged in lumber business as member of firm of Osborne & Clark 1885 to date; pres Bank of Dallas Wis; stockholder State Bank of Ladysmith Wis; dir National Hardwood Lumber Assn 2 years; member executive committee 1 year; grading committee 9 years. Member Wis Nat Guard 3 years. Member Minneapolis Commercial Club; Masonic order and Shrine. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger]
N. M. Dodson, M.D.
BERLIN - Dr. N Monroe Dodson, who has long been a medical practitioner in Wisconsin, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in the town of Huntington, Luzerne County, July 26, 1826. His parents were John and Sephrona (Monroe) Dodson, well-to-do-farmers. He worked at farming until about eighteen years old, and then attended the Berwick Academy a few terms, teaching during the winter months. In 1846 he commenced studying medicine in his native county, and after moving to Madison, Wisconsin, in 1849, there continued the same. He attended lectures in the medical department of the Iowa University, from which he graduated in June 1850. He practiced one year in Madison, Wisconsin, and in 1851 settled permanently in Berlin. Here, for more than a quarter of a century. Dr. Dodson has been in the general practice, and has gradually built up a most enviable reputation for professional care, skill and success. Desirous of keeping pace with the progress of medical and surgical science, he has absented himself from home for a short period of time on two occasions, attending lectures in the Cincinnati Medical College and the Bellevue Hospital College. No one is more conscious than he of the importance and benefits of such episodes in medical and surgical practice. During the last fifteen years Dr. Dodson has sold drugs in connection with his profession, and has one of the largest stores in Berlin. He is both a Mason and Odd Fellow, but not active in either order. The same is true of him in politics. He votes the republican ticket, but never allows political matters to interrupt his professional duties. He did, however, at one time accept of the office of city superintendent of schools when it was urged upon him, and discharged its duties faithfully for a few years, the only civil office of any importance that he would ever consent to hold. Medical practice he has long aimed to make his sole pursuit; hence his success and high standing.
The wife of Dr. Dodson was Elizabeth Abbott, of Cayuga County, New York. They were married September 1, 1857, and have two children.
Dr. Dodson has fine literary tastes and an investigating mind. He does all he can to encourage mental culture and scientific research on the part of his neighbors, and is the leading man in Berlin in securing literary lecturers from season to season. His heart is in all educational enterprises, and his public-spiritedness and generous support of all matters pertaining to the public welfare have won for him universal respect and esteem. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Capt. David Evans
Capt. David Evans, one of the United States Revenue Marines, and a pioneer of the city of Berlin, whose portrait appears on the opposite page, was born on the 4th of July, 1817, in Merionetshire, North Wales, and is a son of David and Ellen (Roberts) Evans, who, were also natives of the same country, and were descended from families of long established worth and high respectability. Our subject attended school at Harlich, a seaport town of his native county, and when fifteen years old, some time in the spring of 1832, went to sea. He served the most of his apprenticeship on the "Swallow," of Carnarvon, sailing between Liverpool, Bangor, Carnarvon and New York in the emigrant trade. In 1837, when in his twenty-first year, he took command of a vessel sailing in the merchant service between Europe and America, and in 1840 built the "Gwen (or Winnifred) Evans," which was the first three-masted ship built in the principality of Wales. It sailed principally between Europe and Boston during the summer, making a voyage in the winter to some port on the Mediterranean Sea. On the 15th of December, 1844, that vessel was lost on Point Eunostus, or rather on an outline reef off that point, and just outside of the harbor of Alexandria, Egypt. The lighthouse, which had stood there from the time immemorial, had been removed a few weeks previous to the misfortune, and no public statement made of it. On his return home, in 1845, Capt. Evans, at the owner's request, went to Holland to rescue a valuable ship which had been stranded near Texel. He succeeded admirably in his mission, rescuing the vessel, named the "Jane and Eliza," that for fourteen years was classed A. 1 at Lloyd's. Next he commanded the ships "Northumberland" and "Oregon." In 1847 the latter took 4,000 bales of cotton from New Orleans, and drawing eighteen feet of water stuck on the bar in the Southwest Pass. After several days' detention she was extricated, and proceeded to Liverpool. This was said to have been the heaviest cargo of cotton ever taken from the Crescent City to Europe in those days. In the latter part of 1849 Capt. Evans, becoming tired of the "Oregon," negotiated for the bark "Jane Tudor," which had been newly built in Bath, Me., and which was but a few hundred tons smaller than the "Oregon." He fitted her up in elegant style, with all modern improvements, and chartered her for San Francisco with a general cargo and passengers. He made a very successful voyage around Cape Horn, reaching San Francisco in the height of the gold excitement in 1850. While many vessels lay in that port deserted by their crews, who had been lured from the fulfillment of their contracts with the masters by the glittering temptation of sudden riches, Capt. Evans' men remained true to him, and after discharging cargo took the vessel on its way. The Captain returned by the way of the west coast of South America and Cape Horn to Europe, whence he continued on his way to Bombay, India, retaining almost the same crew which had gone with him to San Francisco during the gold fever. After several long voyages he was induced to take command of the steamship "Arno," of Liverpool, the first steamer which sailed from that port to the Mediterranean Sea.
Although in command of a beautiful ship and in a pleasant line of trade, Capt. Evans felt that he would enjoy a change. He had made many long voyages, and found his health impaired from sojourns in unhealthy climates, so conceived the idea that he would go to the great West. In 1853, much against the remonstrances of the owners of his ship in Liverpool, he left her and his beautiful home in Carnarvon, North Wales, and came to Wisconsin, joining his relatives who had preceded him several years. He settled in Berlin, then Marquette County, in the summer of 1853, and has since made his home in that community. Not readily finding help to carry on a large farm, he bought a sawmill that had just been finished, and began the manufacture of lumber without delay. The great panic of 1857 made the business outlook discouraging, and the captain again longed for the sea. He went to Boston, where he bought and took command of the "Chesapeake," of that city, a fine large bark, with which he sailed in the trade of the West Indies, the Gulf of Mexico and South America. Until the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion, when that line of travel proved uncertain and unprofitable, he chartered for England and took a cargo from Philadelphia to Her Majesty's Dock Yards, at Portsmouth, England. From there he sailed to Antiqua, West Indies, thence to the Bay of Honduras, where he loaded for the Queen's Dock Yards, at Chatham, England. Being in London daily, he there learned of the defeat of the Union troops at the battle of Bull Run, and seeing that the affairs of the country were getting worse daily, he concluded to return home and offer his services to the Government. Consequently he went by Newcastle for coal to Boston, and immediately on arriving in that city, sold his ship and tendered his services to the navy department of the United States. He had an opportunity, which he accepted, to go out to the San Francisco mint with a friend, in charge of some treasure. On arriving at San Francisco, he was appointed a member of the Naval Board, to examine some young officers at Port Townsend, and was there appointed a Third Lieutenant in the United States Revenue Marine Service, and remained on that side during the year. He then returned to the East for examination, and on his arrival at Washington was promoted to the rank of Second Lieutenant, with the promise of further promotion if he could pass a higher examination. He then went on board the frigate "Savannah," but having passed an examination for First Lieutenant, was ordered to the steam craft "Naugautuck," and thence to the command of the new revenue steam cutter "Kewaunee," built at Baltimore by Robb & Co. A few days after assuming command, a fear was expressed by the citizens of Baltimore that a raid would be made by the rebel, Gilmore, and the authorities expected the Captain to place the ship in the best position to defend the city. There were no commissioned officers on board except Mr. Evans, but he had a good set of warrant officers and a few good men were sent him from Washington. He consulted Gen. Morris, by whom he was supplied with fixed ammunition for his eight 24-pounders, "Dahlgren," and some for the 30-pounder, "Parrot." He hauled the ship to the stream and put springs on his cable. Picking out an efficient crew in the custom house and around the streets, he drilled them until they were excellent gunners, and kept them under arms three or four days. In the meantime, all the banks in the city sent their treasure aboard, and the custom house placed $500,000 under the care of Capt. Evans. In all, the treasure of which he had charge amounted to $13,000,000, which was in strong casks that he stowed in the new magazine. They were now ready to receive Gilmore, but he did not make his appearance, so Capt. Evans disbanded his hastily-gathered crew, and returned to Gen. Morris his ammunition, and the banks and custom house their moneys. Shortly afterward, he received on board all the necessary ammunition and small arms as well as several commissioned officers, and was prepared for active duty. But a short time had elapsed, when he was ordered to New York, where he was assigned to special duty and detached from the ship. After several months, he was ordered to the command of the "Verona," and later the "Tiger," and was on the latter vessel when the news of the assassination of President Lincoln reached him. Some time later he was assigned to the position of executive officer of the "Cuyahoga," with Capt. Faunce. About the same time the "Salmon P. Chase" was completed, it being one of six sidewheel steamers for the inland lakes, and this one was designed for Lake Ontario. Capt. Cornell, who superintended their building, made application to the department for Capt. Evans to take her up with him to Ogdensburg, N.Y., by way of Quebec and Montreal; which he did, arriving late in the fall of 1865. He was then ordered by telegraph to Baltimore, Md., to take the steamer "John A. Dix" thence to Key West, Fla. The following spring he was ordered to the "New Dix," at Detroit. While there, the revenue steamer "Johnson," in command of Capt. Francis Martin, came there to take Gen. Sherman's staff to Lake Michigan, but by permission of the department, Capt. Evans made a change with the executive officer of the "Johnson," who paid all expenses, although Capt. Evans got the best of the bargain, as he, by this arrangement, went to his home port. In that way he first placed on the station of Milwaukee and Lake Michigan, where he served so many years afterward at different times. In the spring of 1867 he was promoted to a captaincy, and was ordered to the old cutter "Morris," in Mobile Bay. The "Morris" needed repairs, and the Captain was ordered to take her to Baltimore, where she was condemned and sold. In the summer of 1869 he went to San Francisco, on his way to Alaska, in accordance with instructions, and after considerable detention in that city, obtained transportation for Sitka, Alaska, arriving at his destination fourteen days out. He then relieved Capt. Henriques of command of the steamer "Lincoln," and immediately prepared for a cruise in the Behring Sea. He visited all the Aleutian and Seal Islands. At St. Paul's, where most of the seals are caught, he remained several days, and during that time he had the misfortune to lose a boat's crew of five good men, by the capsizing of a gig in which they were going ashore for their captain.
Capt. Evans cruised in that sea during the season, visiting Onalaska several times, and in the fall went to Sitka, where he spent the winter. In the spring he was obliged to go to San Francisco for repairs, and in the summer of 1870 was ordered to Milwaukee to command the "Johnson," of which he had charge several years. He rebuilt the ship in Milwaukee, and was relieved by Capt. Davis in 1882, at which time he was sent to command the "Commodore Perry," with headquarters at Erie, Pa. He held a survey on her the following winter, and reported advising a new iron cutter; and they now have on that station one of the finest cutters afloat. In 1883 he was ordered to Galveston, Tex., to command the steam cutter "McLean," and cruised from the Rio Grande to New Orleans. He was subsequently transferred to the steam cutter "W. H. Seward," on the same coast, where he continued until April 15, 1885, when, his health having become impaired from climatic causes, he was detached from the "Seward" on waiting orders, since which time he has been at home. On leaving his ship, Capt. Evans was presented by his subordinate officers with an elegant gold-headed cane bearing an appropriate inscription expressive of their warm regard. The parents of the Captain emigrated with their children from Wales to the United States, in 1846, and settled at Columbus, Wis., whence, in 1850, they removed to Berlin. There was a large family of children, seven sons and four daughters, of whom only four are now living - Capt. David and three brothers. Mr. Evans was a farmer by occupation, a Republican in politics, and a very worthy man. His death occurred in April, 1854, and his estimable wife survived her husband but a few years. They are buried side by side in the Berlin Cemetery.
Capt. Evans has been twice married, and both times in his native country. He was married, in 1841, to Miss Catherine Morris, daughter of William Morris, and one child, Ellen, was born, but the mother and daughter both died in 1843. In February, 1845, the Captain wedded Miss Ellen Lloyd, daughter of Capt. Richard Lloyd, and four children were born of their union, two sons and two daughters. David, the eldest, wedded Miss Mary Thomas, and is farming near Berlin; Richard L. is unmarried, and resides with his parents; Elizabeth is the wife of J. C. Fairweather, of Minneapolis; Nettie A. married Charles B. Wadleigh, of Minneapolis. Capt. Evans and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church, of Berlin. The Captain is Republican in the broadest sense of the word, and is an earnest advocate of the broad principles of human liberty on which the government and the institutions of the country are founded. During all the years in which he has served the Government he has proved a most competent and trusty officer, and has been so zealous and prudent in the discharge of duty that he has never through any fault of his caused the Government the loss of a dollar's worth of property; while his ability, fidelity and integrity have always commanded the confidence and respect of the department officers under whom he has served. He has had a wide and varied experience of the world, having visited in the course of his seafaring life many ports of civilized nations, and some countries of the uncivilized and barbarous. He is a man ripe in the experience of the sea, a skillful navigator and thorough seaman. His success in his chosen vocation, which has been marked, has been won by careful study, keen observation and close application, together with an earnest and conscientious endeavor to do his whole duty under all circumstances, both by his employers and his crew. Following the natural humane impulses of his heart, he has seldom, if ever, failed to win the utmost confidence and respect of his officers and men, by showing due regard for their comfort and welfare, while treating all with justice, kindness and firmness. While in his seventy-third year, Capt. Evans is still hale and hearty, with mental faculties in full vigor, and to the casual observer would appear but little past his prime. Should his return to active service be required, it is evident that he would again tread the quarter-deck with as firm a step as ever. The Captain has a fine farm of sixty-four acres, situated within the city of Berlin, near the western limits, with a tasty and commodious residence facing Broadway, which is situated in well-kept grounds, shaded by forest trees. In this pleasant home he is content to pass his well-earned hours of ease in the company of his family and friends. [Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Green Lake, Marquette and Waushara Counties, Wisconsin, Chicago: Acme Publishing, 1890. - Submitted by Amanda Jowers]
DARTFORD - The subject of this sketch, a native of Warwickshire, England, and a son of Thomas and Hannah (Padbury) Greenway, was born March 14, 1825. His father, a brewer, baker and innkeeper, in the old country, came to the United States in 1835, and resided about fifteen years in Syracuse and Palmyra, New York, engaged in farming most of the time. David received a common-school education, and lived with his father several years after coming to this country. In 1850 he removed to Wisconsin, and settled at Ripon. The place had then only four dwelling houses, and they were poor shanties, and he built one of the first good houses there. He was engaged in the drug business about twelve years, and acted a long time as agent for an express company. In 1866 he built the Oakwood House at Dartford, six miles west of Ripon, and the next season opened it as a summer resort. It was a bold venture, as there was no railroad to that place then, and his friends thought he was chimerical, and prophesied a failure. Nothing daunted, however, he pushed forward; patronage increased from year to year, and every season he enlarged his premises, adding one-fourth to his accommodations in the spring of 1877, and now has one building one hundred and sixty feet long, connected by balconies with other buildings used for dormitories, and four double cottages, with accommodations in all for three hundred guests. The Oakwood is one of the most attractive resorts for tourists in Wisconsin. A great many families from the South as well as from the large Northern cities, come here annually to spend months. The Oakwood House is only a few rods from Green Lake, which is one of the loveliest sheets of water found in the State. One of the Eastern newspapers thus speaks of the hotel, the scenery around it, and the lake:
Green Lake is situated on a station of the Sheboygan and Fond du Lac railway, the most of the distance to it being traversed, however, by the Chicago and Northwestern or Milwaukee and St. Paul roads. It is so secluded that you might imagine yourself lost in a romantic wilderness, until you have finished the lovely ride of over a mile, brings you to the Oakwood House, and the whole lovely scene lies spread before you - a splendid hotel with verandas, walks and ornamental pleasure-grounds, a body of clear, green, translucent water, stretching away between beautifully wooded shores, and landscape pictures of surpassing beauty, greeting you at every turn, while over all broods the ineffable peace of Nature. There is no other lake in Wisconsin that possesses the cool, deep, green water that Green Lake has; there is no other lake possessing finer fish or more delightful scenes to charm the artistic soul - every day brings a new view from some different point of interest. The lazy tourist who wants rest can lie on the bank and watch the shadows through his half closed eyes, and note the silvery gleam of a fish as it "flops" under his gaze; or he can hold a rod, and only exert himself to land the big fish that catch at his bait; or he can float softly on the rocking wave, trolling leisurely as he goes. All along the banks of Green Lake stands the forest primeval, and here and there a smoke curls lazily from some camp and defines a picturesque outline against the sky. The air is full of delicious odors of earth and sky, and the cool, sea-like fragrance of the water is balsam to the weary lungs. Fashion worn and sickly women come here to rest and recuperate, and the bloom of health glows on their cheeks before the season is over. Blasé men, tired of business and pleasure, find fresh interest in Nature, and take a new lease of life; and little, puny, town-reared children gain color and muscle, and do their parents credit. All this is gained from the resources of Nature. Art has given us the comfortable and luxurious Oakwood Hotel, with its cool, stately halls and piazzas, its pleasant parlors and family suites, and its spacious dining hall, where every luxury is cooked to please the appetite, and served up by competent hands.
The great number of tourists attracted thither from New Orleans, Memphis, Vicksburg, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Chicago, New York and other cities, presents nothing like loneliness, and there are amusements in which all are free to partake - croquet, lawn parties, picnics, bowling alleys, billiards, walks, rides, boating, camping out, excursions and card parties, and charades within doors, when it rains, to say nothing of the brilliant hops. The family of the proprietor make it especially pleasant by their kind attention to guests. Green Lake is ten miles long and from two to four miles wide, with a diversity of beautiful scenery that makes it forever new. Numerous elegant homes line its banks, and pleasure grounds and picnic resorts are conveniently near. Lying back from its shores are fine farms in a high state of cultivation, and pedestrians will find themselves well repaid for a tramp often miles in any direction. There is something in the bracing air suggestive of exercise; for after a few weeks lazy resting, all the veins and sinews tingle with health and new life, and the exercise of the fields is a pleasant change. Invalids, and health and pleasure seekers generally, may well "thank their stars" that such an enterprising, kind and obliging man as Mr. Greenway ever cast his eye on this Eden-like spot, and has made it what it is.
The wife of Mr. Greenway was Miss Caroline Chadburn, daughter of an English optician. They were married in Syracuse, New York, February 19, 1S49, and have had five children, three of whom, one daughter and two sons, are still living. Nellie, the widow of the late Henry Mowry, of Woonsocket, Rhode Island, lives with her parents; the elder son, William, is married, and is clerk of the Oakwood; and George is also at home. Mrs. Greenway is a woman of fine social and lady-like qualities, and admirably adapted to preside in the parlors of a popular public resort.
The family are Episcopal in religious sentiment, and during the summer services are usually held once a day on Sunday, in the parlors. Perfect decorum prevails in and around the house on that day. The family spend their winters in Ripon. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Thomas Hamilton is one of the progressive citizens of Marquette, Wis., and the history of his life is as follows: he was born in Bishops Corner, Granville, Washington Co., N.Y., on the 8th of March, 1814, and is a son of Levi Hamilton, a native of Massachusetts, born in 1786. He participated in the war of 1812, and took part in the battle of Plattsburg. He married Rachel Dewey, a native of Rutland County, Vt., and they settled in Granville, N.Y., where were born to them seven children: John A., who became a resident of Clinton County, Mich., where his death occurred; Sarah, who became the wife of Martin Wheeler, and died at her home in Cattaraugus County, N.Y.; Thomas, our subject; Harvey, of Green Lake County; Mindwell became the wife of Mr. Bullock, of Mich., where she passed away; William, one of the early settlers of this county, died in 1874; and Betsey E. became the wife of Joseph Eastland, and died in Cattaraugus County, N.Y. In 1820 Mr. Hamilton removed with his family to Queensbury, Warren Co., N.Y., where the death of his wife occurred in 1829. He then removed to the West and died in Michigan. Both were members of the Congregational Church, in which he served as deacon for many years. They made friends wherever they went, and were highly respected people. Our subject acquired his education in the district schools of Queensbury and Glens Falls, and on arriving at man's estate was united in marriage, in Warren County, N.Y., in 1835, with Mary B. Harris, daughter of William B. and Clara (Bates) Harris. They began their domestic life in the county where their marriage was solemnized, but afterward removed to Saratoga County, and subsequently became residents of Troy, N.Y., where they made their home until 1855, which year witnessed their emigration to the West. They chose Green Lake County as the scene of their future operations, and settled on section 17, in the town of Green Lake, where Mr. Hamilton purchased a partly improved farm. For a number of years he continued to make farming his principal occupation, and on selling out in Green Lake Township, bought land in the town of Mackford, which he continued to cultivate until 1870, when he came to Marquette, where he has since made his home.
Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton, but two died in infancy, and in all probability James, the third child, is also dead. He left home when seventeen years of age and shipped on a whaling vessel. He wrote to his parents from Honolulu, but since that letter no word has ever been received; so it is not certainly known whether he is numbered among the living or the dead. They have also adopted three children, upon whom they bestowed all the care and attention of true parents, and have won the lasting gratitude and love of the son and daughters who would probably otherwise have been homeless. The adopted children are Alida C., Frederick, and Rettie K. The lives of this worthy couple are full of acts of kindness and deeds of charity and benevolence which will cause them never to be forgotten while memory lasts. They stand high in the estimation of their fellow citizens and deserve the great respect tendered them. In 1840, as a supporter of the Whig party, Mr. Hamilton cast his ballot for William Henry Harrison, and in 1888, as a Republican, he voted for Hon. Benjamin Harrison, the illustrious grandson of the Tippecanoe hero. [Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Green Lake, Marquette and Waushara Counties, Wisconsin, Chicago: Acme Publishing, 1890. - Submitted by Amanda Jowers]
William P. Harmon
HARMON William P, Minneapolis. Res 1905 Penn av S, office 524 2d av S. Printer. Born March 31, 1865 in Princeton Wis, son of Hiram H and Luanna (Phelps) Harmon. Married June 3, 1890 to Mary Edna Clark. Educated in common schools. Learned printer’s trade and engaged in same Milwaukee until 1888; in Minneapolis 1888-94; edited Princeton (Wis) Republican 1894-96; sec and treas Hahn & Harmon Co Inc printers Minneapolis 1896 to date. Member Commercial and Publicity clubs and Masonic fraternity. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
Charles F. Holmes
CHARLES F. HOLMES, one of the well known business men of Aberdeen, is a native of the Badger state and a representative of one of its pioneer families, having been born in Green Lake county, Wisconsin, on the 5th of June, 1852, and being a son of Anson L. Holmes, who was born in the city of Indianapolis, Indiana, coming of stanch old Scottish lineage. Anson L. Holmes removed with his family to Wisconsin in an early day and there passed the remainder of his life, which was devoted principally to agricultural pursuits and lumbering. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Wisconsin, and in 1876, as a young man of twenty four years, he removed to Nevada, becoming one of the pioneer gold miners in that section of the Union. He followed placer mining for a number of years and was fairly successful in his efforts. In 1879 he returned to Wisconsin, where he passed the winter of that year, and in the spring of 1880 he came to the present state of South Dakota and located in Watertown, where he continued to reside until the spring of 1882, when he came to Aberdeen, taking up land in the vicinity and in due time perfecting his title to the same. He then engaged in the cigar business in the city, while he was also identified with the police department for eight years, during a portion of which he was chief of the same, proving a most able executive. In 1897 he engaged in the drug business at the corner of Main and Third streets, where he continued operations until March, 1904, when he sold out. In politics he is a stalwart Republican and fraternally is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. [History of South Dakota by Doane Robinson 1901; submitted by FoFG BZ]
avid Junor, Berlin, was born at London, Canada, July 20, 1842. He received an excellent education at the Toronto University, and graduated in 1866 from that institution, from which also he received the degree of Master of Arts in 1868. He studied law at St. Mary's, and was admitted to the bar at Toronto in 1869. He practiced for three years at St. Mary's, in partnership with J. E. Harding, the same lawyer with whom he had formerly studied. He came to the United States in 1872, and purchased the Berlin Courant, one of the oldest papers in the State of Wisconsin, published at Berlin, Wisconsin, and in the following year was admitted to the bar. During the two years after his admission he was principal of the Berlin High School, and from 1877 to 1879 occupied the same position in the city of Sanganio, Michigan. In 1879 he returned to Berlin, and resumed the publication of the Courant. At the same time he began the practice of law, in partnership with A. E. Dunlap, which partnership was dissolved in 1880, when Mr. Dunlap was elected clerk of circuit court for Green Lake county. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Hon. Martin L. Kimball
BERLIN - Martin Luther Kimball, son of Reuel Kimball, a Presbyterian clergyman, and Hannah nee Mather, is a native of Leyden, Lewis County, New York, the date of his birth being September 4, 1826. His father was a paymaster in the War of 1812-15, stationed at Sacket's Harbor, New York. Later in life he owned a farm, which he cultivated, and at the time preached, Martin aiding on the farm until seventeen years of age, and then prepared for college at Williston Seminary, East Hampton, Massachusetts, teaching meantime during one winter. He entered Hamilton College, Clinton, New York, in September 1845, and graduated four years later. Removing to Wisconsin during the same year, he read law a short time with Judge Keep, of Beloit, but finished his legal studies with Finch and Synde, of Milwaukee, and was admitted to the bar in that city in 1851. He thereupon settled in Berlin, and has there been in the legal practice since that date. He does business in all the courts of the State, and is a member of the United States district court. He is well read, and is a good jury as well as court lawyer, excelling, however, as a counselor. In legal standing and general, character he honors the profession. Aside from his professional duties, he has been the recipient of honors and trusts at the hands of his fellow citizens. He was a member of the State senate in 1857 and 1858; and although the youngest member of that body, yet he was placed on the judiciary committee, also on that of privileges and elections. He was district attorney in 1854 and 1855, and, after a lapse of years, was again elected in 1874, and reelected in 1876, and still holds that office. He has been chairman of the county board of supervisors for twelve or fifteen years. Mr. Kimball was known in New York State as a free soiler, that being the ticket which he voted in 1848. With a single exception, for the last twenty-one years, he has voted with the republicans. He was a delegate, in 1864, to the national convention which re-nominated Mr. Lincoln.
He is a member of the Temple of Honor, and for nearly two years was at the head of the local lodge, and is an influential man among the advocates of temperance, and an earnest promoter of the moral, literary and general interests of society. He attends the Congregational Church.
Mr. Kimball has a second wife: his first, Miss Buttrick, of Clinton, New York, to whom he was married in 1852, died without issue in 1862. His present wife was Miss Richards, daughter of Rev. W. M. Richards, of Berlin, their marriage occurring in 1863, and they have six children. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
JONAS LENZ, a public-spirited citizen and successful farmer of Grand Forks county, has been a resident of Union township from its early settlement and organization, his home being on section 26. Mr. Lenz was born in Marquette, Green Lake county, Wisconsin, January 20, 1862. His parents,. Ferdinand and Caroline (Block) Lenz, were natives of Germany. They were married in the old country and one child was born there, the other four children constituting their family being born in the United States. The father was a soldier of the Civil war. He came to Dakota at the same time as our subject. He died August 1, 1898, and he and his wife, who died in 1888, now rest side by side in the country churchyard near their Dakota home. Jonas Lenz grew to manhood in his native county and received a common-school education. At the age of eighteen years he came to Dakota and settled in Cass county. He remained there two years and then came to Grand Forks county and took up his residence in Onion township, where he has since made his home. He is the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of as fine land as can be found in the county and has erected good buildings and made many valuable improvements.
Mr. Lenz was married, in Grand Forks county, North Dakota, April 10, 1886, to Miss Sophia Scheer, who was born in Wabasha county, Minnesota, June 20, 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Lenz are the parents of a family of seven children, named in the order of their birth, as follows : Frances, Reuben, William, Mabel, Eva, Ezra and Lillie. Mr. Lenz has been active in public affairs of a local nature and has always taken a commendable interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare of his community and county. He was the first constable of Union township and has also served on the board of township supervisors and has been township treasurer for five successive years. He is a man of the strictest integrity and uprightness of character and has a host of friends throughout the county. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by BZ]
The farming interests of Liberty Township, Richland County, have a worthy representative in the person of the gentleman above named, who operates a farm in section 6. He has improved his estate and made it one on which a remunerative business may be done by one who devotes himself intelligently to his work. In the way of buildings such arrangements have been made as tend to the economical conduct of the farm and for the comfort of the family a substantial dwelling has been constructed. Our subject was born in Green Lake County, Wisconsin, February 21, 1850. He was reared in his native county and made his home there until he went to North Dakota in 1879. He then entered a homestead claim in section 4, and a tree claim in section 6 and located on the former. In 1897 he removed to section 6, where he has since resided. He now owns about one-half section of land and has his farms well improved.
Our subject was married, in Wisconsin, March 5, 1888, to Miss Margaret Thomas, a native of New York state. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lynch, namely: Gladys, Madge and Maud. Mr. Lynch has served as township treasurer and chairman of the board of supervisors and takes an active interest in local affairs. He is a man who keeps pace with the times and in all matters of a public nature will be found on the side of right and justice. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota (Publ. 1900) Transcribed by Laurel Durham]
Miles Mix, M.D.
BERLIN - One of the oldest medical practitioners in Green Lake County, Wisconsin, is Miles Mix, who for twenty-seven years past has been a resident of Berlin. He began to study medicine somewhat late in life, but fitted himself thoroughly before starting in the profession; and has since been a studious, growing man, and bears a good name wherever known. A native of New York, he was born in Ripley, Chautauqua County, near the Pennsylvania line, October 17, 1819, and is the son of Stephen Mix, a farmer, and Patience nee Risdon. His parents moved to Mina, in the same county, when Miles was only four years old, and in 1836 removed to La Porte, Indiana. Miles remained at home until about nineteen, with three months school during each year. He commenced the carpenter's trade, and worked at it six years in and near La Porte, attending a select school in that city, in the meantime, nearly a. year. In 1842 he moved westward as far as Beloit, Wisconsin, where he worked for a time at his trade, and spent six months in a select school. He was in Whitewater during the summer of 1843, and in the autumn of that year went to Racine and spent two years there in a threshing-machine shop, and in overseeing a set of hands in building the harbor improvement works. Late in the year 1845 he commenced studying medicine with Dr. O. W. Blanchard, of Racine, and returning to La Porte in the spring of 1847, he finished his medical studies with Professor Meeker. He also attended lectures in that city, and there graduated in February 1850. On the 12th of August of that year he settled in Berlin, and has since been steadily engaged in practice, except during the winter of 1860-1, which he spent at Rush Medical College, Chicago, brushing up his knowledge of medical science and surgery. He has a general practice, attending to such surgical cases as naturally come in his way, and in this branch of his profession is especially skillful.
Dr. Mix is a Royal Arch Mason; a republican in politics, and a member of the Baptist Church, and the purity of his life has been unquestioned.
He was married on the 13th of January 1849, to Miss Louisa E. Wheeler, of La Porte, Indiana, and by her has seven children. Edwin S., the eldest child, is married, and has a farm near Berlin; Jane Ann, the eldest daughter, is the wife of Allen Otterburn, of Berlin. Two of the boys are on their brother's farm, and the rest of the children are at home. Their mother, a woman of great devotion to her family, a very active Christian and a pillar of the Baptist church, always ready for any good work, died March 4, 1877. She was the young people's friend and counselor, and, a day or two before she died, had them come to her house and sing some of her favorite hymns. By old and young alike she was most warmly esteemed. The Doctor is fully sensible of his great loss, and realizes the truthfulness of the poet's lines: 'The memory of the just Smells sweet, and blossom in the dust. ' [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
RICHARD PRITCHARD (Rep.), of Manchester, Green Lake County, was born at Carnarvonshire, North Wales, January 20, 1843; had a common school education; is a farmer; came to to Wisconsin in 1874 and settled at Manchester; held various local offices; was elected assemblyman for 1880, receiving 1,112 votes against 587 for Hiram Stedman, Democrat, and 366 for James Densmore, Greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
Reese T. Reese
BERLIN - With a single exception, the subject of this notice has been in the mercantile trade in Berlin longer than any other parties. He began on a moderate scale, doing business from the start on strictly honorable principles, and increased his business from time to time as the growing demands of trade would warrant, and now has the largest premises and the largest stock of general merchandise in Berlin. All this has been done by strict adherence to business and careful attention to all its details.
Reese T. Reese is a native of Wales, but has spent all but the first ten or eleven years of his life in this country and in Wisconsin. His parents were Thomas Reese and Anna nee Shelby, both natives of Wales. In the old country Thomas Reese was a joiner by trade, but on coming to Wisconsin, about 1842, he decided to get his living out of the soil, and to this end opened a farm in Waukesha County. About four years later he removed to Winnebago County, and a short time afterward to Waushara County, where he still resides, having passed his three-score years and ten, and still remaining quite healthy. His wife died in that county about five years ago. Young Reese remained with his parents until of age, when he began life for himself He spent about five years in hotels in Waukesha County and in Milwaukee, and on May 1, 1857, settled in Berlin. At first, in company with H. A. Williams, now of St. Louis, he opened a small grocery store; two years later he put in a general stock, and continued in this partnership until 1862, when Mr. Williams sold out to Pliney F. Whiting, and the firm of Reese and Whiting has been in business steadily from that date. They have a double brick store, eighty by one hundred feet, and three stories high above the basement, standing on ground which they own; usually carry about forty thousand dollars worth of stock, and do on an average a business of one hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars annually. It is the leading house of the kind in the county, and has stood firm as a rock through all the financial crises of the last twenty years.
In politics Mr. Reese is a republican, but would never accept an office of any kind, except that of alderman for a term or two. He is a Royal Arch Mason.
In 1862 he was married to Miss Matilda Troxell, of Winnebago County, Wisconsin, a woman of great excellence of character. The fruit of this union has been seven children, four of whom are now living.
In appearance Mr. Reese is a man of light complexion and blue eyes. He is five feet and eleven inches tall, and weighs two hundred and fifteen pounds. He usually wears a cheerful face. He is very social in his disposition; pleasant to his employees as well as customers; has warm, generous feelings toward all classes, and is especially kind to the poor. As a man he is known and esteemed for his real worth, and by his industrious and upright life has endeared himself to all who have been brought under his influence. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Gibson A. Richards
GIBSON A. RICHARDS was born in Mackford township Green Lake county, Wisconsin, January 16, 1857, son of Thomas and Anna (King) Richards. Thomas Richards was a native of Lincolnshire, England, and was the only one of the family to come to America. Gibson received his early education in the country school and became a farmer, coming to his present place in Renville county in 1878, where he secured a homestead of 160 acres in section 19, Boon Lake township. Here he erected a frame building 12 by 16 feet and 7 feet high and also a straw barn. After two years he obtained a team of horses. When he married his wife brought him three cows. The first market was at Hutchinson and later at Stewart. He prospered and had good crops, and has increased his farm to 320 acres and made many improvements on the house and barns. He keeps a good grade of stock. Mr. Richards served on the township board for thirteen years and has been chairman of the board for the past two years. He also held office on the school board. He helped organize the Lake Side creamery and has held office on the board as one of the directors. He is also a stockholder of the Buffalo Lake Farmers' Elevator. He is a steward of the local Methodist Episcopal church, which he help to build. Mr. Richards was married July 20, 1879, to Martha J. Potter. In 1879 she taught the first subscription school and also taught three other terms in the district school. For teaching her first school she received $18 a month and she had to pay $2 a week for board. Mr. and Mrs. Richards have four children: William, who is at home; Linnie, who died at the age of nine years; Roy, who is a farmer of Boone Lake township and Eugene C, a farmer in Boone Lake township. [HISTORY OF RENVILLE COUNTY MINNESOTA Vol. 1, by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge Published by H. C. Cooper Jr, & Co., Chicago (1916) Submitted by Veneta McKinney]
Jabez Nelson Rogers
BERLIN - Jabez Nelson Rogers is the son of Jabez J Rogers, junior, and Sarah nee Chipman, and was born in Middlebury, Addison County, Vermont, February 16, 1807. Both of his grandfathers participated in the Revolutionary War. Jabez Rogers, senior, was a commissary officer; and Colonel John Chipman was a volunteer with General Ethan Allen, in the spring of 1775, to take Ticonderoga and Crown Point. He was at the capture of St. John's and Montreal, and participated in the battles of Hubbardton and Bennington. He was at Saratoga at the capture of General Burgoyne, in October 1777; and afterward had the command of Forts Edward and George, successively. He was taken prisoner at the latter fort in 1780; was exchanged in the summer of 1781, and remained a supernumerary until the close of the war. The Rogers family were among the early settlers in Addison County, and Jabez Rogers, junior, a merchant during most of his life, opened the first store in that county. Jabez Nelson was educated in the common school and in Middlebury Academy, and at one time was intending to go through college, but abandoned his purpose. He went into a store while in his minority, and becoming attached to the mercantile business, followed it as long as he was a resident of Vermont. Leaving that State in 1833 he settled at St. Joseph, then in the Territory of Michigan, and just coming into prominence as a lake port town. There he read law and practiced until June 1848, when he crossed the lake to Milwaukee. There he practiced until the autumn of 1849, when he removed to Strong's Landing, now the city of Berlin, in Green Lake County. Here for nearly thirty years he has been in legal practice, but has been called to fill so many positions of trust and responsibility, outside his profession, as to be able, of late years, to pay but little attention to it, except indirectly. In 1852 Mr. Rogers was elected justice of the peace, and held the office twenty consecutive years. He was appointed municipal judge in May 1870, and served five years. He was elected mayor in the spring of 1875, for the term of two years; reelected in 1877, and now, in his seventy-first year, is at the head of the municipality. He is a true and competent man, and the citizens of Berlin delight to honor him. Few men have lived a more active life, and few of his age are as sprightly and in all respects so well preserved. In early and middle life Mr. Rogers was an antislavery whig, and naturally drifted into the republican ranks when that party was organized. He had long been a great admirer of Horace Greeley, and voted for him for President in 1872. Mr. Rogers is a conscientious and unselfish politician. While a resident of Michigan, after it had become a State, he was nominated against his wishes for member of the legislature, and took the stump against himself, aiding to elect his opponent, whom he considered a more competent man. On the 29th of October 1832, he was married to Miss Ether E. Hagar, daughter of Jonathan Hagar, Esquire, of Middlebury, Vermont. They had six children, all born in Michigan, and five of them are still living, three sons and two daughters. The sons, Edward G., Josias N. and Frederic L., are lawyers, and living in St. Paul, Minnesota. Both daughters are invalids. The elder, Sarah L., is at home; and Harriet H. is in the St. Mary's Hospital, Milwaukee. Mr. Rogers has seen a great deal of frontier life, but "roughing it" has neither broken his spine nor his spirits, nor injured his morals or manners. He is a courteous and kind old gentleman, standing as erect as in middle life, preserving the dignity of true manhood, and shrinking from no responsibility which his fellow-citizens deem proper to put upon him. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Hobart Sterling Sacket
HOBART STERLING SACKET (Rep.), of Berlin, was born at Sacket’s Harbor, Jefferson county, N. Y., February 14, 18xx; was educated in the common schools and pursued a partial course in the Western Reserve College, Hudson, Ohio; is a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1866, and first settled in Waushara, and thence removed to Green Lake county; served two terms as chairman of the town of Aurora, Waushara county, and represented his district in the assembly in 1872; was a delegate to the national Republican convention at Philadelphia the same year. He was in the employ of the quartermaster’s department during the war, and while so employed was stationed at Chicago, Pittsburg Landing, Atlanta and Chattanooga. State senator in 1877 and 1878, and re-elected for 1879, ’80, receiving 3,085 votes against 2,323 for L. S. Walker (Dem.), and 470 for John A. Williams (Greenbacker). [Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Chase L. Sargent
Chase L. Sargent, one of the early settlers of Green Lake County, Wis., is engaged in farming and stock raising in the town of Marquette, his farm comprising a part of section 1, township 14, range 11. His birth occurred on the 1st of September, 1825, in Lincoln, Addison County, Vt. His father, Moses Sargent, was born in 1774 and married Miss Sally Durfey, who was born in 1787, The former was a native of New Hampshire and the latter of Connecticut and both were reared in the faith of the Society of Friends. But two children were born unto them, sons, Chase L. and Daniel H., who died in Lincoln, Vt. The parents are also now deceased, they too having passed away in the Green Mountain State. Mr. Sargent, whose name heads this sketch, received his primary education in the common schools and completed his studies in the high school of his native town. His early life was uneventful, his boyhood days being passed mid play and work greatly as that of other lads. At length he attained to manhood and on the 1st of November, 1846, was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with Miss Mary A. Brown, daughter of Lucius and Ann Brown, who emigrated to Green Lake County in 1852. Mr. and Mrs. Sargent resided at Lincoln, Vt., until 1849, when in this county at an early day, they emigrated to the new State of Wisconsin. They came with the intention of making this their permanent home and they have here since continued to reside. Mr. Sargent located on section 1, township 14, in the town of Marquette, and the following year removed to the farm which has now been his home for forty years. He has been a witness of the growth and development which has taken place since that time, has aided in the upbuilding of town and county and has bore his share in the promotion of its public enterprises which were calculated to benefit the community. His farm, one of the best in the neighborhood, comprises 100 acres of arable land all under a high state of cultivation. There is found all the necessary improvements, the home is a pleasant and tasty dwelling and the entire surroundings indicate the owner to be a man of industrious and energetic habits. Although he has labored long and and earnestly to provide his family with a pleasant home and surround them with all which goes to make life worth the living, he has yet found time to serve his fellow citizens in official positions. He is a strong Democrat in politics and in 1859 was elected by that party to the position of Clerk of the county board of supervisors, which office he held until 1871, covering a period of twelve years. For four years, he discharged the duties of Town Clerk and in 1871, was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace which he has since held with the exception of about one year. Faithful to every duty imposed upon him and true to the trust reposed in him, he has won the confidence of all. He was formerly a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Marquette Lodge, No. 102, but is now released from its charter. Mr. and Mrs. Sargent are the parents of nine children - Joel, who is now living in Plover, Portage County, Wis.; Lucy A., wife of W. H. Bedford, a resident of Holt County, Neb.; Daniel, superintendent of Caw Caw Club, at Marquette; Edison W., whose home is in Holt County, Neb.; Clarissa, who was Postmistress under Cleveland in Marquette; Chase L., who is an engineer in the employ of the Milwaukee Northern Railroad; Grant, Sewell and Lois. [Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Green Lake, Marquette and Waushara Counties, Wisconsin, Chicago: Acme Publishing, 1890. - Submitted by Amanda Jowers]
John C. Sherwood
DARTFORD - One of the earliest settlers in Green Lake County, Wisconsin, was John Chassell Sherwood, who has been a resident for thirty-one years, and who has done his full share in developing that section of the State, he being a man of unusual enterprise and public spirit. He is the son of Amos and Mary (Faville) Sherwood, and was born in Salisbury, Herkimer County, New York, September 24, 1822. He spent his minority in procuring an education, and prepared for college at Cazenovia and Fairfield, in his native State. He entered Wesleyan University, at Middletown, Connecticut, but left college in the junior year and went to Bowling Green, Kentucky, and taught two years. In 1845 he removed to Wisconsin with his brother William C., and entered sixteen hundred acres of land on the north side of Green Lake, at and near the present site of Dartford, and the next year made a permanent settlement. There was not a building of any kind in that region in 1845. The next spring Anson Dart, who became his partner, built a shanty, and, in honor of him, Mr. Sherwood named this place Dartford. They put up a sawmill in 1846, a gristmill the next year, and about three years later Mr. Dart left the State. Mr. Sherwood continued milling until 1873, when a fire destroyed his mill. Soon afterward he commenced the "Sherwood Forest" improvement, putting up a watering-place hotel of that name, and making one of the most retired and lovely resorts for tourists and pleasure-seekers in the Badger State. The lodge is a large and inviting structure, capable of accommodating more than a hundred guests, with every appointment usually found at a summer resort, a billiard-house, bowling alleys, and grounds for lawn games. The whole forest is a woodland lawn, gently sloping to the pebbly shore; and while the proprietor has opened some special avenues, nature has furnished uninterrupted drives and promenades everywhere. The scenery partakes of the beautiful and picturesque, rather than the sublime. Nature here speaks in dulcet whisperings, where one might almost expect to greet nymphs, satyrs and fauns. Here and there rustic seats, and swings pendant from the high, far-reaching branches, invite rest. The outlook from the grounds, as well as the piazza, is truly charming, a perfect kaleidoscope, taking in extensive prairies, woodlands and cultivated fields, as well as the lake, with its indentations and exquisite settings of bluffs and evergreens, grassy slopes and perpendicular ledges. One journalist calls Green Lake the Lake George of Wisconsin: A modest world of land and water beauties - too little cultivated by hunters after charming scenery and healthful It is a fairyland of wonderful fascination, and the weary of body and mind, or the despondent and languid the valid, and no less the strong and healthful, will find both mind and body invigorated and the soul elevated by a sojourn among the picturesque beauties of that lovely lake.
Another says: The most beautiful sheet of cold spring water in the world, a perpetual cool breeze, tine fishing, good shooting, shady groves and free from mosquitoes; in fact we pronounce it one of the most healthy spots in all America.
Mr. Sherwood is increasing the attractions of the "Forest" every year, adding pavilions, sail and fishing boats, etc. Here one finds every facility for innocent amusement. It is one mile west of Dartford post office, and directly on the northern shore of the lake. The aim is to make this retreat pleasant and homelike. Mr. Sherwood is a practical businessman; an independent politician, and an ardent "greenback" advocate. He was once a trustee of the Insane Asylum at Madison — all of office that he has ever held. He courts and adheres to private life. He was married, June 28, 1848, to Miss Jane C. Rich, of Penfield, Monroe County, New York. They have five children, and have lost two. One son is in a bank in Lafayette, Indiana; the other children are at home. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Oscar F. Silver
Oscar F. Silver, Berlin, was born in Caledonia county, Vermont, March 29, 1834, but grew up in Montpelier. His father was Isaac Silver and his mother Synthia Austin Silver. Mr. Silver's education was completed at the State University of Vermont, studied law with Lucius B. Peck at Montpelier, was admitted to the bar of the county court May 4, 1847, and to the supreme court of Vermont April 9, 1850. In November, 1850, he came to Berlin, where he has continued in the practice of law to the present time, excepting when he was in the volunteer military service in the war of the rebellion, serving as first lieutenant of company A, Sixteenth Wisconsin regiment. Becoming unfit for active duty while in the field, Lieutenant Silver was compelled to resign his commission and return home, when he resumed the practice of his profession as soon as recovery enabled him to do so. For twenty-five years he has filled the office of justice of the peace, and has been alderman and mayor of the city of Berlin, district attorney and court commissioner. In 1855 Mr. Silver married Miss Julia Kimball, a native of Maine, and they have four children. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
John Calvin Truesdell
John Calvin Truesdell, Berlin, was born in Liberty township, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, January 11, 1825, and is the eldest son of S. W. and L. U. Truesdell. His education was completed by a two years' course at Hartford University, Pennsylvania, after which he entered the law office of Little & Streeter, at Montrose, Pennsylvania, and graduated as a law student at the age of twenty-three years. In 1848 he was admitted to the bar at Montrose, and the same year came West and opened an office at Fond du Lac in connection with O. B. Tyler, and both were admitted to practice in this state in 1850. Mr. Truesdell subsequently became a partner of J. M. Gillett. In 1858 he moved to Berlin, and soon after formed a partnership with Eleazer Root, and later with G. D. Waring, under the name of Truesdell & Waring. In 1845 he had an office in St. Louis; and for two or three years pursued his law business at Princeton, Wisconsin, since which time he has been in practice in Berlin. Mr. Truesdell was a candidate for attorney-general of the state in 1851, but had the disadvantage of being on the minority ticket, as was the case as candidate for the senate in 1861, and for the assembly at a later date, nevertheless running well on the ticket. While living at Fond du Lac in 1849 he was superintendent of schools for that city. He was a whig during the existence of that party, and of a later day has been a democrat. Mr. Truesdell is one of the oldest, well-known and respected lawyers of Wisconsin. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
James M. Tusten
In whatever vocation engaged the successful man is the persistent man. This gentleman has gained his possessions single-handed and is the owner of one of the fine farms of Gardner township, Cass county, and resides on section 25. He is highly respected for his industry, energy and integrity, and well merits his success as an agriculturist. Our subject was born in Green Lake county, Wisconsin, September 14, 1852, and was raised on a farm and received a common-school education. He resided in his native state till the spring of 1885, when he went to North Dakota, having spent two years in Fond du Lac county, and two years in Waushara county, and two and a half years in Winnebago county, following farming in each location. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land when he settled in North Dakota, the tract being in section 25, in Gardner township, on which he has since resided. He has erected a complete set of substantial farm buildings and is now the owner of one and a half sections of well-improved land, on which he follows general farming. Our subject was married in Waushara county, Wisconsin, to Miss Martha A. Spoor, a native of that county. Two children have been born to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Tusten, upon whom they have bestowed the following names: Mabel E. and Edna M. Mr. Tusten is active in public affairs, and has served as assessor of Gardner township for the past three years. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and Brotherhood of American Yeomen. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Ezra G. Valentine
Erza G. Valentine is one of the most successful of the young lawyers who came to Chicago from Wisconsin. He is especially entitled to credit since he was surrounded by circumstances not the most favorable in the matter of his obtaining an education. The man who attains success, having unlimited opportunities and surrounded with the most favorable conditions, is not entitled to the same credit as one who is obliged to make the circumstances and submit to and contend with the conditions and make the most of such opportunities as he may have. Under the latter circumstances the young man, if he has the capacity to comprehend and measure himself, will make the best use of them he can, and turn his abilities and talents into the channel of his native inclinations and develop them to the fullest extent, and evolve in himself a true manhood if he be conscientious and true to himself. Judged from such a standpoint Ezra G. Valentine has been a successful man; has won success by his native ability, energy, industry, faithfulness to the interests of his clients, and strict integrity and unexceptionable habits; has devoted himself to early imbibed principles, an early formed purpose, and to his profession, earnestly and conscientiously, and has risen above the majority of young lawyers in the way of substantial success. He was born in Wyoming county, New York, in 1847; his father was a farmer; left there, with his parents, when about nine years of age, and located on a farm in Green Lake county, Wisconsin; thence to Ripon in 1859, where he commenced preparation for a collegiate course under the tuition of the now President Merrill; from there to Beloit College in 1864, and was in the preparatory department one year, when he entered upon the classical course, and graduated in 1869, standing high in scholarship. He paid his own way in college by teaching in the preparatory department and elsewhere during vacations. After graduating he taught for a time in the deaf and dumb institute at Delavan; thence to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he taught and read law, having access to such libraries as that of General B. Harrison and others. In 1875 he came to Chicago; was admitted to the bar, and commenced practice in 1877, and has since been employed in several important cases. He successfully defended the officers and trustees of the Delavan Deaf and Dumb Institute against charges of misdemeanors made by a former officer; the trial was a notable one, lasting three months; was associated with Lyman Trumbull in the Republic Fire Insurance cases, and others. These brief references to Mr. Valentine carry with them their own story. He is a genial and unpretentious gentleman, highly respected; a reliable attorney and counselor; a good citizen, and in good circumstances; a member of the Episcopal church, and is a self-made man in all respects. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Hon. George D. Waring
BERLIN - George Dwight Waring is an eminently self-made man. By the loss of his mother, when he was five years old, he was early thrown upon his own resources. At the age of ten he arranged with a gentleman to keep him until he attained his majority, so that his career from the first has been one of self-dependence. Though thrown upon his own resources while his hands were quite small, he was enabled to "paddle his own canoe," shunned all cataracts, and has had, on the whole, a smooth as well as successful voyage. He is the son of Ephraim Waring, a shoemaker, and Sally nee Brown; they resided at Masonville, Delaware County, New York, where he was born October 14, 1819. His paternal grandfather participated in the Revolutionary War, but it is not known in what capacity or how long. Ephraim Waring moved to Bainbridge, Chenango County, when George was an infant, and there his mother died. The period from five to ten years of age he spent in the families of friends. The man with whom he made arrangements to reside until of age was Avery Farnham, a Masonville farmer and lumber dealer, who moved to Steuben County, Indiana, in 1836. Up to about eighteen or nineteen, young Waring had had only common school privileges, and those somewhat limited; but being fond of study he made some progress out of school. He taught a winter school at the age of twenty, having previously spent a short time at a select school. At twenty-one he went to Kentucky, and taught both summers and winters for two years, and then returned to Indiana, and read law with R. L. Douglass, of Angola, Steuben County. He was admitted to the bar of that county, and removed thence to Berlin in November 1855. The next year he commenced legal practice, and still follows it, being one of the leading attorneys in the third judicial circuit. He is well read, shrewd and skillful. He discusses points with the judge with great pertinacity and with unusual success, and in every respect is a first-class lawyer.
With his professional labors Mr. Waring has united land operations with a good degree of success. While reading law in Indiana, he was elected sheriff of Steuben County, serving two years. He was the first mayor of Berlin, elected in the spring of 1857, and occupied that position four years; has served three terms as district attorney, at one time for four consecutive years, and, a little later, for two; was deputy provost-marshal during the rebellion; was in the State senate in 1869 and 1870, being on the judiciary committee during both terms, and chairman of the committee on town and county organizations one term, occupying a high position in the Upper House, particularly during the second session. In politics Mr. Waring is a republican, of whig antecedents, and a prominent man in the party in his part of the State. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and a man of exalted moral standing.
He was first married in 1843, his wife being Harriet A. Hopkins, of Angola, Indiana. They had two children, neither of whom are now living. Mrs. Waring's death occurred February 15, 1873. His present wife was Miss L. White, of Berlin; they were married June 11, 1874. They have one child. Mr. Waring is about the average height, solidly built, and weighs two hundred pounds. His habits are excellent; he has taken superb care of himself, and would be taken for a younger man than he is. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
John Williams, now deceased, was among the pioneer settlers of Green Lake County. He was born in Wales, in April, 1794, and in that community the days of his boyhood and youth were passed. On attaining his majority he married Guenn Griffiths, who was a native of the same county in which her husband was born. They were the parents of nine children, but several died previous to the emigration of the family to the new world. William died at the age of fourteen years; Laura died in infancy; the third child, also named Laura, became the wife of William Carter, one of the early settlers of this county and died in 1867; Hugh died in Wales when an infant; Hugh, the second of that name is now a contractor and builder in Chicago; Griffith J. makes his home in this county and is represented elsewhere in this volume; Richard is a resident of Green Lake County; William is now superintendent of a large mine owned by a New York company and has his headquarters at Sunshine, Colo.; Jane, the youngest, is deceased.
In the early spring of 1849, Mr. Williams, accompanied by his family left his native land sailed for America. On reaching New York, and he went by canal to Buffalo and thence by steamer to Milwaukee. Two months had elapsed from the time when he embarked until he reached his destination. He first located on section 28 in the town of Manchester, where he purchased 224 acres of land. Not a furrow had been turned or an improvement made. He at once erected a log cabin, which was known as "the castle" as it was the highest building in the state at that time. He then devoted his entire energies to the development of a farm and in the course of time the broad acres paid a golden tribute to his care and cultivation. He made many excellent improvements, erected all the necessary buildings and in a few short years had a comfortable house for himself and family. He continued to engage in farming until his death, which occurred in 1874. He survived his wife about fourteen years, she having been called home in 1860, aged 65 years. Mr. Williams was ever ready to support the interests of the community which tended to promote the general welfare and the cause of education found in him a warm friend. He was an earnest Christian gentleman, a member of the Calvanistic Church and was respected by all who knew him. [Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Green Lake, Marquette and Waushara Counties, Wisconsin, Chicago: Acme Publishing, 1890. - Submitted by Amanda Jowers]
HARRISON WILSON, an energetic and enterprising farmer living on section 4, township 141, range 58 west, was born in Franklin county. New York, September 18, 1852, and on the paternal side comes of good old Revolutionary stock, his grandmother having had two brothers who fought for American independence, and were killed in the battle of Plattsburg, New York. He is also a direct descendant of the Wilson who came to this country in the Mayflower. His father, Asa Wilson, a farmer by occupation, was born in Vermont, in 1800, and died on the old homestead in the Empire state at the age of seventy-five years, while his mother, who bore the maiden name of Saphrona Corey, was born in New Hampshire, in 1805, and died in New York, at the age of sixty-one. Our subject was reared in much the usual manner of farmer boys of his day, attending the local schools, and assisting in the labors of the farm until sixteen years of age. He then traveled for a time in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont after which he returned home and remained under the parental roof for two years. Deciding to try his fortune in the West, he accordingly went to Berlin, Wisconsin, and later to Amboy, Illinois, where he remained for six months. He then made a trip to St. Joseph, Michigan, and worked in a sawmill at that place for a short time. Subsequently he returned to Berlin, Wisconsin, and from there went to Linn county, Iowa, where he lived for three years on a farm near Center Point. His next home was in Cass county, that state, where he worked for two summers, and at the end of the second season returned to Linn county, from which place he left for with a drove of horses in 1879. He located at Wilmer and remained there about a year. In 1880 he came to Barnes county, North Dakota, and took up a pre-emption on the northwest quarter of section 4, township 141, range 58 west, but operated rented land for four years. Since then he has given his entire time and attention to the cultivation and improvement of his own farm, and now owns the east half of section 4, and the northwest quarter of section 2, the same township, which he has transformed into one of the most desirable farms of its size in the township. At Morris, Clinton county. New York, in 1886, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Wilson and Miss Ida M. Ney, who was born there October 23, 1850, a daughter of Robert and Martha Ney. They now have one son, Benjamin, born October 9, 1888. A portrait of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson is shown on another page. In his political affiliations Mr. Wilson is a Republican, but devotes very little time to politics. He has served as director on the school board, and is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. [ Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails