Patrick Auger, a Canadian by birth, is one of the most extensive land owners and farmers in Saxon, Iron Co., Wis. Lewis Auger, father of Patrick, was born in Canada and was engaged in the lumber business there until 1886. He then came to Saxon and took up a homestead claim of 160 acres, on which he lived until his death, March 25, 1900. His wife survives him, making her home with her son, Patrick. Five of her six children are living, Patrick being the third eldest.
Patrick Auger was born in Canada May 1, 1868, son of Lewis and Zua (Bartlett) Auger, also Canadians. His educational opportunities were very limited, and at the age of thirteen he went to work in a sawmill. After four years at that work he went to Bay City, Mich., where he remained nine years working in the lumber woods during the winters, and on the river in the summers. He then went to Ashland, being employed as a logger, and also for a time as cook in a lumber camp. In the fall of 1885 he came to Saxon, and homesteaded a claim of 160 acres, moving into this claim the following spring and beginning to cut square timber for the Ashland mine. The next year he returned to Ashland, where for a short time he kept a boarding house for Hayes Brothers, proprietors of the Ashland mine. His next move was to Hurley, where he carried on another boarding house. After this he came again to Saxon and built the “Saxon House,” which he conducted for nearly two years. Returning to his farm he raised a little stock and did some logging, and in 1890 again took charge of the “Saxon House” for a time. In 1893 he established himself in the charcoal and cord wood business, which he carried on for ten years. He is engaged at present in logging for the Ashland Iron and Steel Company. In the fall of 1891 he opened a general store in Saxon, which he still owns and which is managed by his son, Arthur. His chief interest is in his farming, in which he engages more extensively than any other agriculturist of Iron county. He is the owner of 960 acres of land, of which 300 are clear and on which he raises large crops of hay, oats and potatoes. At present he has 100 head of cattle, 50 head of sheep, 60 hogs and 14 horses. On May 13, 1881, Mr. Auger married Alvira Dargis, of Canada, daughter of Peter and Edmer (Hamelen) Dargis, both natives of Canada. Mr. Dargis, a farmer by occupation, now lives in retirement in Canada, where his wife died in 1872. But four of their six children are living, Mrs. Auger being next to the youngest. To Mr. and Mrs. Auger have been born the following children: Arthur; Lillian M.; Dalida F.; Carman, deceased; Carmen L.; William O. and Waldorf. The family are members of the Catholic church. Mr. Auger is a Republican in politics. Fraternally he is a member of the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, No. 91, of Hurley. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
James Blackburn (deceased) was one of the oldest residents of Hurley, Iron county, where he settled in 1884 and engaged in the real estate business, in which he was occupied until his death, which occurred January 30, 1904.
Robert Blackburn, father of James, was a thread merchant in Scotland, following that business in Glasgow until he was fifty years of age. He then came with his family to Ontario, Canada, where he engaged in the same occupation until obliged to retire on account of old age. He married Robina Buchan, like himself a native of Scotland, who passed away at the age of sixty-two. He died in his seventy-eighth year. Of their family of four children James was the last survivor.
James Blackburn was born in Glasgow Feb. 3, 1836, and when he was twelve years of age came to America with his parents. At the age of fifteen he began work for himself on the water, shipping as a common sailor, and following the sea for a few years. He then enlisted in the Queen’s army in Canada. He entered the service as a private in the Rifles, and rose to the position of captain and pay master in the artillery during his fifteen years’ service. In 1878 he left the army and came to the United States. He secured a position with the Northwestern Railway Company, then known as the Lake Shore, as pay master, retaining the place until 1884, when he came to Hurley. Here he went into the real estate business, in which he ever after engaged. He had other interests as well, having served as justice of the peace and court commissioner from 1887, elected on the Republican ticket. He was also chairman and supervisor of the town, and a member of the county board, when it was all known as Ashland county.
On Oct. 3, 1859, in Canada, Mr. Blackburn married Georgianna M. Cooke, daughter of James and Maria (O’Connor) Cooke, both natives of Canada. They had a family of six children, of whom Mrs. Blackburn was the eldest. James Cooke spent many years of his life as a lumberman and died in Canada in 1873. His wife died at the home of Mr. Blackburn, in Hurley, at the age of ninety-two. To Mr. and Mrs. Blackburn were born ten children, of whom seven are living, namely: Jessie, widow of William E. Fitzgerald, of Milwaukee; Anna, wife of A. D. Garner, of Ironwood, Mich.; Robert, a lumberman of Milwaukee; Dunbar, an employee in the mines in Ironbelt, Wis.; Georgianna, wife of N. O. Lawton, of Ironbelt; Gordon, bookkeeper for the American Ship Building Company, in Milwaukee; and Ralph, an employee in the mines at Ironbelt. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Blackburn was a Mason from 1859, affiliating with Blue Lodge, No. 237, A.F. & A.M., at Hurley. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Joseph John Defer
Joseph John Defer is a merchant and lumberman of Saxon, Iron Co., Wis., where he has made his home since 1886. He was born in Detroit, Mich., Oct. 21, 1866, son of Henry and Emily (Whitmore) Defer, the latter also a native of Detroit.
Henry Defer was born in Switzerland and came to the United States when a young man. He settled in Detroit, where he married Emily Whitmore, by whom he had a family of six children. Of these, four are still living, the next to the eldest being Joseph J. Mr. Defer was always active in politics and always held some office. During the war he was connected for three years with a Michigan cavalry regiment and returning to Detroit after the war, was elected to the sheriff’s office of Wayne county. He died in Detroit in 1875. His wife, who survives him, makes her home with their son, Joseph John.
Joseph J. Defer had almost no opportunities for schooling, going to work when he was only twelve years of age. For two years he worked on a farm and then went to Newberry, Mich., where he was employed in the lumber woods. In 1886 he came to Saxon and worked in a lumber camp for two years, after which he began logging on his own account, an occupation which he still follows. In 1887 he built the sawmill at Saxon and a year later opened a general store, continuing to the present time the management of both of these industries. He owns considerable timber land in his part of the State.
In May, 1900, Mr. Defer married Anna Darling, of Waupaca county, Wis., and they have one child, Joseph R. Mr. Defer has been chairman of the town for the last ten years and is at present serving his second term as president of the school board. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Louis Philippe L. Gaillardet, M.D.
Louis Philippe L. Gaillardet, M.D., formerly a successful practitioner of Hurley, Iron Co., Wis., but now residing in Chippewa Falls, is a physician of wide experience. He is a native of France, having been born in Toulouse, Aug. 27, 1857, son of John and Ore (Houle) Gaillardet. The latter died when he was three months old. John Gaillardet, a stone cutter and mason by trade, was a contractor in Toulouse, where he lived until 1860. In that year he brought his family to Canada, settling in St. Gregoire, Province of Quebec. His death occurred in Montreal, June 6, 1890.
When he was eight years old Louis Philippe L. Gaillardet entered the Jesuit College in Montreal, where he took the full course of study, covering seven years. After graduating from college he took a four years’ medical course at the Victorian University in Montreal, receiving his degree Nov. 27, 1878. He began his practice in Canada, after a time going to Chicago, and later to Coleman, Wis., meeting with success in each place. Nov. 8, 1901, he came to Hurley where he built up a large practice.
On Sept. 20, 1896, Dr. Gaillardet married Cecilia Chalifoux, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Chalifoux, both residents of Chicago. Mrs. Chalifoux died in 1887; her husband still lives in Chicago, where he is proprietor of the oldest established undertaking business in the city. To Dr. and Mrs. Gaillardet was born one child, since deceased.
Dr. Gaillardet was health officer of Hurley, and medical examiner for the Northwestern Life Insurance Company of Minneapolis, the Lady Foresters, the Ladies of the Maccabees, the Royal Neighbors of America, St. Michael’s Polish Society, and the Italian Foresters of America. He is a member of Lodge 51, A.O.U.W., at Hurley, president and medical examiner of St. John’s Society, and member and medical examiner of St. John’s Court, No. 274, Catholic Order of Foresters. He is a member of the Iron County Medical Society (of which he is vice-president), of the Wisconsin State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. The Doctor has taken an active part in Republican politics for many years, his knowledge of French making him a valuable orator in local campaigns. He has the reputation of being one of the best public speakers in French in this country, and his services are in demand during every national election. He and his wife are both communicants of the Catholic Church. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
F. B. Hand
F. B. Hand, editor of the Montreal Miner, has had a wide experience in newspaper work in different States. He came to Hurley, Iron county, in 1886, where, with the exception of a year spent in Arkansas, he has since resided. He was born Aug. 25, 1854, in Walworth county, Wis., son of Nathan and Caroline (Hand) Hand, both natives of New York State. Nathan Hand was a farmer in New York and later in Walworth county, Wis., where he died in 1895. His wife passed away in 1879.
When almost sixteen years of age F.B. Hand left home and was employed in various ways, finally learning the trade of printer. He worked at his trade in different places, and in 1877 opened a printing office of his own in Reinbeck, Iowa. After leaving there he conducted newspapers in several different places in various States, coming in 1886 to Hurley, where he took charge of the Iron Tribune. This paper he carried on until 1892, when he sold out his interests and moved to Arkansas, where he was connected with several newspapers. After two years in Arkansas, Michigan and Iowa he returned to Hurley and bought the Montreal River Miner, a weekly paper, which he continues to publish. He also has a half interest in the Bessemer Herald, the Ribb Herald and the Lake Nebagamon Enterprise, and does considerable job printing.
Mr. Hand married April 26, 1898, Elizabeth Gardner, of Spencer, Wis. He is a member of the F. & A.M., Blue Lodge, No. 237, of Hurley. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
William Henry Lucia
William Henry Lucia is the leading grocer of Hurley, Iron county, where he has been a resident for the last dozen years. He is a native of Wisconsin, born in Brown county, Sept. 17, 1860. His parents, Charles J. and Caroline (Cook) Lucia, were both natives of New York State. C. J. Lucia remained at home on his father’s farm until he was twenty-one, when he moved to Brown county, Wis. There he went to farming and also engaged in the lumber business. He had a family of six children, as follows: Irvan J., a lumberman at Hurley; W.H.; Etta, wife of Lawrence Head, a mill man at Ashland; Anna, wife of Frank Dunham, of Dodge Center, Minn.; Charles and George, living on the home farm with their father. The mother died in November, 1899.
William H. Lucia attended the public schools of Brown county as a boy, and then worked at farming and in the lumber woods until he was twenty-one. In 1886 he went to the lumber region of Northern Wisconsin, and of Michigan, where he was employed for a time, after which he went into the grocery business at Black River, Mich. He remained there until the winter of 1888, which he spent on the home farm. The following spring he came to Hurley, where he was associated in the grocery business with M. Forslund & Co. until 1890, when the firm was dissolved. The business was then carried on by H. W. Darrow and W. H. Lucia, until 1899, when Mr. Darrow left the firm and the business has since been conducted solely by Mr. Lucia. He carries a large and well selected line of groceries, crockery, etc., and employs five clerks and delivery men.
Mr. Lucia married, June 26, 1882, Sarah Allen, daughter of John and Kate Allen, who were natives of Ireland. They first settled in Canada on coming to this country, later moving to Pittsfield, Brown Co., Wis., where they make their home at present. To Mr. and Mrs. Lucia have been born three children, as follows: Elsie, deceased in infancy; William A. and John A., aged respectively twelve and ten years, and both attending school. Mr. Lucia is a Republican in politics, and has filled several elective offices. He was chairman of the town in 1887 and 1888, and chairman of the county board in 1888 and 1903. He also served as county treasurer in 1899 and 1900, and as sheriff from 1901 to 1903. He is a Mason, a member of Blue Lodge No. 237, of Hurley; and of Ashland Chapter, No. 58. He is a charter member of the K. of P., No. 88, of Hurley, and also belongs to the Uniform Rank, No. 24. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Patrick Henry Meade
Patrick Henry Meade, a successful lumberman, has been a resident of Hurley, Iron Co., Wis., since 1890. His father, John Meade, was born in Ireland and when six years of age came with his parents to the United States. They settled at Leadmine, Wis., and when he was sixteen John left home, going to Missouri and other States, where he was principally engaged in mining. He then located at Ontonagon, Mich., living there for forty years. He is now living in Montreal, Wis., where he carries on a grocery store. He married Susan Hurley, also a native of Ireland, and they had a family of nine children, of whom Patrick Henry is the eldest.
Patrick Henry Meade was born in Ontonagon, Mich., Aug. 21, 1861, and attended the public schools in his native town until he was fourteen years old. After leaving school he worked with his father for ten years and then for another five years was employed in various ways, mostly in the lumber woods, until coming to Hurley. He arrived there in 1890 and immediately went into the lumber business, which occupation he has ever since followed with flattering success.
Mr. Meade married, July 14, 1889, Maggie Kerwick, of Ontonagon, Mich., daughter of John Kerwick, a native of Ireland. Mr. Kerwick has all his life followed the occupation of a miner and is at present living in Ontonagon. His wife died in 1867. To Mr. and Mrs. Meade have been born two children, Margaretta M., aged nine; and Anna, deceased. The family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Meade is a Democrat in politics and in 1894 was the candidate of that party for sheriff of Iron county. Although defeated it was only by eighty votes, and he ran 800 ahead of his ticket. He is a member of the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, No. 274, Hurley, of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, and of the Knights of Columbus. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
John E. Sealy
John E. Sealy, sheriff of Iron county, has been a well known citizen of Hurley since his coming there in 1866. He is a native of Wisconsin, having been born in Berlin, Green Lake county, Dec. 22, 1858. His parents John E. and Eliza (Higgs) Sealy, were natives, respectively, of Ireland and England. John E. Sealy, Sr., came to the United States when a young man and settled at Fond du Lac, Wis., where he found employment as a well driller. He followed that occupation until his death, which occurred June 1, 1873. His wife survived him only a year. They had a family of five children, off of whom but one are living, John E. being the third eldest.
John E. Sealy attended the public schools in Fond du Lac until he was fifteen years old. He then went to work for a time as a well driller, after which he was employed for a few years in a shingling mill. He next worked at various occupations until 1886, when he came to Hurley. For the past fifteen years he has held some official position, much of the time being connected with the police force in different capacities. At one time he served as under sheriff for ex-Sheriff Frank Logan, and he was also game warden for Iron county. He was then chief of police until 1903, when he was elected sheriff of Iron county, and at present he is filling the office of under sheriff for J. J. Defer.
On March 22, 1885, Mr. Sealy married Nettie Trader, daughter of Henry and Alvira (Thrusher) Trader. For many years Mr. Trader was a liveryman of New London, but he and his wife are now living on a farm in Outagamie county, Wis. Mrs. Sealy was the eldest of their family of six children. To Mr. and Mrs. Sealy have been born the following children: Florence, Earl, John, Maud, Marie and Clarence, at home, and Arthur, deceased. Mr. Sealy is a Republican in politics. Fraternally he is a member of the K. of P., Gogebic Lodge No. 88, of Hurley, and the A.O.U.W., Northern Lodge No. 51, of Hurley. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Dexter Havens Smith, M.D.
Dexter Havens Smith, M.D., is a successful physician of Hurley, Iron county, where he has been in active practice for the last two or three years. He was born in Weedsport, N.Y., July 23, 1866, son of John H. and Julia A. (Havens) Smith. John H. Smith was a native of Sherburne, Chenango Co., N.Y., where he grew up and attended school. After leaving school he learned the trade of carpenter, at which he worked for a time in his native town. He soon, however, moved to Weedsport, where he went into the grain business, becoming the owner of an elevator which he operated for some time. Later he went to California by way of the Isthmus of Panama, settling for a while in San Francisco. He did some prospecting and was fairly successful, but owing to the accidental death of his friend and partner, returned to the East, and again went into the grain elevator business at Weedsport. In 1869 he sold out his elevator interests, went to Denver, and then to Golden, Colo. In the latter place he engaged in the hay, grain and stock business until 1878, when he became interested in the water supply of Denver and thenceforth devoted himself to that business. He died in 1893, leaving considerable property. His wife is still living, making her home with her daughter in Milwaukee.
D. H. Smith was only three years old when his parents moved to Colorado and he began his education in the public schools of Denver. This was supplemented by a course in the University of Denver, where he obtained his degree of A.M. After this he took a medical course, graduating in 1895 with the degree of M.D. Previous to his graduation he secured a special license and began his medical practice in 1891, as surgeon of the Denver police and fire departments. After receiving his diploma he practiced medicine in Denver until 1900, when he moved to Milwaukee. After a brief stay in that city he moved to Hurley, where he has already built up a considerable practice and is meeting with much success.
On April 13, 1897, Dr. Smith married Adelia Murray, daughter of Thomas and Hannah Murray, both natives of Canada. Mr. Murray was for many years in the oil business in Denver, where he died in 1892. His wife still resides in Denver. Mrs. Smith is a graduate nurse of St. Luke’s hospital of Denver, and her professional knowledge and skill make her a valuable assistant to the doctor. Dr. Smith was surgeon to the high school cadets in Denver, and is at present medical examiner for the A.O.U.W., of Hurley. He is a member of that order, Northern Camp No. 51, of Hurley, and of the Eagles, No. 247, also of Hurley. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
J. W. Tarter, M.D.
The life of a physician is always an interesting as well as a useful one, though to outward seeming common-place, and to a man whose whole nature is absorbed in his chosen profession, life must ever be full of the keenest interest. Among the younger practitioners, rapidly winning a leading place, is Dr. J.W. Tarter. He was born in Rural Retreat, Va., May 31, 1871, a son of Ephraim A. and E. Jane (Hounshell) Tarter, both natives of that place.
The families on both sides are of Pennsylvania German descent, and have been residents of Virginia for three generations. E.A. Tarter, with the loyalty of a true Southerner, enlisted when only sixteen, in a Confederate regiment, formed in Virginia, and served two years. His occupation was that of a farmer and stock raiser. He was the father of eight children, six of whom are living. He himself died Aug. 24, 1885, at the early age of forty-one years and six months.
J. W. Tarter was brought up on his father’s farm, but contrary to the lot of so many farmers’ sons, attended school steadily, and received a fair education. Beginning at his home school he entered an academy in his native town when he was eighteen, spent another year at Asbury Academy, and two years at Roanoke College, Salem, Va. This completed his strictly literary education, but that was merely the foundation for his medical studies. The first year of his professional reading was done with Dr. William R. Straw, deceased, and then in the fall of 1892 he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Baltimore, from which he was graduated in April, 1895. After passing the examinations of the Virginia State Medical Board, which admitted him to practice, he located at Crocketts, Va., where he spent his first year as a medical practitioner. Deciding that the West offered a better chance for an earnest and ambitious young physician, he went to Ashland, Wis., in July, 1896, but after looking over the territory Iron River appeared to be the more promising location, and he settled there permanently. The doctor has devoted himself assiduously to his practice, and his professional skill and pleasing address have enabled him to build up a large practice extending over a considerable area of the country.
Dr. Tarter was married Aug. 31, 1898, to Miss Ivis H. Peterson, a native of Winneconne, Winnebago Co., Wis., before her marriage a teacher in the public schools of Iron River. They have two children; a daughter, Virginia, and a son, George.
A man of social nature, Dr. Tarter is a member of several organizations; he is a Mason, Mt. Airy Lodge, No. 226, Rural Retreat, Va., and is also a member of the M.W. of A. The doctor and his wife are both identified with the United Order of Foresters, are popular socially and have many warm friends. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
W. D. Tyler
W. D. Tyler, now serving his second term as county clerk of Iron county, has been for several years a resident of Hurley. He was born on a farm in Manitowoc county, Wis., March 22, 1861, his parents being J.O. and Lauretta (Rickaby) Tyler, both natives of New York State. J.O. Tyler was brought up on a farm and followed the occupation of farmer in New York State until he was twenty-one years of age. He then came to Wisconsin and settled on a farm in Manitowoc county, where he passed the remainder of his life, dying in 1895. He served five years in the Union army during the Civil war, as a member of the 14th W.V.I., and was wounded in the left hip at the battle of Cold Harbor. His wife died on the Wisconsin farm in 1888. Their children were as follows: H.M., a merchant of Northport, Wis.; Alvira, deceased; W.D.; Bertha, deceased; Emma, wife of J. E. Daefter, of Marinette, Wis.; Eva, wife of E. C. Barrows, of Nashville Center, Minn.; and Almira, wife of W. E. Wallace, of Truman, Minnesota.
W. D. Tyler, like his father before him, grew up on the farm. He received but little education and at the age of thirteen left home and went into the lumber regions of Wisconsin, where he worked for six years. He then tried his fortune in North Dakota, finding employment there at various occupations for five years. Returning to his native State, he secured employment with the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company, as agent at Glenbeulah. He remained with the Northwestern road for thirteen years, acting as agent at different stations, his longest stay being at Saxon, where he was agent for ten years. In 1900 he was elected as the Republican candidate for county clerk of Iron county and is now serving his second term in that office, his residence being in Hurley.
On Oct. 26, 1892, Mr. Tyler married Lillian Barrows, of Winnebago City, Minn., and they have two children, Lyle, aged eleven, and Laura, seven, both attending school. Mr. Tyler is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, Iron Ore Camp No. 3718, of Hurley, and of Gogebic Camp No. 88, Knights of Pythias. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Hon. A. Wanzer
Hon. A. Wanzer has been a resident of Hurley, Wis., since 1891 and since 1898 has served as county judge for Iron county. He was born Feb. 11, 1840, in New York City, son of Moses and Mary (Wittemore) Wanzer, the former a native of Connecticut and the latter of Vermont. Moses Wanzer was brought up on a farm, and had little opportunity for schooling. He went to New York City when a young man, where he became a wholesale clothing manufacturer, an occupation in which he was engaged until his death in 1856. His wife survived him until 1866.
A Wanzer was brought up in New York City and attended boarding school in Yonkers, N.Y., until he was seventeen. He then began his business life as a clerk in a wholesale hardware house in New York City, where he remained five years. After that he went to Houghton, Mich., being employed there in different capacities for two years. He next accepted a government position in Minnesota, as superintendent of the Winnebogorish Dam, remaining three years. He then went to St. Paul and opened a grocery store, but meeting with indifferent success, sold out this business and accepted the appointment of inspector of streets in St. Paul, which he held for four years. In 1891 he came to Hurley, being employed as bookkeeper in the mines, and at the same time carrying on an insurance business. In 1898 he was elected on the Republican ticket county judge of Iron county, in which position he is now filling his second term.
Judge Wanzer was married (first) in 1868, to Maud Funston, of Houghton, Mich., and she became the mother of the following children: Albert, deceased; Mary, at home; and Edward J., in the mining industry at Stambaugh, Mich. Mrs. Maud (Funston) Wanzer died in 1875, and the Judge married (second) Emma D. Dodge, of Jackson, Mich. The children of the second union are Fanny and James, both at home. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
C. H. Williams
C. H. Williams, county treasurer of Iron county, has lived in Hurley since 1889. He was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., Nov. 16, 1855, son of H. G. and Susan (Stoup) Williams. His father was an Englishman by birth and came to the United States in his youth. For a few years he made his home in Ann Arbor, where he married, his wife being a native of that place, and later moved to Northern Michigan, where he engaged in mining. After eight years spent in the mining industry, he went to farming in Minnesota. He has now retired from active life and he and his wife live with a married daughter in Minneapolis. Mr. Williams is in his seventy-fifth year, his wife ten years his junior. They were the parents of the following children: C. H.; Emma, wife of H. I. Longworth, of Minneapolis; George, a farmer in Ramsey county, N. Dak.; Ella, wife of C. P. Colby, of Minneapolis; Susan, deceased; Howard, an employee in the mines at Eveleth, Minn.; and Earl, an engineer in the same mines.
C. H. Williams passed his early boyhood in Ann Arbor, where he attended the public schools until he was sixteen. He then obtained employment in the office of a mining company in Northern Michigan, where his father was engaged, working there for a year. After that he went to Stearns county, Minn., where he engaged in farming. He sold his farm after a time and came to Hurley, securing a position in the office of the Cary Mine, where he remained for four years, and he was superintendent of the same mine from 1895 to 1901. In 1900 he was elected county treasurer of Iron county, and is at present serving his second term in that office.
Mr. Williams married Jan. 19, 1879, Florence A. Kemp, daughter of Steven Kemp, a farmer of Fairhaven, Minn. To this union have been born the following children: Arthur and Fred, both engineers in the Cary Mine at Hurley; Lillian, Roy, Eugene, Mabel, Roderick and Everett, all living at home. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails