ABBETMEYER Charles D, St Paul. Res 1222 St Anthony av, office Concordia College. Educator. Born Aug 19, 1867 in Bodenteich Hannover Germany, son of Carl and Marie (Busse) Abbetmeyer. Married June 14, 1888 to Matilda Meckelburg. Educated in public and private schools of Nicollet and St Peter Minn; graduated from Northwestern University Watertown Wis, B A; U of M, Ph D 1900 and Johns Hopkins Univ Baltimore Md. Evang Luth Pastor E Farmington Wis 1890-96; St Paul (West Side) 1896-98; Baltimore Md 1898-1902. Teacher of English Concordia College St Paul. Author of “Lutheran Forms for Sacred Acts” 1904; editor of "Young Lutherans’ Magazine." [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore]
Martin N. Barber, M.D.
WATERTOWN: The subject of this biography, a native of Monroe County, New York, was born on the 11th of March 1821, the son of Ira and Hannah Barber. His father was a blacksmith by occupation, and both he and his wife were highly respected in their community for their upright, industrious lives. Martin received his education at Rochester, New York, and afterward engaged in teaching, thereby accumulating means wherewith to defray his expenses while studying for his profession. In 1840 he settled in La Porte, Indiana, and there began the study of medicine, and four years later graduated from the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio. Returning to La Porte he continued there in the practice of his profession one year, and in 1846 removed to Racine, Wisconsin. Engaging in his profession he continued it with varying success for two years, and in 1848 removed to Watertown, and there established himself in that medical practice which has since extended with the rapid increase of population, and for many years Dr. Barber has been extensively known as a skillful and successful practitioner. Socially he is a man of most excellent qualities, and has made many warm friends.
In political sentiment he has been identified with the republican party since its organization in 1856. He is a member of the Illinois Eclectic Medical Institute, and also a member of the Wisconsin Eclectic Medical Institute.
He is a consistent member of the Baptist Church.
Dr. Barber is a man of much practical knowledge, and in his travels over most of the eastern and western States has, by careful observation, acquired much valuable information concerning men and things.
He was married in November 1847, to Miss Jane L. Hartwell, and by her has one son and one daughter. Mrs. Barber died in 1859, and in 1867 he married Eliza S. Young, and by her also has one son and one daughter. Such is a brief outline of one who, by honest effort, has made his way from comparative obscurity to a position of respectability and social worth, and his life history is worthy a place among the self-made men of Wisconsin. Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan
Joseph Bray Bennett
JOSEPH BRAY BENNETT (Rep.), of Watertown, Jefferson county, was born in Bolton, Lancashire, England, February 23, 1833; received a common school education, is by occupation a machinist, iron-founder and threshing machine manufacture; came to Wisconsin in 186x, and settled in Milwaukee, from which place he removed to Watertown in 1869, where he has since resided; was a member of the board of supervisors of Jefferson county in 1874, and an alderman in the 1st ward of the city of Watertown in 1875 and 1878; elected to the state senate for 1879-’80 at a special election held January 21, 1879, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of senator-elect Charles H. Phillips, receiving 2,413 votes against 2,005 for Walter Green, Democrat, and 359 for George Bishop, Greenbacker. [Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
George W. Bird
George W Bird, Jefferson, was born in Milwaukee, July 28, 1837. After a preparatory course, he entered the Slate University, from which he graduated in June, 1860. He commenced the study of law, July 5, 1860, in the office of Smith, Keyes & Gay, at Madison; was admitted to the bar two years later, and established himself in practice at Jefferson in 1863, where he has made his home to the present day. In May, 1864, he enlisted in Company D, Fortieth Wisconsin regiment of three-months men, and was mustered out in September 1864. Returning to his profession at Jefferson, he held the office of county superintendent of schools from 1866 to 1870; was private secretary to Governor W. R. Taylor, during his administration, and member of his staff; was two years member of the county board; was chairman of the town board, and delegate to the national democratic convention of 1876 that nominated S. J. Tilden for President, at St. Louis. Colonel Bird married Maria S. Sawin, October 2, 1864, and has four children. He is now in partnership in the practice of law at Jefferson, with his brother, I. W. Bird, under the title of I. W. &. G. W. Bird, and doing a leading business. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Ira W. Bird
Ira W. Bird, Jefferson, was born in Oneida county. New York, in 1819, and with such outfit as was then supplied by the common school, came to Wisconsin in 1836; remained in Milwaukee upon a claim, and clerked in a store until 1838, and then went to Madison, and was employed as one of the working hands upon the old capitol. In 1841 he was elected register of deeds of Dane county, and held that office three years, was sheriff of Dane county one term, studied law with Thomas W. Sutherland, was admitted to the bar and commenced practicing law at Madison in 1847. He represented the Madison assembly district in the legislature in 1849. In 1850 he went to California by the way of Salt Lake, and in that city tried a suit in the tabernacle of the saints. While in California Mr. Bird was city attorney of San Diego, quartermaster and commissary of an expedition fitted out by the state to protect the settlers in southern California from Indian depredations, and in the winter of 1852 he was employed to assist the engrossing clerk of the senate at a session of the legislature held at Sacramento. In the summer of 1852 Mr. Bird returned to Madison, and in December of that year married Antoinette Ruby, youngest daughter of Jeremiah and Maria Brayton, of Aztalan in 1854, moved to Jefferson, and two children, Ella Antoinette and Jessie Louise, were born of that marriage. Jessie died in infancy. Ella is the wife of R. B. Kirkland, of Jefferson. Mrs. Bird, with the roses of youth still blooming upon her cheek, was smitten by the destroyer, in early womanhood, and fell, loved and mourned, as only an affectionate daughter, generous sister, loving wife, tender mother and considerate friend may be loved and mourned. In 1864 Mr. Bird married Emily Mary, daughter of A.T. and Lydia W. Howes, of Jefferson, and four children blessed this union, Ralph, Belle, Janet and Edgar, all of whom are living but Edgar, who died in infancy. Since Mr. Bird has lived in Jefferson he has held nearly every office in the village, city, town and county, among which may be mentioned president of the village, mayor of the city, chairman of the town, county clerk, clerk of the circuit court, justice of the peace, and county judge. Though a member of the law firm of I. W. & G. W. Bird, Mr. Bird devotes the most of his time to the improvement of a stock farm, owned by the firm, near the city of Jefferson. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Rinaldo R. Briggs
BRIGGS Rinaldo R, Duluth. Office 900 Torrey bldg. Lawyer. Born April 20, 1851 in Lake Mills Wis, son of Silas H and Sarah Ann (Reed) Briggs. Married July 4, 1875 to Lizzie Bascombe. Educated in the common schools of Wis and high school at Winona Minn. Studied law in Winona and was admitted to the bar in 1873. Practiced in Winona and Moorhead 1873-90. Moved to Duluth 1890 and has been continuously engaged in general practice to date. Has large interests in various firms and corporations. Member Minn State and American Bar assns; Commercial Club Duluth; delegate to gen conference M E Church 1884. [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Nelson Bruett, Jefferson, was born at Mussena Springs, New York, August 14, 1828, and his parents were Francis Bruett and Mary DeLerba Bruett He was educated at Gouvernuer, Wesleyan Seminary, St. Lawrence county, New York; commenced studying law with Holmes & Merriman in 1856, at Jefferson, Wisconsin; was admitted to the bar at Jefferson in 1859, by Harlow S. Orton, circuit judge; commenced practice at Jefferson with John K. Holmes, in 1859, and continued the association with him until the breaking out of the war in 1861. He then enlisted in July, 1861, in the First Wisconsin cavalry; was captain of Company D, and was discharged for disability, in August 1863. His health was so much impaired that he did not resume the practice of law until 1875, since which time he has been, and is now, in practice at Jefferson, Wisconsin. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
John Dwight Bullock
JOHN DWIGHT BULLOCK (Rep.), of Johnson's Creek, Jefferson county, was born in the town of Ephratah, Fulton county, N. Y., August 5, 1836; received a common school education; is a contractor; came to Wisconsin in 1861, and settled at Johnson's Creek, where he has continued to reside. Member of assembly for 1878 and 1879, and re-elected for 1880, receiving 974 votes against 517 for W. L. Hoskins, democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
Addison Edgerlon Cady
Cady, Addison Edgerlon, wholesale grocer, banker and statesman of St. Paul, Neb., was born Dec. 7, 1853, in Watertown, Wis. He is president of the Nebraska Mercantile company; and has been a state representative and a state senator. [Source: Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association (1914) tk, Transcribed by AFOFG]
Isaac T. Carr
ISAAC T. CARR, chief clerk of the assembly, of Jefferson, Wis., was born July 5, 1831, in the town of Henriette, Monroe county, New York; received a common school education; is an editor and printer, and publishes the Jefferson county Banner; came to Wisconsin in 1860 and located at Shullsburg; removed to Monroe in 1862 and thence to Jefferson in 1878; enlisted as a private in Co. G, 22d Wis. Vol. Inf., August 6, 1862; was promoted to first lieutenant Co. K, 16th Wis. Inf., December, 1863, and resigned Sept. 20, 1864; commissioned captain Co. A., 46th Wis. Vols., January 5, 1865, and was mustered out October 10, 1865; he was a delegate in 1876 to the democratic national convention at St. Louis; he is a democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 508; transcribed by Susan Geist]
Chester A. Caswell
Chester A. Caswell, Fort Atkinson, was born at Fort Atkinson, June 8, 1856. He was educated at the high school in Fort Atkinson and Slate University in Madison; attended law school at the University, and was admitted to the bar in 1877. He formed a copartnership with his father, L. B. Caswell, under the firm of L. B. & C.A. Caswell, and has so continued to the present time in practice. He has principal charge of the office while the senior partner is absent, which is a large portion of the time. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Lucien B. Caswell
LUCIEN B. CASWELL, Fort Atkinson, the son of Beal and Betsey Caswell, was born at Swanton, Vermont, on the 27th of November, 1827. When he had reached the age of nine years, his parents removed to Wisconsin, being among the earliest settlers of what was then a territory and a remote frontier. He attended Milton Academy and subsequently took a partial course of instruction at Beloit College. His legal studies were begun in the office of Mathew H. Carpenter, at Beloit, and he was admitted to the bar in October 1851, by the circuit court for Jefferson county, which was at that term presided over by Timothy O. Howe. He entered upon the practice of law at Fort Atkinson, where he still resides. He has recently associated with himself, his son, Chester A. Caswell, but has never before had a partner in his professional labors. In addition to his legal business, Mr. Caswell has interested himself in banks and manufactories, in which he has exercised energy and excellent judgment. Mr. Caswell was chosen district-attorney of Jefferson county in 1854. In 1863, and in 1872 and 1874, he served as a member of the legislative assembly, in which body he was at once recognized as the leader of his party, and a legislator of eminent capacity. In September, 1863, he was appointed commissioner of the board of enrollment, for the second district of Wisconsin, and during the drafts that followed to reinforce the army of the Union, he discharged the delicate and trying duties of his position with great ability and unswerving fidelity. He was a delegate to the republican national convention at Chicago, in 1868, which placed General Grant in nomination. In 1874 Mr. Caswell was nominated by the republicans of his district for congress. This was a year in which his party suffered serious reverses all over the country, which cost them their majority in the house, and his election in a democratic district was a personal rather than a partisan triumph. But it has been Mr. Caswell’s fortune to enjoy, in a rate degree, the esteem of his fellow-citizens, of whatever political convictions, and in his immediate neighborhood the returns always afford conclusive proof of his popularity. He was reelected in 1876, in 1878 and 1880. He has served on the committee of patents, and as a member of the important committee on Pacific railroads, and in that position, has taken a broad national view of these schemes of trans-continental communication. He is an effective speaker, impressing his hearers, more by the abundance of his information and the sincerity of his views, than by the tricks of rhetoric. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Joseph Dorr Clapp
FORT ATKINSON: Among the prudent businessmen and successful financiers of Jefferson County, Wisconsin, is Joseph D. Clapp, a native of Westminster, Windham County, Vermont. He is a son of Caleb and Nancy (Dorr) Clapp, and was born on the 31st of December, 1811. His father, a carpenter and builder, and later in life a woolen manufacturer, owned a small farm, on which the son worked until his seventeenth year, at which time he became a salesman in a West India goods store in Boston, Massachusetts, where he remained until he attained his majority. About two years later, in connection with an elder brother, Mark R. Clapp, he bought a part of the old homestead, and remained upon it a year or two. Selling his interest, he removed to the West, and settled at the place which he afterward named Milford, in Jefferson County, Wisconsin, in the autumn of 1839. Here he entered lands and bought claims in connection with his elder brother; built a log dwelling-house and a frame barn, and opened a farm, which he cultivated until 1857, when he sold out, removed to Fort Atkinson, and engaged in the banking business with his brother-in-law, Hon. L. H. Caswell, member of congress from this district. The institution was called the Koshkonong Bank, and was organized under the State law. In 1864 Messrs. Clapp and Caswell sold their interest in this institution, and organized the First National Bank of Fort Atkinson, Mr. Clapp taking the position of president, which he still holds. By upright dealing and careful management he has attained a good degree of success, and lives in the enjoyment of a liberal competence. Public spirited and generous, he takes an active interest in all that pertains to the welfare of his village, and with wise planning, in an unostentatious manner, aids from time to time in carrying forward important local improvements. In 1863 he was elected to the State senate for a term of two years, and during that time rendered valuable and efficient service on several important committees, and was known as one of the working members. (His brother Mark, who still lives at Milford, has also been a member of the legislature.) Mr. Clapp has always been identified with the democratic party, and during the Civil War was known as a "war democrat," and contributing liberally of his means in putting down the rebellion. Mr. Clapp has been twice married: first to Zida Ann May, of Fort Atkinson, August 21, 1841, and the second time to Mrs. S. C. Weld, of Freeport, Illinois, September 23, 1869. The first wife died February 14, 1867. He has no children by either marriage. In his religious views he is a Universalist.
Mr. Clapp is of a ruddy complexion; is five feet seven and a half inches high, and weighs one hundred and sixty pounds. He has always been a man of temperate and in all respects excellent habits, and although sixty-five years old would pass for a much younger man, and gives every evidence of further years of usefulness. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877), transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
James Cody M.D.
WATERTOWN: James Cody, a gentleman who is practicing the profession of medicine in Watertown, Wisconsin, is the subject of our present brief biographical history. He was born on the 22d day of August, 1820, at St. John’s, the capital of Newfoundland, and was the son of Patrick and Susan Cody. The maiden name of Mrs. Cody was McDonnell. Patrick Cody was engaged as a merchant in the fisheries of Newfoundland. When James had reached an age which rendered it practicable and judicious, he was sent from his home to Montreal, in Canada, for the purpose of commencing and laying the foundation of his education. Here he stayed for some time at the Jesuit College, giving his attention faithfully to his studies. He then removed to Harvard University, and, by the exercise of diligence, and the fact of his possessing a strong liking to the profession he had chosen, graduated in the medical department of the same on the 4th of March, 1844. In 1846 he came to Watertown and commenced the practice of medicine, which he has continued with great success until the present time. Mr. Cody is a believer in the Roman Catholic faith, of which church he is an acknowledged and faithful member. Politically, he has always been a supporter of the democratic party. Although Mr. Cody’s time and attention has been almost entirely occupied and absorbed by the practice and study of the profession for which he has such a strong regard, he allowed himself to be nominated for the office of school superintendent in the city of Watertown, and the voters displayed their appreciation of his many good qualities and his adaptability for the position, by electing him to it. He is also the health officer of the city, and discharges his duties in a conscientious and efficient manner. On the 12th of November, 1848, he was united in marriage with Miss Adeline Rogan, by whom he has had four children. James Marion, born July 22, 1850, and died at the age of fifteen; Edward Dwayne, born June 2, 1853, and died June 13, 1869; Adaline, born July 28, 1855, and William Gordon, born July 20, 1861. Both of the latter are living. [Source: Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self Made Men; Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Pat Houser]
Edwin D. Coe
EDWIN D. COE, chief clerk of the assembly, of Whitewater, Walworth county, was born in the town of Ixonia, Jefferson county, Wis., June 11, 1840; is editor and publisher of the Whitewater Register; entered Wayland University at Beaver Dam in 1856, spent three years there and part of one year at the State University at Madison, but enlisted before graduating; was admitted to the bar of Rock county in 1865; joined Co. A., 2d Wis. Vol. Inf., under the first call for three months volunteers; re-enlisted in 1861 in August, in the 1st Wis. Cavalry and served two years, when he was discharged on account of injuries received in the service; he was member of assembly in 1878 and in 1879; he is a republican. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 564; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Luther A. Cole
WATERTOWN: The second man to settle in Watertown, Wisconsin, was Luther Anderson Cole, a native of Orleans County, Vermont. He is the son of Ebenezer and Martha (West) Cole, and was born in Charleston on the 1st of November 1812. His father was a farmer and carpenter, and Luther worked at both kinds of business with him until his twentieth year, when he spent a few months in a brickyard. He never had any education except what he gained at the common school, and that was quite limited. Soon after attaining his majority he became enamored of the West, and in December 1834, removed to Detroit, Michigan, where he worked at his trade one season. Going in a sailing vessel and via the lakes to Grand Haven in the same State, he remained there until May 10, 1836, when he settled in Milwaukee, and immediately commenced work at his trade. On the 27th of the following December Mr. Cole removed to Johnson's Rapids, now Watertown. There was then one log house in the place, occupied by Timothy Johnson and family. The Winnebago Indians were on the west side of Rock River, and the Pottawatomies and Menomonees on the east side, but they did no mischief, except to pilfer when they had an opportunity. Soon after settling here Mr. Cole whipped one of the Indians for stealing, and that put a stop to the business for some time. John West Cole settled at Watertown a month after his brother, and Ebenezer W., the eldest son in the family, came a few years later. Another brother, Zenas Cobb Cole, has lived there at times, and they are all enterprising men. On reaching this place, his future home, our subject built a log house and entered a claim of a quarter-section of land, which is now in the sixth ward of Watertown, in Dodge County, yet in the city limits. He continued to clear land until it came into market. He proved his preemption in 1838, and in March of the following year, when the sales occurred, he bought lands not only here, but in Dodge County twenty miles northward. As early as 1837 a dam and saw-mill were built here on the east side of the river; Mr. Cole aided on both, working at one dollar per day and board and in 1842 he and E. S. Bailey purchased this mill property on the east side, consisting of seven hundred and fifty acres. They soon erected a gristmill, and added other mills from time to time. Luther Cole and his brother John were the pioneer merchants in Watertown, building a small frame store in 1841, and stocking it with about one thousand dollars worth of merchandise. Milling, however, has been Mr. Cole's main business, he having followed it for twenty-eight years. Some years ago he built a saw-mill and grist-mill in Nebraska, and a flouring-mill a little later, in Colorado. He has since sold all his mill property, both here and elsewhere, and is now (1877) living at his ease and in independence. Mr. Cole has held several town offices. He was sheriff of Jefferson County in 1844 and 1846, and member of the lower branch of the legislature in 1859. In politics, he was a whig until the dissolution of the party, but since that time has been a republican. In 1842 he returned to his native town in Vermont, and married Miss Mary Jane Brackett, by whom he has had four children, two of whom are now living. The elder, Uranah, is the wife of F. L. Clark, of Port Huron, Michigan; the other, Guy L., is a student in the State University. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Henry Colonius, Jefferson, was born in Waechtersbach, March 12, 1831; was educated at Academic Gymnasium, in Hanan, and at Buedingen. Germany; finished course in primus class in full preparation for the University; came to America in 1849, and was eight years engaged in manufacturing cigars in New York city; in 1858 and 1859 he edited the Virginia Staatszeitung, at Wheeling, Virginia; was in the commission business, in Watertown, Wisconsin, for a time, and came to Jefferson in 1862. In 1870 he was elected registrar of deeds, which office he held two terms; served as town clerk in 1875 and 1876, and is now probate judge of Jefferson county. On May 25, 1866, he married Catherine Limper, who is a native of Buedingen, Germany, born February 5, 1849. Mr. Colonius is a member of the Independent Order of Odd-Fellows. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Samuel A. Craig
SAMUEL A. CRAIG (Dem.) of Fort Atkinson, was born April 9, 1842, in Mt. Vernon, Knox county, Ohio; had an Academic education, and graduated in 1867 form Ann Arbor (Michigan University) Law School; is a laborer; has held various local offices; was elected assemblyman for 1880 by 1106 votes against 1067 for J. Whittet, Republican. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
SAMUEL A. CRAIG (Dem.), of Fort Atkinson, was born at Mt. Vernon, Knox county, Ohio, April 9, 1842; had an academic education and graduated in 1867 from the Michigan law school at Ann Arbor; is a lawyer; came with his parents in 1845 to Wisconsin, and settled at Fort Atkinson, where he has since resided; was county superintendent of schools from 1871 to 1875; was member of assembly for 1880 and 1881, and was elected assemblyman for 1883, receiving 1,653 votes, against 1,397 for H. A. Porter, republican and prohibition candidate. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) page 493; transcribed by Tammy Clark]
Joseph & Mary (Clarke) Crandall
(Family’s service in the military)
The Joseph and Mary Clarke Crandall family of Farmington, Jefferson co WI have a strong family background of military service, beginning with Asa Clarke , Marys father, and also Josephs, who fought with the colonials in the Rev war. Joseph himself served in the war of 1812 from New Hampshire. Joseph and Mary had 7 sons and one daughter. 6 of those sons served in the Civil war for the Union, one of whom, Nelson, died at the battle of Chickamauga GA. The son who was unable to serve because of a childhood injury that left him with a limp, Levi Crandall, remained in Jefferson co for his lifetime, taking on the responsibility of the family farm and providing for his mother, Mary, for the final years of her life after her husbands death. Joseph and Marys daughter was Lydia Crandall Collins, whose husband's military experience is discussed on the Genealogy Trails Blue Earth County website
[Sources: rev war and war of 1812 records NARA; Dept of veterans affairs us gov; Diary of Capt. Judge Rodolph Crandall b. 1832. Census 1825 till death of all family members; Military gravestones, obits; Bios submitted by Gloria Lange, a Crandall descendant.]
Jacob J. Enos
Jacob J. Enos, Watertown, was born in Johnstown, Fulton county. New York, July 5, 1816. This was an old colonial settlement, with its forts and castle, founded by Sir William Johnson. Having completed the ordinary course of preparatory studies, he was admitted to the bar of his native state. Like many other enterprising young men about to make a start in life, he came to the promising West, taking up his residence in this city in January, 1844, just thirty-eight years ago. With youth, talents and a new field of achievement in his favor, he at once entered on the practice of his profession, the first regular lawyer in Watertown, with zeal and industry, and by his intelligence and ability soon won the high position at the bar in Jefferson and Dodge counties, and in the slate, which he maintained with unvarying uniformity. Immediately after coming west he received the appointment of court commissioner. In 1848 he was placed on the whig ticket as a presidential elector. Under President Taylor he was postmaster of the city, the duties of which he discharged to general satisfaction. Though holding few official places, he was always an active and influential leader of his party; but while taking a lively interest in political affairs, he, for the most part, preferred to give his time and attention to the demands of his rapidly increasing legal business. In 1853 he formed a partnership with Daniel Hall, which continued twenty one years, and was only dissolved by the death of the senior member of the well-known firm. In tile ripened strength of his maturity and usefulness, his departure caused a wide and sad vacancy in the various circles in which he moved in his profession, in society, and above all and beyond all, in that home which he so tenderly cherished as the aim and end of all his efforts, and to which, amidst all his cares and toils, he ever fondly turned as the center of his serenest happiness and purest enjoyment. He was ardently devoted to his profession, because in its pursuits he found the reward success brings and eminence confers. As an adviser he was sincere and reliable, seeking to have on his side what he regarded as law and justice. As an advocate addressing a jury, he was earnest and impressive, and when the occasion required, was capable of rising into strains of persuasive eloquence, which excited the emotions and convinced the judgment. Full of resources, he had at his command the valuable faculty of seizing with intuitive sagacity the strong points of his own case, and at the same time of detecting the weak ones of his opponent, and using this rare gift with admirable skill, he was a formidable adversary, not easy to be overreached or defeated. In his intercourse with the court and members of the bar, he was affable, and courteous, and enjoyed an enviable popularity with all classes. As a neighbor and friend, he was considerate and generous; and if he sometimes exhibited a little fitful irritation or austerity in his impatience of shams and wrongs, underneath this apparently stern demeanor, sooner or later, there was always sure to break out the genial feelings and real kindness of the man. His heart was true and sound in its noble parts. Mr. Enos died at Watertown, of neuralgia of the heart, January 3. 1874, in the fifty-eighth year of his age, and leaves a wife, two sons and a daughter. Colonel H. M. Enos, of the regular army, and Major K. Enos, postmaster at Waukesha, are his brothers. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Colonel Charles R. Gill
He was born in Herkimer County, New York, in the year of 1830. He removed to Batavia, Genesee County, in 1843, where subsequently he studied law. He removed to Wisconsin in 1854, and established himself in the practice of the law in the City of Watertown. In 1859, he was elected Senator from Jefferson County, and represented that district two years. At the session of 1861, Governor Randall, in his message, advised that measures be taken to place the Executive of the State in a position to respond to any call which might be made by the President, in case the Southern States should attempt to throw off the United States authority. On the 11th of January, Colonel Gill submitted a resolution calling for a Joint Select Committee of three from each house, to inquire into the expediency of placing the State on a war footing, and to report a plan or bill for that purpose. The Joint Committee was appointed, and Colonel Gill, as Chairman, reported a bill for the defense of the State, and to aid in enforcing the laws and maintaining the authority of the General Government. The bill became a law, and under it and its amendments, Governor Randall organized the first regiments of the State. Colonel Gill, throughout the regular and extra sessions of 1861, boldly advocated a vigorous prosecution of the war, and took a decided stand against the sending of Commissioners to the Peace Congress. After the close of the session, Colonel Gill returned to Watertown and devoted much of his time to the raising of companies and recruits, and in July, 1862, in response to a call of Governor Salomon, for 300,000 men, he enlisted in a Company then being recruited at Watertown, as a private, and gave his assistance by voice and action to the filling of the company. Governor Salomon authorized the organization of a regiment in Dodge and Jefferson Counties, of which Colonel Gill was appointed Colonel. The Twenty-ninth Regiment rendezvoused at Camp Randall, and left the State for service in the field in November, 1862. Colonel Gill's military history is identical with that of the Twenty-ninth. It is unnecessary to repeat it here. Colonel Gill accompanied it in its movements, taking part in the Yazoo Pass Expedition, and in the battles of Port Gibson and Champion Hills, and finally in the siege of Vicksburg, during which his health became so precarious as to compel him to resign and return to Wisconsin. He recovered after many months of suffering, in which life hung upon a thread. In 1865, he was nominated by the Union party, as their candidate for Attorney General of the State, and he was triumphantly elected by a large majority. Colonel Gill, throughout the war, took an enthusiastic interest in its prosecution, and lent every aid in his power to that end. [Source: The Military History of Wisconsin: a record of the civil and military; By Edwin Bentley Quiner; Publ. 1866; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Hon. Daniel Hall
WATERTOWN: Daniel Hall, a native of Greenwich, Washington County, New York, was born November 20, 1819, and is the son of Titus Hall and Sarah nee Sybrandt. His parents were farmers by occupation, a class from whom spring three-fourths of our distinguished men. The subject of this sketch aided his father on the farm until he was eighteen years of age, at which time he entered the seminary at Lima, Livingston County, New York, and prepared for college. In 1842 he entered the sophomore class of Union College, from which he graduated in 1845. Later he studied law at Lockport, Niagara County, in the offices of Woods and Bowen, and of Judge Gardner. He afterward removed to Wisconsin and was admitted to the bar in Milwaukee in August 1851. During the next month he settled in Watertown, Jefferson County, where he has since been steadily engaged in the practice of his profession, and is known as a wise counselor and skillful attorney, and where his legal services and ability are thoroughly appreciated by his fellow-citizens. Although in politics he was formerly a whig and is now (1877) a republican, and although living in a district four-fifths democratic, he has been repeatedly elected to office — not, however, of his own seeking. Mr. Hall was elected district attorney of Jefferson County for 1857 and 1858, and was a member of the legislature in 1870, 1871 and 1872, and speaker of the house during the last-named year. His record as a legislator is one of marked success and usefulness. He was usually chosen to further some important measure, and always accomplished the purpose of his constituents. Mr. Hall attends the Congregational Church. He is a liberal supporter of the gospel, and of all worthy benevolent enterprises. He has been twice married: first, in June 1846, to Miss Elizabeth T. Flagler, of Lockport, New York, who died May 24, 1847. On September 1, 1852, he was married to Miss Lucy B. Newhall, also of Lockport, and by her has had two children, one of whom, Arthur D. Hall, is now living. He is in the junior class of the Wisconsin State University, and is a promising young man. Mr. Hall started life to become a lawyer and nothing else, and to this end has employed all his time and energies. At the urgent solicitation of his fellow-citizens, as is seen in this sketch, he has stepped aside on two or three occasions, for a short time, to attend to some important legislative matters, but when such labors have terminated he has gladly returned to his chosen profession, in which he is an eminent success. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877), transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
William Dempster Hoard
William Hoard of Jefferson County, Wisconsin
An altogether new character in the civil and political history of Wisconsin, and one which has but few counterparts anywhere, is William Dempster Hoard. He was born at Stockbridge, Madison Co., N. Y., Oct. 10, 1836, and was the son of a Methodist Circuit-Rider. His early education was derived entirely from the common schools, which were then none of the best. At the age of twenty-one he settled near Oak Grove, Dodge Co., Wis., where he worked upon a farm, but removed to Lake Mills, Jefferson County, in 1860. In May, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, 4th Wisconsin Infantry, and served until July, 1862, when he was discharged for disability. Soon regaining his health at his former home in New York, he re-enlisted, in Company A 1st New York Artillery, and remained in the service as a private to the close of the war. There are flippant and careless souls who declare that Gov. Hoard and Phil Cheek, Jr., are the only private soldiers left in Wisconsin. At the close of the war he returned to Wisconsin and engaged in the nursery business at Columbus, but in 1870 again established himself at Lake Mills and began the publication of the Jefferson County Union, receiving during the same year the appointment of Deputy United States Marshal and also having to do with taking the Federal Census. In 1872 he was elected Sergeant-at-arms of the State Senate, and the following year removed to Ft. Atkinson, which has since been the place of residence of himself and his newspaper.
There is far more than is generally understood in the career of Hoard that is proud and creditable. Starting with absolutely no capital, he put his paper in the way of accomplishing something substantial for the community as well as for himself. From the beginning he devoted considerable space in his paper to the discussion of dairy and farm matters. Himself an expert in the business of making butter and cheese, his articles attracted and held attention from the good sense and practical knowledge which they displayed. It is true that at first the fruits of his effort seemed to be insignificant-certainly unsatisfactory -but he continued unswervingly in the course originally marked out, and finally began to rally the local farmers around him. Almost entirely through his efforts the Jefferson County Dairyman's Association was organized, in 1871, followed by the Wisconsin State Dairyman's Association, of which he was also the real founder, and for three years Secretary, and then the Northwestern Dairyman's Association, of which he has annually been chosen President without opposition, since 1878. The value of this State Association in particular to the farmers of Wisconsin, can hardly be computed. It found them turning out but a limited amount of dairy products, and those with a decided reputation for inferiority. In the course of a few years it saw the production increase many fold, and the reputation for both cheese and butter advance to the very front rank, manufacturers of "Wisconsin carrying off from every competition more than her proportionate share of the prizes- indeed in some instances taking the grand prize over all competition in the nation or world. It is certainly true that "Peace hath her victories no less renowned than war." In this view Mr. Hoard is conspicuously entitled to the laurels of the victor; for himself and his Jefferson County Union were prime factors in this great progress, which means cash-increased profits-better education and more comfort in life to every maker of butter and cheese in the State. After a time the demand for the "Dairy Department" of his paper became such that he was compelled to issue special editions, and finally to establish Hoard's Dairyman on a separate basis, which has a wide circulation, and is an accepted authority on dairy matters throughout the Nation. When the Wisconsin Farmers' Institutes were organized by the State University in 1886, for the purpose of holding educational sessions in different portions of the State, Mr. Hoard was selected as the leading lecturer on dairy matters. In two seasons he delivered more than 300 addresses on this subject exposing in a frank and fearless manner to the slipshod and slovenly farmer the folly of his ways, and preaching the doctrines of agricultural regeneration through such improved methods as were in pace with modern improvements in other branches of business.
These addresses, at once simple and homely, were yet so eloquent with incontrovertible facts, common sense, and pat illustrations, and so interspersed with a pathos, humor and drollery not equaled by any other speaker in the State, as not only to convince, but to captivate his audiences everywhere. When, therefore, in the spring of 1888, without any knowledge or consideration on his part, his name was brought forward as that of a suitable candidate for Governor, it was received not only with favor, but with enthusiasm. And so widespread and powerful did this enthusiasm become that, though remaining quietly at home and "pursuing the even tenor of his way," the Republican masses sought him out and made him their nominee for Governor, contrary, it must in truth be said, to his own judgment of ability and qualifications. In the campaign which followed he was in demand everywhere as a speaker, and through his addressee demonstrated that the country editor and dairy specialist had been a close student and logical thinker in many lines of political and philosophical inquiry. Indeed, an impromptu address to the club of "first voters" in Milwaukee, being stenographically reported, was widely published and favorably reviewed. He was of course elected and duly inaugurated. In his mental organization Mr. Hoard is essentially a philosopher. This is known to all who have listened to his public addresses or have enjoyed a personal acquaintance with him. He never appeals to passion or seeks favor by pandering to ephemeral whims. In his message to the Legislature he says: "I feel authorized to say in their (that is, the farmers') behalf that they have no sympathy, as I have none, with any effort at legislation on any question which springs from prejudice." All his writings and speeches are conceived and framed on the same basis- "know the truth and be guided by reason." In the only authentic biographical sketch of Mr. Hoard that is extant, is the modest assertion: "He was educated in the common schools." He is one of the few who really appreciate the value and vital importance of the district schools. In the message above referred to, in recommending attention to them, he said: "I confess too much solicitude for the common schools, and especially for the district schools in rural communities. I have a profound respect for the high school, the academy, the college and the university. These, however, are but the fruits of a lowlier blossom, and they have many and most earnest advocates. But the common district school, the 'people's college,' is so much everybody's business that in many respects it suffers from neglect. It is to the little country school that we must look, in a great measure, for the inculcation of the true principles of American citizenship." Mr. Hoard is yet so new in the executive chair that it is impossible to speak intelligently of his administration, further than that he is careful, conscientious and conservative. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Green Lake, Marquette and Waushara; By Acme Publishing Co., Chicago; Publ. 1889; Pgs. 180-182; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Gov. John E. Holmes
JEFFERSON: John Edwin Holmes, the first lieutenant Governor of the State of Wisconsin, was born December 28, 1809, near Hartford, Connecticut, his parents being Solomon and Ann (McKee) Holmes. The family moved to the State of New York when he was in his fourth year, and both parents dying before he was nine he went to live with his grandfather in the same State. He early exhibited a strong love for books, in which, however, his grandfather did not encourage him. At twelve years of age he left home, and going to Hamilton, Madison County, there partially learned a trade. During his leisure hours he applied himself to study, and thus gained an education sufficient to enable him to teach a common school. Later he attended an academy in the place where he resided, and eventually prepared himself for the Universalist ministry. After preaching for a time in Chautauqua County, New York, and adjacent parts of Pennsylvania, he, in 1836, settled at Ann Arbor, Michigan. Here he was engaged in preaching for nearly a year, and upon his removal, which was before the close of that year, settled at Roscoe, Illinois, and began the study of law. At the end of two years he went to Lockport, in the same State, exchanged his theological for a law library, and was there admitted to the bar. Removing to Savanna, in Carroll County, he was there engaged in the practice of law for about two years, and in 1843 pushed northward into Wisconsin, and settled at his present home in Jefferson, where he practiced law in the State and United States courts until his death. When Wisconsin became a State, in 1848, Mr. Holmes was chosen lieutenant governor, and served in that capacity for two years. In 1832 we find him in the State legislature, in which body he rendered valuable, efficient and lasting service. In August 1862, Mr. Holmes went into the army as quartermaster of the 22nd Regiment of Wisconsin Infantry. He remained with the regiment until March 25, 1863, when he was taken prisoner, at Brentwood, Tenn., and sent to Libby prison. He was there confined until the 5th of the following May, when he was exchanged. Two days later he was sent to Annapolis, where he died the next day. His remains were brought to Jefferson, and there buried according to the rites of the Masonic order. In early life Mr. Holmes was a democrat, but acted with the republican party after its organization in 1856. In 1836 he married Miss Ruth A. Hawley, of Milan, Ohio, by whom he had four sons, who are still living. Mrs. Holmes and three of her sons are living in Nebraska, while the other son, Edwin F. Holmes, is a merchant in Jefferson, Wisconsin. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877), transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Henry Southard Howell
WATERTOWN: Henry S. Howell was born in Sussex County, New Jersey, November 6, 1819, his parents being Walter and Sarah C. (Lewis) Howell. During his boyhood and youth he enjoyed good educational facilities, and passed the greater part of his time in school, and during his fifteenth and sixteenth years gave special attention to the study of surveying and civil engineering. At the age of seventeen he joined a surveying party, and, going to Mississippi, spent a winter in the canebrakes on a branch of the Yazoo River. In May 1837, going up the Mississippi River, he stopped at Davenport, Iowa, and was there for a time engaged in government surveys. Two years later, returning to New Jersey, he studied law with an elder brother, George Howell, and was afterward admitted to the bar, although he never engaged in actual practice, but instead went immediately to Carthage, Tennessee, and there taught in an academy for about three years. He next went again to Davenport, Iowa, and after spending two years there, in 1848 removed to Wisconsin and settled at Milford, Jefferson County. Here he engaged once more in his early and favorite pursuit, and surveyed the famous Dalles of the Wisconsin River, a most delightful task, which employed his attention for about six months. Subsequently we find Mr. Howell a third time in Davenport, where he was engaged two or three years in the banking house of Cook and Sargent. In 1855 he returned to Milford, and engaged in mercantile business, and soon afterward spent a winter at St. Anthony, Minnesota. Settling in Watertown in 1858, he resumed the mercantile business, to which he has given his constant attention for nearly twenty years. He has built up an extensive and prosperous trade, which is now (1877) conducted under the firm name of H. S. Howell and Co., and recognized as one of the leading and most successful mercantile enterprises of the city. In 1868 Mr. Howell was a member of the legislature, representing the first assembly district in Jefferson County. He has always been a democrat, but never has allowed political matters to interfere with his legitimate business. He is a royal-arch mason, and belongs to Watertown Chapter, No. 11, and in his religious communion is identified with the Episcopal Church.
In March 1861, Mr. Howell was married to Miss Ann Jennette Nute, of Milford, Wisconsin, and by her has one child, Helen Nute, now thirteen years of age.
Like most of the early settlers of Watertown, Mr. Howell has shown a public-spiritedness and an enterprise to which the prosperity of the city is largely due. He is, however, unostentatious and unassuming in his manner, and while engaging heartily in whatever pertains to the welfare of his city and community, takes no honor to himself, feeling that in thus doing he has done simply his duty as a true citizen. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Pictorial Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
FORT ATKINSON: Among the early settlers in Jefferson County, Wisconsin, was Milo Jones, a man of great courage, coolness, and decision of character. He came of good fighting stock, more than one of his kinsmen having aided in gaining the independence of the colonies. His parents, Edward Jones and Lucy nee Farnsworth, were industrious farmers, living at the time of his birth, February 16, 1809, at Richmond, Chittenden County, Vermont. Milo remained at home until 1828, receiving such education as a farmer's son could gain at the common school. At that time, entering the surveyor-general's office at Burlington, he spent about four years in study, paying particular attention to surveying and civil engineering. At the expiration of this time he started for the growing West, where much government surveying had to be done, and many towns platted, and reached Michigan in June 1832, when the Black Hawk War was at its height; there he spent the winter shaking with ague, and in the following year returned to Vermont, and again worked his way to Michigan, passing through Ohio early in 1834. Spending that summer and autumn in surveying, he, just before winter set in, fitted out a party and started for the then territory of Wisconsin, where, in company with another gentleman, he had a contract for government surveys extending over several counties. He was employed in this work about two years, and in 1837 took a government contract in what is now the State of Iowa. In 1838 Mr. Jones, having selected the beautiful spot where Fort Atkinson, a village of twenty-five hundred inhabitants, now stands as his future home, there built him a log cabin, and on that identical spot we find him today. There were then only two families on the present site of the village, though Charles Rockwell, a pioneer, was only a short distance away. Without any legal rights here, Indians had entire possession of the country, and called the place Koshkonong, because of the lake of that name in this township, a name which some of the early settlers were disposed to adopt. The post-office, however, had always been named Fort Atkinson, in honor of General Atkinson. Here Mr. Jones opened a farm, and from time to time, as occasion required, engaged in surveying.
In 1839 he started a dairy on what would now be regarded a small scale, and considers himself as the pioneer cheese manufacturer of the State. Among the experiences of those early times might be mentioned the following: Early in the spring of 1840 or 1841, some of the families near Mr. Jones had a terrible fright caused by the Indians. A fur trader had given them some diluted whisky, and in a half intoxicated state they entered two or three cabins of the whites in the night, hooted and danced, and pillaged and fled. Some of the old women in great fear found shelter at Mr. Jones, where they said they should be safe. Mr. Jones, who subsequently received a colonel's commission from General Dodge, wrote to the General the particulars in regard to the Indians, and received orders to remove them from the locality alive or dead. He summoned thirty or forty men from the surrounding country, who all came with guns and ammunition. Having interviewed the chief, on the shore of the lake, Mr. Jones gave him fifteen minutes in which to fold up his tents and depart, and before that time had expired every red man was making rapid strides in a westward direction. On the same day, and at the same hour, an Indian trader came along in a canoe to negotiate for pelts, having whisky in his trunks. This Mr. Jones destroyed, talked seriously of an extemporaneous gallows, upon which the fur dealer paddled his canoe away as though racing with death himself. On another occasion Mr. Jones met a large body of Indians returning from Milwaukee, where they had been to receive their government supplies. Seeing that they were partially intoxicated, he gathered from their looks, their movements, and their language, that they meant mischief, and when he started to leave them made quick steps for twenty or thirty feet, then turning suddenly, he saw half a dozen guns about to be pointed at him, and in a moment more was among the Indians cuffing their ears, and showing them that he understood them. He started off a second time, keeping an eye on them until he had passed over a knoll, and then disappeared at a rapid pace. On July 4, 1849, Mr. Jones opened the Green Mountain House, and continued its proprietor for several years, and during the administration of President Pierce, was postmaster, having his office in the hotel. In 1848 he was a member of the constitutional convention, and had the satisfaction of seeing carried through that body nearly every measure which he advocated. In politics he was a democrat until 1861, since which time he has voted with the republican party. In April 1832, Mr. Jones was married to Miss Sarah Crane, of Richmond, Vermont, who died in 1872. Of the eight children born to them, five are now living, of whom four are married. Milo C. Jones, one of the sons, manages the home farm, consisting of five or six hundred acres, and has one of the largest private dairies in this part of the State. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877), transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Elisha W. Keyes
ELISHA W. KEYES (Rep.), of Madison, was born in Northfield, Washington county, Vermont, January 23, 1828. He came to Wisconsin with his father, Captain Joseph Keyes, in June, 1837, and settled in Milwaukee, removing in September of the same year to what is now the town of Lake Mills in Jefferson county; he was educated in the common school of the territory with a short attendance at Beloit seminary; he is by profession a lawyer; in December, 1850, he came to Madison where he has since resided; studied law in the office of Judge A. L. Collins and with the late Hon. Geo. B. Smith; was admitted to the bar in October, 1851; in 1852 was appointed special agent of the P. O. Dep’t, to transfer balances due from postmasters to the sub-treasury in St. Louis; was elected district attorney for Dane county in 1858; in 1861 was appointed postmaster at Madison and has held the office ever since; in April, 1865 was elected the first republican mayor of Madison, and in 1866 was re-elected without opposition; in 1871 was special attorney in the matter of the arbitration between the general government and the Green Bay and Miss. Canal Co., before the U. S. Commissioners; was a delegate to the national conventions at Philadelphia in 1872, and at Cincinnati in 1876, and on both occasions was chairman of the Wisconsin delegations; in 1877 was appointed a regent of the University from the state at large, and was re-appointed in 1880 for three years; was a candidate for the republican nomination for U. S. Senator to succeed Hon. T. O. Howe, at the session of the legislature in 1879, and for one hundred ballotings led in the contest between himself and Messrs. Howe and Carpenter, but finally withdrew in favor of Mr. Carpenter, who was then nominated by acclamation; was also candidate for the U. S. Senate in 1881, and received, in caucus, 33 votes but failed of nomination; he was elected member of assembly for 1882,receiving 1,956 votes against 1,064 for B. M. Minch, democrat, and 75 for A. Bell, greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), pgs. 543-544; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Robert Barr Kirkland
Robert Barr Kirkland, Jefferson, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, March 8, 1849, his parents being Alexander and Jane Hewetson Kirkland. His education was principally obtained at the high school of his native city. Coining to America in the fall of 1869 he entered upon the study of the law with I. W. and G. W. Bird, at Jefferson, was admitted as an attorney at the same place, February 26, 1876, and has been in practice alone in Jefferson to the present time. In the fall of 1880 he was elected district attorney for Jefferson county. Before leaving the old country Mr. Kirkland served eight years in the British navy. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
FREDERICK KUSEL (Dem.), of Watertown, was born in Domitz, Mecklenburg, Germany, November 1, 1830; received a common and private school education; is a hardware merchant; came to America in 1849, settling at Watertown; at the beginning of the war he was a resident of Galveston, Texas; he hastened north, and was appointed recruiting officer by Governor Salomon, and commissioned 1st lieutenant in company E, 20th regiment infantry, in 1862; was promoted to rank of captain, June 6, 1863; took active part in the Missouri and Arkansas campaigns, and in the siege of Vicksburg; he has held various offices; was mayor of Watertown in 1872 and twice since; was elected state senator for 1881 and ’82, receiving 4,309 votes, against 3,080 votes for J. B. Bennett, republican, and 83 for Geo. W. Bishop, greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 535; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Frank J. Langer
HON. FRANK J. LANGER, cashier of the First National Bank of Casselton, is a gentleman of rare ability and the intricate affairs of the institution with which he is connected are successfully attended by him. He has been identified with the development and advancement of the social and financial interests of Cass county for nearly a quarter of a century and has always had the welfare of his adopted country uppermost in his mind. He has gained a high position and is worthy the confidence reposed in him. Our subject was born near Prague, Germany, August 22, 1849, and was a son of Franz and Rosa (Miller) Langer, both natives of Germany. The family came to America in 1852 and located at Watertown, Wisconsin, and later moved to Plainview, Minnesota, where the mother died and the father still resides. Three sons and one daughter were born to this worthy couple, two of whom are now in Cass county, North Dakota. Our subject was reared and educated in Wisconsin and Minnesota and followed farming in the last named state until 1877, when he went to Cass county, North Dakota, and entered claim to land near Casselton, which he improved and he now owns and operates four sections of land in that vicinity. He became a director in the First National Bank of Casselton in 1894, and was elected to the position of cashier about the same time and is now ably filling the same. Our subject was married, in 1874, to Miss Mary Webber, a native of Germany. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Langer. Mr. Langer was elected to the legislature in 1890 and served one term in the lower house and was efficient in his work for the interest of his constituents. He was elected county commissioner of Cass county in 1892 and served six years and has also filled many minor offices, including town clerk and chairman of the town board. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and has been a member of the Masonic order for many years. Politically, he is a Republican and is an earnest worker for party principles and lends his influence for good government. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
Jacob C. Leonardson
JACOB C. LEONARDSON (Rep.) of Waterloo, was born May 29, 1819, in the town of Root, Montgomery county, New York; received a common school education; is by occupation a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1842 and entered the land upon which he now resides; returned to New York, but came back again in 1846 settling at Shopiere where he remained until 1857, with the exception of a few years spent in California; removed in 1857 to Waterloo, his present home; has held various local offices and was chairman of the town board of supervisors in 1875, ’76, ’77, ’78, and ’81; was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 658 votes against 427 for N. P. Bullock, democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 549; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Eli P. May
FORT ATKINSON: Eli P. May was born May 26, 1825, at Oneida, Oneida County, New York, his parents being Chester May and Hannah Damuth May. His maternal grandmother was captured by the Indians during the war for independence, and taken to Canada, and subsequently rescued. His father was a soldier in the War of 1812. He cleared a farm in Oneida, and subsequently had contracts on the Erie Canal and the Croton waterworks. In 1839 he removed to Wisconsin, reaching Milwaukee on the 3d of July, and the next day broke the ground for the Rock River Canal, of which he had the contract, but which was never completed. Prior to coming west Eli had received a common-school education, and soon after reaching Wisconsin attended an academy at Beloit for a short time. In his sixteenth year he began teaching school, which vocation he followed during the winter months for about four years, working the rest of the time on a farm one and a half miles south of Fort Atkinson, which his father had purchased and settled upon in 1839. In 1847 Chester May built a mill in Dodge County, seven miles from any house, on the west branch of Rock River. Here, one mile from Mayville — which place was named in honor of him — he discovered iron ore; some of which Eli, at his request, took to a blast furnace in Indiana, tested and had a stove cast from it. It was the first stove ever made of Wisconsin iron, and is still in the possession of the subject of this sketch. At the age of twenty-three he began the study of law with Emmons and Van Dyke, of Milwaukee; but upon the death of his father, which occurred February 18, 1849, his elder brother being away from home, he was compelled to abandon his studies and take charge of the farm. About three years later he moved into Fort Atkinson, and with his brothers, George W. and Chester, built a sawmill on Rock River. He soon afterward opened a store, and continued in trade about ten years, his brother Chester being in partnership with him part of the time. After discontinuing the mercantile business Mr. May spent some time dealing in stock and wool and in real-estate operations, usually with good success, and during the last three or four years has been engaged in the manufacture of flour, as a member of the firm of May, Waterbury and Co. Besides, he is interested in various other enterprises in Fort Atkinson. He is a stockholder in the Northwestern Furniture Company, also in the Foundry and Machine Company, and likewise a director and stockholder of the First National Bank. Just prior to the close of the Civil War, Mr. May received a commissary's commission from President Lincoln, with the title of captain. Going to St. Louis he arrived just before the President's death, and immediately resigned and returned home. During the whole period of the war he was active in the cause of the Union, and very generous to the families of those who had enlisted and gone to the field. In politics he has been a republican since the party was organized. In 1870 he was a candidate for State representative, and although his district was democratic lacked but five votes of being elected. Mr. May is a Universalist in religious sentiment, and one of the pillars of the Fort Atkinson society. Generous and charitable, he gives liberally to the support of all worthy objects.
He has been twice married: on September 1, 1853, to Miss Harriet K. Vosburg, of Fort Atkinson, who died May 24, 1855; on December 23, 1856, he married Miss Ann Curtis, daughter of Cyrus Curtis, an early settler in Jefferson County, and an enterprising man. Mr. May had one child by his first wife, and has four children by the second. He lives in one of the finest brick houses in the village, its location being on the site of the old fort. Mr. May is one of the foremost men in all-local enterprises, and important responsibilities in this respect have been put upon him. When the Chicago and Northwestern railroad — Green Bay and Lake Superior line — was built through Fort Atkinson he was chairman of the board of supervisors, and signed the bonds given by the town to that company, and did his full share in encouraging this great enterprise; and to a few such men as he the town is largely indebted for its manufacturing interests, its growth and its prosperity. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877), transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
WATERTOWN: Henry Mulberger was born on the l0th of June 1824, in the city of Spires, Germany, and is the son of John D. and Elizabeth Mulberger. His father was engaged in manufacturing. Henry attended the common schools of his native place, and later studied in the gymnasium, and still later spent two years at the academy in Darmstadt. After closing his studies he accepted a clerkship in a woolen mill, and afterward engaged with his father in the manufacture of wool. In 1847 he immigrated to America, landing in New York City, where he intended to engage in the importation of fine cloths, having brought thither a stock. He found, however, that the business would not warrant him in engaging in it, and accordingly abandoned it and went to Ohio, where he remained a short time. In 1848 he removed to Wisconsin and settled at Watertown, and engaged in the grocery business. Later he kept a stock of general merchandise. He sold his business interests in 1852, and two years later began the study of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1856, and during the following two years served as clerk for the law firm of Enos and Hall. In 1858 he became a partner in this firm, and continued in that relation for two years, when he withdrew and engaged in practice in his own name. He afterward formed a partnership with Mr. Harlow S. Orton, which continued until 1860. In 1861 he engaged extensively in farming. Aside from his legal practice Mr. Mulberger has been honored by his fellow-citizens with many positions of honor and trust. In 1853 and 1854 he was elected justice of the peace, and during the last named year was city clerk and clerk of the municipal court. In 1856, 1857 and 1858 he was city attorney. In 1865 he was elected an alderman of his city, and two years later was chosen to the office of mayor. He is also a director of the Wisconsin National Bank. In political sentiment Mr. Mulberger is a democrat. He was married on the 12th of October 1857, to Miss Matilda Wolf, and by her has two sons and three daughters. As a lawyer Mr. Mulberger has been very successful. He has built up an extensive practice, and is regarded wherever he is known as an upright, honorable and skillful practitioner. He has admirable personal and social qualities, and has won the respect and esteem of a large circle of true friends. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
James W. Ostrander
JAMES W. OSTRANDER (Rep.), of Jefferson, was born in the town of Clay, Onondaga county, New York, July 20, 1825; received a common school education; is by occupation a manufacturer; came to Wisconsin in 1842 and settled at Jefferson where he still resides; was county surveyor in 1846; county treasurer in 1849; register of deeds in 1850; member of assembly in 1873, ’75 and ’79; has been chairman of the county board of supervisors for the past three years, and has been secretary of the Wisconsin Odd Fellows’ Mutual Life Insurance company since 1876; was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 1,128 votes against 1,108 votes for S. A. Craig, democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 549; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Francis Victor Piper
FRANCIS VICTOR PIPER (Dem.), of Pipersville, was born in Bennington, New York, November 12, 1840; received an academic education at Milton College; is a merchant and miller; came to Wisconsin in 1847, and settled at Pipersville, where he has continued to reside; has been town clerk or chairman of town board since 1865; was elected member of assembly for 1883 without opposition, receiving 1,693 votes. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) page 493; transcribed by Tammy Clark]
Warren H. Porter
WARREN H. PORTER, Jefferson, was born in the state of New York, November 4, 1837, his parents being Garnett and Lucina Porter. He was educated in private select schools, and was at the Wisconsin State University a short time; studied law with Robert Flint, at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin; was admitted to the bar at Jefferson in September, 1862, and has been practicing at Jefferson since that time. His partners have been D. F. Weymouth and N. Slemake. For one term he was clerk of the board of supervisors. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]
Hon. Theodore Prentiss
WATERTOWN: Theodore Prentiss was born September 10, 1818, at Montpelier, Vermont. He is the eighth son of Samuel Prentiss, who was at one time chief justice of the supreme court of Vermont; United States senator for about ten years, and subsequently judge of the United States district court. The maiden name of Theodore's mother was Lucretia Houghton. Both of his grandparents and his paternal great-grandfather participated in the Revolutionary War, and the latter, Colonel Samuel Prentiss, was commander of a regiment in that sanguinary struggle. The subject of this sketch pursued a course of study in the academy in his native town preparatory for college, and in 1838 entered the University of Vermont, but left during the same year by reason of ill health, and went south. Returning in 1842, he studied law in his father's office at Montpelier, and was admitted to the bar in 1844. Attracted by the superior inducements to young attorneys at the West, he removed to Wisconsin in October of the same year, and in February, 1845, settled at Watertown. Here, for more than thirty years, he has continued in the practice of his profession, and has long stood among the leaders of the Jefferson County bar. He has recently devoted considerable attention to real estate operations, and has been very successful, and lives now in the enjoyment of a liberal competence. Mr. Prentiss was a member of both conventions which met to form a State constitution. He was a member of the legislature in 1861, and during the same year was elected a member of the board of regents of the university, and has been three times elected mayor of Watertown. In all his official capacities he acted with uprightness and fairness, and left them with an untarnished name and a spotless record. On the 4th of December, 1855, Mr. Prentiss was married to Miss Martha J. Perry, of Montpelier, Vermont. They have had three sons. They are members of the Episcopal Church, and are prominent in Watertown in all benevolent operations. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
A. E. Ransom
A good many disappointments have followed the entertainment of the hope that some day a fortune might be realized from the representations of attorneys who claimed to have discovered the existence of large fortunes in European countries to which American heirs were entitled. A. E. Ransom, however, is one of the heirs to a fortune of eighteen million pounds sterling lying in the Bank of England, about the existence of which there is no doubt, but to which the Ransom family in America have as yet been unable to establish clear title. Mr. Ransom is a native of Concord, Jefferson County, Wisconsin, where he was born September 30, 1866, the son of Nathaniel C. Ransom and Catherine Olivia Coggins (Ransom). Nathaniel is now a resident of Milwaukee. He was a member of the Forty-seventh Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers, Company H, and to his efforts in a large degree is due the progress made thus far in establishing the title of the Ransom family to the English property. The Ransoms came from England in the early part of the Eighteenth century. Arthur E. was educated in the public schools of Wisconsin and the state university. He graduated from the high schools at Unity, Wisconsin, in 1883, receiving first honors and the prize for oratory. He entered the state university with the class of 1888, in his eighteenth year. He was a student at Madison when that institution was under the direction of President J. W. Bascom. While at the university he took a very active interest in the work in the military department, which was in charge of a regular army officer, thus insuring the best of discipline, and has been almost continually connected with the national guard work ever since. He became a member of Company E, of the Second Regiment, located at Fond du Lac, then joined the Sheridan Guard, Company A, of Milwaukee, remaining with them until the organization of Company H, Fourth Regiment, Milwaukee, of which he was made captain. In 1883 Major Ransom moved to Albert Lea. He was elected captain of Company I, Second Infantry, but resigned on December 15, 1895, on account of business which kept him almost constantly away from home, and accepted the position of aide-de-camp on the staff of Governor Clough, with the rank of major. While in Milwaukee, prior to his removal to Albert Lea, Mr. Ransom was engaged in the capacity of private secretary to Mr. Rockwell, of the Rockwell Manufacturing Company. Upon his removal to Albert Lea, he became identified with the Ransom Bros. Company, wholesale grocers, as traveling salesman. He is widely acquainted in Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa. He had spent some time in studying law with the intention of making that his profession, but gave it up for the mercantile business. In that connection he became an expert accountant, and at one time charge of the English course and bookkeeping department of the McDonald Business Academy, in Milwaukee. His first dollar was earned by teaching school at Thorpe, Wisconsin, in 1883. In the fall of 1894, Mr. Ransom formed a partnership with Senator T. V. Knatvold and H. G. Koontz, known as the Ransom-Knatvold Manufacturing Company, for the manufacture of pipes. This business was sold within a year to Chicago buyers. [Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse]
William W. Reed
WILLIAM W. REED, (Dem.), of Jefferson, was born in Versailles, Dark county, Ohio, February 8, 1825; received an academic education and is by profession a physician; came to Wisconsin in 1849, and settled at Jefferson, where he has since resided; has held various local offices and was a member of the assembly in 1862, ’66 and ’67; has been examining physician for pensions for Jefferson county for many years; is a member of the State Board of Charities and Reform; was a member of the state senate in 1875 and ’76, and re-elected for 1877 and ’78; was elected state senator in 1882 receiving 2,940 votes against 1,953 for Jesse Stone, republican, and 418 for Robert Fargo, prohibitionist. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 480; transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
FORT ATKINSON: Emigration, it is said, tends to barbarism. If this be true, the rule has it exceptions. There are men who have taken their Christian virtues and their consciences with them into the wilderness, and there strengthened both. Charles Rockwell was the second man to pitch his tent on the present site of Fort Atkinson; and whether living among savages or civilized men, whether dealing with red men or white men, his dealings and actions have always been those of an honorable, upright businessman. He is a native of Oneida County, New York, and was born May 11, 1810. His parents, Thomas B. Rockwell and Mary nee Dunham, were from New England. His father moved from Oneida County to Stockbridge, Madison County, when the son was seven years old. Here Charles lived during the next twenty years, dividing his time between farm-work and study in the district school until he was seventeen, when he learned and worked at the joiner's trade. In 1837 Mr. Rockwell removed to the West, reaching Fort Atkinson in June of that year, and for a short time occupied a stable owned by Mr. Dwight Foster, the original settler of the place. There were few other families in the vicinity, but Indians, by the leniency of the government, were still very numerous. The land had not yet come into market, but Mr. Rockwell made a claim of one section and three fourths, upon which he performed a certain amount of work to prevent its being "jumped," and at the same time built him a log cabin one and a half miles east of the Fort, on Bark River. Soon afterward he built a free ferry at what was known as Rockwell's Crossing, keeping a scow for teams and two or three canoes for footmen, every man doing his own paddling. In 1838, having made an addition to his cabin, Mr. Rockwell opened a store, a brother living in New York State furnishing the goods, which he shipped by water to Milwaukee, whence they were taken by ox teams — the journey of fifty miles occupying a week for the round trip. About 1841, not having the means to enter the land when it came into market, Mr. Rockwell resigned his claims to his brother, and, moving to Fort Atkinson, erected a house, and during the next thirty years was engaged at his trade. At first he used to lumber in the winter and fill contracts for building during the rest of the year. He built the first store in the place, which is still standing on the northeast corner of Main and Milwaukee Streets. He also built the first schoolhouse, a substantial and well-finished frame building, twenty-three by thirty feet, at a cost of one hundred dollars — a building which could not now be built for three hundred dollars. The house, for a time, was used for both school and church purposes. Mr. Rockwell was anxious to have some respectable place in the little village for Sunday worship, and, for the sake of securing the job and hurrying the work, took the contract at a low figure. He has been a member of the Congregational Church since seventeen years of age, and is now the only surviving constituent male member of the Fort Atkinson body. He has always maintained a consistent Christian character. He is also a member of the Royal Blue in the Odd fellows order. In politics Mr. Rockwell was a democrat until 1856, since which time he has voted with the republican party. He has been married three times: first, in 1833, to Miss Ann Maria Farrington, of Augusta, New York, who died one year later; July 4, 1835, he was married to Miss Caroline L. More, of Augusta, by whom he had three children, and who died in 1873; April 2, 1874, he was married to Miss Maggie Telfer, of Fort Atkinson. W. Adelbert Rockwell, the only surviving child by his second wife, is a joiner; he is married, and resides near his father. When Mr. Rockwell settled at Fort Atkinson he purchased land, which he still works. As showing the patriotism of Mr. Rockwell, the following incident may be related. Most of the citizens of Fort Atkinson made arrangements to observe the "Centennial Fourth" at larger towns in the vicinity, but Mr. Rockwell thought some notice should be taken of so important a day at home. Since the local band had an engagement to leave town during the forenoon of the fourth, he sent out an invitation to all its members and to several families in the village to take breakfast with him. He built a large bower the night before, after the neighbors had retired, and prepared a sumptuous feast. The band came early and marched through the streets summoning the guests, and at a seasonable hour all sat down to breakfast, while over their heads waved a flag made years before by Mr. Rockwell's second wife, the faithful Caroline, who accompanied him to his wilderness home nearly fifty years ago, and who was foremost in every patriotic and benevolent movement. No man in the village has struggled harder or done more for the educational, moral, religious and general interests of the place, or is held in higher esteem by his neighbors. He was one of the first justices of the peace in the place, and tried the first case; was a supervisor for several years, and during one term chairman of the board, and has, in short, been honored by his townsmen with every office within their gift. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877), transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Charles F. Sims
CHARLES F. SIMS, vice-president of the Union National Bank and superintendent of the Minneapolis & Northern Elevator Company, is one of the pioneer settlers of North Dakota and a prominent business man of Grand Forks. He was born in Jefferson county, New York, October 10, 1831. The parents of our subject, George and Hannah (Cross) Sims, were natives of Connecticut and New Hampshire, respectively, and the father was a farmer and moved to Wisconsin in 1860 and now resides near Janesville, that state, at the advanced age of ninety-six years. The grandfather of our subject, Robert Sims, was a native of Aberdeen, Scotland, and came to the United States about 1785 and settled in Connecticut and was there married. He later removed to Otsego county, New York, and in 1816 to Jefferson county, New York, and died in that state. The paternal grandmother bore the maiden name of Lydia Hanks. The maternal grandfather, Theo Cross, was a native of New Hampshire and went to Jefferson county, New York, in 1823, and his was one of the first families to settle in New Hampshire. Our subject is one of five sons and is the only one now residing in North Dakota. He was raised and educated in New York in the Carthage Academy, and then learned the drug business at Antwerp, New York, and followed the same two years, and in 1854 went to Wisconsin and settled in Jefferson county and spent two years, when he went to St. Anthony, now Minneapolis, and was engaged in the drug trade there eight years. He started to Idaho in 1864 with an expedition and they were attacked by Indians near Fort Rice and after three weeks were rescued by United States troops and were returned. Twelve men were killed and the others of the number returned to New York. Our subject went to St. Cloud, Minnesota, in 1865, and engaged in milling there one year and then started for Montana with twenty-four teams of flour under the guidance of Captain Fisk, who had charge of the previous expedition. This last pushed through to Helena and arrived there with ox-teams. Our subject remained there three years and followed freighting, and in 1868 returned to Douglas county, Minnesota, and remained there until 1877. He had charge of the Alexandria mills and was postmaster one term. He went to California in 1877 and engaged in bee culture until 1878, when he returned to Alexandria and entered the employ of the Pillsbury & Hulbert Elevator Company which was changed to the Minneapolis & Northern in 1885, and our subject came to Grand Forks in 1882 and has had charge of the affairs of the company in that place since that date. He was one of the organizers and one of the first directors of the Union National Bank and is now vice-president of the same. Mr. Sims was married, in 1861, to Miss Laura E. Dorman, a native of Minnesota and a daughter of Daniel W. Dorman. Mr. Sims is a Republican in political sentiment, but has never sought public office, devoting himself to the business interests, and is highly esteemed by his many friends. A portrait of Mr. Sims will be found in connecting with this sketch. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography, Transcribed by Christi Boyer]
John P. Slight
WATERTOWN: The subject of this sketch, a native of Laughton, Lincolnshire, England, was born on the 27th of August, 1820, and is the son of William Slight and Ann nee’ Preston. His father, a farmer in comfortable circumstances, was a man of enterprising spirit, and influential in his community. John passed his boyhood on his father's farm in his native place, receiving a limited education, and in 1837, being then seventeen years of age, immigrated to America, and settled at LaFayette, Indiana. During the first year after his arrival he was employed on the Wabash and Erie Canal. After the completion of the work, at the end of one year, with his brother Joseph he took charge of a steamboat lock at Delphi, thirty miles up the river. Sickness, however, compelled them to leave at the end of two or three months, and they went to Louisville, thence to Cincinnati, and from there to Mansfield, Ohio. At the expiration of three months, having regained their health, they returned to Wabash, and engaged in pork packing during the winter. In the following spring they took it to New Orleans, intending to ship it to England, but were not able to procure a suitable boat. Returning to Indiana in the ensuing fall, Mr. Slight remained there till the autumn of 1842, when he returned to Ohio, and in the following spring took a drove of horses to New York. During this same year he visited his home in England and remained there till 1844, when he returned to Mansfield, Ohio. In 1845 he removed to Watertown, Wisconsin, and engaged in agricultural pursuits, in which occupation he is still engaged, owning and conducting a beautiful and extensive farm of five hundred and sixty acres, three miles from the city. Mr. Slight's life, while it presents few phases in distinction from that of other men, is yet marked by a spirit of enterprise and determination, and rewarded with a degree of success well worthy of emulation. He came to the United States a poor boy, without friends or acquaintances, and by his own industry, energy and perseverance, has made his way, step by step, to his present standing, as a successful businessman and an honorable citizen. Throughout his career he has been known for his fair dealing and promptness in meeting his engagements, and by close attention to business has accumulated an ample fortune, and lives now surrounded by the comforts of a happy home, and enjoys the high regard of all who know him. In politics, Mr. Slight has always been identified with the republican party. He has never sought political honors, and has held no office except that of justice of the peace. In his religious views, he holds to the faith of the Church of England. He was married on the 1st of March, 1852, to Mary Ann Russell, by whom he has three sons and one daughter. Possessed of noble personal qualities, generous, genial and social, he is a devoted husband, a fond father, and a true and agreeable friend and companion. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
JESSE STONE (Rep.), of Watertown, was born August 23, 1836, in Lincoln, Lincoln-hire, England; had a common school education; is a manufacturer; came to the United States in 1841, and to Wisconsin in 1869; has held several local offices; was elected assemblyman for 1880, receiving 864 votes against 494 for C. Reubhausen, Democrat, and 201 for William Sacia, Greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880); transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
JESSE STONE (Rep.), of Watertown, was born in Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, August 23, 1836; received a common school education; is a manufacturer; came to the United States in 1841 and to Wisconsin in 1869, settling at Watertown; has held various local offices and was member of assembly in 1880; was elected assemblyman for 1882, receiving 920 votes against 853 for James Moran, democrat, and 164 for William E. Dervin, greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 549; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Leo G. Zeidler
The career of Leo G. Zeidler in Plentywood began with the start of the permanent builders and has continued prominent in its business life throughout its annals. Mr. Zeidler arrived in the community of Plentywood in 1909, and in August of that year became a clerk for the Johnson-Riba Hardware Company, but a few months later embarked in business for himself as a hardware merchant and erected the first business house of the new town. The Zeidler store was for a short time a lonesome one, being the only one along the main business street, but in a short time it was joined by all of the old town, the parties moving over in the spring of 1910, including the Johnson-Riba Hardware Company, the Riba Bank, the Riba Lumber Yard, Ring & Sommers Restaurant, the J. A. Ford mercantile business, Fishbeck & Jarvis, the State Bank of Plentywood, the Chad. Robinson Livery, the Peter Diedrick feed mill, the Anson Kranzer blacksmith, the C. S. Nelson Herald office, Albert Chapman, land commissioner, Severt Olson Hotel and George E. Bolster, postmaster and hotel proprietor. And by this time several other business enterprises had sprung up, including the Rogers Lumber Company, St. Anthony Lumber Company, Kullass Lumber Company, the Tanna & Best Mercantile Company, and with the coming of the railroad the Farmers Elevator and the Montana-Dakota Elevators were built. Mr. Zeidler in all these years has continued his hardware business, it having first opened its doors to the public in February, 1910, and he has come to be known as one of the old and reliable business men of the town. He has also taken an active interest in the agricultural development of the locality. In 1907 he filed on a homestead in McClain County, North Dakota, proved it up with the usual temporary improvements and farmed the land while he was acquiring title. In 1913 he became identified with the farming interests of Sheridan County, locating his claim near the county seat, and has become well known as a grain raiser. During the seven years he has planted crops here he has harvested something each year, although in 1919, his poorest year, his yield after cutting and threshing did not quite equal the seed wheat he sowed. He has now under cultivation and improvement 500 acres of the almost 1,000-acre tract which he owns, and the improvements which he has placed on the land include fencing and the granaries. Mr. Zeidler was born in Jefferson County, Wisconsin, November 3, 1882, and he spent his early life there. His father, John Zeidler, of Lake Mills, Wisconsin, is a shoemaker still at his bench at the advanced age of seventy-two years. He was also born in Jefferson County, and has spent his life there. His father, also named John, a German, was sent into Wisconsin as a pioneer and helped build the first wagon road from the Hill Church to Rock River. He was actively engaged in clearing away the timber and in time developed a farm in the woods, and he now lies buried in the soil of that locality. Four of his children reached years of maturity, namely: John; Charles, who died in 1919, at Mallard, Iowa; Christian, of Rockwell, Iowa; and Mary, who became the wife of George Troeger and died at Jefferson in 1919. John Zeidler, the son, married Christina Troeger, whose father came from his native land of Germany to the United States and was first a farmer and afterward a tanner at Jefferson, Wisconsin. Mrs. Zeidler was born in the City of Jefferson in 1851, and was married February 24, 1870, the following children being born of the union: Edward, who is a resident of Rockford, Illinois; Erney and George, both living at Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin; Leo G., the Plentywood merchant; and Elsa, the wife of Jesse Calvert, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Leo G. Zeidler was nineteen years of age when he left home to begin life on his own account. Going to Rockwell, Iowa, he was employed by an uncle in a hardware store for seven years, there gaining his early knowledge of the business. From Iowa he removed to North Dakota, where he secured his claim, as above noted, and from there came to Montana and cast his lot with the embryo Town of Plentywood. His public service in an official capacity has been as clerk of the Plentywood School District, but his service to the community as a citizen has been of far greater importance. During the country's participation in the World war he served as a member of the Home Guards, took an active part in the drives made for funds for Red Cross and other auxiliary work, and has always been active in the public welfare. His political support has been given to the republican party, and he cast his first presidential vote for Colonel Roosevelt in Iowa in 1904. At Rockwell, Iowa, June 21, 1909, Mr. Zeidler married Miss Jennie A. Gibson, who was born in that city in October, 1885, a daughter of Robert and Susie (McDowell) Gibson, both of whom were born in Pennsylvania. The father is a Civil war veteran. He served with the Army of the Potomac as a member of the Sixty-second Pennsylvania Infantry, and took part in the heavy fighting of the war in Virginia and other parts of the South. After the war he migrated westward, stopping for a time in Illinois, and finally locating in Rockwell, Iowa, where he was engaged in the poultry, produce and meat business until he retired from a business life. He has been active in Grand Army circles, is a republican in politics and is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Gibson have five daughters and one son, and Mrs. Zeidler is the only representative of the family in Montana. After graduating from the high school at Rockwell, Iowa, she became a high school teacher there. She is now a member of the School Board of Plentywood, this being one of the first instances where women have acted in a like official capacity. She has served in the position two years, and one other woman and three men are her colleagues on the board. She exercises her right of franchise with the republican party, and her first presidential ballot was cast in 1916. Three sons have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Zeidler, Gibson, Robert and Barr. [Montana, Its Biography and History, Volume 2. Transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails