KENOSHA - Edward Bain, a native of Kinderhook, Columbia County, New York, was born on the 9th of March, 1823, and is the son of Bastianand Moyca (Burgher) Bain. His father, who was of Scotch ancestry, was a frugal and well-to-do farmer, an influential man in his community, and much respected by all who knew him. His mother was of German lineage, and noted for the best qualities that distinguish her race. Edward received a good common-school education in his native place, and at Lenox, Berkshire County, Massachusetts. After leaving school, at the age of sixteen, he spent a season in farm work, and in 1839 went to Albany and apprenticed himself to learn the hardware business, and remained in this situation until he attained his majority. In 1844 he removed to the West and settled at what was then known as Southport (now Kenosha), Wisconsin, his present home, and at once established himself in the hardware business, at which he continued with uninterrupted success for a period of twenty years, building up an extensive and prosperous trade. In 1852 his brother, Lewis Bain, became associated with him in business, the firm being known as "Bain Brothers." Meantime he commenced the manufacture of farm wagons, business which proved so successful that he determined to make it his life work. Accordingly, in 1864 he sold out his interest in the hardware trade to his brother, by whom it is still conducted (1877), and since then has devoted his entire attention to the wagon manufacturing business. His wagons have become largely known and celebrated for their superior workmanship, durability, neatness and finish. Throughout his entire career Mr. Bain has shown remarkable talent and business capacity, and is widely known and eminently distinguished for his honest and upright dealing, his promptness in meeting his engagements, and for many noble and generous qualities of head and heart, some of which may be inferred from the fact that he has never been sued for a debt nor had a note protested. His business has assumed very large proportions. Its magnitude may be inferred from the fact that he gives steady employment to over two hundred men, while his annual transactions amount to over six hundred thousand dollars. In 1876, notwithstanding the stringent times, his establishment made and sold over seven thousand wagons. In religious sentiment he affiliates with the Congregational Church, of which both he and his family are worthy members. To his generosity and liberality are mainly due the construction of the beautiful and costly edifice of the Congregational Church of Kenosha, one of the finest ecclesiastical structures in the State, and which will long remain a standing monument of his magnanimity and moral worth. In political sentiments he has been identified with the republican party since its organization, but has never held nor had any desire to hold office. He was married on the 20th September 1847, to Miss Harriet M. Brockett, of Waterford, Saratoga County, New York, a most excellent and unassuming lady, whose life has been largely devoted to the welfare of others. They have three children, one son named Charles, and two daughters named respectively Frances and Carrie, all of whom give promise of future worth and usefulness. By his excellent personal qualities Mr. Bain has won to himself many true and valuable friends. Generous to an unusual degree, genial and social, he is a most agreeable companion, being most admired by those who know him best. In his own home he is loved as a devoted husband and a kind, indulgent father. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Samuel Y. Brande
KENOSHA: Samuel Yates Brande was born in Castle Dorrington, Leicestershire, England, October 1, 1818, and is the son of Rev. William Brande and Sarah nee Yates. His father, a Baptist clergyman, was born near Cambridge, and was descended of distinguished ancestors, whose history and preserved genealogy dates back to the Norman conquest, at which period they settled in England, being originally of French or Norman lineage. His mother was the second daughter of Samuel Yates, of Leicester, England, a noted stage proprietor. When he was two years old his father removed with his family from the church at Castle Dorrington to take the oversight of a new charge at the flourishing naval station of Portsmouth, where the boyhood of Samuel was spent amid naval and military spectacles, the immense dockyard, with its celebrated machinery designed by Brunei, the engineer of the Thames tunnel; the shipyards, forts and fortifications, furnishing food for his youthful imagination. Here he attended a juvenile academy and was instructed in the elementary branches of learning. An incident which occurred at this period, and which came near cutting short his career, making such an impression upon his childish mind that it is still as fresh and vivid in his memory as the day it occurred, is worthy of mention. He was one day playing with his schoolmates in the mast-ponds attached to the yards, when he and another boy mounted a huge round mast to sail across the pond; they reached the other side in safety, when his companion, accidentally or purposely, in getting off made the immense log roll, when plump went young Brande into the water. On reaching the surface, by a superhuman effort he managed to lay hold on the round and slippery timber, but how to get on board of it while it continued in motion, was the problem; before he could do so his little remaining strength was all but exhausted. It was a moment of awful uncertainty. He felt that his life hung by a thread. No one in sight; the cowardly boy, as soon as he saw his predicament ran away, leaving him to his fate. How he emerged from his peril is still shrouded in mystery. It was especially noticeable to his companions that he evaded the pond and eschewed mast riding for years afterward. At the age of ten years he attended a drawing-school, taught by an artist of the town, an excellent draughtsman, where he pursued that study as well as the art of writing, occupations of which he was always fond, and in which he attained to a very high degree of proficiency, his manuscripts at this day outrivaling the very finest specimens of typography. At the age of twelve he was sent to an academy of a high class, kept by an elder brother at the ancient town of Northampton, where he remained two years, giving some attention to the study of the Latin language and the higher mathematics. But his father's increasing family and limited fortune at this time led him to look across the sea to America as the place where his children could have room to develop, and where he could find more certain provision for them than in over-crowded England. One of the elder brothers of our subject, an adventurous boy of fifteen, had previously crossed the ocean alone, to become an apprentice to an uncle at Lansingburg, New York. Accordingly the whole family took passage in the good ship Columbia, Captain Delano, from Portsmouth, and arrived safely in New York in May 1832, Samuel being then scarcely fourteen years of age. The family made a temporary sojourn at Lansingburg, while the father made a tour through northern Pennsylvania and attended the triennial convention of the Baptist Church in New York city. He finally resolved to settle in Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, whither he removed his family in the autumn of the same year, settling near the village of Montrose. Our subject remained in the family for four years and worked upon a farm, of which his father had become the owner, and became noted for the skill which he displayed in laying sloping stonewall fences, which was and still is, the best farm fence in that part of the country. During the winters he taught the district school, often having for his pupils young men and women not only much larger but much older than himself.
Soon tiring of farming on the rocky hillsides he induced his father to allow him to learn a trade, or business. He had a strong predilection for ornamental painting, of which his father could not quite approve, but the matter was finally compromised by his being bound an apprentice for the term of three years to a cabinet-maker at Montrose, Pennsylvania, and as the cabinet-maker was also the village housepainter, his predilection was in a manner gratified. At the close of his apprenticeship he was induced to settle in Waterford, Saratoga County, New York. Although quite juvenile in appearance, just of age, he was a good workman, and was possessed of considerable confidence. He purchased an establishment there in 1839, which he carried on successfully for two years, and until the memorable fire of 1841, which destroyed the business portion of the village, in which he lost all his stock in trade. He remained another year in the vain attempt of restoring the business, but the town was damaged past immediate recovery ; hence he determined to go west, and accordingly, in the autumn of 1842, he took passage on the line boat on the Erie canal, with his tools and personal effects, as far as Buffalo; thence on the steamer De Witt Clinton, and after a week's passage landed at Southport (now Kenosha), in the then Territory of Wisconsin, which has since been his home. He immediately erected a shop and commenced business in a small way, which he continued with success till 1850, when a combination of disasters visited the town and determined him to abandon the business of cabinet-making, as one at which he was not destined to succeed. For the next two years he was not engaged in any business, but in the autumn of 1852 he was elected registrar of deeds of Kenosha County on the liberty ticket, there being then three candidates in the field. Mr. Brande was one of the founders of the liberty party of Wisconsin, attended the convention that gave it birth in the Territory, and acted with it through its various stages until it was fully merged in the republican party. During his incumbency of this office his tastes had led him to examine the land system of the United States, and to study its requirements, and he concluded that with his education and accomplishments as a penman, and the knowledge thus attained, he might be able to do a profitable business in the tracing of titles and in facilitating the work of transferring land. He immediately purchased an abstract of titles of that part of Racine County which had been made into the new County of Kenosha, spending six months at Racine in revising and correcting it. He commenced the work in June 1855, and was thirteen years in completing the records to date, so as to be absolutely sure of his ground. His records, abstracts and indexes are, perhaps, the most complete and artistic of any to be found in the nation. The work is mainly in his own handwriting, and in uniformity of style and beauty of workmanship rivals the finest products of the printing press, and will be an enduring monument to his skill and accomplishments as a penman, for they are preserved in a fire-proof building. With this enterprise he has also connected the business of administering estates, land conveyancing and the practice of law, the latter he found to be an essential prerequisite to success in his business. Its study was therefore entered upon and he was admitted to the bar on the 23d November, 1866. In 1875 he associated with himself H. M. Thiers, and the business is now conducted by Brande and Thiers.
In the year 1857, with Jason Lathrop, he published a map of the City of Kenosha, which has since been the standard authority on questions within its scope. Among his many other accomplishments is a decided taste for horticulture and matters related thereto, such as landscape gardening, the designing of exquisite patterns in flower beds, etc. In 1862 he designed the addition to the Kenosha cemetery, which has resulted in giving the city a place of sepulture beautiful and convenient. He has been president of the Kenosha Horticultural Society, and has done much by precept and example to promote the culture of flowering plants in his neighborhood. He has always tended his own garden and conservatory, which is a crowning testimonial to his skill and taste in that direction.
In the year 1847 he served as city assessor of Kenosha, and in the year following, as alderman of the first ward of the city. His political views have always been republican, except during the second candidacy of President Grant, with whose views on reconstruction and civil service reform he was at variance; hence he supported Horace Greeley. On the nomination of Mr. Hayes, however, he renewed his devotion to the old party, and is now a warm friend of the administration. He was among the active patriotic citizens of Wisconsin during the late war, and was a leader in his locality in measures for filling the ranks with recruits, and in raising means for the relief of sick soldiers and their families. In 1862 he was appointed assistant United States assessor for the first district of Wisconsin, and held the office till 1871, when he resigned it because he could not conscientiously support the administration. In religious opinions he was educated a Baptist, but about the year 1840 began to examine more critically the foundations of his belief, and the result was a considerable modification of his old straight-laced faith, and, although not entirely in harmony with the views of the Unitarian creed, yet he can worship more comfortably with that denomination than any other. On the 15th of November 1844, he married Miss Elizabeth M. Holmes, a native of Courtland County, New York; born in 1822. Her father, Samuel Holmes, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and her grandfather, Raswell H. Holmes, was a soldier of the revolution. On the mother's side she is connected with the Sprague family, of Rhode Island. They have had four children, three of whom are living. Flora A. is the wife of George W. Hoyt, of Chicago, and Hattie lives at home with her parents. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Isaac P. Clapp
ISAAC P. CLAPP, one of Fargo's, best-known citizens and successful business men, was born in Dutchess county, New York, March 4, 1839, and is a son of Peter B. and Sarah E.- (Pells) Clapp, also natives of New York, in whose family were only two children, one son and one daughter, both still living. The father, who was an agriculturist, spent his entire life in the Empire state, as did also the grandfather, Isaac Clapp. Our subject was reared in much the usual manner of farmer boys of his day, assisting in the labors of the fields and attending the district schools near his childhood home. He followed farming in New-York until 1867, when he removed to Norfolk, Virginia, and after residing there for some time he went to central Texas, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for ten years. He next made his home in Kenosha, Wisconsin, until 1880, when he came to Fargo, North Dakota, landing here on the 14th of October. He soon returned to Wisconsin, however, but the following April located permanently in Fargo, where, as a member of the firm of Clapp & McCrow, he was engaged in the banking business until 1884, conducting the Cass County Bank, which was a private institution. On closing the bank they turned their attention to the real estate business, in which Mr. Clapp is still successfully engaged, and to some extent he is also interested in farming. He is a wide-awake, energetic business man of known reliability and due success has not been denied him.
On the 7th of June, 1882, in Wisconsin, Mr. Clapp was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Sleight, a native of Indiana, and they now have one son, Edwin G., at home. Socially Mr. Clapp is a man of prominence in the community where he has so long made his home, and is honored and respected by all who know him. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Renae Capitanio]
Thomas E. Cootey
COOTEY, Thomas E. Minneapolis. Res 2316 Aldrich av S, office Flour Exchange bldg. Lithographer, printer. Born Aug 6, 1860 in Kenosha Wis, son of John and Jane (Coyle) Cootey. Married Sept 9, 1885 to Cora M Hamen. Educated in common schools Kenosha Wis and Chicago. Commenced as errand boy Sept 27, 1875 with Culver, Page, Hayne & Co Chicago and remained with them and their successors the John Morris Co until Jan 30, 1887; became identified with Brown, Treacy & Co, St Paul Feb 1, 1887 and opened branch for this company in Minneapolis Dec 29, 1890 which was known as the Northwestern Lithographing & Printing Co; succeeded the latter company as propr and changed name to Cootey Lithographing and Printing Co June 28, 1898 which was incorporated as the Cootey-Blodgett Co in 1906. Member Minneapolis, Commercial and Lafayette clubs; Knights of Columbus and B P O E. [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger]
CHARLES DURKEE, Kenosha, was born at Royalton, Vermont, December 10, 1805. A few months of schooling in the winter season and a term or two at an academy, was all the education he ever received. Farming first attracted his attention; and, after a few years, with the little gains he had made, he embarked in mercantile pursuits. In May, 1836, Mr. Durkee left New England, and made the long and tedious journey to Wisconsin, and located at Kenosha. He took an active interest in promoting the growth of the then rising village, erecting a number of fine buildings himself, and being an extensive land owner, contributing largely by exchanging lands to cheap rates for labor and material in the erection of stores and dwellings. In the meantime he had served the people of Wisconsin territory, then including Iowa, as member of the legislature on several occasions. After the organization of Wisconsin as a state, in 1849, Mr. Durkee was elected a member of congress from the first congressional district, and again reelected in 1851 for a second time. In 1850 he was chosen by the friends of the measure, a delegate to the world’s peace convention, held at Paris, and on his way home attended the great national fair, held at London, the first ever inaugurated in the interest of mankind. In February, 1855, Mr. Durkee was elected for a full term of six years to the United States senate. After the expiration of this term, he retired for three or four years to the beautiful residence he had erected on the lake shore, in the southern portion of the village of Kenosha. At this period he began to feel the strain occasioned by severe brain work in the various public offices he had held. His physicians recommended a change of climate. About this time, J. D. Doty, governor of Utah, having died, President Johnson, without any solicitation on the part of Mr. Durkee, appointed him as Governor Doty’s successor. This office he held up to the time of his death, which occurred January 14, 1870. Mr. Durkee was a man hardly of medium height, rather thick-set, of broad depth of brain, black-grey eyes, and a countenance beaming with thoughts of benevolence and kindness. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
George M. Everhart, D.D.
KENOSHA: George M. Everhart, a native of Loudoun County, Virginia, was born February 9, 1826, the son of William and Susan Everhart. His father was a farmer by occupation. George received his primary education in the private school of a Dr. Hagerty, near his home, and later entered Dickinson College, Carlyle, Pennsylvania, with a view of fitting himself for a professional life. By the death of his father, while he was yet a boy, he was compelled to abandon his studies, and was left to the care and home-teaching of his mother, whom he reverently remembers as "an unusually devoted woman," whose pure life influenced him to grow up to be a God-fearing man, and ultimately to enter the gospel ministry. His first great trouble was his mother's death, which occurred when he was fifteen years old. All hope of gaining a collegiate education at this time was gone; but having a fixed determination and a power of will, and 'relying upon the education which he had already acquired, he engaged in teaching, and during the next four years, besides supporting himself, saved money sufficient to complete his college course. He graduated from Emory and Henry College, Virginia, with honor, and was appointed, by the faculty of the college, tutor of Greek — a position which he filled with credit and satisfaction for about three years. In 1854 Professor Everhart was called to the presidency of Huntsville Female College, Alabama; and six years later, enlarging his field of action, was, by the Right Rev. N. H. Cobbs, S.T.D., the Bishop of Alabama, ordained a deacon in the Protestant Episcopal Church, and in the following year, 1861, was admitted to priest's orders by the Right Rev. J. H. Otey, D.D., Bishop of Tennessee. About this time he was called to the pastorate of Calvary Church, Louisville, Kentucky. During the Civil War, claims of a peculiar character necessitated his resignation and removal to North Carolina, and for the next five years he labored as rector of St. Peter's Church, of Charlotte, in that State. On April 23, 1865, Mr. Everhart preached before Jefferson Davis, his cabinet, and many of the chief officers of the confederate army, who at that time sought refuge in Charlotte. The occasion was an impressive one. Taking for his text the words "and thus it must be." he earnestly endeavored to impress the lessons taught by the "Lost Cause." It was the last sermon heard by the confederate president previous to his capture and incarceration.
Aside from his pastoral labors, which were unusually great at that time, owing to the afflictions of his people, and the attendance at hospitals and on refugees, Mr. Everhart conducted a publishing house, editing and publishing a weekly called "The Church Intelligencer," and also millions of pages of religious tracts, which were distributed through the army. In 1867 he was recalled to Louisville to become the pastor of St. John's Church, and while here, in 1870, was, in recognition of his worth and attainments, honored by Columbia College, of New York, with the degree of D.D.
In 1871 Dr. Everhart removed to his present home in Kenosha, whither he had been called to establish a young ladies college, known as Kemper Hall. Inaugurating the school under the auspices of the Protestant Episcopal church, his energetic administration of its affairs has insured its success, and rendered it second to no young ladies college in the country. Its location and surroundings are most beautiful and picturesque. Fronting on Lake Michigan, its elegant grounds, its lawns, and shrubbery, render it a most attractive school - home for young ladies. The building of the beautiful chapel, music house and cloister, and the rebuilding of the residence for pupils and teachers, and also a breakwater protecting the lakefront, and costing three thousand five hundred dollars, have been under the personal direction and supervision of Dr. Everhart.
He was married in 1853, to Miss Bunner, of an old southern family in North Carolina. Of their six living children, the eldest son, who is a graduate of Racine College, and also the eldest daughter of Kemper Hall, are in Europe completing their education. Of a commanding but withal courtly presence, with a decided but suave manner, Dr. Everhart is eminently fitted for the position which he fills. Although past the prime of life, he still possesses a vigorous and healthy physique that betokens a prolonged career of usefulness. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Hon. M. Frank
M. Frank is a native of the State of New York; born in the town of Virgil, county of Cortland. He did not receive a collegiate education. His father was a respectable farmer of moderate means, and unable to incur the expense of sending his sons to college. His education was in the common schools and academic institutions in the vicinity of his home. After passing the period of his schooldays, his occupation was divided between working on his father's farm in summer, and teaching school in winter. As soon as he had attained to years of majority, he was elected town inspector of common schools, and was re-elected to that office several successive years. He was also elected, two successive years, a member of the county board of supervisors. He took an active part in the reformatory movements in Cortland County at this early period, especially the cause of temperance. In 1829 he gave the first public temperance address, which resulted in the organization of a temperance society in the town where he resided. He has ever since been a friend and advocate of the temperance reform. In 1830 he went to the town of Preble, in another part of the same county, to reside, where he engaged in the mercantile business, and continued in the trade two years. He was married in that town in 1837. During his residence in Preble, he was elected a member of the board of county supervisors, also town clerk. He moved to Wisconsin in 1839, and settled at Southport (now Kenosha), where he continued to reside, with the exception of a few months at Beloit, until his appointment to a government clerkship in 1870. He still holds his residence in Wisconsin. Southport, at the time he came to the place to reside, contained about two hundred and fifty inhabitants. In 1840 he became associated with Hon. C. L. Sholes, in the publication of "The Southport Telegraph. There were at that time but few newspapers published in Wisconsin. The Telegraph," under the editorial management of Frank and Sholes, became largely influential in Territorial politics. Mr. Frank was editorially connected with "The Telegraph" at various periods, both under Territorial and State government, equal to a continuous time of about twelve years. In 1843 he was elected a member of the Territorial legislature (council), for a term of one year, from the district of country now comprising the counties of Racine and Kenosha. He was re-elected to the same office in 1844, for a term of two years. His chief efforts while a member of the Territorial legislature were for the adoption of preliminary measures to the formation of a State government, and for a change in the common school law of the Territory, with a view to the early establishment of free schools. In both of these measures, he was unsuccessful, but did not relax the advocacy of them through the press, until the public mind was prepared for their adoption. At the first corporation election of Southport, in 1840, Mr. Frank was elected president. In 1850 the name Southport was changed to Kenosha, by act of the legislature and the village became an incorporated city. Mr. Frank was elected the first mayor. This was a year involving much responsibility on the chief officer of the city. In it had occurred the great "wheat riot" (so called), in which the city was for days kept in intense excitement, and serious consequences impended. It was also a year of frightful visitation of the cholera. On the adoption of the State constitution, in 1848, Mr. Frank was elected one of the commissioners to revise the laws. In 1854 Mr. Frank was elected county treasurer of Kenosha County for a term of two years. He was elected to the same office for a second term of two years in 1856. In 1860 he was elected a member of the assembly, and served during the session as chairman of the Committee on Railroads. He was also, the same year, appointed by the governor to fill an unexpired term on the Board of Regents of the State University; and. was subsequently chosen, on joint ballot of the legislature, to a full term of that office. In April, 1861, he was appointed by Pres. Lincoln postmaster at the city of Kenosha at the expiration of the term of four years, he was re-appointed and, after continuing in that office about six years, he was removed by Pres. Johnson for political reasons. In matters pertaining to morals and religion, Mr. Frank has always maintained a good standing, ever evincing a readiness to aid in such enterprises as gave promise of public good. He became a member of the Congregational Church at Southport (Kenosha) in 1840, which had then just been organized. His relations to that church continued until his business took him to Washington, where his church relations for the present are. [Source: "An Illustrated History of the State of Wisconsin"; By Charles Richard Tuttle; Publ. 1875; Transcribed and donated by Andrea Stawski Pack]
General Levi Grant
KENOSHA: Levi Grant was born in New Berlin, Chenango County, New York, April 25, 1810, and is the only child of Joshua and Esther (Naramore) Grant, both of whom were natives of Stonington, Connecticut. The great-grandfather of our subject was a native Scotchman, who immigrated to America previous to the revolution, and was a near relative of the ancestor of the ex-President. Joshua Grant followed the business of farming during his entire life. He moved from Connecticut to New York about the beginning of the present century, and there ended his days. Physically he was a man of massive framework and uncommon energy; in boyhood a great wrestler, and noted for feats of strength and agility. He was, moreover, a man of sterling qualities of head and heart, plain, honest, upright, and although not a member of any church, was a firm believer in Christianity and its institutions habitually read the Bible in his family and set a good example to his children. The mother of our subject was descended of English ancestors, a robust, active and energetic woman, industrious, intelligent and conscientious, of strong sympathies and deep feelings. Her name is associated in the memory of her son with the most happy and hallowed recollections. She was, through life, an exemplary member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Both had been previously married and the parents of families who survive them, but our subject was the only fruit of this union. The father died, when the son was young, in the sixty-ninth year of his age, but the mother survived her husband many years, dying at the age of seventy-five. Levi Grant received a fair English and mathematical education at the district schools of his native town, and at the age of fifteen was apprenticed to learn the art of paper manufacturing, at which business he served till the age of twenty-one. He subsequently pursued the same craft as foreman of a paper-mill in Green County, New York, for a period of five years. But like many other young men of his day, possessed of the spirit of adventure, and the West offering a wider and more promising field for its development, he removed to Wisconsin in 1836, at the age of twenty-six, and settled on a three-hundred acre tract of land in Kenosha County, some twelve miles west of the present city, which under his strong and industrious hands soon put on the habiliments of civilization, and became one of the most beautiful and highly cultivated farms in the West, the most exquisite taste being displayed in the style and arrangement of the dwelling and in the gardens, orchards, fences and general features of the surroundings. As a farmer he was eminently successful, and accumulated considerable capital. In 1856, however, becoming weary of agricultural pursuits, which required constant care and unremitting attention, he sold out his beautiful homestead and removed to Kenosha, his present home, and embarked extensively in the lumber trade, to which his attention has since been mainly devoted, with very satisfactory results. He has not only been successful as a business man, but patriotic and public spirited as a citizen. "The Grant House," one of the finest and most elegant hotels in the West, which he built, not so much as a speculative investment as a source of benefit to the city, is a monument to his exquisite taste and public beneficence. His industry, prudent business qualities and high moral character have made him one of the most substantial as well as one of the most highly esteemed citizens of the State. In his youth and early manhood he developed a taste for military tactics and gave some attention to the science of arms. Accordingly, in 1855, he was commissioned by Governor Barstow to the rank of brigadier-general of the State militia, and from this circumstance derived the title of "general," which has since clung to him, and by which he was known long before his more distinguished kinsman and namesake was heard of beyond the confines of West Point or the environs of Galena. Like his father, he is a man of great physical development, of majestic mien and fine stature, being six feet four inches in height, with a framework and muscle development in proportion ; and had he devoted his life to the profession of arms, would undoubtedly have become a distinguished soldier. In politics, Mr. Grant was always a republican; and though naturally of a modest and retiring nature, he has been several times elected to offices of trust and responsibility by his fellow-citizens. In 1843 he served one session in the lower branch of the State legislature, and in 1853 was elected to serve for a period of two years in the State senate; besides which he has held numerous local offices, always discharging the duties with consummate ability and the most rigid integrity. He has carried through life a spotless character and an unblemished reputation, which will be the richest legacy he can bequeath to his children. He was married on the 25th of April, 1832, to Miss Frances E., daughter of the late Nathaniel Etheridge, Esq., of Green County, New York, an extensive farmer and a soldier of the War of 1812. He died at Sacket's Harbor before the end of that struggle. He was the son of a native Englishman. Mrs. Grant is a lady of superior mental endowments and liberal culture, of refined tastes and high moral aspirations; of an amiable and kindly spirit, and much beloved by her neighbors and all who know her. Both she and her husband have been exemplary members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for forty-seven years, and have been for twenty years past among the leading members of the congregation of that denomination in Kenosha. Their union has been blessed with two children, one son and one daughter. The son, Emory Grant, was educated at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, from which lie graduated with honor in the class of 1856. After leaving college he engaged with his father in the lumber trade, of which he has since had the chief management. He is a gentleman of fine business talents and high moral principles. On the 29th of November 1870, he married Miss Mary A., daughter of Walden Thomas, Esq., a distinguished citizen of Chicago. The only daughter, Julia, a lady of fine accomplishments and most amiable character, is the widow of the late Julius A. Durkee, Esq., of New York City. She resides at present with her parents in Kenosha. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan
John M. Hayes
JOHN M. HAYES, Kenosha, was born at Berwick, York county, Maine, August 30, 1838, graduated from Dartmouth College in the class of 1860; taught school every winter during his collge course; studied law with Sullivan Cavimo at Lockport, New York, one year; graduated at Albany Law School, Albany, New York, in 1862; was admitted to the bar in Albany, 1862, in Chicago the same year, and in Kenosha in 1876; practiced in Chicago from 1862 to 1868, three years of which were with A. Van Buren in the firm of Van Buren & Hayes; was with Daniel L. Shorey in the firm of Shorey & Hayes, in Lockport, New York, from 1868 to 1870; again in Chicago from 1873 to 1876 and in Kenosha from 1876 to the present time as one of the firm of Van Buskirk & Hayes for a while and now alone. From 1870 to 1873 the practice of Mr. Hayes was interrupted by ill health. Mr. Hayes is a member of the fraternities of Freemasons and Odd-Fellows. In Kenosha he has been closely identified with the cause of public schools and has acted in the capacity of superintendent of them. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Sharon Witt]
James H. Howe
JAMES H. HOWE, Kenosha, was born in Turner, Maine, December 5, 1827, and was educated at academies in that state. His study of law was with Bradley & Eastman at Saco, Maine, and Timothy O. Howe at Green Bay, Wisconsin, and he was admitted to the bar at Green Bay in 1848. His practice has been in company with T. O. Howe, and W. H. Norris at Green Bay, and as general solicitor for the Chicago & Northwestern railway at Chicago. He has been attorney-general of the State of Wisconsin, and judge of the United States district court for the eastern district of Wisconsin. During the late war of the rebellion he served as colonel in the thirty-second regiment of the Wisconsin volunteer infantry. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Liz Dellinger]
Walter S. Maxwell
WALTER S. MAXWELL (Rep.),--P.O. address, Kenosha—was born in Jackson, Washington county, N.Y., September 12, 1836; was educated in the common and normal schools; is a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1850 and settled at Somers, where he was continued to reside; served as supervisor of his town various times, and as chairman in 1874, ’75 and ’76; was a member of assembly in 1877 and 1881; was elected assemblyman in 1883, receiving 1,385 votes, against 1,259 votes for Nicholas Spartz, democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) page 494; transcribed by Tammy Clark]
KENOSHA: One of the public parks in the city of Hartford, Connecticut, contains a monument upon which is engraved the names of the first settlers of that place. Among the list is that of Sylvester Mygatt. All that is recorded of him is that he came from England, and that he was one of the deacons of the Presbyterian Church of Hartford. Wallace Mygatt is a lineal descendant of him whose name adorns the Hartford monument, and was born near Clinton, Oneida County, New York, September 18, 1818. He is the son of Sylvester Mygatt, who was born and raised in Connecticut, but soon after his marriage to Miss Abi Booth, the mother of our subject, moved to the State of New York, where he purchased a farm which he afterward cultivated. He was ambitious to give his children the very best education possible, and to this end withheld neither means nor endeavors of any kind in the tuition of his older sons; but experience soon taught him that educational acquirements caused them to desert the homestead and engage in professional or mercantile pursuits as soon as they came of age. Not wishing to exile from home the last of his sons — our subject - he varied his practice somewhat in his case and tried to restrain him from too intimate an acquaintance with the schools. There was a large farm to cultivate, and after arriving at a suitable age for work, Wallace usually labored seven months of the year in the fields, and devoted the remainder of the time to attendance at a country school When about fifteen years of age he attended what was termed the "High School," situated at Paris Hill, in his native county, during two terms, aggregating six months; and thus, with the cultivation of his natural gifts, which were of a very high order, he became one of the most accomplished men of his day, possessing a talent well qualified for the production of fictitious literature. He was raised under peculiar influences. Descended from Puritanic ancestors, his parents inherited many of the peculiar views of that excellent but austere people. His father conceived it best to withhold from his children all books except the Bible, commentaries upon the same, and works upon agriculture and husbandry. His mother considered that the story of the farmer pelting the fruit-stealing boy from his apple-tree, first with grass and afterward with stones, should be eliminated from the school-books as manifestly untruthful. Whether she thought the farmer would not be so great a fool as to try the experiment of driving a "rude boy" from his fruit-tree with "tufts of grass," or that the boy was too virtuous to steal his neighbor's apples, is not known; but she regarded the story as improbable, and therefore calculated to mislead, and consequently of a vicious character. There was, however, a tendency on the part of the families of both parents toward "word painting," which caused an "irrepressible conflict" on his mother's part between duty and inclination, she believing that all intensifications or variations, verbal or written, of the words "yea" and "nay," were sinful, and should be evaded; but in spite of all educational bias to the contrary, the trait of character alluded to took effect in and is largely inherited by our subject, who, from an early period, indulged the natural bent of his mind in writing stories for his own amusement and that of others; the discipline under which he was held, however, was so exact that he was obliged to restrict this indulgence to times "when the moon lit her watchtower in the clouds," and some of his best stories were written by the pale light of the aforesaid luminary. On reaching his majority Wallace followed the example of his older brothers, and quit the paternal roof, striking at once for the broad prairies of the West, where his fancies would have ample scope for indulgence, arriving at Kenosha, Wisconsin, on the 29th of October 1839. He was followed by his father and the rest of the family in the month of June succeeding. They "squatted" upon a section of government land some three miles west of Racine, since known as " Mygatt's Comer." Our subject again united with the family, and assisted his father in making the necessary improvements, and in the cultivation of the "new land" upon which he had located, until the year 1842, at which time he commenced the publication and editorial management of a newspaper at Kenosha, Wisconsin. After devoting two years to this enterprise he leased his paper to Lewis P. Harvey, who was afterward governor of the State. Six years later he was again the editor and publisher of the paper, which he finally disposed of in 1849. Since that date he has been engaged in merchandising as a chief employment, devoting a considerable portion of his time, however, to the writing of articles for newspapers in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan, and also, at times, giving to fancy freedom in the production of a romance or a verse of poetry. Not a few of the products of his pen, in both prose and verse, have attained to great popularity and wide circulation. He has held the office of deputy United States marshal since the 20th May, 1850, and is still the incumbent of that office, and likely to be during the remainder of his lifetime. He also acted as foreman of the United States engineer corps in the improvement of the harbor of Kenosha during the years 1870, 1871 and 1872, and is the author of an authentic chart of the harbor, of which the marine editor of the "Inter-Ocean" says: "It is beautifully gotten up, and what is better, is as accurate as any government chart could be, reflecting the greatest credit upon Mr. Mygatt. The most important figures as to depth of water were taken from it and printed in the Inter-Ocean a day or two since." In politics he has always acted with the republican party, exercising considerable influence in his locality. He has likewise for many years been an uncompromising enemy of intoxicating drinks, and a staunch supporter of the cause of total abstinence. Most of his pen-productions are designed to point a moral in this direction, and it cannot be denied that in this cause he wields a trenchant pen. In reviewing his life, however, he says that the only praiseworthy things he has ever accomplished were the saving of two men from drowning, and doing all in his power to save a third, also, the saving of a child from a like untimely end, which he did in the years 1835 and 1843. In February 1846, he was married to Miss Mary J. Gibson, a native of New Hampshire. The result of this union was four children, all sons, named in the order of their birth, Theodore, Frederick, William, and Beauregard. Brought up in the Calvinistic faith, he still holds to the belief of his fathers, with some slight modifications. He believes the Bible accounts of the creation to be literally true, and that those geologists who imagine the formations on the earth's surface to be antagonistic thereto are mere superficial investigators, or, in other words, they are pretenders and empirics. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Dan Newcomb, M.D.
KENOSHA - The subject of this biography, a native of Fayston, Vermont, was born August 25, 1829, the son of Hosea Newcomb and Harriet nee Bixby, both of whom are still living. He is a direct descendant of Captain Francis Newcomb, who immigrated from England to America in 1635. His parents, steady, industrious and decided in all their habits, are practical exponents of blameless Christian lives, whose influence and example have left an impress that marks the life of the son. His mind was early turned toward the medical profession, and after completing his elementary studies at Montpelier Academy and Newberry Seminary, Vermont, he took his first course of medical studies at the Vermont Medical College, of Woodstock. He afterward attended the New York College of Physicians and Surgeons, and also attended the clinique of the celebrated Bellvue Hospital, and finally completed his course and received his diploma from the old Berkshire Medical College of Pittsfield, Massachusetts. In 1870 he was honored with the ad eundem degree of M.D. by the Northwestern University. Removing to Bangor, New York, in 1852, Dr. Newcomb there began his practice. Three years later he established himself in Cabor, Vermont, and after two years removed to the West and settled at Atchison, Kansas. Here his popularity secured his election as register of deeds, an honorable and responsible office; and afterward, against his own wishes, he was nominated for county judge, and lacked but fifteen votes of securing an election. While the Pike's Peak country was yet a part of the Territory of Kansas, he, with A. D. Richardson, of the New York "Tribune," and a Mr. King, were by the legislature appointed commissioners to locate the counties and county seats. In the face of a strong opposition on the part of the citizens of Denver they proceeded to enter upon their duties, but were relieved from their task by the congress of the United States declaring the formation of the Territory of Colorado. In 1860 he established himself in his profession at Palatine, Cook County, Illinois, whence he afterward removed to Park Ridge, a suburban village of Chicago. Here he became largely interested in the University Publishing Company, and was one of the founders of that short-lived periodical known as the "Lakeside Monthly Magazine." That a magazine of such a character should prove a failure surprised many, and can be accounted for only with the probable reason that the West was then too new for such a literary undertaking. Although not prominent in the enterprise, Dr. Newcomb suffered a considerable loss. He has but recently removed to Kenosha, Wisconsin, which he has decided upon as his future home, but during his brief residence has made many warm friends, and begun a practice ahead prosperous and lucrative. He makes a specialty of the diseases of children, and has met with remarkable success in this branch of his profession. A thorough scholar, clear thinker and ready writer, he has made valuable contributions to medical literature. In a popular book on "Hygiene for Children," he takes a high position as a Christian scientist and philosopher. In "When and How," he teaches that nature has laws, and that if we would work in harmony with those laws, we must interpret the teachings that come to us instinctively, and then follow all the lessons of the Infinite Creator, as far above the teachings of the finite creature. The work was a practical attempt to "look thro' nature up to nature's God," and as such was accepted by Christian circles in this country, and won for its author a wide and worthy reputation.
Politically Dr. Newcomb is identified with the republican party. Not a partisan, however, he carefully weighs the honest motives of men and politics, and gives his support to the right as he understands it. Personally he is tall, well proportioned and robust in appearance, and has an expression of thoughtfulness and intelligence. Wherever he has lived there are many who attest his worth as a physician and surgeon, and all who know him recognize him as a gentleman, kind and courteous in manners, prompt in business, thoroughly reliable, and strictly temperate in his habits. In 1851 he was married to Miss C. Helen Smith, a lady of attractive appearance and fine intellectual endowments. Similar in their tastes, both members of the Methodist Episcopal church, their home has been one of happiness, and if not affluent, at least prosperous. They have had but one child, a son, who died in 1865. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Lieut. Gov. Milton H. Petitt
KENOSHA - MILTON HOWARD PETTIT, a native of Fabius, Onondago county, New York, was born on the 22d of October, 1825, and was the son of George and Jane Upfold Pettit. His ancestors in his father’s line were from the French Huguenots, who were obliged to flee from their native country on the revocation of the “Edict of Nantes,” in the reign of Louis XIV, embarked for America in the fall of 1685, and arrived in New York after a perilous voyage of two months’ duration. Settling on a beautiful tract of land a few miles above the city, on the banks of the East river, they named the place New Rochelle, in honor of their old home in France. Here John Pettit, great-great-grandfather of our subject, died about the year 1765, leaving two children, John and Jonathan, Of these, Jonathan removed to Sharon, Connecticut, and there married Miss Agnes Riddell, daughter of a Scotch-Irish gentleman. He soon afterward removed to Stillwater, New York, and during the revolutionary war left his young wife in Albany and entered the continental service. His son, George Pettit, the father of Milton H., was born in Albany, and was a young man when his fathers’ family of six sons and one daughter--James, George, Jonathan, David, Melancthon, John and Agnes--removed to Sherburn, Chenango county, and thence to Fabius, New York, where he died, a few years since, a most highly esteemed citizen, having been judge of the county court for a number of years, and twice a member of the State legislature. Milton passed his boyhood and youth in his native place, on his father’s farm, and received his education in the public schools and Pompey Academy.
In 1846 he removed to Wisconsin, and settled on a farm about three miles from Kenosha. Leaving his farm in 1854, he removed to Kenosha and engaged in grain buying, and soon afterward in malting. His business prospered from the first, and he soon became an extensive grain dealer and owner of one of the largest malt establishments in his State. His entire career was marked by honorable and fair dealing, and he became widely known as a thoroughly qualified business man, and succeeded in accumulating an ample fortune. Mr. Pettit was a man of decided political views, and was identified with the republican party, being a true lover of freedom and equality. In the years 1854 and 1859 he was a member of the city council, and was elected mayor in 1861, 1865, 1867 and 1870, and discharged the duties of his office with ability and fidelity. In 1869 he was elected in the State election of 1871. At president of the senate he maintained the esteem and confidence of all, and as acting governor, in the absence of Governor Washburn, discharged the duties of that office with marked ability and credit. During the latter part of his service as lieutenant-governor, his health became much impaired , but not knowing his danger, he continued his labors till the close of the legislature, occupying the chair up to within three days of his death. He was in his place on Monday in both forenoon and evening sessions, and at the afternoon session of the following day the senate passed the following resolution:
Resolved, That the most sincere thanks of the senate are due, and are hereby tendered, Hon. M. H. Pettit, lieutenant-governor, for the eminent ability, impartiality and courtesy with which he has presided over the deliberations of this body during the present session.
To which Mr. Pettit responded in the following words: SENATORS: I desire to say, in response to the resolution so kindly offered and unanimously adopted by you, I sincerely thank you!
My aim has been, as my promise was at the commencement of the season, to deal fairly with you all, and if at any time I have seemed to do otherwise, it has been the result of inattention to my duties owing to the state of my health. To me the session has been very pleasant. Acquaintances have been made which to me have been desirable, and have grown into an affection and esteem which I shall fondly cherish through subsequent life.
At the close of the legislature he returned to his home, expecting to regain his health. His days, however, were numbered. On Sunday evening, March 23, 1873, he died, aged forty-seven years, five months and one day. The suddenness of his death was a surprise to all. The State showed its sorrow by placing the flag at half-mast and draping the capitol, and the State offices were closed on the day of the funeral; obituaries, speaking of him in the highest terms as a legislator and presiding officer, were published throughout the State, while the common council of his own home paid their respect to his ability, virtue and social worth in the most highly complimentary resolutions. In his death the State lost an honest and faithful officer, the business public a loyal citizen, the social community a genial and courteous member, and his own family an affectionate husband and fond father. His family alone could duly appreciate his loss; but in the midst of their sorrow they were cheered by the thought, "he still lives," and bowing ‘neath the rod could say, "He doeth all things well."
Mr. Pettit was reared under Baptist influences, though he himself was exceedingly liberal in his religious sentiments.
He was married in 1847 to Miss Caroline D. Marsh, a farmer’s daughter, of Kenosha county. Their married life was one of constant happiness, and their union was blest with seven children, of whom one son and two daughters still survive. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) Transcribed by: RuthAnne Wilke]
Joseph Very Quarles
JOSEPH VERY QUARLES (Rep.), of Kenosha county, was born in Kenosha, December 16, 1844; graduated at the Michigan University in the classical and literary department, 1866; is by profession a lawyer; was First Lieutenant of Company C., 39th Regiment Wisconsin Infantry; was district attorney of Kenosha county for six years, president of the board of education for 1877 and ’78, and mayor of Kenosha in 1876; member of assembly for 1879; was elected state senator in 1879, receiving a majority of 2,607 over R. S. Houston (Dem). [Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Hon. Frederick Robinson
KENOSHA: Frederick Robinson was born in Church - Stretton, Shropshire, England, March 11, 1824, and is the ninth and youngest child of John and Elizabeth (Taylor) Robinson, both natives of the same place. His father was a merchant and a man of much force of character, and a leader and reformer in his day. He advocated the closing of saloons early in the evening, and the keeping of them closed during church service on Sunday. He was also a loyal member of the Church of England and quite influential in his parish. He died at an early age, when our subject was but eighteen months old. His widow, who was a vigorous and gifted woman, assumed the management of the business and household after the death of her husband, and devoted all her energies to the education and moral training of her children. She died in 1857, at the age of seventy-five.
Frederick was educated at a private school in all the English branches, mathematics and the Latin language. But in early life he suffered from feeble health, which retarded his progress in learning. He was a steady and conscientious boy, rather retiring in disposition, and selected his companions from youth of similar character. He was always fond of amusements that contributed to the development of his mental and physical powers, and was willing to pay his full share of the incidental expenses; but he was always noted for prudence in his financial affairs, and never purchased anything until he knew exactly whence the money was to come with which to pay for it, a principle by which he has been governed through life, and which has kept him out of debt and out of trouble. At the age of sixteen he was apprenticed to learn the drug business, to which, for five years, he devoted his entire time and energies, studying incessantly to master his business. He early trained himself to punctuality and regularity in his appointments, never broke his word, and was remarkably tenacious of his plans and purposes, never giving up a project while there was the slightest hope of success.
After the expiration of his apprenticeship he immigrated to the United States, landing in New York city in the spring of 1845, where he obtained a clerkship in a drug store at eight dollars per month, and afterward in the wholesale drug house of M. Ward, Close and Co., at twenty-four dollars per month. After remaining a short time in that city he resolved to go west, and intimated his purpose to his employers, who were so favorably impressed with his character that they gave him a six-weeks leave of absence, continuing his wages, should he return to their employment, and in the event of his deciding to remain in the West, offered to set him up in business. Accordingly in the spring of 1846 he removed to Chicago, and after remaining there a short time went to Kenosha, where he passed the winter, and in the spring of the following year started on foot to find a location where he could commence business. He walked through the lake-shore towns to Sheboygan, thence to Fond du Lac, returning via Watertown, but saw no point he liked as well as Kenosha, and accordingly resolved to make that place his future home. Here he commenced business in the autumn of 1847, and has since continued with good success, his old friends and former employers. Ward, Close and Co., proving quite as good as their promise. It is needless to add that his honest and manly efforts, coupled with his high moral principles, have been rewarded with success, and that Frederick Robinson is now one of the most substantial and influential men of his city.
In 1867 he purchased a third interest in the Whitaker Engine and Skein Company, of Kenosha. He is also the owner of a farm of one hundred and sixty acres of choice land adjoining the city, which is under a high state of cultivation, and to which he gives considerable personal attention. He has always been a man of public spirit, taking a lively interest in whatever seemed to be for the benefit of the city or community.
He served as alderman of the city of Kenosha in 1852, 1858 and 1868; he was chief engineer of the fire department in 1850, i860 and 1872; chairman of the county board in 1868; mayor of the city in 1862-3 and 1869; member of the State legislature in 1872 and 1876; and president of the County Agricultural Society in 1877.
He became a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1848, and has held the offices of secretary, treasurer, vice-noble grand, and high priest, in the order. He joined the Masonic order in 1852, and has held several offices in that fraternity.
In political opinions he is democratic, though not a partisan. Before immigrating to America he informed himself of the resources, political freedom and great prospects of this country, and always held the opinion that men and not property should vote. During the rebellion he was known as a "war democrat."
Mr. Robinson is a man of active temperament, a good and successful business man, and has filled with ability, zeal and credit the various political offices to which the suffrages of his fellow-citizens elected him, and was one of the most popular chief magistrates the city has had, while as a legislator he gave his support to measures calculated to benefit the city and State of his adoption. As a farmer and gardener he displays exquisite taste and judgment, and his country home is one of the most ornate and elegantly appointed in the county. On the 3d of October 1852, he was married to Miss Ann Bertholf, a native of Illinois, whose parents removed there from New York in 1831. They have had a family of fourteen children, seven of whom are living, namely, Alma Elizabeth, Richard Taylor, Ida Ann, Emma Eliza, Maria Louisa, Frederick, junior, and Harry Bertholf. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
William Henry Roddle
WILLIAM HENRY RODDLE, one of the pioneer settlers of what is now the attractive city of Brookings, is a native of the Badger state, which has made many contributions to the personnel of the best citizenship of South Dakota. He was born on a farm in Kenosha county Wisconsin, on the 28th of December, 1850, being a son of William and Mary Roddle, the former of whom was born in England and the latter in New York city. For many generations the Roddle family has been identified with agricultural pursuits in the south of England, while the ancestors of the subject's mother were among the first to settle in what is now New York city, the lineage being of Holland Dutch extraction. The parents of the subject removed in 1860 from Wisconsin to Wilton, Waseca county, Minnesota, residing there until the time of their deaths, and were numbered among the sterling pioneers of that state. William H. Roddle received his rudimentary education in the district schools and passed his boyhood days on the homestead farm, later continuing his studies in the public schools. In 1869, at the age of nineteen years, he secured a position as apprentice in a hardware establishment in Waseca, Minnesota, where he remained for the ensuing decade, during the last three years a member of the firm of J. M. Robertson & Company, at the expiration of which, in 1879, he came as a pioneer to the territory of Dakota and took up his residence in the little village of Medary, the then county seat of Brookings county. In October, 1879, he established himself in the hardware business in Brookings, South Dakota, meeting with success in the prosecution of the enterprise, with which he continued to be actively identified until 1896, when he disposed of his interests in this line. He took up the study of law a number of years ago and finally determined to complete a thorough course of technical reading, the result being that he thoroughly informed himself in the science of jurisprudence and was admitted to the bar of the state in 1901, since which time he has been successfully engaged in the practice in the city in which he has for so many years maintained his home, being a member of the well-known and representative law firm of Hall, Lawrence & Roddle.
In politics Mr. Roddle has ever been found stanchly arrayed in support of the principles and policies of the Republican party, in whose ranks he has been an active and efficient worker in South Dakota, both under the territorial and state regimes. In 1892 he was elected treasurer of Brookings county and was chosen as his own successor in 1894, thus serving four consecutive years. In 1896 he was the candidate of his party for the office of secretary of state, being victorious at the polls, where he secured a gratifying majority, and giving a most able and discriminating administration of the affairs of the important office. The popular appreciation of his services in this capacity was significantly manifested in 1898, when he was elected to succeed himself. Mr. Roddle is one of the prominent and appreciative members of the ancient and honored Masonic fraternity, and has the distinction of being past grand master of Masons of the state. His affiliations are with Brookings Lodge, No. 24, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons ; Brookings Chapter, No. 18, Royal Arch Masons ; Brookings Commandery, No. 14, Knights Templar; El Riad Temple of the Ancient Arabic Order of the ^Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, in Sioux Falls, and Brookings Chapter, No. 15, Order of the Eastern Star, while he is also identified with Brookings Lodge, No. 40, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in his home city, being one of its charter members. On the 1st of January, 1876, Mr. Roddle was united in marriage to Miss Fannie R. Stevens, who was born in Waushara county, Wisconsin, on the 2 1st of June, 1856, being a daughter of Royce F. and Lucinda M. Stevens. Of this union have been born two daughters, Man,- E., wife of F. J. Alton, of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and Anna F., who died in infancy. [Source: History of South Dakota by Doane Robinson 1901; submitted by FoFG BZ]
Ernst G. Timme
ERNST G. TIMME of Kenosha, Kenosha county, was born in Werden, Rhine Province of Prussia, June 21, 1843; received a common school education before the war and graduated from a commercial college at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1865. He is by occupation a teacher and clerk; came to Wisconsin in 1848 and settled at Wheatland, Kenosha county, where he resided until 1866; enlisted in August 1861 as a private in Co. C, 1st Wis. Vol. Infantry; took part in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Hoover Gap and all of the minor engagements of the 14th army corps, until the battle of Chickamauga, on the second day of which—September 20, 18?3—while resisting an attempt to take a battery, he lost his left arm. For gallantry displayed in this engagement he was commissioned as captain by brevet, but after eight months in the hospital he was honorably discharged, the amputated arm not healing until a year later. He was held various local offices and held the position of county clerk of Kenosha county from January 1867 to January 1, 1882; was a prominent candidate for the office of secretary of state in the republican convention in 1877, and was elected as a republican to that office in 1881, receiving 83,071 votes against 70,141 for Michael Johnson, democrat, 11,643 votes for Edmund Bartleet, prohibitionist, and 6,747 for Wilson Hipkins, greenbacker. [Source: Blue Book of the State of Wisconsin for (1882) page 525; transcribed by Tammy Clark]
ERNST G. TIMME of Kenosha, Kenosha county, was born in Werden, Rhine Province of Prussia, June 21, 1843; received a common school education before the war, and graduated from a commercial college at Cleveland, Ohio in 1865. He is by occupation a teacher and clerk; came to Wisconsin in 1848 and settled at Wheatland, Kenosha county, where he resided until 1866; enlisted in August 1861 as a private in Co. C, 1st Wis. Vol. Infantry; took part in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Hoover Gap and all of the minor engagements of the 14th army corps, until the battle of Chickamauga, on the second day of which – September 20, 1863 – while resisting an attempt to take a battery, he lost his left arm. For gallantry displayed in this engagement he was commissioned as captain by brevet, but after eight months in the hospital he was honorably discharged, the amputated arm not healing until a year later. He has held various local offices and held the position of county clerk of Kenosha county from January 1867 to January 1, 1882; was a prominent candidate for the office of secretary of state in the republican convention in 1877, and was elected as a republican to that office in 1881, receiving 83,071 votes against 70,141 for Michael Johnson, democrat, 11,643 votes for Edmund Bartlett, prohibitionist, and 6,747 for Wilson Hopkins, greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
John B. Vosburgh
JOHN B. VOSBURGH (Rep.), of Randall – Post office address Richmond, Ill. – was born in Naples, Ontario county, New York, June 10, 1838; received a common school education; is by occupation a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1856 and settled at Randall, where he still resides; was commissioned captain of Co. B. 48th Wis. Vol. Inf. February 25, 1865, and was mustered out February 28th the following year, having served most of the time among the Indians on the frontier he has held the office of town supervisor eight out of the last fourteen years, six of them as chairman of the board; was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 1,229 votes against 920 for S. B. Van Buskirk, democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 550; transcribed by Mary Saggio]
CORNELIUS WILLIAMS (Rep.), of Bristol, Kenosha county, was born September 16, 1819, in Copake, Columbia county, New York; had a common school education; is a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1834, and settled at Bristol; has held various local offices; was elected assemblyman by 1,271 votes against 868 for John Tuttle, Democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails